2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.35/5

TrueCar is dedicating to make buying a car “simple, fair and fun.” TrueCar’s claim to fame is offering consumers data on the “fair price” of a vehicle. The pricing data can be printed off in the form of a certificate and presented to participating dealerships in order to lock in a price on a vehicle. TrueCar only works with certified dealers to offer verified pricing. The TrueCar price does not include sales tax, state tax or federal tax.

BOTTOM LINE

TrueCar partners with dealerships to offer specialized price report certificates. The prices are not always the cheapest, but some consumers report enjoying the no-haggle experience.

PROS

• No haggling
  • Free
  • Straightforward pricing
  • TrueCar app available

CONS

• Deals only available from partnered dealerships
  • Some deals are just average

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

What is TrueCar?

TrueCar is an online car buying site for new and used cars. TrueCar partners with dealerships across the country to offer consumers a pre-determined price that is meant to be lower than what you would traditionally find at a physical car dealership.

How does TrueCar work?

TrueCar works by offering customers the “true” value of a vehicle — in other words, the TrueCar pricing breakdown includes the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price), savings offered by the dealer, and additional fees for accessories and dealer documents. The TrueCar price is what other consumers were offered, not necessarily what other consumers paid for the same vehicle.

TrueCar charges dealerships when a customer buys a vehicle through their website, so there is no fee for customers to use their service. The process is nearly identical to buying a car in traditional circumstances, even down to the fact TrueCar also leases vehicles.  Truecar used cars are available in addition to new cars.

Does True Car really work?

Yes and no. To receive a price certificate, you have to submit specific information to the TrueCar website. The price certificate you receive will lock in a fixed cost at participating TrueCar-certified dealerships. However, you should be aware that price isn’t necessarily a good deal — it’s usually just the MSRP with additional rebates included that apply to any buyer off the street. And remember: You might receive more emails and phone calls than you want as a result. If you feel the price presented to you by TrueCar is fair, then there’s no real risk involved, and it does take haggling out of the car buying process.

Truecar complaints

TrueCar has faced its fair share of controversy over the years. A quick Google search shows that many consumers are dissatisfied with the TrueCar experience. Others do not trust its business model and don’t feel it really works to get consumers the best deal or the true car price. Some journalists and researchers have pointed out that the savings included in the TrueCar report often includes rebates and other discounts available to every buyer of the car, regardless of whether or not you buy a car through TrueCar.

Is TrueCar good?

We can’t fully recommend TrueCar because their savings method can be deceptive. There are TrueCar alternatives if you want to buy a car and avoid haggling. However, some consumers are satisfied with their pricing through TrueCar.  If you feel the price offered by TrueCar is worth it, and you don’t want to haggle, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

TrueCar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

TrueCar was great experience. It made the process so much faster. We were able to narrow our search, arrange to see the vehicle and complete the purchase within very quickly. I highly recommend TrueCar! We will use TrueCar when we look for our next vehicle!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

TrueCar is amazing. I ended up getting an amazing deal on the 2017 Lincoln MKC that I bought thanks to True Car. I would definitely recommend using TrueCar and I personally will use them again for the next vehicle I purchase. When you click on the check availability button you immediately receive an email with the TrueCar price. Sometimes the price is what is quoted on the site and sometimes like in my case the price is a little cheaper. The site gave me a complete break down of what fees I would be expected to pay at the dealership. You are contacted almost immediately with an email and/or a phone call. The dealership I went to honored everything on my TrueCar certificate and I appreciated that even more. There are several car buying sites to look at but I recommend checking out TrueCar first.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 11, 2020

This was my first online purchase of a new vehicle and it was by far the best experience I’ve ever had in purchasing a new vehicle. I received quotes from numerous Toyota dealerships in my state and I could pick which one I preferred to deal with and got the price that I was happy with.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have used the site two times when purchasing a new car with great success. I have recommend to family and friends and they too found the site very helpful. It may take a little time to work through the site but once you do and it fairly easy after that.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have found the Auto Dealers are not paying too much attention to these recommended prices as suggested by the car buying sites. Not sure these sites have the relevance they once had. A couple of years back, however, I thought they provided a worthwhile service. It was comforting to walk into the dealership with hard number in mind and begin negotiations around that number.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

TrueCar is a ruse by providing a lower auto quote at a connected dealership. Once you get to the dealership the price is higher. TrueCar does not send alerts that there is a price change for Honda SUV. I would not recommend TrueCar.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Truecar was a great experience, low prices, great reviews and easy to use. I would, I have recommended Truecar to friends as well as family. Try the app, it’s easy to use and receive alerts from dealers local and out of state.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I have used TrueCar twice. Once to purchase and just this week to sell. Both times through USAA. I confirmed by phone the purchase price and that there were no add-ons. When I arrived at the dealer the price was $1895 higher, plus normal docs fees and registration. Arguing with the sales manager, I was told "TrueCar does not set our prices" and "we must advertise the lowest price to bring customers in"! I contacted TrueCar who told me "some dealers don't comply, there's nothing we can do."

I just completed the online TrueCar to sell my car. According to my TrueCar email "4 Certified Dealers want to buy your vehicle". There was a "certified offer price" but no details about the 4 dealers or how to contact them. I got an email from one dealer, presumably through TrueCar. After an hour of providing to them all the same information they offered $1500 less without even inspecting the car. TrueCar is clearly a scam to drive unsuspecting consumers to dealers so consumers can "enjoy" standard abuse from car dealers. USAA needs to protect its brand and discontinue TrueCar referrals!!!

Original review: July 8, 2020

I login into this site to compare auto prices with other dealer that were in my family ZIP code who works in the dealership. Did not make inquiry and dealership was charged a 299 fee in which should not be charged since I was getting family discount. I believe Truecar app should disclose this information to the consumer.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I used this service to buy my last two cars, one used the other brand new. Last time I used the side was 2 years ago. The experience before was great, the dealers respected the deal. No funny charges after sending the deal through TrueCar. This year I started to look for a used CAR, the experience now is really not good. Truecar sent you the deal and when you start the deal with the dealers start the back and forth. They want to add numerous charges to the price that TRUECAR provided to you. For example the last one wants to add 998 US for paint insurance, 1000 for registration and plates and so on. ADVISE. Open your eyes and review everything they send. TRUECAR YOU NEED TO STEP UP AND PROTECT YOUR CUSTOMERS.

TrueCar Company Information