4.08/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

TrueCar

TrueCar is dedicating to make buying a car “simple, fair and fun.” TrueCar’s claim to fame is offering consumers data on the “fair price” of a vehicle. The pricing data can be printed off in the form of a certificate and presented to participating dealerships in order to lock in a price on a vehicle. TrueCar only works with certified dealers to offer verified pricing. The TrueCar price does not include sales tax, state tax or federal tax.

BOTTOM LINE

TrueCar partners with dealerships to offer specialized price report certificates. The prices are not always the cheapest, but some consumers report enjoying the no-haggle experience.

PROS

• No haggling
    • Free
    • Straightforward pricing
    • TrueCar app available

CONS

• Deals only available from partnered dealerships
    • Some deals are just average

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

What is TrueCar?

TrueCar is an online car buying site for new and used cars. TrueCar partners with dealerships across the country to offer consumers a pre-determined price that is meant to be lower than what you would traditionally find at a physical car dealership.

How does TrueCar work?

TrueCar works by offering customers the “true” value of a vehicle — in other words, the TrueCar pricing breakdown includes the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price), savings offered by the dealer, and additional fees for accessories and dealer documents. The TrueCar price is what other consumers were offered, not necessarily what other consumers paid for the same vehicle.

TrueCar charges dealerships when a customer buys a vehicle through their website, so there is no fee for customers to use their service. The process is nearly identical to buying a car in traditional circumstances, even down to the fact TrueCar also leases vehicles.  Truecar used cars are available in addition to new cars.

Does True Car really work?

Yes and no. To receive a price certificate, you have to submit specific information to the TrueCar website. The price certificate you receive will lock in a fixed cost at participating TrueCar-certified dealerships. However, you should be aware that price isn’t necessarily a good deal — it’s usually just the MSRP with additional rebates included that apply to any buyer off the street. And remember: You might receive more emails and phone calls than you want as a result. If you feel the price presented to you by TrueCar is fair, then there’s no real risk involved, and it does take haggling out of the car buying process.

Truecar complaints

TrueCar has faced its fair share of controversy over the years. A quick Google search shows that many consumers are dissatisfied with the TrueCar experience. Others do not trust its business model and don’t feel it really works to get consumers the best deal or the true car price. Some journalists and researchers have pointed out that the savings included in the TrueCar report often includes rebates and other discounts available to every buyer of the car, regardless of whether or not you buy a car through TrueCar.

Is TrueCar good?

We can’t fully recommend TrueCar because their savings method can be deceptive. There are TrueCar alternatives if you want to buy a car and avoid haggling. However, some consumers are satisfied with their pricing through TrueCar.  If you feel the price offered by TrueCar is worth it, and you don’t want to haggle, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

24 TrueCar Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2019

It's easy to find. They give you all the information you'll possibly need when it comes to looking for a vehicle you search for the kind of car you really want and they'll immediately find one for just for you. But they don't give you the results right away. You'll sometimes put in an email for a vehicle that you specifically want. It's pretty annoying after a while but other than that you'll need to do so much paperwork other than your regular information. Yet my experiences are really good surprisingly. I always think that they would sometimes be just absolutely useless but they always turn out good. So other than that I'd say overall it's a good thing to look for a car online rather than having to go in stores to see different cars with different miles.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I was able to find cars in the approximate of what I was looking for and compare prices & see where I can purchase from those I picked out. It was easy to see the various car prices in locations around the areas I would travel to within my allowable driving distance. It had a wide variety of vehicles with various prices so I could make the best decision on what car for the best prices in the range of cars I wanted and best price. I went to other car sites & this had a good overall of the various areas that was within my driving distance. I wouldn't change much besides having maybe more of the interior of the car & maybe 360 view that you can scroll through. Better pictures of the cars, but not much else as I liked the layout & ease of searching.

Get expert buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I was able to browse many more cars than would be available lot. I was able to start with a large amount of options that I could narrow down based on my wants and needs. I was able to take my time and just look without feeling pressured to buy. I chose this site because it has been used by several family members and friends that all recommended I check it out. Every person I spoke to had only positive experiences and gave only praise. The only negative part was not physically touching the car but many photos were available in many different angles and views which made it seem more realistic even though I wasn't there in person.

Original review: June 25, 2019

This website offers all the relevant information to help one make a wiser choice when looking to purchase an automobile online or offline. The many things and attributes that I got from this car website was the ease of locating the proper information I needed to find about the type of vehicle that I may or may not purchase. Other automobile websites aren't as informative as this one and one has to search through all of them just to find the information I'm searching for. My overall experience with this car website was very useful and offered very relevant information about what type of automobiles and the features I wanted and those that I didn't want. I could easily navigate the website to find out the information that I needed to help make a smart purchasing decision.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I like the UI on the website. It made navigation super easy for me and I could find stuff quickly. It was nice to have. I also liked that the website was light to use and I could have kind of a similar design on mobiles. But I wanted better filters. I would also have loved if I had features that allowed me to compare multiple cars simultaneously. I would also like the features to be a bit easier to upload information to, maybe I could just put in VINs to compare them. Still, it was easy to browse and find cars that I like. I saw the car I wanted and compared pricing. I then made sure to record the price and kept it as notes for myself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?

Original review: July 7, 2019

The car site is a relief because it is very easy to use. I use it a lot every time I'm buying a new car! I would suggest for others to use it because of the customer service. With the car site, it’s a click away. It has beautiful cars for great deals and it should have more attention towards its way and it's free so all you have to do is apply information and get the car you want for a good deal. It is the best car site. I really love it.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Truecar car is a very good website. They make it really easy for you to try to find a car that you want and fits all your needs. Truecar is one of the best car online shopping websites out there. I really recommend Truecar. There's a lot of different websites out there but when I came down to it I never really had any other choice but I knew I had to choose Truecar.com because it's just great. I love everything. I have bought two cars from there already and I plan on buying more and future.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I had a good experience with this car site and one that I will continue to use because it had everything I needed when looking up information on certain vehicles to help me make an informed decision. It was informative. It was a lot easier to use over other sites because it was easy to search on the site. But maybe they could make it easier to compare information based off of other websites.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I really enjoyed using TrueCar, they have a well-organized site. Have a lot of selections on the site. Lots of pictures of the different vehicles.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I was able to shop a broad selection, get an equitable price and a Carfax report. I was able to go to the dealership and purchase the vehicle I chose. I will use TrueCar the next time I am shopping for a vehicle.

TrueCar Company Information