2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

TrueCar is dedicating to make buying a car “simple, fair and fun.” TrueCar’s claim to fame is offering consumers data on the “fair price” of a vehicle. The pricing data can be printed off in the form of a certificate and presented to participating dealerships in order to lock in a price on a vehicle. TrueCar only works with certified dealers to offer verified pricing. The TrueCar price does not include sales tax, state tax or federal tax.

BOTTOM LINE

TrueCar partners with dealerships to offer specialized price report certificates. The prices are not always the cheapest, but some consumers report enjoying the no-haggle experience.

PROS

• No haggling
  • Free
  • Straightforward pricing
  • TrueCar app available

CONS

• Deals only available from partnered dealerships
  • Some deals are just average

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

What is TrueCar?

TrueCar is an online car buying site for new and used cars. TrueCar partners with dealerships across the country to offer consumers a pre-determined price that is meant to be lower than what you would traditionally find at a physical car dealership.

How does TrueCar work?

TrueCar works by offering customers the “true” value of a vehicle — in other words, the TrueCar pricing breakdown includes the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price), savings offered by the dealer, and additional fees for accessories and dealer documents. The TrueCar price is what other consumers were offered, not necessarily what other consumers paid for the same vehicle.

TrueCar charges dealerships when a customer buys a vehicle through their website, so there is no fee for customers to use their service. The process is nearly identical to buying a car in traditional circumstances, even down to the fact TrueCar also leases vehicles.  Truecar used cars are available in addition to new cars.

Does True Car really work?

Yes and no. To receive a price certificate, you have to submit specific information to the TrueCar website. The price certificate you receive will lock in a fixed cost at participating TrueCar-certified dealerships. However, you should be aware that price isn’t necessarily a good deal — it’s usually just the MSRP with additional rebates included that apply to any buyer off the street. And remember: You might receive more emails and phone calls than you want as a result. If you feel the price presented to you by TrueCar is fair, then there’s no real risk involved, and it does take haggling out of the car buying process.

Truecar complaints

TrueCar has faced its fair share of controversy over the years. A quick Google search shows that many consumers are dissatisfied with the TrueCar experience. Others do not trust its business model and don’t feel it really works to get consumers the best deal or the true car price. Some journalists and researchers have pointed out that the savings included in the TrueCar report often includes rebates and other discounts available to every buyer of the car, regardless of whether or not you buy a car through TrueCar.

Is TrueCar good?

We can’t fully recommend TrueCar because their savings method can be deceptive. There are TrueCar alternatives if you want to buy a car and avoid haggling. However, some consumers are satisfied with their pricing through TrueCar.  If you feel the price offered by TrueCar is worth it, and you don’t want to haggle, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

TrueCar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

This is my second time using the True Car website through my Progressive policy. I have found the site to be extremely useful in finding a car make, model, year, and price that I was looking for. The first time I used this site I went to Fairway Auto in Phoenix and that was an absolute no haggle process. I was out of there in less than 30 minutes with my car. Unfortunately, I only had that car for a few days and it was in another accident. Back to True Car to find another car. Fairway did not have the cars that I was looking for. Received prices from True Car from Chapman Auto in Tempe (Curtis was very helpful) and Vans Chevrolet in Scottsdale (neutral) and ultimately found my car at Auto Nation. Auto Nation was great to deal with with no hidden fees. Very pleased with the website and ultimately the dealership.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I recently purchased a QX60 from Nalley Infiniti of Atlanta. I was able to use the TrueCar app in conjunction with my Sam's membership and essentially obtain a no-haggle price match. Great App, easy to use. It was very detailed and I like all the additional benefits that Sam's is providing with the car above what the dealership provided. My car was priced $13,000 below other comparable cars, not bad for a fully loaded QX60 with only 24k miles on it, one previous owner. I negotiated under 30k for the vehicle.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

TrueCar is amazing. I ended up getting an amazing deal on the 2017 Lincoln MKC that I bought thanks to True Car. I would definitely recommend using TrueCar and I personally will use them again for the next vehicle I purchase. When you click on the check availability button you immediately receive an email with the TrueCar price. Sometimes the price is what is quoted on the site and sometimes like in my case the price is a little cheaper. The site gave me a complete break down of what fees I would be expected to pay at the dealership. You are contacted almost immediately with an email and/or a phone call. The dealership I went to honored everything on my TrueCar certificate and I appreciated that even more. There are several car buying sites to look at but I recommend checking out TrueCar first.

Original review: July 11, 2020

This was my first online purchase of a new vehicle and it was by far the best experience I’ve ever had in purchasing a new vehicle. I received quotes from numerous Toyota dealerships in my state and I could pick which one I preferred to deal with and got the price that I was happy with.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have found the Auto Dealers are not paying too much attention to these recommended prices as suggested by the car buying sites. Not sure these sites have the relevance they once had. A couple of years back, however, I thought they provided a worthwhile service. It was comforting to walk into the dealership with hard number in mind and begin negotiations around that number.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Looks like they're going to give you a good deal on some used cars that look really nice, if it looks that good it’s a gimmick, I seen the same user vehicle cheap on the same site, but had found out just before I closed it was sold, or wasn’t really even available, instantly trying to get me into something else, the deposit goes up, they start telling you your credit is bad, they don’t honor the online buying policy, sanitized vehicles I highly doubt, all they care about is selling a car, if it works it works. Remember the used car salesmen are dirty rotten liars and TrueCar just advertises them in one spot, true car had tried to put Policy into place but it’s not maintained, I would love to fish out the scammers for you. True Car put me on your payroll to ensure people are selling what they advertise.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I was about to buy a car on TrueCar from Toyota of Surprise. They never did give me the actual cost for me to get the car, every time I texted or spoke to them they would just add another fee. I gave up once the price (as I calculated it) was close to $2,000 more than the "True" price. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Very helpful to negotiate price. I’ll use True Car again in my future car buying. Dealership met expectations. Discounts from True Car after you purchase the vehicle is a good deal. Their way of reimbursing your insurance deductible and the up to $500 repair assistance is one reason I have used True Car.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I was baited by the TrueCar price into visiting the dealer by phone call claiming I would get that price. I was then told the TrueCar price was only hypothetical and convinced to pay a slightly price to fatten dealer profit. I forwarded this info to TrueCar and got no support.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Looking online for a new car for my wife, I stumbled upon this website, obtained comparative info on new SUVs, asked for local dealers to respond with quotes, took the truly EXCELLENT TrueCar quote to the dealer, who honored it with no hassle. What more can I say? She's happy, and the process was a dream.

TrueCar Company Information