2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

TrueCar is dedicating to make buying a car “simple, fair and fun.” TrueCar’s claim to fame is offering consumers data on the “fair price” of a vehicle. The pricing data can be printed off in the form of a certificate and presented to participating dealerships in order to lock in a price on a vehicle. TrueCar only works with certified dealers to offer verified pricing. The TrueCar price does not include sales tax, state tax or federal tax.

BOTTOM LINE

TrueCar partners with dealerships to offer specialized price report certificates. The prices are not always the cheapest, but some consumers report enjoying the no-haggle experience.

PROS

• No haggling
  • Free
  • Straightforward pricing
  • TrueCar app available

CONS

• Deals only available from partnered dealerships
  • Some deals are just average

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

What is TrueCar?

TrueCar is an online car buying site for new and used cars. TrueCar partners with dealerships across the country to offer consumers a pre-determined price that is meant to be lower than what you would traditionally find at a physical car dealership.

How does TrueCar work?

TrueCar works by offering customers the “true” value of a vehicle — in other words, the TrueCar pricing breakdown includes the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price), savings offered by the dealer, and additional fees for accessories and dealer documents. The TrueCar price is what other consumers were offered, not necessarily what other consumers paid for the same vehicle.

TrueCar charges dealerships when a customer buys a vehicle through their website, so there is no fee for customers to use their service. The process is nearly identical to buying a car in traditional circumstances, even down to the fact TrueCar also leases vehicles.  Truecar used cars are available in addition to new cars.

Does True Car really work?

Yes and no. To receive a price certificate, you have to submit specific information to the TrueCar website. The price certificate you receive will lock in a fixed cost at participating TrueCar-certified dealerships. However, you should be aware that price isn’t necessarily a good deal — it’s usually just the MSRP with additional rebates included that apply to any buyer off the street. And remember: You might receive more emails and phone calls than you want as a result. If you feel the price presented to you by TrueCar is fair, then there’s no real risk involved, and it does take haggling out of the car buying process.

Truecar complaints

TrueCar has faced its fair share of controversy over the years. A quick Google search shows that many consumers are dissatisfied with the TrueCar experience. Others do not trust its business model and don’t feel it really works to get consumers the best deal or the true car price. Some journalists and researchers have pointed out that the savings included in the TrueCar report often includes rebates and other discounts available to every buyer of the car, regardless of whether or not you buy a car through TrueCar.

Is TrueCar good?

We can’t fully recommend TrueCar because their savings method can be deceptive. There are TrueCar alternatives if you want to buy a car and avoid haggling. However, some consumers are satisfied with their pricing through TrueCar.  If you feel the price offered by TrueCar is worth it, and you don’t want to haggle, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

TrueCar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?

Original review: July 8, 2020

I login into this site to compare auto prices with other dealer that were in my family ZIP code who works in the dealership. Did not make inquiry and dealership was charged a 299 fee in which should not be charged since I was getting family discount. I believe Truecar app should disclose this information to the consumer.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have used the site two times when purchasing a new car with great success. I have recommend to family and friends and they too found the site very helpful. It may take a little time to work through the site but once you do and it fairly easy after that.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have found the Auto Dealers are not paying too much attention to these recommended prices as suggested by the car buying sites. Not sure these sites have the relevance they once had. A couple of years back, however, I thought they provided a worthwhile service. It was comforting to walk into the dealership with hard number in mind and begin negotiations around that number.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I used this service to buy my last two cars, one used the other brand new. Last time I used the side was 2 years ago. The experience before was great, the dealers respected the deal. No funny charges after sending the deal through TrueCar. This year I started to look for a used CAR, the experience now is really not good. Truecar sent you the deal and when you start the deal with the dealers start the back and forth. They want to add numerous charges to the price that TRUECAR provided to you. For example the last one wants to add 998 US for paint insurance, 1000 for registration and plates and so on. ADVISE. Open your eyes and review everything they send. TRUECAR YOU NEED TO STEP UP AND PROTECT YOUR CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

You will receive spam phone call and text message once you register to TrueCar. Three call from dealer, and 3 unknown call. I registered with land phone and use cell phone for verification but they provide my cell phone to 3rd party. Also TrueCar price is joke. I got better deal with person in different dealership, the dealer contacted via through TrueCar gave me $2000 higher.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Stay away from Truecar unless you want… Stay away from Truecar unless you want your information disseminated to every single dealership and all over the internet!!! I was trying to help someone look at the invoice pricing of a specific new vehicle which Truecar used to show 6-7 years ago... Well, they DON'T show anything now but collect your information and make money with it! I called to confront them and the agent OPENLY ADMITTED that their website is designed to do that - to collect information! Now I got multiple calls every single day from sales people, managers, GMs... It is absolutely ridiculous! TAKE MY ADVICE AND STAY AWAY!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Truecar claims to have No haggling; Free and Straightforward pricing. Nothing could be further from the truth. It even says that on the Consumeraffairs site. For example Hyundai of New Port Richey advertised a Ford F-150 on truecar for $24,000.00. Truecar says that is a good deal well below the fair market price. But when you go to HoNPR that is not the price. They start adding fee to that price. Fees like the old "Dealers Fee". This is an old trick that just adds more money in the dealer's pocket. It is definitely not no haggle, free and straightforward. Remember Truecar and the dealers are working together as a team. They are not working for you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I was just curious about the service after seeing many commercials. You will be flooded with interested salespeople contacting you. I did not do extensive research, but after comparing the True Car price and the advertised dealer price on about 10 trucks, the price was practically the same. Sometimes the price was up to 200.00 lower and sometimes it was 200.00 or more higher. Either way, on a $40,000 truck the whole thing seemed POINTLESS to me. I was actually interested in the consumer paid price distributions that they alluded to in the commercials. I didn't find any in the app or website. I found some mean consumer price (skeptical about this calculation) and then the True Car price which of course was always below the mean. Just a gimmick for salespeople to contact you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I got 3 prices via email and a lot of calls. I called Route 46 Nissan Totowa NJ dealer to make sure that they will honor the quote. After their assurance, I made the appointment. The salesman started going over the pricing details back and forth with his manager. Then he drove me to another lot to show me the quoted car. Again he tried to convince me that the price I received was for financing and not for a cash deal. Eventually I had to leave after wasting 4 hours. I do not recommend this website. It was not a true car pricing for me. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

Dealer went online and canceled the TrueCar listing while I was on the way from 150 miles away to get the car I spoke to them about repeatedly over the phone. I lodged a formal complaint about the Dealership with TrueCar. A week later no one from TrueCar has contacted me. So much for a "TRUE" experience. Don't waste you time with TrueCar. Not able to use my $500 certificate # ** because it expired even though I tried to use it at that Dealership (Napleton's Jeep Dodge in Kissimmee, FL.)

TrueCar Company Information