2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.55/5

TrueCar is dedicating to make buying a car “simple, fair and fun.” TrueCar’s claim to fame is offering consumers data on the “fair price” of a vehicle. The pricing data can be printed off in the form of a certificate and presented to participating dealerships in order to lock in a price on a vehicle. TrueCar only works with certified dealers to offer verified pricing. The TrueCar price does not include sales tax, state tax or federal tax.

BOTTOM LINE

TrueCar partners with dealerships to offer specialized price report certificates. The prices are not always the cheapest, but some consumers report enjoying the no-haggle experience.

PROS

• No haggling
  • Free
  • Straightforward pricing
  • TrueCar app available

CONS

• Deals only available from partnered dealerships
  • Some deals are just average
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

What is TrueCar?

TrueCar is an online car buying site for new and used cars. TrueCar partners with dealerships across the country to offer consumers a pre-determined price that is meant to be lower than what you would traditionally find at a physical car dealership.

How does TrueCar work?

TrueCar works by offering customers the “true” value of a vehicle — in other words, the TrueCar pricing breakdown includes the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price), savings offered by the dealer, and additional fees for accessories and dealer documents. The TrueCar price is what other consumers were offered, not necessarily what other consumers paid for the same vehicle.

TrueCar charges dealerships when a customer buys a vehicle through their website, so there is no fee for customers to use their service. The process is nearly identical to buying a car in traditional circumstances, even down to the fact TrueCar also leases vehicles.  Truecar used cars are available in addition to new cars.

Does True Car really work?

Yes and no. To receive a price certificate, you have to submit specific information to the TrueCar website. The price certificate you receive will lock in a fixed cost at participating TrueCar-certified dealerships. However, you should be aware that price isn’t necessarily a good deal — it’s usually just the MSRP with additional rebates included that apply to any buyer off the street. And remember: You might receive more emails and phone calls than you want as a result. If you feel the price presented to you by TrueCar is fair, then there’s no real risk involved, and it does take haggling out of the car buying process.

Truecar complaints

TrueCar has faced its fair share of controversy over the years. A quick Google search shows that many consumers are dissatisfied with the TrueCar experience. Others do not trust its business model and don’t feel it really works to get consumers the best deal or the true car price. Some journalists and researchers have pointed out that the savings included in the TrueCar report often includes rebates and other discounts available to every buyer of the car, regardless of whether or not you buy a car through TrueCar.

Is TrueCar good?

We can’t fully recommend TrueCar because their savings method can be deceptive. There are TrueCar alternatives if you want to buy a car and avoid haggling. However, some consumers are satisfied with their pricing through TrueCar.  If you feel the price offered by TrueCar is worth it, and you don’t want to haggle, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

TrueCar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrueCar?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I'm the average person doing research on purchasing a used vehicle under a certain dollar amount and used several online searches. Found TrueCar to be the most helpful. After checking availabilities on cars, dealers emailed with a quick response and some followed up with a phone call. This was great for my time management.

Drivertopia was the dealership my 2007 Mini Cooper was purchased. The sales person Stephen **, took the time (very patient) to answer or find the answer to all my questions. He sent close up photos and videos of everything I want to see on the car. I believe in full transparency and this dealership provided a history report that I could do my own research on any inconsistencies. This was my first online and purchase not in my own city. Mr. **, was able to get my paperwork sent overnight and auto transport ready to delivery my vehicle. I'm so grateful for this experience. It gave me confidence to purchase another vehicle using TrueCar and searching again using TrueCar. Great experience!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I hate car shopping, particularly dealing with sales talks. TrueCar allowed me to compare several models, select the ones I wanted to explore, and get offers from the dealers without really wasting a lot of time being talked up and assessed by sales people. I got three fairly similar offers, choose the one that looked best and drove it home. I would like to add that I also used Edmund's and the offers through their website were not as good, the dealers seemed to expect to ask a higher price and haggle.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

There have been a lot of complaints about TrueCar that are quite frankly, unfair. I have used this service twice for purchasing new vehicles. Yes, I received many emails and phone calls, and yes, I had to go to the lot and the price I paid was more than I expected to. But the bottom line price in both cases was very accurate and consistent with Kelly Blue Book and other sites. TrueCar provides helpful bottomline information so you can comparison shop for the best price on a vehicle you are looking for. It is not a buying service. Those services are expensive.

Car dealers want to call you to make a sale and negotiate a price that is lower than other dealers. They will also want to make money and will always try to add to their profit on your vehicle. It is surprising how many people are shocked by this. What TrueCar gives you is the bottom line sale price for negotiating. That is just the starting place and is helpful for finding a dealer and salesperson that is straightforward and honest in making the sale. If the salesperson is unwilling to give you the vin number, sticker, bottom line price and financing information before you go to the lot, then don't deal with them or direct your call to the Internet sales manager or General Manager. There are plenty of Dealerships and internet salespeople that want to make a fair sale for the vehicle you want. TrueCar helps you to find them.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

This is my second time using the True Car website through my Progressive policy. I have found the site to be extremely useful in finding a car make, model, year, and price that I was looking for. The first time I used this site I went to Fairway Auto in Phoenix and that was an absolute no haggle process. I was out of there in less than 30 minutes with my car. Unfortunately, I only had that car for a few days and it was in another accident. Back to True Car to find another car. Fairway did not have the cars that I was looking for. Received prices from True Car from Chapman Auto in Tempe (Curtis was very helpful) and Vans Chevrolet in Scottsdale (neutral) and ultimately found my car at Auto Nation. Auto Nation was great to deal with with no hidden fees. Very pleased with the website and ultimately the dealership.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

TrueCar is amazing. I ended up getting an amazing deal on the 2017 Lincoln MKC that I bought thanks to True Car. I would definitely recommend using TrueCar and I personally will use them again for the next vehicle I purchase. When you click on the check availability button you immediately receive an email with the TrueCar price. Sometimes the price is what is quoted on the site and sometimes like in my case the price is a little cheaper. The site gave me a complete break down of what fees I would be expected to pay at the dealership. You are contacted almost immediately with an email and/or a phone call. The dealership I went to honored everything on my TrueCar certificate and I appreciated that even more. There are several car buying sites to look at but I recommend checking out TrueCar first.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

True experience was truly terrible! They made an evaluation and offered me a price on line. Then they just sent me to used car salesman. I had to drive 40 miles to get there. The used car salesman (true to his reputation) priced the car at 78% of the value offered to me without any hesitation. I would not recommend anyone to use True & specifically this dealer in Oakland. Happy to reveal more specifics.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

We went to TrueCar looking to purchase a car. When we telephoned the dealership, located through TrueCar, the price was $20,000 more than listed on the TrueCar Site. SCAM! A total waste of time. They should be shut down for false advertising!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Very simple to use site and pricing are great. Met my expectations. Also the car dealers respond back in a timely manner. I would definitely would visit again when car buying. Thank you TrueCar! Happy customer!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I used several search engines to find a car, but TrueCar was by far the best. It has great sort features and the best prices. I was able to find the exact vehicle at a below market value that was certified by Honda. Win Win!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I recently did a nationwide search for used vehicle. What I liked best about TrueCar's website was I was able to refine the filters to pinpoint exact features of the SUV I wanted. I also liked the info providing the purchase rating of the vehicle. I knew if the seller's price was fair, excellent, too high etc. Very easy to shop and compare the cars across the board on a 1 single page online. Yes - I did purchase a car out of state and happy with my ride!

TrueCar Company Information