Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.89/5

Toyota Tacoma

The Toyota Tacoma is mid-size pickup truck. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

431 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 14, 2019

I purchased a brand new Toyota Tacoma in 2016. The brakes didn’t feel right. We just bought a new house so it took me a little bit to bring it in, but I did, and told them about the brakes and faulty radio. The lady at the service department told me the brakes were not covered - even though they were like that off the lot! She told me that pressing the brakes hard one time could cause them to be faulty. I said, “So you’re telling me Toyota makes a product where one brake press can ruin the brakes?” She said yes, I also told them about the radio, she said she updated it and that it’s fine now. It is nowhere near fine! So now I have faulty brakes still, and a bad radio, Toyota told me I can pay $60 to have the brakes tested. Some warranty! I was trying to work my way up to a Tundra but now no way! I’ve never had such horrible service with a new car!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I own a 2006 Tacoma and live in the Northeast. In March of 2016 I brought my truck in for a frame recall inspection. At this time they replaced leaf springs but maintained frame was fine. I have driven the truck 12,000 miles since then in over 3 years. I have never has front wheels off until I put brakes on it last month. What I found were perforations and holes all under wheel wells as well as driver side rail. This truck is meticulously maintained and garage kept. It sickens me that these were likely apparent back then but were written off by dealer.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I owned Toyota cars all my life. The first one was a Toyota Celica, which I owned for 25 years, without any problems. The last car I owned, a Toyota Previa 1994, excellent car, which I still have. The fist thing I noticed when I bought the car was that the light beams, at night, did not point in the same direction. I took the car back to the dealer. They told me nothing is wrong. 25 years later I can see the light beams do not point in the same direction and the dealer lied to me.

The first time in my life to own a truck, a Toyota Tacoma 2018. While on neutral, listening to the engine noise, I have realized the engine does not work properly, and I have noticed the idle (RPM) goes up and down. When on drive, while my foot on the break pedal, the car tends to accelerate. While on reverse the car also tends to accelerate. I have no doubt something is wrong and the dealer will not accept what I believe. I have made an appointment for next week to have the car checked. I will post again.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I bought my Toyota Tacoma Brand new (2017) from Toyota dealership in (Dallas TX). From last 2 weeks I notice water on my back seat from rear windows when there is rain or if I go to car wash, I have checked my rear window I was closed properly. I have extended warranty (platinum) for 100,000. I called to Toyota dealership in Grave vine, they refused to entertain. I called Toyota Customer service refused to help, no Manufacturing warranty only 36500 miles. Toyota (Tacoma) quality is not as used to be. I will never buy & recommend, very bad experience.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Hi folks, I’m a recent new member of the Toyota family and so far I only have one gripe about the vehicle! I own a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport double cab (3rd gen.) with a lot of options that I love except for the JBL Premium sound system!!! Now for the 700.00+ option I don’t think it’s worth the extra expense. Let me explain, if you’re just an average Joe and music isn’t a high priority this may be enough sound for yourself? However if you’re an Audiophile like myself, this system ISN’T FOR YOU!!! Now I’m stuck with it so I’ve been researching ways to upgrade (spending more $$$). So with the JBL system you need either a line-out converter, digital interface, digital sound processor etc. in order to add aftermarket amp, speakers and subwoofer to get the sound desired!!!

Fortunately I have the ability to do this myself as many people can’t and would have to pay someone on top of everything else!!! The other downside is space to add these components!! If I was purchasing new equipment I could buy options that fit but I’m going to reuse my old equipment so I’m limited!! Let me be clear, I’m not replacing the factory head unit because I do like most features it provides, plus I’d have to buy a new one and really trying to watch my budget too!! The bottom line is if I had to do it over, I wouldn’t get the Premium sound!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Tacoma?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was so excited buying a 2018 Tacoma Off Road with all fixtures added and one of them was the added Pandora App which I use a lot when driving. A few months after an update was recommended and they removed Pandora App, I called Corporate office and they just say they were not bringing it back and that is what it is, I asked if there is a way because I really liked it, she replied again being very rude there is nothing can be done and is what it is and if I needed anything else. Aggghhh that response was the least I was expecting. I thought Toyota had good customer service. I do not think I'll ever come back again to them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was sold a brand new Tacoma with a bad transmission, and it has been an utter nightmare ever since. If even one person can learn from my mistakes, then taking the time to write this is worth it. Key Lessons Learned: 1. Serious issues, contact a lawyer immediately. Lemon Law covers your legal fees. 2. All new vehicles are not created equal. Once you decide on a specific vehicle, test drive 3-4 of the same model to avoid a lemon. 3. Toyota quality is not what it used to be. Best to expand your net when shopping for a new car, no need to pay a premium for “quality” you are not receiving. 4. Toyota “Customer Care” can not only be shockingly unhelpful, but very rude. 5. Toyota is now a global enterprise, no longer bound by Japanese cultural values and dedication to excellence. Profits are all that matter now.

My story: I have been a loyal Toyota owner for the last 20 years, I have only owned Toyotas for the last 20 years. My previous vehicle was a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Off Road 4x2. I owned it for 8 years. The only thing that ever broke was the air conditioning unit – not a big deal. After loving every Toyota I have ever owned, there was only one option for me when I decided to buy a new one: the new Tacoma. I spent two months researching the different features, options, prices, etc. When I went to buy, I knew exactly what I wanted. I did a fairly extensive road test of one Tacoma, but ended up buying a different one (although it was exactly the same thing).

The one I ended up buying, I pretty much just drove around the block. It was exactly the same truck, and brand new, it never crossed my mind that Toyota would sell a lemon off the lot. The whole reason I have been loyal to the brand and happy to pay a premium, is for the quality. So as to avoid issues. To have a reliable product. To love my truck and be excited about it. My blind loyalty has caused me a lot of heartache. Now I know. Obviously I wish had never purchased my particular truck. I wish I had bought the one of the other ones I had driven, or not bought one at all.

I have owned the truck for about two months. I have had the truck serviced 5 times. The issues I have experienced are as follows: transmission (more below), CV joint, dash vibration, USB port, cabin light. More problems in two months than I had in 8 years with my previous truck… mind blowing, irritating, and incredibly disappointing – this was my dream truck. This was supposed to be a reward for years of hard work.

The most serious problem is the transmission. Beyond rough gear changes, slipping, “clunking”, and just an extremely unenjoyable ride, I have narrowly escaped two accidents when the transmission failed to engage. The first time was when I was turning left in front of oncoming traffic. Instead of accelerating through the turn, I pressed on the gas but the truck did not accelerate. I was just a sitting duck. Luckily the transmission engaged just in time and I got through the intersection unscathed. The second time was when I was on the freeway and wanted to accelerate and move into a faster lane.

Same as before, I pressed on the gas pedal but the truck did not accelerate. I was almost hit from behind, and when the transmission did finally engage the truck jumped forward and I almost hit the car in front of me. Both cases were unsettling to say the least. The truck is not safe, and I do not allow my family in it. Think about that. I cannot take my family in my brand new truck because it is unsafe. I would not drive it at all, but do not have an alternate vehicle, and I thought Toyota would have resolved this dangerous situation a long time ago.

In summary, I cannot possibly communicate how frustrated I am with the truck. Treating myself to the truck was supposed to bring me a lot of happiness, unfortunately it has been nothing but pure irritation, from driving it, to the constant trips to the dealership, to the rude customer service. Thank goodness there is the Lemon Law to protect consumers!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Toyota trucks have been having frame rust corrosion for well over a decade. It is an issue they are well aware of. Toyota set up a customer support program to specifically for this. The warranty coverage for frame rust corrosion perforation is nothing but an attempt to cover up an inferior product. My truck still looks brand new but has been declared unsafe to drive due a frame that has rusted out. This is after I was contacted by Toyota about the issue. Toyota said the frame was good and put a “protective “ coating on it. 5 years later it’s junk. Toyota was very polite in telling me it’s my problem. I won’t be buying Toyota products anymore. You can verify my same issue by looking up ‘Toyota truck frame rust’. Toyota may have fixed the issue by now but I’m sure something else will pop up that they will just put a band-aid on and leave you with junk.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I purchased a new 2018 Tacoma and soon it developed a severe door wind noise at ear level. 3 returns under warranty and failure by Toyota to solve resulted in my trading the vehicle off with 7,700 miles.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My Toyota Tacoma pickup has provided me with everything I want from a truck. It has the capacity to haul what I want for my garden, lets me get wood for my hobby and by being a four door enough space to take others with me. The interior is comfortable with enough room for four adults to sit comfortable for a long period of time. I wish that my truck had running boards making it easier to get in and out of as I get older. Also the paint on this truck will need to be redone because it is starting to chip and fall off making it rust because of the lack of protection.

Toyota Tacoma Company Information