2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.11/5

The Toyota Tacoma is mid-size pickup truck. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Toyota Tacoma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Tacoma?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Tacoma?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I like the truck but the cab is small, There is almost no room in the back seat behind the driver in my double cab. I not a tall man by any standard. Good thing I am driving alone most of the time. In the 3 years that I have owned it not a thing has gone wrong with the truck. I would buy another, hopefully the next generation will have more passenger room.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I love my Toyota Tacoma. It is a well built vehicle that gives me no trouble at all. I especially like all the tech features available, rear backup camera, gps navigation, iPhone integration, etc... The overall quality of the truck is outstanding. It’s also very fun to drive.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

My truck has a 4 cylinder engine. The reason I purchased this model was for the gas mileage which is not as good as I had expected, it gets 24.5 mpg in town driving. I was hoping for better mileage but it is better than my Nissan Frontier. It got 19 mpg. Otherwise it is a good truck.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I really like the crew cab Toyota Tacoma 2014 because it's like having a sedan and truck all in one. The sound system is great. It keeps its value, it's fun to drive and we've haven't had any major repairs. We just maintain it. It still looks new. It's great having a truck bed because we use it a lot. It's not bad on gas. We love taking road trips in it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Purchased 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD brand new in 2015. We serviced regularly as required. The truck had 76800 miles on it. While driving on the road the fuel pump went out, fuel pump was $1533. To replace and tow was $318. 1963 miles later the Air conditioning clutch flew apart and took out drive belt and sensing units. Needless to say withouT the sensors we were not able to acknowledge that the Engine was overheating [driving at night). The engine blew, cost to repair $8700.00 plus 1200. In tow bills. After many conversations with top mechanics, they confirmed that they have NEVER seen this happen before. I contacted Toyota hoping they would help us in some way, but they refused. I have been a loyal Toyota customer (3rd Toyota). I will never purchase another Toyota again!

Original review: July 28, 2020

In May of 2018 I purchased a certified used 2017 Toyota Tacoma SR 4x4 with 22,000 miles, from Grand Blanc Motorcars in Michigan. I received a letter from Toyota Headquarters in Plano, TX that there were reported cases of frame corrosion and/or perforation for the years 2011 - 2017 Tacoma's that were located in cold weather states. The letter also included my Tacoma's VIN number. The letter also stated that owner's within the year window would have to bring their Tacoma into a dealer for frame inspection. If the owner did this Toyota would either repair the frame using a rust prevention coating and/or plugs or replace the frame. If the owner did this they would provide an extended warranty on the frame for 12 years from the Tacoma's day of first use.

I brought my truck in for inspection at my dealer of purchase Grand Blanc Motorcars in Grand Blanc Michigan. They installed plugs in the frame; however, there is heavy scaling in areas of the frame. There is heavy rust on every weld from the cab going forward. There is also rust on the lower control arms and various other parts. Grand Blanc Toyota said they would NOT clean and apply rust inhibitor to my frame because it was treated at the factory. The frame looks like a frame off a vehicle from the late 90's - it is 3 years old.

When I went to pick up my Tacoma after the inspection and installation of the frame plugs, I voiced my concern of Grand Blanc MotorCars's decision not to repair my frame. Brent the director of the service department came out to the parking lot to view my frame. While we were both looking up under my truck; using my fingernail, I chipped a chunk of rust scale off the frame. At this point I was furious. Brent assured my that he was an advocate for customers and would assist me any way he could. When I returned home Toyota Corp called me and they were pleasant. The representative elevated my case to a manager.

When I spoke with the manager he sounded rather indifferent to my problem. I told him the reason why I bought the Tacoma is because the high resale value and the reliability and that even with the warranty of 12 years from first use, which is 2028, this truck would have a lot of useful life remaining if it were not for the issue with the rusted frame. Further, that after the 12 year period is up, the resale value of this truck would be hurt very hard by the rusty frame. If you saw what it looked like after 3 years, you would understand. He seemed very indifferent to my issue. The manager then put me on hold and called Brent the service center director from Grand Blanc Motorcars in Michigan. I waited for about 15 minutes while they spoke.

When the manager from Toyota Corp returned on the line, he said Brent stated to him that my Tacoma did not meet the guidelines for repair. That is all he would say, no explanation as to why the determination. At this point I lost it with him and his indifference to Toyota selling me a defective frame. The frame has heavy RUST on every weld from the rear of the cab forward, some areas next to welds have bubbling frame paint and heavy scale, the crossmember is severely rusted. There are also numerous other spots on the frame and frame components that are also rusted.

I never wanted the frame replaced; I only wanted it repaired. After losing my temper with this manager, I stated that I would have to have the frame repaired myself; after further consideration I will not, because I fear Toyota will say that because I had my frame repaired, the 12 year frame warranty would be VOID. I mean at this point why should I trust Grand Blanc Motorcars or Toyota? I uploaded a few photos under Grand Blanc Motorcars G review in case there is any question to the validity of my review.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Quality is not what it used to be - like many corporations they are selling out to China CCP slave labor bad quality parts. 2019 Tacoma riddled with driveline problems. Over 8 visits and still issues including 4 attempts and failed NCDS claim to get them to admit differential was bad and replace, with resulting other issues on replacement with transfer case rear output and recurring leaks still not fixed after 3 attempts (sitting in shop with no parts). Customer care is worthless - smoke in mirrors stall tactics to make sure you are outside lemon law and never really accomplish any resolutions.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I purchased a 2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 in Nov. 2019. Upon a mechanic checking it out I was told the frame has rusted out at the cab and bed mounts. I was told it would eventually come apart on me. I then took it to a Toyota dealership and they indeed said something needed to be done to it but they can’t. They used the vin # to research it and I was told the 1st owner never did bring it in for an offer that Toyota had out to fix this issue and it was too late for me the second owner because said offer had expired. The service person at this dealership then gave me Toyota Motor Corporation number and said for me to call them. They may be able to do something for me.

This was a total waste of time! Even after I told them this truck would be dangerous and that I ride my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter and 17 month old grand son in this truck they still insisted they couldn’t do anything to help me. I the second owner shouldn’t be punished for their faulty frames that I knew nothing about. They didn’t care that I had small babies riding in this vehicle and basically said they couldn’t do anything to help me. I have owned Toyota cars over the years and believe in Toyota products. Since Toyota seems to care more about lining their pockets and keeping all their profits and not care about the safety of my grand babies I will never buy another Toyota product as long as I live.

In my opinion they make the sale and then to hell with the customer. Even though this is a used truck by me being the second owner they should have been able to do something for me. I googled and read up on this bad frame issue Toyota had and it was bad and it shouldn’t matter if I was a second buyer. There should still been help available to me since the frame as been deemed dangerous with rust. After all, they do know why this frame issue happened in the first place. If a big corporation can’t help a second owner out of this mess clearly they don’t deserve to be in business. Just think how this will affect you as a Toyota Tacoma owner wanting to sell or trade your truck later.

If you don’t want to be stuck with a rusted out frame and no help from Toyota because you’re the second owner and the first owner missed the recall to get this taken care of you should stay away from the used Tacoma that’s on any lot! Stuck in Va! I do plan to go to my News Media 12 on your side about this dealer that assured me the truck was a winner, no issues. Toyota Motor Corporations you suck!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I love this truck, It is a truck, Feels like a high car, Very Stable, And as fast as you seriously need to be going. It will definitely get out of its own way and even though it's bad capacity isn't huge it still has a great towing capability and is very stable with a 20 foot boat on a trailer on the hwy and at the boat ramp. Plenty of room in the back seat fits four people nicely. Gas mileage is good if you stay out of the paddle. I get 22.2 miles to the gallon in the city. It looks great and has a ton of easy upgrades to make it look bad **. I would not buy anything else and I have owned one of each already. My resale value will be the best in this truck.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I ordered my Toyota Tacoma with what I wanted on it. It has been a great vehicle. No service issues at all. It handles excellent and is pretty economical on gas. It has quite a bit of hidden storage areas. Several of which can be secured. The overall appearance is quite impressive and I have received a lot of compliments on it.

Toyota Tacoma Company Information