4.0/5 (122 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Toyota Tacoma

The Toyota Tacoma is mid-size pickup truck. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Toyota Tacoma Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Tacoma?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Tacoma?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I really like the crew cab Toyota Tacoma 2014 because it's like having a sedan and truck all in one. The sound system is great. It keeps its value, it's fun to drive and we've haven't had any major repairs. We just maintain it. It still looks new. It's great having a truck bed because we use it a lot. It's not bad on gas. We love taking road trips in it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I love this truck, It is a truck, Feels like a high car, Very Stable, And as fast as you seriously need to be going. It will definitely get out of its own way and even though it's bad capacity isn't huge it still has a great towing capability and is very stable with a 20 foot boat on a trailer on the hwy and at the boat ramp. Plenty of room in the back seat fits four people nicely. Gas mileage is good if you stay out of the paddle. I get 22.2 miles to the gallon in the city. It looks great and has a ton of easy upgrades to make it look bad **. I would not buy anything else and I have owned one of each already. My resale value will be the best in this truck.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I ordered my Toyota Tacoma with what I wanted on it. It has been a great vehicle. No service issues at all. It handles excellent and is pretty economical on gas. It has quite a bit of hidden storage areas. Several of which can be secured. The overall appearance is quite impressive and I have received a lot of compliments on it.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl. four door cab. I have been to the dealer from where had purchased it 3 times for the same problem, Which when I am in a stopped position in drive gear and foot on the brake the engine sends a shaking to the food brake and steering wheel and now can feel in the driver seat. I have only 7, 000 miles. I was told that they cannot find the problem. I don't have any problem with my 2017 toyota rav same motor 4 cyl. And I had traded in on this truck a 2013 Tacoma 4 cyl. and did not experience any of this problem with the idle.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

My dad bought a 2016 Tacoma. Service records show about a dozen times, his truck was brought in for 1 problem after another. Even though this problem was initially brought in under warranty is still having the same issues now that it's out of warranty and I'm supposed to come out of my pocket now??? Terrible experience.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

The Toyota customer service branch for recalls was extremely rude and unhelpful. My husband and I own a 2005 Toyota Tacoma and there was a recall about the frame rusting. They told us we were outside of the recall time frame, even though when we called they did not have my husband as the registered owner. They admittedly did not send the recall to us, but would not extend or do anything about it. The last person I talked to was extremely rude and snide. We have three children that at any time could be in and out of this vehicle, but Toyota sure didn’t care. Just wanted to tell us the recall had expired. For what is supposed to be a consumer based corporation my experience was very unsatisfactory. We were given the runaround. Called more than five times, put on hold for over 30 min at a time. We were going even told at one point we could only talk to the one supervisor that had been assigned our case and of course she wasn’t there.

Original review: July 14, 2019

I purchased a brand new Toyota Tacoma in 2016. The brakes didn’t feel right. We just bought a new house so it took me a little bit to bring it in, but I did, and told them about the brakes and faulty radio. The lady at the service department told me the brakes were not covered - even though they were like that off the lot! She told me that pressing the brakes hard one time could cause them to be faulty. I said, “So you’re telling me Toyota makes a product where one brake press can ruin the brakes?” She said yes, I also told them about the radio, she said she updated it and that it’s fine now. It is nowhere near fine! So now I have faulty brakes still, and a bad radio, Toyota told me I can pay $60 to have the brakes tested. Some warranty! I was trying to work my way up to a Tundra but now no way! I’ve never had such horrible service with a new car!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I own a 2006 Tacoma and live in the Northeast. In March of 2016 I brought my truck in for a frame recall inspection. At this time they replaced leaf springs but maintained frame was fine. I have driven the truck 12,000 miles since then in over 3 years. I have never has front wheels off until I put brakes on it last month. What I found were perforations and holes all under wheel wells as well as driver side rail. This truck is meticulously maintained and garage kept. It sickens me that these were likely apparent back then but were written off by dealer.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I owned Toyota cars all my life. The first one was a Toyota Celica, which I owned for 25 years, without any problems. The last car I owned, a Toyota Previa 1994, excellent car, which I still have. The fist thing I noticed when I bought the car was that the light beams, at night, did not point in the same direction. I took the car back to the dealer. They told me nothing is wrong. 25 years later I can see the light beams do not point in the same direction and the dealer lied to me.

The first time in my life to own a truck, a Toyota Tacoma 2018. While on neutral, listening to the engine noise, I have realized the engine does not work properly, and I have noticed the idle (RPM) goes up and down. When on drive, while my foot on the break pedal, the car tends to accelerate. While on reverse the car also tends to accelerate. I have no doubt something is wrong and the dealer will not accept what I believe. I have made an appointment for next week to have the car checked. I will post again.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I bought my Toyota Tacoma Brand new (2017) from Toyota dealership in (Dallas TX). From last 2 weeks I notice water on my back seat from rear windows when there is rain or if I go to car wash, I have checked my rear window I was closed properly. I have extended warranty (platinum) for 100,000. I called to Toyota dealership in Grave vine, they refused to entertain. I called Toyota Customer service refused to help, no Manufacturing warranty only 36500 miles. Toyota (Tacoma) quality is not as used to be. I will never buy & recommend, very bad experience.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Hi folks, I’m a recent new member of the Toyota family and so far I only have one gripe about the vehicle! I own a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport double cab (3rd gen.) with a lot of options that I love except for the JBL Premium sound system!!! Now for the 700.00+ option I don’t think it’s worth the extra expense. Let me explain, if you’re just an average Joe and music isn’t a high priority this may be enough sound for yourself? However if you’re an Audiophile like myself, this system ISN’T FOR YOU!!! Now I’m stuck with it so I’ve been researching ways to upgrade (spending more $$$). So with the JBL system you need either a line-out converter, digital interface, digital sound processor etc. in order to add aftermarket amp, speakers and subwoofer to get the sound desired!!!

Fortunately I have the ability to do this myself as many people can’t and would have to pay someone on top of everything else!!! The other downside is space to add these components!! If I was purchasing new equipment I could buy options that fit but I’m going to reuse my old equipment so I’m limited!! Let me be clear, I’m not replacing the factory head unit because I do like most features it provides, plus I’d have to buy a new one and really trying to watch my budget too!! The bottom line is if I had to do it over, I wouldn’t get the Premium sound!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was so excited buying a 2018 Tacoma Off Road with all fixtures added and one of them was the added Pandora App which I use a lot when driving. A few months after an update was recommended and they removed Pandora App, I called Corporate office and they just say they were not bringing it back and that is what it is, I asked if there is a way because I really liked it, she replied again being very rude there is nothing can be done and is what it is and if I needed anything else. Aggghhh that response was the least I was expecting. I thought Toyota had good customer service. I do not think I'll ever come back again to them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was sold a brand new Tacoma with a bad transmission, and it has been an utter nightmare ever since. If even one person can learn from my mistakes, then taking the time to write this is worth it. Key Lessons Learned: 1. Serious issues, contact a lawyer immediately. Lemon Law covers your legal fees. 2. All new vehicles are not created equal. Once you decide on a specific vehicle, test drive 3-4 of the same model to avoid a lemon. 3. Toyota quality is not what it used to be. Best to expand your net when shopping for a new car, no need to pay a premium for “quality” you are not receiving. 4. Toyota “Customer Care” can not only be shockingly unhelpful, but very rude. 5. Toyota is now a global enterprise, no longer bound by Japanese cultural values and dedication to excellence. Profits are all that matter now.

My story: I have been a loyal Toyota owner for the last 20 years, I have only owned Toyotas for the last 20 years. My previous vehicle was a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Off Road 4x2. I owned it for 8 years. The only thing that ever broke was the air conditioning unit – not a big deal. After loving every Toyota I have ever owned, there was only one option for me when I decided to buy a new one: the new Tacoma. I spent two months researching the different features, options, prices, etc. When I went to buy, I knew exactly what I wanted. I did a fairly extensive road test of one Tacoma, but ended up buying a different one (although it was exactly the same thing).

The one I ended up buying, I pretty much just drove around the block. It was exactly the same truck, and brand new, it never crossed my mind that Toyota would sell a lemon off the lot. The whole reason I have been loyal to the brand and happy to pay a premium, is for the quality. So as to avoid issues. To have a reliable product. To love my truck and be excited about it. My blind loyalty has caused me a lot of heartache. Now I know. Obviously I wish had never purchased my particular truck. I wish I had bought the one of the other ones I had driven, or not bought one at all.

I have owned the truck for about two months. I have had the truck serviced 5 times. The issues I have experienced are as follows: transmission (more below), CV joint, dash vibration, USB port, cabin light. More problems in two months than I had in 8 years with my previous truck… mind blowing, irritating, and incredibly disappointing – this was my dream truck. This was supposed to be a reward for years of hard work.

The most serious problem is the transmission. Beyond rough gear changes, slipping, “clunking”, and just an extremely unenjoyable ride, I have narrowly escaped two accidents when the transmission failed to engage. The first time was when I was turning left in front of oncoming traffic. Instead of accelerating through the turn, I pressed on the gas but the truck did not accelerate. I was just a sitting duck. Luckily the transmission engaged just in time and I got through the intersection unscathed. The second time was when I was on the freeway and wanted to accelerate and move into a faster lane.

Same as before, I pressed on the gas pedal but the truck did not accelerate. I was almost hit from behind, and when the transmission did finally engage the truck jumped forward and I almost hit the car in front of me. Both cases were unsettling to say the least. The truck is not safe, and I do not allow my family in it. Think about that. I cannot take my family in my brand new truck because it is unsafe. I would not drive it at all, but do not have an alternate vehicle, and I thought Toyota would have resolved this dangerous situation a long time ago.

In summary, I cannot possibly communicate how frustrated I am with the truck. Treating myself to the truck was supposed to bring me a lot of happiness, unfortunately it has been nothing but pure irritation, from driving it, to the constant trips to the dealership, to the rude customer service. Thank goodness there is the Lemon Law to protect consumers!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Toyota trucks have been having frame rust corrosion for well over a decade. It is an issue they are well aware of. Toyota set up a customer support program to specifically for this. The warranty coverage for frame rust corrosion perforation is nothing but an attempt to cover up an inferior product. My truck still looks brand new but has been declared unsafe to drive due a frame that has rusted out. This is after I was contacted by Toyota about the issue. Toyota said the frame was good and put a “protective “ coating on it. 5 years later it’s junk. Toyota was very polite in telling me it’s my problem. I won’t be buying Toyota products anymore. You can verify my same issue by looking up ‘Toyota truck frame rust’. Toyota may have fixed the issue by now but I’m sure something else will pop up that they will just put a band-aid on and leave you with junk.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I purchased a new 2018 Tacoma and soon it developed a severe door wind noise at ear level. 3 returns under warranty and failure by Toyota to solve resulted in my trading the vehicle off with 7,700 miles.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My Toyota Tacoma pickup has provided me with everything I want from a truck. It has the capacity to haul what I want for my garden, lets me get wood for my hobby and by being a four door enough space to take others with me. The interior is comfortable with enough room for four adults to sit comfortable for a long period of time. I wish that my truck had running boards making it easier to get in and out of as I get older. Also the paint on this truck will need to be redone because it is starting to chip and fall off making it rust because of the lack of protection.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We owned a 2005 Tacoma SR5 and loved it, after putting 170,000 miles on it we traded it in for a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 4-Door. After owning it for a week I noticed that the engine seemed very underpowered even though it had more horsepower than our old Tacoma and the transmission shifted all over the place. We dealt with that for the first 10,000 miles. I complained about the problem and the dealer told me that's the way it was designed. Again I complained about it after 15,000 miles and they recalibrated the ECM in the transmission. I put another 1,000 miles on the vehicle and the problem never went away, we then got rid of the vehicle by selling it private party. Anyone thinking about buying a new one we would highly recommend you do not.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Own my Toyota Tacoma for 15 years and have about 133000 mile on the odometer. Been a real reliable little vehicle and get me where I need to go. Great gas mileage and going to keep it till the wheel fall off.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Toyota Tacoma almost 300,000 still runs great, exhaust pipe free of soot, clean running, love it. Good mileage, good work truck. Auto transmission good, easy drive.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I own a 2016 Toyota Tacoma and it has all of the creature comforts except for power seats. This was not an option when I purchased it but I need it and I assume that all owners feel the same.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Both the Nissan Pathfinder and the Toyota Tacoma drive exceptionally well. They both offer decent gas mileage. Both the vehicles are sporty and can certainly be conservative as well.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My Tacoma was brought to ToyotaWorld Newark in Nov. 2011 for a rust problem and they coated the frame with corrosion preventive compound and promised that the coating would fix the problem. In Nov. 2015 it was brought in again because rust was present. Dealership would not do anything because it was out of warranty by 3 months (Toyota knew my VIN, yet did not notify). Toyota never recalled 1995-2004 Tacomas even though they bought back and conducted frame repairs on some vehicles through those years. I bought this vehicle in May 2017. There was some rust but it didn't look like it was that bad. Last week I noticed 2 cracks in the frame, one on the left frame and one on the right frame. I took it to Shore Toyota in NJ and they said it was under warranty (because work was done in 2011 and the 15 year warranty applied from the time rust was an issue) and they would call me about a rental car the next day.

When they didn't call, I called them and they said it wasn't under warranty. I asked if they would give me an estimate and I wanted to have my Tacoma fixed there. They never called back. Again I called to follow up. Larry, the service manager, said that it was inspected, they wouldn't fix it, and it was unsafe to drive. I wrote on their service invoice that 'Shore Toyota refused to do work on frame when I offered to pay out-of-pocket.' When I asked for a photocopy of the invoice, they refused. Complained to Toyota Customer Service case # **. Supervisor did not return my call.

Bottom line: I've been driving in a vehicle that could have resulted in the death of me and my loved ones. Toyota knows that the frames of their 1994-2004 vehicles (800,000 of them) are defective. Yet, Toyota has never recalled these vehicles. They should be repaired, bought back, or replaced by Toyota. How many individuals will have to be injured or die because this problem is not addressed?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I would not advise buying a Tacoma with the 3.5 V6 and automatic transmission. I was excited to pick mine up from the dealership but after the first drive was very unimpressed with the acceleration and braking. After more miles the issues kept coming up and the erratic shifting and steering vibration made me concerned. I started reading reviews and found thousands of complaints online that resemble my issues. I set up a visit with a technician and was told it is just how the truck drives. This also matches the experience of others in the online reviews.

Toyota has clearly educated the technicians to tell people to deal with it and go away. Those are my words but I hope you get the point. It’s not a good vehicle in my opinion and I want others to be warned before buying. I do not feel safe in my truck due to the lack of acceleration and poor handling. It also underperforms by 4-5 mpg and I drive highway miles, not fast or aggressively. I have a hunch Toyota knows about the issues but has already had a recall and won’t take another hit with the drivetrain. I would like Toyota to buy back or trade for a comparable 4Runner without incurring loss and paying sales tax and doc fees. Otherwise I will be forced to trade at a loss. If I do so it will not be for another Tacoma or Toyota, ever again.

Updated on 02/06/2018: I would like to update my initial review of my Tacoma (Tacoma TRD Off Road Automatic V6) based on my last visit to the dealership. First the technician couldn’t replicate the shifting issues. I was not in the vehicle when he drove it, but I insisted that they check the fluid. It turns out the transmission fluid was low. After they filled it I drove it home and noticed a difference right away. It still hunts for gears and is not a great driving pickup, but at least I can merge into traffic without panic. Now I will watch to see if my MPG goes up. So far I’m still getting 16 on the highway. Why would Toyota continue to sell trucks low on fluid after they knew about it in 2016?

This truck has left a bad taste and I still would caution a person who is considering buying one. Test drive it for a long time and get them to run diagnostics and check fluids. I had a checklist that was not filled out in my glove box. I showed the sales person and he brought it back in 10 minutes checked off and signed. Is it possible to do an inspection that quickly? I hope to receive a reply from Toyota.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

This 4,000lbs truck stock from the factory on the highway is getting me 12-14 mpg’s on the highway. I have already taken it to 2 dealership so both say truck not throwing codes. It's updated to most recent TSB’s flash tune. I drive around 80-100 miles on any given day and I have to be putting 15-20$ daily in this truck in fuel! I don't drive hard fast. Just normal cruising speed 70-75 mph (mind you Texas interstates) and still it's nowhere near the advertised mpg’s, the transmission cannot hold 5 or 6th gear to save a life. Any little incline or slight headwind and it's constant downshifting! Honestly if I was at least near 16-17 mpg’s I wouldn't complain as much but 12-14 mpg’s really grind my gears for this tiny truck! It's reliable yes. It looks good yes. But the constant shifting and bad mpg’s really make me not like this truck.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

2017 TRD OFF Road - 4x4 - 20000 miles. Very Unhappy with this truck. Bought it on the premise of "Toyota" reliability, performance and etc... so here's my complaints: 1.) Gas Mileage is NOT as advertised. Toyota advertises around 20 - 24 MPG highway and 15 -17 city. I get 15-17 anywhere. 2.) Transmission is squirrely and downshifts at the slightest blow of wind or change of road incline. Not stable on highway - yes it has the new updated software version. 3.) Too many goofy safety features, bells, whistles and other "deterrent" things to capture one's attention away from the fact that it just doesn't have the goods to compete with real trucks. 4.) Easily markable/scratchable plastic - seems like the interior plastic is a from the lowest bidder. 5.) Roof rack - nope. Try again Toyota. Just get a fixed metal rack and dump the cheap "plastic" ideas.

6.) Rear transaxle noise. I often hear a "clunking" from the rear axle/differential when slowing down to a stop or accelerating. Seems like the drive train is either trying to catch up with the engine or dropping the load. 7.) Toyota service centers - will not listen to customers. I tell them of these issues and all they do is respond with what seems a pre-printed response and dismiss the issue and customer. I have been a Mechanic for 20+ years - I think I know what I am talking about. 8.) Gas pedal/er... potentiometer - not that responsive - sometimes you get nothing until you depress it halfway down then the engine revs to the higher Tach band. Just stick with a cable.

9.) Towing MPG literally... SUCK! I bought a 5x8 trailer and pulled it back from the deal, Empty - I got 11 MPG. Overall... Car sells for around $38,000 and in my opinion this squeaky cheap plastic truck is not worth over $25,000. Save yourself the time, hassle, disappointments and just get a V8 or diesel Chevy/Ford/Dodge Truck. As soon as I can - I will be selling this thing.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Beware!!! Majority of 2012 Tacomas have defective air injection valve and pump assembly. The manufacturing defect allows moisture into these units and disables your vehicle! Toyota initiated a recall for these items in Tundras but has not done so with the Tacomas. It may have been covered under the warranty (64,000 miles on the truck) except Toyota hides behind the "water intrusion" exclusion to avoid honoring the warranty. Now wait for it... The cost to replace these parts is over $2,000. Understandably we were shocked. We were advised by the service manager at our Erie Pa. dealership to contact Toyota directly since we have owned 9 Toyotas over 2 decades. He felt they may reimburse us at least part of the cost due to customer loyalty. Don't bother contacting the "customer experience" line. No help with the bill. ZERO. The dealership did offer a free oil change and detailing.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We bought a 2017 Toyota Tacoma truck in Feb. and it has been nothing but a headache. After having it a few weeks my husband realized there was a severe deformity in the driver's side door panel, they had to order a new panel and after 2 trips out there. (approximately 50 miles round trip) They fixed it, or so we thought. It was fixed incorrectly so we had to go back out so they could repair what was forgotten. Then there was a recall because of a leak issue in the rear differential. Now a few months later there is an issue with the dash.

We dropped our truck off to have this issue fixed on a Saturday and we were told it would take only 4 hrs to fix. Later that evening they called and told us it would be a few days that they had to order parts. Tuesday morning we received a call saying our truck was ready. My husband went to pick up the truck that was to be repaired and it was not performed up to what I figured Toyota standards were. The dash was NOT attached, the shift was not fastened down and we now have grease on a seat. Now once again we are having to bring in the truck back in so they can fix what they half fixed last week.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

One the years I purchased over 12 trucks from Toyota and the 2006 rusted apart on the frame. Holes and I have photos so bad I was instructed not to drive, never pull anything as it may bread in half. I did not obtain a recall so had to file the forms as part of a lawsuit. This was one of two trucks Tacoma's I filled on and this one is the only one with major rust. Now I have learned Toyota has no record and due to this getting hosed again by them. Will no longer purchased any Toyota and have moved to Honda for trucks and waiting for the new Ranger. Toyota has had this rust problem as far back as 1998 and it continues. Just check layered frames that don't last.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Tacoma 2017 4x4 off-road is not really off road worthy due to the fact that the front bumper valance gets ripped off when driving through a foot deep of water and your license plate comes off together with it because it's mounted on the valance itself.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Toyota makes a wonderful vehicle. This Tacoma is my 7th Toyota, however dealer service is terrible. I was promised weather tech mats and a remote starter. Dealer never came through after repeated attempts. My bad for not pursuing. Do not get the clear coat. Expensive waste of money. Salesman was a big bag of wind.

Toyota Tacoma Company Information