Toyota Avalon

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a 2002 Toyota Camry. That was the best riding car. I could ride through rain, sleet, and snow with it. Since my experience was good I wanted to stick with Toyota something that I was familiar with but wanted to buy a new car and upgrade. I upgraded to the Avalon. Worse mistake in the world. 2014 Avalon is the worse driving car, the radio and the sound system sucks. I will be getting rid of this car in a few months. Very disappointed.

I purchased new a 2013 Toyota. Have had difficulty removing bugs from front of car. Paint chips very easy. After less than 3 years and 36,00 miles, the bug mark penetrate the paint making it impossible to clean them off. I have a Ford F150 and a Cadillac SRX from which the bugs are very easily removed. Auto body repair rep said the fault is the quality of Toyota paint.

Purchased 3 weeks ago and not happy at all. I accept responsibility for buying this vehicle and getting caught up in the excitement of purchasing my very first brand new car at the age of 51. I expected luxury, which is what I specifically asked for when arriving at the dealership. The ride is rough. Can hear the road. The stereo system is generic at best and has to be turned all the way up to hear it over the road noise. Forget about using the stereo if the sunroof is open. The brakes are rough. I can feel them grind. I assumed I would be able to talk and text and not just use a preset quick response message.

My mistake again. I really thought this vehicle was supposed to be top of the line. The ride is stiff, but I can live with it. On the plus side, I do like blind spot option. Navigation is fine. Most of the time it's easier to just type on the screen vs repeating myself 5 times to the voice option, that ultimately won't understand me. A/C works well. Love the keyless entry and push button start. A bit disappointed that this vehicle has less options than other lower end brands on the market.

2008 Toyota Avalon - Pushing the start button while foot is on the brake doesn't always start the car, sometimes it can take 10 to 15 tries before starting. The dealer (where I purchased is and who has been the only one to service it) kept it for 24 hours and could only replicate the problem once. They said they ran full diagnostics and found nothing wrong. Well, this happens almost every day, every time I try to start it. I'm taking it back to the dealer again, and suggesting they check the brake to starter relay and the push button itself. I'm hesitant to go out of town being fearful it won't start at all. The car only has 38,000 miles on it and, until now has been great.

I've owned my Avalon Hybrid 2 years. I only have 17,000 miles, which is comprised of 12,000 on the all season radials and 5000 miles on the snow tires I bought separately. Both sets of front tires experienced premature wear to the entire tread surface, given the light mileage. It's not an alignment issue because the wear is uniform. Waiting to find out what would cause the same problem to 2 sets of tires. Wind noise with the driver's side window is awful unless I open another window.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

I did a few reviews of the Avalon before purchasing and should've dug a little deeper. I bought into the hype that Toyotas are great in quality and wrongly assumed that their flagship would be top of the line. If I can steer even one person clear of my mistake then this review will be worth it, though having said that maybe I should at least wait until I can sell the car. First off, I own a 2015 Avalon Limited. I've had it less than 9 months and I am ready to get out of it ASAP. On first glance, the car looks nice, the professional reviews of it are glowing, and it has an upscale-looking interior. The engine is smooth and powerful. However, that's where the fun ends.

Shortly after purchase I noticed that if the radio is barely turned up I get an annoying buzz coming from the door panels. Three shop visits and two dealerships later, Toyota corporate's response is that "this is within normal spec" and their advice to me is to listen at lower levels and turn the bass all the way down. That is NOT an acceptable answer to me. Second, as other people have complained about on here, there are too many squeaks and rattles. I haven't even bothered complaining to the dealership about this issue, but as pointed out by others this is not acceptable in a car with an MSRP exceeding $40,000. The ride isn't too bad. A little stiff, but not too bad. However, the seats are very uncomfortable on long trips. I've driven budget rental cars that are less brutal to the back than this thing.

The latest development is a near stall right after the engine starts. It turns over fine, runs for a second, and then stutters and hesitates before recovering. I have not yet had time to bring it back to the dealership for a warranty repair, but I also do not have faith that they will fix it unless the engine completely dies. As for dealing with Toyota's customer service, it is the absolute worst. I work M-F 8-5:30 and I'm on the east coast. Toyota assigned my case regarding the buzzing sound to a case manager in California who works until 5:30.

I have explained in my approximately 15 calls that this time frame is unacceptable to me and that I need them to assign my case to someone who works later hours, but they refuse and only tell me "it's documented." That seems to be all they do, "document." Basically, if you're looking at the Avalon you probably have expectations on what a $40k flagship model car should be. This is NOT it. You would do much better by shopping and purchasing something else as there are cars costing much less that are much better in terms of both quality and customer care.

$43k new car (we worked out a cash offer, but still could have went $7,000 less without navigation) with 10 miles and with 2 year outdated navigation system. Talk about frustrating trying to get local addresses inputted or through voice. It is so stupid it can't even find the address I'm sitting in front of. Paid cash, so dealer doesn't care about updating it to make us happy. Yet, the Navigation system accounts for $7,000 of the car's price tag. What a Joke Toyota!! So called hot qi-charging system: the pad is too small for ANY Samsung galaxy phone, and won't charge through the thinnest case on my phone yet all my other wireless pads at home work with my phone AND my partner's Otterbox on hers.

Quiet car?? Not! The road noise coming through the rear deck panel makes it hard to enjoy the inside JBL system. Most American made cars have a cover in the trunk that covers and protects the rear speakers from luggage damage AND reduces the road noise the trunk delivers, AND increases the quality of the sound system. Not in the Avalon! No Access to a live power outlet when car is off. Miss that from last car. (Most cars have them to keep the iPads and game systems charged for use.) Can't charge a phone while parked at a business so I can have a charged phone upon return to vehicle. No, I have to go without a phone because the dumb qi-charging system doesn't work and the usb is only rated a 1.0 output, not enough to charge a smartphone.

I miss my Altima that had everything and worked perfectly... Now I'm regretting getting the Avalon because road trips will be a joke. Why have a $7,000 navigation system in a car and have to rely on my phone's google maps for direction??? And not have a decent way to keep the phone charged using the maps for hours; the phone gets hot, the battery charging shuts down and I get to destination and have to beg for power from the business I enter... So this is my review for the new car we bought 10 days ago. And it has created more hassles than relieved. Oh, the dang cup holders only hold a 12 ounce can. No more taking my cup of coffee with me on the road. No more 24 oz soda bottle that I have used for years... And can't get over 14.7 mpg with mostly highway travel, so far...

Purchased a 2014 Avalon program car. I had have numerous issue with creaking noise coming from what sounds like behind the rear seats. Dealer said it was the sunroof liner. Replaced it twice, car still creaks. Took it back said they put some kind of foam sealant In the back, car still creaks, I don't know what to do. I have had 2 other Avalons never had this type of problem. The noise is driving me crazy. Going to have to take off from work to take it again this week. I am considering calling the attorney general office or local TV station for help.

I have a 2008 Toyota Avalon limited and it is one of the best cars I have ever used. It has 187,000 miles on it and only thing done to it was new battery and windshield wipers!! And this car has not been treated nice. I have taken it through fields and I drive 8 miles of gravel a day and I go full trouble all the time!! Still like brand new!! Everything works in it!! Even the dynamic cruise that most cars are just getting today!! Have hit a ratcoon going 60 that came up to license plate did nothing. Neighbor did that with ford taurus and did over $4,000 in damage!!!

This is a very tough well built car!! And I would recommend this car any day to anyone!! And for all the other complaints on this site every car might have a problem but you don't know how good you have it, if you have an Avalon because for instance where I live on average there are about 4 issues before 50,000 miles on all GMs and this is not a lie!! My dad's pickup has had 16 things done to it under warranty not even to 80,000 miles and my car has gone through more than that pickup (no joke)!! He is going to tundra! I hope this helps!!

Three times now, our 2000 Toyota Avalon has started by itself while it was locked with no one in the car and no key in the ignition. The flashers come on and all the lights in the inside display flash. When key is inserted in the ignition and turned into the OFF position, the car shuts off. However, when key is removed, restarts. It takes several tries to get the engine to shut off and stay off. Any idea how or why this could be happening?

I wish I could state that the 2013 Toyota Avalon is as solid as my 2005 Lexus RX 330 or the 2007 Mercury Mariner that I bought for my daughter. Alas, the Avalon has a bunch of annoying creaks and rattles - in the steering column and in the retracting rear window sunshade. Also both the fog lights popped in the first six months of ownership (on Bay Area highways), and since they cost around $350 each to replace at the dealership, I decided not to reward them for selling me a product that has cost me more service trips that my last 4 new cars put together. Definitely would not recommend the car. I see they have changed the fog lights substantially in the newer model which may be OK for new owner but old loyal owners who took a risk on the new model are left high and dry. I could be forking out $700 on the fog lights every year.

Issues I've complained about for year to Toyota only to find out now Toyota was aware of them all along there were recalls & service bulletin. That should have covered my Toyota Issue. The recall for steering column was on 2005. Mine is a early model 2006 with the exact same safety issue. The resolve for me is that Toyota fix the vehicle and not try and hold me responsible for half the cost as the are now doing. My car has been cared for only by Toyota service since the day it was purchase from Toyota new in 2006. The District Manager for Toyota Bruce ** made the call not to honor this safety issue.

2003 Avalon XLS, 114000 miles - started with stains on the garage floor, then needed to add 1/2 quart at a time of Motor Oil. A Toyota loyal family, never had problems with Tercel, 4 Camrys, Sienna & presently a Lexus RX 350 & this oil-leaking Avalon. Shame on the manufacturer, destroyed the trust of ours and many others. Remember the Avalon 2005 model onwards brought down the Toyota to its knees, had to pay billions in fines on continued denial of an uncontrolled acceleration, causing many deaths of people who trusted Toyota.

We, like others, paid extra upfront when buying Toyotas hoping such problems are not seen. But alas the GREED of these multinationals cutting costs on quality, does not serve their customers nor themselves. SHAME on you Toyota - you will continue to make millions, treading over the common people who spend thousands repairing your manufacturing faults. Remember that ill-gotten wealth will not serve you well.

In the beginning I would like to say to whomever is interested in buying this car should read this review and consider others reviews since they all turn out to be true! Most of them were preference based complaints but there were some regarding some mechanical issues which I will mention again in more detail I'm just glad that I didn't buy Cadi XTS or Lacrosse which I was considering, but reviews gave me a night mares and right now I'm sure that they would turn out to be true: losing power, electric problems and so on.

I know that long reviews scare people off, but if you buying this $36000 car, you should invest few minutes. Let me start from that I'm a previous owner of VW CC and most of my comparisons will be to that car. I just purchased 2014 Avalon Turing version used with under 10.000 miles. The biggest issue for me and from most of the reviewers is that the whole interior (meaning door panels, dashboard in my car especially rear doors and behind passenger seats) squeaks which is unacceptable for this type of car. It is a squeaking noise in the city on tiny potholes, big ones, bumps and highway joints. Barely noticeable during the day because of the outside ambient noise, with occasional louder squeaks here and there. But at night it is impossible to drive without music on- it drive me crazy!

So far I asked two car service drivers and they confirm this with smile on the faces. I guess that's what happen your/the cars are being assembled by union workers in US or this time Japanese engineers not calibrated suspension system- which is another flow in this car. It is very hard, almost like my previous car VW CC, but give you NO handling control. It is not a stiff car by all means, but you just feel all bumps with a dull sound. I always thought hard suspension comes with stiff car and great handling power, like CC, but this car broke that rule- forget about coming out of the ramp on to the highway with greater speed than on the speed signs- it literally slips out.

Sometimes when I read some professional reviews "new 2013 Avalon, great handling etc..." my blood is boiling! What are they comparing it to... what car did they drive before... I guess all those commercial review are like news- nothing is true! They saying that it should be a highway cruising car, but for average guy like me (6'-0" in height) when my seat is pulled back at around 80% my legs are slightly bend and steering wheel is pulled back all the way, BUT my hands are almost all the way stretch out! It is impossible to drive like this from over a ½ H! I can move my seat in but then my legs are not comfortable. Bottom line the telescopic steering wheel doesn't pull out far enough.

Huge car like this and 6'-0" tall passenger can't pull out the front passenger seat far enough, so he can fully stretch his legs, even though there is ton of space behind the seat. Once again small sporty VW CC you could easily stretch your legs and if you wanted to touch the bottom, you even had to slightly slide down! So again what kind of cruising car is that!

Another thing that bother me is that the car is loud inside, meaning that is not isolating the sound well. It applies to all: traffic outside the car, while driving on the highway: tire noise, wind noise. And the most during the rain and snow: everything that come out of the tires you can hear like its coming inside. I remember that back when I had Dodge Neon!

Brakes are not responsible at all, you have to press the brake pedal half way through for the car to start braking. It is something that you can get use to quickly get use to.

Sound system! It is a disaster and I have Touring version with premium sound with 9 speakers. First off, sound cheap. I don't know how else to describe it. And then it sound like it's coming out only from one speaker which is located in the front dashboard. I tried to balance it to the back but it's not helping much. Then the basses- cheap bass sound! Plus you can't use it fully because then all the car squeaks, like wrong installed aftermarket system.

Fuel economy: I got exactly 25 MPG highway and on-board computer showed 23.4 MPG. I drove 95% highway between 70-80 MPH on my 169.4 mile long skiing trip. 5% being off the exit to the slope and back on clean road no traffic. I used the same Shell gas station in which I put in 6.776 gal of regular. I didn't confirm the city driving yet. So far computer shows sometimes 14, sometimes 18. Once again those are not just my complaints based on my wishes or what I would imagine the perfect car to be. Those are just simple things that I noticed as a driver transferring from simple firm like VW and simple model like CC that offered all of this.

SMALL Things. Like trunk is 6" shorter inside than my VW CC. I noticed that at the dealership when I was putting my umbrella from my old car. But is wider and I guess the devoted that space for the interior. Sun glass holder, it was designed by someone, but they never put physical glasses in it! They fall of when you open the tray and it is hard to put them in. You have to assist them with your hand to close it. It has a lot of space inside but it is just too shallow.

Glove box so small. Almost no space in the front doors pockets, forget about putting even squished plastic bottle. Behind the seat packets, so shallow- it was so hard to add some leather to make them deeper, so you can actually used them! Middle compartment between front seats short, but deep. Which is useless because you can't stack up pens & etc on top of each other. Should be divided with two separate trays like other cars. Car key SO CHEAP looking. You would be ashamed to put it on the bar table. Come on for 36 grands you could invest few more bucks to design something modern, looks like those aftermarket alarms that I use to install to my old car!

When the fuel is on the reserve, it doesn't show how many miles to empty just "please refuel." I hate that. Center red stop light bounces out of the rear window and at night look like it's blinking in your rear mirror each time you press brake. USB doesn't distinguish the Folders in which your music is located. It picks all the music files at once and list it alphabetically. Another thing to consider, that doesn't bother me, but I saw some complaints, that right AC vent corner which is too pointy can injure your knee while you entering the car. Especially if you are smaller and the seat is pulled in. That corner is too low, exactly at the level of your bended knee when entering the vehicle.

Please note that I'm not usually of high expectations but those are just comparisons base on the simple brand like VW and Avalon is like the Signature model for Toyota and you would expect just little more not much less. There are some CONS- I'm not totally pessimistic:

You can turn off DRL! Finally I hated that in my VW. The car has big interior and it feels that way when you seat in it. I like the design of the dashboard- it's like the architectural student project: surface overlapping the surface- looks mature and modern. It has that longitudinal design and give you that visual openness inside the car and lightness.

Interior materials- I would say close to high end, no cheap plastics. Back up camera and automatic tilting exterior mirrors- I just wish they would be dimmed. Seats comfortable so far for me- I saw a lot of complaints that they are too hard. Pass through to the trunk: you can fit 3 pair of skins. The engine is powerful, doesn't choke and doesn't think too much when you press the gas pedal. The car feels very light when you drive it.

I recently purchased a 2009 Toyota Avalon used with 47,000 miles on it. When I test drove it at the dealer, it performed flawlessly. I've had it now for 1 week and it has developed a loud knocking sound in the engine when it is cold. Knock lasts for about 5 minutes and then the engine sounds fine. Does anyone have any insight to this problem and should I be concerned that the engine will have issues soon?

I have a 2007 Toyota Avalon, my mother in law has a 2006 Toyota Avalon. Both have cracked dashes. Both are kept under a garage and in excellent condition and low mileage. According to Toyota it is our responsibility to have them fixed. Via the Internet I have come across many others with the same problem. Why is there not a recall on these cracked dashes?

Left for more than 2-3 days, the battery goes dead. I had an exhaustive test done on the two year old battery by the seller who, frankly, would have the bias to sell me a replacement. Instead, he pronounced the battery as good. We checked all switched lights: interior, trunk, glove box, and hood (we placed an iPhone on video in each of these to confirm the lapse were off even when the the compartments were closed). I see this as critical as we live in MN where being stranded in sub-zero temperatures is dangerous. I will be pulling banks of non-essential fuses to further test faulty electronics, focusing on the radio amp under the passenger seat -- as this has been cited by other Avalon owners. BTW, love the car except for this, hence the high rating.

I bought a new Toyota Avalon XLE in March 2014. In April I had a sudden acceleration problem but managed to stop before hitting anything. On Oct. 20 while parking the car it had another acceleration problem and hit a tree which caused $7,000 worth of damages. Toyota can't explain either incident. Please be very careful if you own this car.

Car is always garaged! Opened front door one morning and smelled a cigarette (?) odor... We don't smoke. A day or 2 later the smell was intolerable!!! I took the car to a local Collision repair where I know the owner and he found that the carpeting in the ENTIRE INSIDE of the vehicle soaking wet. I used my carpet cleaner to extract the water (took 2.5 days) and it got even worse! We were told it was mold. After much to do w/ the local and national Toyota authorities they told us to bring it in for an evaluation. I told them it was too dangerous to drive and inhale the fumes from the mold.

Finally, the MANAGER came to our home and gave the car a good look and said it "isn't a manufacturer's defect" but he would take it back to his dealership for an eval. They told us it could have been a spider's web that covered the AC discharge tube backing up the water into the cabin. The manager even told me that they now have a device they install at the end of the AC discharge tube which contain an insecticide to prevent this for happening.

We take our car into Toyota exclusively for our regular scheduled maintenance where (they obviously are aware of the problem) this should have been inspected and PREVENTED!!!! They refuse to take any responsibility even though they had knowledge of a problem in the past. We are now going to arbitration on this matter. We are long and loyal customers w/ Toyota and Lexus... some sense of loyalty on their part!!!! We are still paying on an auto loan with no car to show for it!!!! Win or no win w/ arbitration or insurance, we still lose the longevity of a car with only 34,000 miles after our purchase of this vehicle when our lease was up. "LETS GO SOMEWHERE" ... Yeah, right Toyota.

There is a moldy or musty odor in my 2014 Avalon. I brought it to the dealership and they said they know what I was experiencing. They told me there is no fix, and I should adjust the airflow settings to avoid the odor. I had the service department replace the air and cabin filters (at my expense on a vehicle with 2,600 miles). This did not make a bit of difference. I am now having to live with a $40,000 vehicle and a musty odor every time I get in the car. After reading other reviews it seems this not an isolated issue. Why doesn't Toyota have a resolution for this repeated problem?

I have owned two 2004 Toyota Avalon XLSs. The first one was totaled, through no fault of my own, in a head-on collision in 2006 - 10 months after I purchased that vehicle. I replaced that Avalon with my current vehicle, which has only 41,000 miles. The only major repair I have had to make is to have the brakes replaced. There have been several recall issues, which have been repaired by the local dealer, before I was even aware of most of them. However, I'm very concerned now because the latest recall, an issue with electronic signals that interfere with, and is suppose to cause the airbags to deploy is taking a very long time for Toyota to come up with a solution. Lately, my airbag light keeps coming on and off. It's getting scary. Other than that, I'm am 100% satisfied with Toyota service and value. I have never owned a vehicle that has been so reliable and cost-effective with regard to maintenance.

I bought a used 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited on 2013. Just recently I had to change ignition coil, and now when the car sits long period of time first when I start the car and put on reverse gear, it's making strange noise (STATIC) kind of noise for 5 seconds and stops. After that no problem until I park the car and let it sit for some time and then again it does the same thing.

2006 Avalon XLE - Ruptured VV-i oil line plus other problems. Had a sudden massive UNKNOWN oil leak. No dash lights ever went on, including low oil, temperature or "check engine" lights. Drove it for 30 or so miles before going into our garage. Noticed oily water stains that the tires made on the garage floor as it was raining that day. Turned off the engine and checked the dipstick and it showed no oil level. Added a quart of oil - same thing. Added 4 more quarts of oil, checking the dip stick each time, and no oil level never showed. Looked underneath the car and there was all of the oil, which came out as fast as it could be poured.

Had the car towed to our only Toyota dealer in town and they said the rubber VV-i oil line on the passenger side had a hole into which you could insert you small finger. Never received any recall notice on this 12 year old problem that Toyota has been having and they said my car's VIN was not subject to recall for this problem. The car currently has just turned 66,000 miles.

The service dept said they heard engine noises after the oil hose was replaced, indicating more engine damage. There was never any engine noise heard in all of the miles the car was driven with the ruptured oil line and little to no oil. The costs will be about $3600 or $5,000 minimally depending on whether one or both camshaft timers are replaced, and there could be further internal engine damages. If Toyota treats me as badly as others on this forum, this will turn into a legalities situation.

The car has had a perfect and timely service record and did all that was required of me. I think Toyota should be held accountable for not doing a recall on ALL of these V-6 engines and minimally retrofitting them with the alleged upgraded rubber VV-i hoses. Better yet, they should have spent a few more bucks on these cars and put in an all metal line on this high pressure system. The additional engine damage I think is clearly Toyota's responsibility as it is a result the ruptured oil line and even more importantly, a result of TOTAL failure of their dashboard warning system.

Bought my Avalon new and now have 191,000 miles. It's been the best car I have ever had. Show me a car that doesn't need repairs over time and I will consider buying one as long as it has features and qualities equal or better than my Avalon. My 2000 Toyota Tundra is good but does't compare. I drove my 1985 Toyota 22R Extra Cab Pickup for 17 years. It's hard for me to go to another car company. I guess I'm just lucky. You have to drive these cars hard to get the best out of them. Don't be timid!

First, there are plenty of recalls. Second, Toyota is costly, yet no customer care nor quality control! Purchased 4 tires from Superior Toyota Erie, PA and all 4 leaked and needed new valve stems in less than a week, as if our time is not important. Finally, another recall and still they haven't fixed or determined what is causing rust to come from all 4 door handles, as if it is unique until you go on line and find out it is in every car with the same door handles that leak rust. They think we ought to pay to have it fixed but it is a day one defect! They lost this customer when I'm ready to start looking to buy another car but not another Toyota Avalon Limited 2005 with 56,000K almost all highway! I'm gonna fight this and now I know I'm not the only guy; maybe see about a class action. I won't see the repair on their dime.

I never realized how cheap Toyota and their dealers are! My wife's Honda Accord has top of the line customer care and they back their product! This is not the first time something like this happened. Pontiac over baked the primer on Pontiac Grand Ams with the Quad4 and didn't want me to tell anyone about the complete paint job to fix the problem, even though the warranty ran out! Today I'm looking at a Lincoln, Hyundai Genesis, and a Mercedes, the new type, and maybe a Honda Accord Sedan. Anybody have any suggestions?

I purchased my 2007 Toyota Avalon in 2010. I expected a few problems but none like what I have experienced. 2 years in, I got brakes replaced. I had my ignition coils replaced twice. I had an extremely bad oil leak. The rear shade was making this terrible noise. I eventually took the fuse out. My a/c shutter are broken. The paint is peeling on my bumper and the interior dash. The passenger side seat belt is broken. The car currently in the shop getting painted. I have spent approx $3000.00... with the warranty (bumper to bumper is not really bumper to bumper). Should have got a Honda.

At approximately 65,000 miles I had to pay over $500 to replace the bulbs in my headlights. At approximately 110,000 miles both bright lights went out at same time. At 125,000 miles one of my low beam light started cutting out one minute after turning on. I brought the car to my local dealer. They told me both HID headlight assemblies need to be replaced at a cost of $2,662.00.

Toyota extended the warranty on the lights to 72,000 miles but my problem occured after the extended warranty expired. Toyota must know they have a defective product because of the extended warranty and because of all the complaints on the internet. I complained to Toyota at 800-431-4331. The useless person I spoke to denied that they are aware of a problem and said if people don't call to complain there is no way for them to know. I asked for a supervisor to call me but that hasn't happened. I also filed a complaint at Nhtsa.gov. If you are having the same problem please file complaints with the toll free number and Nhtsa.gov. My advice - Don't buy Toyota. They don't stand behind their products and charge outrageous prices for parts to replace their defective equipment.

I purchased a 2009 Avalon new. Had severe headlight problems from the beginning. Headlights were too dim for drive at night safely (come to find out I was driving on the fog lights only, the dim headlight would come on and then turn off so just the fog lights were on), and the dealer would not adjust them stating that it was against the law to adjust them more than the manufacturer's settings, and then the headlight started turning off completely when driving (which was more than terrifying), but the indicator light inside the car said they were on. I took the car back to the dealer many times, always got the same answer: "Your car is fine," "That's just the way they operate".

I am 71 years old and I guess they think I'm stupid (not). Finally after many trips and the headlights turning off completely, they tell me the headlights are defective, but I have to pay to have them fixed. $2600.00 for 2 headlights. My dealer received a letter from Toyota stating the headlights were defective a long time ago, but my dealer never informed me and put me off and would tell me the car was fine until the offer to fix them had expired. I'm not going to just let this go without a fight. Toyota knew these 2009 Avalons had defective headlights and did not recall them. I will spread the word that Toyota will not stand behind their cars and if people are smart they will go elsewhere to buy their cars. I am joining with class action suit to make Toyota fix all these defective headlights.

Just bought a used 2009 Toyota Avalon XLS. The engine knocks for the first 10 mins after starting it up. The adjustable steering wheel collapses while driving and I'm worried about the gas pedal sticking. I have a 2000 with 230,000 miles and a 2003 with 175,000 miles both great cars. They have only been in the shop for main. I've had the 2009 for 3 weeks and it has been in the shop once.

I own a 2002 Avalon XLS, great car but in the past year, it has started making a "groaning" noise when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds. It has been looked at by several mechanics and they indicate that the noise is coming from the steering column. One suggestion was to replace the steering column. I am searching for anyone that knows of a similar situation and what can be done to eliminate this annoying noise. A $35K car should not make these types of noises.

Toyota Avalon Company Profile