Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.73/5

Toyota Avalon

The Toyota Avalon is a mid-size car. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

71 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 9, 2010

I bought a new 2002 Toyota Avalon with an extended warranty. I had no problems with the car until about 60,000 miles. It began to smoke and use oil. The car had never been in the shop and had used only AmsOil in the engine. I took it to the dealership. Tests were run and I was told that the engine had sludge. I was also told that since my son-in-law, who is an AmsOil dealer and a mechanic for Fed Ex, had taken care of oil changes, they could not say I had taken care of the car. It is a known fact that Toyota has had sludge problems, but I was told that they did not by the service manager. I am 78 years old, retired, and on a fixed income. I cannot afford a new car and I feel that I have been insulted by them at the very least. He said they could repair it for $4,000 which I cannot afford.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2010

I purchased Toyota Avalon in 2000. Two or three years later, the engine was packed with sludge. Toyota repaired the problem at no cost, but told me it could occur again. And it did in 2008. My husband took care of the basic maintenance car repairs. Unfortunately, I didn't keep all of the receipts.

In 2008 I took the car to the Toyota dealership when the engine light came on. Yes, they discovered another sludge problem but told me the cost would be around $6,000 - $9,000. I told them that they should have in their records that this is the 2nd time this sludge problem has occurred. I provided my copy of the receipt. I also provided copies of maintenance documents that I had, but that wasn't enough. They told me to call a Toyota representative in another state and she would investigate.

According to her analysis, I did not have sufficient proof that regular maintenance had been performed on my vehicle, thus, my claim was denied for repair unless I paid. I cannot afford to purchase another car at this time in my life, and my car is literally on its last leg. Every time I put the key into the ignition, I pray. My car has no power, burns gas ridiculously, and makes this awful clunking sound. Oh, I was also told by the Toyota representative that I had just missed the boat by a few months with the class action lawsuit. I was not even aware of the lawsuit until I did an internet search in 2008 - during the time I was trying to get Toyota to right their wrong.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2010

My 2009 Avalon XLS came with two problems: front end vibration above 65 mph and an intermittent vibration between 38 and 42 mph. After 5 trips to the dealer within two months and 5,000 miles, an inspection by a Southeast Toyota technician concluded that the car was operating normally. I placed 140 lbs of weights on the front passenger floor. That seemed to alleviate the vibration over 65 mph but created an obvious unsafe condition. The inconsistent vibration between 38-42 mph was still there. The only response I received from Toyota Corp or the dealer was a copy of the technician's report. I sent a final letter to Toyota. They opened a new file on the case after I traded the car. Rather than put up with these annoyances, I traded the car for a Hyundai. I would have traded for another Toyota but the dealer offer was ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2010

I purchased new 2007 Toyota Avalon from the showroom. Since I have the car, I had to make 5 trips to dealer. First, my tires went flat at 17800 miles and the dealer told me that it was an issue with Avalon. Next, the car was very noisy then the dealer told me that the factory forgot to put the liner with roof and the seats are sinking and quite uncomfortable for a long driving. The car is not as good as the Avalon I had purchased in 2001. Telescopic Steering Wheel Latch opens with road vibration and steering wheel goes down. Very scary experience.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2010

I have a 2004 Toyota Avalon sitting idle in my driveway with roughly 30,000 miles and a blown engine due to oil sludge. After reading through this website, I see I had the typical Toyota experience. I was told the sludge was my fault, I must never have changed my oil, must not have driven it enough, etc. They also did the condescending, "You must be an idiot or a liar because our cars don't create this problem" approach. I have to admit I must be an idiot - this is my second Avalon, the first also had the sludge, they told me I must have "put diesel" in it, but I was able to get that one repaired on my own with an engine overhaul at an independent mechanic. Do I have any recourse?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Avalon?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2009

On Nov 8th I was driving off in my hushand Avalon. Whn i started the car and proceed to go the car took off. The speed of the car kept accelarting it reached 90 miles per hour, the brakes did not work. emeregancy brakes did not work, I could not turn off the car...I finally got the car into park . The dealership is claiming mat issues...if this is the case why is there no recall from toyota??? I want some type of action and Toyota has to notify consumers.

Original review: June 8, 2009

I inherited a 1997 Toyota Avalon after my brother's death in 2002. He took impeccable care of his "baby" and never had a problem. I have been driving the car since then, and starting last year (2008) I noticed blue smoke when I started the car and while driving. I brought the car to a garage last year, and to a repair garage that I trust. They said that it was not burning oil. I do regular oil change maintenance on the car, and actually was getting an oil change every two months because the oil level was going down quickly. I took the car back to the garage in May 2009 and they told me that the car has engine sludge and that I should check out what Toyota is doing for the consumers with this issue because of the class action lawsuit. I called the Toyota dealer who then asked how many miles are on the car. I said somewhere around 100,000 and it is my main source of travel. She then said, "Sorry, we can't do anything for you." I can't afford a car now and I can't afford to get this fixed. What do I do?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2008

I own a 2003 Avalon with a bad sludge engine. Blows smoke on start up and burns oil EVERY DAY!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2008

We purchased a 2006 Toyota Avalon three years ago. From my first oil change I reported having a feeling of pulling in the transmission. It felt as though it would down shift rather than upshift when accelerating. I was told by several service writers that it was how the Avalon drove and to get use to it. My vehicle is 3 years old and currently has 63994 miles on it, just outside of the 60K warranty.

Toyota said they would give us $1000 towards our $5100 bill to replace my transmission, that failed completely as I was trying to merge into traffic on south bound I-25 in Denver. I had issues, and was repeatedly told that that was normal for the Avalon. I have found articles from other owners with identical issues, and still Toyota will do nothing. I really feel that there is enough complaints to warrent a recall. I wish they had just owned up to it earlier, so I could have purchased an extended service contract, or had it replaced while it was under warranty. I think they need to foot the bill on this, since they knew it was an issue and still did nothing about it.

stuck with a new transmission for $4100 out of my pocket after only three years, 63K miles. I don't trust the replacement transmission, it has showen failure as well.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2008

More than 10 days now I have no car because my air conditionin my Avalon product in 2005 was brkdown and no more AC. I took the car to Toyota branch in Makka were I live. They promise after 10 days I will receive it on Sunday 19 Aug but now they say they have no more compressor. Imbelievable? Please help.

Original review: April 2, 2001

On Christmas Eve, 2000, I was involved in an accident where a drunk driver ran a stop sign and I hit him broadside. I have a 1998 Avalon and the airbags did not deploy. The extent of the damage is up to $12,000. We requested Toyota to look into this. It took them one month to visit the car. Once they visited, the outcome was that the impact was not sufficient to deploy the airbags and they would send a report. This was in January 2001 and have not received this report as yet.

First, I cannot believe that this is true considering the amount of damage. If this is true how do you feel comfortable in taking the car back after it is finally repaired? Besides this, the repair is a total joke. My main consern is that I cannot feel comfortable with a vehicle that had this kind of accident resulting in the damage and the airbags did not deploy.

Toyota Avalon Company Information