2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

The Toyota Avalon is a mid-size car. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Toyota Avalon Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Avalon?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Avalon?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

I purchased new a 2013 Toyota. Have had difficulty removing bugs from front of car. Paint chips very easy. After less than 3 years and 36,00 miles, the bug mark penetrate the paint making it impossible to clean them off. I have a Ford F150 and a Cadillac SRX from which the bugs are very easily removed. Auto body repair rep said the fault is the quality of Toyota paint.

Original review: June 17, 2016

Purchased 3 weeks ago and not happy at all. I accept responsibility for buying this vehicle and getting caught up in the excitement of purchasing my very first brand new car at the age of 51. I expected luxury, which is what I specifically asked for when arriving at the dealership. The ride is rough. Can hear the road. The stereo system is generic at best and has to be turned all the way up to hear it over the road noise. Forget about using the stereo if the sunroof is open. The brakes are rough. I can feel them grind. I assumed I would be able to talk and text and not just use a preset quick response message.

My mistake again. I really thought this vehicle was supposed to be top of the line. The ride is stiff, but I can live with it. On the plus side, I do like blind spot option. Navigation is fine. Most of the time it's easier to just type on the screen vs repeating myself 5 times to the voice option, that ultimately won't understand me. A/C works well. Love the keyless entry and push button start. A bit disappointed that this vehicle has less options than other lower end brands on the market.

Original review: June 3, 2016

2008 Toyota Avalon - Pushing the start button while foot is on the brake doesn't always start the car, sometimes it can take 10 to 15 tries before starting. The dealer (where I purchased is and who has been the only one to service it) kept it for 24 hours and could only replicate the problem once. They said they ran full diagnostics and found nothing wrong. Well, this happens almost every day, every time I try to start it. I'm taking it back to the dealer again, and suggesting they check the brake to starter relay and the push button itself. I'm hesitant to go out of town being fearful it won't start at all. The car only has 38,000 miles on it and, until now has been great.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I've owned my Avalon Hybrid 2 years. I only have 17,000 miles, which is comprised of 12,000 on the all season radials and 5000 miles on the snow tires I bought separately. Both sets of front tires experienced premature wear to the entire tread surface, given the light mileage. It's not an alignment issue because the wear is uniform. Waiting to find out what would cause the same problem to 2 sets of tires. Wind noise with the driver's side window is awful unless I open another window.

Original review: March 25, 2016

I did a few reviews of the Avalon before purchasing and should've dug a little deeper. I bought into the hype that Toyotas are great in quality and wrongly assumed that their flagship would be top of the line. If I can steer even one person clear of my mistake then this review will be worth it, though having said that maybe I should at least wait until I can sell the car. First off, I own a 2015 Avalon Limited. I've had it less than 9 months and I am ready to get out of it ASAP. On first glance, the car looks nice, the professional reviews of it are glowing, and it has an upscale-looking interior. The engine is smooth and powerful. However, that's where the fun ends.

Shortly after purchase I noticed that if the radio is barely turned up I get an annoying buzz coming from the door panels. Three shop visits and two dealerships later, Toyota corporate's response is that "this is within normal spec" and their advice to me is to listen at lower levels and turn the bass all the way down. That is NOT an acceptable answer to me. Second, as other people have complained about on here, there are too many squeaks and rattles. I haven't even bothered complaining to the dealership about this issue, but as pointed out by others this is not acceptable in a car with an MSRP exceeding $40,000. The ride isn't too bad. A little stiff, but not too bad. However, the seats are very uncomfortable on long trips. I've driven budget rental cars that are less brutal to the back than this thing.

The latest development is a near stall right after the engine starts. It turns over fine, runs for a second, and then stutters and hesitates before recovering. I have not yet had time to bring it back to the dealership for a warranty repair, but I also do not have faith that they will fix it unless the engine completely dies. As for dealing with Toyota's customer service, it is the absolute worst. I work M-F 8-5:30 and I'm on the east coast. Toyota assigned my case regarding the buzzing sound to a case manager in California who works until 5:30.

I have explained in my approximately 15 calls that this time frame is unacceptable to me and that I need them to assign my case to someone who works later hours, but they refuse and only tell me "it's documented." That seems to be all they do, "document." Basically, if you're looking at the Avalon you probably have expectations on what a $40k flagship model car should be. This is NOT it. You would do much better by shopping and purchasing something else as there are cars costing much less that are much better in terms of both quality and customer care.

Original review: March 25, 2016

$43k new car (we worked out a cash offer, but still could have went $7,000 less without navigation) with 10 miles and with 2 year outdated navigation system. Talk about frustrating trying to get local addresses inputted or through voice. It is so stupid it can't even find the address I'm sitting in front of. Paid cash, so dealer doesn't care about updating it to make us happy. Yet, the Navigation system accounts for $7,000 of the car's price tag. What a Joke Toyota!! So called hot qi-charging system: the pad is too small for ANY Samsung galaxy phone, and won't charge through the thinnest case on my phone yet all my other wireless pads at home work with my phone AND my partner's Otterbox on hers.

Quiet car?? Not! The road noise coming through the rear deck panel makes it hard to enjoy the inside JBL system. Most American made cars have a cover in the trunk that covers and protects the rear speakers from luggage damage AND reduces the road noise the trunk delivers, AND increases the quality of the sound system. Not in the Avalon! No Access to a live power outlet when car is off. Miss that from last car. (Most cars have them to keep the iPads and game systems charged for use.) Can't charge a phone while parked at a business so I can have a charged phone upon return to vehicle. No, I have to go without a phone because the dumb qi-charging system doesn't work and the usb is only rated a 1.0 output, not enough to charge a smartphone.

I miss my Altima that had everything and worked perfectly... Now I'm regretting getting the Avalon because road trips will be a joke. Why have a $7,000 navigation system in a car and have to rely on my phone's google maps for direction??? And not have a decent way to keep the phone charged using the maps for hours; the phone gets hot, the battery charging shuts down and I get to destination and have to beg for power from the business I enter... So this is my review for the new car we bought 10 days ago. And it has created more hassles than relieved. Oh, the dang cup holders only hold a 12 ounce can. No more taking my cup of coffee with me on the road. No more 24 oz soda bottle that I have used for years... And can't get over 14.7 mpg with mostly highway travel, so far...

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

Purchased a 2014 Avalon program car. I had have numerous issue with creaking noise coming from what sounds like behind the rear seats. Dealer said it was the sunroof liner. Replaced it twice, car still creaks. Took it back said they put some kind of foam sealant In the back, car still creaks, I don't know what to do. I have had 2 other Avalons never had this type of problem. The noise is driving me crazy. Going to have to take off from work to take it again this week. I am considering calling the attorney general office or local TV station for help.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

I have a 2008 Toyota Avalon limited and it is one of the best cars I have ever used. It has 187,000 miles on it and only thing done to it was new battery and windshield wipers!! And this car has not been treated nice. I have taken it through fields and I drive 8 miles of gravel a day and I go full trouble all the time!! Still like brand new!! Everything works in it!! Even the dynamic cruise that most cars are just getting today!! Have hit a ratcoon going 60 that came up to license plate did nothing. Neighbor did that with ford taurus and did over $4,000 in damage!!!

This is a very tough well built car!! And I would recommend this car any day to anyone!! And for all the other complaints on this site every car might have a problem but you don't know how good you have it, if you have an Avalon because for instance where I live on average there are about 4 issues before 50,000 miles on all GMs and this is not a lie!! My dad's pickup has had 16 things done to it under warranty not even to 80,000 miles and my car has gone through more than that pickup (no joke)!! He is going to tundra! I hope this helps!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

Three times now, our 2000 Toyota Avalon has started by itself while it was locked with no one in the car and no key in the ignition. The flashers come on and all the lights in the inside display flash. When key is inserted in the ignition and turned into the OFF position, the car shuts off. However, when key is removed, restarts. It takes several tries to get the engine to shut off and stay off. Any idea how or why this could be happening?

Original review: July 19, 2015

I wish I could state that the 2013 Toyota Avalon is as solid as my 2005 Lexus RX 330 or the 2007 Mercury Mariner that I bought for my daughter. Alas, the Avalon has a bunch of annoying creaks and rattles - in the steering column and in the retracting rear window sunshade. Also both the fog lights popped in the first six months of ownership (on Bay Area highways), and since they cost around $350 each to replace at the dealership, I decided not to reward them for selling me a product that has cost me more service trips that my last 4 new cars put together. Definitely would not recommend the car. I see they have changed the fog lights substantially in the newer model which may be OK for new owner but old loyal owners who took a risk on the new model are left high and dry. I could be forking out $700 on the fog lights every year.

Toyota Avalon Company Information