Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
2.51/5
Based on 55 reviews that contain star ratings

Toyota Avalon

The Toyota Avalon is a mid-size car. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

71 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 28, 2014

Left for more than 2-3 days, the battery goes dead. I had an exhaustive test done on the two year old battery by the seller who, frankly, would have the bias to sell me a replacement. Instead, he pronounced the battery as good. We checked all switched lights: interior, trunk, glove box, and hood (we placed an iPhone on video in each of these to confirm the lapse were off even when the the compartments were closed). I see this as critical as we live in MN where being stranded in sub-zero temperatures is dangerous. I will be pulling banks of non-essential fuses to further test faulty electronics, focusing on the radio amp under the passenger seat -- as this has been cited by other Avalon owners. BTW, love the car except for this, hence the high rating.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

I bought a new Toyota Avalon XLE in March 2014. In April I had a sudden acceleration problem but managed to stop before hitting anything. On Oct. 20 while parking the car it had another acceleration problem and hit a tree which caused $7,000 worth of damages. Toyota can't explain either incident. Please be very careful if you own this car.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2014

Car is always garaged! Opened front door one morning and smelled a cigarette (?) odor... We don't smoke. A day or 2 later the smell was intolerable!!! I took the car to a local Collision repair where I know the owner and he found that the carpeting in the ENTIRE INSIDE of the vehicle soaking wet. I used my carpet cleaner to extract the water (took 2.5 days) and it got even worse! We were told it was mold. After much to do w/ the local and national Toyota authorities they told us to bring it in for an evaluation. I told them it was too dangerous to drive and inhale the fumes from the mold.

Finally, the MANAGER came to our home and gave the car a good look and said it "isn't a manufacturer's defect" but he would take it back to his dealership for an eval. They told us it could have been a spider's web that covered the AC discharge tube backing up the water into the cabin. The manager even told me that they now have a device they install at the end of the AC discharge tube which contain an insecticide to prevent this for happening.

We take our car into Toyota exclusively for our regular scheduled maintenance where (they obviously are aware of the problem) this should have been inspected and PREVENTED!!!! They refuse to take any responsibility even though they had knowledge of a problem in the past. We are now going to arbitration on this matter. We are long and loyal customers w/ Toyota and Lexus... some sense of loyalty on their part!!!! We are still paying on an auto loan with no car to show for it!!!! Win or no win w/ arbitration or insurance, we still lose the longevity of a car with only 34,000 miles after our purchase of this vehicle when our lease was up. "LETS GO SOMEWHERE" ... Yeah, right Toyota.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

There is a moldy or musty odor in my 2014 Avalon. I brought it to the dealership and they said they know what I was experiencing. They told me there is no fix, and I should adjust the airflow settings to avoid the odor. I had the service department replace the air and cabin filters (at my expense on a vehicle with 2,600 miles). This did not make a bit of difference. I am now having to live with a $40,000 vehicle and a musty odor every time I get in the car. After reading other reviews it seems this not an isolated issue. Why doesn't Toyota have a resolution for this repeated problem?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2014

I have owned two 2004 Toyota Avalon XLSs. The first one was totaled, through no fault of my own, in a head-on collision in 2006 - 10 months after I purchased that vehicle. I replaced that Avalon with my current vehicle, which has only 41,000 miles. The only major repair I have had to make is to have the brakes replaced. There have been several recall issues, which have been repaired by the local dealer, before I was even aware of most of them. However, I'm very concerned now because the latest recall, an issue with electronic signals that interfere with, and is suppose to cause the airbags to deploy is taking a very long time for Toyota to come up with a solution. Lately, my airbag light keeps coming on and off. It's getting scary. Other than that, I'm am 100% satisfied with Toyota service and value. I have never owned a vehicle that has been so reliable and cost-effective with regard to maintenance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Avalon?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2014

I bought a used 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited on 2013. Just recently I had to change ignition coil, and now when the car sits long period of time first when I start the car and put on reverse gear, it's making strange noise (STATIC) kind of noise for 5 seconds and stops. After that no problem until I park the car and let it sit for some time and then again it does the same thing.

Original review: July 31, 2014

2006 Avalon XLE - Ruptured VV-i oil line plus other problems. Had a sudden massive UNKNOWN oil leak. No dash lights ever went on, including low oil, temperature or "check engine" lights. Drove it for 30 or so miles before going into our garage. Noticed oily water stains that the tires made on the garage floor as it was raining that day. Turned off the engine and checked the dipstick and it showed no oil level. Added a quart of oil - same thing. Added 4 more quarts of oil, checking the dip stick each time, and no oil level never showed. Looked underneath the car and there was all of the oil, which came out as fast as it could be poured.

Had the car towed to our only Toyota dealer in town and they said the rubber VV-i oil line on the passenger side had a hole into which you could insert you small finger. Never received any recall notice on this 12 year old problem that Toyota has been having and they said my car's VIN was not subject to recall for this problem. The car currently has just turned 66,000 miles.

The service dept said they heard engine noises after the oil hose was replaced, indicating more engine damage. There was never any engine noise heard in all of the miles the car was driven with the ruptured oil line and little to no oil. The costs will be about $3600 or $5,000 minimally depending on whether one or both camshaft timers are replaced, and there could be further internal engine damages. If Toyota treats me as badly as others on this forum, this will turn into a legalities situation.

The car has had a perfect and timely service record and did all that was required of me. I think Toyota should be held accountable for not doing a recall on ALL of these V-6 engines and minimally retrofitting them with the alleged upgraded rubber VV-i hoses. Better yet, they should have spent a few more bucks on these cars and put in an all metal line on this high pressure system. The additional engine damage I think is clearly Toyota's responsibility as it is a result the ruptured oil line and even more importantly, a result of TOTAL failure of their dashboard warning system.

Original review: July 29, 2014

Bought my Avalon new and now have 191,000 miles. It's been the best car I have ever had. Show me a car that doesn't need repairs over time and I will consider buying one as long as it has features and qualities equal or better than my Avalon. My 2000 Toyota Tundra is good but does't compare. I drove my 1985 Toyota 22R Extra Cab Pickup for 17 years. It's hard for me to go to another car company. I guess I'm just lucky. You have to drive these cars hard to get the best out of them. Don't be timid!

Original review: June 20, 2014

First, there are plenty of recalls. Second, Toyota is costly, yet no customer care nor quality control! Purchased 4 tires from Superior Toyota Erie, PA and all 4 leaked and needed new valve stems in less than a week, as if our time is not important. Finally, another recall and still they haven't fixed or determined what is causing rust to come from all 4 door handles, as if it is unique until you go on line and find out it is in every car with the same door handles that leak rust. They think we ought to pay to have it fixed but it is a day one defect! They lost this customer when I'm ready to start looking to buy another car but not another Toyota Avalon Limited 2005 with 56,000K almost all highway! I'm gonna fight this and now I know I'm not the only guy; maybe see about a class action. I won't see the repair on their dime.

I never realized how cheap Toyota and their dealers are! My wife's Honda Accord has top of the line customer care and they back their product! This is not the first time something like this happened. Pontiac over baked the primer on Pontiac Grand Ams with the Quad4 and didn't want me to tell anyone about the complete paint job to fix the problem, even though the warranty ran out! Today I'm looking at a Lincoln, Hyundai Genesis, and a Mercedes, the new type, and maybe a Honda Accord Sedan. Anybody have any suggestions?

Original review: April 29, 2014

I purchased my 2007 Toyota Avalon in 2010. I expected a few problems but none like what I have experienced. 2 years in, I got brakes replaced. I had my ignition coils replaced twice. I had an extremely bad oil leak. The rear shade was making this terrible noise. I eventually took the fuse out. My a/c shutter are broken. The paint is peeling on my bumper and the interior dash. The passenger side seat belt is broken. The car currently in the shop getting painted. I have spent approx $3000.00... with the warranty (bumper to bumper is not really bumper to bumper). Should have got a Honda.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2014

At approximately 65,000 miles I had to pay over $500 to replace the bulbs in my headlights. At approximately 110,000 miles both bright lights went out at same time. At 125,000 miles one of my low beam light started cutting out one minute after turning on. I brought the car to my local dealer. They told me both HID headlight assemblies need to be replaced at a cost of $2,662.00.

Toyota extended the warranty on the lights to 72,000 miles but my problem occured after the extended warranty expired. Toyota must know they have a defective product because of the extended warranty and because of all the complaints on the internet. I complained to Toyota at 800-431-4331. The useless person I spoke to denied that they are aware of a problem and said if people don't call to complain there is no way for them to know. I asked for a supervisor to call me but that hasn't happened. I also filed a complaint at Nhtsa.gov. If you are having the same problem please file complaints with the toll free number and Nhtsa.gov. My advice - Don't buy Toyota. They don't stand behind their products and charge outrageous prices for parts to replace their defective equipment.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2013

I purchased a 2009 Avalon new. Had severe headlight problems from the beginning. Headlights were too dim for drive at night safely (come to find out I was driving on the fog lights only, the dim headlight would come on and then turn off so just the fog lights were on), and the dealer would not adjust them stating that it was against the law to adjust them more than the manufacturer's settings, and then the headlight started turning off completely when driving (which was more than terrifying), but the indicator light inside the car said they were on. I took the car back to the dealer many times, always got the same answer: "Your car is fine," "That's just the way they operate".

I am 71 years old and I guess they think I'm stupid (not). Finally after many trips and the headlights turning off completely, they tell me the headlights are defective, but I have to pay to have them fixed. $2600.00 for 2 headlights. My dealer received a letter from Toyota stating the headlights were defective a long time ago, but my dealer never informed me and put me off and would tell me the car was fine until the offer to fix them had expired. I'm not going to just let this go without a fight. Toyota knew these 2009 Avalons had defective headlights and did not recall them. I will spread the word that Toyota will not stand behind their cars and if people are smart they will go elsewhere to buy their cars. I am joining with class action suit to make Toyota fix all these defective headlights.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2013

Just bought a used 2009 Toyota Avalon XLS. The engine knocks for the first 10 mins after starting it up. The adjustable steering wheel collapses while driving and I'm worried about the gas pedal sticking. I have a 2000 with 230,000 miles and a 2003 with 175,000 miles both great cars. They have only been in the shop for main. I've had the 2009 for 3 weeks and it has been in the shop once.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2013

I own a 2002 Avalon XLS, great car but in the past year, it has started making a "groaning" noise when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds. It has been looked at by several mechanics and they indicate that the noise is coming from the steering column. One suggestion was to replace the steering column. I am searching for anyone that knows of a similar situation and what can be done to eliminate this annoying noise. A $35K car should not make these types of noises.

Original review: June 23, 2013

I purchased my car in December and paid top dollar, no discount. I expected to get about 40 mpg and only got 30 mpg. They said wait until summer. Now I get about 34 mpg. I filed a complaint with Toyota and they said it was only an EPA estimate. I contacted the EPA person who handles Toyota and he said that EPA gets mpg from Toyota, and he only proves their correctness. Toyota has gone over this car and said there is nothing wrong. I have checked other owners on the internet and they boast of getting 40 mpg or over. I do not think Toyota wants to investigate thoroughly.

Original review: March 18, 2013

My 2008 Toyota Avalon has a problem with its headlights as do many other 2008 Avalons according to the internet. They go on and off randomly. You can bang the fender when they are off and they will come on. I understand that dealers have a memo on this issue, but have not offered to correct it. My car has 68,000 miles on it and is out of warranty, but this appears to be a defective headlight problem. Are you going to repair this for customers?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2012

Our 2007 Toyota Avalon has approximately 18,000 miles and has been driven very infrequently. On Thursday, December 27, 2012, the wash fluid for the wipers was leaking. Your Toyota Service Bulletin was published identifying this defect and corrective action. This is apparently a manufacturing defect and should be part of the warranty. West Herr fixed the problem on Friday, December 28, 2012. The problem was that the hose became disconnected from the pump.

The problem is well defined in Bulletin along with corrective action. Article is entitled "Windshield Washer Fluid Leaking under Front End" dated August 15, 2007 - applicable to Avalon years of production '05-'07. Our car has not been driven in the winter. Our charge for the correction was $48. I would expect Toyota to reimburse us for the repair on the manufacturing defect since it was not a problem of wear and tear or any misuse of the car. West Herr Toyota of Orchard Park invoiced number is ** and their number is 716 548 4141.

Original review: June 28, 2012

I purchased a 2011 Toyota Avalon around March 2011 in Florida. Since returning to Pennsylvania, I have had three (3) instances of mice building nests in the air filtration system. The first two times, I spent $150 to get the matter cleaned up. I should not have to do this again. I contacted Toyota directly (not the dealer) and they said in essence, "We don't care." This is a health problem as well as a great inconvenience. Can you help me?

Original review: June 22, 2012

Toyota Care should be renamed to Toyota Doesn't Care. I just traded my 2005 Avalon in for a 2012 Hyundai Azera and won't be looking back. It's not that the Avalon isn't a good car, but the number of recalls for that model was quite a shock. It's not that the dealerships won't help you or try to make things right, they do. It's not that the sales folks won't give you a great deal, if you work with them they will. But never and I mean never count on Toyota Care to do just that, care. They don't care.

I was told time and time again by the Toyota Dealer Services (more than one) Departments that Toyota Care never makes things right. Folks, if the date is one day past, you are screwed. Pre-existing condition? Nope, they will argue that one away from you quick. What is my beef? Toyota Preowned Warranty (100k miles or 7 years), and Extended Land Car Warranty (100k or 7 years); Pre-existing condition, and no help from Toyota Care. On 6/28/2006, I was happy to purchase a Certified Preowned Toyota Avalon Limited (2005 model). The vehicle was wonderful to drive, extremely comfortable, and the dealership where I purchased the car was great to work with, but unfortunately, they were 30 miles from my home. At the point of purchase, my wife and I chose to also purchase a Land Car Extended Warranty through the dealership. The Land Car Warranty was set to expire on 6/26/2012.

In August of 2011, I was told by the company we used for routine maintenance (Toy Car Care - http://toycarcare.com/), that it appeared we had a leak near the VVT recall area. Since my vehicle had been recalled several times, I took it back to the local Toyota Dealership to have it looked at. I had every recall done at the Go Toyota Dealership, and all my regular maintenance done with Toy Car Care. The folks at Toyota told me they noted oil around the area where the VVT recall had been done, but they said it appeared to be oil from the work done at the time of the recall. They explained they could put dye in the oil (and they did), but when I left, they had left me with the impression that this wasn't a major issue because it was likely that the oil was residue from the earlier work. I did ask about coming back. They said it's probably not necessary. Based on that information, I didn't come back.

In May 2012, I was again told by Toy Car Care that my vehicle had an active leak. Considering that I have very low mileage, in seven years, the vehicle had less than 80,000 miles, I'd only been back for my 2nd or possibly 3rd oil change since my August 2011 visit. I took the vehicle back to the local Toyota Dealership and they told me that they also saw the possible leak, and that they also saw the dye from the earlier application (8 months prior) on the engine, but that they did not know where the leak was coming from, and that they needed me to come back because their pressure washer was in use for some remodeling. I asked about the warranty and was informed that my power train warranty had expired the month prior (on 4/25/12).

Since I'd purchased a Land Car Warranty from another dealer, I called them, was told to bring the vehicle into the shop, and I did so. At the other dealership, they told me that they also saw the leak, but that they'd need to power wash the area, have me drive it some more, and then identify exactly where it was coming from. At this time, they believed (as did I) that the vehicle was under warranty. Upon my return a week later, they noted the leak location. After a deeper look at the warranty, they found that the Land Car Warranty relied upon the Toyota Certified Preowned Warranty (which had expired). They called and pleaded with Toyota Care, and I called and pleaded with Toyota Care to no avail.

The person I spoke with (a manager) was rude, uncaring, and quite frankly, a real treat to deal with. My observation (that I now willing share with everyone) is that the name should be Toyota Doesn't Care. The service manager at the dealership where I bought the car was extremely helpful (as was the technician), but they ultimately referred me back to the local dealership and to the service manager at that location. They had been told by Toyota Care to get the involvement of a principle and a district manager to work with Toyota Care to help me out. The local dealership service manager was very helpful, and engaged his district leadership. He and his district person did their best, but Toyota Care did not care about the situation, and denied to help. Based on this, the local Toyota dealership said they would cover $1,100 of the $2,200 repair.

In my experience, while the Toyota service people did their best, and the dealerships tried hard to fight for me, the Toyota Care corporate don't care attitude has left me, my family, and everyone I speak with about this, with the feeling that Toyota really doesn't care about its customers. I had an extended warranty through Toyota, another through Land Car with the dealership where I bought the Avalon, performed all the regular maintenance, brought the vehicle in for every recall, and still was denied assistance for what both Toyota Dealerships described to me as a pre-existing condition with my vehicle (prior to warranty expiration). In every situation where I engaged a dealership for help, the comment came up that Toyota Care never helped make a situation right in their experience. This is extremely unfortunate, and is something that the general public would like to know. Due to our experience with Toyota Care, we are no longer life-long Toyota customers, and at this point have no plans to purchase a Toyota in the future.

Original review: April 16, 2012

Problems 2009 Toyota Avalon - The positive battery post has a recurring corrosion problem. I first noticed it when the car would delay starting. I took it to the Toyota dealer 3 times. They said that this is normal for all cars. I have had several American made cars and never had this problem. So, I assumed they meant it was a problem with all Toyotas. Next, the engine has a knocking noise when first started and accelerating up the hill where I live. This continues for about 3 miles and sounds like valve lifters are not getting oil. Landers’ Toyota said that this is normal in all Avalons. I would just like new customers to be forewarned.

Original review: April 3, 2012

My 2006 Toyota Avalon suffered a complete loss of engine oil due to a faulty oil line. The engine light never went on and only when the car made terrible noises did I have it towed to the dealer. They fixed it for free because the part had been recalled, but one month later, I have a cam shaft failure. Toyota is trying to tell me that it has nothing to do with the complete loss of oil, although from my own research, I see that this is not the case. Therefore the repair is "on me." Corporate tells me that it is up to the dealer and the dealer tells me it is up to corporate. I believe that if a car company makes a faulty part that results in further damage to the engine, it should be held at least partially responsible. We are talking about repairs well into the thousands of dollars.

Original review: March 12, 2012

I was parking my car into my garage, when all of a sudden; the engine revved forward, causing me to crash into a freezer. I braked, and shoved the gear into park. I wanted to reverse an inch back. When I shifted to reverse, the car jetted out of the garage, with my foot still on the brake. I quickly shifted to park again, but not after totaling out two garage doors behind me. I had the car towed to Toyota. Upon inspection, nothing was deemed wrong with the car, although $1,200 later, I was given a perfectly safe car to drive back. It ran fine one day, then upon turning the car the next day, the RPMs revved up to 6, and the same thing was going to happen. This could have been another horrible accident, if it had happened on the road.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2012

Bright headlights burn out at the same time several months ago. They said they have ordered the headlights but that they are on backorder. My wife has to drive this vehicle at night with no bright lights. We had a friend with same problem and they had ordered a second set for his car and they told us that they could not put them on our vehicle because of warranty. This is a problem with 2009 Avalon.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2012

I purchased a Toyota Avalon in 2006 after owning a Lexus for 13 years. This has been a good car for the most part. Unfortunately, I recently had to replace the air condenser. The repair shop told me they do not normally see this problem in newer vehicles. I am considering purchasing another Toyota. Considering this early repair, would you offer some remuneration on the purchase towards a new Toyota?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2011

I purchased my 2006 Avalon 10 months ago from Melody Toyota. I've had to bring in my vehicle for 2 engine rebuilds due to black smoke spewing from the tail pipe while on the freeway. On July 7, 2011, I noticed my engine was ticking/knocking and I wasn't due for an oil change for another 3,000 miles. I brought my car to the closest Toyota, City Toyota in Daly City. They noticed the knocking and contacted my extended warranty and gave me a rental Prius. Upon the advise of my service advisor, who recently resigned, I called up Toyota Customer Service 800-331-4331 and opened up a ticket #**. My case manager who was assigned was Debra ** ext **.

I've been calling weekly to find out about my repair, to find out there was haggling about who would pay for the repairs. Today, after 5 weeks of waiting, Debra ** said that her Director, Duffy **, refused to authorize repair of my vehicle at City Toyota and that my vehicle would be towed to Melody Toyota for repair. I requested to have his phone number and address, and was told it was private. I asked why this had not been escalated to his boss. She said that was not their practice. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that it was not possible. I contacted Melody and spoke to a service person who I've dealt with in the past. I feel that since this is the 3rd time I will need an engine rebuild, I should receive a new engine or the dealer should offer me a trade comparable to my 2006 Avalon.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2010

My 2001 Toyota Avalon has 85,00 miles. Something inside the drivers side door handle must have snapped off or broken because the front door can now only be opened by using the outside latch. That is a safety issue because someone could get trapped in their car. Toyota says that door handles are just an "expected wear and tear" item and that I should be delighted that my door handle mechanism lasted so many years because they expect most to break earlier. The repair would cost 140 for parts and 198 for labor. Although it is an "expected wear and tear" item there are no references to that in any manual and there is no easy access to repair.

Unfortunately, here is another Toyota safety issue. Consumers need to be aware that they may be trapped in their cars and unable escape in an emergency. Toyota knows about this but does not consider it their responsibility. Consumers need to be aware of this potential safety hazard before they get stuck in an emergency or stuck with expensive repairs. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2010

My mother was driving her 2003 Avalon home on September 2, 2007 and her car suddenly drifted off to the right and over an embankment and hit a tree. She was killed within seconds. Her autopsy results indicated she had died of chest trauma and no apparent other reasons such as heart attack or stroke. My concern is that there was problem in the steering mechanism of the vehicle, which impaired her ability to drive the vehicle. Her vehicle would be on the recall list but was totaled in the accident.

Original review: July 14, 2010

New Avalon 11/10/01. Discovered sludge problem 5/28/10. Pederson Toyota confirmed 7/12/10. Current mileage 42,993. Said no help was available. Car is not drivable and has not been since 5/28/10.

Original review: July 5, 2010

My daughters Toyota Avalon xsl 1997 makes a loud moaning noise when she first moves the car. She was told by a salesman that all of these cars make this noise. I think they are wrong. Has anyone else complained about this strange moaning noise?

Original review: April 14, 2010

I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS. My wife was driving the car and the oil line blew. After the car was towed in to Pauly Toyota in Crystal Lake, they told us there was a faulty oil line on the car which I had never gotten notice from Toyota for any faulty oil lines. The oil line blowing resulted in an engine replacement. Toyota had the car for probably a week or more. As soon as I got it back, the car was not driving right, accelerating too slowly or too fast, sputtering making noises.

I took it back and a tech drove with me and tried to play it off like it was nothing. We drove around for quite some time before he finally noticed. it. They took the car back for a couple of days to fix it and gave it back to me. I still had issues with the car not driving right, so it went back in a third time. Even now I have problems with hesitation, or the car shifting gears so late that it is redlining. If the car is cold, the engine revs at about 1500 RPMs. The car has 58,000 miles on it. It also had the two gas pedal recalls. I submitted a BBB claim which caused Toyota to pull the records which resulted in a denial of any sort of help on my car and they pointed me in the direction of the NCDS which I am currently doing. I definitely do not feel safe driving the car with all its issues and I don't feel safe with my kids being in it. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Toyota Avalon Company Information