Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.86/5

Toyota Avalon

The Toyota Avalon is a mid-size car. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

71 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Riding in the rear right hand seat of my girlfriend's parents 2017 Toyota Avalon we rounded a sharp corner. I grabbed the grab handle and it dislodged, hitting me In the face, scratching my glasses and leaving me with a black eye. The handle was attached with cheap clips rather than bolts like most cars.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased my 2015 Toyota Avalon new in 2015. I am more than happy with the car. It came with Toyota Cares free maintenance for two years and the dealership I purchased from extended this free maintenance for four years. My car has yet to have any issues. It now has 27,000 miles on it. I know friends who purchased new cars at the same time and their cars have been in the garage several times for issues. The Avalon is comfortable, roomy, powerful, and has a super large trunk. I have driven the Toyota Camry before this model but I will be buying the Avalon in the future. I love this car!

Original review: May 1, 2017

My wife drives this car 90% of the time without a passenger. She puts her purse on the passenger seat and the seat moves so much the contents of her purse rattle and when you encounter rough roads the seat back rattles at the base. I rode in 4 different Avalon's and the all have this condition, maybe not as bad as my wife's but it is there. I you go to but one of these cars, make sure no one is in the passenger seat and watch how much the seat back moves. It will move over an inch from side to side. The long term effects of this are unknown. The dealer and regional tech line informed me "this in inherent to the Avalon" and do not have any repair actions to remedy this condition. Buyer Beware. I am looking for a replacement for our top of the line 2016 Avalon Limited.

Original review: March 19, 2017

Paint started peeling just under 5 years old. Started on edge around the gas cap door. Next began a bubble between the windshield and the sunroof (now 10" diameter of peeled paint). There is a 4" long section of peeled paint by rear window on driver's side. Peeling is on both edges off roof panel and edges on each side of the body by the trunk lid. There is even peeling on the underside of the hood closest to the windshield of the car. This is clearly failed adhesion of paint to primer as described by two professional automotive painters that have looked at this first hand as well. Love the car, hate the paint that I paid extra for the White Diamond color. Poor rating reflects my opinion of the paint job only.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I had a 2002 Toyota Camry. That was the best riding car. I could ride through rain, sleet, and snow with it. Since my experience was good I wanted to stick with Toyota something that I was familiar with but wanted to buy a new car and upgrade. I upgraded to the Avalon. Worse mistake in the world. 2014 Avalon is the worse driving car, the radio and the sound system sucks. I will be getting rid of this car in a few months. Very disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Avalon?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

I purchased new a 2013 Toyota. Have had difficulty removing bugs from front of car. Paint chips very easy. After less than 3 years and 36,00 miles, the bug mark penetrate the paint making it impossible to clean them off. I have a Ford F150 and a Cadillac SRX from which the bugs are very easily removed. Auto body repair rep said the fault is the quality of Toyota paint.

Original review: June 17, 2016

Purchased 3 weeks ago and not happy at all. I accept responsibility for buying this vehicle and getting caught up in the excitement of purchasing my very first brand new car at the age of 51. I expected luxury, which is what I specifically asked for when arriving at the dealership. The ride is rough. Can hear the road. The stereo system is generic at best and has to be turned all the way up to hear it over the road noise. Forget about using the stereo if the sunroof is open. The brakes are rough. I can feel them grind. I assumed I would be able to talk and text and not just use a preset quick response message.

My mistake again. I really thought this vehicle was supposed to be top of the line. The ride is stiff, but I can live with it. On the plus side, I do like blind spot option. Navigation is fine. Most of the time it's easier to just type on the screen vs repeating myself 5 times to the voice option, that ultimately won't understand me. A/C works well. Love the keyless entry and push button start. A bit disappointed that this vehicle has less options than other lower end brands on the market.

Original review: June 3, 2016

2008 Toyota Avalon - Pushing the start button while foot is on the brake doesn't always start the car, sometimes it can take 10 to 15 tries before starting. The dealer (where I purchased is and who has been the only one to service it) kept it for 24 hours and could only replicate the problem once. They said they ran full diagnostics and found nothing wrong. Well, this happens almost every day, every time I try to start it. I'm taking it back to the dealer again, and suggesting they check the brake to starter relay and the push button itself. I'm hesitant to go out of town being fearful it won't start at all. The car only has 38,000 miles on it and, until now has been great.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I've owned my Avalon Hybrid 2 years. I only have 17,000 miles, which is comprised of 12,000 on the all season radials and 5000 miles on the snow tires I bought separately. Both sets of front tires experienced premature wear to the entire tread surface, given the light mileage. It's not an alignment issue because the wear is uniform. Waiting to find out what would cause the same problem to 2 sets of tires. Wind noise with the driver's side window is awful unless I open another window.

Original review: March 25, 2016

I did a few reviews of the Avalon before purchasing and should've dug a little deeper. I bought into the hype that Toyotas are great in quality and wrongly assumed that their flagship would be top of the line. If I can steer even one person clear of my mistake then this review will be worth it, though having said that maybe I should at least wait until I can sell the car. First off, I own a 2015 Avalon Limited. I've had it less than 9 months and I am ready to get out of it ASAP. On first glance, the car looks nice, the professional reviews of it are glowing, and it has an upscale-looking interior. The engine is smooth and powerful. However, that's where the fun ends.

Shortly after purchase I noticed that if the radio is barely turned up I get an annoying buzz coming from the door panels. Three shop visits and two dealerships later, Toyota corporate's response is that "this is within normal spec" and their advice to me is to listen at lower levels and turn the bass all the way down. That is NOT an acceptable answer to me. Second, as other people have complained about on here, there are too many squeaks and rattles. I haven't even bothered complaining to the dealership about this issue, but as pointed out by others this is not acceptable in a car with an MSRP exceeding $40,000. The ride isn't too bad. A little stiff, but not too bad. However, the seats are very uncomfortable on long trips. I've driven budget rental cars that are less brutal to the back than this thing.

The latest development is a near stall right after the engine starts. It turns over fine, runs for a second, and then stutters and hesitates before recovering. I have not yet had time to bring it back to the dealership for a warranty repair, but I also do not have faith that they will fix it unless the engine completely dies. As for dealing with Toyota's customer service, it is the absolute worst. I work M-F 8-5:30 and I'm on the east coast. Toyota assigned my case regarding the buzzing sound to a case manager in California who works until 5:30.

I have explained in my approximately 15 calls that this time frame is unacceptable to me and that I need them to assign my case to someone who works later hours, but they refuse and only tell me "it's documented." That seems to be all they do, "document." Basically, if you're looking at the Avalon you probably have expectations on what a $40k flagship model car should be. This is NOT it. You would do much better by shopping and purchasing something else as there are cars costing much less that are much better in terms of both quality and customer care.

Toyota Avalon Company Information