1.59/5
Based on 174 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Toyota Camry

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 22, 2017

240 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I purchased my Camry used in 2013. 12,500$. Beautiful car, rode smooth. Since then, the sun has damaged my dash and door panels. There is a recall on dash due to product material being defective. It's as if it's melting. You cannot touch it without your hands sticking to it. If you accidentally hit it with your fingernail. It takes a chunk from the dash. The door panels are caving in due to heat. Any pressure whatsoever causes them to collapse. Also I went down a steep incline and the traction control, engine light and abs lights came on. I had the car checked and it will cost 250.00 to have it fixed. The censor is behind gas tank. Another flaw in product.

My overall opinion is they're beautiful and smooth until they're ten years old and then you have multiple things recalled or needing fixed. I have faithfully maintenance this car. Took well care of it. Pls check online for recalls and respond immediately. I did not receive a notice. When someone told me about the recall I called Gambrel Toyota of Corbin, KY and I am out of luck. Recall has expired. I will never buy another Toyota. Overall junk.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My Camry is 20 years old and with 90000 miles. No rust, dealer serviced. The main cost of this vehicle has been tires. It survived a ten mph front end collision, on ice, into another car, the other car had an expensive bumper repair, our repair was about twenty dollars. The air bag did not fire and thus saved much expense. It is designed to do this. ABS is excellent, brakes and power train fine. One leak in the vac system, repaired for 200 bucks. Muffler shield replaced (rust). Paint looks new. Getting bumpy, since the car is loosened by age.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

When the engine gets warm and start driving in low speed from 10-20 mile l hear rattle noise that for my new 2017 Camry. I went to the dealer two time and every time I have told nothing wrong with the car and they refuse to do anything. And the noise still there and car brand new. I submitted complain to Toyota Corp. also they did nothing.

Original review: July 24, 2017

My 2003 Camry drove great until one day it did not! It had 135,000 miles on it. One morning, I noticed a trickle of water coming out from under the engine. I had it towed to my mechanic. It was diagnosed with a blown head gasket cause by stripped engine bolts that caused the coolant to leak out after the engine cooled. Also at that point it began to have an over heating problem. Too expensive to fix the Engine and it had to be replaced with a remanufactured engine. Total cost, I paid over all subsequent repairs was $6,690.00!!

And I only got 2,000 miles out of the REmanufactured engine and it too blew a head gasket. It turned out to be a used engine with the same problem as my old one!!?? (Bought that engine from "Engine world" in Houston Texas) I think Toyota should step up and pay compensation to all the thousands of Toyota owners that have had problems with this unusual engine flaw. Mine lived longer than other Camry's I have seen on other website with a similar problem, but still 135k is unusually short engine life that the manufacturer should be responsible for fixing.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry. Last year I went to Toyota because my car was consuming a lot of oil, my mechanic told me that he heard there was a recall on this vehicles because of this same issue. I went to Toyota to inquire about it and I was told there was no recall on my vehicle engine, but there was one on my vehicle dash and it was changed. Last week I notice my car pistons were making a weird noise, I stop and check the oil levels and found out there was missing oil but there was no leak. I put some oil and went to Toyota and I was told my car warranty expired last year and I was 3,000 miles over the limit as per their warranty. I was told to call next day to speak with a manager since I was there last year and nobody checked my car oil about this issue to see if a test was allowed.

Yesterday I was on my way to work 2 am and my car suddenly stopped. I thank God there was no cars at that time otherwise who knows what would happen to me. I towed my car to the nearest mechanic shop and they told me the engine locked and have to be replaced. I already missed 2 day in my new job to wait my time going to the Toyota trying to get them fix my car engine. And their answer was NO. They fail to check on my car when it was there getting the dash fix and they fail to explain or communicate with a customer about the manufacturer issue with the 2007 Camry engine pistons. I requested Toyota to do an inspection on my car on 06/12/17 and on 06/19/17 my car engine broke down, this could be avoided.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have been a Toyota owner for decades. My current car, an '07 Camry Solara convertible, I noticed last year that the dashboard was sticky. I figured maybe something got spilled on it. I tried but it would not clean off. A couple of weeks ago my son in law tells me that they had gotten a letter from Toyota regarding the dashboards and were replacing them because they were melting. I realized that this is what was happening to mine. I called the local dealer, Sun Toyota, yesterday, June 1, 2017. They look up my VIN and say yes, it qualified for the fix but it expired May 31, 2017, Sorry! I called the Toyota regional division. Same story, Sorry! They say they mailed out notices. Well, I never got a notice or I would have had it fixed. So it's 1 day out of the fix it free period, which I was never notified about, and they refuse to fix it, even though they realized it was a problem with their product. Not what I call good customer service.

Original review: May 18, 2017

This is the worst car and dealership I've ever had and experienced. I have had the car for nine months with 9,500 miles on it. There have been consistent electrical issues with the car such as the gas mileage dropping. When I first got it, I was averaging 380-390 miles per tank. I took it to the dealership and they could find "nothing wrong" with it. Recently it dropped to around 330 per tank and was driving approximately the same every week. When I brought it back in (mind you, I live 80 miles away round trip) they decided to reset the computer and it seems to be working. However it's only been a week.

Now the check electrical component sign is showing up when I only turn on the car and not start it. Plus, when my phone connects to the radio, every time it starts on repeat. For a car having this many electrical issues, that is only 9 months old and with under 10,000 miles is totally and completely unacceptable. I've contacted an attorney and have a case for lemon law. I plan on asking for a full refund and am going to buy a Honda.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I have a 2007 Camry with 125,000 miles. It is impeccably cared for. Has new front and back brakes, new rotors, new battery and new tires. The problem is that the ABS brake actuator has gone bad and has to be replaced at a cost of $2500!!! When driving at modest speeds on normal roads, the brake and ABS lights come on and the speedometer drops to 0 even though I am driving. The dashboard acts crazy. I am NOT using any brakes at the time, and I have never needed to use the ABS brakes. I don't know what is going on!!! This happens off and on, for no apparent reason. I have read the same complaints by many other Camry owners on NHTSA. There is a 180 page pdf on safetyinstitute.org that listed Toyota Camry vehicle problems, many about the ABS brake actuator or ABS module problems. This is a strong safety issue, and from reading other reports, it is not safe to drive my car.

The repair cost of $2500 is crazy and unaffordable!!! I contacted Toyota Headquarters in California but they were not helpful and won't acknowledge the problem. I have driven Toyota cars for 40 years and NEVER had this problem before. Toyota should make this a recall item and replace the ABS actuator at no cost. They have already done this for Camry Hybrids. My 1993 Camry lasted 14 years and to 200,000 miles. This current car is a piece of crap. I will never buy a Camry again; instead my next car will be a Honda. Many problems with Toyota are showing up in the news. Consumer Reports did an article in 2014, the New York Times did an article in 2010, Fortune did an article also in 2010. Be forewarned: Camrys made in the last 10 years ARE NO LONGER quality cars. They have too many problems and repairs are too expensive.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I have a 2016 fairly new Toyota Camry with only 16,000 miles with the best warranty I could get when I bought it. This car drives horribly. It trembles when stopped and in drive. The transmission hesitates and seems to lose power when accelerating. The dealer keeps saying they cannot replicate the problem, which I believe is code for "we can't figure out what the problem is". This car has been driven gently and is well maintained. How in the world does a car supposedly covered by a warranty start giving these types of problems and Toyota is not taking responsibility? I was told by everyone to buy a Toyota because they are great cars! This is the worst car I have ever owned and it has been less than a year. I am stuck with a car that drives horribly now and will be paying for it for years to come. Thanks Toyota!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

My son was recently left in the middle of the road with our 2009 Camry 5 seconds after the oil light came on. (Excessive Oil Consumption issue known by Toyota - August 11, 2011, Toyota issued a technical service bulletin TSB to dealers.) We were not aware of this problem or we would have advised him to check the oil every gas fill up to prevent problems. The car is a complete loss, but what concerns me most is that he was on a country highway with miles of open space between towns. Luckily he was just entering Bedford VA and made it to the entrance of a shopping center before the car died. Since he was blocking the shopping center entrance 'some random guy' helped him push the car into a parking area. Had this happened between towns and his car been stuck on the highway this could have been extremely dangerous, especially if it had been after dark.

Both the shop we towed the car to and the company that last changed the oil investigated why the oil ran dry after only 1500 miles. Their conclusions matched in that there were no signs of faulty maintenance from the oil change nor any signs of obvious leaks. To leave people in dangerous situations because a company does not want to accept responsibility for faulty or defective equipment nor do they want to notify owners that this could be a serious issue is beyond contempt. We would like to join any class action lawsuit due to Toyota's negligence in not informing the car owners of this serious problem. In the meantime we need to determine what to do with the 'dead' car as we don't want to dump it if something else is needed to join a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I believe it and have driven it for 15 years. For 13 years I had the auto serviced at the dealer's. I worked with same female in service all that time. Will not deal with a male at a dealer's because the treatment is different. Dealer reorganized and forced me to deal with whoever and because I lost my comfort with now having no choice, the dealer lost a customer. The car only has 61,000 miles, a sole owner and I have no problems. Could not have made a better decision re a purchase 15 years ago. That's really how I feel.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Best car I have driven. I drive a 2002 Camry. It is dependable, smooth ride and I would compare it to the S80 Volvo. As long as it is serviced and taken care of you can get lots of miles. Mine had 230,000 and still rides and drives like a new one.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

Bought 2014 Toyota Camry SE brand new. At about 8,000 miles AC began to smell like mold and mildew. Dealership suggested charcoal air filter to fix issue. I got it and it worked for about 1,000 miles and smell was back. Car still smells like that today as there is really no fix. Next issue, at about 50,000 miles I would hear a thud sound when I would turn the steering wheel and accelerate. I dismissed the sound because it didn't do it often until the car reached 60,000 miles. The sound became more pronounced so I took to dealership and was told that the driver side axle/CV boot had a crack in it and needed to be replaced.

Next issue, 66,000 miles or so, torque converter had to be replaced. The car would shudder when I would accelerate between 35-45 miles per hour. Had actually been doing this starting at about 50,000 miles though. Next issue, a week after dealership replaces the torque converter, the driver side strut is gone. Really, what next Toyota? I'm beyond frustrated with the lack of quality and design of this vehicle. I have never been in a wreck, I keep up on all the required maintenance, and take care of my car. These issues are clearly flaws of the manufacturer.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

The front bumper on our 2014 Toyota Camry came loose on one side before we had had it a year. I returned to the dealer service department, and the technician told me to go to a body shop. It was not their problem. When I went to the body shop, they attached the bumper with two bolts inside the wheel well, as the clips were broken. A few months later, the whole bumper had to be replaced at my expense when the bumper came off. The Toyota dealer did nothing for us. There is no order number as they did not help us. The basic problem is with the design of the car: the front bumper is too low.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

I was told about the excessive oil consumption test while my car was at the dealership for something else. I allowed the dealership to do the oil consumption test and was told "you have it back within 1100 to 1300 miles." I was not told by the dealership that the car had to be returned for the test by October 31st. My car reached 1100 miles on October 31st. I took the car to the dealership on October 31st, no one was there. They were gone for the evening.

The next morning I was contacted by the dealership and told that my car had failed the oil consumption test but I was also made aware that I was a day late. The dealership told me that they were unaware that there was a cutoff date. They also informed me in order to get my warranty covered on my car I would have to call Toyota directly and ask for them to cover it. When I called Toyota they they told me that they would not honor the warranty for the car. Therefore I feel like I have been punished because I wasn't given the correct information about when the car was due back at the dealership for the testing to be finished. Toyota knows this is a problem with this model of Camry. It should be willing to fix it no matter the time frame. I have always been a Toyota customer but because of this situation I will never buy another Toyota.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

Rear clunking noise. Was told metal rusted to point of failure of rear stabilizer. This is a 2007 hybrid with 73 thousand miles. I was told by the headquarters that it is not their problem. It will cost thousands to fix. All we have are toyotas. It will be the last one. We spent a lot for this car.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I just bought Camry 2014 (51000 kms) but when speed increases over 40 kms, there is wind noise from driver window side. Immediately took it to the Perth direct car dealer. They confirmed it but asked to book an appointment with Toyota. So did it for the coming week. Everything is great except this issue (unfortunately saw some complaints about it here) although I haven't checked the AC as there are some complaints about it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

Camry 2008 Sun Visor. VERY SHODDY WORK! This is what happened to my Driver Side SUN VISOR. A product with MINIMAL use, the plastic completely FOLDED and crumpled. Tried contacting Toyota and dealers, they all said "buzz off, warranty has expired".

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

My neighbor is getting ready to sell his car. He is leaking black fluid. He just added oil, the new synthetic stuff that this car requires. Corn oil fuel that's good enough to cook with, right guys. The fluid is black right after an oil change when the car has been parked all day? This car has some serious issues that Toyota isn't talking about, or the fluid is transmission fluid which requires an expensive complicated fluid pressure test done by very expensive complicated equipment, which can be done simply by reading the oil pressure gauge and the engine temperature gauge and comparing these two numbers with the acceptable pressure and temperature listed in the specs to get the amount of special transaxle "corn syrup" ATF fluid for this car.

You can tell if the fuel level is off by the loud clanging noises that the car is making. Your videos indicate that you can fix the transaxle fluid level by adding two parts, a 1 1/2" plastic tube and a rubber gasket to seal it in place, in the Fill Opening behind the front driver side tire which you have to remove. You can remove the cap with a 6mm hex tool as well as install the plastic tube. You can check the level if the fluid is not black, but just a little dirty, but why would you want to? This car is fighting itself!

There is a problem which is indicated by the warning light which comes on when the engine overheats indicating an oil level problem. Your car burns too much oil, that is your problem, and why so many users are forced to pay your outlandish fee for draining transmission fluid which also serves as gas. The gas level is too low, your car burns gas due to oxidation problems in the engine, and your transaxle transmission fluid level is too high at the same time due to the constant, expensive, unneeded transmission fluid changes which destroy the gears while causing the temperature that the engine runs at to read higher than it is, increasing the fuel pressure causing the engine to overheat resulting in more fuel loss. It's catch-22 on steroids!

Original review: June 27, 2016

2014 camry locking lug nuts showing rust at 12000 miles. Wiper blades replaced twice in 12000 miles. Now driver door has a wear mark at 18000 miles. Toyota was about quality. Now its about cost cutting and saying that's not covered. What happened to the quality and customer service. Last Toyota for me.

Original review: June 21, 2016

I went to Lipton Toyota after I was told when I bought my new car that I would be placed on the waiting list to replace the dashboard on my 2004 Solara. I was told a year ago this month that I was number nine on the list. After NUMEROUS emails and phone calls and visits to other Toyota dealership, email to headquarters, I am yet to get any satisfaction. I would never have bought the new car I'd known that they wouldn't keep their word. My husband gets sick driving this Solara and the dashboard and steering wheel is sticky and smell like formaldehyde. I guess they think I will give up but I want what was promised. This is the last straw and I will never buy another Toyota. I will go back to my German brand.

Original review: May 24, 2016

The windows of our 2006 Toyota Camry (except the driver side window) cannot be closed. Opening them is not a problem but closing takes forever and requires manual/physical help from the passengers. We've had it fixed several times already but the same problem comes back after some time so we just left it like that and lived with it. After a little research, it appears that this is a common problem for this model. A manufacturer's defect maybe? Hope we can find a permanent solution to this because we love all other aspects of the car - it gives a very comfortable and quiet ride, has a super spacious interior, and you barely feel the humps or bumps on the road.

Original review: May 7, 2016

I was so happy to bought brand new Toyota Camry 2016, on 2016 January, but the happiness didn't last 2 month because I got check engine sign on brand new car. We took to dealer. They said it has rodent damaged, wires chew by mice, and don't cover by Toyotacare, and I paid 200$. After one week I got same problem, and they charged us 500$ so if it can't protect from rodent, and they don't care for repair, how can you effort that expense? I made huge mistake on trusting Toyota. I have couple of other car but mice love Toyota Camry only? Why? I think they should cover it under their Toyotacare or we should stop buying Toyota? You should remove slogan – peace of mind.

Original review: May 6, 2016

I am having an issue with Toyota Canada. This all started about 2 years back when my car, 2007 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L, started burning oil. After repeated tests to the dealerships I was told oil burning was normal. As time progressed the car started burning more and more oil per 1000km of travel. After repeated tries to convince the dealer and the head office there was an issue with my car burning oil, I was told it was caused by lack of maintenance and there was no design fault of the car. Even after producing proof that I had changed my oil on a regular basis with the proper grade of oil and filter.

Then in April of 2015 I got a letter from Toyota titled Warranty Enhancement Program, and this was brought out to correct the engine oil consumption issue on certain engines, which mine conforms to. The guideline of how this is tested was clear, take the car to the dealer, have them change the oil. At which point they will seal the dipstick, filter and drain plug. I am to drive the car around normal for 2000km and return to the dealer to check oil levels. After performing this test on my car, it was indeed found to be using more oil than normal. This test was performed in June of 2015.

After it was determine the car failed the test, I was booked for a engine rebuild for the following week. A few days before the repairs, I was told to submit receipts of oil changes and they would submit them to Toyota for approval. So the first appointment was cancelled. And because I do my own oil changes it took quite a few back and forths with the head office and the manager at the dealership to finally have them approve the repairs.

Since then I have had multiple appointments made then cancelled due to lack of parts. I find it extremely unbelievable that it could take more than a year to gather so-called parts to correct an issue with the engines. I am now stuck between purchasing oil almost on a weekly basis and not driving my car, which I need daily. Toyota is not offering any assistance other than reassuring me that the problem will be fixed. I am not sure how I can get this completed and there are quite a few others in Canada that are facing the same runaround from Toyota. I expected a much higher level of service from this company, and I am quite disappointed and potentially stuck with a car that is burning a hole in my wallet and one that can't even sell because of this issue. Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

I received a letter stating that there was a recall on my car for replacement of the dashboard. I visited a local dealership to make arrangements and was told that I should call every two weeks to check to see if the dashboard arrived. This I was told is necessary because sometimes a dashboard will come in and it is used for another vehicle even though I went in and filed a claim. I have called and visited the dealership several times and they still don't have the dashboard replacement. I was told by one person that it could take up to two years to have the dashboard replaced. Since this is a company recall and I have done my part in filing a report, I strongly believe that I should be contacted when the replacement dashboard arrives. I have left several messages to no avail.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

2000 Camry - My wife was involved in a car accident Thursday Jan 28th. A lady slammed on her brakes in front of her while driving down the highway. She struck the back of her truck so hard she went under it around 45 to 50 mph. The AIRBAGS never deployed! I got the car home to look it over. The passenger airbag sensor was struck so hard it broke off! Front end damage is horrible she smacked her head on the steering wheel but is ok, thank God! I loved my Camry. It was very dependable and only 150k miles on it. Now I can't trust that my family will be safe in a Toyota ever again!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

My car TOYOTA CAMRY SE 2013 chassis no **. Last month I had an accident because of ABS failure. I was driving on the service road with speed of only 50 Km/H suddenly car stopped in front of me. I was about at a distance of 90 - 100m away from that car. I applied brakes but the car didn't stop. I heard a sound of Krrr by applying the brakes and it hits the front car. The car brake pads are in excellent condition because they were changed few months back from Toyota service centre Abu Dhabi. I want to know the reason of this accident. Please reply me as soon as possible.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

I purchased my 2007 camry new and it has been well maintained. However in the last 10,000 miles it has been using oil excessively! I have owned previous camry's and never believed I would have a problem! This is a major problem at 120,000 miles. I will not be buying another camry!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

Bought a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with 10,000 miles. Now it is 2015 with 339,000 miles on it and it is still running. I haven't put much into my all I did was an oil change every 6 to 8 weeks tire rotation and front alignment, also new tires once a year. I did keep maintenance on what ever needed to be done and I have to admit, I never had to replace the battery or any major repairs. It is still running and wanted to know if there is any Toyota dealer would like to buy this car back and display it to show how great Toyota cars are put together.

I'm getting ready to purchase a used 2012 Camry Hybrid in a few days. Only because the engine light is on to replace the battery for the last 6 or 7 months or I would still be driving it because everyone thinks my car looks brand new. My work is driving about 35,000 miles a year and sometime it's a two to three hour drive. I don't want to get stranded to far away or I would drive this car until it quit. So if anyone is interested in my car to display how great this car is and lasted, please contact me through e-mail **.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

Purchased 2007 Toyota Camry in 2010. It continually burned through the oil. Just a couple of months after each oil change it would be nearly empty of oil and I had to constantly add more. Toyota did an oil consumption test and said that it was within normal oil consumption expectations. My check engine light came on and I have a defective engine involving bad piston rings that has destroyed my engine. The cost to repair is over $6,000. Toyota denies responsibility for the defective engine design.

Toyota Camry Company Information