Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.86/5

Toyota Camry

The Toyota Camry started out as a compact car, but more recent models are mdi-size. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

315 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 31, 2019

We purchased the 2018 Camry XSE after test drives of various Toyota cars. We have 3 other Toyota’s from 2011, 2013 & 2017 but wanted a not sophisticated ride to go with our truck Venza and 86. Mileage and ride are better than expected or EPA rated but the care suffers from a couple of flaws. There is a decided lag of acceleration when in ECO mode and in city traffic it lends to some concern.

The other issue is a poorly designed set of covers on the undercarriage. These are plastic, not properly formed to the underbody and lead to the following issues: these panels have gaps at the leading edge that allow infiltration of foreign matter such as dirt, water, snow etc leading to the outside edge sagging and collecting even more grime. The outside 8 to 9 inch edge has no support so buildup is further allowed as a result. There are of course small drainage holes about the splash shield but they only compound the issue allowing water to escape making the mud congeal and harden. Toyota will tell you you have to replace the splash shield(s) at a cost of $265.00 per side, not so however.

Any competent body or repair shop can remove clean and reinstall any panel at a lesser charge with 10mm sockets and body fastener tools. Once clean the panel will be as good as new so long as it hasn’t dragged on the ground and caused voids or other damage. Our passenger side was sagging and had taken on enough grime to cause it to be bent. I reinstalled it after cleaning and used a heat gun to refit it to better conform to the underside of the car. These panels I was told by Toyota service techs were required to protect mechanical parts on the underside of the vehicle.

The only thing I found on the underside were factory installed posts to fasten the panel so I can assume these function as smoothing surfaces to enhance airflow rather than any beneficial protection. As with any auto repair shop get a more informed opinion and do some research before allowing work to be charged that should be warranted repair from poor design problems. This could have been a reoccurring $630.00 repair had it been my wife of another unsuspecting Camry owner.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

My mom has had a Toyota Camry since around 2010. She recently purchased a new, 2018 Camry XSE. I can’t get over how gorgeous this car is! But a recurring issue is the interior. I have always loved leather interior, but something about it gives me headaches! I’ve come to this conclusion because we had cloth upholstery in her previous car, and in my brother’s 2010 Corolla, I have never experienced this problem. Even my friends get headaches from sitting in her car! I had thought the issue would be resolved upon purchasing the new car, but it wasn’t. In extended car rides, it is even worse. The longer I stay in the car, the worse it gets.

Everything else about the cars (both the new one and the old one) is amazing! But this is something that has puzzled me as to why the leather would make me and other people so sick. It starts out as just a headache and then progresses to nausea. Other than that, the car is so wonderful. This issue has seriously taken the car from a five star car to a four star car. Her 2018 model car is better than many Mercedes. This can’t be ignored though. I hope there’s an answer as to why this affects me and others so awfully.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

It's been a great experience. It has electric everything and added Bluetooth features. The car runs smoothly and they have great motors. And as long as you keep the oil changed car runs long. These cars are known to be very reliable and I will stick with this brand of cars because they can really save you a lot of money in the long run. I like the makings and hippie. But I would do more to the outside to make it look more sport or maybe more advanced technology. I wish the TPMS light is more descriptive as well as lets you know exactly what is going on with the tires of the vehicle.

Original review: June 20, 2018

It was a quick decision that I had to make at the time and just picked the first cheap buy that I could find on Craig's list. Also Toyotas have great history of great gas mileage. So that played a big part in my search for a car. The 1988 model had a stick shift and it's 5 speed. I like driving stick shifts. The car ran good for how much I paid for it. But the previous owners seemed to dog the engine pretty bad. So I had to have work done to it. Also the color was not that great but considering the year the car was made it I had to take it. Plus the air conditioner system did not work all that well. But all it all it was a very fun car to drive.

Original review: June 18, 2018

It is a very reliable car for its mileage but especially since it's 15 years old. It also drives and handles well and I like how many mpg I get. I like the power steering, locks and power windows and how I can adjust my seat. I also like how it's small but I can fit so much in it. I just used it to move and I was able to fit a lot. It is a good color. The heating and air conditioning work perfectly too. But the car is a little loud while driving. It could use new breaks and new wipers. The stereo system is outdated (2004) and it would be nice to have the version with the sunroof. But overall the car is great and I like it a lot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Camry?

Original review: May 31, 2019

Toyota Camry not keeping oil in the motor. Went online and found out that they had notified people and the treatment expired 2016. I have never received anything about this. Call them and they said that I can’t do nothing they can’t do nothing about it.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Dear Toyota, As a loyal Toyota customer, I just purchased a 2019 Camry (this being my 4th Camry). I found that the seats are designed too low to the ground, making it difficult to get in and out. Further, if you raise the seat, it reduces the clearance of seat to roof, making it harder to squeeze in. Also, most of the "pockets for storage" grossly lacking. Because of this design flaw, or miscalculation, the wife and I will be switching to another reputable brand in a year or two.

Original review: May 14, 2019

We negotiated the purchase of a 2018 Camry LE. We were looking for a stand alone GPS system, back up camera etc. The day of delivery we were shocked to find out the vehicle's GPS system is dependent upon the owner having a smart phone. The GPS system is not a stand alone system. We downloaded the Toyota Entune app and the Scout GPS app but found out right away this system is very unreliable and doesn't work half the time. We protested the same day but found out that Toyota does not have a return policy, so you're stuck with the new ride once you take delivery. We have to throw our old, but very trustworthy Garmin dash mount GPS on the dash when we want dependable navigation. We protested this directly to Toyota, but of course never received a reply. The vehicle itself is excellent, but Toyota definitely needs to ditch the app dependent GPS and go with a stand alone GPS in the future.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I contacted the 800 number for Toyota to open a case concerning the dashboard in my 2009 Toyota Camry which had a recall that EXPIRED in 2018. The dashboard is extremely sticky and I can't even put a sun shield in the windshield. They refused to cover it. If you notice there is a ton of their cars on the road so they must be doing very well.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have a 2018 Toyota Camry SE, a little under 1 year I noticed 3 white spots in the leather. The largest spot on the back of the passenger seat and 2 smaller spots on the bench seat on the opposite side of the vehicle. It looks as if it’s a bad piece of material. I brought it back to the dealership who then inspected the interior and made a claim for me. The man inspecting specifically said it would be a costly fix and most likely denied. I told him I only wipe my seating with water and dry with a cloth. No soaps or chemicals.

A month goes by and I never heard back from the dealership so I called to see if there was an update and was told my claim was denied by the engineer out of Houston and that it appeared I had put chemicals on my interior. All this assumed through photos. I offered for them to test a piece of the fabric for whatever chemical they assumed I used but they denied it being necessary. I now have a case # with the customer hotline and am awaiting on a callback. Very disappointed!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I love my Solara. They do not make it anymore and on my next purchase I will choose a Camry. I get good gas mileage and my car has held up very well. I chose a silver paint and it came with Michelin tires.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We purchased a brand new Camry XSE and 16 days later got left front tire exploded on city road with a small dent on the road at 782 mileage. Toyota said it is not their responsibility since the tire is not manufactured by Toyota. This makes me worried because tire explosion may cause serious safety issue. I am not sure if it is because XSE has a sporty design so that its tire expects a perfect road surface? Should I buy XLE instead of XSE at all, since I am looking for a daily commuting car, not a car that accessional driven on sport tracks.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Toyota has lowered the bar on being accountable to asking for and receiving feedback. While I am generally happy with my Toyota vehicles, they are relentless in pursuit of feedback to use against their dealerships but they really don't care to hear about the points when they fail to meet customer expectations. My 2018 Camry has remote start via Toyota.com. What is presented as amazing technology is really a nightmare. While attempting to start my car remotely, I frequently encounter delays and extra steps to accomplish what a single push of the button on my Viper remote could accomplish. It took 4 minutes today to start my car.

Unable to process my request happens far too often. Attempting to find a way to give them feedback yields few options. If I had a concern about a dealer, they are all over it. Another concern I have with keyless entry is the car remains running when I get out, even when it is drive away. Recently I forgot to hand my key to the valet and he drove off, no problem, but he had to find me to retrieve my key so he could move my car. It's not okay that a car could be stolen and only have the fact that they need to keep it running as a deterrent. The car should not run when the key is not within range. My initial decision to buy a Toyota came years ago after reading The Toyota Way. This company today does not even remotely resemble the company portrayed in that book.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I received a recall (oops extended warranty) notice on my 2009 Camry saying that the dashboard could become sticky and that they were extending the warranty for 10 years past the time the car was placed in service. We had no problem so we put the notice aside and forgot about it. We later had a very sticky dashboard, but had forgotten about the notice. We recently found the notice and called to make an appointment.

It turned out that the vehicle had been placed in service in November of 2018 -- so we missed the deadline by 1 month and 15 days. An appeal to national was totally unsuccessful. So if you want justice -- I guess we got it, but if you want any mercy or any leniency forget it. We also have a Mazda with a similar problem which was quickly fixed at no cost. They made an inferior dashboard and fixed the problem with an extended warranty rather than a recall so they now say they have no legal responsibility to fix it. Moral responsibility???

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I purchased a 2018 Toyota Camry in October 2017. I had heard nothing but good news about Camrys. I wasn't really looking to purchase right then, but was convinced to buy. OK I should have waited but it is what it is. I paid way more for it than I should have with what the dealer carried over from my truck. Live and learn. So the car runs good, gets good gas mileage, but I live in Arizona. That's where the problems come in. As anyone knows it gets hot in Phoenix, and when it gets really hot, above 105 degrees the lane assist light and the frontal crash light comes on on the dash and stays on either until I turn the car off or it cools down. The rear middle seat belt light comes on at any temperature and the "dinger" goes off as if someone is sitting in it, yet no one is.

One day when all the lights came on I zipped over to the nearest Toyota dealership because the one I purchased it from said they couldn't help me unless they (the lights) were on when I got there. So this dealership took my car in and put it on their diagnostic machine and came back and said "There was nothning wrong that they could find, and that it even states in the owner's manual that if temperatures reach a certain degree, that certain accessories may not work". I was floored and said "So you're telling me that this thing has "factory flaws" and I am supposed to just deal with it". For as much as I paid for this, he just shrugged his shoulders like he didn't know what to tell me. Now my radio fizzles in and out occasionally. It fizzles and I lose the radio station and it goes back to the home screen, as soon as I start messing with buttons it comes back. I would sell this tomorrow if I could. Buyers beware.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I just got my I'll back after a suspension, and I needed a reliable car to go to work in. I happened to see a 1995 Toyota Camry for sale. I thought how great people said Toyotas are. Boy, was I ever dumb to listen to that. That car has one problem after another. I replaced tires, all four. Then it needed a front end alignment, sway bar needed to be replaced. That's all understandable that it would need maintenance work. The major problem started with the car sputtering and misfiring. Then I became stranded miles away from home, because it sputtered and misfired and shook, it struggled for power and then just died. I called for roadside assistance and had it towed, finally after being stranded for hours, to the mechanics. Then when they finally told me what was wrong with it, they said it just needs a tune up, that tune up costs me $421. Ok.

When I finally get the thing back, it seemed to be running fine, WRONG! After a few hours of use it started sputtering again and struggling for power. I managed to get it home. The next day I started to drive it, it seemed to drive normal after the overnight rest. Then I was taking it to the mechanics, I went up a hill then it started to sputter again. I arrived at an inspection at a red light, on a highway, then the car died there again. I was very angry. There was all this traffic behind me at the light. After a period of time a couple of guys helped push the piece of junk out of the highway.

Again I called roadside assistance and towed it back to the mechanics. It's still there now waiting to hear what else it could be. I googled the problem and found out 1995 Toyota Camry are known for this problem. Someone online said it turned out to be the water pump. I know next time I buy a car, it's going to be a Honda. When I get my car back, I'm going to be scared to drive it anywhere in fear of it breaking down on me.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

So I buy a 2018 XSE Camry. Worst mistake ever! Worst navigation ever. Then after 6 months, you have to pay for remote start? Even using the key I have to pay for remote start? Oh it gets better... The car cuts off when you get close to the door when you do use the remote start! Then there is app theirselves. THERE IS ALMOST ALWAYS AN ERROR! The lag in the engine, the smell of oil, terrible. The only thing using on the Entune app was Pandora and guess what? It has been removed! I really wish I never purchased this car.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought my Toyota Camry Hybrid from Tony and Jeff at Toyota of Orange dealership in California 9/14/18. My car makes a clunky noise when you pump the brakes in a parking lot or backing up. The sound is like a sticky brake with a clunky echo inside the car. This happens about 20 to 30 times each time I drive the car. My friends complain about the noise also. I received the report from the Toyota Service Advisor and Eric **, Shop Foreman and FTS Toyota engineer and Dave the service manager. They examined my brake noise on Sept 28. I received the report Oct 3.

Their conclusion was the Booster Brake Cylinder is making the noise and it is normal noise. I am glad the investigation has isolated the noise to one piece of equipment. I disagree to their conclusion. The noise is getting worst. The past four week, I have heard this clunk noise over 600 times. I now have to turn up the radio so I do not have to hear this irritating noise. They advertise “NO LEMON” and having a good warranty, but they won't fix my car.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My Bluetooth and sometime my CD will not play. None of the buttons work. I am add, delete or change anything on my dashboard. From the reports and I have checking a lot of people is having the same problem, and they should have call a recall on this item. I purchase at the time that I purchase the car an extend warranty plus I have the manufacture warranty. Now the warranty has expire and I just bought the car in 2015.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I always thought of Toyota Camry as a great reliable car until now. My 2012 has less than 43000 miles on it and the ac just stopped cooling. I went to get my usual oil change and tire rotation and ask if they could check the a.c. for what may just be an easy fix, fuse or relay switch and the answer was, "No but for 170 dollars we can do a full check and that cost would not be applied to the repair." No heart for the fact that I was having this issue with so little miles on it.

I really just wanted another option on it as I had to get a tire fixed fast two days before my oil change appointment and the mechanic there was kind enough not to charge me to check out my ac and told me the compressor is shot. I would have felt more comfortable having the dealership fix the problem but with the way they treated my concerns today no thanks. I'd rather have good old Joe Shmoe help me. Due to this experience Toyota will never have my business again. On average the cost of this repair is 2400.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I had a 2009 Camry and I have a 2012 Camry throughout the years. I have tried to get the map updates at least 4 different times just to find out that Toyota has none!!! I have requested that Toyota allow consumers to go directly to the GPS manufacturer and that has not happened either!!! I recommend NOT purchase GPS on any Toyota!!! A waste of money. Purchase a TomTom with lifetime upgrade!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have a '07 Camry with a very sticky dashboard. It has nothing to do with the vehicle care but manufacturing issue. I called Toyota and they were not willing to resolve the issue. I have always owned Toyota made vehicles and considered it to be a great company. Now, I am learning that the company begins deteriorating. It progressively produces less quality cars and the same way is their customer service. Well done Toyota! Next time I will consider Hyundai. I heard they are less money and more customer oriented company.

Original review: July 12, 2018

At just 92500 miles my Camry lit up like a Christmas Tree while driving on the highway at 70 mph! Warning messages read "CHECKS VSC" and "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" along with traction control light, brake malfunction, check engine light, and other hazard warning lights came on. I noticed my tpms started flashing, pulled over and checked all the tire pressures and they all measured to be correct. I've noticed my brakes have become softer and the accelerator pedal seems unresponsive upon initial take off, which is extremely dangerous at a busy intersection. I noticed the brake issue the following day after my long drive when I bumped my left corner into an object and scraped the bumper! I refuse to let my pregnant wife drive the car or put my little kids in it.

Dealer States car will need a new Hybrid battery which will cost almost $5000! It may also need Brake actuator and whatever else they find wrong at this point. This car was always serviced at a Toyota dealership (Kenny Ross PA) and I'm upset at the fact that TOYOTA isn't willing to help at all, knowing this is a SAFETY related problem they are completely aware of that has occurred on multiple vehicles of this year when they extended the warranty to 10yr/150k miles. I'm unqualified because I've past the time frame??? Why wasn't I informed by Toyota of the extension or the free replacement program?? Toyota has given me a case number but the agent over the phone clearly refused to do anything about it!

Original review: July 4, 2018

Previous car was a Toyota Avalon. I needed a car in a hurry and insisted on a Toyota. The Camry was available. The problem with it is that it makes sense and will last forever. After the Avalon, it is plain vanilla, durable, sensible, nice, dependable, and can find no reason to spend the additional money... but I'd love to have an Avalon. Before it, I had two Mercedes... I'd rather have my Toyota.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I am new owner of 2007 Toyota Solara convertible. I bought car used the end of January. Now in June I have a problem with back window. It has come apart leaking in trunk and back seat. There is no way to replace it because "rain troff " which is made of polyester has torn & cannot be replaced or repaired. So I am left with a headache and no way to turn in order to eliminate problem. Any suggestions? Car lot which sold it to me can do nothing for me, so now I have nowhere to turn. What do I do?!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I almost had an accident because my crappy 2010 Camry sun visor fell in my face while driving. I called Toyota and they said, "We had a recall for this issue but it's only for 7 yrs" and now my car is just over. I took my car every 3 months for oil change and NO ONE from Toyota ever mentioned this to me. Can anyone tell me if Sunvisor is on the maintenance list or service list. This is the worse excuse I ever heard. These big company only get away with any or all crappy excuse and we have to accept it. This is the first and last Toyota I'll ever own. Anyone needs a crappy Camry with a sun visor that is activated 100% of the time.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My Toyota Camry is good on gas, reliable, and comfortable. It is inexpensive and easy to find parts for. I have owned for many years and intend to buy another when it dies. I like the leather seats, sunroof cruise control, rear wheel drive too. The size of the interior is also comfortable for me and being able to adjust the height as well as lumbar of the seat is nice. The suspension wears quickly though and the door handles are very flimsy. The windows seem to slip off track very easily too. The headlights could be brighter and the bumpers sturdier. But overall, my experience has been good.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It's one of the most reliable cars that I've ever owned. It handles the road really well. Also, it has great gas mileage. I like that I have a backup camera. This prevents me from running over or hitting something. Also, this is very effective at night when visibility is low. I'm pleased with all of the features of the car, although it can have better constructed interior material.

Original review: June 17, 2018

This 2014 Toyota Camry is amazing. It is reliable, spacious and comfortable. I love how good of gas mileage it gets, the touchscreen display on the dashboard, the color and body style of the vehicle, and that it allows you to hook up to Bluetooth. I also love the rearview camera that makes backing out way more simpler and the button controls on the steering wheel. We chose this make and model as our family vehicle because we have always heard wonderful things about Toyotas. We have heard that they are extremely reliable and good on gas. My family loves to travel so this was a selling point for me. I also heard that Toyota model vehicles are relatively cheap to fix which is comforting when purchasing a new vehicle.

However, I would add a mirror reflector similar to the Buicks that let you see the speedometer on the windshield. I would also perhaps add the ability to use free wifi from inside the vehicle. I would also love to see DVD players included in the car as I have children and road trips would be more convenient if this feature was included. My passenger side door does not automatically lock and unlock like the other doors. So I have to manually lock and unlock each time. This is inconvenient and can be frustrating.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was more attracted to the Toyota Camry because of the style and color. It has a very nice body style and I like the interior. It's pretty roomy for a midsize car and I like that it's just the right size. This car is also pretty good on gas and I have not had to have any major car repairs so far. But I wish it could sit up a little higher like an SUV. Other than that I like everything about this car. It is very reliable and dependable and my overall experience has been very positive.

Toyota Camry Company Information