2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.71/5

The Toyota Camry started out as a compact car, but more recent models are mdi-size. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Toyota Camry Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Camry?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Camry?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I have never written a review of a car before but I can no longer be silent about my 2019 Toyota Camry LE. Before I begin, I would like to give you some background about my life with the Toyota Camry. I have purchased or leased over a dozen Camrys since 1985. Some of them were for my wife and son. 90% of them were secured through the same dealership. Over the years I have been very satisfied with this remarkable, low-maintenance, well-designed car. But no more.

I relied on all my previous Camry experiences and leased my 2019 without thoroughly testing it. After I drove it for several days I developed some major concerns. I looked into returning or exchanging the car but I was informed that is not possible with a lease. On the positive side, the car is the best handling and riding of ALL the Camrys I have driven. The sound system is also the best. The trim is excellent. It is very well built and with excellent safety features. But... The engine and transmission combination is an abomination. The throttle and shifting response is so unpredictable and erratic that it is borderline dangerous to drive. Trying to anticipate how the car will respond is certainly not an enjoyable driving experience. I had to alter the way I drive. I now dread driving it.

With almost every press of the accelerator there is a perceptible delay in engine response. Sometimes the delay is so severe it feels as if the engine choked. The car constantly tries to prematurely shift to a higher gear, resulting in uneven acceleration and jerking. It is not a smooth shift. As if those issues weren't enough, excessive engine noise makes it the noisiest Camry I ever driven. When accelerating hard such as when entering a freeway, the engine sounds underpowered and the exhaust sounds like a sports car.

I contacted Toyota to see if there were any technical bulletins that address these issues. They said they would have the dealer contact me. The dealer didn't. I called the dealer. They didn't respond until I persisted. Finally they said bring it in and they will check it out. The service writer said it was performing normally within Toyota spec. I even asked them to check for an exhaust leak thinking there is no way that sound could be normal for a Camry. Again, they said it is normal. They made me feel as if I were being unreasonable. I can assure you, with my 35 years experience driving twelve Toyota Camrys and other cars, I am not. Hundreds of other Camry drivers feel the same way. Just check the internet comments.

Also, I told the service writer that the driver side window whistled as if it wasn't fully closed or the seal was compromised. They would not fix it. It still whistles. With little to no response from either Toyota Corporate or the dealer, I get the feeling Toyota is counting on all us complaining Camry drivers to just shrug our shoulders and go away. For me, I have better things to do than deal with a bloated corporate giant that doesn't care about tarnishing the image of an automobile Industry icon like the Camry. Nor do they care about long-term loyal Camry owners. So when my lease is over, which can't be none too soon, I will be walking straight into Honda's showroom. I never thought I would ever consider switching teams but the time is right. Too bad Toyota.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Great gas mileage average 23 miles to gallon. My car has 90,000 miles and has had only tires changed one time, brakes only fixed one time, battery changed 2 times. No major repairs. Dashboard had some cracks, and Toyota changed the dashboard at no cost to me after the car was about 8 years old. The model is the Toyota SOLARA, 2005.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I do not drive a lot and considering that I have not had any significant problems. No repairs. Only oil changes and a new battery after a few years. Small complaints like a dim trunk light and inability to brighten or dim the dashboard lights which are not easily seen in bright sunlight.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My parents bought this car used for me. Since I got it the AC/Heat went out. It is not under warranty so we had to pay $900 to get it fixed. Otherwise things have been great. It is a 2007 and runs like a champ. I love having my own car!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I have been pleasantly surprised with ou 2019 Toyota Camry XSE. We are getting just over 28 mpg in mostly city driving and 33 mpg on interstate travel. It is very comfortable and easy to drive, also the new safety device on our cruise control has even prevented us from being in a accident! We love our 2019 Camry XSE and recommended it to everyone who wants to listen!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have a 4 cylinder 2010 and because I lived close to work, I only have 40,000 miles on it. I’ve given it sporadic maintenance but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I plan to keep it a long time and would readily buy another.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Wonderfully fuel efficient while having a lovely presentation. My passengers believe it is a newer car than it actually is. The interior is very roomy. Its exterior has a subtle grace to it. You feel like you're driving a luxury car.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

The Camry is very reliable. It's comfortable to drive and handles very well. Easy and inexpensive to maintain. Gas mileage is fair for a midsize car. I feel safe and secure in my Camry. My one concern is the rear pillars and head rests cause some blind spots when backing or changing lanes. The trunk is roomy and easy to pack.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

They stopped making this car in 2008. This is a full sized Camry body that is a convertible. The top folds down into an area behind the back seat and doesn't impact the trunk space at all. I can fit more stuff in my trunk with the top down than any other convertible at any price point. It's beautiful and it's a Toyota which is cheap to maintain and very reliable.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have 250,000 plus miles and it is still running good! I've had many offers to buy my car from auto mechanics when I take my car in for oil change and maintenance. They know how little maintenance my Camry requires!

Toyota Camry Company Information