1.29/5
Based on 79 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

325 Safelite AutoGlass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

On June 11 the technician shows up at my house which is 28 miles away from Champaign, Illinois without the rain sensor pad so the manager Jeff of the store has to bring it out to the to my house so I let my car sit in the garage for 4 days. The technician before he left where it was testing the rain sensor with Windex did not work so I went in the house and got a glass of water and poured on the windshield and it worked. Remind you I let my car sit in the garage for 4 days. I take it out of the garage and drive to Charleston, Illinois and it's raining and the rain sensor doesn't work so I call customer service and I get hung up on because I requested to talk to a manager and the representative hung up on me so I called again.

I got a number to the Illinois store which was actually a 1 800 number so I called again. Got the right number to the store and Jeff the manager was too busy to see what was wrong with my rain sensor so I have to wait 3 more days in order to have somebody look at it so I called corporate office and I guess the area manager calls me back and basically tells me the same thing Jeff told me so basically they collected my money, collected my insurance and put in a faulty rain sensor in my windshield. But now I have to wait 3 more days in order to get it looked at that and customer service Safelite. Safelite rips you off.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I had to have my windshield replaced 2 weeks ago. The tech showed up on time, was a very nice gentleman and got the job done quickly. He did damage the paint on my hood & once I contacted the home office for this company concerning the damage I was treated like gold. The actual VP of this company called me at 9:30 PM on Saturday night and promised I would be taken care of. The next day on Sunday, the local rep for the company (Michael) called me and promised me I would be taken care of and that someone would contact me within a few days. 2 days later the home office in Ohio contacted me and stated that they would either get the work done for me or cut a check & I could get it done myself. They sent me a settlement check which was very fair and I have an appointment scheduled for next week to take care of it. What a FANTASTIC company to deal with! Everyone involved treated me fair and were very nice people.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We have full glass coverage yet the technician on the way here said we had to come up with cash because our insurance would not cover it. Yesterday we got a confirmation from Safelite stating that we had zero deductible. We even confirmed with our insurance yet this guy wanted $65.00 cash. Called to complain and they lied about knowing if we had coverage. Horrible management IMHO. They wanted to reschedule and we said we only go with companies that have integrity so no thank you. Now reading all of these we dodged a bullet it seems.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I made several appointments to get my windshield replaced. I am on disability so it took me awhile to get the money together. But every time I made the appointment my work order numbers always said one price for the windshield that I told them I needed then when I get there they tried to almost double the price saying that it was the wrong windshield when I had specifically told them what windshield I needed. And they quoted me the 198.67 on two or three work order numbers that I have in my email and then when I get there they try to make it three hundred and something dollars which I was unable to pay so I did not get my windshield replaced by them. I even called the corporate office and they just were no help at all. They just all lied and did what they wanted to do which is cheap me as a customer.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I could not be more displeased with the lack of service provided by Safelite. They did not check my VIN number and did not have the correct windshield for my first appointment, so I wasted time and gas dropping my car one evening only to have someone take me back the next day to get my car with a windshield that was more damaged than when I dropped it there. They were unapologetic. They finally got the correct windshield a week later but did not return my call for days to reschedule. I set an appointment for 2:00 on a Saturday and was told it would be ready by 5:00. I was also told they closed at 5:00 and like to leave as early as possible on Saturdays.

I again had to inconvenience someone to help me drop the car and pick it up. When we arrived at 5:00, the car had not been touched. The administrative assistant, rather than being apologetic, told me she lived as far away as did I when I mentioned the inconvenience. Extremely inappropriate and unprofessional. My car should have been a priority after the first blunder, but they made it painfully clear clients and customer service are not important to them. My windshield is still not replaced. I do NOT recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelite AutoGlass?

Original review: June 9, 2018

Shoddy service. Made appointment on May 22 for June 5th. Purchased front & rear windshield wipers. Later received an email confirming the appointment but was only charged for the rear. On June 4th I was told the appointment needed to be canceled b/c the replacement windshield had a scratch. Reset for June 7th between hours of 12p-5p. At 1:15p they cancelled again. This time because technicians had called in sick. *NOTE both days it was raining heavily, BUT, I had secured a large garage for the work to be done in a cool, dry environment. Reset to Saturday June 9th. Worked completed but only the front windshield wipers were replaced. The technician said his work order only said front & that he couldn't replace the rear anyways b/c he didn't have a rear one.

Called the office, got standard lip service then, "well let me check to see if we even carry that part..." Me: "Why would you charge me for a part that you don't carry?" Continued with run around to include guilt trip/sarcasm, "well if I have to, I'll leave the office and buy the part and to come to you even though we have things going on..." Me: "The part is $12.77. Two cancellations & run around; just refund my $12.77 & let's go out separate ways. You guys aren't worth the aggravation." Them: "We didn't charge you for the windshield wipers & I have no record of you purchasing the rear." Note: The whole conversation about the wipers arose when I responded to the confirmation email. The person on the other line asked for proof & provided an email that as it turns out is not a valid email address. Needless to say. I won't recommend them to any friends or family. If I ever need another windshield I'll look elsewhere...

Original review: June 8, 2018

Terrible company. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. My vehicle was only 4 months old when my windshield cracked. I called Safelite on 4-6-18 after confirming with my insurance company that I am covered for a new OEM windshield. I asked for mobile service and was given a scheduled date of 4-19-18 at 12 noon (I have email confirmation). The installer did not arrive until 3:30 pm. He was about to start removing my cracked windshield so I asked to see the new one. As he took it out of the truck and set it on the table I noticed a chip on the bottom (photo available). I told him I would not accept that windshield.

The chip would have been covered by the trim but would probably have cracked as soon as I hit a bump. I was then given a new install date of 5-4-18. Before arriving they called and tried to get me to bring my vehicle to them even though I asked for mobile service and told them I have an empty 3 car garage for them to work in. Upon arrival they tried installing the same chipped windshield that I rejected on 4-19. Keep in mind that when you bring your vehicle to them you are not allowed in the service area and cannot see which windshield they are installing. They returned 2 hrs later with a new windshield or possibly found a way to repair the chip so it wasn't noticeable. While replacing the windshield they damaged the small chrome trim piece on the passenger side (photos available).

They also threw all the trim pieces on top of my rear leather seats while doing the work (It's a luxury SUV that is only 4 months old). They told me that they will order a replacement trim and they would fix it once the replacement was available. I drove to their shop 3 times between May 9th and June 4th, only to be given different excuses each time. I finally received a call on 6-6-18 that the replacement trim had arrived. I drove to their shop immediately and finally got the new piece installed. It took 61 days from start to finish on my windshield replacement and I had to make 4 trips to their shop (so much for mobile service) and numerous phone calls.

Original review: June 6, 2018

A ten week ordeal trying to replace windshield. 1st appointment: "Sorry wrong windshield." 2nd appointment: "Sorry, wrong moulding." 3rd call: "Sorry moulding is back ordered." 4th appointment: "Sorry wrong windshield." 5th call: "I will override system and we will be there Tuesday." Never showed up! Stay away folks!! There was no 6th call. Went to another supplier.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Do not believe the commercials. First off they could not schedule an appointment until FIVE days after I called. Second they give you a FIVE hour window for the repairman to arrive. My window was between 12 PM ET and 5 PM ET. At 12:30 PM ET I get a call from 'Rock' that he will be there in an hour. At 1:30 no one arrives. I call Rock. He then informs me that he just started another job. I had to ask twice what time I could expect him. He finally said 4:30 PM ET. At 4:20 PM ET I get a phone call from Rock but I was on another line and had to call him back, which I did in five minutes. I get Rock's voicemail and leave a message. 5 PM ET comes and goes no Rock no return call. I call again and get his voicemail again. I hang up without leaving a message.

Ten minutes later I get a phone call from Rock. He has the GALL to say "Hi Mike! Whats up?" I say, "It's ten after five. Where are you, I have been sitting here for five hours." He says, "I left a voicemail saying the glass was broken and we have to reschedule." Now I have a Samsung Galaxy 8+. When some leaves a voicemail you get a notification plus a little green icon next to the number that left it in Recent Calls. There was and still is nothing. Now they want me to sit here for ANOTHER five hours Tuesday and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. Use these guys at your own peril.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I will not be returning. It took a week to schedule an appointment, last Tuesday 8-12 was my appointment. I got a call the day before my appointment asking me to reschedule for Thursday. I was trying to be reasonable and accepted. Unfortunately the afternoon after my originally scheduled appointment, the storm that blew through split the tiny chip in my windshield and now I need the whole thing replaced. When I called to ask if there was anything they could do, I was told that I would receive a call from the manager a few days later. The call never came.

When my new appointment finally came, I was up early on my day off waiting for my new 8-12 technician to arrive. He showed up about 12:15, and when he finally got started, he realized that they gave him the wrong windshield. He had to drive back to the warehouse to get the right windshield, and he wasn’t back until after 1 pm. I had other things to do after my appointment before I went to work, but that wasn’t able to happen because of everything being messed up. My original windshield should have been fixed over a week and a half ago, easily fixing a chip less than an inch big. I rescheduled trying to be nice and now I’m spending over $250 more than originally quoted because of the crack, and I can’t even get anyone to give me a call back. I’m a college student, I cannot afford stuff like this, which is why I hastily accepted the reschedule for a simply $40 discount. I will never be scheduling with this company again.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I booked an appointment online. Time of Service was listed as between 8 am and 12 noon, BUT for an additional $14.99 I could book the Early Bird Special and be first on the list. I did so since I had minor surgery scheduled for the afternoon of the service date and wanted to be sure I allowed sufficient time. Checking back later on my appointment time, it was still listed as between 8 and noon. I called and was told that I was first on the list but their technician first needed to go into the shop to pickup equipment, etc and that he'd be there between 8 and 10. Jessie, showed up at 9:45. A far cry from 8 am. Then I was told that the replacement would take between and hour and an hour and a half (30 minutes less than what the web site stated. Yay). However, there would also be an additional one hour waiting time to allow the adhesive/sealant to cure. Needless to say, I had a time problem.

My complaint, the 8 am to noon quoted time estimate was deliberately misleading. If the technicians report to work at 8, gather equipment and make calls, there is no way that any customer will be serviced beginning at 8AM. AND, the installation time estimate should at least mention, if not include, the additional hour's curing time. Oh, and the wipers I ordered and prepaid through PayPal??? The tech had no record off them. I'm really worried about the quality of materials and workmanship given the misleading information and forgotten order items.

Original review: May 31, 2018

If I could give this company zero, I definitely would. I set up an appointment through Safelite's website. Due to the availability of the window, the appointment had to be set a week out (also an 8 am-12:00pm timeframe). Two days prior to the appointment, the technician calls and says the window is not yet available and the appointment would need to be rescheduled. I called another company - they informed me they get their glass from Safelite and based on her inventory record, Safelite did in fact have the necessary part in.

I called Safelite back and told them what happened. The lady on the phone informs me that it was a mix up in the warehouse, the part is in and we can keep the appointment. It is now the day of the supposed appointment and over 2 hours after the given time frame... no call, no show! Upon calling the Safelite technician to ask why no one showed up for the appointment, we were told the part is NOT in. I called Safelite's main line AGAIN and was told the part is not in and will never be in. I am beyond floored! I have never encountered a business with no regard for their customers. It's absolutely amazing they are still in business. If you are thinking of using their services, try anyone else FIRST.

Original review: May 25, 2018

ABSOLUTELY THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! If you like being on hold for ATLEAST 1/2 hour before you get someone on the line, then to be transferred and disconnected then this is your company. If you need to send them any documents, be prepared to send them AT LEAST 2-3 times because they never seem to receive them... even when you have a confirmation fax. They don't acknowledge emails, give you phone numbers for managers who never answer their phone and MAYBE call you back 3 days later.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I was looking for a windshield for a 1993 Porsche Carrera 2 convertible, so, online I received a quote from Safelite for $491.00. I even chatted with Kit about the availability and Kit said that the windshield is available. I contacted a local office and finally, after several tries, received the manager. 3 times he said he would call me back with whether or not he could get the windshield. I got an own windshield on eBay. Still after 4 days, nothing from **.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Safelite technician never showed for the appointment at my home, which was a four hour wait. When I finally got someone to answer the phone they told me they didn't have the windshield in stock. I had made the appointment a week out and they did not bother to call to let me know that they had no intention of showing up for the appointment. They wanted me to wait more than a week for another appointment. This was for a Ford F150 which is a common windshield. I called another glass installer and he ordered the windshield and had it on hand in two hours. Safelite is too big and just doesn't really care about customer satisfaction anymore.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I set up an appointment to have my windshield replaced on my 2011 Toyota weeks in advance. Appointment was for 5/15/18 out of the Union City office in Georgia. I took off from work and waited. I had so many things to do but didn’t want to miss the appointment and I wanted to get it done before the predicted heavy rain started. At 11:46 am the tech calls me saying he will be there between 2 and 4. I said the appointment is for 8 and 1 and I took off from work for this and I have other things scheduled. The tech says ok I'll be there by 1 or a little bit after 1.

At 2:46pm, still waiting, no one showed up, no word. At this point, I am pissed so I call the office and spoke to the manager. He didn’t even seem to care. He told me that he would contact the tech and get back to me. At 4:46pm the tech calls me saying that he is on the way to my house. Horrible!!! BY THIS TIME I WAS MAD AND ALREADY CALLED ANOTHER COMPANY TO COME OUT AND FOR $100 LESS WITH THE SAME WARRANTY. I can't believe how bad this company was. I've used them before in NY and they were great. So this was a huge surprise. Shop around if you need auto glass repair.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Went to my appt. Was told my new glass came scratched and will have to come back in a week, I did and glass was installed to find out later that it was the same glass from last visit. I also was expecting clean spotless inside out, it wasn’t. If I ever had broken glass will never go to Safelite. Lousy service.

Original review: May 10, 2018

A week ago I scheduled for Safelite to come fix my windshield today from 12 to 5. Well I got no text or email confirming the appointment. I called. The lady said the manager was suppose to call me about a concern. I never got the call. Worst customer service so I called my insurance company demanding a new company. Never again will I go with them or refer them.

Original review: May 8, 2018

After requesting service, the agent confirmed part was ordered and date of installation, Saturday morning between 8:00am and Noon. At about 9:30am on Saturday, I received a call of apology, stating that the part had not been ordered. I was told a new windshield would be ordered for installation on Monday. Monday came and I called them back in the late morning to find out that nothing had been done. The new agent, took my information and ordered the part. Installation was scheduled for Tuesday morning at a parking lot in downtown Savannah between 8:00am and Noon. At 12:40pm, no agent or call had occurred. I called another glass repair shop, got a quote for a fraction of the price, and sit waiting, now, for the repair. I cancelled the Safelite repair. They are horrible and will never get a referral from me.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Needed a windshield replaced - made the appointment and they said it would be between noon and 5 pm the next day. Lost an entire afternoon - no call and no show. Tried to call them and just lingered on hold until it didn't make sense any longer.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Safelite came to my office and "repaired" a chip. I told the tech that I didn't think it was correct but he assured me it was. About 30 days later, it cracked up the windshield. My first appointment for them to come to my office was rescheduled due to rain. The 2nd appointment was HORRIBLE. The guy took an hour to remove my windshield, forgot the glue to put the new one in and when the second guy came, they tried to rush because at this point the first guy had been there for two hours when he estimated 1-1.5 hours for the job. I got the call that it was done and came out and he told me the second tech cracked the windshield and I would have to schedule an appointment in a couple days after the glue dries.

Upon further inspection, they left greasy handprints on my tan interior, tore the headliner, didn't seal the rearview mirror correctly, left grease on the door, smudges and handprints on the rearview mirror, and bent up the metal piece that is supposed to sit flush against the windshield. I have not checked under the hood yet, as that idea was just suggested to me by a co-worker. The manager of the store said someone would come fix the windshield 3 days later but they originally expected me to take half a day off of work to come to the shop for them to fix the issues.

I told them I needed a rental car because the car isn't safe to drive and if it rains the electrical components could get wet where his tech cracked the windshield and didn't seal it properly. I'm having to take time out of my day to go get a rental car when I am booked with meetings at work and don't have the time to fix their screw up and they don't care. Brian the manager, continues to lie to me and is avoiding my phone calls so that he does not have to deal with an upset customer. I will never use them again and I will never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had two very small chips/cracks, one about 3/8" and one very visible. When the technician was completed those same small cracks were over 2" in length. Since then I have decided to replace the windshield at my expense. They will never be allowed to touch our vehicles again.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Made an appointment and sent the required pictures of the windshield damage and I was available exactly at the time the appointment was scheduled. The installer showed up without the correct materials to complete the install. I’m in and out of town and did not reschedule and someone showed up a few days later without my agreeing to any time or day. Of course, I was not there. I got emails stating my appointment that I never set had been cancelled. I replied and explained all of the above and their response was of minimal concern and tried to push it off on me because they had tried to call me after the botched original appointment. Apparently they have too many customers to be too concerned. Will be easy to find a competitor that can handle the work.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Wipers not replaced. Vin# could no longer be seen. Drain plate uneven. Old rubber stuck in driver side door. Could not find ins. claim on computer. Worker said sometimes things are forgotten and the vin# can be found on the door.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I have a 2017 Range Rover HSE and they failed to seal my windshield causing water to intrude into my car, damaging the overhead liner and all the high-tech cameras with the driver assist feature, the overhead electronics associated with the sunroof, and then dripping down into my navigation system.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I can't believe Safelite has so many good ratings on their site since shortly after my bad experience, my daughter had a bad experience with damage to her car. My problem started with crack in my windshield. I contacted Safelite, a technician was sent out, he was not familiar with windshield. I was instructed to make appointment to bring in. On Feb 2, 2018, windshield was replaced, repairman offered to seal windshield border with 2 sided tape. After leaving, while driving I heard a noise (wind type noise). Contacted Safelite, they requested I bring in because they have equipment to diagnose noise. Attempted to make appointment, I was told they would have someone to come out.

On the day appointment was take place, it rained. Another appointment was made for someone to come out. Prior to technician coming I attempted to use my sunroof (panoramic type), it would not open all the way. I noticed a spring and a piece of plastic sitting in the crevice of the sunroof. I assumed that while repairing the windshield they inadvertently left the spring out. When the technician came, he said the spring appeared to be left out but that it did not belong there and he removed it and advised me to take the car into Safelite. Long story short, Safelite took no responsibility for my sunroof even though it was working before the windshield was installed. I contacted their corporate office and they were not willing to assist me.

The solution given to me was to take my car to the dealership and if they indicated that Safelite was responsible then they would pay for it. Note: a dialysis of the sunroof would cost me $174.00. This entire experience started 2/2/18 and did not end until 4/4/18. I intend to have this diagnosis done but I will never recommend this company for service again. My daughter had to have her car repaired outside of Safelite for fear of having to go thru what I went thru. I will say that Safelite's staff @ the Union City location was very kind and professional but that does not excuse the poor workmanship and inconvenience put upon their customers.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I had two appointments with them for mobile service. My first appointment was on April 07. The guy that came out was very nice, on time and called once he was outside. But he brought the wrong window so he had to make another appointment. My appointment was for that Tuesday the 10 from 12 to 5 PM. I called to verify my appointment with them about 12 and the Tech said he was finishing his morning appointments up and will be to me. Nevertheless I got a text message on my phone at 3:42 to be exact that my Tech Mr ** with picture was on the way. I stood outside waiting for the guy. So he pulls up in the parking lot and kept going.

I then called customer service to ask what was going on with the Tech. They tell me that "I called your phone two times and you didn't answer". I then asked for the number. They read off a number I don't know and then say well it's nothing they can do. I get a manager on the line. I informed him what had happen. He say well he says, "The Tech call." And again he read a number I don't know. So I say, "Well that's not my number." And told him my number. He say, "Well that's not on file."

So I ask, "Sir if that number not on file how I just got a text message with his picture and name on this same number you say not on file. That's why I was standing by." He say, "Oh that's Automatic come to the phone." So again I say, "Its automatic come to a phone that you say that's not on file I'm not understanding." Instead of him admitting they made a mistake he continue to tell me it's nothing they can do and they was just rude about the whole thing. Never again.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Absolute joke of a company. Working with them has been and continues to be a terrible experience. I disputed their charge with my credit card company due to multiple causes and only received a letter saying I disputed the charged without cause. I responding to a letter sent to me about my payment being disputed without cause because this could not be further from the truth. I had multiple issues with the service and expectations that were set throughout my entire experience with Safelite. It's actually been rather unbelievable how terrible this experience has been.

Cause #1) Date of initial appointment, the wrong piece of glass was brought by the technician making the entire appointment pointless. I was told that I would be first on the list the next day and would have a 9 am appointment. Cause #2) No notice from Safelite until after the 9 am time which had been confirmed on the previous day. I was then informed that my appointment would be later in the day. I had to rework my entire day because of this. Cause #3) The technician obviously was aware that the new window, the correct window, was much more expensive than the previous quote. While he should have made me aware before starting the work, I was not informed until after the installation was complete. This has a very bait and switch feel to it.

Cause #4) The technician damaged the locking mechanism to my vehicle during the installation process and was not able to repair the damage. He said a new part would need to be ordered. He said that I would be contacted about repairing the damage and that it would be taken care of. I never received any communication from Safelite about this and the damage has not be repaired. Cause #5) I was understandably upset with the experience of the entire process and the damage to the vehicle. I called the local office, where the technician was dispatched from, multiple times and asked for the manager. Every time I was told he was busy, but if I left a message I would receive a callback. I have yet to hear anything back from anybody from that office.

I have reached out to their billing/collection department via email and phone multiple times but have not received any communication from them. I am now receiving calls from a collection agency. This has been a terrible experience and the lack of professionalism from the local franchise to the corporate office has been ridiculous.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I took the first appointment to replace my Honda Pilot windshield. I came in before eight in the morning but the job was not and started till about nine. They did not have the OEM windshield I requested when I made the appointment. I had to settle for the non-Honda windshield because I cannot take off work another day. We’ll see how it goes. I am not surprised what happened after reading all the other reviews. Same story. I would never come back here to have this done. I will recommend to my insurance company to change providers.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Approximately two weeks ago I scheduled an appointment to have my windshield repaired due to a small crack - when the technician came out, he said, "We have a problem - I have the wrong windshield. You need to call for another appointment." I did this and was told that I have to wait at least another week, because I called them too late for an appointment that week. So I scheduled another appointment for a week later. The technician called on that date and said he would be on time. Just before the end of the appointment window, he called and said, "It is starting to sprinkle, and we can't install windshields if there is any moisture whatsoever." I said, "Ok, but I have taken two days off work without pay already, can you come in the next couple of days."

He said, "No - you have to go back to the end of the queue." I told him, “Please schedule me then for the next week in the morning so I don't miss any more work.” He said he would. Then I find out Safelite scheduled me for the afternoon when I am not available. I have given up on this company and has contacted another company to do the work - as the crack is now spreading to the entire window. Their ads on TV are misleading and deceptive - they do not do same day (in my case it is not even in the same month) service. I would definitely avoid using Safelite - thankfully there are other companies my insurance company, State Farm, can refer me to.

Safelite AutoGlass Company Information