1.32/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

304 Safelite AutoGlass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I had two very small chips/cracks, one about 3/8" and one very visible. When the technician was completed those same small cracks were over 2" in length. Since then I have decided to replace the windshield at my expense. They will never be allowed to touch our vehicles again.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Made an appointment and sent the required pictures of the windshield damage and I was available exactly at the time the appointment was scheduled. The installer showed up without the correct materials to complete the install. I’m in and out of town and did not reschedule and someone showed up a few days later without my agreeing to any time or day. Of course, I was not there. I got emails stating my appointment that I never set had been cancelled. I replied and explained all of the above and their response was of minimal concern and tried to push it off on me because they had tried to call me after the botched original appointment. Apparently they have too many customers to be too concerned. Will be easy to find a competitor that can handle the work.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 16, 2018

Wipers not replaced. Vin# could no longer be seen. Drain plate uneven. Old rubber stuck in driver side door. Could not find ins. claim on computer. Worker said sometimes things are forgotten and the vin# can be found on the door.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I have a 2017 Range Rover HSE and they failed to seal my windshield causing water to intrude into my car, damaging the overhead liner and all the high-tech cameras with the driver assist feature, the overhead electronics associated with the sunroof, and then dripping down into my navigation system.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I can't believe Safelite has so many good ratings on their site since shortly after my bad experience, my daughter had a bad experience with damage to her car. My problem started with crack in my windshield. I contacted Safelite, a technician was sent out, he was not familiar with windshield. I was instructed to make appointment to bring in. On Feb 2, 2018, windshield was replaced, repairman offered to seal windshield border with 2 sided tape. After leaving, while driving I heard a noise (wind type noise). Contacted Safelite, they requested I bring in because they have equipment to diagnose noise. Attempted to make appointment, I was told they would have someone to come out.

On the day appointment was take place, it rained. Another appointment was made for someone to come out. Prior to technician coming I attempted to use my sunroof (panoramic type), it would not open all the way. I noticed a spring and a piece of plastic sitting in the crevice of the sunroof. I assumed that while repairing the windshield they inadvertently left the spring out. When the technician came, he said the spring appeared to be left out but that it did not belong there and he removed it and advised me to take the car into Safelite. Long story short, Safelite took no responsibility for my sunroof even though it was working before the windshield was installed. I contacted their corporate office and they were not willing to assist me.

The solution given to me was to take my car to the dealership and if they indicated that Safelite was responsible then they would pay for it. Note: a dialysis of the sunroof would cost me $174.00. This entire experience started 2/2/18 and did not end until 4/4/18. I intend to have this diagnosis done but I will never recommend this company for service again. My daughter had to have her car repaired outside of Safelite for fear of having to go thru what I went thru. I will say that Safelite's staff @ the Union City location was very kind and professional but that does not excuse the poor workmanship and inconvenience put upon their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelite AutoGlass?

Original review: April 10, 2018

I had two appointments with them for mobile service. My first appointment was on April 07. The guy that came out was very nice, on time and called once he was outside. But he brought the wrong window so he had to make another appointment. My appointment was for that Tuesday the 10 from 12 to 5 PM. I called to verify my appointment with them about 12 and the Tech said he was finishing his morning appointments up and will be to me. Nevertheless I got a text message on my phone at 3:42 to be exact that my Tech Mr ** with picture was on the way. I stood outside waiting for the guy. So he pulls up in the parking lot and kept going.

I then called customer service to ask what was going on with the Tech. They tell me that "I called your phone two times and you didn't answer". I then asked for the number. They read off a number I don't know and then say well it's nothing they can do. I get a manager on the line. I informed him what had happen. He say well he says, "The Tech call." And again he read a number I don't know. So I say, "Well that's not my number." And told him my number. He say, "Well that's not on file."

So I ask, "Sir if that number not on file how I just got a text message with his picture and name on this same number you say not on file. That's why I was standing by." He say, "Oh that's Automatic come to the phone." So again I say, "Its automatic come to a phone that you say that's not on file I'm not understanding." Instead of him admitting they made a mistake he continue to tell me it's nothing they can do and they was just rude about the whole thing. Never again.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Absolute joke of a company. Working with them has been and continues to be a terrible experience. I disputed their charge with my credit card company due to multiple causes and only received a letter saying I disputed the charged without cause. I responding to a letter sent to me about my payment being disputed without cause because this could not be further from the truth. I had multiple issues with the service and expectations that were set throughout my entire experience with Safelite. It's actually been rather unbelievable how terrible this experience has been.

Cause #1) Date of initial appointment, the wrong piece of glass was brought by the technician making the entire appointment pointless. I was told that I would be first on the list the next day and would have a 9 am appointment. Cause #2) No notice from Safelite until after the 9 am time which had been confirmed on the previous day. I was then informed that my appointment would be later in the day. I had to rework my entire day because of this. Cause #3) The technician obviously was aware that the new window, the correct window, was much more expensive than the previous quote. While he should have made me aware before starting the work, I was not informed until after the installation was complete. This has a very bait and switch feel to it.

Cause #4) The technician damaged the locking mechanism to my vehicle during the installation process and was not able to repair the damage. He said a new part would need to be ordered. He said that I would be contacted about repairing the damage and that it would be taken care of. I never received any communication from Safelite about this and the damage has not be repaired. Cause #5) I was understandably upset with the experience of the entire process and the damage to the vehicle. I called the local office, where the technician was dispatched from, multiple times and asked for the manager. Every time I was told he was busy, but if I left a message I would receive a callback. I have yet to hear anything back from anybody from that office.

I have reached out to their billing/collection department via email and phone multiple times but have not received any communication from them. I am now receiving calls from a collection agency. This has been a terrible experience and the lack of professionalism from the local franchise to the corporate office has been ridiculous.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I took the first appointment to replace my Honda Pilot windshield. I came in before eight in the morning but the job was not and started till about nine. They did not have the OEM windshield I requested when I made the appointment. I had to settle for the non-Honda windshield because I cannot take off work another day. We’ll see how it goes. I am not surprised what happened after reading all the other reviews. Same story. I would never come back here to have this done. I will recommend to my insurance company to change providers.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Approximately two weeks ago I scheduled an appointment to have my windshield repaired due to a small crack - when the technician came out, he said, "We have a problem - I have the wrong windshield. You need to call for another appointment." I did this and was told that I have to wait at least another week, because I called them too late for an appointment that week. So I scheduled another appointment for a week later. The technician called on that date and said he would be on time. Just before the end of the appointment window, he called and said, "It is starting to sprinkle, and we can't install windshields if there is any moisture whatsoever." I said, "Ok, but I have taken two days off work without pay already, can you come in the next couple of days."

He said, "No - you have to go back to the end of the queue." I told him, “Please schedule me then for the next week in the morning so I don't miss any more work.” He said he would. Then I find out Safelite scheduled me for the afternoon when I am not available. I have given up on this company and has contacted another company to do the work - as the crack is now spreading to the entire window. Their ads on TV are misleading and deceptive - they do not do same day (in my case it is not even in the same month) service. I would definitely avoid using Safelite - thankfully there are other companies my insurance company, State Farm, can refer me to.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I called Safelite Monday January 16, 2017 about replacing my windshield. The appointment was set up to take place two weeks later. My wife went to the appointment and they didn't have the windshield. We scheduled the appointment again and they didn’t have the windshield when we arrived for the second time. Then they finally installed it on the third appointment February 8, 2018.

I specifically asked to have the correct windshield installed from the OEM manufacture that goes with my VIN number. They installed the wrong windshield and it didn’t have the same tinting as the original. I complained and they admitted they installed the wrong windshield. They said they would install the correct one on February 21, 2018. The shop called and said they can’t install the windshield because they still don’t have the correct one. I followed up and they agreed to install the correct windshield on March 23, 2017. Before they installed the windshield I checked the part number and it wasn’t correct. The tinting wasn’t correct either. The issue still hasn’t been resolved.

Original review: March 20, 2018

March 1st - Insurance Company recommended Safelite to replace my windshield. March 1st - Called and Scheduled an Appointment. March 3rd - A Safelite Tech showed up on time, looked at the windshield, and said "We gotta problem boss... you have a different windshield than what I brought. This one has a rain sensor, yours does not. It will be 2 weeks before I can get back with the right windshield". March 3rd - I called the office and they told me that they can get one out of Columbus so we scheduled a time when they could come to my office which is near the Livonia, Michigan office on Glendale.

March 6th - Technician showed up on time and replaced the windshield. I found that after he replaced it, the lower cowl was not seated correctly. He tried to fix it, called someone for advice and suggested double stick tape. I told him that was not an acceptable fix. He arranged for me to bring it in to the Livonia Shop on Glendale to have them look at it. March 12th - Dropped my car off at the Livonia office. I was told that they could not fix it and they would order a replacement lower cowl. We set up an appointment for March 15th, between 12 and 4 pm at my Livonia office which is 5 minutes from their office.

March 15th 5:30 pm - The technician shows up after our office is closed. I called the main office and they arranged for another tech to come out March 16th between 8 and 10. March 16th 10:30 - The technician did not show up or call. I called the office and learned that he had a flat tire. March 16th 1:15 pm - The technician shows up and asks "What seems to be the problem?" (He did not know why he was dispatched.) I explained about the lower cowl needing to be replaced. He said that he was told that it already was, but he thought he could fix it. I informed him that I did not want it fixed and asked him to go back to the office to retrieve the part they had ordered for my car. He did. He came back, installed the lower cowl and did a very good job.

March 16th 2:30 - Called the Glendale office and asked to speak with the manager. I was told that he was out until Monday and that he would call me then. March 20th Tuesday - No Call. Throughout this whole adventure everyone was polite and very apologetic. They eventually made it right, but I doubt that I will ever feel comfortable using Safelite again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We recently had Safelite out to replace our windshield. After a few months the windshield started leaking excessive amounts of water. I called them again and they came out a second time to repair the leak. After just a few weeks, the rubber seal just popped off!!! It's laying here and I've called several times for someone to repair. The 3rd appointment was completely disregarded as the technician never even showed up (yesterday).

I called this morning and was passed around customer care for about 15 minutes until THEY DISCONNECTED the call. Unbelievable. Now, they have my phone number in the system as the only way to get in touch with me, so I expected a call back right away. Nothing. I have been waiting 10 minutes. This is a company I will never use again. So much for a lifetime warranty... After my first initial visit, the customer service has been worse than horrible. The local area is Doylestown, Bucks County. I would never recommend.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Their ads claim fast service at a reasonable rate. What a joke!!! Recently had driver side window vandalized. Called Safelite. They quoted a price and said they could fix it in 3 days. Called a local company. They came out the next morning. They were fast, courteous and efficient. AND THEY CHARGED 1/2 THE PRICE. THAT'S RIGHT!!! 50% LESS!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Technician seemed ready to leave as soon as he pulled up. Gave me a bunch of reasons why he might not be able to "by Safelite standards replace the window." I'm like "umm no I'm not going to let you take out my window if you're already doubting you can put it back in." Dude was telling me that if there is a lot of rust he can't put in a new window. I'm looking at every seam and I see no rust that could prevent adhesion... there is surface rust on the ends of the sheet metal, but it's an almost 20 yr old car in Oregon. I understand only putting out quality work, but come on, guy didn't want to work and talked the company out of a sale and I still need a new window. Waste of my time. Will not be using Safelite anytime soon.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

We contacted Safelite to replace a windshield in one of our over the road tractors. It took the technician quite a while to get the old windshield out and the new one in. The driver called in this morning (the next day) windshield is leaking like a sieve. I call Safelite and tell them he needs his windshield fixed in Greenville MI where he will be all day. "Oh no. They cannot come today how about tomorrow", the driver will be driving in the rain all day tomorrow (because that's what they do, drive). "How about Saturday," I ask, they don't do mobile calls in that area on Saturday. "Ok, just make me an appointment for Monday and I will cancel my driver's load and bring him home so it will be convenient for you to come and fix your shoddy work." We have a repair shop in addition to a trucking company and have to have windshields replaced quite frequently, needless to say I will be finding someone else in the future.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I made an appointment to have a few chips repaired on my windshield. The employee or contractor, DANA, was rude and not at all helpful. She refused to fix the chips even though they were smaller than a dime and well within the dollar bill limit. Dana was rude and I mean she should never work in customer service. I am a retired Customer Service executive in a large Fortune 500 company and if she were one of my employees she would have been fired on the spot. I believe Dana wanted a larger project such as replacing the windshield rather than repairing it. I have used this company in the past to replace a windshield and they had to come out a second time to re-glue the seal which became loose and was flopping around. That was not a good experience but at least the worker was polite if not competent. I will never use Safelite again and will advise my neighbors, friends, family, and my insurance company of my latest experience.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Problems started in late 2016, had to have side driver window replaced. Called them out and it seemed painless at first. A few months later I noticed that my window was cracking from inside the door panel and they came back out to replace. When doing so they somehow screwed up my door speaker which they sent out someone to fix. Fast forward to 2018 and my window again is cracking from inside the door panel. Tech shows up and they have the wrong glass, they had to order from another company, car is left unattended with no glass in the door for several hours, they finally show back up with the correct glass and he leaves.

The next day I noticed my gas cap was opened, thinking maybe I didn't shut it all the way, I closed it and that was it. Driving home the next day I noticed it opened again. Thinking something didn't add up, I called them back out again to make sure they didn't pinch a wire or something. I find that not only did they damage my door panel but the wire harness inside the door is damaged. Was told to take my car to the dealer, have them order parts and they will cover it. Waiting for manager to put it in writing before I do anything. So here I am with 3 pieces of glass installed so far, damaged speaker and broken door panel and wire harness. For my troubles I was offered 50 dollars back. From me, BUYER BEWARE, DONT WALK BUT RUN FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Out here in Colorado we have a lot of rocks on our roads. I got my 2017 Civic's windshield replaced by Safelite after a rock cracked it. Safelite spilled epoxy all over the hood of my car leaving residue. After sorting that out the windshield began to make creaking and popping noises. It cracked again due to another rock so I had Brakes Plus Auto Glass do the replacement this time. They found that Safelite did not seal the windshield all the way and also did not prime the windshield molds. I had another experience with my 2003 Acura MDX a few years back where they put the rear window in upside down after a neighbor threw a rock through the rear window.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I went through all the criteria needed on a Wednesday. The appointment was for 12:30 Friday. I double checked on Thursday. And was told that they knew nothing about my issue. This is for my semi tractor. I not only have to pay a high price at Safelite. The highest of 3 quotes I received but, I have to shut the truck down and lose hundreds in revenue. Only to find out their online order is useless.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My insurance directed me to this company and made a schedule to replace my windshield. They replace my windshield with an aftermarket one. Not only the rear view mirror brackets did not match this tech scratched and damaged my rearview mirror assembly. You can see where he forced to open the covers. Now they are damaged. Since they don't really align he put a glue and putty on the rearview mirror assembly.

Also when I hit an uneven road the mirror shakes. I asked Mercedes how much is that whole special rearview mirror assembly and it is $1200. Now I have to deal with this problem. My windshield was replaced because of a crack from a rock that hit on the driver's side and it is eye level. I wish I looked at their reviews. I did not know too that I can choose a repair shop. This tech came back to my place 3 times to try and fix it. Now I'm afraid to let him work on my car. I also cleaned residues of glue on my wood paneling and vacuum the car from this mess.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Glass replaced cracked. First warranty complaint was air leak in front windshield glass replaced. Found water leak in front windshield due to repairperson being in hurry, not paying attention and missing placing satellite radio wires back under seal, so I had to return and have windshield replaced again. This time the repairperson put the satellite radio wires under the door frame seal leaving wires exposed, never go to them again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Well I was very worried when I happened to be at the Safelite store getting my car’s windshield replaced and just happened to start reading reviews about this company. I do understand that most reviews are when people are pissed but the sheer number of unhappy customers really worried me. Let’s start off with when I called late Saturday night checking prices for a replacement windshield for my 2001 Isuzu Trooper. The lady was very friendly and answered all my questions but in the end the price was about 50 dollars more than several local shops in town. It would have ended there but I decided to tell her the reason I was not placing an order because the price was too high but I was considering maybe calling them back because the warranty they offered was lifetime replacement or repair as long as I owned the vehicle.

She said, “Just a minute,” typed something in her computer and said, “I have good news. I can offer the windshield 50 dollars cheaper with a coupon” and said it could be done Monday around 2:30pm. I of course said, “Let’s do it” and made the appointment for Monday and she said I would receive an email to remind of the date and also the address and directions to get there. On a side note she recommended new windshield wipers and it just happened I needed them and did not want to install them myself with the below freezing weather here in Kansas City. On the day of the install I arrived at 2:30 and they said it would take about 1-2 hrs. The waiting room was very clean and offered coffee, hot choco, etc. during my time waiting on the install.

The manager gave everyone an update and pulled me aside saying the install would take longer because they forgot to include clips along with the windshield and also the old glass was being difficult to take out, but he sent someone nearby to the warehouse to get the clips. Now I was not at all upset because #1 they came and told me and #2 they did not attempt to cut corners and do a crappy job because the right parts was missing. It took about 2hrs 20 min to replace the windshield including the wipers even though they had to get another part at the warehouse. When going over the bill the manager took off 9.99 which was the cost of windshield disposal because I had to wait longer. The total cost of everything including tax and the windshield wipers was 199.99. Just for comparison the cheapest in town at a local shop was 170.00 which did not include the lifetime warranty and new windshield wipers.

Now about the install, everything looked great, the cleanup was spotless, no broken glass shards. Also the carpet was vacuumed and dash was cleaned. It ever smelled great. Must have been the cleaner. The windshield itself was perfect. The mirror installed correctly and no fingerprints on it or the windshield. The molding on the outside was great looking. No problems on workmanship and the windshield was cleaned spotlessly on both sides and windshield wipers worked great and I also noticed no leaks via fluid or air.

As for the review I gave perfect 5 stars. I would highly recommend, the service was great, the price I believe exceeded expectations including lifetime warranty and the products themselves looks of the highest quality. I am so glad to have used Safelite and all the negative reviews all I can say is I’m sure most based on bad service and if they had all the positive reviewers would be in the 90’s. I’m not one to praise often and this was probably a handful of reviews I’ve done in my lifetime!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Setting the appointment was easy. No problems there. The tech came to my office and did the repair in the parking lot. That's the good part. The bad part is I HATE the quality of the glass. It is impossible to keep or get clean. It constantly gets a film on it that is next to impossible to clean. I read the company instruction to no avail. I have used vinegar and water, ammonia-free Windex, and several foaming brands of cleaner. None work. We did not have this problem with the factory glass nor with an aftermarket windshield from another company. Our insurance company paid for the windshield and we used Safelite on 2 vehicles. Had the same problem with both windshields. I would recommend avoiding this company for this reason. The glass is inferior. Safelite recommends their custom blend glass cleaner. The whole thing feels like a scam to me.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Repair tech came at 4:30. It gets dark at 5:30 so he did most of work in dark, company supplies no light for workers just tells them to do it. Next day found part of moulding was not glued down and glass chips on dashboard. Complained which took hours. They sent manager out to repair who lied and said didn't get glued showed my car (same model and it is glued) so he fixed. Today turned on windshield wipers (which I bought good ones) driver's side just flops around. Workers say that company tells them they have to work in dark, they got the money and don't care!!! Wasted so much time taking off work and company only could say "sorry". Don't use. Not worth the money you save. It's cheap because they do cheap work!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I called Safelite for a cracked windshield on my brand new car. They sent out a service truck, the installer said it’s best to do it at the garage, because he needs help. Took it to the one on McKellips in Mesa. Picked up the car and drove away, then a piece attached to my windshield fell off. I drove back and they reinstalled it. Driving home I noticed they did not clean the new window, my mirror had fingerprints all over it, and looking closely, and there was some kind of glue stuck on the trim, I couldn’t get it off. They sent a service person out to my house, he tried sanding the glue off and scratched my paint. I had to take it to a body shop and got a new piece installed.

About a week or so later I went to use my wipers, the windshield fluid wouldn’t come on. I took it to the dealer, thought warranty issue, they told me the windshield installer didn’t hook it back up and left everything hanging apart. They also told me to never use Safelite, they are the worst. The manager of the store was never there, always out, so I took care of it with the cooperate office. They paid for the trim piece, and gave me 25 dollars for my inconvenience, what a joke! I’m not sure how this company is in business.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I got robbed the day before Christmas and had to wait until the 26th to get my window replaced. I came home from work early so I wouldn't miss them and waited 6 hours. They never called or showed up. It's the middle of winter and I have no window... Tried to reschedule and they don't have another opening for another week.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I had a chip in my windshield. I called about service. They want $109.00 at their shop. And of course more to have a tech come to me and fix it. I declined their service and went to a local shop without an appointment and paid $40.00 and drove away in 30 minutes. I do not recommend this overpriced company. I would hate to see what they charge to change out a windshield.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

My auto insurance company sent Safelite out to repair a new ding on my windshield. When they arrived I asked the installer how much it would cost to repair another one that was close to the one they came for. He said they could repair up to three. Both these we talked about were in the driver's sight. A few minutes later, I hear a “crack”. The installer had tried to repair a tiny ding close to the bottom edge of the windshield. He tells me sometimes when they’re close to the edge they’re more vulnerable to crack. Now I have a 10” crack in my windshield that my local Safelite refuses to replace. They did offer a “discount” to replace, but I feel Safelite wasn’t hired to repair the ding they were working on.

The installer chose on his own to try to fix the tiny ding, without my approval, close to the edge KNOWING it could be a problem. Both of these issues without discussing with me first. I wasn’t at all concerned about that ding as it wasn’t in the driver's sight and was about the size of a pencil tip. Now it is a long crack that has caused me stress in trying to deal with the people with this company. The managers are more interested in protecting the company than dealing with extremely unhappy customers. I am also voicing my concerns with my insurance company, who sent Safelite in the first place.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I took my vehicle in to have a small chip on the windshield repaired. On returning home, noticed there was now a crack 2 inches in one direction off the chip, and an additional crack approximately 1 inch on the other side. I was not happy about this but had been told it was a possible side-effect of the repair, so accepted it. One of the small cracks has since blossomed into a foot long crack extending across the windshield necessitating its replacement. I phoned Safelite on 2 occasions and was bumped upstairs to their executive customer service. The replacement cost of my windshield is over 500. It is not covered by my insurance.

Safelite took the line that this is a rare event and not their fault, along with several condescending conversations about the dynamics of windshield glass. My request was that they help with the replacement cost. Their argument was this happens <1% of the time, so not their problem. My argument: since it happens rarely, is as likely to have been the fault of the repair as unseen damage, the appropriate customer service response is to assist with the cost of repair. They were unwilling to help. This is the first time in my life I have gone to the trouble of writing a negative review for a company, however, this was an exceptionally poor experience. What should have been a free repair on a small rock chip, will now cost 500.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Safelite assured me that they would have the rear window for my car and be at my house at the scheduled time. Called at the time scheduled to report that they didn't have my window in stock! Really poor service. They should have looked that up at the time they set the appointment several days earlier. No excuse for that sort of lousy service. Will never use Safelite again. Going with a local auto glass repair shop. Should have done that from the start. Ignore Safelite's glitzy TV ad campaign. They're NOT reliable from my experience!

Safelite AutoGlass Company Information