3.8/5 (596 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Safelite AutoGlass Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelite AutoGlass?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelite AutoGlass?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I would not recommend having work done with Safelite Auto Glass at the McKinney, Texas location, for the following reasons; Manager was angry and annoyed from the introduction with our claim, that morning... Informing myself and spouse they were under staff, and stated that the glass for the replacement of our Windshield was not in, ...And that we would need to reschedule the appointment...(We called the day before reference the windshield at the Plano warehouse and it had been since delivered to the Safelite address in McKinney....Only after pressing him (manager) did he go back in his warehouse to confirm and check. (I did it online 8/20/2022 with appointment schedule 9/1/2022.) Later at the time of closing (James) Technician informed it was his last day and that they were unable to calibrate the windshield after several attempts....(Why tell us it's his last day?)

Earlier that morning the manager further stated that they would waive the $250 dollar deductible because of their lack of communication among their staff and miscues...As long as we gave the technician a unblemished score of 9/10s which ultimately affected their pay....We were called at approximately 5:30 pm that evening and we needed to be there to pickup the vehicle, by 7:00 pm ultimately arriving 30 minutes later at 6:00 pm noticing the windshield was in place. I observed through the window at time of pickup no attempt to recalibrate had been observed...James further stated we needed to go to the dealership to have it calibrated....And made no attempt to explain or have a remedy to the situation. To add insult to injury they tore the toll tag off the old windshield and haphazardly slapped it crookedly on the glass leaving also the large window sticker of the new glass on....

I went back in to complain on the shoddy workmanship and asked the manager what about "attention to detail"...That request fell ultimately fell on deaf ears and he stated I could order a new toll tag....It was apparent everyone wanted to get off work as it was the last car for the day.... The following day at Hyundai/Genesis .. The technician (dealership) informed us that it took approximately 2.5 to 4 hours to recalibrate which they accomplished. The Technician (Hawk) further added that they most likely did not attempt or did not have the software for the diagnostic check....to begin with.

I subsequently ended paying $338.00 dollars for the calibration getting reimbursed which ultimately set us out not only the $250 deductible payback but an additional $88.00,...Thankfully USAA our banking institution made us whole. I sent a letter to USAA explaining the very poor customer service and workmanship with this particular location....Finally I would highly recommend those out there to go to their dealership for glass issues....

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I recently had my rear windshield broken by vandals throwing a cinder block through it while I was in a parking garage. Called the police, then my insurance company who told me I could call whatever glass company I wanted, or I could use Safelite and they would schedule the repair. I was stranded in a parking garage with just a cell phone, so I opted for Safelite. The earliest they could take me was 2 days later! No coming out to where I was like they show in their commercials. So I had to drive 30 miles home, on highways and bumpy back roads, with glass flying out the back where the window used to be.

When I got home, I had to tape a tarp over the window to keep out rain. Got the window replaced but they did not clean the glass out of the trunk or the back seat of the car. I vacuumed the best I could (not having the powerful industrial strength vacuums I’m sure they had) and 6 weeks later, I’m still finding pieces of glass. I even had to take my granddaughter’s car seat apart to get all the glass out of the cracks, nooks and crannies. What a pain. I would never patronize this company again. Never.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

Idaho Falls, ID location: DO NOT I repeat do not give this company a minute of your time or a dime of your money, I scheduled on 8/22 to have my half broken windshield to be replaced 9/2 (fastest time). They call on 9/1 saying they need to reschedule and can't have it done until 9/20. Are you freaking kidding me? 18 days later and a month with a half cracked windshield, absolutely 1,000% ridiculous they clearly had zero intentions replacing my windshield when that appointment was made and left me waiting around and driving an unsafe truck for 10 days with zero regards for safety. I contacted a lawyer for safety and we will reporting this to the BBB and anywhere else I can.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

The company is sending out false mobile appointment messages and appointment statuses leading customers (me) to believe work is actually in process and/or completed. I called the company 5 separate times with 30 minutes in between each call hoping the hang-ups were a computer glitch. Unfortunately, I think not. :( The calls kept getting disconnected while on I was on hold. What a shame... I have used this company and particular service for years. I sure hope this default can be corrected quickly and painlessly.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Major Insurance companies are relying on Safelite to be the primary glass replacement or repair company. For multiple claims I have experienced in this insurance field, Safelite is unprofessional, rude, no show for scheduled appointments and causes damage to customer vehicles. Safelite Corporate needs to revamp their entire system from initial contact to scheduling to final repairs. Poor service - I will never personally use them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

My brand new car, 11 miles on it, new, was in the dealer for some additional features added. The technician cracked the windshield. We were told it could be 10-15 days before a new windshield could get here. We left for vacation to return 3 weeks later and no windshield, no update. After finding out all new windshields were sent to the factory for new cars, so therefore our dealership was last priority, my wife got a quote from Safelite. Long story short, Safelite replaced the windshield without compromising all the safety protects like lane departure and collision avoidance. Safelite fixed my windshield for the dealership, when the factory could not. A year later and all is good.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Hubby set up an appointment on a Wednesday to have a repair. When he got there, they said, "Sorry the crack is too far near the edge so you need it replaced." Fine. So he set up an appointment for them to come out and they said they'd waive the charge for that since he came all the way there after being told on the phone they could fix a crack a couple of inches long like he described. So he takes off work and waits the entire day and by 4 PM still no one shows up. He finally calls and they deny any of it ever happened and called him a liar. Wow. Never had a place say something like that before. I guess we'll look for someone who respects their customers. It sounds like they don't care.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

This is fourth time we had to use this company for broken windshield. We own several vehicles and dump trucks are not checked enough by police. Safelite customer service is horrible. Tried to reach out due to them sending technicians with cheap Chinese replacement glass instead of original glass for high end vehicles. They cannot be reached in person on phone and if you get someone after waiting 20 min, person is rude. Phone takes clients in circles, technicians do not call ahead as promised. The safelite operator says their phone is having issues… this is a repeated answer!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

The quality at the Port Charlotte FL location is....well for lack of better description....piss poor. My wife’s 2019 jeep windshield was replaced on 8/2. When she brought the car home after the work she wanted me to look at her windshield wipers. I did and noticed right away they were not timed correctly; they were crossing one another. So of course, I took a deeper dive at the job and noticed the trim at the lower edge of the new glass was damaged. This trim is part of the new glass, it is not off the old glass so clearly it should not be chipped up, cracked, and have what looks like it was gripped with some kind of pliers, which is exactly what it looked like. I also noticed some minor scratches in the paint and where the "technician" was leaning on the car his sweat was left behind on the front edge of the roof, both fenders and hood at both sides of the vehicle and he left his safety glasses in the cabin of the vehicle.

I brought the jeep back right away to show the issues. Immediately management wanted to deny any issues. They could not see any issues with the wiper arms, yet it was clearly obvious they were crossed over each other. They said the car needed a wash and that the sweat makes were not from the “technician” and the scratches were there before any work was done. They tried to discount the damaged trim as if it’s not a big deal.

I did inform the person who was ready to just argue nothing is wrong that this is not correct. When the vehicle came in there was no damage to the window trim, the glass was replaced because of a rock impact that resulted in a long crack. The wipers did not go out of time by themselves and the sweat smears and scratches did not appear by themselves. It is clear the “technician” does not have enough of pride in his work that he never checked his work. If he had checked his work, he would have found the timing issue with the wipers, he would have wiped down where ever he had touched the car and would not have damaged the new glass when he installed it. Secondly if there is a “quality control” within the store, that department failed. Then management to try to deny?

They assume all the customers are ignorant of how things should work. This is a big mistake. I just retired from the automotive repair industry, at many of the places I worked at, this would be a fileable offence. They did agree to re-replace the glass on 8/8 and during the time I was showing the crappy work agreed to retime the wipers right then and there. So as of now the wipers do work correctly, I’ll inconveniently drop off the car to have the crap work reworked on 8/8 and hope someone else who actually cares about the work they do does the job.

Original review: July 30, 2022

Safelite replaced my cracked windshield. But they failed to properly seal it, resulting in water seepage and some serious electrical damage. They refused to pay, citing their warranty required me to notify them before making any repairs. But what they don't consider is:

1....the fact that we couldn't have known what the cause of the electrical issues were until after the repair shop removed the dash and found a rusted out fuse box (on a new 2 year old Honda HRV). It was then that the mechanic determined that water had been seeping in under the dash and causing the electrical issues. It was a direct result of the windshield not being sealed properly.

2....Even if we had known the cause, we could not have made an emergency appointment with Safelite prior to the repairs because their calendar was already full. And I sure didn't want to wait any longer on repairing my car. It is my daily transportation.

When I did eventually return to have the faulty windshield replaced, they only re-sealed the existing windshield rather than replacing it. Because Safelite refuses to acknowledge any responsibility, I am having to sue them for the cost of repairs and legal fees. I will never use Safelite again and can never recommend them because of their sloppy work and fake warranty. Now I am having to sue for the cost of repairs.

Original review: July 25, 2022

7/25/2022 2:00PM. When the technician arrived, I made a point of showing him the end seals for the glass which were inside the hatchback door on the respective sides of the vehicle so he could reinstall them. He finished his work and left. I needed to remove some items from the rear of the car. When I opened the hatchback, there was a trim retainer laying there as well as a bunch of the glass pieces from the broken glass. On inspection, I found that the left side trim did not fit as tight as the right side so I assumed that it came from that side. When I pulled the trim panel to install the retainer, I saw that he did not connect the right side wire for the glass heater. With the trim off, I also could see that he did not remove the tape he used to hold the glass in place when he installed it.

I found that the molder rubber end seals were not installed and they were nowhere to be found. Apparently, he took them with him. Without those seals, water tracks horizontally along the glass to the end. With the seals, it is stopped from coming back into the car. Without the seals, water will collect in the hatch back interior of the car. I am very disappointed with Safelite Auto Glass service this time.

Original review: July 23, 2022

Ordered and scheduled an appointment seven (7) weeks ago. It was cancelled and I was told the replacement glass has not come in yet. Scheduled twice more (on my own) and was called again and told that they would call when the part came in. Still no word, no callback, no re-schedule and no replacement. I have called back three times with no results - again, 7 weeks. Went to a local glass place (Daniels Glass) and received immediate service and replacement. Don't claim what you can't provide, and don't get so big that you lose customers for lack of communication. Very disappointing.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Do not use Safelite in Fairless Hills, PA. The technician Joseph came to my house very friendly at first, stated that he was going to try to fix the crack in my windshield, but due to location he may not be able to get the machine on to fix it. Said he will call me if he is unable to do so. Asked me to sign a form verifying he was doing the job (form was covered by other papers and his cell phone so just thought it was a "he was here" form.) Go inside and get a call a few minutes later. He asked me to come out to discuss options since he could not get the machine on my windshield to fix the crack.

Come outside, he put the machine on and made a huge crack in my windshield. Told me that it is now compromised, I cannot drive and now I have to pay for a new windshield due to the damage he caused. I asked why I have to pay for something he did and he said well you signed the contract. I asked for the "contract" he stated and he would not let me see the clipboard.

When he finally gave it to me I was about 2 sentences in from reading and he ripped it out of my hands getting loud saying "are you getting a new windshield or what." I said I would like to read that and asked for a copy. He threw the paper and my keys at me, said I'm not dealing with this got in his car and drove off. Called the customer service who proceeded to tell me that it's not their problem that their technician damaged my windshield beyond repair, they didn't charge me for the repair and there is nothing they are going to do. The woman on the phone was extremely snippy, and got the manager on the line.

Manager was nicer, but still proceeded to tell me even though his tech made significant damage to my windshield that should've been a repair and now I have to replace it, that he didn't charge me so they are not going to do anything. The whole team is extremely unprofessional, did not apologize when they messed up and treat you poorly. If you are looking for good customer service do not go here. I am now left with a huge crack in my windshield that will cost me thousands to fix.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I received a phone call from the technician first thing in the morning stating he will be at my home at around 3 PM and will call me and give me an hour Leadway. My schedule time was between 12 and five at 5:30. I text the technician. He told me that he’s not coming to my house. He got wet and he’s no longer finishing his work. I received no phone call and waiting around for six hours!!! This company thinks the customer's time has no value. Do Not use this company. They are just a fortune 500 company. You’re no longer number one as a customer. You're just a number bad service. Communication is the key and all successful businesses. I’m sure their work is just like their communication. Very bad. For reading the other reviews I can say it was.

Original review: July 8, 2022

My appointment was scheduled 8 days out between 1-6pm. I had to schedule to be home all day to wait. At 2:15 I get a call from the company saying they had to cancel and reschedule for another week out. The man who called thought he would be smooth calling me baby. I would never use this company. I was warned by several people not to use them. I should have listened.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I came to the Safelite shop at 4200 N. Dupont Hwy Dover, Delaware to replace my Toyota Rav4 windshield on 6/25/2022 (Saturday). They have an additional windshield wipers replacement service. I thought it is nice to have an extra pair of wipers, so let them replace the wipers and requested to have my original wipers back. Not only did they do a slopy job and rude, they didn't give my original windshield wipers back. I insisted to have my wipers, they gave wrong ones and couldn't find my original ones. I had to come back on Monday (6/27/2022) to get my wipers.

The rude lady gave back only the blades. I asked if the wiper arms were replaced, she said only the blades were replaced. I came back home and realized that they changed the wiper arms, and my original wiper blades don't fit. I need to get my original wiper arms back. I'll complain this to BBB and other venues as well if they ignore my request. Please suggest where else is good for complaint.

Original review: June 21, 2022

So I used Charlottesville VA store as they were closest to us. They came out to my house to replace my 2020 Explorer ST cracked windshield on a Friday afternoon.. After almost 4 hours I was asked if they could come back on Monday. It turned out the windshield they got had the wrong style heat element wiring. So this left me with a SUV I couldn't drive for the weekend. But I was promised it would be fixed Monday. Monday rolls around and I received a text the tech would be onsite between 1-5. When 5pm came and went I called the manager Everet at the local store, and he said they didn't have me on the books for today. When I explained my car was undrivable, he promised to send someone out first thing in the morning.

Tuesday rolls around and the tech comes out and addresses the crack windshield. However when trying to reassemble my SUV, he was left with an extra screw and 2 panels in the interior. He could not figure out how to put them back and a missing rain sensor, that the other tech kept and forgot to give it to him. After 2 hours being on the phone with his techs in the store, he explained I would need to bring the car into the shop to fix. So I drove the hour to the store and met with the manager. He was sorry for the trouble and agreed to refund me 150.00 dollars for the recalibration fee they charged me 250.00 dollars for.

Note: Ford only charges 100.00 for the same recalibration. Well it has been 2 months and many phone calls of unkept promises from the manager. And still no refund for the worst SafeLite experience ever. I would not recommend this store, except for a girl tech named Anne, who was able to figure out the 2 interior panels and install the forgotten sensor in about 20mins.

Original review: June 13, 2022

Safelite won't repair, Safelite won't replace. They were supposed to come to my business today, 6-13-22, between the hours of 8AM and Noon. No show, no call. I contacted customer service and they said the technician isn't answering the phone. I called back later and they said the local office isn't answering their calls, but they would ask the technician (yeah, the one not answering calls) to call me. I spent the morning relocating the car to shaded areas since they can't work on a hot windshield.

Original review: June 12, 2022

My appointment yesterday in Rancho Cordova, Ca. was for 1-5pm, they did not show up or contact me. NOT HAPPY! I expect way more from a company a large as Safelite is. I can't believe they this is how they conduct their business.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Scheduled windshield replacement for today June 2nd between 8am-12pm. I rearranged my agenda accordingly. At 11am I am thinking that 12pm is only an hour away so I click the link in the text from last night to see if there was any updates and the appointment that was scheduled was no longer there! Just gone like it never existed. SO unprofessional and inconsiderate.

Original review: May 27, 2022

The company double billed me and refused to help. Their customer service rep hung up on me and the billing department suggested I wait a week to see what happens as they cannot see a double bill on their end. Since I paid with my ATM card I had to run to my bank before the start of a holiday weekend and cancel my card and get a new one.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I have a new Ram truck that got a chip in the front window right after I bought it. I took it to Safelite located at 26175 Jefferson Ave, Murrieta, CA on March 18, 2022 and after talking to the Rep. I decided to get the chip filled instead of a window replacement.

I was told if I didn’t like the results they would apply what I paid ($123.83) for the chip repair toward the cost of a new window if I was buying it or to the copay if I was going through my insurance. Needless to say I didn’t like the results so I called my insurance company and opened a case to replace my window with factory glass. On April 9th, 2022, I went down to the same Safelite office I mentioned above to get my window replaced.

When I got there I thought I would just have to pay the difference from my $250 insurance co-pay and the $123.83 that I already paid. But they told me I had to pay my full insurance co-pay ($250) so there would be no issue with the insurance company complaining as to why I didn’t pay the full co-pay and then I would get $123.83 refunded back to me. Will I waited for weeks and never got any refund. So I called Safelite to ask why I haven’t received my refund yet.

Let me say, trying to get through Safelite’s automated phone system to speak to a person is ridiculous. When I finally got through to a person, I was told they don’t do that and I will not be getting a refund.

Will, I wasn’t happy and told her that “Safelite just ripped me off then and it seemed like they scammed me like a shady sales company would do to get an extra $123.83 out of me.”

I would have never agreed to get the chip repaired with my new truck had I known this would have happened. I had it less than a month and would have just gotten the window replaced from the beginning.

The person I talked to on the phone was flippant with me and said she would have the site Manager where I had the repair done call me and I never received nothing.

I’ve used Safelite many times over the years and even when my insurance company ask me to use another company I told them I wanted Safelite but now, how could I ever recommend or use Safelite again? They just ripped me off! We all see the Safelite commercials and to be honest if they can rip me off they can rip you off as well. Beware!!!

Original review: April 30, 2022

If you have this branch replacing your window, BEWARE!!! They were scheduled to do a rear glass replacement at my home. Before the appointment, I vacuumed all excess glass from the rear door area. My rear door was fully functional. I then left the van parked for the remainder of the week (4 days) only duct taping plastic over the damaged rear window. My wife was home when the technician arrived. After working on the replacement for an hour, the technician tells my wife that the rear door will not open/close. He tells her that he has to take it to the shop (15 min. drive w/traffic) across town. 3.5hrs later, my wife texts me at work telling me that the technician still has not brought the van back. She then calls the technician asking where is he with the van. He responded that he'll bring the van back. A total of 4hrs had passed that the van was taken from our home.

Upon returning the van, the technician told my wife that the door was STILL unfunctional, gave her a receipt and left. When I got home from work (10min after the tech left), she tried to explain what the tech explained. The next day (on a Sat.), I went to the location to question the details, but nobody was there that knew the details. Went back there on Mon (after work) and spoke with the Assist. Mngr. He explained that the "story" that they are sticking to and he ended it by saying, "There's nothing we can do about it. It's mechanical. We only replace windows." He suggested I take it to the dealership to get the door fixed. The first incident of them denying responsibility for damaging my rear door. Now at this time, there was no paperwork or report detailing anything that was being said that documented what happened with my van.

After going to the dealership (and an additional $160 later), the dealership diagnosed the door issue (in 30min) and showed me that the door will not function because it was misaligned. They gave me documentation of the diagnosed findings. I returned to the Cherry Hill location, with the documentation, explained what was discovered. I was told that the manager would give me a call on Mon. I received no call on Mon. I called Tues-Thurs with the same result; automated voice service that leads to an ended call never speaking to any person.

The following Tues, I appeared back at the location and reluctantly spoke to the same Assist. Mngr. that I had spoken to before. Now that I have proven this responsibility falls on them, he asked me what am I looking forward to resolve this. I said that I want my door fixed and reimbursement of the $160 spent for the dealership diagnosis. This begins 2nd incident of them denying responsibility. He continuously attempts apologizing but still "sticking to the story" and tells me that he will have the manager call me. When the manager called, I explained to him all of the facts:

1. The door was functioning perfect before the tech arrived for the appointment.
2. The tech worked on the window replacement, for an hour, at my home claiming the door was not functioning after the window was replaced.
3. The tech took my van from my home, to the shop for 4hrs, returning the van STILL with the door not functioning. Presenting my wife with only a receipt of payment.

4. Following the advice of Safelite, I took the van to the dealership and the dealership was able to determine the door is misaligned and provided documentation of their findings.

I then asked the manager where is the documentation of his tech's findings. The manager admitted that there is none, but began "back-peddling" by saying, "The receipt is documentation." From this point on, the manager refused to admit responsibility. I then demanded that he present every document that the office has on file in reference to the service of my van ready for me to pickup after I get out of work. All that was provided, was a computer version of the receipt of payment. No report or documentation, of any kind, has been presented as evidence that there was no fault on their behalf.

Original review: April 25, 2022

Had windshield replaced in 2021. This was in shop work. Scheduled 2 to 3 hours. Dropped off at scheduled AM time. Went back at closing time not ready. 2022 chip - canceled my appointment afternoon appoinment.

Original review: April 8, 2022

Was scheduled for Safelite to come to my home to replace windshield. They called day of canceled, rescheduled for me to come to them so I went to my appointment and they said, "Don't have your down and don't have your windshield." I filed complaint that I believe they should compensate me for wasting my time 2 different days and gas for 1hr total Drive I had to do for nothing, they told me Thomas will be calling me within 24/48 hrs, been over week nothing been on this. For almost month now they say they care and pride what they do but they don't. Something needs to be done because like they just tossing it side.

Original review: April 7, 2022

Just one month after replacing a 20 year old windshield, the new one just cracked. The car has no chip damage. This must have been an inferior glass or defective. I never read their warranty because I trusted the Miele work. Now I know better. Should have had it done at Toyota

Original review: April 4, 2022

I've heard all kinds of horror stories about this company. I'm finding out firsthand that they are true. I bought a 2019 Toyota with a replacement safelight windshield. It's now leaking and has filled car up with water. If you buy a pre owned car have a certified mechanic check the windshield. If it's an aftermarket safelight windshield don't buy the car. The warranty is not transferable. The windshield has less that 25k miles on it. Now I'm stuck with a huge repair bill. BEWARE!! Terrible company. Read and believe the bad reviews.

Original review: April 2, 2022

1st appt. they didn’t show. No call. 2nd appt. called 1 hour into the 8-12 time slot to say part is on backorder. I’d showed up to work 90 early to make the 8:00, again. 3rd appt. they scheduled it during a 8-12 slot where I had to deliver a. Webinar 10-11. Left message with office that key would be with receptionist, right inside office door. Tech called 10:40. I didn’t answer so they didn’t show. I called at 11:00 and he said he couldn’t return and that I should use a different company. He was busy. 4th appt. he shows and replaces the windshield. Left most of broken glass inside the vehicle. I complained to customer service. They linked me with Manassas Mgr. He asked see pics of the broken glass but gave me a bad email. I had confirmed what he gave me. Was without vehicle for 6 weeks. Literally the worse experience with any business in my 60 years.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Allstate made an appointment for these people to fix our windshield. They gave us a window of time 1-5. So we waited and waited, and waited. So we called the help line and of course they were closed. Not only did they not show, but not even any communication or an apology for wasting our time! I guess our time was not important. Terrible business practice. Chico Ca.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I've been working on my 1998 Ford E150 for about 7 months now restoring it and preparing it for travel around the US. I've reached the point where I'm about to paint the van and decided to have the windshield replaced due to some scratches and a couple of small chips. It did not need to be replaced but figured since I'm restoring it and before I paint it, it would be nice to have new glass to look out of.

I used the Safelite website to order the replacement glass, ordered it for $425.67 (incl. FL tax) and was provided a date for installation - cool. The date arrives, the tech comes at ~8:15AM looks for rust around the windshield, sees none, then proceeds to pull the windshield out. Awesome, I'm going to have new glass today!

After about 10 minutes I go out to see how things were going and the tech tells me he's glad I came out, he found some rust under the molding and should be able to sand it out and prime it for the seal to take. Perfect. Can't wait for it to be done. Another 20 mins goes by and I go back outside to see where things are at and the tech informs me that there is a small hole where the rust was and he cannot install the windshield. I said "I can fix that in no time. A little body filler and primer/paint and we’ll be good.” And the installer tells me they will not install the windshield with body filler used. Instead the tech informs me I should have the vehicle towed to a local body shop (~$120.00), have them cut out the metal, weld in new metal (~$300.00+), then they'll come back out to install the glass (for a total of ~$850).

OK, so what if I don't have the money to pay another ~$500.00 to have this done? Oh I'll tell you what... They expect you to be without a vehicle until you do. I was left with a vehicle with no windshield and some sticky plastic to cover the hole. So Safelite comes out, rips my windshield out, leaves me with no vehicle, and expects that I’m going to have the vehicle towed so someone else can repair the frame? OK, who's going to pay for all that?! Well you are of course.

I get it, they want to avoid any liability in the future. OK fair enough. However, they left my van with a giant hole in it NOW, far bigger than the hole the size go a 5-penny nail. I live in FL where it pours at the drop of a hat and they're going to leave me with NO windshield? What in the actual... Low and behold, it pours that night. I was up at 3AM because I heard it raining, I go outside to check if water is leaking in… it was. I had to pull the van halfway into the garage because it won't fit with the exhaust fan that was recently installed. Now I have to leave the garage door open while I'm sleeping so the inside of the van won't get wet by leaking through the plastic put over the gigantic hole they left to leak and were so afraid of happening in the future.

This is absolutely unacceptable and I do not blame the tech, they’re following Safelite policy. I blame Safelite for their terrible policy of leaving people without a vehicle, a giant hole where the windshield sits, in a state where it pours daily, and expect the customer to fork over money for a tow before they finish what they started. I called the local Safelite office and immediately asked for a refund. They cancelled the order, which when pre-paid issues a refund. I’ve not seen the refund come through yet but apparently from what I’ve read, when a refund is issued you do not get the entire payment back — yeah, let that happen.

I called the corporate office to speak with someone about how to proceed and was informed because there’s a small amount rust, nothing can be done until it’s “professionally” fixed. I asked to speak with a manager, was put on hold for about 10 minutes and was told they were on the line with someone else and I would get a call back. 2 hours went by and I called again and was put through to the district manager (DM). I informed the DM how dissatisfied I was for being left in this position: stranded to my home with no windshield to get anywhere. It could be weeks before someone got to my van. I went to a mechanic to have some things looked at and it was 2 weeks before they could get me in.

The DM said they would call the local shop to see what they could do for me and stated they didn’t answer so they left them a VM; I should hear from someone soon, they said. It’s now been 5 hours since that conversation and I’ve heard nothing from anyone. I’m so beside myself with this. As a former business owner and contractor, I would NEVER put a paying customer in such a position and, to me, it’s absolutely unacceptable. The lifetime warranty is already void because of the issue, therefore, let them fix it and sign a waiver of liability. You do not leave them stranded and force them to pay hundreds more.

What if someone didn’t have the money? Money is not the issue here for me, it’s principle. I’ve done plenty of body work in my days and I know that Butyl sticks to pretty much EVERYTHING, not just factory painted metal. I will never use this company again and I won’t ever recommend them to anyone. Great customer service, Safelite. Absolutely horrendous.

Safelite AutoGlass Company Information