Get Pricing

ACCREDITED PARTNER

4.4/5 (521 ratings)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service contract provider. The company's goal is to eliminate the worry of being financially responsible for an expensive mechanical breakdown. With a Protect My Car extended auto warranty, you don’t have to worry about being fully burdened with the cost of a covered repair.

Pros

• Specialized plan for older cars
    • Low down payment
    • Long payment plan

Cons

• Not offered in all states
    • Mileage limits on lower side

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 10 years old with up to 125,000 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Top Protect My Car Reviews

Verified

It has been a pleasure to work with the reps. They are kind, courteous and informative. Submitting claims has been quick. They have been right on it. They work with you. The quali...

Verified

I did a little research and I found out that Protect My Car was the best value for the money so I went with them. They explained what the contract was all about. They told me how ...

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is an extended auto warranty company. It offers a variety of plans that cover both newer vehicles and older, high-mileage vehicles. Protect My Car directly administers its policies, meaning you don’t have to work with a middleman or seek third-party approval.

Protect My Car payment

You can request a free online quote from Protect My Car. The company has an average down payment of $69, which is low compared with other car warranty companies. The daily cost for a Protect My Car plan averages from around $2 to $2.50, and the deductible for its vehicle service contract is $100 or $200 for all covered parts, repairs and labor. The company’s Ambassador plans, which are geared toward maintenance, have a deductible of either 25% or 50% of the costs for covered parts, repairs and labor.

Protect My Car has a 30-day money-back guarantee. This is standard among extended auto warranty companies and allows you to cancel your plan in the first 30 days. This is helpful in case you decide that a car warranty isn’t right for you. Because Protect My Car is a direct provider, it can work directly with you to come up with a payment plan.

Protect My Car warranty plans

Protect My Car has six plans: three traditional extended auto plans and three maintenance-focused plans. Its traditional plans cover vehicles with fewer than 125,000 miles and under 10 years of age:

• The Driveline plan is designed for vehicles with over 80,000 miles. It covers the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, air conditioning and heating, cooling system and electrical system.
    • The Select plan offers everything the Driveline plan offers, plus coverage for the front and rear suspension and select brake system components.
    • The Supreme plan covers everything covered in the Select plan, plus the turbocharger. Navigation system coverage is optional. This plan is the closest Protect My Car offers to a manufacturer’s warranty on a new car.

All Protect My Car warranty plans include roadside assistance, rental car coverage, oil changes and tire rotations. See the table below for differences in these plans.

DrivelineSelectSupreme
    Front and rear suspension
    Select brake system components
    Turbocharger
    NavigationOptional
    Driveline
    Select
    SupremeOptional

The Ambassador plans are designed for most vehicles, regardless of the model year or the mileage. Protect My Car refers to Ambassador plans as “maintenance plans,” but they also cover breakdowns, paying a percentage of the cost of repairs.

Ambassador plans cover the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, front and rear suspension, cooling system, electrical system, heating and cooling systems, select brake components, the timing chain and the turbocharger. They also include three oil changes per year, two tire rotations and rental car reimbursement.

• The Ambassador Platinum plan has a deductible of 25% of the cost of repairs.
    • The Ambassador Elite plan has a deductible of 50% of the cost of repairs.
    • The Ambassador Pro plan has a deductible of 50% of the cost of repairs, but it doesn’t include roadside assistance.

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car’s extended auto warranty plans cover vehicles up to 10 years old and with up to 125,000 miles. Once you sign up for a plan, you have to wait 30 days before making a claim. Roadside assistance is available immediately. Ambassador policyholders have a 15-day waiting period.

Protect My Car’s roadside assistance comes with all Protect My Car vehicle service contracts and is also available with two of its three Ambassador plans. This includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump-starts. If your car is in the shop for repairs for four hours or longer, Protect My Car provides rental car reimbursement.

Protect My Car does not offer coverage for vehicles in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Protect My Car FAQ

What does Protect My Car cover?
    Protect My Car offers three vehicle service contract plans: Driveline, Select and Supreme. Each covers the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, differential assembly, cooling system, air conditioning and heating, electrical system and timing chain. The Select plan adds coverage for the front and rear suspension and select brake components. The Supreme plan covers everything in the Select plan, plus the turbocharger. All plans include roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, oil changes and tire rotations.
    Who owns Protect My Car?
    Crestview Partners, a private equity firm, acquired Protect My Car in September 2018.
    How do I cancel a Protect My Car policy?
    You can cancel a Protect My Car policy by calling the company. You may be required to fill out a cancellation form and send it to Protect My Car. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund, minus claims paid and an administrative fee. Keep in mind that if you sell your car, you may be able to transfer your policy to the new owner. Call Protect My Car if you want to transfer the contract.

Is Protect My Car legit?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, the company offers flexible payment options. Its Driveline, Select and Supreme plans offer a wide variety of coverages that will please most customers. The Ambassador plans appeal to those with older cars or cars with higher mileage. Plus, the contract waiting period for Ambassador plans is only 15 days. Overall, Protect My Car is a solid choice for those seeking an extended car warranty.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I originally called Protect My Car and told them that my heat wasn't working. They said it could be a heat coil, and to bring it into the dealer to get it done. When the dealer took a closer look at it, they said that there had been anti-freeze leaking back into my engine into where my spark plugs were. Protect My Car said to send over all the paperwork so they could get it approved.

When I sent those, the representative told me that I wasn't being honest. There was one oil change receipt from a local mom-and-pop shop that didn't look like a receipt to her. It was handwritten, and because of that, it took them an extra week and a half to approve my claim in order to get my car started, which then caused the engine that was coming all the way from Michigan from the Ford factory to be delayed. It left me without my car for almost a month. To add insult to injury, they only covered me for $150 for a rental car so I was stuck with a $2,000 rental car bill. Nobody could help and do anything to minimize that. Had Protect My Car done what they were supposed to do on the same day that I gave them every document that they asked for, I would have had my car a lot sooner than December 23th, that rental car bill would have been a lot cheaper, and I'd probably be a happier customer.

I was very unhappy with the way that the staff, mainly the higher-up, handled the situation and lack thereof. The representative that was in charge would tell the people at the dealer that she was trying to get ahold of me and was calling me. She never did. I was trying to call her. I would have to go through my actual car dealership. I even went as far as going over to the mom-and-pop shop to speak to the guy there and explain what was going on.

I felt that Protect My Car, being that the work was going to cost about 5,000, could have done a little bit more to help me out, especially knowing that they dragged their feet and it was their fault because I wasn't approved. I couldn't even pay my monthly payment for January and they've been calling me like crazy telling me that my payment hasn't gone through. I know it hasn't gone through because I'm still paying off the rental car bill. The other people that worked with me, as far as the customer care reps, were great and very helpful.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We do regret that you feel the approval and verification process was unnecessary. It is, however, an important part of the process and unavoidable when a a licensed shop issues a hand written receipt without the appropriate information on it. There really is no reason for a licensed professional shop not to issue a receipt that meets the standards in the industry. We hope you will understand that the blame for the delay in getting approval for your claim rests with the shop that would ask a customer to accept such a receipt.

We certainly hope your next claim will go a lot smoother.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I was calling a supposed number of Chase Bank that a rep gave me and I wound up calling Protect my Car. Their rep told me about their warranty and how it's a really good deal at a great price. He told me that their coverage protects my car and said what they could do for me. He ended up asking for my credit card and selling me their warranty. They sent me all the paperwork. So far, I'm happy with the warranty I got.

Before I got Protect My Car, I had received many spammer calls asking me if I wanted to get an auto warranty. I talked with reps from different companies and discussed their warranties with them. Other warranty companies wanted me to pay an enormous amount of money up front. Alternatively, they wanted me to pay a startup fee and I would then have the warranty for 14 days to review it and make sure I wanna keep it. Then, they would charge me a couple of thousand dollars. I never went with them and I got discouraged from them repeatedly calling me after I requested that they remove me from their call list.

With Protect my Car, I used their warranty, took my car to a dealership and they gave me a loaner car. When I left my service advisor my Protect My Car identification card and told him to contact them if there were any repairs that needed to be done, he called me and said that he had not been able to reach Protect My Car and that he had been on hold for an hour. He said this was one of the reasons why he did not prefer to use warranty companies. I told him that I can call or send an email to the representative that I normally deal with and that rep could get someone to call him back. I got into contact with Tara and she made arrangements for a rep to call my service advisor and get everything processed. This problem could have been due to the time of day or I brought my car to the dealership on a day of the week when Protect My Car had a large amount of phone calls. Still, Tara was able to get things resolved and approved.

The dealership diagnosed all kinds of things and determined that things needed to be done. My car needed electrical work. They also recommended that I get two new tires. I just paid for my deductible and for the tires and Protect my Car covered everything else. I've only had good experiences with this company and it's due to the rep I've been dealing with. She has a great personality and cares about dealing with people. She is a customer service specialist who is committed to Protect My Car and her job. There was a time when I called in to cancel my coverage and I talked to her. She resolved issues and told me to stay in contact with her for any concerns and she would help make sure everything is okay.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.
      We do work hard to make sure this protection is affordable for everyone’s budget. It’s all part of not just doing the right thing, but doing things right for each customer.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Before this pandemic started, Protect My Car explained to me that it was a good coverage, that you could save money if something was to fail. The guy that I was speaking with was really good. But then, he left a few things out when I first got it that I wasn’t in knowledge of, but we got it taken care of. But before that, he told me everything that I have and told me everything that was correct. He acted professionally. It was just some things that he left out that I think that he didn’t intentionally do. It was just we both were moving fast.

He moved fast, trying to get my service, and he might have left a few things out that I needed to know to get it started with them. Because when I took my car to mechanic, they said, “Hey, you gotta wait at least these many days before taking the car to…” I wasn’t aware of that. So, they did a recording and they found that he didn’t explain it to me in the telephone call. So, they called me back and said, I could go ahead and take my car to the mechanic shop because I was right, he didn’t explain it to me.

I felt that he lied to me about one part that I had called in for. I used Protect My Car to get the car fixed, and I paid the other half. It was like he did a good job because he said it was this one thing, but then it came out to be another thing, and then I just was like, “Hey, since you really don’t know what you’re doing, just don’t put regular struts on it.” Because I got the airbag on my car. And after it kept falling on me, after the mechanic was supposed to replace the suspension airbag, then the compressor air pump came, which with the central airbag, they really didn’t get me out of that. And then, because I didn’t use Protect My Car for the compressor pump, I paid 350 extra for it. And then once the mechanic put that on there, it lit up and then it went back down all the time. So, I got with a family friend who told that I could switch them out from the airbag to the regular shock.

I was having a difficult time with issues with the car, and then not being able to take it to a mechanic shop due to all this COVID-19 stuff, and me not working. My job was cutting people off, and then my car started to act up. I’m not too far behind. I may probably be about a payment behind, and I was like, “Can I take it to a mechanic and still use your service?” And they were like, “No. You have to be caught up to date with it.” Also, I’ve been reaching out to them due to the COVID-19 with trying to make the payments. And there was something else that they told me. I called in the other day and spoke with someone, and they did really good on handling my payment, telling me that I can pay this, and when I commit to it some more, I could pay it like this.

Protect My Car is really a good coverage for a person because they do help save money and if you needed something done, they would be there. Even though I couldn’t use it because I had that one payment that was out there, I still see that you can call and they work with you. They wouldn’t just give up on the person that called them.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We do understand your point. Time constraints should never interfere with getting you the answers you need. Rest assured that whenever you have questions, our professional trained staff will be here to assist you. We apologize if our agent did not fully answer your question the first time around.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We appreciate your business.

Original review: April 5, 2020

A year and a half ago, I had an issue with my trunk and I thought I had extended warranty purchased through the dealership. I found out I did not. It was a small repair but it kinda made me paranoid. And then I had forgotten about it. In December, I was online and there was a thing for a $3000 Amazon gift card, which clearly was a hoax. It said you had to sign up for all types of things for them to send you advertisements. The warranty thing came up and I thought that I wanted to look into extended warranty. I clicked that one and 10 minutes later, somebody called my phone. I'm not gonna say I loved my experience with the rep, but it was fate from God that made me purchase it when I did.

My car was running fine and I only had 3,000 miles. I almost wasn’t gonna purchase the warranty, but I wanted the lady to leave me alone and I ended up getting it. Getting approval was a very long process. And I didn’t think it would be that expensive. But then, I found out that was the standard procedure for it. The claim was initially denied and I was given a bogus reason for the denial, which concerned me. At one point, the person told me that my claim had been denied because I had used tires instead of brand-new tires and that they weren’t the same type of tires, which caused the imbalance.

One of my close friends was a mechanic and he said that the imbalance would have to be extreme, like having a tire for a Civic and a tire for an SUV. That kinda upset me and I thought that Protect My Car was really stretching to avoid the claim. I argued that down and said that I was with a mechanic and then, less than five minutes later, they approved the claim.

From the moment my car broke down and I contacted them, which was a Wednesday, I was in a rental car for about three weeks. My rental fee was over $500 and they only cover 210. I still had to cover $300, which was because it took them a week and a half to approve the claim. Once they approved the claim, I got my car back in a week and I was shocked. The cost was almost $4,000, but I just paid the deductible.

I’m so glad that I’ve always had records. I tell anybody that gets a warranty, "Make sure you have records of everything done to your car and make sure it’s all scheduled because I noticed that the first thing they ask is what your routine maintenance was.” I had to fax in all that documentation. Also, make sure you're going to a certifiable place. I got all the receipts from any place that I had gotten my car done.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you very much for those comments. As you indicated, it usually only takes one break down and the resulting expensive repair to make a believer of most doubters. Once you save $1000 or more in unexpected repair costs, you know how valuable these plans can be to protect you, your budget and your car.

Thank you for your faith in choosing Protect My Car. We will not let you down.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I was googling and going through reviews and saw that there were several providers out there. Then I put on my Facebook page and asked if anybody used additional car insurance. A lot of people said that they had used or knew people that had used Protect My Car. I ended up getting it. For my transmission claim, it went a little rough at first but once I got on it, it went pretty quick. The adjuster was telling me that he had already talked to the place and that he was gonna be down there and tell them that he would be down there the next day. Then he did, and then we didn't hear from him and then he was gonna be there again.

My husband used to be a mechanic so we've done our own oil changes. But for the transmission, we would have to have it checked at the place to see if it needed fluid. For my motor, you have to have a special dipstick where you have to put it up on a rack to check it. Every time that my husband would change the oil, he would take it down to that little place that has that special dipstick. The guy would just come outside and check it. If the transmission fluid was fine, we went on. But they didn't have the paperwork for me to send Protect My Car because they didn't charge because they didn't have to put any fluid in it. It showed that we were there but it didn't show what we were there for so it got me aggravated.

They said I didn't have anything to show I changed my oil. I told them it's a transmission and all I got was receipts from Walmart. At first, I thought they weren't going to do anything. Luckily, they found in a computer where I was buying it. They took it through a transmission place and they had the transmission and the transmission fluid checked. That's what saved me. But I told them that they need to explain that to people. Now I know that if I take it anywhere, even if there was not a paper trail, I would write out something, no charge and that I was here. He also said we can continue to change the oil but we need to make sure that we keep the receipt of him showing them the month when we actually got the stuff and changed it.

I started dealing mostly with a rep who was supposed to get the claims adjuster and the paper and get all that rolling. But I felt like he kept putting it off and prolonging. He would tell me he filed the claim and he's waiting on it. And then he was telling the transmission place that had my vehicle something totally different. When I actually got ahold of Protect My Car, they told me that the form had not been filed yet. I was aggravated with him 'cause he was lying to both of us. He hadn't really done what he'd done and it took forever. But once they actually got a claims adjuster, it was good.

When I got ahold of somebody else and started dealing with them, they got somebody down there. We just had to wait on the transmission and they said it'd be five to seven business days, which it came in four days. The guy had it done for me the day after he got it. It was just miscommunication on my part. He thought that by explaining to me I needed to make sure I upkeep my vehicle, that I knew I needed to show proof. I even called back and asked them more questions 'cause I didn't take it right away. He was great as far as all that and explaining what I didn't understand.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you for your comments. We know that one size does not fit all, and we are always happy to do everything we can to accommodate each customer on an individual basis.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Protect My Car covered a lot more stuff and was affordable. The reps did a good job. They broke down the different coverages, what Protect My Car offered, and I chose the one that best suited my needs. I'd tell my friends to sign up with them.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you for those great comments. We appreciate them very much.
      We do work hard to make sure your experience with Protect My Car is a positive one and that the whole process, from choosing the right coverage, to making sure it is comfortable on your budget, to fast and efficient claims service, towing and rental car benefits, gives you great peace of mind.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. Glad to have you.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

The reps were knowledgeable. They could answer the questions I had. It was a very good experience. That's why I selected Protect My Car. I submitted a claim for oil change and it was perfect. They communicated to me what I had to do on my end, and then once I notified the dealership, gave them the number.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you for taking time to provide your comments and experience with Protect My Car. Our agents do go through a great deal of training and re-training to make sure they have the right answers and know how to truthfully and effectively communicate those answers to our customers. We want you and all our customers to know they made the right choice by choosing Protect My Car. We will be here to help when you next need that help.

Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

They took care of everything. It was very easy to file the claim.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We are very glad the process was smooth and hassle free. That is exactly what we strive to do for every customer on every claim.

Thank you for being a valued customer.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Protect My Car has been awesome. Every time that I've needed them, they've been there and I've had no problems at all. When my car wouldn't start, all I did was call and they asked me for my card so I gave it to them. Then my car was jumped and it was fine. It was quick. The first time that I got Protect My Car was when I was in Kentucky, seeing my parents. What happened was I killed the battery and I left the keys in the car. So I called them and there was a place in Marion that came. It was 25 minutes. But they came in and they had my key out in a minute. It was really great. I like the fact that I can call somebody and I get taken care of pretty much quickly ‘cause things usually happen. Sometimes it takes forever and a day to get stuff but they've been really wonderful.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your wonderful comments and rating. It really does make a difference when you know you have a reputable and caring company take care of those issues quickly and without red tape. That is always our goal.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We will always have your back.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I didn't have the best experience with Protect My Car. When I called, I was told that whatever repair, it will be taken care of. But that wasn't the case. The services I could have gotten was in a very small window. It was one other service that my car needed to get done. I thought whatever my car needed, it would be taken care of. It wasn't a crazy expense. It wasn't something like $500 or $700. It was something that was under $100 to get done to my car. Then it was a lot of back and forth. The dealership said, “We were on hold for a long period of time.” It was too much. It would have been nice to know everything up front. It surely would have been nice if we had called and didn't have to wait that long period of time.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We deeply regret that long delay in getting the issue taken care of for you. It was entirely our fault (an agent made an entry error on the computer that created the problem). Human error can sometimes cause problems, but it is acknowledging that and getting it corrected that our customers are concerned with and entitled to.

Thank you again for your comments. We will do everything we can to make sure your next claim is hassle free.

Protect My Car Company Information