4.2/5 (638 ratings)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service provider that states its goal is to “change the game” with advisors who place the customer first and help minimize uncertainty from unexpected costly repairs. The company states that it aims to provide a hassle-free claims process and ongoing customer service.

Pros

• All services provided by Protect My Car employees
  • Payments starting at $60 a month
  • In-house claims process for smoother experience
  • Free oil changes and tire rotations with all policies

Cons

• Does not cover preexisting conditions
  • Not available in AK, CA, HI, MO, OK or WA

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 20 years old with up to 299,999 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Top Protect My Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It has been a pleasure to work with the reps. They are kind, courteous and informative. Submitting claims has been quick. They have been right on it. They work with you. The quali...

Verified

I did a little research and I found out that Protect My Car was the best value for the money so I went with them. They explained what the contract was all about. They told me how ...

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is a vehicle service contract provider that has multiple coverage plans to help meet any need and budget. The company has two categories of coverage: Selective coverage for newer vehicles and Comprehensive coverage for older vehicles.

Each coverage category has three additional options based on the deductible and the year and mileage of your vehicle. Once you become a Protect My Car customer, you work directly with the company for customer service, claims administration and contract financing. You don’t have to work with a middleman or seek third-party approval.

Protect My Car has plans available for vehicles up to 20 years old with up to 299,999 miles.

Protect My Car payment

Coverage plans are available on the company’s website or by contacting a Protect My Car advisor. The process begins with a free quote.

The company has an average down payment of $69, which is low compared with other car warranty companies. The daily cost for a Protect My Car plan ranges from around $2 to $3. Deductibles are $100 or $200 for the company’s Selective plans and 25% to 50% of the cost of repair for Comprehensive plans.

Protect My Car has a 30-day money-back guarantee. This is standard among extended auto warranty companies and lets you cancel your plan in the first 30 days. This is helpful in case you decide that a car warranty isn’t right for you.

Because Protect My Car is a direct provider, it can work directly with you to come up with a payment plan.

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car has two categories of coverage plans, Selective and Comprehensive, with three options in each category.

Selective plans

Protect My Car’s Selective plans are designed for newer cars. Your available options will vary based on your car’s mileage. All Selective plans come with 24/7 roadside assistance, free oil changes and free tire rotations.

• Supreme is the company’s most complete selective plan and is available for vehicles with up to 49,999 miles. The company advertises this plan as the closest thing to a manufacturer’s warranty, and it covers components including your turbocharger and navigation system. The plan has a $100 deductible, after which Protect My Car pays 100% of all covered repairs.
  • Select covers newer vehicles with up to 89,999 miles. It has lower monthly premiums than Select, and Protect My Car pays 100% of covered repairs after your $100 deductible.
  • Driveline plans cover slightly older vehicles with up to 124,999 miles on the odometer. The plan has Protect My Car’s most affordable monthly premiums, and the company pays 100% of all covered repairs after a $200 deductible.

Comprehensive plans

Protect My Car offers three Comprehensive plan options.  The plans cover cars with up to 299,999 miles and come with 24/7 roadside assistance, free oil changes and free tire rotation.

• Ambassador Platinum has the lowest deductible the company offers for older cars, though it is the most expensive option. Protect My Car pays the cost of all covered repairs after you pay a 25% deductible.
  • Ambassador Elite is Protect My Car’s midlevel option for vehicles. It comes with a 50% deductible, after which the company picks up the rest of the repair cost.
  • Ambassador Pro has the company’s lowest monthly premium for older cars. Like the Ambassador Elite plan, it has a 50% deductible.

Once you sign up for a plan, you have to wait 30 days before making a claim, although roadside assistance is available immediately. The roadside assistance benefit includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump-starts.

Protect My Car does not offer coverage for vehicles in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Protect My Car FAQ

What does Protect My Car cover?

Protect My Car offers six vehicle service contract plans in two different categories: Selective plans and Comprehensive plans. Coverage varies by plan, and the level of coverage available to you depends on your car's age and the number of miles on its odometer.

Who owns Protect My Car?

Crestview Partners, a private equity firm, acquired Protect My Car in September 2018.

How do I cancel a Protect My Car policy?

You can cancel a Protect My Car policy by calling the company. You may be required to fill out a cancellation form and send it to Protect My Car. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund, minus claims paid and an administrative fee. Keep in mind that if you sell your car, you may be able to transfer your policy to the new owner. Call Protect My Car if you want to transfer the contract.

Is Protect My Car legit?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, the company offers flexible payment options. Its plans offer a wide variety of coverages that will please most customers. The Comprehensive plans appeal to those with older cars or cars with higher mileage. Overall, Protect My Car is a solid choice for those seeking an extended car warranty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: March 3, 2022

When Protect My Car cold-called me, they didn't say anything disparaging about their competitor. They were very professional on the phone and very patient when I had questions. Their customer service was excellent and my salesman was great. He explained the coverage. When you read the contract, it's super crystal clear what they will and will not cover. If they know you're coming and it's not ready within a certain time, they go ahead and spring for a rental. What I love is they have a transferable warranty. They also take the car higher up in mileage than most providers do. They also offer towing and roadside service. They only offer a couple of times, and after that, it's a prorated charge.

The other thing is I'm a veteran and they gave me a veteran rate. They have never been nasty to me. When I brought it, I had gone my mileage level, and about two months later my little check engine light would pop on and off. I took it right up and called them. I told them I was having trouble with the power window. My mechanic called immediately to find out what was and wasn't covered. To do that power window would have been about 700 bucks between the labor and the parts. I had to pay my 200 and they covered $430 on my window. That's savings right there. I've already gotten one year's worth of my payment.

On my Protect My Car, they also provide me my oil changes. I do full synthetic and they pay for the full change. I called the mechanic the other day to say I was taking it in because of the master sensor. When he did the work on the sensor, I told him we were not going to put Protect My Car through all those little parts that I know they don't cover from having another sensor changed about a year ago. I asked them if they cover CVT and they said yes. I like the fact that Protect My Car has secondary mechanics. If they feel that the mechanic is not going to fix, they're going to recommend where you take it to get the best fix. They have master mechanics that will come to any shop where your car is, if they want to re-check what they're doing to make sure you're not getting hosed by the mechanic. You have a second pair of eyes looking at your vehicle and you know they're going to go for the best repair to maintain the cost.

My mechanics love Protect My Car. They say they're the easiest of everyone to work with. I pay $68 every month to have my premium and pay the $200 deductible. Protect My Car does the parts and labor as long as it's not a wearable part. They encourage you to maintain your car and they do that by offering the oil change. I feel very fortunate that my mechanics feel comfortable calling them. They don't feel that they're going to be put on hold for 50 years. Protect My Car works with the mechanic to see what they can cover and how much. They try to cover as much as possible within reason. Their car information and their folder are very clear and concise. It's very open. They're transparent with the consumer.

I'm a very satisfied customer. Protect My Car is oriented to the customer and to the driver. I told a friend she needed to get Protect My Car and she called them immediately and got them. Another incentive that they offer is for every person you bring them, they offer you a gift card of $100 and they're really good on that. I have gotten five or six people in there. The only thing that I don't like about them is you can't do work on a Sunday.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your wonderful comments and 5-stars! Providing our policyholders with good peace of mind is one of our most important goals, and we are very glad to have been there for you with your repairs. Best of all, we will be there again when you need us. Additionally, we strive to be the most transparent company in the industry, and we will work diligently to be as clear and concise as you need. We also understand it can be frustrating that Protect My Car is not open on Sunday; however, most facilities would not want to start on larger repairs until a Monday, but we do offer reimbursement for smaller emergency repairs issues that occur outside of our normal business hours. . Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

My truck is old so the mileage is way past my manufacturer's warranty. I went with CarShield, but what they offered was lubricated parts on the vehicle and they charged me the same price for the best coverage they had that would cover everything on somebody else's vehicle. I used it for a little bit but I figured it was just a waste of money and for some coverage. I was looking online and then I saw Protect My Car and I decided to try it out. For my truck, which is over 10 years old and has over 246,000 miles on it, they still cover everything that has gone wrong with it, so I've been very happy with them since then.

When I go to a mechanic, before they do a diagnostic on it, and then they let me know whatever it's gonna cost, then I give them the information for the company, and they call them. Of course, they ask the mechanic's information for the truck. After everything’s said and done and they okay it, they give me a call to let me know what my portion is, and they're gonna cover their portion, and I cover mine.

The one thing that I experienced was that there was a part on the truck that was not routine maintenance and the person said that it was not covered. I read over my policy and I called back. I explained that whoever’s told the mechanic that it wasn't covered was wrong. The guy had to research what I was talking about. He apologized on behalf of the other person and that's what got fixed.

The only thing was that when I was trying to get the door handles fixed on my Nissan, they didn't accept it ‘cause it wasn't covered. It was considered as cosmetic. They didn't call me about it. I’ll appreciate it if when I take my car to a mechanic and it’s something not covered, they should at least give me a courtesy call about it. But whatever they covered, they covered. I recommended it to my mother and she uses it too.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad you are with us, and as you pointed out, most older, high-mileage cars simply do not qualify for any coverage with most companies. Obviously, those are the vehicles that are most likely to suffer a mechanical breakdown and that is why we developed our Ambassador plans. We will continue to work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations and we apologize for the unsatisfactory claims experience. Also, we appreciate your suggestion for a courtesy call regarding non-covered items. That is great feedback and will be forwarded to Protect My Car management for further review and consideration. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact Customer Loyalty. Thank you for being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

When we found out exactly what was going on with the vehicle, Protect My car did not cover a component that was the cause of the issue. They covered the after-effect. So I had to pay out of pocket for the cause of it and I ended up having to pay about $1,200 to get my car fixed. But since it’s all tied in together, I felt like they should have covered that too. They also should educate the customer service reps more on mechanical things and terminology versus them reading from a script. Two of the people told me that all that they do is they punch in something, then the cause or effect comes up and they read that. It then depends on how effective they read it as to whether or not you believe what it is that they're telling you. They would better understand their job and the consumer if they had some type of background knowledge as to what the mechanic may be saying.

And as far as the inspectors, they are the same. They just go out, look at the vehicle, and say that they're going to put the claim in. But when they put the report in, it still kicks back to the customer service rep, who has no background knowledge in what's going on. The mechanic was telling me that the reason why my transfer case went out was because my car is an all-wheel drive and the ball bearings were bad, which relates to the transfer case because that made tires drive differently.

So, if the ball bearings can go out and will cause the transfer case to mess up and break, then they should cover the ball bearings as well, because the transfer case was more than the ball bearings. It will come out cheaper for the company versus having to pay for thousands of dollars for a transfer case when you can pay for $90 for a ball bearing. If you stop the problem before it starts, then it will not be a bigger problem. But they didn't cover the ball bearings.

By me trying to explain that to the customer service rep, he was pretty much saying that it was not in my drivetrain and that's not what's covered. He told me that I needed to look at my policy and he sent me eight emails about my policy. But I already have the policy right here. At the end of the day, I don't know what a drivetrain is because I'm not a mechanic. But that's what he was telling me pretty much, that I'm at fault because I'm not a mechanic and I don't understand the lingo. But as far as the product itself, the product is good because I benefit from it personally. I get my oil change at Valvoline and by me having this warranty now, I get free oil changes.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 4-stars and for choosing Protect My Car for your vehicle repair needs. We are happy that Melodi contacted you regarding your concerns. We apologize for any misunderstanding while speaking with any of our agents and regret not providing you with an excellent customer experience. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I had never used any of Protect My Car's services and if it wasn't for needing protection on my car, I would never deal with them. Every time something goes wrong with my car, they don't cover that part. I'm putting out $3,500 a year or as long as it takes, and I still never get serviced. If I'm paying someone my money and they're not doing their job, then why should I pay them? They're supposed to take care what they're telling me they're gonna take care of when I bought the service. The service I’m supposed to have is the elite. That means the top of the line and that’s what I’m supposed to get. The way they write things down and the way they word things in their manual, “You’re saying that it’s this, but it’s part of this, but not all of that,” then they reject it and say, “Oh, no. We can’t cover that then. Because this didn’t do and that.”

I've had problems with coverage and it's not just with Protect My Car. I've had it with other companies too. One time, something broke and I had it fixed. When you're under stress with your car, you have to take your car to get something taken care of and it's a major part, you're not thinking that you have this extra coverage. I spent $800 to have that done then, I realized it. I called the company. They said, “We can't cover it now because of the fact you’re supposed to call us before they did it.” That pissed me off. That was early, so I try to remember. Certain things they say, “Well, that’s wear and tear,” and I can understand that part. However, when they're telling me they're not gonna cover what they told me they covered because I didn't contact them before the shop worked on it, that’s not nice at all.

The other day, I had to get my inspection done. Not thinking, I left my car at the shop and went home. The guy called me and said, “Your ball joint on your tire need to be replaced.” I’m not gonna pass inspection by that part being bad, so I said, “Well, go ahead and do it." I needed my car inspection to be done then after I was done paying the guy and got home, a day later, I realized maybe I could’ve used the warranty to pay for getting that part done. I don’t know if that is considered one of the wear-and-tear parts, so I never called them back.

The only one thing I have been doing on a regular basis is getting my oil changed. With the first couple ones, they said, "Rotate the tires,” and it was done. They paid the people that did the work and I didn’t see any issues with them. If I did, I’m the type of person who will tell people about it. They get my oil changed, but in essence, it’s not free because I’m paying for it every month that I put out $70-some.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Protect My Car. We make every effort to assist customers with repairs to their vehicles, and there are seldom any issues with approving claims. Unfortunately, after a thorough review of your account was completed, we could not locate any repair claims that a repair facility submitted. If you had repairs completed that you feel are approvable, please contact Customer Loyalty to get the correct information to submit a reimbursement request and provide any additional feedback. Thank you for being such a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

The individual I spoke with on the phone was trying to be facetious. I asked questions about the policies and procedures, and my first question was if the warranty was a bumper-to-bumper. He said that there was nothing that was bumper-to-bumper. I told him that it’s the term that most people use. I know it doesn’t cover the bumper but from the front to the back type situation. He proceeded to say that there is no such thing and it doesn’t cover my bumper. So, I didn’t appreciate that. Then, I asked what the total price was. I told him that maybe I want to pay it all as opposed to paying monthly payments. He said that there’s no way I’d be able to pay it up. I still purchased the warranty so it had nothing to do with the rep. I wanted that on my car and from the explanation or the things that I finally got out of him. I made him read it all to me. I know he wasn’t happy when we finished, but he learned something.

I still have the service and I’m okay with it. Everybody I spoke with since then has been wonderful. I finally used it maybe two weeks ago and it went wonderfully well. I had to have my motor mount repaired and there was a piece that the mechanic told me that had to be added on, and it wasn’t covered. That should’ve been covered because it was part of the mount but maybe I didn’t understand the mechanic. I’m okay with it and I got it done. The mechanic place and the representatives were fine but the person who sold me the policy was not anybody who impressed me. I told him exactly what I thought about him and his customer service skills, and that he needed to do a little better than he was doing. He needs to listen. I explained to him that I've been doing this and customer service is very important.

I have been a customer service representative for the majority of my career and it’s in the way you talk to people, answer them and allow them to ask questions. If you’re good, I wanna speak to your supervisor because I wanna compliment you. If you’re bad, I’m gonna do to you what you think you would. But other than that, I’ve had no issues with Protect My Car. I love it. My battery died on me and they came out and did that. I’ve said to a lot of people that they need to get the warranty. It’s worth having.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. It is very important to everyone here at Protect My Car that we provide the most professional service possible and we are very sorry if you have ever experienced anything other than excellent service. We want to end each day knowing we have helped a lot of people with vehicle problems that could have ruined not just their day but their budget for months to come. It means a lot to get comments from our policyholders that let us know we are doing just that. Thank you for being a Protect My Car valued customer, and please don’t hesitate to contact Loyalty if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Customer service was astounding and very informative and these are great people. Thank you Todd ** and Jason ** for your beyond the call of duty help on my policy and just helping me means the world too me.

Resolution response: Aug. 12, 2022

PMC is not getting it!!! I'm not frustrated, I feel deceived and lied to. Before I even paid for another rental, I made sure I called them to see if they would reimburse me. The rep told over the phone that, they would reimburse me, after, I pay for the rental. I have proof of the rep saying, out of her own mouth that they would reimburse me, for the rental. After I emailed the reimbursement dept. my receipt, that's when I got a reply later saying they would not reimburse me. So how are they holding up their obligations? They said one thing and did the total opposite. I don't know how many times I have to explain this. When you tell someone something and then, go back on your word, that is called deception and lying. In addition to, I did not receive any calls or emails from them trying to reach out to me about my review. If anything I've been calling and reaching out to them. I am currently looking for a new extended company that I can actually trust.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I initially took my van to Jerry's Garage on 7/5/2022 and started a claim, because, I had no air and my windows had stop working. My van was ready for pick up on 7/7/2022. After only having it back for only 5 days, I noticed the air went back out again, so I called the shop and they told me to bring my van back to them on 7/26/2022....BUT, Before I took my van back or paid for another rental, I contacted Protect My Car to make sure they would cover the rental, because I had to take my van back to the shop. I was assured by their representative that they would cover the rental simply because, I had to take it back to the shop and that another diagnostic test would be performed and the shop was to explain to protect my car that there was a leak in the compressor that they had just put on. Now their reimbursement department and the manager said, they won't cover the rental charge after I got and paid for the rental.

I made sure, before leaving my van at the shop and before spending another dime to get a rental, that they would reimburse me back. They lied. By these people assuring me a reimbursement, that's exactly what I'm expecting to get back. If not my fault or problem that their representative lied or gave me the wrong information.

Protect My Car response

We understand your frustrations; however, Protect My Car does not mislead customers nor have unethical business practices. One of our specialists reached out but was unable to contact you regarding your review. PMC’s Management team has re-reviewed your customer’s file, and we found that PMC has held up to our obligation on your coverage plan. If you would like more information regarding your claim, please feel free to contact our Loyalty department for further assistance.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 30, 2022

They owed me money from a job done 7 month ago and refused to pay; my car still hasn't been fix, because of them. Had to report them to BBB. Do not recommend Protect My Car. Only 1 efficient employee.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are happy that one of our specialists was able to reach out to you to provide feedback regarding your review. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call our Loyalty department at 844-556-4762. Thank you

Original review: July 26, 2022

In the past 24 hours I have received 2 unwanted call. A machine calls stating they are replying to a request from me (untrue). Because it is a machine you have to wait to speak to a live person. That person states they will remove your number but since I got a call the next day that did not happen. I know there are good companies with good products out there. I have started a tracking list. When the time come I need that product I will get it from someone not on my Spam list.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your feedback on this matter. We understand your frustrations and Protect My Car takes all such statements seriously. We would like to look further into this matter; however, without more identifying information, we are unable to check our database to ensure we have properly taken your number from our call list. Please also remember that other companies are calling you as well. If you would like to speak with an agent to verify that your phone number is placed on OUR Do Not Call list, please feel free to contact our Loyalty department at 844-556-4762.

Original review: July 6, 2022

One of the things I liked about Protect My Car is that they don't have to hard sell. They answered my questions without trying to sell me on anything. And then they said, "Well have you thought about this, and have you thought about that?" It's a soft sell.

However, for my first claim, my car languished for two days because we could not get through the customer service line so that my mechanic can fix my car. I would drop the car off at the shop at 8 o'clock in the morning and I would pick it up at 5 o'clock and go home, and hope, hope, hope, and get it back the next day. On the third day, we finally got through. It was the first time the mechanic had ever used Protect My Car also. His complaint was, "I don't have time to wait for somebody." It's a busy shop and they cannot spend four hours on the phone. He was calling and he had his shop guys that were on break calling, and he had me calling, and it still took us two days to get a number. But once we got the number so the mechanic could start to work, it was a very easy process, and he was pleased.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your concerns with Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that our call volume has recently exceeded expectations, and we are in the process of incorporating many changes to manage our call hold times. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Protect My Car Company Information