Get Pricing

4.4/5 (295 ratings)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service contract provider. The company's goal is to eliminate the worry of being financially responsible for an expensive mechanical breakdown. With a Protect My Car extended auto warranty, you don’t have to worry about being fully burdened with the cost of a covered repair.

Pros

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Long payment plan

Cons

• Not offered in all states
  • Mileage limits on lower side

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 10 years old with up to 125,000 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Top Protect My Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It has been a pleasure to work with the reps. They are kind, courteous and informative. Submitting claims has been quick. They have been right on it. They work with you. The quali...

Verified

I did a little research and I found out that Protect My Car was the best value for the money so I went with them. They explained what the contract was all about. They told me how ...

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is an extended auto warranty company. It offers a variety of plans that cover both newer vehicles and older, high-mileage vehicles. Protect My Car directly administers its policies, meaning you don’t have to work with a middleman or seek third-party approval.

Protect My Car payment

You can request a free online quote from Protect My Car. The company has an average down payment of $69, which is low compared with other car warranty companies. The daily cost for a Protect My Car plan ranges from around $2 to $2.75, and the deductible for its vehicle service contract is $100 or $200 for all covered parts, repairs and labor. The company’s Ambassador plans, which are geared toward maintenance, have a deductible of either 25% or 50% of the costs for covered parts, repairs and labor.

Protect My Car has a 30-day money-back guarantee. This is standard among extended auto warranty companies and allows you to cancel your plan in the first 30 days. This is helpful in case you decide that a car warranty isn’t right for you. Because Protect My Car is a direct provider, it can work directly with you to come up with a payment plan.

Protect My Car warranty plans

Protect My Car has six plans: three traditional extended auto plans and three maintenance-focused plans. Its traditional plans cover vehicles with fewer than 125,000 miles and under 10 years of age:

• The Driveline plan is designed for vehicles with over 80,000 miles. It covers the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, air conditioning and heating, cooling system and electrical system.
  • The Select plan offers everything the Driveline plan offers, plus coverage for the front and rear suspension and select brake system components.
  • The Supreme plan covers everything covered in the Select plan, plus the turbocharger. Navigation system coverage is optional. This plan is the closest Protect My Car offers to a manufacturer’s warranty on a new car.

All Protect My Car warranty plans include roadside assistance, rental car coverage, oil changes and tire rotations. See the table below for differences in these plans.

DrivelineSelectSupreme
Front and rear suspension
Select brake system components
Turbocharger
NavigationOptional
Driveline
Select
SupremeOptional

The Ambassador plans are designed for most vehicles, regardless of the model year or the mileage. Protect My Car refers to Ambassador plans as “maintenance plans,” but they also cover breakdowns, paying a percentage of the cost of repairs.

Ambassador plans cover the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, front and rear suspension, cooling system, electrical system, heating and cooling systems, select brake components, the timing chain and the turbocharger. They also include three oil changes per year, two tire rotations and rental car reimbursement.

• The Ambassador Platinum plan has a deductible of 25% of the cost of repairs.
  • The Ambassador Elite plan has a deductible of 50% of the cost of repairs.
  • The Ambassador Pro plan has a deductible of 50% of the cost of repairs, but it doesn’t include roadside assistance.

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car’s extended auto warranty plans cover vehicles up to 10 years old and with up to 125,000 miles. Once you sign up for a plan, you have to wait 30 days before making a claim. Roadside assistance is available immediately. Ambassador policyholders have a 15-day waiting period.

Protect My Car’s roadside assistance comes with all Protect My Car vehicle service contracts and is also available with two of its three Ambassador plans. This includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump-starts. If your car is in the shop for repairs for four hours or longer, Protect My Car provides rental car reimbursement.

Protect My Car does not offer coverage for vehicles in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Protect My Car FAQ

What does Protect My Car cover?
Protect My Car offers three vehicle service contract plans: Driveline, Select and Supreme. Each covers the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, differential assembly, cooling system, air conditioning and heating, electrical system and timing chain. The Select plan adds coverage for the front and rear suspension and select brake components. The Supreme plan covers everything in the Select plan, plus the turbocharger. All plans include roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, oil changes and tire rotations.
Who owns Protect My Car?
Crestview Partners, a private equity firm, acquired Protect My Car in September 2018.
How do I cancel a Protect My Car policy?
You can cancel a Protect My Car policy by calling the company. You may be required to fill out a cancellation form and send it to Protect My Car. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund, minus claims paid and an administrative fee. Keep in mind that if you sell your car, you may be able to transfer your policy to the new owner. Call Protect My Car if you want to transfer the contract.

Is Protect My Car legit?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, the company offers flexible payment options. Its Driveline, Select and Supreme plans offer a wide variety of coverages that will please most customers. The Ambassador plans appeal to those with older cars or cars with higher mileage. Plus, the contract waiting period for Ambassador plans is only 15 days. Overall, Protect My Car is a solid choice for those seeking an extended car warranty.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I had never used any of Protect My Car's services and if it wasn't for needing protection on my car, I would never deal with them. Every time something goes wrong with my car, they don't cover that part. I'm putting out $3,500 a year or as long as it takes, and I still never get serviced. If I'm paying someone my money and they're not doing their job, then why should I pay them? They're supposed to take care what they're telling me they're gonna take care of when I bought the service. The service I’m supposed to have is the elite. That means the top of the line and that’s what I’m supposed to get. The way they write things down and the way they word things in their manual, “You’re saying that it’s this, but it’s part of this, but not all of that,” then they reject it and say, “Oh, no. We can’t cover that then. Because this didn’t do and that.”

I've had problems with coverage and it's not just with Protect My Car. I've had it with other companies too. One time, something broke and I had it fixed. When you're under stress with your car, you have to take your car to get something taken care of and it's a major part, you're not thinking that you have this extra coverage. I spent $800 to have that done then, I realized it. I called the company. They said, “We can't cover it now because of the fact you’re supposed to call us before they did it.” That pissed me off. That was early, so I try to remember. Certain things they say, “Well, that’s wear and tear,” and I can understand that part. However, when they're telling me they're not gonna cover what they told me they covered because I didn't contact them before the shop worked on it, that’s not nice at all.

The other day, I had to get my inspection done. Not thinking, I left my car at the shop and went home. The guy called me and said, “Your ball joint on your tire need to be replaced.” I’m not gonna pass inspection by that part being bad, so I said, “Well, go ahead and do it." I needed my car inspection to be done then after I was done paying the guy and got home, a day later, I realized maybe I could’ve used the warranty to pay for getting that part done. I don’t know if that is considered one of the wear-and-tear parts, so I never called them back.

The only one thing I have been doing on a regular basis is getting my oil changed. With the first couple ones, they said, "Rotate the tires,” and it was done. They paid the people that did the work and I didn’t see any issues with them. If I did, I’m the type of person who will tell people about it. They get my oil changed, but in essence, it’s not free because I’m paying for it every month that I put out $70-some.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2021

When I was purchasing the extended warranty from Protect My Car, I was speaking to someone in Florida and we had a nice conversation. She was on point with all the information and she made me very happy. It was a good experience and she helped me pick the best option I had. I first started in the first tier and then I decided to go with the top tier. So, she helped me set all that up. It’s simple to file a claim as long as you speak to the garage that you're working with and make sure that they accept it and that they accept the funds from them. The first step was easy. They told me to talk to the garage and make sure everything's good with them. If they need information, I should give them Protect My Car’s number and they’ll talk to them. So, that's what I did. My mechanic spoke to them and he said that everything was set up and that he knew what he got to do.

I've seen Protect My Car twice. Once, there was something with my engine. It was $900 and I ended up paying 425, which was when I decided to go with the top tier they had, which you pay 25%. This last one that I had, my brakes and I had to get a couple of things done and the total was 1,800 but I ended up paying 25% of that. So, the warranty helps. They take out $79 a month but it pays off in the end when I need to take the car in and get it fixed. So, it is worth it. Protect My Car is a good service, especially if your car's getting a little older and you're going to need some major maintenance. If you want to save some money, go with Protect My Car because they got some good programs and you choose whichever one that is eligible for you. You should go for the high tier. You pay less and it's not bad. Plus, I'm a veteran, so I got a discount.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments and five stars! It is very important to everyone here at Protect My Car that we provide the most professional service possible. We want to end each day knowing we have helped a lot of people with vehicle problems that could have ruined not just their day but their budget for months to come. It means a lot to get comments from our policyholders that let us know we are doing just that. Best of all, we will be here to assist you when you next need help with your vehicle. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I was gonna take the car to where I bought it. They said they didn't accept Protect My Car's insurance. The gentleman I talked to at their office said, "Take it to Midas because you have some type." I'm sorry for being so messed up. Protect My Car had a contract or something with Midas that they would take me and not refuse. So, I went down there and got oil change. The guy took it in the back, very nice people. He came back out and said, "Your rotors on the back tires are not with this." Well, I said, "Just see what it is. Tell me how much it is. We'll call the insurance people, here's their number and we'll go from there."

I sat down there. It was about an hour and a half. He was back and forth on the phone with Protect My Car trying to get it straight. Finally, he got finished with my car. He said that the back brakes, the calipers and I don't know what all. He just said, “This is wrong and that's wrong. And that's what we had to fix.” But I don't know anything about cars except how to put gas in them and drive it. He took the wheels off the car. I could see it through window. And he came out and said, "This is shot, and that's shot." "Okay, well, here's their number. Call Protect My Car." I sent pictures of the papers that he gave me, and charged me 500 and some dollars before I could go home. I was aggravated because I said, "I was only supposed to pay $100. I came here for an oil change and a grease job and all that. And here you're sending me out with an almost $600 bill." I paid it with my credit card and I just said, "I can't deal with this now."

I called Protect My Car and I talked to two different people. The last one, his name was Benjie. He said, "Just send me a copy of the papers and we'll go from there." Protect My Car did good on what Midas said they put a claim in for. But I wasn't happy for the amount. Everybody down at Midas couldn't have been any nicer but nice doesn't work with me when it's money involved.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. There are some shops that have had a negative experience dealing with vehicle service companies. They do not want a professional adjuster looking over their shoulder working on behalf of an unknowing consumer. We know when they do unnecessary work or pad the bill or overcharge for a repair. We do work closely with some national shops that promote honest and effective repair work, but we still work for, and only for, our customers to make sure the right repair is being done at the right price.

Thank you for your comments.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I originally called Protect My Car and told them that my heat wasn't working. They said it could be a heat coil, and to bring it into the dealer to get it done. When the dealer took a closer look at it, they said that there had been anti-freeze leaking back into my engine into where my spark plugs were. Protect My Car said to send over all the paperwork so they could get it approved.

When I sent those, the representative told me that I wasn't being honest. There was one oil change receipt from a local mom-and-pop shop that didn't look like a receipt to her. It was handwritten, and because of that, it took them an extra week and a half to approve my claim in order to get my car started, which then caused the engine that was coming all the way from Michigan from the Ford factory to be delayed. It left me without my car for almost a month. To add insult to injury, they only covered me for $150 for a rental car so I was stuck with a $2,000 rental car bill. Nobody could help and do anything to minimize that. Had Protect My Car done what they were supposed to do on the same day that I gave them every document that they asked for, I would have had my car a lot sooner than December 23th, that rental car bill would have been a lot cheaper, and I'd probably be a happier customer.

I was very unhappy with the way that the staff, mainly the higher-up, handled the situation and lack thereof. The representative that was in charge would tell the people at the dealer that she was trying to get ahold of me and was calling me. She never did. I was trying to call her. I would have to go through my actual car dealership. I even went as far as going over to the mom-and-pop shop to speak to the guy there and explain what was going on.

I felt that Protect My Car, being that the work was going to cost about 5,000, could have done a little bit more to help me out, especially knowing that they dragged their feet and it was their fault because I wasn't approved. I couldn't even pay my monthly payment for January and they've been calling me like crazy telling me that my payment hasn't gone through. I know it hasn't gone through because I'm still paying off the rental car bill. The other people that worked with me, as far as the customer care reps, were great and very helpful.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We do regret that you feel the approval and verification process was unnecessary. It is, however, an important part of the process and unavoidable when a a licensed shop issues a hand written receipt without the appropriate information on it. There really is no reason for a licensed professional shop not to issue a receipt that meets the standards in the industry. We hope you will understand that the blame for the delay in getting approval for your claim rests with the shop that would ask a customer to accept such a receipt.

We certainly hope your next claim will go a lot smoother.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I was calling a supposed number of Chase Bank that a rep gave me and I wound up calling Protect my Car. Their rep told me about their warranty and how it's a really good deal at a great price. He told me that their coverage protects my car and said what they could do for me. He ended up asking for my credit card and selling me their warranty. They sent me all the paperwork. So far, I'm happy with the warranty I got.

Before I got Protect My Car, I had received many spammer calls asking me if I wanted to get an auto warranty. I talked with reps from different companies and discussed their warranties with them. Other warranty companies wanted me to pay an enormous amount of money up front. Alternatively, they wanted me to pay a startup fee and I would then have the warranty for 14 days to review it and make sure I wanna keep it. Then, they would charge me a couple of thousand dollars. I never went with them and I got discouraged from them repeatedly calling me after I requested that they remove me from their call list.

With Protect my Car, I used their warranty, took my car to a dealership and they gave me a loaner car. When I left my service advisor my Protect My Car identification card and told him to contact them if there were any repairs that needed to be done, he called me and said that he had not been able to reach Protect My Car and that he had been on hold for an hour. He said this was one of the reasons why he did not prefer to use warranty companies. I told him that I can call or send an email to the representative that I normally deal with and that rep could get someone to call him back. I got into contact with Tara and she made arrangements for a rep to call my service advisor and get everything processed. This problem could have been due to the time of day or I brought my car to the dealership on a day of the week when Protect My Car had a large amount of phone calls. Still, Tara was able to get things resolved and approved.

The dealership diagnosed all kinds of things and determined that things needed to be done. My car needed electrical work. They also recommended that I get two new tires. I just paid for my deductible and for the tires and Protect my Car covered everything else. I've only had good experiences with this company and it's due to the rep I've been dealing with. She has a great personality and cares about dealing with people. She is a customer service specialist who is committed to Protect My Car and her job. There was a time when I called in to cancel my coverage and I talked to her. She resolved issues and told me to stay in contact with her for any concerns and she would help make sure everything is okay.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.
    We do work hard to make sure this protection is affordable for everyone’s budget. It’s all part of not just doing the right thing, but doing things right for each customer.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I have never had any problems with Protect My Car. Every time I put my car in the shop. They have no problem with protect my car paying them. They are a great company and I would recommend them to anyone.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission to provide excellent service and needed help to all policyholders. We are thrilled that the policy, our staff, and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. Remember, if you refer someone who gets a policy, we thank you by sending you a Visa gift card. Again, thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I think Protect My Car is ok but I need to know what's covered and what's not, I called to find out if a particular part was covered and the girl didn't know, so I would like to know if a certain part is covered?

Protect My Car response

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We are delighted that a specialist was able to speak with you and provided you with the information you requested. As always, of course, please do not hesitate to call us if you need any help understanding the coverage specified in your policy. We are here to help and make sure your experience with Protect My Car is a positive one. Thanks again for your comments. We look forward to hearing from you any time you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I call, I will get someone right then and there with no problems. They are always on top when I call with no problems. They will answer my questions I need to know anything about and take care of my problems when I call. Thank you for the great customer service.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. It is very important to everyone here at Protect My Car that we provide the best customer experience in the industry. We want to end each day knowing we have helped a lot of people with vehicle problems that could have ruined not just their day but their budget for months to come. It means a lot to get comments from our policyholders that let us know we are doing just that. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Yes I’ve been recommended Protect My Car to some of my friends and stuff. I like your service. I like to how things get done I’m up. Most of all my car gets fixed at half at half of the cost. Thank you very much.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission to provide an excellent customer experience to all policyholders. Thank you for your comments. It really means a lot to us all to know our efforts are really helping give our policyholders good peace of mind. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do for you. Remember, if you refer someone who gets a policy, we thank you by sending you a Visa gift card. Again, thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

When my service representative at the Honda dealership came to me with a problem while I waited for them to change the oil, the problem was going to cost about $1000. I told him that I had Protect My Car and gave him my card. When he returned he said that's the easiest car warranty company he'd ever worked with. They paid the bill, I got my vehicle fixed, and everyone is now happy.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your experience with Protect My Car. Providing our policyholders with good peace of mind is our most important goal. We also know that many shops are very cautious when working with vehicle service contract companies, and we cannot say we blame them. However, it takes only one time working with Protect My Car for a shop to know how dedicated we are to saving our customers money, time, and hassles. Thank you again for your comments. We are glad to have you as a valued customer.

Protect My Car Company Information