Get Pricing

4.4/5 (421 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service contract provider. The company's goal is to eliminate the worry of being financially responsible for an expensive mechanical breakdown. With a Protect My Car extended auto warranty, you don’t have to worry about being fully burdened with the cost of a covered repair.

Pros

• Specialized plan for older cars
    • Low down payment
    • Long payment plan

Cons

• Not offered in all states
    • Mileage limits on lower side

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 10 years old with up to 125,000 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Top Protect My Car Reviews

Verified

It has been a pleasure to work with the reps. They are kind, courteous and informative. Submitting claims has been quick. They have been right on it. They work with you. The quali...

Verified

I did a little research and I found out that Protect My Car was the best value for the money so I went with them. They explained what the contract was all about. They told me how ...

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is an extended auto warranty company. It offers a variety of plans that cover both newer vehicles and older, high-mileage vehicles. Protect My Car directly administers its policies, meaning you don’t have to work with a middleman or seek third-party approval.

Protect My Car payment

You can request a free online quote from Protect My Car. The company has an average down payment of $69, which is low compared with other car warranty companies. The daily cost for a Protect My Car plan averages from around $2 to $2.50, and the deductible for its vehicle service contract is $100 or $200 for all covered parts, repairs and labor. The company’s Ambassador plans, which are geared toward maintenance, have a deductible of either 25% or 50% of the costs for covered parts, repairs and labor.

Protect My Car has a 30-day money-back guarantee. This is standard among extended auto warranty companies and allows you to cancel your plan in the first 30 days. This is helpful in case you decide that a car warranty isn’t right for you. Because Protect My Car is a direct provider, it can work directly with you to come up with a payment plan.

Protect My Car warranty plans

Protect My Car has six plans: three traditional extended auto plans and three maintenance-focused plans. Its traditional plans cover vehicles with fewer than 125,000 miles and under 10 years of age:

• The Driveline plan is designed for vehicles with over 80,000 miles. It covers the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, air conditioning and heating, cooling system and electrical system.
    • The Select plan offers everything the Driveline plan offers, plus coverage for the front and rear suspension and select brake system components.
    • The Supreme plan covers everything covered in the Select plan, plus the turbocharger. Navigation system coverage is optional. This plan is the closest Protect My Car offers to a manufacturer’s warranty on a new car.

All Protect My Car warranty plans include roadside assistance, rental car coverage, oil changes and tire rotations. See the table below for differences in these plans.

DrivelineSelectSupreme
    Front and rear suspension
    Select brake system components
    Turbocharger
    NavigationOptional
    Driveline
    Select
    SupremeOptional

The Ambassador plans are designed for most vehicles, regardless of the model year or the mileage. Protect My Car refers to Ambassador plans as “maintenance plans,” but they also cover breakdowns, paying a percentage of the cost of repairs.

Ambassador plans cover the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, front and rear suspension, cooling system, electrical system, heating and cooling systems, select brake components, the timing chain and the turbocharger. They also include three oil changes per year, two tire rotations and rental car reimbursement.

• The Ambassador Platinum plan has a deductible of 25% of the cost of repairs.
    • The Ambassador Elite plan has a deductible of 50% of the cost of repairs.
    • The Ambassador Pro plan has a deductible of 50% of the cost of repairs, but it doesn’t include roadside assistance.

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car’s extended auto warranty plans cover vehicles up to 10 years old and with up to 125,000 miles. Once you sign up for a plan, you have to wait 30 days before making a claim. Roadside assistance is available immediately. Ambassador policyholders have a 15-day waiting period.

Protect My Car’s roadside assistance comes with all Protect My Car vehicle service contracts and is also available with two of its three Ambassador plans. This includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump-starts. If your car is in the shop for repairs for four hours or longer, Protect My Car provides rental car reimbursement.

Protect My Car does not offer coverage for vehicles in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Protect My Car FAQ

What does Protect My Car cover?
    Protect My Car offers three vehicle service contract plans: Driveline, Select and Supreme. Each covers the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive axle, differential assembly, cooling system, air conditioning and heating, electrical system and timing chain. The Select plan adds coverage for the front and rear suspension and select brake components. The Supreme plan covers everything in the Select plan, plus the turbocharger. All plans include roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, oil changes and tire rotations.
    Who owns Protect My Car?
    Crestview Partners, a private equity firm, acquired Protect My Car in September 2018.
    How do I cancel a Protect My Car policy?
    You can cancel a Protect My Car policy by calling the company. You may be required to fill out a cancellation form and send it to Protect My Car. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund, minus claims paid and an administrative fee. Keep in mind that if you sell your car, you may be able to transfer your policy to the new owner. Call Protect My Car if you want to transfer the contract.

Is Protect My Car legit?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, the company offers flexible payment options. Its Driveline, Select and Supreme plans offer a wide variety of coverages that will please most customers. The Ambassador plans appeal to those with older cars or cars with higher mileage. Plus, the contract waiting period for Ambassador plans is only 15 days. Overall, Protect My Car is a solid choice for those seeking an extended car warranty.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I originally called Protect My Car and told them that my heat wasn't working. They said it could be a heat coil, and to bring it into the dealer to get it done. When the dealer took a closer look at it, they said that there had been anti-freeze leaking back into my engine into where my spark plugs were. Protect My Car said to send over all the paperwork so they could get it approved.

When I sent those, the representative told me that I wasn't being honest. There was one oil change receipt from a local mom-and-pop shop that didn't look like a receipt to her. It was handwritten, and because of that, it took them an extra week and a half to approve my claim in order to get my car started, which then caused the engine that was coming all the way from Michigan from the Ford factory to be delayed. It left me without my car for almost a month. To add insult to injury, they only covered me for $150 for a rental car so I was stuck with a $2,000 rental car bill. Nobody could help and do anything to minimize that. Had Protect My Car done what they were supposed to do on the same day that I gave them every document that they asked for, I would have had my car a lot sooner than December 23th, that rental car bill would have been a lot cheaper, and I'd probably be a happier customer.

I was very unhappy with the way that the staff, mainly the higher-up, handled the situation and lack thereof. The representative that was in charge would tell the people at the dealer that she was trying to get ahold of me and was calling me. She never did. I was trying to call her. I would have to go through my actual car dealership. I even went as far as going over to the mom-and-pop shop to speak to the guy there and explain what was going on.

I felt that Protect My Car, being that the work was going to cost about 5,000, could have done a little bit more to help me out, especially knowing that they dragged their feet and it was their fault because I wasn't approved. I couldn't even pay my monthly payment for January and they've been calling me like crazy telling me that my payment hasn't gone through. I know it hasn't gone through because I'm still paying off the rental car bill. The other people that worked with me, as far as the customer care reps, were great and very helpful.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We do regret that you feel the approval and verification process was unnecessary. It is, however, an important part of the process and unavoidable when a a licensed shop issues a hand written receipt without the appropriate information on it. There really is no reason for a licensed professional shop not to issue a receipt that meets the standards in the industry. We hope you will understand that the blame for the delay in getting approval for your claim rests with the shop that would ask a customer to accept such a receipt.

We certainly hope your next claim will go a lot smoother.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Once I was done paying off my car and my warranty ran out, I tried to make sure that if it ended up that I'd have any problems, it'd get taken care of. I thought it'd be nice to get an extended warranty and when the lady from Protect My Car called, she was really polite. My wife and I were riding down the road at the time and we took a hunch on them that they were going to be okay.

Last month, we had a problem. The compressor went out on my wife's car and the way that I remembered from talking to the lady online was that the warranty covers bumper-to-bumper. But at first, the rep that I talked to was saying that I was going to pay for the whole thing. But he went back, viewed the conversation, and under his discretion, it seemed that he was telling me it was bumper-to-bumper. But they were saying my Chrysler has it but the BMW of my wife doesn’t. That didn't make sense since we got both of them at the same time. In the end, they paid half of the bill and we had to pay half of it.

That was our first experience and before that, we were under the impression that with Protect My Car, you just take the car to the shop that you want and let the shop know that it’s going to be on the warranty. But now, we know how it goes that you have to call them first and they'll tell you where would be the best place to go. Other than that, the technicians did a wonderful job and I would go back to them right now.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. Different coverage plans cover different components. Vehicles are qualified based on age and mileage for the highest level of coverage. Since you vehicle and your wife's vehicles each have different age and mileage values, they qualified for different levels of coverage. We should add here that NO company can offer "bumper to Bumper" coverage, only the vehicle manufacturer can do that. We apologize if there was any confusion on those issues.

Although the repair to your wife's vehicle was not technically covered, we did provide assistance on the repair to help you folks out. We appreciate your choosing Protect My Car to help you with both vehicles and hope our good will assistance with the non-covered repair helped make that a little easier for you.

Thank you again for your comments and your rating.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I was calling a supposed number of Chase Bank that a rep gave me and I wound up calling Protect my Car. Their rep told me about their warranty and how it's a really good deal at a great price. He told me that their coverage protects my car and said what they could do for me. He ended up asking for my credit card and selling me their warranty. They sent me all the paperwork. So far, I'm happy with the warranty I got.

Before I got Protect My Car, I had received many spammer calls asking me if I wanted to get an auto warranty. I talked with reps from different companies and discussed their warranties with them. Other warranty companies wanted me to pay an enormous amount of money up front. Alternatively, they wanted me to pay a startup fee and I would then have the warranty for 14 days to review it and make sure I wanna keep it. Then, they would charge me a couple of thousand dollars. I never went with them and I got discouraged from them repeatedly calling me after I requested that they remove me from their call list.

With Protect my Car, I used their warranty, took my car to a dealership and they gave me a loaner car. When I left my service advisor my Protect My Car identification card and told him to contact them if there were any repairs that needed to be done, he called me and said that he had not been able to reach Protect My Car and that he had been on hold for an hour. He said this was one of the reasons why he did not prefer to use warranty companies. I told him that I can call or send an email to the representative that I normally deal with and that rep could get someone to call him back. I got into contact with Tara and she made arrangements for a rep to call my service advisor and get everything processed. This problem could have been due to the time of day or I brought my car to the dealership on a day of the week when Protect My Car had a large amount of phone calls. Still, Tara was able to get things resolved and approved.

The dealership diagnosed all kinds of things and determined that things needed to be done. My car needed electrical work. They also recommended that I get two new tires. I just paid for my deductible and for the tires and Protect my Car covered everything else. I've only had good experiences with this company and it's due to the rep I've been dealing with. She has a great personality and cares about dealing with people. She is a customer service specialist who is committed to Protect My Car and her job. There was a time when I called in to cancel my coverage and I talked to her. She resolved issues and told me to stay in contact with her for any concerns and she would help make sure everything is okay.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.
      We do work hard to make sure this protection is affordable for everyone’s budget. It’s all part of not just doing the right thing, but doing things right for each customer.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I have an older car that doesn't have a lot of miles and I was laid off of my job due to the pandemic, so I thought it would be wise to try to get something in the event something occurred with my car. I wanted to make sure that I could be able to maintain the vehicle without incurring big price tags with repairs. I received a call from a Protect My Car representative and she was very thorough and knowledgeable about the product. She went over everything with me and gave full information about what was covered. She told me I would get an email within this number of days and I would receive this information. I knew what to expect every step of the way, so it took a lot of guesswork out.

I had a lot of questions, so the representative remained calm, answered all of my questions, and handled everything in an extremely professional manner. She also left a number available to me if I had any additional questions after that. I could always call and talk to someone about any other concerns I may have had, but I didn't have any 'cause she covered everything for me. That's why I went with Protect My Car. As far as the coverage for the warranty, everything was reasonable. They were even able to get me in a plan where I had no deductible. Whenever any repairs are made to my vehicle, I don't have to pay anything out of pocket, which was a great blessing when I had to take my car in.

I just provided the documentation that was needed and the service manager had the most communication with them. She made sure that she got everything moving as well. It was a slow process but that was to be expected due to the COVID. My car was at the repair place for about three weeks. However, she did tell me it would be a little while before they would be able to get to my vehicle because of the pandemic. Otherwise, everything was taken care of. The service manager also made sure they were able to put me in a loaner. My daughter was expecting and my mom had chemo treatments, so it was critical that I had a vehicle. All in all, this year has been really difficult and I'm grateful that I have Protect My Car available to assist me.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your review. It always nice to hear when a customer has a good experience. We know you will save a lot of money with this coverage. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Before this pandemic started, Protect My Car explained to me that it was a good coverage, that you could save money if something was to fail. The guy that I was speaking with was really good. But then, he left a few things out when I first got it that I wasn’t in knowledge of, but we got it taken care of. But before that, he told me everything that I have and told me everything that was correct. He acted professionally. It was just some things that he left out that I think that he didn’t intentionally do. It was just we both were moving fast.

He moved fast, trying to get my service, and he might have left a few things out that I needed to know to get it started with them. Because when I took my car to mechanic, they said, “Hey, you gotta wait at least these many days before taking the car to…” I wasn’t aware of that. So, they did a recording and they found that he didn’t explain it to me in the telephone call. So, they called me back and said, I could go ahead and take my car to the mechanic shop because I was right, he didn’t explain it to me.

I felt that he lied to me about one part that I had called in for. I used Protect My Car to get the car fixed, and I paid the other half. It was like he did a good job because he said it was this one thing, but then it came out to be another thing, and then I just was like, “Hey, since you really don’t know what you’re doing, just don’t put regular struts on it.” Because I got the airbag on my car. And after it kept falling on me, after the mechanic was supposed to replace the suspension airbag, then the compressor air pump came, which with the central airbag, they really didn’t get me out of that. And then, because I didn’t use Protect My Car for the compressor pump, I paid 350 extra for it. And then once the mechanic put that on there, it lit up and then it went back down all the time. So, I got with a family friend who told that I could switch them out from the airbag to the regular shock.

I was having a difficult time with issues with the car, and then not being able to take it to a mechanic shop due to all this COVID-19 stuff, and me not working. My job was cutting people off, and then my car started to act up. I’m not too far behind. I may probably be about a payment behind, and I was like, “Can I take it to a mechanic and still use your service?” And they were like, “No. You have to be caught up to date with it.” Also, I’ve been reaching out to them due to the COVID-19 with trying to make the payments. And there was something else that they told me. I called in the other day and spoke with someone, and they did really good on handling my payment, telling me that I can pay this, and when I commit to it some more, I could pay it like this.

Protect My Car is really a good coverage for a person because they do help save money and if you needed something done, they would be there. Even though I couldn’t use it because I had that one payment that was out there, I still see that you can call and they work with you. They wouldn’t just give up on the person that called them.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We do understand your point. Time constraints should never interfere with getting you the answers you need. Rest assured that whenever you have questions, our professional trained staff will be here to assist you. We apologize if our agent did not fully answer your question the first time around.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We appreciate your business.

Original review: March 28, 2021

I acquired a service from someone else then Protect My Car called me back. They offered me a better package and it was great. I've had the warranty for nine months and I've used it twice. They're fantastic. They were great about the things that they wouldn't cover. They said, "These guys are pretty expensive. You should go somewhere else," and they were right.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you for taking time to provide comments on your experience with Protect My Car. Those were very kind words and we appreciate them very much. We take pride in exercising good judgment by doing the right thing, not just doing things right.

Thank you once again for your comments. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything else we can do for you.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I love Protect My Car. The rep explained everything of why it was important for me to have a warranty on my car especially the mileage it was in. I wasn't over the 50,000 yet but I was close to it. She also explained the services they provide and a lot of savings I will be benefiting from if anything does happen with the car. I've used Protect My Car for the regular oil change and tire rotation and it's been easy. All I usually do is call and let them know I'm going in for the day, what type of things I am getting done and what shop I am going into. After that, everything is handled. They tell me, “When the shop is done, let them call us and we'll make payment." So far, they get an A+ from me.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you for those comments. We do appreciate your choosing Protect My Car and we know you'll save a ton of money with the benefits provided by your coverage.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: March 13, 2021

When I talked to the guy from Protect My Car, the warranty seemed pretty good. I got it and I've used it for oil changes. It's very easy. I go right to the dealer, they call up, and Protect My Car pays. They are good. I'll keep it as long as I need it.

Protect My Car response
      Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission to provide great service and needed help to all policy holders. We are very glad the policy, our staff and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal.

Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out.

Original review: March 6, 2021

Did not wanted to cover my transmission when I had told them I got my vehicle from my dad that passed away. And didn't have service documents. They are careless and don't even respect dead. This is the reason I took extended warranty but they really suck. So inhumane.

Protect My Car response

Your frustrations are understood, however, the passing of your father has no bearing on the denial of your claim. Every vehicle has maintenance requirements provided by the manufacturer. According to YOUR vehicle manufacturer, YOUR vehicle requires a transmission service at 150,000 miles. When asked for verification of the required transmission maintenance, you were not able to provide any documentation, therefore, your claim is not able to be covered. Also, looking further into your claims history, we have assisted you previously, for 3 repairs AND an oil change, so we are not careless or disrespectful. The purpose of the policy is to pay for covered component failure, not items that must be replaced at regular intervals as they wear out. These are maintenance items. That means that they must be maintained and replaced at regular intervals. The policy rules require regular maintenance and these rules apply to all customers, so if you would like to provide the needed maintenance records, we will be more than happy to re-evaluate your claim.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I had bought a truck, and I wanted a warranty on it. I talked to Protect My Car on the phone. The rep was very courteous. He was very excellent. Signing up was very easy.

Protect My Car response
      Congratulations on your vehicle purchase, and thank you for your comments! We certainly appreciate them. We make it our mission to provide great service and needed help to all policy holders. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal.

Protect My Car Company Information