Call toll free
3.69/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Protect My Car provides coverage for your vehicle by offering both maintenance plans to cover your oil changes, tire rotations, and other regular maintenance expenses and our extended auto warranty plans. Protect My Car offers extended auto warranty plans for vehicle's that are a 2001 or newer, and have up to 150,000 miles, so your vehicle remains covered far beyond your manufacture's warranty plan. Our extended auto warranty plan cover the cost of your mechanical failures, all repairs are covered on our corporate credit card account, so your only out of pocket expense is your $100 deductible. All of our extended auto warranty plans include 24/7 Roadside Assistance, which can be used for tow services when your vehicle breaks down, or runs out of gas. We will also provide a rental car for you for all repairs that will take 4 hours or more to preform.

If your vehicle has more than 150,000 miles on it, do not hesitate to call because you will still qualify for discounted repairs where your saving you an average of 25% per repair, these plans include 24/7 roadside assistance, and rental car coverage. Call today for more information on our Ambassador maintenance plans.

Once you purchase an extended warranty or an Ambassador maintenance plan our Claims Adjustor's will help you every step of the way with a hassle-free claims process. Our number one priority is to provide you with the level of coverage you need! Call today for a free no obligation quote.

Our customers set up their contract using our no fee payment plan allowing for small monthly payments to be made for as long as 24 - 36 months making our coverage affordable for everyone. With our no fee payment plan the cost for real coverage is less than $2 per day. Call today and activate your policy with as little as $99 down. All customers have a full 30 day money back guarantee!

Protect My Car Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2275 Protect My Car Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

WATCH OUT SENIOR CITIZEN and MILITARY. I purchased Protect My Car’s warranty to provide a financial cushion for my F250 as it reached the high mileage stage. About 2 months in, I started a claim to have my oil cooler replaced, and it turned into the most protracted, confusing, and infuriating mess I could imagine. I called the customer service to open my claim and she told me she to take it to an authorized mechanic and let me know if she needed anything further. I never heard anything from them for a week, so I assumed all was well. The repair shop followed up with the email estimate, and repairs, and I had to call claims to ascertain the status. It was then I was told that I had gone about the process wrong, and wouldn’t be covered for the cost of repairs, the shop needed to provide labor hours and part numbers. I knew something was rotten about the company, At that point, I was annoyed, but knew the service wasn’t for me.

The Company never send you any hard documentation or policy they claim they are a green company so you have to memorize the steps by to file a claim and beware if you forget one of the steps it an excuse to denial of your claim but was told how I hadn’t gone about processing my claim correctly. When I asked to speak with a manager, I was informed that it would take 24-48 hours to receive a call back from a manager, and at that point, I was done. Doing business with this company was more frustrating, annoying, misleading, and infuriating than I’d ever want to deal with again. I spoke with someone from Protect My Car over the phone. It was a good sales pitch and it worked out well. They were very professional at that time. However, nothing that was advertised actually really happened. If they went by the things that were prompt and what they have in writing, then they would be a great company, BUT it not!!!

Protect My Car response
We appreciate your providing your comments. We do advise every customer, including senior citizens, military personnel and, in fact, all vehicle owners, that the coverage will save 50% on vehicle repairs as long as a claim is filed with the claims administrator. In your situation, you authorized the work but neither you nor the shop you chose to use bothered to file a claim with the claims administrator and you authorized the work to be done by the shop.
That's a little like trying to buy auto insurance to cover an accident you had the day before.
We do email all contracts to our customers and will gladly provide a hard copy upon request.

We appreciate your comments.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I took my car in to have some work done at a Honda dealer. I got a quote before I even told them that I had an extended warranty. Afterwards the dealer tried to get the claim taken care of as quick as possible but a 2 hour repair turned into 34 hours without a car. Was told the shop sent an estimate of around 626 so I paid 313 for the deductible and the next day they still had not sent the repair approval to the dealership. I had to contact PMC to have someone call and do this so my car would get repaired. After 7 more hours I was contacted by the dealer.

I needed to come in and sign the receipt to be faxed to PMC so they could pay the remainder over the 313 (that I paid) and at that time the total charges for the repair was 487.28 which is 138.72 less than the quote they stated they got at the beginning. I have only had this coverage since Sept so with the cost of the monthly fee and the 313 I could have paid the repair myself plus the one oil change that they did so where have I saved anything. My wife was also stranded on the side of the road and the roadside rescue stated they could not find the account to get roadside rescue so I paid 800 for towing so I have spent more than PMC has on this deal. They have only done one thing - RIPPED ME OFF and made money for themselves.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. Happy to help you understand how much the coverage helped you.
Your contract says that "your repair cost for the entire CONTRACT PERIOD (after the WAITING PERIOD) will never be more than 50% of the LICENSED REPAIR FACILITY’s original estimate for repair".
The shop provided our claims administrator with a written estimate showing a total estimate of the repair of $627.24. As provided by the guarantee clearly specified in your contract (and as quoted above) your repair cost for this repair would not be more than 50% and 50% of the original repair estimate of $627.24 came to $313.62, which, as you stated was EXACTLY what you paid for this repair.
We regret that you were unable to understand that without the coverage this repair would have cost $627.24, instead of just $313.62. The additional savings ($69.98) was simply not provided for in the contract.

In point of fact, having only paid $200 in premiums, you have already saved $375, with this repair and the free oil change. Glad the coverage helped you so much.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Looking at buying an older used car. Filled out info on 5 different extended warranty sites. Got a call back from 2 OTHER companies that gave me the info in less than 2 minutes. When PMC called me, I was on the phone with them for 10 minutes getting a huge sales pitch which included savings on non-car related junk which I don't care about and don't need (and never ends up being a discount anyway).

At the 10 minute mark I had already been put on hold for about a minute to check if my car would be covered. (I had already provided ALL the details on my car through the website so they should have known by that point.) And then transferred to someone new to handle my call because I would get a Veteran discount. Too bad I had already been told the policy would be $x over y months and I am really good at math so when I was told what my special deal was as a Veteran it turned out to be less than 4% off. Wow, what a savings. It was made to sound better because the monthly payment was lower but it was stretched out over more months. I guess they figure most people can't do math in their head that fast.

At 11 minutes into the call the "Veteran specialist" asked to put me on hold so he could verify that they would cover my car. Ummm, you already did that. This is a sales tactic (second time they used it on me in the same 11 minute call) used to get people to worry about whether they can "qualify" so that when they get back on the phone and say "yes" the customer feels "lucky" and they are more apt to buy. I hung up while on hold. They tried to call me back but I don't do business with companies that jerk me around with phony sales hooks.

Oh, BTW, their price was BETWEEN the two other companies' prices and because it is an older car, PMC has a 50% deductible. The other two companies covered the same types of repairs but only had a $100 "per incident" deductible, kind of like a copay at the doctor. Sure, if I had a $100 claim with PMC I would "only" pay $50 and with the others I would pay $100, but you don't buy insurance (which is what a warranty is) to cover little repairs ($100). You buy insurance to cover the big repairs (like $500+), which would end up costing you $100 with the other guys but costing you 50% with PMC. $2000 repair? Other guys it costs you $100, with PMC it costs you $1,000. BTW, most repairs that really need to be done cost way more than $200, which is the break even point for their deductible compared to other companies.

Bottom line, I don't know about their coverage for cars that are not so old but the "old car" coverage is terrible. Their sales pitch is a waste of your time and the fringe benefits they explain to you during the sales pitch are useless. I also don't know about how well they handle claims since I am not doing business with them. I don't leave reviews all the time and when I do I usually try to be as positive as possible, but PMC's sales tactics really irked me. Make sure you shop around. PMC might end up being your best bet but I certainly won't give them any more of my time, which is more valuable than money. Plus the fact that they made a big deal out of the Veteran discount (which I appreciate) only to have it be next to nothing but made to sound better by stretching the payments out is really reprehensible.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. What sound like "sales tactics" are actually our ability to cover vehicles other companies wont, at a much lower price. We are glad you took the time to speak with our agents and hope you find what you are looking for.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

In July of 2017 I took my Ford F350 Super Duty Pick-up to a local transmission and auto repair because of issues detected in rear differential. Protect My Car pressured repair facility to use substandard Chinese made parts which the owner of the repair facility refused to do. Left in limbo, and finally directed repair facility to get it done as I needed the vehicle. Bottom line is United Services Contract Group (The Claims Adjuster Protect My Car) dropped the ball and it was only after suggesting I get the State Insurance Commissioner and Attorney General-Consumer Protection Bureau involved did I finally receive a settlement nearly a year later which was only for 18% of the total cost of repair. What a JOKE!!!

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We were happy to provide the reimbursement to you and only regret that you were unable to provide a paid receipt to document the reimbursement until many months later.
We provide this service for customers all the time and always require a paid receipt in order to complete the reimbursement. We are sorry that you felt that was an unnecessary step.
Also, so you know, we only use OEM parts for repairs.

Thanks for your comments.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I chose to try PMC gold plan for 30 days. It initiated after 14 days. And they finally sent hard copy documentation after three weeks elapsed. I called to cancel after 29 days they were difficult to reach, even more difficult to get them to comply, attempting to continue to sell me on their services. Then they failed to honor their verbal contract and billed my credit card for additional month. They failed to honor their agreement with me and that would make them untrustworthy for them to hold up to their agreements. They are slow and inefficient regarding getting their customers documents, this might mean they are equally as slow in fulfilling their claims... Don't make any verbal contracts with these people, get a hard copy and read the fine print before you agree, you might need a lawyer.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We area green company and provide contract materials and claims information by email. Most customers are pleased with the fast and efficient processing of their contracts and claims. However, we are always happy to provide a hard copy upon request.
We are always happy to honor legitimate requests from our customers.

Thank you for trying the coverage. We hope you find a company that you are comfortable with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I had two previous service contracts with Protect My Car for my vehicle in the past and have never called in for a need. But the first time I called in for a need was when the cylinders in my engine went out and Protect My Car declined the service. Then, they cancelled the policy which was after I paid for two full policies. They told me it was because I changed the wheels on the car. I asked them what did the wheel have to do anything with the cylinder in the engine. They told me that I made modifications. I told them I bought it that way from the dealership and I was told that the serial number says it was supposed to be 18-inches rim but I got 20-inched rim. I was looking at a huge bill to buy a new engine.

My interaction with their staff was horrendous. They were telling me why I lied and why I falsified documents. It was when I got a little steamed because I did not lie. I talked to half a dozen reps because they come and go quickly. It was a battle and a half. The dealership was calling, kept on the phone for over an hour waiting on call waiting. Not only did they declined the service, but they canceled my policy without an opportunity for reimbursement for everything I paid for. They said they would not reimburse me because I lied even though I had the original receipts from Irvine Chevrolet, buying the vehicle as it was.

After a year of having a conversation with them, fighting it and threatening legal action, they offered that I buy a new policy. The new policy would only cover 50% but it would allow "modifications". So, I bought the policy to be able to get my engine repaired since they agreed to cover a pre-existing condition if I bought the new one. I was kind of forced to and it was a horrendous nightmare. I bought it under duress because if not, I had a useless vehicle. I told them that if we buy a new engine, I will continue to pay the monthly amount and they do not have to worry about the engine because it is a brand-new engine from GM and it is covered for three years and unlimited miles.

When we went through it after I bought the contract, they told me they found an engine in a Pick-A-Part and they said that they can get it priced at an amount and they were gonna cover 50% of it. But I told them that it was about an engine replacement. I was told that my engine was used and they were gonna buy me a used engine so we started fighting about it. I wound up paying for more than 50% of the removal replacement of the engine myself because the most they would pay for was a refurb, which I was okay with then I would pay the bill. But I kept telling him a refurb is only 90-day warranty versus the three-year warranty for a full one. So, I paid the difference.

Protect My Car changed their company name three times over the six years that I was with them. I figured that they did that was because I started doing Better Business Bureau searches and there were so many people complaining that they were changing their names only because they had bad reputation. It was a year and a half of not a good time but since then, they have done better.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for those comments. We do have thousands of contract holders and we do have to treat all of them the same. We never suspected that you were less than honest about the modifications to your vehicle. When you were initially asked about modifications (that helps us choose the right coverage for your vehicle) and did not tell us about the wheel modifications, it meant that the coverage could not assist you the way it was designed to do. We were able to change you coverage to the plan that was able to help you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I purchased Protect My Car’s warranty to provide a financial cushion for my SUV as it reached the high mileage stage. About 6 months in, I started a claim to have my transfer case replaced, and it turned into the most protracted, confusing, and infuriating mess I could imagine. I called the rep to open my claim and she told me she would contact the dealership and let me know if she needed anything further. I never heard anything from them for a week, so I assumed all was well. The dealership followed up with the estimate, and repairs two weeks later, and I had to call claims to ascertain the status. It was then I was told that I had gone about the process wrong, and wouldn’t be covered for the cost of repairs.

At that point, I was annoyed, but knew the service wasn’t for me, and asked to cancel service. It was then that I was transferred to a retention agent who implored me to reconsider while they reviewed my claim to assist me. I relented until the next day. The next day, I was informed that my claim was approved, and that gave me a sigh of relief that at least they were applying common sense and things were moving in the right direction. They asked for my 50% deductible payment and I completed it. Two days later, PMC hadn’t paid the dealership, and my car wasn’t released, so I called claims to find out what was the source of the hold up. The rep told me that they were only paying for $335 worth of repairs. I asked them when I would receive the difference of the $1,200 that I paid and was told that I wouldn’t receive one.

The total cost of repairs was $2,490, so $1,500 was what they would cover, INCLUDING the $1,200 I had already paid them. I asked how they considered $300 above my deductible, plus another $1,000 could be considered a 50% deductible per the contract, but was told how I hadn’t gone about processing my claim correctly. When I asked to speak with a manager, I was informed that it would take 24-48 hours to receive a call back from a manager, and at that point, I was done. Doing business with this company was more frustrating, annoying, misleading, and infuriating than I’d ever want to deal with again. I’ll yell from the rooftops how terrible they’ve been.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to help you understand the coverage more clearly. In order to guarantee a 50% reduction in repair costs we reduce labor costs, parts cost and pay any difference in cash to the shop you choose to use. That's why both our agents and the contract
ask you to call us BEFORE you authorize the shop to charge you the higher amount. When you authorize the initial rate the shop quotes to you, it means we cannot go to bat for you to get those costs reduced, since you already told the shop you approved of those higher rates. That's why you ended up paying more than you should have. We regret that it happened.

We are glad we were able to help you avoid most of the costs on that last repair and hope you will contact us and let us work with you when you need another repair in the future.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I had high miles on my vehicle, and I had replaced just about everything on it. It would be nice to have some warranty if something went wrong. I Googled and I probably shouldn't have done that because I've gotten about 25 calls in the last month from various warranty companies and they all pretend like I'm with them. I find it very irritating. But the reps from Protect My Car were great. They were very polite, very helpful, and they returned calls fairly quickly. It didn't take very long to process the request for the repair so they saved me time and aggravation.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those comments. Saving time and aggravation as well as your hard earned money is what this coverage is all about. We are glad you chose Protect My Car and we hope you won't hesitate to let us know how we can help you.

thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I got a service contract from Protect My Car for my son's car. It is an older vehicle, and it had a lot of miles on it. My son went off to college, and I wanted to make sure he was covered if anything happened. Last summer, the engine died and we had to have it replaced. The process was a little daunting to get it replaced. In fact, it's back in the shop but the shop is not going through Protect My Car to get help with payment with the garage. The shop had to go back and forth with them because the vehicle ended up being a diamond amongst all the other gems. It's one of four that was made in a particular month. Had it been the end of the year, it would have been one of the many kind of engines that they could get for this car, and that wasn't the case. It was a very particular engine that had to be put into it. As far as Protect My Car's customer service, they were knowledgeable. Everything worked out.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We regret that you feel the coverage may not have been able to assist you. Shops need to call our claims administrator and not jump to the conclusion that we cannot help them find a specific part, or engine in this case. You are our customer and we are here to help you. Don't let the shop talk you our of getting the help you need.
We will be in touch to see how we can best help you with this situation.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My sister was telling me about getting a service contract for my vehicle, and they had it for a while, so I decided to get one as well. I purchased from Protect My Car and my experience with their rep was great. He told me that if anything happened, I could call him and the people there would be right on it at the soonest time. So, I filed a claim when I locked my keys in the car and their reps were friendly and helpful. There was one incident where I paid the guy cash and to get my money back, he told me to call Protect My Car. But I tried to do it and it was too much. It was just $50, so I said forget it. At the moment, I still have car problems but my money is kinda tight. And the repair of my motor mounts is too expensive for me right now. Other than that, Protect My Car has been great and I’ve been trying to recommend my friends at work to them.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your trying Protect My car coverage and hope you will never hesitate to let us know how we can help you.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Protect My Car was offered to me and I needed a warranty, so I took it. However, it didn't compare well to the auto warranty that came with the car from the dealership that I had prior. The manufacturer’s warranty covered more at no cost while Protect My Car had a certain percentage. I used it just for the transmission. I had to contact Protect My Car and have them contact the transmission shop. Once they got them, everything worked out then I paid my deductible. I decided to cancel my policy with them because of the price, though.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We are glad the coverage helped you, even though your budget forced you to discontinue the coverage. As vehicles age and get more miles, coverage is very hard to come by. We are one of the few companies that help folks with older, higher mileage vehicles. We look forward to helping you again when it is right for you.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Initially, I talked to a few companies but Protect My Car had answers. It was just a better experience. It was easier to do business with them so I went with them and the person I dealt with was very knowledgeable. He was very helpful in helping me weigh the pros and cons. Plus it wasn’t a high-pressure type of sale. It was more of a relaxed conversation. He just presented the value of what we were discussing.

My vehicle is in really good shape. However, it was 13 years old when I got the warranty a year ago and I thought it was a wise thing to do. Things happen and as a matter of fact, within a year, something did happen. And the claims process was very simple. I pretty much put the repair shop in contact with Protect My Car and they worked through all the details. I had a major thing done to my car and it was painless and easy. Also, as part of that offer, there were some free oil changes. I anticipated those to be somewhat problematic. Not much is for free these days. However, it was really easy. I gave the shop the number. They called and got paid.

The customer service team was also very easy to deal with and I would recommend the company. But Protect My Car has to make it easy for the client to spend money. This is something that every business, no matter what type of business, should really consider though. They shouldn't run clients through the mill. If someone wants to spend money, they have to do everything they can to make it easy and make it a pleasant experience. I’m in customer service and that’s what I preach to my staff. I also wish the coverage was greater but 50% on a 13-year old car is pretty good. The cost is also fair and the quality of the services they've provided, to date, has been very good. So the coverage was a good investment on my part.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those comments. We could not agree more. We are one of the few companies that will cover older, high mileage vehicles and still keep the cost within reason for most folks.
Please let us know what you feel would be a more convenient method of payment and we will do all we can to accommodate you.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I wanted to have a little extra warranty for my car and my mom told me about Protect My Car. Their rep was very nice, helpful and knowledgeable about the product he was trying to sell. He helped me pick the right one for my budget that will have more protection for my car. One time, I took my car to the shop and the shop sent over all the information that was wrong with my car. Protect My Car then sent the paperwork back for allowing the mechanic to fix it. They paid half and I paid them the other half. It was all handled in that one interaction. I had a good experience and I know that if anything happens to my car, I’m able to call and get help from them.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those comments. We appreciate your being part of the Protect My Car family. We are very glad the coverage has helped you with your repairs and has saved you so much money. THat is what the coverage is all about.

Thanks again for taking time to provide your comments.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

We have high-end cars, and Protect My Car was affordable for us. Twice, I’ve taken a different car under their protection and they don’t treat us fairly. I called them with a complaint and wanted to ask questions, and they blew me off, hurried up and got off the phone. One time, I took my wife's car in and I almost had to cuss them up because we sent the car all the way to North Hollywood. The people called in and gave them the pricing, and they denied it. I had to go all the way back to North Hollywood, get the car and bring it all the way back to Lake Elsinore which is almost a two-hour drive, one way.

A couple of months ago, I took my car in to have it serviced and they denied the service. The auto store quoted them a price, so we paid half of that quoted price. Protect My Car negotiated with the auto parts store and got them to make the price lower. When they did that, we still had to pay the first negotiated price. So, they ended up paying lower, and we ended up paying more. They didn't even pay for the headlight, and I was livid. I had to pay for the headlight. Another time, we asked for a rental car and they got real busy, and then they didn’t wanna give us the car. I’ve had this service almost three years, and my wife has had it almost two because I recommended her to obtain the service. I kick myself in the butt for recommending, and that’s because of the way that they treat her and myself.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. thank you too for having kept your coverage for over eight months.
Please call anytime you have a question as to what is covered under your contract, or simply read the contract. It explains Headlights, tires and non-mechanical components are not covered.
We are glad that on the four claims you have filed you have already saved over $2,100.00. That's more than double what you paid for the coverage.
That's how good coverage should work.

Remember, too, that the guarantee is to save you 50% of your shops estimate. We do that by reducing parts and labor costs and paying the balance in cash. That's why you only paid 50% of the original estimate.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I didn’t wanna be paying the full amount of service on a vehicle that was old and past warranty and Protect My Car offered me the best deal for what I was paying. I haven’t had any problems with the company, except for recently, I was kinda disappointed that they wanted the 50% deductible. It would be for the repairs that were done delivered to them versus to the dealer that I was working with. Previously, I paid the dealer his 50%, then he collected his 50% from Protect My Car. They changed the parameter of what they wanted to do and they ended up putting a new motor in the car, which I didn’t have a problem with. The problem is they gave more information to the service dealer than they did to me, and the information they gave to the service dealer was different than what they gave me. And in turn, they were charging me 50% of the initial cost.

When they did the deal with the service dealer, with the new motor, it was about a $500 difference that I could have saved that they got extra. In numbers, the deal would have been $2,800 for them to do the heads and fix everything that needed to be done. I would have paid 1,400 and they paid 1,400, but because they came up with the idea of putting a new motor in, they only paid 900 for the motor, instead of 1,400. The $500 should’ve come back to me and when I asked them about it, they gave me a wishy-washy answer but never really the answer that I wanted. I didn’t wanna get my dealer in trouble with them, but in turn, they should have given me the $500 back or a credit.

I’m happy with getting a new motor and everything came out good. My mechanic did a good job, but I should’ve gotten my $500 back and I was a little disappointed in that. I know what scam they pulled on me and I won’t recommend them. I’ll keep them as long as I got the car until I hit my max mileage, but if I ever do that on another vehicle, it won’t be with them only because they cheated me out of 500 bucks. Overall, they did everything that they were gonna do in a timely manner, but it took them a long time to get that motor in. They had to come back with a different vehicle, so it was delayed by about five days.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to respond to your questions.
Your coverage guarantees that you pay only 50% of the estimate prepared by the shop you choose to use. We do that by reducing parts and labor costs and paying the balance in cash. That's why you only paid 50% of the original estimate. You have already saved over $2,000 on just the first three claims (which is more than twice what the coverage has cost). That's hardly a scam. Before dropping the coverage, think about how much you would have had to pay without the coverage.

Thanks for choosing Protect My Car

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I needed to take care of some repairs on my vehicle and I didn’t feel that I needed to pay the full price, especially when I first purchased the vehicle and within three months, I had to rebuild my transmission. I shopped around and found Protect My Car. There are other programs out there that might be a little bit better, but I already hooked up with them. And even though I looked around a little bit, I went for the first thing I found because I was in a hurry to get my vehicle fixed.

The only problem I had is that not too many shops accept their program. It’s also a little pricey for the monthly on certain things that I can’t get done. I’d still have to pay almost two grands a year. When I take it in to get work done, I have to pay half so I would think that part of that money would go towards the payment for the repair. But the quality of the service is good. They’re quick at responding when I take my car in to get the work done and paying things. I’m a mechanic myself so I know more or less how things work. Protect My Car is a good program.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. we are one of the few companies that help folks with older, higher mileage vehicles. We do everything we can to make the premiums comfortable on any budget.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I wanted to have extra protection for my car and I couldn’t find any other provider so I got Protect My Car. I used them only once and I’m thinking about canceling it. When my car’s transmission went out, it was a big runaround. I had to be there with the company who was working on my car. Then, they couldn’t get a hold of the correct person at Protect My Car. They kept on transferring over and over. The whole thing went from being 10 to 15 minutes to a whole hour, just for the shop to get a hold of someone on their side to help out with the payment.

Protect My Car could make it a quicker process with all the technology we have these days. The whole payment system can be improved. They have you call one person, and that person has to transfer you to another person. So, it’s like the big loop around. You pay for this convenience and it’s not even convenient. They give you a hard time just to pay for something and I’m paying monthly for this.

Protect My Car response
We appreciate your comments. most repairs and approvals can be done without significant delay, but some repairs take longer simply because we need to make sure the right repair is being done completely. There would be no bigger waste of your time than if you had to go back to the shop after the work was done because it was done wrong. It may take a little more time, but it is worth it to make sure the right repair is done right the first time.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My warranty ran out and I got Protect My Car because of their price and their coverage. My interaction with their sales rep was great. He was informative, told me what I needed to know and convinced me to buy their product. They let me know all the things that were covered, and that's exactly what I needed to suit my particular year, make, and model of my vehicle. And it was better than the other that I had because I got the highest level of protection that I could from my year and the mileage. So I was all in.

Purchasing the protection was great. I had a claim and it was about four things that the mechanic found that needed servicing, and Protect My Car took care of the claim. It was a bit of a struggle but it worked out in the end. The only problem that I had was when it was time for the claim. They kept giving the mechanic trouble. They kept sending inspectors out so I wound up having my rental for about 10 days. It was about $400 for my rental but they only covered $100 of it. Nonetheless, the quality of their service was great. I feel comforted. Since I started using Protect My Car plan, I definitely feel more secure knowing that my car is covered at the end of the day.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for letting everyone know how the coverage has helped you. Our customer's peace of mind is our primary goal. We are very glad the coverage hs done that for you and has saved you so much money.

Thanks again for your comments and for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I needed protection based on the history of my vehicle and Protect My Car had the lowest price. Purchasing the protection plan was fairly simple. I gave them the VIN number, they gave me the pricing based on the number of years I wanted to have the warranty and that was it. They helped me understand the pricing and the restrictions of the warranty.

I have already filed a claim for a transmission replacement and another for a routine oil change but that wasn't the most fun. They explained to me some of the restrictions on the warranty and what would be covered and what wouldn't. They made claims that certain things in my car weren't factory when they were. We had a bit of a discrepancy between the status of my car and what they said but they gave a remediation plan which I accepted, so we moved forward. Notwithstanding the modifications issues, the coverage has been good. I feel more reassured that I don't have to fix everything myself. If you're not mechanically inclined, Protect My Car comes in pretty handy. Just be mindful of what you think you may get claims paid for.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We are glad you chose Protect My Car and that we have been able to save you so much money on your repairs.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I bought a car for my niece back in April of 2014 and when she couldn't keep up with the payment in April 2015, a year later, I took the car back from her. So, I noticed then that it is a German car, it’s a 2006, and I needed to have a warranty on that type of car. I always try to find other competitors that gave a better offer. With Protect My Car, I'll pay 50% for repairs and they'll pay the other 50%, and they deal with a facility who does the type of work and takes that type of warranty.

I spoke with their rep on the phone when I had to give them a credit card. So every month, they automatically take the payment from the credit card. It's $90.06. It's for five years, and there are 18 months where I don't have to pay. I filed a claim on the 29th of December last year and they paid 50% of it. The process was good. When I called in, they gave me everything that would be covered under the warranty, and I dealt with a foreign auto body that dealt with the car. Overall, Protect My Car's service was good and I had a good experience.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that very much. We are very pleased to have helped you with the recent repair and we look forward to helping you in the future when you need help.
Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is any thing we can do to help out.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had Protect My Car service contract for a couple of years. The person I worked with was nice. He went through the whole thing with me and explained the details. When I submitted a claim, I had to call and speak with somebody, then you have to take it to a licensed place to have it done. Then, they need to call and get the approval. And although the claims process took longer than it should’ve cause of the back and forth trying to get all the information, the coverage is good for the price I was paying. I benefited from it. All my friends know about Protect My Car. I told them all about it back when I had it. But the cost has gotten higher and higher. In fact, I paid $50 a month. I called about my same-year car I got now with fewer miles on it. It’s a different car, but they wanted more than double my payment that I was on before. It's too high so I can’t do it now.

Protect My Car response

We cannot thank you enough for the great comments. It really means a lot to us all to know our efforts are really helping give our policy holders good peace of mind. We do work very hard to make sure the policy is affordable, and that policyholders get the kind of help they need when they need help.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I bought a car and it didn’t have a warranty on it. I knew that I should have something that’s worth the buck after I first got the car because you never know how people took care of it before. I read some good reviews about Protect My Car such as they are reliable and they did what they claimed they were gonna do. They covered the repairs of 50% of the book value. I saw favorable reviews and wanted the warranty. I didn’t have any trouble signing up with them and the purchase process was pretty straightforward. They wanted money up front to get it started. Now I do an automatic payment out of my checking account every month. I don’t have to write a check every month so it's pretty seamless.

I filed a claim to Protect My Car for the power steering fluid pump that went out and the timing tensioners that needed to be replaced because they were gonna break. I had to take the car to Coventry Cars and had their repair guy give me an estimate. I then talked to an adjuster who asked the credit card company to pay the half of it. At first, Protect My Car denied Coventry as the repair shop and no one also told the repair guy why that was so. He had to talk to Protect My Car. He said that they are the strangest warranty company he had dealt with.

When the car was repaired, I went down and signed the receipt for Coventry saying the car was repaired and took the car away. I left Protect My Car two messages and I've been trying to get a hold of them since Monday but I haven't gotten any return calls. I know is a holiday but aside from my calls, the Coventry guy called Protect My Car a couple of times too but neither one of us has gotten a callback. I'm not real pleased about that, but I'm more upset about the fact I found out yesterday. The guy at Coventry Cars said ProtectMyCar gave him a really bad time about the repairs. They asked him to reduce his prices to make the bill lower. I wasn’t told about it and so I ended up paying more than 50% of the repair, which is what I was only supposed to pay. Protect My Car was supposed to take up the other 50%. They were actually getting more than 50%. I'm not happy with Protect My Car.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We are at a loss to understand what your repair shop told you. the claim was processed and approved the same day we received it and the final invoice was paid the same day we received it from the shop.
The coverage saves you 50% of the original estimate your shop provides. That is done by reducing repair costs on parts and labor and paying any difference in cash to get you the guaranteed result. We are glad that this coverage has saved you so much since you have had it.
All in all, over the six claims processed for you, you have saved twice the amount you have spent in premiums. Not a bad deal at all.
If you ever have any questions, or need explanations, please call us. we work for you and we are always happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Having a service contract for my car seemed like a good idea. However, Protect My Car's protection specialist could have explained the contract better because I thought that I had full vehicle coverage. When I was talking to the guy, he said bumper-to-bumper. But then when I went to put in a claim because my motor went out, I find out that they only covered half and I had to get all my brakes redone, the liner and the calipers. Some of Protect My Car's specialists need some more education. I probably wouldn't have gotten the service contract if the rep would have told me that they only covered half. They didn't cover the engine and replacing the seals. That was another 300 and some dollars I had to pay myself. They only covered the engine block.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We regret that you had a negative experience with the coverage. For older, high mileage vehicles that cannot find coverage anywhere else, we do offer coverage that reduces repair costs by half. The coverage is fully explained at the time of purchase and s clearly defined in the contract. Customers always have thirty days to review the contact risk free. It is unfortunate that even after all that you still did not fully appreciate the coverage.
We are available to answer questions anytime you have one. Our goal is to provide the best possible coverage at the best possible cost to our customers.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

When the warranty on my car ran out, I figured a service contract would be a good investment. Protect My Car reached out to me at that time and when I signed up with them, my interaction with their vehicle protection specialist went well. I spoke with a representative when I had to file a claim and every time I called, someone was there to respond. They answered all the questions that I had and made it simple for me. Their customer service and the way they handled everything were very good. Protect My Car has different coverage plans and the pricing for what I have appeared reasonable. I probably have the wrong package for what I needed but I have had a good experience with them and they are a good company to work with.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those comments. We are very glad you chose Protect My Car. With great rates, towing, maintenance and repairs covered, not to mention rental car reimbursement, it just makes sense to get some protection before you vehicle breaks down and leaves you stranded on the side of road.

Thanks for your comments and for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I use my vehicle for a business and I need it to be running at all times. I don't have time for it to sit. I googled warranty providers and Protect My Car popped up. The specialist and I had to go back and forth a few times. I had some specific questions and I wanted to make sure the contract covered everything, and they were able to get back with me on everything. I wanted all the mechanicals -- the motor and the transmission -- to be covered, and that's what I got.

I had work done on the vehicle and when I had it done, it was very aggravating. I did not like it all. In the end, I was gonna pay like three-quarters of the cost and Protect My Car was gonna pay a quarter of it, which isn't what I signed up for. It was closer to the full price that I was gonna be paying. In the beginning, I stressed to them that I only use Ford manufactured parts on my vehicle that is a Ford and I don't use aftermarket cheap parts that I'm gonna have to replace again in a year. However, they wanted to sell me the cheaper parts and give me the money for the parts. I went back and forth with them after I got my vehicle. They said that they renegotiated and that I paid my portion of the unnegotiated price. They also said that that was the way they operate. If they can pay half and I pay half, I should pay half of the negotiated price, not the pre-negotiated price.

I wasn't also given a loaner. I was without my vehicle for two weeks while they were going back and trying to figure out which parts they were allowed to use and which parts they weren't allowed to use. I was saying that we are using Ford parts on my truck. They were injectors and glow plugs, and those are very important parts of a diesel truck. I was completely dissatisfied and I would not recommend Protect My Car to anybody, but everything has been said and done and they worked with me in the end and deposited some money back into my account, and paid it to where it was half and half. I had to go through managers to get it done, but they owned up to saying they were wrong.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. So you will know, we only use OEM parts and warrant those parts for 12 months or 12,000 miles. We are very glad the coverage saved you over $1,700 on a $3,400 repair.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I purchased a contract with ProtectMyCar because if I have vehicle repairs, I don't want to pay for it out of my pocket. ProtectMyCar took care of me. They'll always do it without having any problem and misunderstanding. They answered all of my questions, and they were upfront with me. They did everything I needed them to do. I filed a claim once and they put a new motor in my truck. Everything went according to plan and schedule. My vehicle wasn't missing long.

Protect My Car response
We do tailor make the coverage to accommodate older vehicles with high mileage that simply cannot get coverage elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We've been going on about two years with ProtectMyCar and initially, we signed up because a gentleman recommended them. When we had a claim, we didn't understand the process as far as what we had to pay first for them to take care of the business. Also, the policy only paid half of the cost of the repair and it took so long to get the car fixed. But ProtectMyCar's reps did what they were supposed to do and at the end, they've taken care of the business with us.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. As you may know, most older, high mileage cars simply do not qualify for any coverage. Obviously, those are the vehicles that are most likely to suffer a mechanical breakdown. Our Ambassador policies were created with just those vehicles in mind. The coverage provides a wide variety of benefits including free oil changes, tire rotations and a reduction of 50% in repair costs. Depending on the repair, the repair time can be longer than expected, but we do make sure the repairs are done right the first time.
We are happy to have helped you with your repair and look forward to doing so again when you need us.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I like Protect My Car's coverages and when I needed the warranty, they helped me out. They covered whatever I needed according to the terms and conditions of the policy. I filed a claim one time and they came out with their own payment. Everything was good.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for providing your comments on your experience with Protect My Car. Providing our policy holders with good peace of mind is our most important goal. We are glad to give the help you needed with your repairs and we stand ready to do so again when the need arises. What will never change is our willingness to go the extra mile to help you when you need it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I activated a new credit card and during the activation, the promotion from Protect My Car came up and they transferred me. I talked to their rep and it seemed very convenient at the time. I was convinced easily and I took advantage of it. It turned out to be very good for me. The rep I talked to was very professional and everything was in order. Then, five months after the purchase of the program, my transmission failed. I called Protect My Car service and told me to take it to the dealer. I went there and they dealt with it. Everything with Protect My car was on time and if there were issues, they would always return my calls. They are very reliable, so I don’t have to worry about anything. If the car broke down, they have a towing service available. It’s a pretty amazing experience.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those comments. One reason we have had so much success is just what you mentioned. We treat each customer as an individual with individual needs. We know that one size does not fit all. Working with each person to get the right coverage at the right cost and get the repairs done with no hassle really helps give folks good peace of mind.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. Glad to have you.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My car is a 2009 Cadillac and parts are fairly expensive and having help with the maintenance cost like that is a luxury for a luxury. Protect My Car was the first one that popped up on Google at that time when I was searching and decided to go with them. I filed a claim for my transmission and the mechanic told them that it could’ve been due to the radiator or the flood but because he mentioned flood, Protect My Car didn’t cover it. I had to pay $3,000 by myself.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We regret that we were unable to approve your claim. We can only go by what the shop you chose to use reports to us. Since the coverage is for mechanical breakdown,and does not cover damage due to accidents, floods or other external events, we had to deny that claim.
While it is always important to us to help as much as we can, we do recognise our responsibility to all contract holders.

Thank you again for your comments.

Protect My Car expert review by Lauren Fix

Three levels of coverage available: Driveline, Select and Supreme. Most models of cars are accepted. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee if you change your mind.

• Flexible payment terms: Protect My Car offers long and flexible payment terms, ranging from 36 to 48 months, to make your monthly payment as affordable as possible with no hidden fees.

• Available all over the U.S. and Canada with Trip Interruption: Use your Protect My Car policy anywhere in North America. If you breakdown more than 100 Miles away from home you’ll be reimbursed for lodging and meals.

• Roadside assistance: Protect My Car includes 24/7 roadside assistance with their extended warranties. Their roadside assistance program includes towing, flat tire service, fuel delivery, lockout service and jumpstarts. Customers can also get a rental car while their car is being repaired in the shop.

• Money back guarantee: Protect My Car offers a 30-day money back guarantee so customers can review their coverage for a full 30 days and ensure they are 100 percent satisfied with their purchase. If they are not, Protect My Car will issue a hassle-free refund.

• Policies for all drivers: Protect My Car offers plans for all drivers no matter how many miles you have put on your vehicle. Enjoy full coverage, comprehensive coverage or enhanced powertrain coverages.

• Best for: Used car owners, new car owners, busy parents and high mileage drivers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Protect My Car Company Information