Protect My Car
4.03/5

Protect My Car

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Protect My Car provides mechanical breakdown and maintenance coverage for your vehicle by offering both maintenance plans and extended auto warranties. Maintenance plans cover oil changes, tire rotations, and up to 50% off on mechanical repair costs. Extended auto warranty plans cover vehicles up to ten years old or newer that have up to 125,000 miles – keeping your vehicle covered far beyond your manufacturer's warranty plan.

Extended auto warranty plans cover labor and parts cost of your mechanical failures and all repairs are paid with our corporate credit card account, so your only out-of-pocket expense is a $100 deductible. All extended auto warranty plans include 24/7 Roadside Assistance, which can be used for tow services when your vehicle breaks down or runs out of gas. They will also reimburse rental car expenses if the labor time for your repairs takes longer than 4 hours.

Call today for more information on the Ambassador maintenance plans. Claims adjusters help you every step of the way with a hassle-free claims process. Call today for a free, no-obligation quote.

Customers set up their contract using the no-fee payment plan. Small monthly payments can be made for as long as 24 to 42 months, making coverage affordable for everyone. With our no-fee payment plan, the cost for coverage is less than $2 per day.

Call today and activate your policy with as little as $99 down. All customers have a full 30-day money back guarantee.

Protect My Car LLC Video
Protect My Car LLC Gallery (1)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Protect My Car allows a long 60-month repayment plan. Although their Ambassador plan only offers partial coverage, Protect My Car’s other plans satisfy a wide array of needs.

PROS

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Longest repayment period

CONS

• Not offered in all states
  • One plan offers only partial coverage

Top Protect My Car Reviews

10/18/2018

12/23/2018

Protect My Car had answers. It was just a better experience. It was easier to do business with them ... and the person I dealt with was very knowledgeable. He was very helpful in helping me weigh the pros and cons. Plus it wasn’t a high-pressure type of sale. It was more of a relaxed conversation.

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is an extended auto warranties broker. They offer options to repay an extended auto warranty plan over 36 or 60 months. Down payments start as low as $99, and Protect My Car estimates most plans cost about $2 a day. Three plans offer everything from basic to bumper-to-bumper coverage, and a plan specially designed for aging cars lets customers save on repairs.

Protect My Car payment

You can request a free quote online from Protect My Car. Down payments come as low as $99, meaning it only costs about $100 to activate your plan. A 30-day money back guarantee, standard among extended auto warranty companies, allows you to cancel your plan in the first 30 days if you haven’t made a claim. This is helpful in case you decide that an extended auto warranty isn’t right for you.

The actual Protect My Car cost comes out to less than $2 a day. The deductible for most of your car repairs will be around $100 with Protect My Car.

Protect My Car offers two repayment period options: 36 months or 60 months. The 60-month payment period is among the longest you will find. Many Protect My Car reviews praise this flexibility in payment. This makes even pricier extended auto warranty plans much easier to repay.

Protect My Car plans

Protect My Car offers three traditional plans in addition to a plan specially designed for older cars, where just a portion of repairs is covered. These three plans are called the Driveline, Select and Supreme plans:

• The Driveline plan is designed for vehicles with high mileage. It covers electrical systems, fuel systems, drive axles, transmission and the engine.
  • The Select plan offers everything the Driveline plan offers, plus coverage for the ABS master cylinder, temperature control, brake system and heating and cooling systems.
  • The Supreme plan covers everything covered in the Select plan, plus coverage for front and rear suspension and steering components. This is the closest thing Protect My Car has to a bumper-to-bumper extended auto warranty.

The plan tailored toward older cars is called the Ambassador plan. It is a little different from the above plans. It is specifically designed for cars with over 150,000 miles. There are no mileage or age restrictions. This plan does not fully cover the cost of repairs. Instead, it covers a portion of costs, saving customers 25 percent on average for repairs.

ServiceDrivelineSelectSupreme
ABS master cylinder
Steering components
Front and rear suspension

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car coverage is limited to cars under 150,000 miles and less than 10 years old. Protect My Car contracts range from 3–5 years in length and are generally transferrable. The liability limit on a Protect My Car extended warranty is a flat rate instead of being based on the value of the car.

Protect My Car roadside assistance comes with all of Protect My Car’s main plans and is available 24/7. This includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump starts. If your car’s in the shop for repairs, Protect My Car will provide up to $30 a day for up to seven days in rental car reimbursements. Those with an Ambassador plan can receive rental car reimbursements of up to $90, or three days at $30 each.

You’ll have to wait 30 days after your contract is signed and drive 1,000 miles before Protect My Car will accept claims. Protect My Car customer service is available 24/7. Protect My Car, unfortunately, is not able to protect cars in California, Florida, New York, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Is Protect My Car worth it?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, Protect My Car allows 60 months to pay it off. The Driveline, Select and Supreme plans offer a wide variety of coverage that will please most customers. The Ambassador plan appeals to those with older cars or cars with high mileage because there are no limits based on mileage or age. Protect My Car warranty reviews also praise the low down payments. Overall, Protect My Car is a good choice for customers looking for a dependable extended auto warranty.

2445 Protect My Car Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I got a service contract for my vehicle, which is an older one and has 20,000 miles on it. If anything major is to happen, I don’t have to come up out-of-pocket with a full expense. Most companies don’t wanna cover you if you go a certain number of miles, and the payment is deductible when you have a lot of miles. With Protect My Car, it's 50%. So, if you're over 100,000 miles, they base the deductible on your mileage that you have on the car. So, they're gonna protect whoever. If you have 200,000 miles, you wanna be protected, and you probably just have to pay 75% of the price to fix the car.

If a transmission would go, you're talking several thousands. So, you only have to come up with $59 or $2,000. And the beautiful part about it is that they shop for the transmission for you. You get the best price on the market for the transmission. They don’t let the dealership do that. Some dealers want to do that and wanna charge you extra fee for them to ship the transmission. I had that situation recently. The rep from Protect My Car made sure I got the best deal possible. He negotiated with me and then he advised me to take the vehicle from that dealership even though it ended up costing me $130 something to take it to somewhere else because once they serviced it, I had to absorb the evaluation cost. They wouldn’t cover for that. But they're good at recommending you to other people that’s gonna really work with you.

They referred me to Meineke in Kingston. They were very good and they told me I didn’t need a transmission. One of the gears was bad, but it sounded like it was coming from the transmission because it was revving really high. The transmission slips and kicks a little bit, but it's not major. I probably need an overhaul or one of those devices inside the transmission needs to be repaired. But last time, the other dealer wanna go full speed saying I need a brand-new transmission. Of course, that’s more money in the pocket for the mechanic and for the company.

With Protect My Car, I feel better having the extra coverage in case anything happens again. They also worked with me after I spoke with them regarding putting off a payment to another date. At this point, I am considering putting the coverage as well on my other car. It also has a lot of miles but it's a really good car. Once you put a car with them, you have to wait 30 days before you could file something because they don’t want people having a problem pre-hand, some fraudulent stuff. Another beautiful part about Protect My Car is that you could take the car to any mechanic, but you wanna make sure before you do that that you let your mechanic know who you're dealing with and you let Protect My Car know who you're dealing with, so this way, they could be onboard with documentations and so forth.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those comments. We appreciate them. Fact is, we are one of the few companies that will help folks with older, higher mileage vehicles. We have plans that will fit almost any budget and will, depending on the plan, save 25%, 50% or 75% of repair costs. Plans include free oil changes and tire rotations, road side assistance, towing and many other benefits.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We appreciate your business.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2019

We’ve been maintaining our car pretty well so far but it was getting old, so we wanted to make sure that we had sort of an insurance for it. We did all the due diligence that we could. We considered an insurance so that in case something would go wrong, we would be covered and be able to take care of those issues. I am a business owner and I receive thousands of emails. On the particular day I received an email from Protect My Car, I saw something. I looked through it and it sounded good. They gave me an overview of what they were about and what the cost of everything was from that perspective. For me, it was a no-brainer to go with them. There are companies that say what they wanna do and not necessarily do it, so I wanted to at least try and see what Protect My Car was about. So far, so good in how they ended the bargain.

Their rep was very knowledgeable. She gave me a lot of understanding as to what we were purchasing and also let me know about a bevy of different things. She have me all the details to ensure I know about the different offers that Protect My Car had that I could take advantage of. That in itself helped me out to where I could move forward, know what package I wanted to get, and what I would then be expecting to have at a later date. One of the things that I had from her was about adding on different cars. That was big for me because I do all the business. I can, not only add one but add another car like a truck on to it. That was important to me.

I am satisfied with the package I got but I thought it could be a little bit cheaper. It was probably more or less expensive than a lot of packages that are out there, so I’m not mad at it at all. I think that because the industry is kind of saturated now when you’re trying to get to one’s dollars and cents, that it could be a little bit smaller. But it’s quality over quantity. It’s not overbearing for most people to handle, whether you are a business owner or you’re just a reckless citizen who may not have a lot of money. It fits right in that price point to where they can also have that insurance to make sure that they are covered in case something goes wrong.

It was a great and positive experience with Protect My Car. It was informative. They followed up. They did everything that they were supposed to do like being informative. They let you know what their offers are and not just hiding certain things from you. It was an experience that allowed me to not worry about any issues going on with my car or truck. I was also able to have something that was affordable so if something goes wrong, I’m ensured that at least 50% of that would be covered and I wouldn’t have to entail all of the cost. That's very important to me.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking time to provide comments on your experience with Protect My Car. We appreciate them very much. We do work hard to make sure your experience with Protect My Car is a positive one and that the whole process, from choosing the right coverage, to making sure it is comfortable on your budget, to fast and efficient claims service, towing and rental car benefits, gives you great peace of mind.

Thank you once again for your comments. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything else we can do for you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I didn’t wanna be paying the full amount of service on a vehicle that was old and past warranty and Protect My Car offered me the best deal for what I was paying. I haven’t had any problems with the company, except for recently, I was kinda disappointed that they wanted the 50% deductible. It would be for the repairs that were done delivered to them versus to the dealer that I was working with. Previously, I paid the dealer his 50%, then he collected his 50% from Protect My Car. They changed the parameter of what they wanted to do and they ended up putting a new motor in the car, which I didn’t have a problem with. The problem is they gave more information to the service dealer than they did to me, and the information they gave to the service dealer was different than what they gave me. And in turn, they were charging me 50% of the initial cost.

When they did the deal with the service dealer, with the new motor, it was about a $500 difference that I could have saved that they got extra. In numbers, the deal would have been $2,800 for them to do the heads and fix everything that needed to be done. I would have paid 1,400 and they paid 1,400, but because they came up with the idea of putting a new motor in, they only paid 900 for the motor, instead of 1,400. The $500 should’ve come back to me and when I asked them about it, they gave me a wishy-washy answer but never really the answer that I wanted. I didn’t wanna get my dealer in trouble with them, but in turn, they should have given me the $500 back or a credit.

I’m happy with getting a new motor and everything came out good. My mechanic did a good job, but I should’ve gotten my $500 back and I was a little disappointed in that. I know what scam they pulled on me and I won’t recommend them. I’ll keep them as long as I got the car until I hit my max mileage, but if I ever do that on another vehicle, it won’t be with them only because they cheated me out of 500 bucks. Overall, they did everything that they were gonna do in a timely manner, but it took them a long time to get that motor in. They had to come back with a different vehicle, so it was delayed by about five days.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to respond to your questions.
Your coverage guarantees that you pay only 50% of the estimate prepared by the shop you choose to use. We do that by reducing parts and labor costs and paying the balance in cash. That's why you only paid 50% of the original estimate. You have already saved over $2,000 on just the first three claims (which is more than twice what the coverage has cost). That's hardly a scam. Before dropping the coverage, think about how much you would have had to pay without the coverage.

Thanks for choosing Protect My Car

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have a Ford with 180,000 miles on it and I was able to utilize Protect My Car's benefits for one significant maintenance project that I had last November. It covered a number of items that needed to be updated on the vehicle. Some of them were covered while some were not, but it was able to at least have a good share of items taken care of and compensated by Protect My Car. I also like the number of items covered by Protect My Car, more significantly the cost per month I have set up with them, the overall contract duration and total financing that I’m working at with them over a four-year period. I looked at this before and a lot of people get a lot of calls and marketing for them over the course of time, but I've been able to put together a list of things that are important to me and things that I can against other competitors. I was able to get a good price for the products and services I’m receiving from Protect My Car.

Protect My Car has a main marketing group and they outsource the claims to a warranty company, Mepco, that handles the claim specifically. All calls regarding questions and process go through them and I made sure I understood it fully before I proceeded with the full maintenance that I had quoted on my vehicle, so I knew exactly what was going to be covered and why some things were not covered. They walked me through the process for filing a claim. I provided the invoice and I had it done in the Ford dealership. Ford knew the process themselves and forwarded the invoice on the work that was qualified for warranty rebates at least 50% of the costs for applicable and qualified repairs, material, and labor. I was able to be educated on it and understood the process at the time.

I have a monthly amount that I pay for and I am throwing an arbitrary number of $3,000 as the cost of the program. With each qualified parts and repair, they give 50% of it. I would have to pay for Mepco qualified portion of the invoice and have proof that it was paid for, then they would compensate me. They would then send me a check. Once I prove that I paid for my portion, they would pay theirs.

At one point, I was going to cancel the contract, but Protect My Car came back and renegotiated a lower monthly amount. Nothing changed and they were able to keep me on as a customer. I have an auto draft, so I get a monthly invoice for a draft that occurs and I know when it occurs. I set up exactly when the withdrawal occurs specifically. That works in consent with my paycheck so that it’s withdrawn at an appropriate time during the month. Everything works all good and I don’t have any issues.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those comments. It is good to know that our hard work is appreciated by those we help out.
You should know that Mepco only handles the monthly payment processing for our customers, not claims on repairs. All claims are handled by professional claims adjusters through our sister company.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I've had different warranties before and I wasn’t happy with how things worked with some of them. The first vehicle that I put the warranty on is old and a lot of insurance companies wouldn’t cover it. I like ProtectMyCar better. I purchased their warranty about a year ago. The rep was really nice and his knowledge and expertise were good. He walked me through everything, and, so far, mostly everything he said was true. ProtectMyCar still covered my old vehicle although it’s a different coverage where I pay for half the cost of the work. It’s unlike the other warranties I had, where my car was fully covered, and I only had to pay a deductible and sometimes a little extra. I wish I could get better coverage with ProtectMyCar. But I just deal with what I can get, being that my vehicle is old.

The process of filing a claim with ProtectMyCar starts when I take my car to the shop. Then the shop figures out what's wrong with my car and I give them the warranty card. Next, they call the warranty company to see if my car is covered and how much would be paid. Later on, they would give me a call and tell me the amount that needs to be paid. After I do that, I pay my debit card now. However, it used to be that I pay my debit card and as soon as I'm paid, they call the shop back and get started.

On my first claim with ProtectMyCar there was a miscommunication on the price. I went to the shop and the shop quoted me one price. Then the warranty company spoke with them, and they made adjustments on what the warranty would pay versus what the shop wanted. I was confused. It saved the warranty company money versus me, and I thought we were on the same side. But I let that go because they're still helping me pay.

I've had work done in my car in June, July, and October. Recently, I needed to get service done on it again and the reps helped me very well. They started a new process where I have to sign paperwork before the shop can get the job started. A little thing came to where they email me a contract of how much I had to pay, and I would have to sign and date it. Then I would have to send it back before the shop could get done. I was kind of upset about the new process, especially because I work and it took me a minute to get that done. I also needed the work on the car to get done as soon as possible.

The cost of ProtectMyCar’s policy is very reasonable. Actually, the vehicle is my dad’s, and I got the warranty for him because he's on a fixed income and so he doesn’t have as much money. I have a second vehicle, which is a truck, and I also have the warranty on it just in case. We've modified the truck and a lot of warranties would not accept the modifications of the vehicle. But ProtectMyCar does. They don’t worry about that, so I like them. I tell people that they need to get this warranty because it helps out, especially if it’s for older cars. I also tell people the stories that I've been through. My dad had $1,500 worth of work done, and I only had to come out $700 out of pocket, which is wonderful. Everything to me was really good. I recommend ProtectMyCar.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those great comments. We appreciate them very much.
We do work hard to make sure your experience with Protect my Car is a positive one and that the whole process, from choosing the right coverage, to making sure it is comfortable on your budget, to fast and efficient claims service, towing and rental car benefits, gives you great peace of mind.
Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Thanks again for your comments.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car LLC?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Protect My Car is 100% good. I did a lot of reading and it sounded like it was one of the best. I got in contact with them and it was very easy. The way the rep explained things to me was pretty good and when I needed the oil changed, it was very easy as well.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I have a Buick Rainier which I paid for $1,400 but I’ve already put about $3,000 worth of repairs into this car beforehand. It was bought by a private owner and they had put a custom alarm in it which caused more problems than anything positive about it. There was some distortion and mildew build-up in one of the plugs and it caused my vehicle to go into theft protection and it automatically shut off on me. I paid $800 for a new CPU unit because it fried the brain. This was a big issue and it was one of the things that made me want to try the Protect My Car warranty because if something like that happened again, I would have some way of covering it. Also, the repair coverage comes in handy because I’m on a really tight budget right now.

The warranty is only $90 a month which is a little bit over my budget right now. But it’s gonna cover any distance I got for any tow service I need and a large portion of any fees that I gotta pay for repairs. In the long run, it’s gonna pay for itself. But, the timeline when it comes to the payment plan is a little bit sketchy for me. I get paid every two weeks and usually, Protect My Car wants the payment by the 30th. I don’t get paid on that week so I gotta always do it the week before or a week and a half after.

I had an oil change in July. I told the guy at the oil place about Protect My Car and he said, "Well, I can't do anything 'cause I have no idea what's going on with that and I don't know if that will be covered by us". He was taking precautions by not taking any information because it could have been a fraudulent situation on his behalf. He didn’t want to take that chance and get screwed over, which I could understand. I contacted Protect My Car and let them know about it. They said that they will review my claim and find out what was going on. I gave them the phone number of the guy and the location of the place. 30 days after the review, I got my money back. I would recommend Protect My Car.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My claim with Protect My Car was really good compared to the last warranty with CarShield. The ball joints went out on my truck, and in one day, Protect My Car accepted the claim and paid the money right away. It was a good experience all the way around.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I bought K-vehicles in the past and the repairs that I ran into afterward were too expensive, so I wanted a warranty on a used car. I looked into it and ended with Protect My Car. The purchase was pretty smooth and it was great. Three months after I made three payments, I was able to use the services and save 50% off of my repairs.

I've been a customer for quite some time and I'm enjoying. But I wanna better understand the contract because I need a tune-up now. I would probably bring my car to the shop soon and I wanna know if that would be covered under my warranty or not. I know the basics of my warranty. I know that the transmission, motor, and AC are covered. But I just don’t know about instances where struts and brakes are needed. I don't know if those would even be included. When I had an AC issue, I ended up paying out of pocket for that. It wasn’t the actual AC itself but a valve. I filed a claim a claim for that but Protect My Car notified me that it was just maintenance or a routine. Other than that, my experience has been going great.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My car is getting older and that's why I decided to purchase a warranty. I had concerns about the price, the affordability and the things that were covered, but the consultant at Protect My Car was very good at easing my mind about all of that. I went and got an oil change once. I didn’t know exactly what the steps were to do that so I called Protect My Car and they were telling me to just go up to the place, let them speak to the oil change techs and they would handle it from there. It was simple and if something were to happen, I feel like, “Well, I can probably afford this now.” The few interactions that I've had with the people has been positive as well.

Protect My Car Company Information