4.1/5 (530 ratings)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service provider that states its goal is to “change the game” with advisors who place the customer first and help minimize uncertainty from unexpected costly repairs. The company states that it aims to provide a hassle-free claims process and ongoing customer service.

Pros

• All services provided by Protect My Car employees
  • Payments starting at $60 a month
  • In-house claims process for smoother experience
  • Free oil changes and tire rotations with all policies

Cons

• Does not cover preexisting conditions
  • Not available in AK, CA, HI, MO, OK or WA

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 20 years old with up to 299,999 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Top Protect My Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It has been a pleasure to work with the reps. They are kind, courteous and informative. Submitting claims has been quick. They have been right on it. They work with you. The quali...

Verified

I did a little research and I found out that Protect My Car was the best value for the money so I went with them. They explained what the contract was all about. They told me how ...

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is a vehicle service contract provider that has multiple coverage plans to help meet any need and budget. The company has two categories of coverage: Selective coverage for newer vehicles and Comprehensive coverage for older vehicles.

Each coverage category has three additional options based on the deductible and the year and mileage of your vehicle. Once you become a Protect My Car customer, you work directly with the company for customer service, claims administration and contract financing. You don’t have to work with a middleman or seek third-party approval.

Protect My Car has plans available for vehicles up to 20 years old with up to 299,999 miles.

Protect My Car payment

Coverage plans are available on the company’s website or by contacting a Protect My Car advisor. The process begins with a free quote.

The company has an average down payment of $69, which is low compared with other car warranty companies. The daily cost for a Protect My Car plan ranges from around $2 to $3. Deductibles are $100 or $200 for the company’s Selective plans and 25% to 50% of the cost of repair for Comprehensive plans.

Protect My Car has a 30-day money-back guarantee. This is standard among extended auto warranty companies and lets you cancel your plan in the first 30 days. This is helpful in case you decide that a car warranty isn’t right for you.

Because Protect My Car is a direct provider, it can work directly with you to come up with a payment plan.

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car has two categories of coverage plans, Selective and Comprehensive, with three options in each category.

Selective plans

Protect My Car’s Selective plans are designed for newer cars. Your available options will vary based on your car’s mileage. All Selective plans come with 24/7 roadside assistance, free oil changes and free tire rotations.

• Supreme is the company’s most complete selective plan and is available for vehicles with up to 49,999 miles. The company advertises this plan as the closest thing to a manufacturer’s warranty, and it covers components including your turbocharger and navigation system. The plan has a $100 deductible, after which Protect My Car pays 100% of all covered repairs.
  • Select covers newer vehicles with up to 89,999 miles. It has lower monthly premiums than Select, and Protect My Car pays 100% of covered repairs after your $100 deductible.
  • Driveline plans cover slightly older vehicles with up to 124,999 miles on the odometer. The plan has Protect My Car’s most affordable monthly premiums, and the company pays 100% of all covered repairs after a $200 deductible.

Comprehensive plans

Protect My Car offers three Comprehensive plan options.  The plans cover cars with up to 299,999 miles and come with 24/7 roadside assistance, free oil changes and free tire rotation.

• Ambassador Platinum has the lowest deductible the company offers for older cars, though it is the most expensive option. Protect My Car pays the cost of all covered repairs after you pay a 25% deductible.
  • Ambassador Elite is Protect My Car’s midlevel option for vehicles. It comes with a 50% deductible, after which the company picks up the rest of the repair cost.
  • Ambassador Pro has the company’s lowest monthly premium for older cars. Like the Ambassador Elite plan, it has a 50% deductible.

Once you sign up for a plan, you have to wait 30 days before making a claim, although roadside assistance is available immediately. The roadside assistance benefit includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump-starts.

Protect My Car does not offer coverage for vehicles in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Protect My Car FAQ

What does Protect My Car cover?

Protect My Car offers six vehicle service contract plans in two different categories: Selective plans and Comprehensive plans. Coverage varies by plan, and the level of coverage available to you depends on your car's age and the number of miles on its odometer.

Who owns Protect My Car?

Crestview Partners, a private equity firm, acquired Protect My Car in September 2018.

How do I cancel a Protect My Car policy?

You can cancel a Protect My Car policy by calling the company. You may be required to fill out a cancellation form and send it to Protect My Car. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund, minus claims paid and an administrative fee. Keep in mind that if you sell your car, you may be able to transfer your policy to the new owner. Call Protect My Car if you want to transfer the contract.

Is Protect My Car legit?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, the company offers flexible payment options. Its plans offer a wide variety of coverages that will please most customers. The Comprehensive plans appeal to those with older cars or cars with higher mileage. Overall, Protect My Car is a solid choice for those seeking an extended car warranty.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: July 1, 2022

Protect My Car contacted me, so I asked them a bunch of questions, what they all cover, and explained to them at the time that my husband was laid off. We were on a fixed income. Protect My Car cost more, but it covers more. They had more local places that they covered. And they said, "We are rated number one. We got an A in the Better Business Bureau." But when I checked it out, I confirmed that they got an A, but it wasn't by the Better Business Bureau. It was just an A on there. Because usually, the BBB has their way of giving A's. My husband looked up that part, and I had explained to him. But the BBB didn't give them that A.

But all in all, the sales representative was friendly. He gave me his personal number and canceled our CarShield for us. We were trying to get out of payments and not have anything. Money was tight when we were trying to send out our bills. But the outcome would have been either way. It's still cheaper than CarShield was as far as to get the car fixed. If we had any issues, they covered more issues than CarShield did and that would help us financially when it's time to get the car fixed. We won't have to pay as much in the thousands and stuff because we live from week-to-week kind of family. We're old people and week-to-week with a ADHD grandchild that will be 12 in December.

We get so many free oil changes through Protect My Car and I'm about to see if that works because I just got an oil change when we started them. And they offer so many free oil changes through different places and it happens to be one of the places we go to. So, I'm gonna see if that part works here soon. But so far, it has been a good experience. The one that gave this great sales pitch, I have his direct line and who to contact if there were any problems or issues.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2022

When Protect My Car cold-called me, they didn't say anything disparaging about their competitor. They were very professional on the phone and very patient when I had questions. Their customer service was excellent and my salesman was great. He explained the coverage. When you read the contract, it's super crystal clear what they will and will not cover. If they know you're coming and it's not ready within a certain time, they go ahead and spring for a rental. What I love is they have a transferable warranty. They also take the car higher up in mileage than most providers do. They also offer towing and roadside service. They only offer a couple of times, and after that, it's a prorated charge.

The other thing is I'm a veteran and they gave me a veteran rate. They have never been nasty to me. When I brought it, I had gone my mileage level, and about two months later my little check engine light would pop on and off. I took it right up and called them. I told them I was having trouble with the power window. My mechanic called immediately to find out what was and wasn't covered. To do that power window would have been about 700 bucks between the labor and the parts. I had to pay my 200 and they covered $430 on my window. That's savings right there. I've already gotten one year's worth of my payment.

On my Protect My Car, they also provide me my oil changes. I do full synthetic and they pay for the full change. I called the mechanic the other day to say I was taking it in because of the master sensor. When he did the work on the sensor, I told him we were not going to put Protect My Car through all those little parts that I know they don't cover from having another sensor changed about a year ago. I asked them if they cover CVT and they said yes. I like the fact that Protect My Car has secondary mechanics. If they feel that the mechanic is not going to fix, they're going to recommend where you take it to get the best fix. They have master mechanics that will come to any shop where your car is, if they want to re-check what they're doing to make sure you're not getting hosed by the mechanic. You have a second pair of eyes looking at your vehicle and you know they're going to go for the best repair to maintain the cost.

My mechanics love Protect My Car. They say they're the easiest of everyone to work with. I pay $68 every month to have my premium and pay the $200 deductible. Protect My Car does the parts and labor as long as it's not a wearable part. They encourage you to maintain your car and they do that by offering the oil change. I feel very fortunate that my mechanics feel comfortable calling them. They don't feel that they're going to be put on hold for 50 years. Protect My Car works with the mechanic to see what they can cover and how much. They try to cover as much as possible within reason. Their car information and their folder are very clear and concise. It's very open. They're transparent with the consumer.

I'm a very satisfied customer. Protect My Car is oriented to the customer and to the driver. I told a friend she needed to get Protect My Car and she called them immediately and got them. Another incentive that they offer is for every person you bring them, they offer you a gift card of $100 and they're really good on that. I have gotten five or six people in there. The only thing that I don't like about them is you can't do work on a Sunday.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your wonderful comments and 5-stars! Providing our policyholders with good peace of mind is one of our most important goals, and we are very glad to have been there for you with your repairs. Best of all, we will be there again when you need us. Additionally, we strive to be the most transparent company in the industry, and we will work diligently to be as clear and concise as you need. We also understand it can be frustrating that Protect My Car is not open on Sunday; however, most facilities would not want to start on larger repairs until a Monday, but we do offer reimbursement for smaller emergency repairs issues that occur outside of our normal business hours. . Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

My truck is old so the mileage is way past my manufacturer's warranty. I went with CarShield, but what they offered was lubricated parts on the vehicle and they charged me the same price for the best coverage they had that would cover everything on somebody else's vehicle. I used it for a little bit but I figured it was just a waste of money and for some coverage. I was looking online and then I saw Protect My Car and I decided to try it out. For my truck, which is over 10 years old and has over 246,000 miles on it, they still cover everything that has gone wrong with it, so I've been very happy with them since then.

When I go to a mechanic, before they do a diagnostic on it, and then they let me know whatever it's gonna cost, then I give them the information for the company, and they call them. Of course, they ask the mechanic's information for the truck. After everything’s said and done and they okay it, they give me a call to let me know what my portion is, and they're gonna cover their portion, and I cover mine.

The one thing that I experienced was that there was a part on the truck that was not routine maintenance and the person said that it was not covered. I read over my policy and I called back. I explained that whoever’s told the mechanic that it wasn't covered was wrong. The guy had to research what I was talking about. He apologized on behalf of the other person and that's what got fixed.

The only thing was that when I was trying to get the door handles fixed on my Nissan, they didn't accept it ‘cause it wasn't covered. It was considered as cosmetic. They didn't call me about it. I’ll appreciate it if when I take my car to a mechanic and it’s something not covered, they should at least give me a courtesy call about it. But whatever they covered, they covered. I recommended it to my mother and she uses it too.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad you are with us, and as you pointed out, most older, high-mileage cars simply do not qualify for any coverage with most companies. Obviously, those are the vehicles that are most likely to suffer a mechanical breakdown and that is why we developed our Ambassador plans. We will continue to work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations and we apologize for the unsatisfactory claims experience. Also, we appreciate your suggestion for a courtesy call regarding non-covered items. That is great feedback and will be forwarded to Protect My Car management for further review and consideration. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact Customer Loyalty. Thank you for being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I was on another extended warranty company but then they started getting a lot of negative reviews and they weren't covering certain things. One time, I thought I was calling them to ask about coverage on something. I googled them and Protect My Car came up first, and I didn't notice it, so I ended up calling that number. I got a representative on the phone that was asking why wasn't I with them. He told me what was covered and the cost of the plans was a little cheaper. My 2013 has no deductible, my 2003 has a 25% deductible, so it was very fair. He literally talked me into it on the phone in a very professional sales-like manner. He wasn't pushing it. But he was just proud of his company. That led me to believe that Protect My Car treat their employees right, so it'd be a good company to deal with.

I've had to do two claims with them, and both of them were covered. For my 2013, the cost in owning that contract is already paid for the year and got it back with two fixes it had had that went over $1,000 for both fixes. Me being in the automotive business, I knew the CV axle blew the boot apart because of the malfunctioning axle, the bearings in it. At first, it wasn't going to be covered. I called Protect My Car. I got an agent who looked it over and said they made a mistake, and that would be covered. I've already contacted the repair facility to tell them that it's covered and to go ahead with the work. They even fix their mistakes, if they make one, so that's awesome.

To know what's covered in an extended warranty is very important. Most of the companies will cover engines and transmissions, the main components of the vehicle, really expensive. But most of them don't cover all of the other stuff that is connected up to that, whereas Protect My Car will do. They cover everything on the suspension of the vehicle. The only thing they don't cover are wearable items, like brake pads. But they'll replace a brake caliper which holds the pads if the caliper’s bad. Plus, they give three oil changes a year for free. They also have roadside assistance. I had to use that to get my vehicle towed for a flat tire from a campsite. I used it for my 2003 also, and they were on the spot. Quickly, had a vehicle out there, towed it to a local shop, and it was fixed on the same day.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments and the 5-Stars. We are very pleased to have helped you with your past repairs and your budget. That's what a good policy is supposed to do. We look forward to assisting you again in the future when you need help. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

When we found out exactly what was going on with the vehicle, Protect My car did not cover a component that was the cause of the issue. They covered the after-effect. So I had to pay out of pocket for the cause of it and I ended up having to pay about $1,200 to get my car fixed. But since it’s all tied in together, I felt like they should have covered that too. They also should educate the customer service reps more on mechanical things and terminology versus them reading from a script. Two of the people told me that all that they do is they punch in something, then the cause or effect comes up and they read that. It then depends on how effective they read it as to whether or not you believe what it is that they're telling you. They would better understand their job and the consumer if they had some type of background knowledge as to what the mechanic may be saying.

And as far as the inspectors, they are the same. They just go out, look at the vehicle, and say that they're going to put the claim in. But when they put the report in, it still kicks back to the customer service rep, who has no background knowledge in what's going on. The mechanic was telling me that the reason why my transfer case went out was because my car is an all-wheel drive and the ball bearings were bad, which relates to the transfer case because that made tires drive differently.

So, if the ball bearings can go out and will cause the transfer case to mess up and break, then they should cover the ball bearings as well, because the transfer case was more than the ball bearings. It will come out cheaper for the company versus having to pay for thousands of dollars for a transfer case when you can pay for $90 for a ball bearing. If you stop the problem before it starts, then it will not be a bigger problem. But they didn't cover the ball bearings.

By me trying to explain that to the customer service rep, he was pretty much saying that it was not in my drivetrain and that's not what's covered. He told me that I needed to look at my policy and he sent me eight emails about my policy. But I already have the policy right here. At the end of the day, I don't know what a drivetrain is because I'm not a mechanic. But that's what he was telling me pretty much, that I'm at fault because I'm not a mechanic and I don't understand the lingo. But as far as the product itself, the product is good because I benefit from it personally. I get my oil change at Valvoline and by me having this warranty now, I get free oil changes.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 4-stars and for choosing Protect My Car for your vehicle repair needs. We are happy that Melodi contacted you regarding your concerns. We apologize for any misunderstanding while speaking with any of our agents and regret not providing you with an excellent customer experience. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Been trying to call but on hold for hours!!! Yes hours! Purchased new vehicle and need to call. Why is this so hard. Please get your act together as customer service is so important with the service you are providing. Thank you.

Protect My Car response

One of our specialists reached out but was unable to contact you, regarding your review. Please call our Loyalty department at 844-556-4762, for a review of your policy. Thank you for being a Protect My Car Valued Customer.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

The young rep from Protect My Car that I worked with simplified the protective coverage for the vehicle for my understanding. When I called the company back to upgrade the coverage for it, it was again explained and simplified for my understanding. I used the service recently at the dealership because the horn stopped working. There was also another issue. The dealer had to order a part for the vehicle. It took the dealer longer to order the parts than it did for Protect My Car to authorize the work to be performed. Protect My Car also paid for three days for a rental vehicle. I would definitely recommend them. It's very valuable to me because it definitely saved me. The total cost for repairs on my vehicle was close to $3,000. So it was definitely a money-saving issue, that I did not have $3,000 to pay for the repairs on my vehicle.

Protect My Car response

Our primary goal is to give every policy holder good peace of mind. Great rates, towing, rental car benefits, oil Changes, fast claims processing and the personal touch are just some of the ways we help provide good peace of mind. Best of all, when you do have a problem, it’s nice to know that with one phone call you can get towed in, activate rental car benefits, and get fast, efficient claims service. That’s what we call good peace of mind. Thank you so very much for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

The sales guy wanted us to sign up right then and there but I wanted to do my own research and he allowed us to just give him a call back once we decided that we like Protect My Car. After that, it was easy. When we filed claims, whatever we wanted covered got covered. There was one issue with the AC that they said wasn't something they were going to cover. But it saved us a bunch of money and it was easy. Even our mechanic who we've used forever so that the process was simple. The wait was a little long but it was good overall.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for your kind comment. We make it our mission to provide outstanding service and needed help to all policyholders. We are very glad the policy, our staff, and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Protect My Car has a cheaper price. If I need roadside service, they come out. When I took my car in to my dealer to get an oil change and we called Protect My Car, the guy said, “Oh, this is great. I love this service right here.” They didn’t have to wait to get paid. With any other company, they have to wait. But when it's time for you to get the service, you have to hold on through customer service too long. The people that are fixing my car get impatient because it takes too long for someone to answer the phone. They get discouraged and don’t want to fix the car. Also, the customer service at Protect My Car is terrible. I called them on Friday. I was on hold for over half an hour just to pay the bill.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for any delay that you experienced. One of our specialists reached out but was unable to contact you, regarding your review. We are happy to have helped you with your oil change and Repair. We look forward to being there for you when you need us. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call our Loyalty department at 844-556-4762. Thank you for being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

Everything went smooth with the most recent claim I had but there have been times when it was confusing and I just wanted my money back. I would come out of money because I went to the wrong place and I would never get help from Protect My Car. Also, I talked to one rep who was very rude to me. But other than that, no, I hadn't had any issues.

Protect My Car response

Our management team takes all such statements seriously. Protect My Car would like to speak with you regarding your concerns, however, our attempts to locate your account for further review have been unsuccessful. Please contact Customer Loyalty at 844-556-4762 so that we can verify your account information to achieve a resolution that is satisfactory.

Protect My Car Company Information