4.3/5 (384 ratings)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service provider that states its goal is to “change the game” with advisors who place the customer first and help minimize uncertainty from unexpected costly repairs. The company states that it aims to provide a hassle-free claims process and ongoing customer service.

Pros

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Long payment plan

Cons

• Not offered in all states
  • Mileage limits on lower side

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 22 years old with up to 299,999 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Top Protect My Car Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It has been a pleasure to work with the reps. They are kind, courteous and informative. Submitting claims has been quick. They have been right on it. They work with you. The quali...

Verified

I did a little research and I found out that Protect My Car was the best value for the money so I went with them. They explained what the contract was all about. They told me how ...

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is a vehicle service contract provider that has multiple coverage plans to help meet any need and budget. The company has two categories of coverage: Selective coverage for newer vehicles and Comprehensive coverage for older vehicles.

Each coverage category has three additional options based on the deductible and the year and mileage of your vehicle. Once you become a Protect My Car customer, you work directly with the company for customer service, claims administration and contract financing. You don’t have to work with a middleman or seek third-party approval.

Protect My Car has plans available for vehicles up to 22 years old with up to 299,999 miles.

Protect My Car payment

Coverage plans are available on the company’s website or by contacting a Protect My Car advisor. The process begins with a free quote.

The company has an average down payment of $69, which is low compared with other car warranty companies. The daily cost for a Protect My Car plan ranges from around $2 to $3. Deductibles are $100 or $200 for the company’s Selective plans and 25% to 50% of the cost of repair for Comprehensive plans.

Protect My Car has a 30-day money-back guarantee. This is standard among extended auto warranty companies and lets you cancel your plan in the first 30 days. This is helpful in case you decide that a car warranty isn’t right for you.

Because Protect My Car is a direct provider, it can work directly with you to come up with a payment plan.

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car has two categories of coverage plans, Selective and Comprehensive, with three options in each category.

Selective plans

Protect My Car’s Selective plans are designed for newer cars. Your available options will vary based on your car’s mileage. All Selective plans come with 24/7 roadside assistance, free oil changes and free tire rotations.

• Supreme is the company’s most complete selective plan and is available for vehicles with up to 49,999 miles. The company advertises this plan as the closest thing to a manufacturer’s warranty, and it covers components including your turbocharger and navigation system. The plan has a $100 deductible, after which Protect My Car pays 100% of all covered repairs.
  • Select covers newer vehicles with up to 89,999 miles. It has lower monthly premiums than Select, and Protect My Car pays 100% of covered repairs after your $100 deductible.
  • Driveline plans cover slightly older vehicles with up to 124,999 miles on the odometer. The plan has Protect My Car’s most affordable monthly premiums, and the company pays 100% of all covered repairs after a $200 deductible.

Comprehensive plans

Protect My Car offers three Comprehensive plan options.  The plans cover cars with up to 299,999 miles and come with 24/7 roadside assistance, free oil changes and free tire rotation.

• Ambassador Platinum has the lowest deductible the company offers for older cars, though it is the most expensive option. Protect My Car pays the cost of all covered repairs after you pay a 25% deductible.
  • Ambassador Elite is Protect My Car’s midlevel option for vehicles. It comes with a 50% deductible, after which the company picks up the rest of the repair cost.
  • Ambassador Pro has the company’s lowest monthly premium for older cars. Like the Ambassador Elite plan, it has a 50% deductible.

Once you sign up for a plan, you have to wait 30 days before making a claim, although roadside assistance is available immediately. The roadside assistance benefit includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump-starts.

Protect My Car does not offer coverage for vehicles in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Protect My Car FAQ

Protect My Car offers six vehicle service contract plans in two different categories: Selective plans and Comprehensive plans. Coverage varies by plan, and the level of coverage available to you depends on your car's age and the number of miles on its odometer.
Crestview Partners, a private equity firm, acquired Protect My Car in September 2018.
You can cancel a Protect My Car policy by calling the company. You may be required to fill out a cancellation form and send it to Protect My Car. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund, minus claims paid and an administrative fee. Keep in mind that if you sell your car, you may be able to transfer your policy to the new owner. Call Protect My Car if you want to transfer the contract.

Is Protect My Car legit?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, the company offers flexible payment options. Its plans offer a wide variety of coverages that will please most customers. The Comprehensive plans appeal to those with older cars or cars with higher mileage. Overall, Protect My Car is a solid choice for those seeking an extended car warranty.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I was on another extended warranty company but then they started getting a lot of negative reviews and they weren't covering certain things. One time, I thought I was calling them to ask about coverage on something. I googled them and Protect My Car came up first, and I didn't notice it, so I ended up calling that number. I got a representative on the phone that was asking why wasn't I with them. He told me what was covered and the cost of the plans was a little cheaper. My 2013 has no deductible, my 2003 has a 25% deductible, so it was very fair. He literally talked me into it on the phone in a very professional sales-like manner. He wasn't pushing it. But he was just proud of his company. That led me to believe that Protect My Car treat their employees right, so it'd be a good company to deal with.

I've had to do two claims with them, and both of them were covered. For my 2013, the cost in owning that contract is already paid for the year and got it back with two fixes it had had that went over $1,000 for both fixes. Me being in the automotive business, I knew the CV axle blew the boot apart because of the malfunctioning axle, the bearings in it. At first, it wasn't going to be covered. I called Protect My Car. I got an agent who looked it over and said they made a mistake, and that would be covered. I've already contacted the repair facility to tell them that it's covered and to go ahead with the work. They even fix their mistakes, if they make one, so that's awesome.

To know what's covered in an extended warranty is very important. Most of the companies will cover engines and transmissions, the main components of the vehicle, really expensive. But most of them don't cover all of the other stuff that is connected up to that, whereas Protect My Car will do. They cover everything on the suspension of the vehicle. The only thing they don't cover are wearable items, like brake pads. But they'll replace a brake caliper which holds the pads if the caliper’s bad. Plus, they give three oil changes a year for free. They also have roadside assistance. I had to use that to get my vehicle towed for a flat tire from a campsite. I used it for my 2003 also, and they were on the spot. Quickly, had a vehicle out there, towed it to a local shop, and it was fixed on the same day.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

When we found out exactly what was going on with the vehicle, Protect My car did not cover a component that was the cause of the issue. They covered the after-effect. So I had to pay out of pocket for the cause of it and I ended up having to pay about $1,200 to get my car fixed. But since it’s all tied in together, I felt like they should have covered that too. They also should educate the customer service reps more on mechanical things and terminology versus them reading from a script. Two of the people told me that all that they do is they punch in something, then the cause or effect comes up and they read that. It then depends on how effective they read it as to whether or not you believe what it is that they're telling you. They would better understand their job and the consumer if they had some type of background knowledge as to what the mechanic may be saying.

And as far as the inspectors, they are the same. They just go out, look at the vehicle, and say that they're going to put the claim in. But when they put the report in, it still kicks back to the customer service rep, who has no background knowledge in what's going on. The mechanic was telling me that the reason why my transfer case went out was because my car is an all-wheel drive and the ball bearings were bad, which relates to the transfer case because that made tires drive differently.

So, if the ball bearings can go out and will cause the transfer case to mess up and break, then they should cover the ball bearings as well, because the transfer case was more than the ball bearings. It will come out cheaper for the company versus having to pay for thousands of dollars for a transfer case when you can pay for $90 for a ball bearing. If you stop the problem before it starts, then it will not be a bigger problem. But they didn't cover the ball bearings.

By me trying to explain that to the customer service rep, he was pretty much saying that it was not in my drivetrain and that's not what's covered. He told me that I needed to look at my policy and he sent me eight emails about my policy. But I already have the policy right here. At the end of the day, I don't know what a drivetrain is because I'm not a mechanic. But that's what he was telling me pretty much, that I'm at fault because I'm not a mechanic and I don't understand the lingo. But as far as the product itself, the product is good because I benefit from it personally. I get my oil change at Valvoline and by me having this warranty now, I get free oil changes.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I had never used any of Protect My Car's services and if it wasn't for needing protection on my car, I would never deal with them. Every time something goes wrong with my car, they don't cover that part. I'm putting out $3,500 a year or as long as it takes, and I still never get serviced. If I'm paying someone my money and they're not doing their job, then why should I pay them? They're supposed to take care what they're telling me they're gonna take care of when I bought the service. The service I’m supposed to have is the elite. That means the top of the line and that’s what I’m supposed to get. The way they write things down and the way they word things in their manual, “You’re saying that it’s this, but it’s part of this, but not all of that,” then they reject it and say, “Oh, no. We can’t cover that then. Because this didn’t do and that.”

I've had problems with coverage and it's not just with Protect My Car. I've had it with other companies too. One time, something broke and I had it fixed. When you're under stress with your car, you have to take your car to get something taken care of and it's a major part, you're not thinking that you have this extra coverage. I spent $800 to have that done then, I realized it. I called the company. They said, “We can't cover it now because of the fact you’re supposed to call us before they did it.” That pissed me off. That was early, so I try to remember. Certain things they say, “Well, that’s wear and tear,” and I can understand that part. However, when they're telling me they're not gonna cover what they told me they covered because I didn't contact them before the shop worked on it, that’s not nice at all.

The other day, I had to get my inspection done. Not thinking, I left my car at the shop and went home. The guy called me and said, “Your ball joint on your tire need to be replaced.” I’m not gonna pass inspection by that part being bad, so I said, “Well, go ahead and do it." I needed my car inspection to be done then after I was done paying the guy and got home, a day later, I realized maybe I could’ve used the warranty to pay for getting that part done. I don’t know if that is considered one of the wear-and-tear parts, so I never called them back.

The only one thing I have been doing on a regular basis is getting my oil changed. With the first couple ones, they said, "Rotate the tires,” and it was done. They paid the people that did the work and I didn’t see any issues with them. If I did, I’m the type of person who will tell people about it. They get my oil changed, but in essence, it’s not free because I’m paying for it every month that I put out $70-some.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Protect My Car. We make every effort to assist customers with repairs to their vehicles, and there are seldom any issues with approving claims. Unfortunately, after a thorough review of your account was completed, we could not locate any repair claims that a repair facility submitted. If you had repairs completed that you feel are approvable, please contact Customer Loyalty to get the correct information to submit a reimbursement request and provide any additional feedback. Thank you for being such a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

The individual I spoke with on the phone was trying to be facetious. I asked questions about the policies and procedures, and my first question was if the warranty was a bumper-to-bumper. He said that there was nothing that was bumper-to-bumper. I told him that it’s the term that most people use. I know it doesn’t cover the bumper but from the front to the back type situation. He proceeded to say that there is no such thing and it doesn’t cover my bumper. So, I didn’t appreciate that. Then, I asked what the total price was. I told him that maybe I want to pay it all as opposed to paying monthly payments. He said that there’s no way I’d be able to pay it up. I still purchased the warranty so it had nothing to do with the rep. I wanted that on my car and from the explanation or the things that I finally got out of him. I made him read it all to me. I know he wasn’t happy when we finished, but he learned something.

I still have the service and I’m okay with it. Everybody I spoke with since then has been wonderful. I finally used it maybe two weeks ago and it went wonderfully well. I had to have my motor mount repaired and there was a piece that the mechanic told me that had to be added on, and it wasn’t covered. That should’ve been covered because it was part of the mount but maybe I didn’t understand the mechanic. I’m okay with it and I got it done. The mechanic place and the representatives were fine but the person who sold me the policy was not anybody who impressed me. I told him exactly what I thought about him and his customer service skills, and that he needed to do a little better than he was doing. He needs to listen. I explained to him that I've been doing this and customer service is very important.

I have been a customer service representative for the majority of my career and it’s in the way you talk to people, answer them and allow them to ask questions. If you’re good, I wanna speak to your supervisor because I wanna compliment you. If you’re bad, I’m gonna do to you what you think you would. But other than that, I’ve had no issues with Protect My Car. I love it. My battery died on me and they came out and did that. I’ve said to a lot of people that they need to get the warranty. It’s worth having.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. It is very important to everyone here at Protect My Car that we provide the most professional service possible and we are very sorry if you have ever experienced anything other than excellent service. We want to end each day knowing we have helped a lot of people with vehicle problems that could have ruined not just their day but their budget for months to come. It means a lot to get comments from our policyholders that let us know we are doing just that. Thank you for being a Protect My Car valued customer, and please don’t hesitate to contact Loyalty if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: June 14, 2021

When I was purchasing the extended warranty from Protect My Car, I was speaking to someone in Florida and we had a nice conversation. She was on point with all the information and she made me very happy. It was a good experience and she helped me pick the best option I had. I first started in the first tier and then I decided to go with the top tier. So, she helped me set all that up. It’s simple to file a claim as long as you speak to the garage that you're working with and make sure that they accept it and that they accept the funds from them. The first step was easy. They told me to talk to the garage and make sure everything's good with them. If they need information, I should give them Protect My Car’s number and they’ll talk to them. So, that's what I did. My mechanic spoke to them and he said that everything was set up and that he knew what he got to do.

I've seen Protect My Car twice. Once, there was something with my engine. It was $900 and I ended up paying 425, which was when I decided to go with the top tier they had, which you pay 25%. This last one that I had, my brakes and I had to get a couple of things done and the total was 1,800 but I ended up paying 25% of that. So, the warranty helps. They take out $79 a month but it pays off in the end when I need to take the car in and get it fixed. So, it is worth it. Protect My Car is a good service, especially if your car's getting a little older and you're going to need some major maintenance. If you want to save some money, go with Protect My Car because they got some good programs and you choose whichever one that is eligible for you. You should go for the high tier. You pay less and it's not bad. Plus, I'm a veteran, so I got a discount.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments and five stars! It is very important to everyone here at Protect My Car that we provide the most professional service possible. We want to end each day knowing we have helped a lot of people with vehicle problems that could have ruined not just their day but their budget for months to come. It means a lot to get comments from our policyholders that let us know we are doing just that. Best of all, we will be here to assist you when you next need help with your vehicle. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

My only problem was the wait for service. Protect My Car really did their part. When getting your car serviced make sure the technician have all the pricing on hand before calling (PMC). It'll save a lot of time. I have an eight year old car still running new.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Protect My Car had a cheaper rate coverage and it was quite easy to file a claim with them. I've also availed of the free oil change. But they've denied the service every time I submitted a claim because it was something they didn't cover, which all had to do with outward parts. They should cover more outward parts than inward parts.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I had an issue with a thermostat. The techs called it in at the shop and got it replaced. The claim process is alright but it used to be easier. They changed it up to where I have to pay first and then the shop sends a receipt to Protect My Car. But the warranty helps out a lot. It's easy and it has a fair price for what you get. I had one claim where they tried to deny it but I keep such great records that I had to wait for a manager to contact me back. That was a two-week ordeal and it got straightened out in the end. I had to argue with them over it a little bit.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I called Protect My Car and the guy there had to call me back because the connection wasn't real good. He did that in less than 10 minutes. He did a good job of explaining things to me. I told him that I preferred him sending something out so I could read it. He sent a book out about the policy. My son and I read that but we both missed something. When I bought the policy, I was to have it for a month and put 1,000 miles on the odometer from the purchase mileage then they'll start covering.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Two of my cousins had Protect My Car and they told me about it. I bought a Chevrolet Malibu then I signed up with Protect My Car and customer service was good. So far, all I do is get my oil changed.

Protect My Car Company Information