Accredited Partner

Protect My Car

Protect My Car
Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.23/5

Protect My Car is a premier Auto Repair Protection provider. The company's goal is to eliminate the worry of being financially responsible for an expensive mechanical breakdown. With a Protect My Car Vehicle Service Contract or Ambassador Plan, you’re instantly eliminating any concerns about being fully burdened with the cost of a covered repair.

Protect My Car LLC Video

BOTTOM LINE

Protect My Car allows a long 60-month repayment plan. Although their Ambassador plan only offers partial coverage, Protect My Car’s other plans satisfy a wide array of needs.

PROS

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Longest repayment period

CONS

• Not offered in all states

Top Protect My Car Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car LLC?

I also like the number of items covered by Protect My Car, more significantly the cost per month I have set up with them, the overall contract duration and total financing that I’m working at with them over a four-year period.

Protect My Car had answers. It was just a better experience. It was easier to do business with them ... and the person I dealt with was very knowledgeable. He was very helpful in helping me weigh the pros and cons. Plus it wasn’t a high-pressure type of sale. It was more of a relaxed conversation.

Protect My Car Get Pricing

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is an extended auto warranty broker. It offers a variety of plans that cover both new vehicles and older, high-mileage vehicles. Protect My Car directly administers its policies, meaning you don’t have to work with a middleman or seek third-party approval.

Protect My Car payment

You can request a free online quote from Protect My Car. The company has an average down payment of $69, which is low compared with other car warranty companies. The daily cost for a Protect My Car plan averages from around $2 to $2.50, and the deductible for its vehicle service contract is $100 for all covered parts, repairs and labor. The company’s Ambassador plan, which offers partial coverage, has a deductible of either 25% or 50% of the costs for covered parts, repairs and labor.

Protect My Car has a 30-day, money-back guarantee. This is standard among extended auto warranty companies and allows you to cancel your plan in the first 30 days. This is helpful in case you decide that a car warranty isn’t right for you. Because Protect My Car is a direct provider, it can work directly with you to come up with a payment plan.

Protect My Car plans

Protect My Car plans offer up to 48 months of coverage. The company has six plans: three traditional plans and three plans specifically designed for older cars. Its traditional plans cover vehicles with fewer than 150,000 miles and under 13 years of age:

• The Driveline plan is designed for vehicles with high mileage. It covers electrical systems, fuel systems, drive axles, transmission and the engine.
  • The Select plan offers everything the Driveline plan offers, plus coverage for the ABS master cylinder, temperature control, brake system and heating and cooling systems.
  • The Supreme plan covers everything covered in the Select plan, plus the front and rear suspension and steering components. This is the closest thing Protect My Car has to a bumper-to-bumper extended auto warranty.
ServiceDrivelineSelectSupreme
Temperature control
ABS master cylinder
Steering components
Front and rear suspension

The Ambassador plans are designed for vehicles with more than 150,000 miles or that are over 13 years old. These plans can cover cars with up to 300,000 miles and 22 years of age. Each plan comes with a maintenance program that includes three yearly oil changes and two yearly tire rotations, and two of the plans include roadside assistance.

• The Ambassador Platinum plan is designed for older, high-mileage vehicles. It covers most non-wear and tear items, including transmissions, engines and drive axles. Protect My Car pays 75% of covered labor and repairs, and the coverage holder pays the remaining 25%. This plan includes the maintenance program.
  • The Ambassador Elite plan offers the same coverage as Ambassador Platinum, except Protect My Car pays 50% of covered repairs and labor, and the coverage holder pays the remaining 50%. This plan includes the maintenance program.
  • The Ambassador Pro plan works the exact same way as the Elite plan, but it doesn’t include roadside assistance. The Ambassador Pro plan is cheaper than the Ambassador Elite plan.

Protect My Car Ambassador plans also cover vehicles used for business (like Uber, Lyft or hauling), vehicles with a salvage/branded title and vehicles with modifications.

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car’s coverage is limited to cars under 300,000 miles and less than 22 years old. Protect My Car’s contracts range from three to four years in length and are generally transferable. The liability limit on a Protect My Car extended warranty is a flat rate and is not based on the value of the car. You have to wait 30 days after your contract purchase date and drive 1,000 miles before Protect My Car accepts claims for vehicle service contract holders. Ambassador policyholders have a 15-day waiting period with no mileage requirements.

Protect My Car’s roadside assistance comes with all Protect My Car’s vehicle service contracts and is also available with two of their three Ambassador plans. This includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump-starts. If your car is in the shop for repairs, Protect My Car provides up to $30 a day for up to seven days for rental reimbursement. Those with an Ambassador plan can receive rental car reimbursement up to $30 a day for three days, or $90 total.

Note: Protect My Car does not offer coverage for vehicles in Alaska, California, Florida, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Is Protect My Car worth it?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, flexible payment options keep the company’s prices competitive. Its Driveline, Select and Supreme plans offer a wide variety of coverage that will please most customers with newer vehicles. The Ambassador plans appeal to those with older cars or cars with high mileage. Plus, the contract waiting period for Ambassador plans is only 15 days with no mileage requirement. Overall, Protect My Car is a solid choice for those seeking a car warranty.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car LLC?

Original review: May 27, 2020

Before this pandemic started, Protect My Car explained to me that it was a good coverage, that you could save money if something was to fail. The guy that I was speaking with was really good. But then, he left a few things out when I first got it that I wasn’t in knowledge of, but we got it taken care of. But before that, he told me everything that I have and told me everything that was correct. He acted professionally. It was just some things that he left out that I think that he didn’t intentionally do. It was just we both were moving fast.

He moved fast, trying to get my service, and he might have left a few things out that I needed to know to get it started with them. Because when I took my car to mechanic, they said, “Hey, you gotta wait at least these many days before taking the car to…” I wasn’t aware of that. So, they did a recording and they found that he didn’t explain it to me in the telephone call. So, they called me back and said, I could go ahead and take my car to the mechanic shop because I was right, he didn’t explain it to me.

I felt that he lied to me about one part that I had called in for. I used Protect My Car to get the car fixed, and I paid the other half. It was like he did a good job because he said it was this one thing, but then it came out to be another thing, and then I just was like, “Hey, since you really don’t know what you’re doing, just don’t put regular struts on it.” Because I got the airbag on my car. And after it kept falling on me, after the mechanic was supposed to replace the suspension airbag, then the compressor air pump came, which with the central airbag, they really didn’t get me out of that. And then, because I didn’t use Protect My Car for the compressor pump, I paid 350 extra for it. And then once the mechanic put that on there, it lit up and then it went back down all the time. So, I got with a family friend who told that I could switch them out from the airbag to the regular shock.

I was having a difficult time with issues with the car, and then not being able to take it to a mechanic shop due to all this COVID-19 stuff, and me not working. My job was cutting people off, and then my car started to act up. I’m not too far behind. I may probably be about a payment behind, and I was like, “Can I take it to a mechanic and still use your service?” And they were like, “No. You have to be caught up to date with it.” Also, I’ve been reaching out to them due to the COVID-19 with trying to make the payments. And there was something else that they told me. I called in the other day and spoke with someone, and they did really good on handling my payment, telling me that I can pay this, and when I commit to it some more, I could pay it like this.

Protect My Car is really a good coverage for a person because they do help save money and if you needed something done, they would be there. Even though I couldn’t use it because I had that one payment that was out there, I still see that you can call and they work with you. They wouldn’t just give up on the person that called them.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We do understand your point. Time constraints should never interfere with getting you the answers you need. Rest assured that whenever you have questions, our professional trained staff will be here to assist you. We apologize if our agent did not fully answer your question the first time around.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We appreciate your business.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I was googling and going through reviews and saw that there were several providers out there. Then I put on my Facebook page and asked if anybody used additional car insurance. A lot of people said that they had used or knew people that had used Protect My Car. I ended up getting it. For my transmission claim, it went a little rough at first but once I got on it, it went pretty quick. The adjuster was telling me that he had already talked to the place and that he was gonna be down there and tell them that he would be down there the next day. Then he did, and then we didn't hear from him and then he was gonna be there again.

My husband used to be a mechanic so we've done our own oil changes. But for the transmission, we would have to have it checked at the place to see if it needed fluid. For my motor, you have to have a special dipstick where you have to put it up on a rack to check it. Every time that my husband would change the oil, he would take it down to that little place that has that special dipstick. The guy would just come outside and check it. If the transmission fluid was fine, we went on. But they didn't have the paperwork for me to send Protect My Car because they didn't charge because they didn't have to put any fluid in it. It showed that we were there but it didn't show what we were there for so it got me aggravated.

They said I didn't have anything to show I changed my oil. I told them it's a transmission and all I got was receipts from Walmart. At first, I thought they weren't going to do anything. Luckily, they found in a computer where I was buying it. They took it through a transmission place and they had the transmission and the transmission fluid checked. That's what saved me. But I told them that they need to explain that to people. Now I know that if I take it anywhere, even if there was not a paper trail, I would write out something, no charge and that I was here. He also said we can continue to change the oil but we need to make sure that we keep the receipt of him showing them the month when we actually got the stuff and changed it.

I started dealing mostly with a rep who was supposed to get the claims adjuster and the paper and get all that rolling. But I felt like he kept putting it off and prolonging. He would tell me he filed the claim and he's waiting on it. And then he was telling the transmission place that had my vehicle something totally different. When I actually got ahold of Protect My Car, they told me that the form had not been filed yet. I was aggravated with him 'cause he was lying to both of us. He hadn't really done what he'd done and it took forever. But once they actually got a claims adjuster, it was good.

When I got ahold of somebody else and started dealing with them, they got somebody down there. We just had to wait on the transmission and they said it'd be five to seven business days, which it came in four days. The guy had it done for me the day after he got it. It was just miscommunication on my part. He thought that by explaining to me I needed to make sure I upkeep my vehicle, that I knew I needed to show proof. I even called back and asked them more questions 'cause I didn't take it right away. He was great as far as all that and explaining what I didn't understand.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We know that one size does not fit all, and we are always happy to do everything we can to accommodate each customer on an individual basis.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I was looking into purchasing service contracts for our vehicle because it's an older model car and I would like to keep it running. But I was nervous about of the prices because I've heard of some of the prices that other companies has provided. The Protect My Car representative broke down the payments to me and how it actually was going. I felt like that was a reasonable enough purchase. Their customer rating was reasonable too, and when I do decide to get a newer car, I was gonna transfer that one over to that because the amount of payment is reasonable. My plan covers everything that I would need, so it's good. It's been a great experience.

Their reps were friendly and down-to-earth. They spoke friendly enough to work with you in giving what you were looking. One time I had a dispute between the auto people that was working on my car. I called to report the auto people, but I didn't know exactly how that part worked. The rep told me that he felt my pain. But I didn't even wanna deal with the people anymore because if I have to go to that place to get one thing on my car fixed more than twice, then I feel like they're just not a reputable place for me.

I went in to the place to ask them to fix my air condition. I told them that I had brought a brand new pump for my air condition, it's like two years old. When I put it on there, I found out that my condenser was shot. I told the guy when I went in there about my condenser. He said, he put the pump on there, and it wasn't running. I'm certified in residential and I know that when you run a check for any type of electrical problem, you start at the beginning which will do the head of the dash and you work your way back if you have a split system to find out what's wrong with it.

The guy put the pump on there, he told me that it was working and he had a problem with the clutch on the compressor. But he was saying it was fixed, and then I looked at the bottom and I have no condensation dropping from my pan. So, he never went into the dash to check the condenser, now they wanted to charge me. Now again, they wanted to work on the condenser one more time. I said no. So, when he went in there and he put the condenser on there for me, and he told me that it was the weekend and that they don't get paid till such and such a day, and that they can take the car home for the weekend. In my mind, I said, "Well, that's what I paid $1300 for the first trip down there." It was $999 for him to put on a compressor, a fuse for my fan, and something else, and charged it up. I said, "But you didn't fix it. So the charge should have been free in the first place."

That was the second time. Protect My Car was asking me why I wasn't paying. I told them I've already complained about that place and I'm not paying them. Overall, it's a great plan to be in. Anyone that's got an older car needs that for the simple reason that the bills could rise up into the thousands. If you're on any type of fixed income, you need that. It's a great deal. It's fantastic. For me, it's a money thing. It's right on point, exactly what I needed. It's doing what it's supposed to do. All I have to do is get the mechanic to figure out what's wrong with the car. There's no dispute of that. The money from Protect My Car is right on time whenever it's needed. At least that's what the mechanic that was ripping me off was saying.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We are very pleased to know how much our efforts are helping our policyholders when they need that help.
    Our goal is to give every policy holder good peace of mind. Great rates, towing, rental car benefits, fast claims processing and the personal touch are just some of the ways we help provide that.
    Thanks once again for those great comments. Remember, we are still here to help again when the need arises.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

When I first heard of Protect My Car, I was on 42nd Street and I happened to be going to a site where they were talking about Protect My Car on Hot 97. Somebody was giving an example of why she fell in love with using it but I thought it sounded too good to be true. I called Protect My Car and when I told the rep that I worked for a union, he started telling me about the perks that he could get me. I was in school and the discounts kept going down. He seemed to know his job and how to navigate through the system so that I could get the most possible perks for my money.

Protect My Car had more perks at the time and it was really affordable. It was $69 after all of my amenities. At the time, I was financing and the interest rate was high. I had an extended warranty and it was excessively expensive. And after paying $200 for another policy that didn't have anything of the same, I decided to get Protect My Car after my initial warranty went out. My car was an older vehicle and I decided to do this to protect me 'cause I love my car.

While I was going through the deal, I told him it was good. But then, when I got the initial package, some of the parts that I know that I was entitled to don't come in the Protect My Car. The only thing that came in there was the policy and the car itself. So now, I needed to find out how to go about finding out for the other stuff that I was entitled to.

The quality of the policy is really good and I don't have to wait as long as AAA. When I am on the phone with Protect My Car, I had to wait at the most five minutes for someone to come on. When I was working, my car broke down on the 30 and the warranty was pulling on a 50. It was a Saturday and I told the rep about it. They told me they would fetch me first thing on Monday.

I was completely in disarray because of where my car stopped. I was scared and I had my kids with me. When I called Protect My Car, they were very passionate and told me it was okay. All of that anxiety when I fell went right down to my big toe when I kicked it right off me so I was feeling good. The guy was able to find a contracting company to come out and grab my vehicle. They happened to be on the same block and right next door to the garage that housed the cars that they were working on. The fact that they took that time out showed me that not only this person liked his job, but he was in this job for all the right reasons to make sure to service the client. I felt loved and I felt like I called my cousin Pete and told him what I needed. The guy made it happen all by 5 o'clock.

I had a $1,000 worth of works done to my car and I only paid $293 in total. That's with the difference of the tow, which is auto-deductible and for the parts that weren't covered. It was great because it fell around the same time as my car payment. I had the chance to be able to do both and still be able to have lunch. Then, I asked the place where I got my vehicle done if they thought Protect My Car was pleasant. He spoke of all the experience as the mechanic working on the vehicle and getting the payment. Even that transition was seamless. I hear terrible conversations about the payment aspect with a third-party but it was a good experience that when my car went out, the service guy went and got me a new car key. Also, instead of me having to pay $300 on a car key, I only spent $125.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for those comments. That is exactly that we like to hear. In fact, giving our customers great peace of mind is our number one goal around here. Thank you very much for letting us know we are meeting that goal and thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I purchased a service contract because I know if anything goes wrong with my car, it will cost a lot of money to fix it because of the type of car it is. I had called Protect My Car in regards to being interested in them before, but their payments were too high, so I didn't get any warranty with them. But then they called me back about a year later offering a dollar down payment, and then the monthly payments were a lot lower than what I was quoted originally when I contacted them. So the pricing was reasonable. The Protect My Car reps answered the questions and issues that I had. They were very knowledgeable with what was going on.

I filed a claim for my AC that had went out. I was taking my car for an oil change because it was time for it.. But while I was on my way there, I noticed that my air had stopped blowing cold. I actually noticed it the day before, so I was like, "I'm taking it anyway to get my oil change. I'll just inquire about it." So I thought it just needed some Freon because it just happened out of the blue. When I took it in to the repair shop, they called me back and said no, it wasn't low on Freon but the compressor had went out. So that's when I told them, "Well, I have a warranty on it," and I gave them the Protect My Car information and that was it. I never spoke to anybody. The repair shop did it.

Things weren't really explained to me properly until they actually started fixing the stuff on my car. I did not know that Protect My Car doesn't cover any kind of fluids or any kind of replacement that they had to replace in order to fix whatever was wrong with the part. The repair shop put a compressor on. I had to pay for all the antifreeze that they put back in there and they had to do something and I had to replace the oil. I had to buy bolts or screws or anything that they used to put my compressor on. So, that never was explained to me. I did not expect to have to pay for that because they still came up to be kind of pricey.

The claim process took a while. They had to send an inspector out. And then, after they sent the inspector out, it took them like three more days to even approve the repair. So my car was just sitting there because the repair shop wasn't gonna touch it until they got the okay from the warranty that it was gonna be covered. And because I know that if it was too expensive, I wasn't gonna be able to pay. So I told them not to do anything. That took a process, so I was without a car for whole seven days because I had to wait on Protect My Car to send somebody out. And then when a man came out, I felt they could have done better. When they come out, they should already have a laptop or something with them so when at once they approve the claim, then they should be able to process it right then.

It shouldn't be that they come out, Protect My Car approves it, and they can get a guy right there to work on it. They told them they had to wait until they got a confirmation number or something before they proceed. So it took them three days to send them that before they can even start working. I think that's ridiculous. There should be a quicker process.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We at Protect My Car are always trying to find ways to benefit our customers by offering special discount programs, like the one you described, and offering additional benefits when possible.

We are very glad you chose Protect My Car. Glad to have you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I have an older car that doesn't have a lot of miles and I was laid off of my job due to the pandemic, so I thought it would be wise to try to get something in the event something occurred with my car. I wanted to make sure that I could be able to maintain the vehicle without incurring big price tags with repairs. I received a call from a Protect My Car representative and she was very thorough and knowledgeable about the product. She went over everything with me and gave full information about what was covered. She told me I would get an email within this number of days and I would receive this information. I knew what to expect every step of the way, so it took a lot of guesswork out.

I had a lot of questions, so the representative remained calm, answered all of my questions, and handled everything in an extremely professional manner. She also left a number available to me if I had any additional questions after that. I could always call and talk to someone about any other concerns I may have had, but I didn't have any 'cause she covered everything for me. That's why I went with Protect My Car. As far as the coverage for the warranty, everything was reasonable. They were even able to get me in a plan where I had no deductible. Whenever any repairs are made to my vehicle, I don't have to pay anything out of pocket, which was a great blessing when I had to take my car in.

I just provided the documentation that was needed and the service manager had the most communication with them. She made sure that she got everything moving as well. It was a slow process but that was to be expected due to the COVID. My car was at the repair place for about three weeks. However, she did tell me it would be a little while before they would be able to get to my vehicle because of the pandemic. Otherwise, everything was taken care of. The service manager also made sure they were able to put me in a loaner. My daughter was expecting and my mom had chemo treatments, so it was critical that I had a vehicle. All in all, this year has been really difficult and I'm grateful that I have Protect My Car available to assist me.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your review. It always nice to hear when a customer has a good experience. We know you will save a lot of money with this coverage. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I got a service contract just in case my 2014 Subaro starts having trouble. Protect My Car's rep called me and told me how much their coverage was. It was reasonable and it suited my needs. So far, things have worked out well.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We totally agree with your decision to protect yourself and your budget from the high cost of repairs.
    It really does make a difference to have a professional adjuster discuss the repairs with the dealership or the shop you choose to use. We can not only make sure the right repair is being done, but done right and at the best possible cost for you, our customer.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car and thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

The sign up process with Protect My Car was very nice and easy. I've only had an oil change so far and it was fine.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for those comments. We really appreciate them. We do work hard to make sure that with one phone call you can get towed in, activate rental car benefits and get fast, efficient claims service, all with low monthly premiums tailored to fit your budget. That’s what we call good peace of mind. We are very happy that our company, staff and coverage has given you that. Best of all, we will be here to assist you when you next need help with your vehicle. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

When I was signing up with Protect my Car I initially got a rep who was very pushy. My wife told me to hang up on that rep twice. Then, I got a nice guy who sold me on their coverage. Right after we got their coverage, I told them that my car needed an oil change and that the change of oil was overdue. I took it to a Jiffy Lube and Protect My Car took care of that.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the review. We are glad you are with us and we will work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I had a warranty before when I purchased my car and the insurance was too high and they didn't cover as much as what Protect My Car covers. With Protect My Car, I like that I could pay it on a monthly basis and they gave me a 30-day waiting period. But I'm going to stop the warranty on both of the cars because I can't afford to pay it right now and it doesn't cover a lot of things that I thought it was gonna cover. When I put my car in the shop, I ended up having to pay for my service. There's a lot of stipulations and things about it I don't like. It's a hassle to me. I've had it for a little bit but I wouldn't knock anybody else that may wanna get it.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. we completely understand. We have, in fact, been working with our customers to provide needed financial help with their premiums and costs due the shutdown. Since you may benefit from that help., we urge you to give us a call.

Thank you for being a valued customer of Protect My Car.

Protect My Car Company Information