Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.30/5

Protect My Car is a premier Auto Repair Protection provider. The company's goal is to eliminate the worry of being financially responsible for an expensive mechanical breakdown. With a Protect My Car Vehicle Service Contract or Ambassador Plan, you’re instantly eliminating any concerns about being fully burdened with the cost of a covered repair.

Protect My Car Video

BOTTOM LINE

Protect My Car allows a long 60-month repayment plan. Although their Ambassador plan only offers partial coverage, Protect My Car’s other plans satisfy a wide array of needs.

PROS

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Longest repayment period

CONS

• Not offered in all states

Top Protect My Car Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

I also like the number of items covered by Protect My Car, more significantly the cost per month I have set up with them, the overall contract duration and total financing that I’m working at with them over a four-year period.

Protect My Car had answers. It was just a better experience. It was easier to do business with them ... and the person I dealt with was very knowledgeable. He was very helpful in helping me weigh the pros and cons. Plus it wasn’t a high-pressure type of sale. It was more of a relaxed conversation.

Protect My Car Call Now Toll Free (609) 401-2762 Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is an extended auto warranty broker. It offers a variety of plans that cover both new vehicles and older, high-mileage vehicles. Protect My Car directly administers its policies, meaning you don’t have to work with a middleman or seek third-party approval.

Protect My Car payment

You can request a free online quote from Protect My Car. The company has an average down payment of $69, which is low compared with other car warranty companies. The daily cost for a Protect My Car plan averages from around $2 to $2.50, and the deductible for its vehicle service contract is $100 for all covered parts, repairs and labor. The company’s Ambassador plan, which offers partial coverage, has a deductible of either 25% or 50% of the costs for covered parts, repairs and labor.

Protect My Car has a 30-day, money-back guarantee. This is standard among extended auto warranty companies and allows you to cancel your plan in the first 30 days. This is helpful in case you decide that a car warranty isn’t right for you. Because Protect My Car is a direct provider, it can work directly with you to come up with a payment plan.

Protect My Car plans

Protect My Car plans offer up to 48 months of coverage. The company has six plans: three traditional plans and three plans specifically designed for older cars. Its traditional plans cover vehicles with fewer than 150,000 miles and under 13 years of age:

• The Driveline plan is designed for vehicles with high mileage. It covers electrical systems, fuel systems, drive axles, transmission and the engine.
  • The Select plan offers everything the Driveline plan offers, plus coverage for the ABS master cylinder, temperature control, brake system and heating and cooling systems.
  • The Supreme plan covers everything covered in the Select plan, plus the front and rear suspension and steering components. This is the closest thing Protect My Car has to a bumper-to-bumper extended auto warranty.
ServiceDrivelineSelectSupreme
Temperature control
ABS master cylinder
Steering components
Front and rear suspension

The Ambassador plans are designed for vehicles with more than 150,000 miles or that are over 13 years old. These plans can cover cars with up to 300,000 miles and 22 years of age. Each plan comes with a maintenance program that includes three yearly oil changes and two yearly tire rotations, and two of the plans include roadside assistance.

• The Ambassador Platinum plan is designed for older, high-mileage vehicles. It covers most non-wear and tear items, including transmissions, engines and drive axles. Protect My Car pays 75% of covered labor and repairs, and the coverage holder pays the remaining 25%. This plan includes the maintenance program.
  • The Ambassador Elite plan offers the same coverage as Ambassador Platinum, except Protect My Car pays 50% of covered repairs and labor, and the coverage holder pays the remaining 50%. This plan includes the maintenance program.
  • The Ambassador Pro plan works the exact same way as the Elite plan, but it doesn’t include roadside assistance. The Ambassador Pro plan is cheaper than the Ambassador Elite plan.

Protect My Car Ambassador plans also cover vehicles used for business (like Uber, Lyft or hauling), vehicles with a salvage/branded title and vehicles with modifications.

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car’s coverage is limited to cars under 300,000 miles and less than 22 years old. Protect My Car’s contracts range from three to four years in length and are generally transferable. The liability limit on a Protect My Car extended warranty is a flat rate and is not based on the value of the car. You have to wait 30 days after your contract purchase date and drive 1,000 miles before Protect My Car accepts claims for vehicle service contract holders. Ambassador policyholders have a 15-day waiting period with no mileage requirements.

Protect My Car’s roadside assistance comes with all Protect My Car’s vehicle service contracts and is also available with two of their three Ambassador plans. This includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump-starts. If your car is in the shop for repairs, Protect My Car provides up to $30 a day for up to seven days for rental reimbursement. Those with an Ambassador plan can receive rental car reimbursement up to $30 a day for three days, or $90 total.

Note: Protect My Car does not offer coverage for vehicles in Alaska, California, Florida, Hawaii, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Is Protect My Car worth it?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, flexible payment options keep the company’s prices competitive. Its Driveline, Select and Supreme plans offer a wide variety of coverage that will please most customers with newer vehicles. The Ambassador plans appeal to those with older cars or cars with high mileage. Plus, the contract waiting period for Ambassador plans is only 15 days with no mileage requirement. Overall, Protect My Car is a solid choice for those seeking a car warranty.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I was calling a supposed number of Chase Bank that a rep gave me and I wound up calling Protect my Car. Their rep told me about their warranty and how it's a really good deal at a great price. He told me that their coverage protects my car and said what they could do for me. He ended up asking for my credit card and selling me their warranty. They sent me all the paperwork. So far, I'm happy with the warranty I got.

Before I got Protect My Car, I had received many spammer calls asking me if I wanted to get an auto warranty. I talked with reps from different companies and discussed their warranties with them. Other warranty companies wanted me to pay an enormous amount of money up front. Alternatively, they wanted me to pay a startup fee and I would then have the warranty for 14 days to review it and make sure I wanna keep it. Then, they would charge me a couple of thousand dollars. I never went with them and I got discouraged from them repeatedly calling me after I requested that they remove me from their call list.

With Protect my Car, I used their warranty, took my car to a dealership and they gave me a loaner car. When I left my service advisor my Protect My Car identification card and told him to contact them if there were any repairs that needed to be done, he called me and said that he had not been able to reach Protect My Car and that he had been on hold for an hour. He said this was one of the reasons why he did not prefer to use warranty companies. I told him that I can call or send an email to the representative that I normally deal with and that rep could get someone to call him back. I got into contact with Tara and she made arrangements for a rep to call my service advisor and get everything processed. This problem could have been due to the time of day or I brought my car to the dealership on a day of the week when Protect My Car had a large amount of phone calls. Still, Tara was able to get things resolved and approved.

The dealership diagnosed all kinds of things and determined that things needed to be done. My car needed electrical work. They also recommended that I get two new tires. I just paid for my deductible and for the tires and Protect my Car covered everything else. I've only had good experiences with this company and it's due to the rep I've been dealing with. She has a great personality and cares about dealing with people. She is a customer service specialist who is committed to Protect My Car and her job. There was a time when I called in to cancel my coverage and I talked to her. She resolved issues and told me to stay in contact with her for any concerns and she would help make sure everything is okay.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.
We do work hard to make sure this protection is affordable for everyone’s budget. It’s all part of not just doing the right thing, but doing things right for each customer.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Before this pandemic started, Protect My Car explained to me that it was a good coverage, that you could save money if something was to fail. The guy that I was speaking with was really good. But then, he left a few things out when I first got it that I wasn’t in knowledge of, but we got it taken care of. But before that, he told me everything that I have and told me everything that was correct. He acted professionally. It was just some things that he left out that I think that he didn’t intentionally do. It was just we both were moving fast.

He moved fast, trying to get my service, and he might have left a few things out that I needed to know to get it started with them. Because when I took my car to mechanic, they said, “Hey, you gotta wait at least these many days before taking the car to…” I wasn’t aware of that. So, they did a recording and they found that he didn’t explain it to me in the telephone call. So, they called me back and said, I could go ahead and take my car to the mechanic shop because I was right, he didn’t explain it to me.

I felt that he lied to me about one part that I had called in for. I used Protect My Car to get the car fixed, and I paid the other half. It was like he did a good job because he said it was this one thing, but then it came out to be another thing, and then I just was like, “Hey, since you really don’t know what you’re doing, just don’t put regular struts on it.” Because I got the airbag on my car. And after it kept falling on me, after the mechanic was supposed to replace the suspension airbag, then the compressor air pump came, which with the central airbag, they really didn’t get me out of that. And then, because I didn’t use Protect My Car for the compressor pump, I paid 350 extra for it. And then once the mechanic put that on there, it lit up and then it went back down all the time. So, I got with a family friend who told that I could switch them out from the airbag to the regular shock.

I was having a difficult time with issues with the car, and then not being able to take it to a mechanic shop due to all this COVID-19 stuff, and me not working. My job was cutting people off, and then my car started to act up. I’m not too far behind. I may probably be about a payment behind, and I was like, “Can I take it to a mechanic and still use your service?” And they were like, “No. You have to be caught up to date with it.” Also, I’ve been reaching out to them due to the COVID-19 with trying to make the payments. And there was something else that they told me. I called in the other day and spoke with someone, and they did really good on handling my payment, telling me that I can pay this, and when I commit to it some more, I could pay it like this.

Protect My Car is really a good coverage for a person because they do help save money and if you needed something done, they would be there. Even though I couldn’t use it because I had that one payment that was out there, I still see that you can call and they work with you. They wouldn’t just give up on the person that called them.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We do understand your point. Time constraints should never interfere with getting you the answers you need. Rest assured that whenever you have questions, our professional trained staff will be here to assist you. We apologize if our agent did not fully answer your question the first time around.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We appreciate your business.

Original review: April 5, 2020

A year and a half ago, I had an issue with my trunk and I thought I had extended warranty purchased through the dealership. I found out I did not. It was a small repair but it kinda made me paranoid. And then I had forgotten about it. In December, I was online and there was a thing for a $3000 Amazon gift card, which clearly was a hoax. It said you had to sign up for all types of things for them to send you advertisements. The warranty thing came up and I thought that I wanted to look into extended warranty. I clicked that one and 10 minutes later, somebody called my phone. I'm not gonna say I loved my experience with the rep, but it was fate from God that made me purchase it when I did.

My car was running fine and I only had 3,000 miles. I almost wasn’t gonna purchase the warranty, but I wanted the lady to leave me alone and I ended up getting it. Getting approval was a very long process. And I didn’t think it would be that expensive. But then, I found out that was the standard procedure for it. The claim was initially denied and I was given a bogus reason for the denial, which concerned me. At one point, the person told me that my claim had been denied because I had used tires instead of brand-new tires and that they weren’t the same type of tires, which caused the imbalance.

One of my close friends was a mechanic and he said that the imbalance would have to be extreme, like having a tire for a Civic and a tire for an SUV. That kinda upset me and I thought that Protect My Car was really stretching to avoid the claim. I argued that down and said that I was with a mechanic and then, less than five minutes later, they approved the claim.

From the moment my car broke down and I contacted them, which was a Wednesday, I was in a rental car for about three weeks. My rental fee was over $500 and they only cover 210. I still had to cover $300, which was because it took them a week and a half to approve the claim. Once they approved the claim, I got my car back in a week and I was shocked. The cost was almost $4,000, but I just paid the deductible.

I’m so glad that I’ve always had records. I tell anybody that gets a warranty, "Make sure you have records of everything done to your car and make sure it’s all scheduled because I noticed that the first thing they ask is what your routine maintenance was.” I had to fax in all that documentation. Also, make sure you're going to a certifiable place. I got all the receipts from any place that I had gotten my car done.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you very much for those comments. As you indicated, it usually only takes one break down and the resulting expensive repair to make a believer of most doubters. Once you save $1000 or more in unexpected repair costs, you know how valuable these plans can be to protect you, your budget and your car.

Thank you for your faith in choosing Protect My Car. We will not let you down.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I was googling and going through reviews and saw that there were several providers out there. Then I put on my Facebook page and asked if anybody used additional car insurance. A lot of people said that they had used or knew people that had used Protect My Car. I ended up getting it. For my transmission claim, it went a little rough at first but once I got on it, it went pretty quick. The adjuster was telling me that he had already talked to the place and that he was gonna be down there and tell them that he would be down there the next day. Then he did, and then we didn't hear from him and then he was gonna be there again.

My husband used to be a mechanic so we've done our own oil changes. But for the transmission, we would have to have it checked at the place to see if it needed fluid. For my motor, you have to have a special dipstick where you have to put it up on a rack to check it. Every time that my husband would change the oil, he would take it down to that little place that has that special dipstick. The guy would just come outside and check it. If the transmission fluid was fine, we went on. But they didn't have the paperwork for me to send Protect My Car because they didn't charge because they didn't have to put any fluid in it. It showed that we were there but it didn't show what we were there for so it got me aggravated.

They said I didn't have anything to show I changed my oil. I told them it's a transmission and all I got was receipts from Walmart. At first, I thought they weren't going to do anything. Luckily, they found in a computer where I was buying it. They took it through a transmission place and they had the transmission and the transmission fluid checked. That's what saved me. But I told them that they need to explain that to people. Now I know that if I take it anywhere, even if there was not a paper trail, I would write out something, no charge and that I was here. He also said we can continue to change the oil but we need to make sure that we keep the receipt of him showing them the month when we actually got the stuff and changed it.

I started dealing mostly with a rep who was supposed to get the claims adjuster and the paper and get all that rolling. But I felt like he kept putting it off and prolonging. He would tell me he filed the claim and he's waiting on it. And then he was telling the transmission place that had my vehicle something totally different. When I actually got ahold of Protect My Car, they told me that the form had not been filed yet. I was aggravated with him 'cause he was lying to both of us. He hadn't really done what he'd done and it took forever. But once they actually got a claims adjuster, it was good.

When I got ahold of somebody else and started dealing with them, they got somebody down there. We just had to wait on the transmission and they said it'd be five to seven business days, which it came in four days. The guy had it done for me the day after he got it. It was just miscommunication on my part. He thought that by explaining to me I needed to make sure I upkeep my vehicle, that I knew I needed to show proof. I even called back and asked them more questions 'cause I didn't take it right away. He was great as far as all that and explaining what I didn't understand.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. We know that one size does not fit all, and we are always happy to do everything we can to accommodate each customer on an individual basis.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I felt I was overpaying with my previous company. I was with CarShield for seven months and nothing went wrong with the car. And it always made me nervous that if there was a big expensive problem that required opening up the motor and/or the transmission and they determined that it was a solenoid or something electrical, that they would just not pay for that. So, I like the fact that Protect My Car would cover a solenoid. I know that most of these engine problems are electrical. So, the fact that CarShield doesn't cover that made me nervous. I like Protect My Car's structure better. I paid a little over half of what I used to be paying and they would cover half the bill.

It's policy that if a company determines that the issue is an electrical problem and not a moving metal part, they don't cover it. If my mechanic said it was a moving electrical part and it was a big expensive bill, they send out an adjuster who comes and does his own inspection and he might determine that it is an electrical part that was the original cause of the failure and then there's a disagreement, then it goes to arbitration and so forth. I had a rep on the phone once and he said if it's a big expensive repair or if the transmission needs rebuilding or the top half of the motor needs rebuilding, most times, they pay it. I said, "Well, what percentage of times?" He said, "75%." That's not good enough for me. It was more clear and more clean. Protect My Car has a cleaner, more realistic structure.

I did a claim with Protect My Car a couple of months after I switched to them. It was a camshaft actuator solenoid that was the problem. That was the reason my check engine light was going off and there were a couple of other problems too. And the fact that I was with Protect My Car brought my bill from around 1,100 down to 650. So, I was quite happy with that and I just had my free oil change, which was the first of three this year. I like that too. That's another thing that CarShield doesn't have.

The mechanic did the filing of the claim for me. That was what Protect My Car told me to do. Before the mechanic does any work, they have to give them a call. He was a little bit skeptical about the oil change. He said, "You know, I don't really make much on the oil change and I hope it's not a big time commitment like it was with the repair." It was a complex repair. There were lots of moving parts involved in that repair. So, I take his griping with a little grain of salt. It wasn't like it was just three little things.

Overall, I'm happy to be with Protect My Car. I like that they have a rapport with AAMCO. I'm an Uber driver, so the health of my car is more important to me than the average person. The salesman was awfully helpful on the phone when he pitched me on switching. And if I hadn't switched, my feeling is that CarShield would have left me out in the cold because it was a solenoid that was the major problem there. It was not a moving metal part that cracked in there. It was an electrical thing. So, that's the main difference and that's why I like Protect My Car better.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that very much. We are very pleased to have helped you with the recent repair and glad we saved you so much money. That’s what a good policy is supposed to do. We look forward to helping you in the future when you need help. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.
    Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Protect My Car was reasonable. I like the rates and coverage. I called in for my oil change and repair claims and the quality of service I got was very good. The cost won't break the bank too much. Since having it, I know my vehicle is protected. If the transmission falls in the street, I know I won’t have to worry about it. I already had a couple of people already signed up through Protect My Car through me. They ask me things like, “Is it hard to get a service plate? Does it take a long time to get repairs done?” I tell them that it doesn't take long. All they have to do is set up a claim, take the vehicle to the shop they want, call it in, and boom, running through. Then they're good. It's great. It did what it’s supposed to do.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for a great review. You said exactly what are agents want to do for every customer, day in and day out. Provide great service to our customers while we protect their car and their budget. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car and thank you for the referrals. We appreciate tat very much.

Thank you again for providing your thoughts, comments and ratings. We are glad you are with us.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I wasn't happy at the beginning. I filed a claim for a repair that needs to be for my car and Protect My Car didn't pay for the full amount. They only paid like $400 out of $1000. I thought it wasn't a good thing and I was about to cancel my plan because of that. But then a really nice guy talked to me and then I just decided to fix it. I paid whatever I got to pay, and that was why I stayed with them.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your business and we are glad you are staying with Protect My Car.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

When I originally talked to a rep, he was awesome. But I was driving at the time so I didn't have a way to write things down. Then when I called back, I couldn't get back to the same person and I like to talk to the same person.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments and your rating. Our agents do stay busy and are not always available when you call, but we are sure that any of our agents you speak with will have the same professional and friendly attitude. Their goal is to answer your questions honestly and make you glad you called.

Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad you did and know you will save a ton of money with this coverage.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Everything was okay with Protect My Car up until the point I had to kick out $5,000 to get the vehicle back. They wouldn't release it. The problem started because the car broke down, the battery died and the whole locking mechanism locked up to where as though it shut down. I couldn't get in the car. The original main door lock broke and it threw the whole system off. The trunk would open up and close on its own once in a while and the doors wouldn't lock like they were supposed to. The keys weren't working and everything was off. I was told what the issue was with my vehicle and I called Protect My Car. I asked the guy what was included in my select package and he told me. So I told him to do the work not thinking I was gonna have to pay $5,000 to get the car back.

I was told the electrical door mechanism was covered and then it wasn't. They paid for the fuel pump to get done and I had to pay for all the rubber pieces that wasn't included in the package. So I wound up paying more money towards the rubber package pieces that had to go with those parts. That was hardware that they paid for to be repaired. Protect My Car didn't wanna pay to repair the car and I didn't want it back not repaired. So, I had to come out of pocket. They covered 40% and I paid 60. It was a disaster. While my car was getting fixed, I was in a car accident. I got rear-ended and I had to pay for their loaner car and my car. It was terrible. It took them a month to do the work because they couldn't fix it at first at BMW. It took them so long and when I finally went to go pick it up, it was another $1,000 bill.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for your comments. As often happens, more than one thing can go wrong with your vehicle at one time. Your claim consisted of covered components that were addressable by the coverage, and components that were not listed for coverage under your plan. The shop you chose to use for the repair was paid by Protect My Car for the covered claims and simply asked you to pay the non-covered portion of the repair costs. With the coverage you saved over $6,000 on just this one repair and we are glad we were able to help you with the portion of the repair.

Thank you for your comments.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

My vehicle is expensive to fix, which was why I decided to get a service contract and Protect My Car was the first one I found out about. I hit a pothole and bust my tire, and when I got the vehicle on the tow truck, they broke something else. The dealership called and talked to Protect My Car. They covered my cost for the shop and my other insurance is supposed to cover the other part. The coverage with Protect My Car is good and having the extended warranty is very valuable.

Protect My Car response
    Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that very much. We are very pleased to have helped you with the recent repair and we look forward to helping you in the future when you need help.

Thanks again for your comments.

Protect My Car Company Information