Get Pricing

4.4/5 (253 ratings)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service contract provider. The company's goal is to eliminate the worry of being financially responsible for an expensive mechanical breakdown. With a Protect My Car extended auto warranty, you don’t have to worry about being fully burdened with the cost of a covered repair.

Pros

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Long payment plan

Cons

• Not offered in all states
  • Mileage limits on lower side

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 10 years old with up to 125,000 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I told the rep the experience I was having. He asked me what the mileage of my car was. I told him. “Oh, yeah, we can cover you.” I said, “Okay. Cool, great. Because I’ve been trying to look for an extended warranty for my car since the dealership that I had purchased my vehicle from had closed down.” He said he could get me in on an offer. I asked how much it was. And it was because the Buccaneers were going to the Super Bowl, I got in $50 downpayment and $90 a month. I’ve been with Protect My Car ever since.

My first experience in using their services was a long delay. I was sitting in the mechanic shop at 8 o'clock that morning. It took them all day to get an approval. I ended up leaving the shop at 6 o'clock. On the website, it said that Protect My Car opened at 8 o'clock. When I called 8 o'clock, it kept saying, “Well, press this number for something, press this number for this.” When I got to the second step, it disconnected me. Their website said 8 o'clock, but they opened up lines at 8:40. After that, I got transferred to somebody. The rep said, “We'll give you a call back.” I waited and waited, no call back. By that time, I was aggravated. I waited until 9:15 to call again, and I didn’t get a human response until 9:40-ish. I was livid by that time. That was the first incident, and I was livid.

By 11 o’clock we finally spoke to someone. I said, “Well, I've been here since 8 o'clock, is there any way that you can speak to a mechanic while he’s here while I’m on the phone with you?” “Oh, no. They have to call from the landline.” I said I didn’t want to sit there and wait another three, four, five, six hours, waiting on them to respond back or pick up the phone. So he ended up calling after 12 o'clock. Didn’t get any approval until after 2 o'clock. They asked unnecessary questions when I only wanted one specific thing done. “If the motor locked up, can you work on the motor?” I said, “It has nothing to do with what I need done. Why are you asking these unnecessary questions? Some questions don't need to be answered due to the fact that I’m specifically giving you what I mean to be handled.”

I’m sitting on the phone since 8 o'clock this morning. I constantly called Protect My Car, but the automated systems kept hanging up. I called them to get someone. I was transferred five different times. I felt like no one wanted to talk to me, or wanted the business, or wanted to do what they wanted to do. But we got that done. The second time, I thought my transmission was getting ready to go out but my fluid was low. I talked to someone 12 o'clock back then, when I was sitting at the shop at 8 o’clock. I left there 5 o’clock on the second day. Protect My Car is a good policy, but I couldn't get to someone and get an approval. If I had trouble using the services my first and second time, I wouldn't recommend anyone for the simple fact that it was like, “Tag, you’re it. Tag, no, you’re not it.”

Protect My Car response

Thank you for providing your feedback, and for taking time to speak with a specialist regarding your concerns. We apologize for the inconveniences you endured due to wait times and transfers, but we are very confident that we have taken proper steps to prevent that from happening again. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Loyalty Department for further assistance. We thank you for being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I've had EVAP system and I just had something else fixed. I like those claims. Protect My Car moves quickly and they have great coverage.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. Glad we met our goal of providing a hassle-free claims experience. Best part, of course, is that we will be here again when you need us. That's the mark of a good service plan. Thanks for sharing your comments and thank you for being a valued member of Protect My Car.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Protect My Car provides for oil changes and other issues that may arise. The air conditioning stopped working and it wouldn‘t blow cold air. The guy said, “Oh, you can't call me. The mechanic has to call me directly.” That was a bit of a pain in the neck. I said, “I'm sitting right with the mechanic right here in the shop.” The guy said, “Tell the guy from the shop you have to use our parts people.” The mechanic said, “I know what parts this vehicle needs, and I don't want to use your parts because you'll get the substandard, cheap ones.” He stuck to his guns. Finally, Protect My Car said okay. They helped. But I had to pay half.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for providing your comments on your experience with Protect My Car. We certainly understand the frustrations of being informed the shop has to call to start a claim, and we will be looking into other contact options, just for instances like yours. Thank you for that feedback! Also, our Ambassador series of policies was created specifically for vehicle owners whose vehicles do not qualify for standard extended breakdown coverage, either because of excessive age or miles, or because of other conditions. We strive to ensure customers save as much as possible on repairs, so we do attempt negotiations with every shop. If a shop is not able, or unwilling, to accept our parts, we will most assuredly work with them for parts. We are always willing to go the extra mile to help you when you need it. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you again for your very insightful comments.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Their rep was fairly on point from what she told me but with the policy that I got, I thought it covered the whole cost of the repair and not a portion. I had one issue where the mechanic called me and told me he couldn't get paid until I paid. I just so happened to be a truck driver at the time and I was on the road. I couldn't pay until I was back from work. I didn't find that out till down the line, but it was cool. The majority of the stuff that I've tried to get done to the car wasn't any problem. I would recommend them to somebody looking for a warranty company.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We do regret the inconvenience you experienced. During the initial sign up process, our agents are very thorough with explaining the coverage, but we completely understand that a lot of information is being thrown at you in a short period of time, so not everything will be retained. That is one of the reasons we stress reviewing the policy documentation when you receive it, so that you have full understanding of your coverage. We do apologize that we were not able to communicate better so that you were not caught off guard with having to pay a portion of the repair cost. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact Customer Loyalty for further assistance. Thank you for being such a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

My car just shut off out of nowhere so I had to call the roadside assistance. Then, I had to take my car to Firestone because the alternator had gone out and I needed a new battery. The claim process was very convenient. I talked to the guy that actually did the claim with the specialist and he said that usually, he doesn't work with people who have a warranty like this because they try to send checks or they try to not pay him. But he said that with Protect My Car, he was able to be paid right on time. He said it was fast and he would use it again. Also, I got the car back the same day I put it in the shop and that kinda made me glad that I ended up getting Protect My Car.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for that review. That really is the goal we strive for with every claim we handle. Having your vehicle breakdown on the road is stressful enough. The repair process does not have to be as well. We are very glad to have helped you with that repair. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car and thanks again for the review.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Protect My Car doing the advertisement through the radio seemed more professional than any other car warranty. The rep that I dealt with when I was signing up told me as much as I have to know. He was good and more honest. It was like I was getting the employee feedback, plus I was getting his side, like if he didn’t work there.

I’ve submitted a claim about my axle and ball joint, and it went pretty fair. They didn’t cover my axle. But they paid for some of it, which definitely helped me. Also, I got an oil change and I had to pay for it. Protect My Car said they would reimburse me, but I still haven't received it. It’s been three months already. But it was my fault because I should have checked in. Other than that, they reimbursed me on my tow, which came back two weeks later. So they’re pretty good on the communication part.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with Protect My Car. We appreciate it very much. Protect My Car makes every effort to assist customers with all repairs to their vehicle, but there are times that circumstances prevent us from approving some items or components. A specialist attempted to contact you regarding the oil change reimbursement, but was only able to leave a voicemail. We do show an email was sent to you on July 8th with information pertaining to your reimbursement, as well. Please don't hesitate to contact Customer Loyalty for further assistance, and again, thank you for your comments!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

When an issue occurs, I go to the dealership and they tell me what needs to be repaired and what ways I can go about repairing it. Then, I get them to call Protect My Car. They go through an exchange to figure out how prices can be met at the most effective for each company and what parts are being replaced. My most recent claim was for the power steering and it's been pretty cool since the repair.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. It really does make a difference to have a professional adjuster discuss the repairs with the dealership or the shop you choose to use. We can not only make sure the right repair is being done but done right and at the best possible cost for you, our customer. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car and thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

When I talked to Protect My Car, they seemed to care and they're not just in it to get my money. I’d pay for it for two or three years and then, it's without payment for the last two or three years. I like that. Then, when I had my car serviced, they didn't give me and the mechanic a hard time. The mechanic did a whole diagnostic to find out what exactly was going on with the car and Protect My Car covered it all, except for one piece that was not on the list of things they cover. But with everything else, I only had to pay my $100 and I was good to go.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that very much. We make it a mission to provide a hassle-free claims experience, and we are very pleased to have helped you with the recent repair and we look forward to helping you in the future when you need help. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I had a situation where I took my car somewhere to get serviced, and we paid the guy, but none of the work was done. When I called Protect My Car and explained to them the situation, instead of them trying to come up with a solution, they told me that we're just gonna have to take it as a loss. They also asked why I didn't check to make sure that the repairs were done. I said, “I’m not a mechanic. I don't know. I made this assumption based off the fact that my car is not driving any better than what it was when I brought it in here." When I took the car to another shop, and I paid out of pocket myself.

I would not refer anyone to Protect My Car because they don't have a way to guarantee their customers that when they get their vehicles back, they don't have a way to guarantee that the vehicles are going to come back done and right. I just don't feel like it's a safe process. I also feel that I have to make a claim with the Better Business Bureau, and possibly, maybe contact the attorney general. If I drop my car off somewhere and I'm paying for a standard warranty, the warranty company pays for majority of the charges, I just pay for my deductible.

You would expect your vehicle to come back completed and done. It’s going through a certified shop, but they had no way to protect me as a customer. They didn't even have a way to protect themselves as a business. They just said, "Oh, the best we can do is try to ask for our money back because the work wasn’t done." I said, “That’s it? No investigation? He's just going to get away with taking over $2,500?” So, I don't think Protect My Car is a good extended warranty.

Protect My Car response

Our apologies if you found your customer experience with Protect My Car to be unsatisfactory, as we strive to provide the best service in the industry and we are happy to respond to your comments. We take pride in the services we offer, which assist in preventing high cost car repairs, or assists with the cost of needed repairs. We rely on the repair facility and the customer to be as truthful and transparent as Protect My Car is, because the cost of having EVERY vehicle repair in the nation confirmed by an inspector would cause an additional cost to each customer. We protect our customers by ensuring that every part that is repaired has its own warranty. We also get confirmation from each facility that their work is guaranteed, so if there is an issue with a specific facility, while we are unable to get fully involved, we are able to provide you with anything needed to take further actions against that facility. We did exactly what this coverage is meant to do, and if you would like more information, please contact our Customer Loyalty Department for further assistance. We thank you for still being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I did a claim for the back parking lights that were not working. The car was in the shop for a day and there was no problem with Protect My Car.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking time to provide comments on your experience with Protect My Car. Those were very kind words, and we appreciate them very much. We take pride in working hard to provide our customers the best possible service. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We appreciate your business.

Protect My Car Company Information