Protect My Car
3.36/5

Protect My Car

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Protect My Car provides mechanical breakdown and maintenance coverage for your vehicle by offering both maintenance plans and extended auto warranties. Maintenance plans cover oil changes, tire rotations, and up to 50% off on mechanical repair costs. Extended auto warranty plans cover vehicles up to ten years old or newer that have up to 125,000 miles – keeping your vehicle covered far beyond your manufacturer's warranty plan.

Extended auto warranty plans cover labor and parts cost of your mechanical failures and all repairs are paid with our corporate credit card account, so your only out-of-pocket expense is a $100 deductible. All extended auto warranty plans include 24/7 Roadside Assistance, which can be used for tow services when your vehicle breaks down or runs out of gas. They will also reimburse rental car expenses if the labor time for your repairs takes longer than 4 hours.

Call today for more information on the Ambassador maintenance plans. Claims adjusters help you every step of the way with a hassle-free claims process. Call today for a free, no-obligation quote.

Customers set up their contract using the no-fee payment plan. Small monthly payments can be made for as long as 24 to 42 months, making coverage affordable for everyone. With our no-fee payment plan, the cost for coverage is less than $2 per day.

Call today and activate your policy with as little as $99 down. All customers have a full 30-day money back guarantee.

Protect My Car LLC Video
Protect My Car LLC Gallery (1)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Protect My Car allows a long 60-month repayment plan. Although their Ambassador plan only offers partial coverage, Protect My Car’s other plans satisfy a wide array of needs.

PROS

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Longest repayment period

CONS

• Not offered in all states
  • One plan offers only partial coverage

Top Protect My Car Reviews

10/18/2018

I also like the number of items covered by Protect My Car, more significantly the cost per month I have set up with them, the overall contract duration and total financing that I’m working at with them over a four-year period.

12/23/2018

Protect My Car had answers. It was just a better experience. It was easier to do business with them ... and the person I dealt with was very knowledgeable. He was very helpful in helping me weigh the pros and cons. Plus it wasn’t a high-pressure type of sale. It was more of a relaxed conversation.

What is Protect My Car?

Protect My Car is an extended auto warranties broker. They offer options to repay an extended auto warranty plan over 36 or 60 months. Down payments start as low as $99, and Protect My Car estimates most plans cost about $2 a day. Three plans offer everything from basic to bumper-to-bumper coverage, and a plan specially designed for aging cars lets customers save on repairs.

Protect My Car payment

You can request a free quote online from Protect My Car. Down payments come as low as $99, meaning it only costs about $100 to activate your plan. A 30-day money back guarantee, standard among extended auto warranty companies, allows you to cancel your plan in the first 30 days if you haven’t made a claim. This is helpful in case you decide that an extended auto warranty isn’t right for you.

The actual Protect My Car cost comes out to less than $2 a day. The deductible for most of your car repairs will be around $100 with Protect My Car.

Protect My Car offers two repayment period options: 36 months or 60 months. The 60-month payment period is among the longest you will find. Many Protect My Car reviews praise this flexibility in payment. This makes even pricier extended auto warranty plans much easier to repay.

Protect My Car plans

Protect My Car offers three traditional plans in addition to a plan specially designed for older cars, where just a portion of repairs is covered. These three plans are called the Driveline, Select and Supreme plans:

• The Driveline plan is designed for vehicles with high mileage. It covers electrical systems, fuel systems, drive axles, transmission and the engine.
  • The Select plan offers everything the Driveline plan offers, plus coverage for the ABS master cylinder, temperature control, brake system and heating and cooling systems.
  • The Supreme plan covers everything covered in the Select plan, plus coverage for front and rear suspension and steering components. This is the closest thing Protect My Car has to a bumper-to-bumper extended auto warranty.

The plan tailored toward older cars is called the Ambassador plan. It is a little different from the above plans. It is specifically designed for cars with over 150,000 miles. There are no mileage or age restrictions. This plan does not fully cover the cost of repairs. Instead, it covers a portion of costs, saving customers 25 percent on average for repairs.

ServiceDrivelineSelectSupreme
ABS master cylinder
Steering components
Front and rear suspension

Protect My Car coverage

Protect My Car coverage is limited to cars under 150,000 miles and less than 10 years old. Protect My Car contracts range from 3–5 years in length and are generally transferrable. The liability limit on a Protect My Car extended warranty is a flat rate instead of being based on the value of the car.

Protect My Car roadside assistance comes with all of Protect My Car’s main plans and is available 24/7. This includes fuel delivery, tire changes, tow services, vehicle lockout services and emergency jump starts. If your car’s in the shop for repairs, Protect My Car will provide up to $30 a day for up to seven days in rental car reimbursements. Those with an Ambassador plan can receive rental car reimbursements of up to $90, or three days at $30 each.

You’ll have to wait 30 days after your contract is signed and drive 1,000 miles before Protect My Car will accept claims. Protect My Car customer service is available 24/7. Protect My Car, unfortunately, is not able to protect cars in California, Florida, New York, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma or Washington.

Is Protect My Car worth it?

Protect My Car is a good option for extended auto warranties. Even if the extended auto warranty for your specific car isn’t the cheapest option available, Protect My Car allows 60 months to pay it off. The Driveline, Select and Supreme plans offer a wide variety of coverage that will please most customers. The Ambassador plan appeals to those with older cars or cars with high mileage because there are no limits based on mileage or age. Protect My Car warranty reviews also praise the low down payments. Overall, Protect My Car is a good choice for customers looking for a dependable extended auto warranty.

2286 Protect My Car Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Since I only run vehicles that are over 10 years old, not too many people would provide extended warranty. A lot of other companies wouldn’t touch that. But Protect My Car's package was nice. Their rep was really nice. He understood that I run older vehicles because it’s mostly cost-effective for a farming business that I’m in. And it seems like so many people want nothing to do with the vehicles as soon as they get to be five or 10 years old.

However, it didn’t exactly work out the way that I thought it would’ve. When I did a claim for my truck, they asked my shop to have a higher rate than what their actual rate is, which was really odd. And even the markup on the parts was way higher than what the normally marked-up parts. So, I ended up paying more out of my pocket than what it would cost me to have the shop do it for me and that really wasn’t a good deal on my part. I just decided to part ways with them and just keep some things the way I normally do it.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your providing them. Just to clear up your question, we are happy to approve upgraded parts upon the customer's request. All we ask is that the customer pay the difference in that cost. That's why the final invoice was higher than the shops original estimate that included only the standard parts.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

ProtectMyCar contacted me and at that time, I needed help in fixing my car so I said, “Yes.” Their reps were knowledgeable and when I submitted a claim to them, the process went really quickly. Once I got the car to the shop, they processed it within two days. I had to contact them a couple of times with a roadside assistance and with fixing my engine. I needed an engine replacement and they paid a certain amount and I paid a certain amount. It was a big amount but I understood.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that very much. We are very pleased to have helped you with the recent repairs and road side assistance and we look forward to helping you in the future when you need help.
Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is any thing we can do to help out.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Getting a warranty from Protect My Car was a good deal. Their rep did a good sale. I filed a claim for my sensors and the process went fine. However, I had an additional problem with my car, and I didn’t use my warranty because it was a little bit too difficult to use it. I didn’t know what the problem was with my vehicle, and it took a while for them to determine what it was. They ended up changing all my sensors in my vehicle, and I ended up paying for it.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We were surprised that you chose not to have the shop you used file a claim for the second repair. The first repair saved you over $1,600 (more than twice the premiums paid on the coverage).

In any event, thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We look forward to helping you again when you need the help.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Rude, terrible sales people. When they called and I politely informed the slow talking gabbing salesman that I needed to leave for work in a few minutes and I rather do this online, he hung up on me. When I filled out the form for info, I really did not want a phone call in the first place.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We regret that we inconvenienced you with the phone call you requested. Once you let the agent know that you had no interest in pursuing your request, he ended the call. We apologize if you felt he did so abruptly.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had one outfit that I had insurance on and when my car went down, the mechanic was gonna put in a Guarantee motor that was rebuilt and had the warranties. If it ever broke down, Protect My Car would be responsible for the rest of whatever happened to the engine. They would take care of it, but no more money was coming out of my pocket. Their mechanic talked to them and they said it was a go, and I paid out $3,500. The mechanic called me and said that Protect My Car didn't wanna pay for a rebuilt motor and that they wanted to send me a used motor.

I said that I already gave them 3,500 and they were supposed to pay the other 3,500. He said that he can get me a motor there and I could drop in my car for $1,500. So, out of the 3,500 that I gave Protect My Car, they were gonna keep the rest. They were gonna pocket the money and give me a used motor that would have gone out in a few months or a year, then I would have to go through the same thing again. When I found that out, I canceled it and I had to go round and round to get my money back.

I called the state attorney in Arizona and had them talk to Protect My Car and they sent me my money back real quick. I was very dissatisfied with Protect My Car and I don't wanna deal with any of that company anymore. I also have the documents where I was on there for about a year and I had that canceled too. They said that I could cancel within 90 days. I was with them for less than 60 days, but they never refunded me and I lost my money that I put in and a couple of months that they should have sent me the check back or put the money back in my card. I should have read reviews from consumeraffairs.com before when I got the contract with them. I've read the BBB comments and there are more people out there that got it worse than I did. They didn't get their money back, but at least I got mine.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments.
As you may recall, the shop you chose to use wanted to use a used rebuilt motor of their choosing rather than the one we were able to provide. Since you decided to use the shops motor, we refunded the payment that same day to your account.

Thanks again for your comments.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car LLC?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Protect My Car has good customer service. They listen to everything you've got to say. A few months after I took the warranty and made the payments, my car broke down and the problem I had was I was always on the highway when that happened. I needed a ride after my vehicle broke down and Protect My Car said they were sending tow people. But they left me out there on the side of the road for hours in the wintertime blizzard.

It would be Christmas season and you're going to visit relatives. If you car breaks down, you have to get one of Protect My Car's tow people, only their tow people, and it's gonna take hours. You'll be out there four hours. Then not only that, but you also have to come up with the money to get your car fixed. They were saying that I had to put up the money first for the mechanic work. I had to send them the money then they would put up the rest. It was different than what the contract was saying. It's also nothing like the rest of the places that are doing it. They cover 100% of everything. Protect My Car only covers half. Go to a different company.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. w do regret that it was not possible in a blizzard to get a tow truck out to you any faster. They are subject to those same conditions and it unfortunately took longer than we would have liked to get service to you.
We appreciate your being a customer and we hope that when you compare the benefits and cost of this coverage you'll understand how truly remarkable this coverage is compared to any other plan.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I got ProtectMyCar when I first got my diesel truck. My wife told me it comes with free oil changes. I looked at how much it costs a month versus the oil changes, and I thought it was feasible. Everybody that I have dealt with at ProtectMyCar, has been very polite. The rep has walked me through the process of how you get pre-authorization before you get the work done. I need to have the shop call and get the pre-authorization before they do the work.

However, the last time I went to get my oil changed at the same place I always go to, they had a problem with billing over the phone. I don’t know if the rep was lying, but he said there are some new laws against credit card over the phone. He had a problem with it at first, but then he ended up changing my oil, and he was polite. But the initial person that I had talked to, was about as uninformative as you could get. He also seemed younger, very impatient and very impolite. I didn’t enjoy that conversation at all. But that was the first time I had that problem with ProtectMyCar.

When I had a fuel pump problem it was fixed and I paid half. It was kind of I didn’t know how to do it all yet, so it was a little uncomfortable, but everything worked out. Now, the second time, I had to have a high pressure fuel injection pump put in to the truck and the mechanic was very familiar with how to deal with it. He asked for half and I paid for it. He was waiting for the other payment to come in before he would release the vehicle, and it all happened fairly quickly. I had to pay cash for an oil change because it was on a weekend. ProtectMyCar said if I get a receipt and send it in, they’ll cover it. They totally did very good and I’ve already recommended them many times.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide comments on your experience with Protect My Car. We take pride in exercising good judgment by doing the right thing, not just doing things right.

Thank you once again for your comments. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any thing else we can do for you.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I was at a Meineke and I was getting my car fixed and out of nowhere, I got a call from Protect My Car. They were telling me everything that they could do to help me pay for my fixes and they broke it down in detail pretty well. At the time, my fixes were about 4,500 bucks but it was too late. So, I didn't get to use that advantage of them paying half of it. For another thing that I needed fixed though, their rep told me that when we were done with the fixes, to have the mechanic give him a call and that was exactly what I did. And they paid for half and I just had to pay for the other half.

My truck had continuous problems though and I eventually got rid of it. I also cancelled the warranty and that process wasn't hard at all. I just called Protect My Car and said I no longer wanted it and that was it. Their service was great. I actually gave it to a couple of my friends and they didn't believe me until I showed them that Protect My Car paid for half of it. If I didn't have warranty from the dealership, I'd get Protect My Car back.

Protect My Car response
Those are great comments, and we really do appreciate them. That is especially true since they are coming from a former customer who recognises the value in this protection.
Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. When the time is right for you, we will be here to assist you again.

Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

When my car's warranty was out, Protect My Car seemed to be the right choice to get. I spoke with their reps but then I was promised a lot of stuff on the phone that wasn't everything that I signed up for so I ended up not following through with the warranty. Supposedly everything would be free, including oil changes. The deductible was supposed to have been $50 but it ended up being $200. They didn't cover everything that was insured with the car if I needed to get a repair. One time, I had a claim for my car's ball bearing but they did not cover it so I had to pay for it out of my pocket. I had also kept calling back asking specific questions but they just bounced it around to different people. So if you're gonna get Protect My Car, you have to be real specific on what it is that you needed to call in for repair and make sure it's something that you need for your car. Otherwise, it would just be a waste of time.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them. You gave some good advice. It is important to remember that no coverage, no matter who issues it, will cover 100% of a vehicle. That is why we list each and every covered component in each contract.

Thank you for your comments and thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I got ProtectMyCar to save on repairs on my car when I need it. I've done a claim for a few things already and it was pretty easy. One of the things was for the oil gasket for my car, and they have good service.

Protect My Car response
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission in life to provide great service and needed help to all policy holders. We are very glad the policy, our staff and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I walked through Protect My Car's claims process with my sister and her Lexus. She had to get a transmission and they took care of her 100%, which opted me to put the warranty on the older BMW that I had bought. At that point, the warranty that was already on my car expired. I also did it on my sister's recommendation and the representatives have always been very helpful. They've always made sure that I paid attention to certain things and that I ask questions where I was taking the car to. They pretty much walked me through the whole process and they've always been fair. In fact, when I had a claim, Protect My Car renegotiated some things that they thought BMW overcharged for and sent in parts that they could get cheaper than BMW. So I was very satisfied.

When I hit a tire with the BMW last Thanksgiving, Protect My Car sent someone out to pick it. They had it towed, put me in a rental and set up the whole process of getting it fixed in a different town. So the claim was very easy to do and everybody was very helpful. In terms of Protect My Car, it was almost a stress-free experience. My family's spaced out and I travel a lot. But I have no worries in terms of putting something on the road and driving because I know that if something happens, Protect My Car is gonna take care of it. So I don't stress about it. If the car breaks down, what're you gonna do? Just pull over and call Protect My Car.

Since getting the warranty, I've bought another car and given the BMW to my mom. We continued the service with her and I've always had pleasant experiences with it. My sister has always had a great experience with them too. My father also has Protect My Car on his truck. So my whole family uses Protect My Car and I've heard nothing but good things from them as well. Protect My Car has always taken care of all of us so I'm really pleased.

Protect My Car response
Thank you very much for those comments. We have shared them with our various departments to let them know how much their hard work really helps our customers.
We are very glad you and your family chose Protect My Car. With great rates, towing, maintenance and repairs covered, not to mention rental car reimbursement, it just makes sense to get some protection before you vehicle breaks down and leaves you stranded on the side of road.

Thanks for your comments

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I purchased ProtectMyCar because of the age and the mileage of the used vehicle we bought. Everything was signed, sealed, and delivered during the purchase of the warranty. We put in a claim for the car's motor. We had already paid before we found out that we were supposed to send the money to them. He paid the mechanic, and the mechanic verified that he had paid him, and ProtectMyCar still wouldn’t honor it. They just told me they couldn’t do anything about him already paid, and if he didn’t send his part to them, then the claim was gonna be null and void. We didn’t have any more money to put out, so the motor didn’t get repaired by them. But any other actions that I have encountered with them has been pleasant.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We do regret that we were unable to help you with the engine repair. As with most coverage plans, no matter which company it is, coverage is for breakdowns that occur after the coverage is issued, and usually does not cover pre-existing conditions.

Thank you for your comments and for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

The rep at ProtectMyCar knew the program real good and they made me the best offer for what I was trying to insure. They were professional. I got the best price as well because at that time I had two vehicles. I had a claim when my transmission went out and it was fixed. I had to take it to the dealer and the person who was gonna fix it, went out and checked it out and found that I really needed a transmission. They went on and bought the parts. I had to pay $100, which was what they told me. It took about three weeks but they took care of everything. I was assured that they were gonna fix it, because I had the contract and they honored everything that they had offered.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that very much. We are very pleased to have helped you with the recent repair and we look forward to helping you in the future when you need help.
Repairs like yours are almost always unexpected. Having the coverage take care of the repair protects your wallet, your car and your peace of mind. That is what it is all about.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I'm real happy with the warranty because the parts are expensive for a BMW. I put my car in the shop before and they paid half. I paid my half and it was all done. Plus if I need a tow truck, it's not out of pocket. Protect My Car would come pick the car up. They go through on what they say they're gonna do, and it's only $50. They're cheap and I tell everybody about Protect My Car. You can't beat it. The only thing I did have problems with is that when I tried to take the car for an oil change, everybody I took it to was saying that they don't accept the warranty. I got so frustrated that I went ahead and paid out of my pocket. I was told to save the receipt and send it back for Protect My Car to reimburse me. But I don't have time to even do that.

Still, the people at Protect My Car have tried to guide me through everything. I had called them before and they told me what to show and say. They even gave me my policy number, which is I guess a number you usually give to the shop. I've done what they said that but the shops say they don't accept that. The people at Protect My Car even said that I could call them when I get to the shop and they could tell it to the shop. They were also real good when I was getting enrolled. They answered all my questions and they've tried to work with me. One time, I wanted to drop the warranty because I couldn't afford it. They told me they would change my day of pay and they did.

Thank you for those great comments. We appreciate them very much.
We do work hard to make sure your experience with Protect my Car is a positive one and that the whole process, from choosing the right coverage, to making sure it is comfortable on your budget, to fast and efficient claims service, towing and rental car benefits, gives you great peace of mind.
We do regret that some shops do not want a professional adjuster looking over their shoulder to make sure things are done right. That is a big tip off to find another shop. We do reimburse you the cost of the oil change and will be in touch to get that done. Its the right thing to do.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Two different quotes from different dealerships for the same three issues that were supposed to covered under warranty, from a sensor to my transmission. ALL 3 issues denied. My dealership said that PMC approves less than 20% of claims. CANCEL TODAY!

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We do understand how frustrating a non-covered repair can be. That is why we list each and every covered component in each contract so you can easily see what components are covered.
Although sensors are not covered components, the transmission is covered, as is the engine, A/C, drive axle, suspension, brake system, electrical system and a host of other components.
With over 14 million in paid claims this year alone, we doubt that the service department you spoke with can realistically back up their statement of our approval rate.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

ProtectMyCar took money off my card and I haven't received it back yet. When I got their warranty, they didn't tell me my car wouldn't be fully covered and that they would only take pieces of it. Because of that, I had to cancel and four months later, they took almost $300 off my account. Their customer service kept trying to tell me I used their service and that's why they took the money out. I told them that taking the money out was unauthorized and that they needed to return the money to me. They responded by saying that they don't owe me a refund.

I then tried to ask their guy who their registered agent was so I could file a civil suit. He then said that I could send it to Mepco or ProtectMyCar and that he didn't really care whom I would send it to. I’m in the process of taking them to court to get my money back. They committed fraud by using my card without my permission.

Protect My Car response
We appreciate your providing your comments. We do keep a recording of all payment authorizations and strictly follow all federal and state banking rules and regulations for our protection and the protection of our customers.
Over the six months you had the coverage billing occurred with your express approval on the cc you provided to us. It was terminated immediately upon your request.
During that six month period you paid in $450 in premiums and saved over $900 in repair costs for which you filed claims. That's twice the cost of the coverage you paid.

We are glad that the coverage worked so well for you.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I emailed Protect My Car for a promotion they were having on my vehicle for that mileage and then talked personally to them and decided to go with it. They took care of some front end problems, a water pump problem, an electrical problem, and even a totaled alternator. The mechanic just called, they had the parts and Protect My Car paid half. I loved everything they did for me. Protect My Car is a lifesaver and it has paid itself off. Go with it. In fact, my fiance has a 2006 GMC Envoy and if another promotion comes up where they would take this high mileage vehicle, I already considered adding it to my account.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide comments on your experience with Protect My Car. Those were very kind words and we appreciate them very much. We take pride in exercising good judgment by doing the right thing, not just doing things right.

Thank you, too, for referring folks to us. We will treat them with just as much respect as we do you. Remember, if you referred someone to us who now has a policy we say thank you with a Visa gift card. Please let us know who you have referred so we can thank you this way.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My vehicle is getting pretty old and my other contract expired. I called Protect My Car and talked to them about what they did, what type of service they would offer, what they'd cover and didn't cover, and I was impressed. I went ahead and signed up with them. My monthly payments were affordable and they'd take it out like they were supposed to. Eventually, I had to use them. I was able to get the mechanic the information about the particular company and the 800 number. He took care of the claim from there. The mechanic told Protect My Car how much it was gonna cost to fix. I had to wait a while in order for the mechanic to get back and forth, and they talked about what needed to be done. It was covered and I had no problems. Protect My Car was excellent and came through for me with flying colors, that's why I'm still with them now. The cost was pretty fair and I didn't think that the amount was above and beyond what other companies charge.

Thank you for those great comments. We appreciate them very much.
Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Thanks again for your comments and thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

The price of ProtectMyCar was reasonable and I like the deductible. I had to pay 275 or 250 and that was a decent price. Their customer service people were helpful as well. They all bear with me when I was struggling. If you got problems or if you cannot pay, they give you a break. They’re a very reputable company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I've used Protect My Car once and it was okay. We had a transmission issue in my car and I took it to the dealer. They used the warranty and Protect My Car paid for half. However, the transaction didn't go smoothly. When I initially called, it took them a long time to respond to me and to process the transaction. I also had to give them the card number twice and they had to give me their card number twice. They are worth the money, but their rates are a bit high. I was thinking about canceling the contract with them.

Protect My Car response
Thanks for those comments. We appreciate your taking your time to provide them. You are right, too. When that first big expensive repair happens, and Protect My Car takes care of it for you that is when you know you made a wise choice to protect yourself and your budget.

Thank you again for those comments.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Protect My Car approved a motor and said I had a motor that I could put in a truck. I ordered the motor, got it in, got everything done, and then they told me I gotta send them this amount of money and then they'll send it back to me. I'm a mechanic for a living and deal with at-the-market warranty. If the bill is $1,000, and it gets approved, the warranty provider sends us the $500 and the customer is liable for the other $500. But with Protect My Car, if my bill was $1,000, they'd want me to send them $500 and then they'd turn around and send the $1,000 for the bill. That sounded like nothing but a gimmick. It was horrible and it was a way for them to screw me.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. You should know that vehicles such as yours, well over 10 years old with more than 250,000 miles on it, simply do not qualify for coverage with most companies.
Ambassador policies, however, provide older, high mileage vehicles a wide variety of benefits including free oil changes, tire rotations and a 50% reduction in repair costs. The best part is, the monthly premium is very reasonable for folks on a budget. We hope that on reflection you will understand that saving $500 on a $1,000 repair, for about a $50 per month premium, is well worth it. In other words, if saving you ten months of premiums on just one repair is a gimmick, it's one that's hard to pass up.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I knew I was gonna need some repairs for my vehicle and with a service contract, I would not have to pay out so much out of pocket. A while back I was with a different company for a different car. The other company pays the claim off, but with Protect My Car I have to pay off half and they pay the other half. Nevertheless, the interactions with their reps have been okay. I've also used their towing service and they were prompt. I've used them once before to open my car, too. After I paid my part, they approved my claim and fixed my vehicle up.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. Unlike most companies that refuse to cover older high mileage vehicles, we provide coverage that lowers repair costs by half, and provide towing, road side assistance and rental car reimbursement at no additional cost.
Just to let you know, this coverge has already saved you over $2,100. That is more than three times the premiums you've paid to date. That's how you know you chose the right coverage.

We are very glad you chose Protect My Car to protect your car, your budget and your peace of mind.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

The original warranty for the car had run out and I wanted to extend it, although I didn't need the protection as the car was in top shape and I didn't use it that much. The things ProtectMyCar was saying seemed to be pretty good. Everything was good with the people who I've dealt with and gave me the service too. They were very kind and they helped me understand everything. The whole set up was just perfect.

Then, when I put a new stereo in the car that made the computer system shut down on me, I filed a claim over the phone and their customer service reps were great. They told me what to do. However, the problem was never fixed. I got the car back, and somebody has been going to my house and trying to get the same fixed all over again. So, I just dropped the protection. Other than that, everything was fine with ProtectMyCar.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for those comments. We are very glad you chose Protect My Car. With great rates, towing, maintenance and repairs covered, not to mention rental car reimbursement, it just makes sense to get some protection before you vehicle breaks down and leaves you stranded on the side of road.
When the time is right for you, we will be here to help you again.

Thanks for your comments and for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

The rep of ProtectMyCar was really nice the first time when he called me. I told him that I wanted to think about it and I would call him back. He said it was a super deal and to not let it go. He transferred the phone to his supervisor, and the supervisor gave me his name, his phone number and after that, if there was anything, I get to call him. ProtectMyCar was really good. I used them three times in a really short period of time

The first time the monitor inside the car started to give me messages - flat tire and every electrical message that the car had, were popping up. I called BMW and they gave me an appointment. I told them about this company, and they said, "Well, okay, we can call them, but please call them and give them a heads-up." So I called them and once I talked to the dealership and to the warranty company, I really didn't have to call anybody to keep them in sync because they started communicating with each other. The back computer of my BMW got flooded. The electrical was so much work and then I found out that I could call the insurance company and they were fantastic.

They give you an estimate. But when the bill comes out, they want you to give them a credit card. They'll take half or whatever is your deductible off your card and then they'll pay directly to the dealership so no runaround and no hassle. They answer the phone right away. Within 10 minutes, it is guaranteed they will call back. When I called them and told them the issue was going on again for the fourth time the rep was like okay and they would let us know and would keep in touch. I thought they were gonna say, "Oh my God, lady, you know what, you have not paid tenth of what we already spend on you," but no. They were super cool the whole time.

Protect My Car response
We cannot thank you enough for the great comments. It really means a lot to us all to know our efforts are really helping give our policy holders good peace of mind.
We were glad to give you the help you needed with your repairs and we stand ready to do so again when the need arises. What will never change is our willingness to go the extra mile to help you when you need it.

As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you again for your very encouraging comments.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was in need of an oil change and one of the services ProtectMyCar offered was an oil change. I started out and then I ended up needing them for real for but then they tried to bill me twice. I can never get a hold of them to get someone who will cancel. Somebody actually laughed at my face and said, "I'm not gonna cancel your policy," and hung up on me. I have a witness to this. I've been trying to cancel with them for a long time, but they haven't withdrawn any money from my account so I haven't been worried about it at this point.

You can't get a hold of somebody on a line, or they have to say they can't do that and they have to get their supervisors to do that, and then you wait forever for their supervisor. If you do get to the department that you need to get to to cancel, they take it personally and now, they're making it so shady that I don't want to deal with them. They got to let somebody cancel, and they certainly can't laugh in my face when I say I'm gonna cancel. I started the process probably in November, and I finally got a hold of somebody in January, but to no avail. They have not confirmed cancelling my account. They are legitimate and they will pay for things, like your car and it might or might not work out. You would never know.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We regret that you feel the service we provide did not benefit you. Based on the claims filed and paid, it looks like you saved almost $2,000, while the premiums you paid in were less than $150. Not a bad trade off.
We did listen to all the calls and could not find any agent who gave you less than the utmost respect, That is very important to us.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Protect My Car sounded good. I pay $45 a month, and they pay half. The reps are fairly friendly but I don't like the fact that their man gives me a price at the dealership, and I send Protect My Car half the money, then they get my car fixed for a cheaper price, but they're not giving me my part of the money back to make the half. So as far as I'm concerned, that's a little fraud. When I make a claim, I take my car to whoever's gonna fix it, and they give me a price. They call Protect My Car and tell them what it's gonna cost to fix it. And then, Protect My Car will tell me that I need to give half. And the biggest problem is I have to wait until they come out and inspect whatever it is that needs to be done to the car. I have one car and I drive Uber, so it's my livelihood. So Protect My Car takes as much time as they want to come out, when in fact, I could get my car fixed in two or three days if they would come out.

Protect My Car is supposed to pay $45 a day for a rental, and I got a $2,000 deal. I just never submitted. I don't even need to rent a car if they would just come on out and check the damage and give the repair place the okay to fix it. But there's too much politicking going on behind the scenes because they are trying to cut their costs by telling the repair place, "Okay, well, this can be fixed with this amount," and there's an argument, and my car is tied up. There was a case before where the guy had already broke my engine down. So, I couldn't just tell him to give me my car back.

I would not recommend Protect My Car to friends. The half part is fine, but they take so long to come out and check the car, and say, "Let's get this done." Then, they got to negotiate back and forth with whoever is fixing the car. And I don't think any of that is part of the deal, that makes no sense to me. They should speed up their time and stop with the negotiation part. I'm paying my money every month, and I got a $2,000 bill that I had to pay to rent a car because they held off for so long. And then, they tell me that it's $45 a day towards the rental for one week. That's ridiculous. My intention was to just drop the warranty. But the guy did a decent job on my car, so I just left it as it was.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to explain the coverage in greater detail.
Your plan guarantees a 50% reduction in mechanical repair costs, pays for recommended oil changes, provides towing, rental car reimbursement and other benefits.
The 50% reduction in repair costs includes lower parts costs, lower labor rates and cash payments to make up any difference to meet the guarantee.

To put it in perspective, you have paid in around $700 in premiums and have already saved three times that much, over $2,850. We are glad the coverage is working so well for you and we thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

The first guy who I talked to at ProtectMyCar was very friendly. He handled things in a good manner and getting me signed up. But once I got signed up, there was no communication. The only part of anything that I got was a booklet to tell me everything that I needed to know. Nobody else came back and explained anything to me. I also didn’t like the way they worked. I had an engine issue with one of my BMWs. I filled out a paper at the mechanic shop and ProtectMyCar communicated with the mechanic. From there, I was given some paperwork to fill out, which I did.

I got a phone call from them telling me that they needed to withdraw the money from my account for the repair, and then they can pay the mechanic. ProtectMyCar wanted me to pay for the whole repair. From there, they will reimburse my part, and they will pay for the other half. The problem was, if I could afford to pay for the whole repair from the beginning, I would never have needed them and I would just pay for it. I also had another problem with the transmission. After that, they would no longer put a policy on there.

They could improve the way they handle their process and the way that they do the repairs. If they’re gonna pay for the repair, even if they’re paying their half of the repair, I shouldn’t have to pay for the whole thing, and then they turn around and send me back the money that I spent for my portion of it. Everybody else kept telling me that they didn’t wanna deal with the BMW because the BMW had issues. Now, they would have a choice on what they were covering, who they were gonna cover and what they weren’t gonna cover. I was told they would cover everything but in the end, they didn't because it was a BMW. They told me that they couldn’t guarantee any of my electrical switches, windows and doors. There are a lot of little loopholes. I got frustrated with ProtectMyCar, and after that, I just left them alone.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We should clear up one point. Your coverage reduces repair costs by 50%. What we ask is that you pay only your 50% of the final invoice, not the entire bill. That's why you saved $1,221.00 on your last repair that cost $2,442.00. Having paid only $320.00 in premiums, that says a lot about how well the coverage worked for you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I purchased a used vehicle and got ProtectMyCar. Their rep was nice. But when I called them for a claim I had to pay a high deductible, so I changed to a different company.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. Thank you, too, for trying our our coverage. We do hope you found coverage that you feel meets your needs.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have a BMW and the prices are typically higher when I have any kind of maintenance work on the car. Protect My Car seem to provide something, where out of the ordinary things that might happen to the car 'cause they cover it. The first plan I had was not the current plan. At first, working with them was difficult and getting approvals took a long time. They would say they would get the part at a better price, but it would be like a Chinese part and it wouldn't be a good part. My mechanic said he can’t warranty something that’s not good quality so I had to go back and forth with them a lot on things 'cause they would go get something cheap and I didn’t like that approach. My mechanic is typically a German car specialist, and he knew what the car should have.

Finally, when I bought up on the policy and paying more money, they allowed me to have a little bit more coverage and it has improved since I did that. The credit card would be sent to the mechanic and have it paid. And then when I needed to use them for a tow situation when my car stalled at one point, it was fine at first. But the one time I didn’t like was when I contacted them in time but my car started again and they still charged me for a tow that didn’t occur. It bothered me, but so far I’m still with them and I’m gonna stick with them on how things go.

I also talk to their customer service since it was difficult to get to who the real decision-maker a lot of times, but they send me over to somebody else in whatever department and I get the runaround. They need to be clearer about who handles what and assign to me a particular account. I still feel that there is some improvement they need to do. Other than that, I’m glad that Protect My Car is able to get their credit card to the mechanic. If the company needs to keep the car longer than 24 hours, they provide that. I haven’t used it yet but it's a good thing that they have it and I wish that they honor those kinds of things.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. It is very important to everyone here at Protect My Car that we provide the most professional service possible. We want to end each day knowing we have helped a lot of people with vehicle problems that could have ruined not just their day but their budget for months to come. It means a lot to get comments from our policyholders that let us know we are doing just that and how we can improve our service.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I wanna protect my car because it's getting old. It’s getting to a 120,000. ProtectMyCar called me and their reps were nice, except that they are really not accurate about the timing of the refund. They just collected money from me and I didn’t get any paperwork. I felt that it was a scam, because I didn’t get any follow-up with anybody. I kept calling them, and it took six calls to get my money back after I cancelled.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for providing your comments. Frankly, we were very surprised at your comments. The contract and receipts were emailed to you and you could have received additional copies upon request.
Over the three months you had the coverage you saved over $1,400 in repair costs, while having paid only $200 in premiums. Hardly a scam when you can save that much money in so short a time. We even discounted the cost of the coverage by an additional $350 to accommodate your budget. Nevertheless, we do regret that you feel the coverage was not worth it and chose to cancel after your repairs were completed.

Protect My Car Company Information