3.8/5 (231 reviews)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service contract provider that states its goal is to “change the game” with advisors who place the customer first and help minimize uncertainty from unexpected costly repairs. The company aims to provide a hassle-free claims process and ongoing customer service.

Pros

• All services provided by Protect My Car employees
    • In-house claims process for smoother experience
    • Free oil changes and tire rotations with all policies

Cons

• Does not cover preexisting conditions
    • Not available in AK, CA, HI, MO, OK or WA

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 20 years old with up to 200,000 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: July 1, 2022

When I signed up, I asked questions and the rep answered them. I'm satisfied with Protect My Car and people should look into it. The payments are automatically coming out of my account, which is the easiest way for me.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I had Protect My Car with the truck I had before and before I needed work done, they were taking my money every month. As soon as it broke down and I needed work done to my car, there was a big problem. Now, things don’t seem to get fixed at an orderly fashion. There were too many things getting asked and I was faithfully paying every month. I shouldn’t have gone through that. They covered one thing, which was what made e stay with them. Then, I got another car after that and they did not want to cover that because it was a big job. It was a transmission job. So, I cancelled and went somewhere else. I will never recommend anyone to go to Protect My Car.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Protect My Car. While we understand your frustrations, we do abide by industry-standard coverage requirements. As we do with every major claim, we requested service records and an inspection of the needed repairs, for both vehicles. With your first vehicle, we were able to approve your repairs; however, with the second vehicle, there were issues that even you did not know of before you purchased that vehicle. Protect My Car determined that we could not approve that claim due to those extenuating circumstances, and we apologize for that inconvenience. We regret that we were unable to keep your valued business, but please don't hesitate to contact Loyalty if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: July 1, 2022

The rep was professional. He was trying to sell a product and did a great job but what Protect My Car sold was not what I got. They said I would get so many free oil changes. They said I could go anywhere that I chose. I went to three different oil change places and they said that they don't deal with Protect My Car because they never get paid. Making the payments for the coverage is not difficult at all but if you want to cancel it, you can’t. You got to write a letter and they wouldn't do anything until after they receive the letter. They want the mileage on your vehicle. I tried to call them because I have a billing situation and nobody will answer the phone. So, I'm not happy with them. You shouldn't have to do that if you don't like the service. It was a good experience until I got further into the thing and I saw all the pitfalls.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your concerns with Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that our call volume has recently exceeded expectations, and we are in the process of incorporating many changes to manage our call hold times. Also, we are delighted that you were able to speak with Melodi and get a more favorable resolution regarding the oil change issue. We thank you for choosing Protect My Car, and we will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

The reps at Protect My Car were excellent. They explained to me better than the other folks did and they let me know exactly how it was with the service that I'm getting. I was told exactly what I needed to know.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Protect My Car had the better reputation. So, I picked them. The only experience I had was they gave me a free oil change. And I appreciated that. It went good. But it took a long time getting through to Protect My Car. The dealership asked me, “Will I hold on the phone for you guys?” Because they were waiting and waiting. So, the process was a little slow. The agent was nice to me when he got through, but it took a little longer than it should have. When we were finally able to get through, everything came out all right. Customer service was good.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your concerns with Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that our call volume has recently exceeded expectations, and we are in the process of incorporating many changes to manage our call hold times. We are delighted that you were able to speak with Melodi and provide additional feedback. We thank you for choosing Protect My Car, and we will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I found out from my Toyota dealership that I don't have bumper-to-bumper. And I haven’t been able to get ahold of anyone from Protect My Car. They should get my policy in writing, not email.

Protect My Car response

Protect My Car management team takes all such statements seriously, and we understand your frustrations. We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding what is covered under your policy. We would be very happy to review your coverage, and can also mail a hard copy of your policy documents, but we do not have an address on file for you. Please call Customer Loyalty for further assistance. We will work hard to ensure we meet and exceed your expectations, and we appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Protect My Car did very well. I got the best price and I appreciated the way they handled everything.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I used Protect My Car one time and it took me to a couple of places but I ended up taking it to my mechanic. He said it wasn't anything too serious. When I called, the lady gave me three places I could’ve taken it. The customer service has been okay. I have a claim now that I need to make with another issue that I’m having but I possibly need to take it to a Mazda dealer.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your experience with Protect My Car. We apologize for any inconvenience and urge you to take your vehicle where you are the most comfortable. We only ask that the shop agrees to take a credit card over the phone. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

When I signed up for Protect My Car, it sounded like a good deal at the time. I thought I needed it. But as time goes by, as long as you got it and you don't use, and I haven't used it yet, you tend to wonder if you really need it. I’m paying out a certain amount of money every month and I'm on a fixed income.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are always concerned that the cost of the coverage remains affordable for all our customers. Most of our customers are on a budget, and when you have a breakdown, the amount you save may actually exceed what you spent on the coverage plan. There are many options, and a specialist attempted to contact you but could only leave a voicemail message. So please contact Customer Loyalty and ask for your specialist to contact you regarding your options. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: June 24, 2022

My review for this company is mixed good/bad. First off… I have not once called Protect My Car and had to wait any less than 1-2 HOURS to speak with an agent. This is in itself absolutely unacceptable practice for any company and when it happens consistently week after week, it is NOT an anomaly that can be attributed to “unusually high call volume”, it represents company wide negligence and mismanagement. Full stop.

Secondly, when I was making a claim I had a shocking experience with one of their claim adjusters, “Kyle”, who attempted to deny my claim on the grounds that he knew more about the repair necessary on my car, then the certified fleet mechanic that was inspecting and repairing my vehicle (there are so many things wrong with this that I can’t get into discussion here).

Lastly however, was my experience with one of their supervisors “Jason **” who kindly and respectfully explained the details of my policy. He was very knowledgeable about the product, he treated me like a valued customer, and helped me to gather the information that I needed to allow Protect My Car to help me and honor their contract. If it weren’t for him, and especially after my terrible experience with Kyle, I would have canceled my policy. Because of Jason however, I’m hopeful to continue a good relationship with this company. That being said, my patience for waiting on hold for hours to speak to an agent is only going to last for so long.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your concerns with Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that our call volume has recently exceeded expectations, and we are in the process of incorporating many changes to manage our call hold times. As for the matter with the claims adjuster Kyle, we have forwarded your review to his management team, who will be taking necessary actions to ensure this does not happen again.

Also, we are delighted that Jason provided you with an outstanding customer experience. He is definitely knowledgeable and respectful, and we couldn’t be happier to have him at Protect My Car.

Original review: June 22, 2022

After speaking with a gentleman about getting Protect My Car, he convinced me that they would cover the things that need to be covered. So, I was kinda impressed. Also, the fact that they do everything in-house instead of going through a third party was a plus as well. I'm very pleased with my coverage. The rep I worked with was very professional and knowledgeable. Any question that I had, he was right on point. He answered to satisfaction.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are delighted that our agents have provided you with outstanding customer experiences. Having a knowledgeable and professional agent who truly cares about your situation and gives you the help you need provides customers with good peace of mind, which is one of our most important goals. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: June 18, 2022

They provide free oil change. Three a year to keep your car in great condition. Also the company is very affordable for my 2005 Cadillac Deville so I would recommend them to consumers with older vehicles.

Protect My Car response

Original review: June 16, 2022

Jason ** was the employee that tended to my call and his phone etiquette was excellent. He was knowledgeable of the company policy and process of my claim. I would like him to be acknowledged for his excellent customer service.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-Star Review! We are delighted that Jason provided you with an outstanding customer experience. Having a knowledgeable and professional agent who truly cares about your situation and gives you the help you need provides customers with good peace of mind, which is one of our most important goals. We have shared a copy of your 5-Star review with Jason and his management team, and we're certain they will all be happy to read this. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: May 26, 2022

We put in a claim for a fuel pump and it was a long wait for the person to get in touch with someone, but once we got ahold of them, it went well. I'm happy so far. I also like the free tire rotation and free oil changes. It saves me some money.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are delighted to have assisted with your recent oil change and apologize for any inconvenience due to our current hold times. We understand it is frustrating to wait but are confident that recently implemented changes will decrease the average hold time for better service. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: May 25, 2022

I purchased my vehicle Aug of 2021. I started with PMC a couple of weeks after I purchase. They signed me up for the supreme contract since my car was only 3 yrs old and only had 43,00 miles (Practically brand new). They have been deducting the fee religiously every month since Sept of 21. Fast forward to now in May of 2022. I needed to get my oil changed and get the regular maintenance check. I made an appointment out of town because I knew it was nearing the time and I figured I get it before getting back on the road home and my service message popped up. I took my car to the dealership on May 18th and while they were doing the regular check they found some other things that needed attention. So the dealership Rep called them and was informed that I was covered but because it was over 3k they would have to send an inspector out. The inspector went out on May 20th.

Here is where everything goes downhill. First, they made up an excuse that they needed all the documents for any service I had done to the car. I informed them that this was literally the first time I have had to have any service done to the car. The dealership made sure everything was either nearly new or new before I drove it off the lot, and when I'm home I sometimes the car sits for days at a time since I work and attend school completely remotely. So the next run around was since I did not have service documents they needed my Bill of sale (I figured that was odd because they did not need it to sign me up with the service) besides that I was out of town. Who carries paperwork like that in their car? So instead I found an inspection report which was done a few days after I purchased the car which in my state my insurance company requires. This report has all my information the description of the car, the VIN #, and the mileage.

Once I sent that I called to check the status and was informed that the report would not suffice and that they needed the bill of sale. So I got the dealership that sold me the car to send me a copy and I immediately sent it to them. I called again to get an update on the status. The Rep put me on hold forever then came back on and said there was a problem. That when they signed me up for the contract I was given the incorrect contract and their system would not allow them to move forward with approving the service 1) because the contract I was under required that I have service documents so since I did not have any the request would be denied then 2) the excuse changed to the contract was wrong for the make and model of my car so they would have to get me signed up under the correct contract which because of the make and model of my car did not cover the parts needing repair. At this time IM LIVID So the contract that I’ve been paying on for the last 9 months was invalid and they would have to get me signed up under the correct contract. So this is the good part.

I told them I wanted nothing else to do with this company and I would be filing a lawsuit against them for FRAUD. If you read the contract carefully there is an arbitration clause that states any contractual disputes have to go through arbitration which is “non-binding” but these folks were so busy trying to get out of honoring the contract that they failed to realize once you deem the contract invalid the terms and conditions are therefore invalid and unenforceable so they just opened themselves up to be sued. And they have to refund me every dime I’ve spent on this now invalid contract. So now they either have to validate the contract and honor it or leave it invalid and be sued.

On top of that, they have been reported to government agencies for fraudulent and dishonest business practices. So I know I'm, not the only one they have tried to get over on. Now under normal circumstances, the arbitration clause protects them from having lawsuits filed against them but it does not protect them from being sued for fraud or being reported to government agencies that can sanction and bind them. DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE GET OVER ON YOU. THEY NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your concerns with Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations; however, Protect My Car does not mislead customers or engage in fraudulent, dishonest, or unethical business practices. We have also responded to your BBB complaint, in detail, and if you would like more information regarding your concerns, please don't hesitate to contact Protect My Car.

Original review: May 25, 2022

The reps helped me and walked me through the process. I was impressed with the way they talked to me, explained stuff and handled things.

Protect My Car response

Original review: May 24, 2022

The amount of miles on my car was 211,000 and nobody else will cover it but Protect My Car. I pay my monthly fee and just go to my dealership for free oil change. Protect My Car helps me every single time I need them. They are outstanding. They keep you informed. If you don't know something, they will make you aware. I was gonna cancel them but they worked with me to get a lower package on my monthly payment. It worked out. I’m satisfied and I won't go with anybody else.

Protect My Car response

Original review: May 23, 2022

So far, I like Protect My Car. I like the fact that I have coverage and I can get things taken care of. They paid for everything that I've needed taken care of with the last time that I took my car for an oil change and tire rotation. I got my car back the same day. Calling and getting in contact with an agent to get the payment taken care of took a minute.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Protect My Car. We apologize for any delays that you may have experienced and are sorry to hear you were disappointed for any reason, especially an oil change. We understand it is frustrating to wait, so we strive to make every transaction hassle-free. Unfortunately, there are times when our call volume is higher than expected, but we are confident that recently implemented changes will decrease the average hold time for better service. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: May 22, 2022

Protect My Car makes sure you’re taken care of and you don't get screwed. They make sure the car dealership is not cheating you on labor. I recommend them to a lot of people. It’s a good warranty. I had an oil change last month and they took care of the payment.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Great service was helped with all the questions I had and right away. Demost ** was the rep that I talked to, he had lots of knowledge and even helped with a couple of websites that would help speed up the process of getting my car back. Still waiting for my car and to know if it's going to get done anytime soon but that isn't in the control of Protect my Car that's on the shop that the car was towed to. Cameron **, a supervisor with the company, has gone above and beyond quite a few times for me and I couldn't be happier that I chose to go with them. Keep up the great work guys! The professionalism that they have shown me is almost like they were trying to get their own cars fixed and because of that, I would definitely recommend my own family and friends who I already have.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for those great comments. We appreciate them very much. Providing our policyholders with good peace of mind is one of our most important goals. We would like to speak with you regarding your referral bonuses; however, our attempts to locate your account with the information provided have been unsuccessful. Without more identifying information, such as a phone number or policy number, we are unable to verify where to send the $100 bonus. Please call Customer Loyalty for further assistance. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I am pleased with Protect My Car. I had to call on them twice since I've had them and they didn't let me down. I had no problems reaching anyone. They gave me information that I needed to give to the car people. When I got there, they were connected with Protect My Car. Protect My Car is there for you when you need them. If something happens, you ain't gonna be stumped. You could pick up the phone and call somebody to help you. That's the thing I like the most about it. They don't make you wait and the people that had come out to help me were so polite. They give it all they got and do what they gotta do. I did not have to wait any longer or need to call. I put my car in the shop and they helped me get it out. I got my car back in a timely manner. I'm getting ready to put it back in there for the air conditioner. That's why I keep them well-paid up.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are delighted that you have had such excellent customer experiences. Having knowledgeable and professional agents who genuinely care about your situation and give you the help you need provides customers with good peace of mind, which is one of our most important goals. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I am enjoying Protect My Car. I chose it over CarShield because I like the payment that Protect My Car has versus them. I'm glad I made the choice that I made. It’s good to have. They allow me oil change so I don’t have to worry about paying that out. I have rotated the tires thru them, too. A while back, my key broke. They called somebody to come out for me. That helped me a lot. The customer service is nice and helpful. I like that too.

Protect My Car response

Original review: May 19, 2022

My first package didn’t cover a lot of stuff I needed to cover and I didn't understand it, so I had to switch. Once I changed it, I had to wait another 30 days before I could get back on it and I was praying and hoping that nothing would happen with my car. Protect My Car has been pretty good since I’ve had them, and I’m comfortable. I didn’t know I had to wait 30 days before I got an oil change, but I got an oil change and tire rotation since then. I called them and they paid on time. I would recommend them, because they paid right then and there.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. Our apologies for any inconvenience regarding your previous policy. We are glad to have found another plan that fit your needs and are thrilled to have assisted with your oil change. We will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I used Protect My Car when I took my car to get my oil changed. They have been paying every time I go get my oil changed.

Original review: May 18, 2022

The representative was very professional and knowledgeable, and once I paid my first payment, it got automatically drafted and I like that. When I got my statement, I said, “Oh, it already came out.” I was glad they took it out because I forgot. Protect My Car is wonderful and I really love it. When I get my car serviced, I don't pay for anything. I don’t have to pay for my oil change, and the last time I had to get a tune-up, I paid $80.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are delighted that our agents have provided you with outstanding customer experiences. A knowledgeable and professional agent who truly cares about your situation and gives the help needed provides customers with good peace of mind, which is one of our most important goals. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I did three oil changes thru Protect My Car. I took my car to the mechanic, told them who I’m with, and Protect My Car took care of it.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Protect My Car tells you one thing when you're getting them, but when something happens, everything changes. They paid for my oil change twice a year, but when it was time for me to get a parking brake malfunction fixed on my car, they said, "It wasn't on our list." They told me when the light came on that they would fix it, but they didn't, so I dropped them. They didn't want me to leave, but I got mad at them. I kept them for three years and they didn't hesitate about taking money from my account each month, but when I really needed them, they weren't there for me. Why keep them if they can't fix what I need fixed?

Protect My Car response

Protect My Car takes all such statements seriously. A thorough review of your account was completed, and we thank you for becoming a valued customer in January 2021. We would like to clarify that we are the most transparent company in the industry, and our agents explained that both a diagnostic and an approved claim were needed for PMC to assist with your rental vehicle. When your shop called in December of 2021 stating that your Emergency Brake Control Module had short-circuited, PMC Claims determined the repair was not covered under your Supreme plan and could not approve the repair. That specific part is not covered under most (if any) VSC plans in the industry, and we apologize for that inconvenience. We regret that we were unable to keep your valued business, but please don't hesitate to contact Loyalty if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: May 16, 2022

It was easy setting Protect My Car up on the phone. Everything was explained. The rep was true to the game. He told me what it was and how it operates including what they cover and what they don’t. When I had my car serviced, they paid for one thing and I paid for $38.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I used Protect My Car to get my oil change and it was paid right then. I also took my truck in to get it repaired. The garage called to get the claim and told Protect My Car what the issue was. They paid the bill right then too. It was no hassle. Try them. Their word is good.

Protect My Car response

Original review: May 15, 2022

Protect My Car gives me three oil changes a year. However, if I need a motor and it will cost $3,000, I still have to come up with 1,500. I wish they would do better with with major components. Instead of doing a 50%, we should be able to pay a deductible and they can do the rest. We're paying that monthly fee every month and sometimes, we might not even much use it on a monthly basis.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. Please contact Customer Loyalty to discuss options that may be available after this current repair is completed. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers and thank you again for your comments.

Protect My Car Company Information