Get Pricing

4.4/5 (341 ratings)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service contract provider. The company's goal is to eliminate the worry of being financially responsible for an expensive mechanical breakdown. With a Protect My Car extended auto warranty, you don’t have to worry about being fully burdened with the cost of a covered repair.

Pros

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Long payment plan

Cons

• Not offered in all states
  • Mileage limits on lower side

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 10 years old with up to 125,000 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I had never used any of Protect My Car's services and if it wasn't for needing protection on my car, I would never deal with them. Every time something goes wrong with my car, they don't cover that part. I'm putting out $3,500 a year or as long as it takes, and I still never get serviced. If I'm paying someone my money and they're not doing their job, then why should I pay them? They're supposed to take care what they're telling me they're gonna take care of when I bought the service. The service I’m supposed to have is the elite. That means the top of the line and that’s what I’m supposed to get. The way they write things down and the way they word things in their manual, “You’re saying that it’s this, but it’s part of this, but not all of that,” then they reject it and say, “Oh, no. We can’t cover that then. Because this didn’t do and that.”

I've had problems with coverage and it's not just with Protect My Car. I've had it with other companies too. One time, something broke and I had it fixed. When you're under stress with your car, you have to take your car to get something taken care of and it's a major part, you're not thinking that you have this extra coverage. I spent $800 to have that done then, I realized it. I called the company. They said, “We can't cover it now because of the fact you’re supposed to call us before they did it.” That pissed me off. That was early, so I try to remember. Certain things they say, “Well, that’s wear and tear,” and I can understand that part. However, when they're telling me they're not gonna cover what they told me they covered because I didn't contact them before the shop worked on it, that’s not nice at all.

The other day, I had to get my inspection done. Not thinking, I left my car at the shop and went home. The guy called me and said, “Your ball joint on your tire need to be replaced.” I’m not gonna pass inspection by that part being bad, so I said, “Well, go ahead and do it." I needed my car inspection to be done then after I was done paying the guy and got home, a day later, I realized maybe I could’ve used the warranty to pay for getting that part done. I don’t know if that is considered one of the wear-and-tear parts, so I never called them back.

The only one thing I have been doing on a regular basis is getting my oil changed. With the first couple ones, they said, "Rotate the tires,” and it was done. They paid the people that did the work and I didn’t see any issues with them. If I did, I’m the type of person who will tell people about it. They get my oil changed, but in essence, it’s not free because I’m paying for it every month that I put out $70-some.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Protect My Car. We make every effort to assist customers with repairs to their vehicles, and there are seldom any issues with approving claims. Unfortunately, after a thorough review of your account was completed, we could not locate any repair claims that a repair facility submitted. If you had repairs completed that you feel are approvable, please contact Customer Loyalty to get the correct information to submit a reimbursement request and provide any additional feedback. Thank you for being such a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I would definitely recommend this company. I recently filled my first claim last month and PMC paid it in full with no hassle. I had to have some front end work done and it was very costly, over $600 dollars. I also enjoy the free oil changes 3 times a year.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. Our goal is to handle all claims on a hassle-free basis, saving each customer not just money, but reducing stress and delays in getting you back on the road. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad to be here to protect your car, your budget, and your peace of mind. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I needed to get a starter and I took my vehicle to the shop to get it fixed the same day. I had to pay the mileage and half of the bills. I had half a plan so I had to deal with it. Also, I want to get an oil change but the rep said he was gonna send me a card in the mail and I have to present that card when I go get the change. Other than that, I don't have any problems with Protect My Car. The warranty has done everything it said it would do.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 4-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. Our Ambassador policies provide a wide variety of benefits, including free oil changes, tire rotations, and a reduced repair cost. We are happy to have assisted with your repair and apologize for any misinformation provided. To get your oil changes your shop would need to call Protect My Car claims and inform an adjuster that you need your oil change paid for, and you do not have to have your ID card for that. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can further assist you. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I have always had a great experience with all aspects of your service except for just one time. I had lost my wallet and had to call the corporate office to change my payment. A young girl was trying to talk to me but the ambient noise was so distracting I could not understand her. She got rude then I got mad. Those call centers are sooooo annoying, especially for your senior market.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car for your breakdown needs. We apologize for the ambient noise that distracted you and we will work harder to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your comments, and should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Customer Loyalty.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Customer service is beautiful. I love Protect My Car. The oil changes have been okay. I had a few car problems but they dealt with them. But, I tried to get out of the contract but they said I couldn't. Other than that, Protect my Car is okay. It's pretty cool to have it anyway.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 4-Star Review! We are delighted to have assisted with your repairs and oil changes. Please feel free to give our Customer Loyalty Department a call to discuss any issues that you may have encountered or provide additional feedback on how we could have earned that 5th star. Thank you for being a Protect My Car valued customer.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I had multiple things done and the repair shop had my car for almost a month. We would keep it for a day, and it would stall, and they would take it back. It was constantly in and out of the shop. The first claim was for a new starter, fuel pump, O2 sensor, and crank sensor then it still wasn’t driving correctly. We had to take it back and they had to replace something. We just got the car back to where it was fixed, but the shop couldn't have an agreement with the adjuster, so I had to pay a lot more out-of-pocket. I also need to figure out how to start the process to get reimbursed for my rental car.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 4-Star Review and for choosing Protect My Car. We are happy that we could assist with the approved repairs and understand your frustrations with the shop and the overage cost. However, due to industry regulations, certain repairs can not be covered under any policy. Please give our Customer Loyalty Department a call to discuss your rental reimbursement options and provide additional feedback on how we could have earned that 5th star. Thank you for being a Protect My Car valued customer.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Since I’ve been with Protect My Car utilize the free oil changes. The price is reasonable. I have had no problems and I would recommend them to friends and family. I gave them a five star because they do great work and customer service is very helpful when you do speak with somebody.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission to provide excellent service and needed help to all policyholders. We are thrilled that the policy, our staff, and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. Remember, if you refer someone who gets a policy, we thank you by sending you a Visa gift card. Again, thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

It has been over 3 weeks now since our car broke down. It is still sitting in my mechanic's back parking lot. Unbelievable. The tow truck was supposed to tow it to another shop for repairs on the 30th of last month...and it's still sitting there. What a joke. Very unhappy with the entire experience.

Protect My Car response

We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconveniences you have been through due to Roadside Assistance. There are no excuses for the time it took to get your vehicle to the new shop, and we regret the delay. We strive to provide the best service in the industry and are thrilled to have finally been able to get your claim started and authorized, and the transmission is currently en route to your shop. Thank you for being a Protect My Car valued customer, and please don’t hesitate to contact Loyalty if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Signing up with Protect My Car was easy. I like the effective policies that they have. Also, the way the reps help me find places to go get my car fixed is good. In case my regular warranty runs out, I have an extended warranty and it helps me save more money. This warranty company works on getting your car fixed if you have any issues with it. They don't have you on hold.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments and the 5-Stars. It means a lot to us to know our hard work pays off and we will work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations. Thank you for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I have taken my car in for service because the engine light was coming on. The mechanic place told me, “Go ahead and leave the car. We’ll call and talk to them and let you know what happens after that.” So I left it and then they called me and told me my car was ready. I said, “Oh, so the engine light isn’t coming on? There’s nothing wrong?” They said everything was fine and that I needed to have an oil change and a tire rotation that Protect My Car paid for. But I told them that the paperwork that I received from the mechanic said that I needed a clamp sensor and a motor mount. Also, it needed to have some brakes done. Out of all of that, Protect My Car ended up only paying for a tire rotation and an oil change. I was really, really, really disappointed with that.

I called Protect My Car and I told them how disappointed I was with the service. Because the paperwork said that if there's anything going on with the engine that they would take care of it. But that was not what the case was. I was calling to cancel it. But they talked me into giving it another chance. So I said I was gonna take my car to another mechanic that I know that I have used prior and see what he says. I took my car over there and at this point, I had to leave it overnight.

When the mechanic called, he said I could pick up my car. I asked him if everything was okay and he said, “Yeah.” I asked him if he was able to do the motor mounts. He said there wasn't anything wrong with the motor mounts. I asked him if he was sure and he said, “Yeah.” He also told me that they would call Protect My Car. So I went and picked up my car. But at this point, I am still very disappointed because my light still comes on. Protect My Car did not protect my car. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your experience with Protect My Car. We understand it is frustrating when everything is not covered as expected and apologize for that inconvenience. Unfortunately, after reviewing your claim, we found that your repair facility did not inform our claims department that your vehicle needed a motor mount. Outside of your oil change and tire rotation, the only other items listed were wheel speed sensors. A specialist reached out to you but was only able to leave a voicemail regarding your concerns. If you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact Customer Loyalty and remember to have your repair facility call claims to resolve that motor mount issue. Thank you for being a Protect My Car Valued Customer.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

My car was towed to Firestone because it didn't start. They found out something was wrong with the battery, so they had to change it then they did an oil change on it at the same time. This is my second time doing an oil change since I’ve gotten the coverage. There was no deductible on my car, but I had to pay for the battery along with the installation and Firestone charged me $180. It was very expensive, and I wish it was covered, but they told me it's not under the warranty. Other than that, it was a great service and I love the warranty very much.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments and the 5-Stars. We are happy to have been there for your oil changes. However, to keep the policy cost down and provide help for the unexpected breakdowns, vehicle breakdown policies do not cover the cost of maintenance and wear and tear items, such as tires, batteries, gaskets, and seals. We are looking at starting a maintenance program that could be added to a plan, but that concept is still in the early stages. Thank you once again for your comments. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything else we can do for you.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I have never had any problems with Protect My Car. Every time I put my car in the shop. They have no problem with protect my car paying them. They are a great company and I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I think Protect My Car is ok but I need to know what's covered and what's not, I called to find out if a particular part was covered and the girl didn't know, so I would like to know if a certain part is covered?

Protect My Car response

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We are delighted that a specialist was able to speak with you and provided you with the information you requested. As always, of course, please do not hesitate to call us if you need any help understanding the coverage specified in your policy. We are here to help and make sure your experience with Protect My Car is a positive one. Thanks again for your comments. We look forward to hearing from you any time you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I call, I will get someone right then and there with no problems. They are always on top when I call with no problems. They will answer my questions I need to know anything about and take care of my problems when I call. Thank you for the great customer service.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. It is very important to everyone here at Protect My Car that we provide the best customer experience in the industry. We want to end each day knowing we have helped a lot of people with vehicle problems that could have ruined not just their day but their budget for months to come. It means a lot to get comments from our policyholders that let us know we are doing just that. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Yes I’ve been recommended Protect My Car to some of my friends and stuff. I like your service. I like to how things get done I’m up. Most of all my car gets fixed at half at half of the cost. Thank you very much.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission to provide an excellent customer experience to all policyholders. Thank you for your comments. It really means a lot to us all to know our efforts are really helping give our policyholders good peace of mind. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do for you. Remember, if you refer someone who gets a policy, we thank you by sending you a Visa gift card. Again, thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

When my service representative at the Honda dealership came to me with a problem while I waited for them to change the oil, the problem was going to cost about $1000. I told him that I had Protect My Car and gave him my card. When he returned he said that's the easiest car warranty company he'd ever worked with. They paid the bill, I got my vehicle fixed, and everyone is now happy.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your experience with Protect My Car. Providing our policyholders with good peace of mind is our most important goal. We also know that many shops are very cautious when working with vehicle service contract companies, and we cannot say we blame them. However, it takes only one time working with Protect My Car for a shop to know how dedicated we are to saving our customers money, time, and hassles. Thank you again for your comments. We are glad to have you as a valued customer.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

My experience so far has been great! I was able to get a great discount on some car maintenance. Two problems were fixed having to do with my charging system, and my break system in my 2006 Ford Taurus, so I was happy about that, and then I got a free oil change at Jiffy Lube, so I was happy about that, too. Now my car is running smoothly, so, I'm a happy camper.

Protect My Car response

We cannot thank you enough for the great comments. It really means a lot to us all to know our efforts are really helping give our policyholders good peace of mind. By the way, if you know friends or family who might benefit from a policy, please tell them about us. We will treat them with just as much respect as we do you. Remember, if you referred someone to us who gets a policy, we say thank you by sending you a Visa gift card. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Professional services all the time. Very cooperative and loves their job. Kind and respectful people. Very polite, prompt, knows what they are talking about. Recommend family friends and co-workers to join PMC!!! Always talking in a generous tone and voice. Very pleasing to get along with no problems. Glad I am a member of PMC.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission to provide an excellent customer experience and we are thrilled that the policy, our staff, and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. Remember, if you refer someone who gets a policy, we thank you by sending you a Visa gift card. Again, thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Protect My Car did not protect me as I thought should of. I paid 200 for the deductible and spark plug work done on my 2016 Volkswagen Passat. It was 937& some change for the total of work completed. I ended up taking my car back a week later. Still today, my epc code comes on every 30 or so miles and I still have an oil leak that I can’t find.

Protect My Car response

We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconveniences you feel you have been put through, and a thorough review of your account was completed. On September 28th, your repair facility called to start a claim for one spark plug, four ignition coils, and a crankcase vent valve, none of which are generally covered under ANY service contracts in the industry. You were upset that PMC did not cover those repairs, so in consideration of your long-standing relationship with us, Protect My Car claims department chose to assist with your repairs. We are glad that we made that choice, and if there are still issues with your vehicle, please talk with the repair shop. Protect My Car did what your coverage is meant to do, and if you would like more information, don't hesitate to contact our Customer Loyalty Department for further assistance. We thank you for being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Yes I am pleased with the service, it is the type of plan I was looking for and I would recommend to someone else because when purchasing a use car or truck and the warranty end you need some protection, when you need service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I couldn't believe how cordial everyone was. My mechanic's secretary couldn't believe how easy your service people were to work with. She also would recommend your company to others. I've insisted that people I know look into your company for a plan that would work for them.

Protect My Car response

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission to provide excellent service and needed help to all policyholders. We are thrilled that the policy, our staff, and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. Remember, if you referred someone to us who gets a policy, we say thank you by sending you a Visa gift card. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

PMC has always been there for me in great times of need helping me keep my car going and safe. I've never had any problem getting my repairs done as long as I pay my monthly fee to PMC and cover my part for the parts and repairs. PMC customer service is fast, efficient and friendly. I highly recommend PMC to my family and friends. 5 Star company.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I love Protect My Car. Not only that I pay 70.00 a month but the free tire rotation and oil change comes in handy for me. Don’t have to pay outta pocket for anything and I’m so happy that anything didn’t happen to my car but if it do it’s just a 100 dollars for them to come pick her up and will give me a rental car until she gets out the shop.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

The customer service is always great. Just last week, I had a few belts repalced on the compressor. There was also something else recently which was a valve cover gasket. I've had oil changes as well. Claims are easy and usually the mechanics just call Protect My Car and I don't even know about it. They just give me what I have to pay. Everything's been fine.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments and the 5-Stars. It really is a team effort here to make sure the coverage is hassle-free for policyholders. It is comments like yours that let us know we are doing just that. That really makes our day. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do for you. Thanks again for those great comments and for choosing Protect My Car.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I've used the services a number of times and I love Protect My Car. It is a good service. It works and I like the way that it's set up.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 4-Star Review and for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad you are with us, and we will work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations. Please feel free to give our Customer Loyalty Department a call to provide additional feedback on how we could have earned that 5th star. Thank you for being a Protect My Car valued customer.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

The first time I did a claim, it was a bit difficult, but after that, everything was smooth. Customer support is very good. They always answer and any questions I have, they try to get to the bottom of it. If the phone service would be a little better, than it'll be perfect. I will most definitely tell friends to get Protect My Car.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 4-Star Review and for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad you are with us, and we will work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations. Please feel free to give our Customer Loyalty Department a call to provide additional feedback regarding the phone service issues and let us know how we can earn that 5th star moving forward. Thank you for being a Protect My Car valued customer.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

It's nice to get the lube, oil and synthetic but I've paid way more into any kind of repairs I needed where the warranty would be worth my while and a good purchase. Protect My Car is in business to profit. Ultimately, the consumer who purchases an extended warranty loses more times than not. They've got it down to a science where they're not gonna cover things that are more likely to go wrong but they'll cover the major things like the engine, transmission and electrical where the probability is slim that anything is gonna go wrong with the miles the vehicle has on. Also, when you get more mileage on your vehicle, now the tranny would go out and they would charge a lot more on it. I'm not dissatisfied but I don't think this warranty is benefitting me.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 4-Star Review! We are delighted to have assisted with your recent oil change and engine mount replacement. After reviewing your account, we found that you have our highest level breakdown plan, and there are many more components covered than just the engine and transmission. Protect My Car is always concerned that the cost of the coverage remains affordable for all our customers. Remember, though, the coverage is for mechanical breakdowns and includes oil changes and tire rotations as an added benefit. It does not cover other maintenance items, like alignments, fluid flushes, a/c recharge, hoses, brake pads/shoes, etc. If it did, the cost would have to be much higher. The benefits of this coverage will show themselves when you save significantly on that first large repair bill. We stand ready to assist when the need arises. We will never change our willingness to go the extra mile to help you when you need it. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

I really appreciate Protect My Car. I love their services, the customer service and the way they handle all my affairs when I'm in trouble. They have paid for everything that I needed to have done, from an oil change to internal mechanical problems, and they also let me know about trip interruptions if I ever needed their help. They have been patient with me when I didn't have money to make the full payment. They even gave me pandemic apology for a month. They've been, all around, great. I tell people all the time, “You need to get Protect My Car.” One friend I know got a Benz and he paid $500 for the window. I told him, “You should have had a warranty company. They would've helped you with that.”

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments and the 5-Stars. Providing our policy holders with good peace of mind is one of our most important goals. We stand ready to assist when the need arises. We will never change our willingness to go the extra mile to help you when you need it. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you again for your very encouraging comments.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Protect My Car took me after the other people hung up in my face after I told them I had 200,000 miles on my truck. I'm 75% covered and I enjoy knowing that it's there if I need to use it. When I went to Jiffy Lube the first time to get my stuff done, it was a little process. Now that I've been there for the second time, it was smooth and easy 'cause they already had my information. It hasn’t been long since I've been with Protect My Car and even though I haven't had to use them at all, except for an oil change, I'm satisfied. I suggested them to a couple of my coworkers because the number one factor was that Protect My Car takes cars that are over 200,000 miles. It's a give and a take of some cars work, while some cars don't. They even take it is a good deal.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate them very much. We also know that many consumers with older, higher mileage vehicles find it almost impossible to qualify for coverage with most companies. Protect My Car is always happy to help. As you know, this coverage helps save on repair costs, provides towing, roadside assistance, and even pays for oil changes and tire rotations, all at an affordable monthly premium. Remember that for every referral that uses your name and phone number to sign up, you will receive a $100 referral bonus. Thank you for being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I've had multiple claims and at first, Protect My Car was excellent. They said, “Okay, yeah, we're gonna pay with a credit card,” then they said they didn't pay with a credit card. They had an issue, so they had to send me checks. It took 30 to 45 days. After I put the claim in, it takes 30 days for them to issue the check and it would be the first of the month when they issued it. I also had my payments on automatic pay, but at one point, one of them didn't go through for some reason, so I had to re-initiate the automatic payment.

I appreciate the whole deal with my cars. The last year, my cars have been breaking left and right. One car goes in, the other one comes out, then the other one goes back in, and the other one comes out. However, the last experience with this 600 and some dollar check that I still haven’t received burns my biscuits. I had to pay the whole bit and that put me in a bind. I still think Protect My Car is not a bad deal though. It's just a matter of them going from excellent to very good to just fair.

Protect My Car response

We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. However, USCG did make updates to their payment method, so reimbursement is the easiest payment option at this time. It does typically take around 30 days to process and issue a reimbursement check. After reviewing your account, we see that one reimbursement check has been mailed, and two more requests are currently being processed. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with Protect My Car. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do for you.

Protect My Car Company Information