4.1/5 (516 ratings)
Call Center Open

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service provider that states its goal is to “change the game” with advisors who place the customer first and help minimize uncertainty from unexpected costly repairs. The company states that it aims to provide a hassle-free claims process and ongoing customer service.

Pros

• All services provided by Protect My Car employees
  • Payments starting at $60 a month
  • In-house claims process for smoother experience
  • Free oil changes and tire rotations with all policies

Cons

• Does not cover preexisting conditions
  • Not available in AK, CA, HI, MO, OK or WA

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 20 years old with up to 299,999 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I saw Protect My Car on TV and it sounded like they were reasonable, and I decided to do it on a spur of the moment. The alternator went bad on the car and I turned it over to the auto dealer. I trust my mechanic very well and he told me what I owed after. He handled all that for me and Protect My Car kicked in their little bit.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

So far, the service is good. I had to use the warranty a couple of weeks ago and the mechanic said that it was all taken care of. They approved whatever it is that had to be done. Just try Protect My Car.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I like Protect My Car’s response to the claim. The only problem I have is some of the things are not under warranty. With the air conditioning problem I had, one part was under warranty and the other wasn’t. It doesn’t make sense if you’re only gonna be responsible for part of something. And when you explain to me that everything is under warranty other than certain parts, I’d understand. But that unit didn’t make sense to me. Plus, I ended up paying a bigger part of the bill.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

When I got the policy, no one ever told me that my deductible was 50%. Who will agree to a 50% deductible, and I'm paying them almost $100 a month? It’s ridiculous to me. When my car finally got messed up, they didn't want to fix it. When they finally decided to fix it, my transmission went a week after I got my car fixed. They had me go through so many different things to get stuff from a year ago just to tell me they’re not going to fix my transmission. They had me get my reports from the oil change from the previous year. They told me that since the oil change a year ago, it was a suggestion to get my transmission looked at. But there were no lights so why would I think anything was wrong with my vehicle?

I canceled my service. Don't get it. It’s not worth your penny. The only thing it’s good for is the three oil changes and you can only go through the people that they have contracts with.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

The motor on the driver’s side window had an issue and the locking mechanism on the back door wasn't opening and closing. I wasn't able to access the back door on the van. I brought it to Pep Boys and they did all the legwork. They called up Protect My Car and the only issue that they had was the quoting part of it. Pep Boys got burned for a couple of $100 because they were quoted that they would pay for 800 and something dollars, and Protect My Car wound up paying only 600 and some dollars. But other than that, I paid my deductible. I felt bad for them, but at the end of the day, I got my vehicle fixed.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

The experience hasn't been the best. We signed up in 2018 and one of the vehicles I have wasn't under Protect My Car. That other company has pulled out and that left Protect My Car and the customers in a bind. Before you just pay half of whatever your invoice was and you were reinstated. For me, because my car is under the old warranty I had to pay everything in full and they reimbursed me.

I had some work done in February where it was $3,500 and I had to pay it, and I had to scrape up the money. It took them until last month when I finally received payment. That was because my husband and I ended up going to the Better Business Bureau. We have that same vehicle, we've had more work done to it, and I'm sure that it's gonna take a long time again. We're so over that part of it.

Other than that, my husband hasn't had any problems with the two other vehicles we have. He just had some work done on his GMC and they paid their portion right off the bat.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I have to wait almost forty-five minutes to get through to an individual. I have wait for a person to answer my call. I ask if there's anything can be done about the call waiting. Please let me know if this how a paying client gets treated.

Protect My Car response

We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that our call volume can sometimes exceed expectations, so we have incorporated many changes to manage our call hold times. There are instances, however, that we get a higher-than-normal call queue, and it can take longer than planned for a call to be answered. We will continue to work diligently to decrease the hold times. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact Customer Loyalty. Thank you for being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I have my car at the dealership right now. I have multiple repairs being done. One is not covered at all and the other is only partially covered. Both are from what they call, "consequential failures". How convenient for them. The AC issue is the one that really irks me. In the process of completing a repair of an AC door actuator, the gear was stripped in the box because of the failed actuator. Of course, if one part fails it could and did affect another. But they said, oops that's not covered, good luck with that. Which is troubling because what about the next big repair?

Protect My Car response

Our management team takes all such statements seriously. Protect My Car makes every effort to assist customers with repairs to their vehicle, so there are seldom any issues with approving claims. We would like to speak with you regarding your concerns however, our attempts to contact you for further review have been unsuccessful. Please contact Customer Loyalty at 844-556-4762 so that we can verify your account information and get a fair resolution.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

First first off it was on weekend when I try to get ahold of him. I had a hell of a time trying to get ahold of anybody at all because they don't work on weekends even though our cars can break down on weekends. They don't work on weekends then set. Top it all off they didn't cover anything that was wrong with my car because of basic wear and tear. So on top of not being able to get anything covered you can't get ahold of anybody to find out what's going on. They're one of the worst places I've ever had in contact with and I do not recommend them. Their Ambassador Platinum plan is a joke. If it doesn't cover wear and tear and it doesn't cover pre-existing what does it cover.

Protect My Car response

One of our specialists reached out but was unable to contact you, regarding your review. Please call our Loyalty department at 844-556-4762, for a review of your claim. Thank you for being a Protect My Car Valued Customer.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

This company is a scam, when my car broke down they told me to take it to the workshop, after the claim is made they allege that the car did not arrive in a tow truck, therefore it was broken and that is why the policy does not cover it, they are cheeky.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your feedback on this matter. We understand your frustrations and Protect My Car takes all such statements seriously. We would like to look further into this matter; however, without more identifying information, we are unable address any problem(s) that you experienced. In fact, we don't even know if you have an account with us and/or if you dealt directly with Protect My Car. If you have some additional information that you would like to share and/or have us address, please call Loyalty at 844-556-4762 so that we can provide further assistance, as needed.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Customer service was astounding and very informative and these are great people. Thank you Todd ** and Jason ** for your beyond the call of duty help on my policy and just helping me means the world too me.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We have shared those comments with Tod and Jason and to let them know how much their efforts are helping our policyholders when they need that help. Our goal is to give every policy holder a good peace of mind. Great rates, towing, rental car benefits, fast claims processing and the personal touch are just some of the ways we help provide that. Thanks once again for those great comments. Remember, we are still here to help again when the need arises. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Resolution response: Aug. 12, 2022

PMC is not getting it!!! I'm not frustrated, I feel deceived and lied to. Before I even paid for another rental, I made sure I called them to see if they would reimburse me. The rep told over the phone that, they would reimburse me, after, I pay for the rental. I have proof of the rep saying, out of her own mouth that they would reimburse me, for the rental. After I emailed the reimbursement dept. my receipt, that's when I got a reply later saying they would not reimburse me. So how are they holding up their obligations? They said one thing and did the total opposite. I don't know how many times I have to explain this. When you tell someone something and then, go back on your word, that is called deception and lying. In addition to, I did not receive any calls or emails from them trying to reach out to me about my review. If anything I've been calling and reaching out to them. I am currently looking for a new extended company that I can actually trust.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I initially took my van to Jerry's Garage on 7/5/2022 and started a claim, because, I had no air and my windows had stop working. My van was ready for pick up on 7/7/2022. After only having it back for only 5 days, I noticed the air went back out again, so I called the shop and they told me to bring my van back to them on 7/26/2022....BUT, Before I took my van back or paid for another rental, I contacted Protect My Car to make sure they would cover the rental, because I had to take my van back to the shop. I was assured by their representative that they would cover the rental simply because, I had to take it back to the shop and that another diagnostic test would be performed and the shop was to explain to protect my car that there was a leak in the compressor that they had just put on. Now their reimbursement department and the manager said, they won't cover the rental charge after I got and paid for the rental.

I made sure, before leaving my van at the shop and before spending another dime to get a rental, that they would reimburse me back. They lied. By these people assuring me a reimbursement, that's exactly what I'm expecting to get back. If not my fault or problem that their representative lied or gave me the wrong information.

Protect My Car response

We understand your frustrations; however, Protect My Car does not mislead customers nor have unethical business practices. One of our specialists reached out but was unable to contact you regarding your review. PMC’s Management team has re-reviewed your customer’s file, and we found that PMC has held up to our obligation on your coverage plan. If you would like more information regarding your claim, please feel free to contact our Loyalty department for further assistance.

Original review: July 30, 2022

They owed me money from a job done 7 month ago and refused to pay; my car still hasn't been fix, because of them. Had to report them to BBB. Do not recommend Protect My Car. Only 1 efficient employee.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are happy that one of our specialists was able to reach out to you to provide feedback regarding your review. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call our Loyalty department at 844-556-4762. Thank you

Original review: July 26, 2022

In the past 24 hours I have received 2 unwanted call. A machine calls stating they are replying to a request from me (untrue). Because it is a machine you have to wait to speak to a live person. That person states they will remove your number but since I got a call the next day that did not happen. I know there are good companies with good products out there. I have started a tracking list. When the time come I need that product I will get it from someone not on my Spam list.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your feedback on this matter. We understand your frustrations and Protect My Car takes all such statements seriously. We would like to look further into this matter; however, without more identifying information, we are unable to check our database to ensure we have properly taken your number from our call list. Please also remember that other companies are calling you as well. If you would like to speak with an agent to verify that your phone number is placed on OUR Do Not Call list, please feel free to contact our Loyalty department at 844-556-4762.

Original review: July 6, 2022

One of the things I liked about Protect My Car is that they don't have to hard sell. They answered my questions without trying to sell me on anything. And then they said, "Well have you thought about this, and have you thought about that?" It's a soft sell.

However, for my first claim, my car languished for two days because we could not get through the customer service line so that my mechanic can fix my car. I would drop the car off at the shop at 8 o'clock in the morning and I would pick it up at 5 o'clock and go home, and hope, hope, hope, and get it back the next day. On the third day, we finally got through. It was the first time the mechanic had ever used Protect My Car also. His complaint was, "I don't have time to wait for somebody." It's a busy shop and they cannot spend four hours on the phone. He was calling and he had his shop guys that were on break calling, and he had me calling, and it still took us two days to get a number. But once we got the number so the mechanic could start to work, it was a very easy process, and he was pleased.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your concerns with Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that our call volume has recently exceeded expectations, and we are in the process of incorporating many changes to manage our call hold times. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I have a warranty with this company and they have denied my claim for a water pump. They say I have had a preexisting condition and I have not. Do your research before you go with this company. They promise to have someone call you back and they don't. My dealership where my car is have tried to reach out to no avail. Worst company ever.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Protect My Car. We want to thank you for being a policyholder since April. Protect My Car makes every effort to assist customers with repairs to their vehicles, so we understand your frustrations regarding your recent claim. With the information provided by your shop, PMC Claims determined that the A/C concerns were not covered under your policy, and we apologize for that inconvenience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Customer Loyalty. Thank you for being a valued Protect My Car customer.

Original review: July 1, 2022

The rep was really nice. He explained what it would cost me if my engine have issues.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are delighted that our agents have provided you with outstanding customer experiences. Having a knowledgeable and professional agent who truly cares about your situation and gives you the help you need provides customers with good peace of mind, which is one of our most important goals. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

At first I was with CARCHEX, then I cancelled because I went with this other company since I found out that they were cheaper. But whatever the price was, they paid 50% and you had to pay the rest. So I cancelled them. This lady from CARCHEX called me back the second time and she said she could get the price down to 119 a month. She also said that 75 dollars down, they would do bumper to bumper. So, I went back to her because she was really cool.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the comments, and after a brief review of your account, we are happy to see you are still a valued customer of Protect My Car. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

A few months ago I tried to use my policy and I was unsuccessful and gave a 0 rating. And I was contacted and the problem was solved and I am very happy. I will refer this company. Thank you for your Help.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-star review and for choosing Protect My Car. We are thrilled that you spoke with Melodi and a resolution was reached to your satisfaction. We apologize for the inconvenience caused during your claim process and regret that you did not receive a stellar customer experience at that time. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I was talking to the Protect My Car rep and he sounded good. So, he convinced me. The only thing is it’s hard to get ahold of somebody all the time. I tried to reach out to them for two weeks, trying to bring my car to get fixed, but I couldn’t get the claims department. All they do is keep me on hold, and all I do is listen to music all day. I finally got through a day before yesterday. They told me to just bring the car to the mechanic place. I gave them the Protect My Car claim number, and they would call Protect My Car so they could pay it and take care of everything. Once they get the car fixed, I’d be satisfied.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We apologize for any delays that you may have experienced and are sorry to hear you were disappointed for any reason. We understand it is frustrating to wait, so we strive to make every transaction hassle-free. Unfortunately, at this time our call volume is higher than expected, but we are confident that recently implemented changes will decrease the average hold time for better service. We are glad you are with us and will work hard to make sure we meet and exceed your expectations. Protect My Car appreciates any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Protect My Car didn't do anything. They were horrible. I took my car to my dealer service and they attempted to get paid for three things that were supposed to be covered, but Protect My Car said they were not paying. They said it was considered some type of electrical service when it really wasn't. I canceled my claim right after that. It cost me $700 to try to go with Protect My Car but they did not protect anything on my car. So, they're a horrible company.

Protect My Car response

Protect My Car takes all such statements seriously. A thorough review of your account was completed, and we thank you for becoming a valued customer in January 2022. Every policy includes a grace period, and according to our findings, at the time of your repair request, your policy was still within that timeframe. We apologize for any misunderstandings and inconvenience regarding your coverage and non-approved claim. We regret that we were unable to keep your valued business, but please don't hesitate to contact Loyalty if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Protect My Car gives good discount and they have good monthly payments. It's a very good warranty company.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. Helping you save is precisely what a good coverage program should do. We are glad to have you as a valued customer and are confident you'll be saving even more money in the future with this coverage. Thanks again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I had some people before and they weren’t right so, I’m hoping Protect My Car is right. When I signed up, the reps were very professional and they explained everything step by step. The plans covered what I wanted.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for the 5-stars and for choosing Protect My Car. We are glad you are with us and will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

When I signed up, I asked questions and the rep answered them. I'm satisfied with Protect My Car and people should look into it. The payments are automatically coming out of my account, which is the easiest way for me.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I had Protect My Car with the truck I had before and before I needed work done, they were taking my money every month. As soon as it broke down and I needed work done to my car, there was a big problem. Now, things don’t seem to get fixed at an orderly fashion. There were too many things getting asked and I was faithfully paying every month. I shouldn’t have gone through that. They covered one thing, which was what made e stay with them. Then, I got another car after that and they did not want to cover that because it was a big job. It was a transmission job. So, I cancelled and went somewhere else. I will never recommend anyone to go to Protect My Car.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Protect My Car. While we understand your frustrations, we do abide by industry-standard coverage requirements. As we do with every major claim, we requested service records and an inspection of the needed repairs, for both vehicles. With your first vehicle, we were able to approve your repairs; however, with the second vehicle, there were issues that even you did not know of before you purchased that vehicle. Protect My Car determined that we could not approve that claim due to those extenuating circumstances, and we apologize for that inconvenience. We regret that we were unable to keep your valued business, but please don't hesitate to contact Loyalty if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: July 1, 2022

The rep was professional. He was trying to sell a product and did a great job but what Protect My Car sold was not what I got. They said I would get so many free oil changes. They said I could go anywhere that I chose. I went to three different oil change places and they said that they don't deal with Protect My Car because they never get paid. Making the payments for the coverage is not difficult at all but if you want to cancel it, you can’t. You got to write a letter and they wouldn't do anything until after they receive the letter. They want the mileage on your vehicle. I tried to call them because I have a billing situation and nobody will answer the phone. So, I'm not happy with them. You shouldn't have to do that if you don't like the service. It was a good experience until I got further into the thing and I saw all the pitfalls.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your concerns with Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that our call volume has recently exceeded expectations, and we are in the process of incorporating many changes to manage our call hold times. Also, we are delighted that you were able to speak with Melodi and get a more favorable resolution regarding the oil change issue. We thank you for choosing Protect My Car, and we will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

The reps at Protect My Car were excellent. They explained to me better than the other folks did and they let me know exactly how it was with the service that I'm getting. I was told exactly what I needed to know.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Protect My Car sounded as if they covered the most for the prices, that I got the better price for the value. One of the deal breakers would have been mechanical stuff. Protect My Car gave me a good rate for the majority of mechanical things being covered. I got the extensive coverage plan. The rep was extremely knowledgeable. Our conversation was more than just about the car. He showed me the benefit of selecting the higher-tiered package. He also gave me information about potential discounts that I would get. I had a good experience. I have recommended Protect My Car to friends.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Protect My Car. We make it our mission to provide excellent service and needed help to all policyholders. We are thrilled that the policy, our staff, and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal. In addition, we appreciate that you referred friends and family to us, and we will treat them with just as much respect as we do you. Remember that for every referral that uses your name and phone number to sign up and then completes their grace period, you will receive a $100 referral bonus. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Protect My Car had the better reputation. So, I picked them. The only experience I had was they gave me a free oil change. And I appreciated that. It went good. But it took a long time getting through to Protect My Car. The dealership asked me, “Will I hold on the phone for you guys?” Because they were waiting and waiting. So, the process was a little slow. The agent was nice to me when he got through, but it took a little longer than it should have. When we were finally able to get through, everything came out all right. Customer service was good.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for sharing your concerns with Protect My Car. We understand your frustrations and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that our call volume has recently exceeded expectations, and we are in the process of incorporating many changes to manage our call hold times. We are delighted that you were able to speak with Melodi and provide additional feedback. We thank you for choosing Protect My Car, and we will continue to work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help out. We appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I found out from my Toyota dealership that I don't have bumper-to-bumper. And I haven’t been able to get ahold of anyone from Protect My Car. They should get my policy in writing, not email.

Protect My Car response

Protect My Car management team takes all such statements seriously, and we understand your frustrations. We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding what is covered under your policy. We would be very happy to review your coverage, and can also mail a hard copy of your policy documents, but we do not have an address on file for you. Please call Customer Loyalty for further assistance. We will work hard to ensure we meet and exceed your expectations, and we appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions from our valued customers.

Protect My Car Company Information