4.1/5 (100 reviews)

About olive

olive is a consumer-informed mechanical breakdown coverage provider that seeks to offer a high-quality product at the right time in a transparent manner. Plan holders can cancel at any time or transfer the plan to a new buyer without a transfer fee. olive’s customers are in the driver’s seat when it comes to purchasing options and plan choices, and all rates are locked in for three years. Once you choose your deductible and coverage level, coverage begins the next day with no waiting period. olive is the official auto mechanical breakdown coverage partner of the NHL.

Pros

• Quote and buy online 24/7
  • No robocalls ever
  • No waiting period or inspection

Cons

• Preexisting conditions not covered
  • Vehicle must be 10 years or newer
  • Doesn’t cover some performance cars

Bottom Line

olive provides multiple solutions to cover your vehicle. olive has three plan levels with three deductibles available to purchase 100% online or over the phone. Your vehicle must meet age and mileage restrictions.

Top olive Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?

Verified

Their rep was very knowledgeable and he was able to answer the questions that I needed answered very clearly. With the extended warranty, I have a whole lot of security driving. I...

Verified

We all need extended warranties on our vehicles especially with this pandemic going on. I highly recommend Olive. The coverage did meet my needs. It's understandable for the maint...

What is olive?

olive offers auto warranty solutions in the form of vehicle service contracts and mechanical breakdown insurance. olive covers cars traveling in the U.S. or Canada, but the vehicle must be registered in the United States. Personalized plan options ensure drivers only pay for what they need. Unlike some of its competitors, olive has no waiting period and does not require any vehicle inspections.

How does olive work?

olive gives you complete control when it comes to receiving quotes and purchasing plans. The company’s online quote tool is available 24/7, allowing customers to buy online at any time. If you prefer to call them, their coverage advocates can help secure coverage.

olive has three plans and three deductibles to choose from, giving you nine options to purchase. Once you select a plan, the rate is locked in and will not change for a three-year term, and you can cancel anytime. When a repair is needed, take your vehicle to an ASE-certified center of your choice and call to file a claim. You’ll pay your deductible and any non-covered items, and olive pays for the rest.

olive prices

olive’s pricing varies based on the year, make, model, mileage and location of the vehicle. An average olive plan ranges between $25 and $80 each month. When selecting the olive plan that’s best for you, consider your deductible options. olive offers a choice of three plans and three deductibles. Always read the terms and conditions to understand exactly what is covered and any exclusions based on each plan.

olive FAQ

Where is olive available?

Your car must be registered in the U.S. to receive a plan from olive, but the company covers cars that travel in the U.S. and Canada.

Does olive cover used cars?

Yes, olive covers used cars and requires no auto inspection.

Is olive’s coverage transferable?

Yes, olive’s coverage plans are transferable and can be canceled at any time.

Does olive let you customize its plans?

Yes, olive you can customize your coverage plan to meet the needs of your vehicle. You can also choose your deductible amount (options range from $100 to $500).

Is olive good?

olive strives to provide customers with a positive experience. It’s committed to not “nickel-and-diming” its customers and provides multiple plans to choose from. olive makes things convenient for customers by not requiring a vehicle inspection or waiting period when you sign up, and it lets you take your vehicle to any ASE-verified location instead of forcing you to choose from mechanics in a network.

olive video review

olive video review
Robyn: Hi, my name is Robyn. I live in California. And what got me interested in olive is my extended car warranty was coming to an end. The alternatives that I had considered were, a few of them were Carchex, Select, and of course the warranty company that I had already been with. And after researching olive, I found that they offered everything that I needed. The purchase process was pretty easy. Everything was online. I went ahead and researched everything. However, there were questions that I needed answered, so I did go ahead and call. They answered quite rapidly. The woman on the other line was very patient with me. I had so many questions. She went through every question I had, answered them. We mirrored each other on the internet so she could see what I was looking at. I could see what she was offering. The customer service was excellent. And because of that, that's why I chose olive. My purchase with olive I believe was worth it. My extended warranty was coming to an end. The company that I was with had offered me a warranty that was not comparable to what olive did. And their prices were much higher. I was able to get a lower price and a better policy with olive.

olive Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?

Original review: March 3, 2023

I thought 500 was kind of high but after talking to the guy who worked for olive, he was really nice and I realized that life is just too expensive now. His name was Artie and he was really good at his job. He was the kind of dude you would want for your neighbor and I didn't mind kicking back with him and getting through the signup together.

I called one day to compare olive to other towing services like Triple A or Good Sam, and with olive, you get the minimum tow to the closest. I asked them if I drove four hours to the next state, planned on going back home, and the car broke down, would it get towed back home. They said no and that it would just go to the nearest mechanic shop. With Triple A, they tow you for 200 miles, then they tow you an additional 100 and another additional 100 and another additional 100. With Good Sam, you get unlimited towing with the roadside. So olive should put on their advertisements how much miles their towing thing is for. They should put a minimum amount there and it should be explained because someone could get confused. But other than that, it is what it is and I like what I got from them. They're great.

olive response

Nic, thank you for sharing your experience and for the towing recommendations. We sure appreciate your feedback and welcome you to the family!

Ctina with olive

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Olive is not going to pay for the costs or the repair for what they deem to be pre-existing conditions. I've only been with them a couple of months and I’m still learning. I made one claim and I was a little disappointed. I purchased the Olive auto warranty on the same day that I took the car to the dealership. However, the dealership had my vehicle abnormally long. They had it for nine days. They hadn't even looked at my vehicle because they were backed up. I didn't know what was wrong with my car because it doesn't tell you all that. Once they finally were able to tell me what the issues were with the vehicle and I called to file a claim, Olive said that they considered it a pre-existing condition before I had the policy, even though it didn't even get looked at till Day Eight to even tell me what was wrong with it that they weren't going to honor that.

It was a little tough pill to swallow knowing that it was an abnormal situation. I totally get it if it was one of those things where on the same day that I signed up for the service, they were able to tell me for sure what was wrong with it and then they started working on it. It just didn't matter. They didn't cover anything. I live on the West Coast and when I signed up with Olive, I didn't realize that they were on East Coast time. So, it might be a little bit more difficult to get in contact with somebody because this is probably close to them closing. It's a different situation and it’s hard. I'm trying to give Olive a little bit of a benefit of the doubt, but it hasn't been a great experience so far.

olive response

Ernesto, we are sorry to hear of your car's breakdown. However, per terms and conditions, we do not cover pre-existing conditions. The policy you purchased is for UNEXPECTED breakdowns, as you were planning to have your car repaired prior to purchasing the policy, that is pre-existing failure. If all conditions are repaired, you will be covered for anything NEW that happens.

Thank you for being part of the olive family and taking the time to share your experience with us.

Ctina with olive

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

I asked the rep from Olive a couple of questions and he was good because I had talked to a couple other warranty companies versus what they had to say. They were sales people and would try to get you to be skeptical of whatever you were receiving with Olive or any other warranty. Even the dealership tried to sell me a third-party warranty and it was $4,000.

I've repaired enough vehicles and for a long time, I was just driving inexpensive vehicles. But now that I've got a small child, I don't want to have to be out repairing vehicles in the middle of the night and I wanted something that was safe. The warranty was right around $900, so even if I had to have one or two repairs done, there's a good chance that it would offset the entire price of the warranty. Granted, everyone would win if I didn't have to have any repairs done through the warranty. Nobody ever wants to use their warranty. It's like automotive insurance, where you pay thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars and you hope that you never have to use it, but you don't wanna be uninsured. When you have an almost new vehicle, you hope you don't have to use the warranty, but it's also a nice peace of mind to have.

The only issue that I had was, the rep from Olive called me back when I initially signed up because I did not have the exact mileage. They ran a CARFAX on the vehicle and the mileage was off by 63 miles. At the time, I was like, "Well, okay." It might be good if they clarify that they pull the actual CARFAX so they need the exact odometer reading. I tried to send them over a picture and everything is all squared away now. I haven't heard anything back.

olive response

Welcome to the olive family, Marc, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We do verify with CARFAX for model type and mileages, you are correct!

Have a wonderful day,

Ctina with olive

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I had a bad experience with Olive because they lied to me. I don't like what they did at all. I recorded the gentleman when he first gave me the plan and I told him what was going on with the vehicle. I told them my concerns and that some things occurred before buying the warranty, like the oil leaks. The transmission had a clutch issue and I gave them the paperwork from the dealer. The gentleman said it should be fine. Now, I have to pay for the car. It's in the shop, which is not right, and I would like to contest that if I could. Olive didn't keep their part of the bargain. Nobody's doing anything about it.

I wasn't expecting Olive to fix the whole vehicle. But I was thinking maybe, since the gentleman told me things, maybe they always happen. I didn't have any leaks when I had the vehicle before the insurance. But it's no problem. I'm taking care of it. I just wish that I would have known. I probably could look for something better that would assist me. Olive is a good program, but they should have been upfront because I did tell them. It wasn't like everything was perfect. But it's okay.

olive response

Kafshi, we are sorry to hear that your are disappointed. As clearly stated in our terms and conditions, pre-existing conditions are not covered. You can find that information here: https://olive.com/terms-of-service/

For further questions, please call us at 866-279-9917 M-F 7-4 PST

Ctina with olive

Original review: April 8, 2022

The reps explained everything but while they were explaining, I was looking at a flyer Olive sent me, and I was looking at what it was saying. It turned out good. I hope I don't have to use Olive but if I do, they’re saying they’ll take care of me. It's nice to know that I have that in my back pocket to use just in case. I can't beat the price. I had a different service with my car and I was paying 100 something dollars for it a month, and this is way less. I like it because it covers just as much and maybe more. I'm retired. I'm on a fixed budget and the payment fits my budget perfectly. I'm not spending a bunch out every month. I love the service that Olive provides. I already referred my cousin. She's gonna get a new car within the month and I gave her the flyer that Olive sent me. I told her not to get anything from where they’re getting the car from and to use that. She plans on doing it so I already got Olive one new customer.

olive response

Wow! Gregory, thank you for sharing your experience with us and your family members. We are so happy to bring you the peace of mind you deserve in mechanical breakdown coverage. We welcome you and are excited to have your cousin join this great family, too.

Ctina with olive

Original review: March 26, 2023

If you're thinking about looking for extended warranty, consider Olive. I would highly recommend it. They offered the most competitive rate with better guarantees. Other warranty companies didn't have the same benefits where the coverage started the same day I paid. The coverage starts 30 to 40 to 60 days after the payment is made. But with Olive, they said, "As soon as you make your payment, you're covered the first day." The payments were cheaper. And they offered a better service.

olive response

Thank you, Jay, for this review and for sharing your experience with us. We are proud to have you in the olive family.

Ctina with olive

Original review: March 25, 2023

Erica is very nice and patient. She explained everything to me. I didn't have to ask questions over and over again. So she made it real smooth for me. I’m very satisfied.

olive response

Hi joseph, thank you for the kind words regarding your interaction with our fabulous Coverage Advocate Erica and for the 5-star review and we would like to Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: March 18, 2023

I'm very happy with the online process and everyone that I've spoken to has been very friendly. Everything was very straightforward. I purchased online and I had a question, so I contacted olive. Where I live, the closest ASCE-authorized garage is an hour and a half away. So, I had to consider that when I went with them. They were very surprised where I was located. It was that far to get to one. They said, usually, they're very close. I feel much better knowing that everything is covered. Check olive. I liked what I saw.

olive response

Paul, we are very excited to have you in the olive family and are happy you have shared this experience with us. Have a wonderful day.

Original review: March 17, 2023

They have good customer service. But I did have to file a claim before and I wasn't aware of certain things. So I never got my car repaired. If I would have known about the warranty breakdown, I would have been very knowledgeable about what was covered on my vehicle as far as if anything was to happen.

olive response
    Jamal, we are sorry to hear of your unexpected breakdown and your disatisfaction with your coverage. For reference, we provide terms and conditions with your policy documents, as well as on our website here: https://olive.com/terms-of-service/.

We are also available for any questions or concerns by phone 888.olive.it or by chat.

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, have a great day.

Original review: March 17, 2023

I had a very good experience with Olive. I called them, and the purchasing process was simple. The rep answered every question I had as well. He was very knowledgeable, and he sold the product really well.

olive response

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Billy, and for taking the time to leave this FIVE-star review!

Welcome to the family.