4.4/5 (202 ratings)
Call Center Open

About olive

olive is a consumer-informed mechanical breakdown coverage provider that seeks to offer a high-quality product at the right time in a transparent manner. Plan holders can cancel at any time or transfer the plan to a new buyer without a transfer fee. olive’s customers are in the driver’s seat when it comes to purchasing options and plan choices, and all rates are locked in for three years. Once you choose your deductible and coverage level, coverage begins the next day with no waiting period. olive is the official auto mechanical breakdown coverage partner of the NHL.

Pros

• Quote and buy online 24/7
  • No robocalls ever
  • No waiting period or inspection

Cons

• Preexisting conditions not covered
  • Vehicle must be 10 years or newer
  • Doesn’t cover some performance cars

Bottom Line

olive provides multiple solutions to cover your vehicle. olive has three plan levels with three deductibles available to purchase 100% online or over the phone. Your vehicle must meet age and mileage restrictions.

Top olive Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Their rep was very knowledgeable and he was able to answer the questions that I needed answered very clearly. With the extended warranty, I have a whole lot of security driving. I...

Verified

We all need extended warranties on our vehicles especially with this pandemic going on. I highly recommend Olive. The coverage did meet my needs. It's understandable for the maint...

What is olive?

olive offers auto warranty solutions in the form of vehicle service contracts and mechanical breakdown insurance. olive covers cars traveling in the U.S. or Canada, but the vehicle must be registered in the United States. Personalized plan options ensure drivers only pay for what they need. Unlike some of its competitors, olive has no waiting period and does not require any vehicle inspections.

How does olive work?

olive gives you complete control when it comes to receiving quotes and purchasing plans. The company’s online quote tool is available 24/7, allowing customers to buy online at any time. If you prefer to call them, their coverage advocates can help secure coverage.

olive has three plans and three deductibles to choose from, giving you nine options to purchase. Once you select a plan, the rate is locked in and will not change for a three-year term, and you can cancel anytime. When a repair is needed, take your vehicle to an ASE-certified center of your choice and call to file a claim. You’ll pay your deductible and any non-covered items, and olive pays for the rest.

olive prices

olive’s pricing varies based on the year, make, model, mileage and location of the vehicle. An average olive plan ranges between $25 and $80 each month. When selecting the olive plan that’s best for you, consider your deductible options. olive offers a choice of three plans and three deductibles. Always read the terms and conditions to understand exactly what is covered and any exclusions based on each plan.

olive FAQ

Where is olive available?

Your car must be registered in the U.S. to receive a plan from olive, but the company covers cars that travel in the U.S. and Canada.

Does olive cover used cars?

Yes, olive covers used cars and requires no auto inspection.

Is olive’s coverage transferable?

Yes, olive’s coverage plans are transferable and can be canceled at any time.

Does olive let you customize its plans?

Yes, olive you can customize your coverage plan to meet the needs of your vehicle. You can also choose your deductible amount (options range from $100 to $500).

Is olive good?

olive strives to provide customers with a positive experience. It’s committed to not “nickel-and-diming” its customers and provides multiple plans to choose from. olive makes things convenient for customers by not requiring a vehicle inspection or waiting period when you sign up, and it lets you take your vehicle to any ASE-verified location instead of forcing you to choose from mechanics in a network.

olive video review

olive video review
Robyn: Hi, my name is Robyn. I live in California. And what got me interested in olive is my extended car warranty was coming to an end. The alternatives that I had considered were, a few of them were Carchex, Select, and of course the warranty company that I had already been with. And after researching olive, I found that they offered everything that I needed. The purchase process was pretty easy. Everything was online. I went ahead and researched everything. However, there were questions that I needed answered, so I did go ahead and call. They answered quite rapidly. The woman on the other line was very patient with me. I had so many questions. She went through every question I had, answered them. We mirrored each other on the internet so she could see what I was looking at. I could see what she was offering. The customer service was excellent. And because of that, that's why I chose olive. My purchase with olive I believe was worth it. My extended warranty was coming to an end. The company that I was with had offered me a warranty that was not comparable to what olive did. And their prices were much higher. I was able to get a lower price and a better policy with olive.

olive Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Olive is not going to pay for the costs or the repair for what they deem to be pre-existing conditions. I've only been with them a couple of months and I’m still learning. I made one claim and I was a little disappointed. I purchased the Olive auto warranty on the same day that I took the car to the dealership. However, the dealership had my vehicle abnormally long. They had it for nine days. They hadn't even looked at my vehicle because they were backed up. I didn't know what was wrong with my car because it doesn't tell you all that. Once they finally were able to tell me what the issues were with the vehicle and I called to file a claim, Olive said that they considered it a pre-existing condition before I had the policy, even though it didn't even get looked at till Day Eight to even tell me what was wrong with it that they weren't going to honor that.

It was a little tough pill to swallow knowing that it was an abnormal situation. I totally get it if it was one of those things where on the same day that I signed up for the service, they were able to tell me for sure what was wrong with it and then they started working on it. It just didn't matter. They didn't cover anything. I live on the West Coast and when I signed up with Olive, I didn't realize that they were on East Coast time. So, it might be a little bit more difficult to get in contact with somebody because this is probably close to them closing. It's a different situation and it’s hard. I'm trying to give Olive a little bit of a benefit of the doubt, but it hasn't been a great experience so far.

olive response

Ernesto, we are sorry to hear of your car's breakdown. However, per terms and conditions, we do not cover pre-existing conditions. The policy you purchased is for UNEXPECTED breakdowns, as you were planning to have your car repaired prior to purchasing the policy, that is pre-existing failure. If all conditions are repaired, you will be covered for anything NEW that happens.

Thank you for being part of the olive family and taking the time to share your experience with us.

Ctina with olive

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

I asked the rep from Olive a couple of questions and he was good because I had talked to a couple other warranty companies versus what they had to say. They were sales people and would try to get you to be skeptical of whatever you were receiving with Olive or any other warranty. Even the dealership tried to sell me a third-party warranty and it was $4,000.

I've repaired enough vehicles and for a long time, I was just driving inexpensive vehicles. But now that I've got a small child, I don't want to have to be out repairing vehicles in the middle of the night and I wanted something that was safe. The warranty was right around $900, so even if I had to have one or two repairs done, there's a good chance that it would offset the entire price of the warranty. Granted, everyone would win if I didn't have to have any repairs done through the warranty. Nobody ever wants to use their warranty. It's like automotive insurance, where you pay thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars and you hope that you never have to use it, but you don't wanna be uninsured. When you have an almost new vehicle, you hope you don't have to use the warranty, but it's also a nice peace of mind to have.

The only issue that I had was, the rep from Olive called me back when I initially signed up because I did not have the exact mileage. They ran a CARFAX on the vehicle and the mileage was off by 63 miles. At the time, I was like, "Well, okay." It might be good if they clarify that they pull the actual CARFAX so they need the exact odometer reading. I tried to send them over a picture and everything is all squared away now. I haven't heard anything back.

olive response

Welcome to the olive family, Marc, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We do verify with CARFAX for model type and mileages, you are correct!

Have a wonderful day,

Ctina with olive

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I had a bad experience with Olive because they lied to me. I don't like what they did at all. I recorded the gentleman when he first gave me the plan and I told him what was going on with the vehicle. I told them my concerns and that some things occurred before buying the warranty, like the oil leaks. The transmission had a clutch issue and I gave them the paperwork from the dealer. The gentleman said it should be fine. Now, I have to pay for the car. It's in the shop, which is not right, and I would like to contest that if I could. Olive didn't keep their part of the bargain. Nobody's doing anything about it.

I wasn't expecting Olive to fix the whole vehicle. But I was thinking maybe, since the gentleman told me things, maybe they always happen. I didn't have any leaks when I had the vehicle before the insurance. But it's no problem. I'm taking care of it. I just wish that I would have known. I probably could look for something better that would assist me. Olive is a good program, but they should have been upfront because I did tell them. It wasn't like everything was perfect. But it's okay.

olive response

Kafshi, we are sorry to hear that your are disappointed. As clearly stated in our terms and conditions, pre-existing conditions are not covered. You can find that information here: https://olive.com/terms-of-service/

For further questions, please call us at 866-279-9917 M-F 7-4 PST

Ctina with olive

Original review: March 11, 2022

I tried to go through Ford, but their program was way over above my head. I went on the internet looking at several different companies and I was a little skeptical about it because of giving out information and not knowing exactly if it's reputable. I tried to find that out first before I went ahead and signed up. I talked to somebody at Olive personally, and she sent me the things about the different ratings. It eased my mind a little. I like the fact that they explained to me about the different types of packages, and when they found that my car had less than 100,000 miles on it, I qualified for a certain coverage. I liked that. I also shopped around, and their price was good.

Olive emailed me something about the coverage, but I like to have something I can hold in my hand and read. I asked for written stuff, and I got the package, but I haven't read it yet. I also talked to them yesterday and I was glad I did because I was calling to do my payment. They told me it was automatically set up and to use the card that I had. I didn't know that, so I gave them my bank information because I would rather for it come out of there than to be charged through a credit card every month.

olive response

Marilyn, we pride ourselves in a transparent, hassle-free process and am so happy to hear we have exceeded expectations! Welcome to the olive family and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Cheers!

Ctina with olive

Original review: March 9, 2022

Olive's cost was good, but besides that, my main reason for getting it was it was in effect right away. I went to some other sites that I put my information in, but there was a waiting period before the contract became active. Olive also has three different options that one can choose from, whether someone wants to go with Grade A, B, or C. A covers a lot more things than B, but then B and C are a little cheaper than A. I took a look at the different coverages as far as the vehicle and what parts of the engine it covered at the time.

I spoke to a representative initially when I got all of this set up, and he explained things to me. I asked him a ton of questions about how it worked, if I got in an accident or if some particular engine part failed. It was a number of car maintenance and troubleshooting or scenarios that I asked him about. We got it set up, but then my bank card got lost. I got my it renewed, but I forgot to go back online to update the information on Olive.

I was covered for most of that year. By the time I got a notification through email from Olive, it already lapsed. When I reapplied, I did everything online. It was option number two that I selected, and submitting the information via the website went smooth. Olive then found the original application that I had on file with them. I reactivated it, but it cost me more, because I had less miles on that car at the time. I hope nothing happens to my car, but if something did, I would like to be assured that it will be covered, especially if it’s nothing of my fault. With every service maintenance agreement, you have to keep records of your maintenance and you got to do it on the intervals the manufacturer required.

olive response

Digging into your coverage options is a MUST, Clifford, we are so happy you were able to find the peace of mind you were looking for at olive. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Cheers!

Ctina with olive

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

Olive had to keep asking me about my mileage because it was low and they didn't believe me at first. But they do now. Once I was signing up, they gave me a direct line. They told me they were gonna send me a link so I can put it on my phone to make the direct connection. If anything electrical or a computer system goes wrong, it can be a lot. If it's a transmission, that's $3,000 or $4,000. For me to buy this coverage, it's very economical.

olive response
    Hello Judith, thank you for the four stars and sharing your experience. We apologize for the repeated questions about the low mileage for your vehicle. The mileage plays a huge part in your rate, and we want to make sure all of the information is correct before we give you a quote. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori at olive

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I had a really good experience with the rep I spoke to several months ago. I was only information gathering at the time and then I followed up with her when I was ready to purchase. Unfortunately, I got no response. The rep that I did speak to when I signed up was knowledgeable but somewhat dismissive, abrupt, and not great with customer service. For any other product or service, it may have been more of a concern but I was already calling to sign up, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Also, the coverage seems okay.

olive response

AJ, thank you for sharing your experience. We pride ourselves in excellent customer service and will look into this further.

Have a wonderful day and thank you for choosing the olive family.

Ctina with olive.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

Olive is not going to pay for the costs or the repair for what they deem to be pre-existing conditions. I've only been with them a couple of months and I’m still learning. I made one claim and I was a little disappointed. I purchased the Olive auto warranty on the same day that I took the car to the dealership. However, the dealership had my vehicle abnormally long. They had it for nine days. They hadn't even looked at my vehicle because they were backed up. I didn't know what was wrong with my car because it doesn't tell you all that. Once they were finally able to tell me what the issues were with the vehicle and I called to file a claim, Olive said that they considered it a pre-existing condition before I had the policy, even though it didn't even get looked at till Day Eight to even tell me what was wrong with it that they weren't going to honor that.

It was a little tough pill to swallow knowing that it was an abnormal situation. I totally get it if it was one of those things where on the same day that I signed up for the service, they were able to tell me for sure what was wrong with it and then they started working on it. That has nothing to do with them. But they weren't sure what was wrong with it until much later because the dealership was backed up. So it just didn't matter. They didn't cover anything. I live on the West Coast and when I signed up with Olive, I didn't realize that they were on East Coast time. So, it might be a little bit more difficult to get in contact with somebody because this is probably close to them closing. It's a different situation and it’s hard. I'm trying to give Olive a little bit of a benefit of the doubt, but it hasn't been a great experience so far.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

The reason we chose Olive was that the reviews were good. Also, they seemed very reasonable. I wanted to know what the coverage would cover and when we applied on their site, they gave us options and they showed us how much we would pay for the different sets of coverage, which is very useful when you're trying to do that. Signing up was super easy and I appreciated that they haven't really bugged me. They sent me my paperwork but they haven't sent me flyers. I don't seem to have been put on some sort of mailing list. I would recommend them.

olive response
    Hello Johanna, thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate that you recommend us! Cheers! Welcome to the olive family.

Lori at olive

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

The signup was very easy. I did everything through their website and it was very easy to navigate and understand. The fine print is also easy to understand, which is typically what's important in the thing.

olive response
    Hello Cesar, thanks for the review and your five stars. We are glad to hear getting your policy was so easy for you. Welcome to the olive family!

olive Company Information