3.00/5
Based on 24 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Planet Honda

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 23, 2017

32 Planet Honda Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Went to purchase a new 2017 Honda HRV on September 20. The vehicle we wanted was at another dealer so they went to get it. Fours later, they called and said they had the vehicle. When we arrived at the dealer, I noticed the new vehicle sticker missing. The manufactured date was December, 2016. When we went to the paperwork, the mileage was 590. They attempted to sell a used car as new. They ran our credit anyway, so we took a hard hit. We asked to retract it and they would not do it.

Original review: March 4, 2017

Walk in to purchase a new car and was greeted with the utmost salesmanship from our sale man Carlos. Crisp senior sales consultant with excellent knowledge in getting us the best deal and saving us a lot of money. He worked with us with excellence and helping us to make the deal with wanted to get done. Thumbs up to him. He was and is a great asset to Planet Honda dealership in his full helpfulness in all fields. Thank you for all you have to help us.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Upon arriving to Planet Honda, who we have worked with for the past 3 years, we walked in needing a brand new car. My parents and I were recommended to go to the Sales Representative Carlos **. Although he was busy with another family he told us he would be right with us which he was. After talking to us and hearing us out on our situation he proceeded to ask what kind of car we wanted and my mom said she wanted a white CR-V that she viewed outside and he said he would do everything in his power to get us this car or something better.

After he asked for some information from my mom she signed some papers and he came back to us with good news into a CRV that has a lot of things in it that our previous car did not. Although it was not white, it was blue when my mom saw the car and sat inside of it she fell in love was nothing but happy. Walking back into the dealership Mr. ** had asked how the car was and she said it was beautiful and just for her.

She mentioned that he said he was going to do everything in his power to get us out of the dealers with a brand new car and he did. It is almost a month with this car and it has been nothin but good to us and there has been no issues being brand new. We would like to thank Mr. ** again for being the go to point person to help us in achieving this new Honda CR-V.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

As an accommodation the director of the Planet Honda service department, Kelvin, said he would as gesture of good will sell a replacement tire at dealer cost. While waiting I checked the web for pricing and found the very same tire at a price lower than quote "dealer cost". There is no way that dealer cost should be higher than a retailer. If, you are an honest dealer, you do not tell a customer you are offering them an accommodation when you are not.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

My salesman Carlos ** really helped me out with purchasing my new 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport. He let me take my time and led me to the best choice I have ever made in purchasing a vehicle. Thank you Planet Honda but most of all Carlos **!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Honda?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

If you are going to Planet Honda in Union please stay away from team Francis ** and Sue **. This team are very aggressive to robbing your pocket. I lost over 10k make deal with this team. I NEVER WILL BE BACK TO PLANET HONDA in Union NJ.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

Customer service and business setup was perfect and well organized. Friendly family people who will go out of the way to make sure you are happy with what you want and make sure you're driving home happy with an new ride. THEY ARE THE BEST!!!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

I just bought a 2016 Honda CRV from Ed ** at Planet Honda in Union, NJ. Ed was very knowledgeable, professional, and helpful. I got a great price on my trade-in and new car purchase. I would definitely return to Planet Honda when looking for another car. Great dealership. Great prices. Ed made my car-buying experience very easy and stress-free. Thanks Ed and Planet Honda!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

Had a great experience at Planet Honda!! Great customer service! By far the best and most friendliest car dealership I have stepped in! Thank you to all the Planet Honda staff, and to Carlos for all his help and exceptional customer service!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

I found everyone at the dealership to be polite and pleasant to deal with. The salesperson, Anthony **, was very polite and accommodating. A salesperson in training, Roy, was also very polite and helpful. We had a quote from another dealer and Planet Honda was able to match it, with more features as well. Very satisfied with the experience.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

My wife recently not only wanted to purchase a new vehicle but also wanted to improve her credit score, so we decided to buy a 2016 Honda CRV. We live in Rahway, New Jersey and hence shopped all the Honda dealerships within 25 miles of our location. We visited a couple of the dealerships and rest we interacted via phone and internet. The one place that stood out right from the start was Planet Honda because they were not afraid to quote me a price on the phone, compared to another dealership on Route 22 who kept on insisting they would beat their competitors pricing but refused to quote their own. The sales agent/manager (Mr. Kaleem **) who dealt with us was on point and did not waste my time on games and frivolous things. He was very friendly but direct and answered all my questions and addressed all my concerns.

I am not a person who is easily impressed and do my own homework too especially before a big purchase. Mr. Kaleem ** was knowledgeable and courteous throughout the process and did not rush us during the whole time. When the deal was finally struck he took us both to the cafe that is located in the dealership and bought us coffee and pastries and sat down with us while we enjoyed the snacks. Both my wife and I tremendously enjoyed the stress free experience of purchasing a new vehicle and even have had the pleasure of getting our first free oil change at the dealership. I certainly take time to give credit where it is due and already have recommended this dealership generally and Mr. ** specifically to family and friends. By the way we have been getting steady compliments on our new vehicle as well.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

My salesman Carlos ** was great. He got me the car I wanted with all the amenities and more. From picking out the color to the interior features. Carlos helped throughout the whole process.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I purchased a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe and I was extremely pleased with the service... I called just about pricing and spoke with Khalida who was very helpful and upfront about the options available. She placed me with the used sales department that turned into me leaving the same day with a new car. I had to put little money down with very affordable monthly payments. I would absolutely refer a friend or two to Planet for their next car purchase.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I was referred to Planet Honda by the VIP manager Kathy to purchase a vehicle after my Ford started giving up on me. This is Honestly one of my best experiences I've had at a car dealership after being with Ford for over 20 years and purchasing a vehicle from Toyota. Not only was she extremely knowledgeable but my salesperson Stephen ** and the general sales manager Eddie ** was also. Everything was seamless and I was in and out within 3 hours on a busy Saturday afternoon. I would definitely recommend anyone that I know to purchase a vehicle from there. I am the proud owner of a 2016 CR-V SE.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I recently leased my Honda Accord from Planet Honda. My salesman's name is Frank **. I was in a financed Accord that I had bought from another Honda dealership. I was not happy with my Accord and wanted out of it. So I went to Planet Honda to see my options. Once there, I was approached by Frank ** and from the moment he greeted me he was very pleasant and made me feel comfortable. Didn't pressure me but did find ways to help me instead of ripping me off. He appraised my Accord and somehow some way got me out of that financed vehicle into a new 2017 Accord Ex-L. Paying the same as I was paying on my finance... I was ecstatic!!!

I couldn't believe he took me out of a base Accord 2015 into this brand new vehicle and the best of all same payment and it was loaded. I will be back once my 3 years are up and see Frankie again!!! I'm pretty sure not everyone there is as bad as I am reading these reviews from Planet Honda. Just make sure you see Frankie... I promise you... you'll be in good hands!!!

Original review: July 25, 2016

When I signed the agreement to purchase my car, I thought that I was buying a 2015 Honda Accord. When the salesman, Cristen, called Geico he told them I purchased a 2014 car. Since I could not start looking for another car, I was stuck with the 2014. Never, ever, buy a car from Planet Honda. I also told them, "Take the name Planet Honda off the license plate holder.

Original review: April 22, 2016

We had a bad experience with Planet Honda, Union, NJ. We owned and leased Honda cars for 22 years and we never had problems with returning a car. We leased a Honda Civic 2013 in a different dealership and decided to return to Planet Honda and lease a new 2016 Honda Civic. While signing all the paperwork, our salesman, his name is Jesus ** asked my husband if we want to pay for extra miles and we agreed to pay the same day. Few weeks later we received a bill from Honda Finance that we have to pay for our miles. I called the dealership where we returned the car and they said we never paid it. I have a copy of the paper where shows that we paid but the paper does not specifically says that we paid for extra miles. Now I am lost and I don't know how to get money back.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I purchase a new car from this dealer this month and it was the worst experience ever in my life. They went back on their words so many times and I was made to sit for hours without being attended. Only mistake I did was put in a deposit and I was threatened I have to forfeit it if I don't agree to their terms. Sales manager Sal couldn't have been any more rude. He used not so pleasant words and said, "I was trying to be cute with him". No way a customer should be treated. Horrible experience. If you can read this review and decide not to buy your car from here, you have saved yourself from embarrassment. Beware!!! Even if they give it in writing, do not believe it as they tackle teams and get away with it.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2015

Internet price was far from what dealer charged. Planet Honda added dealer trim package (non-negotiable). Charged $129 for nitrogen in tires -- non-negotiable! Worse, salesman told my wife and son the 2014 Accord had a NAV system -- it DID NOT. Yes, shame on me for not checking on his comment -- we were in a hurry -- but the salesman should not have said it was included. Dealer tried to charge an add'l >$300 for key replacement package we did not want. That was a fight. Finally, dealer did not meet commitment to deliver plates and registration, and would not allow me to do it myself. Dealer "policy" required they get the extra $600 for plates and reg. Strongly urge you to avoid them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

I'm not sure what pisses me off more, the fact that Planet Honda on Route 22, New Jersey will do ANYTHING for a sale or the fact that I had to give a 1 star rating opposed to no star at all which is what the company deserves. My salesman lied to the lending company regarding my monthly pay just to get an approval. I wanted to lease a vehicle and the manager, Won, told me I was approved, yet he had me sign paperwork for a finance account which I didn't notice until after signing (I should have read the paperwork in its entirety).

I'm Active Duty military and I NEED HELP because of FALSE information the salesman and 2 managers gave me. I now have to go overseas but the company will not take the vehicle back. Honda Financial Services will not allow me to take the vehicle overseas without making 6 advanced monthly payments, and the President of the dealership won't make a phone call on my behalf to get the payment requirement waived. I can't even take the vehicle overseas for my next assignment. This is how HONDA thanks veterans for their service, with no assistance.

I'd rather walk to Syria with an American Flag tied around my neck than do business with Planet Honda of Route 22 in New Jersey or purchase a Honda vehicle ever again. BTW, I haven't even owned this brand new 2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 for 2 months yet. This has been an unpleasant experience but at least I learned a valuable lesson when it comes to dealing with scum. Advice:

1. Use your cell phone to record and time stamp your conversation with the anyone that works at the dealership.
    2. Get everything in writing and if they refuse to put it in writing, WALK AWAY.
    3. Read everything carefully.

4. Don't go to Route 22 Planet Honda in Union, NJ.

Original review: March 6, 2015

When I first leased my 2014 Honda Accord, I had a pleasant experience the date of sale. I came in for an oil change and was told by the manager ** since I did not have an appt (btw its 7AM) I would have wait at least 2 hours. I was not happy at all especially having to hit the road to go to North Carolina for a family emergency. I did let him know this and he expedited my request (thank you **). ** was not the problem. My problem is the fact that I haven't even been leasing this car for 2 years and I was told I am laying for this oil change.

On the day I leased I was told free oil changes for the 3 years I am leasing. Had I known I would have to pay for an oil change, I would have gone around the corner from my house and instead of waiting over an hour I would wait 20 minutes max! These people paint such a pretty picture for you when you're about to sign the contract. This is the 2nd unpleasant experience I've had with Planet Honda. I don't plan on staying.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

Well after being misled by Rafael ** from a $500 monthly payment to a $650 monthly payment! I was told 500 the first day and being that I didn't have the full deposit that day I was able to go home in a 2012 Crosstour and come back 2 days later to bring the remaining balance and finish off my paperwork. So I’m sitting with the very pleasant Levi from finance. And he’s going through the details and says 650. Right away I had him contact Rafael. Which agreed he had said 500 at first.

So at this point I’m ready to blow a gasket and mentioned several times I wanted to cancel and I’m not signing nothing. To make a long story short. This technique of scamming people into "deals" is absurd. Obviously they let me walk away thinking one thing as a happy new driver of a newer vehicle. Yet 2 days later they hit you with different numbers knowing that consumers are liking their new purchase and will majority of the time continue with the process like myself. But I did not settle for 650, instead I walked with a 580 monthly payment which is manageable but insane.

I thought Route 22 Honda was bad; Planet Honda stole the cookies with this 1. Not even Superman in their commercials can save them. Rafael ** lacks communication skills and just uses evasive and manipulative words to distract buyers from the money part of things. Of course it’s all nice and dandy at first trying to convince you to test drive a car without even explaining numbers or running your credit. Once they see your interest level in a car they have got you. ** service was horrible/rude/and at times gave off bad body language after I brought up certain questions pertaining to payments and APR.

After this disaster of day! I figured I would ask for some new Honda carpets or some kind of goodbye gift. So I asked Jaime, I don’t know what’s his role in all of this. I asked Jaime for some kind of "sorry for the inconvenience gift”, and needless to say I walked out of the place with a key chain. I will never ever recommend anyone to any of the Honda dealers on Route 22. Rafael ** gets a thumbs down from me if I can rate this less than a star I would! And I will continue to leave bad ratings for this steal(deal)ership and **. Any questions feel free to contact me! Honda! You have all my info!

Original review: June 20, 2014

I recently released a new Honda civic with them. I was told by Nicoletta and Augy that I would be help with the over mileages I made on my lease. I was contacted by Nicolleta and I had let Nicolleta know that I was coming up to the end of my lease and she had asked me if I was over miles. I let her know that I was. She told me that would help me out to come to the dealer to work it out and she would work out a deal with me. I came in a couple of times to work out deals and every time I let them know I was over miles $674 worth. I went to finally make the deal. I was told in front of witnesses that planet Honda will take over the excess mileage... Made the deal that was in March. Now in June, I'm getting sent to collections regarding the over mileage and now that was in March, I made the deal now in June. I'm getting charged with a bill of $674. I call back my dealer to see whats going on, they will not help me out saying that I signed papers 3 years that I was take the responsibility. I thought the whole thing of me coming back as a loyal customer was for them to help me and why did they.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2012

Traded in my lease SUV to finance a new Minivan in 2010. Dealership did not pay the balance to my lease car until 6 months after and damaged my Credit History. GM too busy to apologize. 2012 - Tried to lease an Accord. Advertisement said $169/month $0 down. Ended up with a Civic $204/month with $1000 down. Not happy, returned the car less than 24 hours, put in less than 6 miles in the odometer, car was never in my auto insurance policy. Dealership won't return down payment and threatening to pull a REPO on me if I don't take the car home.

Original review: July 27, 2007

I had an oil change done at Planet Honda on Saturday, 7/21/07. I had a perfectly operating hood prior to this oil change. On Tuesday night, 7/24/07, I noticed that my hood was ajar. I opened the hood and closed it and it would not slam shut. I called Honda on Wednesday and told them the hood was not closing AFTER my oil change on 7/21/07. They told me to bring it in on Friday morning, 7/27/07, at 8. I was told the cable had broken and it needed to be replaced. I stated that this had only been the case AFTER the oil change. The service attendant had the gall to tell me that I have 100,000 miles and it was a COINCIDENCE that the cable broke at the same time as my oil change. He said this could be from repeated opening and closing of the hood. The hood of the car has definitely NOT been repeatedly opened and closed.

I have had other cars and know that the hood will close correctly for the life of the car - UNLESS you are in an accident or perhaps a mechanic has opened the hood too far. I complained and he said I needed to speak with the manager. The manager insisted the cable broke by itself but would give me 10% off!!! Why would he give me 10% off - if the cable spontaneously broke all by itself. I was charged $200 to my disbelief. I saw an article that Bob Ciasulli does not charge when a repair is not done correctly the first time and a person needs to return. I would doubt he would want someone to pay when Honda themselves broke something and I had to return and sit in the waiting room for 2 and a half hours. I have been a good customer - I bought 2 cars there and other family members have bought cars there. I find it unbelievable that they would want a good customer to pay for something that Honda broke.

Original review: May 14, 2007

I bought a HOnda CRV from Planet Honda. They charged more money for the registration and plates. I had complained against this to the consumer affairs in New Jersey. But after one year, my case did not resolve. How long do I have to wait? I trust in this agency. But my faith is gone. Please review my case. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2005

This is about Planet Honda and sales manager Shawn ** and their deceptive selling practices. My FICO score is over 800 and I make over 100,000 US dollars annually. This is about what transpired on the evening of 11/17/2005. I agreed to purchase 2006 Accord, VIN # **. The entire amount of the transaction, $17992.16, was approved through my credit union, but because of draft, Mr. ** refused the credit union draft and asked me to finance the WHOLE amount through Honda Credit, which again was approved and I did not have any problem. I did the entire negotiation thru internet and was told to come down to the dealership on 11/15/2005 to sign the paperwork, which my schedule did not allow.

So I was told to put down a deposit of $2500 on credit card, which I was told that once I get there, will be credited back to the card since the whole amount was financed and approved. After we sign the initial paper work and when we were at finance manager Danny ** desk, we were told that my $2500 was a down payment. So I argued that if the whole amount is financed, why I need to put a down payment. So, I was told to talk to Mr. ** and at that time, Mr. ** got very rude even though I was politely trying to ask why I need to put down payment when TWO different banks approved the whole loan. He would not answer the question, instead kept telling me that it was a down payment.

So at that time, I told him that I would cancel the whole deal if he did not credit my credit card. As I was walking to my sales person Tom, Tom said that the money was for to reserve the car, and it is Planet Honda's policy to take 10% down payment from every customer, which I replied that I am asked to put more than 10%, and Tom said, pointing at the Planet Honda's paperwork that it states at least 10% and there is no maximum. At that time, Mr. ** started screaming in front of everybody, "Why is that man still here? I want him to leave." All this time, he had papers in his hand and he was pointing at me. He also kept yelling and screaming that "I am losing MONEY on this deal and I do not want him here." I asked my salesperson about some kind of proof that my 2500 dollars was credited back, and I was told that it will NOT be credited back, and instead I will have to wait for a check. So does this make sense to you?

1) Even though the total amount is financed and approved, a customer MUST PUT AT LEAST 10% DOWN? 2) Why WASTE everybody's time? If you LOSE money, say no from the beginning, rather than waiting until the end then hassle the customer. 3) WHENEVER SALES MANAGER LIKE MR. ** FEELS LIKE IT CAN CANCEL THE DEAL AFTER SIGNED CONTRACTS AND TELL THE CUSTOMER TO GET OUT WITHOUT ANY LEGITIMATE REASON? If Planet Honda really believes in their customer service, fire Shawn **. I am a Pharmacy Manager at one of the Fortune 500 Company and I know what we are taught, even if a customer is wrong, we are trained how to take care of them. Definitely NOT to SCREAM at them, especially when that customer is polite and quite.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2005

We purchased a Honda Civic brand new in 2003. We also purchased a package for oil changes with their service dept. We have taken our car there for all services. Several months ago one of the tires went bad so I purchased two new tires that they put on the front end and the older ones on back. I also had them tint the windows about a month after this at a cost of 200.00 dollars. After I picked up my car I noticed that there were air pockets on all the windows. I took it back, there were three more attempts to tint them correctly... to no avail, the tray in the back window was damaged in this fiasco, which they were aware of.

A few months passed I finally called the service dept. and asked to speak with a manager, the person that answered the phone stated he was a manager (Jeff) and to bring the car in to get fixed, he stated that person who tinted the windows no longer worked for them, and that I might as well get my 30,000 mi service at that time (my mileage was 27,000). I said fine, so when I took my car to drop it off he said "oh you want your 30,000 mi service" I was like DUH... So he stated the cost for the service was 400.00 and some change. I said "whatever" not realizing we had paid for oil changes at the purchase of the car.

When I picked up the car they said "the windows look odd right now but should be fine", they gave me the list of what they said was done for the four hundred and something, I paid the bill and left. Four days later I notice that my wheels had not been rotated like they stated on paper, I know this because of the two new tires I purchased there a few months before were still on the back, so now of course I'm wondering what else they didn't do for my four hundred dollars. I feel this company is deceptive and will take their customers for all they can. Thank you for listening.

Original review: April 8, 2005

I bought a 2001 V6 Honda Accord in November 2000. 45,000 miles later my transmission went. Honda made me pay $900.00 to fix the car. I later found out there was a recall on the transmission, and I received my money back. 45,000 miles later my transmission broke again. Now Planet Honda refuses to fix it. This has occurred twice and they just don’t care. Now I can't get to work. I don't know what to do because I don't have the money to fix the car.

Original review: March 17, 2005

I had an agreement to buy a Honda Accord from Planet Honda and gave them a $1,000.00 deposit on a red 2002 model (to hold the car). They sold the car within 3 days of giving the deposit. They sold the car that I had a deposit on, even though I was already approved for a car loan and attempted to set up a meeting to finalize the deal. They told me several different lies as to why the car was sold. To make matters worse they did not return my deposit in a timely manner, and did so only after numerous calls by me to return my money. It took ten days to receive the deposit back (Planet Honda did not start the refund process until at least 5 days after I requested them to do so). Also, Planet Honda cancelled several meetings to finalize the deal (before the car was sold), causing me to have to make numerous adjustments to my work schedule.

Planet Honda Company Information