Call toll free
4.16/5

Great Neck, NY

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Estabilished in 1999, Auto Expo is the ultimate luxury pre-owned car buying experience specializing in all makes and models. Our goal is to provide excellent Customer Service.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Auto Expo Reviews

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Several weeks ago, I was contacted by Auto Expo regarding an internet inquiry I had mad to one of the auto websites. When I was contacted by Auto Expo, I spoke to Vertulie, one of the location managers. I explained to her that at the time I was not in the market for an expensive vehicle and I explained to her that I had a number of issues which I wanted to ensure was placed on the table in full and open disclosure.

I explained that after checking my credit it was not the greatest and that I had a prior charge-off on my report. I explained further that I did not want to waste anyone's time as well as my own time so I wanted to work with someone who had a high credit acceptance rating for people with fair credit. Vertulie assured me that she would be able to get me approved but I would have to go to the dealership. Now, I live in New Jersey and the dealer is located in Great Neck, NY. So, I set my skepticism aside and made the appointment and went.

When I got to the dealership I was greeted by the receptionist who informed me that Vertulie was not in, however, she had a salesperson who could help me; she handed me over to David ** who gathered all my documents and started the paperwork process. I explained my situation to David and explained that Vertulie guaranteed approval. He stated that he did not know what she was talking about but he could not guarantee approval. He stated that best we could do is try a credit application. I agreed and he submitted the application the the finance manager.

While I waited I asked David if I could be taken to the lot to see the cars he had. Instead of escorting me out to the lot and giving me a tour, he stated to me; "you can go outside on your own and check out the cars we have, we have cars on the left side of the door and some of the right side but you should check on the left first." I didn't feel comfortable going outside alone as I had no idea what I would be looking at in the lot. So, I just waited there with David. About 15 minutes later he came back and told me that I would have to wait until Monday or Tuesday because the banks were not open on Sunday and I needed to get approved first. This was the first hint to me that this was shady business.

When I was leaving David told me to go online and look at the cars I would be interested in and send it back to him with stock numbers. He assured me that he would get me approved for something. I reached out to David late Monday and he advised me that he was still working on the deal; for a few days I did not hear from David. When I finally reached out he stated that my income was not sufficient, so I questioned him because I earn roughly $80 - 100k per year. He stated that my paystubs didn't reflect the salary and I needed to provide additional information. Becoming more skeptical I submitted documentation of my supplemental income.

By Tuesday afternoon of the following week, I was approved. He told me that I was however, ONLY approved for a Mercedes Benz C300. He told me the reason why I was being approved for that car is because it holds more value so it's a better vehicle. I was too sure about that, however, I said, "Okay great". He asked me to go online and find C300's that would interest me. I immediately went online and found 3 C300's. I submitted them. Several days later I was told that they were sold. From this point forward, every car I selected was either sold or not "approved". All the vehicles I selected were in the price range he gave me as a reference.

This being said, I started to realize that every vehicle that David presented to me was either one that was out of my taste, or one with high mileage. Every vehicle that I selected he rejected and then sent me others that were higher mileage. After going back and forth for a while I found one that was perfect for me and within the price range. The vehicle was about $2700 more sticker price than the others he sent me previously. It was also extremely low mileage and it was perfect for me. I asked David to have the inventory price adjusted to the price of the cars that I lost since he inconvenienced me with his lack of communication the previous two weeks. He said he would call me on Friday afternoon to confirm and I did not receive the call as he stated. He also failed to follow up with me on other matters.

Today, I called him since he missed the call on Friday to tell him that I would be coming down because I was ready to drive. He immediately messaged me back and told me that I should wait because he was awaiting approval for the BMW I wanted. 15 minutes later I was told by David that I was not approved for that car. David told me "I can ONLY help you with a C300. That's it". He sent me another C300 with high mileage and told me that would be my only choice.

Becoming more angry and frustrated I immediately told him that I was no longer interested in the car and I wanted to have my info removed from their system because at this point I felt as though he blatantly thought I was an idiot; well I take that back, he actually did call me an idiot in his text messages to me. I felt as though throughout the entire process I was being played for a fool. For David to tell me that he was trying to help me, by selling me a vehicle I did not want was even more absurd and disrespectful. Let's be for real, the ONLY person he was helping was himself.

What really makes no sense to me in this entire ordeal is the fact that I was ready to sign and drive. The only thing that David would've had to do was negotiate the sticker price of the vehicle $2700. For a place that coins themselves on the service they provide, this service was the worst I have ever experienced. The text message exchange between David and myself was rather unprofessional. David began using CAPS, he made fun of my credit rating as if to say this is why you can't get approved, he made remarks about seeing me soon as to insinuate a fight. David is the most unprofessional sales person I have met at a dealership. David has 100% confirmed what car salesman are like. Dishonest and unprofessional at its best. I have weeks of text messages to add to this thread so that the arrogance of this individual can be made public. Worst experience ever.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Alright, to keep this short. I contacted Auto Expo about a car I saw on their site. They called me and text me about purchasing a vehicle often after that, bombarded me with text messages and we spoke about pricing, down payments. I gave them all my info and I was assured that my down payment would be zero for the exact car I was looking for. (I have the messages to prove it) I finally take the time off of work and go down there after asking them not to waste my time because it would cost me money to go meet them. I get there and all of the things we spoke about were out the window. The down payment was going to be a couple thousand now. Also they tried to put me in a more expensive car that I wasn’t interested in.

Once I heard the monthly payment was going to be almost double what I had initially been told, I decided to leave. I was contacted the very next day and told that I could get the car I originally wanted, also at a monthly price more reasonable. I go back down there and I’m told that there is a program where they pay the difference between my agreed upon price and what the actual monthly cost is. Fast forward, the payment date was approaching and it took me countless text messages and calls to get them to transfer the money for the payments as part of this “program”. Unanswered text messages from the finance manager, the salesperson stayed In touch but had no way of getting the finance guy to contact me until 2 days before the payment date followed by an excuse about it being overlooked even though I’ve been contacting them about it for over 2 weeks.

Now after 3 months of payments they said we refinance and the monthly payment will go down to the agreed upon monthly price. I’ve made the 3rd months payment and now we’re back to the unanswered text messages and the salesman telling me that I should try to refinance on my own, saying that the finance guy is busy and he’s reminding me to contact him. I’ve reached out to him and now I’m stuck with this extremely high monthly payment. I basically was told anything to get the sale at the last minute. First time buying a car and now left to deal with everything on my own because I'm getting the runaround. Never again.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Zero stars if I could... I purchased a 2004 Grand Cherokee from these dudes... The 1st 2 vehicles they sent me home in were completely broken to the point where I had to have work done just to drive them back... The one I ended up getting stuck with needed about $4000 in work right off the bat (I paid $3990) and was broken down and in the shop at least once a month for the year I had it. I tried to get my money back before I put myself in debt making it roadworthy, they wouldn't even consider it. I was just stuck with the ** they polished for me. Altogether between buying the jeep, fixing the jeep, and the tolls driving out to this chop shop 4 times to try and get in a decent one I spent just under $14 grand. These guys have no conscious. I write this just to keep someone else from getting raked over the coals the way I did...

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

This dealer posts non existent Jeeps at prices they don't even have any Jeeps for. They had 44 Jeeps for sale on several different auto sales sites as well as their own. Postings say to check availability but they do not respond when you try. Seeing as they had so many in our price range for a new driver, we knew we'd find at least a couple to choose from, and planned to go home with one. Not one of the listings existed and we were confronted by a very rude salesman who peeled out of the lot in one of the sale cars after talking with us. Drove 1 1/2 hours each way. Total waste of time and so frustrating that they are in business. Would give no star if possible.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Auto Expo Great Neck - If I could give no stars I would for such poor everything that has anything to do with this dealership. The Unprofessionalism at this place is at a all time high, from the service to the sales representatives to the floor manager. I went to this dealership to purchase a Corvette, the first sales rep had no idea what he was doing and knew nothing about the cars on his inventory. I requested another sales representative and I was referred to another rep which was just as bad if not worst. However, I was interested in the car, it was listed for a decent price. I put a thousand dollar hold on the car (on Tuesday) in which I was Guaranteed it will be held until Sunday which was my purchase date.

I called the dealership with a private number to inquire about the car under a different alias to see how this dealership operates, I was told to come on down. (Be mindful when these guys' interest is with someone else purchasing they will ignore you.) The sales rep finally answered and I asked, “Are you guys going to sell my car?” He said no. I called later on with a question about the car and I was told by the front desk the car is sold. I requested a manager, He took the call and said, "Someone out of town offered more money Approximately $4000 more than the listed price so we went with him." Even though I put the 1000 dollar hold on the Vehicle, and had the audacity to say, "If you match him we will sell it to you."

Currently I am trying to retrieve my deposit money and there is no one to be found. They are refusing to refund my money. The car is still up as available for purchase. I feel great knowing Auto Expo missed out on a guaranteed sale. I found a way better. This dealership is a complete rip off. Save your money and energy. Full of money hungry scammers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Auto Expo?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I had a very great experience, while purchasing a vehicle for my mom at this dealership. After talking with David, I made an appointment to test drive and purchase a vehicle. What I love most about purchasing my car from Auto Expo is that the employees truly care about making sure that their customers leave with a smile on their faces. The sales team is very friendly and were more than willing to answer any questions that I had.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I called a few weeks ago and spoke with Steven about a 2014 BMW 335i M Sport. I gave him the stock # and described in detail the interior of the vehicle I called about so there would be no confusion (I must have the burled wood trim) and asked him to come to an agreement with me re a final price since I live in NC and can't stop in to do so. He stated he could not talk numbers over the phone and he could not run my credit in advance either, I had to come in (Bianca stated this also). I was stunned and asked him how he expected me to fly (or drive over 8 hrs) to purchase the vehicle with no clue as to what I'd actually be paying OR what interest rate I'd be offered.

He responded that's what everyone does but I shouldn't worry because he'd make sure I left happy and in the car I wanted and since he deals with 120 banks I'd be happy with my rate. So me and a friend purchase 2 tickets to NY for the SOLE purpose of me buying this car. Then yesterday when we arrived they bring around a car that... wait for it... isn't the car I came for. The interior is different (chrome/silver trim instead of burled wood) and so is the exterior trim. I point this out and assume the wrong car was brought around accidentally but no such luck. Steven takes us inside (as he calls someone on his cell and speaks in a different language) and says repeatedly he doesn't see what the problem is, it's the same car except for the trim.

I sit there in astonishment and explain it's NOT the same car BECAUSE of the trim yet he looks at me like I'm growing 3 heads in front of him. Told me in a sarcastic tone that "People come and go here all day long" (insinuating I'm irrelevant and can leave) before retrieving someone in charge who passed the buck to the people posting the cars on the sites. I could tell by Steven's attitude & demeanor he had done this with intent and had counted on me just purchasing another similar car when the one I flew in for wasn't available. The manager asked if I wanted to purchase the car and when I stated I did not he shrugged his shoulders like "Oh well, I guess we're done here" and said they'd refund the $500 deposit I'd made to hold the car on Monday (today).

People PLEASE don't deal with this establishment, as I type this there are THREE white BMW 335i M Sports cars posted on their site with the EXACT same interior photos (& some identical exterior photos). You can tell all 3 cars have the photos of ONE car b/c there's a spill on the back seat in the same spot on every one of them. These shady people just costed me over $650 (& my friend $180) and they acted like it was just another day at the office for them.

Auto Expo response

Good Afternoon Alisha,

I speak for the entire dealership staff when I express how sorry we are to hear that you are not completely satisfied with your recent car shopping experience here ate Auto Expo. Our dealership is committed to providing an exceptional buying experience, every time, and that always begins with great customer service.

The confusion that occurred stems from the fact that we have been phasing in improvements to our website, and we have been working intently with our webmaster to ensure that glitches have all been cleared up. If you visit our site today, you will see many changes to the car details page. During the transition to the new site platform, we had cars showing up that shouldn't and cars that should were absent. These issues were systemic, and affected referral sites like eBay, Truecar, and CarGurus. To add to the confusion, we had an intern who uploaded the images incorrectly. This error was corrected within 48 hours, however. Not that you or our circumstance should be minimized in any way, but we felt obliged to share these circumstances with you candidly so that you understand more fully that we in no manner, shape or form had any intention of misleading you or any other prospective customer.

We have tried to contact you but to no avail. Auto Expo was completely unaware of the problem until you pointed it out. Everything was corrected shortly after your visit, thank you again for bringing it to our attention.

The sales team gave you the information they believed was accurate. Our previous experience has allowed to rely on the information provided on the website with the knowledge the information provided was never more than 1 business day old.We have recently instituted a requirement, due in no small part to your particular situation, to require our sales team do a virtual walk throughs for out-of-towners using Facetime or Google hangouts to show customers the EXACT VEHICLE EQUIPMENT without having to drive a long distance. We have done a few, and they have received incredibly positive feedback.

We would again like to express our deepest regret for the circumstances surrounding your "less than perfect' experience here at Auto Expo. Please let me know what I can do personally to enrich your experience here at Auto Expo. We are confident that can get the vehicle you want if you would only contact us. If we succeed in convincing you to give us the opportunity to serve you, we will happily reimburse you for travel expenses for your return trip to our dealership.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss the details further. We look forward to serving you and regaining your trust and confidence.

Regards,

Scott Silver | Marketing Director
46 Northern Blvd. Great Neck, NY 11021

Office/Fax | 516.539.3260 | www.autoexpo4.com | Scott@autoexpo1.com

Original review: April 25, 2017

I've bought from Auto Expo twice before. This time I went with the ML350 Benz. I had a BMW and then decided that I needed to trade it. I like it, but it's a lot of expense. When I bought it, the mileage was over 50, so there was no warranty on it. This time with the ML350 Benz, I bought coverage for it. Financing the car was very fast and easy maybe because I traded in my car. The salesman and the people there were very nice and helpful.

Auto Expo response

Thank you for the positive review. Sorry for the late response but we just got access to this to respond to. Enjoy your new car.

Original review: April 22, 2017

The Mercedes E350 2014 model that I got from Auto Expo is in great condition. Alfonso, the rep who helped me out, was very helpful, very nice and calm. He took the time out to work with me and made me feel I’m welcome. They were nice and polite. Also, the financing has been an easy and fast process. Before I bought the car, I started it to check it out. I got to test drive it as well. I had a great time at Auto Expo and have told people about it.

Original review: April 29, 2017

When I was shopping around for a car that was in-stock and available, someone mentioned that they went to Auto Expo before and that it was an okay place to do business with. So I did a trade-in with them, but I double checked the value online so I knew they weren't ripping me. The numbers were pretty close, so I felt that the value of that trade-in was fine. I also looked at other cars before I made a final decision. When I was at their location, they were very busy and yet they worked with me. Their sales rep has been knowledgeable about the car and it took just a couple of hours for everything to be processed.

Although when I was with the car, it was pretty late in the day and apparently, the system shut down while they were getting my paperwork so they said they would email it to me. But it’s way too long for them to get my paperwork to me. They should have gotten to me the next day instead of a few weeks later. But other than that, the whole experience has been fine.

Auto Expo Company Information