Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.67/5
Based on 211 reviews that contain star ratings

Nissan Murano

The Nissan Murano is the company's first SUV crossover. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

287 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have a 2009 Murano with 95,000 thousand miles. At the time I experience my SUV not performing as it should so I take it to AAMCO just to check, now this is where my nightmare begins. It was stated to me to get rid of the SUV. The transmission is getting ready to go. It has a code coming from the engine that let you know that the transmission is bad.

Okay, I call Nissan Consumer Affairs. Now the SUV still has a warranty up to 120,000 thousand miles. So I was told to take it to a Nissan certified dealer and that's what I did. Service put in a new transmission so they say. Now I have been back since that time about four time with I believe to be an issue, but not Nissan. So now I'm afraid to ride my SUV to work because Firestone did a multi point inspection and the rear main seal is leaking oil and the right front seal is leaking oil. But Consumer Affairs and Nissan service say it not covered under warranty. So guess what. Come get your SUV. It's no good to me. I'm done with Nissan.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I bought Murano 2009 from a dealer. It made my life horrible. I have to replace, compressor, radiator, alternator and it had transmission issues. Not sure what to do with this. I spend around 2000 on this car. If I sell this car it will be a loss since it passed 100k miles. Just wanted to know any exchange offer is available with this car.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Paint is chipping all over my 2016 Nissan Murano. I took my car to a body shop and they let me know that this was abnormal chipping. I have compared my paint to many other vehicles that are the same color and even much older years, which none of them even come close to what my car looks like. I contacted Nissan and spoke with multiple people and the only information I received was that this was “rock chips” and they would not be doing anything about it.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Had the car 4 years. Got it brand new in 2014. Serviced it religiously at the dealer and always had the "inspection" done. Fast forward to 2018, check engine light is on. I'm at the stop light and the car jumps/slips, or stays on 10-20mph for a good 2 minutes, before revving to stay at 35-40mph. EXTREMELY dangerous when turning or doing anything. Got it checked it out by several mechanics, transmission specialists, a dealer and they all say the same thing - I need to replace the transmission ($3500 outside dealer-$5500 at the dealer).

Friends and family can't believe a transmission needs to be replaced at 4 years old. Heard about other Murano years having the same issue. I called Nissan HQ. Got transferred to "Consumer Affairs" who then tells me it's out of warranty - to take it to a dealer to get it diagnosis, and call back - saying they may be able to pay a portion. Having read all these reviews, sounds like Nissan is trying to downplay this dangerous issue. Mechanics outside Nissan won't touch it. Transmission specialists know Nissan's CVT issues and even Nissan is sending their labor to specialists. THIS IS A COVER UP AND A SCAM. IS NISSAN GOING BANKRUPT WITH THEIR CVT'S AND MAKING US PAY FOR IT? This is irresponsible and corrupt!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

A little about me and my experience. I bought my first Nissan Pathfinder in 1998 and since then have bought different Nissan SUV from one dealer in Miami. In last 20 years I have purchased about 5 to 6 vehicles from Nissan's. Thinking Nissan was a good product I bought a used 2009 Nissan Murano with 45000 miles 2015. To make long story short it started having problems with the transmission early 2016 took it to different mechanics which fixed everything besides the transmission. We finally took it the dealer which dx. Transmission problem but extended warranty had expired 6 months ago. Bottom line they don’t care if you're loyal customer. The Muranos from 2003 thru 2009 have CVT transmission problems and Nissan extended the warranty but I never received a letter or contact about this problem. I have learned from this encounter and will never buy Nissan again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Murano?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

SO, Nissan extended the CVT warranty to 10y/120K miles on the 2003-2010 Murano. However, I have a 2013 with only 48K miles on it and the CVT transmission has gone out and needs to be replaced. The dealer states the extended warranty does not cover this year, but I see reports from owners up to the 2018 model still having issues with this transmission. When the car is cold the transmission shifts fine. However, after it warms up, you will be sitting at a light or a stop sign and when you depress the accelerator the car barely moves. I have done some study on them and it only crawls forward due to the computer not sensing traction and is limiting the RPM from the motor. This is very dangerous if you need to get out of the way of an oncoming vehicle. It could get you, your passengers and the other vehicles occupants killed! You should not have to pay for this!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Obviously the transmission went on my 2009 Nissan Murano so that was replaced $2000 later. Now after getting my Murano back after almost two months I smell an awful burnt smell and that's the new issue... mind you I just bought this car 3 months ago!!! I will never ever buy a Nissan again!!! I’ve always had jeeps and they run amazing and never did I have these crazy problems. What a junk and omg how unaware I was to this...

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I bought a Nissan Murano 2017 last October. It’s only 10 months old. Recently I found some rust on the chrome bar around the side windows, I took it to the dealership in San Luis Obispo and after investigating it they decided there’s some “orange spots” because of the “environment fallout." After I contacted Consumer Affairs they said my warranty wouldn’t cover me because I live near the ocean and somehow my car was affected by the humidity. What an excuse...

NONE of the cars in my area have it. Why does only my car have orange rust spots? I hope they send someone to check out these “orange spots." After all, it’s 10 months old only. It has been an unhappy experience with Nissan, especially after owning 3 consecutive cars.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Bought 2011 Nissan Murano CVT brand new - one car owner and transmission went out. Warranty only good up to 100,000 miles. It won't accelerate after stopping then when you continue to push on the pedal it takes off exclusive. Nissan is not cooperating with getting the transmissions fixed at their cost. Just to bring it in to check the codes, they want 140.00 where the transmission shop charges nothing. I already know what's wrong with it. You get the rebuilt transmission from Nissan with no warranty so that tells you something too. Nissan is not a reputable car dealership. This should be a recall on ALL vehicles if they can't make the vehicles last long.

Original review: June 21, 2018

It is maintenance free and dependable choice. I like the gas mileage and feel very safe in this car. This meets all of my desires for technology and is very easy to drive. It meets all of my families needs in every way. Very comfortable ride, blind spot technology, navigation built in. Roomy and convenient. It is a great car to drive and has good visibility. Very satisfying and I would highly recommend this car.

Nissan Murano Company Information