1.69/5
Based on 203 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

279 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

Bought 2011 Nissan Murano CVT brand new - one car owner and transmission went out. Warranty only good up to 100,000 miles. It won't accelerate after stopping then when you continue to push on the pedal it takes off exclusive. Nissan is not cooperating with getting the transmissions fixed at their cost. Just to bring it in to check the codes, they want 140.00 where the transmission shop charges nothing. I already know what's wrong with it. You get the rebuilt transmission from Nissan with no warranty so that tells you something too. Nissan is not a reputable car dealership. This should be a recall on ALL vehicles if they can't make the vehicles last long.

Original review: June 21, 2018

It is maintenance free and dependable choice. I like the gas mileage and feel very safe in this car. This meets all of my desires for technology and is very easy to drive. It meets all of my families needs in every way. Very comfortable ride, blind spot technology, navigation built in. Roomy and convenient. It is a great car to drive and has good visibility. Very satisfying and I would highly recommend this car.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

When I'm stopped at a light or stop sign the car (2004 Nissan Murnao) all of a sudden will not hit the gas. It won't go anywhere. I push the gas and it's just sitting there in the middle of the road. All of a sudden gets a surge of power or gas and it almost hits a vehicle in front of me or I'm going across the road fixing to turn left into the other lane and a car coming almost hits me because the car stalls in the middle of the street and then gets a surge of power or gas and takes off. This is not right. This car should not be doing that. Many people has had this problem. It should be fixed by Nissan. This should be a RECALL.

Original review: May 9, 2018

2011 Nissan Murano - we bought this vehicle new and haven't had one regret. They've tried to buy it back from us for the last 4 years. My wife said she'll keep it till it totally conks out. It would be good to have a little better gas mileage, but we can live with it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The Nissan Murano Cabriolet looks great, comfortable seating, could be better on gas and steering wheel should have a better range. Overall, I really enjoy driving it, it's a head turner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Original review: May 3, 2018

I purchased my Murano in October 2008 for 1400 miles. Skip to 2018 and 140K miles later I can honestly say this has been the best car I’ve owned. Actually the only car I’ve owned since I used to lease cars. It has moved me from Texas to Florida, back to Texas, back to Florida then to Chicago and now to Philly. It gotten me through medical school, residency, weddings, births, divorce and deaths. She has been my partner in crime.

I’ve always kept up with scheduled maintenance and only had to replace the radiator during the last few years. Maybe I picked a winner but it’s only been lately lights have come on to fix things. This is my second Murano, I got one in 2005 then upgraded the following year to Mercedes and eventually came back to the Murano. Overall, I’ve had a great experience with this SUV and will be sad when the time comes replace her.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The Nissan Murano looks like a luxury car and drives like one. It is very easy to turn and for parking, love the screen monitor and camera angles. It's very comfortable and plenty of storage. I do wish the dealership told me it has to have synthetic oil which is about 50 dollars an oil change.

Original review: April 16, 2018

2007 Nissan Murano - My transmission went out at 93,000 miles. These CVT transmissions are known for failure which is why Nissan doubled their warranty from 5 yrs to 10 yrs and 60,000 miles to 120,000 miles. Unfortunately, I was unaware and bought this car at 10 yrs old and 83,000 miles. A year later, the transmission went out. I took it to a local garage and because nobody wants to mess with the POS CVT Transmission, it took them 7 weeks to replace it with a used one (I'm getting rid of the car asap). I will never EVER buy a Nissan Crap vehicle again! Most everyone I talked to said they wouldn't deal with Nissan and their crap anyway.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I bought this 2007 Nissan Murano at a Germain dealership where I had previously purchase Nissans. The car was purchased in 2015 at 91K miles for 12000K. After being purchased it was in an accident where the left wheel well and front left bumper was damaged. After getting it fixed through Progressive Insurance, the AWD light went on and soon after the engine seized in 2016. The car sat until this month when I decided to get the engine installed. 3600 dollars later, the car is still stuck in AWD the RPMS at 65 MPH are at 4 RPM. The mechanic said after the repair that this car now has transmission issues. I still owe on the car and it only has 128k. I will never buy a Nissan again, it has been nothing short of a nightmare. We have spent all this money and continue to on a car that has barely been driven. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

In Oct.2016, I purchased a brand new 2016 Nissan Murano. Love the car, for the last 8 months driving it I started getting sick, nausea, headache, lightheaded, chest pain and diarrhea. And finally, I found out what is wrong with me. My 2016 Nissan Murano has CARBON MONOXIDE and is killing me slowly. I went to my dealership to let them know about my SUV, and they tested it right away. AND IT'S POSITIVE for Carbon Monoxide. They asked me if I wanted to trade my vehicle or to wait a few weeks and fix the problem. I said no, so I told them to trade in my 2016 Nissan Murano to a newer one 2017 Nissan Murano that was November 2017. Exactly 2 months today I am experiencing the same thing happen to me 10 months ago, my new 2017 Nissan Murano is leaking fumes inside my vehicle. I have been driving and owned most of the Nissan Vehicles since 1994 and I have never experience like this before.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I bought a 2009 Murano 4 years ago and it has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I have taken good regular care of it, but I've had to replace the air compressor, front axle, radiator, and multiple other engine problems. This car has cost me thousands of dollar now in repair. I'm a single Mom on a limited income and I thought I was getting a good family vehicle. What a HUGE disappointment! Run away, do NOT buy this vehicle!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Two years and half, I bought a brand new Nissan Murano Platinum 2015, 46.000 thousand miles, BY FAR THE WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. Don't waste your money. Nissan has the worse customer service. The dealer close to the office is the worst. 1 sensor (airbag) disables while an adult is seated in front passenger seat. 8 MONTHS, 5 resets, 3 reprogramming, 2 OCS sensor replacements, and one new OCS control unit later and I have lost ALL patience!

Audio/nav screen is nonresponsive at times. Liftgate do not work, I can't open the trunk, Vehicle seized on the highway maxing 70kms/hr when we were trying to pass with flow of traffic at 120km. LOUD knocking sound over bumps. I've filed with BBB CAMVAP Arbitration, One MAJOR issue is with regard to the OCS Sensor RECALL.

I would like to update everyone here with a few resources to ensure their safety as clearly we have to look out for ourselves here. :( PLEASE check out the NHTSA website regarding the OCS sensor recall and read their complaints. Even after the repairs are completed, MANY people like myself are still experiencing issues. Please take a look and protect yourselves if you are part of this Nationwide recall.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I would first like to start off by saying that I absolutely love my 2010 Nissan Murano! Recently my oldest son and 5yr old son were on their way to the store and somehow my son lost control of the vehicle and went up on the curve, attempted to regain control of the vehicle but the truck ended up going in the air and flipping over. My 5 year old remained anchored in his car seat thanks to the extra safety belt feature for car seats and the front and side air bags also played a vital role in keeping them safe. By the grace of God neither were injured! My Murano was totaled. But it kept my children SAFE! For that reason alone I will always be grateful for my decision to purchase a Nissan Murano and will always stand by Nissan products. I have no complaints!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

The most crappiest car award goes to Nissan Murano... I am driving 2006 Murano, I am a family person and likes to drive very slowly, no rush, no harsh brakes, proper oil change and maintenance on time. First, radiator of the car started leaking then power steering when hose gone. Then came the transmission failure and something that almost took my life: Drive seat got BROKEN while I was driving... Craaaap. Dealers don't do anything unless you flash money to them. Thousands spent in repairs. Won't suggests this car to anyone. STAY AWAY ALERT.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

After driving in rain a high pitch whistle occurs coming from the rear of the car. It has occurred 3 times. On two of the occasions the car was brought to a Nissan dealer and they could not fix problem since the noise stopped before I got to the dealer. I did make a video of the car as the noise was occurring and played it for the service manager to hear. He agreed the noise was from the rear but no error code showed on their computer and therefore they could not do anything. After calling Nissan consumer affairs on multiple occasions and they spoke to the service dept both agreed nothing could be done until they actually hear the noise in the car at the time in the shop.

Concern is the whistle starts at random after a rain storm and will drain the battery overnight. This is quite concerning since the car has less than 4000 miles on it. Other cars have reported the same issue on the Murano forum and the dealer changed the rear hatch sensor and the fuel pump which are the only two electric items in the rear. Nissan refuses to change either. I believe the lemon law applies after the third failure by the dealer to fix problem.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I bought a 2007 Nissan Murano 8 years ago with 16,000 miles on it. I now have less than 103,000 miles. 2 weeks ago I was driving and it stopped right in the middle of a busy street... It boosted off, but on the way home, it began making a squealing now that got louder when I was driving 40 mph. I got it checked when it died backing out of the driveway... Got it towed... Needed a new alternator. Now it started doing the same squeezing noise and RPM running 3times higher than it should... Now it needs a new $4400 transmission!! Oh... Not to mention that I have had the front right part of my axle replaced twice in the past 3 years. I am disabled and cannot afford to have a new transmission put in... I'm praying Nissan will cover this under a warranty. I am so upset and disappointed.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I bought a 2012 Nissan Murano, 2 years ago. I paid cash for the car. I bought the car in Denver, Colorado from Plant Honda, I really like the car EXCEPT the Transmission went out. When buying the Nissan I knew Nothing about the CVT Transmission. The car started jerking when backing up and lunging forward. Checked the fluid. Did not register on the stick. My husband decided to replace the Transmission and filter, not a big deal. The problem was after we replaced it. The car would NOT go into gear. We called Nissan here where we live, they said there was not a filter. Also they do not work on the CVT transmission. We had the car towed to a Transmission shop here. They called and said we needed a new Transmission, that those transmission have been known to go out around 30,000 miles. The transmission is on order but I have to wait because where they build transmission are on back order.

I then called Nissan here to see if there may have been a RECALL on that transmission, no there hasn't been a recall. I called the corporate office, they told me they MIGHT be able to help if I would have the car towed to a Nissan dealer so they can diagnose the problem (at my expense) then Maybe they might help. I spent 18,000 on the car and now I have to spend another 4,000 to have the transmission fixed. Needless to say I am NOT HAPPY. I have less than 95,000 miles on the car. I will never buy another Nissan. I will Warn anyone who is thinking of buying a new Nissan. I can not express how dissatisfied I am on the car.

Original review: June 21, 2017

The frame in my 2006 Nissan Murano broke in half today while driving. The frame and subframe are so rusted the dealer says it can not be repaired. I'm kind of in shock that an 11 year old car with only 92k miles would break in half. Nissan has escalated the issue to a regional customer service rep. Has anyone here had this problem and been fairly compensated by Nissan?

Original review: May 27, 2017

So discussed with the bosses at Nissan for not recalling Muranos for potentially dangerous suffrage rust. They've recalled Altimas with the same problem, and according to the company, there is a single plant that installed defective steel subframes. You would think Nissan would rather fix the flaw instead of paying the potential lawsuits. My mechanic said I was very fortunate that the rear didn't collapse after hitting a pothole at 60 MPH. I'm not finished with my pursuit of compensation.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I bought the 2007 Nissan Murano brand new, the first year I had to take it in for a 2.5 quart oil with service engine on. And ever since I have had multiple problems with this car. I truly believe I bought a lemon. My extended warranty has pay for fixes on this vehicle over $9000 dollars in fixes. I complain to Nissan Corporate and they wanted me to go to a Nissan dealership for a diagnostic, which I paid for $99 dollars, the service guy told me that I had over $6400 dollars in fixes. I sent the info to Nissan Corporate, and they denied my claim.

I said, "Why would you have me do this if you are going to deny it anyway." With all the fixes throughout the years and this it is crazy. They are nice vehicles but if you have a problem, you are on your own, Nissan Corporate will not stand behind their product. Be aware of this. If you find yourself with your oil dropping to oil to 2.5 quarts and rattle noise you will have forever and it will get worse. I have tried multiple time for Nissan Corporate to step up and do something about, but they always denied any of my requests. I have most of my repairs, if you were to look at them you would be extremely surprised. Thank you.

Original review: April 14, 2017

In March of 2016 I purchased a 2009 Nissan Murano and it's been the worst decision of my life. A year later I have an exhaust leak and need a new transmission. While driving on the highway, my car simply stopped and wouldn't go into gear. I have spent over 1,000 in rental cars because I have to go to work, 125.00 for a battery, 200.00 new tires, and 600.00 for an alternator. Money pit! I always thought Nissans were great cars! Don't buy Nissan people. You will regret it.

Original review: March 19, 2017

Nissan Murano 2019 transmission & transfer assy problems - I almost get into an accident on a hill because my Nissan Murano hesitates upon acceleration. Driving for a while then stopping at a red light the car doesn't go. While I go up a hills the car feels like it is not going to make it. I took this car to the dealer in New Jersey and had to spend $4000 in repairs. I will never recommend anyone to buy a Nissan.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I purchased a 2003 Nissan Murano used in 2004 with 17,000 miles. In the first 10 years I owned this car I never put 10,000 miles a year on it, kept regular maintenance, garage kept and climate controlled. I have to say I loved the quality and handling of this car. In the last two years the instant this car hit 125,000 miles the suspension started going and has been replaced one thing right after another. Struts, control arms (upper and lower), ball joints, strut mounts, sway bars, bearings and tie rods, some of these parts replaced twice.

In May 2015 the air duct recall was handled at Nissan of Chesterton in Indiana and at that time they gave me a quote on the catalytic converter replacement at $1498.00. I went to the dealership to investigate if any of this had been recalled besides the air duct recall as well as some rust I noticed in the interior rear door wells. I was told none of it was ever recalled including the catalytic converter and the rust was a normal wear and tear occurrence and expected. The oil pan started leaking and had that repaired, intake and exhaust camshaft sensors, left front axle seal, radiator cap, catalytic converter, solenoid and hoses.

Today I took it to my local garage that has handled most of my repairs to have the suspension checked again due to the clunking noises that suddenly started happening and to my horror I am told the strut mounts are bad again and the rear stabilizer bar is nearly rusted out of the frame. In fact the frame is rusted out to the point the bar cannot be replaced without that part of the frame being replaced. I came home and googled Nissan rust issues and have found a class action lawsuit on the Altima for serious rust issues but so far not yet on the Murano though this seems to be a big complaint.

I refuse to put another dime into this car and just before all of this I had hoped to check out the Rogue. Never again Nissan. I probably have less than a month to find a new car before the rear stabilizer comes completely off. Currently this vehicle is barely safe to drive. Not what I had planned. I have a stack of receipts I am not going to scan and post with this review but if they become necessary for any reason I have them available.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

2010 Nissan Murano 66,000 Miles and SO FAR ABS Actuator (Part alone $2200), 2 door actuators (estimated parts and labor $1500), drivers side sunvisor (estimated $300). CASE # **. I am so upset, angered, disgusted with Nissan I don't know where to begin. My 2010 Murano - only has 66,738 miles on it. I bought it BRAND NEW in the $35,000 range and planned on keeping this car for 10-12 years. Within the past 3 months my car has had a driver's visor issue which I was told would cost almost $400 to fix and apparently is such a common issue that a RECALL should have been done.

Three months later I had both my passenger side door and rear passenger side door actuators go bad that I was estimated would cost $1500 to fix. While I wasn't happy I let it go and didn't waste the money on either. NOW I was driving home on Interstate 75 in Florida aka "alligator alley" and my ANTI LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM has failed. My wife and 2 children were in the car and we could have all been killed. My car is now in Delray Nissan (Florida) and the Anti Lock Brake System Actuator and Control Unit is bad and the PART ALONE IS $2200!!! This is my family's SAFETY. How can a car, which has been taken care of EXCELLENT by me since its purchase have a major problem like this at 66,000 miles.

I own a 2006 Honda Element with 120K miles and besides regular maintenance HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. My goal was in the next 4-5 months get rid of my Element and finance perhaps a Pathfinder etc. My mother in law was ready to re-up and lease a Rogue. My sister was ready to lease a Pathfinder after she turns in her Chevy Traverse.

NONE OF US WANT A NISSAN ANYMORE AFTER THIS. Now my car is sitting in a dealership, I am at work in the hospital and my wife doesn't even have a car because they had no loan cars to give us and... I have to wait until Monday to see if Nissan can cover the expense of the unit and labor. So discouraged and NEVER expected this from Nissan as this was supposed to be my car and my wife was to purchase a new one in the upcoming months. Please have someone contact me ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I have a 2009 Nissan Murano. I bought it in 2012 with 28,000 miles and at 33,000 miles it had some motor work done and now at 68,000 miles the car smokes when I start it. And I took it to Star Nissan where I got it from and they said I need a motor so they had the car for 4 days and then told me the warranty wasn't going to cover it cause it's from lack of oil changes. So I gave them all my oil change papers and they still won't fix it and I was charged 500.00 for them to tell me that. So then I talk to Nissan consumer affairs and they said the answer is no so then I call then again and again and it's still no. Then I finally called this last time and they said to take it back to a Nissan dealer to have them tell you what's the problem with the motor and cost. So I did to Mid City Nissan and they said "I believe they should cover this for you. It seems like it's not your fault the motor is bad."

So they contacted the warranty and the answer was still not going to be covered so now my car is there and I have to pay another 600.00 dollars for them to tell me they're not going to fix it. So I have this car I can't drive and I still have to make the payments on it. This is not fair. No one in the Nissan corp. will help me. I believe this car had motor problems when I bought it that's why there was motor work done at 33,000 miles three months after I bought it. It's a lemon.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

Buyer be aware. We purchased a 2016 Murano with the Technology package and found out after the fact that it does NOT have beeping sensors when approaching stationary items. Although it has a front and back camera, as you approach too close to a stationary item, or about to hit said item, the vehicle will NOT sound a beep as a warning. This was very disappointing to learn since this technology has been around since dinosaurs. Funny part is I called Nissan headquarters today to obtain an explanation and they had no answer other than "contact your dealer."

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I have owned a 2005, 2009, and now the 2015 Platinum series. The automatic/safety stop feature in this vehicle is dangerous. It has almost put me thru the windshield a few times. I am surprised that I don't have whiplash or that I have not been rear ended yet. It happens out of nowhere... no one in front or either side of me and next thing I know... dead stop! If someone would have been behind me during these incidents, I know without a doubt that someone would have rear ended me. I have asked the dealership to turn this feature off because I am now afraid to drive this vehicle. My biggest fear is going down a busy highway and this feature decides to activate. OMG... I can't imagine.

The dealership said... "Well, you have to keep the sensor clean." Duh... when you drive in snow, sleet, mud, rain (Canadian Weather)... this is not possible unless I am stopping every 10 minutes to clean it. I have always been a fan of the Murano and I have been loyal for 12 years, 3 vehicles later. Maybe it's time to go to something other than Nissan. My loyalty is wearing thin when my life is at stake!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

Just purchased a 2016 Nissan Murano last month September 2016 and already having issues. Haven't even made my first payment on the car and the car has less than 1,000 miles. That's not the scary part. The issue was with the brakes. My wife was backing out of the driveway and her brakes stopped responding. She nearly hit a light pole and fence behind her, luckily she placed the car in drive and avoided that collision. Her next problem was that the car is now moving forward and brakes still not responding. She threw the car into "park" before colliding with our neighbor's car. After calming my wife down, I asked her to step out of the car so I can take a look for myself. When I got into the driver seat I noticed the brake pedal was almost to the floor. There was maybe about an inch of play on the pedal.

Opened case with Nissan Consumer Affairs and was told there wasn't any recalls for my vehicle. A quick google search proved that to be untrue. Not happy being lied to. Arrived at the dealer to discuss the issue with the service adviser and he told me the recall was for car's ABS system. But it does not affect my vehicle. He proceeded to ask me several questions about the incident. One question that really bothered me was if we by any chance had bumped our car in the front end or maybe someone hit our front bumper. My answer was "No, why?" He informed that they have seen where people bump the front bumper and break the sensor the works with the "forward collision warning" system. This system is supposed to apply the brakes before colliding with the car in front of you.

Well he informed that if this sensor is damaged, they've seen that it causes the brakes to stop working. WHAT??? Nissan, are you kidding me. Please someone from Nissan engineering confirm this. Because if it's true, there lots of lawsuits coming your way. Luckily this happened near our driveway in a residential neighborhood, with no kids in the car because I dropped the kids off at school in my car this morning. Had this been at a busy intersection, things could have turned out really bad.

Any Nissan executives reading this post, take a moment and think, what if this was your family in your product. Get the issue resolved before it claims innocent lives. I will be posting my story on every Nissan forum and consumer complaint site I can think of. Feel free to reach out to me. Find my contact information on the Nissan Consumer Affairs case **.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

2015 Nissan Murano SV - BY FAR THE WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. 1.5 months into ownership Two dealerships tell us it's new car smell - burning off the factory smell. BS! Heater block cord was never secured to the frame and was MELTING against the fan. Transfer case is leaking and needs the seals replaced. AFTER A MONTH AND HALF. OCS sensor (air bag) disables while an adult is seated in front passenger seat. 8 MONTHS, 5 resets, 3 reprogramming, 2 OCS sensor replacements, and one new OCS control unit later and I have lost ALL patience!

Audio/nav screen is nonresponsive at times. Lift gate opens halfway at times (no obstructions). Vehicle seized on the highway maxing 70kms hr when we were trying to pass with flow of traffic at 120km. LOUD knocking sound over bumps. I've filed with BBB CAMVAP Arbitration, Transport Canada and have contacted the media. News is doing an interview about poor experience with Nissan on Monday morning. I WISH I would've seen this page before purchasing!

Updated on 10/16/2016: I recently wrote a review regarding my 2015 Nissan Murano and the multiple issues I've been experiencing with it. One MAJOR issue is with regard to the OCS Sensor RECALL. I would like to update everyone here with a few resources to ensure their safety as clearly we have to look out for ourselves here. :( PLEASE check out the NHTSA website regarding the OCS sensor recall and read their complaints. Even after the repairs are completed, MANY people like myself are still experiencing issues. I've gone to one major media outlet here in Canada and a thorough interview was aired. Please take a look and protect yourselves if you are part of this Nationwide recall.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I've been always a Nissan fanboy but things changed when my Murano 2012 failed miserably right after the warranty expired with 1K over the 60K manufacturer warranty. Its so sad Nissan ignores such a big issue with their transmission. I took great care of my car and for it to fail after 4 years. I would not recommend anyone to own a Nissan Murano unless they are ready to pay 5K for a CVT replacement right after the warranty will expire. The dealer shop in San Juan Capistrano - Imperio Nissan told me that there was nothing wrong with the car and then after another 1K they were able to actually figure out that they did find the problem and suggested to do a full replacement right after my car was out of warranty.

Nissan Murano Company Information