4.04/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Mercedes c230

The Mercedes C-class is a line of luxury coupes. Read more Mercedes-Benz reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

81 Mercedes c230 Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I bought this car, a 1998 SLK 230, 3 months ago. I paid too much for it because I wanted it and they are generally very hard to come by. Although 20 years old, everyone thinks it came off the showroom floor a couple years ago. I love it and hate it, I had it one week and it had to go to dealer because the alarm system went off & would not turn off. I asked dealership to remove it, I didn't want it. But they said you cannot remove it because it is tied into the tail lights and turn signal function (and indeed, they would not work), It cost me $2400.00 just to get a new alarm system!!! I asked them to replace the shocks because they were not too good. I did not have a clue. They cost $314. EACH, not including labor! I didn't find out till after the work was done. I had a couple other things done also. I have now spent $800 more than I paid for the car in just repairs! Fortunately the engine and drivetrain have been excellent since I bought it.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I bought about 2 1/2 yrs ago at 128,000 MI, good Carfax, serviced at MB dealer, a little rust at bottom of doors, needed new rear springs, ($70. And 20min), tune up and coil pack, (easy and 6 used coil packs for $36.), Alternator and belt (easy), upper radiator hose, front control arms, tie rod ends inner and outer ($400), front brakes ($300), tires, oil, and gas. Now have 178,000 MI and runs great. Doing motor mounts, lower rad hose, and wheel bearings (MB parts $280). Most parts are normal to cheap comparatively.

Best late model used car I've ever had and I will never buy another American car or truck again. Ford fires, Dodge truck 360v8 dead at 104,356 MI, gm-Northstar head bolt studs fail @100,000 MI, Duramax diesel- injector pump under intake manifold fails @ 100,000 MI ($3,000), GM everything with plastic intake gaskets from '96-2006, etc. I'M done being burned by greedy American companies that only care about money and stock price and nothing about quality and customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2018

How do I start the lawsuit or a Class Action Lawsuit? I purchased a 2007 C230 in 2012 with only 65k miles on it. After purchasing had repeat problems with fuel sensor, Battery draining constantly replaced at least 7x. Lost my job because always late for work. And It was NEVER in an accident or fender bender yet my airbag deployed light came on. And for this reason the car that I paid $17k for 3yrs later dealerships would only give me $4k because of the deployed airbag light. I only owed $7k and after paying too many out of pocket costs it ended up getting repoed. Due to mental anguish I'm now on SSI and currently homeless living in a shelter because of this Company. Now BAD credit, No CAR and I am enraged after reading all of these comments and obviously MB knew. Please if you're an atty and you read my story please email me ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Purchased a 2006 C 230 AMG with 155,000 miles for around $3500 private party. Was not expecting much. Car drives great and gets better gas mileage than my Lexus RX. Car gets stuck in drive when I come to a stop on occasion. Have to put in neutral shut off restart and will go into park. Not a big issue but frustrating if there were an emergency and had to respond quickly. I took into Amco as they said transmission was fine. Appears to be a shifter issue. Anyone else experiencing same problem?

Original review: June 2, 2017

Mercedes built their product and customer service up with intentions to lead other competing companies as soon as Mercedes reached their goal of higher class customers and once Mercedes earned the higher class trust and they earned the faithful high-class customers. Mercedes knew they could rob the lower class who by these cars used. Mercedes like all of the monopoly companies in the world have all done the same (Robbing all customers worldwide). Companies who do this are nothing but thieves who rob customers and all have the same objective of ruling the world and want to eliminate competition companies from competing. What these companies forget is that we as people all ethnicities, race & color are who made these companies who they are to date and they forget without customers. They lose money and respect from their companies.

They wouldn't have anything without us as customers and when companies choose money over customers. They forget customers can destroy these elite and big companies by joining forces and taking a stand and stop purchasing all their products and taking our business to smaller companies. Prices might be higher but worth not getting. Robbed of hard working money that we earn not them. Without us these companies are nothing without customers. We're tired of getting screwed in trusting these companies who rob us with cheaper products who end up being defective and their choices have consequences for misleading customers and robbing customers. We have rights to make change in these companies who rob us.

I bought a used 07 c230 for $9000 cash last year. It was first car. I test drove and being a disabled war veteran who fought for years to get the back pay rightfully owed to me by government. Promised and fighting to survive over decades to prove my case. I thought purchasing this car would be a good choice. It's only been worse choice. A year later I'm finding out a Mercedes dealer sale on this car for five years while investigation and lawsuit was in process on the transmission defects that cost customers anywhere from $6000-$8000 to repair defective part. But the idiots who were suing for this defective part recall. Screwed all and any other customers who were affected by this part and settled out of court before judge made a recall on these cars and now affected customers are screwed to ever take this defective product in court again.

Thank you for settling class action lawsuit out of court order and before a ruling by a judge. As soon as this case was settled the dealership in Fresno, Ca. Knowing and sitting on this car with known transmission and engine defects. Put car up for auction to used dealer from Sacramento, Ca. Once Fresno dealership knew they wouldn't have to fix the recalled product and lose the money lost to fix and time it would cost Mercedes to change defective recalled part for free. So now after buying this lemon car have no recourse since I didn't pay $60,000 on a loan from dealership. I can't hold Mercedes or Fresno dealership responsible selling a lemon of a car. The transmission has problems and in the winter I set the owner manual setting to keep windows defrosted in winter time and now magnetic AC compressor has electronic shorted out and failed after setting this user setting Mercedes publishes in owner manual.

Three months later its summer time again. Try to turn setting of AC back on and now AC system has failed and cost me around $1500 to replace and refill AC system. All this only proves Mercedes only cares about money and not customers anymore and they think they aren't going to be held to responsibility in these defective products or part replacing needing to be recalled by Automotive Customer Affairs Bureau is supposed to hold these car companies responsible. Definitely not doing their jobs of protecting customers rights on these lemon cars sold to public. Need to be fired and company shut down for not protecting customers like government promised us. This company would do another waste of tax payer dollars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercedes c230?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I am having a W203 C-Class Kompressor C230. I send my car to repair Gear Box Cooler hose. Mechanic changed the hose and change new Gear Oil. The problem is after the above done, the car unable to start. Petrol oil flow good, spark plug sparking good. Mechanic told me that the compression problem. Why it happens? Anyone can assist me? Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

So I bought a 1999 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor November 2015. Yes it had minor big issues but they were bearable. Today, a year later, my front windows stop working. My seats are stuck in only a comfortable position only I can ride in (anyone else trying to drive it might be too short or too tall). My sunroof don't work nor do my heater/Ac. My check engine light is on but everything else is good. I just need to know how much it is for me to get everything working again. I really love my car and I want to ride with it but it's so hard dealing with these car issues especially in all these different weather.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I've had my C230 Mercedes Compressor for two years, and am the second owner if I remember correctly. When I first got the car, it was in excellent condition. Sometime last year, I was driving with the sunroof open, and heard a loud pop. Turns out something had broken off, leaving a small piece of the sunroof track sticking up. I could still use the sunroof as long as I held the piece down whenever I closed it. A few months ago, I had the sunroof open, and it made a horrible noise when I tried to close it. It would not budge and became stuck open. My dad was able to fix it enough to wear it closed, but it no longer works and the black cover to the sunroof is stuck and will not close.

Another time, I tried to close the cup holder cover to find that the front part had completely broken off, leaving the rest of the cover stuck inside under the console. The rubber seal on my passenger door also came loose, leaving part of it hanging out of the door. And a few weeks ago, I opened my trunk and the rubber seal on the right side had come loose and was sticking out of the trunk.

Today, I opened the trunk to show my dad, and the seal on the other side almost came off. I hardly ever use my trunk and don't understand how the seals could be breaking. One of my reverse lights just won't come on, even after changing the bulbs. The little compartment under the stereo (not the one with the cover) gets very sticky on hot days and I think it could be melting. My car also jerks, or kicks pretty frequently. And it shakes and vibrates if I go over 55 mph. Overall, it's a beautiful car, but too many things are messing up to have only owned it for two years.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Purchased for 3k after ttl with 160k and 1 original owner. Now with a sprinkle of common sense before you buy, check the idle after you warm up 800k floating. Potentially be a expensive fix very soon), put one foot on the front tire and pull up on the fender make sure it's not rocking heavily (struts/bushings/motor mounts are designed cheap). Should you find yourself behind the wheel and the transmission feels off or rough it's because the car memorized the first 40 shift points of the previous owner, really simple to reset to learn your pattern.

I'm in the country of Texas for it's out in 100-130 (index) with the ac on full and a dog out the back window for at least 100 miles a day burns about 1qt of oil every 1500 < miles. Tires don't stay intact for long and the door handle will fall off the back privacy shade might not go down but the windows are tinted. Do your repairs before you have to do them and you're going to get 200k++ out of this ride. P.s. Do not be intimidated. Don't think a technician knows better than a mechanic and avoid buying anything from the dealer. My intake hose needed replacement dealer $80 just for parts. Amazon $12,1 screwdriver and a hour to learn something new.

Original review: May 17, 2016

Accurate descriptions of my concerns with a Mercedes C230 sport built in 2007 is very very difficult to express here. My C230 has 55,000 miles on it. At the last front end alignment, the mechanic said that the car is at its extreme limits of adjustment and that was with 22500 miles on it. I am blessed enough to be able to perform the oil changes. They are extremely difficult one compared to my other six automobiles. The cost is 2-3x what it takes to do my other cars. Access to parts for maintenance purposes is ridiculous.

I believe that the technology in a Mercedes is great. I believe that the design is very good. I believe that the materials used are poor at best. I believe that the reliability of a Mercedes is mediocre to poor and I believe that no one in their right mind would buy a Mercedes for reliability. I will leave their reliability is in Japanese cars: Toyota Nissan Lexus etcetera easily exceeding a Mercedes. I believe that reliability in Ford's Chevys etcetera when cost is considered, is much better. I honestly don't believe that anyone would buy a Mercedes with the expectation of getting a reliable car with quality components and cost-effective maintenance. Mercedes has a reputation for avoiding responsibility for its poor design issues. Royal leaking and electronic cables causing major failures is a common problem and denied but common. Plastic components that crumble and fail is common but did not buy Mercedes.

Other issues I'm not sure if 55000 miles we haven't hit them yet we probably will try to get rid of the car because of the check engine lights. And $19 thermostat cost from 71 to $114 in a Mercedes. I can't understand why a standard thermostat is not being used. However when you pull out the expensive hundred dollar plus thermostat, it looks like all of the thermostat with a small aluminum housing around it. Certainly not worth $50. I don't understand but I see that Mercedes is trying to eliminate its customer base. This is how they do it.

Mercedes c230 Company Information