3.50/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Honda CRV

The Honda CR-V is a crossover SUV. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

320 Honda CRV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V new in EX-L trim level. The issue with gasoline mixing with the oil was known from the 2017 model but did not seem prevalent. No problem before the oil change at about 7K miles. But continuously checked the oil level (most owners would not do this on a new car) at about 10K miles. When I needed to top off the windshield washer reservoir I checked the oil and it was elevated to where the orange indicator piece meets the metal dipstick (about 10-12mm).

Called American Honda and opened a case number and took it to the nearest dealership. They tested each individual cylinder, no codes or check engine lights (but they did admit that was indeed gasoline mixing in the oil) changed the oil and filter and sent me on my way. They said that Honda was aware of the issue but currently no fix. Gas which breaks down oil is a serious problem on any vehicle. Most especially one that has a Turbo!!! Do not take a chance on the 1.5L Turbo engine or at least wait until what the 2019 engine offerings are and skip the Turbo. Other than this serious cancer, it's a great set of wheels!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I own a 1999 CRV--very happy with it-in researching to upgrade to a newer CRV I have discovered some newer generation problems-from 2002 till current 2018--I will not deal with electrical problems or vehicles going up in smoke! Off the top the rattling you all hear is from the cam chain the cam tensioner is spring applied with oil pressure overide--at start up before the oil pressure comes up the chain is still loose and rattles until pressure is up--in the cold north with thick oil this takes a while.

The tensioner is not built to last the test of time and oil will leak past the piston and become quite ineffective--the second problem with vibrating at low rpm/idle from what I read is caused by 2 of the 4 cylinders cutting out and creating the vibration-this is a system Honda put in to save fuel--I could go on with a/c problems and others that Honda disregards because it will cost them money.

In the meantime they are losing customers by the thousands--just saw a video of an Acura going up in flames from fire under the hood--oh lets touch on the step on the brakes but the vehicle accelerates--from a 3 time Honda owner--hope Honda won't sue me because I am not worth much---this from a little town in Northern B.C Canada.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have been a Honda buyer in the past. Honda CR-V is a great performing comfortable car and I like everything about it. I like the backup camera and the maneuverability of driving this car. The size and feel of the car while driving is unique. It feels like a much smaller car. This car looks good going down the road and we get very good gas mileage. We very often use the car on long trips. I would recommend it as it is.

Original review: June 19, 2018

The Honda CRV is roomy, comfortable to drive and has many of the safety features I was looking for in a new car. I particularly like the backup camera and the lane notification. This was the roomiest of the SUVs that I looked at and one that I could climb into easily as most weren't easily accessible since I am less than 5 feet tall. But I would get a better navigation system since this one does not recognize new streets and a better voice recognition system. This one does not always recognize my voice and then I have to pull over and put the number in manually.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We looked at many cars like Nissan and Toyota. Honda stood out. We love it and are very happy with it. I chose Honda CRV over other models because my previous Honda lasted a very long time with no problems and was very reliable. I purchased it a couple years ago and it's comfortable. The stereo is really good and easy to teach controls. Love the backup camera too. The car's easy to see out of. No problems changing lanes anymore. The lock seems little backwards but I am use to it. It is the best car I've ever owned.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?

Original review: June 17, 2018

I absolutely LOVE my Honda CR-V. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned! It rides, drives like a race car, but feels like a luxury car. It gets great gas mileage and is extremely easy to park. I chose it because I had bought a Honda Odyssey, which has over 250,000 miles on it and still going. I knew it would be a reliable car which is what I need. I like the fact that there is no hump in between the seats in the back as do the individuals who ride in it. The only thing I wish my Honda CR-V had would be in-car wifi or built in navigation. The camera isn't the best, but it's fine for what I use it for. I also wish my car had a larger gas tank. It seems a bit small for the size of the car overall.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Being an SUV, the Honda CRV sits higher up. It's big enough to feel safe without feeling like driving a bus. And it's fairly roomy inside and versatile enough for crooks uses and need. Also, its standard transmission gives the car just a bit more pep than auto transmission. The car is reliable and had kept its value very well. It does not look outdated although the standard model is very basic and looks economical and is not sleek. There are not many upgrades as well and there's lots of road noise compared to other cars. But the only real problem with the CRV is battery.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The 2005 Honda CR-V I own has been driven across the country multiple times with very little issues ever. The car now has over 250 thousand miles and is still going strong. Very reliable car. Its size is really great. It's compact just enough but big enough to fit everything I need in it for long trips. The gas mileage is good as well. Heated seats would be nice, as well as being able to take out the back seats fully would be great for lugging big objects and moving. Also it would allow me to put an air mattress in the back which is a really great option to do when traveling.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought the Honda CRV used in 2012 and since have maintained and serviced the car for major service repairs and upkeep. I feel safe in the car as it is well built. It is very reliable. I like that there is a lot of eye room to see outside with only a few blind spots. I also like the draw underneath the front passenger seat. But, I would like the car to have a back door that lifted up instead of having to open it from the left like you do a side by side fridge. This is a 2000 model and new models now open by lifting the door.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've enjoyed having the vehicle. It's the 1st SUV I've owned and I've had it for almost 13 years. It's held up well with no major repairs, only normal maintenance and expected replacements, eg. tires and battery. I bought it because I was looking for a small SUV with a manual, floor shift, with a 5th forward gear for economy. Also, Honda has an excellent reputation for quality. I like the added cargo space that comes with it. I also like the manual floor shift, which, unfortunately, is no longer available. However I would want a slightly wider wheelbase for windy conditions and for the spare tire to NOT be under the vehicle. I also would like to know where the fuel pump reset button/switch is located.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The Honda CR-V is very easy to handle and I have had nothing but positive experiences with this car. The gas mileage is wonderful. I like the features and the interior. I like having bluetooth, the alarm system, and the amount of room in the car. The truck is an adequate amount of size for my needs. But I would probably make the visor longer. Also I would make the backup camera wider. I would also include a subscription to Sirius radio instead of Pandora.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Honda CRV is a brand by itself. I read lot of good reviews and many of my friends recommend this car. After screening so many other brands and models I had chosen Honda CRV as it's an mid sized suv perfect to fulfill my needs. I have a baby and we travel a lot... And I needed a car which can accommodate all my luggage. Honda CRV has many awesome features which very few have those features in that segment... Smooth riding and easy to use features. There is never ever been a problem which I usually heard is other cars. So for me it is the best car. But one thing which can be improved is the mileage.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I got this Honda CRV used. It replaced a jeep that I loved. I was commuting a lot and needed much better gas mileage. It's taken some bang ups and not done terribly. And it has done a great job with mileage and maintenance. Good value for features included. Like the console, lots of space. I like being able to pull the whole back seat down too. And I like the specific window lock. But the steering wheel is in a weird position for me that I can't seem to adjust. Now that the battery in the key also has run out it's annoying not to have locks on more than front left. And there is also a blind spot about 135 degrees from driver. I'd like to have some of the new safety features.

Original review: June 7, 2018

This Honda CRV has been outstanding to drive over the past six years. The interior is roomy and very comfortable. It handles great in any weather condition and has been very reliable. It gives a smooth ride and very low maintenance is required. It has all the extras that I was looking for and it's compact enough to easily maneuver in and out of parking spaces. And all the controls are easy to use with fingertips. However, when something drops or falls in the abyss in between the front seats and the console it is nearly impossible to retrieve it.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I purchased a 2016 CRV new from the Steve Padgett's Honda Danville VA dealership. Twice in the last 10 days it has failed to crank. I have had to have it towed at my expense. The dealership checked it out and said the alternator, battery, and starter were all within limits. They found nothing wrong. So far the dealership has been nice but after this happened again today, I am driving 50 miles again next week to have them replace the battery. I have been offer no compensation for the drive or my time. I guess if they can't find anything wrong, they will start with the process of elimination.

The car has always been serviced by Honda. This is the first Honda, I have ever owned. I have owned Nissan and Toyotas and never had a major problem caused by a defect in the cars. I am becoming dissatisfied with the vehicle, because I do not trust it anymore. I travel a lot and it is a very bad feeling fearing your car will not crank. I know of at least 1 other customer who has had this problem, she was there the day I was. Have others had this problem. If so Honda needs to recognize it and start repairing.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My Honda CR-V 2011 AWD power steering rack and pinion failed in just 75000 miles of drive. I have been using Toyotas and never had to face this problem even after driving 150K. The dealer (Ourisman Honda at Bethesda, MD) has not maintained or identified the issue early. They are asking 1650.00 to fix the problem. I will say Honda is not worth its name or Japanese quality. I have heard Subaru customer service is excellent. They take care of this type of issue immediately at no cost to the customers. Next time I may go for Subaru or German car. No more Honda.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have been very satisfied with my CR-V. I bought this car after having a Toyota RAV for 14 years. It handles well and the gas mileage is super. It was fairly priced and suits my needs.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I like the car; it's the second in a row of the same model I have owned. Drives well, looks ok, low maintenance and hope I am not jinxing myself with that said. No complaints really and overall happy with the dealership.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Leased Honda CR-V 2016 in 2016. Started to have problems around 3000 miles. The engine would cut out, stall & could be dangerous in traffic. When you expect the engine to respond it wouldn't. I brought it back 3 times & all I got was, "Couldn't find any problem." Totally disgusted with it.

Original review: May 5, 2018

This 2001 is my second Honda CR-V. It fits my body perfectly, reliable, roomy, and versatile. It handles well and is responsive. ONLY possible drawback is height/balance.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My CRV SUV doesn’t have the amenities that I had previously but it has decent pickup. After 4 years it still appears to be new. I still can’t get the back seat to fold flat though.

Original review: May 3, 2018

The most surprising quality about the 2009 Honda CRV to me, is how predictable it is on black ice. I’ve Driven more than 2 million miles covering Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, Saskatchewan, North Dakota, and South Dakota as a technical representative. Lots of 4-wheel drives and a few all-wheel drives. This vehicle is surprisingly stable, as things change (passing when roads are slushy, going over a bridge uphill, that froze unexpectedly).

Original review: May 2, 2018

My HONDA CRV is 17 years old and has 214,000 miles registered. I bought it new and I would buy another new one in a hot minute, but this one runs as smooth as butter! I’ve only ever done regular maintenance and I couldn’t be happier! Keep up the good work HONDA!

Original review: April 30, 2018

My Honda CRV has been a very reliable vehicle. There have been no engine problems or necessary repairs; it is a comfortable car that drives smoothly. The model I purchased has all of the extras, including sun/moon roof, leather seats and navigation. One complaint is the poor quality of the remaining interior, primarily cheap plastic. Small things have stopped working, but have a ridiculous repair price; for the price for the extra features, that makes this customer unhappy.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I like that it is easy to get into and drives well. Also, I like the ease of putting and retrieving groceries, etc from the back. Love the color of turquoise, too. The only Complaint is blind Spot on drivers side.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Overall I really like my Honda CRV. It apparently holds up well in a rear end collision. I am disappointed in the driver’s impaired visibility through the front/side windows and lack of durability of the material used on the bottom of the backseats.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I had a 2000 Honda CRV with over 219,000 miles on it, under $2500 in maintenance over the 17 years I drove it. When it was time for a new car, I didn’t hesitate at all to buy a new Honda CRV. I love it!

Original review: April 25, 2018

The Honda CRV is a well made car and runs extremely well. It has great mileage on the highway and decent in town. It is not as smooth riding as a BMW but also not as expensive.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My 2013 Honda CRV's rpm is around 600 in gear so it vibrates so much when you stop at the red light. There's the same issue with 2015 CRV with a lawsuit and Honda settled HONDA TSB 15-046 to fix it but only for 2015.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The performance of the Honda CRV has been very good. I do not like the raised fenders (on the hood part) as they obstruct the view. The seat doesn’t raise up far enough for a short person like me 5’ 3”.

Not sure about Honda CRV?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Honda CRV Company Information

shop.honda.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business