Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.86/5

Honda CRV

The Honda CR-V is a crossover SUV. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

349 Honda CRV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

2018 Honda mis-steps: 1) No CD player although aging boomers are one of your largest buyer segments and we still like music and books on CD. Now, I have to buy an adapter to plug into the outlets and use a portable CD player which is a safety hazard to manipulate while driving. 2) No pocket on the back of the driver seat – another big segment of your buyers is young mothers and grandparents who utilize the pockets to carry kids toys and things to occupy them. Now only one grandchild has a toy storage pocket which leads to fighting in the back seat. 3) Aging boomers cannot see the temperature or mileage gauge without readers or leaning toward the steering wheel. A redundant digital clock in the same area as the outside temperature gauge and mileage and is in a readable font size – why did you reduce the font size of the other information in that area?

4) The turning radius is awful. In my 2015 CRV I could back into any parking space but I have to start the backup and then have to pull forward and line-up the car to back-up now. The car creaks whenever you turn at any sharp angle. 5) Why did you remove the camera on the passenger side mirror??? I used it on my daily commute on the interstate to gauge where there was a possible clear spot to change lanes. It allowed me to keep my sight forward with a subtle glance to the center screen to monitor when to change lanes. Now I have to look in the rearview mirror which takes my sight off the cars in front of me. The warning light doesn’t always warn of cars just outside of the blindspot. I’ve almost had several wrecks in the commute time traffic. My daughter has my 2015 and it is a much safer vehicle.

6) The security screen over the rear storage area is not as sturdy as the one in the 2015 model. 7) I hate the auto-correct drive. If I don’t turn my signal on to merge off the interstate it tries to jerk me back into the lane I’m exiting. I’m going to turn off this feature because it tries to jerk me whenever the lane markings are not exactly straight on the pavement. It grabs my brake when I’m already slowing down to brake. I’m there – I am a better judge of the traffic flow and what speed I need to brake to keep from being rear-ended.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I absolutely LOVE my Honda CR-V. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned! It rides, drives like a race car, but feels like a luxury car. It gets great gas mileage and is extremely easy to park. I chose it because I had bought a Honda Odyssey, which has over 250,000 miles on it and still going. I knew it would be a reliable car which is what I need. I like the fact that there is no hump in between the seats in the back as do the individuals who ride in it. The only thing I wish my Honda CR-V had would be in-car wifi or built in navigation. The camera isn't the best, but it's fine for what I use it for. I also wish my car had a larger gas tank. It seems a bit small for the size of the car overall.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've enjoyed having the vehicle. It's the 1st SUV I've owned and I've had it for almost 13 years. It's held up well with no major repairs, only normal maintenance and expected replacements, eg. tires and battery. I bought it because I was looking for a small SUV with a manual, floor shift, with a 5th forward gear for economy. Also, Honda has an excellent reputation for quality. I like the added cargo space that comes with it. I also like the manual floor shift, which, unfortunately, is no longer available. However I would want a slightly wider wheelbase for windy conditions and for the spare tire to NOT be under the vehicle. I also would like to know where the fuel pump reset button/switch is located.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Honda CRV is a brand by itself. I read lot of good reviews and many of my friends recommend this car. After screening so many other brands and models I had chosen Honda CRV as it's an mid sized suv perfect to fulfill my needs. I have a baby and we travel a lot... And I needed a car which can accommodate all my luggage. Honda CRV has many awesome features which very few have those features in that segment... Smooth riding and easy to use features. There is never ever been a problem which I usually heard is other cars. So for me it is the best car. But one thing which can be improved is the mileage.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I got this Honda CRV used. It replaced a jeep that I loved. I was commuting a lot and needed much better gas mileage. It's taken some bang ups and not done terribly. And it has done a great job with mileage and maintenance. Good value for features included. Like the console, lots of space. I like being able to pull the whole back seat down too. And I like the specific window lock. But the steering wheel is in a weird position for me that I can't seem to adjust. Now that the battery in the key also has run out it's annoying not to have locks on more than front left. And there is also a blind spot about 135 degrees from driver. I'd like to have some of the new safety features.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?

Original review: April 25, 2019

Second CRV. We took to dealership for warranty water leak. At this time Battery also died. Still have 8 months on warranty. First of all the service rep told us we might as well buy a new Battery then get the free one on warranty, because it could go out and it would not be covered. Second, we have water pouring in at antenna. They are going to fix the leak, but want to clean the swollen headliner. Anyone who has any car experience knows that the headliner is exposed to extreme heat, and the cloth is attached with glue. So this is now compromised. We did not buy this way and do not want it dropping in a year when the warranty is up. Plus, there is a mildew smell to it. I hope they get this correct, this is our 4 Honda but is making me think differently for next year.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Search 2015 Honda CRV vibrations and see what I mean. The class action suit has been thrown out, Honda says they have done everything to fix problems. I have all their so called fixes done, car still vibrates. Service manager told me they all vibrate and there is nothing he can do, told to complaint to HONDA CUSTOMER SERVICE. Honda has admitted the problem after receiving so many complaints, but just tried to cover up the problems. The fixes do not work.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Honda CR-V 2018 didn’t alert driver when engine off and not in p. This week, I exited my CR-V at a gas pump, and when I turned back to it, it was leaving the gas station, picking up speed, and went across a busy street (fortunately no cars at the moment), jumped a curb, went down an embankment and slammed into a concrete bridge abutment, avoiding it traveling onto very busy I35 south. The front left side of the car is crushed, no airbags deployed (possibly due to no one in the drivers seat but TBD), and it had to be towed away.

My concern is that this car dings at any mistake, like trying to exit a stopped car without putting it in park. I always check to see the problem when I get that warning, but this time it did not give any sound alerts. Of that I am certain. This will be further investigated and reported to Honda and our dealership, but I wanted others to be aware of the flaw. Thank goodness no one was hurt. The car only has 4000 miles on it and is most likely totaled.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I bought this vehicle because previous Hondas were great. This thing is a cheap piece of junk. Now that they have an oil dilution problem they are not refunding customers for. I would never, ever consider buying another one. They are going backward just like our country.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I have a 2018 Honda CRV. My electronic screen just goes blank then by the steering wheel it starts to spin in a circle like it's trying to connect. This happens when I am driving. The reverse camera only works when it wants to. I have video footage and pictures to show that it doesn't work properly. When I went to have the service department look into it, this is what I was told. "Sorry, Honda and Panasonic are working on it. It has a computer glitch." So I called consumer relations and she said the same thing. Sorry:(. Sorry is a poor excuse. When they took my $34,000. they never said that "OH, SORRY I CAN'T TAKE YOUR MONEY BECAUSE WE HAVE A COMPUTER GLITCH ON THE ELECTRONIC SCREEN. They took my money and even though it's UNDER WARRANTY and only 5 months old, they can't fix because of a COMPUTER GLITCH. If it's goes blank totally then we will replace.

Honda needs to tell people the truth instead of selling a car with a major problem. You cannot use the phone because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the radio is playing when the phone is on. Music just plays by itself. The most important thing is the reverse camera works and then goes completely go blank. THIS IS A SAFETY HAZARD. Seriously, this is fair. This is so UNFAIR. Do not buy a HONDA-CRV. The worst car I have ever purchased. SHAME ON HONDA!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My 2017 Honda CRV came to a stop when I was driving 65 mile mph. There was no one in front, beside, or behind me. That was fortunate as I could have been hurt or killed. There was no reason for the car to put on breaks. I took to dealer and complained. They kept it for several days and drove it but they said it did not repeat problem so there was nothing they could do. I called Honda and the person I talked to was rude and said nothing Honda could do as the car has to repeat problem in order to fix. Needless to say, I do not feel safe and will never buy a Honda again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have a 2014 CRV and each winter, I have issues getting heat to come out on the driver side. I get cold air, but no heat. So far the passenger side still works. This affects both defrost and driver comfort. I live in Minnesota. When asked, Honda service tells me that it's cold outside and the car can't keep up. I took it in for service yesterday and the service desk said they could do a CLR flush for $400 but it's not guaranteed to work (she recommended against it). The next option would be to replace the heater core for $1900. She also mentioned that this would not be covered under any extended warranty. She said that Honda refuses to recognize the design defect, therefore won't cover it or fix the design.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Purchased a brand new 2017 CRV Touring Model with rain sensing windshield wipers. They don't work, I am manually operating them during rain or snow storms. I have had it back to the dealer 4 times, they can't duplicate the problem so no fix. Was told to bring it back when it was actually happening. Last week during a snow storm took it in provided them with pictures of my windshield on the drive in (have done this every time). The service tech checked out my nonworking wipers from the comfort of his warm service bay. I was told they had no available tech to check it out because we didn't have an appointment, bring it back next week which I did and of course they couldn't duplicate the problem. I have talked to Honda corporate asked them to disconnect the rain sensing they can't do it. I bought a Honda thinking it was a good vehicle. I am thinking of trading this one in and will never recommend a Honda to anyone. Miss my Subaru!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I bought 2015 Honda CRV and I see it does not have heated mirror. I live in Connecticut and is snow and ice here so in winter freezing temperature you cannot see from side mirror because is frost with ice. In this case you get accident so Honda can pay for it? For to save few dollars they put customer on risk is not fair. They has to recall and put heated mirror. Please do something about it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My 2009 Honda CR-V was a great car. Unfortunately my son totaled it and I looked into replacing it with a new CRV or a Subaru. I chose the CR-V because it felt like more car than the Forester. I'm very disappointed that I did. I live in the Northeast and had a $250 car starter purchased from Best Buy on the 09. This worked so much better than the one that comes with the 19. It worked at a greater distance and stayed on longer. The 19 only stays on 10 minutes and the car is nowhere near warm. It says you can do it twice but I haven't been able to get it to work. The heater in the 09 was MUCH better than the 19. The 09 also had a "Auto" feature on the heat that didn't allow the car to blow cold air until it was warmed up. This just blows cold air and you have to manually turn the fan off.

The seats are lower in the car than the 09. I liked sitting up and if I wanted a sports car then I'd buy one. There is only half the space in the cargo area because the dealer told me that people didn't like the shelf. Really? That hard shelf gave you twice the carrying space and if you didn't want it you could put it on the bottom. Beside that the space is much smaller. The 19 has more power but overall I'm very sorry I bought it and I'm not impressed with the design and lack of features. I miss my 09.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My 2017 CRV has a definite defect in the seatbelt on the driver's side. I have had to wrap tape around parts that are sharp and tearing clothing. Honda claims that this is the design and nothing can be done about it. This is an expensive car and I feel this tape should not be necessary. They refuse to even look at it. I have verified the problem with two Honda dealers and they both agree that there is a problem. If you are thinking of buying a 2017 CRV, please be aware of this defect.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My 2015 Honda CRV has 35095 mile on it and is at the dealer with a warped cylinder head. The cost of repair is estimated at $4000. Honda Customer Service has decided that since they could not determine why the cylinder head failed, they would not cover any of the costs to repair under their 5 yr 60,000 mi warranty. Looking at other reviews on this site, it's apparent that Honda's warranty is worthless. Lesson Learned - do not believe reports on vehicle reviews in Consumer Reports. I'm going back to GM products.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have a Honda CRV which is the 3rd one I've purchased new: 2005, 2007, 2018. With 4,500 miles on it the defrost/heat does not work and gas smell on the oil dipstick. This seems to be a flaw in the Dream Engine motor of 2017 and 2018. Honda knew of this issue and claims it is only in cold states and Canada. They continued to sell these vehicles knowing it was a problem. They have issued a TSB not a recall and depending on what state you live in you will receive a notice to fix your vehicle.

Well I live in AR not Minnesota or Canada! So what the heck am I supposed to do...continue to drive my $30,000 vehicle with gas in the oil damaging the engine while they continue to sell this car! They claim it's not a safety issue- well try driving with an unclear windshield and also I would have never spent my hard earned money on a vehicle with an engine flaw!!!! Honda I want my money back! Horrible customer service and even worse taking it in to dealerships and being told it's normal to have to drive your car to heat it up or that gas in the oil is normal as well! Do Not Buy this vehicle!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Maybe I got a lemon, but if you look on Honda CR-V forums you will see others with the same multiple issues that I encountered all within the years I owned the SUV. Here's the list of everything I encountered, this is not in the order the issues happened. Faulty Tpms light always going on. Grinding noise for 2-3 when starting it in the cold sounded like it had no oil (VTC problem). Multiple types of annoying Vibrations while at idle and driving around 20-30mph and sometimes at 50 mph. A harmonic hum/whine coming from up front between 40-55 mph would sometimes be heard over the radio.

Rotors needing to turned or replace every 20,000 miles sometimes less. Vehicle seemed to never stay aligned. Rims leaked from the inside out. Lug Nuts seemed to not fit right at times. Head lights were never bright enough. Compass always needed to be recalibrated. Vehicle had a miss or hesitation at times that always needed the computer to be flashed or updated.

There was some more things but I don't want to bore you with them. Honda used to be very dependable but with all this going on I couldn't see owning it when it was going to be out of warranty. Honda has slipped up the past few years, to me it's just another car manufacturer nothing special anymore, very overrated and overpriced. I replaced this problematic 2014 CRV with a 2019 Buick Encore which has been a wonderful delight and very underrated by multiple review places. So if you considering a 2012-2014 you better research and make sure you don't go through all the problems I had. Not highly recommend if you don't want to see the service department on a regular basis.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I bought my 2018 Honda CR-V less than a year ago and right from the get-go I noticed that the audio system was messing up, with the biggest issue being that all AM and FM preset stations are being wiped out. I reset them over and over and on one occasion I could not get a pre-set to stick for more than 5-10 seconds. This went on for 20 minutes until I finally turned the car off. This is just one of many issues that I have. Others include Bluetooth connectivity doesn't always work or recognize my commands, Sirius XM stations don't always play in "real time" - meaning that if I switched a SXM station and went back to it 30 minutes later, the same song would be playing and in the same spot where it was when I changed the channel.

I have brought it to the dealer several times, and the first time all they did is reset a button which did absolutely nothing. After about 7 months the dealership claimed Honda was now aware of the problem and is trying to"upgrade their software." Jump ahead 3 months and dealer is telling me the same story. They won't/can't fix it, they have not offered to replace it and here I just sit waiting. In the meantime, Honda continues to sell vehicles with their defective technology to unsuspecting consumers like myself and are not standing behind their product as they should. I should add the salesperson that sold me my car admitted that her husband's Honda Civic had the same problems with the radio presets, so it's not just the CR-V.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Honda is costing battery retailers a lot of money: There are many 2012 CRV owners who are going through batteries at a very fast rate, myself included. Honda is aware that the CRV electrical system is causing battery drain. But customers, like myself, are just going to AutoZone to get replacement batteries because the batteries are still under warranty. I wish AutoZone and other battery retailers would put some pressure on Honda to address this issue. Everyone involved is negatively affected by their inaction. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

This car is used to transport kids. It has less than $5,000 miles on it when the "driveline" just fell off. That is the report from the dealership service department. The bolts were lose or something they say. Two weeks to repair. Let's hope it actually happens. They told me they have seen one other with this issue. Probably within their dealership.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Almost every time when I drive my 2017 Honda CR-V AWD in a snow or heavy rain I'm getting "Radar obstructed" and all radar related systems are failing -- adaptive cruise control, line control, departure control, distance control etc. Car is turning in the old classic car where you have only wheel, gas and breaks. Nothing else is working. One time display refuse to turn off and change volume no matter what you do or which button to push. Several times display started blinking on and off quickly showing and hiding the brightness bar.

Today when I was driving on a highway ALL SYSTEMS failed! Power steering, Power Breaks and all safety systems failed. Dashboard was all yellow and red like a x-mas tree! When I managed to pull off highway and stopped on red light I was not able to go on green -- car jas jumping like a kangaroo because breaks refused to release. And every time after I turn car off and restarted it all problems are disappearing. I took my car to the dealer 3-4 times, they retained it for a day every time, did a full diagnostic, but could not find any problems. Honda CR-V 2017 has a great mechanical portion and absolutely terrible and buggy software! Buy it at your own risk!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We bought it brand new in Hawaii. From the start we had issues with the air conditioner. Even with extended warranty, Honda was not fixing the problem. Once the warranty expired, we had to pay to get it “fixed”. A month after the “fix” the AC broke down again. It took an irate woman (me) to finally get them to look at the issue and they fixed it. But remember it was no longer under warranty. During warranty they never repaired it correctly. It now has about 100,000 miles and we have put in an additional $8,000+ in repairs for different things over time. The latest was an oil leak and a month later the power steering. We have always serviced it at a Honda dealership and we have always followed the maintenance schedule. We had a similar experience with our Honda Odyssey. Needless to say we just bought 2 Subarus and are hoping to have a better experience.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

We purchased the car in November of 2017. At just over 9000 miles all the warning lights came on along with warning messages. One of which was "Brake Problem." Returned it to the dealer and they said it needed a computer program update. Two days later the same issue happened again. I told them I didn't feel safe driving the car so they came and got it and kept it for a few days. They said it needed another update. They did another update.

After the second update, two days later the same issue again. After looking online again for this issue, I came across a Consumer Reports page about this issue and they stated that many of these complaints were combined with gasoline being in the oil. I went out and checked mine and sure enough, gasoline in the oil. I called the dealer and American Honda and they said they knew of the issue but didn't have a fix for it. We have returned the vehicle to the dealer and are in the process of getting a refund under the "Lemon Law." This issue is happening in the 2017 and 2018 CRVs with this engine only...

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

First new car in over 10 years. Previously had a Hyundai Tucson, and this was a big upgrade for me. Happy overall with my purchase, but cannot understand why they put such a CHEAP carpet in this car! It is hard to clean it and everything sticks to it, and also it looks cheap and low quality. Feel like they really shortchanged consumers on this very nice car, that has really terrible carpet in it. Looks like the carpet in a much lower end vehicle. Luckily, I paid extra for the WeatherTech floor mats and that helps hide it a little. Still, so wrong of Honda to do this.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Updated on 11/07/2018: After encountering cruise control issues now I am having other electrical issues in the car i.e. road mitigation failure, driver assistance failure, brake system failure. Honda has assigned a case manager. Let's see if they want to replace this lemon car or not.

Original Review: I am medical student working for hospital. I usually wake up at 4:00 am to start my shift at 5:45 am. I live in Washington DC metro area and I am lucky that the time I drive to work I don't encounter any traffic. I am Honda lover since childhood, I also own Honda Civic 2016 which worked great for almost 3 years with 40000 miles. Today I am reviewing about the issues I facing with my new 2018 CRV EX. I bought this car few months ago and since last few months I was facing issues. My lane departure and lane assistance were already nonfunctional time to time but Honda Tysons didn't bothered to fix these issues during my visit to them last week for regular maintenance service. They did full inspection of my CRV and also certified the car with Virginia safety inspection standards despite a tire leakage in my rear wheel and these above issues along with faulty AC.

Anyways today on 10/22 while I was driving to work my cars started giving me warnings. Its emergency braking turned off and off by itself, I tried to stop the car but it got fixed automatically then the car gave me another warning of cruise failure and then after some time I got message regarding CMBS failure, LKAS failure, RDM failure. I was shocked and was so scared and did try to stop the car but didn't work. I took a risk and managed to take a picture of the dash meter for evidence at a speed of 60 miles per hours. The car still had the issue but I managed to drive safe at work. I am attaching a picture here and requesting Honda to fix this issue and take their faulty car back. Neither me and nor my wife feel safe to drive this car anymore. We are scared to drive this car and we love our lives. Give me a call to settle this issue or I'll take this case to court. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This car has major issues with its transmissions. Two transmissions and three torque converters within 90k miles and Honda finds that acceptable so don’t waste your time trying the customer service. Even the dealer I purchased the vehicle from noted issues with the drivetrain but Honda refuses to place out a recall. My advise buy a Toyota - they stand behind their products.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

It’s Happened to me 4 times. I have Honda CR-V 2018, very like this car, this is my second CRV I had before 2016 and know I got 2018. The big problem and hopefully is not gonna risk my life, the automatic emergency brakes brakes by itself with no accident no things in the front of the car, it’s could cause an accident anytime and it’s happened to me 4 times. I want to know if someone had my experience. Last incident it was in the 3rd of October 2018, I’m gonna share the dash camera video with you, sorry the dash cam sound was disabled.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

2011 CRV bought as a 'certified used' in 2015 - was maintained well. In 2018 blew a head gasket/twisted cylinder head. Over $5k in out of pocket expenses for repairs/rentals and six weeks of being out of a car. Car had 54k miles when it died and was traded for salvage.

Honda CRV Company Information