4.0/5 (141 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Honda CRV

The Honda CR-V is a crossover SUV. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Honda CRV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?

Original review: June 10, 2022

Purchased pre-certified 2017 CRV. As of 05-24-2022 the first issue was keyless remote not unlocking my vehicle and a spinning loading symbol on dashboard. That evening the alarm randomly went off twice. The following night again the alarm went off. I pressed and held radio power button to reboot thinking it was a simple reset that was needed, then no issue for several days. On 06/01/2022 accessory mode randomly turned on while I was pumping gas, then I was neither able to turn on the engine nor completely turn off the vehicle, all this while I was still at the gas station. Had to call AAA for a tow and thankfully the technician was able to start my car.

That night again the alarm went off randomly at least twice between 1-4 a.m. I took my vehicle to my local Honda service center 06/02/2022 and was told after inspection it was a body control module issue that needed replacement, turns out the part is in backorder. Since then the alarm continues to go off at any moment day and night, my battery has been drained and has needed 2 jump starts, so I have to disconnect the battery at night and reconnect it for school/work drop-off (we have 1 vehicle for the household).

During the limited time the battery is connected I have to be checking to make sure accessory mode isn't on every 20 minutes, thus interfering with my work schedule. I filed a complaint 06/05/2022 which Honda received on the 6th and as of today the 10th I have yet to be assigned a case manager. I have come across other similar cases so at this point I believe a recall is needed, beyond an inconvenience it is a distressing and dangerous issue.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

I read the article about the 2017-2019 braking issue that happens without warning. This happened to our 2018 CRV-EX AWD about a month ago. We were driving reasonably slowly and all of a sudden, the brakes grabbed, and it frightened my wife and she said, "What are you doing!" I said, "Nothing. It just did this." It took a few seconds to get the vehicle back to driving. I appreciate this article and glad it was published. Honda and the Department of Transportation needs to do something and quickly about this serious problem.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Purchased new 2017 CRV EX-l From Norm Reeves Honda West Covina CA. They install a after market alarm system on their inventory. We were not aware of this after market alarm system. Two weeks before the warranty was to expired the alarm starting going off at random times. We returned to Norm Reeves, they inspected it and said it was good to go. Next day same thing. We were going to Arizona, so we decided to take it to a Arizona dealer. They inspected the car and noticed that the electrical harness had been altered when the after market alarm was installed. This voids the electrical warranty. So for three years we had a car with a voided warranty.

The Arizona dealer said this intrusion into the wiring harness can cause some unexpected problems. To replace the wiring harness back to factory specs would cost about $10,000. Contacted Honda of America; almost three months later we are still waiting to hear from them. Cannot believe that Honda would allow a dealer to sell new cars with a warranty that is no good. First and last time to buy a Honda.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I bought Honda CRV Hybrid EX 2020 model last august. A week ago while carrying stuff from Costco to home, plastic container containing glass cleaner broke and got spilled in trunk. We cleaned whatever we could see on the carpet. After two days vehicle started showing power system malfunction error. Took it to Livermore Honda dealership, liquid has make its way to IMA Battery and Corroded harness which caused Fan to short out. This is not covered under warranty and cost is $1290. I have driven Toyota Prius as well in past, many times food and liquid has spilled, but never got any issue. Seems like Honda did not do good job in designing. Do not buy this product.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I bought my 2016 Honda brand new. Overall it's been a reliable car, this is not my complaint. For starters I had issues with my tire pressure light coming on repeatedly for just about 4 years. From the week after I bought the car on. I brought the car back over and over and over. They checked the tire pressure, put air in and shut off the light. Not unusual they say. Never did they look into why I couldn't keep air in my tires so they fixed the problem temporarily but never addressed what I now know was for sure the issue. They sold me a car with tires that apparently were leaking air and knew it. Mysteriously I bought 4 brand new tires 3 months ago and the light has NEVER come back on. $600 a month for a car with leaky tires that they considered "normal".

Then comes the grinding break issue every time it's damp out. The brakes apparently are made of very cheap metal that rust over EVERY TIME it's damp. So each damp morning, several times a week, I back out of my driveway with grinding breaks. I took the car back to the dealership to be checked several times, they claim the breaks are fine and as the service man told me "this is considered normal, all cars do this". I explained I've owned 7 cars previous to this one dating as far back as 30 years and never have I owned a car that has grinding breaks on a regular basis- if this is what Honda considers normal then clearly I've bought the wrong car. They did nothing. I still have rusty grinding breaks even after replacing break pads and rotors. Not my kind of normal and certainly not for $600 a month for a car.

The latest issue started about 8 months ago. My car apparently is burning oil. My oil light comes on before I need an oil change indicating I do not have enough oil in my car. I check my oil and nope- hardly any oil even reads on the dip stick. I've gone back to the dealership twice about this- guess what they say?? This is completely normal. Normal??? It's normal that I cannot make it to my actual oil change time without needed to add more oil to my car? I ask are they putting in less oil now than they have in the past? They claim no and they aren't a bit concerned since it gets me back in for another $50 oil change earlier than I should be so hey- it's more money in their pocket.

I should tell you my car has been well maintained. Early oil changes, frequent visits to the dealership (more frequent than anyone should even need with a "brand new car") I've done all the suggested maintenance services, tire rotations, expensive transmission flush, new tires etc. The gas mileage on the car is great but as far as quality goes Honda missed the mark here. I'm getting ready to trade the car in with just about 75,000 miles on the car and I will NEVER buy another Honda again. I bought this car at Colonial Honda in Dartmouth, MA and can't help but wonder if my service issues would have been handled differently at a different dealership because this hasn't been handled in a satisfactory matter for me. Either way- I'm done with Honda's I don't feel they sell quality cars for the price tag that they charge. Their normal is not my kind of normal.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

We bought a 2020 CR-V and enjoy the vehicle; however have concerns of the entire experience with one of their dealerships and call the corporate office just to be placed on hold for greater than 5 minutes and still no answer. We email and place a customer ticket regarding our problems. It has now been over 8 days and still no response. If this is how the corporate office manages customer problems or business - then the problems with the local dealership continuing to happen without correction is now better understood. If we knew this information prior to purchasing, we likely would have purchased a Chevrolet or Ford vehicle. Very dissatisfied and recommend anyone do much research prior to any purchase.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I just want to give my own experience about the 2018 Honda CR-V Touring which I bought it brand new from North Vancouver Honda (Pacific Honda) in BC, Canada. A bad mistake to buy this expensive car!

1st problem, engine wasn’t getting warmed up and the water temperature was always showing cold! (heater also wasn’t working in winter because of this issue).
    2nd problem, oil dilution issue!! (For those who don’t know what oil dilution means is, when un-burned fuel slips past piston rings and mixes with engine oil in the crankcase and possibly causing engine damage. It could also lead to stalling or loss of power during short trips or low-speed driving, such as in heavy traffic, especially in cold weather).
    3rd problem, a hose to AC is broken and AC is not working. Honda says they are not sure when they can change the part because it is back-order! So, no AC in Summer!! The AC probably will be fixed in Wintertime. My car might have heater issue in Wintertime! Who knows!

4th problem, lights in sun visors don’t work, and visors been ordered!!

A family car that doesn’t function properly when family needs it!

Original review: July 13, 2020

Hi everyone. I’m sharing my experience with Honda CR-V. Please don’t buy Honda CR-V. I bought in 2018 Honda CR-V EX L. My car involved in accident in February 2020. My wife got serious injured and her spinal got hurted. Just because the air bags doesn’t deploy at the time of accident. My wife’s head hit the steering wheel. My baby was in car and she is now emotionally sick. When I try to ask Honda they are not even explain why it not deployed. So please don’t buy Honda cars if you love your family. Thanks.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I took my 2019 Honda CR-V in for service to Honda in Hayward due to a screen malfunction. The screen beeps and the screen dims and brightens sporadically over and over when I'm driving. It's happened multiple times and the only way it will stop is if I pull over, turn the car off and turn it back on. This Honda glitch is a safety issue not too much in the day time although it is very distracting but especially at night when the screen goes full brightness and then dark over and over. Well I took the car in on Wednesday and as I explained my concern the service representative just nodded and said, "Okay. I know what you're talking about" but never actually said much. Hours later I get a call that my car is ready.

When I picked up the car the service representative told me they did a factory reset to the screen and I questioned it and he said that that would fix the problem. No one really explained anything to me. It's Saturday and the car is doing it again. I don't know if I believe they did anything at all since all my radio stations were still programmed. Ultimately even if they did do what they said they did it still didn't fix the problem. I searched this issue on the internet and have found out that this is an issue that Honda is aware of and is not fixing. It also looks like they have two lawsuits going for this exact issue. I'm very disappointed since I've only had the car six months and I bought it new. Unfortunate that Honda will not own up to this issue.

Original review: May 30, 2020

We had a 2016 Honda CRV that used to have a locking system that you had to push a button. The 2019 Honda CRV now has an electronic unlocking system. However, if your hand does not position correctly, it has one beep that it locked again. You have to withdraw hand and put hand in right position and get two beeps before it will unlock. This is ridiculous, especially in inclement weather! Go back to a button system. Neither the 2016 or the 2019 has convenient anchor hooks in the cargo area that are actually useful. The cloth seats are so hard I have to use a pillow to cushion my butt.

Honda CRV Company Information