1.80/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

291 Honda CRV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

My 2013 Honda CRV's rpm is around 600 in gear so it vibrates so much when you stop at the red light. There's the same issue with 2015 CRV with a lawsuit and Honda settled HONDA TSB 15-046 to fix it but only for 2015.

Original review: April 21, 2018

There are rust on the exhaust pipe of the new Honda CRV 2018 when I picked up it and marks on the rotors of the back brakes. I asked the dealer and was told they are all normal. And today the rubber cover around the front right body (above the wheel) was open. I sent the car to the dealer and they said it's because I hit the car somewhere and it's not warranted. If the car was hit, how come there are no scratches, no dent any all, only some marks of dirt that could be wiped out. Even if the car was hit by something, the rubber cover should not be so fragile. It's a vehicle supposed to be driven on rough road, not a piece of glass that I should hold in my hand carefully. This might happen even when The car runs over a bump, or been driven long time on highway if it's so fragile.

Other problems including noise from the window when driving on highway, noise from the engine when stop for traffic light, no power when going backward even over a little bump, have to speed up a couple times to back to the garage. All I got from the dealer about these complaints is "it's a new vehicle, new engine, it's supposed to be like these". I'm wondering what kind of vehicle I'm getting, a new car, or an 18 years old car. But the dealer said I can't compare this 2018 new car with my 18 years old car for these problems just by saying they are all normal. I'm wondering what's abnormal for a new vehicle???

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 4, 2018

I recently purchase a 2013 Honda CRV... Where do I start? I get a heavy vibration when vehicle in gear... If I turn the heater on it goes away. When nothing on in vehicle and you come to a stop I get a heavy vibration on the seat. I take the vehicle to the dealership. Say they aware of the problem. Lot of other customer complain but there is no fix from American Honda at this time. It's normal. I hope a lot more customer post their problem so Honda can come up with a fix... or I will just trade this vehicle away... very uncomfortable.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Purchased 2013 Honda CRV, flash drive has had problems since day one. My dealer agrees the car has a problem. Mystery 501 file appears, not on flash drive. Folder errors, 10 songs in folder, shows 18 with some stating unplayable? Went to Honda, they opened up a case file & then told me there was no problem. Have taken my case to the Better Business Bureau. So now we wait again for Honda to respond. BBB: Complaint ID **.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I bought a 2016 brand new HONDA CR-V. SINCE I bought the car the car vibrate on idle. Have taken the car to their mechanic and it was looked at multiple times. I will just be adding more miles to the car, and I've had enough going back and forth to get it looked at. The car has many reviews of people having the car fixed and it still has the vibration. It's a badly built car, a lemon, I want a replacement or full refund. I don't want to be given the run around for another 3 people to look at the car and nothing gets fixed. Honda obviously doesn't care for their customers because if they did they wouldn't push on a badly built car on their customers. I gave the car a chance already and it's not worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: March 22, 2018

I am a longtime Honda owner and foolishly decided to purchase a brand new 2016 CRV. Worst decision ever, significant, incessant vibration when car is idled/stopped. Known problem by Honda With no fix, loud road noise on the expressway, poor workmanship, cheap plastic parts. I do NOT recommend Honda.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I have owned 3 CRV's 2005, 2010, 2015, I keep them for about 130,000 miles before I trade them in. I have NEVER had a problem with any of them. I am currently looking at the 2018 which I really like but I don't have enough miles on this one to justify it. Great mpg, great carrying capacity, comfortable ride and all trouble free!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

The original battery of my Honda CRV keeps dying. Local Honda dealer did NOT cover the replacement and I have to pay $200 out of my pocket to replace. It's been only 3 years since I purchased the car and the battery is already draining out. I have been stranded in unsafe places as a result, waiting for roadside assistance to come jumpstart the car. When I took it to the local Honda Dealer (Dublin Honda), they said the battery is faulty and it's NOT covered under warranty and I have to pay out of pocket to replace it. I ended up paying $200 for replacement of battery and all the inconvenience of getting stranded at unsafe, unsecure places with my family in the car.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Where do I start!?? First off the thermostat was replaced and then the whole system flushed... still no help with heat. Then the mechanic drove it (2017 Honda CR-V) from my house and saw that going down the long hill into town the engine temperature gauge drops to C and then I have no heat. Idling, I have no heat. It was -17F last week. Now they say Honda said when the load on the engine is reduced, 2 of the 4 cylinders shut off for fuel efficiency and it's how it's supposed to work. Really?! The dealer's been great but Honda apparently doesn't care that those of us in the colder states freeze our asses off.

So that was yesterday... THIS morning all the warning lights light up my dash and say I have PROBLEMS with a whole slew of functions!! Luckily they now know me on a first name basis at the dealership and said that mine will join the other Hondas on their repair floor, this is happening a LOT. I'm not alone. What in the world, HONDA? This is my first and guaranteed last HONDA.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Leased new 2016 Honda CRV Touring in December 2016. Soon after I noticed that my GPS was not working correctly. While driving it shows no names of roads as you pass literally 15 cross streets. In some cases, as you approach a major intersection still no road ID. I mentioned this to the dealership Honda of Freehold and they indicated it works fine. Well it doesn't. I've been leasing Hondas and other vehicles for many years and have never experience this poor performance from a GPS. It works kind of crazy as when you pass major streets (with no names), it will give you a street name somewhere off of the main street. I will try again to bring this up with a Honda salesman the next service and see if anything comes of it. I know one thing for sure, the next time I lease, if it is a Honda, I will make my decision after I have checked the GPS operation. If it hasn't improved, goodbye Honda.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Bought a 2012 Honda CRV brand new. I always buy my cars brand new because I'm stickler on maintenance and care. I bought this car because I associated Honda with quality and had plans of driving the car into the ground. I got rid of it at 5 years old and 67K miles and found it to be junk and won't be looking at Honda ever again.

At three years of age I had issues with heat on the driver’s side vent being significantly cooler than the other vents. Honda has a TSB 14-063 out for this repair which will cost the owner around $250 to address. Buying the pump and doing it myself was a wash, so I had the dealer do it. Cross your fingers that it works and the dealer does it for the 1.5 hours that is suggested by Honda. My local dealer didn't and fortunately my dash cam documented their 25 minutes, otherwise I would have been sold a heater core. Honda Corporate had me take it to another dealer and had it re-done. Ridiculous on a three year old car, I have replaced one heater core and that was on a 25 year old car.

While at the dealership having the heater core, I also had the VTC Actuator replaced. The heater core and the VTC Actuator were both done in March of 2016. November 2016 when it got cold the grinding sound was back. It occurred after the vehicle sat all day or night long and when it was cold outside and was started. So Honda's new upgraded part didn't fix the issue. I lived with the grind happening off and on all winter long. It will eventually happen every time the car is started. October of 2017 when it got cold, around freezing, I had the grind two days in a row. Ridiculous that a gear in the motor has to be replaced at 3 years of age. And the fix not work.

I replaced the factory battery after 3 years with a high-end NAPA battery. Three years seems premature to me too. I have the same NAPA battery in another vehicle with zero issues. I put dash cameras in my CR-V and always found it odd that the cameras would shut down at what I thought was premature. I have a feature on them that will shut the cameras down if the battery voltage dropped below 11.8 volts so I could still start the car.

Sometimes they would shut down as soon as I turned off the car. I replaced the NAPA battery at 14 months of age. I have never had a battery with such a short lived life. I have the dash cameras in all three of my cars and one of them the battery is 11 years old and still works perfectly. When I replaced the battery I noticed my camera would function like my other vehicles without shutting down. As time went on the cameras would shut down due to the battery voltage dropping below 11.8 volts. Same camera in my newly purchased car with zero issues. No wires were spliced in any of the installs. Honda's eat batteries. Upon trading in the car it was on its third battery at 5 years of age.

Had an issue with the paint failing on the roof. The dealer looked at me like I was nuts and told me to take it to their body shop. Estimator said it was exactly what I thought and was surprised I noticed it and caught it when I did. Issue was about the size of me fingertip, but would eventually grow. Honda paid for a repaint. Replaced struts. No biggie, as it is to be expected. However the issue I have is that Honda has no adjustment for camber, so I had to install after market parts to give my car the ability to have camber adjustment so that I could get a proper alignment. While doing the struts the housing over the rear struts one of the bolts that attached the housing to the wheel well had no bolt and didn't for 5 years when the car was purchased new. And for 5 years I had weather getting into my vehicle rusting the strut housing. Honda paid for a new strut housing and bolt.

While doing my struts I noticed the grease boots on my front end were deteriorating at 67K miles. I have replaced front end parts at over 100K miles due to the parts wearing out. Not the grease boot failing. I have usually kept my cars for 10 plus years. I got rid of this one at 5 years and won't look back. Yes, I got Honda to make some of the repairs at their expense, but I wasn't going to be stuck with making the repairs at my expense later on. All of these issues are uncalled for a 5 year old vehicle. And was causing me more issues than cars that I had that were more than double the age of this one.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I taken my 2015 model CRV to Honda service centre after the vibration at idle become severe. (It was there from day one but ignored it as it was not that noticeable, but for last a few month it increased). At the service center they applied Honda recommended mode 1 and 3 repair, but that didn't fix the issue. So I reached out to Honda customer care, and taken my car multiple ties to the same service centre as per the case manager suggested. Unfortunately they couldn't fix the issue, and now case manager is saying that is the "characteristic" of the car!!! Seriously? Since this vibration is vivid and too annoying I can prove it easily, so I requested the case manager to consider taking a second opinion at a different Honda service center to make sure the fix they applied is proper.

His response was shocking, he adamantly said "you can take the car wherever you want, but as per Honda this is the characteristic of the car." Also he was not ready to give that in black and white, also denied my request to get case summary. I bought this car in May 2015 and it covered around 19k when I first reported the issue to the service centre, but it is under warranty. Now I am confused what to do next, Honda is not participating on arbitration program. There are already several lawsuits against Honda on this issue (consolidated in Ohio case #**), but there is no more information about final verdict.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Our CRV has been put through the ringer and keeps running and running well. It's the best vehicle I have owned and I highly recommend it. Families or single, you can't go wrong.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Honda has had problems with this (Sudden Unexplained Acceleration) before, I know. But I love my CRV and have driven one since 2009. Once before I had a problem while pulling into a parking place in a hospital parking garage. I chalked it up to missing the brake pedal and hitting the accelerator. However, last Thursday - while pulling into a parking place at my doctor's office - my car suddenly accelerated, running up an embankment and over 4 shrubs before coming to a stop but not before hitting a Chrysler 300 that was parked across from me.

I told the officer that investigated the crash that "my foot must have slipped off the brake pedal and onto the accelerator." He was amazed that I had generated enough power to go as far as I did. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the car had become "possessed" and had taken over my driving. Even after I took my foot off of whatever pedal I was pressing on, the car continued to accelerate and it took both feet stomping on the brake pedal to bring the car to a stop (or the other car). It has been explained to me that there is a computer in charge of signaling the throttle, not the accelerator, which presents this problem. Honda - fix this issue!!!

Original review: June 28, 2017

I own a 2005 Honda CRV and won't part with it! When I saw it in the showroom I immediately said out loud "I want that!" It had just the right styling, sleekness and attitude with its gleaming color of white, contrasts of red rear light, rear spare tire and running boards. It would be nice to buy a new one but the current styling looks nothing like the SUV it once was. There are a lot of vintage CRV owners holding on to their old ones hoping, waiting and wanting the styling to revert back and won't buy a new one because not only do they not look like an SUV, they are UGLY! By the way, my friend owns a 2003 and feels exactly the same. As we drive together on the freeway we comment on every new one we see; now a kind word is spoken. Honda, what were you thinking?

Original review: June 24, 2017

Beware, there are only 17 mobile phones that work with the Honda CRV Bluetooth system. It has been like getting blood out of a stone to try and access the compatibility list. Honda UK, EU and the dealership were unhelpful. I am now without the ability to use handsfree device in a car that I have leased for business from a Honda UK dealership. So annoying!! None of the 17 phones (list below) are easy to obtain - all second hand! Unless I go for Apple, which is no use as my business does not run on Mac.

Original review: June 17, 2017 Bought brand new Honda CRV 2014 with 85KM on it. Vehicle not even 3 years old and these are the work that was performed on it due to the problems I had.

VTC actuator 2 times - grinding noise still there. Transmission change due to bad whine on a highway. Rear differential due to vibration on highway. Differential oil pump 2 times due to croaking noise. Moonroof due to the rust inside from the factory. Changed tires due to hopping poor quality rubber. I do not recommend Honda. Their quality is terrible. I will be getting RAV4.

Original review: June 13, 2017

Honda CRV 2010 problem list: 85,000 replaced catalytic converter, 5 times under normal maintenance had to replace 4 quarts of oil, replaced timing cover, replaced a/c compressor, call Honda and all I got was "please call your dealership". Every single issue I had has a safety notice attached to it so obviously Honda realized it was a problem. Please stand by your cars. Look at all these safety notices. Last recall for Honda CRVs was driver side airbag randomly deploys. I had that replaced with the recall a couple months ago. The customer rep says "oh you better get that replaced. Its urgent". Well not that urgent if you tell me 7 years later. Anyways you lost a long time customer. I also told a couple hundred people about my story and plan on telling a couple hundred more.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Had a safety recall concerning my light switch, seems the lights go off and won't come back on. The dealer replaced the switch the first 2 times it happened but I had to pay $199 the third time because they couldn't get verification from corporate. I dealt with the corporate customer relations for 7 weeks only to be told the dealer shouldn't have replaced without corporate approval. Back and forth between the dealer and corporate everyone pointing the finger. Very dissatisfied with customer relations and Honda corporate in general. Very bad company to deal with. They seem to replace defective parts with more defective parts and make the consumer pay for it.

Original review: May 17, 2017

While driving I noticed the dashboard cluster (tachometer, speedometer, gas gauge) were all at zero in my 2005 CRV. Dealer and Honda America both said they hadn't heard of this happening with Honda vehicles. However, on numerous Honda forums customers are reporting the issue with CRV and Civic over several model years. What does it take for Honda to issue a recall? Has anyone else had the issue? If so what was the final diagnosis?

Original review: May 12, 2017

I bought a new Honda CRV 2014 from a Honda Dealer in California. However, last month, the air conditioner being of poor build quality developed a hole in its body and stopped working. Given I am still under 3 years warranty period, I reached out to closest Honda dealer and I was told that even the evaporator of the air conditioner is not working. Finally, Honda only covered the repair of the evaporator and I had to pay $700 for the condenser repairs and another $300 for a rental car while my car was being serviced. Honda is known for its reliability and durability of cars. I am really disappointed with this experience with Honda and have lost confidence in the brand.

Original review: May 10, 2017

2015 Honda vibration & tire issue: Leased a brand new 2015 Honda CRV in Florida in April of 2015 to move my belongings back home to New Jersey. Since I purchased the CRV in hot, sunny Florida, the air conditioner was running during my test drive so I was not aware of any vibration issue until I got back home to New Jersey and stopped using my A/C. This is when I became aware of the vibration while idling or waiting at a stop sign or light. I also realized that you cannot feel it when either the heater or A/C is on.

Nonetheless, after many calls to American Honda (their customer service is the worst!) and being assigned a rep that was pretty much going through the motions with no empathy whatsoever, they did a software update and replaced my front headrests as per their second bulletin. I know it makes no sense, but the headrest replacement was supposed to resolve the vibration issue. They replaced them with "heavier" headrests. When I got my car back, the vibration was actually worse! I called my assigned American Honda rep again and he offered no further resolutions as they supposedly did all the could do until they have a "fix" -- which I am still waiting for. Car is now exactly 2 years old!

Fast forward to today, May 9, 2017. Oil light came on and I took SUV in for the oil service. The service desk told me I had a B12 code which required an alignment, oil change and tire rotation for a total of $204.00. I gasped and reminded him I only came in for an express oil change for $40.00. Eventually, I opted for just the oil change and tire rotation for $74.00. My CRV currently has 24,500 miles.

When SUV was ready, Service guy informs me that ALL 4 tires are worn on the inside and needed to be replaced ASAP and that an alignment needs to be done as well! Again, another gasp... Are you kidding me? You can tell by the mileage that this car is driven about 1000 miles/month (average; not excessive) and the car is only 2 years old, so how is it possible that I already need 4 new tires?! My lease is up in 1 year... why would I want to put new tires on a car I will be returning soon?! Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I have owned many new cars in the past and I have never had to replace the tires on any of them within the first 2 years! My past 2 new cars were from Nissan. I traded a 2013 Nissan Altima (that I loved) for this disappointing CRV. I am seriously considering taking a loss and trading the CRV in before my lease is up. I got a Honda because of their reliability, reputation and the brand -- what a BIG mistake! I believe they use low quality parts and materials and that is why I need new tires. Based upon my experience, I would never recommend Honda to anyone. This is my first and my last Honda!!! I am going back to Nissan! Not only did I buy a "lemon" from Honda, but the customer service from American Honda also leaves a lot to be desired as well! Very disappointed with the Honda brand!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I bought this car (2010 Honda CRV) brand new with heated leather seats. It was suppose to be my dream car at a pretty price of 30,000 in 2010. There have been so many engineering flaws with this car starting with high oil consumption. My Honda dealer did not take this seriously for years. Finally, I researched it on the internet and found that in a Honda dealer in Oak Lawn, Illinois did take it seriously and after much testing honored the recall and had to replace the O rings. Then there is the screeching sound when I start the ignition. Honda dealer says it is another engineering problem and that it only makes that sound when starting a cold engine and that if I turn it off and restart it will not make that sound. But still no recall on that problem. Then recall on the airbags. Fine, they replaced them.

But I was recently in an auto accident where I did $5,000 in damages to the front end of the car. I hit that steering wheel hard with my chest to the point it knocked off my glasses and not one airbag was deployed. I am so disappointed with this car and all its problems and expenses.

Original review: March 4, 2017

CR-V 2013 latch from rear door doesn't not work when temperatures goes below 40. I had to pay for the repair but I read a lots of complaints about the same problem and lawsuits. This problem should have a recall. I would like the refund because many received from the lawsuit!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Bought 2016 Honda CR-V in August 2016. Turns out to be less than expected. Automatic transmission shifts ROUGH and HARD. Requires extreme force to shift. Rear view camera and viewing screen malfunctions. Screen is "snowed out" when outdoors is dark. Honda (Highland Park Illinois) refuses to repair. Claims "this is normal". Would not recommend buying.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Barely 1 year old car and tire pressure indicator has been on for almost the entire time. Took it to dealer in the beginning twice and they said I had put too much air in (really?). They adjusted it and within a couple of days it came back on again. Took it again and again, can't find any problems and they reset it. I now drive with it on, so annoying. Two days ago with 14K miles on my car I was in VA on a business trip. Went to the client and after a couple hours I went to leave and my battery was completely dead. Dead to the point my radio reset. Had to get jumped. I was afraid to stop on the way home so I drove over 6 hours without stopping. After seeing other people with the same complaint I am wondering why Honda hasn't addressed these issues?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Purchased a 2016 CRV Honda Touring April, 2016. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle and am very disappointed for all the money I am spending on it. A couple months after purchasing this vehicle the tire pressure came on. Went to find a place that has the particular air that goes in my car to find out the pressure was fine. Eight months after having the vehicle I got in my car, tried to start it and found out battery was dead. My husband had to give me a hot shot to get it to the dealer.

Four weeks later I drove to West Virginia University from Baltimore and on the way there we experienced bad weather. My windshield froze and after I tried several times to clean my windshield and back the windshield washer fluid would not work. This left me in a very dangerous condition on routes 68 and 70 and not being able to see. I had to stop on the side of the road, pour water on the windshield all the way there and back home.

When I took it back to the dealership they told me it was because the fluid should have been changed due to the temperature. Never heard this. They said there was water in the fluid and it froze. I had an argument with both the sales manager, who sold me the car and the service manager. Now I am having issues with the breaks. There is a loud unusual noise when I start out in the morning sounding like grinding. Back to the dealership. I hate this car, it is not reliable and I do not feel safe driving it. I am going to try and sell it after a couple months.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

I own a 2014 Honda CRV with about 49,000 miles on it. I had oil changes and any required maintenance performed as required. On the morning of January 19, 2017 I was driving to work on Route 55 in New Jersey. At first I noticed an odor yet thought it was the trucks around me. White smoke started to lightly come through the passenger side air vent. It increased and I noticed gray smoke coming from the right side of my hood.

At this time I pulled over to the side of the highway and put my blinkers on. The smoke started getting darker and more of it. I got out of the car and went toward a gentleman who had pulled over. We called 911 to the State Police in Bellmawr NJ. Within 4 minutes the front engine area was in flames. You can see the pictures and the Allstate insurance claim. The car has been totaled due to fire.

Though the car loan will be satisfied and paid off I was not prepared to be in this position of having to purchase a car. This will cost me a downpayment. I planned to own the Honda CRV well past it being paid off. Now due to a malfunction with the 2014 Honda CRV the engine caught fire as I was driving to work. I want Honda to compensate me any costs I will incur to purchase another car. Completing some quick research engine fires seem to be an issue with several model years of the CRV. I would like a lawyer to look into just how many Honda CRV engine fires there are. I am grateful to have not been harmed physically.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I have brought my 2015 Honda CR-V EX to 2 different dealers 5 times to try and resolve a problem. The tire pressure light keeps coming on. I have the pressure checked and it is always at least 2 lbs more than required which means the light should not go on. I reset the light, drive on and the light returns. The last dealer told me there is nothing wrong. If the light comes on, this a warning. Obviously there is something wrong with the sensor.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

Bought 2012 CRV new and soon encountered improper battery charging issue, when car was about a year old or so. Alternator would not recharge battery on short daytime trips (when electrical load is low). To summarize, dealer would not (or could not) fix the problem. I ended up using the simple fix - drive with headlights ON 24/7. Doing this causes the charging control to make alternator charge at high (14 volts or so) rate - which keeps the battery charged. Dealer never helped. HONDA never helped. My original battery is still working fine and I will replace it at about 5yrs as a routine. I like the CRV otherwise. Thanks for nothing Honda on the poor charging system.

Honda CRV Company Information