2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.01/5

The Honda CR-V is a crossover SUV. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Honda CRV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I bought my 2016 Honda brand new. Overall it's been a reliable car, this is not my complaint. For starters I had issues with my tire pressure light coming on repeatedly for just about 4 years. From the week after I bought the car on. I brought the car back over and over and over. They checked the tire pressure, put air in and shut off the light. Not unusual they say. Never did they look into why I couldn't keep air in my tires so they fixed the problem temporarily but never addressed what I now know was for sure the issue. They sold me a car with tires that apparently were leaking air and knew it. Mysteriously I bought 4 brand new tires 3 months ago and the light has NEVER come back on. $600 a month for a car with leaky tires that they considered "normal".

Then comes the grinding break issue every time it's damp out. The brakes apparently are made of very cheap metal that rust over EVERY TIME it's damp. So each damp morning, several times a week, I back out of my driveway with grinding breaks. I took the car back to the dealership to be checked several times, they claim the breaks are fine and as the service man told me "this is considered normal, all cars do this". I explained I've owned 7 cars previous to this one dating as far back as 30 years and never have I owned a car that has grinding breaks on a regular basis- if this is what Honda considers normal then clearly I've bought the wrong car. They did nothing. I still have rusty grinding breaks even after replacing break pads and rotors. Not my kind of normal and certainly not for $600 a month for a car.

The latest issue started about 8 months ago. My car apparently is burning oil. My oil light comes on before I need an oil change indicating I do not have enough oil in my car. I check my oil and nope- hardly any oil even reads on the dip stick. I've gone back to the dealership twice about this- guess what they say?? This is completely normal. Normal??? It's normal that I cannot make it to my actual oil change time without needed to add more oil to my car? I ask are they putting in less oil now than they have in the past? They claim no and they aren't a bit concerned since it gets me back in for another $50 oil change earlier than I should be so hey- it's more money in their pocket.

I should tell you my car has been well maintained. Early oil changes, frequent visits to the dealership (more frequent than anyone should even need with a "brand new car") I've done all the suggested maintenance services, tire rotations, expensive transmission flush, new tires etc. The gas mileage on the car is great but as far as quality goes Honda missed the mark here. I'm getting ready to trade the car in with just about 75,000 miles on the car and I will NEVER buy another Honda again. I bought this car at Colonial Honda in Dartmouth, MA and can't help but wonder if my service issues would have been handled differently at a different dealership because this hasn't been handled in a satisfactory matter for me. Either way- I'm done with Honda's I don't feel they sell quality cars for the price tag that they charge. Their normal is not my kind of normal.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

We bought a 2020 CR-V and enjoy the vehicle; however have concerns of the entire experience with one of their dealerships and call the corporate office just to be placed on hold for greater than 5 minutes and still no answer. We email and place a customer ticket regarding our problems. It has now been over 8 days and still no response. If this is how the corporate office manages customer problems or business - then the problems with the local dealership continuing to happen without correction is now better understood. If we knew this information prior to purchasing, we likely would have purchased a Chevrolet or Ford vehicle. Very dissatisfied and recommend anyone do much research prior to any purchase.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I just want to give my own experience about the 2018 Honda CR-V Touring which I bought it brand new from North Vancouver Honda (Pacific Honda) in BC, Canada. A bad mistake to buy this expensive car!

1st problem, engine wasn’t getting warmed up and the water temperature was always showing cold! (heater also wasn’t working in winter because of this issue).
    2nd problem, oil dilution issue!! (For those who don’t know what oil dilution means is, when un-burned fuel slips past piston rings and mixes with engine oil in the crankcase and possibly causing engine damage. It could also lead to stalling or loss of power during short trips or low-speed driving, such as in heavy traffic, especially in cold weather).
    3rd problem, a hose to AC is broken and AC is not working. Honda says they are not sure when they can change the part because it is back-order! So, no AC in Summer!! The AC probably will be fixed in Wintertime. My car might have heater issue in Wintertime! Who knows!

4th problem, lights in sun visors don’t work, and visors been ordered!!

A family car that doesn’t function properly when family needs it!

Original review: July 13, 2020

Hi everyone. I’m sharing my experience with Honda CR-V. Please don’t buy Honda CR-V. I bought in 2018 Honda CR-V EX L. My car involved in accident in February 2020. My wife got serious injured and her spinal got hurted. Just because the air bags doesn’t deploy at the time of accident. My wife’s head hit the steering wheel. My baby was in car and she is now emotionally sick. When I try to ask Honda they are not even explain why it not deployed. So please don’t buy Honda cars if you love your family. Thanks.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I took my 2019 Honda CR-V in for service to Honda in Hayward due to a screen malfunction. The screen beeps and the screen dims and brightens sporadically over and over when I'm driving. It's happened multiple times and the only way it will stop is if I pull over, turn the car off and turn it back on. This Honda glitch is a safety issue not too much in the day time although it is very distracting but especially at night when the screen goes full brightness and then dark over and over. Well I took the car in on Wednesday and as I explained my concern the service representative just nodded and said, "Okay. I know what you're talking about" but never actually said much. Hours later I get a call that my car is ready.

When I picked up the car the service representative told me they did a factory reset to the screen and I questioned it and he said that that would fix the problem. No one really explained anything to me. It's Saturday and the car is doing it again. I don't know if I believe they did anything at all since all my radio stations were still programmed. Ultimately even if they did do what they said they did it still didn't fix the problem. I searched this issue on the internet and have found out that this is an issue that Honda is aware of and is not fixing. It also looks like they have two lawsuits going for this exact issue. I'm very disappointed since I've only had the car six months and I bought it new. Unfortunate that Honda will not own up to this issue.

Original review: May 30, 2020

We had a 2016 Honda CRV that used to have a locking system that you had to push a button. The 2019 Honda CRV now has an electronic unlocking system. However, if your hand does not position correctly, it has one beep that it locked again. You have to withdraw hand and put hand in right position and get two beeps before it will unlock. This is ridiculous, especially in inclement weather! Go back to a button system. Neither the 2016 or the 2019 has convenient anchor hooks in the cargo area that are actually useful. The cloth seats are so hard I have to use a pillow to cushion my butt.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I purchase a 2014 Honda CRV. From day one every time I started the car the starter made a funny noise. With only 40,000 miles on it after 5 years I had to replace the starter. My mechanic told me it was an engineering issue as they placed the starter under or by the manifold which due to the heat of the manifold was burning the started out. Also due to the difficulty of putting the new starter in it cost me $695.00 (really for a starter but because the starter was placed by manifold that is what it cost me to replace.) One year later the starter is now making the same noise so I called Honda to see if they would cover the next starter. They told me no and the CRV only has 47,000 miles on it now. How dare Honda not cover this. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have leased two Honda CRVs (one 2016 and one 2018) over the last 3 years. During that time I have had lots of issues with both vehicles, resulting in me trading in the 2016 for the newer one, only to have the same or similar issues with the 2018. I have taken the 2018 to O’Brien Honda (formerly Brad Barker) of Bloomington, a Honda dealership in Peoria, a reputable shop in Decatur, IL and to a reputable shop in Bloomington, IL.

My primary issue with this car is its drivability. When I am driving the CRV, it is difficult to keep on the road because it darts to the left and to the right. It also pulls to the left and to the right making steering a challenge. I have taken my car to different places at my own cost to try and figure out the problem because when I drive on the interstate I have to go slow, around 60 mph, because otherwise it is difficult to drive it safely. I have two boys who are always with me and they notice it jumps around when they are in the back seat. I need to be able to drive and transport my children in a safe, reliable vehicle. The two CRVs I have owned are far from safe given these issues.

I have expressed my driving and safety concerns to all four of the service shops I have taken my car to. Inevitably, the shops tell me it requires an alignment. I am constantly aligning this car. When I took it to the Honda dealership in Peoria they aligned the car and within four days it was out of alignment again. I took the car to another shop and they told me it was out of alignment. How can that be after four days? I have also put tires on the CRV and nothing helps. I have spoken with District Managers about this. They give me the runaround also telling me nothing is wrong with the car. Even when I pushed back, the District Manager agreed to have the car aligned but within one day it was out again.

I am always taking my car to other shops for a 2nd opinion because the Honda dealerships do not resolve these issues after multiple visits and conversations with their service personnel. The shop I most recently took it to in Bloomington, IL told me they think there is a suspension problem or other issue causing the alignment not to last. I have made complaints to Honda and also made a complaint using the chat area of the website stating my unhappiness with the dealer’s service. At this point I have exhausted all options and am not in a financial position to trade this car in for something different. Honda is supposed to have reputation for being safe, reliable, long lasting vehicle. My experience has been anything but those things. I am very disappointed in the lack of concern and consideration at the Honda dealerships.

Given nobody can figure out what is going on with my car and nobody is willing to provide a different car for me to drive, I have consulted an attorney to determine my options. They recommend letting Honda know that I am reporting the company to Consumer Affairs for not properly fixing my car thereby rendering it unsafe to drive. I would like to work out these issues so I can keep this car but not when it is not driving safely. I have borrowed friend’s cars when driving outside city limits, or on the interstate, because of the way the CRV drives. That should not be necessary when this car is only a 2018.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The transient electrical problems with antilock brakes and display are very unnerving. I even took an 8 minute video to the dealer and they said try to bring it to them during the occurrence. Will not purchase another Honda.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I like the car but I am not a fan of the visibility. I have a hard time judging when another car is in the blindspot area. The back side windows are small. The engine has good kick when I need it, and my tall kids have more than enough legroom in the backseat.

Honda CRV Company Information