3.07/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

306 Honda CRV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 26, 2018

I purchased a 2016 CRV new from the Steve Padgett's Honda Danville VA dealership. Twice in the last 10 days it has failed to crank. I have had to have it towed at my expense. The dealership checked it out and said the alternator, battery, and starter were all within limits. They found nothing wrong. So far the dealership has been nice but after this happened again today, I am driving 50 miles again next week to have them replace the battery. I have been offer no compensation for the drive or my time. I guess if they can't find anything wrong, they will start with the process of elimination.

The car has always been serviced by Honda. This is the first Honda, I have ever owned. I have owned Nissan and Toyotas and never had a major problem caused by a defect in the cars. I am becoming dissatisfied with the vehicle, because I do not trust it anymore. I travel a lot and it is a very bad feeling fearing your car will not crank. I know of at least 1 other customer who has had this problem, she was there the day I was. Have others had this problem. If so Honda needs to recognize it and start repairing.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My Honda CR-V 2011 AWD power steering rack and pinion failed in just 75000 miles of drive. I have been using Toyotas and never had to face this problem even after driving 150K. The dealer (Ourisman Honda at Bethesda, MD) has not maintained or identified the issue early. They are asking 1650.00 to fix the problem. I will say Honda is not worth its name or Japanese quality. I have heard Subaru customer service is excellent. They take care of this type of issue immediately at no cost to the customers. Next time I may go for Subaru or German car. No more Honda.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have been very satisfied with my CR-V. I bought this car after having a Toyota RAV for 14 years. It handles well and the gas mileage is super. It was fairly priced and suits my needs.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I like the car; it's the second in a row of the same model I have owned. Drives well, looks ok, low maintenance and hope I am not jinxing myself with that said. No complaints really and overall happy with the dealership.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Leased Honda CR-V 2016 in 2016. Started to have problems around 3000 miles. The engine would cut out, stall & could be dangerous in traffic. When you expect the engine to respond it wouldn't. I brought it back 3 times & all I got was, "Couldn't find any problem." Totally disgusted with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda?

Original review: May 5, 2018

This 2001 is my second Honda CR-V. It fits my body perfectly, reliable, roomy, and versatile. It handles well and is responsive. ONLY possible drawback is height/balance.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My CRV SUV doesn’t have the amenities that I had previously but it has decent pickup. After 4 years it still appears to be new. I still can’t get the back seat to fold flat though.

Original review: May 3, 2018

The most surprising quality about the 2009 Honda CRV to me, is how predictable it is on black ice. I’ve Driven more than 2 million miles covering Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, Saskatchewan, North Dakota, and South Dakota as a technical representative. Lots of 4-wheel drives and a few all-wheel drives. This vehicle is surprisingly stable, as things change (passing when roads are slushy, going over a bridge uphill, that froze unexpectedly).

Original review: May 2, 2018

My HONDA CRV is 17 years old and has 214,000 miles registered. I bought it new and I would buy another new one in a hot minute, but this one runs as smooth as butter! I’ve only ever done regular maintenance and I couldn’t be happier! Keep up the good work HONDA!

Original review: April 30, 2018

My Honda CRV has been a very reliable vehicle. There have been no engine problems or necessary repairs; it is a comfortable car that drives smoothly. The model I purchased has all of the extras, including sun/moon roof, leather seats and navigation. One complaint is the poor quality of the remaining interior, primarily cheap plastic. Small things have stopped working, but have a ridiculous repair price; for the price for the extra features, that makes this customer unhappy.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I like that it is easy to get into and drives well. Also, I like the ease of putting and retrieving groceries, etc from the back. Love the color of turquoise, too. The only Complaint is blind Spot on drivers side.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Overall I really like my Honda CRV. It apparently holds up well in a rear end collision. I am disappointed in the driver’s impaired visibility through the front/side windows and lack of durability of the material used on the bottom of the backseats.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I had a 2000 Honda CRV with over 219,000 miles on it, under $2500 in maintenance over the 17 years I drove it. When it was time for a new car, I didn’t hesitate at all to buy a new Honda CRV. I love it!

Original review: April 25, 2018

The Honda CRV is a well made car and runs extremely well. It has great mileage on the highway and decent in town. It is not as smooth riding as a BMW but also not as expensive.

Original review: April 24, 2018

My 2013 Honda CRV's rpm is around 600 in gear so it vibrates so much when you stop at the red light. There's the same issue with 2015 CRV with a lawsuit and Honda settled HONDA TSB 15-046 to fix it but only for 2015.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The performance of the Honda CRV has been very good. I do not like the raised fenders (on the hood part) as they obstruct the view. The seat doesn’t raise up far enough for a short person like me 5’ 3”.

Original review: April 21, 2018

There are rust on the exhaust pipe of the new Honda CRV 2018 when I picked up it and marks on the rotors of the back brakes. I asked the dealer and was told they are all normal. And today the rubber cover around the front right body (above the wheel) was open. I sent the car to the dealer and they said it's because I hit the car somewhere and it's not warranted. If the car was hit, how come there are no scratches, no dent any all, only some marks of dirt that could be wiped out. Even if the car was hit by something, the rubber cover should not be so fragile. It's a vehicle supposed to be driven on rough road, not a piece of glass that I should hold in my hand carefully. This might happen even when The car runs over a bump, or been driven long time on highway if it's so fragile.

Other problems including noise from the window when driving on highway, noise from the engine when stop for traffic light, no power when going backward even over a little bump, have to speed up a couple times to back to the garage. All I got from the dealer about these complaints is "it's a new vehicle, new engine, it's supposed to be like these". I'm wondering what kind of vehicle I'm getting, a new car, or an 18 years old car. But the dealer said I can't compare this 2018 new car with my 18 years old car for these problems just by saying they are all normal. I'm wondering what's abnormal for a new vehicle???

Original review: April 4, 2018

I recently purchase a 2013 Honda CRV... Where do I start? I get a heavy vibration when vehicle in gear... If I turn the heater on it goes away. When nothing on in vehicle and you come to a stop I get a heavy vibration on the seat. I take the vehicle to the dealership. Say they aware of the problem. Lot of other customer complain but there is no fix from American Honda at this time. It's normal. I hope a lot more customer post their problem so Honda can come up with a fix... or I will just trade this vehicle away... very uncomfortable.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Purchased 2013 Honda CRV, flash drive has had problems since day one. My dealer agrees the car has a problem. Mystery 501 file appears, not on flash drive. Folder errors, 10 songs in folder, shows 18 with some stating unplayable? Went to Honda, they opened up a case file & then told me there was no problem. Have taken my case to the Better Business Bureau. So now we wait again for Honda to respond. BBB: Complaint ID **.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I bought a 2016 brand new HONDA CR-V. SINCE I bought the car the car vibrate on idle. Have taken the car to their mechanic and it was looked at multiple times. I will just be adding more miles to the car, and I've had enough going back and forth to get it looked at. The car has many reviews of people having the car fixed and it still has the vibration. It's a badly built car, a lemon, I want a replacement or full refund. I don't want to be given the run around for another 3 people to look at the car and nothing gets fixed. Honda obviously doesn't care for their customers because if they did they wouldn't push on a badly built car on their customers. I gave the car a chance already and it's not worth it.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I am a longtime Honda owner and foolishly decided to purchase a brand new 2016 CRV. Worst decision ever, significant, incessant vibration when car is idled/stopped. Known problem by Honda With no fix, loud road noise on the expressway, poor workmanship, cheap plastic parts. I do NOT recommend Honda.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I have owned 3 CRV's 2005, 2010, 2015, I keep them for about 130,000 miles before I trade them in. I have NEVER had a problem with any of them. I am currently looking at the 2018 which I really like but I don't have enough miles on this one to justify it. Great mpg, great carrying capacity, comfortable ride and all trouble free!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

The original battery of my Honda CRV keeps dying. Local Honda dealer did NOT cover the replacement and I have to pay $200 out of my pocket to replace. It's been only 3 years since I purchased the car and the battery is already draining out. I have been stranded in unsafe places as a result, waiting for roadside assistance to come jumpstart the car. When I took it to the local Honda Dealer (Dublin Honda), they said the battery is faulty and it's NOT covered under warranty and I have to pay out of pocket to replace it. I ended up paying $200 for replacement of battery and all the inconvenience of getting stranded at unsafe, unsecure places with my family in the car.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Where do I start!?? First off the thermostat was replaced and then the whole system flushed... still no help with heat. Then the mechanic drove it (2017 Honda CR-V) from my house and saw that going down the long hill into town the engine temperature gauge drops to C and then I have no heat. Idling, I have no heat. It was -17F last week. Now they say Honda said when the load on the engine is reduced, 2 of the 4 cylinders shut off for fuel efficiency and it's how it's supposed to work. Really?! The dealer's been great but Honda apparently doesn't care that those of us in the colder states freeze our ** off.

So that was yesterday... THIS morning all the warning lights light up my dash and say I have PROBLEMS with a whole slew of functions!! Luckily they now know me on a first name basis at the dealership and said that mine will join the other Hondas on their repair floor, this is happening a LOT. I'm not alone. What in the world, HONDA? This is my first and guaranteed last HONDA.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Leased new 2016 Honda CRV Touring in December 2016. Soon after I noticed that my GPS was not working correctly. While driving it shows no names of roads as you pass literally 15 cross streets. In some cases, as you approach a major intersection still no road ID. I mentioned this to the dealership Honda of Freehold and they indicated it works fine. Well it doesn't. I've been leasing Hondas and other vehicles for many years and have never experience this poor performance from a GPS. It works kind of crazy as when you pass major streets (with no names), it will give you a street name somewhere off of the main street. I will try again to bring this up with a Honda salesman the next service and see if anything comes of it. I know one thing for sure, the next time I lease, if it is a Honda, I will make my decision after I have checked the GPS operation. If it hasn't improved, goodbye Honda.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Bought a 2012 Honda CRV brand new. I always buy my cars brand new because I'm stickler on maintenance and care. I bought this car because I associated Honda with quality and had plans of driving the car into the ground. I got rid of it at 5 years old and 67K miles and found it to be junk and won't be looking at Honda ever again.

At three years of age I had issues with heat on the driver’s side vent being significantly cooler than the other vents. Honda has a TSB 14-063 out for this repair which will cost the owner around $250 to address. Buying the pump and doing it myself was a wash, so I had the dealer do it. Cross your fingers that it works and the dealer does it for the 1.5 hours that is suggested by Honda. My local dealer didn't and fortunately my dash cam documented their 25 minutes, otherwise I would have been sold a heater core. Honda Corporate had me take it to another dealer and had it re-done. Ridiculous on a three year old car, I have replaced one heater core and that was on a 25 year old car.

While at the dealership having the heater core, I also had the VTC Actuator replaced. The heater core and the VTC Actuator were both done in March of 2016. November 2016 when it got cold the grinding sound was back. It occurred after the vehicle sat all day or night long and when it was cold outside and was started. So Honda's new upgraded part didn't fix the issue. I lived with the grind happening off and on all winter long. It will eventually happen every time the car is started. October of 2017 when it got cold, around freezing, I had the grind two days in a row. Ridiculous that a gear in the motor has to be replaced at 3 years of age. And the fix not work.

I replaced the factory battery after 3 years with a high-end NAPA battery. Three years seems premature to me too. I have the same NAPA battery in another vehicle with zero issues. I put dash cameras in my CR-V and always found it odd that the cameras would shut down at what I thought was premature. I have a feature on them that will shut the cameras down if the battery voltage dropped below 11.8 volts so I could still start the car.

Sometimes they would shut down as soon as I turned off the car. I replaced the NAPA battery at 14 months of age. I have never had a battery with such a short lived life. I have the dash cameras in all three of my cars and one of them the battery is 11 years old and still works perfectly. When I replaced the battery I noticed my camera would function like my other vehicles without shutting down. As time went on the cameras would shut down due to the battery voltage dropping below 11.8 volts. Same camera in my newly purchased car with zero issues. No wires were spliced in any of the installs. Honda's eat batteries. Upon trading in the car it was on its third battery at 5 years of age.

Had an issue with the paint failing on the roof. The dealer looked at me like I was nuts and told me to take it to their body shop. Estimator said it was exactly what I thought and was surprised I noticed it and caught it when I did. Issue was about the size of me fingertip, but would eventually grow. Honda paid for a repaint. Replaced struts. No biggie, as it is to be expected. However the issue I have is that Honda has no adjustment for camber, so I had to install after market parts to give my car the ability to have camber adjustment so that I could get a proper alignment. While doing the struts the housing over the rear struts one of the bolts that attached the housing to the wheel well had no bolt and didn't for 5 years when the car was purchased new. And for 5 years I had weather getting into my vehicle rusting the strut housing. Honda paid for a new strut housing and bolt.

While doing my struts I noticed the grease boots on my front end were deteriorating at 67K miles. I have replaced front end parts at over 100K miles due to the parts wearing out. Not the grease boot failing. I have usually kept my cars for 10 plus years. I got rid of this one at 5 years and won't look back. Yes, I got Honda to make some of the repairs at their expense, but I wasn't going to be stuck with making the repairs at my expense later on. All of these issues are uncalled for a 5 year old vehicle. And was causing me more issues than cars that I had that were more than double the age of this one.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I taken my 2015 model CRV to Honda service centre after the vibration at idle become severe. (It was there from day one but ignored it as it was not that noticeable, but for last a few month it increased). At the service center they applied Honda recommended mode 1 and 3 repair, but that didn't fix the issue. So I reached out to Honda customer care, and taken my car multiple ties to the same service centre as per the case manager suggested. Unfortunately they couldn't fix the issue, and now case manager is saying that is the "characteristic" of the car!!! Seriously? Since this vibration is vivid and too annoying I can prove it easily, so I requested the case manager to consider taking a second opinion at a different Honda service center to make sure the fix they applied is proper.

His response was shocking, he adamantly said "you can take the car wherever you want, but as per Honda this is the characteristic of the car." Also he was not ready to give that in black and white, also denied my request to get case summary. I bought this car in May 2015 and it covered around 19k when I first reported the issue to the service centre, but it is under warranty. Now I am confused what to do next, Honda is not participating on arbitration program. There are already several lawsuits against Honda on this issue (consolidated in Ohio case #**), but there is no more information about final verdict.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Our CRV has been put through the ringer and keeps running and running well. It's the best vehicle I have owned and I highly recommend it. Families or single, you can't go wrong.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Honda has had problems with this (Sudden Unexplained Acceleration) before, I know. But I love my CRV and have driven one since 2009. Once before I had a problem while pulling into a parking place in a hospital parking garage. I chalked it up to missing the brake pedal and hitting the accelerator. However, last Thursday - while pulling into a parking place at my doctor's office - my car suddenly accelerated, running up an embankment and over 4 shrubs before coming to a stop but not before hitting a Chrysler 300 that was parked across from me.

I told the officer that investigated the crash that "my foot must have slipped off the brake pedal and onto the accelerator." He was amazed that I had generated enough power to go as far as I did. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the car had become "possessed" and had taken over my driving. Even after I took my foot off of whatever pedal I was pressing on, the car continued to accelerate and it took both feet stomping on the brake pedal to bring the car to a stop (or the other car). It has been explained to me that there is a computer in charge of signaling the throttle, not the accelerator, which presents this problem. Honda - fix this issue!!!

Original review: June 28, 2017

I own a 2005 Honda CRV and won't part with it! When I saw it in the showroom I immediately said out loud "I want that!" It had just the right styling, sleekness and attitude with its gleaming color of white, contrasts of red rear light, rear spare tire and running boards. It would be nice to buy a new one but the current styling looks nothing like the SUV it once was. There are a lot of vintage CRV owners holding on to their old ones hoping, waiting and wanting the styling to revert back and won't buy a new one because not only do they not look like an SUV, they are UGLY! By the way, my friend owns a 2003 and feels exactly the same. As we drive together on the freeway we comment on every new one we see; now a kind word is spoken. Honda, what were you thinking?

Honda CRV Company Information