Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.58/5

Honda CRV

The Honda CR-V is a crossover SUV. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

340 Honda CRV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My 2009 Honda CR-V was a great car. Unfortunately my son totaled it and I looked into replacing it with a new CRV or a Subaru. I chose the CR-V because it felt like more car than the Forester. I'm very disappointed that I did. I live in the Northeast and had a $250 car starter purchased from Best Buy on the 09. This worked so much better than the one that comes with the 19. It worked at a greater distance and stayed on longer. The 19 only stays on 10 minutes and the car is nowhere near warm. It says you can do it twice but I haven't been able to get it to work. The heater in the 09 was MUCH better than the 19. The 09 also had a "Auto" feature on the heat that didn't allow the car to blow cold air until it was warmed up. This just blows cold air and you have to manually turn the fan off.

The seats are lower in the car than the 09. I liked sitting up and if I wanted a sports car then I'd buy one. There is only half the space in the cargo area because the dealer told me that people didn't like the shelf. Really? That hard shelf gave you twice the carrying space and if you didn't want it you could put it on the bottom. Beside that the space is much smaller. The 19 has more power but overall I'm very sorry I bought it and I'm not impressed with the design and lack of features. I miss my 09.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My 2017 CRV has a definite defect in the seatbelt on the driver's side. I have had to wrap tape around parts that are sharp and tearing clothing. Honda claims that this is the design and nothing can be done about it. This is an expensive car and I feel this tape should not be necessary. They refuse to even look at it. I have verified the problem with two Honda dealers and they both agree that there is a problem. If you are thinking of buying a 2017 CRV, please be aware of this defect.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My 2015 Honda CRV has 35095 mile on it and is at the dealer with a warped cylinder head. The cost of repair is estimated at $4000. Honda Customer Service has decided that since they could not determine why the cylinder head failed, they would not cover any of the costs to repair under their 5 yr 60,000 mi warranty. Looking at other reviews on this site, it's apparent that Honda's warranty is worthless. Lesson Learned - do not believe reports on vehicle reviews in Consumer Reports. I'm going back to GM products.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

2018 Honda mis-steps: 1) No CD player although aging boomers are one of your largest buyer segments and we still like music and books on CD. Now, I have to buy an adapter to plug into the outlets and use a portable CD player which is a safety hazard to manipulate while driving. 2) No pocket on the back of the driver seat – another big segment of your buyers is young mothers and grandparents who utilize the pockets to carry kids toys and things to occupy them. Now only one grandchild has a toy storage pocket which leads to fighting in the back seat. 3) Aging boomers cannot see the temperature or mileage gauge without readers or leaning toward the steering wheel. A redundant digital clock in the same area as the outside temperature gauge and mileage and is in a readable font size – why did you reduce the font size of the other information in that area?

4) The turning radius is awful. In my 2015 CRV I could back into any parking space but I have to start the backup and then have to pull forward and line-up the car to back-up now. The car creaks whenever you turn at any sharp angle. 5) Why did you remove the camera on the passenger side mirror??? I used it on my daily commute on the interstate to gauge where there was a possible clear spot to change lanes. It allowed me to keep my sight forward with a subtle glance to the center screen to monitor when to change lanes. Now I have to look in the rearview mirror which takes my sight off the cars in front of me. The warning light doesn’t always warn of cars just outside of the blindspot. I’ve almost had several wrecks in the commute time traffic. My daughter has my 2015 and it is a much safer vehicle.

6) The security screen over the rear storage area is not as sturdy as the one in the 2015 model. 7) I hate the auto-correct drive. If I don’t turn my signal on to merge off the interstate it tries to jerk me back into the lane I’m exiting. I’m going to turn off this feature because it tries to jerk me whenever the lane markings are not exactly straight on the pavement. It grabs my brake when I’m already slowing down to brake. I’m there – I am a better judge of the traffic flow and what speed I need to brake to keep from being rear-ended.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have a Honda CRV which is the 3rd one I've purchased new: 2005, 2007, 2018. With 4,500 miles on it the defrost/heat does not work and gas smell on the oil dipstick. This seems to be a flaw in the Dream Engine motor of 2017 and 2018. Honda knew of this issue and claims it is only in cold states and Canada. They continued to sell these vehicles knowing it was a problem. They have issued a TSB not a recall and depending on what state you live in you will receive a notice to fix your vehicle.

Well I live in AR not Minnesota or Canada! So what the heck am I supposed to do...continue to drive my $30,000 vehicle with gas in the oil damaging the engine while they continue to sell this car! They claim it's not a safety issue- well try driving with an unclear windshield and also I would have never spent my hard earned money on a vehicle with an engine flaw!!!! Honda I want my money back! Horrible customer service and even worse taking it in to dealerships and being told it's normal to have to drive your car to heat it up or that gas in the oil is normal as well! Do Not Buy this vehicle!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Maybe I got a lemon, but if you look on Honda CR-V forums you will see others with the same multiple issues that I encountered all within the years I owned the SUV. Here's the list of everything I encountered, this is not in the order the issues happened. Faulty Tpms light always going on. Grinding noise for 2-3 when starting it in the cold sounded like it had no oil (VTC problem). Multiple types of annoying Vibrations while at idle and driving around 20-30mph and sometimes at 50 mph. A harmonic hum/whine coming from up front between 40-55 mph would sometimes be heard over the radio.

Rotors needing to turned or replace every 20,000 miles sometimes less. Vehicle seemed to never stay aligned. Rims leaked from the inside out. Lug Nuts seemed to not fit right at times. Head lights were never bright enough. Compass always needed to be recalibrated. Vehicle had a miss or hesitation at times that always needed the computer to be flashed or updated.

There was some more things but I don't want to bore you with them. Honda used to be very dependable but with all this going on I couldn't see owning it when it was going to be out of warranty. Honda has slipped up the past few years, to me it's just another car manufacturer nothing special anymore, very overrated and overpriced. I replaced this problematic 2014 CRV with a 2019 Buick Encore which has been a wonderful delight and very underrated by multiple review places. So if you considering a 2012-2014 you better research and make sure you don't go through all the problems I had. Not highly recommend if you don't want to see the service department on a regular basis.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I bought my 2018 Honda CR-V less than a year ago and right from the get-go I noticed that the audio system was messing up, with the biggest issue being that all AM and FM preset stations are being wiped out. I reset them over and over and on one occasion I could not get a pre-set to stick for more than 5-10 seconds. This went on for 20 minutes until I finally turned the car off. This is just one of many issues that I have. Others include Bluetooth connectivity doesn't always work or recognize my commands, Sirius XM stations don't always play in "real time" - meaning that if I switched a SXM station and went back to it 30 minutes later, the same song would be playing and in the same spot where it was when I changed the channel.

I have brought it to the dealer several times, and the first time all they did is reset a button which did absolutely nothing. After about 7 months the dealership claimed Honda was now aware of the problem and is trying to"upgrade their software." Jump ahead 3 months and dealer is telling me the same story. They won't/can't fix it, they have not offered to replace it and here I just sit waiting. In the meantime, Honda continues to sell vehicles with their defective technology to unsuspecting consumers like myself and are not standing behind their product as they should. I should add the salesperson that sold me my car admitted that her husband's Honda Civic had the same problems with the radio presets, so it's not just the CR-V.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Honda is costing battery retailers a lot of money: There are many 2012 CRV owners who are going through batteries at a very fast rate, myself included. Honda is aware that the CRV electrical system is causing battery drain. But customers, like myself, are just going to AutoZone to get replacement batteries because the batteries are still under warranty. I wish AutoZone and other battery retailers would put some pressure on Honda to address this issue. Everyone involved is negatively affected by their inaction. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

This car is used to transport kids. It has less than $5,000 miles on it when the "driveline" just fell off. That is the report from the dealership service department. The bolts were lose or something they say. Two weeks to repair. Let's hope it actually happens. They told me they have seen one other with this issue. Probably within their dealership.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Almost every time when I drive my 2017 Honda CR-V AWD in a snow or heavy rain I'm getting "Radar obstructed" and all radar related systems are failing -- adaptive cruise control, line control, departure control, distance control etc. Car is turning in the old classic car where you have only wheel, gas and breaks. Nothing else is working. One time display refuse to turn off and change volume no matter what you do or which button to push. Several times display started blinking on and off quickly showing and hiding the brightness bar.

Today when I was driving on a highway ALL SYSTEMS failed! Power steering, Power Breaks and all safety systems failed. Dashboard was all yellow and red like a x-mas tree! When I managed to pull off highway and stopped on red light I was not able to go on green -- car jas jumping like a kangaroo because breaks refused to release. And every time after I turn car off and restarted it all problems are disappearing. I took my car to the dealer 3-4 times, they retained it for a day every time, did a full diagnostic, but could not find any problems. Honda CR-V 2017 has a great mechanical portion and absolutely terrible and buggy software! Buy it at your own risk!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

We bought it brand new in Hawaii. From the start we had issues with the air conditioner. Even with extended warranty, Honda was not fixing the problem. Once the warranty expired, we had to pay to get it “fixed”. A month after the “fix” the AC broke down again. It took an irate woman (me) to finally get them to look at the issue and they fixed it. But remember it was no longer under warranty. During warranty they never repaired it correctly. It now has about 100,000 miles and we have put in an additional $8,000+ in repairs for different things over time. The latest was an oil leak and a month later the power steering. We have always serviced it at a Honda dealership and we have always followed the maintenance schedule. We had a similar experience with our Honda Odyssey. Needless to say we just bought 2 Subarus and are hoping to have a better experience.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

We purchased the car in November of 2017. At just over 9000 miles all the warning lights came on along with warning messages. One of which was "Brake Problem." Returned it to the dealer and they said it needed a computer program update. Two days later the same issue happened again. I told them I didn't feel safe driving the car so they came and got it and kept it for a few days. They said it needed another update. They did another update.

After the second update, two days later the same issue again. After looking online again for this issue, I came across a Consumer Reports page about this issue and they stated that many of these complaints were combined with gasoline being in the oil. I went out and checked mine and sure enough, gasoline in the oil. I called the dealer and American Honda and they said they knew of the issue but didn't have a fix for it. We have returned the vehicle to the dealer and are in the process of getting a refund under the "Lemon Law." This issue is happening in the 2017 and 2018 CRVs with this engine only...

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

First new car in over 10 years. Previously had a Hyundai Tucson, and this was a big upgrade for me. Happy overall with my purchase, but cannot understand why they put such a CHEAP carpet in this car! It is hard to clean it and everything sticks to it, and also it looks cheap and low quality. Feel like they really shortchanged consumers on this very nice car, that has really terrible carpet in it. Looks like the carpet in a much lower end vehicle. Luckily, I paid extra for the WeatherTech floor mats and that helps hide it a little. Still, so wrong of Honda to do this.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Updated on 11/07/2018: After encountering cruise control issues now I am having other electrical issues in the car i.e. road mitigation failure, driver assistance failure, brake system failure. Honda has assigned a case manager. Let's see if they want to replace this lemon car or not.

Original Review: I am medical student working for hospital. I usually wake up at 4:00 am to start my shift at 5:45 am. I live in Washington DC metro area and I am lucky that the time I drive to work I don't encounter any traffic. I am Honda lover since childhood, I also own Honda Civic 2016 which worked great for almost 3 years with 40000 miles. Today I am reviewing about the issues I facing with my new 2018 CRV EX. I bought this car few months ago and since last few months I was facing issues. My lane departure and lane assistance were already nonfunctional time to time but Honda Tysons didn't bothered to fix these issues during my visit to them last week for regular maintenance service. They did full inspection of my CRV and also certified the car with Virginia safety inspection standards despite a tire leakage in my rear wheel and these above issues along with faulty AC.

Anyways today on 10/22 while I was driving to work my cars started giving me warnings. Its emergency braking turned off and off by itself, I tried to stop the car but it got fixed automatically then the car gave me another warning of cruise failure and then after some time I got message regarding CMBS failure, LKAS failure, RDM failure. I was shocked and was so scared and did try to stop the car but didn't work. I took a risk and managed to take a picture of the dash meter for evidence at a speed of 60 miles per hours. The car still had the issue but I managed to drive safe at work. I am attaching a picture here and requesting Honda to fix this issue and take their faulty car back. Neither me and nor my wife feel safe to drive this car anymore. We are scared to drive this car and we love our lives. Give me a call to settle this issue or I'll take this case to court. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This car has major issues with its transmissions. Two transmissions and three torque converters within 90k miles and Honda finds that acceptable so don’t waste your time trying the customer service. Even the dealer I purchased the vehicle from noted issues with the drivetrain but Honda refuses to place out a recall. My advise buy a Toyota - they stand behind their products.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

It’s Happened to me 4 times. I have Honda CR-V 2018, very like this car, this is my second CRV I had before 2016 and know I got 2018. The big problem and hopefully is not gonna risk my life, the automatic emergency brakes brakes by itself with no accident no things in the front of the car, it’s could cause an accident anytime and it’s happened to me 4 times. I want to know if someone had my experience. Last incident it was in the 3rd of October 2018, I’m gonna share the dash camera video with you, sorry the dash cam sound was disabled.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

2011 CRV bought as a 'certified used' in 2015 - was maintained well. In 2018 blew a head gasket/twisted cylinder head. Over $5k in out of pocket expenses for repairs/rentals and six weeks of being out of a car. Car had 54k miles when it died and was traded for salvage.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Just purchased our first Honda, a CR-V EX-L AWD, in June, 2018. Soon learned that my hands-free phone had lots of distorted background noise on the recipient's end of the call. The distortion sounded like my windows were down (they weren't); I was underwater (I wasn't) and got worse with higher rates of speed. The dealer service dept. at first denied the problem, then replaced both microphones, updated the software, paired different phones both with my vehicle and with other new vehicles off the lot, all to no avail. They said there was nothing else they could do.

At this point, I had visited and/or contacted the dealer 14 times in a 3-month period. I called Honda Customer Service. After reviewing my complaints, they told me that since the actual distortion was "not happening INSIDE my vehicle, the hands-free component could not be labeled defective or faulty, that it was working as it was designed to work, and that it cannot be improved upon." They told me "CASE CLOSED." I will never buy another Honda.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I bought a 2015 Honda CRV new for my wife. At 30,000 miles, battery went completely dead with no warning. Left my wife stranded. At 60,000 miles transmission pickup sensor module died. Left wife completely stranded again. Had to drive to her again. This car is completely unsafe for a woman to operate alone.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Purchased a certified used Honda CRV just short of 3 yr/36000 warranty expiring. Battery failed within 100 miles of purchase. Honda replaced battery under the manufacturing warranty at no cost. The replacement battery (brand new they say) failed 1 year on (7500 miles). Honda charged full price for second replacement. Their much advertised 100 month limited warranty only is in place if you PURCHASE the replacement battery. So if Honda replace a faulty battery within the manufacturer's warranty period that replacement battery has absolutely no warranty on it the moment you touch 36001 miles/3yrs 1 day.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V new in EX-L trim level. The issue with gasoline mixing with the oil was known from the 2017 model but did not seem prevalent. No problem before the oil change at about 7K miles. But continuously checked the oil level (most owners would not do this on a new car) at about 10K miles. When I needed to top off the windshield washer reservoir I checked the oil and it was elevated to where the orange indicator piece meets the metal dipstick (about 10-12mm).

Called American Honda and opened a case number and took it to the nearest dealership. They tested each individual cylinder, no codes or check engine lights (but they did admit that was indeed gasoline mixing in the oil) changed the oil and filter and sent me on my way. They said that Honda was aware of the issue but currently no fix. Gas which breaks down oil is a serious problem on any vehicle. Most especially one that has a Turbo!!! Do not take a chance on the 1.5L Turbo engine or at least wait until what the 2019 engine offerings are and skip the Turbo. Other than this serious cancer, it's a great set of wheels!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I own a 1999 CRV--very happy with it-in researching to upgrade to a newer CRV I have discovered some newer generation problems-from 2002 till current 2018--I will not deal with electrical problems or vehicles going up in smoke! Off the top the rattling you all hear is from the cam chain the cam tensioner is spring applied with oil pressure overide--at start up before the oil pressure comes up the chain is still loose and rattles until pressure is up--in the cold north with thick oil this takes a while.

The tensioner is not built to last the test of time and oil will leak past the piston and become quite ineffective--the second problem with vibrating at low rpm/idle from what I read is caused by 2 of the 4 cylinders cutting out and creating the vibration-this is a system Honda put in to save fuel--I could go on with a/c problems and others that Honda disregards because it will cost them money.

In the meantime they are losing customers by the thousands--just saw a video of an Acura going up in flames from fire under the hood--oh lets touch on the step on the brakes but the vehicle accelerates--from a 3 time Honda owner--hope Honda won't sue me because I am not worth much---this from a little town in Northern B.C Canada.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have been a Honda buyer in the past. Honda CR-V is a great performing comfortable car and I like everything about it. I like the backup camera and the maneuverability of driving this car. The size and feel of the car while driving is unique. It feels like a much smaller car. This car looks good going down the road and we get very good gas mileage. We very often use the car on long trips. I would recommend it as it is.

Original review: June 19, 2018

The Honda CRV is roomy, comfortable to drive and has many of the safety features I was looking for in a new car. I particularly like the backup camera and the lane notification. This was the roomiest of the SUVs that I looked at and one that I could climb into easily as most weren't easily accessible since I am less than 5 feet tall. But I would get a better navigation system since this one does not recognize new streets and a better voice recognition system. This one does not always recognize my voice and then I have to pull over and put the number in manually.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We looked at many cars like Nissan and Toyota. Honda stood out. We love it and are very happy with it. I chose Honda CRV over other models because my previous Honda lasted a very long time with no problems and was very reliable. I purchased it a couple years ago and it's comfortable. The stereo is really good and easy to teach controls. Love the backup camera too. The car's easy to see out of. No problems changing lanes anymore. The lock seems little backwards but I am use to it. It is the best car I've ever owned.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I absolutely LOVE my Honda CR-V. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned! It rides, drives like a race car, but feels like a luxury car. It gets great gas mileage and is extremely easy to park. I chose it because I had bought a Honda Odyssey, which has over 250,000 miles on it and still going. I knew it would be a reliable car which is what I need. I like the fact that there is no hump in between the seats in the back as do the individuals who ride in it. The only thing I wish my Honda CR-V had would be in-car wifi or built in navigation. The camera isn't the best, but it's fine for what I use it for. I also wish my car had a larger gas tank. It seems a bit small for the size of the car overall.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Being an SUV, the Honda CRV sits higher up. It's big enough to feel safe without feeling like driving a bus. And it's fairly roomy inside and versatile enough for crooks uses and need. Also, its standard transmission gives the car just a bit more pep than auto transmission. The car is reliable and had kept its value very well. It does not look outdated although the standard model is very basic and looks economical and is not sleek. There are not many upgrades as well and there's lots of road noise compared to other cars. But the only real problem with the CRV is battery.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The 2005 Honda CR-V I own has been driven across the country multiple times with very little issues ever. The car now has over 250 thousand miles and is still going strong. Very reliable car. Its size is really great. It's compact just enough but big enough to fit everything I need in it for long trips. The gas mileage is good as well. Heated seats would be nice, as well as being able to take out the back seats fully would be great for lugging big objects and moving. Also it would allow me to put an air mattress in the back which is a really great option to do when traveling.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought the Honda CRV used in 2012 and since have maintained and serviced the car for major service repairs and upkeep. I feel safe in the car as it is well built. It is very reliable. I like that there is a lot of eye room to see outside with only a few blind spots. I also like the draw underneath the front passenger seat. But, I would like the car to have a back door that lifted up instead of having to open it from the left like you do a side by side fridge. This is a 2000 model and new models now open by lifting the door.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've enjoyed having the vehicle. It's the 1st SUV I've owned and I've had it for almost 13 years. It's held up well with no major repairs, only normal maintenance and expected replacements, eg. tires and battery. I bought it because I was looking for a small SUV with a manual, floor shift, with a 5th forward gear for economy. Also, Honda has an excellent reputation for quality. I like the added cargo space that comes with it. I also like the manual floor shift, which, unfortunately, is no longer available. However I would want a slightly wider wheelbase for windy conditions and for the spare tire to NOT be under the vehicle. I also would like to know where the fuel pump reset button/switch is located.

Honda CRV Company Information