3.5/5 (36 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Honda CRV

The Honda CR-V is a crossover SUV. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Honda CRV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?

Original review: May 30, 2020

We had a 2016 Honda CRV that used to have a locking system that you had to push a button. The 2019 Honda CRV now has an electronic unlocking system. However, if your hand does not position correctly, it has one beep that it locked again. You have to withdraw hand and put hand in right position and get two beeps before it will unlock. This is ridiculous, especially in inclement weather! Go back to a button system. Neither the 2016 or the 2019 has convenient anchor hooks in the cargo area that are actually useful. The cloth seats are so hard I have to use a pillow to cushion my butt.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I purchase a 2014 Honda CRV. From day one every time I started the car the starter made a funny noise. With only 40,000 miles on it after 5 years I had to replace the starter. My mechanic told me it was an engineering issue as they placed the starter under or by the manifold which due to the heat of the manifold was burning the started out. Also due to the difficulty of putting the new starter in it cost me $695.00 (really for a starter but because the starter was placed by manifold that is what it cost me to replace.) One year later the starter is now making the same noise so I called Honda to see if they would cover the next starter. They told me no and the CRV only has 47,000 miles on it now. How dare Honda not cover this. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have leased two Honda CRVs (one 2016 and one 2018) over the last 3 years. During that time I have had lots of issues with both vehicles, resulting in me trading in the 2016 for the newer one, only to have the same or similar issues with the 2018. I have taken the 2018 to O’Brien Honda (formerly Brad Barker) of Bloomington, a Honda dealership in Peoria, a reputable shop in Decatur, IL and to a reputable shop in Bloomington, IL.

My primary issue with this car is its drivability. When I am driving the CRV, it is difficult to keep on the road because it darts to the left and to the right. It also pulls to the left and to the right making steering a challenge. I have taken my car to different places at my own cost to try and figure out the problem because when I drive on the interstate I have to go slow, around 60 mph, because otherwise it is difficult to drive it safely. I have two boys who are always with me and they notice it jumps around when they are in the back seat. I need to be able to drive and transport my children in a safe, reliable vehicle. The two CRVs I have owned are far from safe given these issues.

I have expressed my driving and safety concerns to all four of the service shops I have taken my car to. Inevitably, the shops tell me it requires an alignment. I am constantly aligning this car. When I took it to the Honda dealership in Peoria they aligned the car and within four days it was out of alignment again. I took the car to another shop and they told me it was out of alignment. How can that be after four days? I have also put tires on the CRV and nothing helps. I have spoken with District Managers about this. They give me the runaround also telling me nothing is wrong with the car. Even when I pushed back, the District Manager agreed to have the car aligned but within one day it was out again.

I am always taking my car to other shops for a 2nd opinion because the Honda dealerships do not resolve these issues after multiple visits and conversations with their service personnel. The shop I most recently took it to in Bloomington, IL told me they think there is a suspension problem or other issue causing the alignment not to last. I have made complaints to Honda and also made a complaint using the chat area of the website stating my unhappiness with the dealer’s service. At this point I have exhausted all options and am not in a financial position to trade this car in for something different. Honda is supposed to have reputation for being safe, reliable, long lasting vehicle. My experience has been anything but those things. I am very disappointed in the lack of concern and consideration at the Honda dealerships.

Given nobody can figure out what is going on with my car and nobody is willing to provide a different car for me to drive, I have consulted an attorney to determine my options. They recommend letting Honda know that I am reporting the company to Consumer Affairs for not properly fixing my car thereby rendering it unsafe to drive. I would like to work out these issues so I can keep this car but not when it is not driving safely. I have borrowed friend’s cars when driving outside city limits, or on the interstate, because of the way the CRV drives. That should not be necessary when this car is only a 2018.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The transient electrical problems with antilock brakes and display are very unnerving. I even took an 8 minute video to the dealer and they said try to bring it to them during the occurrence. Will not purchase another Honda.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I like the car but I am not a fan of the visibility. I have a hard time judging when another car is in the blindspot area. The back side windows are small. The engine has good kick when I need it, and my tall kids have more than enough legroom in the backseat.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I have a 2005 Honda CRV. It has been a great vehicle and I would definitely purchase another one. The only downside to the CRV is the newer models have a much smaller cargo area and I have two very large dogs that barely fit in the larger 2005 model. I may have to upgrade to a Pilot due to the smaller cargo size and the newer model.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Our CRV is amazing. It runs like a race car (turbo) and gets wonderful mileage. It has a sea of electronic goodies for your safety and comfort. I sometimes joke I need a college course to operate it lol. I see many Hondas running still with over 250,000 miles as daily drivers. Get ya one and see for yourself...

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I have owned a Honda Accord, Civic, Prelude and now CR-V. All really great cars. Thoughts about 2019 CR-V Touring. 1.5L turbo: Excellent gas mileage. (30 City is possible.) (Currently 32 after road trip.) There is an eco-mode which computer regulates fuel efficiency. Excellent solid ride. Holds road very well. Tracks straight without road wander. Great visibility of road. Excellent blind side alert system in side mirrors. A light comes on in mirror if car is in blind spot, and sound alert (beep) if you hit your turn signal and car is in blind spot. Excellent back up camera. Really looks sideways with alarm if there is traffic. Excellent luggage space. Even giant space with back seat down. Good looking vehicle. Areas for improvement: The 1.5L turbo has a growl or groaning sound upon acceleration from a stop. The CR-V needs more seat padding. The gauge cluster is deep in the dash and needs better visibility. The CR-V needs tire pressure visible.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

The car is fun to drive, does well in curves. It is above average on mpg. I think that Honda could include a better quality seat belt, one that does not wrinkle.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Top of the line 2017 Honda CR-V, cost less than fully loaded Subaru Outback. Extremely comfortable front seats, lots of room in backseat. Starting to have some trouble with right rear window, and GPS is finicky.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Exterior looks great. Interior very spacious for this class. A lot of safety features but a finicky touch screen. Sight lines aren't great but sound system and comfort are. Engine is noisy for a 1.5 liter turbo-charged one and not powerful when merging on to highway traffic. Keyless entry and door lock system can be unreliable as well as the the hands free trunk hatch opener. Overall I am happy with my purchase of 2019 Honda CRV.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

We’ve owned two over the last 12 years. Very little trouble with regular maintenance. Only problem we ever had was with the Air conditioner in the first one we bought and that was covered by warranty. Very happy with price, service and dependability on this car!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I love my 2002 Honda CRV. It still drives like a charm. Low maintenance even after all this time. Have only had to replace the tires and catalytic converter. It's AWD handles the snow nicely. All in all I have been very pleased with this purchase.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I bought a new 2016 Honda CRV AWD EX. The vehicle currently has approximately 220,000 miles on it. I still drive it, commuting over 120 miles four times a week. It handles the snow with ease. It has been an extremely reliable and capable vehicle and I will not hesitate to buy another Honda.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I'm happy with my 2015 Honda CRV because it rides good, looks good, has lots of great features, gets decent mileage and is reliable. I changed the tires and wheels and keep it clean. I get compliments and questions about it in parking lots. People think it's new.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I have owned four of these vehicles. The last two have been the best and most comfortable cars I've ever owned. I always buy the expensive models which is the touring but if is optioned just the way I like them. I do not like the Hankook Tires. They are not up to the same level of quality as the car. They generate a lot of road noise in a very short time.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Brought the car home new. Lock it up, someones knocking at the door in the evening. Neighbor asks if I left the rear hatch up/open. I hadn't, car had all doors closed and locked when I got home. Go shopping and locked the doors but find them unlocked when I get back. Neighbor notifies me again that hatch is wide open. Have to take the car in for servicing. Map constantly malfunctions and can't locate common, long established buildings or roadways. When dealer could have downloaded updated maps on their super high speed internet they tell me to go home and do it.

App gives me notice it could take several hours to download. New map info/ updates downloaded and it still cant find anything. Fails 9 times out of 10, have to resort to using my phone's map and GPS function instead. Seat belt is down in lowest position but still cuts into my upper neck when engaged, this happens even with a seat cushion to raise my position. Auto brake is always alerts and tries to engage when there is more than adequate space from other vehicles. In fact, in most cases, my foot is,already on the brake slowing the vehicle down. Alerts to parked cars that aren't in the way. "Driver attention low" alert comes on even when traversing winding mountainous roads that require constant turning and vigilance (there's more movement than usual maneuvering the turns and checking mirrors at frequent intervals). Sorry I got the car, on pins and needles wondering what else will happen.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Well thought out and designed car. Many advanced safety features makes it a dream to drive. The CRV has come a long way from a fairly utilitarian rig to a luxury model. The Garmin Nav is a vast improvement over the old clunky Honda Nav system.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

My 2018 Honda CR-V practically drives itself. Honda focuses on excellence, durability, dependability, and comfort. There are so many features on this car. For instance, the cruise control will automatically slow down if the traffic ahead of me shows down, and resume the set speed once it gets moving again. The windshield wipers are automated. They come on when it rains and go off again when there is no moisture. The headlights are also automated. They not only come on by themselves when it starts to get dark, but they also auto switch between bright and dim. And it also lets me know if I cross one of the lines or if a car suddenly brakes in front of me, it will also brake automatically. It has great gas mileage, I am at 29.8 mpg so far and it has been slowly climbing. It is comfortable, and roomy. And it is a very stylish car!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I have been a Honda CRV owner for over 7 years, this is my second CRV. I love the vehicle. Very reliable and versatile for an SUV. Will recommend this vehicle to one and all. Rides very smooth on highways and on city roads.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

HONDA CRV'S vehicles are good and they run a long time. It seems like they have good mileage for the roads and they are dependable for going to and from your appointments. They have been very good cars and a lot of people have them.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I recently purchased a 2019 Honda CRV with a full cash payment. I was very happy with my purchase...until a neighbor called and told me all of my windows were down and that it was starting to snow. When I went outside, all of my windows were down! I went online and found that this is a “feature” on news cars that no one is warning buyers about. It happened again the other day, and I have no idea how long my windows were rolled down for.

The service center said they have no cars without that feature and cannot do anything about it. I am constantly concerned that my windows will roll down and my SUV will be damaged or burglarized. I specifically asked for a physical key when I bought the car, and asked about the buttons. I was told it is a regular key, and the buttons lock and unlock the doors or open the trunk. No one mentioned that if keys press against the button my car can open from 50 feet away without my knowledge! I went to the service center and they said it cannot be fixed. I called Honda USA and they said it cannot be fixed and there are no cars without this option. I wasted almost $30,000 on a car that I’m worried will open up to the elements and the public every time I sit down somewhere.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Excellent safety features. Comfortable ride. I love the fact that it is slightly higher than a Sedan. It is easier to get in and out of. Negatives- When you drive over a wet road the water gets on the inside of the door. I took it to the service department with no positive results. 2nd negative. I love the automatic hatch back lift. However, I think there should be an optional netting across the back. When you open the hatch back you can not keep items from falling on the ground if you have a heavy load or the items shifted. I have had things fall out the back and the other day I saw a stroller fall on a lady when she opened the back.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

This small SUV is perfect for me. It is easy to get in and out, not low to the ground, or so high you would have to climb up into it. The backup camera is great, with several angle viewing options. I have found the versatility of the back seats extremely useful. I can fold up the seat bottom, or fold down the back. I like sitting up higher than a car, but not having to maneuver a huge vehicle in traffic. The camera coming on with the turn signal is wonderful, it allows you to see what would otherwise be a blind spot. I highly recommend the Honda CRV!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I just purchased my fourth Honda. The reliability and body integrity have been better than any other car makes I have owned. Service is good - I can even take my car in when the tire pressure is low and have air put in my tires. I have never had small annoyances such as loose trim, rattles, etc., that I have had with many other brands.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Our Honda CR-V has a leather interior, which is great for pets as the hair doesn't stick to any fabric. The seats are way comfortable and we have the heated option - great for chilly days. It's too hard though to plug in the phone in the console however, so they missed the boat on console features. Overall we like the car~.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Reliable, good gas, good set up with iPhone, nice storage space, though seems to be a lot of plastic on the outside of the car, which is cheap to fix since I have been dinged a few times but overall a great car.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

2017 Honda CR-V. I love the space, cargo room and comfort, but I don't feel like I'm driving a boat. Very comfortable car to drive. I've never had adaptive cruise control before, and now I can't live without it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

This is the best car I have ever had. I have had this suv for 7 years and I have 248 thousand miles on it. All that has been done to it is normal maintenance. New battery, tires, breaks, rotors, some suspension parts, and vtec valve. I have towed a lot of trailers as well. I can't say enough about the performance. Bought Michelin tires, rotated them and they lasted slightly over 80 thousand miles without an alignment. Gets about 27 to 28 miles per gallon all around. I have an all wheel drive and it performs excellent in the winter. I live in the country on a private rd, Whither Hills, and the crv navigates the driveway well. I will purchase another crv when I do purchase another vehicle for my wife.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I bought a CRV EX in September 19 2018 and it had some problem with the brake pumps since it was a week old (300 + miles). The Dealer Roush Honda in Columbus Ohio, replace the parts for a “supposedly better parts than the substandard parts from India used at the assembly line”. The breaks have not work properly for the most part, and event though I complain several times, the dealer claim the noise in the brakes was normal. Two weeks ago, a metal to metal sound when you step on the brakes lightly when backing up, I took it to the dealer, and they told me it was “a few rust pots” on the routers, they shave them off some without my knowledge or authorization and charge Honda for it since the car is still under warranty.

The car has only 10000 miles and it is parked in a dry garage protected from the weather, I drive it at least once a day. They could not explain how according to them I had “few” rust spots on the routers. Whatever repair the dealer did has not change the clank sound for better words to describe it. I have seen in the internet there is more than one CRV model (2017, 2018, 2019) with the same brake problem. Frankly, I would never buy again a Honda Car, the quality is not there and they give customers the runaround since they new the cars they are producing are subpar. If one sees how many recalls and law suits the company has is beyond believed. Conclusion, do not buy a Honda car truck etc.

Honda CRV Company Information