2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.79/5

The Honda CR-V is a crossover SUV. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Honda CRV Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda CRV?

Original review: May 30, 2020

We had a 2016 Honda CRV that used to have a locking system that you had to push a button. The 2019 Honda CRV now has an electronic unlocking system. However, if your hand does not position correctly, it has one beep that it locked again. You have to withdraw hand and put hand in right position and get two beeps before it will unlock. This is ridiculous, especially in inclement weather! Go back to a button system. Neither the 2016 or the 2019 has convenient anchor hooks in the cargo area that are actually useful. The cloth seats are so hard I have to use a pillow to cushion my butt.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I purchase a 2014 Honda CRV. From day one every time I started the car the starter made a funny noise. With only 40,000 miles on it after 5 years I had to replace the starter. My mechanic told me it was an engineering issue as they placed the starter under or by the manifold which due to the heat of the manifold was burning the started out. Also due to the difficulty of putting the new starter in it cost me $695.00 (really for a starter but because the starter was placed by manifold that is what it cost me to replace.) One year later the starter is now making the same noise so I called Honda to see if they would cover the next starter. They told me no and the CRV only has 47,000 miles on it now. How dare Honda not cover this. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have leased two Honda CRVs (one 2016 and one 2018) over the last 3 years. During that time I have had lots of issues with both vehicles, resulting in me trading in the 2016 for the newer one, only to have the same or similar issues with the 2018. I have taken the 2018 to O’Brien Honda (formerly Brad Barker) of Bloomington, a Honda dealership in Peoria, a reputable shop in Decatur, IL and to a reputable shop in Bloomington, IL.

My primary issue with this car is its drivability. When I am driving the CRV, it is difficult to keep on the road because it darts to the left and to the right. It also pulls to the left and to the right making steering a challenge. I have taken my car to different places at my own cost to try and figure out the problem because when I drive on the interstate I have to go slow, around 60 mph, because otherwise it is difficult to drive it safely. I have two boys who are always with me and they notice it jumps around when they are in the back seat. I need to be able to drive and transport my children in a safe, reliable vehicle. The two CRVs I have owned are far from safe given these issues.

I have expressed my driving and safety concerns to all four of the service shops I have taken my car to. Inevitably, the shops tell me it requires an alignment. I am constantly aligning this car. When I took it to the Honda dealership in Peoria they aligned the car and within four days it was out of alignment again. I took the car to another shop and they told me it was out of alignment. How can that be after four days? I have also put tires on the CRV and nothing helps. I have spoken with District Managers about this. They give me the runaround also telling me nothing is wrong with the car. Even when I pushed back, the District Manager agreed to have the car aligned but within one day it was out again.

I am always taking my car to other shops for a 2nd opinion because the Honda dealerships do not resolve these issues after multiple visits and conversations with their service personnel. The shop I most recently took it to in Bloomington, IL told me they think there is a suspension problem or other issue causing the alignment not to last. I have made complaints to Honda and also made a complaint using the chat area of the website stating my unhappiness with the dealer’s service. At this point I have exhausted all options and am not in a financial position to trade this car in for something different. Honda is supposed to have reputation for being safe, reliable, long lasting vehicle. My experience has been anything but those things. I am very disappointed in the lack of concern and consideration at the Honda dealerships.

Given nobody can figure out what is going on with my car and nobody is willing to provide a different car for me to drive, I have consulted an attorney to determine my options. They recommend letting Honda know that I am reporting the company to Consumer Affairs for not properly fixing my car thereby rendering it unsafe to drive. I would like to work out these issues so I can keep this car but not when it is not driving safely. I have borrowed friend’s cars when driving outside city limits, or on the interstate, because of the way the CRV drives. That should not be necessary when this car is only a 2018.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The transient electrical problems with antilock brakes and display are very unnerving. I even took an 8 minute video to the dealer and they said try to bring it to them during the occurrence. Will not purchase another Honda.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I like the car but I am not a fan of the visibility. I have a hard time judging when another car is in the blindspot area. The back side windows are small. The engine has good kick when I need it, and my tall kids have more than enough legroom in the backseat.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I have a 2005 Honda CRV. It has been a great vehicle and I would definitely purchase another one. The only downside to the CRV is the newer models have a much smaller cargo area and I have two very large dogs that barely fit in the larger 2005 model. I may have to upgrade to a Pilot due to the smaller cargo size and the newer model.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Our CRV is amazing. It runs like a race car (turbo) and gets wonderful mileage. It has a sea of electronic goodies for your safety and comfort. I sometimes joke I need a college course to operate it lol. I see many Hondas running still with over 250,000 miles as daily drivers. Get ya one and see for yourself...

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

The car is fun to drive, does well in curves. It is above average on mpg. I think that Honda could include a better quality seat belt, one that does not wrinkle.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Top of the line 2017 Honda CR-V, cost less than fully loaded Subaru Outback. Extremely comfortable front seats, lots of room in backseat. Starting to have some trouble with right rear window, and GPS is finicky.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Exterior looks great. Interior very spacious for this class. A lot of safety features but a finicky touch screen. Sight lines aren't great but sound system and comfort are. Engine is noisy for a 1.5 liter turbo-charged one and not powerful when merging on to highway traffic. Keyless entry and door lock system can be unreliable as well as the the hands free trunk hatch opener. Overall I am happy with my purchase of 2019 Honda CRV.

Honda CRV Company Information