Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.61/5

Honda Pilot

The Honda Pilot is known for its functionality. New models all come with advanced safety features. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

104 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was going between Honda Pilot and a Dodge, but the Dodge dealer kept putting us off so I told them, "Nevermind" and went to the Honda dealer. I really enjoy my Pilot. I like the GPS and the way the dash is set up which is easy to navigate. But I wish there were an easier way to find your music. I would like to be able to speak what song or artist I want which I was able to do in my Chevy. I really liked that feature. Also, I do not like the fact that my Honda Pilot beeps all the time when it is locking itself. And if I have passengers in the car and I leave, it locks them in and if they try to get out, it sets off the alarm.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I love my Honda Pilot and that it is big enough for my large family. I love the amount of space with three rows of seats along with space to add groceries. You can also convert it from 3 rows to two rows. And I love the television. My kids enjoy it and the surround system. But I would like more up to date features and more room in the front seats and center console because if you drop something in between the seats you can't get it. Also, I wish the back window rolled down and that there was rear air conditioning and heat. But overall, it's a great travel vehicle. The car is highly affordable and has great gas mileage.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We love our Pilot! It has almost 200,000 miles and still runs amazing! We're a big family, we have 4 boys and they have friends that are always over, so having 8 seats is a necessity, and it's not cramped at all. The third row was a big seller for us. I also love that I can fold down some of the back seats if I need more room for the dog or groceries or whatever we're hauling. The only thing I don't like is that the second row seats can't be removed at all. I would like to be able to remove the single seat so the kids could get in and out easier and so I can clean more easily. Other than that, we are very happy with our Pilot.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We looked at several models and Honda Pilot was the best. I like the styling on this year but not on subsequent years. Also really like the size and comfort. Am short and with some models we looked at, I might as well drive a panel van. But with Honda Pilot, it was much easier to see out the windows. It's also big enough to carry banquet tables, without having to go to a much larger vehicle. It has decent gas mileage for its size. However, it does not seat seven adults comfortably? It seats seven if they are really small. Also towing package not included, but was on the next year's model. Nevertheless, it's reliable and really enjoy driving it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Love the Honda Pilot. It's easy and smooth to drive. I have an infant and I feel so safe driving her in this car. The back up camera makes me feel so safe too. It has plenty of room for my entire family. The seat are easy to put up and down and the set are easy to clean! And I love that there is Bluetooth. I can make calls and not use my hands and play music from my phone all wireless. I wish I had a different color though but otherwise there's nothing I don't like about the car. It has all the features I wanted plus some.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Pilot?

Original review: May 11, 2019

Safety concern: hood raises up and down in the wind. Dealer adjusted, changed latch. It still flexes in wind. It’s startling to see a hood move that way when driving on the highway. Is it the material it’s made of? Is it the latch? Trying to get a solution from Honda but no luck so far.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I saw a post I saw on this forum, below. I am reposting it because I had an almost identical experience (ongoing) with my 2019 Honda Pilot Touring purchased Sept 2018. Problems with Apple CarPlay started in Oct, and I have still not gotten resolution or much assistance from Honda (or Apple!) on this. I've seen multiple other postings like this elsewhere, including Apple Community pages. This requires Honda Corporate's immediate attention and necessitates a RECALL!!!

Melissa of Beverly Hills, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 2, 2019.

Purchased a new 2019 Honda Pilot Touring on December 8, 2018 for the EXPRESS purpose of having APPLE CARPLAY! After I had a 1 year old top of the line loaded Nissan Pathfinder that would not connect with my iPhone. I Lost MANY options from my previous vehicle and paid an additional $14,000 for the Pilot just to have hands free use of my phone. Approximately 300 miles and 1 week into owning the vehicle Apple CarPlay stopped working. Over the next two months the dealer had my car for 40% of my ownership of it. They replaced the radio two times and still not working. Now I am almost 3 months into owning this vehicle and no SOLUTION in sight. This is pathetic and disgusting. I will NEVER purchase a Honda again- Nor will any of my family members!

Original review: April 20, 2019

2011 Pilot VCM-2 misfire--$4000 fix..Pilot suspension rocker arm/bushing replacement--$1700 fix. 2001 Accord transmission fail--$2800 fix... all barely outside the extended warranty. Last Honda we'll own.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have a 2013 white Honda Pilot. The paint on the roof panel just started peeling off in a huge sheet. Like a 14 x8 inch chunk. I took to the dealer and they contacted Honda on my behalf. Honda has agreed to pay $500 of the $1068 estimate to repaint the roof. I met with the dealership today to see if their paint and body shop would cover the rest as I don't feel I should. This is a known problem and clearly a manufacturing issue with Honda. Additionally, we all know the body shop has a significant markup. I have done all of my service for the car at this dealership and I feel it's just good business.

Many dealerships across the country have covered what Honda has not on its defective paint, and they should. But I am sad to say, Music City Honda of Nashville said they will not. And they also told me the offer from Honda is only to use at the dealership. The $500 cannot be used at a different body shop AND it's only good for 45 days. I can promise I will not buy another car from them again. Funny how they change after you buy the car?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My Honda Pilot 2013 is only 5 years old and the roof is peeling - I've owned several Hondas in the past and never seen the paint peeling off. Honda should issue a recall at this moment. Too many complaints are out there recorded and my vehicle is 5 years old and well kept.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have a 2014 Honda Pilot and overall my experience has been good. The maintenance is super expensive though, for instance at 106,000 miles they recommend a timing belt change and that was VERY expensive (around $1000). You would think they would make an adjustment to the motor when they build it, like use a chain instead. My Toyota had a timing chain that never had to be replaced. My intention was to keep this car for as long as it ran. Now 110,000 and 4 years in, not even paid off yet, and the paint is peeling on the roof. I have done a lot of research and this is a common problem and I have also read a several reviews and talked to a few people and Honda doesn't generally pay the entire cost for the repair. One lady I spoke with said it cost $1800 to repair and Honda would only pay 1/2. I feel like that is unacceptable. Honda should stand behind their product. I hope they do the right thing and fix my car.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Have had a 2015 Pilot brand new as of August 2014. This is my first Honda and will more than likely be my last. We put a lot of miles on our vehicle (20K/year) so got screwed early and often on the mileage warranties. Have had two issues with the vehicle - 1) Roof paint peeling within the first 2 years. Had to had the windshield replaced due to crack. During the replacement, a company used masking tape to hold the window seal in place. When removing MASKING TAPE the paint on the roof peeled off in big chunks. Found out it had a paint warranty that expired at 30K miles. 2) Pilot now has 70K miles on it (at the four year mark) and was greeted with lovely shuddering when attempting to drive it. Come to find out the piston ring failed and the engine needed what essentially amounts to an overhaul to fix. The warranty? 5yr and 60K miles.

Both of these occurrences are, in my opinion, manufacturer defects. There is no reason a vehicle should experience these types of failures, especially when you follow manufacture guidance on service as we do, unless they are just of absolute crap quality. On top of the issues, come to find out the way they are manufactured is not very convenient for servicing issues - upping the labor cost to exorbitant amounts. Contacted Honda customer service. Got the politically correct version of "sorry, not our problem, it's yours". As I said, we will probably never purchase another Honda again. Have owned Fords, Chevys, Nissans, and Toyotas and never had this kind of issue or service bill.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my Honda Pilot. It's easy to handle and great for a family like mine. It's the best car that I've ever had and definitely worth the money. It's very reliable and hardly ever has an issue. Any issues that have occurred have been inexpensive and reasonably easy to fix. I like how much seating it has and how roomy it feels. It's nice to be able to have a lot of people in the car instead of having to drive separately. I like the third row of seats and how it can fold down for additional storage room. I really enjoy my Honda Pilot.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We purchased a used 2011 Honda Pilot a couple of years ago, it's been an overall good experience. We love the vehicle, though are a bit concerned about its transmission. SUVs in general seem to have issues that way. We like the look of it and do not prefer the current look of everything being a crossover and looking more like a car. We like our SUVs to look like an SUV. It's also pretty spacious and easy to navigate, both inside and driving. 3 rows are needed and they are all comfortable leather interior. It's white w/ taupe upholstery, and a sun roof, so it's nice and light.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Owner of Honda Pilot 2012. Performed all required service maintenance outside Honda service (used Valvoline). I have all the service records. At 99,000 miles service engine light came up. Looked at the code of multiple cylinder misfire and it matched Technical Bulletin Service A13-082. Called Honda customer service and they recommended to bring in the truck for service. I brought the truck to Honda of Hackettstown NJ and they were very helpful and suggested to perform a preventive timing belt replacement of which I agreed and paid $950.

After about four months my engine ceased. (A cylinder connecting rod went thru the block). Brought back the truck to Honda of Hackettstown, NJ and they have no explanation. They contacted Valvoline who performed the last oil change and Valvoline came on site to inspect with the Honda serviceman. Both groups agreed that the service was properly done. This bring me back to the technical bulletin service performed 4 month ago. The dealership and Honda customer service are saying that they cannot help me since the damage was not caused by the work done. I beg to disagree since connecting rods were listed as parts replaced on the invoice.

I asked Honda customer service to investigate further and I was denied. This is a vehicle that I leased and then financed because of its reliability. My confidence in Honda has been seriously shaken. I was considering purchasing two new Honda vehicles and trade my Pilot. Now Its looks like Honda does not care about its vehicle reliability issues. This is something I never expected from Honda.

Updated on 05/17/2018: Pilot 2012 engine dead after preventive maintenance - This is a follow up to the previous case listed on May 16 2018. Received a voicemail from American Honda Motors at 11:02AM May 16 from 888 234-2138. They said that my case was now assigned to a new case manager and that someone will be calling. No one called. It's now May 17th at 1:30pm. I called Honda customer service and they told me that my case was closed and that no one called me from their department. So I played back the voicemail message left on my cell. The customer service rep insisted it was not them and that my case was closed. However they documented what happened. Honda customer support! I'm very disappointed!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I love the performance of the Honda Pilot. But the paint rear bumper is wearing off after only 1.5 years. Also, there's some electronic problem as one of the rear windows does not lock correctly with the key.

Original review: May 2, 2018

For an SUV Honda Pilot is a decent vehicle. Handles nearly as well as the Accord my husband took over. I like the backup camera and the sound system is nice.

The GPS however seems like a scam considering the cost of an updated DVD and some controls are counterintuitive. Also, wish the driver's seat would adjust back further.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I service my Honda Pilot regularly, and it never fails. It is sturdy, does not show much age, and drives like a dream. When it gets older and is no longer feasible to repair, I will buy another Honda. But I do not like the design of the new Pilots. They look too much like a van so I probably will not buy another Pilot.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I love this Honda Pilot because it has plenty of space in the back for people and for things. I got a tow package on it. But the real drawback is the mileage. It is very low.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Overall I believe that Honda has some great cars. I own a Pilot and I enjoy driving it. However, it is somewhat noisy on the road, some rattles and gas mileage could be improved on this model. Other than that, it is comfortable on long trips.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We've had two other Hondas before we settled on the Pilot. We were looking for something roomy, comfortable and could accommodate a teenage boy with special needs. The Pilot fit the bill perfectly.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My husband has a Honda Pilot and a month ago we had a scary experience. My grandson (5) was sitting in the backseat behind driver seat and there is a seat belt which hangs from the ceiling for the middle seat. My grandson was playing with the seat belt as it is right above his head and he wrapped it around his neck & twisted it. I was in the passenger seat and looked back and saw and jumped into back seat. Because he was trying to get it off there was no slack in the belt and it was tight around his neck. I could not keep trying to undo it because it kept tightening. This seat belt does not unbuckle as it is a permanent belt therefore I could not hit the release button. Luckily we were 5 minutes from my house (as we just left) and I was holding the seat belt until we got home so it would not get tighter. I had to run in and get scissors which we then cut.

All I can think is what if I didn't turn around, he could have strangled himself. So I wanted everyone to be aware of this middle seat belt. I went to local Honda dealer and he said with a tool you can release this seat belt or use another seat belt clip. Who knew! I asked if he would fix it and he said it is not covered under warranty because I cut it. I told him if I didn't cut it my grandson would have choked to death. I called main office at Honda and they said okay I will put it in complaints. So needless to say no help from Honda nor did they seem concerned that someone may die due to this seat belt. Since then I have gotten a tool that cuts seat belts and breaks windows in a car.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Don't buy a Honda Pilot. I have a 2015 it was a certified vehicle that had 29k on it. I had a vibration and after several attempts to fix it. The dealer replaced the driveshaft. It did help but now when the temps are below 35 degrees it shakes and vibrates till it gets warm. I've had a lot of Hondas and this is the first one with problems. The dealer has been great and it's not their fault I have a lemon. Honda is aware of the problems with these vehicles and they need to step up and fix them. I'm going to fight this, but if they don't find a fix I'm done with Hondas and I will warn others about the problems with the Pilot.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Have owned several Pilots-love the veh but not interior! Med gray interior that once a stain of any kind appears, you cannot get stain out. If I had to guess, upholstery has never been treated [scotch guard]. Local detailing firm said if he detailed 10 Honda Pilots interior, he would have 10 complaints! Tried every kind of stain removal and stains only get worse-local dealership said 'never heard of the problem'!! Anyone else experienced this if so had any success in removing spots? Please email me at **.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I'm writing a bit out of frustration. My husband and I recently purchased a used 2015 Honda pilot from Infiniti of Columbus in Columbus Ohio. While we were highly satisfied with their customer service during the purchase we are a bit disappointed with a small issue we incurred after the purchase. During our test drive with the salesman we noticed a tire light was on. We were told the tire likely just needed air. After being at the facility 4+ hours for sales/negotiations etc. we left without addressing the tire light again.

Over the next three weeks we had to add air to the tire weekly. Finally realizing we needed to get the car in for an evaluation we were told there was a screw in the tire and the tire needed replace for approximately $200. Now we only had this car 3 to 4 weeks and when calling the dealer to get compensated for this faulty tire we were told "Sorry we cannot do anything about it." $30,000 for a new/used car purchase is a lot for our family and I truly feel for a company of this size they should have paid for the purchase of a new tire.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I have the touring model of the 2016 Honda Pilot. I have had multiple problems with the Bluetooth and Honda will do nothing to fix it. The Bluetooth only works about 50% of the time. Apparently it is an issue that Honda has with Apple iPhones that they can't keep up with the system updates. They will not publicly address this issue and the public has the right to know. It has taken countless hours at the service department and it's frustrating that they refuse to admit there is a problem nor willing to do anything about it. They have suggested that I try to use a different phone.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I have a 2005 Honda Pilot. It has had a few repairs and still runs like a dream. It can get through some of the worst weather conditions as well. The engine runs very quiet and I have over 105,000 miles on the car. I know I'll be driving this car for another 10 years. My family and I feel very safe in this vehicle. The Honda dealer where I maintain maintenance tells me my vehicle and year are still in demand if I want to trade it in. Needless to say, I do not intend to trade the Pilot in. The body and interior are in good shape. The engine purrs like a kitten. I love it! It was worth every penny paid!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I have always bought a Honda because of their resale value. This time I bought a used 2011 Honda Pilot - already had to replace the air condition, now the rotors had to be sanded down. Steering wheel begin to thump and had a lot of play took it in that said the steering column - Grease had dried up so they had to replace the grease $192.00. Now it needs shocks because they said they were leaking. I'm am driving a damn clunker. What's next? The Pilot is only 5 - years old. Honda want give you a discount. I wish I could get rid of it but still owe a lot of money on my clunker. That's what I call it when I go to the dealership. I don't think they like it but that's her name. CLUNKER.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I have a 2007 Honda Pilot. In March, 2011 I had to replace two window since the window regulator broke. 3 months later, one of them broke again. Luckily, it was still under warranty from the first fix. But then another one broke, and I had to replace it also. Now fast forward to 2016. I have been thinking about replacing my 9 year old car, and of course, another window regulator now breaks. Talked to Honda, and they said it is not a known issue. Well, from looking online, it definitely is. There was a class action suit in California about this issue. Anyway, no help from Honda, and not much from the dealership. After complaining enough, I got the repair bill down from $394 to $295. I just want it fixed so I can get rid of it, and never, ever buy a Honda again!

Honda Pilot Company Information