3.9/5 (353 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Honda Pilot

The Honda Pilot is known for its functionality. New models all come with advanced safety features. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Honda Pilot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Pilot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Pilot?

Original review: July 1, 2022

My 2014 Pilot began giving engine problems at 75k miles, despite my keeping the maintenance of the oil etc. After spending money on spark plugs, coils, oil valve, alternator and it continued to give trouble. I found out the 2013 had a recall and class action suit for the exact same issue. Honda isn’t responding to my certified letter and it has been very difficult to get any answer. They talk about warranty, I talk about integrity and reputation. This can cause an engine fire or car crash. Buyer beware.

Original review: June 25, 2022

We purchased our 2106 Honda Pilot Elite new in 2016 and the 100,000-mile warranty. My wife was in a car accident after three months (not her fault, and nobody was injured), and the car was totaled, so we had to purchase a new vehicle. The interest rate went up from 1.99 to 2.99. Fast forward to February 2022; after paying $800 per month for over five years, we paid it off and received the title! One month later, I was driving the car and heard a rattling noise after accelerating at a stop light. Speaking of stop lights, we had to turn off the auto-shutoff because the car stalled 50% of the time when we had it on.

Back to the rattling noise, I took it to Honda and they determined the engine failed and we need a new one. Our engine went out at only 80,000 miles a month after receiving the title for the car. 80,000 miles! It's ok; at least we have the 100k mile warranty :). Our service technician informed us we do NOT have the 100k warranty on the new car. I understand that after the vehicle is totaled, the new purchase is treated as a new car purchase, but we do not remember declining the warranty; pretty sure our sales rep dropped the ball on that one. To Honda's defense, I should have checked our records to ensure we had the warranty, but I didn't.

The next thing we did was file a claim with Honda Corporate; 80,000 miles seems very low for engine failure, so we were hoping Honda would stand behind their product and offer a goodwill credit towards the engine repair. Full credit would have been great, but we would have been happy with partial credit. My wife spent hours tracking down every receipt for services on the car. We provided every receipt requested and hand-delivered them to the service manager at Honda Schaumburg. After multiple unreturned phone calls and emails, we finally discovered our claim was denied.

I experienced other issues with the Pilot; getting stalled at stop lights due to the auto engine stop and the start was by far the worst. I took it to Honda, and they repaired the start button, but it did not fix the issue. The next time they said my battery was bad, they were wrong because I purchased a new battery a few months prior. The auto tailgate open and close worked about 60% of the time, and we did not open the sunroof by the driver and passenger seats because it did not always close. When we filed our claim, we informed Honda about all of the issues above. The Pilot was the 3rd and last Honda I will ever purchase. I aim to share this story with as many people as possible, hoping they will think twice before buying a Honda.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I have a 2015 Honda Pilot with less than 100K miles and the piston rings just went, $3,000+ dollars down the drain. I have had a number of other issues, I will never buy a Honda again. I'm not sure why Honda is rated so well, it is a terrible SUV.

Original review: April 14, 2021

We bought a 2014 Honda Pilot with 90,000 miles on it in November of 2020 after researching many reviews. In March of 2021 the part of paint on the front roof of the vehicle was off. We were baffled. We researched this issue and found out that Honda used faulty paint on their white 2014 models and it’s been coming off in droves. They recalled but decided that only for 7 years after the car is released. So that means by January 2021 the 2014 I just paid 20k for because they are such “great” cars needs a new 2,500 paint job-that’s literally what Honda quoted us....because Honda used cheap crappy paint.... and knew it. Then refused to fix it because apparently they believe car paint under 100k miles should only last 7 years. Good to know that’s what they believe.

Also the mechanical issues this thing has are pathetic. The trunk doesn’t pop open or shut a third of the time so I have to do it manually, the lights inside don’t work right and the car alarm randomly goes off. I’m so thankful this happened because we were talking in January about selling this one at the end of the year and just buying a new one next year if we liked it! Now we know we will never buy a Honda of any kind again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

Happy taking my 2019 Honda Pilot for a recall on the stereo radio for over 6 times and they refused to replace it. They always tell me that they know what the problem is and they take the car to be fixed and then following day same thing they refuse to replace the stereo.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I bought Honda Pilot 2019.. The car has been causing me the issue since the day I bought it. I have been into dealership 5 times already.. First summer Air conditioner not working. First winter there is some engine light on. Dealership is not able to figure out what it going on. I have dropped the vehicle and keeps on coming again... Honda Canada is not taking responsibility for that... They are just saying it's under warranty. They will look after it but it so much frustrating.. Every other day there is new problem. All system are failing... Never buy Honda .. They have worst customer service... They don't care once you buy car from them.. They are giving lemon car to everyone. My friend is also going through this same issue and they are just ignoring it...

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

On December 2019 I trade in my 2018 Toyota Camry XSE for the 2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition for more space for my kids and is the worst. The electrical part of it have a lot of issues and distract and scared the driver as well as my kids with popping noises coming out of the speakers, dashboard shooting off, infotainment saying network connection lost and shooting off, plus the brake sensor alert coming on all of sudden and without anyone or anything around. This SUV IS NOT SAFE AT ALL.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Just bought my 3rd Pilot with this one being the 2020 Elite Black Edition...likely my last. 1500 kms on it and the entertainment system keeps crashing. The speakers have a loud crackling noise. Tailgate isn't working nor is the remote start. Warning light is now on that the collision avoidance system is down as well. I trusted Honda because of quality. Now learning this is a nagging common electrical issue. Trust is gone. Very disappointed. Hoping they can fix it. Should have kept my 2014 Pilot.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Purchased my 4th Honda Pilot 3 weeks ago, 2019 Touring. Previously owned a 2011 EXL 2013 Touring, and 2017 Touring. The auto idle stop feature has never worked. After 75⁰ miles, took to dealership and was told Honda is aware, there currently is no fix, and they don't know when one will be available. They will call me. Don't think there will be a 5th Honda Pilot if this is not resolved quickly.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Purchased this 2004 Honda Pilot new in 2004. Driven it across country several times, lived in the Southwest desert and drove it for years. Lived in Chicago and enjoyed the 4 wheel drive in the show. Other than showing signs of aging in the paint job after 16 years, this car is as good as ever. We have never had a serious mechanical issue, ever. The cloth interior has no rips, no worn spots, the headliner is perfect. It runs quiet and has tons of power. Absolutely the best value ever due to its perfect size, flexibility, hauling capacity, visibility over other cars. We will buy another one someday!

Honda Pilot Company Information