3.76/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Honda Pilot

The Honda Pilot is known for its functionality. New models all come with advanced safety features. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

108 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

2019 Honda Pilot Elite - first Honda I've ever owned. In six months the computer/electrical system has gone out three times. Similar stories all over the internet. Basically at any given moment while driving there will be a glitchy feedback sound that comes through the speakers in the car. At that point, the audio system shuts off. No music (Satellite, FM/AM, Bluetooth, iPod, etc.), no voice controls, no phone (calls in or out). No backup camera - surround sensors still work for no visual cues or lines display for distance visualization. Many features within the computer display selection not available while vehicle is in motion even if the vehicle is parked. When the car is parked and turned off and locked, the computer display does not turn off. It will stay off overnight and the computer will still be on in the morning. The freeze/short will last usually 36 to 48 hours then randomly reset itself. Like nothing happened.

When I call the dealer where I bought the car and try to speak to service department, I'm told all I can do is schedule an appoint (for like 5 days out) and they've never heard of what I'm describing. It was suggested that I disconnect the battery, wrap the connection cables in electrical tape, clip them together for 30 to 45 minutes then remove the electrical tape and connect the red connection to blah blah blah blah... Seriously it a new car. Not even Walmart would give you this runaround over a toaster. Today, I'm currently waiting 2 more days for my service appointment where I will sit in their lobby for hours (no loaner and shuttle service in 5 mile radius) while they try to diagnose what has been detailed all over the internet. First Honda ever... Last Honda ever. Beyond disappointed in product support of a new product with problems.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

The ACC/LKAS/Cruise CONTROL is scary, it will interpret a vehicle coming toward you in the opposite lane as a threat and swerve out of the way by taking control of the vehicle and snatching the steering wheel out of your hands. If it doesn’t do that it’ll apply the breaks and then snatch the steering wheel out of your hands to swerve away. My advice disengage that system on any and every 2 Lane Rd. The interior is cheap. It feels cheap. The vent on my AC will not close so I get to breathe all the outside air all the time. It idles like a Sherman tank when you first crank it up. It rides rough. It is not comfortable. Ergonomically it is not comfortable. If I drive a long distance my back hurts because the armrests are not even.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I bought this 2010 Pilot new and it seemed to be the best car I have ever owned. It runs very well and I love the size and features it came with. A few years of owning it I received a letter from Honda that stated its supplier used dissimilar metals in the rivets. This will cause the tailgate to rust prematurely so they added a 7 year warranty. Sure enough my tailgate had rust coming through just after reading the TSB. I had it repaired and it looked great. Just after the warranty expired the rust came back FAST. I called Honda and they will do nothing about it now. They "fixed" it to last just past the warranty and now I am stuck with a rusty tailgate due to Honda's cheap discount .01 rivets. I thought they had a lifelong customer but their customer service changed my mind.

Original review: June 20, 2019

+This is the fourth Honda we have owned and I don't think there will be a fifth purchase based on what I have experienced in one week's time with the new vehicle. On Day 3 with just 300 miles on the car, the radio stopped working. It had power to it but we couldn't use it for Apple Play or Sirius or even local channels. When we shut off the vehicle, the radio stayed on. I noticed this after about two hours and was lucky I caught it, because I did not want to drain the battery. I wound up pulling the fuse to the radio (#29, if anyone needs to know) to cut the power. I've had to do this three times so far.

Now, when I start my car, I get a low battery warning. None of the interior lights were left on, no doors were open, etc. The car is off and dark. There are no key fobs in or near the car. I can't imagine that the one hour that the radio was stuck on could have drained the battery to this extent. The kicklift feature on my trunk hatch has stopped working. I don't know if this is related to having to pull the fuse or not. Pressing the button works, and the hatch lifts - but the kicklift is defective now. I contacted Honda about this and they said there are "no known issues" with the radio and trunk. I find this hard to believe. We purchased this vehicle for the purpose of allowing a safer car ride. My radio shut down in the night. Can you imagine if I was depending on this feature to function if I was lost or stranded or in a dangerous situation? Shame on you Honda!

Original review: May 11, 2019

Safety concern: hood raises up and down in the wind. Dealer adjusted, changed latch. It still flexes in wind. It’s startling to see a hood move that way when driving on the highway. Is it the material it’s made of? Is it the latch? Trying to get a solution from Honda but no luck so far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Pilot?

Original review: April 27, 2019

I saw a post I saw on this forum, below. I am reposting it because I had an almost identical experience (ongoing) with my 2019 Honda Pilot Touring purchased Sept 2018. Problems with Apple CarPlay started in Oct, and I have still not gotten resolution or much assistance from Honda (or Apple!) on this. I've seen multiple other postings like this elsewhere, including Apple Community pages. This requires Honda Corporate's immediate attention and necessitates a RECALL!!!

Melissa of Beverly Hills, CA Verified Reviewer
      Original review: March 2, 2019.

Purchased a new 2019 Honda Pilot Touring on December 8, 2018 for the EXPRESS purpose of having APPLE CARPLAY! After I had a 1 year old top of the line loaded Nissan Pathfinder that would not connect with my iPhone. I Lost MANY options from my previous vehicle and paid an additional $14,000 for the Pilot just to have hands free use of my phone. Approximately 300 miles and 1 week into owning the vehicle Apple CarPlay stopped working. Over the next two months the dealer had my car for 40% of my ownership of it. They replaced the radio two times and still not working. Now I am almost 3 months into owning this vehicle and no SOLUTION in sight. This is pathetic and disgusting. I will NEVER purchase a Honda again- Nor will any of my family members!

Original review: April 20, 2019

2011 Pilot VCM-2 misfire--$4000 fix..Pilot suspension rocker arm/bushing replacement--$1700 fix. 2001 Accord transmission fail--$2800 fix... all barely outside the extended warranty. Last Honda we'll own.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have a 2013 white Honda Pilot. The paint on the roof panel just started peeling off in a huge sheet. Like a 14 x8 inch chunk. I took to the dealer and they contacted Honda on my behalf. Honda has agreed to pay $500 of the $1068 estimate to repaint the roof. I met with the dealership today to see if their paint and body shop would cover the rest as I don't feel I should. This is a known problem and clearly a manufacturing issue with Honda. Additionally, we all know the body shop has a significant markup. I have done all of my service for the car at this dealership and I feel it's just good business.

Many dealerships across the country have covered what Honda has not on its defective paint, and they should. But I am sad to say, Music City Honda of Nashville said they will not. And they also told me the offer from Honda is only to use at the dealership. The $500 cannot be used at a different body shop AND it's only good for 45 days. I can promise I will not buy another car from them again. Funny how they change after you buy the car?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My Honda Pilot 2013 is only 5 years old and the roof is peeling - I've owned several Hondas in the past and never seen the paint peeling off. Honda should issue a recall at this moment. Too many complaints are out there recorded and my vehicle is 5 years old and well kept.

Honda Pilot Company Information