2.14/5
Based on 70 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Honda Pilot

The Honda Pilot is known for its functionality. New models all come with advanced safety features. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

96 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my Honda Pilot. It's easy to handle and great for a family like mine. It's the best car that I've ever had and definitely worth the money. It's very reliable and hardly ever has an issue. Any issues that have occurred have been inexpensive and reasonably easy to fix. I like how much seating it has and how roomy it feels. It's nice to be able to have a lot of people in the car instead of having to drive separately. I like the third row of seats and how it can fold down for additional storage room. I really enjoy my Honda Pilot.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was going between Honda Pilot and a Dodge, but the Dodge dealer kept putting us off so I told them, "Nevermind" and went to the Honda dealer. I really enjoy my Pilot. I like the GPS and the way the dash is set up which is easy to navigate. But I wish there were an easier way to find your music. I would like to be able to speak what song or artist I want which I was able to do in my Chevy. I really liked that feature. Also, I do not like the fact that my Honda Pilot beeps all the time when it is locking itself. And if I have passengers in the car and I leave, it locks them in and if they try to get out, it sets off the alarm.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I love my Honda Pilot and that it is big enough for my large family. I love the amount of space with three rows of seats along with space to add groceries. You can also convert it from 3 rows to two rows. And I love the television. My kids enjoy it and the surround system. But I would like more up to date features and more room in the front seats and center console because if you drop something in between the seats you can't get it. Also, I wish the back window rolled down and that there was rear air conditioning and heat. But overall, it's a great travel vehicle. The car is highly affordable and has great gas mileage.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We love our Pilot! It has almost 200,000 miles and still runs amazing! We're a big family, we have 4 boys and they have friends that are always over, so having 8 seats is a necessity, and it's not cramped at all. The third row was a big seller for us. I also love that I can fold down some of the back seats if I need more room for the dog or groceries or whatever we're hauling. The only thing I don't like is that the second row seats can't be removed at all. I would like to be able to remove the single seat so the kids could get in and out easier and so I can clean more easily. Other than that, we are very happy with our Pilot.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We purchased a used 2011 Honda Pilot a couple of years ago, it's been an overall good experience. We love the vehicle, though are a bit concerned about its transmission. SUVs in general seem to have issues that way. We like the look of it and do not prefer the current look of everything being a crossover and looking more like a car. We like our SUVs to look like an SUV. It's also pretty spacious and easy to navigate, both inside and driving. 3 rows are needed and they are all comfortable leather interior. It's white w/ taupe upholstery, and a sun roof, so it's nice and light.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Pilot?

Original review: July 25, 2018

We looked at several models and Honda Pilot was the best. I like the styling on this year but not on subsequent years. Also really like the size and comfort. Am short and with some models we looked at, I might as well drive a panel van. But with Honda Pilot, it was much easier to see out the windows. It's also big enough to carry banquet tables, without having to go to a much larger vehicle. It has decent gas mileage for its size. However, it does not seat seven adults comfortably? It seats seven if they are really small. Also towing package not included, but was on the next year's model. Nevertheless, it's reliable and really enjoy driving it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Love the Honda Pilot. It's easy and smooth to drive. I have an infant and I feel so safe driving her in this car. The back up camera makes me feel so safe too. It has plenty of room for my entire family. The seat are easy to put up and down and the set are easy to clean! And I love that there is Bluetooth. I can make calls and not use my hands and play music from my phone all wireless. I wish I had a different color though but otherwise there's nothing I don't like about the car. It has all the features I wanted plus some.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Owner of Honda Pilot 2012. Performed all required service maintenance outside Honda service (used Valvoline). I have all the service records. At 99,000 miles service engine light came up. Looked at the code of multiple cylinder misfire and it matched Technical Bulletin Service A13-082. Called Honda customer service and they recommended to bring in the truck for service. I brought the truck to Honda of Hackettstown NJ and they were very helpful and suggested to perform a preventive timing belt replacement of which I agreed and paid $950.

After about four months my engine ceased. (A cylinder connecting rod went thru the block). Brought back the truck to Honda of Hackettstown, NJ and they have no explanation. They contacted Valvoline who performed the last oil change and Valvoline came on site to inspect with the Honda serviceman. Both groups agreed that the service was properly done. This bring me back to the technical bulletin service performed 4 month ago. The dealership and Honda customer service are saying that they cannot help me since the damage was not caused by the work done. I beg to disagree since connecting rods were listed as parts replaced on the invoice.

I asked Honda customer service to investigate further and I was denied. This is a vehicle that I leased and then financed because of its reliability. My confidence in Honda has been seriously shaken. I was considering purchasing two new Honda vehicles and trade my Pilot. Now Its looks like Honda does not care about its vehicle reliability issues. This is something I never expected from Honda.

Updated on 05/17/2018: Pilot 2012 engine dead after preventive maintenance - This is a follow up to the previous case listed on May 16 2018. Received a voicemail from American Honda Motors at 11:02AM May 16 from 888 234-2138. They said that my case was now assigned to a new case manager and that someone will be calling. No one called. It's now May 17th at 1:30pm. I called Honda customer service and they told me that my case was closed and that no one called me from their department. So I played back the voicemail message left on my cell. The customer service rep insisted it was not them and that my case was closed. However they documented what happened. Honda customer support! I'm very disappointed!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I love the performance of the Honda Pilot. But the paint rear bumper is wearing off after only 1.5 years. Also, there's some electronic problem as one of the rear windows does not lock correctly with the key.

Original review: May 2, 2018

For an SUV Honda Pilot is a decent vehicle. Handles nearly as well as the Accord my husband took over. I like the backup camera and the sound system is nice.

The GPS however seems like a scam considering the cost of an updated DVD and some controls are counterintuitive. Also, wish the driver's seat would adjust back further.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I service my Honda Pilot regularly, and it never fails. It is sturdy, does not show much age, and drives like a dream. When it gets older and is no longer feasible to repair, I will buy another Honda. But I do not like the design of the new Pilots. They look too much like a van so I probably will not buy another Pilot.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I love this Honda Pilot because it has plenty of space in the back for people and for things. I got a tow package on it. But the real drawback is the mileage. It is very low.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Overall I believe that Honda has some great cars. I own a Pilot and I enjoy driving it. However, it is somewhat noisy on the road, some rattles and gas mileage could be improved on this model. Other than that, it is comfortable on long trips.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We've had two other Hondas before we settled on the Pilot. We were looking for something roomy, comfortable and could accommodate a teenage boy with special needs. The Pilot fit the bill perfectly.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My husband has a Honda Pilot and a month ago we had a scary experience. My grandson (5) was sitting in the backseat behind driver seat and there is a seat belt which hangs from the ceiling for the middle seat. My grandson was playing with the seat belt as it is right above his head and he wrapped it around his neck & twisted it. I was in the passenger seat and looked back and saw and jumped into back seat. Because he was trying to get it off there was no slack in the belt and it was tight around his neck. I could not keep trying to undo it because it kept tightening. This seat belt does not unbuckle as it is a permanent belt therefore I could not hit the release button. Luckily we were 5 minutes from my house (as we just left) and I was holding the seat belt until we got home so it would not get tighter. I had to run in and get scissors which we then cut.

All I can think is what if I didn't turn around, he could have strangled himself. So I wanted everyone to be aware of this middle seat belt. I went to local Honda dealer and he said with a tool you can release this seat belt or use another seat belt clip. Who knew! I asked if he would fix it and he said it is not covered under warranty because I cut it. I told him if I didn't cut it my grandson would have choked to death. I called main office at Honda and they said okay I will put it in complaints. So needless to say no help from Honda nor did they seem concerned that someone may die due to this seat belt. Since then I have gotten a tool that cuts seat belts and breaks windows in a car.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Don't buy a Honda Pilot. I have a 2015 it was a certified vehicle that had 29k on it. I had a vibration and after several attempts to fix it. The dealer replaced the driveshaft. It did help but now when the temps are below 35 degrees it shakes and vibrates till it gets warm. I've had a lot of Hondas and this is the first one with problems. The dealer has been great and it's not their fault I have a lemon. Honda is aware of the problems with these vehicles and they need to step up and fix them. I'm going to fight this, but if they don't find a fix I'm done with Hondas and I will warn others about the problems with the Pilot.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Have owned several Pilots-love the veh but not interior! Med gray interior that once a stain of any kind appears, you cannot get stain out. If I had to guess, upholstery has never been treated [scotch guard]. Local detailing firm said if he detailed 10 Honda Pilots interior, he would have 10 complaints! Tried every kind of stain removal and stains only get worse-local dealership said 'never heard of the problem'!! Anyone else experienced this if so had any success in removing spots? Please email me at **.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I'm writing a bit out of frustration. My husband and I recently purchased a used 2015 Honda pilot from Infiniti of Columbus in Columbus Ohio. While we were highly satisfied with their customer service during the purchase we are a bit disappointed with a small issue we incurred after the purchase. During our test drive with the salesman we noticed a tire light was on. We were told the tire likely just needed air. After being at the facility 4+ hours for sales/negotiations etc. we left without addressing the tire light again.

Over the next three weeks we had to add air to the tire weekly. Finally realizing we needed to get the car in for an evaluation we were told there was a screw in the tire and the tire needed replace for approximately $200. Now we only had this car 3 to 4 weeks and when calling the dealer to get compensated for this faulty tire we were told "Sorry we cannot do anything about it." $30,000 for a new/used car purchase is a lot for our family and I truly feel for a company of this size they should have paid for the purchase of a new tire.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I have the touring model of the 2016 Honda Pilot. I have had multiple problems with the Bluetooth and Honda will do nothing to fix it. The Bluetooth only works about 50% of the time. Apparently it is an issue that Honda has with Apple iPhones that they can't keep up with the system updates. They will not publicly address this issue and the public has the right to know. It has taken countless hours at the service department and it's frustrating that they refuse to admit there is a problem nor willing to do anything about it. They have suggested that I try to use a different phone.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I have a 2005 Honda Pilot. It has had a few repairs and still runs like a dream. It can get through some of the worst weather conditions as well. The engine runs very quiet and I have over 105,000 miles on the car. I know I'll be driving this car for another 10 years. My family and I feel very safe in this vehicle. The Honda dealer where I maintain maintenance tells me my vehicle and year are still in demand if I want to trade it in. Needless to say, I do not intend to trade the Pilot in. The body and interior are in good shape. The engine purrs like a kitten. I love it! It was worth every penny paid!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I have always bought a Honda because of their resale value. This time I bought a used 2011 Honda Pilot - already had to replace the air condition, now the rotors had to be sanded down. Steering wheel begin to thump and had a lot of play took it in that said the steering column - Grease had dried up so they had to replace the grease $192.00. Now it needs shocks because they said they were leaking. I'm am driving a damn clunker. What's next? The Pilot is only 5 - years old. Honda want give you a discount. I wish I could get rid of it but still owe a lot of money on my clunker. That's what I call it when I go to the dealership. I don't think they like it but that's her name. CLUNKER.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I have a 2007 Honda Pilot. In March, 2011 I had to replace two window since the window regulator broke. 3 months later, one of them broke again. Luckily, it was still under warranty from the first fix. But then another one broke, and I had to replace it also. Now fast forward to 2016. I have been thinking about replacing my 9 year old car, and of course, another window regulator now breaks. Talked to Honda, and they said it is not a known issue. Well, from looking online, it definitely is. There was a class action suit in California about this issue. Anyway, no help from Honda, and not much from the dealership. After complaining enough, I got the repair bill down from $394 to $295. I just want it fixed so I can get rid of it, and never, ever buy a Honda again!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

We have a 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L that leaks water inside the passenger compartment every time it rains. It leaks to the point where there has been standing water on the floor in the car. Spoke to American Honda and they basically told me "too bad so sad" that they had no responsibility to the problem. This is after the rep admitted that it is a design flaw with the car. How can it be our problem if they admit it is a design flaw in the car? They also told me the solution was we could not park it outside ever and that would solve the problem. Guess that means that we can't go anywhere ever again since most places have covered parking. He also said that if the paint goes bad it was our problem too for parking it outside.

Original review: July 23, 2016

After reading an article about airbag recalls I decided to check online on July 5, 2016 to see if there were any recalls on my 2011 Honda pilot and there were none. Imagine my surprise when I received a passenger side airbag recall on July 19, 2016 telling me not to let anyone ride in the front passenger seat due to faulty airbag. This was a form letter that was dated July 2016. (They didn't know about this on July 5th??) I immediately called customer service to question this and also how long it may take to fix it. I spoke to 5 different people including 2 supervisors and was given a case number while they reviewed the problem. Two days later I was told by a case worker that my request for alternate transportation was denied because I had a three seat vehicle and my passengers could ride in the rear seats.

I explained that I often carry large items (which is why I bought the vehicle) and that most of the time the rear seats are not available for passengers. I also stated that after paying $40,000 for the vehicle I was now being told that I could not use 20% of it. I was also told that she would mark my case as urgent but that was all she could do. Now I have limited use of my vehicle for the next 2 + months. I had recently been talking to the local dealer about buying another new Honda but will have to rethink it. I find this totally unacceptable and will be talking to NHTSA.

Original review: July 15, 2016

Received a recall for the passenger side airbag of our 2006 Honda Pilot. We called right away only to be told that it would be another two months to have the problem repaired. We were also told not to allow anybody to ride in the front passenger seat until the problem is resolved. We bought our Pilot because of the seating. Now we can't use it in the manner we desire? For two months? Why? We were also told it could explode without any impact. So, I'm not supposed to allow a passenger in the front seat and that the airbag could go off without any warning. How safe do we feel... not very.

Even barring the fact that there should be no passenger in the front, what good would that do if we're driving along and the thing blows up on its own, on the freeway perhaps. So they do not think what a fright that would cause and the ensuing crash from being scared out of our wits. What kind of world do we live in that we don't at least get a loaner car to save our lives, and those around us from a dangerous situation and is the government aware that by allowing car companies such a long time to fix the car what a dangerous situation for those around us?

Original review: May 29, 2016

I own 2 Honda Pilots. A 2005 and a 2011. I've had the oil dipsticks get stuck on both vehicles. I faithfully change the oil every 3000 miles and always check the dipstick in between changes. I have put oil on the rubber O rings at the top of the dipstick and it still gets stuck. On my 2011 Honda Pilot, the dipstick broke off and some of it is still stuck down in the filler tube. Honda knows they have a problem with these dipsticks getting stuck and offers no solution or a replacement dipstick that won't get stuck. Now Honda's poorly designed dipstick is going to cost me money to drop the oil pan to remove the dipstick. Find a solution Honda!!

Original review: April 21, 2016

I have owned 10 Honda vehicles over the last 28 years and have been very pleased with each one. In 2007 bought a CRV and in 2010 bought another one but when the window design was changed on the 3rd side window I opted to go to a Pilot. Bought one in 2012 and another new one in 2014 and now the 3rd side window design has been changed to look like all the other SUV's on the market but the bigger problem is the impaired view with the window design. I will leave the Honda market and look for a vehicle that has a safer window design. Perhaps the design engineers should do customer surveys before changing certain designs. Thanks Honda.

Original review: March 25, 2016

I purchased a 2015 Pilot brand new and have had for 1 yr and they tell me I need new rotors and they are not covered. So basically every year they are telling me I need to replace my rotors. Really this is totally unacceptable for a reputable company as Honda is suppose to be. I should have NEVER!!! purchased this vehicle. This is absurd. They will not replace these under the warranty of 3 years 30.000 miles. Really this is a very bad situation that they have put me in. At this time I may just have my attorney get involved and then after I will make certain everyone knows not to purchase a honda because they lie about their warranties. Now I cannot drive my car due to the fact I do not have an extra 1000 dollars to fix the problem. I could go on to tell you what the guy in service told me but only have 200 words... Very Disgusted with Honda!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

I purchased a 2012 Honda on October 17, 2015 which was delivered to me on 10/20/2015 with a brand new battery (from a non-Honda dealer). On November 23, 2015 the vehicle would not start. I had AAA jump it. Again on November 28, 2015 it failed to start. On November 29th had have it jumped again, drove about an hour and then it would not start again. Once again I jumped it to make it home. On November 30, I had the Pilot towed to the local dealer when it still was not able to start. They then worked on it for 22 days, put in another battery and ECM and main relay and drove it 500 miles. This was the suggestion from Honda Tech. They stated it was fixed. On January 5th and January 8, 2016 the Pilot would not turn over the first try. It would take 2-3 times before starting.

On January 9th I took the Pilot to the local Honda dealer service center, where at first they could not duplicate the issue and almost sent it home until I asked them to check to see if a the software on a starting had been updated and there was not enough power to even scan my Pilot. They then did the right thing and kept my car. This time they had it another 22 days and 200 miles. Honda Engineering supposedly flew someone out and then sent the dealer a modified ECM. Another battery was installed. I picked up the vehicle on January 30th, 2016. Some background on the vehicle: The previous owner had it at the same dealer 3 times for the same issue prior to my purchase. This is the 5th time that this Pilot has been in the shop for this same issue since May 2015. Per the service records before it has had 3 new batteries along with 2 alternators before I even owned it. The issue started under its manufacturer warranty.

On January 12, 2016 I made a claim with Honda USA regarding this vehicle. My case manager closed the case 7 days before the vehicle repairs were completed or delivered to me and stated the vehicle was fixed. I have asked him specifically 3 times to speak to supervisor. The conversation I had with him today stated that a supervisor could not help me. I have yet to speak to one and today is 2/5/2016. I have asked questions from both Honda and the local dealer what exactly was modified and why on the ECM and the dealer states they have not been told and the Honda keeps saying "Engineering" did it. They keep telling me that the local Honda Dealer Service center should be able to tell me.

All that I have been told by the local dealer Service Manager is that the parts are modified and he does not know what they (Honda Engineering) did and why. I was also told that my vehicle has a problem and that Honda does not want it public. Per my records and the previous owner's record this issue is intermittent. It has taken anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months to reoccur. I understand that sometimes there are "bad cars". I would expect a company to rectify it, instead of using my car as a test to see if it works now. I called again today to request a supervisor to call me and was told I would most likely need to revoke my customer rights and hire legal help to not expect any answers. I asked if I could talk to someone in Engineering so I could get an answer on how and why they modified the ECM.

The local dealer has provided me a loaner car both times and done all work under warranty at no cost to me. Which I am grateful for. It is sad that Honda will not call me to discuss the cause of the issue and take responsibility for the problem. This car is unreliable and I should not be a test for Honda to avoid a potential recall. I drive with a jump box in the back of car just so I won't be stranded again. Not only did I have issues with the car, the first time it was at a dealer an item was stolen from vehicle and a camera was left in it.

Honda has provided no answers and the case manager they have assigned me refuses to let me speak to a supervisor, I have asked on 5 different occasions. I have been told by the local dealer's service manager there is a "problem with your car". I am very disappointed in the Honda name right now. I bought this car thinking that Honda was a good company with good cars. I am now considering going back to Nissan.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2016

I can't turn the key in my 2003 Honda Pilot. Honda knows this is a huge problem and won't contribute a cent because the car is older & I don't have it serviced at a Honda dealership. My brother also owns a newer Pilot and the same thing happened to him. I will NEVER, EVER buy another Honda & will make sure I let as many people as possible know about it.

Honda Pilot Company Information