4.0/5 (340 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Honda Pilot

The Honda Pilot is known for its functionality. New models all come with advanced safety features. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Honda Pilot Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Pilot?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Pilot?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I purchased this 2019 Honda Pilot EX new from a dealer in The Milwaukee area. Almost immediately, the 6 speed transmission would cause the vehicle to shake, vibrate, hesitate and growl as it seems to up-shift prematurely and it can't counter shift to a lower gear. Over 5k on the vehicle to date and it does this every day at speeds of 24, 33 and 43 mph. Repeated trips to the dealer with no resolve. I hate it and won't keep it much longer.

This is my last Honda purchase after we have had 3 Accords, and 2 Odysseys. We gave a thumbs down to our 2015 Accord with a CVT transmission. Quality isn't there anymore. The Pilot rides rough in the rear with lots of slap over small road cracks. Radio/Info display freezes at startup. I tried towing my 2000lb alum boat and the rear end sag tightens the suspension so much you couldn't stand the rough ride. (200 lb tongue wt) It's rated for 5000 lb with the tow package which I have, come on. Max speed I felt safe at was 68 mph. Vehicle feels unstable beyond that. I'm going back to a pickup truck soon.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I would highly recommend the Honda Pilot. It's a great "large" SUV without being too big. The thing I like most is the rear windows. Most new SUVs have those tiny triangular side windows and a scrunched rear window. The Pilot has has excellent sight lines out the rear!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The vehicle makes noises that at this price point it should not make. Mainly in relation to the drivetrain and the transmission has been very unreliable. We have put a lot of long distance miles on our pilot and when we take it in to service it seems that they always say, “Wow this is a first on this year for us to see with this (fill in the blank) problem,” feels very unreliable with high mileage currently 106,000. Year 2016.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I bought in March this year a 2014 Honda Pilot with 120k on it, formerly a rental according to the Navigation system as to where it has been. It is now in my hands for 8 mos with 30k more miles. I have driven long distances with 3400 lbs trailer attached. 4x4 driven in snow and and dirt. Regular maintenance performed. No problems at all. This is the first Honda that I have owned and won't be the last! A retired master mechanic, electrician, electronics tech.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Car has worked great, the software can be a little quirky at times but has been very reliable and comfortable riding car. A lot of the safety features I don't feel are necessary for me, but wife loves them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I love my Honda Pilot. It is big enough to carry multiple people and/or items, and very comfortable. It drives very well and is very stable on the road. It looks amazing, too! I especially like the camera that comes on when I turn on the right blinker. I didn't realize how much I'd come to depend on it until I was in a different vehicle last week that didn't have it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

2016 Honda Pilot Touring was advanced than their luxury model 2016 Acura MDX as this model have 9 gear transmission and 3.5 Acura engine with all those safety gadgets make this SUV delightful! I wished hand shift was also smooth as rest of the vehicle and front engine bonnet little too puffy on high speed (120 KMPH).

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

The Honda Pilot is a very sturdy vehicle. It's great for families, I have 122,377 miles on it and it still runs really smoothly, I never had any mechanical problems other than wear and tear which is normal. It's very roomy and also does well in the snow. The Honda Pilot is highly recommended.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

We’ve owned 3 Pilots now and have loved everyone. It’s spacious and comfortable for the whole family and even the grandparents! We comfortably fit our family of four (2 being kids and one is still in a very bulky car seat) and my 2 parents with room to spare. The technology is also amazing which makes for a fun and much safer ride! We will definitely be Honda owners for a long time!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Driving this Honda Pilot is miserable and we regret the purchase every time we get into the car. The car is sluggish when accelerating, it jerks when shifting gears and makes awful knocking noises. We live in a large master planned community where the speed limit is 25 mph and driving this vehicle at any speed below 40 mph is absolutely awful. We have taken the car into Brandon Honda more than once and the service technicians have driven with us so that they can verify that what we are experiencing is valid and they have validated the issues.

The problem is they claim that these issues are “Characteristic for the type of transmission in the vehicle”. What we experience on a daily basis driving this Honda Pilot is NOT characteristic of ANY fully automatic vehicle. This vehicle drives as though it is a 5 speed being driven by someone that doesn’t know how to drive a 5 speed. If in fact these abnormal, unpleasant “characteristics” are just how this vehicle was built to operate, then we should have been made aware of these flaws before we purchased the vehicle since they are not what we expected when purchasing this vehicle. We are very unhappy with this vehicle and do not want to keep this vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I've purchased a 2014 Honda Pilot from a certified Honda Dealer - Fischer Honda. I've noticed that car paint started peeling off from the roof and the clear paint cover was fading away in the whole/entire car. This issue causing the car to lose its protective base leading now to get rust spots (along with the roof peeling). I have purchased the car a year after its manufacture with minimum miles on it, drove it to work and maintained inside the garage while at home. FISCHER Honda Rep acknowledges the issue and sent me to get an estimate to have the car re-painted. I took the car to the various shop and they all agreed that the entire car lost its cover and there is a definitely paint issue from the manufacturer.

But when America Honda received the estimate from Fisher Honda, they declined the claim stating that paint is not part of the extended warranty for the reported issues (the whole car) as the collision shop and anyone who sees my car can tell. After a couple of dealer visits, finally, a collision shop in Brighton Honda, MICHIGAN was able to contact someone at America Honda, but the representative only approved the roof to be painted. The Honda Manager, collision shop and I agreed that even if the roof is repainted, my car will start rusting in a few years, therefore they strongly suggested me to paint the rest of the car myself as I will not have a nice looking car and this ALSO could affect my trade-in value. I purchased the car for 32k plus in 2015, under the impression that the car will last me at least 10 years, now, I'm Stuck with a car that is starting to rust in the whole car, but they only want to cover the roof.

How does it make sense for America Honda to Acknowledge that they have paint issue but only agreed to paint one part of the car which is less visible? was the roof painted with a different type of paint than the rest of the car? Even if I paint only the roof, the car will look with different color as the rest of the paint is faded and it already started to rust. I'm frustrated at this point and felt I lost tremendously for wanted to buy a white Honda Pilot.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Infotainment system is completely unreliable. Doesn't matter if my phone is connected by Bluetooth or USB. First you will hear skips in the audio you are listening to then the audio will cut off completely. The screen will say that it is playing but no sound is heard. When this defect happens, you can't hear anything - even if you switch to the radio or other source. When you turn the car off, it resets but will do it again the next time you drive it. This is ridiculous for a new car - especially a Honda. This has been happening off and on for several months. Now it is just over the 36,000 mile warranty. This needs to be a class-action suit and a recall is needed to repair or replace the infotainment system.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

We purchased a 2020 Honda Pilot AWD Touring and experienced the same infotainment issue that others have described. Ten days off the lot, we heard crackling and popping across the dash and both the center dash screen and the screen behind the wheel went black with no access to nav, radio, bluetooth, backup camera, speedometer, etc. The system continually tried to reboot but would continue crashing. Took it in and they replaced audio tuner and gauge control module and then said it was working perfectly. Two hours after I picked it up, the same problem occurred. They kept it for 2 more weeks, saying they were in touch with Honda's engineers. They wound up replacing both the floor harness and dash harness. Time will tell whether it is actually fixed. Have had it back for a week with no issues.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Honda Pilot Touring from Honda Valley Stream in Aug, 2019. Within two weeks, the computer/electrical system went out. I took it to the service Department where I was informed that a hard reset was done. On my journey from NY, two weeks later, the entire System went out again. The kids were watching a video and that shut down, along with phone, radio and the back up camera. The entire system went down again within the space of a month. The display section at the front of the car Stays on while the vehicle is parked and locked. I have to Take time off from work twice within a month to have my brand new 2019 Pilot serviced. This is terribly frustrating and Honda has to rectify this issue immediately.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Radio crackling, shutting off, not shutting off when the car is off. Completely unpredictable for the entire infotainment system. Honda has no clue how to fix it. I've owned 3 Odyssey prior to this and will never buy another Honda.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

2019 Honda Pilot Elite - first Honda I've ever owned. In six months the computer/electrical system has gone out three times. Similar stories all over the internet. Basically at any given moment while driving there will be a glitchy feedback sound that comes through the speakers in the car. At that point, the audio system shuts off. No music (Satellite, FM/AM, Bluetooth, iPod, etc.), no voice controls, no phone (calls in or out). No backup camera - surround sensors still work for no visual cues or lines display for distance visualization. Many features within the computer display selection not available while vehicle is in motion even if the vehicle is parked. When the car is parked and turned off and locked, the computer display does not turn off. It will stay off overnight and the computer will still be on in the morning. The freeze/short will last usually 36 to 48 hours then randomly reset itself. Like nothing happened.

When I call the dealer where I bought the car and try to speak to service department, I'm told all I can do is schedule an appoint (for like 5 days out) and they've never heard of what I'm describing. It was suggested that I disconnect the battery, wrap the connection cables in electrical tape, clip them together for 30 to 45 minutes then remove the electrical tape and connect the red connection to blah blah blah blah... Seriously it a new car. Not even Walmart would give you this runaround over a toaster. Today, I'm currently waiting 2 more days for my service appointment where I will sit in their lobby for hours (no loaner and shuttle service in 5 mile radius) while they try to diagnose what has been detailed all over the internet. First Honda ever... Last Honda ever. Beyond disappointed in product support of a new product with problems.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

The ACC/LKAS/Cruise CONTROL is scary, it will interpret a vehicle coming toward you in the opposite lane as a threat and swerve out of the way by taking control of the vehicle and snatching the steering wheel out of your hands. If it doesn’t do that it’ll apply the breaks and then snatch the steering wheel out of your hands to swerve away. My advice disengage that system on any and every 2 Lane Rd. The interior is cheap. It feels cheap. The vent on my AC will not close so I get to breathe all the outside air all the time. It idles like a Sherman tank when you first crank it up. It rides rough. It is not comfortable. Ergonomically it is not comfortable. If I drive a long distance my back hurts because the armrests are not even.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I bought this 2010 Pilot new and it seemed to be the best car I have ever owned. It runs very well and I love the size and features it came with. A few years of owning it I received a letter from Honda that stated its supplier used dissimilar metals in the rivets. This will cause the tailgate to rust prematurely so they added a 7 year warranty. Sure enough my tailgate had rust coming through just after reading the TSB. I had it repaired and it looked great. Just after the warranty expired the rust came back FAST. I called Honda and they will do nothing about it now. They "fixed" it to last just past the warranty and now I am stuck with a rusty tailgate due to Honda's cheap discount .01 rivets. I thought they had a lifelong customer but their customer service changed my mind.

Original review: June 20, 2019

+This is the fourth Honda we have owned and I don't think there will be a fifth purchase based on what I have experienced in one week's time with the new vehicle. On Day 3 with just 300 miles on the car, the radio stopped working. It had power to it but we couldn't use it for Apple Play or Sirius or even local channels. When we shut off the vehicle, the radio stayed on. I noticed this after about two hours and was lucky I caught it, because I did not want to drain the battery. I wound up pulling the fuse to the radio (#29, if anyone needs to know) to cut the power. I've had to do this three times so far.

Now, when I start my car, I get a low battery warning. None of the interior lights were left on, no doors were open, etc. The car is off and dark. There are no key fobs in or near the car. I can't imagine that the one hour that the radio was stuck on could have drained the battery to this extent. The kicklift feature on my trunk hatch has stopped working. I don't know if this is related to having to pull the fuse or not. Pressing the button works, and the hatch lifts - but the kicklift is defective now. I contacted Honda about this and they said there are "no known issues" with the radio and trunk. I find this hard to believe. We purchased this vehicle for the purpose of allowing a safer car ride. My radio shut down in the night. Can you imagine if I was depending on this feature to function if I was lost or stranded or in a dangerous situation? Shame on you Honda!

Original review: May 11, 2019

Safety concern: hood raises up and down in the wind. Dealer adjusted, changed latch. It still flexes in wind. It’s startling to see a hood move that way when driving on the highway. Is it the material it’s made of? Is it the latch? Trying to get a solution from Honda but no luck so far.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I saw a post I saw on this forum, below. I am reposting it because I had an almost identical experience (ongoing) with my 2019 Honda Pilot Touring purchased Sept 2018. Problems with Apple CarPlay started in Oct, and I have still not gotten resolution or much assistance from Honda (or Apple!) on this. I've seen multiple other postings like this elsewhere, including Apple Community pages. This requires Honda Corporate's immediate attention and necessitates a RECALL!!!

Melissa of Beverly Hills, CA Verified Reviewer
Original review: March 2, 2019.

Purchased a new 2019 Honda Pilot Touring on December 8, 2018 for the EXPRESS purpose of having APPLE CARPLAY! After I had a 1 year old top of the line loaded Nissan Pathfinder that would not connect with my iPhone. I Lost MANY options from my previous vehicle and paid an additional $14,000 for the Pilot just to have hands free use of my phone. Approximately 300 miles and 1 week into owning the vehicle Apple CarPlay stopped working. Over the next two months the dealer had my car for 40% of my ownership of it. They replaced the radio two times and still not working. Now I am almost 3 months into owning this vehicle and no SOLUTION in sight. This is pathetic and disgusting. I will NEVER purchase a Honda again- Nor will any of my family members!

Original review: April 20, 2019

2011 Pilot VCM-2 misfire--$4000 fix..Pilot suspension rocker arm/bushing replacement--$1700 fix. 2001 Accord transmission fail--$2800 fix... all barely outside the extended warranty. Last Honda we'll own.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have a 2013 white Honda Pilot. The paint on the roof panel just started peeling off in a huge sheet. Like a 14 x8 inch chunk. I took to the dealer and they contacted Honda on my behalf. Honda has agreed to pay $500 of the $1068 estimate to repaint the roof. I met with the dealership today to see if their paint and body shop would cover the rest as I don't feel I should. This is a known problem and clearly a manufacturing issue with Honda. Additionally, we all know the body shop has a significant markup. I have done all of my service for the car at this dealership and I feel it's just good business.

Many dealerships across the country have covered what Honda has not on its defective paint, and they should. But I am sad to say, Music City Honda of Nashville said they will not. And they also told me the offer from Honda is only to use at the dealership. The $500 cannot be used at a different body shop AND it's only good for 45 days. I can promise I will not buy another car from them again. Funny how they change after you buy the car?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My Honda Pilot 2013 is only 5 years old and the roof is peeling - I've owned several Hondas in the past and never seen the paint peeling off. Honda should issue a recall at this moment. Too many complaints are out there recorded and my vehicle is 5 years old and well kept.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have a 2014 Honda Pilot and overall my experience has been good. The maintenance is super expensive though, for instance at 106,000 miles they recommend a timing belt change and that was VERY expensive (around $1000). You would think they would make an adjustment to the motor when they build it, like use a chain instead. My Toyota had a timing chain that never had to be replaced. My intention was to keep this car for as long as it ran. Now 110,000 and 4 years in, not even paid off yet, and the paint is peeling on the roof. I have done a lot of research and this is a common problem and I have also read a several reviews and talked to a few people and Honda doesn't generally pay the entire cost for the repair. One lady I spoke with said it cost $1800 to repair and Honda would only pay 1/2. I feel like that is unacceptable. Honda should stand behind their product. I hope they do the right thing and fix my car.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Have had a 2015 Pilot brand new as of August 2014. This is my first Honda and will more than likely be my last. We put a lot of miles on our vehicle (20K/year) so got screwed early and often on the mileage warranties. Have had two issues with the vehicle - 1) Roof paint peeling within the first 2 years. Had to had the windshield replaced due to crack. During the replacement, a company used masking tape to hold the window seal in place. When removing MASKING TAPE the paint on the roof peeled off in big chunks. Found out it had a paint warranty that expired at 30K miles. 2) Pilot now has 70K miles on it (at the four year mark) and was greeted with lovely shuddering when attempting to drive it. Come to find out the piston ring failed and the engine needed what essentially amounts to an overhaul to fix. The warranty? 5yr and 60K miles.

Both of these occurrences are, in my opinion, manufacturer defects. There is no reason a vehicle should experience these types of failures, especially when you follow manufacture guidance on service as we do, unless they are just of absolute crap quality. On top of the issues, come to find out the way they are manufactured is not very convenient for servicing issues - upping the labor cost to exorbitant amounts. Contacted Honda customer service. Got the politically correct version of "sorry, not our problem, it's yours". As I said, we will probably never purchase another Honda again. Have owned Fords, Chevys, Nissans, and Toyotas and never had this kind of issue or service bill.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my Honda Pilot. It's easy to handle and great for a family like mine. It's the best car that I've ever had and definitely worth the money. It's very reliable and hardly ever has an issue. Any issues that have occurred have been inexpensive and reasonably easy to fix. I like how much seating it has and how roomy it feels. It's nice to be able to have a lot of people in the car instead of having to drive separately. I like the third row of seats and how it can fold down for additional storage room. I really enjoy my Honda Pilot.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was going between Honda Pilot and a Dodge, but the Dodge dealer kept putting us off so I told them, "Nevermind" and went to the Honda dealer. I really enjoy my Pilot. I like the GPS and the way the dash is set up which is easy to navigate. But I wish there were an easier way to find your music. I would like to be able to speak what song or artist I want which I was able to do in my Chevy. I really liked that feature. Also, I do not like the fact that my Honda Pilot beeps all the time when it is locking itself. And if I have passengers in the car and I leave, it locks them in and if they try to get out, it sets off the alarm.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I love my Honda Pilot and that it is big enough for my large family. I love the amount of space with three rows of seats along with space to add groceries. You can also convert it from 3 rows to two rows. And I love the television. My kids enjoy it and the surround system. But I would like more up to date features and more room in the front seats and center console because if you drop something in between the seats you can't get it. Also, I wish the back window rolled down and that there was rear air conditioning and heat. But overall, it's a great travel vehicle. The car is highly affordable and has great gas mileage.

Honda Pilot Company Information