3.89/5
Based on 69 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Honda Civic

The Honda Civic is available as a coupe or a hatchback. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

282 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 21, 2018

After 7 months of leasing, the radio dropped my XM satellite information and won't receive XM any longer. Also my FM presets well vanish days after inputting them. If my phone is connected via Bluetooth the car will ring when I get a phone call but I can't answer it with my car, I have to use the speaker phone on my cell. Also if I get a text, my cat will disengage my cell phone and I have to re-engage it while driving. Very unsafe!! Extremely disappointed with this vehicle and completely let down but Honda who say that there's nothing that can be done until more people have this problem. What a P.O.S.!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I am a loyal Honda brand member having purchased 4 cars from them in the last 7 years. I purchased my 2018 Honda Civic Type R on February 12, 2018 at a dealer markup ($3000 over MSRP) after going back and forth with dealers for months. After only driving the car for 4700 miles, the car has a major transmission leak and the navigation screen has micro scratches all over it. Nothing has ever touched my screen besides my fingers (no towels, no microfiber towels). I took the car into the dealer I purchased it at (Norm Reeves Honda Irvine) on July 5th 2018 and spoke to a manager by the name of Quincy. I explained my situation to him and he agreed that he would take care of the screen and make sure the transmission gets taken care of promptly.

I came down to the service lot and communicated what Quincy and I had just spoke about to my service manager Brett **. Quincy actually came down and gave Brett his extension in case he needed any help. Brett contacted me on Friday to explain that my car was not looked at yet and he would get the ball rolling asap. He advised he would give me an update of Saturday with a video of the issue. Fast forward to Saturday July 7th and I still have not received any word from the dealer or service department about my car. I tried calling for 30 min and nobody could connect me with any of the managers, Brett, Quincy, or even the general sales manager Garrett ** whom I had purchased the car from originally.

I attempted to reach out to Garrett and he kept screening my phone calls. Then when I frustratingly called back he text me from his cell phone that I was blowing up his phone and he can't talk because he was in front of a customer. I advised that I was going to contact American Honda and file a complaint if someone could not communicate to me what was happening to my car. He told me to do what I thought I needed and to not take a frustrated tone with him. This is after paying a $3000 markup on a new car. After filing the complaint with Honda, they contacted me on Tuesday to discuss the issue. I spoke to an agent by the name of Dempsy. After hearing my story, he agreed that they would be willing to cover the screen under good faith and he would contact the dealership to communicate that with them and take care of the transmission issue as soon as possible.

I contacted the dealership on Thursday July 12th to communicate what Honda had told me and he advised that was good news because the dealer had denied my warranty claim on a $700 screen because the damage was caused by outside influences like a microfiber towel. Even if I had cleaned it with a microfiber towel, which I never have, a microfiber towel shouldn't cause damage to a navigation screen.

I now sit here without my car for the last 7 days, and the dealer has just sent me the video today explaining that I have a transmission leak. Well, no kidding I told them that 7 days ago. They still haven't given me a reason for the leak and I suspect they are taking this long so they can find a reason to deny the claim on the transmission also. American Honda also called me today letting me know that they spoke to the dealer and have also decided to deny my claim on the micro scratched screen. This has by far been the worst new car purchasing experience.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have had very good experience with Honda Civic. Hondas are very reliable and I have had zero problems with it and have had it for 13 years now. I wouldn't trade it in or sell it for anything, unless maybe it's a newer version of what I have already! I love the look of it, compact and quick yet simple and reliable. My car has made me love Hondas even more than I already did. I chose my Honda because it was a trade in at a dealership and it had very low miles and it was just sitting there calling to me! But I would like to have had more options than it has. It is a 2003 though. I would want a newer version so that I could have more cool standard options.

Original review: June 21, 2018

It's great on gas, it doesn't take a lot to fill it up and when it is full it last for a while. It's a very good and dependable car. When we got the car it had a lot of new parts that the previous owner fixed. It broke down on us once but other than that all we've ever had to do on it is regular maintenance. We needed a car before we had our baby and this car was the first one that we seen that was affordable and also had four doors. It was important to me that the car we got had four doors for easier access getting the baby in and out of the car. But I wish it had automatic windows. We have to crank the windows to go down so it is a very big inconvenience on us. Also it doesn't have air conditioning so we have no choice but to roll down the windows.

Original review: June 20, 2018

My Honda Civic is the best car I've ever driven. I would buy it every time if I could. The transmission is smooth and the handling is a dream. I like that it is a standard transmission, durable, efficient, needs minimal maintenance, and has an amazing sound system. I got the car used, but it didn't have a lot of miles. I only have to fill up about once a month. The seats got worn out pretty quickly and I wasn't living hard in them. Also it's a two door which is just inconvenient even if it looks cool. Still, it hasn't needed any major maintenance in the six years I've had it. This car is my love.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Civic?

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have driven several Honda Civics and have found them to be highly reliable. They rarely have problems so I feel secure owning them. However, I'm not very happy with the mileage and my next car must have better gas mileage. I would prefer better visibility in the back and sides. There is a backup camera but I'm not really satisfied that I see everything well. There are too many blind spots. I would like more safety features, especially variable windshield wipers. But it's a comfortable car. The size is good and easy to park and turn. The air conditioning and heat work well as does the entertainment system. I particularly like being able to change from CD to radio to Bluetooth using a switch on the steering wheel. I also like the Bluetooth capability so I can listen to materials downloaded on to my phone.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I just recently bought my 07 Civic. And so far the only thing I dislike about it is it's an automatic and the transmission seems to be missing. I'm already sound like I'm going to have issues. But as long as the transmission holds up it's an amazing little car. It looks amazing and has a good sound system. It was cheap and affordable, in my area, has great gas mileage, has low miles, sunroof, built in aux. However, it is only 2 door. I would of rather had 4 doors. I wish Honda made AWD. Seems to handle really well besides in slippery road conditions. I've loved the car.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I LOVE this car! My one demand for purchasing a new car with my husband was it absolutely had to be a Honda. The Civic Si was available with a standard transmission which he prefers. The control panel is tilted towards the driver for easier access and some controls are accessed from the steering wheel. I like the gripped pedals and the two-toned interior. It makes me feel as though I'm in a sports car. The car handles very well and it's fun to drive. It's designed with the driver in mind.

I learned how to drive a standard transmission in order to own this vehicle. It's a Honda so it's got great safety features. The trunk liner add-on is worth it. But I would like for the radio display screen to show the details of the radio station and the particular song currently playing. This is an annoyance for my husband. It would be nice if the computer codes we're available so the owner can make additional modifications to personal their driving experience. But overall, this is a car I would consider purchasing again in the future.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was able to buy a certified 14 Honda Civic for my daughter who's going off to college. I went with a car that's a little older and a little bit more mileage only because the other one seem better but he was very plain. The one that I got also has back up camera. The car itself is pretty good. I like the fact that it has alloy wheels, Bluetooth, and heated leather seats. Love all these things together. However when I drive it it seems a little flimsy. Very light and feels like I'm driving a toy car. Also, I think nowadays it's about time that the car manufacturer would have some sort of built-in phone stand. But, so far so good.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love this car. I looked at many different cars before I made my choice to get my 2014 Honda Civic. I bought it less than a year ago. I haven't had any problems whatsoever, yet. The gas mileage on the car is awesome, plus the safety reviews are too. And everything is holding up well and driving as smoothly and quietly as ever! However, I would add a side blinker camera on the left side as well. This would make the safety ratings go up even further. The blind side seems to be on either side so I don't understand why only the right side has this camera feature. I do love it, however. It makes it so much easier to change lanes. Especially on the interstate.

It also has lines to show you how far you are from the car in the lane next to you. And right now it is only on the right side. I love many different things about this car compared to other 2014 cars on the market. It's very high tech and has many cool computer features and functions that I can edit and change. I loved how it looked and all of the different features it has. I liked that it is small and compact, but it also is a 4 door vehicle. It's a great first car for someone and I'm so glad I chose it over the others I looked at.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The Honda Civic as a whole worked fine. I enjoyed it. I did not have any major issues with it. I got it in 2008 and it has just been great all this time. I loved the way the car sat. I could see over the hood and everything well. I am 4 foot 11 inches so it can be difficult for me to see in a lot of the cars. Also the seats and everything were nice as well. However, I didn't like the way the back bumper look. Also the radio that came with the car wasn't that great and I just hated it. Other than that, the car in general was nice all around.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My overall experience with this Honda Civic is good. It is affordable, reliable, comfortable and stylish. It has automatic windows and a Bluetooth to connect to my phone which I enjoy for hands free communication. I like the automatic locks, the interior design, and the dashboard display. Does have 4 wheel drive or automatic lights. However, it has small cup holders in the center and the new civic model is more appealing than this one which is a 2016.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I really like the 2012 Honda Civic. It is not too big and perfect for me. I feel like it is an easy car to maneuver. It is also a nice color that is just eye catching. It is a really beautiful car. But it doesn't have many updates technological features such as a GPS. This requires me to purchase a separate GPS for my car which is such a big hassle and expensive on my side. But I like the seats and the side cameras. The seats are a nice leather material which make cleaning the car much easier.

Original review: June 13, 2018

A small marvel, the Honda Civic Del Sol, was bliss to drive and own. And I chose this car for the hardtop convertible feature. The 5 speed tiny car with big get up and go perfectly suited my personality and needs for a car. The gas mileage was dreamy. I often made a 5 hour road trip on one tank of gas. The Del Sol came in Red, Black, White, Green, and Royal Blue. And I chose the blue and never regretted my decision. I love the electric roll down rear window both with the top on and with the hardtop off. Because it is a hardtop convertible with a locking mechanism to store the hardtop in the trunk, the insurance does not reflect a normal/high insurance premium for a convertible. It is a style icon. A classic Honda retired by Honda, too early in my opinion, is a joy to drive. This car was luxury on a strict budget.

I would improve the blind spot on both rear window views, the location on the center console cup holders, center glove box, etc due to a tad too far back for comfortable use without taking my eyes from the road. Also, I would make the hardtop latch and release levers more durable as mine needed replacement two times in ten years.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I love my Honda Civic, 12 years and no major repairs. Really worth the investment. I was impressed that it looks so cute and sporty. It had a lot of airbags and safety issues stressed for a smaller car. The price was pretty affordable and easy to drive too. Tried a Toyota and it didn't run as well and wasn't as sporty. However, the air conditioner is not always working and not too cool. Frustrating but the only big drawback. I hope Honda fixed this big fault. We have 2 cars same issue. Other than that, I now want to buy a Honda van next.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The Honda Civic hybrid is my husband and my first hybrid purchase. My husband was looking for a compact car. He was going to be working out of town 6 days out of the week and there was the perfect car online at a great dealer's website. It has saved us so much gas! It's so amazing how the car doesn't use gas when it comes to a stop. The battery is quite expensive to replace though. And also, I would have the front window smaller. When the car sits in the sun, it heats up fast. Also when I lay the seat all the way down, it is very uncomfortable.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The vehicle itself was a very cheap option and supposedly reliable too as well. It had great safety features which is important to me. The seats were comfortable and the tires were good. The car didn't last a full 24 hours. I got it on Sunday and drove it to work on that Monday (30 miles). During that trip the car broke down three times and I didn't even make it home or to work that day and it has to be towed home and the mechanic said it couldn't be fixed. It wouldn't go over 30 mph and it was ugly as hell. I would not recommend the Honda Civic even to my worst enemy.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The car is really comfortable and is the perfect size. It's super basic and easy to start off with for beginners. Specifically for me since I barely started driving. I love how everything is so simple to use and self explanatory. The steering wheel is so easy to turn and it really helps me with the driving. It makes driving really fun. I'm so grateful that I was able to get my hands on the Honda Civic. It's perfect and beautiful.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I am happy with my purchase. It handles well in the snow and had ample power. It is very easy to drive and I love the backup camera which makes parking a breeze. I like the brake hold for when I'm in traffic. I also like that it has a large trunk and that it tells me when maintenance is needed. But I do not like the fabric on the console or indoor handles. I wish it had a cup holder for the back passengers. I also wish it had more leg room and the chargers were easier to get to.

Original review: June 8, 2018

My overall experience with the Honda Civic has been good. For me the car is efficient and high tech, but not too crazy or out of my comfort zone. I like the digital panel with Bluetooth, Android driving compatible features, and charging ports. The sunroof is also a great addition. However, the keyless ignition is a bit troublesome at times and make the experience less fun.

Original review: June 6, 2018

It's a very popular model. And the car feels very safe and reliable. I like the compact size of the car and it's comfortable. But I would like for the design of the car to be more modern and sleek, since it currently looks more traditional and bland. I would also like better gas mileage for the model. But overall the car is convenient and the driving experience is smooth.

Original review: May 31, 2018

When I first bought the car I brought it home and parked it in the driveway. I got up the next day and the battery was dead. So the following month my car was sitting out front and the windshield have cracked. Not only that but the phone connection in the car do not work. Actually I thought by nowadays every car would come with CD player but not Honda. Also on the side of the doors the vinyl was discoloring from the Sun. Not real happy about that. Tried Armor All it didn't make one bit of difference. But on the bright side after fixing everything that was wrong with a brand new car. It actually had a lot of pep. I've always had Hondas because of the durability until this one.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My Honda Civic was a great car but it was not what I wanted so I sold it and purchase an Accord by Honda. This is the size of car that fits me. Not too little not too big.

Original review: May 30, 2018

This my third Honda so I obviously love them. Had the 84 Accord, 88 Prelude and now the 2015 Civic. This last dealer, however, Colonial Honda in Dartmouth, MA really stank. Later a garage mechanic said they are the worst Honda dealer in New England!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Any Hondas are well built. We have owned Civics and CRVs. Honda just like any manufacturer will not be dependable if not well maintained or driven into the ground.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I love the car and I highly recommend it. I just don't like the dealership I purchased it from. It's sporty and economic, and I have only had 1 problem with it.

Original review: May 28, 2018

One of the top two cars I’ve ever owned. Reliable, durable, great fuel economy, low cost of ownership. Our dealer Rusty Wallace in Knoxville is by far the best dealership I’ve ever done business with as well.

Original review: May 27, 2018

2008 model Civic LX had a terrible paint job. Supposedly a recall was ordered, but we were never informed. When I finally contacted Honda about it, they stone-walled me on any remediation for the failed factory paint job. The air-conditioning system has had issues too, but overall, the vehicle has been reliable.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I actually have a 1996 Civic and it is still running beautifully with only minor repairs in the 10 years I have owned it. I get people asking if I want to sell it all the time. It is unusual because it has a manual transmission and a sunroof. It has 175,000 miles on it. It’s a great car.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My Honda is over 10 years old and has less than 60,000 miles on it. I have a great mechanic that I take it to and it runs like a new car. I love it When someone is driving behind me so close that if I have to put on brakes quickly they'll go right into the back of me, I wait until we are at a stop light and when it turns green I leave their new car in the dust!

Not sure about Honda Civic?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Honda Civic Company Information

automobiles.honda.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business