2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

4.0/5 (696 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Honda Civic

The Honda Civic is available as a coupe or a hatchback. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Honda Civic Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Civic?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Civic?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

The A/C system both the condenser and compressor failed in my 2018 Honda Civic with 13,000 miles. Honda acknowledges faulty part with their A/C condenser that could cause refrigerant to leak but failed to take responsibility of the compressor. The leak could cause other A/C components to fail such as the compressor, clutch and coil. These failures could further damage the car and cause the car to be unsafe to drive. Honda should take full responsibility of all the parts in their A/C system instead of charging owners $2300+ to fix the compressor.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I went to Honda on Friday to see if I can have my AC fix because it is not working (not blowing cold air). I spoke to this James (in the service department) and I told him specifically what was wrong with my car. I said, my car is blowing hot air... sometimes it blows cold air and then it will stop and continue to blow hot air. I said I wanted to get it fix since it is so hot right now I need it working. He said, the shop can’t get it done today and I have to leave my car overnight which I agreed.

He called me later that afternoon telling me that they found a leak on my CONDENSER and I needed to get it fix and I said “okay” (thinking that this was only the issue). The following morning he called me again and said that they found more problem with the AC system and it needed a COMPRESSOR replacement too. He asked me if I wanted to go ahead and get the CONDENSER FIX and I asked him which is more important to get fix at this time to have my AC running and he told me the leak which is the CONDENSER needed to be fix for now. I asked him how much does it cost to have the CONDENSER AND THE COMPRESSOR fix all at once. He gave me a price of 2000 plus. But he said they don't have the parts to fix the compressor because they need to order the parts first and it will take two days to get the parts.

I asked him in the morning prior to agreeing to pay 1100 dollars to fix the CONDENSER… I said if I fix the condenser would my AC be working at least cause this has been my main issue and he said it's working so I agreed and he told me my car would be done around 2 pm of Saturday. I even said, I can just fix the other parts later since they don’t have the COMPRESSOR. I have don’t know anything about cars and I only go to Honda for my car services ever since I bought my car.

When I went to Honda, James told me that my AC will intermittently come on and off. I paid 1100 dollars thinking it will at least work somehow, but nothing…. The issue I presented to them when I took the car in was the same thing. I paid 1100 just for them to put a part that did not fix the issue. If I would have known that my whole AC system will not be functioning after paying 1100, I would not have left it there overnight and replaced it. They could have told me, "If we fix the condenser, your AC won't be working still... you still have to fix the COMpressor and everything else." I would not have agreed to the service of 1100 and have my car returned to me with the same issue I brought it in.

It was so stressful paying this much amount of money and James was just giving me false information. I would not have agreed to do the service if I would have known that I will be getting my car back with the same exact issue. If replacing the condenser won't fix anything, I would not have done it and would have waited until they have the parts or go somewhere else where I can make an appointment and have my whole AC fix and functioning.

I have never had this issue with Honda for the whole time I have my car service there. When I asked them if I need to wait for some service to be done later they usually are upfront to me about it and would say, "Yeah you can wait and it would still be running." Unlike this person, who told me that my AC is running…but when I picked it up told me it is intermittently running???? Are you kidding me???? Didn’t I just told him that when I initially dropped the car off???? He then offered 20 percent off my next service… are you kidding me??? You think I would try to fix my car there again after he lied to me and made me agree about paying hella money and my AC is not working hahaha… He can’t even do anything… I can’t believe I pay this much money for nothing…

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I have a Honda Civic 2018 and my A/C failed completely after 49k miles. I took it to Honda for the Condenser Recall and apparently it’s not my condenser it’s my compressor that has a leakage. I had to pay $200 for the diagnostic test and if I want the compressor replaced it’s an additional $1,700 to fix. Even the service rep said that this is known problems for Hondas. How is this not a recall if so many people are experiencing the same issue? This will be the last Honda I ever purchase.

Original review: April 1, 2021

If you look at the other reviews you will notice a very common trend. AC compressor and condenser failures. Well, I am the most recent to experience this displeasure. I am at 34,000 miles and now have a non-functional AC. I paid $300 for a diagnostics and the Honda service center confirmed it was a leaky compressor. There are thousands of others with this same issue and at the same mileage. The issue seems to be a defective part in 2017 Civics and causes corrosion. Honda quoted me $3,000 to fix the issue. My warranty just expired and the issue is very well known.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I buy a Civic Ex on 2016 because the looks and gas efficiency but after 40k miles a/c start fail and blow hot air only....Try to fix myself because warranty expires. Went to a/c shop but they told me a/c condenser maybe or compressor about $2500 out of my pocket!! After I research for same problem found a thousands of civics with same issue, call American Honda company and they do not have any recall for the issue and I went crazy in summer. Is too hot in California....Seriously think not buy any more hondas....

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

My 2017 Honda civic had an ongoing beeping when turning on/off the car. Took it to the service department and they fixed it but did not documented. I was unaware they did not document issues if it does not make it to the back of the service department. Right when the warranty expired it started making the beeping noise and the air conditioning/heater was making a loud noise after the filters were changed.

I called to report the noise and again calls were not recorded. I contacted Honda of America to get the car diagnosed and the "regional representative EDWIN" was rude, and biased. I felt harassed. From the beginning, he told me that it was my responsibility to take the car in even if we were in a pandemic. After several call, I asked to speak to his supervisor. Supervisor Kanisha called me back after 1 week. She read the notes and they were completely false documentation with statements I did not say. I told Kanisha since the calls were recorded, to review them.

I decided to pay the fee and to my surprise, it is a factory defect of the "condenser" and is under warranty. For the beeping, they showed me how to reset the alarm. Honda of America is by far the worst in customer service and they don't help you. Honda warranty doesn't come close to Toyota's warranty. I regret purchasing 2 Honda's 2017 and 2018. Now I have to be praying they don't break down as the warranty sucks and the customer service is rude and harassed me with questions of exact date, times and representatives' names. How am I supposed to remember all that?? Nor did I know they do not record every visit in the system. I do not recommend a Honda to anyone, unless you want to be dealing with broken/defective parts and poor customer service from Honda of America.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Honda Civic that is less than 2 years old, under 35k, and still completely under warranty. Honda will not cover the $2000 repair bill. Spacing on front grill is too large which resulted in a rock getting in and damaging the AC condenser $750. Clearly a design flaw. All four brakes rusted, another $1,200. Honda takes no responsibility.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I own 2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport. I have power steering light, brake light, traction control light coming on. I took it into Honda. They said they fix it. But after a week the lights on my dash come on. I paid $293.00 to have them reset it. It didn't fix anything. I call 2 different shop. They said it could be a electrical issue. I look up recalls on my car. The power steering electrical pump causes the problem I'm having. I have no DTC codes when I hook my own scan tools up to it. Honda knows about these problem. They should just fix all the problem. Before they sell these cars.

Original review: June 13, 2020

Long gone are the days where Honda built great affordable cars that would last. Bought a brand new Civic. Not even a month later I could hear rattling on passenger side. 2 trips to the dealership and they couldn't figure out the issue. Drove me nuts so I started taking things apart where the sound was coming from. Turns out it was a loose screw inside passenger seat belt box. Took it back and they were like "oh, you're right, you should be a technician for Honda." At 8k miles, the ac started to blow warm. Turns out Honda has bad condensers and compressors. At 11k miles, the car's front looked like I blasted it with pellets because how weak the paint is. At 15k, window motor went out. Honda also now has a oil dilution problem on its Earth Dreams engine where gasoline ends up in your oil. At 20k miles, I cut my loses and moved on from this car. I always felt something would go wrong. I highly doubt this car makes it past 100k miles.

Original review: May 22, 2020

On 5/14/2020 my 2015 Civic Exl with 74k miles in it was totaled by an engine fire. That afternoon, I parked my 2015 Honda Civic EX L in my driveway and took groceries in the house. I came back out within a few minutes For the rest of the groceries and there was a fire starting in the front of the engine (battery area). The battery was installed less than 9 months ago at a Honda Dealership at a cost of 177.00. Car went up very fast and the firewall was inadequate, had I been driving when this happened I wouldn’t have survived. I live close to the fire station and the truck was there within minutes.

I start doing research at NHTSA website and now find out Accords and Odyssey’s were recalled for battery/engine fires, why not civics? My civic was within the dates for the accord fires. I contacted Honda corporate and they deny any possible problem and declined to help. Dealership service department denied any knowledge of engine fires in any Hondas, so I referred them to the recall info on NHTSA site! I have had other Honda vehicles and I am very disappointed it this and the way they responded. Their ‘case manager’ was dismissive and basically told me they didn’t care what I put on social media (I posted pictures on their FB page). I will never again advise anyone to buy any Honda. Wish I could post all the pictures cause it’s scary how fast that car burned.

Honda Civic Company Information