Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
4.03/5

Honda Civic

The Honda Civic is available as a coupe or a hatchback. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

309 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 1, 2019

I bought a new Civic Nov 2015, the original tires and battery had to be replaced sooner than was expected. The interior is nice and the seats are comfortable. The suspension/handling of the car is smooth, especially when mountain driving. Have received compliments on the look of the car, so far so good, mileage is @ 32,000.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I started buying Honda Civics back in 2012. It's the first car that I can honestly say fit me like a glove. I loved my 2012 Civic so much that I upgraded 2 years later to a 2014 Civic. I literally called my sales agent and said I'll take a blue one. Everything I hoped would be upgraded was. 2 years after that, I went in to have my car detailed and the van driver asked why so I told him I wanted it to look brand new. He asked if I had seen the new Civics... I hadn't. So I looked... and bought the new one that very day. It was literally light years away from the previous one. This time I bought a Titanium Honda Civic. I received so many compliments on that vehicle. All throughout the 2 years I had it.

My son is turning 18 in 3 years so I asked him what colour of car he likes best... because I'm passing the Honda Torch onto him in 3 years. He said Titanium. So... I now have a brand new car that looks identical to my last Honda Civic! It's even more comfortable and the subtle new features are a welcome change from the last. There's a bit of cognitive dissonance getting behind the wheel of a brand new vehicle that looks just like the former one. But what a joy to drive! Thank you Honda!! I can't wait to see my 5th Civic!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I bought my 2015 Honda Civic brand new in April of 2015. It is now October 2018 and I have 325000 miles on this car. I'm still running with the factory exhaust, shocks, struts, alternator, water pump, etc... I'm on my second battery as I used up the first one. I didn't replace my brakes until around 225,000 as most of my driving is highway and I don't really use them. I replaced the serpentine belt at 200,000 and was told us still had wear left in it but honestly at 200,000 I was getting kind of nervous that I might be getting ready to go. So basically I change the oil every 7500 miles, the spark plugs every 100000 miles and the tires every 8 months or so... Aside from gas I'm good to go.

The only problem that I didn't have resolved with this car was that the backup camera stop working about 7 months after I bought it. I took it back to my dealer and he refused to fix it as the warranty was for 3 years or 36000 miles and I had over 45,000 miles on the car. Personally I don't feel items like backup cameras should be listed under a specific mileage warranty but instead perhaps covered under the 3-year part of it, but I'm 49 years old and learned to backup my car without a camera so this detail will not prevent me from purchasing another Civic - excellent car.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Just do oil change, breaks, all other fluids & tires. I bought it with 29,000 miles on it & I have $175,000 on it now & still running in really, really good conditions as brand new. I have driven this car only for 3 years & have all these highway miles with 38 mpg. I love it. I only did synthetic or semi-synthetic oil change. Excellent car ever!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I bought my 2013 Honda Civic Coupe EX brand new Sept 2013. The original battery still working. The ride is quiet and very comfortable. The car fills very strong. A/C works great and can very cold. I do recommend getting all the windows (except the windshield) tinted. Great car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Civic?

Original review: July 13, 2019

This is the 4th Honda that I've bought brand new over the years, all of my previous Hondas I've absolutely loved. The 2016 Honda Civic EX-T has completely changed my thoughts on the Honda car brand. Issue #1- Right away I started having electrical issues (not starting, throwing random lights, infotainment freezing, draining battery, the list goes on), after 6 trips to the dealership they finally get it straightened out. #2- My steering column has an issue and needs to be replaced. #3- 700 miles after my warranty expired my engine blew and flooded the turbo with oil ($7,000 altogether).

#4- and most recently (4 months after the engine and turbo were replaced) my transmission gives out. Now they want $3,000 to fix that. At this point it doesn't drive, I still owe 10 grand on it plus had to take out another loan for the 7 grand to replace the engine and turbo all adds up to my really wanting to drive it through their front door and give it back to them. Good luck if you're brave enough to buy one of these.

Original review: July 9, 2019

2016 Civic Air Conditioning under 36,000 miles. Don't buy this car! I had issues with the A/C right away. I had it fixed August 2018 and it is out again July 2019. Dealer said it is the condenser and it would cost $850.00. I am sure the dealer did a minor fix instead of fixing the big problem the first time. I reached out to Honda and they said Debris is not covered under warranty. I asked them to pay $150.00 for a 2nd opinion and they wouldn't do that either. Save yourself $- don't buy this car, you shouldn't have to fork out this amount of $ when you have a new car. Honda dealer is in Cerritos, CA.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I leased a 2017 Honda Civic LX in 2017. I really love the vehicle as far as its look, great on gas, etc. However the driver seat even set at its highest is still too low for me to see the lower front of the vehicle and I find myself parking over parking lot barriers etc. and as a result I get damage under the bumper. The front of the vehicle is much too low. Yesterday I damaged the front lower left bumper because I hit a corner of a curb. If I could have seen the curb and the front wasn't so low it wouldn't have happened. I have to purchase a thick pillow to put on the driver side so I can see the curbs, etc.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I will never ever purchase another Honda. Purchased 2016 Honda Civic for daughter's graduation gift. At first 419 miles, entire warning light on instrument lit up like Christmas Tree. Gears locked up and will not shift.. Luckily local dealer wasn't too far and was able to drive it in on locked 2nd gear. Dealer claim there's no bulletin out on such problem.. Well that was first major issue. Not at 5390 miles, same thing happened except this time gear is locked completely and entire warning lights lit up again. End up towing it in to local dealer for service and end up replacing TCM and PCM.

Now at 24000 miles, engine warning light came on and took it in for service again. Told problem with Evac Canister.. After two days, dealer replaced the part but check engine light is still on.. Going 3rd day in dealer and not sure what's going on. Vehicle is still under original warranty but will expire next month on 3rd year with 24333 miles on it. Can't even describe how frustrating I am.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have a 2016 Honda EX-T with 75,000 miles. Already need the turbo replaced. Honda claims they are not aware of a problem despite a simple Google search turns up numerous threads of the exact same problem. The fix cost over $2000! Beware before you buy. Last time I will buy a Honda. Same problem as everyone. Out of the clear all the warning lights come on, brake, stability emission, etc. No advance warning. I have reported to Honda but received no assistance with the problem.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have had my Honda Civic for three years now. When I first saw this car it seems like every teenager's dream car. The remodel they did for the Honda was stylish and eye-catching. I had to have this car! The dealer Bob who I got the car thru was shady and misleading. He told me a price when I was test driving then when I was about to purchase my car went up 2,000. I will never purchase a car thru them ever again. When I first purchased the car drove smooth and easy. After a month after having the car the carpet in the back started coming up. I took it back to the dealer only for them to try and blame me or someone that has been in my car. After explaining to them no one drives or rides in my car. They decided to just replace the carpet. They kept my car a whole day to replace the carpet. Which was okay, because they paid for my rental car.

After six months my carpet started coming up again. This time they had no explanation to why my carpet was still coming up. Their solution was to just stuff the piece that was coming out back under the seat. My carpet coming up has been a reoccurring thing since I brought the car. Maybe it's the type of carpet they put in the cars now. Another thing is sometimes my Bluetooth won't connect to my car. I have the latest iPhone, I'm thinking it is a malfunction in the car. Sometimes the USB won't work. I love that this car is spacious and different for the older model Hondas. Even though I have been in three accident since I had this car all not my fault. I would purchase this car again if the interior is updated.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Earlier this month I experienced and issue with my windows and sunroof opening automatically overnight during a thunderstorm. I've spoken to service departments at two dealerships and the Regional Case Manager with HONDA Customer Service, who have all tried to blame me for this occurrence. Hundreds of dollars later I am being told that this is not covered under the warranty and the cost of repairs falls to my insurance. HONDA assumes no responsibility for the damages, cost of car rental or towing. Although a simple Google search was able to locate other customers with the same complaint, HONDA insist that this is an isolated incident. They have taken no ownership for the glitch or the inconvenience this has caused me. This is my first HONDA and probably my last because once they've got your money, they don't care.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Every time I have a light come on no one knows the issue. That really makes me want go on a road trip. I’d rather buy another manufacturer product after my nightmare. I’ve had power steering. Electric works don’t work. No one can find an issue. Come on now.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I bought a Honda Civic in 2017. I have had three incidents where multiple electrical things completely went out. Radio, Bluetooth, back up camera door locks, can't open my trunk (with the key fob or from the trunk button in the car), indicator lights on the dashboard. It's been repaired and happens again. All I get from Hamilton Honda in Hamilton NJ, is that "these cars are all computers now". Maybe, but I know no one else who has had these issues with a Honda, I got a lemon and this seems as if it will keep happening. The car is only two years old. I will never buy another Honda.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I had heard that Civic is very reliable, well mine wasn't. A few months ago the airbag was deployed when I hit a curb while parking; my acceleration and speed was not high however the Honda representative didn't show me the report and just said, "You had a high impact." Last Saturday interestingly I had a crash hitting a Lexus very hard from the front and no airbag was deployed. I had hurt my knees and right cage.

Original review: March 1, 2019

The paint used on the car was defective and began bubbling up, leading to rust. The company extended the warranty, but required that a local Honda dealer authorized auto body shop do the work. They painted over the defective paint, apparently, because within a year or so it was bubbling up and had rust underneath. I got an estimate from a local body shop but they insisted it had to again be a Honda dealer authorized auto body shop. I got that estimate which was 1/3 higher than the local estimate. I can't get the case manager to call me back, which is very frustrating after four weeks or so.

I was hoping to get the work done when I leave for vacation in a week, but that is now unlikely meaning that I will have to rent a car during the repair process. On top of that, I am expected to pay half the cost of the repairs although I cannot choose the shop to do the work - close to $1000 for my part alone. I could go back to the original shop, but they would have to agree that poor workmanship was responsible, which is unlikely. Very frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I purchased my 2014 Honda Civic in Sept 2018 with a new battery installed before I purchased it because the car didn't start when they wanted me to test drive it. So I told them that I will only buy the car if they installed a new one and they told me that they did. I had to get a new battery last week which costs me $214.00 which I consider to be a total rip off. A battery is suppose to last more than a year and they told me I had no warranty on it because they installed it and then sold me the car. I think that Honda should pay for the battery that I just got installed by them.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I own a 2016 Honda Civic Lx Coupe. This car was purchased new from Coggin Deland Honda. Recently, I had a turn signal bulb fail, so I went to my local parts store to purchase replacement bulbs. Below is the recommended bulb for the 2016 Honda Civic Lx Coupe. The recommended bulb for the 2016 Honda Civic Lx Coupe is the Zevo Mini bulb 7440A. However the only bulb that fits my 2016 Honda Civic Lx Coupe is the Sylvania 1157A which is for the 2000 Honda Civic Lx. It seems that my 2016 Honda Civic Lx Coupe has a wiring harness from 16 years ago. I have attempted to contact you at Honda Headquarters and asked why my 2016 Civic has a cut-rate wiring harness from 16 years ago, and what other parts might also be of a cut-rate nature on this car, but my contact has fallen on deaf ears.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have Civic 2018. At first I had very bad experience at the dealership which is Garden State Honda in Clifton, New Jersey. The sales Consultant (Christian **) was very unprofessional. I had to complain to the manager so many times for his mistakes. He gave me hard time filing the papers. Then after only 6 months I started to have issues with the car. The battery died twice. When I went to the service the first time which is in Passaic, New Jersey they told me nothing wrong then the second time they said it needs to be changed.

Another issue was the window it was not going up and down properly so I went to the service. They changed the regulator, but the problem was still there. So I went again they said the regulator has to be wiped, I still have the same problem but they say there is nothing. So I called the manager her name is Dina. She said no there is something wrong with this window. So they changed the regulator again, now it's good. Another issue is that I always hear clicking in the car but of course because they do not know what it is they say there is nothing. Now my problem is with the AC. One side of the front gives me hot and the other side gives cold, also the AC has to be on low to be cold. I cannot control it. Again I went to the service. First time they changed the condenser, nothing changed. I went again they changed the whole compressor, but nothing.

Third time I went they said there is a hole in the pipe and changed it, same problem so they said the freon is low. Until now I still have the same problem and they cannot fix it. I called the customer service manager. His name is Jeff, sadly he did not do anything and told me, "Nothing I can do about it and I have to hang up the call." Do you imagine how much time I wasted and not working for fixing the same issues. I asked them to change this car for me or even compensate me for wasting my time because it's their fault for not fixing the issue, and even if they fix it it has to be after many trials. I am very disappointed at Honda.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I bought a new Honda Civic lx 4 door sedan in 2008. Loved the car but after 1 yr both sun visors cracked and just hung there. I had them replaced and same thing happened a yr later. I traded the car in 2010 for a 2011. Again the visors cracked and I had them replaced at the dealer. After a long argument as they wanted to charge me $250.00 to replace each one I mentioned I had written to Honda Corp. about this issue but I never got a response. I also told the dealer there was a lawsuit regarding the visors.

Then they told me they would replace them free of charge. As you can guess the visors are broken again. What Honda should have done is replace them for better visors that don't crack. I am going on 8 yrs with this car with a total of 71,000 mi. and now started replacing moldings around windows as they are fading and cracking. This is my 3rd Honda and I am happy with it except for the visor problem and the cracking of the window moldings all around the car. I also bought a 4th Honda Civic Hatch. Fun car to drive.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I got a brand new Honda Civic-Ext last year (2017) and I always used Honda dealership for regular services but every time they change engine oil it gets dark within 2-3 days and sometimes even earlier. Notified them 4 times on each service but they were like, "This is perfectly fine." I am driving from last 13 years and know how to maintain my car perfectly especially when it is a brand new. Went to third party to get it serviced and they were able to fix this issue in 1 minute. Got my car serviced even though I paid more than regular amount but at least I was able to know what the issue is. It is been 3 weeks now and my car engine oil is in good condition, not even a little bit brown. Why can't Honda do this when we as a customer pay them what they always asked and why there is no after sales service. NOt expected this from Honda.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

We bought a Honda Civic brand new and with only 21,000 miles on it, it has been in the shop multiple times. Air-conditioner system had to be replaced, CD player in back up screen had to be replaced, Front Brake rotors needed to be resurfaced. Totaling approximately $5000.00 worth of repairs in less than 4 years. Never buy a Honda again.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have a 2016 Civic Touring with 40k miles. The infotainment screen goes awry since a month after I bought it brand new and I can't even access the heat/AC, back up camera, side camera, music, etc. I've brought it in a few times but the issue persists. Today they wouldn't even look at it because they can't replicate the problem. Other option was to pay over 100 dollars for a tech to look at it, most likely the tech would come to the same conclusion. They wouldn't even take the matter up the chain of command. How is Honda gonna know what is happening if they don't listen or watch the video I have of this continuous issue. I've researched online forums and many others have this problem. I hope Honda will one day fix this infotainment mishap.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Hello all. I purchased a 2017 Honda Civic Sport in Championship White and the car is absolutely nice inside and out only exception Honda is failing their customers, I was driving home on 10/02/2018 from base and after a while vehicle lost power and smoke started coming out the exhaust and out of the engine bay so I pulled over quickly and out of traffic to the side of the road and as soon as I popped the hood open there was a small fire by the firewall. Within seconds the fire got out of control, if it wasn't for the water and rockstars and water I got from other motorists I wouldn't have extinguished the fire, the vehicle is at the shop now. I am awaiting the report as to how it caught on fire, proceed with caution as to other 10th generation owners are experiencing their cars randomly catching on fire.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We are leasing a 2017 Honda Civic EX. Today at 5 pm, we were at Whole Foods and when we started the car to go home, it wouldn't start and the brake was on lock position. We called Roadside Assistance number and they told us it would take 70 minutes. I thought it was an awfully long time but hey, there was nothing we could do about it. At 6:30pm, I decided to call again (90 minutes later)... I am on hold for 15 minutes and the rep says she cannot locate the driver. She apologized and exclaimed it was ridiculous (you bet!).

She offered to dispatch another driver and keep this original order open just in case. We receive a call saying it will take 90 minutes. What???! WE WAITED UNTIL 7:30 PM AND STILL NO ONE SHOWED UP!!! 2 AND A HALF HOURS AFTER OUR ORIGINAL REQUEST!!! I finally decided to call our insurance provider GEICO... 7 MINUTES LATER THEY ARRIVED!!! Honda Roadside Assistance gives Honda a bad name!!! Very unprofessional and careless. Sorry Honda, but when our lease is up we will give our money elsewhere!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I recently purchased my 2018 Honda Civic hatch and it is my first and probably only new car I will even experience, the dealer at Martin Honda, Newark Delaware started my sale when the sun was up but I didnt get to look it all the way over before dark. I didnt notice the faded paint spot on rear door rail, or the hairline scratches on the display screen, or the swirls that were noticed and documented the day after purchase, or the little hole in my seat that is only getting bigger, and now 8000 miles in when I'm in a slow acceleration or coast it feels as if someone is feathering the breaks... I have contacted the dealer, Honda, and anyone who I can leave a message or email for and, still no response. Thanks for the great experience Honda... awesome!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Bought my 2012 Honda Civic brand new. It is just reaching 100,000 miles. The compass hasn't work for almost 1 year now, cost $800 to replace. The Bluetooth hasn't worked for about 6 months now, no idea how much that is going to cost. Torque converter got all messed up so I had a noticeable vibration on acceleration, $400 to fix that and they said it's a 50/50 chance still that I will have to replace the torque converter at $1,800. Now the alternator is shot, spending $800 on that today. You buy a Honda for the supposed 200,000 miles without a hiccup. That is definitely not the case, won't purchase another Honda.

Original review: July 21, 2018

After 7 months of leasing, the radio dropped my XM satellite information and won't receive XM any longer. Also my FM presets well vanish days after inputting them. If my phone is connected via Bluetooth the car will ring when I get a phone call but I can't answer it with my car, I have to use the speaker phone on my cell. Also if I get a text, my cat will disengage my cell phone and I have to re-engage it while driving. Very unsafe!! Extremely disappointed with this vehicle and completely let down but Honda who say that there's nothing that can be done until more people have this problem. What a P.O.S.!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I am a loyal Honda brand member having purchased 4 cars from them in the last 7 years. I purchased my 2018 Honda Civic Type R on February 12, 2018 at a dealer markup ($3000 over MSRP) after going back and forth with dealers for months. After only driving the car for 4700 miles, the car has a major transmission leak and the navigation screen has micro scratches all over it. Nothing has ever touched my screen besides my fingers (no towels, no microfiber towels). I took the car into the dealer I purchased it at (Norm Reeves Honda Irvine) on July 5th 2018 and spoke to a manager by the name of Quincy. I explained my situation to him and he agreed that he would take care of the screen and make sure the transmission gets taken care of promptly.

I came down to the service lot and communicated what Quincy and I had just spoke about to my service manager Brett **. Quincy actually came down and gave Brett his extension in case he needed any help. Brett contacted me on Friday to explain that my car was not looked at yet and he would get the ball rolling asap. He advised he would give me an update of Saturday with a video of the issue. Fast forward to Saturday July 7th and I still have not received any word from the dealer or service department about my car. I tried calling for 30 min and nobody could connect me with any of the managers, Brett, Quincy, or even the general sales manager Garrett ** whom I had purchased the car from originally.

I attempted to reach out to Garrett and he kept screening my phone calls. Then when I frustratingly called back he text me from his cell phone that I was blowing up his phone and he can't talk because he was in front of a customer. I advised that I was going to contact American Honda and file a complaint if someone could not communicate to me what was happening to my car. He told me to do what I thought I needed and to not take a frustrated tone with him. This is after paying a $3000 markup on a new car. After filing the complaint with Honda, they contacted me on Tuesday to discuss the issue. I spoke to an agent by the name of Dempsy. After hearing my story, he agreed that they would be willing to cover the screen under good faith and he would contact the dealership to communicate that with them and take care of the transmission issue as soon as possible.

I contacted the dealership on Thursday July 12th to communicate what Honda had told me and he advised that was good news because the dealer had denied my warranty claim on a $700 screen because the damage was caused by outside influences like a microfiber towel. Even if I had cleaned it with a microfiber towel, which I never have, a microfiber towel shouldn't cause damage to a navigation screen.

I now sit here without my car for the last 7 days, and the dealer has just sent me the video today explaining that I have a transmission leak. Well, no kidding I told them that 7 days ago. They still haven't given me a reason for the leak and I suspect they are taking this long so they can find a reason to deny the claim on the transmission also. American Honda also called me today letting me know that they spoke to the dealer and have also decided to deny my claim on the micro scratched screen. This has by far been the worst new car purchasing experience.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have had very good experience with Honda Civic. Hondas are very reliable and I have had zero problems with it and have had it for 13 years now. I wouldn't trade it in or sell it for anything, unless maybe it's a newer version of what I have already! I love the look of it, compact and quick yet simple and reliable. My car has made me love Hondas even more than I already did. I chose my Honda because it was a trade in at a dealership and it had very low miles and it was just sitting there calling to me! But I would like to have had more options than it has. It is a 2003 though. I would want a newer version so that I could have more cool standard options.

Honda Civic Company Information