4.03/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Honda Civic

The Honda Civic is available as a coupe or a hatchback. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Honda Civic Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I bought a brand new 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport in February 2019. I drove a lot of miles which, is at about 30k right now. I noticed the rear floor lining is popping out under the rear right seat. The rear floor lining isn’t sitting flush against the bottom board of the car. So, because it isn’t laid flat there’s a gap. When the carpet gets stepped on, the hole that’s holding the lining underneath the plastic is stretching out causing the lining to pop out. Because the lining is underneath the front seats and the seat railing is bolted on top of the lining, it can’t be repositioned to get rid of the gap, unless all the front seats and railings get removed.

I went to the Honda dealership to get it fixed since it’s under the 36,000 mile warranty, they said it wasn’t fixable because it’s considered wear and tear. And even though it’s new, it has too many miles, therefore it will be considered wear and tear. How is that wear and tear, when the direct result of that happening was because Honda didn’t align the floor lining correctly in the first place. If it was aligned correctly against the floor and back board, the hole that’s holding the carpet lining in place wouldn’t have stretched so much.

I’ve had nothing but great experiences with past Honda vehicles, no major issues. So this time I decided to switch from a Hyundai back to a Honda. If I knew At 30k miles, the quality of a Honda was ** like this, I would’ve just stayed with my Hyundai and not bought a brand new Honda. It seems like the quality of Honda is going down the drain and becoming worse than a Hyundai.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Sooo totally disgusted with Honda. 2017 Civic. Still under warranty with only 30K on it and AC unit starts blowing hot air. Dealer says it's the compressor but Honda has not released a replacement part yet. Honda say it's their supplier who has not shipped yet and they don't know when they will. Sorry for your luck. Omgosh. Wish I could give zero stars. Certainly would never buy Honda again.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Hi, I'm a loyal Honda costumer for years. I just bought a 2016 Honda Civic which has been diagnosed that the AC isn't working properly. I have researched online and this same issue (AC compressor/condenser leaking) is a common problem for 10th gen Civics that can be proved after seeing thousands of owners with the exact same issue as mine. The damage in my compressor, after the diagnose, was NOT due to road damage. Seems to be a design flaw, -- as the dealership said, which also suggested me to contact American Honda to take another look at my case, also the Honda tech confirmed they have a corrosion problem with 2016 Civic AC.

I got a quote of over $1700 to replace the condenser. This issue needs to be actively looked at by Honda because soon enough, all 10th gen owners may or will experience this problem. Me as many other owners are very disappointed with such a problem. Last but not least, it's illegal to vent refrigerant to the atmosphere, so a leak in thousands of Honda Civics AC system is a safety hazard for the driver and for the environment. Reports further also allege that the malfunction in the Civic A/C condensers and compressors create risks for damage to other components in the vehicles’ systems.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I purchased a 2016 Honda Civic. I thought this was a reliable car. I have less than 13,000 miles and have had three batteries. (The one it came with and two more.) I had to take it in because it would hesitate when I would turn right. They were unable to duplicate. The module display went bad and it had to be replaced. When I asked why so many batteries the service department said, "I don’t know." I called the Corporate office and they said I don’t drive the car enough. I will never ever buy or suggest that anyone buy a Honda. I feel I have a lemon and Honda has not been helpful at all. Please do not buy, if you have a problem with the car you are on your own.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I had 2016 Honda Civic EX. My car AC not working. I took car to dealership and find out that condenser and compressor not working need to replace. They had to order part. But, since Honda does not have part in stock they were not able to repair. Also, there is no any guaranteed time period when part will arrive since Honda has back log order. Honda is not small car company. They do manufacturer different car models. How can they don't have part in stock. I also email to Honda customer care department and in reply I got email that I will get call from manager in 3 to 5 business day which I had not received. Looks like they only know to make money from customer but does not know to provide proper service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Civic?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

The air conditioning problems with the 10th generation Honda Civic seem to be widespread. Even more troubling is the fact that Honda refuses to address these issues and/or correct the problems even when under warranty. I have been a Honda customer since the early 90s, this being my 4th Honda auto. My a/c issue just started a month ago. The driver's side vents blow ambient/hot air, while the passenger side blows cold air. Did a little research and more than likely the system has a low charge of refrigerant (although other factors could be involved) but this being the more likely cause. I have 41k miles on the car and am outside the warranty, so any repairs made will have to come out of pocket. After reading all the horror stories on various blogs and complaint sites, and having a relative idea of what the repair costs would be, it seems that the best solution is to get rid of this lemon and trade it in for a more reliable vehicle.

How could one justify the cost of spending in upwards of $3k or more for repairs, when I have less than a year left of payments?! It seems a lot of these problems can be traced back to the new refrigerant R-1234yf that was recently implemented in the 10th Gen Honda Civic. Extremely expensive to recharge and repair. This new refrigerant will be standard on all vehicles in the US starting in 2021, so if anyone wishes to make a new auto purchase, do so quickly! Honda needs to step up and address these problems, make the repairs, and stop gouging of what little remains, I soon suspect, of their loyal customer base. After 30 years, I for one, am no longer one of them! Past Honda’s owned: 1980 Honda Accord LX; 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. Current: 2002 Honda S2000; 2016 Honda Civic Touring.

Original review: July 13, 2019

This is the 4th Honda that I've bought brand new over the years, all of my previous Hondas I've absolutely loved. The 2016 Honda Civic EX-T has completely changed my thoughts on the Honda car brand. Issue #1- Right away I started having electrical issues (not starting, throwing random lights, infotainment freezing, draining battery, the list goes on), after 6 trips to the dealership they finally get it straightened out. #2- My steering column has an issue and needs to be replaced. #3- 700 miles after my warranty expired my engine blew and flooded the turbo with oil ($7,000 altogether).

#4- and most recently (4 months after the engine and turbo were replaced) my transmission gives out. Now they want $3,000 to fix that. At this point it doesn't drive, I still owe 10 grand on it plus had to take out another loan for the 7 grand to replace the engine and turbo all adds up to my really wanting to drive it through their front door and give it back to them. Good luck if you're brave enough to buy one of these.

Original review: July 9, 2019

2016 Civic Air Conditioning under 36,000 miles. Don't buy this car! I had issues with the A/C right away. I had it fixed August 2018 and it is out again July 2019. Dealer said it is the condenser and it would cost $850.00. I am sure the dealer did a minor fix instead of fixing the big problem the first time. I reached out to Honda and they said Debris is not covered under warranty. I asked them to pay $150.00 for a 2nd opinion and they wouldn't do that either. Save yourself $- don't buy this car, you shouldn't have to fork out this amount of $ when you have a new car. Honda dealer is in Cerritos, CA.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I leased a 2017 Honda Civic LX in 2017. I really love the vehicle as far as its look, great on gas, etc. However the driver seat even set at its highest is still too low for me to see the lower front of the vehicle and I find myself parking over parking lot barriers etc. and as a result I get damage under the bumper. The front of the vehicle is much too low. Yesterday I damaged the front lower left bumper because I hit a corner of a curb. If I could have seen the curb and the front wasn't so low it wouldn't have happened. I have to purchase a thick pillow to put on the driver side so I can see the curbs, etc.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I will never ever purchase another Honda. Purchased 2016 Honda Civic for daughter's graduation gift. At first 419 miles, entire warning light on instrument lit up like Christmas Tree. Gears locked up and will not shift.. Luckily local dealer wasn't too far and was able to drive it in on locked 2nd gear. Dealer claim there's no bulletin out on such problem.. Well that was first major issue. Not at 5390 miles, same thing happened except this time gear is locked completely and entire warning lights lit up again. End up towing it in to local dealer for service and end up replacing TCM and PCM.

Now at 24000 miles, engine warning light came on and took it in for service again. Told problem with Evac Canister.. After two days, dealer replaced the part but check engine light is still on.. Going 3rd day in dealer and not sure what's going on. Vehicle is still under original warranty but will expire next month on 3rd year with 24333 miles on it. Can't even describe how frustrating I am.

Honda Civic Company Information