3.8/5 (185 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Honda Civic

The Honda Civic is available as a coupe or a hatchback. Read more Honda reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Honda Civic Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Civic?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Civic?

Original review: July 24, 2020

Honda Civic that is less than 2 years old, under 35k, and still completely under warranty. Honda will not cover the $2000 repair bill. Spacing on front grill is too large which resulted in a rock getting in and damaging the AC condenser $750. Clearly a design flaw. All four brakes rusted, another $1,200. Honda takes no responsibility.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I own 2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport. I have power steering light, brake light, traction control light coming on. I took it into Honda. They said they fix it. But after a week the lights on my dash come on. I paid $293.00 to have them reset it. It didn't fix anything. I call 2 different shop. They said it could be a electrical issue. I look up recalls on my car. The power steering electrical pump causes the problem I'm having. I have no DTC codes when I hook my own scan tools up to it. Honda knows about these problem. They should just fix all the problem. Before they sell these cars.

Original review: June 13, 2020

Long gone are the days where Honda built great affordable cars that would last. Bought a brand new Civic. Not even a month later I could hear rattling on passenger side. 2 trips to the dealership and they couldn't figure out the issue. Drove me nuts so I started taking things apart where the sound was coming from. Turns out it was a loose screw inside passenger seat belt box. Took it back and they were like "oh, you're right, you should be a technician for Honda." At 8k miles, the ac started to blow warm. Turns out Honda has bad condensers and compressors. At 11k miles, the car's front looked like I blasted it with pellets because how weak the paint is. At 15k, window motor went out. Honda also now has a oil dilution problem on its Earth Dreams engine where gasoline ends up in your oil. At 20k miles, I cut my loses and moved on from this car. I always felt something would go wrong. I highly doubt this car makes it past 100k miles.

Original review: May 22, 2020

On 5/14/2020 my 2015 Civic Exl with 74k miles in it was totaled by an engine fire. That afternoon, I parked my 2015 Honda Civic EX L in my driveway and took groceries in the house. I came back out within a few minutes For the rest of the groceries and there was a fire starting in the front of the engine (battery area). The battery was installed less than 9 months ago at a Honda Dealership at a cost of 177.00. Car went up very fast and the firewall was inadequate, had I been driving when this happened I wouldn’t have survived. I live close to the fire station and the truck was there within minutes.

I start doing research at NHTSA website and now find out Accords and Odyssey’s were recalled for battery/engine fires, why not civics? My civic was within the dates for the accord fires. I contacted Honda corporate and they deny any possible problem and declined to help. Dealership service department denied any knowledge of engine fires in any Hondas, so I referred them to the recall info on NHTSA site! I have had other Honda vehicles and I am very disappointed it this and the way they responded. Their ‘case manager’ was dismissive and basically told me they didn’t care what I put on social media (I posted pictures on their FB page). I will never again advise anyone to buy any Honda. Wish I could post all the pictures cause it’s scary how fast that car burned.

Original review: April 5, 2020

The single worst vehicle I've ever used. In three years...4 times the vehicle decided to lock me out. The 'mechanical' key that comes out of the fob is only for looks and only works with the electronic computer in the car. The battery is too small to handle the ' improvements' and you need to plan to buy a new battery every year. Galpin Honda will lie and come up with a myriad of excuses to not fulfill the warranty even if you buy the extended one. Stay away from new and used Civics (as far back as 2016). Honda is relying on a past good reputation and quit making quality or caring about customer service.

Original review: March 17, 2020

My 2018 Honda Civic Si has been in the shop three times since December 2019 with a fuel problem - first two trips covered under warranty now Honda wants me to pay even though the problem started while under warranty. First time - fuel pump replaced. Second time - relay's replaced. Third time - fuse box and wiring harness. Have purchased 9 Honda's since 2000 and was considering a new 2020 Pilot. Now over $500 Honda is willing to let me go to another auto company. $172 in parts and $332 in towing - this will be the last Honda product I purchase.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I bought a Honda Civic Sport, 6-speed, a year ago. When I went to the dealer, he did not have a sport, 6-speed on the lot; and, one was not ordered. I dealership 50 miles away was expecting one within the month. I asked to get the premium sound and navigation system. Was told it was not an option for the sport model, I had to get another model, but an automatic. Didn't want an automatic. I figured the sound couldn't be that bad. NOT. I had the speakers replaced and, wow, the speaker magnets that came with the car were very lightweight. During the buy, I was told the car came with Android Auto. Yep. It came... and then it goes. The navigation through Android does not stay connected. Was told by Honda Tech that I had to disconnect Bluetooth. I did. Nada. No difference. After about 20 minutes, the navigation might stay connected, but no guarantees.

Oh, did I tell you I also wanted Sirius/XM? I couldn't get that either. Had to go to an after-market kit and have it professionally installed. Now, I got a little dot on my trunk instead of one of those cool looking shark-fin antennas. The fix, all Honda had to do was give me the option to PAY for an upgrade. Instead they said, "Nope, we don't want your money." What a way to do business.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I bought my 2019 Honda Civic Sedan (trim just right below touring). It’s been great on gas, runs good, safety features are nice but there are some issue that need to be fixed. When you turn on the right blinker and the camera shows the side of the vehicle (great feature) but it stays for quite a bit of time and cause an issue when you have a navigation system on and cannot see the directions. As far as the lane departure this is great until you are on roads that barely have lines or you are have to merge and it starts jerking you to a specific side causing a fight between you and your vehicle. When you press the brake hold for use during traffic.

Also a great feature but also has its downfalls. It kicks back when you brake and move forward. It almost feels like the car behind you bumps your car. Front safety brake is slow to alert you when you’re getting too close to a vehicle and it does not brake for you. Big issue. Every safety feature seems to be slow and not really useful in real time. But happy Honda finally made safety a priority and hope they will continue to fix all of the bugs and issues.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Bought a 2006 Honda Civic in 2013 for our son. A month after buying, we received a warranty extension on engine block cracking. We were sick over it, and angry that Arrowhead Honda didn’t disclose; as it was an issue since 2010. Arrowhead Honda assured us that any issues would be taken care of. Fast forward December 18, 2019. Guess what? Cracked engine block on a 2006 with 129,000 miles! Since it’s conveniently out of warranty extension, American Honda will do nothing.

Arrowhead offered $1000 cost to us to replace block, then pulled that and said Friends and Family discount at a cost of $3,400. On a 2006 civic? Not worth it. We would have paid the $1000 to fix block only. All that was needed. This great car is garbage and we are out money. After the bait and switch from this dealership, I would never buy from them. We’ve previously bought four Honda’s from Arrowhead Honda. Looks like the fam loves Toyota now. Hope lost business was worth it!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The car has 68000 miles on it yet it still drives like brand new. No rattles and haven't had any major problems or minor either. Easy to drive and Park. Great gas mileage. But I think the spring on the driver side door is weak because the door doesn't want to stay open. It will swing back on you.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

The most beautiful, affordable car is the 2016 Honda Civic. The other models just are sub esthetically pleasing. My car consistantly gets 34mpg and is huge in comparison to most compact cars. I love the onboard computer that tells me the efficiency of my driving. I wish that the inside wasn't quite as tight around the front seats.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Bought it 2010, the only major repair I done is replace the brakes. Maybe because I drove mostly on highways, I only replaced the brakes twice and current mileage is just a little over 180,000. The seats are still comfortable (front and back). The only complaint I have is the inside noise. It's not loud but it is noticeable to be annoying. My next car is still a Civic but I read on your review they did not improve on the noise. Overall, I do enjoy driving it more than the 2015 Accord.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

It is a good first car, reliable and, easy to maintain. It has a good fuel economy. It would definitely fit most people. However, after three years of driving it, I would like to drive something more luxurious.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I drive a 2010 Civic Si and it has been a reliable car. With the right tires, it handles well and it's fun to drive. I have had very few problems, aside from regular maintenance on this vehicle. I have only one ongoing issue where it doesn't like to start straight away when it's very wet outside and the mechanic isn't sure exactly why. There are little things that are annoying like, the center console no longer slides freely, one of the controlled vents doesn't stay in position when the heat is on, and the side window vent cover located near the front windshield pops up frequently. But, overall, the car is in good shape.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Has lasted for 30 years. Still going strong with 169,000 miles. Great gas mileage. Has been a great car. Would buy a Honda again. I just now need a bigger size like a CRV or HRV. A great size fits in tight spaces. Everything still in good working order except air conditioner has had problems last several years but believe the garage where being repaired put in inferior parts. Have even slept in it for 8 days and seven nights when camping with my dog. It worked wonderfully well since I had electricity at campground. Again, Honda still great cars!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

The Civic is a great value. It has a very comfortable ride, gets great mileage and is very cost effective. Very reasonable in the maintenance area and very stable in the highway. I have had three of them and will be getting another in the future.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I was so happy with my 2012 Honda Civic. My Civic is black and one or two years back my car start getting white spots. I thought was because was too hot and the heat was damaging the color (even that is not logic). Like 2 months ago someone told me the Honda paint have a problem (I didn't know and Honda never informed of that). Honda have a extension warranty for the paint. I was surprise like I said I didn't know this problem exist on Hondas. Apparently the don't paint the cars good just trying to get more out for sale.

I went to a dealer and explain the situation. They said they will send my information and pictures to Honda. Well they don't. Will not do it because I'm out of the time for 3 or 4 month. I'm so disappointed on this. Why I never will get another Honda. They are no true with their customer and I don't want to go aging thru all this problem. if you get a Honda Make sure is no a Problem that need to be fix.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Great gas mileage 37.6 mpg. Car has plenty of zip for a four cylinder. Stylish outside and inside. Works with Apple CarPlay. It has constant variable transmission along with paddle shifters on steering wheel.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Honda is a trustworthy brand. I have had several Hondas and they never disappoint. So I was happy to see that the new security features I wanted came standard on the 2019 Civic. And they work like a charm. I sometimes use the Adaptive Cruise Control even in the city. It works perfectly even at low speeds. The Lane Protection feature does not quite make this a self-driving care, but it's on track. The back camera has a great resolution and can be set to several levels of zoom. The car is a tad bit low, so it's not as easy as others to get in and out of. It has a large trunk space. I wish it had more USB ports to connect all my devices. And more cup-holders. The dashboard is configurable and the menus are fairly easy to navigate through.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

2000+ miles after the warranty expired, the starter on my 2016 Honda Civic broke. They would not offer any type of remuneration. I have purchased over 6 Hondas in my lifetime. It looks like I bought my last one.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I bought a brand new 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport in February 2019. I drove a lot of miles which, is at about 30k right now. I noticed the rear floor lining is popping out under the rear right seat. The rear floor lining isn’t sitting flush against the bottom board of the car. So, because it isn’t laid flat there’s a gap. When the carpet gets stepped on, the hole that’s holding the lining underneath the plastic is stretching out causing the lining to pop out. Because the lining is underneath the front seats and the seat railing is bolted on top of the lining, it can’t be repositioned to get rid of the gap, unless all the front seats and railings get removed.

I went to the Honda dealership to get it fixed since it’s under the 36,000 mile warranty, they said it wasn’t fixable because it’s considered wear and tear. And even though it’s new, it has too many miles, therefore it will be considered wear and tear. How is that wear and tear, when the direct result of that happening was because Honda didn’t align the floor lining correctly in the first place. If it was aligned correctly against the floor and back board, the hole that’s holding the carpet lining in place wouldn’t have stretched so much.

I’ve had nothing but great experiences with past Honda vehicles, no major issues. So this time I decided to switch from a Hyundai back to a Honda. If I knew At 30k miles, the quality of a Honda was ** like this, I would’ve just stayed with my Hyundai and not bought a brand new Honda. It seems like the quality of Honda is going down the drain and becoming worse than a Hyundai.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Sooo totally disgusted with Honda. 2017 Civic. Still under warranty with only 30K on it and AC unit starts blowing hot air. Dealer says it's the compressor but Honda has not released a replacement part yet. Honda say it's their supplier who has not shipped yet and they don't know when they will. Sorry for your luck. Omgosh. Wish I could give zero stars. Certainly would never buy Honda again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Hi, I'm a loyal Honda costumer for years. I just bought a 2016 Honda Civic which has been diagnosed that the AC isn't working properly. I have researched online and this same issue (AC compressor/condenser leaking) is a common problem for 10th gen Civics that can be proved after seeing thousands of owners with the exact same issue as mine. The damage in my compressor, after the diagnose, was NOT due to road damage. Seems to be a design flaw, -- as the dealership said, which also suggested me to contact American Honda to take another look at my case, also the Honda tech confirmed they have a corrosion problem with 2016 Civic AC.

I got a quote of over $1700 to replace the condenser. This issue needs to be actively looked at by Honda because soon enough, all 10th gen owners may or will experience this problem. Me as many other owners are very disappointed with such a problem. Last but not least, it's illegal to vent refrigerant to the atmosphere, so a leak in thousands of Honda Civics AC system is a safety hazard for the driver and for the environment. Reports further also allege that the malfunction in the Civic A/C condensers and compressors create risks for damage to other components in the vehicles’ systems.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I purchased a 2016 Honda Civic. I thought this was a reliable car. I have less than 13,000 miles and have had three batteries. (The one it came with and two more.) I had to take it in because it would hesitate when I would turn right. They were unable to duplicate. The module display went bad and it had to be replaced. When I asked why so many batteries the service department said, "I don’t know." I called the Corporate office and they said I don’t drive the car enough. I will never ever buy or suggest that anyone buy a Honda. I feel I have a lemon and Honda has not been helpful at all. Please do not buy, if you have a problem with the car you are on your own.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I had 2016 Honda Civic EX. My car AC not working. I took car to dealership and find out that condenser and compressor not working need to replace. They had to order part. But, since Honda does not have part in stock they were not able to repair. Also, there is no any guaranteed time period when part will arrive since Honda has back log order. Honda is not small car company. They do manufacturer different car models. How can they don't have part in stock. I also email to Honda customer care department and in reply I got email that I will get call from manager in 3 to 5 business day which I had not received. Looks like they only know to make money from customer but does not know to provide proper service.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

The air conditioning problems with the 10th generation Honda Civic seem to be widespread. Even more troubling is the fact that Honda refuses to address these issues and/or correct the problems even when under warranty. I have been a Honda customer since the early 90s, this being my 4th Honda auto. My a/c issue just started a month ago. The driver's side vents blow ambient/hot air, while the passenger side blows cold air. Did a little research and more than likely the system has a low charge of refrigerant (although other factors could be involved) but this being the more likely cause. I have 41k miles on the car and am outside the warranty, so any repairs made will have to come out of pocket. After reading all the horror stories on various blogs and complaint sites, and having a relative idea of what the repair costs would be, it seems that the best solution is to get rid of this lemon and trade it in for a more reliable vehicle.

How could one justify the cost of spending in upwards of $3k or more for repairs, when I have less than a year left of payments?! It seems a lot of these problems can be traced back to the new refrigerant R-1234yf that was recently implemented in the 10th Gen Honda Civic. Extremely expensive to recharge and repair. This new refrigerant will be standard on all vehicles in the US starting in 2021, so if anyone wishes to make a new auto purchase, do so quickly! Honda needs to step up and address these problems, make the repairs, and stop gouging of what little remains, I soon suspect, of their loyal customer base. After 30 years, I for one, am no longer one of them! Past Honda’s owned: 1980 Honda Accord LX; 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. Current: 2002 Honda S2000; 2016 Honda Civic Touring.

Original review: July 13, 2019

This is the 4th Honda that I've bought brand new over the years, all of my previous Hondas I've absolutely loved. The 2016 Honda Civic EX-T has completely changed my thoughts on the Honda car brand. Issue #1- Right away I started having electrical issues (not starting, throwing random lights, infotainment freezing, draining battery, the list goes on), after 6 trips to the dealership they finally get it straightened out. #2- My steering column has an issue and needs to be replaced. #3- 700 miles after my warranty expired my engine blew and flooded the turbo with oil ($7,000 altogether).

#4- and most recently (4 months after the engine and turbo were replaced) my transmission gives out. Now they want $3,000 to fix that. At this point it doesn't drive, I still owe 10 grand on it plus had to take out another loan for the 7 grand to replace the engine and turbo all adds up to my really wanting to drive it through their front door and give it back to them. Good luck if you're brave enough to buy one of these.

Original review: July 9, 2019

2016 Civic Air Conditioning under 36,000 miles. Don't buy this car! I had issues with the A/C right away. I had it fixed August 2018 and it is out again July 2019. Dealer said it is the condenser and it would cost $850.00. I am sure the dealer did a minor fix instead of fixing the big problem the first time. I reached out to Honda and they said Debris is not covered under warranty. I asked them to pay $150.00 for a 2nd opinion and they wouldn't do that either. Save yourself $- don't buy this car, you shouldn't have to fork out this amount of $ when you have a new car. Honda dealer is in Cerritos, CA.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I leased a 2017 Honda Civic LX in 2017. I really love the vehicle as far as its look, great on gas, etc. However the driver seat even set at its highest is still too low for me to see the lower front of the vehicle and I find myself parking over parking lot barriers etc. and as a result I get damage under the bumper. The front of the vehicle is much too low. Yesterday I damaged the front lower left bumper because I hit a corner of a curb. If I could have seen the curb and the front wasn't so low it wouldn't have happened. I have to purchase a thick pillow to put on the driver side so I can see the curbs, etc.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I will never ever purchase another Honda. Purchased 2016 Honda Civic for daughter's graduation gift. At first 419 miles, entire warning light on instrument lit up like Christmas Tree. Gears locked up and will not shift.. Luckily local dealer wasn't too far and was able to drive it in on locked 2nd gear. Dealer claim there's no bulletin out on such problem.. Well that was first major issue. Not at 5390 miles, same thing happened except this time gear is locked completely and entire warning lights lit up again. End up towing it in to local dealer for service and end up replacing TCM and PCM.

Now at 24000 miles, engine warning light came on and took it in for service again. Told problem with Evac Canister.. After two days, dealer replaced the part but check engine light is still on.. Going 3rd day in dealer and not sure what's going on. Vehicle is still under original warranty but will expire next month on 3rd year with 24333 miles on it. Can't even describe how frustrating I am.

Honda Civic Company Information