1.89/5
Based on 82 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

GMC Yukon Denali

The GMC Yukon Denali is a full-size SUV. Read more General Motors reviews to learn about other models.

84 GMC Yukon Denali Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I love my GMC Yukon Denali. It's the nicest car I've ever owned and it's a 2007. I bought it in 2014 and I will definitely buy another one but I plan on driving this for at least 2 more years. The Yukon Denali is loaded with every option that was available in 2007. It's a seven passenger vehicle, leather heated bucket seats front and back. It has everything I wanted and then some.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Yukon Denali is very very reliable, tough, smooth, practical, and sleek. Pretty low maintenance and durable in any weather. Drives very smooth and gets a lot of compliments spacious and great for winter. It has heated seats and automatic everything. DVD player, black interior and nice wheels. I like the the size, look, and comfort of the vehicle. I grew up with a similar vehicle so it made me want one after I was on my own. It seats my family and still has room for groceries and travel gear. The price was good too. But the dash has had issues cracking. The dealer said we had to replace the entire dash and the company doesn't cover the cost. Other than that I'M happy with it

GMC Yukon Denali 84 Reviews (with Ratings) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 15, 2018

The overall experience of this car is amazing! My car is a few years old but I've only had minor car work done and the parts isn't outrageous like other models. I also love that it has a sunroof, leather seats, tv system, all of the seats are easy to get out, very roomy especially when you have toddlers and car seats, also heated seats and backup indicator. Not only did it have all of the main things I wanted in a car it is better made and the parts are a higher grade for not a lot of money. I am completely satisfied with my purchase for the price. I'm always informed about recalls, had more leg room in each row than 95% of the other SUVs we looked at. But no electric break control, lights has a film over it, has no touch screen radio, cheap stock breaks. Sometimes the main back seats if you lay them down they won't come back up. I hate the fact that the back windows doesn't go all the way down and can't be rolled up from the back.

Original review: June 13, 2018

This was not my first purchase for a GMC vehicle! My family loves the luxury and convenience of the 2007 GMC YUKON as well. Having two small children, and an SUV is a must! We have not had any major issues or stressful situations since our purchase in March of 2017! I love the room in the car the most! My girls are not cramped in the vehicle when we take long trips! We (Mom & Dad) also have plenty of space up front for the drive! We chose this model over others because the name GMC says dependable to our family! This make (AND model) has ALWAYS been reliable for our family’s needs! Our model came with a bench seat but I would improve the bucket seats, for the first row in the back seat. Also, I would prefer leather interior, as it's easier to keep clean with children than cloth material.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The 2016 GMC Yukon is a very reliable car. It's a great, easy purchase. It has plenty of room and lots of extras. But they ought to make the sunroof not leak. However, I have only had an issue with this one time after a tropical storm. This is the 2nd Yukon we have owned. The space and ease of traveling long distances with a large family was what made us decide to purchase another Yukon. And unless something changes we will continue to purchase Yukons. I was happy with the first one. But I really love this one. And have been extremely happy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GMC Yukon Denali?

Original review: May 9, 2018

2017 GMC Yukon Denali's tail gate drops down on you, "operating as designed". Solution, open then put key fob at least 5 feet to the side. Nice. Window goes up, but does not stay, waiting for service. Info screen, cruise, etc stopped working. Stopped, shut down and came back on. Transmission shifts real hard. No fix. 2017 only with 8 speed. Dropped and went to 10 speed 2018. That is the fix.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I paid $75K for my 2015 Yukon XL Denali brand new hoping it would be the vehicle I kept for many years. As with the others, my transmission is very rough particularly in the morning or first drive. Hasn't improved with top gasoline and multiple trips to the dealership. Passenger side moulding and roof rack blew off by 40,000 miles. Not under warranty. Replaced radiator at 60,000 miles. Extended warranty by GM covered this. Now replacing front struts at 60,000 miles, not under warranty or covered by GM. Air conditioning isn't working at 62,000 miles. Waiting on estimate for condenser replacement. This is the last GM vehicle for me ever. I'm so disappointed I didn't get what I paid for.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My husband purchased a new 2009 Yukon XL for me because he was in the hospital being treated for cancer and he didn't like me driving at night in my 1996 Suburban. I suspect he knew he would be going to Heaven. I use Service Dogs and they are large German Shepherds. I train them and I travel with them so I need the space. When I had the Suburban the dealership we purchased it from, covered all of the defective electric door locks, there were 6, as they knew it was a problem. They also replaced the whole 4 WD system when it seized so, I assumed GM at least stood behind their products.

While driving the 2008 Yukon XL which cost a little over $80,000.00, I have had 3 door locks fixed and I have 2, not working. I was on the highway with the heated seat warming my back, when it got too hot. I tried to turn it off but nothing happened. It just got hotter and hotter while I frantically looked for an exit so I could get out. I had to shut the truck off in order to stop the heat. Meanwhile I had a burn on my lower back about the size of a nickel. It took 18 weeks to heal because of the placement, a new scab was constantly rubbed off. I contacted GM and they told me to take it to a dealership. The dealership is about 52 miles away and since I am a widow, I would have to wait for the car to be repaired.

When I arrived I had water for my dog and a book to read while I waited. They contacted GM and I was told that GM wanted me to pay half of the repair which was about $450.00. Now I was far from home but ready to waste the day and they wanted $450.00 plus the $450.00 to repair the door lock. I went home.

One day I was in the pharmacy parking lot, facing the building and in front of me was a steel post, a side walk and the brick wall. There was a lady and her child on the side walk, I put the truck into reverse and even though I don't trust the back-up camera, it does help the large blind spot the rear that the side posts cause. I have become accustomed to waiting until I see a view behind me before taking my foot off of the brake. This day the truck went forward.

With GM's electrical issues, I double checked that even though I had a rear view in the camera, the car was actually in reverse. Thank goodness for that steel post which save the lady and her child from injury. I only had an injury to my PLASTIC bumper. I put it into Park and shut it off, maybe it would reset whatever issues were occurring today. When I turned it back on it went into reverse and I exited the parking lot but, at the exit I had to turn left, I put on the left turn indicator and the front wipers went on high. I can see how I could have accidentally hit the wiper switch so I tried to turn off the wipers but they stayed on. No, I was right. ANOTHER electrical issue.

It is 2018 and I have under 40,000 miles on the truck. It is well maintained and kept in a heated, air conditioned garage. I am a widow and I travel with a German Shepherd. I worry about breaking down or losing the air conditioning in Florida with that dog in the back. When I asked GM why after all of the door lock problems I had on my 1995 vehicle they hadn't figured out that they needed a new supplier for door locks. They said they aren't aware of any issues. They tell me what a wonderful vehicle it is and now it is so much lighter with all of the plastic that I would get better mileage. WOW, I get the same mileage exactly, that I got on my Suburban that had wonderful metal bumpers and a 4 wheel drive system, as I get on my lighter, plastic, 2WD vehicle.

Why do they treat people like we are idiots? Maybe we are to pay over $80,000 dollars for such a poorly made vehicle that they do not support. At least there is hope because FORD is now making an extended version of their SUV's. With only <40,000 miles, I was hoping to drive this truck several more years. Do you think GM could help me fix this? I have photos of the burn that my neighbor took as a witness. I really don't want to put the photos of the burn on the web but if you think it will help, I will locate it. Thank you.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Very disappointed with $77,000 Yukon XL Denali - I ordered my truck from the dealer in Sept '14 and it arrived in early April 2015. When I picked up truck from dealer (brand new), wheels were out of balance. Immediately, the infotainment system had problems. It didn't work well with iPhones and it would be easily confused. It was slow like an old computer trying to run new software. It just couldn't seem to handle the commands. There would be a delay of several seconds between pressing a button on screen and the action taking place.

Sometimes, the push-to-talk feature would take more than a minute from pressing the button to it being ready to receive a command. More than a few times the computer 'locked up'. The only solution is to pull over to the side of the road, shut off the truck, open the door (to kill the auxiliary power) and then close the door and start the truck up again... performing essentially, a "CTRL/ALT/Delete" for the truck. It was maddening.

Car magazines began lambasting GM for having produced the worst infotainment system in the industry (it was the same across all of GM's brands. Chevy, GMC, Cadillac because all the systems have essentially the same base system). Cruise control began disengaging by itself. At 865 miles there was a thunking in the driver side door. It turns out some wiring harnesses came loose and were hitting a window regulator. Also around this time, I noticed that the automatic transmission shift program didn't work well. In stop and go traffic. Say 5-10 miles per hour. After easing on the gas to move forward, when I'd take my foot off the gas to slow back down, the transmission would shift UP into 2nd gear and jerk the truck forward (exactly the opposite of what it should be doing). It was startling.

Even more startling was that GM said this was normal. It was very disconcerting at first. After 60,000 miles, it's no longer disconcerting. Just really annoying and a little dangerous. At 7,600 miles the truck went in for a Torque converter clutch recall. At 8,100 miles the black plastic pieces on the doors began to fall off. One by one, every one of them broke over the next 50,000 miles. Being out of warranty, I glued them back on with high-strength adhesive. Probably better than the flimsy GM factory clips, actually. At 14,915 miles the transfer case shift control module had to be reprogrammed. Around the same time, I started noticing a coolant smell around the outside of the truck (but didn't smell it inside). No one could find the problem.

17,596 miles: electronic brake inoperable message begins showing. 21,818 miles: turning steering wheel causes a squeak inside the cabin. Sounds like it's coming from the steering column. GM tries everything but can't get it to stop. Some on-line research reveals that a lot of people are experiencing this problem. It makes my $77,000 truck sound/feel like a cheap used piece of junk. And I hear it EVERY SINGLE day. 28,461 miles: rotors need to be resurfaced because they're causing brake pedal vibration. 30,575 miles: brakes still pulsating. Coolant keeps getting low. Hmm, smells like coolant outside the truck and the coolant is magically disappearing. Does anyone think there's maybe a leak?! Still, no one can find it.

Separate issue... service dept tech broke a wood trim piece on my center console. Now I have to bring it back to have that replaced. Ugggh. Also, now liftgate is squeaking, too. Solution? Apparently, apply a mad amount of silicone grease to the seals. Now anytime anything touches the seal, that thing (cargo, your clothes, etc.) gets covered in grease. Great solution. It still squeaks to this day (62,000 miles).

40,000 miles: rotors still pulsating. This has been a problem since 28,000 miles and even though truck is less than 2 years old, GM won't honor it under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. I'm furious. Now I pay out of pocket for new rotors. At roughly 50,000 miles, the rear power liftgate motorized piston failed. I don't have the receipt, but I think the part was roughly $180 and it was easy to replace myself once I found the correct part online. 62,316 miles: the A/C stopped working. Keep in mind that my truck is only 3 years old this month. Turns out there's a leak in the A/C condenser and it's going to cost nearly $900 to replace it because it's a $250 part and takes 7 hours of labor to do the work. It's a nice looking truck... and has some great features (it should for $77,000 before tax/title/etc! ), but it shouldn't have these kind of problems. I could not honestly recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Recently purchased a 2015 Yukon Denali. I should have read reviews first. This truck has been nothing but problems since day 1!!! The transmission, the radio screen glitches constantly, it sounds like the rear end is going to fall out, and the rear seats sound like they are not bolted down!!! What makes me mad is that the dealer keeps telling me we can't duplicate the problem!!! I have video of the radio screen glitching!!! This is ridiculous!! GMC and the dealership both have their heads up their butts... I'm going to take it in one more time. If they tell me about "duplicating the problem" again I get my lawyer involved because this is ridiculous! I got ripped off also purchasing this truck. I'm an idiot paying $54000 for a used truck with 44,000 miles on it!!!

Original review: March 15, 2018

I got my 2007 Yukon in 2016 and my run like a champ, never gives me any spark plugs, get cleaner every time the mechanic changes them... Oh and the 5th wheel runs outta gas everytime you change the radio. Also, I think I locked my keys in my visor who the can say that about themselves. I sure can! So last but not least my OnStar is on pipe. It's only speaking in Dutch now.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Bought a new 2017 Denali Pick-up. Duramax. On the way home (35 miles) truck shook so bad I couldn't drive over 50mph. I always take the junk new tires off and install new Michelins so that's what I did. Still has a Chevy Shake but no one at the dealers seem to care, they blame it on the Michelins. At first when decelerating the engine would begin tapping, exactly like a rocker arm coming loose, took it to the dealer and as expected they said it was normal. Also the shifting rpms were too high, causing me to drive around town at 1800rpm, but they said that was normal and there was nothing they could do. A couple months later I took it to Richie Cadillac/GMC where I bought it, I explained the same as I did with the first dealer, still no cure. Now the engine is still tapping but at times when driving normally not just deceleration.

If Ford did not have such an ugly front end this year I'd trade it off. 2 friends already got rid of their Duramax GMCs at very low miles due to the same issues I've had with this one. Maybe I'll go to Dodge, one thing for sure, I've owned 5 Duramax engines in Chevrolet and GMC and this will be my last. Whenever I'm asked about this truck, and I'm asked quite a bit due to it being such a beautiful truck, my answer is always, stay away from GMC and Chevy, absolutely the poorest service, and the biggest slug I've ever had... buy a Ford.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I own a 2015 GMC Yukon Denali and have taken this vehicle in several times for a transmission issue that the dealer cannot fix. I was told that we did a flash on the computer and within a 1k miles it comes right back with less than 40,000, miles on the odometer. This has been going on since owning the car. Transmission feels like it is going over a railroad track at very low speeds. GM needs to solve this with a proper fix. Possibly a new tune to the transmission or a replacement. Too many complaints and no action from GM!!! My only fix may be is to trade it in and purchase a new suv. Anything but a GM.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My brand new 2015 Denali was great for the first months then the fun was over. The right rear seat started rattling, brought it in and was never fixed. Next the ac was replaced, then radio screen started glitching (fixed that by reloading the software). Next the steering column was replaced, then the lift mechanism for the rear hatch was replaced. The GPS lost its signal, they fixed it; was told it was corrosion between the antenna and the vehicle body. Then the transmission, the fix was change the fluid 3 times and try it, broken again. Now it's not even 2 years old and the rear suspension is fully inflated and won't release, the vehicle rides like a 1 ton truck without a load and will not be covered because I'm over the 36k miles.

GM said it was the new Michelin tire; I had it checked by a 3rd party and it's the rear shocks. The GPS antenna failed again an rainwater running through the headliner (discovered while evacuating from Irma) and although it was previously repaired under warranty I was told $525 for the part plus labor. Filed a complaint with GM and 3 weeks later they said they'd cover the antenna. Said I'd have to pay to have the suspension evaluated. Last GM product for me; traded it for a Toyota Landcruiser.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My 2014 Yukon dashboard cracked near passenger airbag with only 39,000 miles. When I contacted GMC dealership where I purchased it they would not repair. They told me to try my extended warranty Total Care which I purchased thru GMC. I contacted Total Care and they would not cover it. They told me to get with my GMC dealership. I then contacted a GMC Senior Advisor. She advised me they could not cover because I had a extended warranty. She also lied to me and told me they were not aware of anyone complaining of cracked dashboards on GMC vehicles. Well this is the second one I own.

I had a Sierra which did the same in the same place. My son's dash cracked on his GMC Yukon Denali in the same place as my vehicles and there are thousands of customers on the internet complaining of crack dashboards on GMC vehicles. I am thinking about trading it off. I read a lot of GMC owners fix their crack dash and it cracks again a year later. I would like to warn people about this issue. It is also a safety hazard because it is next to the airbag area. So please think about this before purchasing a GMC because they want fix it if it cracks and think about the safety of you and a passenger if the airbag would go off.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

So my story is long but will try keep it on point. We purchased a 2015 Yukon XL Denali. We started having transmission issues much like many of the other stories on here. After 18 separate visits to the dealer, complaints to GM, we just traded it in on a 2016 one instead. Kind of wrote it off to being a lemon and not having the time to be bothered arguing with GM over and over about it. So should of been all fine. Except after about 4000 miles, it started again. Transmission seemed to get stuck in one gear and didn't want to accelerate from a stop. Back to the dealer again and of course they can never replicate the problem. But far worse than this, the adaptive cruise started to either not see things, or see things that weren't there. For example the Yukon accelerated hard despite the fact there was a dump truck ahead of me. I had to slam on the brakes and it was really scary actually.

So back to the dealer for three days. They replaced a module and a sensor. I was off on my way again on a road trip with my family. While traveling at 70mph on the highway in traffic, all of a sudden there was a bright red light in the heads up display and the truck slammed on the brakes hard. This cause an accident behind me that I was lucky to avoid. So off the freeway to the GM dealer. Unload my family into a base model minivan, for my 1200 mile road trip.

One week later I am back in town to pick up the Yukon. They again replaced a bunch of parts and said they had the same thing happen to them during a test drive. They said they had test drove it so I went on my way again. Less than twenty minutes later it did the same thing again. Accelerated towards a vehicle in front of it while adaptive cruise was set. So ok fine no cruise control. But within minutes it slammed on the brakes again for no reason and almost caused another accident. Back to GM again, and they didn't want to give me a loaner as they had already "fixed" it. So now I am fairly pissed off as it's obviously completely unsafe to drive it, but fine I rent myself another vehicle and leave it. Three days later they claim to be unable to replicate the issue. So I phone GM Canada and complain.

Long story short after three more visits to service, fourteen days of rentals that I had to pay for, and many calls to GM, the darn thing still was unsafe to drive in my opinion as it would still slam on the brakes for no reason on the highway. Oh yeah the transmission was still acting up but the safety issues had me forget about that minor issue. I did manage to resolve it all through in about one hour of my time. I drove to the Lexus dealer and took home a brand new Lexus GX. Problem solved and amazingly I have never needed anything other than an oil change since. Just to note I had previously purchased a brand new Yukon XL every other year faithfully from GM and never had any major issues with any of them. It's very frustrating to have a major issue with a vehicle and have the manufacturer basically refuse to deal with it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Ok after looking for a SUV for a year we decide to get a Yukon Denali... We finally found one that suited our needs at a dealership 40 mins away from where we live, and bought a used low mileage Denali Yukon... Bought it late one night. Drove fine in test drive and everything seemed ok. There was a minor scape and we brought it up at time of sale to ask for it to be fix or take the price down... Our request was completely ignored and we were give some made up excuse about it still being a new car, strike 1. We get home and realize the next day there's a chip in the windshield, strike 2. In the heat of a June summer in so cal we quickly learn the AC DOES NOT WORK strike 3. We then learn the back rear window makes a loud whining noise that's pretty obvious something is wrong.

So we call the dealership, they keep the car over night (after keeping me there for 5 hours), couldn't fix the AC problem at the time and we need to bring it back in when they get the replacement part. Ok 2nd time in we get the AC replacement part and the AC works for ONE DAY!!! They want me to bring the car back in (a fourth time for me to Drive the 40 mins to the dealership) I asked for them to pick up the car because I can't take off work for them to replace it yet again. Takes the dealership some back and forth run around, finally they agree to pick up my Yukon (like it was such an inconvenience for them). In the mean time while all this back and forth with the AC is going on. I'm trying to also contact the sales manager at Oxnard GMC to talk about how this car was clearly not ready for resale...

After multiple attempts we never got a call back from the sales manager... ok big red flag... In the meantime while flip flopping from service to (phantom) sales I'm keeping in contact with corporate GMC on this case. Corporate was helpful but not that helpful, apparently no one from sales would call them back either. So now we are with out the car we bought cuz it's in the shop and they finally agreed to a loaner NOT A RENTAL, thank you. But for a purchase of this amount we are extremely disappointed and inconvenienced. Never underestimate the amount you pay for a car because this was A LOT OF MONEY. I got ripped off by oxnard gmc and taken for a long run around by GMC... We are now filing for a lemon and I hope this gets resolved. If it does I will update this review.

But as of right now I've wasted time and money, time in which I cannot get back we're pissed and work hard for a living and this is been handle like we bought a 100 dollar used bicycle... OH AND WE LEARNED THAT THE AC IS AN ISSUE OUT OF 30000 other people with AC issue for GMC. WHY DID YOU SELL US A CAR WHEN YOU CLEARLY KNEW THE AC WAS DYSFUNCTIONAL!!!

Original review: July 24, 2017

2015 Yukon Denali - Had to have the transmission replaced within the first 10k miles. Front and rear shocks and struts replaced at 40k. Have paneling coming off on the outside of car on the door. The steering wheel has been making clicking popping noises which the service workers said "they could not duplicate". At 40k plus now there is no way not to duplicate it happens all the time. Loud and obnoxious. Car rides rough with a lot of noise. Will not own another GMC vehicle.

Original review: July 22, 2017

If I could start with zero stars I would. My journey begins back in August of 2016 when I purchased a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali fully Loaded!! From Motor City Buick GMC of Bakersfield CA. My Purchase price 89,658.17 with 34 miles on the vehicle. A very short time after bringing the car home we begin to notice that when coming to a rolling stop the truck would start to jerking... Then when at a complete stop it would hesitate to drive. Going over speed bumps it sounds as if the shocks are worn out. So by this time we have about 5k miles on this vehicle. I call in to my local dealership. They check it out and said they can't duplicate the problem... so I bring it back home. The vehicle is still doing it! My rear tv shorts out. My kids were not happy!! I take it back in. They replaced it along with the few recalls it had. I pick it up and a short time later the rear AC gives out so now we are in triple digits and no AC. My kids are cooking in the 3rd row!!

Took it in and they couldn't duplicate the issue so I took it back home and come to find when it sits in the heat the AC shuts down so it finally blows out completely! Back to the dealership it goes. They fix that problem and 2 weeks later the Rear AC blows out again!! Took it back in. They replace a fuse box orders of GM and that also didn't work!! So here we are no AC and we take our Vehicle on a family vacation with 5 children in my back seats and as we are driving up the mountain the door locks start to malfunction and our console along with it. My kids are freaking out. I'm trying to stay calm as I look to my husband for reassurance that our vehicle is not going to fall over the cliff. When we got to a safe pull out section we did he put it in park. The car wouldn't let me out so to the door locks kept malfunctioning!!! I have made a case with GM Motors and they have done nothing. They have given me the run around!!

Don't get me wrong the vehicle on the outside is beautiful. The inside is lovely but the reliability of the vehicle and the safety of our family is not worth it!! Please please don't buy GM!! My car is sitting at the dealership as of right now. Only has 15,000 miles on the vehicle and they just can't figure it out. I asked for a rental car through GM. They Said They Can't!! So here I am making a 1,051.31 payment for a car that I can't even drive and still have to pay out of my pocket for a rental car!! I owned a 2008 Jeep Commander before this problem and Chrysler would put me in a rental just for a recall part!!! Come on GM. Shame on you!! I bought my 2016 GMC Yukon Denali in good faith!!! And this is what GM Does not only to me but everyone here who has purchased from your company!! Very disappointed. I will never own another GM vehicle Again!!!

Original review: July 21, 2017

This car handles well in town and is exceptional on the highway. It fits my needs for passengers, cargo and hauling. It is lovely to look at inside and out. However, my 2015 Yukon Xl Denali is now in the shop for the second time in 2017. The air conditioner condenser has gone out and my car is one of 30,000 vehicles that need this same part right now. I have been waiting 4 weeks and do not have the use of my vehicle because I live in Yuma, Arizona where temperatures the last 3 weeks have been above 115. There is no replacement part in sight.

Earlier this year a battery cable malfunction left me without this very costly car for another 4 weeks because parts were not available. First, why is a relatively new car having these types of parts failure; and second, why are there no parts available? Keeps me wondering what system or part will fail next and how long will the next wait for parts be? A quick look into local used car lots shows lots of this type of GM SUV (Suburbans, Tahoes, etc.) for sale. I must not be the only one experiencing unreliability.

Original review: July 11, 2017

My GMC Yukon Denali has been in the shop four times for electrical problems! And none can tell me what the problem is! Now been in the shop for 2 months! Still no answers. My 2016 GMC Yukon is a lemon.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I have a 2007 Yukon XL with 44,000 miles. I inherited the vehicle when my Brother-in-law passed last year. He purchased it new and took exceptional care of it. Two days ago the check engine light came on along with two additional warnings (Service Traction Control & Service Stabilitrak). After having it towed to the dealer I'm told that there is a (Collapsed Lifter in Cylinder Seven). When asked how that happens with an engine with low miles and has been well maintained, the answer I received sounded very much like the engine failed because the truck wasn't driven enough. That doesn't make much sense when modern cars are being driven up to and over 200K miles. I believe this is due to a defect in materials or workmanship not from lack of driving. The dealer quotes $4K to rebuild the engine. GMC needs to take responsibility and correct this issue. This is the engine that automatically selects the number of cylinders to use during operation.

Resolution response: May 26, 2017

After some discussion, we have reached an agreement with GM. They have offered to replace the vehicle and we have agreed to pay an amount to upgrade the year. We are satisfied with this result. My advice to GM is to talk directly to the customer earlier in the process, as communicating through the dealer can be irritating. Not due to anything about the dealership, but simply because communicating via a third person is a pain. Customers are usually happier when they get to speak directly with the person making the decision. Because GM correctly resolved the issue I've updated the rating, which would have been a 5, but gets reduced to a 4 because of the effort it took to get this resolved.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Purchased a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali, fully loaded, in November 2016. Immediately started having electronic issues and system failures. After multiple attempts had to resort to sending GMC the Alabama Lemon Law certified letter. They made their final repair attempt and said they couldn't fix the vehicle. So, under Alabama law we get to choose between them buying the vehicle back or replacing the vehicle. We decided to replace the vehicle, and were willing to pay any difference in sticker price between the two vehicles. GMC now says they'll not comply with the Lemon Law, but they'll replace the vehicle in "good faith". To GMC "good faith" means we'll stick it to you because we're a big corporation and we can.

They offered to "let" us pay only $2200 to replace the vehicle. I was told they were not "doing the Lemon Law thing" and that I could "go that route" if I wanted. Clearly meaning they would make me sue them in order to force them to comply with the law. Apparently, GMC thinks it's above the law. I'm sure GMC figures most consumers will cave in and pay the $2K rather than file a lawsuit. However, I'm a license attorney in Alabama so that won't be happening in my case. It's just really sad that GMC has decided to treat its customers with such disdain. I imagine there are numerous other GMC customers who've gotten a similar lemon of a vehicle, only to be shafted by GMC as a jester of their "good faith".

Original review: May 1, 2017

I bought a 2016 Yukon Denali brand new off the lot from Diepholz in Paris Illinois. Out of all the dealerships closer to me this is where I found the best price on the exact vehicle I wanted. My job consists of me traveling depending on what project I am overseeing for Marathon Petroleum. My dad is a used car dealer and swears by GM vehicles. It's all I have ever drove starting with my first vehicle. I have owned 97 Pontiac Firebird, 07 Pontiac G6 GTP, 07 Cadillac CTS, 06 Pontiac Torrent. As you can see I have driven the very low end of vehicles except for the Cadillac CTS which I have nothing good to say about it either. At 110,000 miles the timing chain bridge completely broke and center carrier bearing went out requiring the whole driveshaft to be replaced which wasn't under warranty. Other than that I haven't had one single problem with any of my cheap used vehicles by GM.

So on my very first brand new vehicle from a dealership I am very very dissatisfied with my purchase! Just a month after taking it off the lot it started rattling in the exhaust. Being optimistic and not wanting to be a complainer I thought I would see if it would go away, well it did not. So while on a business trip to Memphis Tennessee I was due for an oil change and so I found closest dealership Hatcher Chevrolet Buick GMC in Brownsville Tennessee and scheduled an oil change and asked them to look into the noise. They informed me there was a problem occurring in GM's exhausts and said they would replace the whole exhaust. After waiting at the dealership for four hours it was "fixed" and I headed back up to Illinois. Well on the three hundred and some mile at interstate it started making the noise again. I was not happy. But again I work and didn't have time to take off again for the issue.

After driving it for a few more months the noise has literally been driving me insane so thinking maybe since I am a female my husband will have better luck. He took it into JK Mitchell in Casey Illinois, my hometown on his day off and had them drive it. Well they said they could not hear anything. I have multiple people in my vehicle very often due to work and they can hear it and supposedly this person could not. So I took it to my dad who has been a mechanic and used car dealer for forty years, who is also 65 years old and half deaf and he could hear it! But since he isn't certified and it's under warranty he will not touch it and says I just need to keep taking it in until it's fixed.

Then I hit a deer and had to have my front bumper replaced and when they were driving and checking out my car at a certified body shop they noticed the sound and asked if it was there before the deer. I said yes and since it wasn't due to the deer they did look into it but said I should have it looked at. Now, I am on my third dealership and going to have them take a look at it tomorrow. If they don't find the issue or fix it I'm literally to the point I don't care if I take a loss. I do not want to drive a $70,000 vehicle that sounds like a pile of junk. I'm going to get rid of the damn thing and go buy a Ford! When I spend that much money on a vehicle I expect a certain quality and I am NOT getting it.

I have driven the low end of the low and have driven the high end Maserati, Audi, Mercedes and due to my Father's suggestion of sticking with GM and not going for the foreign luxury cars, that GMs are better and easier to maintenance and more affordable maintenance and has owned multiple for the past forty years, I bought the Yukon Denali. I love the interior except for the fact the coco shale leather absorbs the dye from jeans so I guess don't wear blue jeans in the vehicle cause my seats are already blue. I was told to put seat covers on, which is absolutely ridiculous to have to spend more money on seat covers to cover leather that I already paid more money for. It has the nice luxurious feel when just sitting in it but once I start driving I feel like I am in my 2006 Pontiac Torrent that cost me $5000!

Overall the only reason I am still driving this thing is because I love the look, the inside design and I spent a boat load of money on it! If I had bought this used and had these problems and it wasn't under warranty it would be gone and I would no longer be a GM supporter. I am absolutely infuriated with this vehicle, like I said I spent a lot of money on it expecting the quality and luxury of having a new vehicle and honestly I have had more trouble with it than any used vehicle I have owned other than the Cadillac CTS which was also a big disappointment and why I didn't buy another Cadillac. Now I am literally to the point I won't buy another GM.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I have recently bought a 2001 Yukon Denali AWD and it is just a complete mess, electrically! Everything is going hay wire and is randomly wacky! Dashboard cluster, windows, rear wiper, dvd player, door locks, a/c, mirrors, puddle lights just about every single electrical component is acting crazy. Electrical components that were already replaced with new ones are still working off and on randomly. I tried telling the mechanic it's a deeper rooted issue within the wiring/grounds etc but he doesn't seem to listen to me.

Most recently my vehicle broke down completely. I had already been driving about 5 miles when I was stopped at a stop sign. I went to take off to cross the intersection. The vehicle made it about a quarter of the way out into the intersection when it decided to stop, I remember some noise but can't exactly describe the initial noise. I just remember one specific noise that came after. I immediately tried to put it in park and restart the vehicle thinking it just stalled out. After restarting it, I then tried shifting from park to drive again and this was the noise I remember... an extremely loud and awful spinning and or grinding noise. Sounded like broken spinning gears or something? Anyways, it would sit running without this noise but as soon as you shifted into any gear other than park it would make the awful noise. It would not go anywhere either.

Had it towed to a repair shop, mechanic says the transmission went in it and is rebuilding the transmission. Charging $2,100 for a transmission rebuild. All of the electrical issues still exsist. Needing help and trying to figure out these weird electrical "gremlins"! This is ridiculous!!! Had I known to look up this specific SUV's common electrical issues I wouldn't have even considered buying it!!! You couldn't pay me to deal with this bs all over again!!

Original review: March 29, 2017

The 8 speed transmission shift poorly at low speed/power and at time shifting is very rough. Thankfully no failures... 6.2 engine gets great road mileage. Electronic compass has failed several times, antenna along with modules have been replaced at least three time, compass still does not work. No I have a call into GMC customer service and tech div. It appears they have no idea what's going on or they really do not want to back their products that are faulty. Waiting to hear back from GMC Tech Div!! I hear there are numerous owner complaints on the 8 speed transmission... Once I no longer have a boat to pull, I most likely will not buy another GM product.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Thank you to all who have posted comments in regards to the new GMC Yukons. We purchased a 2004 Denali and were wanting to replace it as it has 215000 plus miles. After reading the poor reviews, we will not be purchasing another GMC. After reading all the complaints, I did not see anyone mention Lemon Law. I live in the State of Washington which has such a law. For those of you who live in a different state, check with you attorney General to see if you have a similar law. I believe most of your issues and concerns would qualify under the lemon law. I am not an Attorney, just speaking from my knowledge of filing a claim under the lemon law. I hope this helps as I don't believe you should spend that kind of money for a LEMON.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

To start with why can't I give 0 stars! In 2014 I bought a 53000 dollar truck from Carl Black in Roswell GA. After a few weeks I started noticing some strange electronic glitches in shifting, 4 wheel drive, transfer case, and steering loosening communication with ecm. This would be displayed by the truck on the diagnostic screen just for a second. You can only see it if you happen to look down right when the truck loses control of the steering. The first time I towed the truck in for this GM dealer reset the truck and all started working again except engine light was on. The guy said they were closing, had no rental trucks and to come back. So I did and they said the truck had no codes and basically said I was lying.

After a few days while pulling out in traffic the truck acted like I was pulling a huge Taylor barely going from a stop but then as you go faster would get better. Found out it was getting stuck it 5 gear so after 8 rental cars, 5 towings this stuff happening all the time. Very long story over 30 days in the shop I finally called the consumer protection agency. Now called something else. Turns out the lady who arbitrated the case did not know a thing about vehicles and was convened by their slick lawyers and auto experts they sent from New York to smash me, that trucks did not have to have power steering since some don't come with it. Every one knows if it comes with power steering it won't steer without it!!! She was in on the scam! You have to see to believe what she actually wrote on the judgment mailed to me. She said, "loss of steering does not constitute a breach of warranty and does not lower the value, safety or use of the vehicle".

WOW how could anyone say, write or read that with a straight face. So now contacted a lemon lawyer. He said he worked for GM for 30 years. Now works for the consumer. Sounded great but if you think like I do now not so great if he worked for them 30 years. Then they are all friends and that is now what I know to be the case. This lawyer dragged this out another 2 years while the truck sits in my driveway. 700 dollars a month and my wife and kids and all my neighbors and friends talk about this all the time. When is GM going to fix the piece of crap. Will this lawyer turns out when I freak out and want this scheduled for court. He tries to talk me into settling for 10000 pay off and keeps trying to get me to just sell it. He was all on my side until I found out he is just stalling just like GM. They all make money working on this. Why would they want to pay me back my 53000 when that is their job. They only make money if they are working on cases and they drag them out till you give up.

My lemon lawyer online must benefit from talking me into taking a small payoff and keeping the truck. He tells me they won't ever pay me and if I go to court I will lose and have to pay their attorneys fees around 60,000. Today he said to take 5000 and sell the truck to Carmax. I said the person who buys it could die or hit him head on and he laughed and said who cares. That I would not know them. That it did not matter and I should not care what happens because I would not be liable!!

This is the biggest crap. I can't find anyone to help. I tried calling Fox 5 and Clark Howard. No return calls. I just don't see how this can happen. We have lemon laws and rights. How can a company sell you a huge product that is dangerous for you and everyone around you and not have to at least give your money back. They have tried and tried to fix it. There is so much more that happened. The more I write the more I remember this to the cliff notes and I'm not fixing my spelling. They will probably try to sue me for telling anyone about this.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

2016 GMC Yukon XL. Awful vehicle. Terribly unrefined driving dynamics. Loud buffeting sounds from inside the cabin. Poor poor quality. A transmission that is simply infuriating with inexplicable shifting that DESTROYS the drivability of the truck. Such a step backward from previous GMC vehicles. The wheels, tires, drivetrain, electronics all were either replaced or serviced repeatedly to address vibrations, noise, or failure. Dealer service is equally disappointing with little to no acknowledgment of the issues and complete unwillingness to address the problems in a meaningful way offering only band aid solutions. I'd always planned on buying GM including a Corvette once the kids are all off to school but this has soured me on GM and their dealers entirely. Never never never will I purchase a GM vehicle again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I have experienced transmission "clunks" for years on my 2007 Yukon XL. I had it checked regularly & flushed once a year to baby along. At 118,000 miles the radiator went out exchanging fluids between the transmission & radiator. Our friend & mechanic advised not something he sees often in GMC's as it's more a problem with Toyota's. All the same, this long term problem with the transmission was a factor that played in to both systems failing. Keep a close eye on the radiator if you are experiencing transmission glitches. The transmission clunks will also over time wear out the motor mounts. I had to replace the motor mounts within the last year costing over $1k in repairs as many systems have to be undone to get to the mounts. This is my second GMC Yukon XL Denali. They look great and have nice, comfortable interiors but buyers beware. I had every intention of buying another but I am now shopping for an alternative.

GMC Yukon Denali Company Information