2.13/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

761 Chevrolet Silverado Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4 with All Star package. I never had remorse for buying this truck. I saved for years to buy a truck and drove beaters till I saved enough. I wanted this truck when it hit the market and I had enough saved so I got one. I have a bad shake above 65-70 mph that was not apparent during my test drive where highway driving was done and wasn't noticed till I went on a 65 mph highway trying to do 70 mph after purchase. 98% of highways are 55 mph around here. When I have to travel the faster highways here, some days 65 is all I can get and some it will be fine up to 70 and then it can get rather violent. If I have a beverage that is open top like a can, it will spill all over the place at 70 mph if left in cup holder. If 70 mph is what all the traffic is travelling, I can just barely keep up some days and others I seem to be a nuisance to others switching lanes getting around me in slow lane.

I have replaced some items on my own since the dealer states my truck is normal. What a slap in the face huh? I have replaced the wheels, tires and shocks. I have balance beads for a 2500 in my tires now and that has helped. The 2-1 downshift and bump is not gas in tank. It is the transmission downshifting timing being off for the intended stop. Happens a lot in parking lots to me more so than red lights. Feels like I got tapped in rear just before stopping. For the affected, go do it with an almost empty tank on fumes and see how it still happens. When I replaced tires I went with a 33" and air pressure should be higher than door jamb pressure so that's something to consider. Low air pressure in tires was an issue I had since shop used jamb PSI for my tires and it caused a shake of its own, but I figured that out and it got me back to where I was which is no further than before.

Those of you with newer trucks should get a Range device. It keeps truck in V8 with no ill effect or warranty issue since no reprogramming is involved. Just unplug and everything is back to stock. Keeping V4 from happening will likely keep the valve failures at bay and install a catch can cause these 2014+ Silverado trucks are direct injected meaning gas doesn't wash the valves like most detergent gas is advertised to do. The PCV system feeds vapors back to the intake and cokes the valves cause no gas is washing them off. The catch can catches the vapors and they condense into liquid and stay out of intake keeping it cleaner for longer.

Requires periodic dumping, but valves stay cleaner longer. One may fight and say I shouldn't have to do that and I will agree, but not doing it is worse. Those hearing the tick tick tick are hearing the fuel pump. DI fuel pumps run at higher pressures and are noisy. I have tuned mine and made it better and easier to live with. Approx $4k to still have the same shake. This is the first GM truck I have owned. I won't buy another.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Purchased two brand new Silverados in August 2016: one is great - But the High Country has had the motor replaced at 100,000 km after numerous arguments with dealership and "unfortunate" road experiences... now, after 125,000 km injectors need replacement, wire- corrosion needs replacement!! Vehicle motor shuts down while driving in the road. I paid $70,000 for this vehicle and GM won't warranty these replacements! After 40 years of solid GM loyalty I am letting this "Lemon" go, and moving to another manufacturer - one which can produce with reliability and with some business ethics. BUYERS BEWARE!!! Zero concern from GM about your safety or your pocketbook!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Bought the 2009 Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8 truck 7 months ago with 88000 miles on it. Purchased a 6 month warranty from dealer. Lo and behold this week the truck started missing and knocking with a cylinder 1 misfire code. Took to shop, failed lifter in number 1 cylinder due to faulty DOD. Getting a new engine to the tune of 7000 dollars. Chevy knows about this issue and it's well documented. Truck only has 95000 miles on it and the needs a new engine. Never again Chevy.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 back in November of 2017. 3 months ago I’ve noticed my truck run rich on fuel. Seems like it’s lost some power. Also when truck goes into Econ 4 it loses power bad. Like if it’s real heavy Idk. Anybody with the same issue or can give me an advice on what to do? Any advice would really help.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I love 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD crew cab long box truck. I have 135,125 miles 1 trip to dealer for oxygen sensor and 1 glow plug at 92725 miles. Great MPG on trips and local. Pulls anything and wife likes to ride in it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Original review: May 2, 2018

So shocked! BUYER BEWARE. I PURCHASED A NEW 2017 SILVERADO and when I come to a stop the gas slushes so bad that at times it sounds like I am being bumped from behind by another vehicle. I took the truck back- the service manager said, "So sorry- NOTHING can be done because there is no recall." He gave me a print out that states the 2016, 2017 and NOW THE 2018s. So BUYER BEWARE… GM KNOWS they are selling a vehicle that has a defect… This is wrong and very very deceptive. It is a 34 gallon tank and the first 17 GALLONS make the thumping noise… No more GM for me. Dealerships should be held accountable to make this known to the buyer BEFORE SELLING IT.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2016 Chevy Silverado - lack of power and 5.3 engine has fuel management system that goes from 8 cyl. To 4 automatically. Any time it is in 4 cyl. Mode It vibrates and transmission shudders. I brought back to dealership 4 times and they keep telling me that's the way it was designed. Contacted GM and were useless. Told me to take it to dealership and they would have someone there, never happened. Very unhappy. GM customer service was terrible.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Owned Chevy Silverado truck over 6 years and I change the oil every 3000 miles with synthetic. No issues whatsoever. The truck is a beast and Chevy is the way to go. Looking to buy another.

Original review: April 27, 2018

This pickup, Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton pickup, is a working truck that is all steel, long bed and is a 1998! Would not trade it for any of the new garbage on the market today! It's AWESOME!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

The Chevy Silverado does all that is expected. Great mileage for a truck and NEVER a repair. Best vehicle I have ever had in 45 years, will not consider others after having 2 of them (18 years).

Original review: April 18, 2018

Chevrolet Silverado 2011, still running strong. Great motor, 5.3 liter, positive traction rear end, smooth riding, well built, decent mileage, and pulls my trailers with no problems.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have over 100,000 miles on my Chevy Silverado and it is running perfectly. I have always kept up on the routine maintenance and oil changes. Great truck and I would buy another Silverado in the future!

Original review: April 16, 2018

In January of 2016 I traded my 2013 Chevy Silverado that had 106,000 on it for a brand new, 8 miles on it 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 all star addition with a 5.3L. As of 4/16/18 it has 87,000 on it. It has been a wonderful machine. It's a everyday work truck/daily driver. Haul equipment and going to see customers. Keep the truck looking excellent and had maintenance performed per what the book says. The only problem I keep having to this day is that the trailer plug and brake control don't always seem to connect with each other at times. Sometimes the lights work and no brakes or the other way around. I know it is not the trailer because on my old trailer had the electrical system gone through and also just got a new EBY car hauler and am still having the same problem.

No corrosion either. I have had the brake control module replaced once and that fixed it for a while and then it came back. But other than that it has been great. Averages 18.6 not towing a trailer on the highway with cruise set on 77 and around 15 in the city. It has a tonneau cover so that helps a little. Love the look the front end has. Wasn't a fan of the 15. Happy they changed it to what they have now. Rides great and is ready to work or crawl through a field whenever needed. Probably going to keep it until it strikes the 100,000 mark and then trade it. Used to be a Dodge and Ford guy but went out on a limb and bought an 05 GMC 1500 and have been GM guy ever since with a 07 Silverado, 11, 13, then this one. I run them all until around 100,000. Looking forward to seeing the 19 and all of the changes!

Original review: April 3, 2018

My 2016 Silverado has this Chevy shake. Where the whole cabin just vibrates like crazy around 65-75, brought it to my dealer and all they said it needed to be balanced. Doors won't unlock at random times. Battery leaving me stranded. When I took it to my dealer they said it was the alternator. And random noises when on the freeway and over bumps. Like REALLY! Truck is almost Brand new to have so many issues. And be paying 150 bucks for every diagnosis they perform. I'm done with Chevrolet for good.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Took my 2011 Silverado truck in for repairs for the second time in 2 years for same problem. #1 spark plug bad which they said was caused by excessive oil. Just had oil changed. I was told to drive truck when I get it back for oil consumption, that way they can contact GM about problem. Truck has only 73,000 miles and is in great shape. I will not buy another Chevy pick up again. The dash cracked under warranty and when I went to pick it up they had broke the windshield and I needed it replaced. Just got the phone call from dealer. I need to redo pistons and rings on truck and GM will not help in any way. That sealed the deal on why I will not buy another GM product.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I bought my 2017 Silverado in May. Utterly been a giant P.O.S. Severe shutter in transmission. Replaced torque converter... Then TCM. Still has a shutter/misfire feeling under load or cruising only in v8 mode. They said it was the gas. Changed gas stations. Went 8 different gas stations and 2200 miles... Still has misfire feeling dropped back off. 8 days later they said motor mounts was the cause. Wrong again. They did a tune up. Wrong again. WHAT'S NEXT. 6889 current miles. This truck gets TERRIBLE fuel mileage. Averages 10.3 mpg. If you tow something as simple as a 4wheeler it's even worse. They said it was buyer's remorse. Note I work for this dealership as a mechanic. Told boss keys are in it. He can drive it. Wish I kept my 245000 mile 05 F150. At least I knew that was worn out. If this is the best they got... Chevy is in trouble.

Original review: March 12, 2018

2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 52,976 miles. I am original owner and vehicle is well cared for. Had gas odor and dripping, as well as hesitation in starting. Vehicle was taken to and serviced at Whiteman Chevrolet in Glens Falls, NY. Their diagnosis was fuel pump rotted and leaking, and fittings rotted into plastic lines. They replaced fuel pump, lock ring, level sensor, and both lines off fuel pump. Total cost was $1318.11. When questioned how this could happen on a well cared for newish vehicle, their answer was corrosion from weather and road salt. I filed a complaint with GM Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. They assigned a case number and advisor to investigate.

Case Advisor Deanndra contacted me stating her findings were exactly that of Whiteman Chevy Service Center. She stated all the parts had been corroded from the road salt in my area. She stated, as did Whiteman Chevy Service Center, there are no other complaints of this nature on file. Nothing can be done until there are enough complaints on record to indicate this being a problem. GM Chevrolet has closed the case with no resolution in my favor. Disgusted with Whiteman Chevrolet, Glens Falls, NY and GM Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. Disappointed with this GM Chevrolet product.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I bought a Chevy Silverado 2013 and it's been a nightmare. First the door handle on right side broke. I find out it’s cheap plastic. After that the left side molding comes off and the right side molding is about to come off too. Unbelievable!?? Then the plastic knobs for my AC are fading. I will never buy a Chevy truck ever again. What a disappointment???

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I have owned this truck for over 10 years. I am very disappointed in the brakes. I have had to replace all the brake line from rust. The master cylinder has been replaced and the truck still does not stop. I hit a car and now my wife will not drive it. It is very unsafe. You can't get the anti-lock brakes to kick in. The truck keeps rolling. It is very scary feeling not being able to stop. The last time I hit the brakes hard the stuff in the back seat stayed on the seat and did not hit the floor. Please fix the brakes.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

DO NOT BUY 2017 CHEVY SILVERADO DIESEL. GM has the worst customer service I have ever seen. The engine has been replaced in my truck after a few thousand miles. Then they say “just keep driving it.” They want the warranty to expire. They never have a loaner vehicle. They have reprogrammed the truck & transmission 4-5 times now. It still shifts really hard. It loses power now under a light load, I have had the mirrors replaced because of condensation, the turbo has went out, the truck pulls hard left & it wasn’t ever duplicated until 30,000 miles & now they are blaming the tires. It’s a total joke dealing with this company. My truck has been in the shop for over 45 days & no one seems to care. My 4 wheel drive has quit working, the gauges I’m told are indicators & I should disregard them unless a light is also on.

GM Engineers diagnosing my truck over the phone is so stupid I can’t even go there. The service department has lied on 5-6 issues. They did not replace the entire engine. It was just a long block, which is fine except the fact they lied about it. I could write a book. You won’t get anywhere without an attorney & thousands of dollars in court costs. Cut your losses. You won’t get anywhere with GM, this has been going on for 6 months now. Keep having the same issues. Bottom line is they lack in the customer service department. It’s pathetic you spend $65,000 on a new truck that operates like a used one.

The truck burns oil & they say that the residue around the hydro boost is normal. Adding oil is normal? The ticking in the engine is normal, oil pressure going from 120 to 20 & bouncing around like crazy is normal, transmission problems are normal, so they are basically saying they have corrected the issues or they are normal. The truck did not operate like this when I drove it off the lot, it started about 1500-3000 miles. I have yet to talk to anyone about resolving my dissatisfaction. No one cares. I’m telling you if you’re looking into buying a vehicle from GM you might want to think twice. It’s such a stressful process.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have A 2017 Chevy Silverado 6.2 L with 9000 miles on it, my truck seems to hesitate at various speeds, almost like it’s confused. It tends to lose power, hesitate, then kick in while accelerating from a rolling stop or when I’m aggressive on the gas pedal, all within a sec or 2. I’m also hearing a ticking sound from the engine when accelerating, and a loud clunk when I come to a stop. I was told the loud clunk could be the fuel in the fuel tank, the ticking could be a loud fuel pump, because of the night pressure it runs at, and they could not recreate the hesitation. Not happy with the service from Chevy.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have a 2014 Silverado High Country. 2 1/2 weeks ago my engine failed on my way to work. It came up as P0300 error code. Now I am finding out there is a bulletin with GM/Chevy bulletin 15-06-01-002E. I was very lucky to not be in a major accident due to this. I have asked 2 questions of GM/Chevy and have not gotten answers. I wanted to know what this will do to trade in value, and I want to get an extended warranty on this engine. Neither have been answered. They replaced the Lifters, the manifold and gaskets. The Cylinder 7 fuel lifter had failed. I keep getting the run around. I have 77,000 miles on this vehicle and am VERY concerned that this engine will fail again and I will be stuck with a very expensive bill. I have a person at work with the same exact vehicle that I have found out had the same exact problem. So unhappy with this company right now, and I have been a loyal Chevy customer.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Leased a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado from 112 Chevrolet. Truck rode very smooth until February 2017 around 11,000 miles. All of a sudden I started to feel a vibration along with a rough ride. Felt every little bump in the rode. Took into 112 Chevrolet and they told me about a recall that they will do and check out the truck. They had it all day and when I called they told me there is nothing wrong. Operating as designed.

When I picked it up nobody around except the cashier. I contacted the service department and spoke with the advisor Steve who told me that there is nothing to fix unless something is making a noise or broken shock etc. They are not going to just start taking things apart because GM is not going to reimburse them. I am going to have to contact GM. Which I did contact the Vice President via email. Cree from executive office told me she would look into it.

Several days past contact me with a contact number at 112 Chevrolet. Went to voice mail. Left message to no avail. Contacted the service manager at 112 and was told to bring truck in and they will have a service tech take it for a ride with me. Long story short he gave me every excuse under the sun from the roads are bad to maybe it is broken, to his friend has a 100,000 dollar BMW and he feels the bumps in it. We go back to the dealer and he is going to have a senior tech take it for a ride. They all have the same answer. It is operating as designed. Not happy.

I contact Fran the service manager a couple day later and the area service manager is going to take it for a ride but she has no idea when he is coming. Leave the truck all day. He takes it for a ride I think. Guess what? Operating as designed. I said it is not operating as designed because it did not ride that way for the 1st 11,000 miles.

Back to the email to GM executive office who tells me to go to a different dealer. So we have a three way conference call that Cree set up with Atlantic Chevrolet and the woman must have not known that Cree was on the line because she rip me a new one about switching dealership, that I have to go back to the original dealer. I told her that, "GM set this up not me," at which point Cree jumped in and the nasty little woman was still nasty. "Fine. I will make you an appointment."

When she hung up I told Cree this how they handle customers. I did not go to that dealership. I went to Smithtown Chevrolet who did the service maintenance required and told me it rides like every other Silverado. I asked very nicely to drive with the service tech which I did. Took him on a road with bumps and he was like woah something is not right... setup to have the Front struts and rear shocks replaced. Left truck to be fixed and was provided a loaner car. Yes finally something is being done. Picked it up driving home and the truck is still doing the same thing. Now I am totally at wits end. Driving a $40,000.00 something truck that still is not right.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I purchased a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab in Feb 2017. From the beginning the engine has had a hesitation at different speeds. The truck has been serviced at the dealership since it was purchased. After complaining several times, I mentioned the issue is all over the internet to the dealer. They then "FOUND" a service bulletin regarding the hesitation. If you complain, they put the truck through some test and if it falls into a certain area, they recommend a transmission fluid flush. Research on the internet shows this doesn't work. This is the 8 cylinder 5.3 engine. Would stay away from the Chevy Silverado.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have been in the dealership 4 times because of issues ranging from drivers mirror not opening completely, glow plug went bad, random engine light and they reset my ECM and now it won't start. My vehicle only has 15,000 miles on it. WTH!!! I am LIVID!!! I will never buy another 2500 Chevy Silverado midnight edition with diesel!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I bought the 2009 Chevy Silverado crew 4x4 5.3L new in 2009 from Quirk Chevrolet. I have changed the oil between 3,000 and 4,0000 since new. The truck has 70,600 miles and needs a $4500.00 Camshaft and Lifter replacement. The truck also needed both lower ball joints replaced this summer. No more Chevys for me. I would recommend staying away from them in the future for anyone else. I contacted the corporate office and mentioned that they have had a known problem for years according to the internet. They said that because my warranty is expired. That there is nothing they can do. It's not uncommon in today's world to have engines go over 250,000 miles. I drove this like granny would and I need a new Camshaft??? Really!!! My advice buy something else besides Chevrolet!!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I bought my 2015 Ram Sport Hemi with 17,000 miles. I bought it this past Feb and have had problems from day 1. First the ECO system is a pain in the butt, it causes the engine to run rough and sounds terrible when going from the 4cyls to 8cyls during acceleration. The transmission has failed to shift out of 1st gear 3 times. The transmission bangs when stopping between 1st and 2nd gear (not all the time). Sitting at a light I thought someone slammed into the back of me but it was the transmission surging forward. If I had not had my foot on the brake firmly I would have hit the car in front of me. Of course I take it to 2 different dealers and they both say the same thing, either they can't duplicate or it's NORMAL, comes from the factory that way. What's the deal, they think all of America is stupid.

Give me a FREAKIN break, believe me. We are the consumers and we know when we experience a problem, we are not the idiots. And if that's not enough. As of late the windows didn't work a couple times, the door locks have quit and then start back. The sunroof has began to leak. I have not yet been to the dealer for these latest issues yet. Also folks, you gotta remember one thing, when you go to different dealers you will get the same answer because they are all linked together. So the punch in your vin, the truck comes up it was serviced at 6 other dealers and they find the one that services your vehicle for the same issue and they give you the same answer as the other dealer did. That's all they know how to do. They don't know how to fix the problems either or they are trying to save themselves a lot of money on their junk. Good luck to you all, everybody is going to need it.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Purchased brand new 2012 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 with the 5.3 liter engine with 6 speed automatic transmission. The salesman and the dealership (500 Automotive in Clinton, IN) really pushed this drivetrain package stating that it had more power and better mpg rating than the 5.0. It cost a little more but I trusted them and decided to buy it considering that I was planning on keeping it for a long time (I paid twice as much for this truck ($44,000 msrp) than I paid for my first house).

I've experienced the following problems. 1. Oil sending unit replaced. 2. Oil pump replaced (they finally admitted that the oil pump had a known valve sticking problem). 3. Rear main seal repaired. 4. Oil filter leaking at seam. 5. Oil pan gasket replaced. 6. Rear main seal block off plate replaced (casting was porous allowing oil to leak bypassing the gasket sealant). 7. Oil pan replaced (porous metal). 8. Oil consumption problem (burning oil) repaired and replaced two cylinders, pistons, rings etc (dealership informed me that the rings were a poor design). I did a little checking and discovered that this particular problem (Active Fuel Management AFM) is part of a class action lawsuit. 9. Oil pan leak again. They replaced the sealant (gasket).

In GMs defense they have made all repairs so far under original warranty or the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty they issued after rear main seal work. Problems 3 thru 9 have occurred in an 9 month time period and around 8,000 mile window. Truck has 63,000 miles. Here's my issue with GM. They won't admit when they are wrong. The dealership sold me the truck under false pretenses. They knew there was a problem with the 5.3 liter leaking and consuming oil (GM was aware of the problem since its inception but they just kept making them - they finally redesigned the 2013 model year).

I know the problem is not fixed and as soon as the extra warranty expires in 2 months I'm sure they'll tell me the rear main seal is leaking again. I hope anyone that reads this and has experienced the same problems will comment and share any suggestions. I know the problem is not fixed because they would have fixed it by now. Poor design and poor quality control-castings are subpar because of impurities. If anyone has been successful at suing these corporate bailout recipients please let me know. Thanks for listening to me complain.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I bought a 2015 Silverado Lt Crew Cab New off the dealers lot. At 650 miles the check engine light lit and torque converter exploded causing metal to enter tranny. They fixed it within 2 weeks, at 16k miles 4 lifters failed in the engine. I wrote to customer satisfaction for Chevrolet. Since it didn't fit Lemon law they said they would send me a 500 dollar accessory card. 4-6 weeks later it never arrived. It slipped my mind for about a year. I wrote them another email and they replied with this letter. "Greetings from the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center! I just received a notification that the $500 Accessory Certificate was already generated. You should be receiving this in about 3-4 weeks’ time (depending on your postal service). The certificate was sent to the address that you provided."

Well the second card came just like the first one did... It never came. I received a call from Chevrolet and the heavy accented gentleman informed me that the accessory card will not be mailed a third time. I think it was never sent, For the post office to misplace two letters from the same company is highly unlikely. I will never buy another Chevrolet. Feel free to copy and paste this. The more who are educated on a poor product the better.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Bought a 2014 Chevy Silverado used with 27,000 miles. Have had numerous things go wrong with this truck but the latest 2 were not covered under warranty and ended up having to come out of pocket to have them fixed. The 1st thing in the last few months was the (ECM) Electronic Control Module for the air-conditioning. It quit and the whole AC system went black. No control whatsoever. That was $500.00 to fix now. The AC lines that go into compressor cracked leaked all the Freon out. That was another $500.00 to fix all within 3 months of each other. The bad part was that I called Chevrolet to see if they would help me out on the cracked lines 5 times. Service Request number ** Senior Advisor Mr. **. He never called back nor emailed me for 4 weeks.

So I called back today asking for an answer and they said there was nothing they could do. Still did not get Mr. ** on the Phone. Very sorry customer support. I really would not be that upset but $1000.00 within 3 months and I am making a $500.00 a month payment on a practically brand new truck that is drove on highway every day and only has 45,000 miles on it. The mechanic at Spartanburg Chevrolet said that this is a known issue about the cracked lines and they repair anywhere from 5 to 10 trucks a month for this issue with a special bracket that Chevrolet engineers have designed to fix this known problem. Guys I think when you have a known engineering defect it ought to be considered a recall and fixed for free instead of pissing off customers. This is my first Chevy and it may very well be my last.

Chevrolet Silverado Company Information