Chevrolet Silverado

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

2010 Silverado 5.3 - Bought the truck new, no heavy hauling, and it was maintained by Chevy. 66,000 miles the throttle control sensor went out leaving me on the side of the road. One week later the motor locked up. Chevy customer care did not call back within 48 hours as promised, nor did they return a call during that time period. Call the rep again, and was told that "she has a life" and that's why she didn't call. In the shop over a month, no rental car, several different answers why it broke down. First, main bearing seized, then a cracked block. Called again to a Chevy rep, no help and refused to let me speak to a superior. Again was promised a 48 hour call back that didn't happen. Chevy put in what they call a "crate" motor which, according to them, has used, remanufactured and new parts. Drove the truck straight to a Toyota dealer and traded it in. Engine is a lemon and poorly designed. I will never buy another GM product.

Purchased a new 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4x2. At 6k vehicle completely dies and leaves me on the freeway. Went to lower the window and the window started going up and down by itself. Towed the truck in and was advised that the fuel pump and fuel module went out. After repairs I started to notice a whistling noise and a hesitation or stutter in the truck. Took it in and they could not duplicate the issue. After about 3 time of taking it in, I finally had a tech drive with me and he heard what I was talking about. The entire exhaust system was replaced and the truck ran a bit better and no more whistling noise.

At around 13k backup camera started acting up whistling noise came back and took it in again. To my surprise no issue was found. Truck is at about 15k and still the same issues. Reading online I'm not the only one with this issue. It's dangerous to have the truck or any car hesitating when merging into traffic. It has about a 3 second delay. Feel like I got a lemon.

I own a 2011 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 L engine. Started having oil consumption problem. 1 quart every 1,200 miles when the truck reached 105,000 miles. At a 113,000 miles, traction control light coming on, very rough idle, loss of power. Engine misfires on cylinder one. Had to have my pistons, rings, plugs, gaskets replaced. All due the A.F.M. system. Cost over $5,000.00 to fix. Chevy Corporate not any help. Waited for a call from a supervisor, and nothing. Sent several emails, etc. G.M. Corporate denied knowing of this issue in their vehicles. However they have a lawsuit over this in another state. I would not purchase anything else from G.M. even if I loved their vehicles, the treatment I have got from the Customer Service Center is enough to turn me against G.M. forever. I will always try and prevent anyone from spending their hard-earned money on G.M. products.

Last year I purchased a 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4. It had $20,000. I bought it from Rancho Santa Margarita Ford and purchased their bumper to bumper 100,000 mile warranty. I should have known there was a problem from my first oil change. Just before 5000 miles my low oil light came on. I took it to Chevy and they stated that since it did not burn 1qt per 1000 miles they consider that normal. I couldn't believe it. If I wanted a car that consumed oil I would have bought something a lot cheaper and older. I wanted something that would be reliable for the next couple years.

Fast forward to 52,000 miles, still have the oil problem and now my fuel injectors are going bad. WTF. I would consider this an almost new truck. After some research it appears that it has happen to a lot of people ranging in mileage from 500 miles on up. Chevy says since it is not a recall issue and it is out of warranty. I am stuck. Then I remember my bumper to bumper warranty with Prestige. So I try to make a claim. But because the injectors are clogged it is not covered.

Seriously. It is a documented problem of a poor design. Their response is I should have changed the fuel filter or maybe I got bad gas. Seriously? It is not like I live in a third world country. I live in southern California. Chevy corporate was no help as well. They took my info in case something comes up in the future. This will be the last Chevy product I buy and since RSM Ford and their expensive warranty are no help I will not be supporting them in the future. Buyer beware!

I have had Chevy trucks my whole life and now looking elsewhere. I have at the moment 04 2500hd 4X4 crew cab with a Duramax, 99 1500 ext cab 4X4 5.3, 98 GMC Sonoma 4X4 ext cab and a 87 1 ton 2 wheel drive Dually. GM knows of problems and with thousands of others that are having or had the same problems. We just had a bit of a snow storm and I live in a area that doesnt have the best winter maintained roads. As it stands right now I own all 2 wheel drive trucks. The 04 had me stuck last night on a plowed road as the transfer case popped 3 times then stopped working altogether. I called for help and the 99 4X4 manual 4X4 decided its not going to work.

I went to leave with the Sonoma tonight and slid 1/2 way down the mountain I live on to find that the 4X4 doesnt work as well. I'm done with GM and their junk. I bought 4X4 because I needed it not because I enjoy walking in windy freezing weather. The 2 wheel drive truck was bought for summer towing and stopped running because of a temp sensor. Come on GM. What are you doing? I fixed the old 87 by getting rid of that un-needed computer and ended up with some mussel as the truck was being held back with the throttle body injection. Now the 454 has what it was - missing power. I'm done being robbed of my money to these people who don't care. GM broke me. I'm out of funds. People I'm giving warning. There has gotta be something better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

I bought a brand new Chevy Silverado 1500 LT in December of 2012. I currently have 97,000 miles. At 66,000 miles I needed a full transmission replaced. Covered at no charge and has a new 100,000 mile warranty, but makes me wonder how long this one will last. My stock radio has a short with the auxiliary jack and constantly cuts out thinking a device is connected. My rear passenger window control has an issue. From the passenger door it sometimes won't roll up and has to be rolled up from the driver controls. The latest... the driver side interior door handle broke off in my hand. Not just the handle but the arm connecting the handle to the door broke. $430 (part only) for a whole new panel because that is Chevy's only fix. Guess I should have paid for the extended bumper to bumper warranty, but at over $30,000 for a brand new vehicle I thought the quality would have been better.

We have had our 2007 Chevy Silverado since it was brand new and we had to replace the 5.3L engine two times. One at 112,000 miles and now the second at 236,000 miles. GM needs to fix this issue.

I bought a brand new 2017 Chevy Silverado about a month ago. The day after I bought it I noticed a slight miss or hesitation when lightly accelerating. I took it back to have them look at it and they went for a drive with me. He tried to tell me all kinds of stuff like it was still learning how I drive. After two visits I made another appt. for them to get it in the shop. They called later that evening after having it for a day that GM is aware of the problem but they don't know what it is or how to fix it but if anything changed they would let me know. So that tells me they knew about the problem before they sold it to me and are still selling to customers.

I went in today and talked my salesman who sent me back to shop manager who went for another ride with me. He said GM has been getting lots of complaints about it but they don't know yet how to fix or what it is (same thing they told me before). So now I don't know what to do. Seems unfair to me and they shouldn't still be selling them when they know they have a problem.

The new 2017 1 ton Chevy diesel has an opening in the front bumper area that allows any bird or stone or whatever to puncture a large hole in the transmission oil cooler. Oops $$$. This is a large 5"x15" hole that is just waiting for something to happen. It definitely needs a grill or mesh of some sort over it. Also, the DEF fluid filler tube is stuffed up against the passenger side firewall with a crossmember support pipe running across the top of it. Only enough room for a 1 quart bottle and DEF fluid is only sold in 1 and 2 1/2 gallon jugs. Since DEF fluid is corrosive, this is a bad system. The two problems look like some of Ford's better ideas.

You can do better than this chevrolet. Come on, clean up your act. I have been a new Chevrolet owner since 1972. You disappoint me. Both of these items are grounds for recalls. The rest of the truck (1 ton crew dually 4x4 new duramax allison tranny silverado HD) is a beautiful running truck. Only 500 miles on it already. My last two crew duallies 4x4 were 454 gassers. Great trucks also. I just took possession of his truck in Jan 2017 after ordering it in Oct 2016. These comments are directed at GM Corporate and have nothing to do with any dealer. Thank You.

2017 Silverado transmission issues - Poor acceleration, Engine misfiring, Transmission slip chugging uphill, loss of power, shifting problem, Vibration at higher speed, (Shifter) trailer logo scratched, Passenger rear right side door wind noise/and alignment, Stained carpet due to marker used on rivets on mats, Light switch loose. And that is just after 1920KM. I will need to buy a tow truck if this continues and all I get is "WE ARE LOOKING INTO IT". Hello. I think this is Newsworthy.

Let me know. I want to start a claim against GM selling defective trucks and knowing about it as far back as 2014.

So I bought a brand new 2016 Chevy Silverado blackout edition. Had nothing but trouble with this truck. In the 1st 2 month it was in the shop 4 times. Two weeks after I bought it I realized there was something wrong with the transmission. It would shimmy when going from 5th to 6th gear. It was really light and you could barely feel it. I told the dealer about it and they said "come back at 5000 miles." So at 5000 miles I came back. By this time it was worse. They told me they couldn't feel it or find anything wrong with the truck. I've brought it back 2 more times since then and they tell me they don't feel it and everything is normal. It's pretty bad when my 9-year old stepson says "Dad, why is the truck vibrating?" Or that my wife won't drive it because of the same reason. But yet the dealer can't feel it or find anything wrong. BS!!!

Hello, I been browsing through the reviews and complaints about the new Chevy Silverado 1500. I own a new 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD Double Cab,

All-Black, Rally Edition, 5.3L truck. Some of the negative reviews I experience when I first started driving my truck but after awhile they went away. Consumers have to realize when they buy a new truck from a dealership it have to be broken in first. Broken in means buy a truck for truck purposes, like hauling, towing, moving heavy objects, etc. New vehicles are not designed to drive only on the weekends, just on Sundays for church, or special occasion when you feel like bringing it out the garage or driveway. You have to actually drive these new vehicles on a daily basis. If not you will have mechanical problems.

Yes I witness a slight vibration, a sluggish power gain while or during acceleration, a bumpy drive, and etc. When the trucks comes from the factory they are new, very stiff, and bolted down and compressed tight. You have to drive and carry loads with your truck to loosen up the suspension. By doing this it will stop the vibration or bumpy ride. You will gain the full comfort in your suspension after breaking it in.

If you like sound and horsepower I would highly recommend adding a Flowmaster Dual Exhaust System and a Banks Power Cold Air Intake System for your truck to feel its max performance while driving. I love my truck and I've owned GM vehicles for over 20 years. I'm also a automotive mechanic supervisor and been working in a major repair shop level for over 19 years. I bought my Chevy Silverado because I wanted a truck. If I wanted a luxury, smooth ride I would of bought me a new Cadillac. Have a nice day and hope this was helpful.

Recently purchased a 2017 Silverado 44 with the 5.3 and 6 speed auto with the all star trim package. I've been a loyal G.M. customer for decades. Not anymore. Literally from day one I've been experiencing transmission shifting problems and the info center showing random messages even when not in use. The truck had 5 miles on it when I purchased it. When I spoke to the service mgr. the 2nd day of ownership he shrugged his shoulders. I don't work six days a week to spend my money on a piece of junk. Thus begins the battle...

So I bought my 2012 Silverado 1500 crew cab with 24000 miles on it. At 27000 miles I brought in because of loud noise coming from front differential. The service department didn't even look at fluid or anything for that matter and told me that all the 2012 Silverados made this noise. And to only put in auto when you need to be in 4wd. So noise got worse so took it to another dealer and they said same thing!! So now I just think it's the noise it makes and leave it out of 4wd. Well at 70000 miles I had to use 4wd because of weather and guess what?!? My front differential goes out. And guess what?!? Warranty is over!! But now a dealer will look at it!!! And guess what? The bill is 3200$!! Pretty upset with GM. I'm trying to see if they can help me and they won't even call me back.

Our driver's door handle broke a couple months ago and we frustratingly paid approximately $400 to have the handle replaced. A couple weeks ago the replaced handle became loose so we took it again. The advice given to us was, "Well just don't be so hard on the handle." Seriously??? So they "tightened" it and it seemed to be functioning okay. Then just a couple days ago it became loose again. This time they said the problem was with the "linkage" in the door panel. And it would cost approximately $600 to get the door panel assembly replaced. Apparently Chevrolet is aware of this reoccurring problem and multiple requests have been made for a recall but they would rather earn profit by selling door assemblies. Unless Chevrolet "does the right thing" we will never purchase a Chevrolet again.

I bought a new 2016 LTZ Silverado and it has the worse transmission I've ever owned in a pickup. Hard upshifts and downshifts at low speeds, long hesitations at stop signs (2 to 3 sec) that is crazy almost caused an accident a couple times. I took to dealer. They say that's normal but lots of complaints from people. Can't believe there's no recall or computer update for transmission.

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 pick-up truck which I still drive today. I have done my regular maintenance on the truck and it is amazingly still in good condition and runs like a charm. My mileage is still low at 115,000 miles on the truck because I have been told by mechanics and other owners that I should still be driving it past 300,000 miles if I take good care of it. I have changed the tires & brakes of course before 100,000 miles but I have done little else except change the oil and exhaust system due to rusting from road salt applied by the local jurisdiction during snow and ice, which don't get much of but when it sounds like it's coming they load it on.

Also, I did one bumper to bumper lubrication check & fill on the truck. I'm getting ready to put new engine belts and hoses on it just because I don't want to wait for them to go out. The only complaint I have is that the fog lights at the lower section of the front bumper keep going out, which again I think is because of the road salt. The shocks are about due to. With heated leather seats and a great sound system you couldn't make me trade it for anything but a new Silverado.

I bought a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 and it has to be the worst investment I have ever made. To start that thing uses up a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. GM says this is normal! Also has the infamous engine ticking. Have had it in the shop multiple times because it got in the habit of having the interior, headlights and dash lights start flickering all at once then the steering wheel locks up making it impossible to steer, A/C and In-dash turn off then the entire truck shuts down. It has been to Friendly Chevrolet 3 times for the same issue only to be returned as "fixed" or the excuse of "unable to recreate."

After contacting GM/Chevrolet they have refused to stand behind their product and buy back this lemon advising me that if they are unable to recreate then the problem doesn't exist. So I took it upon myself to record a video and have proof of the life threatening malfunctions. There are also thousands of others experiencing the same issues on online forums and YouTube. DO NOT BUY CHEVROLET. THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AND THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE CONSUMER.

2013 Chevy 3500 - I have a 3500 and I swear this is the biggest piece ever made. We have fixed everything from a whole new fuel system to oil pan replacement transmission leaks. We have to completely redo the left brakes about every 3 months. The dealerships says it's because we drive the truck on gravel roads and we should be washing the brakes off everyday!!! We have a Ford 1 ton also and has just as many miles and the brakes have never been a problem. Then to top the whole brake thing we get them replaced from the dealership and I was driving home and the tire fell off the truck that was $1000 that Chevy would not cover. Now we just had brakes redone less than a week ago and I'm down to 4 lug nuts on the truck!!

I was going down my driveway, pulling a 16 ft stock trailer when the brake line on the drivers side rear wheel ruptured. I was able to stop, but only because I was going 10 mph and the electric brakes on the trailer engaged. Took to Chevy service and had to have all the brake lines replaced because of corrosion and holes in them. Replaced 2 front calipers because the pistons were corroded and stuck. Truck had to be towed to dealer. Dealer wanted to replace rear pads and drums because they were exposed to brake fluid, but we can't afford that right now. Total cost of repairs was #1647.94. 2/3's was labor because of the calipers. Truck is a 2005 with 61,500 miles. I am filing this to join the thousands of others with the same problem and to have the evidence to recover the cost for repairs from Chevrolet.

I purchased this brand new 2015 truck with less than 100 miles on it. Since day one I've had nothing but problems with the transmission. It's so bad that the service department has worked on it multiple times and now is in the service department again for 3 weeks!!! I'm paying for a truck I can't drive. Among the transmission I've had multiple problems with the driver's seat, had to replace the rims and tires, the tailgate fell off, the driver's door panel melted, the 110 outlet broke, and radio stopped working.

Traded in my 2007 Nissan Titan for a used 2014 Chevy 1500 crew cab. Bought the truck at a Corpus Christi dealership. It had less than 4000 miles on it. Truck had aftermarket rims on it. 24" rims look like a very nice truck. When driving back home which is 200 miles away we could feel slight vibration on it but was told that it was the aftermarket rims. After putting a couple hundred miles more, the vibration got worse. I googled what the problem could be. That's when I found out Chevy had a vibration problem called the Chevy shake. That's the least of my problem.

Now I was driving thru town while it was raining suddenly engine shut down. Took it home, got under truck and saw engine was leaking oil and I could feel a hole on the block. Somehow engine lost all of the oil and the engine blew up. Called so they could take truck to dealership and they came up with that the engine had water in it and it caused it to blow up. They don't want to honor warranty and they are wanting to use my insurance to cover the engine. If I could I would take my Nissan back in a heartbeat. 2014 chevy are coming out lemons. DON'T BUY A CHEVROLET. YOU WILL BE SORRY.

I'm working on a 2003 Chevy 1500 2 wheel drive standard cab. In the brake lines are rusted trailer de meet the frame on driver's side beneath the door. As you open the door where the hinges are just file it's right under to the frame and that's where the brake lines lay up against the frame from the water I guess sitting there soaking up the brake line was soaking up the water causing it to rust. Seems like you could lift them up about 2 inches and it wouldn't be a problem or go to a better grade metal looks like braided lines all the way back. This is the third brake light out replaced on this truck and I only had it for 6 months prior to the month that I had it. The previous owner had the brake lines replaced. It's a serious issue and you all to make the brake lines with a better metal and stop trying to save money using an inferior brake line metal used stainless steel that will eliminate any rust problems.

Please I will be gladly to pay more for a truck with stainless steel brake lines rather than dealing with brake lines that are very difficult to get to and you have to take them to gas tank, take down god-knows-what underneath just to get to the brake lines and everything they touch. It seems like that Rush too so it's a terrible problem that you guys have. GM needs to definitely get on top of this before someone gets killed or hurt. I've lost my brakes twice thank God nobody got killed.

2013 Chevy Silverado with Rocky Ridge pkg...multiple problems. I bought my truck brand new in 2013. It currently has 66000 miles on it and I have nothing but problems with it. I already had to have #1 spark plug replaced due to it splitting. Now another one is messed up, back passenger door retains water inside the door itself every time it rains, the clear coat is peeling off my wheel wells, my stereo scans for channels constantly on its own, the ac stays on outside air, won't switch to recirculating anymore. I already had to have both tail pipes welded back on. Needless to say all the issues besides the #1 spark plug are not covered on the original warranty. Really disappointed in the product that they are selling for such outrageous prices. I won't buy another Chevy. That is for sure. I feel this truck is a lemon.

While driving to Idaho through Oregon my side curtain airbags and seat belts deployed for no reason at all. We drove on the rumble strip and they blew up. The dealer said computer ECM showed no problem. Everything was normal. PAC team was told to stop investigation and claim was transferred to Michigan. Claims rep who could care less and gave the Sam story to me as she told others on this site. The dealership has been fantastic. I have ordered 3 trucks so far and GM has cancelled all deals and assistance. Now I get notified there is another recall for airbags that won't deploy. In 2013 I believe 2 children were killed from these side curtain deployments. GM had to recall similar vehicles just a few years ago for this same problem. My insurance will not certify the truth and has other claims for this same problem. It is only happening to a small amount of these trucks and cars so GM can care less and deny everything...

Purchased this vehicle "new" in Feb 2015 with 4,000 miles on it. Two months into ownership the vehicle went back to the dealership for multiple issues. The vehicle immediately had issues with severe vibration from the rear suspension. Vibration was so severe at 50-70 mph that passengers were terribly uncomfortable. The vehicle also has shifting issues mostly between 2nd and 3rd gears into acceleration. The dealer made a lot of excuses and kept the vehicle an extended amount of time to diagnose the problems with no fix for the vibration. The transmission and suspension definitely have design issues on the 2015 models.

After a long trip, the oil light came on saying low oil. Dealer changed the oil but could not explain why the vehicle was burning oil. The navigation system had some kind of short that took months to fix and now at 20,000 miles it has developed a leak at the Onstar speaker. Vehicle has spent more time in the shop than on the road in the past year of ownership. I traded a 2002 Avalanche for this crappy vehicle and I wish I had it back. I am astounded that GM/Chevrolet are not more proactive in trying to fix these issues and building a solid product. There is no way any of these vehicles should be the "most awarded" as advertised. A $40,000 expenditure for a "new, loaded vehicle" was NOT worth the money. The resale on these vehicles will be zip. I am looking for a new, non-GM vehicle.

Purchased 1 ton Chevy Pickup to pull 5th wheel rv. This vehicle has factory installed integrated braking system. The last three times pulling RV after two hours traveling the Trailer will bounce severely when brakes are applied on Truck. Feels like the truck is sending signals to truck to cause trailer to act like anti-lock brakes pulsating. Braking cause trailer to bounce. You have to remove foot off of truck brake to get it to stop. Trailer does not do this when pulled by other vehicles. Chevy will not admit there is a problem This is a hazardous issue as truck will not stop when this happens.

2014 Silverado A/C out - I bought this truck new and the a/c has gone out at 40,400 miles. Upon 5 mins of online research I see that this is a common problem among 2014-2015 GM trucks.

2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT - Purchased this vehicle a few months ago with 13000 miles on it. Been reading all the bad reviews and agree with quality problems. Owned a 2000 Silverado with 216000 miles never let me down. Think I've figured out what to do to help out with the idle and wired shifting and banging of gears with this questionable 6 speed tranny. Take total control of it by keeping it in manual 5 around town which keeps it from going into drop 4 cylinder mode and allows you to drive up to 50 mph without burning a lot of extra fuel.

Buy yourself a Range, plug it in for highway use only. Got a cold air intake and cut back duel exhaust - wow what a difference, well worth the money. Truck is way fun to drive. Am very impressed with the performance now. 5.3. Dropping 4 cylinders causes a lot of problems like oil disappearing. GM has no clue where it goes. l think that maybe the reason for rough idle maybe fouling spark plugs seems like my truck is doing so much better now. Seems like when slowing down and tranny gets between 3rd to 2nd gear giving it gas before the gear grabs causes the bang - just wait for the gear to grab and you can make that problem go away also. Modern technology oh boy!!! Hope this info helps you out.

As far as I'm concerned it's been a great truck, never done me wrong. Just as the ones before it from GM, we did have a problematic GMC Sierra but never had a bad Duramax Silverado. But this review is specifically about my current 2013, which has run great from the beginning. Now it's at the 87000km mark, a great portion of which has been spent towing a heavy trailer on rough gravel, which it does with competence. I know 87000 is relatively low... But I really can't see it going south on me in the future. And if it does, I will be doing a much different review.

My only gripes so far are the def fluid which is just a pain and as I've heard gives worse mileage. And I have the feeling it will have a conniption and screw up one day, it's bound to happen to me in the middle of nowhere and I'll be derated. This has happened to me with the one GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax that I mentioned earlier and I know it's happened to friends in the past with their Silverado's. Also it's the loudest GM I've even owned, a LOT of wind noise. Being that much wind noise I'd think it's got a poorly sealed cabin but it doesn't seem to have any water leakage around door and window seals so who knows... It was annoying at first but I got use to it.

Something else is the engine exhaust break that was a new feature in 2013, it doesn't work as well as I think it should - mostly it doesn't work at all in manual mode where I down shift on hills with a heavy load on, but it works quite well in automatic if you just wait and let the truck figure it out it comes on, eventually... But it takes its time. And the most current problem, which actually is a problem, a fault in the built in trailer brake control module. Even though I have no trailer plugged in it still is coming up with the message "Service trailer brake system." It's coming up so often it has actually become annoying. It's a false computer code that I'll have to get fixed. But it's no big deal when in comparison to how good it's been. That's it, good experience and no real complaints.

Chevrolet Silverado Company Profile