Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
3.74/5

Chevrolet Silverado

The Chevrolet Silverado is a full-size pickup truck. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

792 Chevrolet Silverado Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2019

I AM ONE OF THOUSANDS THAT'S HAVING CONDENSER ISSUES, AND GM HAS YET TO FILE A RECALL!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A CHEVY!!! Nobody is able to help me with this issue. I will not pay 1200 to fix this issue.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Ok. First off, I'm a good barometre, because mine is a company truck, like a free one. Silverado 1500 Z71, off road. 2017. All the options but leather and passenger power seat. So here is the deal... It's not a "truck", it's not designed for "off road". It's a big car with a truck bed in the back. Here are the issues. Ride, wow quiet. Great on the interstate, just like a good old family car should be. Off road? Rough road? A joke. This thing to spite the "off road" logo is as spongy as grandmas 1986 Buick Electra. It is essentially an all wheel drive car. Incapable of not destroying the front bottom air damn at the slightest rough road conditions. It's a 4 bounce suspension off road, incapable of controlling the front end in off road conditions. "You are going too fast" you are saying to yourself. Naa, I'm talking at CRAWLING speed. In short this is not a 4by4 you want to take out anywhere but a paved road with 4" of snow.

The transmission. It's a Joke. Floor this thing it takes 10 seconds to figure out where to shift. "It must be broken" you might say. No we have 5 of them. 2016 to 2018. All the same. Traction control? Literally worthless. My wife's Ford Explorer 2013 is FAR better in slick conditions. I'm not sure Chevy didn't just install a button to make us think it has it. How low to the ground with plastic can a truck get with a bouncy suspension? Not any lower to allow you to be considered to win a lowrider comp. in LA. Joke. Interior? All I will say is sit in a Ford or Dodge the same year and you will know how cheap the Chevy is. Seats are particularly bad. Soft, squishy, no support.

Good things? Once it does shift good power, Dodge will smoke it, Ford about the same in power I would say. It is however, as quiet as the come. Handles great on smooth roads and corners. Mileage right in the middle. Price...here is the really bad part. It is WAY more money than it should be for what you get. Last, if you get a flat, the cheap stainless lug nut covers will be ruined, ya, expect new lug nut after tire replacement because that lug cover will crack and fall off. The truck ain't worth the money. Buy one of the other two...period.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I bought a 2018 Silverado Z71 last summer and it now has 12K miles on it. I honestly wish I never bought the truck! Sticker price was 55K and I have had it in service 4 times because of the transmission. I have opened 2 cases with Chevy and have been told the problem is known and the operation of the transmission "is as designed." I can't believe the 8 speed transmission was designed to consistently/intermittently surge, hard shift, kick, and make loud bangs on occasion. I hate this transmission... I'm embarrassed to have people in my new truck and can't wait to get rid of the truck.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I had a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado Base 4.3 Vortec V6. Mine was the work truck with the chrome appearance package and the upgraded seats and carpet no, PWR windows. Was a good truck, purchased in 2011 with 45000 miles on it, sold it with 130000 in 2013. Drove it to San Antonio many times. Got 23mpg. cheap on parts. The only issues he had were the HVAC controls, the fan speed selector wouldn't work on 4 and 2 which was due to a module under the dash. Worked fine after buying the 65 dollar part, then a year later 3 stopped this time it was the harness to the module with was 50 bucks and easy to replace, had to replace the brake pads, and ball joints at 120000 miles, the intake gasket was leaking and it needs ignition coils at 115000 miles, the intake gasket is a common issue on Chevrolets of this era. Was a great truck. Served me well plus when I was in high school I put a Flowmaster 40 on it. Most people thought it was an 8 cylinder.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I bought a 2017 Silverado about 8 months ago. Since then, averaging at least monthly, my truck has been at the dealership for service and I've been in a rental car. I've spent more time in a rental than I have in my truck that I've spent thousands in bbn purchasing. Whomever is in charge of QA on what rolls off their line... Needs to be fired. I have brought this up to GM Corporate and of course the only solution was that they give me a service voucher since obviously my truck will be back next month. Never I had such an issue with a Chevy product until now. NEVER will I purchase another and will discourage others. Save your money and get a Ford. At least there you know what you are getting!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Silverado?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought a Chevy Silverado 1500 Quadrasteer and I love it. I always am having it service to make sure I don't break down like keeping up with the oil and stuff, keeping it washed and waxed. I just now got 1000+ miles on it. Just seen today there is a hole in my bed. Like it's bad enough I can't find shocks for it but now this. I believe in you take care of something it will take care of you. I've never had any issue with my truck cause it's all about keeping up with the service on it. Now I have this.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Purchased new 2014 Silverado 4 X 4. Has only 14000 miles. 4 wheel drive quit working, and even though drive train is under warranty, Chevy refuses to touch it without first charging a "diagnosis fee". GM does not stand by their product or uphold their warranty. Paid extra $6000 for 4WD that doesn't even work! Rude customer service at GM. CSR was rude and unprofessional, and hung up on me when I asked to speak to a supervisor. Dealership blames GM, GM blames dealership, no one claims responsibility, they just want more money to cover their existing warranty.

"Diagnosis Fee?" It doesn't drive in 4WD, i.e. drivetrain. Will never buy another Chevy. Terrible investment that falls apart no matter how you baby it. Like I said, truck only has 14000 miles, about what most folks drive in a year, which is bad enough, but Chevy won't even fix their lousy product. As a disabled combat vet, I depend on my vehicle. First and last Chevy I will ever buy. Going back to Toyota from now on.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Love the truck BUT it has 4200 miles on it and if it sits 3 days in cold weather it will either not start or if it will the reduced engine power comes on. Really, this is 2nd winter, I make sure to turn everything off. Really leery to drive it as it may not start. I am a 65 yr old female that lives in a very rural area. So disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I bought my 2013 Silverado 1500 series new. I bought a warranty for an additional $3100.00. Currently my vehicle is at 147000 km and the warranty ran out March of this year. Suddenly my Transmission has failed, my vehicle is not drivable, and currently sits at a dealership. After 4 weeks of waiting and numerous calls to GM and the dealer GM has determined it is wear and tear on the transmission. GM has refused to investigate into why the transmission failed. The dealer removed the dip stick and found shavings on the end of the dip stick and feels that something within the transmission itself is faulty but cannot proceed without GM's approval. The dealer is offering a 25% discount on the purchase of a new transmission and GM feels this is a very fair offer.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My wife and I bought a brand new 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 in October of 2014. The truck was our dream truck and we forked out 50k to get all the bells and whistles. We believed in Chevys motto "Find New Roads" So we did just that. We traveled across the United States in our brand new truck. Here is the summary of things that happened. Left rear tire had been previously repaired at the dealer prior to our purchase. Tire blew in the middle of nowhere Texas. Rain leaked in and flooded the cabin in Arkansas... Dealer fixed and said the found a pinhole by the windshield.

AC condenser broke at 35k miles. Radio Panel acts up often. AC buttons don't always turn on. You have to sometimes turn off the truck then restart it in order for it to work. Now at 106k miles transmission went out. Dealer quoted us 4800.00 for a rebuilt transmission. This truck has been a total nightmare and we will never have anything good to say about our experience with our Chevy truck. Take our advice and invest your money in something else.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 is approximately 3 months old with 5,000 miles. The vehicle was sluggish to start but eventually turned over on Sunday 11/4/18. The next day, Monday 11/5/18, the vehicle had full electrical power but wouldn't turn over. Vehicle was towed to the dealership it was purchased from and I was told it was a bad fuel pump which was replaced under warranty. On Wednesday 11/7/18, I was driving my vehicle to work and while on the highway my engine died. I had complete electrical power but no ability to accelerate. Nothing makes you pucker up like cars coming up on you at 70 miles an hour and you can't accelerate. I was very fortunate that I was not rear ended and that my children were not in the vehicle as I sometimes drop them off at daycare in the morning. I was able to get to the shoulder of the road where the vehicle wouldn't start.

Vehicle was towed back to the dealership for the second time in a week. I received a call that evening that the Engine Control Module was bad and the vehicle should be repaired on 11/8/18. Who knows how much damage a faulty ECM has done to any other systems. Previous to this vehicle I owned a Toyota 4Runner that I traded in at 10 years old and 170,000 miles. The vehicle never showed a check engine light or had to be towed. I miss my Toyota. This will most definitely be the last Chevrolet product that I purchase.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM CHEVY/GMC!!! I’m backing down my driveway at 5:30 am (which is on a hill) and to my surprise my brake pedal won’t budge. I roll all the way down my driveway into my neighbor’s yard until my emergency brake finally stops me. There is a TSB bulletin about this issue which involves 4 parts and costs $2000. Chevy is well aware of this issue. When I called the customer service line all they wanted to talk about is a warranty which only goes to 36000 miles. My truck is a well maintained 77,000 miles. By the way this particular TSB is not only for Silverados, but for Suburbans, Escalades, and MANY others. The bottom line is there is a braking system failure which Chevy knows about but is unwilling to do anything about. I remember now why I quit buying from this awful company, I’m going back to a Tundra.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I don’t get why this issue is not more public, I bought 2018 Silverado Special Edition $70K which also vibrates. In 4WD or AWD from 90 and up is not driveable. GM solution is to just not drive in AWD highway speeds. I Live in CANADA so that’s a joke on me then. It sits in my driveway. Other than that great truck. My 2012 2500 HD is a dream to drive so I use that hoping for a fix. This should be a much more public issue.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I bought a brand new 2016 Chevy Silverado and right away noticed the paint chipping off on all sides, up on top of hood, on the front and sides. Ridiculous. Called dealer and they said that wasn't covered. Now I have owned it for 2 years and I stopped at a store to park and the steering stiffened and lost my brakes. They are saying it's a vacuum. Had to tow it. And my transmission also seems confused when I step hard on gas. Sometimes it jumps forward into gear in traffic. Not too happy...

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado. I love the look and the way it drives but there is this one problem that seems like Chevy can't figure it out. GMC is aware of it but seems like they just want to brush it under the rug kind of deal. But anyways my truck just made a year in May and I DID a full service rotate tires and also oil change. Drove it home and a few days later my driver side wheel area makes this annoying ticking sound every time I make right sharp turns like example pulling in to my parking stall. The ticking sounds gets louder the more you drive it. I have took it to Chevy multiple times. At first they thought it was the hug nut. Nope. That got replaced and still got the ticking sound. Then GMC said Cutter Chevy stripped the inside of my rim where the bolts go and that was a no go. Replaced all 4 rims and she still makes that ticking sound.

I am a very frustrated customer who has a new truck and is very embarrassed driving this new Chevy truck that makes such loud noise. My truck has been in the dealership at least 8 times. I hope they can figure this out because honestly I feel like Chevy sucks now and needs to put more work on their Chevy Silverado trucks before putting it out there stating it's a good running truck when they have these problems and can't figure it out. Apparently I was told I'm not the first customer to have this problem so like I said Chevy is aware but they giving me the runarounds.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Leasing a 2017 Silverado with the 5.3 with fuel management. When I first got it I noticed that the truck seemed confused at times as into what gear it should of been in which made the truck shift hard. If I try to pass a vehicle when I'm going approximately 30 mph and slam on the gas the truck seems like it gasps for air. Took it to the dealer they said it was normal, called Chevy and they told me they had never heard of such a thing. Hard to believe since I found a bunch of blogs about the same issue.

Lately when I back out of my driveway it sound like the spare bounces around but it's tight. Decided to rock the truck side to side and it sound like the axle is tapping in the rims. Again took it in. I was told it had to do with the leaf springs. They supposedly fix it, the next day it was doing the same thing. Took it back then I was told that it was normal because of the way the truck is built. I have 2 years left on my lease and I'm not sure if I'll make without looking my cool about this POS. Needless to say I'm not happy.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

This was my favorite truck. If I had gotten a v8 I would still have it today. In fact the only reason I sold it was because I got a phenomenal lease deal on a Sierra Denali. I put 46k on this truck driving for work in Houston, and it ran great. I got the v6 version because it got better fuel mileage ratings than the V8, and I would routinely get 24 to 26mpg. The paint on this truck chipped easily. The engine had pretty noticeable lifter ticking but that never seemed to affect its function. The exterior design of the 14 and 15 Silverados is beautiful and reminiscent of the ones made in the mid 80s. The 14 and up trucks are well finished on the inside and use durable materials. They are also very quiet while driving.

My main complaint with the v6 of that year model was that at idle there was a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel. Other than that, it was capable of doing every job that I asked it to. I moved twice with this truck and hauled innumerable trailers and home improvement equipment. I would personally recommend getting the v8 over the v6 as it does run smoother and has more power, but the v6 is a very capable and thrifty engine that was totally reliable while I owned it. I wish GM had not changed the truck's appearance so quickly and I still prefer the 14 and 15 Chevrolet style over the later ones.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I bought a brand new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 that’s black. The paint chips easily, is checking out, and look like it’s gonna bubble on the hood. Checking out thru out the vehicle. It’s always been garaged when not in use. Took it to the local Lithia and it didn’t sound would do much since it’s past 36000 miles. The truck now has 48000. In my opinion since the truck is only three years old it shouldn’t be doing this. Probably won’t by Chevy now again.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado that just past paint warranty. Just bought this truck and noticed on the roof the paint is bubbling and corroding. Called GM. They did not want to cover all of it. This is very poor craftsmanship. Their corrosion warranty in fine detail means it has to be rusted through. What a joke. I understand that these are mass produced but at least take care of the customer within reasonable matter. GM has had nothing but issues with their paint, going off consumer reviews. I have owned these pickups my whole life, and can't believe they don't stand behind their work.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Just like thousands of other customers, the a/c condenser just leaked out all my refrigerant. It’s a new truck (2015 Silverado). The shop wants too much to fix it. I’m pulled over on the side of the road in a thunderstorm because the windows will not unfog. My child has asthma and it is 88 degrees in the car. There have also been other recalls to include seatbelt and tow hitch. I will never buy another Silverado and I am spreading this message all over social media since Chevrolet does not want to address all of us loyal customers. I am going to CarMax to get a Ford.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I love the Chevy Silverado! I wanted it because of the room it had. I could haul things plus it had the extended cab so I would still be able to take my grandchildren if necessary. It also was a 1500 series made without carpet which I loved so spills would not be soaked into any carpet. If I had to improve anything it would be to put a better heater button in the truck. I have had mine replaced and it only lasted a few weeks and had stopped working again.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It's a useful work-horse vehicle with a sharp appearance, decent mileage and wonderful technology. The steering controls make it easy to quickly flip through the menu to access information like gas mileage or even phone contacts (when stuck) and it pulls the trailer like a dream. I like the features especially the technology. One minor feature are the dual climate controls which is really great especially when on a long drive! Easy to drive, comfortable, nice looking. Also, my husband is a Chevy man and wouldn't really consider anything else. I really love the backup camera and Bluetooth features! Very accommodating and nice Dealership too. On the downside, I don't care for the stereo system which I find unwieldy to use easily.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Smooth ride and enough room for everyone. It hauls everything we need easily and has a good tow package. It also looks very inviting and pretty then its interior is very spacious and easy to clean. And it has good gas mileage. But maybe it could come with running boards as factory item already on it. Otherwise, very good and would purchase again.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Chevrolet Silverado is very roomy. This is a crew cab truck and has extra room in both the front and back seats, which is one of the reasons we purchased it. It has great miles per gallon and it handles very well while driving it. I like that it has a backup camera on the screen. It is very comfortable to ride in. You can answer your phone or make phone calls thru the dashboard screen. Also, we liked the style and color of the vehicle. It has everything on it that I want in a vehicle.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I am the owner of a 2002 Chevy Silverado pickup truck with 136,000 miles. While driving through town in the morning rush hour traffic I pulled off at gas station. I went in for a few items, got back in my truck and was going to pull back out into traffic when the brake pedal went to the floor. I had to ease my way over to the side of the drive. Got out of the truck and found brake fluid leaking from underneath. I had the truck towed to a local garage. They found the brake line under the driver side had completely rusted through and also found several more rusted areas in the line. Cost to install new brake lines $472.00 plus a tow bill. Luckily it happened when I wasn’t in traffic. I would have definitely rear ended someone.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The truck drives well to any destination and pulls well. It's a nice looking truck and my husband loves the vehicle. We adore it. It is an extremely reliable vehicle that helps us reach our desired destination. I like the parking assist and the beauty of the vehicle plus the color and the style of the vehicle and its utility. But the upholstery is poor quality. The paint scratches easily so we have to be careful with it. Better paint and upholstery would be better. It tore not long after we owned it and it was hard to get the dealership to fix it.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We only buy Chevrolet and our truck is a 2008 model. It came with a tow package which was a must for our camper. The heated seats are important for us due to back problems. It doesn't set up too high so it's easy for me and my elderly aunt to get in and out of it. Other than changing oil and small maintenance we have never had any trouble with it. It's decent on gas, rides great, has power windows, power steering, and four wheel drive. Excellent in the snow. However, I wish the seats reclined a little more. My husband would like to have a soft shell tonto cover instead of the hard casing. The automatic door locks are nice but the passenger lock is broken and makes a loud noise.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Chevy trucks are great. I had a Ford truck once and it was great too, but this one had all the features I wanted so I bought it. I like the radio flicker on the steaming wheel and I chose the truck because it was on the lot with features I like. I love that it had included up high on the top on star thing and it was really handy and I used it all the time. But, then a terrible thing happened, they took it out after a year because it wasn't free after that. Running boards are junk and I would of course, change those out immediately, but unfortunately, I can't do that immediately because the truck is already so expensive. I can't afford to change them out.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I like my 2000 Chevrolet Silverado purchased in 2011. It handles well, a nice smooth ride & I like the height to see better than you can in a car. I like the color and the push button 4 wheel drive. I love the 4 wheel drive for winter weather. It is great for hauling groceries & garage saleing, I like the extended cab far more than I could have imagined. However, I don't like the repair cost on 4 wheel drive, it seems a bit expensive yet cheaper than replacing. It is a gas hog but effective for my area which is very rural and in the winter town is a long way & generally a nasty drive.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The 2013 Chevy Silverado is a very comfortable riding truck for highway or long trips. This truck includes a back seat for additional storage or passengers the truck bed allows space for moving or picking up of items for your home. It sits up higher than your average auto and this makes for better vision while traveling. Because this truck is higher sitting in the event of flying objects while traveling at higher speeds on the highway it allows room for the object to miss hitting the front windshield. When I purchased it in 2013 I wish I had the running boards installed on the vehicle. This would make getting in and out of the truck easier for me since I am short.

Chevrolet Silverado Company Information