2.82/5
Based on 45 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Chevrolet Silverado

The Chevrolet Silverado is a full-size pickup truck. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

772 Chevrolet Silverado Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I love the Chevy Silverado! I wanted it because of the room it had. I could haul things plus it had the extended cab so I would still be able to take my grandchildren if necessary. It also was a 1500 series made without carpet which I loved so spills would not be soaked into any carpet. If I had to improve anything it would be to put a better heater button in the truck. I have had mine replaced and it only lasted a few weeks and had stopped working again.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It's a useful work-horse vehicle with a sharp appearance, decent mileage and wonderful technology. The steering controls make it easy to quickly flip through the menu to access information like gas mileage or even phone contacts (when stuck) and it pulls the trailer like a dream. I like the features especially the technology. One minor feature are the dual climate controls which is really great especially when on a long drive! Easy to drive, comfortable, nice looking. Also, my husband is a Chevy man and wouldn't really consider anything else. I really love the backup camera and Bluetooth features! Very accommodating and nice Dealership too. On the downside, I don't care for the stereo system which I find unwieldy to use easily.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 18, 2018

Smooth ride and enough room for everyone. It hauls everything we need easily and has a good tow package. It also looks very inviting and pretty then its interior is very spacious and easy to clean. And it has good gas mileage. But maybe it could come with running boards as factory item already on it. Otherwise, very good and would purchase again.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Chevrolet Silverado is very roomy. This is a crew cab truck and has extra room in both the front and back seats, which is one of the reasons we purchased it. It has great miles per gallon and it handles very well while driving it. I like that it has a backup camera on the screen. It is very comfortable to ride in. You can answer your phone or make phone calls thru the dashboard screen. Also, we liked the style and color of the vehicle. It has everything on it that I want in a vehicle.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I am the owner of a 2002 Chevy Silverado pickup truck with 136,000 miles. While driving through town in the morning rush hour traffic I pulled off at gas station. I went in for a few items, got back in my truck and was going to pull back out into traffic when the brake pedal went to the floor. I had to ease my way over to the side of the drive. Got out of the truck and found brake fluid leaking from underneath. I had the truck towed to a local garage. They found the brake line under the driver side had completely rusted through and also found several more rusted areas in the line. Cost to install new brake lines $472.00 plus a tow bill. Luckily it happened when I wasn’t in traffic. I would have definitely rear ended someone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Silverado?

Original review: June 16, 2018

The truck drives well to any destination and pulls well. It's a nice looking truck and my husband loves the vehicle. We adore it. It is an extremely reliable vehicle that helps us reach our desired destination. I like the parking assist and the beauty of the vehicle plus the color and the style of the vehicle and its utility. But the upholstery is poor quality. The paint scratches easily so we have to be careful with it. Better paint and upholstery would be better. It tore not long after we owned it and it was hard to get the dealership to fix it.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We only buy Chevrolet and our truck is a 2008 model. It came with a tow package which was a must for our camper. The heated seats are important for us due to back problems. It doesn't set up too high so it's easy for me and my elderly aunt to get in and out of it. Other than changing oil and small maintenance we have never had any trouble with it. It's decent on gas, rides great, has power windows, power steering, and four wheel drive. Excellent in the snow. However, I wish the seats reclined a little more. My husband would like to have a soft shell tonto cover instead of the hard casing. The automatic door locks are nice but the passenger lock is broken and makes a loud noise.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Chevy trucks are great. I had a Ford truck once and it was great too, but this one had all the features I wanted so I bought it. I like the radio flicker on the steaming wheel and I chose the truck because it was on the lot with features I like. I love that it had included up high on the top on star thing and it was really handy and I used it all the time. But, then a terrible thing happened, they took it out after a year because it wasn't free after that. Running boards are junk and I would of course, change those out immediately, but unfortunately, I can't do that immediately because the truck is already so expensive. I can't afford to change them out.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I like my 2000 Chevrolet Silverado purchased in 2011. It handles well, a nice smooth ride & I like the height to see better than you can in a car. I like the color and the push button 4 wheel drive. I love the 4 wheel drive for winter weather. It is great for hauling groceries & garage saleing, I like the extended cab far more than I could have imagined. However, I don't like the repair cost on 4 wheel drive, it seems a bit expensive yet cheaper than replacing. It is a gas hog but effective for my area which is very rural and in the winter town is a long way & generally a nasty drive.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The 2013 Chevy Silverado is a very comfortable riding truck for highway or long trips. This truck includes a back seat for additional storage or passengers the truck bed allows space for moving or picking up of items for your home. It sits up higher than your average auto and this makes for better vision while traveling. Because this truck is higher sitting in the event of flying objects while traveling at higher speeds on the highway it allows room for the object to miss hitting the front windshield. When I purchased it in 2013 I wish I had the running boards installed on the vehicle. This would make getting in and out of the truck easier for me since I am short.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My experience with the Silverado 2500HD is great. It is a well rounded vehicle that has all the features we need. It is perfect for our recreational needs as well as our pets. The main reason for the purchase is because it's a diesel and then the fact that it has a large interior crew cab. The length of the standard bed is good for loading up all of our gear. And it being a 4x4 was a must. I love everything about the truck. I'm sure my husband would love to improve some performance items to help the truck run more efficiently. But otherwise, we are very happy with it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4 with All Star package. I never had remorse for buying this truck. I saved for years to buy a truck and drove beaters till I saved enough. I wanted this truck when it hit the market and I had enough saved so I got one. I have a bad shake above 65-70 mph that was not apparent during my test drive where highway driving was done and wasn't noticed till I went on a 65 mph highway trying to do 70 mph after purchase. 98% of highways are 55 mph around here. When I have to travel the faster highways here, some days 65 is all I can get and some it will be fine up to 70 and then it can get rather violent. If I have a beverage that is open top like a can, it will spill all over the place at 70 mph if left in cup holder. If 70 mph is what all the traffic is travelling, I can just barely keep up some days and others I seem to be a nuisance to others switching lanes getting around me in slow lane.

I have replaced some items on my own since the dealer states my truck is normal. What a slap in the face huh? I have replaced the wheels, tires and shocks. I have balance beads for a 2500 in my tires now and that has helped. The 2-1 downshift and bump is not gas in tank. It is the transmission downshifting timing being off for the intended stop. Happens a lot in parking lots to me more so than red lights. Feels like I got tapped in rear just before stopping. For the affected, go do it with an almost empty tank on fumes and see how it still happens. When I replaced tires I went with a 33" and air pressure should be higher than door jamb pressure so that's something to consider. Low air pressure in tires was an issue I had since shop used jamb PSI for my tires and it caused a shake of its own, but I figured that out and it got me back to where I was which is no further than before.

Those of you with newer trucks should get a Range device. It keeps truck in V8 with no ill effect or warranty issue since no reprogramming is involved. Just unplug and everything is back to stock. Keeping V4 from happening will likely keep the valve failures at bay and install a catch can cause these 2014+ Silverado trucks are direct injected meaning gas doesn't wash the valves like most detergent gas is advertised to do. The PCV system feeds vapors back to the intake and cokes the valves cause no gas is washing them off. The catch can catches the vapors and they condense into liquid and stay out of intake keeping it cleaner for longer.

Requires periodic dumping, but valves stay cleaner longer. One may fight and say I shouldn't have to do that and I will agree, but not doing it is worse. Those hearing the tick tick tick are hearing the fuel pump. DI fuel pumps run at higher pressures and are noisy. I have tuned mine and made it better and easier to live with. Approx $4k to still have the same shake. This is the first GM truck I have owned. I won't buy another.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Purchased two brand new Silverados in August 2016: one is great - But the High Country has had the motor replaced at 100,000 km after numerous arguments with dealership and "unfortunate" road experiences... now, after 125,000 km injectors need replacement, wire- corrosion needs replacement!! Vehicle motor shuts down while driving in the road. I paid $70,000 for this vehicle and GM won't warranty these replacements! After 40 years of solid GM loyalty I am letting this "Lemon" go, and moving to another manufacturer - one which can produce with reliability and with some business ethics. BUYERS BEWARE!!! Zero concern from GM about your safety or your pocketbook!

Original review: May 4, 2018

Bought the 2009 Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8 truck 7 months ago with 88000 miles on it. Purchased a 6 month warranty from dealer. Lo and behold this week the truck started missing and knocking with a cylinder 1 misfire code. Took to shop, failed lifter in number 1 cylinder due to faulty DOD. Getting a new engine to the tune of 7000 dollars. Chevy knows about this issue and it's well documented. Truck only has 95000 miles on it and the needs a new engine. Never again Chevy.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 back in November of 2017. 3 months ago I’ve noticed my truck run rich on fuel. Seems like it’s lost some power. Also when truck goes into Econ 4 it loses power bad. Like if it’s real heavy Idk. Anybody with the same issue or can give me an advice on what to do? Any advice would really help.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I love 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD crew cab long box truck. I have 135,125 miles 1 trip to dealer for oxygen sensor and 1 glow plug at 92725 miles. Great MPG on trips and local. Pulls anything and wife likes to ride in it.

Original review: May 2, 2018

So shocked! BUYER BEWARE. I PURCHASED A NEW 2017 SILVERADO and when I come to a stop the gas slushes so bad that at times it sounds like I am being bumped from behind by another vehicle. I took the truck back- the service manager said, "So sorry- NOTHING can be done because there is no recall." He gave me a print out that states the 2016, 2017 and NOW THE 2018s. So BUYER BEWARE… GM KNOWS they are selling a vehicle that has a defect… This is wrong and very very deceptive. It is a 34 gallon tank and the first 17 GALLONS make the thumping noise… No more GM for me. Dealerships should be held accountable to make this known to the buyer BEFORE SELLING IT.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2016 Chevy Silverado - lack of power and 5.3 engine has fuel management system that goes from 8 cyl. To 4 automatically. Any time it is in 4 cyl. Mode It vibrates and transmission shudders. I brought back to dealership 4 times and they keep telling me that's the way it was designed. Contacted GM and were useless. Told me to take it to dealership and they would have someone there, never happened. Very unhappy. GM customer service was terrible.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Owned Chevy Silverado truck over 6 years and I change the oil every 3000 miles with synthetic. No issues whatsoever. The truck is a beast and Chevy is the way to go. Looking to buy another.

Original review: April 27, 2018

This pickup, Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton pickup, is a working truck that is all steel, long bed and is a 1998! Would not trade it for any of the new garbage on the market today! It's AWESOME!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

The Chevy Silverado does all that is expected. Great mileage for a truck and NEVER a repair. Best vehicle I have ever had in 45 years, will not consider others after having 2 of them (18 years).

Original review: April 18, 2018

Chevrolet Silverado 2011, still running strong. Great motor, 5.3 liter, positive traction rear end, smooth riding, well built, decent mileage, and pulls my trailers with no problems.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have over 100,000 miles on my Chevy Silverado and it is running perfectly. I have always kept up on the routine maintenance and oil changes. Great truck and I would buy another Silverado in the future!

Original review: April 16, 2018

In January of 2016 I traded my 2013 Chevy Silverado that had 106,000 on it for a brand new, 8 miles on it 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 all star addition with a 5.3L. As of 4/16/18 it has 87,000 on it. It has been a wonderful machine. It's a everyday work truck/daily driver. Haul equipment and going to see customers. Keep the truck looking excellent and had maintenance performed per what the book says. The only problem I keep having to this day is that the trailer plug and brake control don't always seem to connect with each other at times. Sometimes the lights work and no brakes or the other way around. I know it is not the trailer because on my old trailer had the electrical system gone through and also just got a new EBY car hauler and am still having the same problem.

No corrosion either. I have had the brake control module replaced once and that fixed it for a while and then it came back. But other than that it has been great. Averages 18.6 not towing a trailer on the highway with cruise set on 77 and around 15 in the city. It has a tonneau cover so that helps a little. Love the look the front end has. Wasn't a fan of the 15. Happy they changed it to what they have now. Rides great and is ready to work or crawl through a field whenever needed. Probably going to keep it until it strikes the 100,000 mark and then trade it. Used to be a Dodge and Ford guy but went out on a limb and bought an 05 GMC 1500 and have been GM guy ever since with a 07 Silverado, 11, 13, then this one. I run them all until around 100,000. Looking forward to seeing the 19 and all of the changes!

Original review: April 3, 2018

My 2016 Silverado has this Chevy shake. Where the whole cabin just vibrates like crazy around 65-75, brought it to my dealer and all they said it needed to be balanced. Doors won't unlock at random times. Battery leaving me stranded. When I took it to my dealer they said it was the alternator. And random noises when on the freeway and over bumps. Like REALLY! Truck is almost Brand new to have so many issues. And be paying 150 bucks for every diagnosis they perform. I'm done with Chevrolet for good.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Took my 2011 Silverado truck in for repairs for the second time in 2 years for same problem. #1 spark plug bad which they said was caused by excessive oil. Just had oil changed. I was told to drive truck when I get it back for oil consumption, that way they can contact GM about problem. Truck has only 73,000 miles and is in great shape. I will not buy another Chevy pick up again. The dash cracked under warranty and when I went to pick it up they had broke the windshield and I needed it replaced. Just got the phone call from dealer. I need to redo pistons and rings on truck and GM will not help in any way. That sealed the deal on why I will not buy another GM product.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I bought my 2017 Silverado in May. Utterly been a giant P.O.S. Severe shutter in transmission. Replaced torque converter... Then TCM. Still has a shutter/misfire feeling under load or cruising only in v8 mode. They said it was the gas. Changed gas stations. Went 8 different gas stations and 2200 miles... Still has misfire feeling dropped back off. 8 days later they said motor mounts was the cause. Wrong again. They did a tune up. Wrong again. WHAT'S NEXT. 6889 current miles. This truck gets TERRIBLE fuel mileage. Averages 10.3 mpg. If you tow something as simple as a 4wheeler it's even worse. They said it was buyer's remorse. Note I work for this dealership as a mechanic. Told boss keys are in it. He can drive it. Wish I kept my 245000 mile 05 F150. At least I knew that was worn out. If this is the best they got... Chevy is in trouble.

Original review: March 12, 2018

2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 52,976 miles. I am original owner and vehicle is well cared for. Had gas odor and dripping, as well as hesitation in starting. Vehicle was taken to and serviced at Whiteman Chevrolet in Glens Falls, NY. Their diagnosis was fuel pump rotted and leaking, and fittings rotted into plastic lines. They replaced fuel pump, lock ring, level sensor, and both lines off fuel pump. Total cost was $1318.11. When questioned how this could happen on a well cared for newish vehicle, their answer was corrosion from weather and road salt. I filed a complaint with GM Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. They assigned a case number and advisor to investigate.

Case Advisor Deanndra contacted me stating her findings were exactly that of Whiteman Chevy Service Center. She stated all the parts had been corroded from the road salt in my area. She stated, as did Whiteman Chevy Service Center, there are no other complaints of this nature on file. Nothing can be done until there are enough complaints on record to indicate this being a problem. GM Chevrolet has closed the case with no resolution in my favor. Disgusted with Whiteman Chevrolet, Glens Falls, NY and GM Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. Disappointed with this GM Chevrolet product.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I bought a Chevy Silverado 2013 and it's been a nightmare. First the door handle on right side broke. I find out it’s cheap plastic. After that the left side molding comes off and the right side molding is about to come off too. Unbelievable!?? Then the plastic knobs for my AC are fading. I will never buy a Chevy truck ever again. What a disappointment???

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I have owned this truck for over 10 years. I am very disappointed in the brakes. I have had to replace all the brake line from rust. The master cylinder has been replaced and the truck still does not stop. I hit a car and now my wife will not drive it. It is very unsafe. You can't get the anti-lock brakes to kick in. The truck keeps rolling. It is very scary feeling not being able to stop. The last time I hit the brakes hard the stuff in the back seat stayed on the seat and did not hit the floor. Please fix the brakes.

Chevrolet Silverado Company Information