Chevrolet Silverado

1,684people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Chevrolet Silverado:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Purchased 1 ton Chevy Pickup to pull 5th wheel rv. This vehicle has factory installed integrated braking system. The last three times pulling RV after two hours traveling the Trailer will bounce severely when brakes are applied on Truck. Feels like the truck is sending signals to truck to cause trailer to act like anti-lock brakes pulsating. Braking cause trailer to bounce. You have to remove foot off of truck brake to get it to stop. Trailer does not do this when pulled by other vehicles. Chevy will not admit there is a problem This is a hazardous issue as truck will not stop when this happens.

2014 Silverado A/C out - I bought this truck new and the a/c has gone out at 40,400 miles. Upon 5 mins of online research I see that this is a common problem among 2014-2015 GM trucks.

2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT - Purchased this vehicle a few months ago with 13000 miles on it. Been reading all the bad reviews and agree with quality problems. Owned a 2000 Silverado with 216000 miles never let me down. Think I've figured out what to do to help out with the idle and wired shifting and banging of gears with this questionable 6 speed tranny. Take total control of it by keeping it in manual 5 around town which keeps it from going into drop 4 cylinder mode and allows you to drive up to 50 mph without burning a lot of extra fuel.

Buy yourself a Range, plug it in for highway use only. Got a cold air intake and cut back duel exhaust - wow what a difference, well worth the money. Truck is way fun to drive. Am very impressed with the performance now. 5.3. Dropping 4 cylinders causes a lot of problems like oil disappearing. GM has no clue where it goes. l think that maybe the reason for rough idle maybe fouling spark plugs seems like my truck is doing so much better now. Seems like when slowing down and tranny gets between 3rd to 2nd gear giving it gas before the gear grabs causes the bang - just wait for the gear to grab and you can make that problem go away also. Modern technology oh boy!!! Hope this info helps you out.

As far as I'm concerned it's been a great truck, never done me wrong. Just as the ones before it from GM, we did have a problematic GMC Sierra but never had a bad Duramax Silverado. But this review is specifically about my current 2013, which has run great from the beginning. Now it's at the 87000km mark, a great portion of which has been spent towing a heavy trailer on rough gravel, which it does with competence. I know 87000 is relatively low... But I really can't see it going south on me in the future. And if it does, I will be doing a much different review.

My only gripes so far are the def fluid which is just a pain and as I've heard gives worse mileage. And I have the feeling it will have a conniption and screw up one day, it's bound to happen to me in the middle of nowhere and I'll be derated. This has happened to me with the one GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax that I mentioned earlier and I know it's happened to friends in the past with their Silverado's. Also it's the loudest GM I've even owned, a LOT of wind noise. Being that much wind noise I'd think it's got a poorly sealed cabin but it doesn't seem to have any water leakage around door and window seals so who knows... It was annoying at first but I got use to it.

Something else is the engine exhaust break that was a new feature in 2013, it doesn't work as well as I think it should - mostly it doesn't work at all in manual mode where I down shift on hills with a heavy load on, but it works quite well in automatic if you just wait and let the truck figure it out it comes on, eventually... But it takes its time. And the most current problem, which actually is a problem, a fault in the built in trailer brake control module. Even though I have no trailer plugged in it still is coming up with the message "Service trailer brake system." It's coming up so often it has actually become annoying. It's a false computer code that I'll have to get fixed. But it's no big deal when in comparison to how good it's been. That's it, good experience and no real complaints.

My 2008 Chev Silverado 1 ton diesel would shut down whenever it towed our 40' camper. It would never pull it when weather was over 85 degrees or up mountain roads. It would go into safe mode or shut down completely. One time it shut down on the road 100 miles from Rapid City and had to be towed back and they said the oil was dirty when the truck monitor system said it still had 30% left. The dealership said they don't believe in the truck monitoring system and I needed to change the oil more often, $300 dollars later on the road.

After 8 years of the problem the dealership suggested changing the injectors at my costs of $10,000 since it was now out of warranty. All mechanics said they had seen this problem many times but injectors were suggested only after the warranty and I would have to pay. They would always reset the code and say I was good to go and the truck would shut down again. The Chev diesel sucks and no one knows how to fix it so I'm now drive a F250 gas with its problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

January 16, 2015 I was involved in a car accident where I t-boned a mini van in my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. I wasn't at fault - the van failed to yield on a left hand turn. My speed was about 40 MPH straight into the van, both my airbags failed to deploy. Chevrolet investigated and said I wasn't braking hard enough before impact. I had no idea how hard I was braking would be a factor in my airbags deploying. I thought it depended on impact. Chevrolet says they aren't liable and won't accept fault. Why have airbags if they don't deploy upon impact. How many people have to get hurt before Chevrolet fixes the issue and accepts blame?

I have 2014 Chevy Silverado with 47 thousand miles, my ac compressor froze. You would think for 42 thousand dollars you be getting a good product.

I've owned GM vehicles for more than 15 years and have always had great experiences until getting my 2015 Chevy Silverado. The truck started vibrating at highway speeds, around 12,000 miles. I've brought it in for service multiple time, and the dealer can feel the same vibration, but do not know where it is coming from. They had a GM engineer drive the truck and after he rode in the truck he recommended changing the ring and pinion in the rear end to no avail. The truck still vibrates the same. I've contacted Chevrolet and have basically been told to deal with it, the truck is within specs. They are trying to bribe me with a 60 mos/75000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I asked them how does that fix the vibration problem. I was told if I do not take the warranty, they are closing the case. Extremely disappointed!

In or around November 2014 I purchased a new Chevy Silverado 3500. Right from the get go it had a slight lifter noise. Not bad enough to take in. Now with 19,000 miles on it, it getting consistent and I am getting the runaround - they are saying it is injector noise. Not what other dealers are saying it is - when they off me 5k off of what KBB says it should be worth. Very Frustrating.

Had this truck for 10 years and the frame is rotten. It makes no sense at all. We pull our camper with this we could have been killed. The place where the bumper is and where the towing gear goes was completely gone. Chevrolet should be ashamed.

My power steering failed after 4800 miles. Lucky I was not hurt. It happen all of a sudden. There is a recall on this item and supposedly it was done prior to this incident happening on 6\17\16.

Just bought new 2016 Silverado. It had 2 miles when I bought it. Started vibration with less than 400 miles. Why are they allow to sell a vehicle with known problems? I pay way too much to buy a lemon. Took it in and was told it had to have 500 miles in it before they would look at it because it's a known problem. If it's known they should know how to fix it and fix it no matter how many miles are on it. But it seems like they don't have a clue.

I bought a brand new Chevy Silverado. When I got it had 33 miles on it. Now it has like around 150 miles and it is sitting at the dealership because from a dead stop. It is sluggish, jump, bumps and takes off slow like the same problem Chris has from Florida. The dealership had it now since may 31 2016 and they have no idea what's wrong. They say gm is no help. If anyone had this problem and got it fixed please email me thanks.

Purchased two 2015 Chevy Duramaxes within a year of each other. Was really happy with its performance so that's why we bought the second one. We pull RVs for a living that's why we have so many miles on them. We were very adamant about changing the oil and servicing the trucks. Was pulling a small two axle 27' travel trailer through Indianapolis in cruise control at 55 mph when I heard what sounded like the engine was laughing so I took it out of cruise and that's when all hell broke lose. The engine started hammering very loudly. I knew immediately that it was done. As stated before never any problems. Write GM about problems and basically told "Sorry out of warranty." Now the second one is starting to making knocking noises at 107,000. I will never purchase another GM product again and I caution others. At 201,000 that Duramax motor should have just been breaking in. For the extra money a diesel costs you expect a longer life.

I traded in my 2013 Toyota Tundra (because of fuel mileage) and bought a new 2016 Silverado truck. No one at dealership told me or no disclosure that these trucks have a vibration issue! Seems like if a new item no matter what it is any problems (unresolved should be disclosed to customers). Well now I own the annoying vibrating truck--I'm not happy! I would have kept my old truck if I would have known about this issue. Seems to me there should be a disclosure about this issue before you buy the thing!!! I'm not happy with Chevy! I've recently lowered it and no change same issue vibrates!!! Beware of Chevy Silverados!!!

I purchased my new Chevy Silverado 1500 LT on February 25, 2916 and after one week of owning the truck it developed a small vibration and went to the shop for repair. They did a road force balance on the tires which made the vibration worse. So, back to the shop it went. Another tire balance and it didn't help. It went back to the shop for the third time and I was told there is nothing wrong with the truck. The service manager was very nice but told me he knows the truck has a vibration but there is nothing he can do to fix it. He said GM has problems. They know it but have not offered a fix. He said I would have to live with because that's what Chevy trucks do. Then he informed me of other problems, which I had noticed on a small scale. Problems with the transmission and electronics. My problem with GM is obvious, and I will never buy another GM product.

My problem with the dealer is they knew about the problems with the 2916 trucks and did not inform me of what to expect. They took my money knowing these trucks had problems. This is the fourth and last vehicle I have purchased from them. I traded the truck after only 2200 mile for a Dodge Ram, which I love! DON'T BUY A CHEVY SILVERADO.

I will never buy another GM/Chevrolet vehicle ever! The vehicles are cheaply made and no quality. And the customer care and making sure a customer is happy and satisfied, they are arrogant and do not care about the customers that buy their expensive vehicles. And the dealerships lie to loyal customers and cheat them on their trade-ins and service will lie right to your face and tell you nothing is wrong!!! When I take off work and wait for the issues to be repaired they come out to the waiting room and tell me the ticking noise is normal and they will do nothing. And they tell me the transmission not shifting properly is normal. Lies more lies and lie about lying! They lie to you before you buy the vehicle. They told me before I got the new truck they would put new all terrain tires on the new truck!! But after I get it they will not put new tires on the new truck.

They told me they would have a bed liner installed before I got the new truck but after I got the new truck they have not and will not install a bed liner! The dealership salesperson told me this truck gets 18 mpg city and 22 mpg highway. Another lie, this new truck gets 16 mpg city and 18 mpg highway! The salesperson told me this new truck has ON SCREEN MAPS AND NAVIGATION, IT DOES NOT, another LIE. They LIED about my trade-in. This new truck has less than 5000 very carefully driven miles and the transmission is not shifting properly! The motor has developed a very loud annoying ticking noise.

They never gave me the original second set of keys to a brand new truck. I went to the dealership many times and the owners would not show up to talk to me! I called and tried to talk to the owners. I emailed the owners to let them know how many lies I have been told and how I got cheated out of my trade-in and how unhappy and dissatisfied I am and have been, I even sent them a letter and they never respond!

Traded in my 2008 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab for a used 2015 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with 13,600 miles in Aug of 2015 at Auto Nation of Pembroke Pines FL. So far I have brought the truck in for service twice. The truck vibrates excessively at idle and transmission shifts erratically when accelerating from a full stop or changing lanes. The first time they found nothing wrong. The second time they informed me that they were aware of these problems as they had many customer complaints for these same issues. Was told that GM was redesigning the motor mounts to correct the vibration issue. As for the transmission was told this is "normal" (Definitely not normal)!!!

The dealership installed shims on the existing motor mounts to "try" and correct the vibration. The vibration and transmission problems still exist. I am very dissatisfied with the vehicle and the fact that GM can't seem to find a solution to correct this very common problem. Was told by the dealer that this issue is happening with 2014-2016 Silverado, Tahoe, and Suburban models. Very, very disappointing!!! Think twice if you are thinking of purchasing any of these model vehicles. I highly do not recommend it. You will be disappointed...

I purchased a 2014 Chevy Silverado, 1500-4WD pickup. I currently have less than 20,000 miles on the truck. I began having brake problems around November 2015. I carried the truck to a GM dealer on or about 1/8/2016. The brake problem was not corrected, so I contacted General Motors (Reference # **). I was assured the brakes would be repaired. I have contacted and attempted to contact GM many times, from 1/8/2016 through 3/4/2016. GM is refusing to accept my phone calls and is avoiding contact in an attempt to evade repair of my vehicle.

I was involved in a minor accident 3/11/2016. I reported this to GM. In attempting to remain personally safe and prevent further injury and possible property damage, I attempted to refrain driving the truck and requested a loaner or rental car, GM refused. I am now being forced to drive a vehicle, even though it is unsafe and a danger to myself and others. Be aware that General Motors is aware of my defective brake problem and is delaying to avoid repair.

The vehicle is still under warranty (Bumper to Bumper, less than 20,000 miles). GM refuses to honor their warranty to repair a covered brake problem. I was told, by GM they would not pay for my injury and it would require six (6) weeks to decide if they (GM) would repair the brakes. GM refuses to repair BRAKES. Please be aware of the lies and the many misrepresentations to avoid honoring their warranty.

The exterior chrome trim on my 2015 Chevrolet Silverado has deteriorated rapidly after only 20,000 miles. The local GM dealer's service manager has indicated he has had a large number of customers with the same problem, and he agrees it should be a covered issue, however, GM has said it is an "environmental" issue and is not covered. I traded in a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado with a very similar chrome trim package that did not have this amount of deterioration after 7 years and 150,000 miles, that had been driven in the same "environment". GM has simply made the exterior trim with chrome film on it, substantially cheaper, such that it does not stand up to normal driving conditions. While I have been a long time GM customer, I will never buy another GM product if they did not stand behind their products any better than this.

Bought a new 2016 Silverado 1500 from Dyer Chevrolet in Vero Beach, Florida. The truck has a transmission or communication problem between throttle and engine. It is sluggish, jumps, and basically runs pretty bad at a slow take off from a stop. They acknowledge there is a problem and the dealership refuses to fix it because GM has no solution . At this time I just want to give it back. Worst truck I have ever owned. Looks good runs like **.

GM states that your vehicle will stop if one of your brake lines fail. This is not the case! I parked my 2004 Silverado at work in the morning without any symptoms of a brake line leaking. When I left work that day, I started my vehicle, placed my foot on the brake pedal and it went to the floor. I had other vehicles that developed failing brake lines. They had dual master cylinders which allowed the vehicle to be driven to a place to be serviced. This was not the case with my 2004 Silverado.

As I left my parking space, I realized that I could go no faster than 5 or 10 miles per hour in order for my truck to slowly come to a stop. Once I finally came to a stop, I needed to place the transmission in neutral so it would not drift forward. My vehicle was then towed to a service center. Had this happened at a higher rate of speed, I would most definitely have been involved in an accident. Not all cars with hydraulic brake systems have the problem of losing their brakes completely. Why does GM?

I purchased a 2016 Silverado LTZ Z71 on April 11th and had to bring it back to the dealer because the cabin was vibrating when in idle at a stop light. The dealer was helpful and willing to trade me for another one. The replacement truck was worse than the original. Since I purchased the truck in Eufaula, AL during my military travel to Ft. Benning and I work in Florida I took it to the nearest Chevy dealership in Fort Walton, FL. The truck was vibrating in idle and the transmission slips gear during breaking and accelerating. I took it in for repair and when I got it back it did the same thing. I know the dealership had worked on it, because I saw them worked on it.

I called GM and I was pretty much told to bring it in for more repair. When I asked GM rep if they are willing to buys it back or trade for a new one, the delayed reply was pretty much a no. What I recommend people do is write to the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. If necessary, write to your Representative. Congress is supposed to work for the public. There are laws that protect consumers from faulty products such as this. I already wrote a complaint to the FTC and will be writing another one to the BBB. If more of us come together and force our government to do their job then future consumers will be protected.

GM receives corporate subsidies from the Feds each year. I am sure they don't want to loose that chunk of change. I am willing to go as far as filing a civil lawsuit against GM. FYI: Check where your Chevy is assembled. If it is in Mexico, stay away. That's what happen when corporation outsourced to save money. The two trucks I have problems with were both assembled in Mexico.

I have owned a 2007, 2003, 2000 Silverados 5.3 4x4 (all used). I buy my first new vehicle a 2015 Silverado 5.3 4x4 (all automatics). Transmission upshifts when it should downshift causing the truck to pause when changing lanes in traffic and almost causing a crash. Between 2nd and 4th gears it will shutter feeling like a cylinder miss. I have taken to Hamm Chevy in Jax. FL. Service manager quickly dismisses problem without much investigation and retries again with a total of 34 mile test drive. I then take him for a ride. He feels the problem and says turn around and get transmission mechanic. Transmission guy says his truck does the same thing and G.M. cannot or will not fix it. He says it would void warranty if he altered it. So the service manager writes on invoice "operating as designed." So I'm stuck with a piece of junk that cost $45,000.00 with only 4,400 miles. Be very cautious when buying a 2015 Silverado with a six speed transmission.

I am a 4 time Chevy Silverado owner (1997, 2009, 2012, 2015) and have always been a fan. I purchased my 2015 on 12/23/15. I test drove the truck on roads under 50 mph. After the purchase, I noticed vibrations in the steering wheel and rear view mirror at highway speeds. I contacted my dealer and they said that sometimes the vehicles get flat spots in the tires and asked me to drive it for 500 miles. The vibration continued. I brought in into the dealer on 2/17/16 at 1302 miles. They performed a "road force balance".

The status on my invoice states "condition has been reduced." I put ~5000 miles on the truck during March (mostly highway). The vibration is back in the steering wheel. I have also noticed terrible performance with the transmission combined with the new "engine brake" feature they added in 2013. The transmission is often "confused" and has very aggressive downshifts. I was recently coasting from a 50 mph zone into a 35 mph zone (without braking) and the truck made a loud thud and jerked. I brought the truck back to the dealer. I stated my concerns with the vibration and transmission (which perhaps are related). I am very disappointed with this truck so far. If I could travel back to 12/23/15 and drive home in my 2012, I would.

Last June 2015 I purchased a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab 2WD. I currently have 10,000 miles. I have spoken to service several times about a vibration when I drive over 70 MPH and when I stop at a traffic signal when coming off the interstate. The dealer balanced the wheels twice, once last week and the problem is still there. I spoke to Service Manager and he stated that he has done numerous repairs to these trucks with no success at correcting the vibration. My 2014 had the same issue and I even replaced the tires and had no luck. What's the deal? This is a lot of crap. I have been driving Silverado's and Corvettes for over 40 years. Never had a problem like this. What's the solution? It's a great truck except for this issue.

I just bought a 2016 Silverado LT2 and I've put a lot of money into this truck with GM parts. And this truck is jerking and hard shifts and hard downshifts. It's like the transmission can't decide what's 1st or 2nd gear and it shifts crazy. My wife hates this truck and I have over 2000 members at my church (freedom of speech).

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado z71. Have a braking issue! So far I have replaced: all the brake lines, all four rotors: master cylinder, 4 sets of pads. Replaced all the brake fluid twice! The issue is the brake pedal will go to the floor slowly, on a hard stop, it will stop but slowly and not even close to the stopping distance that it should or used to. The pedal is very mushy! P.S. I removed the ABS fuse when I bought the truck in 2006 & I tapped two vehicles in wet weather. So I yanked the fuse, and no longer have had any issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I traded in a truck at Hubler Chevrolet and got cheated and lied to about everything. First of all they cheated me out of my trade in value. The new car sales manager told me he would put new all-terrain tires on the new 4x4 truck that I was going to get. After I got the new truck he would not put new tires on the truck. The salesperson told me the new truck had on-screen maps and navigation. It does not. The window sticker advertised this new truck to get 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway. This new truck get 14 mpg city and 18 mpg. This new truck has developed a loud ticking noise. It did not have that noise when I test drove it.

Hubler or Chevrolet will do nothing to help with the issues. I have been to the dealership many times. They will do nothing. The new car sales manager told me he would install a truck bedliner and never has. The dealership never gave me the original second set of keys. The transmission is not shifting properly. Hubler will do nothing and Chevrolet will do nothing. I have owned Chevrolets my whole life. This is the worse experience ever. I have emailed the owners. No reply. I have called the owners. No return calls. I have even sent them a letter and no reply.

Took over three weeks to get a response for GM customer service. I received a letter today in the mail. They have been trying to contacted me. I call the number. My claim was not even open yet. The field rep has not even seen my claim. Within one hour and fifteen min my claim was denied. It was from some brake fluid they said. This truck is a 2013. Has less than 21000 miles on it. Brakes have never been worked on. The paint is messed up on the passenger side. It has a dozen or so spots that look like cauliflower coming throw the paint. No it is not stone chips. I just don't understand in three weeks they can make a decision in less than two hours. I have been a loyal GM guy for year. This is the second time I have had paint issues. I hope this don't end up like my van. I have pic and will be keeping up on the pics every year.

It just makes me sick. I keep this truck in the garage. The first two years it did not even see the snow. Never drove it in the winter. Till this year. I got this truck to pull my trailer. I will be calling back to customer service even though I don't think I will get anywhere with them. I guess being a loyal customer don't mean anything to people and companies anymore.