Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.77/5

Chevrolet Silverado

The Chevrolet Silverado is a full-size pickup truck. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

782 Chevrolet Silverado Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 is approximately 3 months old with 5,000 miles. The vehicle was sluggish to start but eventually turned over on Sunday 11/4/18. The next day, Monday 11/5/18, the vehicle had full electrical power but wouldn't turn over. Vehicle was towed to the dealership it was purchased from and I was told it was a bad fuel pump which was replaced under warranty. On Wednesday 11/7/18, I was driving my vehicle to work and while on the highway my engine died. I had complete electrical power but no ability to accelerate. Nothing makes you pucker up like cars coming up on you at 70 miles an hour and you can't accelerate. I was very fortunate that I was not rear ended and that my children were not in the vehicle as I sometimes drop them off at daycare in the morning. I was able to get to the shoulder of the road where the vehicle wouldn't start.

Vehicle was towed back to the dealership for the second time in a week. I received a call that evening that the Engine Control Module was bad and the vehicle should be repaired on 11/8/18. Who knows how much damage a faulty ECM has done to any other systems. Previous to this vehicle I owned a Toyota 4Runner that I traded in at 10 years old and 170,000 miles. The vehicle never showed a check engine light or had to be towed. I miss my Toyota. This will most definitely be the last Chevrolet product that I purchase.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM CHEVY/GMC!!! I’m backing down my driveway at 5:30 am (which is on a hill) and to my surprise my brake pedal won’t budge. I roll all the way down my driveway into my neighbor’s yard until my emergency brake finally stops me. There is a TSB bulletin about this issue which involves 4 parts and costs $2000. Chevy is well aware of this issue. When I called the customer service line all they wanted to talk about is a warranty which only goes to 36000 miles. My truck is a well maintained 77,000 miles. By the way this particular TSB is not only for Silverados, but for Suburbans, Escalades, and MANY others. The bottom line is there is a braking system failure which Chevy knows about but is unwilling to do anything about. I remember now why I quit buying from this awful company, I’m going back to a Tundra.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I don’t get why this issue is not more public, I bought 2018 Silverado Special Edition $70K which also vibrates. In 4WD or AWD from 90 and up is not driveable. GM solution is to just not drive in AWD highway speeds. I Live in CANADA so that’s a joke on me then. It sits in my driveway. Other than that great truck. My 2012 2500 HD is a dream to drive so I use that hoping for a fix. This should be a much more public issue.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I bought a brand new 2016 Chevy Silverado and right away noticed the paint chipping off on all sides, up on top of hood, on the front and sides. Ridiculous. Called dealer and they said that wasn't covered. Now I have owned it for 2 years and I stopped at a store to park and the steering stiffened and lost my brakes. They are saying it's a vacuum. Had to tow it. And my transmission also seems confused when I step hard on gas. Sometimes it jumps forward into gear in traffic. Not too happy...

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado. I love the look and the way it drives but there is this one problem that seems like Chevy can't figure it out. GMC is aware of it but seems like they just want to brush it under the rug kind of deal. But anyways my truck just made a year in May and I DID a full service rotate tires and also oil change. Drove it home and a few days later my driver side wheel area makes this annoying ticking sound every time I make right sharp turns like example pulling in to my parking stall. The ticking sounds gets louder the more you drive it. I have took it to Chevy multiple times. At first they thought it was the hug nut. Nope. That got replaced and still got the ticking sound. Then GMC said Cutter Chevy stripped the inside of my rim where the bolts go and that was a no go. Replaced all 4 rims and she still makes that ticking sound.

I am a very frustrated customer who has a new truck and is very embarrassed driving this new Chevy truck that makes such loud noise. My truck has been in the dealership at least 8 times. I hope they can figure this out because honestly I feel like Chevy sucks now and needs to put more work on their Chevy Silverado trucks before putting it out there stating it's a good running truck when they have these problems and can't figure it out. Apparently I was told I'm not the first customer to have this problem so like I said Chevy is aware but they giving me the runarounds.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Silverado?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Leasing a 2017 Silverado with the 5.3 with fuel management. When I first got it I noticed that the truck seemed confused at times as into what gear it should of been in which made the truck shift hard. If I try to pass a vehicle when I'm going approximately 30 mph and slam on the gas the truck seems like it gasps for air. Took it to the dealer they said it was normal, called Chevy and they told me they had never heard of such a thing. Hard to believe since I found a bunch of blogs about the same issue.

Lately when I back out of my driveway it sound like the spare bounces around but it's tight. Decided to rock the truck side to side and it sound like the axle is tapping in the rims. Again took it in. I was told it had to do with the leaf springs. They supposedly fix it, the next day it was doing the same thing. Took it back then I was told that it was normal because of the way the truck is built. I have 2 years left on my lease and I'm not sure if I'll make without looking my cool about this POS. Needless to say I'm not happy.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

This was my favorite truck. If I had gotten a v8 I would still have it today. In fact the only reason I sold it was because I got a phenomenal lease deal on a Sierra Denali. I put 46k on this truck driving for work in Houston, and it ran great. I got the v6 version because it got better fuel mileage ratings than the V8, and I would routinely get 24 to 26mpg. The paint on this truck chipped easily. The engine had pretty noticeable lifter ticking but that never seemed to affect its function. The exterior design of the 14 and 15 Silverados is beautiful and reminiscent of the ones made in the mid 80s. The 14 and up trucks are well finished on the inside and use durable materials. They are also very quiet while driving.

My main complaint with the v6 of that year model was that at idle there was a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel. Other than that, it was capable of doing every job that I asked it to. I moved twice with this truck and hauled innumerable trailers and home improvement equipment. I would personally recommend getting the v8 over the v6 as it does run smoother and has more power, but the v6 is a very capable and thrifty engine that was totally reliable while I owned it. I wish GM had not changed the truck's appearance so quickly and I still prefer the 14 and 15 Chevrolet style over the later ones.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I bought a brand new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 that’s black. The paint chips easily, is checking out, and look like it’s gonna bubble on the hood. Checking out thru out the vehicle. It’s always been garaged when not in use. Took it to the local Lithia and it didn’t sound would do much since it’s past 36000 miles. The truck now has 48000. In my opinion since the truck is only three years old it shouldn’t be doing this. Probably won’t by Chevy now again.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado that just past paint warranty. Just bought this truck and noticed on the roof the paint is bubbling and corroding. Called GM. They did not want to cover all of it. This is very poor craftsmanship. Their corrosion warranty in fine detail means it has to be rusted through. What a joke. I understand that these are mass produced but at least take care of the customer within reasonable matter. GM has had nothing but issues with their paint, going off consumer reviews. I have owned these pickups my whole life, and can't believe they don't stand behind their work.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Just like thousands of other customers, the a/c condenser just leaked out all my refrigerant. It’s a new truck (2015 Silverado). The shop wants too much to fix it. I’m pulled over on the side of the road in a thunderstorm because the windows will not unfog. My child has asthma and it is 88 degrees in the car. There have also been other recalls to include seatbelt and tow hitch. I will never buy another Silverado and I am spreading this message all over social media since Chevrolet does not want to address all of us loyal customers. I am going to CarMax to get a Ford.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I love the Chevy Silverado! I wanted it because of the room it had. I could haul things plus it had the extended cab so I would still be able to take my grandchildren if necessary. It also was a 1500 series made without carpet which I loved so spills would not be soaked into any carpet. If I had to improve anything it would be to put a better heater button in the truck. I have had mine replaced and it only lasted a few weeks and had stopped working again.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It's a useful work-horse vehicle with a sharp appearance, decent mileage and wonderful technology. The steering controls make it easy to quickly flip through the menu to access information like gas mileage or even phone contacts (when stuck) and it pulls the trailer like a dream. I like the features especially the technology. One minor feature are the dual climate controls which is really great especially when on a long drive! Easy to drive, comfortable, nice looking. Also, my husband is a Chevy man and wouldn't really consider anything else. I really love the backup camera and Bluetooth features! Very accommodating and nice Dealership too. On the downside, I don't care for the stereo system which I find unwieldy to use easily.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Smooth ride and enough room for everyone. It hauls everything we need easily and has a good tow package. It also looks very inviting and pretty then its interior is very spacious and easy to clean. And it has good gas mileage. But maybe it could come with running boards as factory item already on it. Otherwise, very good and would purchase again.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The Chevrolet Silverado is very roomy. This is a crew cab truck and has extra room in both the front and back seats, which is one of the reasons we purchased it. It has great miles per gallon and it handles very well while driving it. I like that it has a backup camera on the screen. It is very comfortable to ride in. You can answer your phone or make phone calls thru the dashboard screen. Also, we liked the style and color of the vehicle. It has everything on it that I want in a vehicle.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I am the owner of a 2002 Chevy Silverado pickup truck with 136,000 miles. While driving through town in the morning rush hour traffic I pulled off at gas station. I went in for a few items, got back in my truck and was going to pull back out into traffic when the brake pedal went to the floor. I had to ease my way over to the side of the drive. Got out of the truck and found brake fluid leaking from underneath. I had the truck towed to a local garage. They found the brake line under the driver side had completely rusted through and also found several more rusted areas in the line. Cost to install new brake lines $472.00 plus a tow bill. Luckily it happened when I wasn’t in traffic. I would have definitely rear ended someone.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The truck drives well to any destination and pulls well. It's a nice looking truck and my husband loves the vehicle. We adore it. It is an extremely reliable vehicle that helps us reach our desired destination. I like the parking assist and the beauty of the vehicle plus the color and the style of the vehicle and its utility. But the upholstery is poor quality. The paint scratches easily so we have to be careful with it. Better paint and upholstery would be better. It tore not long after we owned it and it was hard to get the dealership to fix it.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We only buy Chevrolet and our truck is a 2008 model. It came with a tow package which was a must for our camper. The heated seats are important for us due to back problems. It doesn't set up too high so it's easy for me and my elderly aunt to get in and out of it. Other than changing oil and small maintenance we have never had any trouble with it. It's decent on gas, rides great, has power windows, power steering, and four wheel drive. Excellent in the snow. However, I wish the seats reclined a little more. My husband would like to have a soft shell tonto cover instead of the hard casing. The automatic door locks are nice but the passenger lock is broken and makes a loud noise.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Chevy trucks are great. I had a Ford truck once and it was great too, but this one had all the features I wanted so I bought it. I like the radio flicker on the steaming wheel and I chose the truck because it was on the lot with features I like. I love that it had included up high on the top on star thing and it was really handy and I used it all the time. But, then a terrible thing happened, they took it out after a year because it wasn't free after that. Running boards are junk and I would of course, change those out immediately, but unfortunately, I can't do that immediately because the truck is already so expensive. I can't afford to change them out.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I like my 2000 Chevrolet Silverado purchased in 2011. It handles well, a nice smooth ride & I like the height to see better than you can in a car. I like the color and the push button 4 wheel drive. I love the 4 wheel drive for winter weather. It is great for hauling groceries & garage saleing, I like the extended cab far more than I could have imagined. However, I don't like the repair cost on 4 wheel drive, it seems a bit expensive yet cheaper than replacing. It is a gas hog but effective for my area which is very rural and in the winter town is a long way & generally a nasty drive.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The 2013 Chevy Silverado is a very comfortable riding truck for highway or long trips. This truck includes a back seat for additional storage or passengers the truck bed allows space for moving or picking up of items for your home. It sits up higher than your average auto and this makes for better vision while traveling. Because this truck is higher sitting in the event of flying objects while traveling at higher speeds on the highway it allows room for the object to miss hitting the front windshield. When I purchased it in 2013 I wish I had the running boards installed on the vehicle. This would make getting in and out of the truck easier for me since I am short.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My experience with the Silverado 2500HD is great. It is a well rounded vehicle that has all the features we need. It is perfect for our recreational needs as well as our pets. The main reason for the purchase is because it's a diesel and then the fact that it has a large interior crew cab. The length of the standard bed is good for loading up all of our gear. And it being a 4x4 was a must. I love everything about the truck. I'm sure my husband would love to improve some performance items to help the truck run more efficiently. But otherwise, we are very happy with it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4 with All Star package. I never had remorse for buying this truck. I saved for years to buy a truck and drove beaters till I saved enough. I wanted this truck when it hit the market and I had enough saved so I got one. I have a bad shake above 65-70 mph that was not apparent during my test drive where highway driving was done and wasn't noticed till I went on a 65 mph highway trying to do 70 mph after purchase. 98% of highways are 55 mph around here. When I have to travel the faster highways here, some days 65 is all I can get and some it will be fine up to 70 and then it can get rather violent. If I have a beverage that is open top like a can, it will spill all over the place at 70 mph if left in cup holder. If 70 mph is what all the traffic is travelling, I can just barely keep up some days and others I seem to be a nuisance to others switching lanes getting around me in slow lane.

I have replaced some items on my own since the dealer states my truck is normal. What a slap in the face huh? I have replaced the wheels, tires and shocks. I have balance beads for a 2500 in my tires now and that has helped. The 2-1 downshift and bump is not gas in tank. It is the transmission downshifting timing being off for the intended stop. Happens a lot in parking lots to me more so than red lights. Feels like I got tapped in rear just before stopping. For the affected, go do it with an almost empty tank on fumes and see how it still happens. When I replaced tires I went with a 33" and air pressure should be higher than door jamb pressure so that's something to consider. Low air pressure in tires was an issue I had since shop used jamb PSI for my tires and it caused a shake of its own, but I figured that out and it got me back to where I was which is no further than before.

Those of you with newer trucks should get a Range device. It keeps truck in V8 with no ill effect or warranty issue since no reprogramming is involved. Just unplug and everything is back to stock. Keeping V4 from happening will likely keep the valve failures at bay and install a catch can cause these 2014+ Silverado trucks are direct injected meaning gas doesn't wash the valves like most detergent gas is advertised to do. The PCV system feeds vapors back to the intake and cokes the valves cause no gas is washing them off. The catch can catches the vapors and they condense into liquid and stay out of intake keeping it cleaner for longer.

Requires periodic dumping, but valves stay cleaner longer. One may fight and say I shouldn't have to do that and I will agree, but not doing it is worse. Those hearing the tick tick tick are hearing the fuel pump. DI fuel pumps run at higher pressures and are noisy. I have tuned mine and made it better and easier to live with. Approx $4k to still have the same shake. This is the first GM truck I have owned. I won't buy another.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Purchased two brand new Silverados in August 2016: one is great - But the High Country has had the motor replaced at 100,000 km after numerous arguments with dealership and "unfortunate" road experiences... now, after 125,000 km injectors need replacement, wire- corrosion needs replacement!! Vehicle motor shuts down while driving in the road. I paid $70,000 for this vehicle and GM won't warranty these replacements! After 40 years of solid GM loyalty I am letting this "Lemon" go, and moving to another manufacturer - one which can produce with reliability and with some business ethics. BUYERS BEWARE!!! Zero concern from GM about your safety or your pocketbook!

Original review: May 4, 2018

Bought the 2009 Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8 truck 7 months ago with 88000 miles on it. Purchased a 6 month warranty from dealer. Lo and behold this week the truck started missing and knocking with a cylinder 1 misfire code. Took to shop, failed lifter in number 1 cylinder due to faulty DOD. Getting a new engine to the tune of 7000 dollars. Chevy knows about this issue and it's well documented. Truck only has 95000 miles on it and the needs a new engine. Never again Chevy.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 back in November of 2017. 3 months ago I’ve noticed my truck run rich on fuel. Seems like it’s lost some power. Also when truck goes into Econ 4 it loses power bad. Like if it’s real heavy Idk. Anybody with the same issue or can give me an advice on what to do? Any advice would really help.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I love 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD crew cab long box truck. I have 135,125 miles 1 trip to dealer for oxygen sensor and 1 glow plug at 92725 miles. Great MPG on trips and local. Pulls anything and wife likes to ride in it.

Original review: May 2, 2018

So shocked! BUYER BEWARE. I PURCHASED A NEW 2017 SILVERADO and when I come to a stop the gas slushes so bad that at times it sounds like I am being bumped from behind by another vehicle. I took the truck back- the service manager said, "So sorry- NOTHING can be done because there is no recall." He gave me a print out that states the 2016, 2017 and NOW THE 2018s. So BUYER BEWARE… GM KNOWS they are selling a vehicle that has a defect… This is wrong and very very deceptive. It is a 34 gallon tank and the first 17 GALLONS make the thumping noise… No more GM for me. Dealerships should be held accountable to make this known to the buyer BEFORE SELLING IT.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2016 Chevy Silverado - lack of power and 5.3 engine has fuel management system that goes from 8 cyl. To 4 automatically. Any time it is in 4 cyl. Mode It vibrates and transmission shudders. I brought back to dealership 4 times and they keep telling me that's the way it was designed. Contacted GM and were useless. Told me to take it to dealership and they would have someone there, never happened. Very unhappy. GM customer service was terrible.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Owned Chevy Silverado truck over 6 years and I change the oil every 3000 miles with synthetic. No issues whatsoever. The truck is a beast and Chevy is the way to go. Looking to buy another.

Original review: April 27, 2018

This pickup, Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton pickup, is a working truck that is all steel, long bed and is a 1998! Would not trade it for any of the new garbage on the market today! It's AWESOME!!

Chevrolet Silverado Company Information