2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

The Chevrolet Malibu was manufactured and marketed from 1964-1983 and again from 1997 until present. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Chevy Malibu Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Have had a Chevy Malibu LTZ for 5 years. Great looking car and can outrun most foreign crap on the street. I have always bought American and the quality can match any foreign competitors. Buy American folks.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Traded in my Monte Carlo for a 2018 Malibu. I rented several cars to compare to the Malibu before purchasing. The Altima was a piece of junk compared to the Malibu. I'm on a budget, so I purchased the base model. This car has more features than anything I've ever driven. It even has a sensor to tell you something is on the backseat when you close the door. Went on vacation in it with the family. Five of us in that car for 4300 miles and everyone was mostly happy with the ride. Great as mileage, very comfortable and the trunk is large. Being able to turn OnStar on and off is great also. Used it as a mobile hotspot on vacation, but don't need it for commuting. No problem, they turn it off and the billing stops. Brought it to the dealer for an oil change expecting to pay $60 or more .. It was $30.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I purchased a 2017 Chevy Malibu 1LT with 1.5 motor. We have about 25000 miles on car. We have had no problems with car, it's very comfortable to drive. It's just got enough power but not fast. Wife loves the car. I have not had any of the issues your other readers have had with water. So far seems like good car.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT Overview - I have owned my Chevy Malibu for about a year now and I could not be more pleased with my purchase. I bought my Malibu as a used car with a rebuilt title when it had almost 14,000 miles on it. The title was rebuilt because the car had some front-end damage that was caused and repaired by the previous owner. So far, I have drove my Malibu about 20,000 miles and have not encountered any issues other than some minimal hail damage.

Technology - The interior of the car is very sharp and simple, which I love. Unlike most new cars on the market, the Chevy Malibu does not have a ton of little buttons that can confuse and distract some drivers while on the road. The Malibu has a clear and easy-to-use touchscreen that handles most of your needs, including; voice commands, Bluetooth music, GPS navigation, and much more. My favorite thing about this touchscreen is the Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto feature. This feature allows anyone to plug in their Apple or Android smartphone into one of the six available USB ports/outlets and automatically display their phone’s navigation, music, and much more.

Interior - When I first bought my Malibu, I was a little spectacle about the black leather seats that it came with since I had never owned a car with leather seats before. It did not take me long at all to adjust to the leather and now I wouldn’t trade them for any other kind of seat. They are much easier to keep clean compared to cloth seats and the seat warmer is a tremendous plus during the winter. Another great part about the interior of the Malibu is the amount of room the driver and each passenger has. The Malibu is one of the most spacious sedans on the market right now.

Engine - The most important part of a car is its engine, and I have never drove a car with a more fun and efficient one as my Malibu. With a 1.5-liter turbo engine, you can expect to get around 27 miles per gallon in town and up to 37 on the highway, while enjoying the impressive acceleration and speed that the turbo provides. Although the Malibu is two-wheel drive, I have had no problems driving in the harsh winters of Iowa. Conclusion - I would recommend a Chevy Malibu to anyone looking for an affordable, efficient, and great-looking vehicle. This car truly has all the features a driver would ever need and want, at a price that is much lower than most of its competitors with the same features.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Bought 2018 Chevy Malibu in August of 2018. In October of 2018 the first recall. Then the loud bass comes from trunk (took to dealership 2x for this until it was fixed). Then engine light comes on. The car won't go any faster when you give it gas. Service stability track, low fuel, steering assist is reduced, lights come in. While it's parked & I'm trying to turn it off it says shift to park. Try to crank it & it won't. Get out of car, set alarm & it cranks up (I don't have remote start). I've brought it to dealership 2x before for this. 1st time it wasn't even in the computer that it was fixed. 2nd time it was actually reprogrammed & worked for a couple of months then the car went berserk again – same thing! I'm at the dealership again to see what the problem is. Car has less than 10000 miles on it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Malibu?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I bought my 2011 Chevy Malibu when it had 20,000 miles on it. This car has been nothing but a money pits. Dies in the middle of the road. The dealer nor any other shop can find the problem. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A CHEVY!!!! THESE CARS ARE JUNK!!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I purchased my 2017 Chevy Malibu new in August of 2017. My problems started on the 25th of August 2019 with 23904 miles on it. The anti traction light came on along with the check engine light. Then within minutes, A "engine is reducing power" message was displayed then the refuse to go over 30 miles an hour. Took to AutoNation for repairs.. On May 25th 2019, with 27682 miles on it, my Malibu broke down again for the same exact problem. It took AutoNation, 2 weeks to repair the car. Then on November 19, 2019 with 33772 miles on it, my Chevy Malibu broke down again for the same reason. I am so disappointed in my Chevy Malibu. I cannot wait to trade it in.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

My 2008 Malibu was totaled when someone hit us from behind. We were very lucky. Well I decided it saved our lives and it was a great car that I wanted another one so I purchased a new 2018 Malibu in Feb. 2019. It won’t get and go at a dead stop. It creeps. I’m afraid to pull in traffic and out of my neighborhood. I’m afraid I’m gonna get in an accident! Recall that is out says a light comes on. Mine doesn’t come on. They should be Ashamed of themselves!!!! How long before their consciences going to start bothering them. All of the reports out should really spark a fire before someone gets hurt. Not when lives are taken or affected. Do the right thing and fix these cars please!!!! I depended on them selling me a reliable car not a death trap!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I bought a 2017 Chevy Malibu premier with all the upgrades in November of ‘17. Since then it has been issue after issue. Issue with hitting gas and car not accelerating. Service bulletin on that one. Fixed. Front parking sensors always going off so I have to disable. Dealership “can’t duplicate”. Seal around sunroof visibly not secure. Lining slipping out where meets plastic parts of car. Water leaking into passenger side leg area. This was a broken air conditioning box. Now I look in trunk because I got a flat tire and I have 2” of water in wheel well. I personally will never buy a Chevy ever again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

This is my second 2018 Chevy Malibu with issues. The first one keep throwing error messages about reduced engine power. After vehicle was in shop for over a week the dealership gave me the option of getting another one from their inventory. Had the second one for just over two months and it started loosing power when accelerating. I was going 55mph down the road and lost all acceleration power. I have the vehicle parked now and will not drive until I find out from dealership my recourse for this issue. Very disappointed and don't like feeling unsafe in my vehicle.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Chevy Malibu Company Information