Chevy Malibu
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Chevy Malibu

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

564 Chevy Malibu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I bought my 2014 Chevy Malibu lt 9/11/2015. The vehicle had about 30 thousands miles on it. It is now been 2 years and my engine is already going out, right after I got to 130k miles. I constantly get my vehicle checked every 1-2 months and no one has ever said there was a problem. All of a sudden about 2 days ago my check engine light came on and it also started flashing out of nowhere. Next day I took the car to the nearby GMC dealership and they told me I’m going to have to replace my whole engine, which will cost $7000 out of pocket. 2014 was suppose to be General Motors best year for vehicles. I do work for the General Motors company and I’m very upset. I love my car and it was my very first car. I really hope GM will go ahead and replace for me, even though I’m over warranty terms. I honestly do think that I just got a bad engine from the supplier.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I bought my new 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid in Dec. 2016. First owner never owned a hybrid before, but I thought I would give it a try. In Sept. as I was driving on freeway at 65-70 mph in traffic the car stalls and says something like reduce engine speed and car is slowing down. I was pressing gas pedal and nothing, then it says put in park. I couldn't put it in park as there were cars speeding past me as I was trying to get over to exit as I was in center lane. I put on the hazards and coasted towards the off ramp praying I wasn't rear ended in the process. I made it to off ramp. Luckily it was downhill as car was dead and barely coasting as I made to side street. However it was in a very rough part of town I would normally avoid. Where I finally stopped was not in a very safe place so I tried to restart it once It was stopped and it moved a little further then stalled again.

I had AAA, so I called them to come get me because it was on the weekend. After sitting for a while the car started and made it up on the tow truck. But after that harrowing experience I was very nervous of driving it at all not knowing when it was going to die on me again. Monday I called a nearby Chevy dealership for service and they had it towed to service dept. On Tuesday they said my car was ready and I could come get it as they reprogrammed something on it and said it was fine. They drove it 30 or so miles and didn't do it again. So I went to pick it up and was waiting and waiting for them to bring me my car, when service adviser told me they would put me in another loaner, that my car stalled on them as they were bringing it up so they were going to keep it again. 3 days later they call me and tell me the transmission needs replacing.

Keep in mind you when this happened my car only had a little over 5k miles on it. I never drive it hard or anything, just normal driving. This should not be happening to a new car with very little miles on it. I don't know if I can ever feel comfortable driving this car after this. Not knowing when it is suddenly going to die on me. I think Chevrolet needs to do a recall on these cars. After reading others are experiencing same type of issue with these cars.

I think something is seriously wrong with them. They are going to have a lot of lawsuits if people end up getting killed or seriously injured from this problem. This is a life or death problem with car suddenly dying while you're driving it. I definitely don't trust it anymore. It's not like your radio or window not working. I have owned Chevy vehicles my whole life and never had anything like this with any of the others. I am very disappointed in Chevrolet's quality control on this vehicle. I will update later what happens. Right now I think I would prefer a different car.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I bought my 2016 Chevy Malibu on March 31, 2017 used with roughly 9000 miles on it. By June one night when I was headed home my car lost power and I looked at my gauges and it said reduced power and the check engine light was on. Called the dealer and they sent a truck to pick it up. Truck driver said, "Yup the check engine light is still on."

Next day the dealer called and they said there wasn't anything they could verify. We had bought the car so we could travel and had plans to go. Knowing that the car had done what it did and I didn't trust it not to happen again we took our camper on our trip. Then we rented a car because it's not that easy to run around with a camper once you reach your destination. Get back home and drive car roughly a couple hundred miles and the same thing happens. Before we take it to the dealer again we check to see if there is a code on the car. There was. When we go to the dealers they say, "Oh that's the same code that was on there last time." What? I thought they said there was no code. Never gave me paperwork the first time. Make sure you always get paperwork.

So after a few days go by they say they fixed the problem by replacing the gas pedal with a new one. I thought ok, sounds good. Finally dared to travel some distance. Put a few thousand more miles on the car, traveled 5 different states in 1 weekend with some relatives and thought things were fixed. Wrong. By the first few days in August we needed to travel again to meet a deadline. The very day we were going to head out the car started to shake. Took car to dealer. Told them we needed a car to travel with and they said we could not take one of their cars out of state. Waited till late the next day to see if we had a car to take. Received call from dealer, said, "You have major damage to your motor." At that time they said pistons and rings. Then they said we could take their car but we didn't.

Came back 10 days later and never heard a thing. Went to dealers and they gave us a car to use. A few weeks later we are told the car needs a new motor. We needed to travel again and got permission to take loaner car. Today is Sept 20. My car has been there for about 6 weeks this time around. Don't want car back because I won't be able to trust it.

Would like to take them to court because when we thought about getting a different car from them (they were gonna work with us) they were going to give us about $8000.00 less for our car than when we bought it. That felt like a slap in the face. I don't think the car was fixed right from the beginning. Maybe if it had been the motor wouldn't have needed to be replaced. Any advise would help if people know the lemon laws. Was contacted yesterday and said the car would be ready by the end of the week. Big deal. I really don't want it back.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I bought my 2016 Chevy Malibu in January 2017. I had them pull car facts, all was fine. After 7 months I started having issues. I had just exited the freeway and it reduced speed, would not go faster than around 20 miles an hour. I pulled over, put in park and back in drive. It still would not pick up speed, message was on dashboard saying "Engine Power is Reduced" and engine light was on. Luckily I wasn't too far from work at that time. I drove 20 miles an hour the rest of the way. After work, I got back into the car, same message came on, I noticed you can dismiss the message. I pressed dismiss, car seemed to act normal again. On the way home, that happened two more times, one of those times I was going 65 miles an hour. At that point I was terrified that I would get rear ended. I took it to the dealership the next day.

They had my vehicle for about 4 days or so. The oil pump pressure control valve was stuck on, replaced pressure control valve, oil pump flow control solenoid valve replaced also. Recall 17019 Stochastic pre ignition safety recall. (Never notified of a recall.) Engine control module reprogramming with SPS and courtesy oil change came with it. Two days after getting it back, on my way home from work, it stalls on me twice during rush hour traffic. I had to put in park, and restart while people are honking at me on the freeway. Then 3 days after that I was backing up out of a parking space, as I put in drive to go forward, it will not go. It went 2 miles an hour. I put in park, and back in drive about 4 times, and then it finally goes slow and starts picking up speed.

On the way out the parking garage, the ramp to exit is at a slant up. I was the second car from the top, others behind me as well, after the first vehicle waits for traffic and pulls out to the street it's my turn to get to the top. My car will not go up. I press the gas, and car starts rolling back. I panic since a car is behind me, and step on the brake. I try again by pressing the gas all the way down, still car will not go forward, and again starts rolling backwards. I had put in park, and they had to let the cars behind me out on the opposite side. Help came, and 4 men pushed my car up the exit ramp. Once I got to flat surface it was ok, it drove forward.

I really am stressing at this point, and really feel unsafe in this car. I was about 2 hours from home and was scared to drive home thinking I would be in trouble if it reduced speed or stalled on the freeway. I took it to the closest dealership. I explained to them what happened the following week with it being repaired, and now doing the same things. Only difference was this time the check engine light was not on, and the message on dashboard never came on either. He hooked up the little machine, and said no codes were coming up to any type of issue, and there was really nothing he could do if there was no messages coming up telling him what was wrong. So I drove it the two hours home, thank God I had no issues with that drive.

I called the dealership I bought it at, they said I can bring it in tomorrow, but they would need to drive it around because they aren't sure what's the issue. I also called Chevrolet customer service. They took my info, gave me a case number and said that a case Manager would call me within 24 hours. I better hear from them tomorrow. I see many reviews online with the same issues, and not just the 2016 model. I really think Chevy's are making lemons. At this point I do not want to drive the vehicle anymore, I don't want it.

I trusted them after they said they fixed it the first time, and now a few days later I am having the same issues. My life is worth more, I want a different car. I do not want to trust them again and drive around, and end up in an accident or rear ended because of these issues. I think an attorney really needs to look at all the complaints and get us all together with a lawsuit against the company. They are putting lives in danger, and apparently it's been happening for a few years, so why are they still making cars? I learned my lesson, and will read reviews before buying another car. I hope they don't give me any issues with wanting to trade it in, they are the ones who sold it to me and they can have it back. Done with Chevy!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I purchased a 2010 Chevy Malibu LTZ. I purchased with 30000 miles on it. I at first did not want to even test drive this car due to the fact I had owned a 2000 Malibu. Drove off the lot brand new and ended up replacing the engine at 60000 miles. Warranty at that time was 50000 miles then ended up replacing it. Again finally took the Dexcool out. Finally seemed to take care of the problem. Soooo after explaining my reasons as to why I did not even want to consider this car the salesperson assured me that I had a 100000 mile warranty with this car. Foolish me buys into it again. I have not felt safe in this car for a long time. Twice the car shut down on the freeway. Thankfully I was able to pull over, shut down then restart the car and get off the freeway. I contact GM. My car was not part of the recall. Only up to 2009.

Thankfully my mechanic (not GM affiliate) was familiar with the problem after months of this going on. We were able to fix the problem. Then my headlight went out should not be a problem right??? Wring 350.00 to replace a 1.45 bulb. Ok is what it is. Then back taillight goes out hopefully easier than headlights. Well I guess could not get just the bulb. You have to buy the whole assembly through the dealer who by the way did not even know what part I bought them. I had to tell them it was a taillight which the response was this part is so rare we have to order it. Lol. Of course to the tune of 80.00. So no taillight for a few days. Next I am driving down the expressway with passengers in the car. Thank God they were with me. It is a downpour and with no warning my wipers go out while passenger has head out the window. I was able to cross over 2 lanes to get off the freeway.

Problem windshield wipers, trans to the tune of close to 500.00. Really which I was told probably should not have gone out. Get the car back now. Not even 2 weeks later at 115000 miles the transmission goes out 15000miles past warranty. What a slap in the face. Almost $4000.00. Now back to the headlights. Now I have replaced them twice in the last 2 years. Finally realized my wiring harness is bad but I can't just replace the harness. It appears you have to replace the whole headlight. There are no specific wiring harness for this car. I am currently down to one high beam on this car that functions. Will I buy this car again or any Chevrolet product? Absolutely not!!! I have had people say what a sharp looking car. My response is "It looks nice but let me tell you"... so I got the idea.

I now have a paper taped to the window that states "Yes nice looking car. But let me tell you then lusts all the problems with the car." It does get the attention of those that see it. It also states "GM does nothing but tell you to take it to their dealer. Why? So I can't get it back to my mechanic and you get my money or I pay to have it towed back." GM is fully aware of these problems but does not address them especially the transmission. Was told trans out at 115000 miles. Really. That is like a slap in the face. No, no GM no more!!!! Most my neighbors have Hondas and are fully aware of my problems. My one neighbor showed me his Honda. Told me he has only done maintenance oil, change brakes, ECT... Has over 300000 miles on it... guess what my next car is going to be. Bye bye Chevy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Original review: July 25, 2017

My 2011 Malibu has had issues that cause the car to be unsafe to operate in other traffic... based on my own personal experience. About a year ago or so my Malibu began to lose power while I was driving it. This would occur randomly and often. If I was driving on a highway with other traffic around me, and this would occur I would have to TRY and get the Chevy Malibu off to the side of the highway safely so I would not be hit by another car behind me (going at full speed). I got the car into a garage and found out this is a typical problem with these GMC Chevy Malibus. I had to pay to fix it or risk a unsafe drive, I paid but I certainly did nothing to break or damage the vehicle, it was just made poorly I guess!

Recently the airbag sensor continues to "ding" and light up on the counsel even though all seatbelts are locked. And now, I am going to have to pay 700 + dollars to replace a gas pump of this 2011 GMC Chevy Malibu! Again, I didn't break it or cause damage to this but I have to pay for the poor quality of this GMC vehicle. I called them to ask about any remaining warranties or recalls and to request them to reimburse me for my garage repair since I did nothing to cause their parts to break.

Customer service was less than helpful, they questioned me for like 20 minutes and used my answers to find a way to "say" they helped me when they really did nothing but question me and refuse to help or pay for their poor quality workmanship on the GMC Chevy Malibu. OH and On Star... Equally as poor and NOT worth the money, I could have just used my cell phone apps to get the help when the GMC Chevy Malibu left me stalled on the road with my Grandchild in the car.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I bought my 2010 Malibu in 2010 and still own it. During my time of owning this car approx. 1 1/2 years of owning it my transmission failed. But due to recall they had to replace it. Also since I have owned this car the check air bag light keeps going off and on. Took it to a chevy dealer that I bought it from and told them. They wanted me to pay for a diagnostic test. I refused to pay. Car has had a couple of fuses changed. These are my only complaints as far. Mileage is 70000 miles. Had 24000 when I bought it. I have maintained my car as needed or when it has a complaint (check engine light).

Original review: July 19, 2017

This vehicle lacks the power required to render it a functional car. GM's EcoTech 2.0 should have been in this vehicle. The 1.5 EcoTech Turbo is destroying pistons and GM needs to send its customers new engines for this vehicle. 2 cracked pistons on mine after driving it 4k miles from the date of purchasing the vehicle. In 6 months I had a check engine light and a "Low Engine Power" warning message while the car went from 65 to 20 mph in rush hour traffic while driving. Very tense situation. Dealership said it reduces speed automatically for safety when in this low engine power mode. Does this company understand customer's lives are in their hands? Result of that incident was that they replaced the accelerator pedal. Check engine light never came on.

Shortly thereafter it started shaking while idling, hesitating to respond when pushing gas pedal on takeoff, headlights dimming when triggering stop/start and at one time stalling while sitting at a stoplight. Again, check engine never came on. I took it to the dealership on gut feeling (if you consider all these problems a gut feeling). GM said no codes were found. I insisted that they spend more time with the vehicle as the issues seemed to be happening randomly at times. They finally discovered the shaking and ran tests. After 2 weeks they brought in a GM corporate engineer and he said it was misfiring. Upon engine disassembly they found 2 cracked pistons. Why did the check engine light not come on? According to the dealer one piston failure cancelled out the other so no check engine light. Facepalm. They want to replace the pistons. I am done with this brand. Been a customer for 10 years. Not anymore.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Bought my car in 2012 with 27,000 miles and now it's 2017 with about 83,000. I have had problem after problem with this car from the throttle sensor to now the transmission. I recently got it inspected, new registration oil changed at the same time and there was no warning that my transmission was gonna go this soon. At times my car would be sitting at an intersection and completely shut off (throttle position sensor). Fixed that thankfully our lives were spared at the intersection that day. I was 45 min away from home when the transmission went (code po700). Had it towed to my house and now sits in my driveway. I need a car to get to work and get the kids around and now carless. I'm so irritated after calling GM to report it and they could care less. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHEVY. YOUR CARS SUCK AND SO DOES THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I have owned Chevrolets since 2005 and the first was when the Equinox was first released and that was a nightmare of a vehicle. I got rid of it and purchased a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado which was brand new. No problems with that truck. Then I purchased a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado brand new and that had no problems. In May 2010 I purchased my 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT and I regret the decision to this day. I no longer have the trucks, but I have the Malibu and that car has been the biggest nightmare of all. I have replaced the blower motor twice, the suspension twice, the headlamps... I can't even remember because it's happened so many times, the battery twice, the entire radio/CD player unit completely fried out after 3 1/2 years so I had to put an aftermarket CD player in because to replace the factory one was over $1,000 because of Onstar. So I don't have Onstar, which I'm fine with.

The electrical system has been fixed multiple times and now it's at the dealership because when I move the shifter from "P" to either "R" or "D" and step on the accelerator it doesn't move!! The engine revs up but no movement. Then if it does eventually move when I step on the brake pedal to slow down or come to a complete stop when it's in "D" or "R" and push down on the accelerator to start moving again it will do the same thing. I have had to get out of the car to push it to safe spot on the road. Now, there was a recall in 2012 for 2008-2010 Chevrolet Malibus for a transmission issue that involved the transmission shift cable to fray and/or fracture and separate. But of course the recall is not for my VIN#. Now they say there is no safety bulletin either for my VIN# but there are over 500 people so far that I've seen have the same issue as me and their 2010 Malibu's are also not included in the recall.

So for a $40-$50 part it will cost close to $800 to have it fixed at the dealership or any other automotive shop. I can honestly say I will NEVER, EVER buy a GM product ever again. GM offered no advice, help, assistance or anything of that nature. They just repeated themselves like a broken record, "Miss you have to take it to a certified Chevrolet dealership to be diagnosed". I couldn't even ask any questions. I eventually hung up. My best friend has owned Subarus forever and even when her warranties were up including the power train warranty they always went out of their way to assist her. They gave her a rental for free for a few days while her car was being serviced. GM could learn a few things from other companies and the customer service. I'm waiting for another mailing or email to come from Chevrolet trying to sell me another one of their pile of garbage vehicles. Aside from the truck line they are all horrible, cheaply made vehicles.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ and have experienced a lot of the same issues. My headlight keeps going out, radio going from AUX to not working, back defrost will not work. I've also experienced driving down the road and my door would just open. I've replaced the battery numerous times because it keeps draining and my check engine light comes on all the time. I've also started my car and it acts as if it's going to die unless I give it gas. And as I'm writing this today, my Malibu is sitting at the dealership getting the timing chain/belt replaced because it died on me in traffic as I was sitting at a stoplight and the light had turned green. I pressed on the gas and everything locked up. It's a thousand wonders I didn't cause an accident. I purchased this car in 2011 with only 22,000 miles on it at a Chevy dealership. If there ever is a class action suit, count me in. We all work too hard for our money to put it back into this evil necessity they call a car!!!

Original review: June 4, 2017

I purchased my 2015 Chevy Malibu LT from Preferred Automotive Group on Illinois Rd. In Fort Wayne, IN on 12/16/15. Less than 24 hours later I took it back because my odometer was displaying (and still is) 6 dashes rather than my mileage. I also discovered that neither trip odometer works. They ran a diagnostic test, even though my check engine light has NEVER came on and told me they didn't know what was wrong. I asked for a different vehicle and was told no initially because it was a GM problem and my warranties would cover it. Wrong! Neither UK Certified Dealership would even look at it unless I paid.

Needless to say, after flying off the handle and taking this POS back to Preferred numerous times and having numerous diagnostic tests ran they still couldn't figure it out. I demanded a different vehicle and threw out the words, 'lemon law', 'attorney general', 'court' and they began to start listening, or at least I thought. Suddenly the sales guy no longer worked there, the mechanic I spoke to on Tuesday "does not exist" "has never worked there" and conveniently the service records that a manager read off to on Tuesday as well have completely disappeared. So now it appears that I have never brought my vehicle in once or complained about it.

I took my car to trade it in at another dealership last week. They loved it! I was honest about the mileage not showing, they said it was fine and that they could retrieve the mileage even though it wasn't displaying. They couldn't figure it out, did a diagnostic test and said the ECM was malfunctioning. Seriously?! Due to that they put the sale on hold and stated until I could retrieve the miles my car has $0 VALUE!! I instantly called Preferred and lost it. I was told to bring it in and they would try to retrieve the mileage and diagnose the problem.

After about 1 hour and 15 minutes they finally figured out how many miles were on my car, but in KM!! Another 30 minutes of screwing with the computer and they couldn't figure out how to change it from KM to miles!! FOR PETE'S SAKE, SERIOUSLY?! Well by that point the service tech was P.O. and wanted to go so he printed the information about my car in KM and didn't perform a diagnostic test to determine the exact cause of the problem. I took my car and my paperwork to the other dealership, but since it's not miles and the cause is unknown they are still holding off on selling me the new car I want. I'm beyond livid!! Has anyone else experienced this?! Please help?! If it is the ECM, I'm looking at $750 before taxes! I'm so done with this car.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Dishonorable mention to Rick Hendrick Chevrolet. The short abbreviated version: Purchased my 2016 Malibu on April 13th of last year. The sales experience was horrid but purchased the car despite my reservations with the expectation that it would serve me well since I drive full time for Lyft and Uber. Prior to 20000 miles, the car had a few system recalls/upgrades, but nothing too serious. One of the computer chips had to be replaced, and there were several minor glitches, such as the radio not coming on occasionally, and an error message when the car was placed in park.

After 20000, I began to notice the car had a slight sputter, then at around 24000 the engine light came on and I got a Stabilitrack warning. Upon taking it to service, I learned that the engine had a cracked piston and a cracked valve, and they would have to be replaced. Upon further investigation of the problem, I found several similar incidences on-line, most of which involved complete engine replacement. I brought this to the attention of my service rep, but he said that the part could be replaced without compromising the performance of the car.

After 6 weeks in service, I got the car back and it ran fine for a few thousand miles. After that, I began to notice the sputter again. This grew into more of an engine misfire as time wore on, but all of my attempts to bring this to the attention of my service rep were ignored because nothing was showing on diagnosis. After a few weeks of this, the car engine would shut off after going into autostop, requiring me to restart the car at traffic signals.

At this point, I called GM customer service to complain about the situation with my car. I even took a ride with a service manager to show him what the car was doing to no avail. Again, service would tell me that if it doesn't show on their diagnosis system, there is no problem. After the problem persisted, I took it to service for a more thorough evaluation. They kept the car for several days, during which, GM customer service called me to say there is nothing wrong with my car despite my claims.

A week after I got the car back, the engine light finally came on and I got the Stabilitrack warning once again. Then the car went into low power mode and began burning oil. By the time I got it into service, it had burned up most of the oil in the system, and upon evaluation of the car, the service rep told me they would have to replace the engine. This was at just over 40000 miles. They had the car for just under a month, and a week after getting the car back, the engine light once again came on and the car went into low power mode. This time the accelerator failed and would need to be replaced.

Two weeks after that, another engine light, and a Stabilitrack warning. Now the ignitors failed, but according to service had nothing to do with the new engine or the installation thereof. Now, at 51000 miles, the car is beginning to do the slight sputter again. This car is a lemon! GM nor Rick Hendricks will do anything about it, or to make up for all of my lost time and wages due to these problems.

Original review: May 22, 2017

I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu with less than 50k and have had to replace battery, alternator, starter, all wiring for those and fix the electrical system. I was told that none of this should need fixed again but the electrical system is bad again. I'll never buy a Chevy again. Thousands spent and now told a couple more thousand $ will be needed. Chevy sucks!

Original review: May 4, 2017

We were in a Chevy Malibu 2015 when the flash flood happened in Denham Springs, Louisiana. The car went dead and it almost became our coffin. We couldn't get out. The car went dead. We couldn't open a door, put down a window or anything!!! If it had not been for God we would have died. God opened 2 doors at the last moment. No one was touching the doors. Water had almost consumed the entire interior. We swam for our lives. Hey Chevy really?

Original review: April 27, 2017

I purchased a new 2016 Chevy Malibu from Jerry's Chevrolet in March of 2016. My current has 19k miles on it as of April 2017. The car was put in the shop on April 20, 2017 because it had lost almost all power and was driving so rough it was barely drivable. Much to our surprise the service manager notified us the following day that it needed a new motor. Outrageous! Once we got the General Manager of the dealership involved the following day we were told it did not need a motor but had a broken piston ring. They apparently removed the entire motor from the car and replaced all the pistons and gaskets and did a third repair on the malfunctioning auto stop part. So basically they rebuilt the top part of the motor. I did not purchase a vehicle with a rebuilt motor. I purchased and am paying for a new, reliable and safe vehicle. They sent me on my way and said I would be very pleased with the repair and not have anymore problems.

A day later while driving the vehicle I lost all power to the vehicle. I was trapped inside, unable to open windows or doors. Odd that there is no manual way to unlock the doors to get out. Extremely unsafe. Could not even put the car in park to try to restart the vehicle. Notified dealer and they informed me that the car problem just needed to reset after the big repair. What? The car did start back up and I drove it home. Two days later it did the same thing again while I was driving the vehicle. Only this time I was pulling into an intersection and the car just stopped and lost all power. I was almost hit by a vehicle traveling behind me and I was again trapped in the vehicle. This vehicle is a lemon and at this point a death trap. I was terrified and that is not acceptable. My child is with me everyday in this vehicle and we could be killed if this were to happen on a major highway.

The dealer has me in a loaner car and has told me that the reason this happened is because when they were doing the previous repairs the mechanic did not tighten back the positive battery cable. No way! I do not want to drive this vehicle away from the dealership! It is unsafe and I do not trust what the service department is telling me. We have demanded that they take a trade in on this vehicle without any additional finances from us. They are telling me they don't have that authority. That is ridiculous! They make deals everyday to just sell a damn car! They passed me off to Chevrolet customer service to file a formal complaint. Shouldn't the dealership assisted me in this? They are the ones who sold me the vehicle.

I placed a formal complaint with Chevrolet on April 26, 2017. Was told I would hear from someone within 24 hours. We will see how well they back their product. I will not get back into my vehicle until they have something resolved! It is unsafe!! I am prepared to take this all the way to the top with a civil suit against GM if I have to. Oh and did I mention that my husband's company has 50 employees driving GM/Chevrolet vehicles. I would hate to see that account lost.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I purchased a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu brand-new from Don Folk Chevrolet in Kelowna BC, Canada. Since purchase, I have complained about electrical issues with this car that is causing a serious safety risk that seems to be very prevalent in this model of car. The steering wheel and brakes go stiff and the instrument panel and radio unit shuts off completely. The car will also shut itself off while moving in gear which causes complete loss of operation of the vehicle. I have complained about electrical problems multiple times and from what I read (sadly) is that nearly everyone has the same issue with their dealership and/or General Motors Corporate. They say they have to replace my rack and pinion now? If anyone else has had the rack and pinion replaced please let NHTSA and or Transport Canada aware that you are having this problem so we can get the ball rolling because this is absurd.

The car is clearly mis-engineered and the dealership is trying to deny a defect, so everyone with this problem is in the same boat with this car and there seems to be a substantial amount of sheer evidence that this is an engineering defect cause a very unsafe and possibly deadly situation. The rack and pinion assembly they want to replace is approximately $2560 Canadian. They will not cover the cost because it isn't deemed a recall or defect which it should be and much like other people have said. They also do not want to cover any portion of this repair as it is just past warranty and will not guarantee this will ensure the safety of my car. There must be something we can do together, this isn't a co-incidence.

Original review: April 16, 2017

While returning from a Florida vacation our 2010 Chevrolet Malibu transmission with 120,000 miles on it suddenly started slipping so badly that we had to have it towed to a transmission repair shop. Needless to say the vacation ended on a bad note. The transmission wave plate repair will cost us $3508.00. When I started researching this failure I can see that there are many many people who have experienced this same problem. Why isn't General Motors being held accountable for this defect?

Original review: April 15, 2017

I bought my 2017 Chevy Malibu Premier in January of this year and already have problems. I brought my car in for a simple oil change and the dealer decided (without my permission) to fix a recall on it. According to the dealer he was "required" to fix the recall (transmission module update??). I had no problems prior to this "fix". Now my car shifts hard and my cruise control doesn't work. The dealer claims "That is normal. The car just needs to relearn your driving"... Not buying that.

I asked him to reverse the "update" and he said he couldn't and there is nothing he can do for me. I decided to get a second opinion and brought it to different dealer. Lo and behold I was right... It wasn't "normal". The new dealer told me that they might have to replace the whole transmission... WHAT... NO. This is a new car; I don't want a car that has a rebuilt transmission when I paid for a brand new car... Needless to say I'm very disappointed. I have always purchased Chevy vehicles, however, that is now going to change.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I will never buy another GM!!! So my 2002 Chevy Malibu blew a head gasket at 88000 miles. Head was cracked ended up replacing motor. One day the wife was backing out of my driveway and ran into my other vehicle which busted up the driver's side tail lamp assembly on the Malibu. When she got out to look the light was glowing and poof, burst into flames. She frantically got my two kids out of the car and tried putting out the fire with some water bottles and one gallon jug of water, all to no avail. Luckily she was at home, and grabbed the fire extinguisher which put the fire out. The assembly is melted with some blackening around it and a burnt smell inside the car. When I called GM they said it was the "collision that started the fire". So if a minor fender bender can catch their car on fire with my two kids in it, no thanks. Not to mention the fire was right above the gas tank. Lost a customer for life, and I recommend everyone to steer clear.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I purchase a 2013 Chevy Malibu from Jarred ** in Winter Haven, FL late Tuesday, February 21 2017. The vehicle had only 26,388. On Friday February 24, I contacted Jarred ** in Winter Haven, FL and I talk and the sales person who sold me the vehicle, Mr. Joe ** and told him the car panel started to malfunction turning off. I was transfer to the service department and they told me to bring the vehicle in the afternoon. I proceeded to ask questions regarding the vehicle and the warranty but he said he was too busy to answer my question because he had too many customer, that I needed to bring the vehicle in the afternoon for him to check it out. I drove the vehicle to work and the panel turn off a couple of times.

After work I proceeded to go and get my children from school. As I was merging into Interstate 4, the car panel turn off. I lost power steering, the steering wheel lock. I was not able to merge into traffic. The car went from 60 miles to almost a complete stop. I tried to turn my emergency lights and the car panel kept turning off. I lost power again, the steering wheel lock. I couldn't get off the highway because the power steering will not go back on. The windows and power lock did not work. I couldn't open the windows, it was very scary for me and my children. I pull on the side of the road, call the dealer, talk to Mr. **. He told me to drive the car to them and it was going to be check on Monday.

I requested the car to be towed. This car was not safe to be on the road. He kept telling me to drive the vehicle to them which the dealer is a 40 minute drive from my home. He even told me to go directly to the Chevy dealer close to me which is in Clermont, FL, almost an hour from my home. I requested the vehicle to be towed. Mr. ** told me to drive it to my house and then they could send someone to pick it up. I cancel my purchase of vehicle. I do not want this car anymore, it not safe to drive. I was terrified. My children and I could have gotten seriously hurt or even kill driving this car. The Chevy dealer need to look into this malfunction because a lot of complaints have been made from different Chevy Malibu owners and they do not have a recall and for what I have been able to research Chevy does not know how to fix the problem.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I have had my 2011 Chevy Malibu for 4 years and 2 months. The transmission has went out, fuel pump and now I think it is the starter or alternator. My family is a Chevy family... I am so afraid to drive this car anywhere. I went to a banquet last night and went out to get in my car and it would not start. Lights and everything work but it won't start. When I had all the problems, the car gave me no indication that something was wrong. With all the computers these cars have on them now, it seems like they would let you know when there is a problem. When I had it towed for transmission issues to a transmission shop, there were three other car in the shop for the same reason but no recall... Hmmm! I will never buy another chevrolet!! If chevy does not fixes these issues not only will you lose my business but a lot of others too! Please help us!!! This is ridiculous!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

We bought our Malibu LTZ 2011 used. It seemed as though it had been kept up, looked great inside and out! The first few months were fantastic. Summer in a sweet car. Then winter hit. Little things began to happen. The car would shake, the heat would cut in and out, the battery drained over and over, the headlights came on in the middle of the night, the alarm began sounding often, check the esc. Then it just stopped.. Starting. First trip to the dealership they told us it was the codes, 21, low codes. The car wouldn't start the next morning. The next service call was to replace the entire fuse block. They figured it out! But.. No.. Still shaking at times. No heat/air. But it starts most times. I'll never buy another GM. And now that I've read more reviews, I'm actually scared of what will happen when the transmission goes while driving in the highway.. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I purchased a 2006 Malibu a few years ago from a friend. Like everyone else who have filed a complaint, I have complaints with this car as well. First of all, my car has a thud in the steering wheel. Every time I turn the corner, you could hear this thud. I show recalls on this car for several repairs. I took my car in for the recall twice but STILL have that same thump every time I take a turn. Is my life in danger?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I WILL NEVER buy a Chevrolet again. I bought it b/c my uncle used to work for Chevy for years and swore by the cars. I bought the car in 2012 and after 5 years and it being paid off and just received my title it needs an engine. Check engine light came on said coil 3 misfire. I get it fixed. Light still on. Now they saying no compression in coil 3. Really??? This is sad. It needs to be a recall on this engine. They should at least pay half of the repairs. It's unfair. I planned on driving this car many more years. I guess I need to buy a Honda or Toyota. Heck I have a 2000 Protege with 314K miles. It's still going strong. GM please help!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I bought my 2011 Malibu brand new with 4 miles on it. 4 days after driving it off the lot my car died making a left turn. I brought it to the dealership and they were unable to replicate the problem. Years passed with some normal wear and tear until I felt it shifting late. It got worse until 1 day I was at a stop light and when I went to accelerate it wouldn't move, no matter if it was in the manual mode, automatic or reverse. Had it towed to a dealership and the transmission control module had to be replaced, thankfully under warranty.

6 months went by and I felt it shifting late again, so a mechanic recommended pulling the battery and maybe it would reset its learned shifting behavior. When I reconnected my battery my odometer went from 74,000 miles give or take to 7,300 miles!! I spoke with a dealership and they had no idea what would cause it. 9 months passed and I decided it was time to trade it in, but no dealership will give fair trade value because of the odometer issue. So I brought it to another dealership and they accuse of me of tampering with it. They replaced the instrument panel cluster and of course did not get it resolved. So Chevy has no clue why this happened and the dealer has no idea. I owe 7k on the car and I'm ready to cut my loss.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I have had my 2011 Chevy Malibu for 5 years now and I loved it! Keyword loved... I used to consider myself a Chevy guy after being raised with Chevy and GMC my whole life. I have had numerous issue with this car and have shrugged them off with Brand Loyalty. Especially since my dad worked at GM for a long time. I will never be buying myself a Chevy again. Let me get you up to speed with my story on this car (or lack of car).

So my car is 2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ with 90,000 miles on it. In the course of 5 years, I have had the brakes replaced 5 times. The mass air flow sensor go out twice. All the spark plugs go out twice (they are 100k mile plugs). Battery go out 3 times within a 3 year span. Different rims bend while normal driving and having to put on the spare because the tire deflated (still on factory rims). Radio switching inputs on its own. Aux hit or miss if going to work. Car shaking then turning off right after it being turned on. Car sometimes not braking properly even if pushing down all the way on the brakes.

After all of these it leads me to my worst and breaking point on the vehicle... so the current status of my car is undrivable. I had just gotten back from vacation and had left the Malibu at home. I went to go to work in the Malibu and on the drive the car came almost to a halt on its own from 55 MPH down to 20 MPH instantaneously and wouldn't go over that speed. I pulled over and turned off the car. After waiting 5 minutes and trying again my car would not accelerate past 20MPH and the check engine light came on.

After getting it home I checked the code on the car with my reader and got error P0700 which says shift solenoid or transmission control unit. I tried to reverse it out of my garage to take it to a mechanic just to find the reverse had just stopped working too. I had 3 mechanics look at it and they all said the transmission was out and that it had a special code on the transmission that only Chevy could program in so that the replacement would have to be through Chevy. I called all the dealers and they said my warranty was a month up, but that they could look at it to see what's wrong. I called the main line for GM and they had told me that they could do a courtesy fix or they could possibly give me an extended warranty.

The catch was I had to get it checked out at a Chevy dealer first for them to give me the free fix. They set up a tow which they charged me for and then charged me to have it inspected. They came up with the same conclusion that it was the transmission. They said it would be 2000 to inspect the inside of the transmission and 4000 to replace it. After that the following week went on with me not being able to get ahold of the people at the main GM office that told me they would fix it. Then I got a call from the dealer after having my car there for 3 days saying that if I didn't come get it by the weekend that they would deem it abandoned. They had told me the talked to the representatives from the main GM office that I had spoke to and they said they would not help with the problem and for them to have my car off the lot if I wasn't going to pay to have it fixed.

The car is 5 years old and has 90,000 with a transmission problem!!!! I have seen multiple Malibu owners with all different year Malibus reporting the same issue with the transmission between 80,000 to 110,000. I am afraid to pay to get it fixed because if it stays consist that could be 3 transmissions in the life of the car. That would be 10s of thousands of dollars on that fix through the life of the car. I think this car is a lemon because of everyone having the same issue with different years of Malibu's. Chevy is aware of this and have not recalled it because they know of the repercussions from it and probably like all the money they are making off of the constant fixes. This car is a money pit and should not be sold anymore until all these things are fixed.

I would like this car replaced or something to be done about this. I would be willing to get into a class action lawsuit even for this. They have no problem taking your money for the car and fixes but will not help you to fix the issues they are aware with the car. Something needs to be done about this and it can't just be one person it has to be all the people who have been wronged by this model of car. If there isn't a stop put on it then they will continue to cause more distress on more unknowing victims that buy this car. If something doesn't change soon there could be a lot of people injured or fatalities in this car and a lot of life's in danger. There isn't a price on people's lives and this company must be stopped! It has gone on for far long enough!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

Front camera service and adaptive cruise control service lights keeping coming on. Repair of car lasted one day. Now it's back in the shop for the same problem, system drains my car battery. Is there a recall for this problem because now am without a car and am angry.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I purchased my 2010 Chevy Malibu LTZ slightly used with only 8,000 miles in same year of 2010. Thought I was getting a good bargain being that due to it being slightly used the price of the LTZ model was the same as the lower end models of the same year saving me $8,000 for all the upgrades. The first problem began roughly 3 years after purchase and around 45,000 miles.

I live in south Texas so even in the winter months temperatures are fairly mild but during our cold months I was unable to start my car in the mornings. I would turn the starter and it would sound as if it was trying to fire up engine so I tapped gas pedal and it would then start however a cloud of black fumes would come out of tailpipe. This happened on a few occasions so I took it to 2 separate mechanics who were unable to find cause of problem but believed it to be a fuel injection problem. They said normally a car would need to change the fuel filter but my car does not have a simple fuel filter to change. This worried me a great deal because it sounded like it will be a more expensive fix.

By chance, during the same time this was happening my passenger side low beam light went out. So I went to AutoZone to purchase light and usually they are kind enough to change the bulb for me however when the AutoZone worker came out and looked at my car said he would not be able to change my bulb due to the complexity of the design of my car. Had to be taken to a mechanic which cost $179 in labor just for headlight change. I spoke with same AutoZone worker about the problem I was having with my car not wanting to start when the weather is cold. He said to try using only high-octane gas from either Shell or Valero. Up until that point, I would buy my gas at any gas station and only use regular grade.

So I followed his advice and 4 years later I have not had any further problems with that issue. I chalked it up to having a "picky car." My car is now 7 years old with approximately 102,000. Last week the transmission went out. Up until the day it went out I had no indication there was a problem with the transmission. So I am now replacing the transmission with a Jasper at a total of $4,400. My car was just paid off 3 months ago and of course the warranty is out. I didn't bother to take it to Chevy but a very reputable auto mechanic in town.

I had their mechanics give it a thorough look over to see if anything else would need to be replaced or see any further potential problems. They did find that all 4 ball joints have a rubber seal that protects against grinding are all worn down and recommend replacing those at a cost of $650. Mechanic did indicate that it is rare to see them worn out and that on most cars that is something that sometimes never needs to be replaced. Headlight needed to be replaced once again about 4 months ago which this time was about $159. Both times the headlight was out I had them replace the bulbs on both sides since the cost of labor is so high.

To list a few other things my rear defrost went out about 3 years ago. I left it alone because being in south Texas I don't really find that I need it. The sunroof leaked when the car was approximately 3 years old. Luckily I had that fixed for free by a relative that works in an auto body shop. No problems with that since the fix. The leather interior is not holding up well on the driver's seat and door handles are peeling. Service ESC light appears frequently. I would like to say that I am good about taking my car in for regular service when car indicates it is time and use synthetic mix oil. High octane gas.

Overall I, will continue to drive my Malibu once the transmission is replaced but have not been happy with the design of the mechanical engineering of the car due to not having dipstick to check transmission fluid, no fuel filter and high cost to change headlights. I will drive this car as long as I can because I simply cannot afford a new car at this time but I will not buy a Chevrolet in the future. Not even sure who makes a good affordable midsized car anymore.

Disappointed because I really wanted to buy only American car. Especially when purchased back in 2010 right after all the car manufacturer's closing. I thought I was doing the patriotic thing at the time and "WAS" proud of the Chevy emblem. I could probably name a few more minor issues but I'm an easy going kind of person and never worried too much about the small stuff but when things become a danger or cost working class Americans more money than its worth I must speak up. Shame on GMC.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Took my 2011 Malibu in because the engine light came on. Got a dia. code of A0443. They told me my solenoid needed changing. Had it done for $371.00. A week later the engine light came back on. Called the dealer service dept. and was told if the engine light isn't blinking I can drive it, my mistake should have taken it back to them right away. Took it to AutoZone and got the same code A0443 to fix the original problem. Now my inspection is due. A few months later took it back to them and with another charge of $350.00 to change the gasket on the fuel tank. I express my belief that this was the original problem with the gasket and not the solenoid and was told many diff. problem can happen under that code relating to fuel leak. Don't know what's going to happen next, very disappointed. Ready for a class action lawsuit.

Chevy Malibu Company Information