2.69/5
Based on 42 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Chevy Malibu

The Chevrolet Malibu was manufactured and marketed from 1964-1983 and again from 1997 until present. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

601 Chevy Malibu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I purchased a 2017 Malibu Hybrid in Dec 2017. Very Nice car. I TOOK the car in for service. The G.P.S. wasn't giving Me Correct Directions, the Carpet on the Driver's side was and still is coming out of the molding on Door side. The Paint is Chipping off the Car. Now in different spots. They kept the car for a week and I'm still having the same issues. Yes, Kevin is a Great Person. But my issues were not fixed so NOW I'll have to take it back when I have the time. I wonder if anything will get fixed this time AROUND.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had purchased my 2011 Chevy brand new Malibu with a six-cylinder 3.6 L engine after previously owning a 2004 six-cylinder Malibu. I was very happy with the overall performance of the 2004 Malibu and realized that Chevy was going to drop the six-cylinder option soon and that is one of the reason why I bought the 2011 Malibu. 12 hours after picking up the car, it had a check engine light which prompted an immediate visit back to the dealer. The problem was that one of the spark plug wires was bad, which surprised me that it was not picked up in the factory. And the biggest surprise was there already a recall on the car, one day after I picked it up - a software upgrade.

In general, I was happy with the pep that the car had but I had some very strange problems. The strangest problem was on cold days in New York (below the freezing mark), it was very difficult to remove the key from the lock - it took many rotations before it would release. The problem got worse and worse (and the car was passed the warranty period). I suspected that it had to do with the shifter being in park but not getting to the key lock to release it. I had to bring it to the Chevy dealer and they had to remove the dash and the covers to the shifter and it was confirmed that two different material plastic pieces at the end of the cable that connected the shifter to the key lock were binding due to thermal contraction at cold temperature. A new cable fixed the problem, but the repair was over $400.

I believe that I am not the only person to have experienced this issue, particularly in the colder states of the United States. I wrote this failure up in detail and contacted Chevy and their customer support was very superficial and unsatisfactory. I wanted Chevy to acknowledge this issue and state that they developed corrective action in the design. Even when I sent photos and documentation to the head of Chevy's consumer affairs department, my material was bounced back to the superficial customer support without them acknowledging that they had a design issue that they should correct.

When my car reached 177,000, it developed a permanent check engine problem, suggesting a computer replacement would be needed, so I was in the market for a new car. I saw that the Chevy Malibu model went to a 1.5L Turbo four-cylinder and I knew that there would be no way that I could buy this, based on what I know about Chevy and what I know about the long-term reliability of small turbo engines. I ended up buying a 2018 Toyota Camry with a 2.5 four-cylinder engine and assurances from the dealer that they had ways of contacting Toyota engineering if a potential design issue is discovered. I had been a life-long Chevy customer, going back to 1978, with five cars brought brand new. It is apparent that GM has lost their way and do not listen to customer feedback. That is why I am now using a Toyota product. Au revoir Chevy!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Got in my 2017 Malibu this afternoon and noticed the navigator screen was black and stayed black. Music will play but only to the channel that was turned to. No backup camera, nothing! I have been reading where this is an ongoing problem but I don't feel as if it's my job to try and figure it out! Screen also feels warm to touch. Of course it's Sunday and the dealership/service department are closed.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Purchased a 2018 Chevy Malibu in March 2018. Hit a deer on NYS thruway May 10th. Part (engine harness) needed to repair vehicle on back order with GM for over 2 months, they do not make the part and are "trying" to locate it overseas. Now starting not to answer phone calls, still no update on when or if they'll get the part. Told me replacing the vehicle is not an option.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Purchased new 2018 Chevrolet Malibu last month. Had the this vehicle 26 DAYS and engine light starts flashing. Dealer advises it needs new pistons, (piston cracked in cylinder # 2). In shop for one week for repairs. Finding this is a known issue with unknown fix. GM only willing to repair under warranty and Bob Bell Chevrolet will only do trade-in costing thousands of dollars more to get out of this vehicle. Don't understand how GM has been allowed to sell this vehicle with major engine problem, (pistons cracking), for several years now. Need to get out of this vehicle asap but will lose several thousand dollars in doing so. Will NEVER buy from GM again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Malibu?

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased my 2017 Chevy Malibu last October with 17,000 miles on it at the time. Since October of 2017, I have had to take it back to the dealership 5 times for multiple problems including: Car not turning off; Driver's seatbelt not buckling; Wire sensors in engine had to be replaced; Transmission control had to be replaced and currently I have water getting in the roof and seats of my car every time it rains. Also, trying to trade the car back in they only offered me $12,000 for it with only 27,000 miles on it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My mom told me to choose this car over Kia Optima. It was a better price than the Kia and parts are easier to get. The dealership had a good deal on the Chevy Malibu and salesman gave me that. The car has clean lines and updated. I like the touchscreen on the dashboard and Bluetooth is convenient. But I wanted a different color. I like black and dark colors. And if the car wasn't so wide I would like it more. I'm used to driving Nissan Sentra and compact cars. But the Chevy Malibu is very smooth driving and I feel Very safe to drive.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Chevy Malibu is a very reliable vehicle. There is not many complications that go wrong if you keep it maintenance regularly. It's very safe as well. Definitely a good starter car or even a daily use vehicle. I never worry about being broke down on the side of the road. The appearance is very nice and the design of the car is too. I've never even had this car in the shop for problems or complications. The price is not outrageous either. It also has very good gas mileage which is a big plus for current gas prices. I can get 25 miles for gallon most of the time. There is a lot of compartments as well to store things. There is also a lot of trunk space in this vehicle and it also has a good stereo system. Furthermore, it has a sports appearance but is also a good family car. You can fit five people in this vehicle and not feel crammed in together like most cars are.

It is a little work taking the front bumper off to access some parts but it is not too bad. Also, the sensors short out sometimes. For example the tire air monitor, it shorted out sooner than expected but it is not a big deal as long as you continually check your tire air. But it is definitely a good quality car in my opinion. It is important to trust that your car will not malfunction at the worst times. I've had all positive experiences with this car and I really enjoy having it. My mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and myself all have this type of car. A lot of my friends and family has this vehicle and love it. I always recommend this vehicle to friends and family.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought a 2015 Chevrolet Malibu a little over a year ago and my rear brake calipers are so hot that they are literally melting the back tires on the car... Of course my warranty is no longer valid. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of problem with this year and make.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I really spent a lot of time researching the car purchase. I really like my new Chevy Malibu because the cars drive is smooth. It’s very sturdy of a car and also really a quiet ride. The car’s Backup camera is absolutely the greatest and also has cruise control. The other models that I considered just didn't have the same features and the price was not comparable to what I was getting with this car. However, trunk isn't as big as I wanted. I also had issues with the detailing coming off in certain spots. Plus, the engine wasn't as big as I would have liked it to be.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My Chevrolet Malibu has been very good to me. I have had very minimal issues with it. It runs great for the year it is (it's a 2005) which is fairly old. But for the year it has been great. The exterior appearance is in good condition. It's got good trunk space and plenty of space for my children in the backseat. I chose this car because it's good on gas and I like the overall appearance of it. Overall, I am 100% satisfied with my vehicle.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The Chevrolet Malibu Classic 2005 runs smoothly and I love driving this car. And I like the color of it. When I bought it everything I asked for to have in my next car worked and still does right down to the lighters working so I can charge my phone while driving. My blinkers and the air condition worked. But the car had the wrong thermostat in it. It for a summer one and I needed one to replace this, so it could put out more heat for the winter. Now I had IT FIXED.

I have already put around 1000 dollars in it to keep it running. But I have a brake and rotor job to do still. This week I'm going to buy my second pair of window wipers because the one I have on it now, the rubber on the drivers side does not touch the window to be able to wipe the lower half of my wind shield. Then I think my car will be good for a while. But I wish they had tinted windows. And I wish it didn't have chips of paint off the front of the car. If I could only afford to have a paint job done on it then I would love the car even more.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The Chevrolet Malibu used to be a sports car. Now it's a family sedan. It is a good, quality, well-running American-made vehicle. The car is sturdy. It is durable. It is long lasting. I like that this has been a reliable basic car: always starts, gets us where we are going, little to no maintenance. Just gas and oil, mostly. An occasional tune-up. Nothing fancy. Any mechanic can perform it. This is good because we live in a rural town where you can't get fancy mechanical services. However, it has complex dashboard features I have been unable to entirely figure out. For example, the heating system is too complicated and not user intuitive. Overall, it was a good car, would purchase again.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought the Chevy Malibu mainly for the OnStar system. This system is excellent and simple to use. The car however has not been such good buy. I have had some problems with the car and have not been too happy with it. The car has had tire, brake, battery and window problems and all item repaired came out of pocket. The OnStar is its only saving grace. I like the handling of the car, the leathers inside and the color of interior. But I would improve paint on exterior because my car has serious paint peeling. It was a factory defect that was not covered by warranty. The door developed a leak in the driver's window that was not covered either. I would also improve gas mileage. It is acceptable but not too much. Will really think before I purchase another Chevy.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My Chevy Malibu 2005 runs great. I drive it to and from work every day. I would not trade it for anything. This car is the car of cars. If you don't drive a Chevrolet then you are not driving a good car. I simply love my car. I like its radio, cd player, remote start. It has nice tires. Cool gray color, nice interior and exterior, great running motor. Chevy cars are built to last a long time great running vehicles. Body style is great as well. I will be using this cars for long time. If you want a nice clean car get a Chevy Malibu. You won't be sorry. It's a cool car and nice perks too. But 22" rims would make the car stand out and dvd players in the headrest to keep the boy busy. I may one day put a sunroof in the car. I am one very happy customer. I smile when I think of my car.

Original review: June 12, 2018

This 2016 Chevy Malibu is our second Malibu. They are well made and reliable. I like the warning lights when they work. In the last Malibu the gas tank gauge stopped working and the cost to fix it was outrageous. Nevertheless, we like Chevys, easy to drive not too fancy. We have had good experience with these cars other than the gas gauge. Also, the top coat started to come off. The interior lights do not come on soon as you open door at night. There is a tire that loses air in cold weather. Still, very satisfied with car.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have had a few Chevys before. Chevy Malibu so far has been probably the best I've had. It's a newish model so has some of the nicer amenities. I like the fact that it had been done by only two people and it has never been in any accident. Also, it is fuel efficient, is comfortable, and it is a perfect commuter vehicle. Unfortunately it has had a couple of recall issues which is frustrating. Also, it has a stained driver side seat from a previous owner that I have not been able to afford to fix. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of the fact that it is silver because of the metropolitan area that I live in is known for its rain. I hate the fact that I have to take it to a dealership just to get the headlights and taillights replaced costing about $300 for 4 headlights.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I absolutely love the Chevy Malibu! In 2010 it saved my life in a rear end collision! I was stopped at a stoplight and a woman that was texting ended me at 55 miles an hour! It had all the right breaking points! Besides that I love the cruise! I also love the way it looks and it's comparable to the Camry for thousands of dollars less!!! Overall, Chevys are very dependable! It has all the bells whistles for reasonable prices! Also I like its durability. If you take care of a Chevy it will take care of you!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I purchased a Chevy Malibu because it offered heated seats heated and comfortable. It also had a plethora of useful additional features. The electric seating controls were a pleasant surprise and the sunroof make it a pleasure to drive on a sunny day. It drives like a dream and very pleased with the car. It also gets very very good gas mileage. The control features are extremely easy to access. Chevy Malibu exceeds all my expectations in a vehicle. Unbelievably easy to drive and a pleasant surprise was the ability of it to handle the variety of meteorological conditions which exist in my area of the country. But I am not particularly fond of all the computerization of current vehicles.

Original review: May 2, 2018

2017 Chevy Malibu - No troubles. Only about 1000 miles. Very high tech. All the bells and whistles. It has been flawless. A pleasure to drive. I just wish the dealer had not screwed me over on the price. Way overpriced.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I bought 2013 Chevy Malibu in 2015... 20k miles... In 2 1/2 years I only have 44, 000 miles on it... (And still owe on it) never really had any issues like some, I love the car. Gets routine maintenance by a dealer. One day out of the blue, no warnings, just shuts off while driving, had to get it towed. To only be told the engine is shot! Engine warranty expired in February this year. Called GM. With, "Oh well, your warranty expired." Waiting on hearing back from dealership. I do not have out of pocket money to pay for this. I will never buy another Chevy again nor will I recommend one. Wish I really would have checked with Consumer Affairs before making this purchase, because I wouldn't be where I am now.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I purposely chose the base model 1.8L engine over the more powerful 2.0. I knew I was giving up some pep, but I feel that I made the right decision since I average nearly 35 mpg highway. Not too shabby for a midsize sedan. Otherwise, the fit, finish, and aggressive styling of the interior and exterior of the Chevrolet Malibu are quite appealing. Equally important is that this is a very comfortable car to ride in.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Pretty much what everyone else said. I’ve had a lot of issues since my ownership of this car. I bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu in 2012 and it’s constantly having problems. Rear defrost doesn’t work at all and the other defrost hasn’t worked worth a crap since I had the vehicle. Auxiliary in the radio has not worked properly ever. Airbag light always coming on and off. Key fobs quit working, door locks work on and off sometimes 2 doors lock, sometimes all, sometimes one, sometimes none never consistent either. Not to mention the rear door locks are way in back so not easy to unlock manually. Doors lock when they shouldn’t, they’re suppose to engage on putting in drive they’ve locked before on closing the door, don’t ever exit the car without the keys in your hand never know when they’ll lock. One of the doors would pop open when shutting other doors.

All these issues have been ongoing since day one. There have been numerous recalls. Let’s not even talk about taking the bumper off to change headlights. Car currently leaks, so every time it rains or snows I’m sitting in a puddle. Apparently even though I’ve gone through all this and probably more that I’ve forgot it appears I’m luckier than many other reviewers. This whole vehicle should be recalled.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I purchased a new 2017 Malibu in December 2016. February 2017 my check engine light came on. I was told there was an issue that GM was aware of, but had no fix. Finally received the recall notice and had repairs completed in August 2017. I have had nothing, but issues ever since. My car has been in the shop 7 times within the last 8 months. Oxygen sensors have been replaced on 2 different occasions and the car has 26,000 miles. Typically sensors are not replaced until approx. 100,000 miles. I have also had accelerator pedal replaced as well as wire harness. My car works weeks to a month at time before I must return back to the dealer.

On 2 occasions my car lost power and only operated on reduce power at 20 mph. Very dangerous in high traffic area. I purchased a new vehicle so I would have reliable transportation and this car has been anything, but reliable. Not only does this affect the resale value of the vehicle it is putting my life, the life of my passengers as well as other motorists life in danger. The dealership and GM are of no help. I have contacted the DMV and filed my vehicle as a lemon with hopes of getting relieved of this expensive piece of trash. DO NOT BUY CHEVY OR GM VEHICLE!!! I wish I had known.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have had two friends within 6 months of one another have their 2.4 EcoCrack engines detonate on them. Both vehicles under 100k miles. Both had regular oil changes and general maintenance. The first one was in my buddy's 2010 Equinox and the latter is in my friend's 2012 Malibu. We gave a shot at replacing timing chain guide and other components to no avail in the Malibu. I vow to inform everyone about how GM has somehow paid off somebody to keep this rubbish from being recalled.

I will never purchase another Ford, GM, or Fiat, er I mean Chrysler for the remainder of my life. These organizations know quite well the problems consumers are experiencing with their products and they are not accepting responsibility. So the next time your child doesn't accept responsibility for their actions, it is a direct reflection of the attitudes of our elected officials and corporations. I denounce American corporations and politicians! This corruption will be the demise of this country!

Original review: March 31, 2018

2016 Chevy Malibu is a lemon! Since purchasing this car, brand new, I had to take it back to the service department numerous times, I’m on my 5th trip because the radio is not working and they can’t seem to find the problem, the tech said it may be electrical. I’ve had to get the tire sensors replaced, the battery replaced and other things done to the point that they are practically rebuilding the car. The steering column is not working properly either so they will have to look at that when I bring my car back to figure out why my radio even after replacing it, is still not operating! I’m done. I will never ever in my life buy another Chevy and I have steered all my friends, who like the way it looks, away from this lemon!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I own a 2011 Chevy Malibu. Bought it with 65k miles on it. Changed oil every 3 to 4k miles. 1st the fuel pump went out at 70k. Then the digital dash went out. At 102k miles the car quit while driving. Now the dealer said the engine needs to be replaced. Worst vehicle I ever owned in my life and will tell everybody I know and will never will buy a GM product again.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We have a 2012 Malibu with 43,000 miles. The transmission failed. We jumped through all of the hoops GM required to "research" this issue. It took approximately 2 weeks to finally be told there was nothing they could do. Although the service manager at the dealership where we took the car to be diagnosed stated it would be better to replace the transmission ($3800) rather than repair it ($2800) GM only offered to help with repair and quoted a price of ($3100) but would discount it to $2800. How generous of them! We will never purchase another GM product and will be happy to share this miserable experience whenever with whomever we can. Don't believe the ads. GM could not care less about the people who made the mistake of purchasing their product.

Original review: March 12, 2018

2016 Malibu Premier - This car is outstanding! 2.0-liter turbo has plenty of power at 250HP. Feature and build-wise it stands up to the Cadillac for a fraction of the cost. Only issue I have is the MyLink needs updating. Dealer is doing that for free on Sat. though. It sounds like the majority of issues are with the LT and LS models and the 1.8 or 1.5-liter motors. Gas mileage is also very good for such a large car. I'm averaging 32Mpg.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Here is my NIGHTMARE... I went thru the buyback program twice! Turn down both times. The Dealer Service Manager said it should be bought back. It's in shop now since 2/26/18 and still there. The Dealer has no idea what's going on. I'm close to 80 days in the shop in all. Pistons replaced, numerous sensors replaced etc.

Earlier this year I purchased a Chevy Malibu at Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville, Indiana; at that time it had ** miles. Unfortunately this vehicle has had numerous issues, including dangerous safety concerns since it was purchased. Provided below is the timeline of events: 2/25/17 Purchased vehicle. 4/5/17 Vehicle lost complete power. Identified problem: Accelerator Sensor issue. Repair time: 6 days. Note: Occurred while driving 65 mile/hour on I-65; myself, as well as other drivers were put in harm’s way. 8/ /17 Driver’s side power seat became jammed in the most forward position, thus leaving it undrivable- Identified problem: Repair time: 4 days. 10/10/17 Engine light came on. Identified problem: None, initially. However the brakes stopped working as the service manager was returning the car to me. Repair time: 4 days.

10/25/2017 Engine light came on. Left vehicle at service center on 10/26/2017. 10/30/2017: Identified problem: Piston rings need replaced. 10/31/2017: Replacement parts will not be in until the following week – per Customer Service Rep. 11/7/2017: Repair complete – Car picked up/pistons and rings were replaced. Repair time: 13 days. 10/31/2017 Case opened with GM. 11/9/2017 Received call from GM Rep. Rep stated they would call again on 11/10/2017 with an update.

11/10/2017 Engine light came on. Left vehicle at service center on 11/10/2017. Repair time: 19 days and counting… waiting on buyback program. 11/14/2017 GM Rep spoke with Hare Chevrolet Service Advisor, discussion included: “Buy-back” program – The question was asked by the GM Rep should the vehicle be placed in “buy-back” program, the Service Advisor stated “without question” it should be based on the vehicle’s multiple issues. GM Rep asked them to run the “GM Assistance Calculator” on current issue. Vehicle put in CAC Program. GM Rep called to inform me of this on 11/14/2017. GM Rep said she would call on Nov. 16th to follow up on the GM Assistance program for the new current issue. The GM Rep never called the Dealership nor myself.

Question I asked: Did you fix the problem that makes the pistons/rings melt? The answer is no because no one knows why this is happening. She told me she would call me on 11/16 to follow up on the GM assistance on the current issue and had talked to Jen at the dealership to also reach out to the district. On November 16th, Candice did not call me nor did she call the dealership. On November 20th, I called Candice in the afternoon. She did answer the phone. She first told me the vehicle was denied the buyback because of the mileage. She could not answer why the decision was made since mileage has nothing to do with the nonconformity of the Pistons/Rings?

This vehicle has had 3 sets of Pistons/Rings: Born on Date, Feb 8th by Hare Chevrolet (according to GM Records) and now in Oct. 2017. This is very common with the Malibu 1.5L engines. This has nothing to do with mileage. The statistics of this vehicle tells you that every 8/9 months the pistons/rings will have to be replaced. Stats don’t lie. This vehicle had to have pistons/rings replaced at approximate 21,000 miles and again in Oct. 2017 with an additional 35,000 miles. The vehicle was declined because of the mileage but there is no consideration if the car is safe or is non conforming and out of service of over 46 days combined.

In Shop in December for 4 days, In shop January for 2 days and now in shop since 2/26/18 and current date: 3/9/18. This has absolutely nothing do with mileage but it does with have everything to do with 1.5L engine that keeps melting itself and there is no fix to it. So that would be a nonconforming situation and a safety situation that will go on and on, never ending. Note: All repairs were done at the Hare Chevrolet Service Center.

Not sure about Chevy Malibu?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Chevy Malibu Company Information

www.chevrolet.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business