2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.29/5

The Chevrolet Malibu was manufactured and marketed from 1964-1983 and again from 1997 until present. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Chevy Malibu Reviews

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Bought 2018 Chevy Malibu in August of 2018. In October of 2018 the first recall. Then the loud bass comes from trunk (took to dealership 2x for this until it was fixed). Then engine light comes on. The car won't go any faster when you give it gas. Service stability track, low fuel, steering assist is reduced, lights come in. While it's parked & I'm trying to turn it off it says shift to park. Try to crank it & it won't. Get out of car, set alarm & it cranks up (I don't have remote start). I've brought it to dealership 2x before for this. 1st time it wasn't even in the computer that it was fixed. 2nd time it was actually reprogrammed & worked for a couple of months then the car went berserk again – same thing! I'm at the dealership again to see what the problem is. Car has less than 10000 miles on it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I bought my 2011 Chevy Malibu when it had 20,000 miles on it. This car has been nothing but a money pits. Dies in the middle of the road. The dealer nor any other shop can find the problem. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A CHEVY!!!! THESE CARS ARE JUNK!!!!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Have had a Chevy Malibu LTZ for 5 years. Great looking car and can outrun most foreign crap on the street. I have always bought American and the quality can match any foreign competitors. Buy American folks.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I purchased my 2017 Chevy Malibu new in August of 2017. My problems started on the 25th of August 2019 with 23904 miles on it. The anti traction light came on along with the check engine light. Then within minutes, A "engine is reducing power" message was displayed then the refuse to go over 30 miles an hour. Took to AutoNation for repairs.. On May 25th 2019, with 27682 miles on it, my Malibu broke down again for the same exact problem. It took AutoNation, 2 weeks to repair the car. Then on November 19, 2019 with 33772 miles on it, my Chevy Malibu broke down again for the same reason. I am so disappointed in my Chevy Malibu. I cannot wait to trade it in.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

My 2008 Malibu was totaled when someone hit us from behind. We were very lucky. Well I decided it saved our lives and it was a great car that I wanted another one so I purchased a new 2018 Malibu in Feb. 2019. It won’t get and go at a dead stop. It creeps. I’m afraid to pull in traffic and out of my neighborhood. I’m afraid I’m gonna get in an accident! Recall that is out says a light comes on. Mine doesn’t come on. They should be Ashamed of themselves!!!! How long before their consciences going to start bothering them. All of the reports out should really spark a fire before someone gets hurt. Not when lives are taken or affected. Do the right thing and fix these cars please!!!! I depended on them selling me a reliable car not a death trap!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Malibu?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I bought a 2017 Chevy Malibu premier with all the upgrades in November of ‘17. Since then it has been issue after issue. Issue with hitting gas and car not accelerating. Service bulletin on that one. Fixed. Front parking sensors always going off so I have to disable. Dealership “can’t duplicate”. Seal around sunroof visibly not secure. Lining slipping out where meets plastic parts of car. Water leaking into passenger side leg area. This was a broken air conditioning box. Now I look in trunk because I got a flat tire and I have 2” of water in wheel well. I personally will never buy a Chevy ever again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

This is my second 2018 Chevy Malibu with issues. The first one keep throwing error messages about reduced engine power. After vehicle was in shop for over a week the dealership gave me the option of getting another one from their inventory. Had the second one for just over two months and it started loosing power when accelerating. I was going 55mph down the road and lost all acceleration power. I have the vehicle parked now and will not drive until I find out from dealership my recourse for this issue. Very disappointed and don't like feeling unsafe in my vehicle.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Traded in my Monte Carlo for a 2018 Malibu. I rented several cars to compare to the Malibu before purchasing. The Altima was a piece of junk compared to the Malibu. I'm on a budget, so I purchased the base model. This car has more features than anything I've ever driven. It even has a sensor to tell you something is on the backseat when you close the door. Went on vacation in it with the family. Five of us in that car for 4300 miles and everyone was mostly happy with the ride. Great as mileage, very comfortable and the trunk is large. Being able to turn OnStar on and off is great also. Used it as a mobile hotspot on vacation, but don't need it for commuting. No problem, they turn it off and the billing stops. Brought it to the dealer for an oil change expecting to pay $60 or more .. It was $30.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Brought my 2018 Chevy Malibu brand new. One week later I began hearing a humming noise when driving and bad when braking. I took it to the dealership and they stated that they could not "duplicate the noise". I took it back one week later and they told me that it was the noise cancellation, so they changed it. Humming never went away. I took my car back. They said that it was the microphone and speakers, so they changed them. The noise never went away. Now, one year later still humming but when the weather is hot, I just deal with it now. Last week when I shifted my car to park the control center is telling me "shift to park" when it is in park. Dealership told me that it was a common problem. Lastly, drove to Wisconsin. When I stopped to get gas, I tried starting the car message. The screen read "Service stability link," whatever that means. I am completely unhappy with Chevy. I am looking towards other makers.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I purchased my '16 Malibu brand new from a Chevy dealership. I religiously took my car in to the same dealership to get my regular oil changes and preventative maintenance. As soon as it was just out of warranty I started having problems with a misfiring cylinder. Turns out I needed a $5000 repair for a cracked piston (this is at 70k miles) and was told by the dealership this is not an isolated incident with these cars. A few thousand miles later here I sit at the dealership writing this as I need another $400 repair for an accelerator pedal issue (not covered under anything of course). Don't make the same mistake I did falling for slick marketing and the myth of good ole American made Chevy vehicles. This is my second GM vehicle that has gone to hell before coming close to reaching 100k miles and I can easily say it will be my last. I cannot spread the word to enough people how disappointed I am in the quality of this car. BEWARE.

Chevy Malibu Company Information