3.56/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevy Malibu

The Chevrolet Malibu was manufactured and marketed from 1964-1983 and again from 1997 until present. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevy Malibu Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Traded in my Monte Carlo for a 2018 Malibu. I rented several cars to compare to the Malibu before purchasing. The Altima was a piece of junk compared to the Malibu. I'm on a budget, so I purchased the base model. This car has more features than anything I've ever driven. It even has a sensor to tell you something is on the backseat when you close the door. Went on vacation in it with the family. Five of us in that car for 4300 miles and everyone was mostly happy with the ride. Great as mileage, very comfortable and the trunk is large. Being able to turn OnStar on and off is great also. Used it as a mobile hotspot on vacation, but don't need it for commuting. No problem, they turn it off and the billing stops. Brought it to the dealer for an oil change expecting to pay $60 or more .. It was $30.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I purchased a 2017 Chevy Malibu 1LT with 1.5 motor. We have about 25000 miles on car. We have had no problems with car, it's very comfortable to drive. It's just got enough power but not fast. Wife loves the car. I have not had any of the issues your other readers have had with water. So far seems like good car.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT Overview - I have owned my Chevy Malibu for about a year now and I could not be more pleased with my purchase. I bought my Malibu as a used car with a rebuilt title when it had almost 14,000 miles on it. The title was rebuilt because the car had some front-end damage that was caused and repaired by the previous owner. So far, I have drove my Malibu about 20,000 miles and have not encountered any issues other than some minimal hail damage.

Technology - The interior of the car is very sharp and simple, which I love. Unlike most new cars on the market, the Chevy Malibu does not have a ton of little buttons that can confuse and distract some drivers while on the road. The Malibu has a clear and easy-to-use touchscreen that handles most of your needs, including; voice commands, Bluetooth music, GPS navigation, and much more. My favorite thing about this touchscreen is the Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto feature. This feature allows anyone to plug in their Apple or Android smartphone into one of the six available USB ports/outlets and automatically display their phone’s navigation, music, and much more.

Interior - When I first bought my Malibu, I was a little spectacle about the black leather seats that it came with since I had never owned a car with leather seats before. It did not take me long at all to adjust to the leather and now I wouldn’t trade them for any other kind of seat. They are much easier to keep clean compared to cloth seats and the seat warmer is a tremendous plus during the winter. Another great part about the interior of the Malibu is the amount of room the driver and each passenger has. The Malibu is one of the most spacious sedans on the market right now.

Engine - The most important part of a car is its engine, and I have never drove a car with a more fun and efficient one as my Malibu. With a 1.5-liter turbo engine, you can expect to get around 27 miles per gallon in town and up to 37 on the highway, while enjoying the impressive acceleration and speed that the turbo provides. Although the Malibu is two-wheel drive, I have had no problems driving in the harsh winters of Iowa. Conclusion - I would recommend a Chevy Malibu to anyone looking for an affordable, efficient, and great-looking vehicle. This car truly has all the features a driver would ever need and want, at a price that is much lower than most of its competitors with the same features.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

My 2008 Malibu was totaled when someone hit us from behind. We were very lucky. Well I decided it saved our lives and it was a great car that I wanted another one so I purchased a new 2018 Malibu in Feb. 2019. It won’t get and go at a dead stop. It creeps. I’m afraid to pull in traffic and out of my neighborhood. I’m afraid I’m gonna get in an accident! Recall that is out says a light comes on. Mine doesn’t come on. They should be Ashamed of themselves!!!! How long before their consciences going to start bothering them. All of the reports out should really spark a fire before someone gets hurt. Not when lives are taken or affected. Do the right thing and fix these cars please!!!! I depended on them selling me a reliable car not a death trap!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I bought a 2017 Chevy Malibu premier with all the upgrades in November of ‘17. Since then it has been issue after issue. Issue with hitting gas and car not accelerating. Service bulletin on that one. Fixed. Front parking sensors always going off so I have to disable. Dealership “can’t duplicate”. Seal around sunroof visibly not secure. Lining slipping out where meets plastic parts of car. Water leaking into passenger side leg area. This was a broken air conditioning box. Now I look in trunk because I got a flat tire and I have 2” of water in wheel well. I personally will never buy a Chevy ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Malibu?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

This is my second 2018 Chevy Malibu with issues. The first one keep throwing error messages about reduced engine power. After vehicle was in shop for over a week the dealership gave me the option of getting another one from their inventory. Had the second one for just over two months and it started loosing power when accelerating. I was going 55mph down the road and lost all acceleration power. I have the vehicle parked now and will not drive until I find out from dealership my recourse for this issue. Very disappointed and don't like feeling unsafe in my vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Brought my 2018 Chevy Malibu brand new. One week later I began hearing a humming noise when driving and bad when braking. I took it to the dealership and they stated that they could not "duplicate the noise". I took it back one week later and they told me that it was the noise cancellation, so they changed it. Humming never went away. I took my car back. They said that it was the microphone and speakers, so they changed them. The noise never went away. Now, one year later still humming but when the weather is hot, I just deal with it now. Last week when I shifted my car to park the control center is telling me "shift to park" when it is in park. Dealership told me that it was a common problem. Lastly, drove to Wisconsin. When I stopped to get gas, I tried starting the car message. The screen read "Service stability link," whatever that means. I am completely unhappy with Chevy. I am looking towards other makers.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I purchased my '16 Malibu brand new from a Chevy dealership. I religiously took my car in to the same dealership to get my regular oil changes and preventative maintenance. As soon as it was just out of warranty I started having problems with a misfiring cylinder. Turns out I needed a $5000 repair for a cracked piston (this is at 70k miles) and was told by the dealership this is not an isolated incident with these cars. A few thousand miles later here I sit at the dealership writing this as I need another $400 repair for an accelerator pedal issue (not covered under anything of course). Don't make the same mistake I did falling for slick marketing and the myth of good ole American made Chevy vehicles. This is my second GM vehicle that has gone to hell before coming close to reaching 100k miles and I can easily say it will be my last. I cannot spread the word to enough people how disappointed I am in the quality of this car. BEWARE.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I was about 3 hours away from home shooting a wedding. Went to head for home and when pressing the gas pedal the car didn't want to go. I immediately called my husband and said there's something wrong with the car. Thank God I made it home safely. We bring it to the shop and get a lovely phone call informing us the motor is shot. Junk. My 2013 less than 70k mile car we just paid off less than a year ago and just registered for the year with the state is junk. We got it home and now it is sitting in our yard and won't even start. I'm furious! I've always been a Chevy person, but this is just not right. I've read SEVERAL reports of very similar situations just like mine. Why is there not a recall out there on these motors GM!?! We don't have between 3-$6,000 that they quoted us to have it fixed. I'm stay at home mom, luckily my husband has a work truck so I can use his other truck otherwise we'd have a whole other issue to deal with. What a joke.

Original review: June 6, 2019

This is a beautiful car on the outside but if you're looking for speed this is not the car 4 cylinder. The car is so slow people pull up to race me and I’m like "I don’t know why you pulled up for we not going anywhere" and that’s at 60 mph! My biggest regret but at least next time I’ll know to really look over the car, just got too excited for this 2018 Malibu with low miles! I’m hoping they recall these cars and just offer people another vehicle or a refund! For those who aren’t satisfied!

Chevy Malibu Company Information