2.50/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

593 Chevy Malibu Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased my 2017 Chevy Malibu last October with 17,000 miles on it at the time. Since October of 2017, I have had to take it back to the dealership 5 times for multiple problems including: Car not turning off; Driver's seatbelt not buckling; Wire sensors in engine had to be replaced; Transmission control had to be replaced and currently I have water getting in the roof and seats of my car every time it rains. Also, trying to trade the car back in they only offered me $12,000 for it with only 27,000 miles on it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

My mom told me to choose this car over Kia Optima. It was a better price than the Kia and parts are easier to get. The dealership had a good deal on the Chevy Malibu and salesman gave me that. The car has clean lines and updated. I like the touchscreen on the dashboard and Bluetooth is convenient. But I wanted a different color. I like black and dark colors. And if the car wasn't so wide I would like it more. I'm used to driving Nissan Sentra and compact cars. The Chevy Malibu is very smooth driving and I feel Very safe to drive.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought a 2015 Chevrolet Malibu a little over a year ago and my rear brake calipers are so hot that they are literally melting the back tires on the car... Of course my warranty is no longer valid. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of problem with this year and make.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I really spent a lot of time researching the car purchase. I really like my new Chevy Malibu because the cars drive is smooth. It’s very sturdy of a car and also really a quiet ride. The car’s Backup camera is absolutely the greatest and also has cruise control. The other models that I considered just didn't have the same features and the price was not comparable to what I was getting with this car. However, trunk isn't as big as I wanted. I also had issues with the detailing coming off in certain spots. Plus, the engine wasn't as big as I would have liked it to be.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My Chevrolet Malibu has been very good to me. I have had very minimal issues with it. It runs great for the year it is (it's a 2005) which is fairly old. But for the year it has been great. The exterior appearance is in good condition. It's got good trunk space and plenty of space for my children in the backseat. I chose this car because it's good on gas and I like the overall appearance of it. Overall, I am 100% satisfied with my vehicle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Original review: June 16, 2018

The Chevrolet Malibu Classic 2005 runs smoothly and I love driving this car. And I like the color of it. When I bought it everything I asked for to have in my next car worked and still does right down to the lighters working so I can charge my phone while driving. My blinkers and the air condition worked. But the car had the wrong thermostat in it. It for a summer one and I needed one to replace this, so it could put out more heat for the winter. Now I had IT FIXED.

I have already put around 1000 dollars in it to keep it running. But I have a brake and rotor job to do still. This week I'm going to buy my second pair of window wipers because the one I have on it now, the rubber on the drivers side does not touch the window to be able to wipe the lower half of my wind shield. Then I think my car will be good for a while. But I wish they had tinted windows. And I wish it didn't have chips of paint off the front of the car. If I could only afford to have a paint job done on it then I would love the car even more.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The Chevrolet Malibu used to be a sports car. Now it's a family sedan. It is a good, quality, well-running American-made vehicle. The car is sturdy. It is durable. It is long lasting. I like that this has been a reliable basic car: always starts, gets us where we are going, little to no maintenance. Just gas and oil, mostly. An occasional tune-up. Nothing fancy. Any mechanic can perform it. This is good because we live in a rural town where you can't get fancy mechanical services. However, it has complex dashboard features I have been unable to entirely figure out. For example, the heating system is too complicated and not user intuitive. Overall, it was a good car, would purchase again.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought the Chevy Malibu mainly for the OnStar system. This system is excellent and simple to use. The car however has not been such good buy. I have had some problems with the car and have not been too happy with it. The car has had tire, brake, battery and window problems and all item repaired came out of pocket. The OnStar is its only saving grace. I like the handling of the car, the leathers inside and the color of interior. But I would improve paint on exterior because my car has serious paint peeling. It was a factory defect that was not covered by warranty. The door developed a leak in the driver's window that was not covered either. I would also improve gas mileage. It is acceptable but not too much. Will really think before I purchase another Chevy.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My Chevy Malibu 2005 runs great. I drive it to and from work every day. I would not trade it for anything. This car is the car of cars. If you don't drive a Chevrolet then you are not driving a good car. I simply love my car. I like its radio, cd player, remote start. It has nice tires. Cool gray color, nice interior and exterior, great running motor. Chevy cars are built to last a long time great running vehicles. Body style is great as well. I will be using this cars for long time. If you want a nice clean car get a Chevy Malibu. You won't be sorry. It's a cool car and nice perks too. But 22" rims would make the car stand out and dvd players in the headrest to keep the boy busy. I may one day put a sunroof in the car. I am one very happy customer. I smile when I think of my car.

Original review: June 12, 2018

This 2016 Chevy Malibu is our second Malibu. They are well made and reliable. I like the warning lights when they work. In the last Malibu the gas tank gauge stopped working and the cost to fix it was outrageous. Nevertheless, we like Chevys, easy to drive not too fancy. We have had good experience with these cars other than the gas gauge. Also, the top coat started to come off. The interior lights do not come on soon as you open door at night. There is a tire that loses air in cold weather. Still, very satisfied with car.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I absolutely love the Chevy Malibu! In 2010 it saved my life in a rear end collision! I was stopped at a stoplight and a woman that was texting ended me at 55 miles an hour! It had all the right breaking points! Besides that I love the cruise! I also love the way it looks and it's comparable to the Camry for thousands of dollars less!!! Overall, Chevys are very dependable! It has all the bells whistles for reasonable prices! Also I like its durability. If you take care of a Chevy it will take care of you!

Original review: May 2, 2018

2017 Chevy Malibu - No troubles. Only about 1000 miles. Very high tech. All the bells and whistles. It has been flawless. A pleasure to drive. I just wish the dealer had not screwed me over on the price. Way overpriced.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I bought 2013 Chevy Malibu in 2015... 20k miles... In 2 1/2 years I only have 44, 000 miles on it... (And still owe on it) never really had any issues like some, I love the car. Gets routine maintenance by a dealer. One day out of the blue, no warnings, just shuts off while driving, had to get it towed. To only be told the engine is shot! Engine warranty expired in February this year. Called GM. With, "Oh well, your warranty expired." Waiting on hearing back from dealership. I do not have out of pocket money to pay for this. I will never buy another Chevy again nor will I recommend one. Wish I really would have checked with Consumer Affairs before making this purchase, because I wouldn't be where I am now.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I purposely chose the base model 1.8L engine over the more powerful 2.0. I knew I was giving up some pep, but I feel that I made the right decision since I average nearly 35 mpg highway. Not too shabby for a midsize sedan. Otherwise, the fit, finish, and aggressive styling of the interior and exterior of the Chevrolet Malibu are quite appealing. Equally important is that this is a very comfortable car to ride in.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Pretty much what everyone else said. I’ve had a lot of issues since my ownership of this car. I bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu in 2012 and it’s constantly having problems. Rear defrost doesn’t work at all and the other defrost hasn’t worked worth a crap since I had the vehicle. Auxiliary in the radio has not worked properly ever. Airbag light always coming on and off. Key fobs quit working, door locks work on and off sometimes 2 doors lock, sometimes all, sometimes one, sometimes none never consistent either. Not to mention the rear door locks are way in back so not easy to unlock manually. Doors lock when they shouldn’t, they’re suppose to engage on putting in drive they’ve locked before on closing the door, don’t ever exit the car without the keys in your hand never know when they’ll lock. One of the doors would pop open when shutting other doors.

All these issues have been ongoing since day one. There have been numerous recalls. Let’s not even talk about taking the bumper off to change headlights. Car currently leaks, so every time it rains or snows I’m sitting in a puddle. Apparently even though I’ve gone through all this and probably more that I’ve forgot it appears I’m luckier than many other reviewers. This whole vehicle should be recalled.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I purchased a new 2017 Malibu in December 2016. February 2017 my check engine light came on. I was told there was an issue that GM was aware of, but had no fix. Finally received the recall notice and had repairs completed in August 2017. I have had nothing, but issues ever since. My car has been in the shop 7 times within the last 8 months. Oxygen sensors have been replaced on 2 different occasions and the car has 26,000 miles. Typically sensors are not replaced until approx. 100,000 miles. I have also had accelerator pedal replaced as well as wire harness. My car works weeks to a month at time before I must return back to the dealer.

On 2 occasions my car lost power and only operated on reduce power at 20 mph. Very dangerous in high traffic area. I purchased a new vehicle so I would have reliable transportation and this car has been anything, but reliable. Not only does this affect the resale value of the vehicle it is putting my life, the life of my passengers as well as other motorists life in danger. The dealership and GM are of no help. I have contacted the DMV and filed my vehicle as a lemon with hopes of getting relieved of this expensive piece of trash. DO NOT BUY CHEVY OR GM VEHICLE!!! I wish I had known.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have had two friends within 6 months of one another have their 2.4 EcoCrack engines detonate on them. Both vehicles under 100k miles. Both had regular oil changes and general maintenance. The first one was in my buddy's 2010 Equinox and the latter is in my friend's 2012 Malibu. We gave a shot at replacing timing chain guide and other components to no avail in the Malibu. I vow to inform everyone about how GM has somehow paid off somebody to keep this rubbish from being recalled.

I will never purchase another Ford, GM, or Fiat, er I mean Chrysler for the remainder of my life. These organizations know quite well the problems consumers are experiencing with their products and they are not accepting responsibility. So the next time your child doesn't accept responsibility for their actions, it is a direct reflection of the attitudes of our elected officials and corporations. I denounce American corporations and politicians! This corruption will be the demise of this country!

Original review: March 31, 2018

2016 Chevy Malibu is a lemon! Since purchasing this car, brand new, I had to take it back to the service department numerous times, I’m on my 5th trip because the radio is not working and they can’t seem to find the problem, the tech said it may be electrical. I’ve had to get the tire sensors replaced, the battery replaced and other things done to the point that they are practically rebuilding the car. The steering column is not working properly either so they will have to look at that when I bring my car back to figure out why my radio even after replacing it, is still not operating! I’m done. I will never ever in my life buy another Chevy and I have steered all my friends, who like the way it looks, away from this lemon!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I own a 2011 Chevy Malibu. Bought it with 65k miles on it. Changed oil every 3 to 4k miles. 1st the fuel pump went out at 70k. Then the digital dash went out. At 102k miles the car quit while driving. Now the dealer said the engine needs to be replaced. Worst vehicle I ever owned in my life and will tell everybody I know and will never will buy a GM product again.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We have a 2012 Malibu with 43,000 miles. The transmission failed. We jumped through all of the hoops GM required to "research" this issue. It took approximately 2 weeks to finally be told there was nothing they could do. Although the service manager at the dealership where we took the car to be diagnosed stated it would be better to replace the transmission ($3800) rather than repair it ($2800) GM only offered to help with repair and quoted a price of ($3100) but would discount it to $2800. How generous of them! We will never purchase another GM product and will be happy to share this miserable experience whenever with whomever we can. Don't believe the ads. GM could not care less about the people who made the mistake of purchasing their product.

Original review: March 12, 2018

2016 Malibu Premier - This car is outstanding! 2.0-liter turbo has plenty of power at 250HP. Feature and build-wise it stands up to the Cadillac for a fraction of the cost. Only issue I have is the MyLink needs updating. Dealer is doing that for free on Sat. though. It sounds like the majority of issues are with the LT and LS models and the 1.8 or 1.5-liter motors. Gas mileage is also very good for such a large car. I'm averaging 32Mpg.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Here is my NIGHTMARE... I went thru the buyback program twice! Turn down both times. The Dealer Service Manager said it should be bought back. It's in shop now since 2/26/18 and still there. The Dealer has no idea what's going on. I'm close to 80 days in the shop in all. Pistons replaced, numerous sensors replaced etc.

Earlier this year I purchased a Chevy Malibu at Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville, Indiana; at that time it had ** miles. Unfortunately this vehicle has had numerous issues, including dangerous safety concerns since it was purchased. Provided below is the timeline of events: 2/25/17 Purchased vehicle. 4/5/17 Vehicle lost complete power. Identified problem: Accelerator Sensor issue. Repair time: 6 days. Note: Occurred while driving 65 mile/hour on I-65; myself, as well as other drivers were put in harm’s way. 8/ /17 Driver’s side power seat became jammed in the most forward position, thus leaving it undrivable- Identified problem: Repair time: 4 days. 10/10/17 Engine light came on. Identified problem: None, initially. However the brakes stopped working as the service manager was returning the car to me. Repair time: 4 days.

10/25/2017 Engine light came on. Left vehicle at service center on 10/26/2017. 10/30/2017: Identified problem: Piston rings need replaced. 10/31/2017: Replacement parts will not be in until the following week – per Customer Service Rep. 11/7/2017: Repair complete – Car picked up/pistons and rings were replaced. Repair time: 13 days. 10/31/2017 Case opened with GM. 11/9/2017 Received call from GM Rep. Rep stated they would call again on 11/10/2017 with an update.

11/10/2017 Engine light came on. Left vehicle at service center on 11/10/2017. Repair time: 19 days and counting… waiting on buyback program. 11/14/2017 GM Rep spoke with Hare Chevrolet Service Advisor, discussion included: “Buy-back” program – The question was asked by the GM Rep should the vehicle be placed in “buy-back” program, the Service Advisor stated “without question” it should be based on the vehicle’s multiple issues. GM Rep asked them to run the “GM Assistance Calculator” on current issue. Vehicle put in CAC Program. GM Rep called to inform me of this on 11/14/2017. GM Rep said she would call on Nov. 16th to follow up on the GM Assistance program for the new current issue. The GM Rep never called the Dealership nor myself.

Question I asked: Did you fix the problem that makes the pistons/rings melt? The answer is no because no one knows why this is happening. She told me she would call me on 11/16 to follow up on the GM assistance on the current issue and had talked to Jen at the dealership to also reach out to the district. On November 16th, Candice did not call me nor did she call the dealership. On November 20th, I called Candice in the afternoon. She did answer the phone. She first told me the vehicle was denied the buyback because of the mileage. She could not answer why the decision was made since mileage has nothing to do with the nonconformity of the Pistons/Rings?

This vehicle has had 3 sets of Pistons/Rings: Born on Date, Feb 8th by Hare Chevrolet (according to GM Records) and now in Oct. 2017. This is very common with the Malibu 1.5L engines. This has nothing to do with mileage. The statistics of this vehicle tells you that every 8/9 months the pistons/rings will have to be replaced. Stats don’t lie. This vehicle had to have pistons/rings replaced at approximate 21,000 miles and again in Oct. 2017 with an additional 35,000 miles. The vehicle was declined because of the mileage but there is no consideration if the car is safe or is non conforming and out of service of over 46 days combined.

In Shop in December for 4 days, In shop January for 2 days and now in shop since 2/26/18 and current date: 3/9/18. This has absolutely nothing do with mileage but it does with have everything to do with 1.5L engine that keeps melting itself and there is no fix to it. So that would be a nonconforming situation and a safety situation that will go on and on, never ending. Note: All repairs were done at the Hare Chevrolet Service Center.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I purchased my Chevy Malibu from Jeff Smith County Chevrolet (Essex, Ontario) at the end of Dec. 2016. I have previously owned 4 GM vehicles (a Grand Prix, Trans Am and 2 Grand Am’s.) and enjoyed each one. This vehicle however has been a nightmare. Shortly after purchasing this vehicle (mid June) I experienced a problem with the remote. I was out shopping and the vehicle would not open. Fortunately for me I was outside Home Hardware where the staff is very customer service friendly and they were able to replace the battery for me. My next disappointment came when I returned from a weeks holiday the end of Aug. and the vehicle would not start. On Star was unable to start the vehicle and a call to roadside assistance resulted in them informing me that the battery was dead. I vacationed with 6 adults each one owned a vehicle, mine was the newest and my vehicle was the only one that would not start.

In Sept., I drove my grandson to art class and left him while I did some shopping. When I came out of the store the vehicle would not open using the remote. I tried the button on the door handle with no success. I was panicked because I needed to pick up my grandson. After making several calls to family I called roadside assistance where they hung up on me because they stated they could not hear me. After 10 mins. I tried the remote again and the vehicle opened & started. At this point I lost all faith in this vehicle and felt it was unsafe. On the 10th of November I was driving down the street and stopped for the red light, when I put my foot on the gas to go, the car jumped. A little concerned, I drove on, and at the next light it repeated the same behavior. I pulled into a parking lot and positioned myself to pull through the parking space.

When I put the vehicle in reverse to straighten it, it would not reverse. I drove the vehicle home and parked on the road so I would not have to back it out of the driveway. I called the dealer in the morning and dropped it off. I waited about 6 weeks for them to get parts to repair it. (During this time I stressed to the dealer that I felt the vehicle to be unsafe and did not wish to keep it.) The dealer notified me that the vehicle was repaired but after driving it they felt the transmission needed to be replaced. I met with the owner Jeff Smith and again stated that I was uncomfortable driving this vehicle and would like them to trade me a vehicle (demo) from the lot. Jeff stated that he was not prepared to do that but he would talk to a GM rep regarding my situation. During this process I was in touch with GM’s Customer Care office and that experience was not pleasant.

Not only did I not receive any advice or concern they rarely returned my phone calls. My vehicle was in the shop waiting to be repaired for 3 months and no one listened to my concerns. I stated on numerous occasions that I wanted GM to buy this vehicle back. I picked it up on the 12th of February 2018. Three months! I received an email from the Customer Care Rep on the 16th of February offering me 2 months car payments and an extended warranty for 4 years, the offer to expire on February 20th. I replied stating that I was not keeping the vehicle and I wanted GM to buy it back. I received my second email from Customer Care last week offering me $3000 as a trade incentive. I was to accept the offer by the end of Feb.

I realize GM is a very large company and I am literally no one, but I am a consumer and this will not be my last vehicle purchase. I believe in customer service and standing behind the products you build and sell. GM has let me down and now I will be out thousands of dollars trading this vehicle in. I will not be trading it in on a GM product. I hope that GM will reconsider my request and buy back my lemon.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Company car (2017 Chevy Malibu) picked up 9/2016 nine months later check engine light came on. Took it to dealer. Injectors replaced. Four to five months later second check engine light. Dealer replaced O2 sensor. Again third time. Check engine light OMG...more to come from this saga???

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have the same issue with my 2011 Malibu that I've read from hundreds on the internet. Only 92000 miles kept up on services, bought new and a extended warranty (That's useless). All of a sudden no warning I have no transmission! Called Chevy garage to get the same answer that others have gotten. Chevy/GM has no support or resolution for the issue! So upset with this and Chevy! Why buy new or American??

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

After seeing nearly 600 complaints about the Chevrolet Malibu and reading the first 20 everyone needs to log all these complaints with Chevrolet and demand compensation (whether money, new engines, new car etc.). I just did this and hoping something will come of it if enough people complain. I currently own a 2013 Chevy Malibu Eco that I bought new just after graduating grad school. Excited. This was the first car I purchased. I thought I got a great deal. About 2 years into having the car (2015) I had to get the battery replaced... Too soon in my opinion but it was about -40F in Chicago so I chalked it up to that.

In the winter of 2016 I noticed my engine was ticking while I was idle and I decided to take it in to the dealership. Mind you at this point my car only has about 30000 miles so it is thankfully still under bumper to bumper. They told me my oil pan was leaking and got that fixed but told me to take my car into the dealership every 1000 miles so they can monitor oil consumption. They must have known something was up but didn't tell me. Took it back to the dealership and my oil levels were fine so I just go get regular oil changes.

Cue Fall of 2017 or the year my car went kaput. At this point my car has about 45000 miles on it (I don't drive a lot in Chicago) and I am driving in the middle of a very busy road in Chicago and my car shuts off. I am praying it will turn back on because I am in the middle of the street. I get it on and coast into a parking lot. Thankfully I am right down the road from the dealership so I take it in. They charge me $200 to look at my car and tell me my oil level is low (I had an oil change maybe 2.5 months prior) and they suggest an oil change. They said something could be wrong with my engine but they don't know. Well I get my car back and it works again...for about a week. I am driving it back home and it does the same thing, dies on my street. Check engine light is on and I am livid. I was just at the shop a week ago.

I call OnStar and they give me a diagnostic code of p0036 - something with the emissions system. I have my Fiance follow me as I drive my car to the dealership. While driving it shuts off multiple times in the middle of the road and the steering wheel locks up. Not safe at all! Thankfully I was not on the highway when all of this happened. I get it to the dealership and they end up replacing my intake and exhaust camshaft actuator solenoids. Thankfully this is covered under powertrain so I take my car and drive off assuming it is fine.

About 2 months later I go outside to start my car to drive to the train and what do you know it, the check engine light is on again. The car is driving very slow. I am beside myself because how can this happen again. This time onstar gave me two diagnostic codes p0036 and p062f. Pretty much saying the engine is failing. I checked my oil level and it is good. I am taking it to the dealership again but have called Chevrolet and complained. I asked them to make sure they log this so maybe they can have a recall. I have also asked for them to either give me a new car, new engine or buy my car back. This is ridiculous now that I see so many people having the same issues. A car with less than 50000 miles should not have engine problems.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I purchased my 2013 Chevy Malibu brand new. I have had problems from the start. First, the back driver's side trim kept getting stuck and ripped off. The Chevy dealer keeps fixing the problem but it still keeps happening. Second, in the winter, a service light came on. I took it back to the dealer who stated to me they can't fix the problem unless the light is on. Makes no sense to me. Then just today the car would not start, opened the hood and the battery leaked. The corrosion was so bad it ate the nut and screw. Looked on forums to find sooo many people have the same problem. This car is a joke. Why Chevy, why!! I only have 40,000 miles on this car and am putting more money into it. Good job! NOT!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I own a 2015 Malibu 2LT and purchased it from dealer with 24,000 miles. My car cranks by itself! Without keys in it. Dealership says nothing wrong with it. But it never happens in by the time I get to mechanic. Going crazy! Any suggestions?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I've owned this car going on 2 years. Not only have my transmission seals completely broke twice within the first 6 months owning it, my transmission and timing chain have both went at 96k. I am looking at over almost $5000 on repairs on a car I still owe $6000 which puts me at over $21k after everything is said and done. I am highly disappointed in Chevy solely because they know of these transmission problems and will not fix the issue.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I bought my 2014 Chevy Malibu lt 9/11/2015. The vehicle had about 30 thousands miles on it. It is now been 2 years and my engine is already going out, right after I got to 130k miles. I constantly get my vehicle checked every 1-2 months and no one has ever said there was a problem. All of a sudden about 2 days ago my check engine light came on and it also started flashing out of nowhere. Next day I took the car to the nearby GMC dealership and they told me I’m going to have to replace my whole engine, which will cost $7000 out of pocket. 2014 was suppose to be General Motors best year for vehicles. I do work for the General Motors company and I’m very upset. I love my car and it was my very first car. I really hope GM will go ahead and replace for me, even though I’m over warranty terms. I honestly do think that I just got a bad engine from the supplier.

Chevy Malibu Company Information