2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5

The Chevrolet Malibu was manufactured and marketed from 1964-1983 and again from 1997 until present. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Chevy Malibu Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Malibu?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Malibu?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Brought my 2018 Chevy Malibu brand new. One week later I began hearing a humming noise when driving and bad when braking. I took it to the dealership and they stated that they could not "duplicate the noise". I took it back one week later and they told me that it was the noise cancellation, so they changed it. Humming never went away. I took my car back. They said that it was the microphone and speakers, so they changed them. The noise never went away. Now, one year later still humming but when the weather is hot, I just deal with it now. Last week when I shifted my car to park the control center is telling me "shift to park" when it is in park. Dealership told me that it was a common problem. Lastly, drove to Wisconsin. When I stopped to get gas, I tried starting the car message. The screen read "Service stability link," whatever that means. I am completely unhappy with Chevy. I am looking towards other makers.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I purchased my '16 Malibu brand new from a Chevy dealership. I religiously took my car in to the same dealership to get my regular oil changes and preventative maintenance. As soon as it was just out of warranty I started having problems with a misfiring cylinder. Turns out I needed a $5000 repair for a cracked piston (this is at 70k miles) and was told by the dealership this is not an isolated incident with these cars. A few thousand miles later here I sit at the dealership writing this as I need another $400 repair for an accelerator pedal issue (not covered under anything of course). Don't make the same mistake I did falling for slick marketing and the myth of good ole American made Chevy vehicles. This is my second GM vehicle that has gone to hell before coming close to reaching 100k miles and I can easily say it will be my last. I cannot spread the word to enough people how disappointed I am in the quality of this car. BEWARE.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I was about 3 hours away from home shooting a wedding. Went to head for home and when pressing the gas pedal the car didn't want to go. I immediately called my husband and said there's something wrong with the car. Thank God I made it home safely. We bring it to the shop and get a lovely phone call informing us the motor is shot. Junk. My 2013 less than 70k mile car we just paid off less than a year ago and just registered for the year with the state is junk. We got it home and now it is sitting in our yard and won't even start. I'm furious! I've always been a Chevy person, but this is just not right. I've read SEVERAL reports of very similar situations just like mine. Why is there not a recall out there on these motors GM!?! We don't have between 3-$6,000 that they quoted us to have it fixed. I'm stay at home mom, luckily my husband has a work truck so I can use his other truck otherwise we'd have a whole other issue to deal with. What a joke.

Original review: June 6, 2019

This is a beautiful car on the outside but if you're looking for speed this is not the car 4 cylinder. The car is so slow people pull up to race me and I’m like "I don’t know why you pulled up for we not going anywhere" and that’s at 60 mph! My biggest regret but at least next time I’ll know to really look over the car, just got too excited for this 2018 Malibu with low miles! I’m hoping they recall these cars and just offer people another vehicle or a refund! For those who aren’t satisfied!

Original review: May 24, 2019

My 2016 Chevy Malibu has 93,000 miles on it. No issues until this day. Last week I was driving it in a neighborhood about 40 miles from my home. When I got to the neighborhood I had to apply my brakes. The brakes were locked at top of the pedal. I was unable to stop. Scared the ** out of me! Dropped the people off. Drove 3 blocks to a 7-Eleven, scared to drive any further. Parked and the car died and would not start. Waiting 3 hours for the tow truck, finally got the CHEVY MALIBU and myself home a 5am. Had a mobile mechanic run a diagnostic on it. Multiple issues came up. Everything from multiple brakes issues and even more engine issues. Tried several tricks to remove what seemed to be air in the brake lines. No chance. Had to towed to a Chevy dealership nearby. Brake tech ran a diagnostic, said not brakes, it’s an engine issue. Engine tech says it “maybe” timing or cam shaft. $2500 on a maybe, best they can tell from the diagnostic.

From all the reviews I have read about this very same issue and the guessing game at owner's expense. None of these have fixed the issues. While reading the reviews, I read 3 people have died from this very same issue. In addition GM has remove any and all warranty on this vehicle above the 36,000 miles. GM will not take any responsibility for the CHEVY MALIBU death trap which they are fully aware of. No recall, No repair support for the dealership that now is involved with this worthless product. My question for GM IS, "HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE BEFORE THEY WILL DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT?" I say to the CEO OF GM. I want one of your family members to have my car as their daily drive. But wait the engine will not even turn over. Nothing but a paperweight now. To all head honchos at GM I have large car parts the need to be placed where the sun don’t shine. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PRODUCT!!! I will inform every website, social media and any forum possible about your products and your complete lack of ethics.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Our 2018 Malibu will not accelerate sometimes at all and feels like you are starting from 3rd gear. It’s starting to get very dangerous on busy highways but no engine light comes on so supposedly nothing wrong with car.

Original review: May 21, 2019

We have a 2013 Chevy Malibu Ego with 92,000 miles. We are very concerned because of the excessive oil consumption. We have to keep an eye on it because it can go completely dry without any indication, no engine light, nothing. It happened again today. My husband went to check the oil and nothing. It took 3 quarts of oil. We are a Chevy family, but this is very alarming. I'm going to try and follow up with Chevy directly.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I brought my 2017 Chevy Malibu with 1.5 ltr. engine used with 29k miles on it. I've had the car about 8 months. I used premium Petro as recommended and synthetic oil. When the car broke 55k (I commute 45 to 1hr to work one way) the computer registered a loss of power. When the computer was checked it coded a throttle position sensor and a misfire. Took it to the dealer and they had to replace all 4 pistons because the rings were burnt out. Dealer admits they have a problem with this and replaced it under warranty. Since then I have another code appear 1 month after the motor rebuild. I will update then.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I bought my 2014 Chevy Malibu LT in March of 2015. I have had the car for approximately 4 years. It cost just under $30K. I love most of the features, the style and the ride. However I have had nothing but problems for the last 4 months. Now keep in mind I still have 2 years left on my car loan through GM Financial. I didn't opt for the extended warranty so everything I have to pay is out of pocket. First just barely over 50K miles the water pump goes out. $650 to get this fixed. Then a month later the battery goes out...another $400 to get it fixed.

Now last week check engine light comes on...my mechanic scans it. Comes up with P16CF. Intake Rocker Arm Solenoid Valve 2 control circuit. So through my research it looks like I need to replace the Rocker Arm Solenoid and hope that fixes the issue. The more I read about the issues that others are having with their Chevys and in particular the Malibus, the more it convinces me that I will not EVER BUY a Chevy again. I had a Hyundai Tiburon 2000 prior to buying the Malibu. I had over 140K miles on it and it was still going except for getting hit by a dump truck which insurance then totaled. I had very little trouble with this car and loved it. So I am going to back to Hyundai to a car I can actually rely on. Very disappointed. I suggest if you are in the market for a new or new/used car...pass Chevrolet by. They are not worth it.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I bought my 2011 Chevy Malibu 3 years ago. When I bought it it had 56,000 miles on it. First 2 1/2 years was good. Then last August I drove it to Florida, while there I replaced the battery. On my way home going 75 miles an hour the car lost all power and had to cross over 4 lanes of traffic in the middle of the night. Very dangerous to do with semi’s flying by. Had to have the car towed due to it would start but wouldn’t stay running. Had to stay in a crappy hotel till the next day and it could be repaired.

It ended up being my crank shaft sensors were clogged with oil and metal shavings. The shop couldn’t tell me why this was happening, said they seen it before. Once I got home I took it to my mechanic and he said my timing was showing out and that was where the metal shavings were coming from. Now I have a oil leak that I can’t find and now have a antifreeze leak that I can’t find. Have no oil on the ground but losing oil and having to fill it every couple days. I hate this car. This was my first Chevy and my last!

Chevy Malibu Company Information