3.58/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevy Malibu

The Chevrolet Malibu was manufactured and marketed from 1964-1983 and again from 1997 until present. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

625 Chevy Malibu Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 29, 2019

I brought my 2017 Chevy Malibu with 1.5 ltr. engine used with 29k miles on it. I've had the car about 8 months. I used premium Petro as recommended and synthetic oil. When the car broke 55k (I commute 45 to 1hr to work one way) the computer registered a loss of power. When the computer was checked it coded a throttle position sensor and a misfire. Took it to the dealer and they had to replace all 4 pistons because the rings were burnt out. Dealer admits they have a problem with this and replaced it under warranty. Since then I have another code appear 1 month after the motor rebuild. I will update then.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I bought my 2014 Chevy Malibu LT in March of 2015. I have had the car for approximately 4 years. It cost just under $30K. I love most of the features, the style and the ride. However I have had nothing but problems for the last 4 months. Now keep in mind I still have 2 years left on my car loan through GM Financial. I didn't opt for the extended warranty so everything I have to pay is out of pocket. First just barely over 50K miles the water pump goes out. $650 to get this fixed. Then a month later the battery goes out...another $400 to get it fixed.

Now last week check engine light comes on...my mechanic scans it. Comes up with P16CF. Intake Rocker Arm Solenoid Valve 2 control circuit. So through my research it looks like I need to replace the Rocker Arm Solenoid and hope that fixes the issue. The more I read about the issues that others are having with their Chevys and in particular the Malibus, the more it convinces me that I will not EVER BUY a Chevy again. I had a Hyundai Tiburon 2000 prior to buying the Malibu. I had over 140K miles on it and it was still going except for getting hit by a dump truck which insurance then totaled. I had very little trouble with this car and loved it. So I am going to back to Hyundai to a car I can actually rely on. Very disappointed. I suggest if you are in the market for a new or new/used car...pass Chevrolet by. They are not worth it.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I bought my 2011 Chevy Malibu 3 years ago. When I bought it it had 56,000 miles on it. First 2 1/2 years was good. Then last August I drove it to Florida, while there I replaced the battery. On my way home going 75 miles an hour the car lost all power and had to cross over 4 lanes of traffic in the middle of the night. Very dangerous to do with semi’s flying by. Had to have the car towed due to it would start but wouldn’t stay running. Had to stay in a crappy hotel till the next day and it could be repaired.

It ended up being my crank shaft sensors were clogged with oil and metal shavings. The shop couldn’t tell me why this was happening, said they seen it before. Once I got home I took it to my mechanic and he said my timing was showing out and that was where the metal shavings were coming from. Now I have a oil leak that I can’t find and now have a antifreeze leak that I can’t find. Have no oil on the ground but losing oil and having to fill it every couple days. I hate this car. This was my first Chevy and my last!

Original review: April 13, 2019

My 2014 Chevy Malibu LTZ was performing well until it reached roughly 90k Miles. I have a consecutive history with maintenance at Firestone until I started experiencing engine failure after Eco Stop would engage. With numerous returns to Firestone & them renting me a car, they could not find the issue & recommended I take it to the dealer. Due to my research there is over 140k Malibu's that have known Eco Stop issue; however, GM only posted a Service Bulletin & not a recall (for an unknown reason) to take it on case by case basis. Chevy Forums (which I recommend anyone with a problem in your GM vehicle to look at) other Chevy Malibu consumer's stated similar issues with no help from the Dealer/Manufacturer. Typical wheel & deal on minor repairs but never a conclusion to the issue leaving them stuck.

For the record, I drive at least 4 hours each day from SGV to Beverly Hills. Each time the vehicle was taken in, it was driven no more than 10 miles each time as a test to determine "problem fixed" when I specifically stated the problem only persists when the vehicle has been operating for long period of time. I proceed to take it to Chevy where they ran a diagnostic & it came back clean as expected since Firestone said the same thing, thankfully at no charge shout out to Kyle.

I shared all of the previous information of my problem and knowledge prior to submitting the vehicle. I was recommended to get a new battery because mine was "not good" but they could not provide record explaining how/why because the tech just recommended it, $450 okay, scheduled next visit & done. Problem still occurred within the same day of picking up the vehicle after battery replacement. Returned vehicle & was told there was a Software Calibration Update, $160 just for diagnostic fee. Okay, done.

Problem still occurred within same day of picking up the vehicle, returned next day & had a tech jump in the car with me to experience the problem first hand since it just happened to me down the road. The problem occurred & the tech understood the issue, possibly. This time they provided a loaner for up to a week or so, thankfully shout out to Berge. I was eventually told they found the problem and it was a concluded loose ground wire G401 they secured it & whatever else at no charge.

If that was the issue why wasn't it found sooner by the Chevy tech or Firestone? Why did no codes register throughout each testing? Why did I have to buy a battery or software calibration update? Or Whom was slacking on their job? It seems it whatever the problem is, is being overlooked multiple times with no conclusion. Picked up the car 4/11 and the car within 1 hour still had the same problem but this time would not start back up right away which has never happened before. I returned the vehicle and they now have provided me another loaner and waiting for a response.

I understand these may be normal manufacturer repair practices; however, there comes a point where there needs to be an ultimate decision that the vehicle has bad technology as also reported by many other consumers in the marketplace around the nation. I appreciate the hard work & consistent service from the gentleman at Covina Chevy; however, this has been an inconvenient burden from supposedly the most reliable car company. I proceeded to open a manufacturer buy-back case which hopefully lead to an easier conclusion.

Original review: April 4, 2019

We purchased a 2014 Chevy Malibu LS and have had continuous issues. The head liner was not cut correctly and you could see this in the passenger seat. This was identified when the car was brought in to address paint issues 1 week after purchase. Initially we were told "all liners were like this" by the dealer. Several follow up calls and they finally said a replacement would be ordered. This never happened. All types of excuses.

Fabric on driver's side seat creased and broke along seat bottom within the first month of owning the car. Dealer indicated this was normal for the material. Multiple issues with the tire pressure sensors within the first 6 months. Never a dealer/warranty item. ABS sensor disk on all 4 front and back wheels had to be replaced within the first year. Dealer indicated this was due to driving habits. Not a warranty item. Alignment was needed every 6-8 months to address a sloppy steering wheel and front end vibration. Every time it was taken to the Dealer it was blamed on tires, balance, or driving habits. Not a warranty item.

Most recent issue is the water pump was damaged due to interstate road conditions. Temperature gauge maxed. We pulled over and let the car cool. Went about a 1/4 mile and the engine locked up. No warning indicating low coolant, pump issues...with all the electronics on the car these items were overlooked. Water pump issues were a major issue for the 2013 model. Chevy did not use any lessons learned information to make the car better for the consumer. Now we are looking at a massive paperweight while trying to get the insurance company to replace the engine. Oh, by the way, we are 14 miles over the warranty and the response from the dealer was "it is out of coverage".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Malibu?

Original review: March 25, 2019

I own a 2010 Chevy Malibu with 93 thousand miles and the engine failed. I bought the car new, it has been a headache ever since. It started with a squeak in the wheel which was never resolved. Next was the cam sensors. While in drive at a light the car cut off. Next the steering went out while I was driving. The dealer said they could not see anything wrong with the steering. (Another issue unresolved) then the headlights.

One headlight went out so I took it to the dealer and they replaced it. Within 3 weeks both headlights went out. I replaced both headlights more than three times. I went two years without headlight. I then took the car to the dealer to replace the cam sensors for the second time and they fixed the headlights but never told me how they fixed them. The next thing was the BCM. Then the timing chain. One day I go out to start the car and it won't start. I find out the engine needs replacing. I will never buy another Chevy and will tell anyone who is looking for a new or used car to steer clear of Chevy. 30000 down the drain.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I got a 2011 Malibu four years ago. Since then the fuses have melt, back window does not defrost. On top of that the headlight went out, and now the transmission blew up while riding down a freeway. We were doing 60 miles when it just stop. It is going to cost over 3,000 dollars to fix it. And I still owe over 7,000 on it and I feel Chevy needs to step up since they knew of all the trouble it was going to cause. I will no longer buy other Malibu and I hope enough people will complain that a suit will make them step up to the plate.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I purchased a 2016 Malibu limited used with 20000 miles as a cheap commuter car, was pretty comfortable, got 33mpg, my only complaints are that the front inner fender wells and plastic skid plate along with the bracing had to be replaced which was covered under the warranty 3 times. I'm very easy with this car as well and don't drive back roads yet it seems the quality of these parts are terrible. It drives well overall, had 1 tpms sensor go bad at 30000 miles and the dash rattled which was also repaired under warranty. Also I would like to mention the inner fender issue was also an issue on the 2013 Buick Regal I had which was on the same platform the Epsilon II.

Original review: March 9, 2019

My wife bought a 2014 Malibu 2.5L LT about 3 years ago now. We bought it from a certified used dealer with just over 60,000 miles on it. Within the first 3 months the right rear wheel bearing went out. I took it back as we had an extended warranty on the car. Initially they did not want to cover it, eventually did. We drove it another 6 months, the same bearing went bad AGAIN. Took it back to the dealer, they didn't even entertain the idea of replacing it under warranty as they told me this was a wear item.

I finally talked to them and pleaded my case, they agreed to fix it under warranty with a copay. Another year passes and the wheel bearing is bad again for a third time. Granted we drive a lot, she commutes over an hour to work every day, so at this point the warranty is out. I went and bought 3-year warranty bearings from a local shop and installed them myself following the torque specs and all, and well the right rear bearing is bad again. This was last year when I replaced it.

Also recently we had the check engine light come on, it gives error code P16D0. I was unable to find any good information on the internet on this code, went to the dealer and they wouldn't even talk to me unless I paid them 117.00 plus tax so they could scan the car, mind you I told them what the code was. I went to another shop, found a possible problem. I bought a 40 dollar part, installed it, and the light was off for about 45 minutes, back on again. Come to find out this code could be one of 3 or 4 different parts and it controls the valve timing. Also about a month ago the factory installed remote start quit working.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My daughter purchased a 2017 Malibu. We recognized water was getting into the trunk, then the radio and backup camera went out. We had it repaired at a dealership. She was 8,000 over warranty and extended warranty doesn't cover water. 3 weeks later backup camera and radio went out again. Another dealership determined that water is getting in by the windshield where the body/frame come together and feeding back to the radio module. Called GM since water is entering vehicle in 2 different spots and must be a factory defect due to poor seals. Gave me a claim # and said I would hear back in 2 days. Called back on 3rd day before I heard something. They said they would need another 3 days to seek advice on matter and what could be done. Then put on hold to come back and say that it was not going to be covered because it was out of warranty.

This was something they could have determined days ago. I would have waited potentially another 3 days for them to tell me this. A car this new (that has had no wrecks) should not have water entering it and is unsafe if something would have shorted out other than the radio. Why buy a new car if this happens? Our household has multiple Chevy's...not again! I received better customer service and willingness to help me from the dealerships than I did GM. Sad facts and this is what you insist your daughter buys their first car as a maker you have known to trust when she wanted something different. College student paying her own payments and being responsible. Real life lesson for her on how adults don't stand by what they make or work with you to make it right. Has had to get rides to and from work for days.

Chevy Malibu Company Information