2.29/5
Based on 63 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Ford Taurus

The Ford Taurus is a full-size car that has been around since 1986. In 2018, Ford announced plans to discontinue it. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

157 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I am the main driver of this car. It's a good car to drive, easy to handle, very good gas mileage, very easy to get in and out of, easy to load. Very easy to see and reach the controls. And the trunk has a very high safety rating. But we have had a lot of work done on it, seems to break down a lot. The heat and air conditioning did not work right from the start and still do not work right. But I really liked the style and color. Very sporty looking car but also luxurious looking.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I like the Ford Taurus because it is a bigger car that can hold lots of passengers and is also rated one of the safest vehicles on the road. It is a trustworthy and innovative company. It was in my price range and they are a very reliable vehicle. It is a perfect car for a family and/or for longer family trips with lots of room for everyone.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 18, 2018

I purchased six years ago and I have loved this Ford Taurus X from day one. It rides nice, is roomy and easy to maneuver around. Has the ability to handle seven people, it's easy to get in and out of. It's also quite stylish. Everyone in my family loves it and even the dog loves to ride in it. Can hold a lot of equipment as well. It has a large cargo area and great for lugging things around. It has a great heating and cooling system, the stereo system works great and the dashboard is easy to read. But I wish it had better gas mileage, perhaps a couple of blind spots taken care of and more color choices. No mp3 player, more cup holders, get rid of cigarette lighter, underfoot ambiance lighting and more lighting in 3 seat area, it's a little dark back there. Wish it was still in production.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The 2002 Ford Taurus was the perfect small family vehicle. And first thing that caught my attention was the look and size of the car. I was the second owner of this vehicle and it was a wonderful choice. It was completely reliable and never once gave me a single issue. It was very well on gas and oil. But if the car would have had more mileage on it that would of been better. I absolutely loved that vehicle and would definitely buy the same car again and I do recommend people to buy the Ford Taurus.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I wish it were a brand new car but the Ford Taurus has been a very reliable car for me and my family, aside from a few small maintenance issues like there were some old loose wires underneath that would not allow us to start the car. But ever since has been a great car. It has been here for me to get back and forth to work. The vehicle is great on gas and is very spacious for my very big family. However, it would be nice if it were more like an SUV. It would fit better for my family's outdoor adventures. It has a nice spacious trunk. But it doesn't fit all of our needs. Also, I don't like how low to the ground it sits. And I don't like how it rattles when I hit bumps.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Taurus?

Original review: June 15, 2018

I like how comfortable the seats are and when it ran right... I absolutely love how it drove. I also like how wide the seating is. It is really comfortable. It’s a nice car, but it went to hell quick. In one week my serpentine belt snapped 3 times... My air conditioner pulley broke. And now my idle doesn't work and my heat and air conditioning doesn't either. Also, I wish it would have came with factory Bluetooth in the stereo. It would have been nice to be able to listen to music I liked instead of the radio or CDs (who even uses CDs anymore?).

Original review: June 14, 2018

Most repairs have to be done at a Ford shop which is over the top expensive. Not too many problems with the car overall. Just regular maintenance. Drives okay. The body had a little rust, which I'm not pleased with. We chose Ford Taurus because it seemed to be in decent shape body wise. It was a first car for a new driver. It was priced decent and taken care of by the previous owner. But I do not like the gear shifting lever on the steering wheel. You would think they would have modernized it after the year 2000 but I guess not. Just have to accept it bu I would like it to be between the seats like other models.

Original review: June 13, 2018

It was a used car and I needed it at the time. Saw it on the side of the road for sale, checked it out, tested drove it and bought it. I liked how it drove and how good the engine sounded. It had low gas mileage and sounded the motor looked clean without any leaks. It had nice tires on it, the price was right and it only had one owner. I liked the color but the paint is chipping off so I would have it painted. And then clean the inside a bit more, have the car waxed and detailed and maybe put better tires on it. But the Ford Taurus works for me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was not a fan of the 1995 Ford Taurus. The automatic windows frequently ended up jamming, my AC went out after 20 minutes of use and I ended up having to get several repairs. But I enjoyed the interior of the vehicle, the finish was nice and there was a ton of leg room in the back seat. However, I would make the interior color different -- perhaps a dark grey or even black. The large trunk was also a perk. The tires seemed to be in really outstanding shape, as well. But they should use different parts that are more durable and aesthetically pleasing.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Not my first choice but Ford Taurus was all I could afford at that time. Older car and not many features. It is a 2007 model and 11 years old. Some dents when I bought and it needs a good interior cleaning. Needs some body work too, new and better tires, and a tune-up. But runs decent and no major issues. Has sunroof and it gets me where I need to go with low maintenance needs. Better than not having a car.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Surprisingly very good. I really like that it's all-wheel drive. Especially since my last vehicle was an SUV and I travel over 3 mountain passes for work. It's a little heavy so it does well going over our mountain passes. It's roomy inside and the trunk is huge. But, it gets nearly 25 mpg. I had an SUV before so this does not feel like a tin can. I like the satellite radio too and that my phone is programmed into the car. But I would like a built in GPS. Especially with our new no distraction laws. It must be built in to be used. I would also like an electronic plug in for the rear passengers. Dual climate control and accessible vents for the rear passengers as well.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Ford Taurus was my second car I owned that I picked up in 2000. I held on to that car and traded in for a Ford Edge in 2008. The car served me well in having more room than my prior car. I added a aftermarket navigation system.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Have owned a Ford Taurus since first one (1986). No complaints. But recently learned that Ford will not produce a Taurus any longer so I will have to find something else next time I buy a car.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have a 2008 Ford Taurus. It has been an exceptional car for business travel and is still going. I hope to continue for at least another 10,000 miles. I have looked at purchasing a new car, but cannot find as great a value as this has been.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have a 2014 Ford Taurus SHO. As I was driving on the highway with my two young children my steering locked up and was extremely hard to turn almost causing an accident. My car is in excellent condition and well maintained. There was no signs or warnings. I brought it to my mechanic and he informed me it was the steering rack which he couldn't believe it! I then brought it to my local Ford dealer and they were unwilling to help us unless we wanted to trade in my car! I contacted Ford Corporate and they were not helpful either! There has been recalls on this exact problem in the 2013 Taurus but not 2014! As I was doing more research there is tons of cases of this happening to the 2014s! I always thought Ford was a reliable company but now I am feeling different about that!

Original review: June 8, 2017

In 2012, I purchased a used 2003 Ford Taurus with 165,000 miles from a used car lot near my home. I owned the car for five years and have had nothing but difficulties with keeping it functional for the past four. Within two weeks of buying, the leather interior door padding peeled off, which is a small issue compared to what came later. Aside from that, the car ran very smoothly for the first year. In the summer of 2013, it started to have a few small repairs done on it (strut work and shocks as well as brakes). I also noticed during this time that the temperature gauge was reading ever so slightly hotter than normal, but when checked the mechanic found no issues.

In February of 2014, the timing belt had a hole in it and the radiator overheated almost as soon as I started the vehicle. We had to have it towed to the shop... the above normal temperature reading in 2013 was the beginning of this. Then in the winter/spring of 2015, I experienced transmission failure while driving to work in -20 degree weather. In March of 2016 we again had to have major repairs done on it as there was a small hole in the radiator which led to loss of fluid and overheating. This car has had two transmissions, a timing belt/water pump, oil leaks, shocks, struts, electrical, multiple sets of tires, starter, body and too many other repairs to list.

This particular model of car is very poorly made and a hazard on the road. In addition, I fault the car lot from which we purchased the vehicle, as we now believe the car had sustained considerable water damage before we purchased it and we were given incomplete/false information about the history of the vehicle. This is also highly suspected by various mechanics we have taken it to due to the rusted out and corroding undercarriage. I have paid equal purchase value or more in repairs on this car due to poor quality and maintenance and will not be purchasing again. If possible, this car would receive zero stars. Do not purchase a 2003 Taurus... avoid at all costs.

Original review: May 24, 2016

I bought my 2014 Ford Taurus a year and a half ago. I had to replace the rear brakes and rotors due to corrosion and rust causing the brakes to lock up. This cost me about 650 to repair at a dealership since it was not covered under my manufacturers warranty (34000 mi). I was told that this was related to the wheel well design and our cold Wisconsin weather. Today I just found out that the rear differential is shot and the entire rear axle needs to be replaced. Thank goodness this was covered under warranty. I just hope this is the last of the problems I have with this car... I am only at 35000 mi.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2016

As I got into my 2003 Ford Taurus I noticed it was low to the ground and got out to see the driver's side, front tire was flat. I tried putting air in it, but it wouldn't take. All of this in freezing weather. I decided to have tire changed so called a service. Tow truck driver put air in, but came out. When he looked at tire a piece of metal was about 2 inches in tire making huge hole. He said right front spring broke and punctured tire. After reading about all the complaints concerning the exact same problem, it seems Ford recalled 2001 and 2002 cars, but not 2003. I recently got a ticket for not using turn signal and cut a car off and I was charged with endangerment. Meanwhile Ford is not charged with anything putting thousands of lives at risk. They will do nothing!

You can take your new Ford Mustang and Fusion and brag about them all you want as you keep silent about your defective 2003 Ford Taurus. Every complaint says I am glad it wasn't on the highway at high speed. It doesn't appear Ford feels the same. I would never purchase a Ford product again and if you value your life and that of your family I wouldn't either. These are the type of people you are dealing with. This car has 53,000 plus miles mostly in town. Ford the other four letter word.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

Front coil spring broke and punctured tire. Ford had a recall 04V3322000 for the United States but not Canada. There were 899060 vehicles affected for this recall. But none in Canada. The resolve Ford made to those in the U.S was to replace the coil springs adding 'Protective Spring Shields". In Canada there is no part number for those shields. Why not? And why is there no recall in Canada. Out of those 899060 vehicles affected where were they made? Where were the Ford Taurus's that were being produced in Canada made? Why would the parts or assembly be any different in Canada or the U.S.

When they order parts for the manufacture of a vehicle I am certain they didn't say, "Wait, we should put in better coil springs in the vehicles we make for Canada." Not likely!!! This vehicle we inherited in 2011 with 75000 km, it now in September 2015 has just over 81,000 km, that's 45000 miles and now 48,600 miles. Not broken in yet??? But broken!!! Judging from the response on the net this is a problem and could if it hasn't already caused injuries if not fatalities.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

On August 12, 2015 my wife and family went out on a drive in my 2011 Ford Taurus VIN number: ** and got into a terrible accident in the South Side of Easton, PA and everyone was injured because failure of all emergency AIR BAGS. My wife got whiplashed and bumped her head on the steering wheel, my daughter hurt her knee and elbow and my aunt hurt her knee and the vehicle was totaled.

I have contacted The Executive Chairman Ford Motor Company: Mr. William Clay Ford, J.R. via U.S. Postal service' wfmz69 news, national transportation safety board (NTSB), National Highway Traffic Administration, Honorable Barack Obama and also hired an attorney in case my insurance company Geico tries to fool me into repairing this unsafe and dangerous 2011 Ford Taurus in which all these type of vehicles should be recalled to inspect the safety of its airbag systems in which all of my air bags in my 2011 Ford Taurus failed and could have caused death to my family. My vehicle is currently in the Easton Police Department impound lot awaiting inspection by Geico insurance company adjuster. I am now afraid of this 2011 Ford Taurus FAILURE and refuse to take this car back.

The car was purchased at brown daub Tom Ring Kia, William Penn Highway, Easton, PA 18042 in which the dealership NO LONGER EXIST; it is now called BROWN DAUB GARY LEE KIA and the dealer who sold me this LEMON is nowhere to be found. This is why I wrote to The Ford Motor Company Headquarters. I refuse to keep payments on this LEMON and demand another car to replace my loss and my family's injuries. These are the kind of cars being sold at brown daub kia.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

Defective tranny. Ford knew of this defect but would NOT recall their own mistake. Had to have my car towed. I had to refuse a job offer because it was 12 miles from home & I had no way to get there. Had to find another job close by. However; it's 2 miles away.... And I have to walk until I can save up for another car. THANK YOU Ford for screwing things up for our family. Will NEVER buy a Ford again!

Original review: July 30, 2015

I have a 2013 Ford Taurus limited - has a little over 37000 miles. The rear cylinders according to mechanic locked up causing pad and drum damage. This is a very early failure of calipers or cylinders. Total repair bill $602.00. I am very dissatisfied with early failure. I will contact Ford rep to at least voice my concerns.

Original review: April 15, 2015

2004 Ford Taurus started with the air conditioning and the heat not switching back and forth. Then I was told that 4 coil packs were bad and I was only running on 2 cylinders. Well, we fixed that and 1 month later, it is jumping and skipping again. The computer says coil packs are bad again. Are the replacement part not very good or does the car eat them?

Original review: March 13, 2015

Where to start. After spending a grand trying to fix the brake lock up on my Honda, I bought a new 2003 ford Taurus. Privately owned. The car was fine for the first month. I knew the previous owner, the car was well taking care of. The shocks and struts went out, following the alternator. I replaced the alternator, and the car is still not even budging to start. So now this college student is living alone paying bills and Trying to get TWO broke cars fixed. This isn't easy, and very frustrating. This is my last resort. I've heard there were loose wires? The old alternator was tested and it came back bad.

Original review: March 9, 2015

My 2004 Ford Taurus, with 56 K miles suddenly dropped 20% mpg in Jan. 2014; dealer did OBD and found no codes and blamed extreme NJ cold weather and car should recover once warmer weather comes. By June 2014, it worsened to 30% and still they did not find any code. Ford HQ suggested George Wall in Red bank, NJ, and I took it to them in early Sep. 2014 and they did not find any problem but did some brake, etc., adjustments and tune-up related stuff (PCV valve, air-filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, etc) but still no improvement.

I spoke to Ford HQ who advised me to take it back to same dealer to "find and fix" the problem. (Car never had starting problems, or stalling and no loss of power since the mpg drop). I took it back to them in early Nov. and they reported that CAM sensor and synchronizer were defective and charged me over $540.00; I drove the car to MA and back in the next 3-4 days: mpg shot up but gradually dropped back by 35% when I returned to NJ and almost stayed steady there.

I took it back to them and this time they just changed the spark plug wires (saying they were shorting), charging me $200 and did a 'simulated' hwy driving on the rack and found the mpg to be about 25/gal; however, on the road I am still getting less than 200 miles in city and 240 in hwy per each fill-up (18 gal. tank), (vs 275/city & 350/hwy prior to Jan. 2014). The dealer said that they could not do anything more! I spoke to Ford HQ and they told me that for a 10+ yr old car, I can't expect more. I told them I would never again buy a Ford in my life.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

This vehicle is going thru coil packs like crazy. Why has Ford not done a recall. Looks like this engine has issues.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

1990 ford taurus tierods and ends broke twice. To my knowledge, this problem has occurred more than once. I wonder if there's any recalls or other cars like mine that have any of these similar problems. Besides that, she sure loves to climb up hills like you wouldn't believe. Keep it tuned.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

I haven't had the opportunity to go through bad coil and springs but my transmission is giving me the blues and reading everyone's reviews, I should junk it and buy a Chevy. I don't think it's worth getting it fixed but I would say this: if you have a Ford Taurus, make sure you keep stop slip by Lucas brake fluid cause the brake line fail. Also, so much money this car has caused me, I can't save money because of this car. Sincerely, depressed Ford owner.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

2011 Ford Taurus and the paint is peeling off the back spoiler.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

My husband had hit black ice and then hit a curb, put a quarter size whole in my tire. We got it fixed right away but 10 hrs later we were on the highway back home. Our car had just stopped moving. It was on but wouldn't accelerate.

Ford Taurus Company Information