Ford Taurus

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought my 2014 Ford Taurus a year and a half ago. I had to replace the rear brakes and rotors due to corrosion and rust causing the brakes to lock up. This cost me about 650 to repair at a dealership since it was not covered under my manufacturers warranty (34000 mi). I was told that this was related to the wheel well design and our cold Wisconsin weather. Today I just found out that the rear differential is shot and the entire rear axle needs to be replaced. Thank goodness this was covered under warranty. I just hope this is the last of the problems I have with this car... I am only at 35000 mi.

As I got into my 2003 Ford Taurus I noticed it was low to the ground and got out to see the driver's side, front tire was flat. I tried putting air in it, but it wouldn't take. All of this in freezing weather. I decided to have tire changed so called a service. Tow truck driver put air in, but came out. When he looked at tire a piece of metal was about 2 inches in tire making huge hole. He said right front spring broke and punctured tire. After reading about all the complaints concerning the exact same problem, it seems Ford recalled 2001 and 2002 cars, but not 2003. I recently got a ticket for not using turn signal and cut a car off and I was charged with endangerment. Meanwhile Ford is not charged with anything putting thousands of lives at risk. They will do nothing!

You can take your new Ford Mustang and Fusion and brag about them all you want as you keep silent about your defective 2003 Ford Taurus. Every complaint says I am glad it wasn't on the highway at high speed. It doesn't appear Ford feels the same. I would never purchase a Ford product again and if you value your life and that of your family I wouldn't either. These are the type of people you are dealing with. This car has 53,000 plus miles mostly in town. Ford the other four letter word.

Front coil spring broke and punctured tire. Ford had a recall 04V3322000 for the United States but not Canada. There were 899060 vehicles affected for this recall. But none in Canada. The resolve Ford made to those in the U.S was to replace the coil springs adding 'Protective Spring Shields". In Canada there is no part number for those shields. Why not? And why is there no recall in Canada. Out of those 899060 vehicles affected where were they made? Where were the Ford Taurus's that were being produced in Canada made? Why would the parts or assembly be any different in Canada or the U.S.

When they order parts for the manufacture of a vehicle I am certain they didn't say, "Wait, we should put in better coil springs in the vehicles we make for Canada." Not likely!!! This vehicle we inherited in 2011 with 75000 km, it now in September 2015 has just over 81,000 km, that's 45000 miles and now 48,600 miles. Not broken in yet??? But broken!!! Judging from the response on the net this is a problem and could if it hasn't already caused injuries if not fatalities.

On August 12, 2015 my wife and family went out on a drive in my 2011 Ford Taurus VIN number: ** and got into a terrible accident in the South Side of Easton, PA and everyone was injured because failure of all emergency AIR BAGS. My wife got whiplashed and bumped her head on the steering wheel, my daughter hurt her knee and elbow and my aunt hurt her knee and the vehicle was totaled.

I have contacted The Executive Chairman Ford Motor Company: Mr. William Clay Ford, J.R. via U.S. Postal service' wfmz69 news, national transportation safety board (NTSB), National Highway Traffic Administration, Honorable Barack Obama and also hired an attorney in case my insurance company Geico tries to fool me into repairing this unsafe and dangerous 2011 Ford Taurus in which all these type of vehicles should be recalled to inspect the safety of its airbag systems in which all of my air bags in my 2011 Ford Taurus failed and could have caused death to my family. My vehicle is currently in the Easton Police Department impound lot awaiting inspection by Geico insurance company adjuster. I am now afraid of this 2011 Ford Taurus FAILURE and refuse to take this car back.

The car was purchased at brown daub Tom Ring Kia, William Penn Highway, Easton, PA 18042 in which the dealership NO LONGER EXIST; it is now called BROWN DAUB GARY LEE KIA and the dealer who sold me this LEMON is nowhere to be found. This is why I wrote to The Ford Motor Company Headquarters. I refuse to keep payments on this LEMON and demand another car to replace my loss and my family's injuries. These are the kind of cars being sold at brown daub kia.

Defective tranny. Ford knew of this defect but would NOT recall their own mistake. Had to have my car towed. I had to refuse a job offer because it was 12 miles from home & I had no way to get there. Had to find another job close by. However; it's 2 miles away.... And I have to walk until I can save up for another car. THANK YOU Ford for screwing things up for our family. Will NEVER buy a Ford again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

I have a 2013 Ford Taurus limited - has a little over 37000 miles. The rear cylinders according to mechanic locked up causing pad and drum damage. This is a very early failure of calipers or cylinders. Total repair bill $602.00. I am very dissatisfied with early failure. I will contact Ford rep to at least voice my concerns.

2004 Ford Taurus started with the air conditioning and the heat not switching back and forth. Then I was told that 4 coil packs were bad and I was only running on 2 cylinders. Well, we fixed that and 1 month later, it is jumping and skipping again. The computer says coil packs are bad again. Are the replacement part not very good or does the car eat them?

Where to start. After spending a grand trying to fix the brake lock up on my Honda, I bought a new 2003 ford Taurus. Privately owned. The car was fine for the first month. I knew the previous owner, the car was well taking care of. The shocks and struts went out, following the alternator. I replaced the alternator, and the car is still not even budging to start. So now this college student is living alone paying bills and Trying to get TWO broke cars fixed. This isn't easy, and very frustrating. This is my last resort. I've heard there were loose wires? The old alternator was tested and it came back bad.

My 2004 Ford Taurus, with 56 K miles suddenly dropped 20% mpg in Jan. 2014; dealer did OBD and found no codes and blamed extreme NJ cold weather and car should recover once warmer weather comes. By June 2014, it worsened to 30% and still they did not find any code. Ford HQ suggested George Wall in Red bank, NJ, and I took it to them in early Sep. 2014 and they did not find any problem but did some brake, etc., adjustments and tune-up related stuff (PCV valve, air-filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, etc) but still no improvement.

I spoke to Ford HQ who advised me to take it back to same dealer to "find and fix" the problem. (Car never had starting problems, or stalling and no loss of power since the mpg drop). I took it back to them in early Nov. and they reported that CAM sensor and synchronizer were defective and charged me over $540.00; I drove the car to MA and back in the next 3-4 days: mpg shot up but gradually dropped back by 35% when I returned to NJ and almost stayed steady there.

I took it back to them and this time they just changed the spark plug wires (saying they were shorting), charging me $200 and did a 'simulated' hwy driving on the rack and found the mpg to be about 25/gal; however, on the road I am still getting less than 200 miles in city and 240 in hwy per each fill-up (18 gal. tank), (vs 275/city & 350/hwy prior to Jan. 2014). The dealer said that they could not do anything more! I spoke to Ford HQ and they told me that for a 10+ yr old car, I can't expect more. I told them I would never again buy a Ford in my life.

This vehicle is going thru coil packs like crazy. Why has Ford not done a recall. Looks like this engine has issues.

1990 ford taurus tierods and ends broke twice. To my knowledge, this problem has occurred more than once. I wonder if there's any recalls or other cars like mine that have any of these similar problems. Besides that, she sure loves to climb up hills like you wouldn't believe. Keep it tuned.

I haven't had the opportunity to go through bad coil and springs but my transmission is giving me the blues and reading everyone's reviews, I should junk it and buy a Chevy. I don't think it's worth getting it fixed but I would say this: if you have a Ford Taurus, make sure you keep stop slip by Lucas brake fluid cause the brake line fail. Also, so much money this car has caused me, I can't save money because of this car. Sincerely, depressed Ford owner.

2011 Ford Taurus and the paint is peeling off the back spoiler.

My husband had hit black ice and then hit a curb, put a quarter size whole in my tire. We got it fixed right away but 10 hrs later we were on the highway back home. Our car had just stopped moving. It was on but wouldn't accelerate.

We just bought a 2002 Ford Taurus, our horn and cruise control are not working. We keep fixing it but it keeps going out. We need horn because people about back into us and we can’t honk at them so they know we are there. And just yesterday we heard a noise on front when turning into wal-mart. What is going on? What was ford recalled on? We just got this car for our son, want to know if safe.

I have a 2004 Taurus with the 24 valve 3.0 lit v6. It has 273000 miles, the trans was repaired at 90k. it needs new struts I think. I have replaced all the ignition coils by now. Car runs great still gets 20 to 24 mpg city. I am looking for a used one for my daughter.

Can anyone send me a copy of their "Ford lifetime flawless guarantee"? Being a mechanic, I'd have to turn in my Ford Faithful badge if Ford said something that stupid. I buy Ford, always have, always will. WHY? Because I know how to drive, what I need to do to avoid issues, and who to blame when issues happen.

Anyone here been with one car company 40 years?? Obviously not. It seems people buy cars for all the wrong reasons, or without knowing anything about cars. Most people just need to blame someone - anyone but themselves.

My 2005 Taurus (125,000 miles) just told me I need to replace front springs. Owned her for 6 years - and knew the odds her springs would fail before I bought her. I cannot complain at all. EVERY human driven motor vehicle, will develop maintenance issues. After reading several complaints here, I understand why Ford did not care to deal with these people. It's obvious these people can't handle the truth, why bother trying to explain it.

I believe in supporting my Country, every way I possibly can. Every dollar you send out, hurts us all. Don't shrug your shoulders, don't tell me why you did it -

I know why. When you bring me your Honda, I ask for maintenance records. No records? No problem - take the car elsewhere. You still haven't learned a thing. We all are either a part of the problem, or a part of the solution. Out of 10 hate letters here, all 10 said Ford is the problem. That isn't even possible.

2008 Ford Taurus rear end needs lower arm replaced so the front tires wear even. They said it would cost over $700.00 at my local Ford car dealer. My car has 57,500 miles. The front tire on driver side wears on the inside of tire. They said the rear end is out of alignment. I went on the internet to see how to repair this and found that the Ford Fusion handles the same way my Taurus does. Always wants to oversteer and run off the road.

Driving my dad's 2006 V6 Ford Taurus 153,000 miles. Out of nowhere, the car wouldn't engage ANY gears. Would not even go into reverse!!! Disgusted with FORD!!! No signs of anything previously either.

Daughter driving. Coil spring snapped along the highway, totally shredded the tire. Thank GOD she was not on the highway!!!!!!!!

Leaking oil ford 3.0. Never buy poorly engineered Ford.

The front subframe bolts broke allowing the engine and transmission to fall. The car was at the bottom of my driveway when this happened... Car was towed to local garage where mechanic called Ford dealership regarding a recall on these failing bolts. Car was towed to Ford dealer for repair. The dealer replaced the rear mounting bolts but the mechanic failed to notice that it was the front bolts which had broken. I pointed this out to the service manager who had the car put back into the shop, he then informed me that I would have to pay for the broken front bolts to be replaced as the recall only covered the rear bolts. Cost was approx $140.00. I contacted Ford Canada to ask them to refund me. I was told that since I had purchased the car used, they would not be refunding the $140.00. This was only one of the multitude of problems I had with this vehicle. I got rid of it ASAP and will never buy a Ford product again. Neither will any of my family or friends. The Ford Motor Company are a disgrace.

After seeing numerous posts about the front coils breaking and puncturing tires what in the world is wrong with Ford Motor Company anyway. There definitely should have been a recall or at least a warning for us owners to bring this to our attention. Luckily this happened in our driveway and not going down the road where numerous lives could have been lost.I for one will never purchase a Ford again because of this experience .Ford Motor Company should bury their head in the dirt over this matter and I don't understand why no lawsuits have taken place.

Have 2003 Ford Taurus. Transmission went out five months ago. 2400 to fix. HAD FRONT coil spring go out while backing out on driveway onto solid ice roadway. Dangerous! Tore my tire to pieces! Just been informed it will take $750 to repair.

My rear strut springs failed at 60K miles. I replaced them with no real issues. I had the front passenger spring break and puncture the tire at 89K miles. Front Ball joints failed at 120K miles so I replaced ball joints, hubs and halfshafts. At 65K miles, the ignition coil pack cracked and I needed to replace it. Car would misfire very badly and barely ran. I changed coil pack, plugs and wires and am now at 125K miles with no further problems there. The heater core hoses are very short at the engine and firewall. There is a steel pipe section in the middle which rotted out and blew up at 100K miles. This part was difficult to find and a real joy to install.

A friendly person in Chicago ran a stop sign right in front of me. When I hit him at about 20 mph, it sheared off my trans mount and the trans cooler lines broke along with one of the radiator hoses. I am now at 125K miles and my oil pan gasket leaks terribly. To fix this, I need to have the Y pipe removed and that requires cutting it off since everything is so rusty. The gasket is $15 but the repair will cost several hundred. Wonderful design. I especially appreciate the designer who put the oil filter above the catalytic converter and left no room to get at it. It's not really like you ever need to change the oil or anything!

I have tried to take care of the car, I either wash and wax it myself or take it to the drive-thru several times a year (more than once a month) but the rear quarter panels are rusted through. I have also had delamination of interior panels so the car looks terrible. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Buy it at your own risk and understand it is going to kill you for repair costs. I would have traded mine long ago but I do most of the repairs myself so I have saved a lot that way. If you are not up to replacing the entire front suspension yourself, this is not the car for you.

Just for the record I do not drive it hard, only really to work and back and mostly highway in Chicago. I am religious about periodic maintenance and only buy the best parts when I fix things. I have had far too many failures on this car but miraculously I have not had a repeat failure on anything I have fixed, probably because I do not use Motorcraft parts and I don't go to the dealership. I have read that trans failure is also very common on these. A guy I work with is on his third tranny at only 150K miles. Mine is still original but the shifting is starting to get funny. I know what I'm in for. My advice, don't buy this car unless you own a tow truck already!

Steering just would not turn. Car is not drivable and will be in the shop a total of 5 days for repair. Out of nowhere, 2 days ago, I went to turn into my driveway and no power steering. It took everything I had to turn the wheel. At a normal speed or while accelerating the steering worked fine, but at a slow speed I had no power steering at all. After changing the power steering pump at the local dealer, I got a call that they now had to replace the Steering Rack also because it was bad. Steering Rack & Power Steering Fluid Pump just went bad. Bought the car with 15 miles on it in May of 2010, so I have had it and it has been driven properly and maintained by the book. It currently has 72K miles on it and the warranty ran out on May 15th, 2013. End result $1350.00. This is a problem that seems to be common with the Ford Taurus complaints online. No idea why it is not being addressed, except that it's cheaper to have the customer pay for this problem rather than Ford themselves.

We, meaning my husband and I, purchased a 2008 Ford Taurus Limited, in May of 2010. We really liked our car, as it was a family car. It accommodated all four of us. We have two children. We have been satisfied with everything about this car up until now. I was recently driving down the road, when all of a sudden, the speed odometer goes to zero. The information center quit working and the wrench light came on. I made it home, and went to put the car in park, and it went very hard into park, and it felt as if I had hit something, along with a loud noise. The car is now at a transmission shop, and the repairman says it's the transmission, along with the speed sensor. I call the Ford manufacturers, and they tell me there is nothing they can do. We purchased the extended warranty, and it went out 9,000 miles ago. There are 100,000 miles on our car and it has been maintained regularly. Very pretty color on this car, very comfortable driving and riding car, but very expensive to fix on top of trying to pay for the car. I'm not satisfied with Ford. I will not purchase another one. We have only had this car for two and a half years. ;(

My car was running badly at 75,000 mi. so I checked a plug and found Motorcraft AGSF32N. This plug is non-platinum and will not go 100,000 mi without resetting the gap to .044". I didn't bother resetting the gap. I took them all out and replaced them with Motorcraft platinum, the plugs recommended for my '06 Taurus. Why weren't these plugs put in when the car was manufactured? My car was burning a lot of extra gas because the plug gap was .060". I expected to go 100,000 mi. without a tune-up as Ford advertised. No way, not with those plugs.

I have read tons of reports of people with spring problems, more than I care to. Here is the real problem. I used to do mechanic work on multiple brands of cars and the problem is not the products as much as it is the owner.

Most common causes for springs to fail: 1) Improper tire maintenance - People do not align, balance, suspension check, inflate/over-inflate their tires often or properly enough and this will wear on your suspension, especially with city driving. Also, if you get a flat and drive on it or a spare, get your suspension checked out. These are hard on your car; 2) Driving on dirt road especially living on one - If you frequent driving on rough roads, you need to get your suspension checked twice as often. I hate paying from an inspection that I didn't need but you will regret it when you don’t pay for one you should have had. Generally, people neglect the above list and it ends up costing them 5 times more than the routine maintenance; and 3) Worn out parts directly influencing other parts (struts, joints, bearing and so on).

Again, back to first point, maintenance, maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Serious, I could not believe when I told a guy his struts were bad, ball joint were near failing, wheel bearing where needed to be replaced, and his CV boots were torn and should be replaced. He responded, “I just had the oil changed why did they not catch it?” “Really, who changed it?” His response was "some quick lube place." Oh a place with no mechanics. Do not expect expert results for a cheap service. Summary: get a certified person to inspect your car for regular maintenance. Stop being a typical American and expect it to just work. When it breaks because you neglected your car, don't blame somebody else.

2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - When I purchased my vehicle new, I knew something was wrong. When I put it in reverse and backed up, the engine would die and then I could not get it to go into gear without playing with it. Of course when I took it in, it worked fine. Another mechanic put computer on it and said it had transmission issues. The dealer denied any. Two transmissions now and going bad again. This morning I went out to start the car, put it in reverse to back out and pop a loud bang. I got out of the car to look and the brand new front tire blew. As it turns out, the coil spring snapped and ripped in to my tire. It seems there are issues with coil springs and transmissions in 2003 model. Ford never made it right for anyone who purchased that year. There should have been recalls. An online search clearly shows problems. Why was nothing done? I will never purchase another Ford product

Ford Taurus Company Profile