Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.65/5

Ford F-150

One of the most well-known trucks on the market, the Ford F-150 is a light-duty truck. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

323 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

2018 F150 5.0. The truck has been very disappointing since it hit 1000km when the noises started. I used to think people were looking at my shiny new truck when I was driving by until I opened the window. The engine rattles, whines, whistles, grinds. It gets old fast and I'm embarrassed to drive this thing already. The truck has 7000km and it's already getting an engine replacement. The replacement engines have the same issues and Ford seems to not care. I hope anyone looking to buy one of these does their research and realize what you're getting into. Look up YouTube videos on these 5.0 engines and save yourself the depreciation on a brand new truck that you have to get rid of 7 months later..

Original review: June 8, 2019

There are a couple a features that I believe the user should be able to turn on/off. The do-do-do noise when you leave the key in, is incredible annoying. If you want to listen to the radio with the truck off, you will listen to this noise over the radio non-stop. The other feature is the auto lock when you drive. If you stop just for a second to load something up, the tailgate will be locked unless you unlock it when you get out. I know, these are minor things, but for me...unless these are addressed by Ford, it will be a Chevy for me next time. And just in case you say, "These are safety features that shouldn't be shut off" consider this. Ford does allow you to shut off the seat belt alarm. Hard to believe they allow seat belt alarms to be shut off, but key in noise, or auto lock while driving is too important to be allowed to be shut off. Going crazy with my new Ford. Wish I didn't buy it!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Purchased a brand new F-150 Powerstroke 2 months ago. Has now broken down twice going down the highway at 70 mph. Engine completely shuts off and won't re-start. We are out nearly $1000 out of pocket for a tow and rental. First break-down occurred after hours, second occurred on a holiday when we were three hours away from home. While the pickup was in the shop, they never even replaced anything. Blamed it on a faulty sensor, and only cleaned it out. Ford Roadside Assistance and Ford Customer Service continue to pass us off between departments, and no one has been able to get us reimbursed. We have a vacation coming up in a week, and not only do we not feel confident this brand new vehicle will get us there safely, we are also $1000 short on our vacation fund. We have been loyal Ford Customers: In the past 5 years, we have purchased 4 brand new vehicles. We will NEVER purchase another Ford vehicle after this experience.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Purchased my 2017 Platinum with 14k miles. Around the time for the first oil change I noticed a rattle or ticking noise. The advisor said it was normal when starting the truck. I let him listen to it while in the service bay and he said his does the same thing. The following week I returned to the dealer (due to this noise) same advisor was there and said yeah, that sounds odd and louder than last week. Another advisor listens and says no, that’s not normal. They determined that the cam phasers were bad and needed to be replaced.

After having the truck 4 weeks they called and said it’s fixed so I went to pick it up. Signed the papers got in the truck and noticed the check engine light was on. Went back in, found the service advisor, they pulled the truck in and did a reset. Ok, I left with my truck. Headed out of town and about 250 miles later the check engine light was back on. Went back to Ford. They kept the truck, ordered new sensors, installed and gave me the truck back a week later. Got the truck home and the next morning I noticed oil in the driveway (it had been raining). Called the service advisor. He said it was residual oil and would just go away. Went to visit family in Augusta and noticed oil in their driveway. Went to Ford in Evans GA. They said it was leaking around the main seal. Safe to drive it back to Atlanta.

Went back to the dealer, gave them the truck. They determined it was not the main seal. It was actually the seal(s) around the valve covers. Replaced and two weeks later I got the truck back. Started hearing a grinding noise from the rear and took the truck in for an oil change. The advisor recommended some other 30k items one being the transmission flush, which I had them do. As for the grinding noise I would need to leave it and it would be a week before they could look at it. Drove the truck 10-14 days and noticed it was skipping from 3-5 gears, which I never noticed before. Went to open the sunroof on the weekend before taking the truck in for the grinding noise and the skipping well, the sunroof glides broke.

I took the truck in the next day (Monday), explained the sunroof, the grinding and the skipping. They have now had my truck 3 weeks. They have ordered parts and repaired the sunroof, ordered parts and repaired/replaced the rear ends pins and a rear axle. Guess what??? The noise is still there and they have ordered a from axle and another part (I don’t recall the name). Oh and as for the transmission. They have ordered a new floater valve mechanism to replace the current one with... I’ve contacted Ford to open a case, I’m trying to get some help from somewhere. I just don’t know what to do.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I had a 2013 Ford F-150 FX2 with all the accessories. I had the oil changed regularly and had it was changed a month before the engine went out. I stopped at a red light and the engine made a funny noise and died. I had to be pushed out of traffic. I had the truck towed in to the nearest for dealership. They kept it two days before telling me the oil pump went out which caused the engine to seize and fail. NO WARNING lights informed me of this even though the truck was supposed to be top of the line.

The dealership informed me it would be $12,000.00 to replace the engine and turbos. I still owed about 23,000 on the truck so not something I can really walk away from. Ford was no help whatsoever stating my warranty expired at 69,000 miles. For this model of truck something should have informed me the oil pump was going out or the engine was having trouble. I did not have Ford replace the engine. Instead I had a local reputable company rebuild it (Texan Motor Co.). They rebuilt the engine for 8000.00 and gave me a 3 year warranty. I have switched to a Toyota since my Ford Fiasco. Should have never gone with Ford and never will again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford F-150?

Original review: April 17, 2019

My experience with my used 2012 F150 is bit of a love hate relationship, I could talk about how it used to have a smooth ride and it was nice to have the extended bed when I had to haul my toolbox to my new job. But what I would like to talk to you about is the longevity of this engine is questionable at best. March 25, 2018 I got a used F150 3.5 Ecoboost with 71,000 miles on it for roughly 23,000.00 dollars in debt at a dealership (Lilliston Ford of Vineland NJ) that I now know them to be scum. I will tell you that I put on 88,000 miles (17k was from me driving it) within the 10 months of ownership and they where problem free miles until the unplanned happened January 27, 2019. Took it a mile to go to a local corner store, ate there for about 30 mins, proceed to take the truck out of the parking lot and gave it a little gas to get up to speed and it die about 50 yard form the parking lot that I just came out of.

Was blasting music at the time, so I didn't hear it but I Felt the high rev when the truck went to failsafe mode (M Drive) and I looked down and saw the low oil pressure light came on, my hands reached for the key as fast as it could and Turned it off (if it wasn't already) the Cab smelled of oil but before I could think about that I hit my flashers and try and push the truck fully off the road and I manage to get help to push this truck to the side in manner of few seconds after I started to try.

Once to the side I immediately checked the oil and it wasn't too low it dropped just below the hash marks (so the pickup tube still had oil) and the oil that was lost was from this catastrophic fail that left oil coming from the sides of the engine, on to skidplate, small trail on trans and small puddle oil on the ground, so after checking the oil I try to bump the starter and when that fail I already began to think the worse that my engine is locked up. Got it confirmed by the closest Ford dealer (since I was kind of hoping that it was some sort of safety that was stopping me from bumping the engine over but forgot I could just try to bar it over by hand to circumvent the electronics) that happened to be Holmen Ford.

January 29 they manage to get it in and try to bar over the the crank over, it failed to move and they quoted me 10k to put a new engine in, got an independent shop and they wanted 9k and that's when I began to look at other avenues as mechanic that lack the equipment to take out an engine out and the proper ground to do it on, I began the dance to find a way forward.

Try talking to my tech school. I want to to see if I could bring it there and do the work, that was no go, try to see if I could take it to work and that wasn't going to fly, looked at a few used engines that where going for 3k and they where out of my price range since I wasn't able to save more than 1,500 dollars when this fail occurred and let's be honest I had no reason to keep more than 3k since the engine was at relatively low mileage in my eyes, looked in to new engine (with discount from work) and found it to be just 1000 dollars more (after I return the core charge) and it's not worth the risk putting in a used engine that might need all of the TSB updates to make engine reliable.

February 7, 1987 after feeling defeated I came back to Lilliston Ford hoping they would buy back the defective truck they sold me, what I got at first is "we would look into it. He would call me." A week passed and I had to call them to basically be told I was boned (this is paraphrasing). I was honestly ready to handle anything but a Powertrain issue but sadly I got something I never bargained for and now SOL. Long story short just stay away from Ford and buy something reliable like a Toyota with a manual or automatic transmission and you might be set for life. (Don't get CVT with your Toyota.)

Original review: April 4, 2019

I took by used (30,000 miles) 2017 F150 Platinum to my local dealer for its first oil change after purchasing the vehicle. The oil and filter was changed prior to taking delivery and I drove approx. 6,500 miles before going to the Ford dealer for the first oil change I would have performed on the truck. The truck has a powertrain warranty to 60,000 miles. Approx. 600 miles after this oil change I started dealing with "check engine" light issues, reduced power and poor running condition. After numerous 5+ (all documented with Ford paperwork) visits for service the issue is unable to be fixed. The dealership says they have found non-metallic debris in the oil of the engine. They have cleaned and replaced solenoid and changed oil twice. The conditions return approx 300 - 150 miles after an oil change.

Bottom line: the course of action now is for me to pay for oil changes that "may" gradually remove the "debris" from the oil. I tried this and the conditions returned 125 miles after paying for an oil change. If the oil change idea does not work (they have no idea how many changes it may take $$$), Ford recommends a new engine that will not be covered under warranty! It won't be covered under warranty because the debris is not metallic. The debris in the oil that started this whole situation was identified 600 miles after Ford performed the oil change on the truck.

There was an "aftermarket" Carquest oil filter on the truck when it came to Ford and they are now blaming that filter that was on the truck for 6,500 miles. This seems to be illegal if there is no evidence to prove the "aftermarket" part caused the issue. Keep in mind, there were 6,500 miles of trouble free driving on that filter. This issue started 600 miles AFTER the Ford oil change. They have no evidence that the previous filter had anything to do with this issue. The Ford Hotline notes even say that if the dealership suspected an aftermarket filter, the filter should have been kept and cut open. Nothing was done with the aftermarket filter and the use of one on the truck was never even mentioned to me, as there was no problem.

I have now started a case with Ford Customer Care who said they will review the notes from the dealership. I asked how I can submit my notes and explanation and they said they do not have a way for me to submit information... I do hope that someone within Ford reads the Ford notes carefully, which will illustrate everything stated above is true and accurate and stands behind either the engine, the oil filter or their service work. I will update this review accordingly based upon their decision. Thank you, Chris.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I wanted to make a complaint about Ford Motor Co. On yesterday, April 2, 2019 my Ford F150 truck exploded into fire without a cause, the engine wasn't on nor the keys in the ignition. The fire generated under the hood and completed destroyed the vehicle. It also caught my grass in my front yard on fire. If I had walked out to go to work 5 minutes earlier I would have lost my life.

The cause of the fire started from some unknown source from under the hood!!! My request from Ford is to compensate my family with another vehicle because this was my only means for transportation to go to work! This request is very reasonable due to the fact that no one lost their lives. I have pictures as well as a video that I can submit as evidence.

Please let me know how I submit this evidence to you and I will get it done expeditiously. Traumatized and disappointed of my vehicle situation, I have a wife and 8 children, 2 grandchildren, and a niece that I care for and I'm graceful to God that no one was in the truck because it would have been nearly impossible to get everyone out of the car in time without losing lives!!!

Original review: April 1, 2019

2011 F-150 EcoBoost. Good truck for the first 30k miles.

1st - front tires wear in a weird pattern and constantly... been to 2 tire shops and a dealer, all of which can't figure out why. Never been wrecked.
2nd - rear window defrost quit working at around 60k. Dealer said I need a whole new rear window.
3rd - both rear door latches broke and wouldn't open.
4th - when heater is on high it makes a loud knocking noise under the dashboard.
5th - tailgate latch needed replaced.
6th - at about 132k miles, I had to replace the engine due to timing chain and cam phaser issues.
7th - catalytic converter is needed replaced.

8th - now I have a turbo that went bad!

All this on a 40 thousand dollar truck! NEVER again Ford... promise!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I should have done my own walk-around inspection. I noticed the check engine light on as I drove it home for the first time at 80 miles. The service department was closed so I took it in the next day and they "couldn't figure out what the problem is." I am in a small loaner SUV indefinitely.

Ford F-150 Company Information