Ford F-150
  • 1 star
Based on 34 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Ford F-150

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

236 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Right at a year ago my wife and I purchased a 2010 Ford F150 XLT from Vic Bailey Ford in Spartanburg SC at a cost of $23,000. Less than a month later the rear end and transmission had to be rebuilt at a cost of $5100. Two months later the rear end went out again more money. Four months later rear end out a 3rd time. Now the transmission is going out again. Repairs costing so much I can't afford to pay the $480 a month payment. It's sad. I have been a Ford tough customer all my life but will never buy another and will tell everyone I talk to in daily life not to ever get one. Ford needs to step up and do something about this situation.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

A single clunk occurs after slowing down and then accelerating. This happens all the time at intersections where you come to almost a complete stop then press the gas pedal to accelerate. Just as you let off the brake and tap the gas pedal, a single clunk sound is felt and heard. I have had the Ford F-150 to the Ford garage several times and they dismiss it as a normal characteristic of the Ford transmission. I have driven trucks all my life, including Fords, and have never felt this kind of slack in the drive-train, and then to have it called normal.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I rated my 1998 Ford Trucks F-150, it has less than 100,000 mi and runs very well, quite. Ford now charges cars, trucks and your payment is MORE than your rent or mort! I really think they are going to price themselves right out the door, people cannot afford cars that run almost $50,000 for a Ford or a Chevy unless you buy the cheapest model. You also will note on Ford F-150's 2006 - present, they have massive problems, Ford will not repair unless it is a recall some say but do your homework and read reviews of several year models before you buy.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I also have a 2014 F150 4 x 4 XLT. 40,000 miles. My booster pump failed coming down the mountains with my family. Scary crap. There was a noise coming from the brake pedal that I had brought in the day before I went camping too. Ford found nothing. Then I had issues with coverage for my warranty when one Ford dealership didn’t replace a pin during the repair that required me to bring it to a local Ford dealership a couple days later because of a message on my dash. They squabbled over who was going to pick up the $600 bill. I surely didn’t, but they want me to. I became the mediator of the two dealerships. How ridiculous is that? They called this customer service?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I bought my 2007 F150 Lariat used at a Ford dealership (extremely rude people). It had 93000 mi on it, ran great for about 9 months maybe? Then the engine light came on bad intake manifold runner, then the famous ticking noise started. Very long story short I've replaced lifters, cam phasers VCT solenoids multiple times, alternator idle air control valve, rear pinion seal twice! Radio, window switches (still won't work!). Lower control arms, a/c compressor, steering rack, paint on both bumpers, rear axle is tweaked, more alignments than I can count, transmission overheated, wiring to the rear subwoofer is faulty, intake manifold runner again! Tension pulley, radiator, it's leaking power steering fluid and it's out of alignment again. I did the math. I've paid for this POS twice over just in repair costs. Its has 150000 mi on it now and I can’t sell it fast enough!... Oh and the entire engine when it blew up!!! Never ever ever again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

With only 94k miles, my engine threw a rod through the block? Even after a regular maintenance every 4 thousand miles for the last 6 years my engine blew itself up while going up a grade. Ford offered no explanation, just said those things happen. They wanted 10,500+tax to make repairs and only offered 2500.00 towards the repair cost? If I wanted to buy a new truck they offered me an x plan which was 200.00, yes 200.00 more off a new truck than anyone else would get. I have found that there is NO LOYALTY with the dealership or Ford Motor Corporation. Quality, not a chance. Will never buy another Ford product.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I was driving about 70 mph on the freeway when my Ford F150 Truck suddenly lost serious power with a hard misfire & warning lights lighting up on the dash. I Dropped it off Friendly Ford Las Vegas Service Department & they said a cylinder has lost compression for "Unknown Reasons"?? & said it would be $2800 to tear down the engine to see what is happening. I declined & took it to a small repair shop who opened the hood & "By Hand", lifted a "BURNT, MELTED, FRIED & DESTROYED SPARK PLUG" from the #3 cylinder. No threads or bottom of spark plug was left. He said Fords newer modular engines began spitting spark plugs in their 4.6L/5.8L engines in the 1990s.

He put a small wire type camera into the cylinder & it showed extensive piston & cylinder wall damage. "No Tear Down was ever needed. He said to replace the engine with a new engine was about $8500 or for a used low mileage engine, it would be about $2500 to $3000. I swapped it out for a 28k used & traded my last ever Ford in on a Toyota Tundra Crew Cab. My family & I are forever done with all Ford Motor Company vehicles.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I am a 100% Naval Disable Veteran with a power chair and leg braces. My wife and I are going through serious traumatic experience and trying to pick up the pieces after Hurricane Harvey ravished our home in Corpus Christi, Texas. Recently have had several compression shut downs on my 2012 F-150 Lariat as the Wrench signal light comes on. That has caused me to experience frightening serious near misses with other vehicles including commercial 18-wheelers on the highways.

I made it clear to Ford reps in San Antonio Texas that it is a "Death Trap" waiting to happen!!! THE ASS.GM at McCombs Fords West immediately and for 7 hours thereafter made attempts to resolve the matter by selling me a new F-150. And said that any expenses to fix the problem would be on me as for the compression issue and any further issues as the warranty had allegedly expired, when I knew for a fact that it was still active since my truck only has 77656 miles on it and my warranty is good up to 100k miles.

When I informed him that was going to pursue legal action against the warranty company for breach of contract he had a change of heart and apologized for giving me wrong information. Yet still failed to resolve the mechanical issue accordingly, and had me drive away in the "Death Trap". On my way back home to Corpus from San Antonio that night my truck shut down twice so I slept in the truck leg braces and all at a gas station in Karnes City, Tx... and finally made it home to my wife, dog, and damaged house. Fearful for my wife's and my safety and lives and those of the public I am besides myself to ever operate my truck until Ford honors its contractual agreement and resolve this serious issue accordingly.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

F-150 is a great truck. I rated Ford because I have a 1998 one of the last great F-150's out there, not even 100,000 mi and she still runs like new. However, models 99 to present reviews show horrible problems mostly due to mass production ie 2015 to present and poor service. Prices continue to climb, paying more for a vehicle than your mortgage is pretty stupid. I look for Ford to price itself right out the door, price for transportation today is going to affect all manufactures in the very near future, sad to say.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

The front driver seat broke and dropped 8 inches in an instant! There's a small bolt that attaches the rod that makes it tilt forward and tilt back that came out. My wife wasn't driving thank God, because she couldn't see over the dash. Eyes were level with Speedo and Tach and would have CRASHED if she were driving, but it broke as soon as she started adjusting the seat position! The seat when operating correctly could not go as low as it did when it broke! Someone is going to get hurt. I repaired the seat myself. I just had to bolt it back together and put a tack weld on the back side where the bolt attaches. The bolt was so small all it has is 4 threads that measured about 4mm long. VERY DANGEROUS!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I LOVE MY TRUCK!!! It currently has 385,787 miles on its original engine. The only problem that I have with Big Red (truck) is that the window motors keep going out. I won't give it up until it falls apart. I LOVE MY 2005 FORD F150.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

This is our 4th New Ford F150 and everyone has been excellent from performance to looks. They have great safety features and are always reliable. If there is a warranty issue (rare like one total on all the pickups) they are quick to fix and do it right. We love our Fords. We also have a Taurus which is just as good!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Owning a Ford truck FI50 has been a very bad experience. I have had to replace three transmissions since I owned it. It is currently leaking 2 1/2 gallons of oil a day and I have received no advice or help from them. This truck has been nothing but trouble for my company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

In December I purchased a 2016 F 150 2.7 EcoBoost, I had traded a 2014 F 150 that was a good truck, just didn't have all that I wanted. At 10,000 my nightmare begin. The truck would cut off at stop signs and red lights which it's designed to do, however, when I let off the brake it wouldn't start back up. I had to physically start it. I took a picture of the display to show dealer. This wasn't the only problem then it started making a rattling noise on a cold crank. Of course the dealer was awe struck and didn't have a clue. (big lie) The dealer talked in riddles. Anyway after 2 days shy of three weeks they tell me Ford wants to install new headers. New headers on a new vehicle. Ridiculous, should be new engine. Still fighting with them.

After much research I find this problem is everywhere a 2.7 iceboats engine is. Others actually blew head gaskets and had horrible oil related problems from smoke to loosing tons of oil. Ford is highly aware of this problem and they should own it upfront and make their loyal customers whole. I still have lots of warranty left, but what about those who don't. It's unfair to stick a person with a factory defect. people depend on these trucks and livelihoods are at stake. A message to other Ford owners, please include your engine type so others can help you identify your problem.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I have owned many Ford cars and trucks over the years, right now is a 2013 Focus se, transmission issues big time. I put 30,000 miles on this car, trade in value 6,000, driving it off the lot 23,700. I have always wanted to buy American but this is just too much. I had a 1981 Ford f-150 that got 20 miles per gallon 36 years later, no improvements. With all their knowledge they can't improve MPG in 37 years?

Original review: July 13, 2017

F150 5.4 Triton engine blew spark plugs, ate coil packs and devoured fuel injectors. I will NEVER own another POS Ford. From now on it's Chevrolet trucks for me. The worst part - FORD NEVER LISTENS TO THE ONES WHO SUPPORT THEIR COMPANY AND THEIR DEALERS ARE JUST PLAIN RUDE. Solution to the problem - never buy a Ford.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I was driving my 2016 Ford F-150 with 5500 miles on it up a hill and going about 70 MPH and the motor shut off then restarted by itself. This has happened 3 times in a week so I took it to the dealer and they ran a ton of tests and determined that the truck needed a new engine. Ford tells me they have never heard of this issue before. Talk about dangerous!!! Thankfully there wasn't a vehicle behind us or this would have been a completely different story. Hopefully this fixes the problem but I will have a very hard time trusting this truck after this. I will say that Ford and the dealership have been great so far and it is the first big issue I have ever had with a Ford truck.

Original review: June 22, 2017

F150 Aluminum Head Spark Plug — I have owned a 99 F150 5.4 liter since 2003. Only problem I have had is the infamous spark plug that blows out of the head. Orielly's Auto Parts and probably others have a fix for this or you can take it to a shop for a fairly inexpensive fix. Cost me 250 to get it fixed and have not had a problem since. I change my oil with Royal Purple Synthetic religiously. Tomorrow I am purchasing a Ford F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.0. I hope I have as good luck with this one as I did with the other. You take care of your machine and your machine will take care of you.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I purchased brand new 2017 F-150 3 months ago. Went to do my first oil change and found barely any oil in engine. Brought to Capital Ford Service Dept. in Raleigh, NC and was told oil pan was never installed properly at factory and had been leaking. They replaced oil pan and all was good. I have been driving the truck for 2 weeks since service was done and I have been smelling oil burning ever since. I assumed it was residual from the service work.

I went to check oil 3 days ago and found the mechanic never reinstalled the oil dipstick. It was laying on my engine. For the last 2 weeks there has been oil blowing out of the dipstick tube all over my engine!!! My $45,000 truck is now contaminated with oil all over it. I called the Service Dept. back and they apologized and told me they would set up a time to clean the engine. My wires and entire engine is coated with oil and will eventually rust from this. At any rate it has been 3 days now and still no call back. I want my truck replaced!!

Original review: April 23, 2017

Trent ** bought a beautiful truck 2012 Ford F-150 silver loaded... to the gills. He's thinking of LONG term with this truck. It had the V-6 Ecoboost 3.5 liter motor. Trent was very proud of his new truck that was his first purchase from a Cross Chrysler in Louisville. Truck had 62,000 miles on it. Anyway, Trent drives off the lot a proud owner. This was in October 2016. Truck seemed solid... and I use the word seemed very lightly. Sunday Trent and Lindsey Nicole ** were driving to our house. Trent called me and said he was sitting on side of the road. Long story short... BLOWED MOTOR. TRUCK now has 68,000 miles on it. Yes that's 6000 miles on the truck since Trent had bought it.

We towed it here and started the dreaded phone calls. Checked on warranty. It's a FORD. The warranty is 5year/100,000 km. Which in the USA, that's 62,000 miles. So we're good on the 5 year, but 6000 miles over Warranty. Here is the part that CHAPS MY ASS. Trent calls several different FORD DEALERSHIPS and they all read the same Queue Card. Sorry, you're 6000 miles over. So Trent calls the Cross Chrysler and talks to manager and manager said if this was a Dodge or Chrysler, they would get him an extension on warranty. So the Manager went to work for Trent, calling every Ford Dealer and manager he knew. To ask for an extension. But he came up empty. He called Trent the next day and told Trent that when the truck is fixed, send bill to him and he will pay $1000.00. My problem is a Chrysler Dealer is helping my son. A Dealer. A Manager. More than Ford Corporation. Pretty sad Ford.

Original review: April 22, 2017

In November 2002, I bought a brand new 2003 F-150 with 17 miles on it. It now has over 276,000 miles and is still going strong. The only repairs beyond the usual replacement of brakes, tires, fluids... was the 4th gear in the tranny and the pinion seal. It's only on its 2nd clutch, has no leaks, starts right up, doesn't burn/use oil, rides smoothly and still gets 18/22 fuel mileage. There's very mild surface rust (I live the Northern part of the country where salting/sanding is common during the winter). The only problem I have had was when the passenger side seat belt locked up when someone would strap it on and wouldn't "let go" until the belt was released. This was at 55,000 miles and Ford said it was out of warranty at 50,000 miles. It'll be $400 to replace that seat belt.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I bought a 2013 F-150 EcoBoost new, and from the start it was riddled with problems. It would go into limp mode often like all of them do, but the worst part was the battery kept going dead randomly, once every few months. Ford made a poor effort to troubleshoot and finally said they couldn't do anything. I traded it at another dealer for a used 2013 F-150, thinking I only had a lemon. This truck was OK for about 6 months, then it started developing squeaks, exhaust manifold leaks, and climate control problems. Then at 62,000 miles, just out of powertrain warranty, the timing chain began making terrible noises upon startup. Called Ford and they said "Too bad." No more Fords for me, my new Tundra is on the way.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I have a 2003 Ford F-150 pickup. The spark plug blew out of the engine while I was driving on the freeway at 70 miles per hour. I had my truck towed to a mechanic garage, and was told this is a common but expensive repair. Upon further review online, I found there to be hundreds of reports of this problem. Ford has done nothing to take care of this serious and dangerous problem. I read if there is to be a recall it would be the largest ever. Ford needs to take care of this.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I own a Ford F150 with brake problems. The rotors became warped causing the truck to shake when the brakes are applied. I took it to the dealer while it was still in warranty and they ground the rotors. As soon as the warranty expired at 36000 miles the rotors warped again. The dealership will not fix them. And Ford's customer service told me it was the dealer's problem. I have done some research and what I have learned is that the rotors, once ground are even more susceptible to warping because they are thinner. What I do not know but suspect is that the rotors are simply under designed for the weight of the vehicle.

I do not ride my brakes and the dealer can tell that because my brake pads are still in good condition. So I am faced with the decision of whether to spend more money installing new rotors hoping that the rotors themselves were somehow defective and that the replacements will not be defective, an iffy proposition at best, or just sell the truck and write it off as an expensive learning experience.

Original review: March 16, 2017

My 2015 F150 XLT has 41,000 miles on it and the paint is falling off. It's bubbling, cracking and just falling off. I took it into Ford and they said the truck was out of warranty and "SORRY". Wouldn't you expect a Ford factory paint job to last more than 2 years? I paid $44,000.00 for this truck and I will never buy another F150. Even the dealership said the paint job was defective. You would think Ford would stand behind their product.

Original review: March 16, 2017

2007 Ford F150 = Very bad engine design. Sparkplug very difficult to replace. No shop want to do it except Ford dealer and Ford dealer charge over $1500 just to change the spark plug. Engine fuel injection going bad. Engine head gasket blow up. Bad coil and Boot. Bad transmission = Sometimes just stuck in park won't move, very noisy gear, bad gear shift. And the worst is Ford Customer relation and Ford corporate will not do anything about it. Just don't buy Ford vehicle.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Motor noise on startup! Dealer, took apart inspected, said would not be cover under warranty due to oil sludge. Oil was always changed by their computer just like the owners manual tell you too. This is a big problem with Ford. They look in the oil filler cap and can tell you no!! ESP is crap. Ford knows turbo's make sludge "all turbo's" do... So 500 bucks later I get it back and now 2 blocks away from dealer engine light comes on so I take back and say that everything is hook up the motors just bad from the oil!! So I took for a second option. They found sensor unplugged. They had gotten it under the valve cover and the cam cut and shorted the wires. This cause the phaser to have wrong valve timing!! Blown head gasket and valves tapped top of piston. There was sludge but bearings were perfect so oil was working. The timing chains are weak that's why Ford has a TSB on them and Phasers! 1st ecoboost = S O L.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I just bought my son a used F-150 with fairly low miles for a pickup, 120,000. Within 3 weeks of purchase from a private seller, the rear spark plug blew. The mechanic "tried" fixing it with a sleeve and Loctite. Waited overnight to set, took out to test drive, and it blew again. The sleeve and Loctite did not hold. It blew within 2 blocks. Looking online after this experience, thousands of others are having to deal with this. Will there ever be a recall? Just bought this truck... out thousands for purchase and out $$$ for repairs that are not holding. Now my son has 2 inoperable vehicles. The one that originally died and the newer purchase to replace the one that died. Still has NO car to go to work. It would not be so bad if this was a permanent solution and not a reoccurring nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Would never buy another Ford again. First and last. More problems than I can even list. Not to mention it's a 2012 3 sets of brake pads, Ford forgot when it added a larger heavier engine to fix the braking system so the truck eats pads. I have had the transmission replaced. The automatic running boards work when they want to. The driver side window freezes up. Numerous trips to the dealer to replace parts -- of course with deductible out of pocket. I am as disgusted as a person can get. I'll never get half of what I paid for this POS in a trade in.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Purchased brand new Ford F150 for just under $50,000 and had nothing but problems with it. BOB BELL FORD made me fight for every problem to get it fixed, damaged my truck twice in the last two visits, repaired the ding they put in my door first time, but this last visit, chipped the edge of my door, got mad at me for asking that it be fixed, agreed to fix it, but when I wouldn't accept their appointment to fix it, because they didn't line up a vehicle for me to use for the day with my paid extended warranty which includes this service, they told me I was no longer welcome at the dealership. Nice, Huh... I had also left them a poor survey for their poor service weeks prior because of all the problems with this truck and the struggle to get them to honor their warranty and I have read from a number of other Ford Vehicle Buyers that left complaints with Ford, that they were treated the same way, told that they were no longer welcome at the dealership any longer.

I guess this is how Ford deals with its customers who don't leave favorable surveys for them when they don't deserve them. Remember this before you make the mistake of buying a new Ford Vehicle from Ford and especially from BOB BELL FORD on Ritchie Hwy in Glen Burnie, MD; I will not make the mistake of buying another new one from them until they stand behind their warranty. It was such a disappointment buying this truck from them, what a mistake, wish I could go back in time so I could make a smarter purchase.

Ford F-150 Company Information