Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
3.28/5

Ford F-150

One of the most well-known trucks on the market, the Ford F-150 is a light-duty truck. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

318 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

My experience with my used 2012 F150 is bit of a love hate relationship, I could talk about how it used to have a smooth ride and it was nice to have the extended bed when I had to haul my toolbox to my new job. But what I would like to talk to you about is the longevity of this engine is questionable at best. March 25, 2018 I got a used F150 3.5 Ecoboost with 71,000 miles on it for roughly 23,000.00 dollars in debt at a dealership (Lilliston Ford of Vineland NJ) that I now know them to be scum. I will tell you that I put on 88,000 miles (17k was from me driving it) within the 10 months of ownership and they where problem free miles until the unplanned happened January 27, 2019. Took it a mile to go to a local corner store, ate there for about 30 mins, proceed to take the truck out of the parking lot and gave it a little gas to get up to speed and it die about 50 yard form the parking lot that I just came out of.

Was blasting music at the time, so I didn't hear it but I Felt the high rev when the truck went to failsafe mode (M Drive) and I looked down and saw the low oil pressure light came on, my hands reached for the key as fast as it could and Turned it off (if it wasn't already) the Cab smelled of oil but before I could think about that I hit my flashers and try and push the truck fully off the road and I manage to get help to push this truck to the side in manner of few seconds after I started to try.

Once to the side I immediately checked the oil and it wasn't too low it dropped just below the hash marks (so the pickup tube still had oil) and the oil that was lost was from this catastrophic fail that left oil coming from the sides of the engine, on to skidplate, small trail on trans and small puddle oil on the ground, so after checking the oil I try to bump the starter and when that fail I already began to think the worse that my engine is locked up. Got it confirmed by the closest Ford dealer (since I was kind of hoping that it was some sort of safety that was stopping me from bumping the engine over but forgot I could just try to bar it over by hand to circumvent the electronics) that happened to be Holmen Ford.

January 29 they manage to get it in and try to bar over the the crank over, it failed to move and they quoted me 10k to put a new engine in, got an independent shop and they wanted 9k and that's when I began to look at other avenues as mechanic that lack the equipment to take out an engine out and the proper ground to do it on, I began the dance to find a way forward.

Try talking to my tech school. I want to to see if I could bring it there and do the work, that was no go, try to see if I could take it to work and that wasn't going to fly, looked at a few used engines that where going for 3k and they where out of my price range since I wasn't able to save more than 1,500 dollars when this fail occurred and let's be honest I had no reason to keep more than 3k since the engine was at relatively low mileage in my eyes, looked in to new engine (with discount from work) and found it to be just 1000 dollars more (after I return the core charge) and it's not worth the risk putting in a used engine that might need all of the TSB updates to make engine reliable.

February 7, 1987 after feeling defeated I came back to Lilliston Ford hoping they would buy back the defective truck they sold me, what I got at first is "we would look into it. He would call me." A week passed and I had to call them to basically be told I was boned (this is paraphrasing). I was honestly ready to handle anything but a Powertrain issue but sadly I got something I never bargained for and now SOL. Long story short just stay away from Ford and buy something reliable like a Toyota with a manual or automatic transmission and you might be set for life. (Don't get CVT with your Toyota.)

Original review: April 4, 2019

I took by used (30,000 miles) 2017 F150 Platinum to my local dealer for its first oil change after purchasing the vehicle. The oil and filter was changed prior to taking delivery and I drove approx. 6,500 miles before going to the Ford dealer for the first oil change I would have performed on the truck. The truck has a powertrain warranty to 60,000 miles. Approx. 600 miles after this oil change I started dealing with "check engine" light issues, reduced power and poor running condition. After numerous 5+ (all documented with Ford paperwork) visits for service the issue is unable to be fixed. The dealership says they have found non-metallic debris in the oil of the engine. They have cleaned and replaced solenoid and changed oil twice. The conditions return approx 300 - 150 miles after an oil change.

Bottom line: the course of action now is for me to pay for oil changes that "may" gradually remove the "debris" from the oil. I tried this and the conditions returned 125 miles after paying for an oil change. If the oil change idea does not work (they have no idea how many changes it may take $$$), Ford recommends a new engine that will not be covered under warranty! It won't be covered under warranty because the debris is not metallic. The debris in the oil that started this whole situation was identified 600 miles after Ford performed the oil change on the truck.

There was an "aftermarket" Carquest oil filter on the truck when it came to Ford and they are now blaming that filter that was on the truck for 6,500 miles. This seems to be illegal if there is no evidence to prove the "aftermarket" part caused the issue. Keep in mind, there were 6,500 miles of trouble free driving on that filter. This issue started 600 miles AFTER the Ford oil change. They have no evidence that the previous filter had anything to do with this issue. The Ford Hotline notes even say that if the dealership suspected an aftermarket filter, the filter should have been kept and cut open. Nothing was done with the aftermarket filter and the use of one on the truck was never even mentioned to me, as there was no problem.

I have now started a case with Ford Customer Care who said they will review the notes from the dealership. I asked how I can submit my notes and explanation and they said they do not have a way for me to submit information... I do hope that someone within Ford reads the Ford notes carefully, which will illustrate everything stated above is true and accurate and stands behind either the engine, the oil filter or their service work. I will update this review accordingly based upon their decision. Thank you, Chris.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I wanted to make a complaint about Ford Motor Co. On yesterday, April 2, 2019 my Ford F150 truck exploded into fire without a cause, the engine wasn't on nor the keys in the ignition. The fire generated under the hood and completed destroyed the vehicle. It also caught my grass in my front yard on fire. If I had walked out to go to work 5 minutes earlier I would have lost my life.

The cause of the fire started from some unknown source from under the hood!!! My request from Ford is to compensate my family with another vehicle because this was my only means for transportation to go to work! This request is very reasonable due to the fact that no one lost their lives. I have pictures as well as a video that I can submit as evidence.

Please let me know how I submit this evidence to you and I will get it done expeditiously. Traumatized and disappointed of my vehicle situation, I have a wife and 8 children, 2 grandchildren, and a niece that I care for and I'm graceful to God that no one was in the truck because it would have been nearly impossible to get everyone out of the car in time without losing lives!!!

Original review: April 1, 2019

2011 F-150 EcoBoost. Good truck for the first 30k miles.

1st - front tires wear in a weird pattern and constantly... been to 2 tire shops and a dealer, all of which can't figure out why. Never been wrecked.
2nd - rear window defrost quit working at around 60k. Dealer said I need a whole new rear window.
3rd - both rear door latches broke and wouldn't open.
4th - when heater is on high it makes a loud knocking noise under the dashboard.
5th - tailgate latch needed replaced.
6th - at about 132k miles, I had to replace the engine due to timing chain and cam phaser issues.
7th - catalytic converter is needed replaced.

8th - now I have a turbo that went bad!

All this on a 40 thousand dollar truck! NEVER again Ford... promise!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I should have done my own walk-around inspection. I noticed the check engine light on as I drove it home for the first time at 80 miles. The service department was closed so I took it in the next day and they "couldn't figure out what the problem is." I am in a small loaner SUV indefinitely.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford F-150?

Original review: March 2, 2019

So, we bought a new 2017 2.7 liter EcoBoost, with a 6 speed transmission. Great truck. Then around 10,000 kms it starts to blow white smoke upon start up. As most people know, white smoke usually means, you're blowing antifreeze. The dealer says they can't find a problem. Eventually they offer me a 2018 F-150 for the same payment per month, sounds good right? I get my 2018 F-150 but this one I wanted a V8 5.0 liter with the ten speed transmission. Big mistake, long story short. I checked the oil between oil changes, before 12,000 kms to find out on the dipstick I was almost out of oil. By the way, I park in the same spot everyday at work, and have zero oil leaks. Ford doesn't have any answers yet. Also, my 10 speed transmission downshifts very hard. Was told it's not showing any codes. Not happy with Ford.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Loud whining noise. Down 5-6 miles per gallon fuel economy. Clunking. Delays of power to wheels causing vehicle to jerk back and forth so bad my kids complain about it. Severe steering problems. Pulls left, pulls right. Steering wheel binds steering wheel constantly pulsating. Engine knocking. Engine rattles. Door latches have frozen shut in cold weather. Not safe to drive Ford. Corporate says they only go by what Dealership tells them and Dealership tells me that I am wasting their time on warranty work. Ford and the dealership are terrible. Absolute junk. Will never buy another Ford. Shame on Ford for expecting people to work hard to pay for 100% junk unsafe truck. Do not buy a new F-150. You will regret it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I purchased a new Fx4 with the 3.5l ten speed transmission and have no complaints whatsoever. Shifting is smooth and quiet starting or stopping. This is my fifth new Ford pickup in about eighteen years. I have never had mechanical problems with any of the pickups. I also drive like a bat out of hell along with huge amounts of miles on every one of them. Love them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I special order this truck. Put $5000.00 down and waited 3 months to receive it. It is a great truck except that the 10 speed transmission make you hate this truck.

80% of the gear shift happens out of time causing a bump/slam on the transmission. Downshifting to a stop is the worst for it really hard shift every time you come to a stop. It has being at the dealer 4 times and every time the response is "it is normal". It is not. It is a piece of junk. To make it worst the so called adaptation, which is supposed to learn your drive style and make the shifting better, do the opposite to the point I need to erase its memory every 500 miles... It is irritating.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have owned a 2016 Ford F150 since new, now with 50k miles. Thus far my transmission slams, windshield wipers won't turn off, and my phone never connects to the sync system. To me, these trucks are slapped so quickly together and everything is built as cheaply as possible. It doesn't ride well, and with the aluminum frame, a breeze flexes the body panels.

Ford F-150 Company Information