Ford F-150

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In December I purchased a 2016 F 150 2.7 EcoBoost, I had traded a 2014 F 150 that was a good truck, just didn't have all that I wanted. At 10,000 my nightmare begin. The truck would cut off at stop signs and red lights which it's designed to do, however, when I let off the brake it wouldn't start back up. I had to physically start it. I took a picture of the display to show dealer. This wasn't the only problem then it started making a rattling noise on a cold crank. Of course the dealer was awe struck and didn't have a clue. (big lie) The dealer talked in riddles. Anyway after 2 days shy of three weeks they tell me Ford wants to install new headers. New headers on a new vehicle. Ridiculous, should be new engine. Still fighting with them.

After much research I find this problem is everywhere a 2.7 iceboats engine is. Others actually blew head gaskets and had horrible oil related problems from smoke to loosing tons of oil. Ford is highly aware of this problem and they should own it upfront and make their loyal customers whole. I still have lots of warranty left, but what about those who don't. It's unfair to stick a person with a factory defect. people depend on these trucks and livelihoods are at stake. A message to other Ford owners, please include your engine type so others can help you identify your problem.

I have owned many Ford cars and trucks over the years, right now is a 2013 Focus se, transmission issues big time. I put 30,000 miles on this car, trade in value 6,000, driving it off the lot 23,700. I have always wanted to buy American but this is just too much. I had a 1981 Ford f-150 that got 20 miles per gallon 36 years later, no improvements. With all their knowledge they can't improve MPG in 37 years?

F150 5.4 Triton engine blew spark plugs, ate coil packs and devoured fuel injectors. I will NEVER own another POS Ford. From now on it's Chevrolet trucks for me. The worst part - FORD NEVER LISTENS TO THE ONES WHO SUPPORT THEIR COMPANY AND THEIR DEALERS ARE JUST PLAIN RUDE. Solution to the problem - never buy a Ford.

I was driving my 2016 Ford F-150 with 5500 miles on it up a hill and going about 70 MPH and the motor shut off then restarted by itself. This has happened 3 times in a week so I took it to the dealer and they ran a ton of tests and determined that the truck needed a new engine. Ford tells me they have never heard of this issue before. Talk about dangerous!!! Thankfully there wasn't a vehicle behind us or this would have been a completely different story. Hopefully this fixes the problem but I will have a very hard time trusting this truck after this. I will say that Ford and the dealership have been great so far and it is the first big issue I have ever had with a Ford truck.

F150 Aluminum Head Spark Plug — I have owned a 99 F150 5.4 liter since 2003. Only problem I have had is the infamous spark plug that blows out of the head. Orielly's Auto Parts and probably others have a fix for this or you can take it to a shop for a fairly inexpensive fix. Cost me 250 to get it fixed and have not had a problem since. I change my oil with Royal Purple Synthetic religiously. Tomorrow I am purchasing a Ford F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.0. I hope I have as good luck with this one as I did with the other. You take care of your machine and your machine will take care of you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

I purchased brand new 2017 F-150 3 months ago. Went to do my first oil change and found barely any oil in engine. Brought to Capital Ford Service Dept. in Raleigh, NC and was told oil pan was never installed properly at factory and had been leaking. They replaced oil pan and all was good. I have been driving the truck for 2 weeks since service was done and I have been smelling oil burning ever since. I assumed it was residual from the service work.

I went to check oil 3 days ago and found the mechanic never reinstalled the oil dipstick. It was laying on my engine. For the last 2 weeks there has been oil blowing out of the dipstick tube all over my engine!!! My $45,000 truck is now contaminated with oil all over it. I called the Service Dept. back and they apologized and told me they would set up a time to clean the engine. My wires and entire engine is coated with oil and will eventually rust from this. At any rate it has been 3 days now and still no call back. I want my truck replaced!!

Trent ** bought a beautiful truck 2012 Ford F-150 silver loaded... to the gills. He's thinking of LONG term with this truck. It had the V-6 Ecoboost 3.5 liter motor. Trent was very proud of his new truck that was his first purchase from a Cross Chrysler in Louisville. Truck had 62,000 miles on it. Anyway, Trent drives off the lot a proud owner. This was in October 2016. Truck seemed solid... and I use the word seemed very lightly. Sunday Trent and Lindsey Nicole ** were driving to our house. Trent called me and said he was sitting on side of the road. Long story short... BLOWED MOTOR. TRUCK now has 68,000 miles on it. Yes that's 6000 miles on the truck since Trent had bought it.

We towed it here and started the dreaded phone calls. Checked on warranty. It's a FORD. The warranty is 5year/100,000 km. Which in the USA, that's 62,000 miles. So we're good on the 5 year, but 6000 miles over Warranty. Here is the part that CHAPS MY ASS. Trent calls several different FORD DEALERSHIPS and they all read the same Queue Card. Sorry, you're 6000 miles over. So Trent calls the Cross Chrysler and talks to manager and manager said if this was a Dodge or Chrysler, they would get him an extension on warranty. So the Manager went to work for Trent, calling every Ford Dealer and manager he knew. To ask for an extension. But he came up empty. He called Trent the next day and told Trent that when the truck is fixed, send bill to him and he will pay $1000.00. My problem is a Chrysler Dealer is helping my son. A Dealer. A Manager. More than Ford Corporation. Pretty sad Ford.

In November 2002, I bought a brand new 2003 F-150 with 17 miles on it. It now has over 276,000 miles and is still going strong. The only repairs beyond the usual replacement of brakes, tires, fluids... was the 4th gear in the tranny and the pinion seal. It's only on its 2nd clutch, has no leaks, starts right up, doesn't burn/use oil, rides smoothly and still gets 18/22 fuel mileage. There's very mild surface rust (I live the Northern part of the country where salting/sanding is common during the winter). The only problem I have had was when the passenger side seat belt locked up when someone would strap it on and wouldn't "let go" until the belt was released. This was at 55,000 miles and Ford said it was out of warranty at 50,000 miles. It'll be $400 to replace that seat belt.

I bought a 2013 F-150 EcoBoost new, and from the start it was riddled with problems. It would go into limp mode often like all of them do, but the worst part was the battery kept going dead randomly, once every few months. Ford made a poor effort to troubleshoot and finally said they couldn't do anything. I traded it at another dealer for a used 2013 F-150, thinking I only had a lemon. This truck was OK for about 6 months, then it started developing squeaks, exhaust manifold leaks, and climate control problems. Then at 62,000 miles, just out of powertrain warranty, the timing chain began making terrible noises upon startup. Called Ford and they said "Too bad." No more Fords for me, my new Tundra is on the way.

I have a 2003 Ford F-150 pickup. The spark plug blew out of the engine while I was driving on the freeway at 70 miles per hour. I had my truck towed to a mechanic garage, and was told this is a common but expensive repair. Upon further review online, I found there to be hundreds of reports of this problem. Ford has done nothing to take care of this serious and dangerous problem. I read if there is to be a recall it would be the largest ever. Ford needs to take care of this.

I own a Ford F150 with brake problems. The rotors became warped causing the truck to shake when the brakes are applied. I took it to the dealer while it was still in warranty and they ground the rotors. As soon as the warranty expired at 36000 miles the rotors warped again. The dealership will not fix them. And Ford's customer service told me it was the dealer's problem. I have done some research and what I have learned is that the rotors, once ground are even more susceptible to warping because they are thinner. What I do not know but suspect is that the rotors are simply under designed for the weight of the vehicle.

I do not ride my brakes and the dealer can tell that because my brake pads are still in good condition. So I am faced with the decision of whether to spend more money installing new rotors hoping that the rotors themselves were somehow defective and that the replacements will not be defective, an iffy proposition at best, or just sell the truck and write it off as an expensive learning experience.

My 2015 F150 XLT has 41,000 miles on it and the paint is falling off. It's bubbling, cracking and just falling off. I took it into Ford and they said the truck was out of warranty and "SORRY". Wouldn't you expect a Ford factory paint job to last more than 2 years? I paid $44,000.00 for this truck and I will never buy another F150. Even the dealership said the paint job was defective. You would think Ford would stand behind their product.

2007 Ford F150 = Very bad engine design. Sparkplug very difficult to replace. No shop want to do it except Ford dealer and Ford dealer charge over $1500 just to change the spark plug. Engine fuel injection going bad. Engine head gasket blow up. Bad coil and Boot. Bad transmission = Sometimes just stuck in park won't move, very noisy gear, bad gear shift. And the worst is Ford Customer relation and Ford corporate will not do anything about it. Just don't buy Ford vehicle.

Was traveling along I-85 about 70mph in my 2013 f-150 stx 5.0 when out of nowhere the truck down shifted from overdrive to 2 gear. The truck started wheel hopping and barking the tires and was nearly uncontrollable! I was almost hit in the rear several times until I could limp it to the shoulder and if anyone knows the area I was almost in Charlotte NC. Traffic is terrible. Once I gathered myself, noticed the seatbelt light came on odometer showed 2 dotted lines with the wrench sign. Also tried to take off aging little power speedometer. Was not working and would not shift out of 2nd gear. I stopped and cut the truck off and waited about 5 minutes and seem to be okay.

The very next day going down the highway about 55mph and it did the same thing except this time the back wheels seem to have locked up and when it let loose I almost got hit trying to the shoulder. Once again did the exact things as the day before still no check engine light. I called the local dealer and was told nothing could be done until a check engine light came on. Once again after letting the truck set for a bit it seemed okay.

So for about 3 days it ran fine and I was to leave the next morning for out of town work and my truck is the only means of transportation. And just as I pulled from my house it started to act up and the check engine light came on. Just so happens I live near a parts store chain and the person put the code device on and the code came up with I believe it was p 0720 which was the output speed sensor switch located in the transmission... Dealer repaired at a cost of $987.00 that I paid that hurt my wallet. I called Ford customer service and the agent said that it has happened to other years with same code and the same fix and would open a case to see if there is a way to get Ford to pay, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. 1 associated product. Request research (services fees apply).

Motor noise on startup! Dealer, took apart inspected, said would not be cover under warranty due to oil sludge. Oil was always changed by their computer just like the owners manual tell you too. This is a big problem with Ford. They look in the oil filler cap and can tell you no!! ESP is crap. Ford knows turbo's make sludge "all turbo's" do... So 500 bucks later I get it back and now 2 blocks away from dealer engine light comes on so I take back and say that everything is hook up the motors just bad from the oil!! So I took for a second option. They found sensor unplugged. They had gotten it under the valve cover and the cam cut and shorted the wires. This cause the phaser to have wrong valve timing!! Blown head gasket and valves tapped top of piston. There was sludge but bearings were perfect so oil was working. The timing chains are weak that's why Ford has a TSB on them and Phasers! 1st ecoboost = S O L.

I just bought my son a used F-150 with fairly low miles for a pickup, 120,000. Within 3 weeks of purchase from a private seller, the rear spark plug blew. The mechanic "tried" fixing it with a sleeve and Loctite. Waited overnight to set, took out to test drive, and it blew again. The sleeve and Loctite did not hold. It blew within 2 blocks. Looking online after this experience, thousands of others are having to deal with this. Will there ever be a recall? Just bought this truck... out thousands for purchase and out $$$ for repairs that are not holding. Now my son has 2 inoperable vehicles. The one that originally died and the newer purchase to replace the one that died. Still has NO car to go to work. It would not be so bad if this was a permanent solution and not a reoccurring nightmare.

Would never buy another Ford again. First and last. More problems than I can even list. Not to mention it's a 2012 3 sets of brake pads, Ford forgot when it added a larger heavier engine to fix the braking system so the truck eats pads. I have had the transmission replaced. The automatic running boards work when they want to. The driver side window freezes up. Numerous trips to the dealer to replace parts -- of course with deductible out of pocket. I am as disgusted as a person can get. I'll never get half of what I paid for this POS in a trade in.

Purchased brand new Ford F150 for just under $50,000 and had nothing but problems with it. BOB BELL FORD made me fight for every problem to get it fixed, damaged my truck twice in the last two visits, repaired the ding they put in my door first time, but this last visit, chipped the edge of my door, got mad at me for asking that it be fixed, agreed to fix it, but when I wouldn't accept their appointment to fix it, because they didn't line up a vehicle for me to use for the day with my paid extended warranty which includes this service, they told me I was no longer welcome at the dealership. Nice, Huh... I had also left them a poor survey for their poor service weeks prior because of all the problems with this truck and the struggle to get them to honor their warranty and I have read from a number of other Ford Vehicle Buyers that left complaints with Ford, that they were treated the same way, told that they were no longer welcome at the dealership any longer.

I guess this is how Ford deals with its customers who don't leave favorable surveys for them when they don't deserve them. Remember this before you make the mistake of buying a new Ford Vehicle from Ford and especially from BOB BELL FORD on Ritchie Hwy in Glen Burnie, MD; I will not make the mistake of buying another new one from them until they stand behind their warranty. It was such a disappointment buying this truck from them, what a mistake, wish I could go back in time so I could make a smarter purchase.

Well I haven't driven my truck for 2 days and at about 5:30 in the morning I heard a boom and didn't think much of it until my neighbor comes knocking on my door and informs me that my truck had caught on fire. When I went outside it was in total flames around the engine and the cab. I was trying to use my water hose until the fire department got there but it was still a total loss. I have no idea about these recalls until I Googled it after the fire department left. Hopefully I can work something out about the situation.

Bought a brand new F-350. Just out of warranty at a year old and 66k miles - It needs a transmission, coil packs, and a power steering pump. I have to park it for months to come up with 5 grand to fix this terrible vehicle.

I live in Minnesota. I cannot use my driver's side door when the temperature dips below 20 degrees - which is almost 3-4 months of the year. I brought my $40,0000 truck in for service & the guy sprays wd-40 on the door. I came back the next day and told him that I needed help. They found out that there is a seal inside the door that has failed. No problem! It is under warranty. BUT - no problem - the parts are on backorder until April. Apparently a few other 2015 F-150 owners are having the same issue (just a guess). So, I can use my truck, but I just have to climb over to the passenger side to get in & out. The Ford service guy said that the doors aren't designed for cold weather! If I had known that I would never have purchased this brand new pickup last year. Very sorry and very disappointed.

Meanwhile I have called 3 times to find out if the service dept. has heard anything about when the repair can be completed. No one seems to know and I have not gotten one return call from the dealer (even though I was promised all 3 times that they would call me that day or the next). I feel like a prisoner in my vehicle and a captive by Ford's unwillingness to stand behind their product.

I pulled my 2016 Ford F-150 out of the garage and was inputting an address into the GPS when we heard my rear window blow up. I had thought we got shot or something came crashing down on the truck. I got out and saw nothing but my rear window was completely shattered. The only thing we think it could have been was the window shorted out. It's still at the dealer to replace the window and hopefully figure out the cause.

I bought this very expensive truck, 2014 STX F150 from Ford Cutter Aiea Hawaii. I had the truck for 2 years now and the miles still low, 37,500. So here I thought I would not see rust maybe for another 5 years. I was very wrong. Rusted spot are shown on the front roof corner, driver side. I have not call the deal about it but I will. I hope they can help me fix it. If they can't then, my love for Ford will go to another vehicle. Yeah... Build tough... NOT. I hope they can back up that motor with taking care of their customers. I remembered the car sales guy telling me that it was the best truck because it was made in America. Not so proud. Not the best.

Have this 1997 Ford F150 V8 with only 287,000 miles but the odometer stopped working years ago. My main issue with Ford is the heater core hoses quick release that leak and Ford dealers want to replace heater cores for $800.00 when it's a $7.00 part and those stupid vacuum sensors, and Speedo sensors, and cat sensors, and battery cable ends, and what is it with your "pink plastic gears" for tranny sensors? The cassette eats tapes when ditch hopping and radio has too many commercials. All this smog crap. I cannot even get over 100 mph down logging roads.

I have a broken shock mount on my truck. I cannot change the shock until this replaced or welded. I found someone to weld it, but the fix is just to put a washer in between. He said that he has done welding on other F-150 shock mounts. Anyone else having this problem? I am looking for a certified welder, so I can replace my shock. I replaced my other shock.

We bought our F150 brand new in 2006. It was garage kept and has low miles (currently 105,000). In the past 2 yrs it has became a huge headache and rust mobile. Once the rust starts it's over. Any owner of 2004 to 2008 models knows the rust problems, from the cab corners (mostly on the crew cabs) to the fenders on the rear. Since ours have ate out we have found what looks to be foam in them. Bad Ford company, anybody with a brain knows foam holds moisture and contaminants to eat away at the metal from the inside out. This is not to mention that we have put over $1,000 in repairs this year alone. Started with the faulty 2 piece spark plug that cost 600 to replace because 6 of the 8 broke in the engine.

The 4 wheel drive system going out because of some rubber tubing, and now most recently broken front springs on the struts. Come on Ford you have problems that need recalls. The springs were sheared right in half and we're sitting crooked. This is extremely dangerous and an issue that needs to be addressed. Ford has made some mistakes but refuses to take responsibility for them. We have been long time Ford owners (2 F150's, Cougar, Thunderbird, Escort, and a Ranger) this truck is the biggest mistake we have ever made. There will be no more Fords on our property once this one says goodbye.

I have had WAY too many issues with this Truck. It is a 2013 F-150 Platinum Truck. I bought it new... Since purchase I have had it in multiple times to dealers in both Kansas and Arkansas. Recently the Check Engine light comes on, the dealer "THINKS" it may be the Turbo Charger and now I get the dreaded Yellow Wrench. Ford has no way of capturing the codes unless is happens to them at the dealership. What a complete scam... Ford doesn't have to warranty anything because the codes never get saved. You cannot get the truck to them if the Wrench is showing, so you have to restart the Truck... Which clears the codes.

I've had to replace the instrument cluster, the sunroof... I even had to replace the lug nuts because the dealer couldn't rotate the tires since Ford uses Aluminum to cover the lug nuts and they were on so tight the lugs stripped out where the Aluminum was. Absolutely crazy. That cost me $200. Let's also talk about those POS automatic running boards... Which never go back up after 3 years. AND they cannot get those warrantied. I wish I had not put a brand new A.R.E. - Z Series Topper on it. Otherwise... This POS would be getting traded and I would go back to Toyota or Nissan. NEVER BUY an F-150 Eco-Boost POS Truck. Ford is a joke. I could keep going. But I think this is enough.

I had purchased a 2010 F150 Supercrew from my local dealership in 2014 with 18 thousand mile on it, I mainly needed it to tow my rv and boat in the summer months. I had it completely rustproofed right away and I have kept the undercarriage very clean from the little salt exposure that it got. I was under my truck recently and found the rocker panels totally rusted. I felt compelled to find the cause because I am only up to 28 thousand and it should never had rusted like this. Being an industrial mechanic I checked all the reasons that made sense, roof, window, and antenna leaks but when I found the rocker panels dripping every time it rains I found something completely unbelievable, the water draining from the front window and hood is channeled into the inside of the front fender body panels and drains into the rocker panels, my God a first year engineering student could figure out what a terrible idea this is.

I called my dealership to see if I have a recourse on this and it was a joke basically "New England is salty. You are on your own." This truck was the worst purchase I have ever made. It will be rusted out before the payments are over, in ten thousand miles it had needed new A-arms, brakes, and the limited slip axle is on its way out. The quality is on the way down and they do not back poor engineering problems like this. I wish I purchased a GMC. It looks like the quality has improved greatly. I have seen a multitude of consumers with this same rust issue and Ford acts like they have never heard of it.

It seems that the passenger side exhaust manifold on just about all 4.6 and 5.4 engines must leak at some time! I found 2 of the bolts on the rear that have broken off just inside the exhaust manifold. Checked the Ford forum. Seems everyone has this happen to them. Broken bolts either before or during replacement of the cracked manifold issue. Why couldn't they use better components. The rest of the exhaust bolts are rusted so bad they barely resemble bolts and nuts. Just a shame that planned obsolescence can be found in some many American made products.

Bought a new 2016 F150 2 weeks ago. A week after taking it home the stereo and all associated controls randomly quit working. Screen goes blank. No sound. If I turn off my truck and wait 30 minutes or so it will work again as it should. Took it to the dealership and they have no idea what the problem is. I call Ford and they said take it to the dealership. I'm afraid this truck will become a lemon. Too bad because I really liked my truck. Maybe I would keep it if Ford either pays for an aftermarket head unit and control module. This is the second Ford I've owned that within 500 miles had problems. I'm not very happy.

Ford F-150 Company Profile