2.58/5
Based on 44 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 23, 2018

262 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

Lifelong Ford Owner - not happy - Just bought a Ford F-150, V8 Gas motor, Lariat, with 10-speed transmission. The transmission shifting is unsteady and causes the truck to lurch continuously. Also, the engine backfires from time to time. It has been in the shop at the dealer for nearly a week, but they can't find the problem. Technicians have driven it and confirm that my complaint is valid. They don't see anything on their computers, so they don't know what to fix. I foresee a Lemon Law complaint on the not-too-distant horizon. I traded a 2014 F-150 FX4 Lariat for this one. Now I wish I had my old truck back.

Original review: May 20, 2018

The 2017 F150 is by far the worst vehicle I’ve ever owned. The truck has a terrible vibration at 45 mph, I’ve had it in the shop 6 times now and all the mechanic can say is it’s normal. Unless the check engine light comes on they won’t work on it because they don’t get paid to troubleshoot anymore.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I love my Ford F-150 4x4 with eco boost. The F150 seems to be quickly becoming America’s family “car” and with good reason. It rides like a luxury Car, handles well, and provides all the functionality you need to haul things, transport people and pets and gets great gas mileage. There is reason there are more Fords trucks on the road today than any other vehicle. They are built Ford tough and a Ford truck owner can expect to get so much more mileage out of one than other vehicles. I plan to drive mine for the next 20 years.

Original review: May 8, 2018

My Ford F-150 Sport, XLT 4x4 is my 5th F-150. Only 1 had to go in for a window regulator. Each time I get a new one it's better than the last. I do have to say the prices on all vehicles are ridiculously too high. Personally I lease so my payment isn't the same or close to my mortgage payment.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I wish there was less chrome. I'm not really a fan of it and would rather the low gloss black look. I do however adore the not quite green, not quite blue paint!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

Original review: May 6, 2018

You cannot beat the durability of a Ford. Tough and ready. With proper maintenance this vehicle will last a lifetime. The hauling capability is Amazing!

Original review: May 5, 2018

My Ford F-150 Limited's performance and looks are great. Fuel mileage is good as long as you don't push it, really good between 50 and 60 mph. No mechanical issues so far, only a broken bracket on the rear mount of the right running board and that occurred prior to me purchasing the truck used.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My Ford F-150 initially was a dynamite vehicle. My 3rd Ford truck. However there was a carbon monoxide leak and I didn't realize it until my 4th blackout driving that truck and it was totaled in an accident.

Original review: May 3, 2018

The Ford F-150 Triton has four doors and is dependable, comfortable and handles well. It is a little thirstier than I would like but that is the only problem I can find.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Ford F-150 2009 5.4 engine has $1500-$3000 cam phaser repair issue. NO RECALL and Ford knows about it. Mine happened at only 54,000 miles on the engine. Also transmission leak and other cam phaser oil related issues at 54,000 miles.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The Ford F-150 has lousy gas mileage. Sticker said 19 mpg. I never got better than 11-12. No help from Ford, I bought extended warranty and the gas cap broke right away. That wasn’t covered even though they broke on many trucks. Ford sucks.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I was involved in a car accident and I crashed into a pole going 35 miles an hour and the front axle rim tire and the center of the Ford F-150 2015 Limited was smashed in. No airbags deployed and the Seat belt didn’t hold me down. I fractured my arm in three different places, transported by paramedics from the scene to the hospital and ended up at UCLA medical, hospitalized for three days, and went through surgery. Two metal rods and 12 screws. Was in a cast for three months all because of Ford's safety features that didn’t provide **. By the way the truck was a total loss. It was only 30 days old on the road.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My Ford F-150 truck has been great with 20,000 mi. Love the suicide doors- can easily get things in back seat. 2.7 engine really flies and mileage ok (19) overall. Wish it didn't sit so high, hard to get in without running boards, lift heavy items into back of truck. (Old truck about 4 in. lower).

Original review: April 26, 2018

We bought the 09 Ford F-150. Within 12 month the transmission went out. Here we are 16 months later we have to have the transmission done again. From my research this is a common problem that Ford is aware of. 2,400 that I don't know where it can come from. Now the truck sits until I can afford to fix it but it still insured and I'm paying the note every month. Beautiful truck with ugly parts. We are scared to drive it. It's become unpredictable and dangerous. This truck was bought to replace my husband truck that was lost in a rollover fire where 97% of his body was burn. He's so disappointed.

Original review: April 25, 2018

The Ford F-150 is beautiful, outstanding power with great gas mileage, and there are so many bells and whistles that I've had problems with them. I am leasing. Overall a fair to good truck.

Original review: April 24, 2018

This model truck is a true work horse. This is our 3rd F-150. The 1st had 300,000 miles upon trade in and the 2nd shy of 200,000. This 1 will not make that mileage, but it has served us very well since 2014. We highly recommend this model. My husband would keep buying this model if we did not now have different needs.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have a 2016 Ford F150 Limited with 23,000 miles on it. I have had repeated electrical problems with it. Apparently the gateway module gets shorted out and causes the running boards to stop working, the HVAC to stop, the power windows to stop, the air bag lights to come on and tire pressure sensors to freak out. Those are the items that I know don't work.

This has happened 7 times. The first time it happened was at 8000 miles and now it has happened 4 times in the last 4 months. At first the dealers kept telling me it was a problem with the plug on the Gateway Module, but all they were doing was resetting it and sending me on my way. Telling me I was lucky they didn't charge me because plugging in the module is not covered by warranty.

Finally the 3rd dealer replaced the Gateway Module and 3 weeks later the electronics go out again. This time I opened a 4th ticket with Ford Dispute Resolution and they sent out an Engineer from Deerborn, MI. The engineer worked on it for 2 days and replaced the Gateway module again. 2 weeks later the electrical went out again. I finally started the Lemon Law proceeding with the State of Texas and now Ford is treating me like a criminal and have not contacted me in 2 weeks. My truck has been sitting at the dealer broken. I just want them to trade me into a new one or buy it back. Ford refused to do so and said we have to wait for Lemon Law hearing, as if they are going to fight it.

Original review: April 10, 2018

KT 31 Motorcraft... Ford parts are trash. Caused 400 dollars damage to alternator destroyed from. $125... KT 31 part leaking... Plus installation for all the damage. Done with Ford, over the end... Toyota.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Ford F-150 throttle body failure at 46000 miles is not an exception at this mileage and I see Ford has had many problems with this part and has covered this part on other models for replacement and extended warranty. However Ford doesn’t want to acknowledge the problem on the F150 and rather charge 500 dollars to its F150 customers. This problem is so similar the tow truck driver told me the problem on pick up.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Ford F-150 2012 Ecoboost - This must be the worst truck I have ever driven, everything was relatively ok until I had about 70,000 km. Where do I start. There was the violent shake in low gear. It felt like being rear-ended at 60 km /hour. My heart skipped a beat everytime it happened. Then the truck would stall and PCM would shut off, I wait and start again, went to the dealer where I bought it from. They tried to reprogram thé PCM module but ended it up replacing it with a new one under warranty.

3 months later same problem again, if I hit a pothole or rough road the computer goes berserk and if I drive in low gear in the underground parking the truck completely shuts down and I have no control of the truck, talking about Ford though. Yeah right. Then there is the fuel consumption. My city mileage was indicating 25 Liters on average and I was consuming 30% more fuel than before combined, indicating misfire in the engine. This truck was driving me nuts at 82000 km. I took a wise decision not to sink any more money into this, and traded it in for a Volvo XC90. I will never ever purchase another Ford again.

Original review: March 14, 2018

2011 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost at 40000 the rear axle went. Imlay City Ford repaired it under warranty. I didn't make it out of their lot and the check engine light came on. Took it back 2 weeks before warranty was up and it scanned a timing issue. Went back on last day of warranty and they had it 2 days and gave it back and said they found nothing wrong. At 54000 the timing chain went and bent valves. I had it towed to Imlay City Ford and they said $10,000 for a new engine.

I complained to Ford and the dealer said Ford kicked in and it would be 5,640. The shop in my town quoted me 5,800. I have complained 4 times to Ford that I can't put 5,640 into a truck that has 54k on it. They don't customer care!!! Dealer tried to sell me a new one. Funny funny. Most of the bells and whistles on it only work when they want to. Drivetrain noises still happening that have to be dealt with after new engine. So when you buy a new Ford be sure to start saving money for when the warranty is up you have 5 or 10k for such repairs.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I bought a new 2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost from Camelback Ford in Phoenix Arizona. I took it back less than a week owning it. It was idling rough but my salesman said it was normal. A week and a half after this the truck started running bad on the freeway and I had it towed to the dealership. They found that it melted a spark plug, a couple valves and lost compression in a cylinder. It had 1400 miles. I spoke with the dealer and Ford Motors to get out of the truck or to get a new truck and my final answer today from Ford was "you bought it"!!!

They fixed the truck and since I got it back less than a week ago it has stalled on me twice. The dealership said that since no engine codes were seen they are unable to give me a rental and to just drive the truck. I spoke with Ford and they are not willing to look any further into the truck until it actually breaks. I really think that I'm dealing with a safety issue and hope that if this happens again it doesn't cause an accident. I am very displeased with Ford and the dealership. They are so fast to take your money yet don't care about you as a customer when it comes to supposed Ford reliability. I was sooo excited to buy this truck. I will never give Ford my business again!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I've been a loyal Ford owner all my life, until now. I have an F150 with 25,000 miles. I had an oil leak to be repaired, I had an appointment on 01/10/2018, I didn't get the pickup back until 01/17, during which time I was responsible for a rental car. Is this acceptable? I think not! Then, I was on my way to a class in San Antonio on 01/25 about 07:45 on I10 (rush hour traffic), when the steering system warning flashed on the dash I herded the pickup off the interstate, the school was right at the exit so I stopped there. I called the dealership where I'd gotten the oil leak repaired, they gave me the numbers for a tow and Enterprise for a rental.

At noon I got in the truck and it worked fine, so at 4:30 I got in and headed home. About three quarters of the way home the warning flashed again. At 4:50 I called for a rental and a tow truck, I was assured that both were on their way. At 8:30 the tow truck finally showed up (Enterprise never did come, even though, through their admission have a contract with Ford). I rode with the tow truck driver to the dealer to see if I could rent or have the loan of a vehicle until the next day. I was treated as if was a vagrant not worth their time. The steering was repaired, but how far can I trust the vehicle? More importantly would this kind of treatment be alright if it was the CEO's father?? Probably not huh. Step up to the plate Ford!! Is this how you treat customers? Toyota is looking better all the time.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

While driving this past Tuesday, I smelled and saw smoke coming from my vents. The dash lights all lit up. I pulled over to look under the hood but when I went for the latch, I saw flames. I stepped back and fire engulfed the front of the vehicle, then burned to the ground. This is a 2016 still under factory warranty. When I called Ford to report what happened, they had nothing to contribute as to why this happened. This vehicle was well cared for, oil changes every 3,000 - maintained. I'm looking for answers - why this happened and what, if anything, Ford will do. Yes, my insurance will pay my loan off, but at the end of the day, I pay higher premiums. Ford should be held accountable.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I have over 36,000 miles with a XLT with the 2.7 EcoBoost. This truck has been flawless!!! Love everything about the truck. I think I'll get the 3.0 power stroke next go around. I love that they switched to aluminum. Thank you Ford for building such a good truck! It's a 2016.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I’ve had Fords for as long as I can remember. Never had any problems with any of them. I put 300k miles on 1997 Taurus. I bought a leftover 2015 F-150 with the 5.0 and 4wd. Talk about junk! The doors drive me insane. It’s a Supercab and if I knew how much money I would have been spending every time they are out of alignment I would have bought a Supercrew. Brake lines needed to be replaced in the rear at 38k miles. Same mileage front caliper had to be replaced. Now I’m having a front end noise at 67k miles. Going to the shop tomorrow. My mom backed into me with her CRV and did no damage to her car but $1139 worth of damage to the F-150. I absolutely hate this truck. The seats are so uncomfortable. The windows are super slow going down and up. SYNC sucks, plain and simple. As soon as Toyota offers 0% financing this truck will be gone. I will never buy another Ford.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have owned 6 Ford F-150 trucks. The trucks are well built with dependability and appearance in mind when designing. Excellent service at Pompano Ford Quick Lube. Very professional and honest accurate quotes.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Right at a year ago my wife and I purchased a 2010 Ford F150 XLT from Vic Bailey Ford in Spartanburg SC at a cost of $23,000. Less than a month later the rear end and transmission had to be rebuilt at a cost of $5100. Two months later the rear end went out again more money. Four months later rear end out a 3rd time. Now the transmission is going out again. Repairs costing so much I can't afford to pay the $480 a month payment. It's sad. I have been a Ford tough customer all my life but will never buy another and will tell everyone I talk to in daily life not to ever get one. Ford needs to step up and do something about this situation.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

A single clunk occurs after slowing down and then accelerating. This happens all the time at intersections where you come to almost a complete stop then press the gas pedal to accelerate. Just as you let off the brake and tap the gas pedal, a single clunk sound is felt and heard. I have had the Ford F-150 to the Ford garage several times and they dismiss it as a normal characteristic of the Ford transmission. I have driven trucks all my life, including Fords, and have never felt this kind of slack in the drive-train, and then to have it called normal.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I also have a 2014 F150 4 x 4 XLT. 40,000 miles. My booster pump failed coming down the mountains with my family. Scary crap. There was a noise coming from the brake pedal that I had brought in the day before I went camping too. Ford found nothing. Then I had issues with coverage for my warranty when one Ford dealership didn’t replace a pin during the repair that required me to bring it to a local Ford dealership a couple days later because of a message on my dash. They squabbled over who was going to pick up the $600 bill. I surely didn’t, but they want me to. I became the mediator of the two dealerships. How ridiculous is that? They called this customer service?

Ford F-150 Company Information