Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
2.19/5
Based on 104 reviews that contain star ratings

Dodge Caravan

The Dodge Caravan is a minivan that was first introduced in 1984. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

132 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 28, 2018

The Dodge Grand Caravan has been an amazing vehicle for myself and my children, especially on long trips and in the school pick up line. I love the power doors that make it very easy to get everyone in and out. I also love the drop in floor seats, the abundance of room and the power windows, especially in the very back. But I wish there was more leg room for the passengers in the 3rd row, and that it were more easily accessible from the middle. I also wish the car had memory settings for the driver seat, storage for more than one pair of sunglasses, a flat spot for a cell phone mounting, had heated seats standard, the passenger seat was power and that the dual climate control was more consistent. But overall, it's a great van for a family.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The Dodge Grand Caravan Sport has good gas mileage, especially on the highway. However, it does have some issues with power steering in vehicles manufactured in the year of this vehicle. But it is an affordable family car. Cheaper to repair and maintain since it's an American made vehicle. Good safety features and great for busy families who are on the go and need storage.

Great sized vehicle for a large growing family that is able to seat 3 or more car seats/booster seats. Door and trunk opens with push of a button, automatic chairs and windows, driver side and passenger heating and air conditioning along with back having their own controls, grocery hooks in trunk area, captain chairs make back more easily accessible and are more comfortable for older kids especially for long car rides, third row seating can be removed for more storage. Wish middle and back windows could roll down, unable to anchor more then one car seat in third row seating, wish there was a little more trunk space without having to give up the third row, wish that the third row could more easily fit 3 car seats across it, and that the car seats felt more secure when properly installed

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2018

It is a Caravan... Is a great van for taking the whole family places, school, park, and doing errands. Daughter and granddaughter using van to go to school and to go to work. We wanted a van and this one had low mileage at the time of purchase and has run good for us. We have not had any major problems with it. Like that the whole family has enough room and sitting space plus the very good for storage and rack on top for storage, too. If I had the money and another one came available I would purchase it.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Dodge Grand Caravan is convenient and an incredibly useful vehicle. Everyone in my family loves it! Even when driving alone, I love the versatility & options it provides. It has all of the space and convenience of other minivans, but without the big pricetag that comes with other car brands. It is at least half the price of other minivans on the market today. While it is a satisfactory vehicle in most aspects, the transmission is a great deal more likely to have issues. Shifting between gears is not always smooth, and the RPM's frequently go higher than normal when accelerating.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I love the roominess of the Dodge Grand Caravan. You sit up a little bit higher and can see well. The van gets great gas mileage. Being able to take out the back bench seat and the two middle bucket seats makes for a lot of room to move. Also, there is a lot of room in the back of the van even with the rear seat in place. Additionally, I liked the compass and temperature feature in the front roof console. I liked the dual temperature controls too. I've owned my van for 15 years and have taken care of it. However there is a lot of rust on the lower body of my van, which I see on every van type that I have.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Caravan?

Original review: June 17, 2018

Dodge Caravan is very spacious, reliable, and family friendly vehicle! I love that it has stop and go seating, heated windows and mirrors, and enough room to hold 7 passengers adequately with extra room. It is very fun to drive and has a lot more power than I expected. It has the same motor as the Challenger and Charger. It has the 3.6 and definitely has power to be a van. We bought just the basic model which is the AVP package and while we are very satisfied with it, I wish they could find a way to get better gas mileage. I only get 15.1 in town which is a small town with lots of stop and go and only get 17 miles per gallon highway which I feel they should get at least 20 if not a little more. Other than that I love everything about this vehicle and it is very sporty looking too.

Original review: June 16, 2018

It's a decent vehicle. My favorite features would have to be the automatic doors due to having kids or babies or even groceries in my hands. Also the mirror to check on little one in the back seat. But been having a lot of self opening doors lately. If they fix the doors where they don't open by themselves would be a huge plus. It's my main issue and drives me bonkers. The key fob has been stuck in the ignition and the only way to remove was to disconnect the battery. Bummer. Also the key fob key should open doors and not just the glove box.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Dodge Caravan is very roomy. You can get more people in it and set comfortable. Lots of leg room and the space is great. Stores a lot more stuff. Drives so good and not sitting low. Easy riding. Love the CD radio and cruise control. Lots of drink holders. Big trunk. Motors are good on gas. It is also easy to start. I love it but making it more sporty would be an improvement. Also easier access to the backseat and a sunroof would be good. In addition, put air conditioner in the back and let the leather seats recline. Put TVs in it and more ashtrays in them too.

Original review: June 14, 2018

This van has built-in DVD players for the kids. It also has the touch screen radio in it. It also has heated seats. The seats are stow and go also. But I dislike that the steering wheel has no buttons to operate anything. I also dislike that it doesn't have an automatic starter or heated mirrors. It could also use a better stereo. Still, the Dodge Caravan has worked great for us as a family. It seats 7 people and has plenty of storage in the trunk. It would be great to take on a road trip with the family.

Original review: June 13, 2018

The dodge caravan is a good van. It is roomy and spacious so you can drive your family and haul loads for groceries, scrap or moving. The back door opens with a switch and that is very useful for unloading and for going to the south end drive in movie theatre. I like the radio, transmission, wipers, good gas mileage, good on oil, affordable price, tires are new, lots of room, seats can be taken out for even more room. Ours is older and we need a newer one. Need a new transmission of course and the driver side mirror fell off and so DID the rearview mirror. Back up lights or brighter headlights would be grateful.

Original review: June 12, 2018

It's roomy, comfortable and nice. My whole family fits in the car. Easy to operate and easy for everyone to get into and out of and nice to sit in. Easy to move around in the car. I really love my car and no effort system.

Original review: June 9, 2018

This Dodge Grand Caravan was previously adapted for use by a handicapped driver. We purchased the car used. The car itself has had consistent problems with a number of issues that mechanics have not been able to resolve. These include an abs light that goes on and off. And intermittent exhaust smell. We chose this car because it is extremely roomy with a high ceiling, easily accommodating my wheelchair and my walker. We also like the visibility while driving the car. Although it is a solid car, I would like the car to have more handles by the doors. I find it difficult to maneuver while inside the car and difficult to enter and exit the car because there are no handles. I would also like to have an option of monitoring my trip mileage.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We are pleased with the purchase. It is what we were looking for mostly. We like the heated mirrors, the outside temperature gauge and the storage cargo bins under the floor for at least 5 people. We also like the visibility as the headrests can be lowered when not in use and driver can see out the windows without having those headrests in the way. But, it has light colored cloth seats that are just terrible to keep clean and hard to get in and out of vehicle. We are big leather seat fans because they are easy to clean and get in and out of vehicle. This is a used 2016 vehicle so we had no choice. But this is a real issue with us and the only main item we do not like about our 2016 Grand Caravan. One other item that we dislike is the fact that the passenger has to manually move seat back. All our other vehicles that were in this price range and quality can be done with the touch of a button.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My only dislike about the 2006 Dodge Caravan is that its paint job is not holding up long enough and I can't seem to be able to scrape up enough dough to have it repainted. That's the only reason for the two 4s on the survey.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2016 Dodge Caravan - I am handicapped and they stopped putting electric doors on the Dodge vans. If you want that you have to buy a Chrysler Pacifica which this vet cannot afford.

Original review: April 28, 2018

This van has been very good for us. We bought it on mother's day in 2010, and have had very little work that needed being done on it. The only thing I under-appreciated are the tinted window and that they are electric. I prefer non-tinted and manual ups and downs.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Great Reliability, maneuverability, and acceleration. This is a 2008 Dodge Caravan w/ 59 Miles and it has relatively Repair Free w/ periodic maintenance & oil change & tire Rotation & replacement @ 50M.

Original review: April 26, 2018

The only reason I drive this Dodge Grand Caravan it is the only ones that have the Stow & Go seats Which work well for my business. Sometimes I need to bring an object to my shop for repairs and this object is too cumbersome to load in a normal car. A couple other makes fold their seats flat, but not in the floor, so this takes up more room and less for the cargo. My main complaint is the 6 speed transmission is ill fitted to the engine. Just miserable to drive. Upshifts too soon lugs the engine, not smooth at all. Had it to 3 different Dodge dealers in PA & Florida. They all say nothing wrong, this is the nature of the beast.

Original review: April 25, 2018

The Dodge Grand Caravan has Stow 'n Go. Perfect for pets, gardening, & grandkids. Being able to arrange the seats in multiple configurations is what makes the van most versatile.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The new Dodge Grand Caravan has had issues since almost day one and we are stuck with it. Poor fuel economy and poor overall quality. Know a few other people that purchased one and they are saying the same thing. Nice styling and options, but the years prior to 2016-2017 were way better constructed and held together better. A consumer is better off spending a little bit more and getting a better quality van.

Original review: April 18, 2018

2016 Dodge Caravan, wasn't sure if I wanted a van, but it handled so good in snow and ice, as good as my Ford Explorer. Flex fuel sold me, I did mileage experiment. I get 16.4 mpg around town with both flex fuel and premium fuel, so I'm very happy. But seats are difficult to put up and down. Also, there is a rattle coming from engine when first started in cold weather, and it is always in garage.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Problems with battery post connections causing dashboard to light up. Great handling and being able to sit comfortable and see the road. Feels like driving a car and ease of parking. Few mechanical problems noticed over 10 years.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Purchase a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan on March 9, 2018 and have experience nothing but problems since. I have had to take it to repair shops and it still doesn't work properly. The van was driven from Cleveland to the Columbus, Ohio dealership on Morse Rd. When Hope (Drive time representative) took a test drive it didn't feel right, I figured that I just needed to get used to it (it only got worse). I took it to Midas and they found that 2 of the tires were almost bald, shocks and struts were bad. Got those issues resolved and the engine light comes on again, bad oxygen sensors. A new one was installed, but after driving down the street to my house the check engine light was back on.

Took it back to have another diagnostic performed and was told that all the sensors were coming up bad even the new one and recommended that I take it to a shop that handles electrical work preferably a dealership. Called Silver Rock and they referred me to Mr. Tire who informed me that they didn't do that type of work. So I had to call 5 or 7 other in-network shops. So, I took it to PepBoys where a diagnostic was performed and they supposedly found that the upstream 02 sensor was bad. They fixed the problem so I thought, however as soon as I turned onto the street I live on the engine light was back. This is the worst vehicle I ever purchased and I hate, hate, hate it. It is two seeds short of a lemon. The person who drove it down from Cleveland didn't have the common courtesy to say something was wrong with the vehicle, worst experience ever. I was played for a fool but God don't like ugly!!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I bought this 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan sport last year from a neighbor who was moving, and it was in beautiful condition. It had only a hundred and ten thousand miles on it and the owner I thought took care of it which for the most part he did. Shortly after I bought it the main drive belt idler pulley started squeaking. So you need to replace the belt every 80 or 90 or hundred thousand miles so I replaced all of The Idler pulleys that I could and the belt then the alternator went out. The radiator sprung leaks. The battery went bad. The starter went out. Then I started getting a check engine light and every time I replaced what it told me to it would do something different then one morning it just wouldn't start out of the blue. Nothing.

So I had it taken to an electrical specialist who charged me $1,800 to replace one wire which I am fully capable of but it was raining and I didn't want to stand out in the rain and fix it so I paid somebody else to do it. In the receipt they said they had inspected and check the wiring harness which I found out later they didn't because the $1,800 fix lasted 2 days and of course there was no warranty on it. So since it was a sunny day the day it went out two days later I went out and within 5 minutes found them problem that have been causing all the check engine lights. The wiring harness clips get hard and brittle because they're close to heat and then the wiring harness slowly but surely starts bending down towards the exhaust manifold.

My wiring harness was completely melted together but it did so in such a fashion that it triggered off different and various check engine lights to replace the sensor or that sensor all the sensors and what happened was it finally took out the computer but I did not find that out until after I rebuilt the wiring harness. I should go back a second because I did replace the computer and that was just before I discovered the wiring harness. The wiring harness melted a little bit more and took out the brand new computer. Luckily that was under warranty. They didn't care I told him. It wasn't their fault. They said no problem and gave me a new one so once I read it every wire for wire the whole bundle wrapped it up in heat fiberglass tape. Wrap that up in aluminum heat tape and repositions the wiring harness so it'll never get close to the exhaust manifold again. Now everything is running all right except now the transmission is starting to act up.

I hate this van. I love that it'll hold off complete sheet of plywood but I hate it. I hate it with a passion. I've sunk so much money into this damn thing that I've got to keep it so now I have to do something about the transmission that is crazy. Oh yeah the switch for the back hatch went out too. It had cancer on top of the roof where the racks are so I've taken care of that and carefully filled it and painted it to exact color. I ask myself, "Oh my God what else can go wrong." Well everything can go wrong so be careful. I've looked up reviews on it and it is just not that good. It's a good thing I can work on cars or this would have cost me a small fortune. It already has cost me a small fortune.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Bought this 2014 Dodge Caravan to accommodate children, camping gear, etc. Van is spacious, however, body panels are very cheap - doors bend under the slightest of pressure. Hood of van is rusting - took it to 2 shops to inquire about bodywork - both said no point in fixing it, it's due to the hood having a seam that is not properly sealed at the factory, moisture gets inside of it and it rusts from the inside out. I was told the only way to fix it is to throw the hood away and keep replacing it with new ones, that this happens all the time with Caravans. Also, the 2 sliding doors are almost always frozen shut whenever it gets cold, forcing my kids to have to climb over to the front seat to get out of the car and/or I have to open the back hatch to let them in and out.

Also, this van is useless for going up steep hills in winter - has absolutely no traction. I even bought studded tires, which help, but there are still times where it cannot get up the hills. Have also had engine light going off, something to do with emissions code - this has finally gone away, but it was on for a few months. Cheaply made van, I can see many repair jobs in my future, and god forbid it's ever in an accident, as I'm sure it would be totalled with the cheap design.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Flex Plate Cracked inside Transmission Casing just over 100K Km. I called Chrysler Canada for assistance and one of the client representative suggested I call dealership and requested for dealership goodwill and in case they refuse call them back. I called the closest dealership and they denied right away. As instructed by Chrysler Canada I called back with my case number, they right away said since I am the second owner and it's crossed the 100000 Km mark it's out of warranty and they cannot help me in any way. I would have been happy if they at least said like, "Ok we would take the expense of the part which is what roughly 200$."

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan began misfiring within a year of brand new purchase. Contacted dealership and brought car in for misfire. They "claimed" they fixed the problem. Driving home the same problems. Called and they said it's normal for my car to drive like that because they "fixed" it. The car continued to misfire and I continued to call the dealership. I finally talked them into letting me bring it back in and they said there was no code so no problem even though my car was sputtering every time I accelerated (same reason I brought it in the first time when they said they fixed it). They sent me on my way and the car continued to misfire. I called and complained at least once a month and they said there was nothing they could do about it. Once again I finally said enough is enough and I brought it back in and demanded it be fixed. They told me it wasn't the same problem but I insisted they fix it.

They claimed they fixed it but still something was wrong. My engine light went on within a couple of days. They refused to service my car after claiming it was no longer covered under warranty. Here I am 3 years later with the same code coming up as a bad catalytic converter. I had. A mechanic check it out and he said it was due to the misfire that happened when I bought the car. Now I have to fight to have my car fixed. It is not due to negligent driving. It is due to poor quality of product. This car is a lemon and I should have done something years ago when they refused to fix my car properly.

Chrysler needs to make more quality. They need to own up on poor quality they are selling. It is your product not mine. Why am I paying for something I didn't do. I want answers. Not to mention my radio randomly stopped working 2 years ago. My driver side window goes up after 20 tries. My battery has already been replaced too. Ridiculousness. This car is a lemon and has been since the first misfire in 2013.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

This vehicle is a lemon and needs to be recalled entirely. I purchased a used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE in 2013 because huge price difference although with 46,000 km on it. Sales says... Kilometers don't mean what they did a few years ago. Cars are much better engineered and designed to last a good lifetime. This sales guy also sold me the vehicle with an active recall on it and did not advise Dodge there was a new owner so I was not made aware at any point.

Well... 100,000 km later my van starts stuttering and I am directed to a Dodge dealership to update the TCP module as per recall. They say it's done and the stuttering was caused by spark plugs that need replacing. For 600.00 I do this. I also ask... What kind of damage would there be driving this long with a faulty computer advising the trans.? A little more wear but it's fine and it will run smoother now. Took it home stuttering sporadically. Call back - was advised, "Ya pay for diagnostics and we will see what's up." "Excuse me? 600.00 and you don't know??"

Fwd - May 2016. 5 months later and now at 160,000 km. Trans needs a rebuild. Dodge... says, "Ya out of warranty. Nothing we can do." Dealership I bought it from... "Ya we don't deal with Dodge since we aren't a Dodge dealership." So I pay for the fix... Aug 2016 the TICP fails and needs to be replaced. All spark plugs too as they apparently had NEVER been changed for the life of the vehicle. I get the work done. Dodge has once again DODGED their ** vehicle.

FWD - May 2017. Happy to be able to afford a full over maintenance check of the vehicle and install a new windshield etc. Spark plugs replaced and everything detailed too! So I could love it again. September 2017. Check engine light and very noticeable misfire happening. Sluggish and slow to go. Take it in and the 1st cylinder valve and head need to be replaced. Light! someone says they've extended the warranty on some. Call Dodge yup. Call mechanic yup. Move the vehicle to the Dodge dealership for work and... Not covered. Call Dodge, not covered. WTF!

2nd cylinder covered for premature wear. Um... My 1st cylinder is out for premature wear! I know I have 190,000 kms on this vehicle. But a vehicle should last well beyond that for the tens of thousands of dollars we pay for them. I needed and still need a reliable vehicle for my family. Now I'm in an upside down loan with it and I dread driving it again after this 2400.00 fix.

In addition to the big problems... The brakes wear crazy fast. 2 front changes a year and one rear change a year. Bit excessive in my opinion. I hate this thing - I hate Dodge and their lack of interest to help anyone who purchases their vehicles. Because they got our money they are working on the next guy. Biggest warning... DO NOT BUY DODGE! Horrible products. Liars, cheats and I'm surprised I have not been in a horrible accident with my children in this thing yet. I'm sure that not far off though.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Since my purchase in 2011 my Grand Caravan has performed as advertised. The present mpg exceeds the manufacturers stated when I purchased. Oil changes are offered periodically at low cost.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I own a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has 55,000 miles on it. Recently it was hesitating to start when turning the ignition. I brought it to a local mechanic who within a few hours told me that it was the ignition module and that Dodge has had a number of recalls with this issue and I should bring it to the dealer. I did bring it to dealer and did have to replace the ignition module. The repair cost me $1,075. They said that my year was not part of the recall. This is not a part that should ever wear out on a car. Mine wore out after only 55,000 miles. After contacting Dodge directly, they said they could not help me in any way.

Dodge Caravan Company Information