Dodge Caravan

Dodge Caravan Reviews

About Dodge Caravan

The Dodge Caravan is a minivan that was first introduced in 1984. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Dodge Caravan Reviews

Stars Rating

• 19%
  • 38%
  • 6%
  • 0%
  • 38%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Caravan?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Caravan?

Reviewed April 18, 2018

2016 Dodge Caravan, wasn't sure if I wanted a van, but it handled so good in snow and ice, as good as my Ford Explorer. Flex fuel sold me, I did mileage experiment. I get 16.4 mpg around town with both flex fuel and premium fuel, so I'm very happy. But seats are difficult to put up and down. Also, there is a rattle coming from engine when first started in cold weather, and it is always in garage.

Reviewed April 17, 2018

Problems with battery post connections causing dashboard to light up. Great handling and being able to sit comfortable and see the road. Feels like driving a car and ease of parking. Few mechanical problems noticed over 10 years.

Reviewed April 12, 2018

Purchase a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan on March 9, 2018 and have experience nothing but problems since. I have had to take it to repair shops and it still doesn't work properly. The van was driven from Cleveland to the Columbus, Ohio dealership on Morse Rd. When Hope (Drive time representative) took a test drive it didn't feel right, I figured that I just needed to get used to it (it only got worse). I took it to Midas and they found that 2 of the tires were almost bald, shocks and struts were bad. Got those issues resolved and the engine light comes on again, bad oxygen sensors. A new one was installed, but after driving down the street to my house the check engine light was back on.

Took it back to have another diagnostic performed and was told that all the sensors were coming up bad even the new one and recommended that I take it to a shop that handles electrical work preferably a dealership. Called Silver Rock and they referred me to Mr. Tire who informed me that they didn't do that type of work. So I had to call 5 or 7 other in-network shops. So, I took it to PepBoys where a diagnostic was performed and they supposedly found that the upstream 02 sensor was bad. They fixed the problem so I thought, however as soon as I turned onto the street I live on the engine light was back. This is the worst vehicle I ever purchased and I hate, hate, hate it. It is two seeds short of a lemon. The person who drove it down from Cleveland didn't have the common courtesy to say something was wrong with the vehicle, worst experience ever. I was played for a fool but God don't like ugly!!!

PriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 28, 2018

I bought this 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan sport last year from a neighbor who was moving, and it was in beautiful condition. It had only a hundred and ten thousand miles on it and the owner I thought took care of it which for the most part he did. Shortly after I bought it the main drive belt idler pulley started squeaking. So you need to replace the belt every 80 or 90 or hundred thousand miles so I replaced all of The Idler pulleys that I could and the belt then the alternator went out. The radiator sprung leaks. The battery went bad. The starter went out. Then I started getting a check engine light and every time I replaced what it told me to it would do something different then one morning it just wouldn't start out of the blue. Nothing.

So I had it taken to an electrical specialist who charged me $1,800 to replace one wire which I am fully capable of but it was raining and I didn't want to stand out in the rain and fix it so I paid somebody else to do it. In the receipt they said they had inspected and check the wiring harness which I found out later they didn't because the $1,800 fix lasted 2 days and of course there was no warranty on it. So since it was a sunny day the day it went out two days later I went out and within 5 minutes found them problem that have been causing all the check engine lights. The wiring harness clips get hard and brittle because they're close to heat and then the wiring harness slowly but surely starts bending down towards the exhaust manifold.

My wiring harness was completely melted together but it did so in such a fashion that it triggered off different and various check engine lights to replace the sensor or that sensor all the sensors and what happened was it finally took out the computer but I did not find that out until after I rebuilt the wiring harness. I should go back a second because I did replace the computer and that was just before I discovered the wiring harness. The wiring harness melted a little bit more and took out the brand new computer. Luckily that was under warranty. They didn't care I told him. It wasn't their fault. They said no problem and gave me a new one so once I read it every wire for wire the whole bundle wrapped it up in heat fiberglass tape. Wrap that up in aluminum heat tape and repositions the wiring harness so it'll never get close to the exhaust manifold again. Now everything is running all right except now the transmission is starting to act up.

I hate this van. I love that it'll hold off complete sheet of plywood but I hate it. I hate it with a passion. I've sunk so much money into this damn thing that I've got to keep it so now I have to do something about the transmission that is crazy. Oh yeah the switch for the back hatch went out too. It had cancer on top of the roof where the racks are so I've taken care of that and carefully filled it and painted it to exact color. I ask myself, "Oh my God what else can go wrong." Well everything can go wrong so be careful. I've looked up reviews on it and it is just not that good. It's a good thing I can work on cars or this would have cost me a small fortune. It already has cost me a small fortune.

Reviewed Dec. 28, 2017

Bought this 2014 Dodge Caravan to accommodate children, camping gear, etc. Van is spacious, however, body panels are very cheap - doors bend under the slightest of pressure. Hood of van is rusting - took it to 2 shops to inquire about bodywork - both said no point in fixing it, it's due to the hood having a seam that is not properly sealed at the factory, moisture gets inside of it and it rusts from the inside out. I was told the only way to fix it is to throw the hood away and keep replacing it with new ones, that this happens all the time with Caravans. Also, the 2 sliding doors are almost always frozen shut whenever it gets cold, forcing my kids to have to climb over to the front seat to get out of the car and/or I have to open the back hatch to let them in and out.

Also, this van is useless for going up steep hills in winter - has absolutely no traction. I even bought studded tires, which help, but there are still times where it cannot get up the hills. Have also had engine light going off, something to do with emissions code - this has finally gone away, but it was on for a few months. Cheaply made van, I can see many repair jobs in my future, and god forbid it's ever in an accident, as I'm sure it would be totalled with the cheap design.

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2017

Flex Plate Cracked inside Transmission Casing just over 100K Km. I called Chrysler Canada for assistance and one of the client representative suggested I call dealership and requested for dealership goodwill and in case they refuse call them back. I called the closest dealership and they denied right away. As instructed by Chrysler Canada I called back with my case number, they right away said since I am the second owner and it's crossed the 100000 Km mark it's out of warranty and they cannot help me in any way. I would have been happy if they at least said like, "Ok we would take the expense of the part which is what roughly 200$."

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2017

2013 Dodge Grand Caravan began misfiring within a year of brand new purchase. Contacted dealership and brought car in for misfire. They "claimed" they fixed the problem. Driving home the same problems. Called and they said it's normal for my car to drive like that because they "fixed" it. The car continued to misfire and I continued to call the dealership. I finally talked them into letting me bring it back in and they said there was no code so no problem even though my car was sputtering every time I accelerated (same reason I brought it in the first time when they said they fixed it). They sent me on my way and the car continued to misfire. I called and complained at least once a month and they said there was nothing they could do about it. Once again I finally said enough is enough and I brought it back in and demanded it be fixed. They told me it wasn't the same problem but I insisted they fix it.

They claimed they fixed it but still something was wrong. My engine light went on within a couple of days. They refused to service my car after claiming it was no longer covered under warranty. Here I am 3 years later with the same code coming up as a bad catalytic converter. I had. A mechanic check it out and he said it was due to the misfire that happened when I bought the car. Now I have to fight to have my car fixed. It is not due to negligent driving. It is due to poor quality of product. This car is a lemon and I should have done something years ago when they refused to fix my car properly.

Chrysler needs to make more quality. They need to own up on poor quality they are selling. It is your product not mine. Why am I paying for something I didn't do. I want answers. Not to mention my radio randomly stopped working 2 years ago. My driver side window goes up after 20 tries. My battery has already been replaced too. Ridiculousness. This car is a lemon and has been since the first misfire in 2013.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupCoveragePricePunctuality & SpeedReliability

Reviewed Sept. 22, 2017

This vehicle is a lemon and needs to be recalled entirely. I purchased a used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE in 2013 because huge price difference although with 46,000 km on it. Sales says... Kilometers don't mean what they did a few years ago. Cars are much better engineered and designed to last a good lifetime. This sales guy also sold me the vehicle with an active recall on it and did not advise Dodge there was a new owner so I was not made aware at any point.

Well... 100,000 km later my van starts stuttering and I am directed to a Dodge dealership to update the TCP module as per recall. They say it's done and the stuttering was caused by spark plugs that need replacing. For 600.00 I do this. I also ask... What kind of damage would there be driving this long with a faulty computer advising the trans.? A little more wear but it's fine and it will run smoother now. Took it home stuttering sporadically. Call back - was advised, "Ya pay for diagnostics and we will see what's up." "Excuse me? 600.00 and you don't know??"

Fwd - May 2016. 5 months later and now at 160,000 km. Trans needs a rebuild. Dodge... says, "Ya out of warranty. Nothing we can do." Dealership I bought it from... "Ya we don't deal with Dodge since we aren't a Dodge dealership." So I pay for the fix... Aug 2016 the TICP fails and needs to be replaced. All spark plugs too as they apparently had NEVER been changed for the life of the vehicle. I get the work done. Dodge has once again DODGED their ** vehicle.

FWD - May 2017. Happy to be able to afford a full over maintenance check of the vehicle and install a new windshield etc. Spark plugs replaced and everything detailed too! So I could love it again. September 2017. Check engine light and very noticeable misfire happening. Sluggish and slow to go. Take it in and the 1st cylinder valve and head need to be replaced. Light! someone says they've extended the warranty on some. Call Dodge yup. Call mechanic yup. Move the vehicle to the Dodge dealership for work and... Not covered. Call Dodge, not covered. WTF!

2nd cylinder covered for premature wear. Um... My 1st cylinder is out for premature wear! I know I have 190,000 kms on this vehicle. But a vehicle should last well beyond that for the tens of thousands of dollars we pay for them. I needed and still need a reliable vehicle for my family. Now I'm in an upside down loan with it and I dread driving it again after this 2400.00 fix.

In addition to the big problems... The brakes wear crazy fast. 2 front changes a year and one rear change a year. Bit excessive in my opinion. I hate this thing - I hate Dodge and their lack of interest to help anyone who purchases their vehicles. Because they got our money they are working on the next guy. Biggest warning... DO NOT BUY DODGE! Horrible products. Liars, cheats and I'm surprised I have not been in a horrible accident with my children in this thing yet. I'm sure that not far off though.

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2017

Since my purchase in 2011 my Grand Caravan has performed as advertised. The present mpg exceeds the manufacturers stated when I purchased. Oil changes are offered periodically at low cost.

Reviewed Aug. 4, 2017

I own a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has 55,000 miles on it. Recently it was hesitating to start when turning the ignition. I brought it to a local mechanic who within a few hours told me that it was the ignition module and that Dodge has had a number of recalls with this issue and I should bring it to the dealer. I did bring it to dealer and did have to replace the ignition module. The repair cost me $1,075. They said that my year was not part of the recall. This is not a part that should ever wear out on a car. Mine wore out after only 55,000 miles. After contacting Dodge directly, they said they could not help me in any way.

Reviewed June 28, 2017

Bubbling paint on hood... Poorly designed hood structure that leads to Aluminum corroding after 3 years! Hood needs to replaced after 33000 km. Many vehicles have this issue but go un-noticed! Crappy design.

Reviewed June 6, 2017

I have now been an owner of my Dodge Caravan for a year and one month. I just realize some major flaws with my ignition system. The other day I forgot to put my Caravan in park with the key still in the ignition and it allowed me to remove the key and my car started rolling away. My next complaint, my keys still in the ignition and car on and in park, did not unlock itself when I put the car in park so when I got out and closed my door was locked out of my car... With one of my children still inside too young to unlock the door for me so I had to break into my car. I feel very unsafe knowing my car is not built with safety precautions that are overall very dangerous to myself, my children and others around me...

Reviewed June 1, 2017

Wish I could give negative stars. I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan. I bought it while I was pregnant with my 4th child needing the extra room for everyone. I have had nothing but problems in the 3 years I've had it. I've had to replace the timing belt, front brakes, headlight assembly, starter, rack and pinion - all within the last 6 months. Then last night my driver's side window just shattered as I was rolling it up. Don't know what to do. I don't have all this extra money to keep putting in this van every other week. I would love to know how to get on the recall list. I've called/emailed Dodge/Mopar and no response.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2017

I purchased a 2010 Dodge Caravan many years ago as a family vehicle. At the beginning everything seemed great but once the warranty was up it all changed. I have had brake work done a few times. I had issues with the rear lights. The front windows do not open when it is cold in the winter. Every so often there is a burning smell when the ac or heat is on. The dashboard light is partially out. The most recent issue, it has issues shifting into park. I will not be purchasing a Dodge next time.

Reviewed Sept. 18, 2016

I bought this car New Year's Eve 2015... It had 11 miles on it. At 18,700 miles my tires were completely bald in the front and had to replace them. Secondly the transmission front pump was leaking at 18,700 miles... Come to find out they had to replace it. Now on September 15th someone tells me as I'm driving my car, "your car is on fire." Scared as hell, I pull over and there is smoke billowing out of my engine and climbing into the car. The transmission fluid poured out of the car onto the ground. I called Dodge immediately to have my car towed and I got a voicemail. No one called me back so I use my own insurance have it towed. When I told them they need to reimburse my insurance company they told me I should have called them first. That in itself pissed me off. Now they tell me it's the transmission oil cooler. Real nice.

Back in March 23, I was in fender bender, and ALL 3 of my airbags went off. I am still in therapy from where the airbag's impact hit my kneecap. The police department, paramedics and the mechanic, all told me they cannot believe the airbags went off as there was absolutely no damage to my car. I will never ever buy another Dodge. Two problems with the transmission, brand-spanking-new van, within 8 months (18K and 25K miles) the airbags defect, and my tires being bald within $18,000. This is ridiculous. It's also very cheaply put together... My running boards on the inside of my van on both sides come off very easily when somebody steps in my van. Sometimes the shifter won't even shift into drive, it sticks. I do not want this vehicle anymore.

Installation & SetupCoverageStaff

Reviewed June 9, 2016

Bought a 2012 Dodge caravan June of 2012 brand new off the lot. 2 years later June 2, 2014 at 17,000 miles a second alternator was installed under warranty. Now at 37,500 miles a third alternator was installed and Chrysler and our Dover Dodge dealership has no idea why it happened again and we missed the warranty cut off by 1500 miles. So we just had to pay $456.00 out of our pocket. Ten days later battery light came back on. As of now it is back in the Dover Dodge repair center, not covered again under warranty with only 38,000 miles, with three new alternators in this vehicle. Dodge Chrysler has been absolutely no help whatsoever and my wife and I are shocked how they treat their customers. It clearly a on going problem, they just dont want to admit there is something wrong or want to cover it in any way. Never will we buy a Chrysler again.

Reviewed May 27, 2016

I have read other reviews; reviews that horrify me; about the FOBIK system of the Caravans failing and/or accelerating all by itself. However, I never had any of those problems with my 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan, nor the 2009 that I owned before it was totaled in an accident in November of 2014. But, be that as it may, when I received notice that my van's Wireless Ignition Node was being recalled I went up to my dealer and put my name off the list to receive the replacement. DON'T DO IT!!! (Unless it's a real problem of course). First of all, I forgot I even put my name on the "list" because it took SO long for the part to come in (it was almost a year). And just a few days ago I received a call to make an appointment to get it "replaced". I just took my van up to the dealership yesterday. I was told it was only going to be about an hour to repair; I was there almost 2 hours.

Finally, the service rep came to get me and sign the paper; said the mechanic was going to drive my van out to the front lot for me to pick up. I waited outside for about 15 minutes for my van; no van. The same service rep finally came to get me and said that something was wrong with the shifter; that it wouldn't shift now. So she had to get me a rental car while they ordered the part which would be there the next day and would fix it and get it back to me. I was called by the dealership the next day by early afternoon to pick up my van. I took the keys to the rental back in and got my paperwork and keys and was hoping to be on my merry way. I went to start the van, and it started. I went to turn on my air conditioning... and nothing.

My climate control wouldn't work, nor my radio, automatic doors, blinkers, wipers... everything electrical. I tried to shift it, and the shifter knob wouldn't even push in. I went back in and told them that I needed the rental back and what was going on. They gave it back to me and sent a mechanic out to retrieve my vehicle. But before I left the service rep retorted that he has no idea what all that has to do with the ignition switch. Well, OBVIOUSLY IT DOES SINCE ALL OF THAT STUFF WAS WORKING JUST FINE BEFORE I TOOK MY VAN TO GET THE "REPLACEMENT". So I still have the rental for the time being, and what I would like everyone to get out of this review is, unless you or your family are in real danger from the FOBIK failing or dangerous acceleration, please, please, please, DO NOT get the "replacement". It WILL make everything worse.

Reviewed May 8, 2016

I bought a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan full cash for my husband. He was breaking to stop when the passenger front airbag deployed for no reason; it went out into the front windshield instead of out towards the seat. Then the leg airbag deployed pushing his leg down making his foot go from the brake pedal onto the gas pedal, hit a park car & so driver bag went off. Dodge claimed it wasn't faulty. Lies. Can anyone help?

Reviewed April 19, 2016

My 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan has always made a loud squealing noise when I first start it on cold winter days. If it's not plugged in it squeals for minutes but if it's plugged in it's only for maybe 30 seconds. I don't know if this is going to end up in the motor blowing or what I should do about it?! It's paid off and there is 137000 Km's on it.

Reviewed April 18, 2016

I purchased a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT about 4 years ago. Still paying for it after having to spend thousands of dollars on it. The transmission went out the week before Christmas of 2015. Dodge Dealership charged me $4,068.41, because it was a front wheel drive auto. Warranty had ran out. This van only had 57971 miles on it. I have taken very good care of it. Then 2 months ago, every light on the dashboard came on and would not go off, so I took it to the dealership and they told me it was the instrument cluster and it had to be replaced. That cost $770.67. The next day the van would not start. I called them (THE DEALERSHIP) to see if they had disconnected the battery or had done something that would make it not start and their answer was NO! I got a friend to jump it with battery cables and it started up.

I have not had any more problems with the battery yet. But now the ESP/BAS and Traction Control Light has lit up in the instrument cluster and will not go off, so I called the dealership this past Friday. I have an appointment Tuesday April 19th, 2016 to have it checked but the service manager said he already knew what the problem was. It was a clock spring that controls the airbag and that the airbag could deploy at any given moment. If that happens I will not be able to see what is in front of me, so I will hit something head on... I am a single 61 year old lady that lives by herself and own one auto and this is that van. How can Chrysler sell vans that have so much problems with them? As I have spent several hours reading about everyone else having problems with the Caravans at low mileage, here on this site and on several more complaint web pages about Chrysler/Dodge Autos.

This is the first time I have ever purchased one and it will definitely be my LAST!!! I have owned vans all my life and drove them well over 200,000 miles and never had such problems with them. I sure hope they go back to making vans soon, so I can get rid of this death trap!!! And the bad thing I still have another year to make payments on a vehicle that is costing me thousands of dollars and it does NOT even have 60,000 miles on it yet. I have searched for recalls on this van and there are none... that is really a scary fact!! I am also scared to drive it out of town for the fear of something drastic happening on a interstate, as I have read here about so many compliments of drastic things happening. What can a lady do???

CoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed March 29, 2016

I purchased a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan in Feb of last year (2015) brand new. I have had a few unusual sounds when slowing down and turning right. I attempted to have it serviced at the dealership. I purchased it from (Dilawri), however they did not have a courtesy car or shuttle available for my wife and our two kids during the days/time required. We then had it looked at by Celebrity Chrysler in Manotick. When they had examined it there were no issues with the front suspension or steering, just the rear. These were replaced under warranty. 1-2 months later, we went to ask them to look at the suspension again (due to the clicking and slight knocking sound), and they had stated it was likely the brakes and therefore required a brake service. So this 13 month old vehicle (2015 Dodge Grand Caravan) after 21000 kms requires a brake service due to a poor engineered design.

The vehicle is primarily driven by my wife and she is an excellent driver. Allegedly the rotors needed to be re-machined to prolong life. This ended up costing me $294 with the notorious supplies and taxes. I spoke to several people and they have never had to do a brake service at 21000 kms, let alone having this service cost just under $300. I would think that Chrysler should have covered this as it is so close to the 1 yr comprehensive mark. The first Dodge I have purchased (I used to buy Japanese vehicles, but thought the discount on the Chrysler minivans was worth a shot...so far this has not proven well). It is worth considering a used Japanese minivan (2- 3 yrs old over a brand new Grand Caravan/Town and Country).

Coverage

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2015

Had a 2010 purchased new, nothing but die out problems, always! I went through 5 batteries in 2 years. I traded-in for a new 2013 and now only having under 30k miles- after many service appts for my alignment, they replaced control arms, shocks and 2 alignments. The shocks are what caused my tires to wear out completely. They did not cover tires. After having 3 service appts for suspension they finally said there were issues. I also had cold air blowing when the heat is on, they of course found nothing. Now having Trans problems. Uggh. I might have to re-think another Dodge.

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2015

Bought my 2012 Dodge Caravan as a safe vehicle for my family. So far headlights have got small cracks, right door stopped working, heat on both passenger and driver side stopped working, and back door lifted up but stopped working and fell on my daughter. I took it in when I first got it and complained about the brakes pulsating but was told it's normal up until my last visit and they said my rotors need to be replaced. My brakes are still fine but rotors need to be changed. I'm upset cause I complained about this numerous times. Dodge has fixed all of this stuff except the rotors under Goodwill warranty but it upsets me that I've spent this much money on a vehicle and so many things have gone wrong. I don't feel safe driving my family around in this vehicle.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed Nov. 5, 2015

I bought my van new Dec. 2013. Already had bearings that needed to be replaced in the transmission, that was in 2014 and now it has been in shop for 2 weeks. For at first they said the oil pressure switch and gaskets and that the switch was not covered under warranty and it would cost $288 to do but then it was that the 3rd head leaking oil which is covered, which I looked up and this would cause the oil pressure switch to go, and my gas pedal would stick and sound like the engine was revving up!!! WTH I am paying so much money for this vehicle and it keeps having problems and if someone that is with me like my granddaughter gets hurt because of my gas pedal getting stuck or revving up Dodge is getting sued.

Reviewed Sept. 3, 2015

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Recently I have noticed the gas pedal sticking. It is getting worse in just a few days! What would cause this to happen? I am worried about this as it scares me.

Reviewed Aug. 13, 2015

I have owned a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan for 5 years. Aside from having to replace the transmission, (acceptable for this age of vehicle), I have had no problems. It's an LS/ES so it has all the bells and whistles. Even the leather seats are in excellent condition. I LOVE my DGC!! It has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2015

I own a 2010 Dodge Caravan. Last fall I brought it to the dealership as my rear brakes were squealing while driving, but stopped with brake application. They stated that my rear brakes needed to be re-done, at a cost of $600. 10 months later, the squealing begins again, exactly the same as 10 months ago, so I bring it back in, and now it's the calipers, pistons and brakes that require fixing at a cost of $1000!! So I am a little disappointed and angry that the problem wasn't fixed correctly the first time around, and I am out a lot of money to a vehicle with 94000 km on it. I won't be choosing a Dodge the next time around.

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2015

I own a 2013 Dodge Caravan. I have had no major problems other than it would blow out heat when the air conditioning was on and cold when the heater was on. The dealership found no problem. They made no service recommendations. I went to another dealership and they found three maintenance issues. The major issue I have now is that when I tried to start it yesterday, it wouldn't start and it appeared overloaded. When I got it to start, the check engine light came on.

Reviewed June 22, 2015

Dodge grand caravan 2013 - Numerous problems with the vehicle. Within 30 days vehicle is already in Dodge auto service with complaints of stuttering and gears getting stuck. The vehicle since then I was in the shop for 6 more times. Overheating radio been stuck, stuttering and the most dangerous car would accelerate on own. Brought in the vehicle numerous times for acceleration problem. Contacted Chrysler's complaint line - even was dealing with Chrysler Resolution Center. What time by ** that since our service department was unable to find the true cause of the acceleration issue, that there was nothing wrong with the car according to them. Explain numerous to the Resolution Center that the car was unsafe but if you're driving 50 miles the car accelerate to 85 miles without my foot on the pedal.

I was unable to stop the car - ended up driving on the side medium and threw the car in park. All the Resolution Center offered me was a deal to buy a new Town and Country Chrysler 2015. That we denied and refuse to take due that the 2015 are also having the same issue. They would not help us fix the car - not resolve the issues. Stay away from this brand. They know what's going on. There are numerous complaints about the acceleration issue and Chrysler is not doing nothing about it.

Reviewed May 22, 2015

I have a 2010 Dodge Caravan. I purchase last year that lights radio windows. All stop working from time to time and eventually starts back working. Highlights goes off and later comes back on.

Coverage

Reviewed April 2, 2015

Dodge 2012 Caravan - I have owned the car for 36,000 miles and have gone through 2 sets of Michelin Defender Tires ($150 each 90k rated) - not covered under warranty. Major Engine work - covered under warranty. Water Pump replaced at 40k miles - warranty. Rear brakes at 50k (2nd time being done) - not covered. AC/Heater faceplate snapped while driving down a dirt road, dealer wants me to be for a code upgrade - $250. All having to be done today at 56k. Front brakes including rotors - not covered. Suspension arm - covered under extended warranty after $100 deductible. 2 Major oil leak - covered but means I am without a vehicle for 2 days.

Reviewed March 30, 2015

I have a mixed review. On one hand i love the van. It has good power, runs great and fits the needs i have. My issue is the sliding rear doors. BOTH have failed multiple times. I'm tired of it. I spent a LOT on this van and continue to spend fixing the doors. I looked online and it seems that this is a common problem with people for the van. Is dodge not doing anything about it? I need a new van. I will NOT be looking at dodge.

Reviewed March 26, 2015

Purchased 5-2014. This needs investigation on the amount of people whom have died as a result of driving this van. 2014 Dodge Van should be taken off the streets. Simple story on March 21, 2015 while driving on to a very short ramp which leads to the highway with limited time to get in your slot or for those on it already, to make you a slot, I accelerated to needed speed to get a slot. Once I was up to 70 mph I let off the gas pedal, the car continued to accelerate. I was then not only in the thick of highway traffic traveling on I-70 after stomping on the brakes car rpm rose. I was soon going 90 MPH against my will was gas pedal stuck. I saw it was not stuck on a car matt- no matts in front. Started pulling gas pedal up trying to unstick it which it wasn't stuck.

I then stomped on the brakes panicking at this time as not only coming upon the car in front still going near 95 mph and accelerating but there was no open slot to escape around any cars. I tried 4-5 times more to lift the pedal with my foot it wouldn't slow, I then threw car into neutral and slowed it down and drifted it off the ramp exit 295. I sincerely believe that there have been multiple deaths and accidents from this that was never reported.

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2015

I was driving my family (2 adults, 4 kids) today in our 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan with 41,000 miles. I noticed a couple miles down the road the accelerator didn't feel right. Once I was on the freeway around 65 MPH, I realized the accelerator wasn't releasing when I would let up on the pedal. It took a few times to make sure it wasn't my imagination - I told my wife, who said it did something like that to her earlier in the week when driving one of our kids home from school! Upon getting off the freeway, I found I had to mash the brake pedal pretty hard to get the van to come to a complete stop. On the way home, it continued to feel like it was sticking - but it is an electronic accelerator, no accelerator cable to get stuck! It feels like the cruise control is controlling the pedal position and/or throttle.

I called the local Dodge service center, they said they were really busy, and asked if I thought we could drive it for the next week or so. I couldn't believe that was even a question! Looking through this site, Edmunds, and others, I found that this is more common than it should be!! I am concerned about my family's safety and Dodge's apparent lack of concern. We have been contemplating getting a Honda Odyssey for some time, I think this is the last straw.

Reviewed Feb. 9, 2015

Over a year ago I purchased a used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan in Canada with approx. 35k miles..... on a recall notice. I then took it to the local dealer and they did something with the electronic shift on a Dodge Recall...... it had not been shifting smoothly and this supposedly fixed the problem. I have taken the vehicle for normal maintenance (oil/filter etc) and on my last visit nearing the end of the CANADIAN warranty which now I find is much LESS than the US Warranty for the same vehicle.. (only 60k mile in Canada versus 100k miles in USA for the same vehicle).

The local dealer again fixed engine issues and advised I would have no more problems. However the transmission has acted up by jumping out of gear on the interstate and $550 later and 2 dealer visits to address the problem which did not HELP or SOLVE any transmission issues.... I'm now told by the dealer that the transmission has to be replaced or rebuilt and it's JUST OVER THE 60K Canadian Warranty limit. This is a HUGE issue for me as the van is still financed and I'm now looking at a $3-5K expenditure to fix a transmission issue on a basically new vehicle with low mileage!!!!!

While Dodge Canada advises they do have a CUSTOMER GOODWILL program..... so far I've received no good news that they will be accepting responsibility for this faulty transmission.... the van is currently at the dealer having the transmission torn down...... it's looking now that I have to borrow more $'s now and submit a claim for Dodge Canada to approve/disallow YET if I had bought this EXACT SAME van in the USA... the transmission issue would be fixed under warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is totally unfair, especially for a vehicle that had a RECALL in Canada issued shortly after I purchased this vehicle for transmission issues.....

Reviewed Jan. 26, 2015

Dodge Caravan 2010 - Dodge shifter was the first to break after about 35,000. At that point, unable to start or shift vehicle, had vehicle towed to dodge dealership, then were told parts on back order. Because vehicle is handicap accessible we had to go through another company 60 miles away to get another vehicle. The bill for shift repair was several hundred dollars. Now same vehicle at 75-78000 miles - ignition goes, part on back order, another loaner van, my husband can get in them, but not set up for him to drive. Bill on ignition, 700.00 plus 19?.00 for towing. I called customer service, they offered me 4 oil changes and something else. Does this happen to other people??

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2015

While driving in the mountains of Colorado this past Sunday I hit black ice and lost control of my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport. We hit the mountain, flipped, did a 180 then rolled. The van is totaled. The airbags never deployed!!! We were wearing our seatbelts however I still came out of my seat and hit the windshield and roof of the van with my head. I want to know why the airbags never deployed and if there was a recall on this vehicle for this issue. I am the original owner and purchased it right off the lot in Littleton CO in November of 2002. At the time of the crash it only had 95,000 miles, I kept it in perfect condition with all maintenance logs filled out.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2015

2010 Dodge Caravan SE XLT - 9/16/2014 I had accident, my car would not stop and I hit the right rear of a stopped vehicle, damaging both cars. A person in the other vehicle was injured. I pressed as hard as I could on the brake pedal and it did not stop. I have a HoverRound chair in my van for my use. I have a hydraulic lift installed in the rear of my vehicle to haul my HoverRound when I need it. In addition to this is the fact that now I have an electrical problem, about every third day it will not start. Now to the shop it goes and what??

CoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 1, 2015

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Key Fell Apart Due to L-25 Recall "fix": I bought this vehicle used with 32K on the odometer, received 2 Fobik Keys - a month later I found out the second fob was bad when I couldn't find the one I had been using in my purse. (I always carried both.) Used the other since and parked the bad key away. I mentioned this at my first oil change and was told basically, "too bad, so sad," the keys were sold "as is." Really? How nice. In 2011 I got a recall notice for the ignition switch/receptacle. Strike one. (In some cases fobs were moving in ignition portal and switching to off position while driving. This did not happen to me, but the dangerous potential was there.) It took 7 months for the part to come in. Strike two.

After having the "fix" (a notched metal collar cover over ignition portal) installed at the dealership, I noticed that when one turned the key to start it, no matter how gently or carefully you turned it, it would catch on the notch as it passed by from the "off" position to "start". It never occurred to me that the repeated rubbing of the plastic against the metal would eventually damage the fob - I mean, this was supposed to be "fixed" and I didn't think much of it at the time. In hindsight, the breakage was inevitable.

After three years of little driving, (71K on it now) and two with the "fix", the plastic where the fob makes contact with the notch broke, causing "bad key" error messages when trying to start it and it started taking many tries to start it. Strike 3. Made an appt. with the dealership after a few days of that frustrating exercise and they refused to warranty it, even though the original design defect was not my fault, nor was the design defect of the "fix" my fault.

Make no mistake, the design of the "fix" is faulty - the sloping degree of the notch should have been different on the left side of the notch from the right side. Instead the notch is equal on both sides, guaranteeing the key will rub against the notch every time. (I always had the fob separate by itself from my keychain and never abused it in any way.) Is this a smarmy way for Chrysler to guarantee income from new fobs or do they need better part designers? Strike 4.

Since I still have three years left to pay on it, the second fob they gave me was bad from the get-go and I usually drive my vehicles until they die (still have a working 2000 Caravan as a winter beater). I ended up being forced to pay almost 240.00 all-in for a new fob just to be able to start it. If I keep this vehicle until it's 15 years old, and the fob has a lifespan of about two years or less before it breaks, I can look forward to spending another 1200.00 plus over that time just to be able to start it. Strike 5.

I will NEVER buy another Chrysler again because of a fob and Chrysler's refusal to stand behind their so-called customer care, and I will tell everyone I know about their shoddy parts and practices. Is that an excessive reaction? After reading about other people's issues with the same vehicle, no sirree. I am so NOT the only person who has had this problem. It's the principle of the thing.

Instead of doing the right thing, (damn the "warranties") and replacing one fob that MAYBE cost them a lousy $30.00, they've made this into my fault and my problem and have now hopefully lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in future business from me (for sure) and my family, and friends. Unfortunately they don't care because there's always another new sucker... errr... customer walking into a dealership that is clueless to their less than stellar products and service.

Customer Service

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2014

I bought a 2008 dodge caravan 3 years ago. It had 18000 miles. Now has 45,500. My van has been stalling out in the MIDDLE of driving. I cannot brake or steer. It happened once in a school zone. Thank God no kids were crossing. At least 8 plus times with my kids in the car hitting a phone pole and almost running off the road down a steep hill. Another time last year it was snowing, the van slid and shut off on a hill. I am so scared to drive it but that is all I have to drive. I have gone to 4 different garages including 2 Dodge dealerships... spending a lot of money every time. Which say they "fixed the problem". Well again it stalled 2 times yesterday. Also sliding doors freeze easily, main panel switch needed replaced, computer was reprogrammed twice, brakes do not last long. Worst van I have ever bought.

Reviewed Nov. 18, 2014

My wife and I purchased the van new in 2008. We have had multiple problems ever since, which has cost us thousands of dollars. The problems started with the front brakes going out every 18 thousand miles or so. We have had multiple electrical issues, vehicle not starting, turning off while driving, electric windows not working, both electric doors breaking and driver side electric window and mirror. We also had a weld on the rear traction bar crack for no apparent reason and a leaking radiator. We have always maintained the vehicle, yet it continues to give us countless problems. This is without a doubt the worst made vehicle I have ever owned. I wish I would have paid for the extended warranty!

StaffReliability

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2014

I thought it would be important to write a review of my van, a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. You may be looking for a used one, or looking at a new one which is very similarly engineered. You may want it for your business or family, but you might be hesitant because you read somewhere that Dodge was not very highly rated on the reliability scale. I can only go from personal experience, but I have had 4 Dodge vans in a row, and have had zero problems and drove them all to 170,000-190,000 miles before trading them in. I give them a 5 star out of 5 star rating. I find them to be reliable, rugged, comfortable, and with proper maintenance pretty bulletproof. I am not the only one who thinks this, as every taxi cab in my city are Caravans - they see a lot of hard service. I believe that a van cannot be accidentally good, it has to be engineered that way, and these vans are well engineered and well built.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupCoveragePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2014

We purchased this van new and have maintained it on a regular basis. Our previous experience with Chrysler in 2002 left us thinking we would never again purchase a Chrysler product because we felt that they had failed to honor their warranty/extended warranty. We should have sued them, but felt the best thing to do was to lick our wounds and walk away. Repeatedly when we took the van in for maintenance we were told the same thing..."Can not duplicate the customer's complaint." Finally at 60,000 miles the engine seized up and we were told that the issue was "poor maintenance". They were the ones doing the maintenance (oil changes) and we were told that they did not have any record of them being done. When the newer models came out my personal friend who owns the Chrysler dealership called me and told me he had just the vehicle for my wife.

So we looked at it and decided we should purchase it. It served our needs well and we did all the regularly suggested maintenance to keep it up. We also kept copious records so Chrysler could not screw us again. At about 65,000 miles we had a major failure in the steering column locking up while my wife was in South Dakota. As it turned out they had to do some major computer repairs to the central control. Since that time the vehicle will sporadically refuse to start. Sometimes it is as if it is not getting fuel because the engine will turn over but not fire. Most frequently it will simply produce a clicking sound when the key is engaged in the starting position. The dash all lights up, but then nothing but a click when you attempt to turn the engine over. We had purchased the extended warranty and felt we would be protected, but because we again were given the "cannot reproduce the customer complaint" we had to pay the rental costs ourselves.

Each time we had it checked (over 5 times) we got the same response. I was told by one service agent that because the vehicle did not have to be held over night the rental car was not covered. Almost every time I took the vehicle in, other parts were back ordered and we were sent home with the notification that they would call when the necessary parts were in so we could once again go back to have them installed. Another 5-6 hours of wasted time, a rental car fee and no change in the complaint we sought help with in the first place. We became adamant about the issues we were facing but we were stonewalled with the same response... "Could not reproduce the customer's complaint". I talked to my friend... but still no help... We were simply turned over to the same inept repair department over and over again.

If it is Chrysler... who should know how to address the issue we are facing if it is not Chrysler???? Over 40 times my wife has been temporarily stranded because the vehicle would not start. Many times all it takes is to wait a couple minutes and it will start. BUT other times simply hooking up to another vehicle resets something and the van will start. TONIGHT... it was stopped for over 4 hours and finally we just hooked up the cables and it started right up. We turned it off and it started fine. After doing that several times we drove it home... turned it off and it starts... NO PROBLEM! I am mechanically minded and know this to be a very unique problem... but once again if CHRYSLER CAN NOT FIX THEIR OWN VEHICLE PROBLEMS... WHO IN THE WORLD CAN? THE BIGGEST ISSUE now is that at 100,000 all the warranties ran out and even though the problem has been reported and reported over and over again...

We now are on our own... THAT IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO DO BUSINESS CHRYSLER... It is unfair mostly to us as consumers, but is it also very unfair to the inept service repair individuals who do not know how to address the problems your engineers have created. They don't even know how to find them. THAT IS SAD. THIS ISSUE has brought me to the conclusion that though they look impressive.... A CHRYSLER MINI VAN, CAR, TRUCK OR OTHER VEHICLE IS NOT IN MY FAMILY'S FUTURE, MOST LIKELY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

I have been lied to by both the service managers and the finance managers of the Steven Chrysler Group here in town, as well as the district manager for Chrysler who made the determination that our engine failure was due to poor maintenance and I would have to pay to replace it. I also was lied to and treated in the same manner in the mid 1990s when we were told the jerky transmission was "normal" after 3 service attempts, only to find out on the internet that CHRYSLER was very aware of the complaint and did not have a way to fix it. The transmission went out at 51,000 miles and the warranty expired on it at 50,000. We had it rebuilt and it lasted about 3 months so we had it completely replaced and sold it 3,000 miles later. The new owner called after 2,5000 miles to inform me that it had failed again on him.

As far as I am concerned Chrysler has an attractive line of vehicles in the Chrysler line. The Dodge line especially in the trucks is horrid. BUT, NONE of the Chrysler products are very dependable after 50,000 miles and the maintenance PROVIDE BY CHRYSLER IS HORRIBLE. The service personnel's attitude is great... but they are unable to address and fix most of my complaints. Case in point. On one service event, I arrived home to find out that they had somehow broken off one of the mirror turn signal indicator lights. I was told they would order another one in and they would give me a call. The call never came and one year later after dealing with my starting issue, I called to have my issue addressed once again.

I mentioned the 'backordered' indicator lights and sure enough they were on the shelf but no one had ever called. OH, and by the way now it was my responsibility to pay for them... AND THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT HAD BROKEN THEM! That service rep was now no longer with the dealership and I had no recourse.... I was stuck again... CHRYSLER SERVICE STINKS! THEY need to take notice of several other giants who had service issues and are no longer in business... or in dramatic declines.

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2014

My car is part of the engine switch recall still has not been fixed. My van has many problems. The car has shut off and turned back on in rush hour Traffic in Phoenix Az. Scared the hell out of me. Then it wouldn't go over 40 miles an hour. It's done this several times now. Brakes and rotors have been replaced 4 times in 3 years. Eats them up quickly and they get hot, very hot. My control buttons in my car keep failing. Window go down but won't go up. Then all kinds of light blink at any given time. Dodge Dealer says that all sounds strange not sure why it does that. Grrrrrrr. Tired of paying for a death trap of a car.

Customer Service

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2014

I had to have my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan towed home because the plastic FOB key left me stranded. The display on van said bad key and wouldn't start. I replaced battery and nothing. Called dealer and he said sounds like bad fob key or wireless ignition nodule. He also said no other way to start it. Are you kidding me? What idiot designs a vehicle to not be able to start with a reg metal key? I will NEVER buy a Dodge or Chrysler product again!!!

Customer ServiceReliability

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2014

DO NOT BUY THIS ** - We bought this car (Dodged Caravan) brand new in Aug 2012 and as a family car. The car is only driven when we go on a family picnic or for large shopping. Before the first service (less than 5000 KM), the car started to give occasional squeaking sound from the back wheels and wheels would sometimes get very hot. Once, we had to cut our trip short because of wheels overheating.

We took the car for the dealer for service and asked them to check the brake. The dealer reply was that brake needed a service and there is nothing to worry about. However, the occasional squeaking sound continued until the car was due for the second service (9000 KM). Still, the dealer reply was "nothing to worry about." This continued until before the time for the third service (15000 KM), when we heard a strong grinding sound every time the brake paddle is pressed, and the sound would stay for a short while after the brake is released.

We rushed the car to the dealer again. This time the dealer mechanic found that the back brake pads are completely worn-out out and there is sign of damage on the rooters as well. The car needed replacement of Brake pads and Rooters and the dealer refused to fix it under warranty as the car was over one year old. I believe this is either factory or design defect and should have been repaired under warranty. I have owned many cars in the past and never seen brake pads and rooters need replacement at 15000km interval. I have driven my other car (German made) for 60000 km so far and the brake pad still have more than 30% remaining.

I am very disappointed. Some of my friend advised me not to buy this car and now I deeply regret my decision to help our local economy by buying this car. I now see that many others facing similar issues, and unless Dodge (Chrysler) admit and address these reliability issues (and at least fix the defect under warranty), this is going to badly affect their reputation. I will never buy Chrysler products again.

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2014

My wife and I along with our three small children were 100 miles from home when our 2014 Caravan broke down. It was 8/30/2014, nine months since we bought it. The transmission failed, it would not shift to a higher gear while driving. It was towed, under warranty, to a dealer. Two weeks later the parts arrived and work started. The valve body was replaced. I would recommend not purchasing a Caravan.

Reviewed Sept. 6, 2014

Our 2012 Dodge Caravan, only 2 years old. My family 10yr, 6yr, 2yr and 7 day old NEWBORN! Van charging light turned on then van ACCELERATED! Would not slow down!! Is this getting FIXED?!?! This is very serious! We could have all been very seriously injured if not killed!!!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Sept. 3, 2014

With the start of my family, I purchased a used Minivan to see how we would like it. Despite my poor history with Chrysler vehicles in the past, my wife convinced me to buy a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan because of the Stow and Go seating. I have had the vehicle for three years and despite replacing a few parts, was pleasantly surprised. My recent experience however; makes me feel otherwise.

My brother had taken my two and four year old to the beach and on the way back had the headlights fail. By holding the high beam headlight switch he managed to make it back safely with limited lighting. I diagnosed the problem as the headlight switch and looking for the closest Dodge dealership online. I discovered there had been multiple problems with this switch and Dodge had guaranteed it for life.

I arrived at the dealership with the faulty switch in hand and discovered they had one in stock. I was told the price and at that time inquired about the guarantee. I was told by the dealership that unless I had the van there, they could not give me the switch at no cost. I inquired as to why this was but was only told they could not give parts out to anyone, end of discussion, despite the fact I had the faulty switch in my hand. I purchased the new switch under protest. Here is my problem with the situation:

How would have I brought my van to the dealership. My daytime running lights were out, as well as the headlights, which it is illegal to drive without. It could have also rained or been foggy at which point I would have needed my headlights. I could have towed it in, but towing my vehicle 75 km (closest dealership to Lorette) would have cost me well more than the switch. Is Dodge encouraging drivers to drive without headlights? The faulty switch was in my hand and I had my VIN #. A simple test with a multi-meter would have discovered that the switch was faulty. Are the technicians at Dodge unable to perform these tests in this new era where it is easier to replace than repair?

What is Dodge doing about this situation? I was told this is not a recall. Why not? GM could have spent a few cents on safety to save a lot of money. Why do I have to tell the parts guy that the switch is guaranteed? We live in the age of computers, would this not come up when the switch was purchased? Why am I explaining myself to Chrysler for the 3rd time? Facebook, Customer Care and now this letter. With a young family, my time is valuable and I would think that if your company cares about families and safety, this situation would have been long corrected. If this switch is truly guaranteed, I expect to be reimbursed, more importantly, I want some answers. Perhaps there is a reasonable explanation for all of this. Despite the resolution, I will not be going back to Gauthier Chrysler, or any other of his dealerships. I am very surprised that in today's day of social media, a switch that retails at $100 is worth a company's reputation. My response was to say that they would not refund my money without being able to diagnose the vehicle. Not one of my questions answered.

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2014

In February 2014, I bought a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 L V6 Engine from a used dealership. We drove the Caravan around the block and it was running good. Salesman said I only need a oil change. Ha ha, on the way home the car overheats. I need a thermostat. Did the thermostat and the oil change. In April 2014, The car turned off on me and left me stranded with my 2 kids by the park. I thought it was because I listened to music with the car off. They gave me a jump. 2nd time left me stranded the battery light pops up and the car dies. I knew instantly it was an Alternator. Paid for the tow to take to my garage. I paid $260.00 for the repair of the alternator and the tow.

In May the muffler went out. Fixed. In June/July, When I put my left blinker on correctly but doesn't turn off after I have straightened out the steering wheel. The turn signal problem is in the switch itself. Not a relay, so have to buy the multifunction turn signal switch replaced. Figure on around $150.00 parts and labor for that repair, which I haven't fixed yet. In August, I started my car and the MPH and the RPM needle went crazy, the light turned off for a split second and turned back on. So, I was on my way to the gas station and the car stops for no apparent reason. I have checked and changed all fuses in the IPM fuse and relay center. I charged the battery for 12 hours. Reconnected the battery and it still doesn't start. I have been googling trying to find out what is wrong with this car that doesn't start. Still struggling! :-(

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2014

I bought a 2000 Dodge Caravan with a 4 Cylinder engine, brand new. It now has almost 170,000 miles and I have been very happy with it. All I have done is changed the normal stuff: oil, brakes, tires, etc on a regular basis. I have had no unusual problems and, knock on wood, hope to continue that way. I saw so many bad reviews I just felt obliged to tell my story.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Vehicle has had computer reprogrammed 3 times and has had very poor MPG since the first time. Immediate 10% drop at 10,000 miles when first reprogrammed on 'recall' and continuous loss of economy since. Computer was checked several times, air filter changed, and also vehicle was kept for several days and the fuel rail was inspected for leaks. No leaks. Each time Dodge has said that there is no problem. As far as I know, the plugs have not been changed. I now get about 18 mpg on highway and about 14.5 with combined driving on a vehicle with only 27,000 miles. I always check fuel consumption using odometer and gas meter at the pump to determine miles per gallon. I noticed brake fade in one recent rapid deceleration and felt the automatic anti-lock working well. Vehicle was straight, but required considerable peddle strength. I had brakes checked and it was indicated that wear was normal less than 1/2 worn at 21,000 miles. I had them checked with service at 24,000 and was informed that I had to change brakes and do drums by the dealer. Since all service was done by dealers until this, I had brakes inspected and repairs done at about 26,000 miles by a non-dealer vendor, major brand repair center.

I inspected parts after job was completed and found that each of the rear pads had symmetrical wear at an odd angle, indicating that there is a possible poor fit or poor control of position of the pads at the caliper. I have performed myself, a lot of brake repairs on Dunlop style (and other) disc brakes and never seen this type of wear before. None of the brake pads were down to metal anywhere, but I agreed to have all 4 wheels done and for all rotors to be turned. No one has explained why pads were worn in this way. After brake job, there was no change in fuel consumption.

I have driven very similar Dodge Grand Caravan vehicles in high speed, police monitored motorcades with satisfaction and performance at high speeds is good but care needs to be used in tire selection and inflation. I do not recommend high speed use except under supervision on excellent highways. Wind resistance drag will cut performance and increase dangers. I prefer 60 - 70 MPH. I would not use to tow a trailer or small boat. Paint good, interior average. I keep this vehicle because it is easy for use with elderly and has good visibility for the driver. Many features are excellent. Utility Good. Hope this helps.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Rear brakes wear out. I have 46k and on third set of brakes. I have talked with dealer, phoned Chrysler Canada 4 times. They say there is no problems. The customer complaints say different. When you stop the van does not dip in the front. It seems the rear come on first. The trans computer has been adjusted 4 times - still no good.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have purchased a brand new 2012 Dodge Caravan SE two years ago to fit all of my grandchildren. Last summer while on a day trip with my family, my daughter was driving on a two-lane highway with the cruise control on and began to pass a vehicle when the van went out of control, the gas pedal stuck to the floor. The RPM's maxed out, the pedal would not come unstuck, brakes did not work so she applied the emergency brake that slowly slowed us down.

When we were able to come to a complete stop, the van motor was shaking the car. There was smoke everywhere from the brakes, the pedal was still stuck to the floor. She turned off the vehicle and had to kick and pull the pedal from the floor before it came unstuck. Being in the middle of nowhere with no cellular service, we had no choice but to turn the van back on and drive home... No cruise control used this time... And it rode good. When I called the dealership the following Monday, they told me to bring in my van in for a diagnostic test, to see what caused the problem and what needed to be fixed... Surprise Surprise... They said there was nothing faulty and tried to say maybe the floor mat pinned the pedal down... No, that was NOT the case!!

Second & Third time this happened was March 2014 when my children and grandchildren took a trip to Jay Peak in Vermont. My daughter (the same daughter from the previous incident) was driving up the mountain road when the van began to accelerate excessively while they were behind a car. This time the pedal did not stick to the floor and the cruise control feature was not used. Luckily with my son's quick reflexes, he reached over and put the van in neutral to avoid either hitting the vehicle ahead or crashing off the cliffside. At that point, they continued to their destination driving only 20 km/hr.

On the ride home my son drove, after stopping at a four-way stop, the van AGAIN accelerated excessively out of control, again with his quick thinking, he was able to place the vehicle in neutral to avoid hitting traffic. He pulled the van to the side of the road and shut the engine off and on and continued home with no more problems. I have yet to report this incident to my dealership because "they" will tell me that NOTHING is wrong because the computer said so... I am TERRIFIED of my Caravan!! I will NOT use my cruise control. I will NOT pass vehicles. I barely drive it now...

Reviewed June 27, 2014

I have had a lot of problem with the AC... the clutch has melted 3 times and then no air. Now I am having issues like the other person with the engine issue going over 40 mph and they told me the issue is the ENGINE MODULE has to be replaced and programmed.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We bought our vehicle February 21, 2014 with 22 some thousand miles. Before we had it 90 days, the transmission needed work and we realized the door hinge was broke. Dodge wouldn't fix the door because it was "wind damage" and that isn't covered. It came to us like that and we didn't break it. The Chevy dealership where we bought it ended up fixing it for us. It is a nice van but after the headache we have had, we will be trading it in for something that isn't a Dodge. Too many transmission and electrical problems before 23-1/2 thousand miles. We will never buy a Dodge again. This van shouldn't cost $20k for as cheap as it is.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Our 2012 Dodge Caravan with 50,000 miles has been a very good vehicle until the ABS light came on and cruise control quit. We took it to the nearest dealer and they said this happens "all the time" and they could not look at the problem for a few weeks and we should schedule an appointment. I hooked up a scan gauge to the OBD port and it returned a code that said the left rear wheel sensor was bad. I ordered a new sensor from Dodge and it cost 90 dollars. To change it, I had to remove the rear tire, take off the disc brakes caliper and rotor. I installed the new sensor and put it back together. Then I noticed the old sensor wire was worn through but I could not figure why at first. Something caused the wire to be pulled out of place and wear against the suspension system. I added 2 Ty-raps to keep the wire in place. It is fine now.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Electrical problems: Wiring shorted out, burned up most of wires, alternator, battery and who knows how many other things, computers, etc. (estimated over $1800.00). We cannot afford to fix it and still make payments. This is the third time something like this has happened since we bought the car in Dec. 2012.

CoverageStaff

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We were pulling out of a parking lot when the motor started making a grinding sound. We drove it straight home and the next morning took it to a local shop to have it checked out. They stated the screws that were holding the engine to the mount had been sheared off on one side and the engine had fallen onto the front axle. The screws on the other side were completely stripped and were also in the process of being sheared in half. The mechanic stated he felt this was due to the engine mount screws not being properly tightened at the factory. We took it to the local Dodge dealership and they stated they could not determine how this had happened because the screws were sheared off but they would not claim any fault. They also stated it would not be covered under our warranty because it's not part of the power-train.

The vehicle is only three years old and has less than 70,000 miles. To have the motor fall out while driving does not seem like standard wear and tear. The vehicle has never been involved in any kind of accident or collision and has had all the appropriate preventative maintenance as outlined by Dodge. I can't believe any self respecting company wouldn't automatically make the necessary repairs when the motor falls out of the vehicle. The dealership's mechanic stated he would "see what I can do for you", as if he's doing us a favor giving us a discount to fix the faulty vehicle his company made. To make matters worse I haven't been able to find a good contact for a complaint department at Dodge. I'm not upset at the dealership, they didn't make the van, but it's incredibly frustrating that they're doing nothing to help me when the problem is clearly a fault with how the van was made.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

My personal experience with the Dodge Grand Caravan is you just don't know whats wrong even knowing the code. Then I hear, read of people spending hard-earned money on parts trying to fix a simple problem. One guy's problem with the dealer almost made me cry concerning a PCM, he spent a small fortune and still had issues. I truly believe these car was built in a way to milk the knowledgeable dry. Good luck out there.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

So where do I start, I need to vent and release. The day I bought my first new minivan I was thrilled and excited. They have came such a long way and decided to trade in my SUV. First mistake!!! I am mainly writing because we have been dealing with dealerships with no solutions in sight. I would like to know if there are any other people out there with similar issues?? Months after we purchased our van began blowing cold air when it was set to hot.... Unable to duplicate. Months later same issue and unable to duplicate.... It took me driving home off of nights 40 minute drive -30 c outside and waiting at dealership until it opened. I left my vehicle running not willing to turn off because I wanted them to see that it was a real issue. They replaced HVAC system. Weeks later issue started again. Months later still unresolved and they are wanting to replace HVAC system again. Really people!!!!

Second issue, Camshaft replaced at 115000 kms. Third issue, Radio changing on own as well as windows rolling down on own. Unable to duplicate. Brakes front and back replaced under 30000 kms. Final straw, accelerator sticking 2 separate occasions. First time while passing on a 2 way highway. It had happened all so fast and when brake was hit it had stopped. All we could think was "did this really just happen???" Yep!!! It did. Because it happened again and it was a very scary incident trying to merge on 401 vehicle revving so high that it was floored foot not on gas, no cruise control and 2 not 1 but 2 transport trucks beside me.. I had shifted into neutral (thank God I had the brain to) and pulled over turned off vehicle and calmed down.... I am at the end of my patience. This vehicle has SERIOUS issues. Consumers BEWARE!!

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2014

Got problems with the battery light coming on and the van stops totally shut down. So my Husband thought it needed a battery. He purchased one, same problem keeps happening. Is there anyone with any answers - please help!