Dodge Charger

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My 2008 Dodge Charger's engine started knocking for no reason even though I keep up with the maintenance & repairs like clockwork & only drive the car in summer. Research shows many have same issue.

I went to a big local Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership and the most skilled sales guy sold me a new Dodge Charger car that turned out to have many open safety recalls from the Dodge manufacturer. I am a female, I went by myself and under the high sales pressure, I signed all the papers and made the payment. Few days after the sale was done, I was contacted by the same aggressive sales guy who urged me to cooperate with him and bring back the brand new car to their service department to get it serviced and fixed to safety standards. Basically, I was defrauded on a new car that was not to be sold to me or anyone in the first place.

After that point, I was given the biggest run-around, especially when I let them know that all I want at that point is to cancel out the sales deal and get my money back since the car has all these safety hazard issues and they had it back in their property and they wouldn't tell me if it's safe for me to drive it again. Since it is a brand new car, it is supposed to have bumper-to-bumper protection from the Dodge manufacturer. So, weeks turned into months and all the sales people I dealt with during the sales process just avoided addressing my concerns, answering my calls, and telling me when I can get my money back. They claimed that they can't help me out if they can't locate where the car was. They treated me as an inconvenience and would not do the right thing and just refund the money since they took possession of the car anyway 2 days after the sale was done.

They would not honor the manufacturer warranty and the service contract because the greedy sales people were negligent and lost track of the car after selling it to me knowing that it has safety defects. Lack of cooperation and malicious negligence is all the service recovery that I got from the folks at the dealership. The sales department would transfer me to the service department, and vice versa. No one seems to know what is going on with the car they sold me. They were very shady and secretive about it as if they were going to lose their jobs if they disclosed to me what is wrong with the new car they sold me. In the meantime, they have overdrafted my bank account after they withdraw large sums of monies from my checking account, so I was left with no money to hire a lawyer to sue them for my loss and damages and all the inconvenience and stress thereafter. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

For the past year my car shuts off periodically while I am driving it. The last time I was going around a bend in the road lost all power and steering. Was barely able to get to the side of the road. Luckily no one was coming the other direction because I went into the oncoming lane. Dodge keeps telling me it is throwing no codes and they cant get it to duplicate the problem so there is nothing they can do!!! WTH. Am I supposed to drive with my kids in the car until something does happen. Then what!!! Ugh so frustrated.

I have a 2008 Dodge Charger, and I have had nothing but issue with the car. I had to issue with the water housing unit, radiator, head gasket, and now my crankshaft (new engine).

I have <41k miles on my 2014 Dodge Charger AWD SXT. It developed a front vibration when braking. On July 9, 2016, I took it for service to Golling Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Bloomfield Hills, MI. The service department diagnosed warped & rust pitted rotors along with worn pads (same write-up for all 4). In addition, the pitting was so deep that machining would cause the thickness to be below the lower limit. I drive this vehicle daily in rush hour traffic. I do NOT race or drive on a high-speed track. I'm very concerned the vehicle has warped & rust pitted rotors (all 4) at such low mileage. I deduce the rotor material is substandard. I okayed the work for the front pads and rotors only. Has there been any technical service orders issued against the rotors? More than concerned.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge?

We have had to replace the motor $10,000! Also the ignition which was $600 which we got back because of the recall. The brakes and struts have been a constant issue... $1600 spent on that so far. We had to replace the battery and alternator $600. The moon roof now leaks. Now there is an airbag recall. We have put $12,200 in this car and have owned it less than 2 years. I know it's used but this is ridiculous! Replacing the motor at 130k miles!

I bought my 2008 Dodge Charger new off the lot and always kept the maintenance up to part and never had problems with my car until my engine locked up with oil in the car. Took the car to the dealership to see what the problem was and it was due to sludge. I have researched this issue and it happens in way too many chargers and Chrysler is not wanting to fix the problem. I have a warranty on my engine and Chrysler still wouldn't fix my car. There has to be something done about this!!

Purchased my 2013 Dodge Charger off a local lot in Bakersfield. Loved driving the car... No issues, regular maintenance. Was driving car and car came to a sudden stop while accelerating on highway. Was stuck in traffic. Car would not shift into neutral to push off of road. All cluster lights were on. Very scary with children in the car. Called a tow truck and had it delivered to Dodge. Now we wait. Car only has 40000 miles on it and should be covered under power train warranty. Very sad to see so many issues with Dodge/Chrysler products.

I've had my '08 Dodge Charger for 8 yrs. I bought it new. I've always taken care of my car. Any & all problems I take care of them right away, but now the mechanics can't pinpoint what's the problem. My car lost power twice. The 2nd time I had to be towed & after the tow truck put her down it started up like nothing so that was $280 down the drain. I had a diagnostic tests. Gave a code P4020 so I had the driver side catalytic converter changed, but the code is still there. The engine light comes on & off, took it to Dodge. They want me to leave it and said it will be $130 an hr bc they have to do a detail diagnostic test so NO I did not leave it.

I'm having so many issues & I'm frustrated. I love my car. I can't afford a car payment. Now this morning the radio is out. I hate driving my car because I don't know when it will just give out. Dodge you know the issues we are having. Stop trying to drain our pockets and make better cars and fix the issues that you know Dodge lovers are having.

2015 dodge charger rt - First oil change at 10k, the oil filter was in bypass and leaking oil around the filter. This is the first year of switching from the traditional mopar 899 filter which is larger.

Bought a 2012 Charger in November of 2011. Within 6 months had to have the radio and electrical system replaced. It has had 6 recalls so far. I only have 27,000 miles on it. Take it to the dealership for regular maintenance I had to replace tires after 20,000 miles. 2 weeks ago, it sounded like it was going to stall and I couldn't get it into gear or shut it off. Finally was able to and had it towed to dealership. They said it was the alternator, had it replaced. The air bag light would come on and they said it was the electrical harness. I complained to Dodge and they didn't charge me for the part, but I had to pay 280.00 for labor only to find out a few days later that the harness was already replace in 2013 due to a recall.

I sent in a reimbursement form to the FCA and they called and said they would not reimburse me since the dealer gave a good will receipt for the part. Also, 2 days after I got it home, the MIL light is on and the remote start won't work either. I haven't been able to get it back to the dealership, since I don't have any other transportation and they are going to charge me over 100.00 just to diagnose the problem. I am so fed up and will never buy another Dodge again.

I have 2015 Charger R/T premium. All R/T Chargers are standard with Sport Mode 2 which has SRT pages. But after I bought car the pages disappeared and Dodge was suppose fix it but now getting runaround and say I'm not suppose have Sport Mode 2 it's only available in SRT package. You look on build your own Dodge and all R/T are standard with Sport Mode 2. So I need help getting a national recall on all of these cars so we get the option back because it's advertised with it in our cars and we paid for these SRT pages. I have dealer printouts showing I do have Sport Mode 2.

Drove my 2013 Dodge Charger RT to work, no problems. It rained heavy while at work. Started car after work. Traction control, airbag light, and transmission error (Check engine light) came on. Could not get car to change out of fear. RPM would not level. Has anyone had this problem?

I have a 2014 AWD SXT Charger with 14k miles on it (which I love), feel like I am being completely lied to by dealer. The car was always in RWD unless road conditions were such that it would auto shift to AWD. Up until a couple weeks ago... Now it stays in AWD and never reverts back. I was told temp under 70 would cause that... I am not technician but I know that isn't right. I will be taking it to a private auto tech to get this investigated. It's under warranty and bet it is why they are telling me there is nothing wrong.

I have a 2009 Dodge Charger. It has been a wonderful car for four years and now that I have paid it off and reached 135,000 the car is starting to lose power. I have lost power several times on the highway at a speed of 60 or more. I don't know what is the problem and can't seem to get answers...

Some small details and annoyances - had the same O2 (oxygen) sensor replaced twice under warranty, Bluetooth module replaced, squeaky dash, 18" wheels w/ clearcoat that scratches pretty easily, and a couple small things - but as far as reliability and overall performance and enjoyment of the vehicle? That's been great. Plenty of power, pretty good quality materials inside and out, runs strong, shifts well, gets pretty good highway gas mileage (25-27mpg with a Hemi V8!), it looks great, and the maintenance on it so far has been pretty simple and not very expensive over the first 30,000 miles. Very happy with it so far. I am not disappointed at all with my purchase.

I purchased a used 2011 Dodge Charger in 2012. I have had nothing but issues since after having the car for 6 weeks. The 1st issue was the headlight. I drove the car and opted to not pay for the repair because there was already a recall on certain models. It was eventually recalled. The next issue was the door handle. It was recalled and fix. The 3rd issue, I was driving to work at 6a in pouring rain. My car completely turned off with no power at all. I had to pay to have the car towed. I then paid to have alternator replaced. The alternator was eventually recalled and Dodge reimbursed me.

I'm now having an issue as in gears are not automatically shifting. I took it to Dodge and was told there was an update that needs to be done. The update fix the issue for 4 days. I have the same issue again. Keep in mind I have had the car towed twice and 2 weeks. I'm going to probably have to tow the car again. It's ridiculous to have all these issues. I should have went with a camry, Altima, maxima, or Honda. I know next time. My dodge neon didn't have all these issues.

Purchased a 2013 Dodge Charger R/T with barely over 17,000 miles. It now has 45,000 miles and several days ago I noticed smoke coming from the hood and coolant pouring from the front of the car. My water pump already went out along with the thermostat. Water pump is covered under power train warranty but the rest is not, making it a couple-hundred dollar problem with cost of labor included. Mostly just an inconvenience, but I've stumbled upon a few similar posts with dodge chargers regarding issues with the water pumps going out. Supposedly, a few spark plugs are already out as well, and the car isn't even close to docking 100,000 miles. Did not expect this with a fairly new car, and a bit disappointed to be honest. Hoping this is the last of the issues with it for a while. I really love this car, the smoothness of how it drives, and its sharp look. I just don't want it to become a pain in the ass.

I have a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T with 131k miles on it. I've had it for about 2 years and have done extensive work on it to make it look much better than it was stock. Needless to say I get compliments almost every time I drive it. I've only had one issue concerning my vehicle which was when my Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) started shorting out and that was (I believe) due to the massive amount of electrical additions and wiring I've done under the hood. Take care of this car well and it will take care of you.

The engine on my 2006 dodge charger started knocking and making noise, took it to the automotive shop. They say I need a new engine, also I had transmission issues, the car jerking and brake issues.

2011 Dodge Charger. Went from loving this car to hating it. Just over 3 yrs old (bought new in Mar 2012) and it seems every week there's something else not working on it. Took it in yesterday to have blind spot detection diagnosed, the dealer said it probably needs a new harness and sensors to the tune of $2500. The dash has rattled in this thing since I bought it and the dealer said it was just a loose clip under dash. It was not. In twice for that and now no warranty so now have to live with that.

The steering makes a groan in the column which I also live with now coz they couldn't fix it. The trunk switch has also been replaced at my expense and guess what? Today the engine lights on. I bought this car new and also 2014 Ram which I'm happy to report is starting to rust after one winter. I bought these vehicles with the intention of having worry free driving for 5 yrs with the expectation of having replaced brakes and tires. Very disappointed with these vehicles and doubt I will buy another Chrysler. It was definitely assembled in Canada but the components they assemble with are subpar.

My 2007 Dodge Charger rt has 93,333 miles and it the motor has to be rebuilt! After tender loving care our car has failed us! I should say Dodge failed us by producing bad Heimi engines. When I attempted to start the engine, it sounded like a belt broke. It was the piston shattering inside cylinder number 4!!! Last year I had to replace several sensors like the electronic throttle control, oil sending unit and crankshaft sensor. Very costly!!! Before the engine failed last Thursday, the charcoal canister is clogged from a flaw gas tank design.

Supposedly that would have nothing to do with the engine failure. I did some research and it has happened to another individual and involved the same cylinder. Is it coincidental??? I don't think so!!! I contacted Dodge and all they can say, is that there is no recalls and involving that type of issue. The only recall is involving the seat belt and air bag system. I hope they don't expect us to believe that. We need to band together and file a class action lawsuit against Dodge for producing defective cars, motors, etc. and force them to produce quality instead of quantity. Our money is good, would you agree? Call me at ** if you want to start a suit against Dodge corporation.

I purchased my son a new Dodge RT in 2008. He has only 56,000 miles on the car as of 2015. The car is already having motor problems and 2 or more recalls. Recalls are not fixed in a timely manner. You have to call dodge to find out about any recalls. They do not notify you about the recalls. I would not recommend this car for to my worst enemy. It's a beautiful car on the outside but so ugly under the hood (motor). NO GOOD!

I have 2014 Dodge Charger bought 11 months ago. Heater on driver side will heat. Called dealer where I bought and was told tech would return my call. That was 2 weeks ago and not heard from them! Bought at All American Dodge, Midland, TX.

2008 Dodge charger - Wow! After reading the same complaints about this model vehicle losing power while driving. This is overwhelming. I haven't heard of this complaint from anyone else until logging on here. It happened to me again this evening. Thank God I had just got off the fwy! I immediately called the dealer for them to tell me that he couldn't think of anything off the top of his head. Something definitely has to be done before someone dies! This is DANGEROUS!!

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger and seem to always have it worked on. Every recall they has come out has happened to my car. Melted wires in the front headlight was the first problem. This happened before the recall so the warranty covered it. Car almost caught on fire when the alternator went. The driver's side heat sensor went out, the air recirculation function works maybe 10 percent of the time. All this happened before 50,000 miles. And this week the fuel pump went out at 55,000 miles, $850. What a piece of crap. Tried to talk to someone at Dodge and the live chat told me there is no person that I can call and talk with. I will never buy a Dodge again. My first and last Dodge product.

I bought my brand new 2014 Charger RT in 02/2015. After 3 months check engine light was on. I brought it to dealership. They said it's engine problem and they replaced 1 of the cylinder - took like 2 months get it back. Now it's only 14000 mileage and check engine light is on again. Hope it's not same failure.

I have a 2014 Charger R/T with the 5.7 Hemi. I've had the car a year now and it has just over 18k miles on it. It has now been to the dealer three times for what sounded like a "lifter" issue when I start the engine. Cold or hot and if it sat for a while or not, I would get this noise every so often. The first two times the dealership replaced lifters and tappets on both sides of the engine. As I was leaving with my "repaired" car after the second trip, I noticed that the engine was still making a "ticking" sound like it was low on oil. I never left the lot with it and gave it right back to them. That was on a Monday and by Thursday of that week I had not heard from the dealer, so I called them. What a waste of a quarter that was... I asked the condition of my car, and what they had found, and I was informed that they did not know what the problem was, and they were waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.

Let me rewind here for a moment and explain that the service manager informed me that the noise I was hearing was and I quote "that Hemi sound..." Well, that Hemi sound ended up being the lifters and tappets. TWICE... The issue I have is when a dealership wants to talk to a customer like they have zero knowledge regarding any given problem is that instead of trying to educate a customer, they talk down to them. Not a good idea... I have rebuilt quite a few engines in my time from stock to full blown race engines, and I admit that I may not know about the latest and greatest engine diagnostic equipment, but I do know what a Hemi sounds like and I do know what a bad lifter and not enough oil getting into the top end of an engine sounds like.

I bought my 2013 Charger into the dealership SEVERAL TIMES because the electrical was acting funny. Each time, they said it was the radio or some module and kept having to replace it. But it keeps doing the same thing. I have even been locked in my car. My electrical keeps shorting out my battery and damaging things. Last night it was flashing and radio acting funny and I could smell a electrical cooking type of smell. Then I lost all control and had to drift into oncoming traffic through a neighborhood and use a curb to stop. MY 2 year old son was with me. I was told by the dealership to call the manufacturer that it's probably a lemon. When I tried to get the number NO ONE would give it to me. 2 and half years and this thing is UNSAFE TO DRIVE.

Have a 06 Dodge Charger.. Beautiful car to look at but a piece of crap to drive. Nothing but a headache for the last 5 years. I've replaced the shifter, rocker panel, water pump, alternator twice. SMH. Timing belt, idler pulley. Just today had the radiator and thermostat replaced and the ** still dropping coolant. WHAT THE HELL DODGE!!! You think we are made of money. I feel like driving it off a damn mountain. Not fair at all. There should be some kind of lawsuit against Dodge. If I knew then what I knew now never would have bought this piece of crap!!! Good luck to whoever buys a Charger. Hope you're rich. SMDH!!!

Dodge Charger Company Profile