1.91/5
Based on 117 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Dodge Charger

The Dodge Charger is an iconic muscle car that was first introduced in 1964. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

118 Dodge Charger Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased a 2016 Dodge Charger that is in excellent condition. The look of it is breathtaking. Looks just as it is, sports car, but also family car. The vehicle will make anyone's neck turn. It's sexy! I purchased it in 2017 at CarMax which I suggest anyone who is thinking of purchasing a vehicle to consider going by there. The vehicle is a four door model that has a lot of space so is great for a family of four, even five. But I would change the feature that beeps when you back up into a backup camera. And would also change the feature that has the Bluetooth only into DVD player as well as the Bluetooth because sometimes my cell phone dies due to me forgetting to grab a charger from my house or even having issues paying attention to the road while trying to locate a song I want played from YouTube or Pandora.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I'll just sum this up. I've paid almost double the amount I originally cost! But since it's paid for I'm sticking with it (2013 Dodge Charger Daytona Black), however when I get it out of the shop THIS TIME I will only drive it occasionally.

Dodge Charger 118 Reviews (with Ratings) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 3, 2018

I leased my 2018 Dodge Charger in November of 2017. After putting a little over 5000 miles on it the transmission started to slip. Initially, Chrysler changed the valve body thinking that might do the job, unfortunately it did not. Days after the valve body was replaced I was still getting the hesitations between gears and the slipping. I took it back into my local Chrysler dealer and they had to replace the entire transmission. Again, I have only about 6000 miles on the Charger at this point. The transmission was replaced mid April and after it was replaced the car has not driven the same.

I feel like I have an overall loss of power and the transmission is still jumpy. I took it back to Chrysler to tell them I am still unsatisfied with my practically brand new Dodge Charger and the service advisors are telling me nothing is wrong with the car yet I am the one who drives in 100+ miles a day and experience the issues. I do not know what to do about the issue. If anyone has had the same issue please let me know. Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The 1969 Dodge Charger is the one of many cars I own. It starts and runs at a drop of a hat. It is stylish and while it's not a luxury car it rides and performs very well. Plenty of ponies under the hood. Very reliable in any situation. The only drawback is gas mileage 10 mpg city. Will keep this car forever and it never needs smogged.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Dodge Charger - Great car to drive. However, uses a large amount of gas and at times difficult to parallel park. But performance is great, smooth ride, sleek appearance, always looks personable and can be utilized as a professional automobile.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Charger?

Original review: April 18, 2018

I purchased this Dodge Charger SXT V-6 3.5HO new in 2005, it has 225,000 miles on it and it is still an awesome vehicle. Biggest problem was at 198,000 the Front Suspension (Ball Joints, both sides) had to be replaced. The biggest gripe I have is that the environmental controls (Heat/AC Controls) are not lit up and hamper adjustments at night. A $27K car that has no console lights for the Heat/AC? That is a minor irritant, but the car is really a good one, one of my best owned!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased 2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 in October 2017, the vehicle recently caught on fire. I only had this vehicle only 6 months when it caught on fire. Upon catching on fire there were no warning or signs before. What happen was that there were cloud of black smoke entering the vents of car and two minutes later my car went into flames. I contacted Dodge. There hasn't been any type of dialog between Dodge and I. They said there were investigator/claims specialist going to contact me, nobody has. I originally reached out Dodge March 29 and followed up with them on April 4. The customer service associate said he didn't have any information regarding my car, he said the adjuster closed my ticket and he wasn't able to look at the notes. I just wanted information regarding my car.

Original review: March 7, 2018

My husband purchased me a 2018 Dodge Charger for my birthday. Beautiful car only 63 miles on it. About 1 month in a little over 2,000 miles my transmission went out without any warning. It is in the shop now for repairs. I am so disappointed and disgusted with this vehicle. We will see once it's out the shop what happens. Any advice on what I need to do?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I bought my Dodge Charger brand new in 2014... This past year in 2017 my Dodge Challenger was engulfed in flames. My car was a total loss. The insurance company determined after their investigation the cause of the fire was the engine. After my own research other people have reported the same issues even while driving their cars... My car was sitting parked when my car caught on fire. It was sitting 2hrs...when I heard a explosion. Dodge needs to have a class action suit against them and replace everyone cars.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My 08 Dodge Charger with 70,000 miles on it needed a transmission mount replacement. I had to replace a few sensors. I replaced the hood compartment belts 2 times. I replaced the spark plugs, rotors, gas cap, and the exhaust. And the computer that controls the entire car malfunctioned. And the airbags, and ignition switch were recalled. All this cost me around $6,500 on top of what I paid for the car. I tried to sell it, but no one will offer more than $1,000 for it. I'd rather junk it than give it for that little, because it still has a thousand problems. After this experience, I'll never buy an American car again, because they are made of trash.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I bought a 2006 Dodge Charger less than 1 year ago with about 80,000 miles on it. I have did the basic oil change and upkeep on maintenance. I got in my car on Tuesday. Let it warm up for a few minutes then I drive off and I notice my car won't move faster than 40 mph. I get home and let it rest, the next day I let it warm up for 30 mins before I pulled off, hopped on the highway and the same problem. So I go to my mechanic and he says it's a transmission computer issue. I went online and see many people have this same issue with this same car. I contacted Dodge to complain and they seem uninterested in fixing a known issue with these cars.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

This is my second Charger rt max. I absolutely love these cars, it's fast, stylish, and comfortable. I see these horror stories, but unless you totally just beat the crap out of it or not the first original owner there should be no issues. IS there such thing as a perfect car? ABSOLUTELY NOT, and there isn't going to be either. I never buy used, and I suggest to those reading don't because you are buying someone else's garbage. They beat on it, wrecked it, cant pay for it, and drove it like they stole it. I have had some very minor issues, nothing that wasn't covered under warranty, I opted out of the extended when I bought the car as it comes with the standard 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper.

If you keep the car for that entire time then purchase an aftermarket one. Thats what the warranties are for. I once had an electrical issue with my first Charger and after taking it back 3 times with the same issue and dealer couldnt figure it out, I called corporate. They were the best, they had a started work on the vehicle and he was able to fix what the regular shop mechanics couldnt, even though they had it for almost a month, it was fixed. Again there is no such thing as a perfect car so get that idea out of your head. I also had a brand new Toyota Tundra platinum loaded, 12 miles on it at purchase sold it back after 6 mos. Nothing but electrical problems. Just to show another end of the spectrum here for all the "I'm gonna buy a Toyota cause they are so good" people. Hope this helps, just maintain the vehicle and dont beat the crap out of it, love it, take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I bought my 2006 Black Dodge Charger RT 4 Door in 2006 from local dealership in FWB, FL. I have the oil changed every 3k miles, had new tires put on. My car has had a couple of recalls. Nothing major. Air bag, and a few other things. All covered under RECALL. I have not had any issues with my car, like a lot of people I have read has had. I take very good care of it. And it has made it through a 100 year flood which water surpassed the door handles while in my garage. It has made it through 2 Hurricanes. And 3 hail Storms. No damage. It is 11.5 years old and so far, going strong. Proud to be driving it.

I just recently drove a BMW 2016 for 3 weeks while my son's vehicle was being repaired. He hit a cement pole in his (Dodge Ram 1500, 2007, also very good vehicle), (he is too young to drive rental car from insurance, so I drove it and let him drive my car to and from work and school, while truck being repaired). BMW drives like a dream. I would seriously considering buying one until I looked up the maintenance and compared over a 10 year period with other cars and it was the no. 1 problematic vehicle and the most expensive to repair if you add up all the repairs (on average). So, I guess I'll keep my sweet Dodge Charger until it starts giving me problems or until it needs a new motor. I guess I will buy a new car at that time. Good luck to all of those who own a Dodge.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Side panels are so soft that when washing the car the sides cave in with just a little pressure that I apply with the sponge. Door panels are folding inward on all 4 doors and this thing is only 3 years old. Too many recalls on this piece of crap and now the transmission is rattling like crazy and the dealer pretends to have never heard of any transmission problems with these vehicles. They have my car and said they would let me know on Monday if it's covered by the drivetrain warranty. Of course it's covered by that warranty you morons. It's part of the drivetrain. I will follow up after I return to the dealership on Monday.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I bought my wife a new 2016 Dodge Charger Sxt 3.7 v6 with like 8 miles on it back in Nov 201Oklae drove 4-1/2 hours one way to get "THAT" car. May 3 2017 @ 5:09 pm CST in Oklahoma, I had pulled into my driveway to find my wife's car on fire. Flames were coming out of the front driver wheel well and threw the hood same side. It was like a blow torch was running full bore. I bust the front door to find my wife and get her outta the house as the car was close by in the entrance of carport. Called 911 got fire department on the.

By the time they got there the car fully engulfed and my buddy's wife had come over to check on my wife (as I was at the end of the road waiting for fire trucks to follow me to the house) and had used my garden hose to put the fire out on my house. Very grateful she was able to come to our house. The fire was put out. No one was hurt. people have came to look at the car but have not gave clear answer as to what caused it. And have more people coming to look at it. As it stands it still sits where it burned. Apr 17 2017.

Original review: April 19, 2017

My Husband could have lost his life on the highway when his Dodge cut off. Only to find out they was going to charge us over $10,000 for a new Engine up until they found out we had a Warranty. This is when the Insurance Co. got involved and wanted the Engine broken down. Further after finding the timing belt should have been replaced to ensure my husband wasn't at fault further investigation from Victory Dodge yielded that an ex-employee from Keffer Dodge yrs earlier (we didn't own the car- it was in auction) signed off on the timing belt recall (yet didn't complete the work) which busted which caused total Engine Failure. Claim from Insurance CO. was denied so Keffer Dodge was responsible for the new engine.

Needless to say I twittered the incident, got Dodge Corp from MI involved and stating also they were doing everything to prevent this from happening again as well as customer satisfaction. Never once did I feel The Dodge Corp Give any thoughts or matter to hat day "Dec 23rd 2016" on HWY 17 when My husband was on the HWY & could have been Killed along with his father, who would have thought to look at the car??? And to have read an Article in Hot Rod Magazine that Dodge put up a big fuss about the whole timing chain recall mess and it wasn't till yrs later that they fessed up to them taking responsibility for it.

This Corp. just in my opinion should take a look in the mirror and put themselves in place of one of us how would they feel? How can we hold these Corporations responsible for such acts as what happened here? I know my husband and father are okay. How about the next guy or family? Or about the Lives they fail to take responsibility for because it was "following protocol" to rebuild the engine with the old engine parts and take the warranty down from 3 Yrs now till 2.

So now Long story short and lie after lie- from the three involved I wrote our State Attorney General's Office- Still Pending- It began on Dec 23 and it is now April 18 it was nearly a week ago when we got the Charger back for the second time. The initial time it was not a new engine, it was a rebuilt block with the blown parts off my husband's busted old engine. It was shaking, misfiring, leaking, so bad it misaligned his hood to where it would not shut. Back in the shop it went. I instructed them not to touch it that we had already discussed unless from day one the new engine was in it now look what happens. They were put on notice prior to them initially telling us to pick the car up that we contacted the Attorney General office and here again we have the car and are still awaiting the outcome of what's to become of such a nightmare.

Please also Beware of a Highway Officers Patrol Car "Also A Dodge Charger" Caught Fire under the hood as it was on the Highway in Wyoming the story caught my daughter's eye- unbelievable. "Never heard what happened in the Investigation." Only that the Highway Officer was okay. But this is the messed up part: the Machanic at the Victory Dodge's as well as the Service Management stated though they couldn't be responsible for the law-enforcement vechicles being they have their own mechanics who work on their vehicles which voids any liability/warranty we were the first Civilian's who had a cover up recall come through that shop. Not sure what he meant by that but seconds later he starts to tell me about a list of Dodge Vechiles on a list with serious recalls- in which he later gave me a copy of- Shocking "some life/death recalls".

The Chysler 200 has a Serious recall. I'm the CO-Signer for a family member. It also holds a serious recall which has deaths occurred and lawsuits because of it- the Airbags not only is it a Recall but they are on such back order. It's just ridiculous! So what are these people suppose to do? Told my family member to get a rental and park it. Have Dodge pay for it until they get the recall part in. In any situation with any vehicle- especially used off a lot- always check it with the dealer's system for recalls and having it look over by another dealership would be a bad idea either- and always ever 6 months check you're cars recalls against the Vin #. There should be a web site available just google.

You can't trust Dealers no more than you can trust a thief- I say that as well being too that the same Dealership done work on my 2011 Dodge Ram which claimed to have resurfaced the roaters as well as new breaks ropes out my dash some work on the Air conditioner well $24,00 later and come to find out no reserfaced rotors, crossed my heated seats, messed up my bezel, oil light on, insulation coming up from my dash had to get all that taking car of yet still after sending my husband up there a week of being gone on the road "trucker" he comes back tired not paying attention yet gives them the list- my dash hasn't been fixed- oil light still on- Bless my husband's Heart. I have to give him An A for his efforts. He was so exhausted that day.

Needless to say we disputed $12,00 of the bill w/ the credit card company- no response was made to our dispute- case closed refunded our dispute for half our bill &12,00 and the Dealership replace the damaged they caused to the bezel and gave me new rotors they charged me for which claimed was resurfaced and was not. I never had a problem when this was Nabor Dodge yet once it became Victory Dodge it fell apart. Never even heard of Keffer Dodge until this whole incident with my husband's car yet can speak too highly of them either or of the Dodge Corp in MI altogether. Everyone please be safe out there!

Original review: April 17, 2017

I have wanted a Charger forever, but if I knew now what I didn't know then, I would label these junk! Just to think I was a Dodge fan until I seen how much they refuse to help their clientele. I bought a 2006 Charger a couple months ago, and I can't even drive it now due to the toe leaning in from the plastic bushings on my rear end. My fear is the whole camber may be screwed, because my 2 back tires are all metal on the insides. We've already replaced control arms, engine and transmission. Now I am having to replace the complete suspension. Not just the bushings, but the shocks, tires again, possibly the camber depending on the damage done.

I have read several people having the same issues with the suspension and bushings. It's not a cheap fix because we not only fork out 400 for parts, but we have to pay the mechanics hour rates, and this stuff is petty and time consuming. How can you not help out your consumers to keep your future business. I am praying you issue more recalls for all the hassle with the suspension, and learn to value your customers. Dodge if you fix these issues we're all facing this can help you in the future, and it should give you insight on how to make a durable vehicle!

Original review: March 31, 2017

Hello all, I have a 2010 Dodge Charger and at low speeds like under 20mph the cars feels like it want to stall. It has actually cut off of me twice in the last 2 months. I took my car to the dealership and advised of this issue and they thought it was the ERG seal and valve. They replaced it and it's still doing the same thing. I did some research and on Dodge forums. I see that this car does this and the dealership act as if they don't know the issue. Today my check engine light came on as it do randomly and turns back off. Do this sounds familiar to anyone or have know someone who works on dodge chargers? I don't want to keep getting weaseled out of money by the dealership.

Original review: March 16, 2017

The car is very cheaply made. We bought the car brand new 2013 Dodge Charger and since day one we've had nothing but problems. We've to replace seatbelts, alternators, and now today the check engine light comes on and the gas tank won't open anymore. The car only has 70000 miles and isn't the main car. Yet we've had to work on it more than the one we actually drive. We won't be buying anymore Dodge vehicles. If it's not a recall it's always something else.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I bought my 2012 Charger in 2013 as a second owner, the car had 22,000km on it when I purchased it along with an extended warranty for 7 years/170,000km. I've only had basic issues with the car, all covered by warranty, such as faulty battery, pulley for the belt drive, a caliper bracket, etc.The biggest issue I had was in the summer of 2016 when my car started shaking like crazy while sitting at a red light, CEL came on, checked it out online, turned out it was a misfire in cylinder 6. I called the dealership and was told to bring it in right away, they had the car for 3 days, swapped out the bottom half of the engine for a manufacture defect, totally covered by the warranty, it was actually on a recall for a lot of 2012 Dodge vehicles, so I'm pretty sure it would've been covered either way.

Since I've bought the vehicle, I've done a few mods on the car, such as; Catback true dual exhaust, with a cross flow. Mopar cold air intake. Diablo Trinity tuner. Full brake kit (Pads, Rotors, and Calipers). The car now has about 80,000km on it, always done the oil change before it needed to be done. Rust proofed it twice since I owned it, not a spot of rust on it (even the undercarriage). I deal with a dealership here in Quebec, St-Remi, called Lestage Chrysler and they are absolutely amazing when it comes to their clients, these guys would bend over backwards to help out a client.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

Got a 2007 Dodge Charger. I had custom rims and stereo system. As soon as I get the car almost paid for it fell apart. I replaced water pump axles, upper and lower ball joints and now I have a blown head gasket. Don't buy this car.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

My 2008 Dodge Charger's engine started knocking for no reason even though I keep up with the maintenance & repairs like clockwork & only drive the car in summer. Research shows many have same issue.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I went to a big local Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership and the most skilled sales guy sold me a new Dodge Charger car that turned out to have many open safety recalls from the Dodge manufacturer. I am a female, I went by myself and under the high sales pressure, I signed all the papers and made the payment. Few days after the sale was done, I was contacted by the same aggressive sales guy who urged me to cooperate with him and bring back the brand new car to their service department to get it serviced and fixed to safety standards. Basically, I was defrauded on a new car that was not to be sold to me or anyone in the first place.

After that point, I was given the biggest run-around, especially when I let them know that all I want at that point is to cancel out the sales deal and get my money back since the car has all these safety hazard issues and they had it back in their property and they wouldn't tell me if it's safe for me to drive it again. Since it is a brand new car, it is supposed to have bumper-to-bumper protection from the Dodge manufacturer. So, weeks turned into months and all the sales people I dealt with during the sales process just avoided addressing my concerns, answering my calls, and telling me when I can get my money back. They claimed that they can't help me out if they can't locate where the car was. They treated me as an inconvenience and would not do the right thing and just refund the money since they took possession of the car anyway 2 days after the sale was done.

They would not honor the manufacturer warranty and the service contract because the greedy sales people were negligent and lost track of the car after selling it to me knowing that it has safety defects. Lack of cooperation and malicious negligence is all the service recovery that I got from the folks at the dealership. The sales department would transfer me to the service department, and vice versa. No one seems to know what is going on with the car they sold me. They were very shady and secretive about it as if they were going to lose their jobs if they disclosed to me what is wrong with the new car they sold me. In the meantime, they have overdrafted my bank account after they withdraw large sums of monies from my checking account, so I was left with no money to hire a lawyer to sue them for my loss and damages and all the inconvenience and stress thereafter. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

For the past year my car shuts off periodically while I am driving it. The last time I was going around a bend in the road lost all power and steering. Was barely able to get to the side of the road. Luckily no one was coming the other direction because I went into the oncoming lane. Dodge keeps telling me it is throwing no codes and they cant get it to duplicate the problem so there is nothing they can do!!! WTH. Am I supposed to drive with my kids in the car until something does happen. Then what!!! Ugh so frustrated.

Original review: July 18, 2016

I have a 2008 Dodge Charger, and I have had nothing but issue with the car. I had to issue with the water housing unit, radiator, head gasket, and now my crankshaft (new engine).

Original review: July 9, 2016

I have <41k miles on my 2014 Dodge Charger AWD SXT. It developed a front vibration when braking. On July 9, 2016, I took it for service to Golling Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Bloomfield Hills, MI. The service department diagnosed warped & rust pitted rotors along with worn pads (same write-up for all 4). In addition, the pitting was so deep that machining would cause the thickness to be below the lower limit. I drive this vehicle daily in rush hour traffic. I do NOT race or drive on a high-speed track. I'm very concerned the vehicle has warped & rust pitted rotors (all 4) at such low mileage. I deduce the rotor material is substandard. I okayed the work for the front pads and rotors only. Has there been any technical service orders issued against the rotors? More than concerned.

Original review: June 26, 2016

We have had to replace the motor $10,000! Also the ignition which was $600 which we got back because of the recall. The brakes and struts have been a constant issue... $1600 spent on that so far. We had to replace the battery and alternator $600. The moon roof now leaks. Now there is an airbag recall. We have put $12,200 in this car and have owned it less than 2 years. I know it's used but this is ridiculous! Replacing the motor at 130k miles!

Original review: June 22, 2016

I bought my 2008 Dodge Charger new off the lot and always kept the maintenance up to part and never had problems with my car until my engine locked up with oil in the car. Took the car to the dealership to see what the problem was and it was due to sludge. I have researched this issue and it happens in way too many chargers and Chrysler is not wanting to fix the problem. I have a warranty on my engine and Chrysler still wouldn't fix my car. There has to be something done about this!!

Original review: May 27, 2016

Purchased my 2013 Dodge Charger off a local lot in Bakersfield. Loved driving the car... No issues, regular maintenance. Was driving car and car came to a sudden stop while accelerating on highway. Was stuck in traffic. Car would not shift into neutral to push off of road. All cluster lights were on. Very scary with children in the car. Called a tow truck and had it delivered to Dodge. Now we wait. Car only has 40000 miles on it and should be covered under power train warranty. Very sad to see so many issues with Dodge/Chrysler products.

Original review: May 26, 2016

I've had my '08 Dodge Charger for 8 yrs. I bought it new. I've always taken care of my car. Any & all problems I take care of them right away, but now the mechanics can't pinpoint what's the problem. My car lost power twice. The 2nd time I had to be towed & after the tow truck put her down it started up like nothing so that was $280 down the drain. I had a diagnostic tests. Gave a code P4020 so I had the driver side catalytic converter changed, but the code is still there. The engine light comes on & off, took it to Dodge. They want me to leave it and said it will be $130 an hr bc they have to do a detail diagnostic test so NO I did not leave it.

I'm having so many issues & I'm frustrated. I love my car. I can't afford a car payment. Now this morning the radio is out. I hate driving my car because I don't know when it will just give out. Dodge you know the issues we are having. Stop trying to drain our pockets and make better cars and fix the issues that you know Dodge lovers are having.

Dodge Charger Company Information