DieHard Batteries

• 1%
  • 33%
  • 66%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DieHard Batteries?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DieHard Batteries?
    Customer ServiceReliability

Reviewed May 14, 2024

I purchased DieHard car batteries for decades and never any problems. Purchased a Gold DieHard on 4-2-24. It failed today 4-14-24. Initially I had reservations as hydrometer test showed nearly red zone. I should have returned to the parts store then. I have from the beginning used hydrometer testing for decades finding it reliable. This new defective battery replaced a 5 year 7 month old DieHard bought in 2018. Fortunately I had not given up the old one to get core charge refund. This old one was made by Johnson Controls before they sold the battery division to Clarios. I blame Clarios. I decided not to return the item and battle the parts store as its rep for customer service is very mixed. This is a CLARIOS' problem. So now I will purchase a 3 year Walmart battery also made by Clarios. Fingers crossed.

Price

Reviewed April 4, 2024

Battery lasted less than 1 year. Charged it once 3 months after I bought it and the charge held for a few months. Then, it would not charge or work with a jump start. Took it to an auto part store to test, and it was dead. Piece of junk. Never again.

Get buying tips about Auto Parts and Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed March 29, 2024

I am on my first warranty replacement Diehard battery and it just died, so when I replace it tonight, that will make 3 batteries in three months. No warning, worked fine last night, dead this morning. I wish I had read the reviews instead of trusting the brand name. Like Craftsman tools, quality is a distant memory for these brand names.

Reviewed March 3, 2024

I bought this battery a few months ago because the battery was bad in a used car I bought. The car started 3 times, then shut off and I had to mess with the battery wires to get the car to start again. I thought it was bad ground in the car, so I sold it and bought another car, and it had the same problem. I realized it was this battery, and I am never buying a Diehard battery again.

PriceReliability

Reviewed Dec. 31, 2023

Since 2015 it has been my experience that vehicle batteries from Advance Auto (Die Hard battery label) have have demonstrated lower reserve capacity and higher internal resistance compared to previous years. Please check with Consumer Reports on vehicle battery performance in their life testing. Being a retired engineer and scientist I do have extensive equipment for vehicle battery testing, including calibrated internal resistance milliohm meter equipment and carbon pile load testers, as well as recording voltmeter equipment than can measure 1 millisecond transients.

An AGM battery purchased from Advance Auto failed in two years, Consumer Reports found that the same battery would not pass standard life testing. Advance replaced the battery under warranty. In another vehicle (2001 Trans Am Formula) new batteries from Advance Auto would not crank the engine as well as new batteries of the same ratings and Group number from another manufacturer. Alternator output voltage with Advance Auto batteries tends to be higher for longer compared to the same battery Group number from another battery manufacturer (this is not good).

In my opinion, VAVE and VEVA activity (manufacturing cost reductions) in the manufacturing of Die Hard batteries have been taken to the limit that will likely result in reduced reserve capacity and minimal reliability performance in high current demand applications such as V8 engine applications. I no longer purchase Die Hard vehicle batteries as their cost versus performance and lower reliability, in my opinion, is very high, compared to other vehicle battery manufacturers. Please research vehicle batteries in Consumer Reports and flooded lead acid battery design technical documents for your own edification. It is most important to understand why heavier batteries of the same group number and lower internal resistance typically indicates longer battery life.

Installation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2023

I purchased a DieHard battery from Advance Auto Parts in January 2021. I live in Tucson so cold weather is not a factor. It lasted three months. I took it and had a bad cell. Three months later, the new battery did the same thing. Every time they check my alternator everything is good. It’s a bad battery cell. Employee and Advance told me that they got a bad batch of DieHard batteries. I don’t understand why then they’re still selling them and replacing the bad batteries with another bad battery. Here it is November 2023. My warranty is expired and yet again the battery's no good. Will never purchase another DieHard or even purchase from Advance Auto Parts again. Apparently they now own Diehard! Just seems to me that the warranty should go from the last battery installed! Ticked off in Tucson!

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2023

I purchased a Diehard Gold battery for our 2001 Saturn on 4/3/2023. On 10/23/2023, it failed. A load test confirmed it was bad. There are few options when away from home, including trying to deal with a warranty, so it has a new Interstate battery now. I just took the car in to make sure that the charging circuit is OK, which it is. I've had many Diehard batteries since the 1960s, but this experience, along with many reviews I've seen, have convinced me that their quality has suffered a lot in recent years. It only takes one incident like this while out on the road to erase any brand loyalty.

Installation & SetupPrice

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2023

Purchased a Silver level DieHard battery on 7/29/21 which comes with a 2 year replacement warranty. In Jan. 2023 the battery died and was replaced with a new one. Today...August 6, 2023...the battery installed in Jan...only 7 months old...failed and I was told because the warranty only ran until 7/29/2023...2 weeks ago. How ridiculous is that? The battery was only 7 months old and they wanted me to pay full price for another just like it. DieHard was a premium quality battery when it was rep'd by Sears. Today they are junk. Why would I even consider another one?

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 3, 2023

I purchased a DieHard battery a year ago. Worked fine for everyday use. But now I have a company vehicle. I only drive my personal vehicle on the weekends. Every single time I go to start it, dead battery. I have checked and I don't have a drain. I also checked the alternator and it's good, just a crappy battery. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND anybody to purchase one. Die hard. More like die fast.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2023

My recent DieHard battery died in exactly two years. Suspicious to me, as my batteries always last 4-6 years. I only start the car an average of maybe 3.5 times a day. The battery was replaced under warranty, but if the next one lasts only two years, then I still haven't reached the lifespan of one good battery. Those batteries that lasted 4-6 years? Many DieHards! What's going on? A mechanic informed me that DieHard is not good anymore since Sears "died." Looked into it further. Advance Auto Parts acquired the DieHard brand on 12/23/2019. From then to the time of this review, all three reviews on ConsumerAffairs were one star. I will not be that harsh. I feel three stars is fair for two years. I simply hope DieHard and Advance Auto see these reviews, and will strive to improve upon their quickly diminishing reputation. Advance Auto, be better please! A Concerned Consumer

DieHard Batteries Company Information