4.00/5
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Last updated: March 28, 2018

29 DieHard Batteries Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 28, 2018

I found the experience very good. Knowing that I wanted a DieHard made it easier because I didn't have to look at others. It made it easier on the salesperson because they didn't have to show me a lot of different batteries to choose between. DieHard batteries are die hard. They last and last with minimal upkeep and are dependable. When starting my car, I want to know that when I put the key in it's going to start for sure. With DieHard batteries I feel secure knowing they work. The only thing is they are costly. I suppose it's better to spend it than throw good money after bad.

Original review: March 26, 2018

DieHard batteries have a good reputation and a good warranty. I got a good price at the auto parts store. This battery held a charge and always started the car. I like that this battery was maintenance free too. I like that it was self-contained and I did not have to add water. My overall experience was free of problems and the battery lasted a long time.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I like to buy DieHard batteries the one I can trust for a very long time. I always get this battery at my local Battery and Tire Shop. They are nice enough to put it in for me and check everything so I have the right stuff. My overall experience with this battery for the last 50 years has been positive and they last a long time. They are the one batteries I never have to worry about as an older person. I really depend on a good battery for my car. It would be a great idea to give a discount to seniors for this DieHard battery and that the batteries come in every car I own.

Original review: March 23, 2018

That battery is a very good. This is a brand that I know very well. I know that they are the best out there that I know. This is something I would buy when needed. And it is long-lasting. So try it. It not new but it works very well. It is something that been around for a long time. This is a done deal battery.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I purchased this battery for my Ford Explorer about a year ago and so far I have not had any issues with this battery. That may not sound like bells and whistles but I live in Missouri and with the extreme fluctuations of the weather especially this time of the year having a good reliable battery is very important. In other words, no issues is a very good thing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DieHard Batteries?

Original review: March 21, 2018

I really like DieHard Batteries. It's a high cranking amp battery. It has not failed to start my truck even in the coldest of temperatures. High heat have not caused it to fail neither. I am very pleased with it. I have left my lights on for hours and my truck still started right up. I like the reputation that the DieHard brand carries with it. Year after year it is a proven tough product that people have come to rely on. People like me who use their vehicle everyday for work and then for personal use as well. However, these batteries are still very pricey. They still remain some of the most expensive batteries on the market. I wish they would match other battery manufacturer's prices. I think a lot more people would switch batteries if they were more affordable.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Overall my experience DieHard Batteries was positive. It's generally long-lasting. I have one here in Texas and it's been great for 8 plus years and whenever I purchase a new car I make sure to purchase this brand. I did have one that went bad while living in Arizona. I think the heat took its toll, but I got it with a warranty so it was replaced free of charge.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My experience was fantastic. I received a warranty, the quality is fantastic, the price is unbelievable and available at just about any auto store. Top post and side post were available and accessible. Never any problems, DieHard knows exactly how to build a quality battery.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Bought batteries and other DieHard products when I needed something quick and reliable. Generally speaking, these are some of the only things I have found that are ready to 'plug and play'. They are dependable. Also, I have even searched for and found instructions on self-recycling of batteries and equipment to save money. This negates the problem of the initial payment of the battery and/or equipment. However, the most difficult part of a DieHard is the price. For many of us on an extremely tiny budget, the initial payment of a DieHard is the most frustrating part. If only I could have the dependability and reliability with a more affordable product line I would happily advocate for DieHard products for everyone.

Original review: March 17, 2018

An excellent car battery that I enjoy. I specifically like that they are long lasting and are durable for a car battery. A great battery for your vehicle. My overall experience was really good with the car battery. I would recommend it to others.

Original review: March 16, 2018

When the temperature dropped to around zero I was still able to start my car without much trouble. That means a lot around WV as it gets a lot of snowy weather. Nothing is worse than getting off work at midnight in zero degree with negative wind chill and find you aren't going to be going home. However, the cost is a bit higher than I would generally like to pay, but I'm kinda cheap most of the time. But the quality was worth the extra cost.

Original review: March 13, 2018

DieHard battery a good buy. I would not hesitate to buy another DieHard battery. It fixed the problem I was having with my vehicle at that time. It wasn't too terribly hard to install the battery either. I watched my friend do it for me. I did not have any battery problems with particular vehicle again after I had done that.

Original review: March 12, 2018

DieHard is a very good battery and it works for long time so you don't need to change for many years. It works well and smooth and don't need to expensive spare part. It's better compared to other companies.

Original review: March 11, 2018

It has always been an exceptional brand. Durable, long-lasting, and affordable. Nice sleek look... like the colors of black and gold. Aesthetically very pleasing to the eye... but more importantly than the way it looks I like that it's a good quality product. I like that DieHard has a great history and background and their reputation precedes them. I have always used them and will continue to do so. Always have gotten great amount of use out of their batteries before having to replace... I hope they continue to impress in the future.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I used DieHard Battey in my previous cars and it was always dependable. It was on sale at a convenient location and it was installed in my car without an appointment. The service was great and the people were easy to deal with. I enjoyed the experience and my dealings in the past have always been taken care of. I would recommend this type of battery to my family and friends.

Original review: March 8, 2018

DieHard battery is a really good and reliable battery that lasts a very long time without any issues or problems. It's a tough battery with awesome reviews on the sites that I looked at. Definitely one for long trips and extreme weather like severe snow storms! This battery won't disappoint! It's an awesome brand and I trust it completely! It's one of my favorite brands of battery and I highly recommend this brand!

Original review: March 6, 2018

On 02/14/2016 I purchased a Die Hard battery (with two years free replacement warranty) for my Honda CRV car (mentioning here at the time of this reviews car’s mileage read 38k.) During two years I noticed a poor performance of this battery and after three trips with the battery to the store I purchased, can prove my affirmation. On 11/16/2016 (11 months after date purchased) the car failed to start. After I evaluated the problem I took the battery to the store to check it. I spent there one hour waiting for them to test/recharge it.

Their result was “battery good condition”. Between 11/16/2016 and 01/04/2018 the battery failed to start my car another three or four times, situations when I decided to avoid another trips and waiting time consuming to the same store and recharged the battery myself using an Die Hard battery charger. On January 04/2018 the battery failed again to start my car and decided to bring the battery for the second time to the same store I purchased... at that time I suggested the store mechanic there may be something wrong with the battery that is keep losing charge after a while and special after happened many times. They said in order to replace it the battery need to be tested first.

After another one hour waiting they handled the battery to me and I noticed it was overheated which suggested me the battery was forced to recharge. I told the mechanic that the battery temperature is not a good sign and he told me not to worry since that is a normal (mentioning here at that time battery was still under ears with probably 4 to 5 weeks warranty left). In that condition (with the overheated battery) they still refused to admit there is something wrong with the battery. On March 05/2018 the car failed again to start. My wife called triple AAA company since I wasn’t home. The triple AAA person said battery is dead and need to be replaced.

I took the battery myself to the same store for the 3rd time and I told the mechanic there must be something wrong with the battery since it is losing the charge too quickly even if the car was sitting 2 days in a driveway. They said again battery needs to be tested... another hour waiting... finally a lady came and give me the “great” news battery failed to meet standards and told me “I need to purchase a new battery” since warranty expired one month ago. My point is this... battery was defective from the first day I purchased, or at least it failed prematurely.

Sears REFUSED to admit there was a issue with the battery even after the battery was forced to recharge at least 7 times during the first two years of use. Sears tried to “push” the time over the two years free replacement warranty JUST for the simple reason to tell me “is out of warranty, so we won’t be able to replace it”. At this point I decided to buy another brand. NOT Die Hard anymore and NOT from Sears anymore.

Original review: March 3, 2018

My overall experience with the DieHard battery brand has been positive. It's a very dependable battery. It always starts on the first try. Always giving sufficient power to all the car's electronic functions. Always a strong start up experience. Always excellent. It is completely able to work without my assistance in any way. It was easy to see how it works and it does complete the job it is assigned as ordered every time. It also doesn't leak like some batteries do in some cars. The only thing that I dislike about the DieHard battery is the price. It is expensive. It costs so much because it works so very well but it still may be a little over the budget of most car owners. Although it is definitely worth the purchase price.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have always purchased a DieHard Battery and never had any problems with it. It is very reliable and reasonably priced considering its superiority. The DieHard Battery has been very accommodating and long lasting and I don't have to worry about my battery going dead or my automobile starting.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2015

My son used my Toyota to haul. He broke down in Alabama. I am disabled, I have a lift gate and winch on truck. Billy thought that he would get the best battery. Handicapped, I cannot afford to break down. He bought a DieHard Gold - 1150 cranking amp, 3 year exchange, 300$, garbage. This went down in 18 months. I cannot go back to Alabama. I went to Sears Cortana in Baton Rouge La. They checked, 1 bad cell gone bad. They did not have this battery in stock. Salesman was not able to find transaction on computer. Now I am ** out of luck. We bought the toughest battery possible for truck from the best business, the best brand. Only Sears sells DieHard battery. Now I am out 300, NO EXCHANGE. What p**d me off was 3 Sears people watched while I loaded this heavy thing myself! Handicapped plates all over!! Bill Sears sucks!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2014

I purchase a Sears Diehard Battery Charger 18 months ago and only used it a few times before it failed. Customer Service dept. told me that the warranty is only good for 12 months, and that they cannot service it. I asked for a service manual, but I was told that there is no product information available. This is very poor product service for a large company that has had a good reputation for product serviceability. Most reliable companies back up their products with product information, part numbers, schematics, mechanical drawings, etc. for years after production. This is a very good reason why buyers should use caution in purchasing from Sears due to their new service policy.

Original review: July 2, 2014

I had my car battery change recently in April 19th 2014..and 'supposed' to be a good die hard battery. I was gone on vacation for 10 days and had to jump start my car upon returning and was told that my break light and the lights was turn on.... If this was the case I would have noticed it and I really don't know what the technician did to show me the light was kept on for 10 ten days .There is some dishonesty here. I never be back here again.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2010

Our Die Hard battery, which just turned 3 years old was losing charge. We needed to get to work so we rushed to our nearest Sears Automotive Service Center. My husband ran in to check the warranty and cost. I stayed in the car and organized my paperwork, and straightened up the dashboard area in my car. I put things away and made it neat. I put a rolled up receipt with a small personal financial note on it in the glove box. I checked my ashtray and put nails I recently picked up in our church parking in there. One thing which was very important and sentimental to me/us was the $10.00 bill our son, who recently died, left me in this very ashtray. I keep it where it was exactly left for me by our son. It was there when I was cleaning up my car minutes before while waiting for my husband to return with the new battery. I touched it and saw it.

My husband soon returned but instead of buying a new battery, the Sears mechanics wanted to check our battery and/or alternator. They said they wanted to charge us correctly since the battery wasn't that old. I was surprised they drove my/our car away from us to the far side of the garage - the furthest away from us. I stood there, watched them and I didn't feel right. Something didn't seem right. My husband reassured me to trust them, "They know what they are doing." They certainly do! After around ten minutes, we settled the bill for the battery and some of it was prorated. We returned to our car. I opened the ashtray immediately upon return and the $10.00 bill in our ashtray was gone. I was distraught being it was from our son who recently died.

I approached the manager and then we all went to the mechanic, who drove our car away and tested the battery since I watched him for a while not feeling right about this. He said he didn't take it, but we asked him to show us his wallet and empty his pockets. After the second try and after he just pulled out his cell phone only, we asked him to pull his pants pockets inside out. He reluctantly did, hiding the $10.00 palm side down. We got it back, but it was after our hounding and being through another hell for us. It was our son's $10 and it upset us so much and it still does.

We live with daily heartfelt grief and to be ripped off by some creep, who has sticky fingers and can't keep them to himself, makes our hell worse. He more than likely does this to many Sears customers and goes through their cars, often stealing what they won't notice right away. The customers then realize it maybe days later when they think they misplaced it or lost it. I feel sorry for the elderly. It was that creep who goes through the glove box and ashtray. Mind you, I didn't think my car would be driven away from me. I thought my husband was going to return to our car with a new battery on hand. For them to check the battery and alternator (our alternator light was not coming on) away from us was suspicious and I was right.

Not only did he steal our keepsake $10.00 bill from my ashtray, he took a rolled up receipt from my glove box. I know it was there because I just cleaned the glove box minutes before. It had a personal financial note on it. How many more people does this happen to? Not only money theft, but identity theft while you just get a stupid car battery. It only took about ten minutes. This is not right. This should not happen to anyone. This should not happen to longtime Sears customers who have carried their charge card for many years and so have our parents.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2010

Sears was to check the battery because the car would not start but it would crank but not fast enough to start the engine. So my husband jump-started it and it started right up. The car is a 2001 VW with 85,000 miles. We noticed it was a die-hard battery. My daughter drives the car to work. She works at that same mall so she said she would have it checked later on in the evening. She called me and said the mechanics at Sears told her they were sorry they got some lights on the dash and could not get them off so she would have to take it to a dealer and get it fixed. Well, the radio doesn't work it is completely blown and the ABS service engine seat belts, etc. lights are on.

The closest VW dealer is about 1 and 1/2 hours away. There is one mechanic about 20 minutes away that only services VW's. He put it on the machine and said they hooked the battery back wrong, positive before negative and it is going to cost several thousand dollars to fix it. I am going in to talk to Sears to see what they intend to do to fix the mess they made. I already had to buy my daughter another car so she can get to work. But needless to say, it will not be taken to Sears.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2009

I had purchased a Die Hard battery at this location on 10/31/08, almost exactly one year ago. My car had stalled out a few times this morning so I asked them to do a battery check. They performed the check and stated that they fixed a loose connection. They then recommended that I replace the serpentine belt. I said okay. Because the shop had a walkway I could stand in and watch the repair, I walked over and watched, from a distance of about 10 to 15 feet, the repairman replace the belt.

After being told that I was ready to check out, I paid the bill and went to get inside the car. There was a hole punctured into the hood. There was no damage to the hood and certainly not a hole in it, prior to turning it over to Sears. I walked back in and pointed out the damage to the technician. We raised the hood and saw a tear in the hood lining that matched up with the hole and saw that the hole had been made from the underside of the hood. At this point, the assistant manager told me that he knew the puncture was not caused by his shop because he had been standing by the repairman when the repairman let down the hood ever so gently. This was a bold-faced lie - I had watched the repair and he was nowhere to be seen when the belt was replaced. I would like to pursue legal action.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2009

Sears store (Marshall, TX) clerk and manager would not honor Die Hard battery warranty - less than 45 days old - even with original receipt. I was forced to take the defective battery to a Sears store in Tyler, Texas for an exchange - beware of this location!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2009

I had new DieHard battery installed. They charged me $12.95 for installation. I had to take the car back the next day because they had lost one of the fastening nuts on the battery hold down clamp and it was not secure. I took it back and they found a makeshift nut that anchored it down.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2009

I bought a Sears Diehard battery about every four years. They used to last me quite some time. I bought one and it only lasted 2 years. Took it back and they said it was bad. I still had prorated value on it. They let me use the prorated value toward a Diehard gold battery. It lasted 4 years which I figured was about right. I bought another Diehard gold battery and was told I have $36.00 in core value left on it. So I applied that toward my new Diehard gold battery. I paid around $69.00 extra for the new battery.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2008

I bought a Gold DieHard battery from Sears Service Center on Friday, Oct. 10th. I was returning another Gold Battery that was still in warranty, but had failed several times. They tested the battery for 3 minutes and told me it was no good. I replaced it with another Gold level battery. I installed the battery on Saturday. I used the vehicle several times over the weekend. When I tried to start the car on Monday morning, it would not start. I boosted the battery, and took my vehicle into my local garage to check the system. The mechanic test my electrical system, and told me my battery was no good. I told him I had just replaced it. He noted it was a DieHard, so I should just return it and get a new one.

When I brought it to the store, I got nothing but a runaround. The service center manager told me that they had to test the battery for 45 minutes for warranty evaluation. I was in a hurry, so naturally I objected. I said I just want to exchange the bad battery for a new one because it was only 3 days old. He refused to do so. I asked to speak to the manager, and he told me he WAS the manager. I therefore asked to speak to HIS manager. He called his manager, and I overheard him explaining to him that a customer wanted to speak to him. When he got off the phone, he told me that his manager was in an interview for the next 30 minutes and could not speak with me.

Evidently, at the new Kmart Sears, Customer Service is a secondary priority. After 30 minutes went by, I showed up again for the Service Manager. He went out to test the battery again, and told me there is nothing wrong with the battery. I could not believe the poor customer service I was getting. I asked again to speak with his manager. He called the manager again, and explained to that manager (John **) that the customer wanted a new warranty exchange even though the battery tested good AFTER it was recharged. John ** then came down from his office to speak with me in person. I explained to him that I had to make a long drive to Las Vegas, and did not trust the current battery that would not start. John ** told me that there must be something wrong with my vehicle. I told him that my mechanic told me the vehicle is fine, but the battery was weak. John ** insisted that something was wrong with my vehicle in spite of what my mechanic told me.

I finally told him I didn't have time to argue, but I would not be shopping at Sears any longer, I had bought several sets of tires and batteries from Sears, but I no longer trust Sears warranty service. If managers like John ** represent Sears Customer Service policy, then Sears is no longer the company that it used to be. When I buy a product with 36-month free replacement, and I have problems within 3 days, I don't expect that Sears will reneg on its policy from the get go. Nowhere on my receipt does it say that Sears has the right to drag its feet on customer peace of mind when its product is unreliable. I assume I am contacting Sears internal Customer Service.

DieHard Batteries Company Information