Chrysler Pacifica

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Anybody have any overheating issues with their 2004 Chrysler Pacifica? Mine just died last night and I'm trying to trouble shoot it. Any kind of help would be great. I haven't tried starting it again yet.

I am currently on my 4th Pacifica. My latest one took me a while to find. With owning so many of them and over 500k miles on them, I think I'm pretty knowledgeable about them and the issues most people encounter. I've worked for Chrysler and Ford and 4 different auto suppliers over the past 35 years. I've owned a 04, two 06's, and my latest is an 07. Pacificas have issues based on year and mileage like every other vehicle. One common complaint is rusting motor mounts. 04 and 05 models are known for this. A design flaw from Chrysler they fixed in 06. The drain for the AC is directly over the mount, plus there was an issue where the mounts were undercoated separately.

And they sometimes weren't coated well enough at the supplier if buying one, regardless of year, check the engine mount and subframe for rust. 2 minutes that will save you a lot of trouble. You can change them yourself with a jack and hand tools. A $400 job fixed for $50 and about an hour of time. If the subframe is rusted walk away. That is a huge cost, $3000 or more. Stalling issues are usually hard for most people to figure out because of intermittent failure of the coil packs. I fought with my 05 with this one and used a connection at Chrysler corporate who let me know that one. After a shop taking 2 weeks and still not finding the problem it got solved in minutes. This is a very easy part to replace yourself. They cost $50 each and you can play swap around to find which ones may be gone or have them tested. I replaced all 6, but a dealer will charge you about $1500 for an hour to put in $300 worth of parts.

Check engine light is usually code 455, evap system leak. This code is on in almost every Chrysler product with any age or mileage on it. Usually a hose gets a pin prick hole in it causing the light to come on. It's a nightmare to find this leak. Rarely it comes on due to a worn gas cap. I replace the cap when the check engine light comes on. If it won't go off I don't worry about it. Just check the code every so often to make sure it isn't a code for something else. The truck will run fine if this is the case. The other recurring issue seems to be sometimes the gas tank is reluctant to allow you to fill it. All Pacificas have 2 fuel pumps. A primary and a secondary. Many times the secondary pump fails and isn't diagnosed. This pump moves gas from the side of the tank to the primary pump.

When you get lower on gas and go around a sharp curve or up a steep hill the primary can't pick up the gas and the motor sputters or stalls. The secondary pump only costs around $40 compared to $120 for the primary. Like all vehicles some engines and transmissions are better than others. The best by far is the 4.0L V6. While it gets lower fuel mileage than the 3.5L or 3 8L, it is far more reliable. The 3.8L is better than the 3.5L. Thank God they never put the piece of crap 2 7L V6 in it. These are great vehicles if taken care of.

Other than the motor mount issue only issues are due to maintenance. Buying a 12 year old truck with 150k miles on it there are bound to be areas that could be ready to fail. A timing belt is recommended being replaced at 100k miles, having one fail at 175k miles and calling the truck junk? And by the way, Pacificas are rebodied Chrysler minivans. A LOT of parts interchange and the drive trains are identical. Almost all mechanical parts are identical.

When it's cold like 35 Degree my engine Light is off and my gas gauge works fine. When it warms up then my gas gauge goes all the way to empty and my engine light turns on. Someone told me that my chip setting on my gas gauge module software need to be upgraded, and someone else told me it the fuel sensor in the gas tank?

It's my Chrysler Pacifica 2004 I bought 2 year and I have a sub frame rust problem and couple months ago I replaced Mort mount and two week I just replace the basket. Is there a recall on this car or a lawsuit?

Bought my 2008 Pacifica with 11,000 miles in 2008. I loved the car as far as room and ride and performance went. Now flash forward 4 years when the problems begin. At first it began turning on the auto headlights in the middle of the night in the driveway. Not a huge problem, I just stopped using them. Next the radio begins to change mode and stations as I turn the steering wheel, but only in 80 degree weather. Then the driver's side seat stops working via the switch on the door. Just have to live with the seat position. Then the automatic shift lever locks in the park position and the car cannot be moved. Then while driving at about 96 K in miles, the motor mount breaks. I have replaced three mounts, and the engine still sits on the frame. No one can seem to solve the problem, shy of spending another $850. This has gone from a car that I once loved, to a money pit!! Run away from these cars as a used vehicle!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chrysler?

I have an 05 pacifica I was driving then it just turned off. Wants to start back up but won't. It has a spark but could be the problem. Please help. I don't wanna junk it.

A friend has not even owned the car a year and has already put over 3,000 in to it, has changed the same motor mount himself twice and the second time it hit the radiator. Now he is waiting for that.

Had 4 fuel pumps replaced in both tanks, only take a couple of gallons at a time after fuel pumps replaced, runs fine for about 5 months before pumps need replaced again. Passenger side tanks left fuel and does not transfer fuel to other side or accepts gas into tank. Transmission issues doesn't allow cruise control to work. Control board under drivers seat broke and won't adjust seats. Thinking about throwing car away due to repair cost, just bought it last year for 5000.00 - had nothing but trouble with it. Cannot afford to keep it or buy a new one now. Also had several normal wear down on ball joints and differential.

In 2012 we bought a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While having an oil change the guys informed me that my engine was not in good standing. I went ahead and took a look and saw that the engine is literally falling through. The bottom mounts were rusting out. Took my car to a Chrysler dealership immediately to see how much this would cost me. They quoted a 2,000-3,000 price range! Having no warranty, I am left to figure out what to do. Being a single mom at this point in time now. Having 5 children to provide for, I cannot afford this and nor should I have to. Warranty or not, this is not a consumer problem... This is a big mistake, and could be even bigger if it causes injury or death, by the Chrysler Company.

I began to investigate why this had happened to begin with. Come to find out, we were not alone in this situation. The 2004 Chrysler Pacifica model and prior have had many complaints pertaining to the lower engine mounts rusting out. Here is why: the air condition unit leaks down onto the motor. No car to drive as of today because noticed car acting odd earlier today and engine mount on front driver side is now resting on my car frame. Time to pray someone might have good news in the recall area and Chrysler will just do the right thing.

Yes my 2004 Pacifica starts fine but while driving it will die. It starts back up but may die. It may go 25 miles before it dies or go 50 feet. What can be the problem?

We have problems with our 2007 Pacifica. The ignition switch moves around and can be tightened with my finger. There are times car will not start, must turn key every few min. and it will start. Good battery. Steering locks up after going through puddles.

Called Chrysler today to find out if there was a recall on my car's fuel tank because of the problems I have been having with my check engine light continuously coming on, the struggle of filling it up (car sometimes refuses to take gas or it spits it out)) and the gauge needle falling from mid tank to empty within a matter of minutes. I also went online and saw the thousands of complaints from Chrysler customers about the same problem. Chrysler`s response to me was "have your intake valve checked" and there is no recall.

I have for three years thought that this was my problem and spent lots of money trying to get it fixed, notice I said trying, IT'S STILL NOT FIXED YET!!! Looking online it seems other Pacifica owners are having the same issues. To be honest overall my Pacifica is a good car, just need Chrysler to recall the crazy fuel tank. Can someone tell what are we going to do about it? After there is enough money you have to spend just keeping up the maintenance on a car, fix manufacturing problems should not be the consumer's problem too.

Bought a 2005 Pacifica for my wife. New driver. She found it very easy to drive. I was so impressed by the ride and handling, especially the control whilst sliding intentionally sideways on fresh snow (demonstrating how to drive in these conditions) that I bought an '04 for my work car. My regular car is an '04 SRT4 bought new so I know good handling. 05 has 190k km, the other 227k km. Both engines run well. The higher km car still does 9.8 L/100 km or 24 mpg. It has had excellent maintenance from record and evidence I've seen on the parts.

Most of the bad reviews you'll read here are from second or later owners. They do not know the car was serviced properly before they owned it. Those reviews are invalid. Some are just silly. They bought a used old car. They got what they paid for and risked that the car was not abused. I will say I had a strut mount fail on the 05. Dangerous. Could have caused death. But I had just replaced the struts and the only part I did not replace was that mount and springs. Possibly an original part with 190k on it. Metalurgist examined it and it was fatigue from flexing. Lesson learned. Buy quick struts. Replace ALL these parts. Though the analysis shows stupid design with three small holes that likely led to the failure. Just replace the strut assembly for your own safety on ANY high mileage car. Bonus is you can do it with hand tools yourself and save some cash.

So far both cars are excellent. Yes I need to do motor mounts on the 04. It's 11 years old with 227k on it. What would you expect? It is in far, FAR better condition than any of the cars I've owned with half the mileage and 30 years of experience with cars. I would recommend this car to anyone. Just check maintenance records and be aware it is a used car. It is not the manufacturer's responsibility once warranty is finished, no matter which manufacturer.

Bought my 05 Pacifica, used with high miles, for a good price before I read any of the many horror stories that I've read about now because I really liked the body and family members that have the same car - love it. But nonetheless I bought it and put quite a few more miles on it as mine has 240000 miles on it and I'm now needing front struts and motor mounts and a timing belt and I'll fix these things. And hopefully put another 100000 on her cause it looks and drives great with plenty of room. Our whole family loves it. One thing I don't understand is the short few years they made these and with all the bad reviews, I sure see them EVERYWHERE and I literally mean at least 1 every 2 miles I drive and I live in Michigan. But overall great car (maybe I got one made on a Wednesday instead of the famous drunk Friday or hangover Monday). LOL. Hope this helps someone out there.

This crossover has been great for my family of four and easy for my wife to handle. Great alternative to a van. No problems on the road, and a comfort for long trips. I believe that the 2006 model was still manufactured with Daimler, that may contribute to its success. But with any vehicle, if you take care of it, it will take care of you!

I bought a 2007 Pacifica 5 years ago. Had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it and now have 200,000 miles on it. I commute an hour to work everyday and so far the only problem I have had with mine is I just had to put new bearings on it. But other than that have had no issues or problems whatsoever. Has been a great car. I can fit 6 in it comfortably and get 24 miles per gallon. Best car I have ever had!

Bought 2007 base model Pacifica used, 70K miles. Piece of crap. Took it on a road trip and was stranded 50 miles from destination. Just shifted itself from 4th on highway to 1st, then stalled completely later in 1st while limping along. No indicators, codes read misfire. Got a mini-tune up-- spark plugs, wires, replaced an injector. Mechanic told me the motor mounts are shot and some kind of leak in evap. Ran better after that and got me home with the check engine light on the whole way.

Then, started stalling--60mph, 20mph-- no matter, one ding, no lights, no codes. Weird. Like another poster here. I stopped driving it. Put it in GM dealer (who sold it to me) shop for repairs. They held it for 2 months. Got it to fail 3 times then gave it back unfixed. Another story there! It seems to stall in wet weather, but not completely, like it's missing linkage clips and can't quite shift gears--just stops-- Then gets its second wind and goes forward again. Then, it stopped. Service Immobilizer. What a scam that is! Wish I could disconnect it. Just had it towed for the 4th time since March. Run Away if offered a Pacifica!

2007 Pacifica w/ 78K miles won't start - I purchased a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty when I purchased this auto. In 2012 the car began not starting. No clicking, not cranking. My wife discovered that if we waited until all the dash lights quit clicking & stabilized, it usually started. When the car would get to the dealer, it would start. It only refused to crank intermittently. Then this year (2015) the car wouldn't start even after 15 tries. We have had Chrysler on board with this problem since the beginning in 2012. When it wouldn't start we had Chrysler on the cell & the rep heard the problem.

We have had problems with Chrysler paying the tow because the car starts after the shop arrival, even tho the rep said it would pay. I told them about the ground wires & both ground wires were corroded, one was gone. The tow truck guy said the problem was the computer but the dlr cannot change the computer if the car starts when they try it. Now they will keep the car forever until it won't start for them. I am out a car I cannot in good faith sell to anyone or even trade in. I may change the computer myself. I have to have someone with me when I go to town so someone will stay with the car while it is running so we can get home.

Bought the 2006 Chrysler Pacifica ten days ago. At first it was great. Now stalls if you press on brake. And engine sounds loud like a diesel. Can't find the cause.

I have an 06 Pacifica. I bought it last year with 100K. I bought it in July. It was unable to pass a state inspection until November. Seriously. As I left the dealership when I bought it, it dropped "oil" and "check engine" lights. Seriously. The oil light was due to the oil pump being faulty. The check engine light was an EVAP code, which is apparently pretty vague on these. The dealership had the car nearly constantly for four months. July to November, I drove their loaners way more than my own car. In the end, the dealership tried replacing every part in the system in the order of cost... but I needed TWO new fuel pumps (the car has two) to get the light to go away. Talk about losing your shirt on a sale.

Earlier this month, I got another "check engine" light. My mechanic said it was an EGR valve code, but unfortunately, details of it were obscured since it's a Chrysler-specific code he doesn't have access to. He replaced the valve itself hoping that was the answer. It was. Unfortunately, he also told me a mechanic friend of his came in and assumed the Pacifica was there for electrical issues. It was not, but now I'm nervous. My mechanic finally said, "Even Dodge and Chrysler nuts HATE the Pacifica. It's hard to fix. The parts don't align with other models. You could get a great one, or you could get a terrible one. It's a dice toss." My cousin, though, has a 2004 Pacifica with over 200K miles on it. She's more than pleased with it. It has given her NO problems.

I am still a kid but my memory is not sharp so bear with me. When I was 4 we lived in the Jacksonville area of Florida. We were not completely straight where money went. One day my mom came home from work in a shiny new 2005 Pacifica Touring. It was nice and quiet, had heated seats and black leather seats with three rows and wood trim. It had luxury all over it. When the problems started we were driving to Atlanta because my mom had a business trip. We were on a dirt road and my mom hit a big rock. She kept on driving thinking nothing of it. Then when we turned on another dirt road the car just started steaming up and just stopped working. My mom kept pressing on a gas pedal but the car was just dead. So since it was all electric the brakes weren't working either so she just slowly pulled off the road into a ditch. We all just got out of the car and waited for a tow truck.

Of course since me and my sister were fairly young we were calling our cars name telling her not to die on us. When we got the car to the shop they said it was the transmission which costed around 3,000 dollars. At that time we didn't have the money. Luckily one of my mom's friends was able to help her out. After we got the transmission we were driving to Keystone Heights, Florida to surprise our Grandpa on his birthday. Then on the passenger side of the car there was a loud screeching noise. When my mom pulled over it smelled like burning rubber and my mom said it was the belt and we just had to replace that.

So we just kept on trucking when if course the car died and she had to get it checked again. This time they said she had just replaced the transmission so that couldn't be it. When they told my mom it was the engine she paid off the car and traded it in for a brand new 2014 Ford Explorer XLT which has been working well for a long time now and has the capacity to carry you hauls up and down mountains.

I bought my 2007 Pacifica in February this year. Within 30 days my engine light started going off and on. Took it to auto parts. Sensor code said o2 sensor gone. Light would keep going off and on. Making hard right turns hear a loud noise in right front tire compartment. Someone said "could just be a piece of plastic." Noticed last week running just a little rough. Last night while driving to work something happened and I noticed it whining. I pulled over and put into park. When all traffic stopped I put into gear and started driving. At about 30 mph whining again and would not shift. Made it to work.

Husband picked up and took to local transmission shop $2700-$3000. They put on their "computer" and told him whole transmission gone. One of mechanics even laughing at him!!! I have only made one payment! $3000 is half of what I paid! Nice looking car, clean, no rust, no dents, 92,000. Also noticed in beginning, that engine was blowing white "steam" from engine. Wouldn't happen all the time. Manual said that this could happen with excessive moisture. Ok winter, let it go. Kept eye on temp gauge. Go thru carwash BLOWS white smoke. I don't know what to do. I can't afford to fix it. Don't want to pay for a car that doesn't run and dealer said too far out of warranty.

Blown engine before 80,000, replace for a cost of over 3000!!! Now cradle that holds engine is rusted through making car undrivable.

I brought a 2005 Pacific, it's been almost three years... from the first day I brought this car I have had nothing but trouble with it. First thing that happen was the night I brought the car home was fine, the next day I wake up and my car door wouldn't open, so I took the car back to the dealer. It took them two days to fix it, and since then I put a new motor, transmission, new tires, timing belt, water pump, oil changes, tune ups, muffler... I spend over 18,000.00 fixing it. And now my car check engine light started to blink tonight and along with that I smell burned rubber. Can someone tell me what's wrong with it? This car is my only way back to work, and to treatment appointments.

My car is a 2004 Pacifica and I have had it since 2009. My parents gave it to me with 100,000 miles on it maybe. I do a lot of driving and it's an AWD so this is my second time replacing all four tires. Presently, I have been having a problem with the gas tank not taking a full tank at once. This started off as taking gas slow and not registering how much gas is in the tank. Now it usually only takes like 14 gallons at a time. It depends on the weather. I have had some minor electrical problems. Even after having these problems I would say the money paid for it was well worth it. Male foreigners always stop me at the gas pump and ask about my car. They all want to know, "what year is it," when I respond, "an 04," they respond, "you know who made it, the Germans, that's the only one. "

It's not as dependable as before but I hate to see it go. It still rides smooth. I am weighing a car note and insurance versus replacing parts. I live in Michigan and know a shop that is an expert on Chrysler vehicles. I have been looking at VW's because of the German engineering. My next choice is Subaru then the Jeep. But I really don't want a car note and after riding in luxury I don't want to downgrade.

I see a lot of negatives on the Pacifica and I'm sure they are right, but have to give you my story. I have a 2004 Pacifica getting ready to turn 180,000 miles this week. I love this car!!! For many reasons but most of all it saved my life. I'm hard on cars, gas and brake person so that in itself takes a good car. This past yr I was in a bad accident, my fault, it was pouring very very hard and didn't see a stopped gray Volvo in front of me on the road. I hit her doing 55 mph. I came out untouched except for mark from airbag under steering. All my airbags deployed but only half as car had sensor to know whether I needed full impact or half, my face thanks that!!! My headlights didn't even brake. Barely any damage. I was so proud of my car. I still drive her everyday.

The one thing I would say is don't have a Pacifica without full coverage as I didn't and airbags alone are 5,000. Now I have had no problems at all. Starts everyday, runs quiet. Love the car. Now my engine cradle is rusted and has to be replaced. Trying to find new one as I really don't want to part with this car. I am worried about buying another Pacifica as I do see so many complaints. Even though I have been so lucky. Not sure second time around I will be. Oh also hit two deer and never even a scratch!!!! I have been wondering do only people with problems complain... as I see every car or SUV I like has lists of complaints but not many positives. I am hoping to get many more yrs out of the old girl before I have to get another one.

I am an owner of a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. The Car has only 50,500 miles on it. And it's been meticulously taken care of. Beautiful on the interior and exterior. BUT..... I had issues with the Power Steering at 36,000 miles and had to replace the pump @ $1500.00 cost to me. Yep not warranted! Recently I took it in for an oil change and upon inspection the service adviser notified me of an issue of rusting on The Sub frame (Engine Carriage). I was notified that there are several holes rusted through and that it is a serious safety hazard. It could cause the engine to literally fall out, collision, and possibly bodily harm or death. The service adviser notified me that this is a very common issue with the Chrysler Pacifica. I decided to do an investigation and verified over the internet that there have been multiple complaints to Chrysler concerning this issue.

Only after people complained to Chrysler did they offer any assistance in repairs and then only after Media got involved. I called Chrysler and they more or less stated, "We are sorry for your issues but your vehicle is out of warranty." Now I can understand warranty issues but this is a known issue for these models. And after talking to Chrysler they acted as if there were no issues what so ever.

I feel this warrants an investigation as to why these units have not been recalled, and everything I am reading certainly points to Chrysler knowing they have safety issues and are ignoring them until they are more or less forced to respond to do the right thing and pay for the repairs. I have contacted Safercar.gov and the Media to see if I can get any assistance for the estimated $3500.00 repair cost. Needless to say if Chrysler wants any more of my business, (I have owned 2 Intrepids and a LeBaron - all of which had issues) they had better come to plate and do what's right for their customers' safety. If they don't, hopefully enough people, including myself needs to make enough noise for them to get these issues taken care of.

My husband and I were looking for a safe, reliable vehicle to be able to travel and see our son and his family who is in the army. We found this 2004 Chrysler Pacifica at a used car dealership in Cadillac Michigan. After taking it for a test drive we told them it had a vibration in the front and the check engine light was on. They said they would check it over and call us. Upon returning home I googled 2004 Crysler Pacifica problems. The first thing that showed up was the engine cradle rot. Being aware of the problem, when the dealer called us to let us know he had the check engine problem fixed and the vibration was gone, we asked him about having it checked for the engine cradle rot that we had learned about. He said that wasn't a problem because he was taking it in to get the oil changed for us anyways and he would call when he got back from checking it all out.

About an hour later he called, said everything looked great. No rot, all good, so we bought the car. BIG MISTAKE! Shortly after getting it, the problems began, within 500 miles it blew the egr valve and back manifold gasket. While we have it to the Chrysler dealers to be fixed for them issues, we asked for them to inspect the car and make sure everything was ok. "Yup... looks good. No problems... safe for the road." YEAH RIGHT! My husband went to change the oil himself the other day. Mind you we have only put not even 6000 miles on this car total since buying it. And just under 2600 since the dealer themselves had it in there and said it was all good and safe.

When my husband climbed under it to change the oil, THE WHOLE ENGINE CRADLE IS FULL OF ROT, HOLES, and CRACKS! This vehicle is not safe to be on the road and the dealership says it's safe! Apparently people's lives mean nothing anymore! And of course Chrysler won't fix it even though they KNOW it's a problem! Not to mention the electrical issues of the seats not working sometimes and the heater having a mind of its own. Sad, beautiful LOOKING car. JUST DON'T BUY ONE!

I have a 2005 Pacifica that I bought brand new and now have 133,000 miles on it. I have had a problem with the accelerator in the past. It catches when I try to depress it. This has happened 3 times now. The first time was probably at 70,000 miles, the next time was around 100,000 miles and now again. To fix it the shop has "cleaned my fuel system" or maybe they told me they flushed the fuel system. I find this to be a ridiculous expensive (yes only $100) fix. Does anyone out there know how to deal with this situation without taking it to the shop?

I know a lot of posts bash this car, but to me it is like a tank. No major issues with it. I have been hit by one deer and ran over another. It has been backed into by another car and it continues to perform for me. It has been reliable and durable and although it is ten years old, I hate to give it up (my son wants it) but I am concerned it is about time to get something a little newer and probably more reliable. They definitely make cars better now than when I was a young man.

I purchased this used car Nov. 19 2014. The engine light came on less than a month of me owning the vehicle but it kept going off and on. The mechanic couldn't diagnose problem. Once I didn't drive the car too often due to that. Dec. 13 light stayed on after trying to get it in. Upon availability and convenience I took it in Jan. on catalyst system/relay switch. Dealership manager ** stated they will pay half. I decided to bring car in once I had the money..

I got up auto start the car. We got in to drop kids off at school and take it in. We got to the corner of stop sign upon merging into traffic to get to intersection. The entire car just stood still and wouldn't go. I had no idea the car was off without warning.. I panicked a little watching traffic coming toward us. A truck notice afar we wasn't moving. I quickly turn on hazard and husband got out on side partially in front waving his hands. We all got out - 3 daughter trying to push car out of streets. Later I got car towed to dealership. 3 days they couldn't diagnose car. The light apparently had a defect - too drain battery or stays on without you notice. You can't see it's not on. After 4 hours work the day 3 found out PCM SHUT OFF.. MY car VIN isn't listed as a defect but it was obviously missed or owner never came forward so maybe they took it out as being a defected car. Who knows. I'm not happy stuck with a car not to a car I can't even drive.

Chrysler Pacifica Company Profile