Chevy Monte Carlo

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am hoping someone will help me before I go spending money on parts I don't need. But I do need help. Back in 2013, I had purchased a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Unfortunately in 2014, I had spent over $2,000 in vehicle repairs... from brake lines, to a fuel gauge, you name it. And I had thought I had resolved most of the issues... 2015, I get codes saying I need 2 knock sensors, a crankshaft position sensor, and a catalytic converter. On top of that; The air conditioner only works when you go all the way to 5 (1-4 doesn't work when you turn the knob). My driver side window is taped because the window may be off its track. I had problems with my starter and my radiator was leaking and I couldn't find out where until 2016.

And unfortunately, though my dad fixed ONE of the knock sensors, supposedly, he believes the other knock sensor (the 2nd bank), and the crankshaft position sensor requires you take half of the engine out, which requires tools he doesn't have (though I found out there are 2 crankshaft position sensors: one in front of the belt area and one behind where the water pump is, so an internal and external in a nutshell). Moving on... 2016 arrives and I had to replace my radiator and my starter. And again; under the impression issues are resolved... So I thought again.

Here it is, almost April, and for some reason, it seems I have yet ANOTHER coolant leak somewhere and I can't seem to find where. And I don't know if it's hoses, or possibly my water pump but every few days, I have to keep filling my radiator with coolant. At some point my coolant overflow was empty, and even after filling it, 2-3 days later, it would be empty. I put some stop leak in the overflow tank and now it seems to be fine. But the radiator keeps running low almost every other day. And the indicator for the coolant will climb sometimes to past halfway along with a "Low Engine Coolant" notification popping up. And on top of that... Though the starter is replaced, from time to time while I'm on the road, my car will just cut off, and I have to put it in neutral to restart it.

There are occasions where when I am parked, I put the keys in the ignition to start it, it'll turn on, cut right off, and even when I choke the car it won't start unless I disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect. The car hesitates REALLY bad when you hit the gas. Whenever I hit the blinker wand, I keep hearing this electric buzz (sometimes short, sometimes longer). It sounds like a game show buzzer. And I still have those sensors to replace. I am at my wits end. I have spent almost 3 years trying my hardest to keep this car in running condition, and I am to the point where I want to just have this car destroyed. Is there anybody out there who can please help me out with this? A response with what the problems may be is just enough and appreciated! I want to be sure what the problems are or may be before I spend money on parts I may not need! Thank you!

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS bought it in 2002. Love my Monte. Never had any problems until I started to have engine problems. I was driving along then all of a sudden lights flashing. It act like it wanted to stop while I was driving. Slowly made it home. Then it would not start. Tow truck came and got it. Mechanic said something about my engine. Fixed it, so I thought. Cost me $500. A year later, same thing happened. Another $500. A year later, same thing happened. Finally my mechanic told me it was dex coolant. It was a recall to stop using it.

I never received anything about it so he flushed out all that orange coolant, put in green stuff and I haven't had that problem since. I don't understand why that I was not informed about this. Like some stated I get water in my doors when it rains, have ABS light stays on, gas gauge is always reads full but my Monte has over 160.000. Still looks good. Everything everyone says about their Monte problems me too. Motor mount. All in all it's a good car. I just wish that GM get on the ball about getting parts for oil leak on the engine. I don't want blow up and I don't want my car to blow up. It has been months and I haven't a thing.

I first owned a 1996 Monte Carlo. It had 75,000 miles on it and the engine went. I contacted Chevrolet and they said my warranty was up so I was on my own. Later I find out there was a lawsuit against them by many parties for the same issue. I now own a 2009 Colorado. It has never run nicely. Always ran rough. Due to the fact that it is a pick up and I never had one before I thought that was how they ran. I just received a recall notice in the mail regarding my vehicle for that same reason and my indicator light is on also. I contacted them regarding notice and was told I had too much mileage so It was not covered. What is the difference if it's a recall? They won't stand by my vehicle.

Now I just received another recall notice regarding my 2008 Equinox for the same issue. I have already had to replace the float in the gas tank and now my ignition needs to be changed because the keys keep getting stuck in it. That vehicle only has 20,000 miles on it. They told me not covered because of age. What do they cover and why send me notices? This company has failed me on numerous occasions with all my vehicles in one way or another. I will never purchase another Chevrolet. I think they should be held accountable, especially for the vehicles I still have and especially regarding the recall notices. I have a 2003 Toyota and had a recall on that vehicle and it was fixed at no charge to me and the mileage and or age had no effect on service and repair. Someone needs to step in with Chevrolet or put them completely out of business.

I believe the transmission in my Monte Carlo is going. It doesn't want to go into first gear. It will eventually but at first it just don't want to go. I added Lucas to it but did not help it at all. Also my battery light pops on randomly. All I have to do is take my foot off the accelerator & let the RPM's drop to one and it goes off. I have no signs of an oil leak but have to add oil weekly. My check engine light stays on. When it rains my doors fill up with water. I have replaced so much already. Any advice on the transmission aspect of things?

I purchased a 2007 Monte Carlo in 2011 with 53,000 miles. A year and a half later I took it to superior dealership for a transmission. 1 year later another transmission. In 2015 I had three transmission. My motor mount broke in between that, why didn't they just put rear wheel drive because of the power in a super charge transmission? Major mistake with a nice body car with so many problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

I have owned 4 Monte Carlos. 2 with 3.1 motors and 2 with 3.4. These cars ride smooth. Nice interior and all. The electrical things on this car sucks. I have a '95 Z34 now and when turn the headlights on it shuts on my radio. The car feels like it's losing power when taking off. I changed the fuel pump 3 times and still can't get it together. I want to keep the car but willing to sell it now. It's too much on me. But it's rides good when stepping on it.

2002 Monte Carlo - Well my car wouldn't start. It just started acting funny one day. I had it check and was told it was the engine control module. It would be 1,400. I got a new car, 4 year later I want to take it back to Felix to get it fixed for my teenage son. I spoke with a guy name Carlos who told me it will be 650 plus tax to get the ECM. I pray they don't do other things to the car so I'll have to fix more than what needed to be done. When I first brought the car a few years ago, Chevrolet is sending recall out. What about this **!!

I had a problem with security light blinking and car would not start. Here is the FREE solution... that works. Turn ignition key to ON. Wait 10 minutes (security light will stop blinking and remain fixed). Turn ignition to OFF. Wait 20 seconds and turn key to ON. CAR WILL NOW START!

2005 Monte Carlo - I love this car! It's the cashmere gold color. Yep, I have had a few of the same known issues I've read here others have had. But, the ride and gas mileage is awesome! All power accessories work fine! Windows, locks power seat, mirrors, security system, stereo, etc! I have had to replace the instrument cluster, the gauges went a muck, like so many others have said too. And had to replace the dimmer switch awhile back too. The automatic headlights would work during the day, but had no headlights at night, when ya need headlights! Lol and of course regular maintenance like brakes, etc. That's normal though on ANY car!

Now, the one biggie!! About a month ago the tranny stopped shifting right! Hanging on in 1st for ever it seemed, then went straight into 3rd. No 2nd gear working at all! So, since I really do love this car, I had the tranny completely rebuilt! Yep, was rather costly! But, drives and shifts like a brand new car again!! Well worth it in my opinion!! Beautiful color car. Had windows tinted a couple months ago too! Very sharp car! All my friends compliment it all the time! At the time, this car needs absolutely nothing done to it at all! But I am one of those guys that gets bored driving any car too long! Lol I've had it now over 3 years. Got like 140,000 easy babied miles on it. Engines quiet and tight and sound too! Uses, leaks NO oil at at all!! If the cash price is right, reckon I'd let it go? I'd not give it away though! Bear in mind, I have recently spent 1605.00 in the rebuild of the tranny!

I have loved this car since I bought it in 2005. I had to address the recall and I did a tune up, changed synthetic oil, and bought some Goodyear Eagles tires. Never have had any issues. It had 28,000 mi in '05 and now has just shy of 60k. All in all the best, nicest, and reliable car I ever owned.

I have an issue with my security light coming on and that causes my car not to start. The first time this happened, I had my battery and alternator checked and both were good. The car ran fine for a few days, but now the light comes on again. HELP!

I bought a 2005 Monte Carlo LS in 2012 with 170,000 miles on it. Worked like a charm. Speed odometer wasn’t working so I got it fixed. Cheap and easy. The cars style is amazing. Inside and out. One of the best things about it is the gas mileage. 21/32 mpg is great compared to the new Camaros and Mustangs. This car is my car of a life time. It can mess up one day. I recommend fixing it soon cause that can tear up. But still today I'm glad I got this car.

I own a 2003 LS Monte Carlo. Where do I start? The good: It’s got a comfy ride, not too bad gas mileage, nice look. Took good care of it. Regular maintenance with the best materials available. Has only 86000 miles on it. The bad or the pain is, hopefully I remember all problems I had with this car, & still have: When it rains you will find a small lake inside your car. It leaks somehow through the windshield. The cluster instruments will go crazy sometime. The fuel gauge has stopped working many years ago. It only shows full or empty.

I had "as we all have" to replace the intake gaskets due to Coolant leaking and mixing with oil. I had to change Cadillac converter as car stalled & back pressure blow smoke up front. The AC has stopped working on this car on its 5th birthday. Steering wheel seems to be failing & whistles for some years now, adding oil every year to it. It will not start sometime due to its security BS supposedly has.

The ugly: I still have many of this problems re occurring and after spending $$Thousands$$ in repairs, especially the stalling thing again, I feel like this car will try to separate me from my hard earned cash as much as possible, or I can just sell it for peanuts, and take a solemn vow never to buy GM again, and advise all whom I care & love not to fall into an GM trap/nightmare again.

I recently purchased a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo LS. Everything about the body screams SS. From the race spoiler on the deck lid to the functioning air dam in the front it's outstanding. Everywhere I go people tell me my car is very nice to even beautiful. It's a metallic silver with very dark tinted windows and the stock cast aluminum rims are in excellent shape for a 13 yr old car. Inside it's seen a bit of abuse, there are a few burn holes in the fabric and on the drivers side door but other than that it's in great shape and is very clean with no stains or rips or tears in the fabric. It has the 3400 v6 engine. I've had to have a bit of work done having had to replace a water pump and radiator hoses but other than that it's been just general maintenance such as oil changes and cleaning the K&N air filter that came with it.

It's about due for new plugs and wires but still runs great. It's very good on gas, as one of me and my wife's favorite pastimes is to hop in the car and go for a ride with no destination in particular in mind. Even doing this we average around 20 to $25 a week in gas, so it's been economical for us to own. When we bought it, it had 110,000 actual miles on it and from what I've seen in shopping around looking to purchase a second Monte Carlo, this is very very good mileage for this type of car. I've looked at several models from the same yr and newer, and almost all of them far surpassed my car in mileage.

Even still, I've found that they all drive nice and smooth, but I've had a hard time finding one that has as tight of steering and pedal control like mine does. (I'm a fan of a good tight wheel and touchy pedals) Overall, I'm very happy with my car and am looking to purchase a second Monte Carlo as soon as I find one that I'm comfortable with and is in the right price range. I highly advise you to own one as mine is very dependable and doesn't cost me a fortune. It's a shame that Chevy stopped producing them after 2007.

I purchased a 2002 SS with 76000 miles on it. Have only had a few issues: Motor mounts were bad, needed new struts... the previous owner put a crap aftermarket converter that caused the mass airflow sensor to go bad. Other than that, no issues. To the guy who complained about rear suspension being shot... they are called struts. They don't last forever & your paint being crap, well wash it & put a good coat of wax on it. That's being a cry baby.

The car has had electrical problems since day one. I can pull the key out in the car, still runs. Sometimes the car just stops--all the lights start flashing. I am now trying to get it inspected. It failed because of a 420 code--bad catalytic converter. I just have a catalytic converter replaced in 2013. I've also had to have the radiator replaced and the intake manifold replaced. This seems like too many repair on one car. And the only recall notice I've ever gotten has to do with the ignition switch. The electrical system in the car is horrible. It's causing everything to go bad or seem to go bad.

2001 monte carlo - Been one problem after another. It seems like all the sensors I have replaced have had the high beam issue as well as wheel hub assembly and I could go on and on. Breaks were replaced within one year of buying brand new. Every time something needs replaced, it cost me at least $1000. I had the same problem as others reading this forum, when the car just stopping in traffic and wouldn't restart--replaced MAP sensor (my husband did that) and saved me $900. They wanted 350 just for the part but he got on Amazon for 150. Also had the radiator problem. I guess what I am saying is I am having all the same issues as others here - no wonder they don't make them anymore!

I just had to replace my intake gasket. My rear window defogger hasn't been working for quite a while. At the present time, my speedometer and RPM gauge goes crazy. Says I'm going 55 when I'm actually going 30 and the RPM says it's on 5 at times, but the motor isn't running fast. Also, I'm starting to have problems starting it. It turns over but it almost reminds me of possible carburetor problems. I have had this car since 2006 and has been a great car until just recently. 179,000 miles.

I would be going down road and car would die, just stall and I've fixed everything. New ignition still problems. Called GM. No response to fixing it. Very dangerous for me.

I bought my 03 Monte Carlo in 08 with 80*** miles in mint condition. From 2012 til now I have had an overheating problem along with ABS light on AFTER module was changed. As far as the overheating goes I've changed the MOTOR, catalytic converter, water pump, fuel pump, spark plugs, hoses, radiator to name a few. It is STILL overheating and has to be parked. Now I'm told it's the radiator AGAIN because it is leaking. (The radiator that was put in was salvaged so I just bought a new one this time). I've had these problems going on 3 years now. If ANYONE has any advise whether it be negative or positive PLEASE let me know. I am at my wits end and cannot afford to buy a different car. My Monte is still in mint condition and I absolutely love it but with it overheating and the ABS I just don't know what to do anymore.

Very disappointed with the mechanic of this poor car. Owning 7 months before this one, of course all prior to computers, the 02 is constantly a headache. Despite the issues, I'm fond of my car, after all GM is at the root of the problems. Let's see, (bought car with 62000miles in 09, just hit 100000). Replaced intake because coolant entered, replaced catalytic converter, wheel sensor (still needs another) ignition, fuel pump, several idle air sensors, fuel regulator, 3 fuel filters, coolant elbows (now aluminum), idler pully, 2 serpentine belts, plugs and wires (tune up), wiring harness to idle air sensor, changed out coolant, thermostat, and probably forgetting something. Now it will not stay running after fixing idler puppy problem. I think I will reconsider buying GM cars in future. So frustrating!

2007 Monte Carlo SS - Took my car to dealer for 4 times about the transmission slipping & when it does go into gear you get somebody jolt! I'm talking about whether you're at a stoplight & accelerating again or going uphill or just slowing down & accelerating again. The dealer always tells me the computer has no code for it!!! GM better find the code, before someone gets hurt!!! Does anyone else out there have the same problem?

Not only the cluster is bad but a couple of years ago, I had to put a new radiator in my Monte Carlo. The dash board is popping up. The interior above next to sun roof is dropping and I have only used the sun roof a few times. I keep my car in a garage at all times. I only have a little over 60,000 miles. I have had 4 new Monte Carlos. The first one 1972 (never a problem), 2nd one 1995 (never a problem), the third one 1998 (never a problem). 2005 I decided to get another Monte Carlo since all the others were great transportation. 2005 has been nothing but a lemon..... I called and talked to GM. The lady I talked to sent me to nearest GM dealer to have the cluster panel checked out. Maybe a week later someone from GM called me and asked me what I expected them to do... I replied, "at least put me a new cluster panel". Never heard another word from GM. I got this off my chest....and I live in Spring Hill Tn where there is a GM factory. Not sure what they make but it really does not matter.. When I pass by the GM visitor road, I sometimes just want to stop and let the visitors know my experience with GM.....Shame on you GM.

UPDATED ON 03/04/2016: I complained about my cluster panel a couple years ago... My speedometer does not work and now my temp gauge does not work. I was told to take to dealer in Franklin and they would pay for diagnosis. Bad panel. GM contacted me and asked me what did I expect them to do about it. I think they should replace even if it is out of warranty. They said they would get back with me but never did... Since then, I have seen so many complaints about the GM cluster panels on several of their vehicles. I have had 4 brand new Monte Carlo's and never had a bit of trouble with the first 3. This fourth one is a lemon. (2005) Today I went to run a errand and temp gauge went to red zone. I have already put a new radiator in car. I could give you a list of a mile long... Next vehicle will be a FORD.

I have a 2001 3.4L Monte Carlo. I bought it new. As soon as I reached 6 years old weird things began to happen. ABS traction lights will not go out even after changing sensors. Overheating, ignition, electrical (which no one was able to find), and many other problems that you might have occasionally on a car but not constant as these are. It seems that every year I have to spend over $1500 to fix the same problems. GM what is the deal!!!! Will you continue to manufacture this crap or will you step up to the plate and do the right thing. RECALL. You know your electrical is screwed up and you know your DEXCOOL ruins an engine. And how about your ignition problems. Then why do you continue to manufacture vehicles? I would be embarrassed, if I were you, by the many dissatisfied customers I have read about online.

2004 Monte Carlo SS (second owner) - Love the car. Really a nice ride. According to the Carfax no major problem ever reported. I did have a problem with the coolant elbows. I replaced them with the metal ones two years ago - cost me $10.00 and about an hour to do the job. Have not had a problem since. I put close to 400 miles a week on this car. Currently has 110K on it. I have had the car for close to three years now and have spent only $10.00 in repair work which I did myself. Guess I'm just lucky.

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS - Bought the car from someone who was GM dishonest. I say that BC just like GM they knew there were problems but no one can afford to put 5,000 in a car that's only worth 4,000. So a GM recall is out of question besides wouldn't that be bailout money paying for them to be repaired. Anyways the car has water in cab on both sides, trans slips when hot and lags when not. No gas gauge. Radio is on toggle BC if left overnight on batt dies. Suspension is shot all the way around, paint sucks, interior is cheap too. Don't buy, period. I told myself next time I buy a car I would get one that I wouldn't mind babying and now regret it 100 percent.

Anyone who reads these post don't buy a 6th gen MC of any kind. If you do take it to GM no matter what issue is expect around min 500$ each time. This hook it to a machine was genius for them to come up with. Like an app there's always a catch BC nothing is for free but in this case they mean that constantly as if you're on constant lease. I don't appreciate the dirty tactics they pulled on original owners BC it's a trickle down effect and the 2nd and 3rd owners will have to be dishonest to even sell the car now. THANKS CHEVROLET FOR MAKING THE WORLD A WORSE PLACE.

I agree with Todd from Wi. Every vehicle I've owned in the past has either had the 3.1 3.4 or 3.8. except the one I own now which is a jeep cherokee 4.0. My gf has an Aztek with the 3.4 and when we got it the intake gaskets were leaking but that happens to everyone of these motors eventually. Honestly if you don't take care of it the way you should then yeah you're gonna have problems. I've been working on cars for about ten years now since the age of 15 and its not a true 3.something motor unless the intake gaskets go out. They have made new ones that are metal instead of plastic so you won't have this problem. So change those and get that freakin dexcool out of the system and everything will be fine after that. If its not bring it to me and ill fix it for ya.

Ok this car has been a total nightmare from day one of purchasing it in 2010 with only 40,000 miles on it. In the past year it has stopped working numerous times. We had to replace battery and the cables as it just completely stopped starting one day out of the blue. That was fine, worked like a charm for an hour till the serpentine belt broke when my husband was test driving it to make sure that worked and wrapped around the crank shaft. Took two hours to get it off and then replaced belt and lo and behold the damn car won't start. It does almost want to start but will not start. Any suggestions on what could be the problem. Was thinking timing? but no way to check that if the car won't start. Another one was the crank shaft sensor? That looks in order. Hate making payments on this thing sitting in the damn driveway not starting.

2004 Monte Carlo - Initially upon purchase, the check engine light and turn signals kept were not working right. I had to take it to the dealership 3x before I took the Aims test. The sensors and the turn signal are still screwed up and when it rain water fills up in both the driver and the passenger door. I just found out that the engine has a leak and the heat is not working after two years of trying to get the car issues addressed. I am still paying the car note plus full coverage insurance. Now I am due for Aims test again and the sensors are screwed up more money I cant afford....for the same problems. It is good on gas.

Thank god I have a warranty. This Monte Carlo 05 has it problems dexcool, need to be change. I change it on time and still problems. Left red, hard stuff in motor. I had to change radiator then holes. Months later heater core went, cluster went twice, h-vac system went twice too. I change gasket twice motor on motor. I change transmission gasket 3 time, replace hole dip, stick housing, change blower motor to pulley, tie rod, window switches, shifter. Is that enough problems. GM should ashamed of yourselves. You should be paying for this work.

Chevy Monte Carlo Company Profile