2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.86/5

The Chevy Monte Carlo is a luxury coupe that was discontinued in 2007. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Chevy Monte Carlo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Monte Carlo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Monte Carlo?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

2002 Monte Carlo - Well my car wouldn't start. It just started acting funny one day. I had it check and was told it was the engine control module. It would be 1,400. I got a new car, 4 year later I want to take it back to Felix to get it fixed for my teenage son. I spoke with a guy name Carlos who told me it will be 650 plus tax to get the ECM. I pray they don't do other things to the car so I'll have to fix more than what needed to be done. When I first brought the car a few years ago, Chevrolet is sending recall out. What about this **!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I had a problem with security light blinking and car would not start. Here is the FREE solution... that works. Turn ignition key to ON. Wait 10 minutes (security light will stop blinking and remain fixed). Turn ignition to OFF. Wait 20 seconds and turn key to ON. CAR WILL NOW START!

Original review: July 19, 2015

2005 Monte Carlo - I love this car! It's the cashmere gold color. Yep, I have had a few of the same known issues I've read here others have had. But, the ride and gas mileage is awesome! All power accessories work fine! Windows, locks power seat, mirrors, security system, stereo, etc! I have had to replace the instrument cluster, the gauges went a muck, like so many others have said too. And had to replace the dimmer switch awhile back too. The automatic headlights would work during the day, but had no headlights at night, when ya need headlights! Lol and of course regular maintenance like brakes, etc. That's normal though on ANY car!

Now, the one biggie!! About a month ago the tranny stopped shifting right! Hanging on in 1st for ever it seemed, then went straight into 3rd. No 2nd gear working at all! So, since I really do love this car, I had the tranny completely rebuilt! Yep, was rather costly! But, drives and shifts like a brand new car again!! Well worth it in my opinion!! Beautiful color car. Had windows tinted a couple months ago too! Very sharp car! All my friends compliment it all the time! At the time, this car needs absolutely nothing done to it at all! But I am one of those guys that gets bored driving any car too long! Lol I've had it now over 3 years. Got like 140,000 easy babied miles on it. Engines quiet and tight and sound too! Uses, leaks NO oil at at all!! If the cash price is right, reckon I'd let it go? I'd not give it away though! Bear in mind, I have recently spent 1605.00 in the rebuild of the tranny!

Original review: June 24, 2015

I have loved this car since I bought it in 2005. I had to address the recall and I did a tune up, changed synthetic oil, and bought some Goodyear Eagles tires. Never have had any issues. It had 28,000 mi in '05 and now has just shy of 60k. All in all the best, nicest, and reliable car I ever owned.

Original review: June 23, 2015

I have an issue with my security light coming on and that causes my car not to start. The first time this happened, I had my battery and alternator checked and both were good. The car ran fine for a few days, but now the light comes on again. HELP!

Original review: June 16, 2015

I bought a 2005 Monte Carlo LS in 2012 with 170,000 miles on it. Worked like a charm. Speed odometer wasn’t working so I got it fixed. Cheap and easy. The cars style is amazing. Inside and out. One of the best things about it is the gas mileage. 21/32 mpg is great compared to the new Camaros and Mustangs. This car is my car of a life time. It can mess up one day. I recommend fixing it soon cause that can tear up. But still today I'm glad I got this car.

Original review: May 13, 2015

I own a 2003 LS Monte Carlo. Where do I start? The good: It’s got a comfy ride, not too bad gas mileage, nice look. Took good care of it. Regular maintenance with the best materials available. Has only 86000 miles on it. The bad or the pain is, hopefully I remember all problems I had with this car, & still have: When it rains you will find a small lake inside your car. It leaks somehow through the windshield. The cluster instruments will go crazy sometime. The fuel gauge has stopped working many years ago. It only shows full or empty.

I had "as we all have" to replace the intake gaskets due to Coolant leaking and mixing with oil. I had to change Cadillac converter as car stalled & back pressure blow smoke up front. The AC has stopped working on this car on its 5th birthday. Steering wheel seems to be failing & whistles for some years now, adding oil every year to it. It will not start sometime due to its security BS supposedly has.

The ugly: I still have many of this problems re occurring and after spending $$Thousands$$ in repairs, especially the stalling thing again, I feel like this car will try to separate me from my hard earned cash as much as possible, or I can just sell it for peanuts, and take a solemn vow never to buy GM again, and advise all whom I care & love not to fall into an GM trap/nightmare again.

Original review: April 22, 2015

I recently purchased a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo LS. Everything about the body screams SS. From the race spoiler on the deck lid to the functioning air dam in the front it's outstanding. Everywhere I go people tell me my car is very nice to even beautiful. It's a metallic silver with very dark tinted windows and the stock cast aluminum rims are in excellent shape for a 13 yr old car. Inside it's seen a bit of abuse, there are a few burn holes in the fabric and on the drivers side door but other than that it's in great shape and is very clean with no stains or rips or tears in the fabric. It has the 3400 v6 engine. I've had to have a bit of work done having had to replace a water pump and radiator hoses but other than that it's been just general maintenance such as oil changes and cleaning the K&N air filter that came with it.

It's about due for new plugs and wires but still runs great. It's very good on gas, as one of me and my wife's favorite pastimes is to hop in the car and go for a ride with no destination in particular in mind. Even doing this we average around 20 to $25 a week in gas, so it's been economical for us to own. When we bought it, it had 110,000 actual miles on it and from what I've seen in shopping around looking to purchase a second Monte Carlo, this is very very good mileage for this type of car. I've looked at several models from the same yr and newer, and almost all of them far surpassed my car in mileage.

Even still, I've found that they all drive nice and smooth, but I've had a hard time finding one that has as tight of steering and pedal control like mine does. (I'm a fan of a good tight wheel and touchy pedals) Overall, I'm very happy with my car and am looking to purchase a second Monte Carlo as soon as I find one that I'm comfortable with and is in the right price range. I highly advise you to own one as mine is very dependable and doesn't cost me a fortune. It's a shame that Chevy stopped producing them after 2007.

Original review: March 21, 2015

I purchased a 2002 SS with 76000 miles on it. Have only had a few issues: Motor mounts were bad, needed new struts... the previous owner put a crap aftermarket converter that caused the mass airflow sensor to go bad. Other than that, no issues. To the guy who complained about rear suspension being shot... they are called struts. They don't last forever & your paint being crap, well wash it & put a good coat of wax on it. That's being a cry baby.

Original review: March 14, 2015

The car has had electrical problems since day one. I can pull the key out in the car, still runs. Sometimes the car just stops--all the lights start flashing. I am now trying to get it inspected. It failed because of a 420 code--bad catalytic converter. I just have a catalytic converter replaced in 2013. I've also had to have the radiator replaced and the intake manifold replaced. This seems like too many repair on one car. And the only recall notice I've ever gotten has to do with the ignition switch. The electrical system in the car is horrible. It's causing everything to go bad or seem to go bad.

Chevy Monte Carlo Company Information