Find a Car Buying Sites partner

3. Car Buying Sites

3.5/5 (89 ratings)
Find a Car Buying Sites partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About CarGurus

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

CarGurus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarGurus?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarGurus?

Original review: April 30, 2021

Do not take CarGurus up on their 2 month free trial as you will be charged for 1 month if you cancel at the end of the free trial - I have not sold one car from their free trials and will never deal with them again - waste of time.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I tried to list my car. I paid the fees needed by them but I did not pay the premium as I did not want to. I got a link. However when I search for my listing as a general person by giving the zipcode and limiting the miles from zip code, I did not see my listing. I looked at least 300+ miles from my place and still did not see my listing. I tried to call the helpdesk and I got a VM saying they are not able to take my call. I left a message and did not hear anything. I think their aim to make sure we go for premium listing. I felt always the dealer's vehicles were given more importance. I dont think I will go with Cargurus again. A big thank you to Cargurus for learning my lesson.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I kept getting my information forwarded to car dealers when they did not have the car I was interested in. Then I was told just to come down and get another car. Then when I posted my bad review I keep getting a message that said there was something wrong with my review! The site will not accept it when I unsubscribe. Very bad.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Tried to buy a car from Laura Buick in Sullivan via Car Gurus and all was good till I requested a test drive. It was in shop not AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE??? Salesperson took days to inform me it was not available.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Put up false information for the vehicles in order to sell them. Look at the Carfax and do your homework before purchasing from here or go somewhere else. CarGurus obviously do not like negative reviews and wants more added when I’ve seen reviews submitted with less.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

They allow fraudulent dealers to advertise on their site. I purchased a car on 1/16 from a dealer advertising on CarGurus. I have all the proof of purchase with the VIN, purchase price, etc. They told me the title was coming on the the 18th. I purchased it from a company named Auto Network Motor Group. I have since checked and the group is a registered car dealership in VA. The title did not come, and after a few weeks of back and forth, still no title and now, on 2/17/21, they are not answering my phone calls or emails.

Auto Network Motor Group has many cars on CarGurus for sale today, 2/17. When I alerted CarGurus that they have a fraudulent dealer on their site they replied they do not follow up on dealers and that unfortunately some dealers are are less reliable than others. CarGurus also says on its site that they have "reviews you can trust". Now, with some research, I realize the reviews are not trustworthy because it is extremely difficult to review a dealer on the site. Though I bought a car at Auto Network Group, I cannot review them because I did not contact them using the email contact from CarGurus, I called on the phone. It is so sad that a company would advertise as a way to "buy with confidence", and when things go wrong, tell those of us who use it, in effect, "so sad, too bad."

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I had multiple issues with the website and customer service that they never resolved. I had created two listings for my truck and my sports car. First and foremost, I couldn't access any messages from interested buyers in my truck on the site. Rather than send me an email like Cars.com, CarGurus forces people to use their messaging system and I could never access anything. I contacted customer service about this many, many times and eventually asked for a refund on my ad many, many times, but they refused. I ended the listing as it was useless. Cars.com and Craigslist produced more leads for me. Most of the messages I got about my car was just a message saying someone was interested in my car. Who cares! What a waste of time.

A minor issue I had was that I couldn't have two vehicles listed in 2 locations. Once I put my car in storage for the winter, it was in a different zip code as my truck. I wanted to reflect this in the ads so buyers knew how far they'd have to drive to see the vehicles. Once I changed the zip code for one listing, it was automatically changed for the other as well. I again contacted customer service and there was nothing they could do about. Such a simple little thing in the code to make the site more user friendly and they won't do it. They didn't even forward to the webmaster. I won't waste any money on CarGurus in the future after my poor experience with the site and with the lack of customer service.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I found the vehicle I was interested in buying on the CarGurus' site and messaged the seller through the website. I received follow up texts from both CarGurus and the seller with links (4) to see more information. Every link brought me to a page saying I didn't have access to that page. I sent an email to CarGurus explaining the situation and asked if the seller could contact me directly via email, they responded in a couple days asking for my account email address which I supplied. Several days later there was still no reply so I decided to contact the seller once again (this can only be done through CarGurus) and in the message box I gave the seller my email and phone number asking if he would contact me directly because of the problems of opening the links.

I received a text from CarGurus with another unusable link. I also received a text from the seller (this all goes through the CarGurus' website) asking if I had received his message and to click on the link to see it, this link told me to log in to my account to see the message. Once I logged in I was told that there were no messages (what a surprise). While this went on for over a week I continued to search for vehicles on internet and dealer websites. Fortunately I found the vehicle I was looking for along with excellent communications between the site, seller, and myself. Was my experience because the vehicle was being sold by a private seller and CarGurus is concerned about that seller stiffing them for the $99 fee? Seems very likely.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

CarGurus gives small dealerships the impression that they will create tons of customer leads for them when in actuality they only create a additional bill for that small business. Our small business was lured into a contract with them with promises of great customer turnover. CarGurus created no additional foot traffic or generated no phone calls or inquiries about our inventory. We were locked into a contract that we could not get out of and there was no adjustment to the pricing. We called to cancel the services and were told that there would be no cancelation until the end of the terms and even when the terms were done you still had to cancel at least 30 days out, or you would be billed for services for the next month.

We spoke to a representative named Kevin ** who was by far not the nicest individual at all. We explained that companies like CarGurus were helping to put small businesses out of business during these times of Covid 19 by locking small companies in to contracts and charging them for services that were not producing any results. Franchise Dealers may be able to afford these monstrous rates but our small independent dealership certainly could not afford it. He simply responded snidely "read your contract buddy, don't give me that." I then at that point asked to speak to a supervisor, which at that time he said there was none. I am simply trying to keep the doors to our business open during these tough times, and am only looking for a small sense of humanity from this Gigantic corporation called CarGurus.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Looked at two G37s for sale. Both cars in the Car Gurus ad had "No issues" In the prior damage history. Carfax on the other hand had "Major damage" on one from a Ford dealer in Mendon MA and a front end crash on the other G37 in Raynham MA. Who or whatever they are using to assess damage history on is 100% not reliable.

CarGurus Company Information