AAMCO

Compare Auto Service and Repair

Research top Auto Service and Repair recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They were very knowledgeable about my problems with my car. They were the 8th shop that I took my car to and they told me they would find my oil problem which they did. They fixed my oil pan, my transmission mounts, oil pressure switch, brake light switch, power steering hose. They let me know how much everything cost before they did any work. The best interaction I had with a repair shop in my life and I recommend this shop American International Automotive 845 N. Military Trail West Palm Beach, FL. 33415 AAMCO.

Very, very bad service. Went in with a small problem. They tried to tell me it was a bunch of stuff. Take advantage of you. Recommend to stay away. Robert the guy that runs the front is a car salesman. Watch out.

My brother had his transmission replaced by AMMCO Transmission located on Mt. Read Blvd in Rochester, NY in August 2016. He had my transmission replaced by another mechanic last summer (August 2015) which had a two year warranty and have had nothing but issues with that transmission. He tried multiple times to work with them to fix and they finally told me because the business was under new mgmt. that they could not honor their warranty. The new mgmt. said they can fix along with some other issues. However I would have to pay. He then took my car to AMMCO and work with Lou to get my vehicle fix. He was extremely pleased with their professionalism and attention to detail. He would recommend them highly. Thanks Lou.

I had full brake pads front and back, and rotors on the front applied along with a master cylinder in 2014. For almost over $800.00. About 3 months ago my brakes started squeaking when I backed out of the driveway each day. Since I have a 4 year old grandchild that I very frequently transport to her home to mine. I wanted to make sure that my brakes were good. They felt good, but just to verify. I have been going to this AAMCO for over 10 years and felt I could trust them. So, I dropped off my car at 8:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2016 (per their request) and waited for the call. And I took off work in order to be available to drop off and pick up that day. At 3PM on 10/12, I received a call telling me my rear brake rotors on the rear, were warped and the charge to replace them and pads would be 613.75. They would give me $50.00 discount and I had a $25.00 coupon, so the price would be 538.95. It should be ready by noon the next day.

I explained I had taken off work the previous day and only had the one vehicle, but it did not matter. On 10/13, I received a call at 9:30 AM telling me my vehicle was ready. I reminded them I would need a ride in, (their courtesy offer) and after missing a second day of work (and a very unhappy boss) someone showed up after 1:30 PM to pick me up. It is 6 miles between my home and the repair shop. First, I feel I was WAY overcharged for only installing two rotors/pads and they charged me $52 to clean my front brakes. Actual total for the bill was $614.00. GET REAL!! I questioned why my ceramic pads (they told me in 2014 they put the good pads on, ceramic) were bad after 2 years and was told that that is the life of most brake pads.

I am a single mom and on limited income so I will not be returning to this location 80907 for any further repairs. The time they kept my vehicle was appalling (29 hours) to merely do what was done to the vehicle and their schedule cost me an extra day's work resulting from AAMCO's next day's repairs and time I picked up my vehicle. NEVER again will I give AAMCO my business. Due to their excessive price and the time it took this time. This makes me sad because the mechanic mgr Steve there is a good honest guy. I do know I can trust him that the work needed was done.

This happened at the Leesburg, VA, AAMCO (same owner has three other AAMCO's in the area). Worst repair shop experience of my life - three months and running to fix a transmission for $6,100. I took the car in in late June (2016), got it back in late August after two months of lies from them, then, three days later, the transmission they rebuilt failed. They took three weeks to fix the second transmission, which then failed two days after that. It is almost October and I'm waiting for them to fix the transmission for the third time. Terry Bradley, the owner of the Leesburg, Chantilly, Sterling and Ashburn AAMCO locations, broke more than 10 promises that the vehicle would be completed very soon, in a few days, or some such claim. His staff promised to keep me updated, but (and I document all of this) failed to do so 13 out of 14 times over the three-month period.

After three weeks back in July, they told me they would pay for a rental car because of all the delays, but then, when I went to pick the vehicle up, they argued that the rental car bill was too high from the rental car company, Enterprise, that they sent me to (the owner finally did cover the bill). I was also charged $600 more - $6,100 instead of $5,500 - than the store manager originally told me the transmission rebuild would cost. The first round, they also forgot to install two parts - strut caps - that they were supposed to install while they had the transmission removed. They then forgot to order those strut caps during the second transmission fix.

Terry refused to offer me a rental car during the second and third rebuilds of the transmission even though he took several weeks longer than such a rebuild should take. So, I spent about $400 on a rental car while they apparently left my car sitting in their lot until they got around to fixing it. I would avoid any of these Loudoun/Fairfax County AAMCOs because they use the same mechanics and the owner of all four treats people the same way. I've already contacted the BBB and AAMCO about this experience. For their reputation, they should immediately cut ties with this group of four shops.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAMCO?

I took my car into this AAMCO on 9/6/16 because my check engine light had come on and I wanted them to do the free diagnostic reading to figure out what the problem was. Enrique, the manager, did the reading in under an hour and told me that the code had read that it was a "small emissions problem" and a smoke test would be required to see where exactly the air leakage was coming from. He told me that it would cost $250 for the smoke test and it would take 2 days to do it because they have to search very slowly for leaks.

I told Enrique that that price was very expensive and I couldn't afford it. He told me that anywhere I go I would have to get the test done to figure out what the problem was with the car. He said at least at AAMCO they could give me a print out of my diagnosis and I could take the car wherever I liked to get the repairs done if I didn't want to continue fixing it with their company. I authorized them to do a smoke test on 9/7/16 and found out that I was actually overcharged for the test. I asked World Auto Body and One Stop Auto Body in Eagle Rock how much a smoke test should cost, and they gave me values in between $75-$120.

On 9/8/16, I got a call from Enrique who explained that there was "vacuum pressure loss at the Vapor/Vacuum lines above the Gas Tank. The fuel tank would need to be removed (lowered) to inspect and repair those lines/hoses." The cost of that labor would be $620. I could not afford that price so I got a print out of this diagnosis, paid with my credit card for the smoke test. I decided to take the car someplace else for the remainder of the repairs. That same day, I brought the car to One Stop Automotive Repair in Eagle Rock and gave the manager Narcisso the print out or the diagnosis that AAMCO had done for me. I asked how much it would be to repair the vacuum lines or any leakages at the gas tank. He printed out an estimate of $350.

On 9/9/16, Narcisso did his own check engine light reading. He confirmed that "the malfunction code P0442 is active." He performed his own smoke test before lowering the fuel tank. He "smoked the evap service and removed the rear seat to inspect the fuel pump seal and found the seal to be well sealed at the time." He also "checked the fuel cap and the cap did not smoke and the cap seemed to be fairly new." There were no leaks in the vacuum lines. His smoke test diagnosed a different problem than AAMCO. He found that the "evap canister to be leaking". He recommended that the canister be replaced.

I was told by Narcisso that the misdiagnosis by AAMCO was grounds to ask for a refund for my smoke test reading. Not only was I overcharged by their garage but they said there was a problem with my car that didn't even exist. I have pictures and a video from the smoke test that Narcisso did to prove that there is only smoke coming out of the EVAP canister. The pictures and video show no smoke coming out of the fuel tank or vacuum lines.

First time I've been gaslighted as a sales pitch. I was misled, tricked. Once a car is taken apart, you're pretty much stuck and they know that. I paid to have my transmission resealed and if there were any additional parts needed, those would be extra. In other words, my transmission fluid must have been the right color and my car must not have shown signs of being damaged. My car was driving and shifting perfectly. No, take my car apart and then tell me I need my transmission rebuilt so that I can't take it to another mechanic or even donate it; a car must be complete.

So I try to get my car out of there, part of what I paid for being putting my car back together. No. Then I'm told it will take a couple of days. Then I get a multitude of sales pitches. I just want to tow my car out of there. Then they tried to charge me another 695 to put my car back together. They tried to tell me that I had agreed to a different service that didn't include the putting my car back together; I was being gaslighted. I'm not going back without a tow truck to rescue my car. So my car is still there. Still not sure what I'm going to do. I was googling RICO and racketeering and they meet the criteria.

How can we file a class-action lawsuit against them to stop these predatory practices? My daughter is grown. I can't imagine the stress they cause low-income families. Or their shady loan practices. Are people getting in serious financial trouble from being taken by these predators? This has been ridiculously stressful. How can a place that is so corrupt be able to legally operate in the United States of America? On the bright side, if you really hate someone, a gift certificate for AAMCO would be a great revenge. Please God, help me set my car from.

They did a free diagnosis and it took them twice to figure out what was wrong. Even after I had thoroughly explained it. After they had checked my transmission from the outside the problem got WORSE. They also wanted $456 non refundable just to diagnose what was wrong with my transmission... I went to Gary's transmission instead. DO NOT GO TO AAMCO unless you want to pay top dollar.

I took my car in for coolant flushed and thermostat put in and oil change. Then it overheated and my son in law said the thermostat was in wrong and no oil so AAMCO towed it from Tennessee to McDonough, Ga. And they said it was my radiator blocked so I believe them because when I lived in Seattle that's where I took my car because I have a warranty who has a contract with AAMCO and my car is still not fixed. They keep telling me lies so I called corporate and they have not done anything. A lady I talked to said she would get to the bottom of it and has not called me back and from other reviews that seems like a trend. This is not good business.

Not only was I overcharged HUNDREDS of dollars. Had to bring car in OVER and over. Company couldn't repair. Brought in for damaged throwout bearing. Picked it up and over 4,100$ later still had bad bearing at pickup. Was told to bring in again. Left same problem. Now the transmission sounds like it's gonna fall out and engine hesitates when gas pedal isn't depressed. They say bring in again. You've got to be kidding. Called corporate over and over. No one returns calls. Had Mike ** secretary answer. NASTY NASTY!!! And I just asked to speak to someone!!! BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY.

I the AAMCO in Sherwood Oregon really screwed me. I took my car in to get a oil pressure line on a fuel pump put in. Well it was on December 7th of 15 and when I got the car back and as I was driving it home it started killing off. Finally died. I pulled over to the side of the road. Try to start it again and it just click click so I went in, look under the front of the car under the hood and here there was a oil leak that leaked on the front of the plastic not on the motor so I didn't see no smoke. Well I had a tow truck. I called and called and called. A tow truck came and picked it up and brought it back there and they told me that it was their fault that the oil pressure line had not been tightened down and it blew off. Well then they said they had to keep the car and machine it because the motor was seized.

Well I had a bunch of oil leak problems. After that I found I could get the Mac Auto just about a week ago and they told me or they showed me I should say the underneath of the car because AAMCO told me they fixed all the oil leaks and it kept leaking but now called or showed me that it was all blue sealant all the way along the bottom of the motor. They tried filling it up with blue gasket sealant and it's just leaking through that and on top of it all my car was shaking after that and I called it AAMCO on that and I said "oh yeah you need a modem or AAMCO headset." My car motor on to my friend and left it sit there and I'm just really really disappointed and I'm guy and if anybody out there knows how I can get help to deal with people like this please let me know because I got to do something. I got a one-year-old baby and it's just terrible.

All AAMCO could be that way and they're saying they ain't going to fix anything else and I need to do some so this is my story about AAMCO. Don't ever take your vehicle to the Sherwood Oregon and call because they really screw people over that are disabled. I'm on SSI and they screwed me over so don't ever take your car there and on top of it all the manager told me that he could not tell his boss or he would be fired. Volvo and Mac auto pros said they should have put another motor in instead of rebuilding the bottom of the motor as it can cause a lot of other parts to fail.

Brought my 2004 Ford Van in for transmission repair. After a "free" check, I was told they couldn't determine what needed to be repaired unless they took my transmission apart (cost over $750.00 - no repairs included). At this time I was also told if it needed just the normal repairs the total cost would be $1350.00 (this included the $750.00 take apart charge). I was also told if "hard parts" were needed it would result in additional costs. I gave them the go ahead. I was called back and told there was a lot of damage and the cost would be $3500.00. I told the service manager that felt I should just junk the car and limit my loss to the $750.00 evaluation fee (which I deeply regret not doing).

The service manager then tells me the car is in such great shape that it should be repaired and I could get probably another 10 years out of it. I told him I couldn't afford the cost and he got instant approval for an AAMCO credit card with a $5500.00 limit. I finally agreed to the repairs but only to the quoted cost of $3500.00. Six days go by and I call to find out if my car is ready. I was told yes, but they were doing some final test and I could pick it up the next morning. About 15 minutes later, I get a call back telling me that the total charge would be nearly $4000.00. I told him that I was quoted just under $3500.00 and was told that this new total was due to sales tax (which I was lead to believe was included in the $3,500.00) and a whole bunch of additional charges I was never told about and did not approve. Even if the sales tax was not included as I was lead to believe it would have only been $245.00, not bringing the bill up to $4000.00.

The call was ended by the service manager telling me that I would see everything on the bill when I came in to pick up my vehicle the next day. I feel I was deliberately misled to achieve additional profits and this happened with them knowing (I told them about my health issues and I have to wear a Life Vest (an external defibrillator) which is visible to anyone) I am a disabled senior with major heart issues (congestive heart failure) that will probably lead to death in the near future. My conversations with AAMCO Winter Haven have produced no results or efforts to correct these problems.

Fairview Heights, ILLINOIS. April 1, 2016 I was 100 miles from St. Louis, MO, when my transmission failed. Eventually, my car was towed to AAMCO Transmissions in Fairview Heights, IL, on April 2. I get there on Monday, Apr 4, and asked about my options. After the diagnostic they told me that the transmission needs to be replaced. "How is that?" I asked. "You are a transmission company, can you just repair it?". And you know what? NO! THEY CANNOT REPAIR! They can only rebuilt it! And rebuilding will cost $3500.

And they told me, that it would be better just to put in a used transmission. "Ok. Do you have one?" asked I. They told me that they will find a used transmission for me. After few hours of waiting they told me that they've got a used transmission for $1100. I asked about the warranty on this transmission and this Kevin the manager told me that it is 90 days parts and labor warranty. I thought it was a very great deal and I agreed. He made a photo copy of my credit card information. As I stuck in Fairview Heights with my wife and child, I had not much options to choose from. I left my car there at AAMCO and asked my friend to pick us up. And that day, 04-04-16, we left for our home in Omaha, NE.

On 04-06-16 my card was charged for $1100 for a transmission. The next day Kevin called me to tell the car is ready but they cannot charge my card because of some issues. I told him that I will be there on Friday, Apr 8, and pay in person. I took a bus to get to St. Louis and then an Uber to get to Fairview Heights. Everything seemed to be good, I paid $900 for labor in cash, except I noticed that in AAMCO receipt there is not a single word about the transmission itself. I asked this Kevin about it and after that he gave me an invoice for this transmission assembly from Something Auto Parts to Kevin's and AAMCO name. After that I managed to drive back safely to Omaha.

In two weeks this transmission failed. I brought the car to local AAMCO in Omaha with all the papers from Fairview Heights AAMCO and left. The next day they called me and told that Fairview Heights AAMCO refused to pay for this warranty repair because I HAD BOUGHT THE TRANSMISSION MYSELF and THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE LABOR!!! I tried to explain that I didn't bought anything by myself, I ordered a comprehensive transmission service. But all was useless! The local AAMCO manager said he doesn't care about anything! It is my problem to solve with Fairview Heights AAMCO shop! I tried to call Fairview Heights AAMCO several times. And the only thing I hear that I bought it myself and it's my problem now! This AAMCO shop just scams people by installing crappy parts, taking money for labor, and then reinstalling them again and again! Taking money for labor again and again! That's quite a business!

And you know what they include to their "parts and labor warranty"?? WARRANTY FOR TRANS. OIL AND OIL FILTER!!! And when I decided to get my car back from local AAMCO shop, manager told me that I got what I deserve because didn't want to rebuild my transmission and just wanted to save some money! THEY ARE JUST BIG FAT SCAMMERS!!! Filing a claim to the court.

I took my 5 year old Chevrolet to the AAMCO transmission shop located at 875 N. McQueen RD in Gilbert, AZ because it was not shifting out of 2nd gear properly. After I paid $3,618.39 for transmission repairs, the car did exactly the same thing on the drive home. I returned twice and was guaranteed twice that the owner would call me. He did not, so I called him (and I assume was accidentally put thru). He said he needed until Friday to review the file and he would call me back then. No call! I called international customer service for AAMCO and was told that the local owner would call me AND that they would call me back to verify that he had called. No call from anyone!!

My last trip to AAMCO, the office manager of the day, met with all the mechanics then came into the lobby and told me that they didn't what was wrong with my transmission. So, I paid them $3,618.39 to not fix my car. Further, I next took the car back to the Chevrolet service department and was told the transmission fluid was 2 quarts low and no leaks were found. They also said fluid that low could cause "possible internal damage due to lack of fluid". Draw your own conclusions. Never even consider using AAMCO. What's especially galling is that this shop has an ad on this site making promises that they couldn't or wouldn't provide me.

Caution, caution people. ** is bad for business. I took my car to his shop on April 19, 2016 at 8 am to see if he could tell me what was wrong with it. And all I kept getting was calls from him every other day saying what he believed was wrong with my car. He did not know what was wrong with it so I finally went up there to get my car a week later and my car was in a worse condition than when I bought it. I drove my car there and after he worked on it I had to get it towed away from there. He said he did a diagnostic which he tried to charge me $250.00 and said he need $1350.00 in total for a 2003 Honda Accord. He wrote out his diagnostic on a piece of paper from research from the internet and I told him that I was not paying for his incomplete services. He proceeded to call the cops on me, which resulted in me paying him $250.00 just for him to screw what he took off, the top cover of a valve SMH.

AAMCO at their other location in Cherry Hill was the best. I use to take my car there and it would be done right and at a timely fashion. ** at this other place 617 Chapel Ave in Cherry Hill, he is SUCKS big time... This guy is ripping people off. He also told me if I paid the $1350.00 he could not guarantee me that my car will be fix. WOW. That's when I lost it and rushed my car out of there. This guy is a JOKE. I will never ever recommend ** from AAMCO 617 Chapel Ave unless it was my worst enemy.

On April 20th, 2016, at 3:00 pm, I had to request police assistance in retrieving my client's vehicle from the AAMCO at 8225 E. Butherus Dr, Ste 1, in Scottsdale, AZ 85260. They claimed the damage to the vehicle's front driver side shock would make them liable unless I towed it off the property, or had them replace it. But they refused to give me a price for the work. Although they were aware that I work for a security agency and handle vehicle maintenance for my site, they said they would only discuss the terms with my supervisor or client.

When the police arrived, they relinquish the vehicle without hesitation. It appeared it was moved to the front parking area the moment the police were on the property. If they gave me a price, I would have given them the work and more in the future. But I will never return. The mechanic at another shop said there would be no danger if I drove the vehicle for a day, while waiting for the new parts to arrive, and there wasn't.

Took my car for repair, was charged more than I should be. Diagnosed the problem, paid and fixed. Found another problem, had to pay. They broke my locking system while trying to diagnose the problem and they refused to take care of the problem they caused. They left my car outside the shop overnight... The Petaluma shop has a manager with a very bad attitude and rude. If not fix the problem, I will take a swift legal action against AAMCO.

I know cars quite well and have been repairing my own vehicles for over 35 years. I used to work at several auto repair shops but quit the business because of rampant scams. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra that was experiencing problems. I was on vacation in Cheyenne, WY and did not have my tools on hand, so I decided to stop into the AAMCO Transmissions in Cheyenne to have them check the problem. The truck felt like the auto transmission was slipping at low RPM's, but it also could have been a tune problem causing poor idle & low RPM performance. The shop said they would check the problem for free so I felt I had nothing to lose.

After getting the truck in the shop, the Manager called me and told me that indeed the transmission was faulty and that it was at risk of total failure at any moment. He warned me that failure to replace the transmission immediately could leave me stranded, and end up costing even more money. He was quite convincing. He gave me an estimate of some $4,500 to replace the transmission. Skeptical, I found someone with a decent of tools, and decided to check the problem myself. After a few minutes of testing I found that one of my fuel injectors was faulty, causing the poor performance, and rough running at low RPM. The transmission was not faulty at all, the engine was just misfiring at low speed. I replaced the faulty fuel injector at a cost of $85, and the truck ran perfectly again.

Please be warned before ever trusting an AAMCO Transmission shop. Several AAMCO franchisees have also posted warnings regarding the corporate offices. The complaints state that what I experienced is standard AAMCO operating procedures. Regardless of the true problem, get the customer's vehicle in the shop and replace the transmission, at a hefty price. AAMCO franchisees are told to follow certain pre-written scripts to convince customers that they need to replace transmissions that have no problems. Just do an internet search for "AAMCO scam" for detailed complaints.

My 1994 Ford F150 was having shifting problems. I took it to AAMCO thinking they were the best at what they do. Yes, they are the best at what they do which is ripping people off. They charged me $4000.00 to rebuild my tranny plus fix some other things. So I'll say $3000.00. Luckily I bought the 3-yr. extended warranty. After I got it back after two weeks it still ran the same!!! After 2 yrs and maybe 20 trips back and forth they finally got it right. It was the ** speedometer that was causing the shifting problems!! They put in a used one that probably costs $200.00 at the most. They tested various components after the tranny was rebuilt. They should have done this before they ** me. In other words they charged me the highest price instead of testing to find out what was really the problem. I wonder if a class action suit or something can be done about AAMCO transmission shops?

I took my daughter's car in for a water pump. They told me they would replace the timing as well since they had to remove it anyway. Well that was a lie. They charged us 560$ for work that they didn't even do. The timing chain broke 2 hrs after picking up car. The service sucked. Their guy Kevin at the front tried to charge me 758$. He lied several times. I have it recorded so my lawyers are gonna love this. Do not go here. It needs to be closed permanently. I asked to speak to owners but with no avail. I was told they were in another state. Bad business. Very bad business. My daughter is a college student and they basically took her money. Very bad business.

I am writing this letter in to inform you of treatment I received at Aamco Transmission, located at 2319 S Lee's Summit Rd Independence, MO 64055. I had an AVM stroke in July 2014 so I'm living at my best and I bought an Audi A4 (financed) from Drivetime in December 2015 and had problems ever since. The coil went out, my turbo stopped working and it needed spark plugs. I bought a warranty so they had me take it to Aamco, where I found out I needed to have transmission mounts and service updating. The warranty company sent me to the Audi dealership for service but then said they charge too much and I would have to take my car back to Aamco. This happened at the end of January.

Then on Super Bowl Sunday my car died. They said the engine blew. My car has sat in the shop for 47 days before being returned to me. They said they had a problem with the new motor and instead of ordering a new one they were authorized to fix it. These 47 days I have been writing Drivetime, who I bought the car from, informing them I'm paying for a product that I don't have.

On Friday, March 25, 2016 I picked up my car. Immediately I could tell something was off but I couldn't tell what. I called the shop asking them if they did anything to my vehicle and **, the representative said no. I had to go to work but when I got off, I was driving on the highway and noticed they replaced my windshield and didn't even replace it right. I’m hearing and feeling wind enter through the windshield. Then my service light and my check engine light is on, there's a popping sound coming from my trunk, the RPMs levels rise to 8, I lost to a Mazda, and I just got the car back four days ago!

I talked to the warranty company and asked them if I could just pay a higher deductible and get my car fixed at the Audi dealership but they said they paid over $6,000.00 so I have to take it back to Aamco. I informed them that my car is in worse condition than I brought it in with and they replaced my windshield unauthorized. They told me I have to take it back and so I did.

I questioned **. I asked what were they going to do since 47 days have gone by and they ain't done nothing. I asked about my windshield being replaced and he denied it. I told him, I own a website and I talk about how a rock flew off an eighteen wheeler and hit my window. I have pictures of the original window. There was an Audi glass symbol, just like there is on all the other windows in my car. My Missouri state inspection or my Customs sticker is not in the window but the main thing is ya'll didn't put it in right. It's unsafe. ** replied, "I am not saying that you don't have all this proof, I'm just saying that I didn't change your glass." This statement lets me know even if he didn't change it directly, he knows who did.

I asked for him to call the employees as this matter is important but he told me he would not disturb them on their day off. I asked for the owner's information and business insurance and he said he doesn't know it. Well who signs your check? I asked, but again he didn't know. So you don't know anything? I asked and he told me when he wants to reach the owner he e-mails him. He gave me the e-mail address but it leads to the shop. I looked on the Secretary of State website, got the registered agents information and called. ** at **, answered and said he sold the business 18 months ago but he doesn't have the info on who he sold it to. I told him, "Your name is listed as the registered agent of this business and until I get some information that I can validate, you're the person I'm gonna call." He hung up the phone.

I feel that I should have my car fixed at the Audi dealership and my window replaced right. I feel like no one is in my corner. The shop denies any wrong doing and the warranty company and Drivetime informed me there is a dispute between the shop and I. I have documentation of this whole ordeal, pictures, and I talk about it freely on my website. I'm asking for your help because I don't want to keep doing this. I seriously have been out of the car more than I been in it (got it in December 2015). I was just trying to live a dream but dreams change. I had an AVM stroke and couldn't walk. I rehabbed myself in the name of Jesus to where I am now. I thank the Lord but this is a problem that I just can't deal with.

My name is Joshua and I am very dissatisfied with my service at AAMCO. My wife and I had just had a baby, and things were going well then my transmission breaks down. She's on maternity leave, so I've got plenty of time to get it fixed right? So I call my warranty company, they were great. I'm quoted and covered.

Then a week later, A WEEK LATER!!! I get a call from AAMCO. The true cost of my repair is $2000 over the original cost! Are you kidding me??? How does a transmission rebuild for my 01 Acura cost more than $3000?? So I said "wait". I take a couple days to find a new plan and find someone to fix it for less. I explain my plan to the manager and he says he will call me after he talks to my warranty company. 3 days later, 3 DAYS LATER!!! I call him and he says he is waiting for me to call him??? I explain again my plan. He says he will call them tomorrow... it was like 2pm. Why not now?? Tomorrow nothing.

I call him and he says he has spoken with his district manager, and he will bring it back down to the original 3 plus some out of pocket which I was going to pay in taxes anyway. To this point they haven't offered a used transmission, they haven't explained the cost of a brand new transmission (which I could have bought myself and had another shop put in for the cost of $4000) so I agree. (But here's a kick in the pants for you. If one phone call to another shop gets my priced knocked down by $1500 then there is definitely something wrong with the original price...)

Week three they fix my car. Finally. I'm without a car for a month, which is ridiculous... but at least it is done. I get my car back, pay what I owe, and not even 12 hours later the light is blinking on the dash and my car won't shift. Cool. They were going to charge me $5000 to not fix my car... I'm real impressed. I looked at my receipt. I looked up the parts. As usual they have a significant mark-up on parts. Guys, I found a torque converter for $205 and they charge $425 plus tax and labor. The mark-up is similar for the other parts I found. I wish I had done it myself. Given a month I could've and it would've cost me much less. Thousands less than $5000.

I took it back in to have it looked at, they take it for a test drive, crash it, and then wait 'til I contact them to tell me. No work can get done 'til the claim gets done (1day). Then the claim can't get done 'til the work gets done (1 day). Then they don't know what's wrong with it (1day)... still don't know (1 more day). "We have to pull it out" (1 day). Next day, still have to pull it out (1 more day). Basically, I'm 6 weeks without a car, $3600 in the hole and in the same place I was in 6 weeks ago. I have no faith that they will complete this job in a decent amount of time. I give them at least 2 more weeks with body work for my door and the transmission fix. 8 weeks. 2 months. They haven't offered to cut the cost, provide me a rental, or help me in any other way. I was told I would receive a call about it. Even calling them every day hasn't lit the fire under their asses.

I'm not sure my relationship with them can be repaired and I really don't want anyone else to have to put up with this kind of crap. This has cost me much more than my bill. My wife goes back to work this week, if I can figure out a way to get her car. I had to go into debt just to pay for the tranny, so who knows. Pray, I guess. (6 weeks later) My estimation was correct, took them two weeks to fix the tranny and get an "estimation" on the damage. THEN they called their insurance. Who then sent out a guy to get an estimation! We waited a week for them to either do nothing or go get a useless unnecessary estimation done on my car. No apologies. The guy didn't say a word to my wife when she picked up my car. Just held out the keys as he dealt with another customer. My car is now at the body shop. Still being repaired. I'm convinced they did more damage than help, and I had to pay them for it.

We took all of our company trucks to have transmissions rebuilt at a cost of $2800 for cheapest to 5500 for the most expensive. Had problems with two trucks so far and when you take truck back, it sits in unsecured lot for days before they even look at it. Then it ends up costing hundreds of dollars more for parts that should have been replaced at time of rebuild. Would not recommend AAMCO to my worst enemy. This transmission didn't even last a year. Save time and money and buy a rebuilt one for cheaper and a longer warranty. Friendly guys who work there but I don't like to pay for conversation. AAMCO, you're a fraud and I pray you go under from screwing people out of their hard-earned money. If you're in Colorado, shop around and don't go to AAMCO. They will waste your time and money. Karma will prevail one day. This is AAMCO at 8808 West Colfax in Denver. Franchise or not, you're using the AAMCO name. Shame on you.

We've been working with Aamco @ 1711 Wilmington Pike, Glen Mills PA since prior to 11/20/2014. Had Transmission put into our 2000 Lexus. After returning 14 times for transmission leaking and being fixed over and over again. Had to return car again 3/07/2016 for what, transmission leaking. Went to pick up on 3/11/2016 only to find transmission fluid under the car again. Oh ya we had a warranty and they did extend it due to the number of times we had it back, though we are finally fixed. Called home office, all they do is call the shop. Owner will not give permission for us to take car to another Aamco dealer.

I have a Chevy Silverado, lifted a little and kept up. Never taken off road, just always took care of my truck. I started to have some slipping issues and took it to the AAMCO around here. I did not see any negative reviews or complaints about this shop. I have been burned in the past with another AAMCO. When talking to owner of shop, I did tell him I was skeptical about bringing it to him. He assured that he was going to not be like that shop and he was better and straightforward. After paying thousands to get it rebuilt and back I really don't drive it. I bought a second car to keep miles off truck and save on gas and tires. 3500 miles and 6 months, it started acting like it was slipping and transmission not displayed on screen. I was like omg, what is going on!!

I called the shop immediately and spoke with the owner, he asked me to bring it back asap. I did and was told that the valve body was wrong and had to replace. So after losing truck another week he said it was done. Also to call if I have any issues but he said he thinks it straight. Now being a few months later and still in the first year, only putting less than 6000 miles on truck all year, it started acting up again. I called and he said I need to bring it back. Well now I'm a little pissed. We talked and after hearing about how busy he is, I told him I need it back asap. I planned to take it Monday. He also said that maybe it could be the computer and my jaw dropped. Really the computer!?? Umm I am far from dumb but it is not the computer.

It's definitely the Transmission and it's leaking and slipping and once again I will be without it. No check engine light ever came on, hardly any miles, and time actually on the new one. I just ran to the store and had to grab a few things. Well needless to say, the transmission completely stopped driving and transmission not once again displayed on the screen. I just got towed back home. Truck will be going to back to the shop Monday am and I am not happy with this shop right now. Stuck with a tow bill, and now stuck at home while truck sits. I can only hope that they don't try to give me the push over, runaround and have it fixed. I need it back Friday. I have a feeling that this will not be my last review. Burned twice by this company. Promise that I will go elsewhere and not deal with this hassle again...

I wanted to give a big shout out to Glenn new management over at AAMCO on 23rd in Seattle, WA. Very kind. He is cleaning up the mess from the last people running this place. He's doing a stellar job. Also the tech Mike that is fixing my car nice guy. I believe I found a new place to take my car when something needs to be done. I'm gonna give five stars all across the board. Thanks guys for all your help.

Was quoted reasonable 2000 for transmission repair, was told for 600 more I could have a remanufactured one, then was told it would be 3000 total. Then when I showed up it was 3400+ and was told I would have 3-5 year 100k warranty. Come to find out I don't have any warranty. No points exist, no record of anything, not even the diagnostic. Found out about paperwork after I came in because I was told new management, ha, I was fooled again my fault for being cup half full. 475 tips for timing and water pump left at 798. Again strong armed since the parts were on my car and I needed it. I have records at home, will gladly share.

Also was told to come here instead of going to car maker's shop and I would receive a discount as I am a veteran. Instead it seemed my fees were fluffed. I felt it was what it was and accept it all until I found out my warranty was non existent and my car won't even start now. Now they want me to pay for more stuff that isn't related nor have I had issues with before they worked on my car. Help me please!

So I went to go get my car (Toyota Minivan Sienna) fixed at AAMCO Transmission located at Colorado and Glendale. So my car's transmission stopped working and I took it there because I thought it would do a well job since it's a popular place. They have had my car for more than a month and I have not yet gotten my car back. I have called and gone in person many times. They told me that there was a part that was failing and they were going to charge me $350 dollars to fix it. I originally had spend $2931.00 for them to fix my transmission. I ended up ordering the piece myself which cost me $106.00. I took my car in on December 2015, it is currently January 21, 2016 and I do not have my car back. I think it is time to sue because whenever I call, they say they will call me back, it will be ready tomorrow or in 48 hours, and I have been waiting for way too long because it has been more than a month.

I had an awful experience at one of your stores- the one located in Lisle, IL. I needed just a diagnosis and they asked me to leave the car with them, the whole day. They were suppose to call me when is done- never happened. So, before their closing time, I went back with my husband and asked what's going on (Jan 15th, around 4pm-4:30pm if you have cameras). Extremely relaxed and rude, the "boss" told me that's a very delicate matter and they need time- "maybe a day, maybe two, maybe three. Who knows??" When I asked why didn't he told me that from the very beginning, he yelled at us to "get the F out of here, **!!!" Another employee came and start yelling at us. So we left. It is UNBELIEVABLE how rude they are and they should be hold responsible for this.

I had Aamco tow my car to look at it. The transmission was slipping. They told me the tow fee would be $79.00. When the tow truck arrived at my house the fee was $180.00. So I called Aamco and told them that the tow truck guy wants $180.00. They told me that is not their problem. So I got my car back. Now my battery is dead. It was not dead when I gave it to them. They are very rude and dishonest, be careful.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Anthony A. Martino opened his first auto repair shop, focusing primarily on transmission repair, in 1957 and expanded the Anthony A. Martino Company (AAMCO) in the early 1960s. The franchise now has more than 650 locations in the United States and offers a wide variety automotive services.

• Franchise locations: AAMCO has independently owned and operated franchises, so exact services, prices and discounts vary by location. This fact also means that when customers visit their local AMMCO, they are supporting local business owners.
  • iGAAUGE: The AMMCO app serves as a roadside companion. It can tell users how far they are from the nearest AMMCO location, help them remember to keep a regular preventative maintenance schedule, chat with a technician to troubleshoot automotive problems and more. The app can be downloaded on Apple and Android devices.
  • Transmission services: AAMCO’s founder originally focused primarily on the new demand (in the 1950s) for servicing automatic transmissions. The company continues to provide a wide variety of transmission services, including the most comprehensive transmission services in the industry the Power Purge® and Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush.
  • Warranties: Warranties that come with products consumers purchase at one AAMCO or extended warranties purchased from one location will be honored at all franchise locations.
  • Best for AMMCO offers services to help any consumer who wants their auto serviced and/or repaired by professionals, especially those who are looking for a brand with locations nationally.

Compare Auto Service and Repair