Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.59/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

754 AAMCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2019

Eddie at the AAMCO Fort Walton Beach FL was a wonderful help to us while on vacation there. The air in our Dodge Ram truck stopped working. We found the AAMCO on the Internet. Even though the store was closed that day Eddie said he would meet us there and fix our air. He did and it made our vacation so much more enjoyable. Thanks Eddie. Earl and Pat

Original review: May 1, 2019

Rob & Mechanics were able to repair my Toyota Sequoia's starter motor in a timely manner!! Thank you for your wonderful pricing!! I had a question after the repair had been completed and Rob & Mechanics took time to research to find answers and were able to answer my questions! I highly recommend Rob & Mechanics at Aamco Total Car Care located at 95 West Main Street, American Fork, Utah!! Thank you!!

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2019

My recent experience to repair my transmission at Mahopac AAMCO was more than worth it. I have a G8GT and if you're a car guy reading this, you know that it has the L76 big block engine. This is a car enthusiasts machine so when my transmission codes came flashing on my warning screen, I knew it was major with 130,000 miles on the car. Then dealer where I purchased the car said it was not worth fixing. My car is very clean so I was quite put off. I then thought of perhaps repairing it with AAMCO which turned out to be the best option. Dennis is the manager of AAMCO in Mahopac NY. He took the time to explain and keep me informed of the progress. 5 days later, I had my car with a smooth transmission.

I drove the car for a while and became concerned of a noise I was hearing when pressing and lifting my foot off the pedal as what would be done in traffic. Now this sound was there there prior to taking to AAMCO so I really wanted to make sure it was not related to the transmission. Dennis had me immediately bring the car in and we took a ride together. So not only did Dennis identify the noise as being normal in my car due to the high power and torque and not in the transmission (I believe it comes from what is called the pumpkin in cars), but he also showed me had to correctly use the sport manual mode, which increased my driving pleasure immensely. I have been having a blast on the twisties going to work everyday. I also saved thousands of dollars from buying a used car. Thank you AAMCO, their service technicians, and a special thanks to Dennis.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have a 2002 Toyota 4runner almost in factory condition. I've never trusted anyone to work on my truck unless they prove their abilities by... clearly stating what they plan to do - by proving that any work done is clearly needed by taking pictures and documenting everything to my satisfaction before proceeding. Back in the day I had my own auto garage. I know how things work.

I met a young man named Ted ** at the AAMCO on PCH HARBOR CITY. I only ever took my truck to Toyota dealership where I bought my 4runner... I will now only take my 4runner to Ted ** at AAMCO. He hooked me up... my truck like new again... my new rebuilt transmission unlike Toyota they only replace the trans with a different rebuilt trans and only 1 year warranty... (AAMCO 3 year warranty) new radiator, new flywheel, all new rocket cover gaskets, new main rear seal. They even cleaned all and any sludge off the back of the motor from the years of leaking gaskets. I got pictures of before and after. All work was done in 4 days. I needed a rental so Ted showed his concern and got it done. (AAMCO HAS A LIFER) THANK YOU TED **.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

A female friend and I received work on our transmissions about two months apart. We choose the Glendale location on 51st ave north of Glendale Ave in Glendale Arizona. She has a 2005 Buick Park Avenue and I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox both needed a transmission rebuild. I needed some extra hard parts for the Chevy Equinox that was not included in a normal rebuild. We spoke to a young man very friendly and knowledgeable I might add and we also did speak to a young lady named **. Our thought were that both vehicles would need to be sold as is because of the cost of repairs. Well was not needed to sell either one. The job cost was very reasonable compared to other shops and we received five free oil changes on each vehicle.

I am very hard of hearing on the phone so the Technician who worked on my vehicle was texting me or it may have been the store Manager ** but I did have an easy time communicating with them through text. Also I want to say I had some work done at another shop about one month or a little less (Not Aamco I am sorry to say).

Anyways the Technician who worked on my vehicle found out that the left front axle was clicking and making some other sort of noise. When I took it back to the other shop I was told, "Oh when we just checked it out yes the right front axle is defective." HELLO! Ok so what if Aamco would not have addressed this issue to me and me being hard of hearing would not have heard the clicking noise. So to say that if I was not told to take it back where it was serviced and driving on the interstates 60 or 70 well... I would probably not be writing this review.

Ok I hope I got my point across. This location deserves ten stars but I cannot do it. Please give them a call and make an appointment for at least an inspection and quote. You will not be sorry. Technicians are wonderful also. Good luck to all you workers at the 51st ave north of Glendale location. You have my business from now on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAMCO?

Original review: May 3, 2019

Highway robbery for labor only on an oil change. I took my car to get an oil change and spark plugs put in. I had my own oil, filter, and plugs. When I asked how much it would be I was told their master mechanics price every car individually. This sounded odd, but I needed it done that day and I thought how much can a service cost? I expected if they're more expensive than the $25 someone else would charge, I may end up paying $40-$50 max. About an hour or so later I got a call to let me know the labor is $100 which is completely absurd pricing for a 15 minute job. I'll never take my car to AAMCO again for anything.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I went there to get my Dodge Ram 3500 looked at and serviced with a tune-up. They told me they needed to look more into the transmission and needed to take things apart because something was really wrong with it and it was unsafe to drive it, they told me they weren't sure what was wrong with it. They quoted me $3500 minimum!! WHAT?! I went and got a second opinion because I had just got it looked at by a friend and he said nothing was wrong with it. I drove it to the second place. The second place told me that it just needed a tune-up and transmission flush. I had then do it, paid for it. Now it's not running hot anymore and it's been fine ever since. AAMCO in Gresham Oregon was going to charge me $3500 for absolutely no reason. They said they wouldn't do a tune-up because they needed to look more into it first! Wow. So annoyed!!

Original review: April 12, 2019

The shop had my car towed in for repairs. I will start out by saying I have no complaint in reference to the repair to my car. They did a great job in that area. My complaint is about my car being there for month and not being advised of damage caused while in their care until I walk in the door the day before I pick it up. Was told about damage to the interior handle when I got there, and after paying them for the actual work they completed we pull off and make a turn and the driver side mirror folds in because it's now broken.

I called and spoke to the owner and all he kept saying was my car is old and that it was like that when it arrived, but couldn't explain why they never told me...Mirror not even on paperwork they gave me, and they took the car for a test drive so he said so they would have known it was broken. File a case against them not because they don't do great work but because they don't take ownership for their mistake which I'm sure when they see this the response will be the car is old...

Original review: April 10, 2019

My 2004 Chevy Malibu with 107,000 Miles had been idling rough. Took the car to Aamco. They said I needed a "service" on my Transmission. Paid $180.00 and drove 200 miles/2 days then the car went into limp mode (meaning the car still runs but won't go into a high gear or over 30mph because it's about to breakdown). I called Aamco right away and they totally dismissed me. "Sorry... We hear that a lot but it could be anything. It's not our fault" they said. Really!!?? My car had every service done on time and only had 107,000 miles. It was running fine 2 days before! Just had a slight rough idle. I will NEVER go to Aamco ever again! I know that the Chevy Malibu isn't the best car but it wasn't the worst. And I also know now that you're not supposed to do a transmission service on a car if it's never been done before. It should be done every 50,000 miles or not at all. Something Aamco failed to tell me. Pretty much paid them to ruin my car.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I had my engine replaced in my 2003 VW Beetle. When I picked the car up there were issues that did not exist before they worked on the car. There was a broken EVAP canister and they wanted to charge me another 1200.00 for this part. I bought the part from Pep Boys for 350.00. There is an airbag sensor warning light that was not on before. They told me I would have to take it to a dealer and spend more money because they don't really work on these. The automatic headlights do not work and they said it is because the battery is weak. They based this on the fact that they looked on the internet and that's what it said. The battery is fine, starts the car every time. What it boils down to is that I already paid the 4K for the motor replacement and they don't want to be bothered to fix these issues that were nonexistent before they worked on the car. I will NEVER conduct ANY business with AAMCO again!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I own a 2006 Lexus GS 300 with only 69** miles on it. A few months ago, the vehicle began to downshift hard from 2nd to first right around 8mph on deceleration and braking. I took my vehicle to the AAMCO franchise located at 2339 Loop 410 NW in San Antonio, TX. I initially took the vehicle in and had them do a diagnostic on it which they stated passed. I was advised that they'd need to pull the tranny in order to diagnose the problem further. I agreed, upon inspection, I was advised by Tim and Tim the mechanic that I'd need to have the transmission rebuilt due to a valve body issue/failure. Again I agreed, the work was completed. I drove the vehicle off the lot, around the block and the vehicle was doing the exact same thing. I immediately returned to the shop and was told that the computer needs to adjust to my driving style and to drive the vehicle for 10 days and to bring it back.

The problem never went away, it actually only has gotten worse. I returned the vehicle to have them work on the vehicle again, figuring that the repairs would be under the warranty. Since the original visit the sales guy Tim has been fired and now I am dealing with this guy Chad, I think his name is. Basically they tell me that they cannot even do a diagnostic without me agreeing to pay $200 not to mention that they are now trying to tell me they think its a computer or electrical issue which is not covered under my warranty when they should have run a diagnostic on the electrical and ECU system prior on the previous visit which was what I felt the issue was initially.

Buyer beware. They use terms like diagnostics, ethics, promise and whatever else they need to lure you in and get your money and I'm sure they're not even fixing anything on your vehicle. I asked to see my transmission parts when they had it pulled out and apparently they could not get them together because they were laid out on a bench etc... Do not for any reason go to this franchise, I think the boss name is Rose and she won't even speak with you. If you do decide to have work done by them, never do business over the phone, don't tell them when you're coming to check on your repairs and if its a luxury vehicle, just take it to the dealer and pay more but be assured that your vehicle will be fixed the right way the first time.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Went to AAMCO due to a transmission failure right down the street... Barely made it in the driveway. They said they could fix it for a little over $2,000. It was fixed and came with a 2 year warranty. Went to the Ford dealership a few months later for a tire replacement. Come to find out my 2013 Ford Fiesta has a manufacturing defect in the transmission that could’ve been fixed for no cost at Ford. I had no idea about it. And I believe AAMCO knew about it but decided to keep me in the dark for the profit. Anyway, 2 years later, AAMCO warranty is up and I’m having the same problem. Thanks for the head up guys...not.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Visited AAMCO in Wichita, Kansas (703 N. West St. 67203) on February 8th after business hours to drop off my 2009 GMC Acadia to have an estimate done because I thought I was hearing an odd noise coming from my passenger, front wheel and my headlight possibly burned out. I returned on February 9th around 11:30am to speak with a mechanic named ** that told me my car did not have any issues. I left feeling fine that I did not have anything to worry about.

On February 28th, I’m driving down the highway with my infant daughter on my way to pick up my other 2 year old daughter from preschool and my motor blew out. I then had to contact a tow truck company and pay over $100 to have my vehicle towed. I decided to have it towed to the same AAMCO, on 703 N. West St., since they had just had my vehicle 20 days prior to this issue. My Acadia was looked at around 3:30-4:00 on February 28th by **, once again. Turns out, my motor blew out because I DID NOT HAVE OIL!!! Isn’t that what an estimate/maintenance check is? My question is, if your employees are so trained, why did ** not let me know on February 9th that my vehicle was low, getting low, or did not have oil? I didn’t have a light on either. I am a young women with 2 small children. I don’t know a darn thing about cars!

At around 4pm on the 9th, ** gave me a call to let me know that my car would need a new motor for $3,000 minimum, plus 15-20 hours of labor. He also so stupidly let me know he never check my oil when I brought it in on February 9th!! I trusted this shop and I was lied to so I would come back and have to spend more money for an issue that was created in AAMCO or just flat out ignored because ** knew I’d be back for help! Sadly, it gets worse! After we had let ** know that $3,000 plus was simply just not affordable, he so rudely hung up the phone! I called back to ask him if he could please put my keys back in the car, in the ignition unlocked, and I would have a tow truck driver come back to get it and bring it to my house. Apparently, this made ** extremely mad that he wasted his time checking out my car, (which with him is where the issue started), he so unprofessionally locked my keys in the car out of anger. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!??

When the tow company got there on the evening of February 28th around 6pm, nobody was in site, the shop was locked up and the keys were locked in the vehicle. I had to pay $100 just to have it unlocked and $100 to get it off of AAMCO property. $300 down the drain thanks to **! I reached out to AAMCO Corp. on March 4th letting them know how terrible this shop is in Wichita representing their name. I immediately got a response from AAMCO Customer Support, **, assuring me she’d reach out to this shop and figure this out.

The following day, I received a phone call from the shop owner here in Wichita, **. ** called to let me know that nobody by the name of ** was ever in their system and that I must have not brought my car to one of his shops. I told him he was mistaken and in fact I was there on February 8th and 9th! I left my car in their parking lot under their cameras! He said maybe there was a misunderstanding and he’d like to look at it again. He picked my car up on March 7th, early afternoon. Honestly, I was not too thrilled that my car was going to be put back in their shop but I truly thought he was going to make this right and fix his untrained employee’s mistake. I sent ** a text on March 8th asking if my vehicle had been looked at and he said “It hasn’t been dropped off yet.” I went nearly 5 days without knowing where my vehicle was! This has got to be a joke!

Today, March 10th, ** sent me a link, via text message, which led me to a site on google. It was an article about a timing chain in some GMC Models. What does this do for me?! He then stated “Here’s an article about the timing chains for your vehicle. It has a factory recall.” I did my research, called GM and used my VIN number on their website, to in fact find out and prove that my model, 2009 GMC Acadia, DOES NOT HAVE A RECALL FOR A TIMING CHAIN. ** is trying to make me believe that this is the issue and not his uneducated mechanics. Unfortunately, my car is still in their parking lot with zero intentions from their shop to fix this mistake. I bought my vehicle from Mel Hambelton Ford, a reputable car dealership that did not sell me a vehicle with this big of a problem. I haven’t even owned the car that long!

This is such a tragedy for myself, my 2 babies, and as well as my disabled mother who I am a caretaker for. I cannot take my child to school, take my newborn to the doctor, get to my mother’s house to take care of her, or go anywhere since I am now carless and have been since the 28th! I was stranded on the side of the highway for nearly 2 hours in 20 degree temperatures with my 2 month old baby and no heat! I have felt very uncomfortable this entire time dealing with **, who stated on our phone call on March 5th that he searched me on Facebook and saw that we had a mutual friend, (a person that I did go to high school with) to see what kind of a person I am. This is SO unprofessional and creepy to say the least. This was such a careless mistake made by AAMCO Wichita, Ks 703 N. West. St. There has GOT to be more to this problem or a solution! This is NOT right!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My granddaughter took my Buick to AAMCO and was told it was the pressure control solenoid needed to be replace. It would cost about $700. I took the car in today and was advised that that wasn’t the problem and it would cost $695 to tear it about to find out what the problem was and didn’t remember talking to my granddaughter or looking at my car. I told them to put the keys and solenoid under the floor mat amid lock it up and I would get it tonight. Then they called back and said they could get a used transmission with 69,000 miles on it and put it in for $1500 with a 90 day guarantee or $1895 with a one year guarantee. I talked with my son and decided a 2004 Buick wasn’t worth it as it only had 104,000 miles. I advised them of that and they argued what would I do when I didn’t have a car. Then offered to buy it for $300. I said no thank you. Then they called and advised my window wouldn’t go up.

I had just had the motor etc fixed less than 2 weeks. Jim stated not his problem as they didn’t do anything. Got the bill showing it was just fixed. Before going inside I tried the window and it went right up. I drove the car up to the building and asked them to step outside. Jim wouldn’t but Frank came around the counter and asked how I did that. I said pushed the button. My granddaughter then calls me as they had called her twice thinking that was my number. The only way they had her number is from the paperwork when she had previously brought the car in that shows it just needed the pressure control solenoid needed to be replaced. WATCH. They talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

WORST experience I ever had. I came in because my transmission needed to be looked at. I told the dude can he look at it and tell me what’s wrong. He said he wouldn’t charge me, after he looked at it took it down the transmission. He then came back out said, "Your transmission would need some work." I said, "That's fine. How much?" Mind you I went to one earlier and they said 300$ labor and 1000$ transmission fix. AAMCO said 3,800$ and I can not get my car out the shop till I pay the labor which was 895$ just to look at the car. My car has since been in there for 5 months.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Had lifetime warranty on transmission and was required to return to same shop for annual inspection each year. After around two years of having them inspect the transmission (actually just driving the vehicle) the owner stated that I do not need to return for annuals as it was not required anymore and if I had a problem just return and they will fix the issue at which time he kept all the paperwork stating he was responsible for this warranty.

A few years later a leak appears from the transmission and that AAMCO shop was closed and AAMCO corporate refuses to fix the issue under warranty claiming that the previous shop had no right to keep the paperwork and that no annuals were done since that time which voids the lifetime warranty. Explaining that their representative who is AAMCO is the one who kept the paperwork and refused the annual inspections on my vehicle to no avail. All AAMCO corporate would say is "we're sorry, but we cannot help you as the owners are independent and we have no responsibility for what they say or do". DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT AS YOU WILL LOSE as they will not stand behind what the independent shop owners tell their customers!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Took my Blazer to AAMCO in ALB on Lomas. They rebuilt my transmission. Broke less than five hundred miles. Sent it back to get fixed under warranty. MY BLAZER had a built motor not much to look at on the outside. It was stolen in their care. They say they're not responsible. It was an inside job. Only the people working there knew about the kill switch. He started it no problem. I have the video. NEVER GIVE AAMCO YOUR BUSINESS!!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

AAMCO, Lawndale, CA - Stay clear of this place, especially women. The manager, Vincent, is a real jerk. Took my car in for check engine light and they totally ripped me off. They took pictures while they were supposedly repairing my car, but it was not my car. Drove my car less than 5 miles after picking it up from again supposedly being repaired, and the check engine light came back on. I took it back and the manager refused to fix it or give me my money back. LADIES beware!!! Go somewhere else. This place deserves a zero rating.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I been in AAMCO transmission at 545 route 18 south east Brunswick NJ, 08816, phone 7324559500 and I paid $6000 for rebuilt transmission and ** the manager told me to, " Drive 1000 miles then I give you warranty for 50000 miles" but after 300 miles more I got transmission problems then I dropped the car at shop again and he said he want to repair some parts inside again and he did ask for more $800 to do it again. So I told him that I have warranty for 50000 miles and I just drove this car for only 1300 miles and he refuse to fix it before paying this extra money and kick me out of the shop without fixing this car. So I never trust AAMCO again. Please give me call at phone number ** to let me know what can I do with this branch.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

A few months ago, my car bucked before going smoothly into reverse. I took it to the Point Pleasant, NJ shop where they kept the car for diagnosis and told me it needed a transmission. When I got the car back I almost cried. It was so sloppily put together. It does not even come close to the way the factory installed all the components. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I put the car into reverse and it's still doing the same thing. I wish I never went there. My gut instinct told me not to too. The silver lining is we went for the three year warranty.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I bought a used Volkswagen Passat. A little while after, I started noticing drops of light-colored fluid in the driveway. It also developed a marked change in the automatic shifting pattern. I took it to AAMCO. They convinced me to get a used transmission replacement. Ten days and almost $2700 dollars later they returned my vehicle. I then immediately noticed that it not only was still shifting poorly, but it was still leaking as well. I took it back to AAMCO and they told me the uneven shifting is the replacement transmission learning. It sounded like BS to me. To address it still leaking they showed me a rusted metal tube that they explained is where the transmission fluid is delivered to the transmission cooling radiator. They told me they would replace the rusted line and they did.

Of course, I couldn’t help but think that this was my original problem all along. If they would have found and replaced the external rusted tubing and refilled the leaked transmission fluid, would I have needed a replacement transmission costing much more than the car was worth. I think not, but of course it can’t be proven either way. I felt cheated. A day later, I noticed more fresh fluid in the driveway. I took it back to AAMCO and they told me it was now engine oil leaking and that I had to take it elsewhere to be looked at.

I took it to another repair shop. I was told it was the rear engine seal that was leaking. The mechanic told me that the transmission would have to be removed to get at and replace the leaky seal. I told him that I had just had a replacement transmission installed days before. He asked, “why didn’t they replace the leaky engine seal when they had the transmission out?” I told him, “it wasn’t leaking engine oil until after they replaced the transmission. Could they have caused the leak?” He answered, “They could have caused the leak, but good luck proving it.” I felt very cheated.

I took it back to AAMCO and told them of this exchange. They still gave me the run-around but finally told me that they would offer me a discount to change the rear engine seal. I was told I would get a call after they price it out. That was a week ago. As I expected, no one has called me with a quote to fix the damage that I’m convinced AAMCO did to my car. Now I feel neglected as well as cheated.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Since February 2018 I went to AAMCO Turnersville, NJ for some issue with my transmission. When the car gets hot to optimal temperature the gear slips and a loud bang. It feels like I for rear ended. I told them the symptoms and they told me I needed a new transfer case. That cost me $3000. For about two months the car was fine but then I have been having problems with the gear slipping with a hard bang. It feels like someone hit me in the rear of the car.

I brought it back to them and then they said they upgraded the PCM software. I paid them another $800 and still after 2 months the problem still exist. The transmission is under warranty with AAMCO. They refuse to replace the transmission and finding some way to charge for problems they never fixed. After the PCM upgrade according to Ford specifications. While driving the car home the same problem happened. I immediately called Allen and told him. He told me I need to put some miles on the car so the car can relearn my driving habits. Two months later the car is still the same. I brought it back to AAMCO Turnersville and told Allen the car has the same issue. He was responding as if it was a new problem. I kept reiterating that is the same problem. I'm sick and tired of this.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I went to AAMCO to get my brakes done and I am extremely pleased with their service. They quoted me a very reasonable price and called me 3 times with updates. I have shopped around for pricing and AAMCO had the lowest price. I got my car back in less than a day! I recommended my mother to take her car there and she's also super happy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My wife took our 2006 Toyota Sienna with 125k miles in to get a transmission flush because it is recommended by Toyota. The mechanic came to my wife and showed her some metal shavings and said that it was bad and we should have the transmission rebuilt right away. He was surprised she even made it into the shop without a problem. Luckily my wife is smart enough to question something like that and she called me. I told her that shavings are normal and we would not be having them rebuild the transmission. I told her I didn't even want them to flush the transmission and to just get out of there.

They still charged $60 for labor for doing nothing which I thought they would at least clean out the shavings and put in new fluid. Turns out they left the shavings and put the same old fluid back in. That is unacceptable. Try to prey on a woman to rebuild a perfectly fine transmission and then to put the same fluid back in when you had every chance to put in new fluid. If there is an issue with my transmission in the future I will strongly fight that it is AAMCO's fault for what they did today.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Beware of this company. We used them to replace our transmission a month and a half ago and have been completely disappointed by their customer service and workmanship. The owner does not even back his own employees' work. We picked up our car and it was in terrible shape. It took 18 hours to clean the grease out of the inside of the car. It also had outside damage where someone had scraped the rims and bent the metal underneath the door. This was denied when they were questioned. We drove the car a few times over a period of 2 weeks and it has started slipping while making a turn. We called them and were told to bring it back in.

After sitting there 2 days, we call back and are told it was the gaskets. The transmission we had them put in was used and from a reputable company, one that AAMCO does business with frequently. The owner tells us that they put the transmission in without putting in a filter or replacing any of the gaskets. Instead they put the old, used filters on it??? Why would you do that? Especially when we called continuously and asked if it needed anything. Never were we told we needed to pay extra to replace these parts. Instead they prefer for their customers to have $2600 work done for no reason and then require them to bring it back in. He then wanted to say it was all our responsibility, not theirs and we bought a piece of junk and if we didn’t pick it up within 2 hours he would have it impounded!

Okay correct me I am wrong but as a Customer with a 30 day warranty, we have the right to have our car fixed correctly without hassle. Besides that point why would you ever replace a transmission that he originally told us was practically “new”, and not even place a filter in it or replace the old gaskets when you brought the vehicle in because it was leaking in the first place? This is not the kind of service I expected from an AAMCO business. I am devastated that I just purchased this car and it was bad enough I was without it for 2 months, but then to have such rude and unprofessional service from a franchise owner just amazes me. Instead of trying to resolve the issue he preferred to criticize us and not stand behind his own company and workmanship. I would never recommend this company or any other AAMCO after this horrible experience and just hope that no one else has to go through such a bad experience or lose so much money!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Beware of this company. We used them to replace our transmission a month and a half ago and have been completely disappointed by their customer service and workmanship. The owner does not even back his own employees work. We picked up our car and it was in terrible shape. It took 18 hours to clean the grease out of the inside of the car. It also had outside damage where someone had scraped the rims and bent the metal underneath the door. This was denied when they were questioned. We drove the car a few times over a period of 2 weeks and it has started slipping while making a turn. We called them and were told to bring it back in. After sitting there 2 days, we call back and are told it was the gaskets. The transmission we had them put in was used and from a reputable company, one that AAMCO does business with frequently.

The owner tells us that they put the transmission in without putting in a filter or replacing any of the gaskets. Instead they put the old, used filters on it??? Why would you do that? Especially when we called continuously and asked if it needed anything. Never were we told we needed to pay extra to replace these parts. Instead they prefer for their customers to have $2600 work done for no reason and then require them to bring it back in. He then wanted to say it was all our responsibility, not theirs and we bought a piece of junk and if we didn’t pick it up within 2 hours he would have it impounded! Okay correct me I am wrong but as a Customer with a 30 day warranty, we have the right to have our car fixed correctly without hassle.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR HERE!!! THIS MAN IS A CROOK!!! It is a shame you cannot leave zero stars or a negative rating because 1 is too much for the man running this shop and the location in Aurora. I agreed to have them "INSTALL" a "RE-MANUFACTURED" Transmission in my 04 Nissan Murano. For four weeks I was told the transmission was on the way and would be ready Friday or Monday. I received No phone call letting me know it would not be ready, I had to call them every week to find out. EXCEPT ONCE, After having my vehicle for over six weeks, I was informed by Katie that someone had quit and he was the one "RE-BUILDING" my transmission and one of the pulleys had been misplaced! That is why it would not be ready.

I NEVER AGREED TO THIS!!! Joe, who says he is just the manager, but I was informed that is the name of the OWNER! Told me having my transmission "re-manufactured in house" was the same thing as ordering one and installing it, but the prices are certainly different! He told me that if I wanted a re-manufactured transmission it would cost more than the $3450.00 he was charging!!! I told them this was unacceptable and I did not want to have them continue to work on my Vehicle to which he responded with I really do not have any other choice!!! He did offer me a free tank of gas for any miscommunication!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR HERE!!! THIS MAN IS A CROOK!!! It is a shame you cannot leave zero stars or a negative rating because 1 is too much for the man running this shop and the location in Aurora. I agreed to have them "install" a "re-manufactured" transmission in my 04 Nissan Murano. For four weeks I was told the transmission was on the way and would be ready Friday or Monday. I received no phone call letting me know it would not be ready, I had to call them every week to find out. Except once, after having my vehicle for over six weeks, I was informed by Katie that someone had quit and he was the one "RE-BUILDING" MY TRANSMISSION AND ONE OF THE PULLEYS HAD BEEN MISPLACED! That is why it would not be ready. I NEVER AGREED TO THIS!!!

Joe, who says he is just the manager, but I was informed that is the name of the OWNER Told me having my transmission "re-manufactured in house" was the same thing as ordering one and installing it, but the prices are certainly different! He told me that if I wanted a re-manufactured transmission it would cost more than the $3450.00 he was charging!!! I told them this was unacceptable and I did not want to have them continue to work on my Vehicle to which he responded with, "I really do not have any other choice!!!" He did offer me a free tank of gas for any miscommunication!!! Talk about insult to injury! I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, and I am now in the process of consulting an Attorney!!! I have been in contact with their corporate office to try to find a reasonable solution to this. I was told someone would be speaking with the shop. I am still waiting for a callback. They have now had my vehicle Seven Weeks!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I paid about $3,000 for repeated o2 sensor failures at AAMCO. After taking my car to AAMCO and having the o2 sensor "replaced" my service engine light would come back on shortly after the warranty was up. This happened 3 times until I finally took my car to a different mechanic who informed me that my o2 sensors looked old or looked like they had never been replaced. I finally got the sensor replaced for a much cheaper price and the mechanic let me keep the old part.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I found that, the only way to get what I paid back is to go for consumer protection and go through court case to get back my rights and money, as their mechanic attacked me at the garage and just I got lies and lies and lies nothing else. I paid $3000 for a job of $1800 just because I thought this place worth to pay extra. Unfortunately, they got my money and did nothing correctly. Within less than 4 months, the same problem happened to the transmission with same code of P0740. I have a court case against this company, it is going through very well. I paid $3000 to them, I back 4 times and got nothing except lies, I talked to Mike at head office and felt that they all are supporting each others. I repaired my car again in another place and paid $1500. I am going to sue this company for $50,000 but I will take just the amount of what I paid and spent.

AAMCO expert review by Lauren Fix

Anthony A. Martino opened his first auto repair shop, focusing primarily on transmission repair, in 1957 and expanded the Anthony A. Martino Company (AAMCO) in the early 1960s. The franchise now has more than 650 locations in the United States and offers a wide variety automotive services.

• Franchise locations: AAMCO has independently owned and operated franchises, so exact services, prices and discounts vary by location. This fact also means that when customers visit their local AMMCO, they are supporting local business owners.

• iGAAUGE: The AMMCO app serves as a roadside companion. It can tell users how far they are from the nearest AMMCO location, help them remember to keep a regular preventative maintenance schedule, chat with a technician to troubleshoot automotive problems and more. The app can be downloaded on Apple and Android devices.

• Transmission services: AAMCO’s founder originally focused primarily on the new demand (in the 1950s) for servicing automatic transmissions. The company continues to provide a wide variety of transmission services, including the most comprehensive transmission services in the industry the Power Purge® and Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush.

• Warranties: Warranties that come with products consumers purchase at one AAMCO or extended warranties purchased from one location will be honored at all franchise locations.

• Best for: AMMCO offers services to help any consumer who wants their auto serviced and/or repaired by professionals, especially those who are looking for a brand with locations nationally.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAMCO Company Information