2.9/5 (1264 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

AAMCO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAMCO?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAMCO?

Original review: April 28, 2022

Hi AAMCO customers service here at 6726 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19135 is unsatisfactory. First Receptionist is unprofessional. She liar. They tell you anything to get you off the phone and dismisses you when you call in for update and treat you like you criminal. I left my car there for three weeks and at first parts didn’t come in I was told it be done by Thursday today so I call Wednesday to confirm. The receptionist confirmed with me so I come in to today to pick my car up and now I’m been told they still waiting for a part and they try to blame on me. They was wait saying they was waiting for me to give them the go head but why would they confirm on Wednesday if they didn’t have go head. Then they said it come in today the car be done by 5pm. This place is very unprofessional and disrespectful. I would never come back here again.

Original review: April 11, 2022

Do Not take your car here - incomplete work which lead to unsafe driving. Complete denial of the unsafe incomplete work done. If you want to spend more than you should and have a lot of time go here. Otherwise do yourself a favor and DON'T. Repeat do NOT take your car here.

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I really wish that I had done this sooner. What is making me do this now is the commercials on TV now raving about how great Aamco is. I purchased a truck for my son in Loveland, Colorado in 1986 for him to drive after he received his drivers' license. It had a 5 speed manual transmission. Sometime later, the transmission starting to slip pretty badly. I took the truck to the Fort Collins, Colorado AAMCO for repair. They rebuilt it. Soon after, the transmission would slip from 5th to 4th gear on its own. I called and the manager said that it was normal and that it would take some time for it to break in. My son then moved to Oklahoma. Soon after he called to say that only 4th gear and reverse worked. He took it to a shop and was told that someone had put 90 weight oil in it. Guess who did that. If you would like to talk to me about this experience you can contact me at **. It has bothered me for for over 30 years. So much for AAMCO.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I went to AAMCO to have my truck looked at on 07-18-2021. I dropped my truck off after I was told that they would diagnose the problem. I got a call on 07/30 2021 a week later and they said it would be fixed but the inspection that was supposed to be free ended up costing me 358.00 dollars which I was never told, so I ended up letting them fix the truck and it cost me 1022.00 dollars.

After fixing the cut off valves and stopping circulation of fuel going to the back tank of my truck I drove for one day and noticed that it wasn’t running good so I took it back to aamco. Left it there and they ran a pressure check and told me the fuel pressure was good. Come to find out I had to park the truck on AUGUST 3 2021 and because of the work they did to my truck was in even worse shape than it was when I took it there to be fixed. The only problem with the truck is a common problem with that year and when I brought it to them it was running fine and I just wanted them to fix the problem with the fuel running out of the rear tanks cap randomly.

I waited about a month or two and finally decided to take it to Tire kingdom around 10-9-2-21 around the beginning of October because I didn’t trust AAMCO after the first and second time. Tire Kingdom diagnosed the problem. Replaced the front fuel pump and the truck was running perfect. I drove the truck for a week and that Sunday I noticed fuel leaking out of the back fuel tank cap again. It looked like the same problem AAMCO said they fixed had started up again. So I took it back on Nov 2 2021 to AAMCO to see what happened to the work they did and had a 1 year warranty.

In the process of talking to the guy at the counter the mechanic that worked on my truck kept making smart remarks at me which is what I considered disrespectful and unprofessional. I let it go for the time being left my truck there to be looked at. I was told Nov 6 2021 that without looking at the truck the mechanic was saying that when tire kingdom replaced the front fuel pump that they ripped out the work AAMCO did and I felt he said that because of the shoddy work he did in the first place trying to put the blame on someone else. So I went to tire kingdom and talked to them about what they were being accused of and felt that after talking to them being that when I first got the truck 2 years I put a new fuel pump in it myself and had no problems.

So I go back to AAMCO after they assumed that tire kingdom removed their work so the mechanic says. When I get there I go to look at the problem and notice that the mechanic is saying that the shut off valve is in one of the lines going to the fuel pump. So I try to tell the mechanic. I find it hard to believe that the valves are in one of the 3 lines going to the fuel pump and I’m willing to show him proof. He told me he was a mechanic and to shut up. After looking at the work that was done by tire kingdom and noticed that he didn’t pull the lines apart to even see if the lines were damaged.

After paying 1022.00 to get my truck fixed, I wanted to know why I was still having the same problems after the valves and new lines were installed by aamco. In the process of having this discussion with the mechanic the situation started to get heated and we started having words back and forth and he told me to get the ** out of his shop. I was very frustrated because I trusted aamco with fixing my truck and it was still not fixed. Now I’m stuck with a lost of 1022.00 dollars which is not easy to come by in this time of covid and my truck still isn’t fixed sitting in the driveway waiting for work under warranty to be fixed. You would think that customer service is important but apparently to them that isn’t never going to happen.

Note if you want your car fixed right and not be ripped off and if you GET ripped off don’t call corporate in Pennsylvania P.A. They will find any excuse to get out of addressing the truth to protect themselves from taking the blame for mechanics not qualified to fix your car or horrible customer service which is displayed at the AAMCO in Orange park FL technician ** and the service supervisor **. The address is 356 Blanding Boulevard.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I am a very Satisfied Customer of AAMCO Fuquay Varina. My transmission in My 2010 Chevrolet Silverado had failed on Me. I called and Spoke with Conrad as He was very helpful and eager to help Me get this replaced with a reasonable price and timely manner as Conrad contacted Me to give an update each step of the way. The Guys are Amazing. I would Recommend them to anyone needing automobile repairs. Thanks to the AAMCO Team in Fuquay Varina. You Guys Rock.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Edwin was very helpful and answered ALL my questions, and in detail, I would tell my friends about my experience, Vanessa was a pleasure to talk to and helped with my concerns. They helped ease my mind. Would use them again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Bad experience at this service center, they kept the car almost two days without touching it or calling me, they ignored my service requests and their excuse was were so busy or the mechanic didn't show up today. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I had an issue with my vehicle being that the transmission needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, these people left my car in poor condition, they got the job done but left my car in poor condition, dried up oil in the bottom of the floor board and black dried up oil on the handle of the door. They didn't even put free-on in my car after disconnecting all the lines and then tried to charge me. These people are horrible. How can they treat customers like this?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I scheduled an appointment. They didn’t give me the run around, wanted my brakes and rotors checked and replaced if necessary. I checked in and immediately got service, checked the parts and told me that they were practically new and didn’t need replacing. I had just bought the car so I was trying to make sure there weren’t any issues. They also checked to make sure I didn’t need an oil change, fluids flushed and filled or a tune up without me even asking. After I was told I didn’t need the brakes and rotors I asked about the other things and was told that the car was in great condition and needed no work. I’m very happy that there are companies out there that won’t scam you and just try to get your money. I’m definitely a new customer who will be returning. Thank you guys so much. And let me add they didn’t charge me a dime!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Claim against Donald ** Aamco West Broward

For background I'm a 65 year old, motorhead, a pilot, owned, flew, and maintained 3 of my own aircraft, numerous motorcycles, jet boats, snowmobiles and other vehicles, take care if my things, very familiar with what this job I asked Don to do, but am older now, only tinker now on easy jobs, but otherwise am very capable mechanically, have factory manuals for this car, which were given to Don but ignored, saying he knew proper procedures, and here we are.

Without this experience and background with vehicles and aircraft, I would have been vulnerable, to how I believe, many shops defraud customers, and don't stand behind warranty, hoping customers will become discouraged, and just pay and pay and pay to get the car back, with no other choice. I can usually work things out, when a shop makes a mistake, there is no need for a federal case like this, but Don is not a reasonable man, despite my extreme patience, cost, Lee and Mike at corporate trying to resolve. Am aware it is not within your power to compensate me for anything other than paid to Don but it is all pertinent. And some of this is more than you require but will use this letter as a template, if needed for other agencies.

At The end of 2019, I brought my car to Don. I have not had use of the car since, except for diagnosing and as per Don, breaking in the clutch, that Don said numerous times is the cause, that I knew, and we verified independently now, has never been the issue. Came in for regular maintenance, had no issues, other than clutch pedal hydraulics, regular maintenance items, Craig drove the car before work started. I chose Aamco for nationwide warranty, as at time, was going back on road, before Mother got sick and has since passed.

Car was returned 3 times, to Don with the problem that it did not have, when brought in, as Craig confirmed before work started. Rattling, and grinding vibrations in shifter and pedal. Don blamed everything but his work, faulty parts, clutch break in many times, and finally transmission, which he tried so hard to convince me was a problem.

I knew it wasn't, but he did remove tranny from car twice, and never said word about it having a problem, until third time in, when took car partially apart again, did not address rattling, grinding vibration, and wanted to charge me 1400 for this tear down so, blamed on tranny, holding car hostage, for 1400 approx, but because it was on a needed lift, and refused my fair offer, to rebuild tranny, but my requiring him to stand behind his work, refused to reimburse me, if not the issue, told me to think about it. Had this conversation a couple times, stating Aamco does not refund money, which is not Aamco policy, because he is independent, and can, if wishes to.

Some time later Don wanted my address to send the car to, under threat of storage, stating was not going to fix the problem, or the damage that he once agreed to repair, and admitted occured by stating he looked for parts for the repairs, nor would he be willing to consider a reasonable resolution. Told Don to send to dealer, to look at the harmonic balancer Craig damaged, and admitted that he bent, and is noted on work order, it was in front of the engine, which should never have been touched, and cannot be driven, and is catastrophic when it fails and is a very delicate, highly engineered part, critical to engine health, that spins at up to 8000 rpm.

Dealer replaced it for 1100, just one more expense this man has caused me. Took car home. Have estimated 1500 to repair other damage, suspension boots torn during disassembly, observed during one of my visits, failing to lubricate newly installed swing arm bushings, also observed on visit, despite email from Don stating would repair, then reversed stating Craig, the same mechanic that caused the damage, showed it to me, said he learned his lesson, will never do it again, now thinks balancer is now, ok, likely fearful for losing job. Approx 1k to bring a car out of retirement for transportation. Approx 1100 insurance on second car. Started pleading with the corporate for help again.

Mike at corporate, has been updated by texts, and voicemails, and finally, sent me to Lee, at another aamco, who once owned the exact same model of car, is familiar with it, has 3 shops and more experienced, to diagnose and possibly mediate. Lee is vastly more experienced in this field, while Don is a recent shop owner with no background repairing vehicles, Only parts sales. Diagnosed torque tube replacement needed, offered to fix, said would contact Don and see what could work out. Don would not pay for, after 3 ways back and forth over a couple weeks, with Don dragging his feet, even after verifying Don's work is not acceptable and slipshod at very least. Took car home again.

Finally a week or so later, spoke to Don face to face, at his shop. Him suggesting I bring car back, or take to another shop, hoping I will just go away, still ignoring Lee's diagnosis, saying it's transmission again, asked how we come to a resolution, and, what happens if after he works on again if still not correct, and said he did not know, if would stand behind the warranty. Became very agitated, shaking accused me of trespassing, threatened with police so I left. New employee, a very young male at the desk, witnessed this, name unknown.

Also before I was thrown out, a customer who happened to bring his Cadillac back for the 4th time, and complaining of only a 30 day warranty was talking with me. Have his number. If I paid to rebuild the transmission, and of course, it didn't cure the issue, and I was naive, trusting and unsuspecting, I would not have been reimbursed, as he stated, I would not be, feel strongly he would then want to rebuild the engine next if I was that gullible.

Utterly irresponsible, and I did not approve any work, outside of accepted procedures that ASE, and the manufacturer instructed, in manuals that I left there, but were ignored, along with procedures that any reasonably qualified mechanic would follow. Discussed before work started and assured me he didn't need anything from me. Can only estimate, how for instance, jacking in front of the engine, on harmonic balance, impacted the belt, engine internals, or at very least diminished potential, for a reliable engine, for many more miles, and impossible to calculate future expense. Completely irresponsible for ASE trained mechanic.

Lee's secretary Sierra gave me estimate, copy included here, 2300 for parts only, not labor, will be at least another 2k, as is customary these days 50/50 parts and labor, and as Lee was in hospital and did not wish to cause him more concern.with work. Still do not have use of this vehicle, except limited driving when

returned to me, with damages and new issues, but not of any real use, still has to be repaired, likely 6k plus with ball joint boots. I needed car, so I repaired my mother's old car, needed an engine mount and tires, alignment, oil change, radiator work, power steering work, to be able to use it.

Summary

20 months without my car. 3 trips to Aamco West Broward. 1 trip to another AAmco more experienced, confirming faulty repairs, and trying to mediate per corporate. Approx 4k spent with AAmco West Broward, you have charges on my credit card. At least 6k will be required for repairs to restore car to condition

was in, when brought to this shop. 1100 spent at dealer, repair harmonic balancer damaged, have cc charges Lou Bachrodt Chevrolet. This damage should not have happened, using the front of the engine as a jacking point, to align the driveline during assembly, is not a reasonable, or remotely approved procedure by any means, resulting in damaged harmonic balance, stressed motor mounts, crankshaft, crank shaft seals.

Couple points that also tell tale of how this shop is operated. Asked specifically and nicely, that no more grease was transferred onto seats, than what already occured first time in shop, but was ignored, more transferred each time went in. Also last time the car was test driven, my obd tracker alerted me to being driven extremely hazardously, with severe acceleration and braking events, and a 100 mph speed reached during rush hour traffic, with of course the damaged balancer in front of the engine. Apparently wasn't aware of the device in the car. Completely irresponsible, negligent, abusive, to treat a customer car this way. Don was totally unconcerned, and ambivalent with no comment. After all his attempts to sell me a transmission, I believe he was trying to break something to prove his point, and would not put it past him, in my experience. If Don wasn't aware, just another example with how this shop operates.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did receive oil change, sway bar link installation, tick bleeder, while in this shop and have no dispute with, other than returning the car without lubricating links, which I hope are not too damaged, that I had to ask twice for them to do. If you could only drive, and listen to the racket, grinding, and feel the vibration in pedals, getting worse, after 4 trips to shop, if count Lee trying to help, plus dealer, can see that I have been extremely patient with Don over the past 20 months, this even while caring for my mother in hospice care, here in her home. I have a video of the transmission noises that will assist you. Another impact on me, that this negligent business owner has imposed on me, is that these cars are collectible, and value is based almost solely on condition, damage and accident history. This negligence has eroded the value of this car.

AAMCO author review by Lauren Fix

Anthony A. Martino opened his first auto repair shop, focusing primarily on transmission repair, in 1957 and expanded the Anthony A. Martino Company (AAMCO) in the early 1960s. The franchise now has more than 650 locations in the United States and offers a wide variety automotive services.

• Franchise locations: AAMCO has independently owned and operated franchises, so exact services, prices and discounts vary by location. This fact also means that when customers visit their local AMMCO, they are supporting local business owners.

• iGAAUGE: The AMMCO app serves as a roadside companion. It can tell users how far they are from the nearest AMMCO location, help them remember to keep a regular preventative maintenance schedule, chat with a technician to troubleshoot automotive problems and more. The app can be downloaded on Apple and Android devices.

• Transmission services: AAMCO’s founder originally focused primarily on the new demand (in the 1950s) for servicing automatic transmissions. The company continues to provide a wide variety of transmission services, including the most comprehensive transmission services in the industry the Power Purge® and Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush.

• Warranties: Warranties that come with products consumers purchase at one AAMCO or extended warranties purchased from one location will be honored at all franchise locations.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAMCO Company Information