Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

740 AAMCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Took my Blazer to AAMCO in ALB on Lomas. They rebuilt my transmission. Broke less than five hundred miles. Sent it back to get fixed under warranty. MY BLAZER had a built motor not much to look at on the outside. It was stolen in their care. They say they're not responsible. It was an inside job. Only the people working there knew about the kill switch. He started it no problem. I have the video. NEVER GIVE AAMCO YOUR BUSINESS!!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

AAMCO, Lawndale, CA - Stay clear of this place, especially women. The manager, Vincent, is a real jerk. Took my car in for check engine light and they totally ripped me off. They took pictures while they were supposedly repairing my car, but it was not my car. Drove my car less than 5 miles after picking it up from again supposedly being repaired, and the check engine light came back on. I took it back and the manager refused to fix it or give me my money back. LADIES beware!!! Go somewhere else. This place deserves a zero rating.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I been in AAMCO transmission at 545 route 18 south east Brunswick NJ, 08816, phone 7324559500 and I paid $6000 for rebuilt transmission and ** the manager told me to, " Drive 1000 miles then I give you warranty for 50000 miles" but after 300 miles more I got transmission problems then I dropped the car at shop again and he said he want to repair some parts inside again and he did ask for more $800 to do it again. So I told him that I have warranty for 50000 miles and I just drove this car for only 1300 miles and he refuse to fix it before paying this extra money and kick me out of the shop without fixing this car. So I never trust AAMCO again. Please give me call at phone number ** to let me know what can I do with this branch.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

A few months ago, my car bucked before going smoothly into reverse. I took it to the Point Pleasant, NJ shop where they kept the car for diagnosis and told me it needed a transmission. When I got the car back I almost cried. It was so sloppily put together. It does not even come close to the way the factory installed all the components. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I put the car into reverse and it's still doing the same thing. I wish I never went there. My gut instinct told me not to too. The silver lining is we went for the three year warranty.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I bought a used Volkswagen Passat. A little while after, I started noticing drops of light-colored fluid in the driveway. It also developed a marked change in the automatic shifting pattern. I took it to AAMCO. They convinced me to get a used transmission replacement. Ten days and almost $2700 dollars later they returned my vehicle. I then immediately noticed that it not only was still shifting poorly, but it was still leaking as well. I took it back to AAMCO and they told me the uneven shifting is the replacement transmission learning. It sounded like BS to me. To address it still leaking they showed me a rusted metal tube that they explained is where the transmission fluid is delivered to the transmission cooling radiator. They told me they would replace the rusted line and they did.

Of course, I couldn’t help but think that this was my original problem all along. If they would have found and replaced the external rusted tubing and refilled the leaked transmission fluid, would I have needed a replacement transmission costing much more than the car was worth. I think not, but of course it can’t be proven either way. I felt cheated. A day later, I noticed more fresh fluid in the driveway. I took it back to AAMCO and they told me it was now engine oil leaking and that I had to take it elsewhere to be looked at.

I took it to another repair shop. I was told it was the rear engine seal that was leaking. The mechanic told me that the transmission would have to be removed to get at and replace the leaky seal. I told him that I had just had a replacement transmission installed days before. He asked, “why didn’t they replace the leaky engine seal when they had the transmission out?” I told him, “it wasn’t leaking engine oil until after they replaced the transmission. Could they have caused the leak?” He answered, “They could have caused the leak, but good luck proving it.” I felt very cheated.

I took it back to AAMCO and told them of this exchange. They still gave me the run-around but finally told me that they would offer me a discount to change the rear engine seal. I was told I would get a call after they price it out. That was a week ago. As I expected, no one has called me with a quote to fix the damage that I’m convinced AAMCO did to my car. Now I feel neglected as well as cheated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAMCO?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have a 2002 Toyota 4runner almost in factory condition. I've never trusted anyone to work on my truck unless they prove their abilities by... clearly stating what they plan to do - by proving that any work done is clearly needed by taking pictures and documenting everything to my satisfaction before proceeding. Back in the day I had my own auto garage. I know how things work.

I met a young man named Ted ** at the AAMCO on PCH HARBOR CITY. I only ever took my truck to Toyota dealership where I bought my 4runner... I will now only take my 4runner to Ted ** at AAMCO. He hooked me up... my truck like new again... my new rebuilt transmission unlike Toyota they only replace the trans with a different rebuilt trans and only 1 year warranty... (AAMCO 3 year warranty) new radiator, new flywheel, all new rocket cover gaskets, new main rear seal. They even cleaned all and any sludge off the back of the motor from the years of leaking gaskets. I got pictures of before and after. All work was done in 4 days. I needed a rental so Ted showed his concern and got it done. (AAMCO HAS A LIFER) THANK YOU TED **.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Since February 2018 I went to AAMCO Turnersville, NJ for some issue with my transmission. When the car gets hot to optimal temperature the gear slips and a loud bang. It feels like I for rear ended. I told them the symptoms and they told me I needed a new transfer case. That cost me $3000. For about two months the car was fine but then I have been having problems with the gear slipping with a hard bang. It feels like someone hit me in the rear of the car.

I brought it back to them and then they said they upgraded the PCM software. I paid them another $800 and still after 2 months the problem still exist. The transmission is under warranty with AAMCO. They refuse to replace the transmission and finding some way to charge for problems they never fixed. After the PCM upgrade according to Ford specifications. While driving the car home the same problem happened. I immediately called Allen and told him. He told me I need to put some miles on the car so the car can relearn my driving habits. Two months later the car is still the same. I brought it back to AAMCO Turnersville and told Allen the car has the same issue. He was responding as if it was a new problem. I kept reiterating that is the same problem. I'm sick and tired of this.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

A female friend and I received work on our transmissions about two months apart. We choose the Glendale location on 51st ave north of Glendale Ave in Glendale Arizona. She has a 2005 Buick Park Avenue and I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox both needed a transmission rebuild. I needed some extra hard parts for the Chevy Equinox that was not included in a normal rebuild. We spoke to a young man very friendly and knowledgeable I might add and we also did speak to a young lady named **. Our thought were that both vehicles would need to be sold as is because of the cost of repairs. Well was not needed to sell either one. The job cost was very reasonable compared to other shops and we received five free oil changes on each vehicle.

I am very hard of hearing on the phone so the Technician who worked on my vehicle was texting me or it may have been the store Manager ** but I did have an easy time communicating with them through text. Also I want to say I had some work done at another shop about one month or a little less (Not Aamco I am sorry to say).

Anyways the Technician who worked on my vehicle found out that the left front axle was clicking and making some other sort of noise. When I took it back to the other shop I was told, "Oh when we just checked it out yes the right front axle is defective." HELLO! Ok so what if Aamco would not have addressed this issue to me and me being hard of hearing would not have heard the clicking noise. So to say that if I was not told to take it back where it was serviced and driving on the interstates 60 or 70 well... I would probably not be writing this review.

Ok I hope I got my point across. This location deserves ten stars but I cannot do it. Please give them a call and make an appointment for at least an inspection and quote. You will not be sorry. Technicians are wonderful also. Good luck to all you workers at the 51st ave north of Glendale location. You have my business from now on.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I went to AAMCO to get my brakes done and I am extremely pleased with their service. They quoted me a very reasonable price and called me 3 times with updates. I have shopped around for pricing and AAMCO had the lowest price. I got my car back in less than a day! I recommended my mother to take her car there and she's also super happy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My wife took our 2006 Toyota Sienna with 125k miles in to get a transmission flush because it is recommended by Toyota. The mechanic came to my wife and showed her some metal shavings and said that it was bad and we should have the transmission rebuilt right away. He was surprised she even made it into the shop without a problem. Luckily my wife is smart enough to question something like that and she called me. I told her that shavings are normal and we would not be having them rebuild the transmission. I told her I didn't even want them to flush the transmission and to just get out of there.

They still charged $60 for labor for doing nothing which I thought they would at least clean out the shavings and put in new fluid. Turns out they left the shavings and put the same old fluid back in. That is unacceptable. Try to prey on a woman to rebuild a perfectly fine transmission and then to put the same fluid back in when you had every chance to put in new fluid. If there is an issue with my transmission in the future I will strongly fight that it is AAMCO's fault for what they did today.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Beware of this company. We used them to replace our transmission a month and a half ago and have been completely disappointed by their customer service and workmanship. The owner does not even back his own employees' work. We picked up our car and it was in terrible shape. It took 18 hours to clean the grease out of the inside of the car. It also had outside damage where someone had scraped the rims and bent the metal underneath the door. This was denied when they were questioned. We drove the car a few times over a period of 2 weeks and it has started slipping while making a turn. We called them and were told to bring it back in.

After sitting there 2 days, we call back and are told it was the gaskets. The transmission we had them put in was used and from a reputable company, one that AAMCO does business with frequently. The owner tells us that they put the transmission in without putting in a filter or replacing any of the gaskets. Instead they put the old, used filters on it??? Why would you do that? Especially when we called continuously and asked if it needed anything. Never were we told we needed to pay extra to replace these parts. Instead they prefer for their customers to have $2600 work done for no reason and then require them to bring it back in. He then wanted to say it was all our responsibility, not theirs and we bought a piece of junk and if we didn’t pick it up within 2 hours he would have it impounded!

Okay correct me I am wrong but as a Customer with a 30 day warranty, we have the right to have our car fixed correctly without hassle. Besides that point why would you ever replace a transmission that he originally told us was practically “new”, and not even place a filter in it or replace the old gaskets when you brought the vehicle in because it was leaking in the first place? This is not the kind of service I expected from an AAMCO business. I am devastated that I just purchased this car and it was bad enough I was without it for 2 months, but then to have such rude and unprofessional service from a franchise owner just amazes me. Instead of trying to resolve the issue he preferred to criticize us and not stand behind his own company and workmanship. I would never recommend this company or any other AAMCO after this horrible experience and just hope that no one else has to go through such a bad experience or lose so much money!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Beware of this company. We used them to replace our transmission a month and a half ago and have been completely disappointed by their customer service and workmanship. The owner does not even back his own employees work. We picked up our car and it was in terrible shape. It took 18 hours to clean the grease out of the inside of the car. It also had outside damage where someone had scraped the rims and bent the metal underneath the door. This was denied when they were questioned. We drove the car a few times over a period of 2 weeks and it has started slipping while making a turn. We called them and were told to bring it back in. After sitting there 2 days, we call back and are told it was the gaskets. The transmission we had them put in was used and from a reputable company, one that AAMCO does business with frequently.

The owner tells us that they put the transmission in without putting in a filter or replacing any of the gaskets. Instead they put the old, used filters on it??? Why would you do that? Especially when we called continuously and asked if it needed anything. Never were we told we needed to pay extra to replace these parts. Instead they prefer for their customers to have $2600 work done for no reason and then require them to bring it back in. He then wanted to say it was all our responsibility, not theirs and we bought a piece of junk and if we didn’t pick it up within 2 hours he would have it impounded! Okay correct me I am wrong but as a Customer with a 30 day warranty, we have the right to have our car fixed correctly without hassle.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR HERE!!! THIS MAN IS A CROOK!!! It is a shame you cannot leave zero stars or a negative rating because 1 is too much for the man running this shop and the location in Aurora. I agreed to have them "INSTALL" a "RE-MANUFACTURED" Transmission in my 04 Nissan Murano. For four weeks I was told the transmission was on the way and would be ready Friday or Monday. I received No phone call letting me know it would not be ready, I had to call them every week to find out. EXCEPT ONCE, After having my vehicle for over six weeks, I was informed by Katie that someone had quit and he was the one "RE-BUILDING" my transmission and one of the pulleys had been misplaced! That is why it would not be ready.

I NEVER AGREED TO THIS!!! Joe, who says he is just the manager, but I was informed that is the name of the OWNER! Told me having my transmission "re-manufactured in house" was the same thing as ordering one and installing it, but the prices are certainly different! He told me that if I wanted a re-manufactured transmission it would cost more than the $3450.00 he was charging!!! I told them this was unacceptable and I did not want to have them continue to work on my Vehicle to which he responded with I really do not have any other choice!!! He did offer me a free tank of gas for any miscommunication!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR HERE!!! THIS MAN IS A CROOK!!! It is a shame you cannot leave zero stars or a negative rating because 1 is too much for the man running this shop and the location in Aurora. I agreed to have them "install" a "re-manufactured" transmission in my 04 Nissan Murano. For four weeks I was told the transmission was on the way and would be ready Friday or Monday. I received no phone call letting me know it would not be ready, I had to call them every week to find out. Except once, after having my vehicle for over six weeks, I was informed by Katie that someone had quit and he was the one "RE-BUILDING" MY TRANSMISSION AND ONE OF THE PULLEYS HAD BEEN MISPLACED! That is why it would not be ready. I NEVER AGREED TO THIS!!!

Joe, who says he is just the manager, but I was informed that is the name of the OWNER Told me having my transmission "re-manufactured in house" was the same thing as ordering one and installing it, but the prices are certainly different! He told me that if I wanted a re-manufactured transmission it would cost more than the $3450.00 he was charging!!! I told them this was unacceptable and I did not want to have them continue to work on my Vehicle to which he responded with, "I really do not have any other choice!!!" He did offer me a free tank of gas for any miscommunication!!! Talk about insult to injury! I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, and I am now in the process of consulting an Attorney!!! I have been in contact with their corporate office to try to find a reasonable solution to this. I was told someone would be speaking with the shop. I am still waiting for a callback. They have now had my vehicle Seven Weeks!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I paid about $3,000 for repeated o2 sensor failures at AAMCO. After taking my car to AAMCO and having the o2 sensor "replaced" my service engine light would come back on shortly after the warranty was up. This happened 3 times until I finally took my car to a different mechanic who informed me that my o2 sensors looked old or looked like they had never been replaced. I finally got the sensor replaced for a much cheaper price and the mechanic let me keep the old part.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I found that, the only way to get what I paid back is to go for consumer protection and go through court case to get back my rights and money, as their mechanic attacked me at the garage and just I got lies and lies and lies nothing else. I paid $3000 for a job of $1800 just because I thought this place worth to pay extra. Unfortunately, they got my money and did nothing correctly. Within less than 4 months, the same problem happened to the transmission with same code of P0740. I have a court case against this company, it is going through very well. I paid $3000 to them, I back 4 times and got nothing except lies, I talked to Mike at head office and felt that they all are supporting each others. I repaired my car again in another place and paid $1500. I am going to sue this company for $50,000 but I will take just the amount of what I paid and spent.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Bought $3,300 transmission with warranty. After 10K miles, no acceleration off the line. Brought twice to original center and they could not "reproduce the issue". Drove down to service center, hopped in car, and made issue happen in seconds. Blank stare and started to blame other possible issues. Had two independent shops say it was the transmission. Contacted corporate, they said warranty is through individual franchised shops. Took it to another shop, left it for a week, they said same thing... can't get it to do what we experience all the time. WARNING - AAMCO corporate does not stand behind their warranty. I think they will just keep pointing fingers until I go somewhere else to have fixed. We have now been without our car for 2 weeks, and no resolution. Save yourself the headache and go somewhere else... consider yourself warned.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Morristown NJ AAMCO, took my 2003 BMW on dashboard's reading was a code trans failsafe program. The shop could not diagnose the code. Mark is the manager. My car has been at this shop since Tues July 3rd 2018 and still there now. Total nightmare renting a car from Enterprise $269 week. I plan on joining the class action lawsuit on this dealer as well.

They diagnose the car is needing a new water pump and the hoses around the power transmissions tank. Done cost $528 took the car out after a month there on Saturday August 4th 2018 and the antifreeze starting draining out car had return on the same day left car called shop. Car still there was told it was now upper hose fixed about go get car. I took car to another shop on Saturday diagnosed as speed sensor needs to be replaced because the code still showed on speedometer and check engine light was on the car.

In addition I paid to have the driver side window and door handle fixed as charge $391 and the door handle came apart once the window regulator was fixed by Roger mechanic. The other 3 windows would not come down using the key lock or doors would not open. Brought car back Anthony the mechanic. Fixed the car. He is the only competent mechanic in the shop.

Mark and the staff are very friendly and nice. However, to take someone’s car and keep it a month without properly diagnosing the car is unacceptable. I am going to get my Car today take it to another repair location to fix what should have been fixed through their shop the speed sensor. I spent $1000 on the car over 1 month time and my car is still running with the check engine light on and the car is still reading trans failsafe program. DO NOT USE AAMCO IN MORRISTOWN NJ.

I am not finished here. I plan join class action lawsuit to recoup my many and I am going to contact my bank to dispute the charges on my credit card and possibly go small claims court recoup money for the rent a car and expenses incurred while my car was being held hostage by an incompetent repair shop. Very sad. The previous Zoe era Vince would resolve and take care of issues worked with them in past. The new manager Mark is about taking in cars without being able to repair them in timely manner. Towards that end, I am about go to Consumer Affairs file a complaint and even website or social media to let customers know to stay away from the AAMCO IN MORRISTOWN NJ.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I wasn't going to make a review but, is very important for people to know how bad "**" at 5701 Pulaski Highway Baltimore MD, is. Back in February 2016, I went to check my transmission. Because I was having a long shift in my car. He did a diagnostic (engine light was on) which by the way he told me it was free with service and charge me $95, and revealed codes PO620, P1106, P1811 for my 2005 Pontiac Bonneville. He said it had an engine misfires and that it needed a tune up. I told him that couldn't be, because I just had a tune up done not long ago. He said then it was the transmission. So, he asked me to leave the vehicle over. He also suggested a "Safeguard Service" a transmission flush.

After he finish with my car, he called me to tell me how much was going to cost me and stated that indeed it was that transmission and that it was going to be an estimated cost of $800. I told him I didn't have that kind of money so he suggested for me to take a loan with Landmark. I did and took $1,000 because it was the minimum for a loan. Loan was approved and pick up the check. Cashier's check was made for AAMCO for $681.08, that was the total ** told me it cost after my car was fixed. When I got there, I paid and when I got to my car, there was a puddle of transmission oil under my car. He was furious with the mechanic because he said he forgot the screw. He put more oil in it, didn't took him long. The mechanic was embarrassed because yelled at him in front of me. I told him that it was a mistake that was taking care of. But he said; "For ** is always a mistake I'm tired of his insults". I was glad that my car was fixed.

But, 2 days later I'm having the same problem. Long shifts and the engine light came on again. I went back to him and told him that the problem was still there. He said "Then defiantly is the transmission." I said; "I know that is why I came to AAMCO, because I want it my transmission fix" He said that all he did was a tune up to see if it wasn't the transmission. I told him "I TOLD YOU I HAD A TUNE UP NOT LONG AGO" He said; "I didn't think was done correctly so I did one" OK, and why didn't you tell me about it? I said, "He claimed he did." But, I told him that if he did I would have stop him from doing it. So, that wasn't truth.

He said that unless I was going to let him fixed the transmission that I needed to leave. I told him, that he will pay, but not by my hands but by the hands of God. I left there in tears and he didn't even care. Ever since I being having this engine light on and off. I went to Mr. Tires (this is another story that I will tell in a review that I will make, stay tune). I spend another $703.45. And I'm still having this engine light on. I have paid $320 in just to check the engine light and nothing has being done.

Today (08/6/2018) I went to another mechanic that charge me $40 to tell me that I'm having a misfired code (P0300) and that the parts of the tune up are NOT for my car. That I have wires hanging that it shouldn't be. I will provide proof of this by showing my statements. Statement shows that I had a major tune up with All tune on 05/01/2013 mileage at 114526 for $350. Then on 04/27/2015 had spark plugs change with a mileage of 130801 for $145.00. Difference of 16,275 miles. On 02/16/2016 AAMCO did a major (unnecessary) tune up Mileage was 137284 for $681.08. Difference of 6,483 miles. I didn't need a tune up. You tell me if this is not highway robbery? DON'T GO THERE. You have being warned. And for what I see on other reviews, it seem that AAMCO is no good. I haven't seen there commercials anymore. What does that tell you? All they know about cars, is they don't know NOTHING.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I can only speak to my experience with the Roseburg, OR location... But if that is anything to go on, I will stay away from all AAMCO locations. I do not recommend anyone bring their car into the Roseburg AAMCO. I have a Mercury Mountaineer that we brought in last year at the end of August, maybe early September to have all the timing chains replaced. We were told that the repair would be completed at the end of the week, or beginning of the next week. It is now almost a year later, the warranty on the repair is almost up, and not one time out of the LITERALLY 12+ times they have told me it's all done, has it actually been repaired satisfactorily.

To make an extremely long story shorter, they charged me full price to replace all of the timing chains which was over $3000, and then proceeded to only do half of the timing chains and not use the correct tools twice before actually replacing the third like they should have in the first place. This caused damage to the engine to where they had to replace it. They told us they were getting a low mileage engine that had been compression tested to put in it, but after months of asking for the paperwork on the engine they gave us an "invoice" that had the price they paid of zero, no mention of mileage, and no proof of any type of testing.

Within less than 500 miles of them putting this engine in, it reeked of antifreeze anytime it was driven, and then started leaking coolant. After taking it to the Ford dealership they found that the oil was dark and slightly burnt smelling, and that the water pump needed changed, along with the cooling system flushed due to a weird oily substance in the reservoir.

After taking it back to AAMCO to have them "fix" the problems the car STILL reeks of antifreeze anytime it is driven, the oil gets more burnt smelling, and the antifreeze reservoir is back to looking like it did. Although Kyle, the owner, has assured me that even when the warranty is up if something went wrong he would still honor it and put that in writing, he has yet to do so. He says that's not how he does business, but after nearly a year of dealing with his business I have been charged full price for a repair that was only half done numerous times, have been given a car back that is not repaired numerous times, and have been promised things that I haven't received... Again numerous times. As I have told Kyle, at this point I do not trust his word, and quite frankly I do not trust his mechanics either after everything we have gone through.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have had my van at AAMCO on Harvard in Tulsa on and off for six weeks and had to rent a truck while it was there. They have not been timely on any of their estimate return dates ever. This most recent time they had it they promised it back in 4 days. On the 5th day they told me they had to pull the transmission again and would do this the next morning Sat. and would have it back to me Tue. I called them on Tue. am to see when it would be ready to pick up and they told me they haven't even removed it yet. No communication from them to let me know it was delayed or why until I called them. They told me they could not fit it in after saying I would have it back on that day. So now I have to rent a vehicle for another week. No apology whatsoever. I recommend never using them to anyone.

Original review: July 4, 2018

First repair was in August 2017. Then in November 2017 and now March 2018. My car was in the shop for 3 months. Had my vehicle for 5 days. My transmission is leaking already. AAMCO did a whack job. Instead of gasket. Silicon was used. Horrible job. My total price was at least. 3,700.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I went to check the transmission of my car. The service provide in this place is unique, reliable, I am so happy that somebody recommended me to go there, I highly recommended this shop. Whatever transmission problem you have, here is the solution.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I went there to AAMCO (Signal Hill) 'cause my car kept dying out at a light. David call me and said they fix it. I start driving the truck. And the engine still keep dying out. I take it back and they keep telling me they found the problem Again and again. I finally gave up on trying to get them to fit it after I paid them about 700 dollars at the beginning.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My shift cable broke while trying to back into a parking space. I was towed to the AAMCO located at 2525 Fowler Street in Ft Myers Florida. **, the tech, started working on it immediately. He found that the cable had broken at the shifter. It was repaired within 30 minutes of arrival and at no charge, since he found the repair part on site left over from a previous job. Considering the way I have been treated in the past, it was nice to find an honest and helpful business. They have my recommendation to anyone with transmission issues.

Original review: March 31, 2018

WARNING BULLY MEN who take advantage of people and SCAM them. They were aware I was a newly single newly disabled mom and they took full advantage of me. This place prided themselves an "all vet" staff, and since my brother and grandfather are decorated military gentlemen, I thought I would be in good hands. Quite the opposite indeed. Since I had multiple problems I will be writing multiple reviews, one for each of the separate problems. I took my car in for an OIL CHANGE. They "broke" the oil canister cap when taking it off the car, and told me this was a common thing to happen. So then they charged me to replace the part they broke (unprofessional in my opinion) making a remark about how Uncle Sam needed to be paid as well.

They also told me the case of synthetic oil I brought in was the wrong type. (My vehicle is only 4 years old and prior to this had only been serviced at the dealer.) 5W-30 has always been used on this vehicle, but they declared I had to have 5W-20. They said they had oil they could sell me and then I could just return the oil I brought in (in hindsight this was the second unnecessary charge, and we are only 5 minutes into my service...).

Shortly after my service, my car began to leak fluid all over my driveway. I asked my neighbor to come help me figure out what is going on. He said it looked like an oil leak, so I took my car back to AAMCO and told them about my driveway being full of oil. They checked the car and said it was fine and there was no oil leak. Perplexed I went back home and this time my neighbor crawled under my car, took pictures for me, and said it is definitely an oil leak. I told him AAMCO said it wasn't and he told me to take it to the dealer, as AAMCO was obviously trying to take advantage of me.

I took my car to the dealer and they said coincidentally they had a rash of vehicles come in for service which were recently serviced at AAMCO and all told the oil canister "broke" when taking it off the car. They also mentioned with the thousands of cars serviced at their dealership, they had never heard of such a thing, nor "broke" oil canisters when taking them off themselves. They then looked at my car and told me it was leaking oil, and the aftermarket oil canister AAMCO put on did not fit properly, so it was leaking oil. They knew I was in distress since I already told them I tried to take it back to AAMCO and they denied there was a problem. The dealer nicely provided me with a oil canister made to fit my vehicle and did not charge me labor, they only charged me for the part (excellent customer service).

I took the receipt and information back to AAMCO and asked that they refund me for the part I just had to purchase, which replaced the non fitting part they put on my car, which replaced the original part of mine they broke. They said no, but they could check with the manager and see what he said. I waited for weeks and never heard back. Yesterday I stopped by AAMCO to see if I could talk directly to the manager. The first thing they said was, "We called you several times and each time your phone was disconnected..." Strange since I have had the same phone number for 25+ years...? Anyway, then they said the manufacturer would reimburse them for the faulty part, so they could provide me a refund for the cost of the part. When I asked them what the cost of the part was they said $22. The part they broke and I had to replace was $70, as I showed them the receipt.

That was when the manager started to yell at me, declaring he was not going to pay for the part I bought at the dealer. I reminded him I first came back to them for a resolve, and they denied there was a problem, leaving me no choice but to go elsewhere. He claimed his guys had years of experience and if they said there was no problem, then there was no problem. Prior I had showed them the pictures, and currently they had the oil covered part in their possession... He continued to argue with me, so I suggested a compromise, maybe we could meet 1/2 way since there was such a price discrepancy. He said no. I said that does not make me feel very good, and his reply was in a yelling voice "I don't care about your feelings".

So I politely decided to end the conversation stating I was very sorry to hear that they run their business this way, and I would be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, as well as taking them to small claims court, and I began to leave. This made him furious and he began yelling at me more, coming out from behind the counter and following me to the door. I told him to be careful what he said as I would also be writing a Yelp review. He followed me outside to the parking lot and threatened me screaming if I try to hurt him, he will hurt me back. I felt very threatened and walked with my cane to my car as quickly as I could. I will be contacting a lawyer Monday.

Original review: March 25, 2018

AAMCO located at 1027 E Gun Hill Rd Bronx NY. I went there in October 2017 because the pressure sensor in my 2016 Nissan Altima went bad in my transmission, The sensor only cost $30 but they insisted that they do not repair transmission only replace or swaps. Ok cool. So they told me it would cost $2700. I didn't have the money up front but they get you by offering their credit program... THE transmission was a used 1 with 5 miles that came from Altima. that was crashed on its way to the dealer so they took the transmission out of that Altima and gave it to me... that's the story THEY gave me. Mind you anyone knows any time a car has a accident their parts can have Internal Damage so I agree to pay the $2700 back in October 2017.

NOW for these five months the transmission was running pretty good. All of a sudden it starts jerking hard and knocking hard. Again remember the transmission came out of a vehicle that had a accident = internal PROBS down the line. So I took my car to ** OWNER OF THE BRONX NY LOCATION ON GUN HILL. TOLD HIM THE ISSUE... NOW THE BS BEGINS. All of a sudden I need my receipt because he barely remembers me and also * his hard drive went down so he can't pull my receipt. Also I misplaced my receipt. I had 2 call corporate for them to locate my receipt # then they called ** and he says, "Ok good news. You're still under warranty." The warranty was 6 months from October 2017 until April I'm guessing.

STRIKE 2 HE TELLS ME, "NO WORRIES. I'LL CALL MY GUY AND ORDER YOU A NEW 1... SO LAST THURSDAY 3-15-18 he says it should be here by Friday-3-16-18 or by Monday 3-17-18. So bring it in on Tuesday will do a 1 day job swipe out. Tuesday I bring it and he says he has 2 move some cars it might be done by early Wednesday... But no worries. WED comes in New York we had a snow storm. All of a sudden he's not there and his assistant says it will be ready at 1030 am. I knew it was shady because a transmission job takes minimum 5 hrs. THEN ALL of a sudden he calls me and says, "The cars still has a jerk but no worries. You might have to go to the dealership and get a transmission reprogram because my software is down."

So I tell him, "How could you have changed my transmission and it still have the same issue?" He made a long lying excuse. So Wed goes and I leave it because it didn't sound right. Now we get to Thursday and he swore up and down that they changed it. The 2nd in command will be back shortly BUT THE owner won't be back till Monday. So Thursday 3-22-18 I pick the car up and I knew just how the car started. THEY never changed the transmission and that he was lying but ok let me be a good customer and go with the flow so I drive it and hear the same jerk. The transmission fluid had a burn smell and the rpm was rubbing high before shifting gears. So I go back and this time I go off on the 2nd in command and informed him.

The assistant manager name is ** by the way. Tall and heavy set guy. The 2nd in charge says, "Give us a second. Let me talk to ** about what's going on." 30 min later they tell me the diagnostic is reading a code. That means it needs a reprogram. I tell him again, "You guys did not swipe my old 1 out

The 2nd in charge name is **. He says, "Yes we did. But you have to go to the dealer and once they reprogram the tranny it will run good." So after a half day wasted I took all the info they gave me to give the dealer. The service dept tells me to reprogram your car = $300 plus tax. I spent $335 total. So I get the car back from the dealer SATURDAY morning 3-24-18. And it ran good for 10 min.

As I was heading home on the highway the Transmission starts going crazy. The Rpm goes almost to 7 and my car starts going a li'l wacko and i just dodged a accident. Lucky I was smart enough to make 5 videos of showing what the car was doing. I CURSED a couple times out of frustration but you guys can see for yourself. Through the grace of God the car drove 5 mph with my foot pushing the gas to the floor and it drove enough to just get me off the highway and 1 block from home where the transmission just blew. No power in drive or reverse and has a burnt smell. I am disgusted as a customer and I pray everyone reads this and reports these crooks because. I'M NOT GONNA let them get away with this. They lied to me and they used me and took advantage of me and I missed 5 days of work plus my Dealership bill was $335 of wasted money with no way to get a refund.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Am disgusted as a customer and I pray everyone reads this and reports these crooks because I'M NOT GONNA let them get away with this. They lied to me

and they used me and took advantage of me and I missed 5 days of work plus my dealership bill was $335 of wasted money with no way to get a refund.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Do not take your car to AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care on 1377 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77054. I took my car in on 12/22 and met with **. He test drove the car with me and heard the noise etc and said yes it a transmission issue and will require a tear down which normally cost $600. If the findings are not replicated after the tear down as from his knowledge the warranty co will not cover this cost if nothing is located, I agreed and said since Christmas is approaching let's wait and I'll bring it back on 12/26.

Because of the Christmas holiday I decided to take my car to his shop on 12/28 and ** said he will process the claim and take of it, I forgot to ask him for the paperwork to sign giving him the approval on the tear down, so I called ** and told her I forgot to sign the tear down paperwork as ** may have forgotten to give it to me and don't want this to hold up the work. The receptionist put me on hold and spoke to ** and came and told me that it's not required and it will be fine, I was a bit surprised as this does not falls in line what we spoke about on the initial convo prior to Christmas on the tear down etc.

Called him on 12/29 and he said they have not done anything but will be getting to it over the weekend, come Jan 2nd I have not heard anything from him so I called him and said they are still figuring it out and have not done anything. Now this is already day 4 with the New Year holiday, ** finally called me on 1/3. 1st call I got from your shop as I had to do all the follow ups, informing me that they are not able to replicate the issue. AAMCO test drove the car on the 22nd and the 29th and heard it several times, so I asked him, "Have you process the tear down." He said no because they don't feel it's required.

Now this is the process. The warranty co ask them to follow and both went against it, come Jan 4th the tech called me and updated that my warranty co is not willing to work with them so I told him let me call them as I've been following up with them daily and they been telling me they are waiting for the findings from the tear down and have not heard from AAMCO yet, so I called my warranty co and she was surprised by what the tech told me so she said, "Let's do a conference call," and now all 3 of us on the phone the tech, CS and I, she confronted the tech and asked him about the statement he told me which I'd told her, he responded, "No I said we were not able to replicate the issue." She asked him why the tear down was not done. He confirmed that he doesn't believe it required as he cannot replicate the issue.

Now the issue is apparent and all he needed to do is his job and per our agreement to process the tear down to identify the main issue on the transmission, so him knowingly that once you start a claim and drove the car it will create an issue in the future as he have dealt with warranty co for years, the CS mentioned if he does not want to process the tear down due to him not feeling it is required then it doesn’t seems we can move forward with this claim and I asked would this be an issue in the future as I found something was not right here, she confirmed, "I cannot answer that questions."

My point here is AAMCO kept my car for 4 days and basically did nothing according to our initial agreement and now the warranty co is not willing to cover the repair now on the transmission which has now gotten worst and I'm now having to pay $ 2,500 which could have been avoided had they done what they had promised upon accepting my care and process the tear down per my and my warranty company. I'm very disappointed by the end result as I'm moved my case to the highest manager with my warranty co and he explained the complete process and his and my findings are fault of AAMCO as they did not follow the simple tear down request. They are always busy and never follow through with the work they promised you as they are taking on way too much work and not giving the customer the quality for what you will be paying them, do not take your car to this shop. Try elsewhere and save yourself the hassle.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Had my transmission rebuilt 11 months ago in Hemet CA. For over $3200.00. Now a AAMCO shop in Wichita KS is charging me $5900.00 for a remanded transmission. So in the last 11 months I’ll be spending over $9,000.00 for a repair that should be under a warranty regardless of miles. It’s less than a year old. After I left CA I had to stop two times to get a leaking pan fixed, ended up going to Dodge to fix the leak. A cork gasket was installed by AAMCO 3 times. Dodge told me a cork gasket was the wrong gasket to use. Why??? Why is it costing me $ 9000.00 and how long will this one last??? At the cost of $3,200.00 a transmission should last more the 11 months. This transmission was also serviced by Ram after the rebuild at 4 months oil, filters and so forth as per AAMCO in CA. So after I do as I was told having to get a leaky oil pan fixed 2 X’s after the rebuild in Ca can AAMCO say that is was a job well done???

AAMCO expert review by Lauren Fix

Anthony A. Martino opened his first auto repair shop, focusing primarily on transmission repair, in 1957 and expanded the Anthony A. Martino Company (AAMCO) in the early 1960s. The franchise now has more than 650 locations in the United States and offers a wide variety automotive services.

• Franchise locations: AAMCO has independently owned and operated franchises, so exact services, prices and discounts vary by location. This fact also means that when customers visit their local AMMCO, they are supporting local business owners.

• iGAAUGE: The AMMCO app serves as a roadside companion. It can tell users how far they are from the nearest AMMCO location, help them remember to keep a regular preventative maintenance schedule, chat with a technician to troubleshoot automotive problems and more. The app can be downloaded on Apple and Android devices.

• Transmission services: AAMCO’s founder originally focused primarily on the new demand (in the 1950s) for servicing automatic transmissions. The company continues to provide a wide variety of transmission services, including the most comprehensive transmission services in the industry the Power Purge® and Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush.

• Warranties: Warranties that come with products consumers purchase at one AAMCO or extended warranties purchased from one location will be honored at all franchise locations.

• Best for: AMMCO offers services to help any consumer who wants their auto serviced and/or repaired by professionals, especially those who are looking for a brand with locations nationally.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAMCO Company Information