1.28/5
Based on 344 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AAMCO

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 7, 2018

710 AAMCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I had a transmission replaced by AAMCO in 2013 and they again replaced it in 2015. Then it started to act up again in 2017 so I brought it back to the shop and they couldn’t duplicate the problem so they extended the warranty so I would definitely be covered. However 5 months later and about 4000 miles it started doing a lot more often and could be duplicated.

So I returned to the shop that to my surprise was no longer there. So I proceeded to try to contact AAMCO who would never return a single phone call at all so I emailed them and their response was since they couldn’t get a hold of the Petaluma shop they couldn’t verify anything and would not honor any warranty. So 50,000 miles and 2 transmissions I’m out of luck for any assistance. DO NOT USE AAMCO TRANSMISSION AT ALL. TAKE IT TO A REPUTABLE SHOP THAT WILL REBUILD IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. They dont stand behind their work and dont do the work right the first time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR HERE!!! They had my car for 2 weeks. The price to have my transmission looked at went from $85 to $380 to $980. Throughout the whole process the communication was horrible. The entire time I only spoke to the receptionist/office manager and when I asked if the technician looking at my car would call me she told me he was too busy. After the first week she told me that they were short on technicians and it would be another week before they could tell me what was wrong. The first week I was told that there was absolutely no water damage to the transmission because "their technicians are extremely thorough and water is the first thing they looked for".

When they asked me to approve the $980 I told them I was not paying $5000 for a rebuild. I was told that it would be nowhere near that and that was closer to the price the dealer would charge me which is the only reason I approved the $980. She also quoted me the price of a transmission from the dealer at $3300 so of course their price would be much lower she assured me. So the second week I receive a call from what I assume is the shop manager. I don't recall his name. I tells me he was gone the previous week and asks me to come down to go over their diagnosis. My boyfriend and I go down there and my transmission is on a cluttered table. At one point the "builder" had to remove parts of another car that were for some reason all mixed up with my transmission parts on the table.

As for water damage proof, all the builder showed me was a disc that, according to him, had damage to the seal. I didn't see it. They also said that the metal had been from my torque converter which was bad.That was it. We asked the "builder" if he would replace the torque converter and speed sensor, which was throwing the error code. He said yes, he would try to do that to save us some money. But the shop manager was not having it.

As soon as we went back into the office, he blurts out it was going to be $5500 for a rebuild and he would not replace just the converter and speed sensor. I never even got a chance to look at the estimate if there was even one prepared. He then said that he called the dealer and a new transmission was $3900. Once again much different than what I was told the previous week. By the end of the 2nd week I had my car towed out of there nothing repaired, with my transmission in a box now in my backseat and out $680. Their shop is a real mess too. Tons of old transmissions and parts are stacked up the walls with clutter everywhere. I have never experienced such dishonesty. Real scam artists. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR HERE!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

My husband and I were traveling to see our son's fiance graduate from her training at Fort Lee, VA. On the way home our Temperature light for the transmission came on. Got off the Interstate and stopped at an Auto Parts Store. Explained our car has a CV transmission and you can't check the fluid. Referred us to an Aamco Station in Fredericksburg just a few miles away. When we arrived we were met by the mechanic. Explained the issue. He stated that it could be as simple as a $250 sensor or the transmission would have to be redone $1495. Said it would take a few days. We had to get back home to Northern PA so we rented a truck (of course that is all they had available) from a rental dealer up the road and headed home. Office manager said they would contact within a day or 2.

Contacted us the next day stating that it was going to cost $2500. Said the transmission looked as though it would have to be rebuilt. Questioned the work and price. Mechanic said he had to look into further. Called back the next day stating it was going to cost $4500. After pure panic struck I thought I should call another Aamco dealer to get another opinion. Spoke with Mike at the West Seneca, NY Aamco station. Explained the entire situation and he agreed with the price and that his station would service the warranty. I asked several times to verify that they would look at it if any problems occurred and he assured me the warranty was good at his station. After a couple of weeks of trying to get the Fredericksburg station to finish the job they finally gave us a day to travel back to pick up our car. We had to rent another vehicle to get there. 7 hour trip one way. Got there and our car was not there.

Office Manager said that it was towed to a dealer to get reprogrammed with the new parts. Waited for 1 1/2 hours. Still no car. Explained we had a 7 hour drive to go back and wanted to get back on the road. He called the person that supposedly had our car and they said they were on their way to the dealer. My question, where was our car for the last 1 1/2 hours???? He told us we could go to the dealer to pick up our car. We had wired the money to them prior to picking it up. Dumb. I know. Gave us directions, drove to dealer. No car. Spoke with the Service Manager stated that our car had just been brought in a few minutes ago and that mechanics were on lunch. Then stated he hoped the programming goes through because if it doesn't there is nothing they can do. At this point I'm about to vomit.

After waiting over an hour they finally brought our car out stating it was reprogrammed. Then handed us a bill for over $100. We stated that we were under the impression that this was part of our $4500 bill we had already paid. Office clerk said she was never explained any different than us paying. After explaining our ordeal she contacted the Aamco Office Manager which then gave her the owner's cell #. After some convincing from her he paid over the phone. Finally on our way. We get 3 hours into the trip the car starts jerking. Would surge. Kept pulling over to put in Neutral, wait, then start again. Would continue to do it. My husband called the Aamco station. Manager says it's the new parts trying to catch up with the old parts. After about 20 miles it just stops surging. Ran fine the rest of the trip.

After 2 weeks it starts bogging down and making clicking noises when I start off and stop. Call to make an appointment with the West Seneca Aamco. Mike has us bring it up. Both of us take a day off of work as we have to leave it there. This is a 1 1/2 hour drive one way for us. Closest Aamco. Had it there for the week. Mike calls states it's not the transmission. Take it to 2 mechanics and a Jeep Dealer (It is a Jeep Patriot). Had the brakes and lines replaced. Had to have 2 new tires and realigned as they were bald due to one of the Aamco stations not realigning it after they were finished doing whatever they did to it, had new spark plugs replaced and a new CV axle put in. All trying to find the issues. After all of that all 3 places stated it is the Transmission. Call Mike in West Seneca, NY back. Tell him what we were told.

Jeep Dealer Service manager even called him and told him after they looked it over twice they to feel it is surely the transmission. Made another appointment. Took it up again. It was there for over a month. Finally told us that they have not even looked at it. Called Corporate and made a Complaint. The woman I have been dealing with has only been giving me lip service. She called and spoke with owner. West Seneca then towed it to the Amherst, NY Aamco station. It was there for 2 more weeks. Dealt with a different manager. Assured all was fixed. Drove it home after making another trip up to get it. Did not even get home. Stopped at a store about an hour away and still making clicking noises. Called Corporate. The woman wants us to take it back again. After arguing and being pretty much told we did not have a choice, but this time he would pay for a rental car for me.

I took another day off of work. As they are closed on Saturdays. Assured by the Aamco Corporate Claim Rep and the Office Manager that the owner would reimburse me for the rental. A rental company is just about 1/2 mile down the road from the station. Was contacted by the Amherst Office Manager that it was finally fixed and they felt very confident that they fixed the problem. Found a crack. Drove up, this time the manager met us on a Saturday. Asked about the rental reimbursement, they will send me a check. I knew where this was going. After a week the problem is still there. Called Corporate Rep. Explained I never was reimbursed and the problem is still there. She called me back said they wanted it back, and my check is in the mail. Called Amherst, NY. Different person as Office Manager is on Medical leave for having surgery.

Said he wanted me to bring it up so he could take a look at it and guide him to what is going on and then I could drive it back so he could order parts then I would have to bring it back. I have 2 jobs. It is extremely difficult for me to get anywhere without a vehicle. We live in a very rural area. 12 miles from 1 job and 25 miles from another. I have an elderly mother that I care for that I have to drive to several appointments. I still owe on my car. Cannot afford to try to trade a crappy running car in for a new car. Especially seeing as we had to take a partial loan out to cover the $4500 initial bill. The expense has been tremendous. The inconvenience has been ridiculous and the lack of responsibility from Aamco in every aspect has been so very disappointing. I would not recommend Aamco to anyone.

They have screwed me. I have never been reimbursed for the rental and the Corporate Rep that told me she would call me every week until this was resolved has not contacted me in almost a month. I do not even know what to do at this point. I refuse to take any more time off of work and I refuse to inconvenience anyone to drive me up there and I certainly refuse to spend any more money on this entire issue. I can't afford it anyway.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017 Went in for a leaking tranny case. High pressure to sell me $4,000 rebuilt. All I needed was a case, they gave me a bill of $2,100.00. I'd only agreed to pay $1,600, that's all they got. 90 days later I had the same leak and they would do NOTHING! The Owner, Craig, HUNG UP ON ME... he knew I was out of state!

Called AAMCO CORPORATE, they were just as worthless! In my Google review the owner responded with a bunch of half truths, calling me a "Poor Boy" job. If they can't soak you for thousands, you're not worth their time. Be forewarned!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Dropped our car off at AAMCO in Brighton Colorado on Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Got a call from Casey advising our transmission was bad and quoted 2,700-3,300. At that time we asked about the 100.00 dollar coupon. He said he would accept at pickup. They advised that our 2011 Equinox would be completed by Friday the same week. Friday comes and no call so we call them to find out the car is not ready due to the wrong seals being ordered. They said it would be ready the following Tuesday's. I called Monday to double check. They said quote was still the same. They would honor original quote and the car would not be ready until Wednesday or Thursday. We get a call Wednesday saying it was ready and would cost 3,427.00. I called them upset that they quoted less and basically raised the cost so the coupon didn't even count.

CASEY THE MANAGER personally told me over the phone he would go in and adjust the invoice and the final cost would be 3,227.00. He asked when we would be there, I advised Friday or Monday at the latest. He said, “Well let's plan on Friday so we can pay for the parts so we'll see you Friday,” basically trying to bully me into when I was able to get car. Didn't matter how long we already had to wait and their mistakes. We went on Monday to pick up. They charged us 3,316.00. When my husband brought up the conversation I had with Casey who he was dealing with Casey blatantly lied to his face and said, “I told your wife 3,400.00”. He had absolutely no integrity and we are so disgusted with this place. I will never recommend anyone to this location.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAMCO?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I had a bad experience with the AAMCO on Pawnee Meridian. I was promised my 95 Ford Mustang would be done in a week prior to when I brought it to their shop. But then on that last day I had to contact them to see how if it was done yet and it wasn’t. So I’m ok with that because I’m thinking they're taking more time on it to make sure everything is put together the right way. But the real ready is they got busy with other cars. So I finally get my car back on November 23 2017 when I took it to the shop on November 11, 2017 and was told by their customers service guy it would be done by Saturday of that week. It’s seem to amaze me that it would’ve been done that fast but I listen to them and trusted him that it had been done by that Saturday.

So I contacted franchise owner because I have had my motor done by his place before by a different mechanic and they did a great job but the guy that did my other car which is 84 K5 Blazer got let go. So then the mechanic calls in on that Saturday and I was promised I would have it by Monday of the next week. I did not get it on that Monday. I got it on the Wednesday after which is on November 23, 2017 and then four days later as I have my car from their shop it catches fire and they try to blame it on a relay from my fan when my car was not overheating at all. I talk to the fire department and they said it was a crossed wire that was wrong. They claim they have nothing to do with electrical issue but I know you have to pull every wire that connects to the motor before you put a new motor in and every wire and component should’ve been checked thoroughly before I got my car.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

AAMCO transmissions was the worst choice my family could have ever made. We paid them 3000 to rebuild our transmission and replace universal joints. 15 min after we were assured it was safe and fixed the driveshaft fell out in the middle of Hwy 29 almost causing a deadly wreck, they sent a rollback to get it, kept car again for weeks then eventually said it was fixed and safe again. 2 weeks later had to take it back again because wouldn't shift correctly, once again after a month and pulling transmission yet again they supposedly fixed it. Only for us to take it back again, yep they pulled the transmission again and assured us it was fixed.

After 2 weeks there was a lot of vibration and rattling around shifter, come to find out all shifter boot screws were missing and shifter bolts were loose, then transmission wouldn't shift correctly so we took it back again only for them to take transmission out for the 3rd time. That was 6 months ago and now they want another 1200$ to fix it! We hired a lawyer because the so called mechanic safety, not returned calls, and called my sister a liar, and this mechanic named Mike ** is now threatening her, told her if she doesn't pay more money he's confiscating her car. He has lied, put people's lives in danger and called her a liar, all to cover his own ** for the sorry job he did on her car.

There has been nothing but problems since he supposedly fixed the car. He talks to and treats women like they're stupid and we are pursuing legal action against him personally and AAMCO. Using AAMCO was the worst decision we ever made, they not only do not stand behind their work, which was terrible, but put my family and other people's lives in danger. The car was better before they worked on it. This is nothing but extorting a woman out of more money. So now we can't get car because they are keeping the transmission out of it until they get thousands more, while Mike ** threatens my family with confiscating the car. She has decided to spend whatever it takes on our lawyer to make sure that Mike ** is exposed for the sexist liar he is. He hides behind corporate like he is not responsible. If Mike ** knew what he was doing why did he have to redo the job 3 times. He is nothing but a sexist liar who has no concern with customer's safety.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

They suck. I had my transmission rebuilt here. When I got the truck back it was shifting hard and I also noticed transmission fluid in my driveway. So I sent it back in and they told me there was nothing wrong with it and that's how it's supposed to be. So I jacked it up and looked myself to notice right away that when they installed the pan they tore the gasket. So after they told me they had 3 mechanics look at it and it took an amateur to figure out was wrong... this place is a joke.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The AAMCO on 322 W Van Buren St, Phoenix, AZ 85003 is the location where I have had at least $6,000 worth of work done in 2 years. Overall, I've had at least $10,000 worth of work done with AAMCO over the past decade. Recently, I had $4,700 worth of work done at this PHX location and had a coupon that they had mailed specifically to me. **, the desk clerk, would not accept the coupon stating that they had included hidden discounts as the work was being done. I've checked around with another center and they said that they noticed no discounts. That the prices were regularly priced. Do not go to this center. Kincaid's on 7th Ave and Adams is an honest business that I have used in the past. The only reason that I started using AAMCO was because I had a line of credit and did not have to pay cash.

I contacted Melanie at the customer support, ext. 671 and left a voicemail. She contacted me and said that she would talk to **, but not to expect anything because each center is privately owned and she couldn't do anything about it. It took 5 days and 3 attempts to reach Melanie before she called me back. Nothing was done and I pay full price. I will never, ever go to AAMCO again and I will make it my life's mission to warn people about using AAMCO. I will pay cash with Kincaids and will be satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have a check light come on. They told me gasket and over 2000.00. It was the catalytic converter. Second truck. Gas cap was not good and tight. They told me again head gasket and over 2000.00. 3rd car vacuum hose had leak which we knew of but was curious what they would say and yet the gasket and would be over 2000.00. I did call Nate on the show and told him what had happened and he said he would talk to them. I choose not to. I just want them to be honest and they are not. All 3 cars and truck cost me 25.00 to fix. After the first time we knew what was wrong with the other 2 and again the head gasket 2000.00. I would not nor could I recommend to anyone. They would have ripped me off 3 times.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Can't speak of first hand experience with these guys as never been there. But this is a review from experience from someone who works there. Having seen an employer openly boasting of ripping customers off and charging way over the earth for a job that should of cost a lot less (see photos) on a certain social media site is just unacceptable and gives all mechanics bad names. It's just not on and reading all these bad reviews about this place I'm wondering how the place is still in business, and if anyone thinks about using these crooks, think again.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I had an issue with my car not accelerating, the RPMs would be at the highest level but the mph would not pass 20 or 30. Had Aamco do the diagnosis on my car which was like an hour, they came back with Catalytic converter, radiator and a belt. Estimated that the whole job would run about $1000.00. This was on 7/3/2017. On 7/5/2017 they called me saying "someone messed up and sent the wrong converter." Now the new piece was another $200.00. So pissed as I was, I agreed for them to change and fix the part. Knowing myself had the money that day so I would not spend it I went to make the payment. When I got there I paid 600.00 in cash, and was going to pay the balance on my card. So the person at the desk told me just pay the rest tomorrow when I was going to pick up my car.

So as to give me a receipt of the cash he printed out a paper, and then as I looked at the bottom it read big as day "paid in full", he kindly ripped that part off. So the next day 7/6/2017, I go to pick up my car, since it was bothering me so much asked about the prior day receipt. Couldn't give me an invoice of the converter that supposedly cost more, but then wouldn't give me copies of the initial estimate, so I took screen shots with my phone. Since then the car started to do the same thing, with the speed. The guy who gave me my estimate is no longer there, but the new guy said he'd take care of me. I was so pissed off I called Corp, not much help they were.

They called the shop, to try to see what was still wrong, Corp asked me to take it back to them. Two days and still no word on anything, my car was just parked in the lot, no one making any move to fix it. Then they say it's a speed sensor, we're only going to charge you the price of the part, no labor. On the third day I call and ask, "what's going on? " At this point the guy was about to tell me that it wasn't the speed sensor, I got so frustrated, I let them know I was coming for my car. Last note of these guys, I pick up my car the guy shows me a speed sensor that's brand new never put on car, that was it for me. I took my car, on the way home I noticed that the check engine light is on, and now it sounds worse than before! So disappointed in the fact that they don't care about how they cheat people. I would never thought such a well known company can conduct business like this.

Original review: July 23, 2017

These people are absolute scammers, the first time I went there I had to pay almost 300 dollars just for new spark plugs, the second time, almost 50 dollars for an oil change, and the third and last time I will ever go there they told me that I had a fuel pump problem but it would cost about 1070 dollars just to fix it. The thing is I just had my fuel pump replaced at Pep Boys a couple of months ago and it was still under warranty, so I had my car towed there (mind you at Pep Boys I only paid 500 something for this service). Not saying that Pep Boys is any better than them because they have zero regard for people's time but at least they didn't try to rob me of a month's paycheck. I'm 19 and in college, I don't have 1000 dollars to blow on a 3000 dollar car. Even the tow man who I rode with to Pep Boys told me that those people are total scammers and try to take advantage of women. Avoid them like the plague.

Original review: July 6, 2017

AAMCO Poughkeepsie, NY - Terrible Experience! They serviced my check engine light and 2 days later the light came back on! When I brought it back, they told me the issue was unrelated and transmission needed to be rebuilt (which is what a majority of the scam complaints for AAMCO say). Mind you I just passed a state inspection with no issues. They scammed me out of $400 and tried to get me to pay $3200 more for my "transmission issue." DO NOT GO HERE. Andy also lied to me and told me he'd contacted my warranty provider when in fact he had not. He also gave me misinformation about what my warranty would cover. I'm contacting the BBB and I hope the future scammed customers do the same.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Took my vehicle in for a transmission leak. The manager say and told me before I had it truck towed to him on Main Street in Woodstock Georgia that it would be a $250 diagnostic. Called me three days later and told me I need a rebuilt transmission for $2,800. When I told him not to do the work I will pick up the truck he told me it will be a $700 diagnostic charge. Two months later I had the truck returned after paying him $700 and paying additional $300 for towing and it does not even drive. The worst experience of my life. Thank you Dan.

Original review: June 27, 2017 This by far the worst customer service experience in whole my life. I had a problem with transfer case on my 2014 BMW X1 so I Google transmission

Shops in our area and found this one. I called and very friendly voice greet me Like it should be. Set an appointment. Next day I arrived at 8:00 AM to get my car fix. Everything fine. Manager took my car and I sat down in waiting room and as soon as manager saw me there whole hell broke loose. He told me to go away. I told him I have nowhere to go and I will hang around and wait for my car. After I said this he start spitting Any imaginable dirty word. I step outside and wait there. Car was ready in three hours.

So ask him for my car and he told me I will get my car at 5PM (car was ready at 11:30PM). I told him that I will call police and that made him crazy. He was running around and swearing non stop but meeting with police wasn't in his plans so he release My car and I was on my way. His name was Rock. He decline to tell me his last name. I call AAMCO but they can't do anything because have no control over franchise operations. So stay away from this shop and this manager-idiot. P.S. Mechanic who worked on my car was great. He did a good job.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I went to Aamco in Phoenix AZ off of Black Canyon Highway and the I-17 with all four of my kids their ages are 8, 6, 5, 3. They looked at my car told me the issues but did not tell me that my control arm completely snapped on me and let me drive off endangering my life and all four of my kids. Thank God I took it another auto shop and they showed me the problem and let me take pictures of it. I'm so disappointed that I ever took my car there to Aamco and I hope something gets done about this. I will pursue legal action if needed against Aamco. I could be dead and so could my kids and Aamco would've been responsible and should be held responsible.

Original review: May 20, 2017

One of the worst experience with a car repair shop!! Took my car in on a Saturday and received it back on the following Friday!! NEVER called and updated me on ANYTHING dealing with my car!! They concluded that my solenoid block needed to be changed. The solenoid block retailed at $230 but I was up charged at $405 plus $219 for labor and a extra $35 for them using their own tools!! WORD OF ADVICE DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR TO AAMCO! Unless you want to be up charged by double!!

Original review: May 12, 2017

I Stanley ** had great service from ** AAMCO Transmission shop on 2001 S Cicero. Those guys were great. They were professional and courteous and most of all they were trustworthy. I will tell my friends and relatives to get all of their car work done at ** AAMCO. If you are quoted a price for the work on your car you can be sure it is right. You won't get cheated.

Original review: May 6, 2017

The story started about two weeks ago when my car broke down nearby from that place (AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care 640 Oak St Brockton, MA 02301 (508) 580-5431). A manager told me that they will do a free diagnostic to figure out what is wrong with my car and will call me later. Next day he called and told that the car requires full transmission rebuild, when I asked about price he told that in best case it will be around 2500$ in worst case around 3500$. I asked a few time to confirm that the price will not be more than 3500$, he told that It will be about 3500$ in worst case. After a week when I called to check what is with my car the manager told that they are still working on it but price will be around 5700$ now! Since It was too much (a new transmission costs around this price) I asked them to give the car back, the manager told me that they can do it but I have to pay around 1000$.

After some time they agreed to do it for 4700$ and since I didn't want to pay 1000$ for nothing, I asked them to proceed for 4700$ Today their owner called me and told that they actually can't fix the transmission, they can only replace it to used one if I find, buy and ship it. Without any warranty. So they basically can't fix it and I can't get my car back without payment of 1000$ for nothing.

Original review: May 1, 2017

My truck was towed to AAMCO in TR NY last week and they told me it would cost 4275 for transmission. Then I would have my truck 2 days later on a Tuesday. No call. Nothing. Wed when I call I hear Thursday then Thursday I hear Fri... Then on Fri I hear, "Took your truck for test drive. Brake line leaking." Funny brake line did not leak when it left my house. It will cost 4700... **. If it broke with them they probably did it. Negotiated to 4375. Told I would have my truck Sat... On Sat. Parts not in by Mon. Something not right. How do I call corporate. DON'T EVER USE THIS COMPANY. TOMS RIVER.

Original review: April 12, 2017

It took them ten months, eight visits and three different locations to get them to stop my transmission from leaking. Not to mention being charged for parts and labor that was still under warranty. Bunch of crooks. Don't give them business. Contacted corporate and they said I need to be reimbursed but since became silent. The water pump still leaks and check engine light for neutral safety is still on. $2,200 later, it's a wrap. They suck.

Original review: April 4, 2017

After reading many of the reviews it seems AAMCO as a whole is a horrible company. My experience was with the Fort Pierce Aamco in Florida. The whole ordeal cost me 4400.00 and I ended up with a ruined engine and undrivable van. Aamco corporate is a joke, only trying to appease you, but basically siding with the franchise owner and telling customers there's little they can do, but hope the owner does the right thing. That must be part of their franchise training, how to swindle the customer. I cannot believe that this company still exists, shameful! Makes me wonder why there's not an ongoing investigation into this company.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I took my suv in January 2017 to this Aamco, where Ian the owner, worked on it. My automatic suv after being driven for sometime you cannot accelerate it, and if you force the vehicle it will smell like burn. This was clearly explained to the owner and assure the parts they had to change will fix it. After paying over 1000.00 the car still does it. Now they said it has to do with the engine, etc... I wasted over 1000, when a more aggressive check or tests should have being done so I could decided how much money to spent. On top of that I am not sure anymore that certain parts were actually changed by looking at the car and the order or parts were out wrong on the receipt at first. I remember when I left my car another guy's leaving upset stating that, Aamco, now told him other things had to be done to his car and another 1000 for him... I wonder!

Original review: March 3, 2017

The short story is transmission was shifting erratically and going into limp mode. Brought it in and after their basic diagnostic said they had to rip trans apart. Rip it apart, show me the parts and tell me it's shot. Now I'm no trans specialist but I have been working on cars and transmissions for 30 years. The parts that they showed me barely had a mark on them but they insisted they had to replace the abundance of them. The trans fluid never smelt burnt or anything. Parts were still nice and shiny looking like new for the most part. Let them do the rebuild and they call me up and tell me the transmission is doing the same thing it did when I brought it in.

So now I've dropped $2500 to have the same problem. Since no one else is going to work on the trans at this point I let them figure it out. Turns out the problem was a $350 solenoid pack that was put in 4 months earlier. How on earth did they not run diagnostics on that. It's electrical on this trans. They put in the part and miraculously the trans shifts great. I brought that part up to Chris, the manager, showed him AAMCO's lovely little sign about if they put in parts the trans does not need they would take them out and was promptly insulted. He actually had the guts to tell me "I thought I was talking to someone mechanical". Well jackass was, me. I have no choice at this point but to pay the bill since I need the truck.

Waited a month to file this since I wanted to make sure the truck would work. I should have seen this coming. Chris, in conversation had mentioned how bad he screwed up his credit in small talk between us when we ran mine for the lovely AAMCO credit card. I thought he was going to fall from the chair when he told me "Wow, you've got great credit. You got a $4500 limit". All in all the trans that didn't need to be rebuilt, since it needed a $350 part cost me $2866.32. I'm not even sure the other parts were in fact replaced. As good as they looked they could have been put right back in. I suppose that would help Chris' credit dilemma.

So the bottom line is AAMCO needs to fix this or I file a complaint with the city of Crest Hill, every agency I can in Will County and the Illinois States Attorney. I figure the total job should be worth about $500, $350 for the part and labor. Diagnostics, which they totally screwed up, the parts they said were wrong, and weren't since a $350 part fixed the transmission, and any incidentals are AAMCO's problem.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

Took car in to have transmission checked out, was not having any real problems, but car was getting some age on it and just wanted to be safe. He claimed the valve cover on the engine was leaking real bad? I had this repaired just 3 days prior and was not leaking or oil all over garage floor. Charged me $564.00 for $150.00 job???

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

AAMCO Boise, Idaho - They talked me into a new transmission. It worked for about a year. Then it had the same problem as it did when I took it in. Now it's back for the third time. Now they say they have problems with that transmission all the time.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I brought my SUV to have the transmission check to AAMCO by 3336 Losee Rd, North Las Vegas, NV 89030, the specialist ** took the SUV for a test drive and called me that it will cost $595.00 to check the internal parts and electronics of the transmission. I told him that I would drop by the next day to talk to him personally. As my son and I went to the AAMCO shop the next day, ** was not in and the person on the counter said he was on break, My son and I had waited for ** for an hour and upon arriving I was very angry since he did not have my permission to take my car for personal use, he explained that he was taking it for a test drive which, I didn't believe since my gas was almost full and when he brought it back. it was a quarter tank left. I decided to just take my SUV and had it done in a different garage. I don't think I would trust this company ever with my vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

This place is the con of all cons. Took my Sonata there to get check engine light on evaluated for free. My trans wouldn't shift into high gear. I had a coupon for a free evaluation. When I got there he was busy so I said I'd leave the car. I gave him the coupon but he said, "No need" It was ok. He would call me the next morning. He calls me the next day and says that he would need to open up the transmission at a cost of $750.00 for a down payment. He could not tell me what was wrong with the trans nor could he give me a completed price. I said, "forget it". I was coming for the car. When I got there, the guy would not take 'no' for an answer. He said he liked my car and would fix the trans and if it was too much money, he would just keep the car. WHAT? I said, "No, get my keys" and he kept stalling and stalling.

When I finally demanded my keys or else, he said I owed him $109.00 for a evaluation. He said he worked 2 hours yesterday and 2 hours today on it. Once again I said "WHAT?" I said they could not even tell me what was wrong with the trans. He kept refusing to give me the keys and the car so I called the Toms River Police. Two officers showed up and I told him the story. He asked me if I signed anything which I did not. The officers asked the owner to turn over the keys to me and they still refused. Finally the officers told the guy at Aamco that if he did not turn over the car and keys to me immediately, that he would be arrested for theft. At that point, I finally got my car back. Stay away from this place. These people are scam artists!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

So I just called AAMCO on Broadriver Rd in Columbia SC to have my vehicle looked at for a check engine light. The service man who answers the phone informs me that they DO NOT ACCEPT AAMCO CREDIT CARD for payment??? I replied, "Isn't this Aamco I'm calling? How does Aamco service station not take an Aamco Credit Card?" The man simply laughs and says, "Yes, you can take your car to Brown Motors Works and have them look at it." This is totally absurd to me. A car repair chain who does honor its own Credit Card...

AAMCO expert review by Lauren Fix

Anthony A. Martino opened his first auto repair shop, focusing primarily on transmission repair, in 1957 and expanded the Anthony A. Martino Company (AAMCO) in the early 1960s. The franchise now has more than 650 locations in the United States and offers a wide variety automotive services.

• Franchise locations: AAMCO has independently owned and operated franchises, so exact services, prices and discounts vary by location. This fact also means that when customers visit their local AMMCO, they are supporting local business owners.

• iGAAUGE: The AMMCO app serves as a roadside companion. It can tell users how far they are from the nearest AMMCO location, help them remember to keep a regular preventative maintenance schedule, chat with a technician to troubleshoot automotive problems and more. The app can be downloaded on Apple and Android devices.

• Transmission services: AAMCO’s founder originally focused primarily on the new demand (in the 1950s) for servicing automatic transmissions. The company continues to provide a wide variety of transmission services, including the most comprehensive transmission services in the industry the Power Purge® and Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush.

• Warranties: Warranties that come with products consumers purchase at one AAMCO or extended warranties purchased from one location will be honored at all franchise locations.

• Best for: AMMCO offers services to help any consumer who wants their auto serviced and/or repaired by professionals, especially those who are looking for a brand with locations nationally.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAMCO Company Information

www.aamco.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use