1.29/5
Based on 358 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

724 AAMCO Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Morristown NJ AAMCO, took my 2003 BMW on dashboard's reading was a code trans failsafe program. The shop could not diagnose the code. Mark is the manager. My car has been at this shop since Tues July 3rd 2018 and still there now. Total nightmare renting a car from Enterprise $269 week. I plan on joining the class action lawsuit on this dealer as well.

They diagnose the car is needing a new water pump and the hoses around the power transmissions tank. Done cost $528 took the car out after a month there on Saturday August 4th 2018 and the antifreeze starting draining out car had return on the same day left car called shop. Car still there was told it was now upper hose fixed about go get car. I took car to another shop on Saturday diagnosed as speed sensor needs to be replaced because the code still showed on speedometer and check engine light was on the car.

In addition I paid to have the driver side window and door handle fixed as charge $391 and the door handle came apart once the window regulator was fixed by Roger mechanic. The other 3 windows would not come down using the key lock or doors would not open. Brought car back Anthony the mechanic. Fixed the car. He is the only competent mechanic in the shop.

Mark and the staff are very friendly and nice. However, to take someone’s car and keep it a month without properly diagnosing the car is unacceptable. I am going to get my Car today take it to another repair location to fix what should have been fixed through their shop the speed sensor. I spent $1000 on the car over 1 month time and my car is still running with the check engine light on and the car is still reading trans failsafe program. DO NOT USE AAMCO IN MORRISTOWN NJ.

I am not finished here. I plan join class action lawsuit to recoup my many and I am going to contact my bank to dispute the charges on my credit card and possibly go small claims court recoup money for the rent a car and expenses incurred while my car was being held hostage by an incompetent repair shop. Very sad. The previous Zoe era Vince would resolve and take care of issues worked with them in past. The new manager Mark is about taking in cars without being able to repair them in timely manner. Towards that end, I am about go to Consumer Affairs file a complaint and even website or social media to let customers know to stay away from the AAMCO IN MORRISTOWN NJ.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I wasn't going to make a review but, is very important for people to know how bad "**" at 5701 Pulaski Highway Baltimore MD, is. Back in February 2016, I went to check my transmission. Because I was having a long shift in my car. He did a diagnostic (engine light was on) which by the way he told me it was free with service and charge me $95, and revealed codes PO620, P1106, P1811 for my 2005 Pontiac Bonneville. He said it had an engine misfires and that it needed a tune up. I told him that couldn't be, because I just had a tune up done not long ago. He said then it was the transmission. So, he asked me to leave the vehicle over. He also suggested a "Safeguard Service" a transmission flush.

After he finish with my car, he called me to tell me how much was going to cost me and stated that indeed it was that transmission and that it was going to be an estimated cost of $800. I told him I didn't have that kind of money so he suggested for me to take a loan with Landmark. I did and took $1,000 because it was the minimum for a loan. Loan was approved and pick up the check. Cashier's check was made for AAMCO for $681.08, that was the total ** told me it cost after my car was fixed. When I got there, I paid and when I got to my car, there was a puddle of transmission oil under my car. He was furious with the mechanic because he said he forgot the screw. He put more oil in it, didn't took him long. The mechanic was embarrassed because yelled at him in front of me. I told him that it was a mistake that was taking care of. But he said; "For ** is always a mistake I'm tired of his insults". I was glad that my car was fixed.

But, 2 days later I'm having the same problem. Long shifts and the engine light came on again. I went back to him and told him that the problem was still there. He said "Then defiantly is the transmission." I said; "I know that is why I came to AAMCO, because I want it my transmission fix" He said that all he did was a tune up to see if it wasn't the transmission. I told him "I TOLD YOU I HAD A TUNE UP NOT LONG AGO" He said; "I didn't think was done correctly so I did one" OK, and why didn't you tell me about it? I said, "He claimed he did." But, I told him that if he did I would have stop him from doing it. So, that wasn't truth.

He said that unless I was going to let him fixed the transmission that I needed to leave. I told him, that he will pay, but not by my hands but by the hands of God. I left there in tears and he didn't even care. Ever since I being having this engine light on and off. I went to Mr. Tires (this is another story that I will tell in a review that I will make, stay tune). I spend another $703.45. And I'm still having this engine light on. I have paid $320 in just to check the engine light and nothing has being done.

Today (08/6/2018) I went to another mechanic that charge me $40 to tell me that I'm having a misfired code (P0300) and that the parts of the tune up are NOT for my car. That I have wires hanging that it shouldn't be. I will provide proof of this by showing my statements. Statement shows that I had a major tune up with All tune on 05/01/2013 mileage at 114526 for $350. Then on 04/27/2015 had spark plugs change with a mileage of 130801 for $145.00. Difference of 16,275 miles. On 02/16/2016 AAMCO did a major (unnecessary) tune up Mileage was 137284 for $681.08. Difference of 6,483 miles. I didn't need a tune up. You tell me if this is not highway robbery? DON'T GO THERE. You have being warned. And for what I see on other reviews, it seem that AAMCO is no good. I haven't seen there commercials anymore. What does that tell you? All they know about cars, is they don't know NOTHING.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I can only speak to my experience with the Roseburg, OR location... But if that is anything to go on, I will stay away from all AAMCO locations. I do not recommend anyone bring their car into the Roseburg AAMCO. I have a Mercury Mountaineer that we brought in last year at the end of August, maybe early September to have all the timing chains replaced. We were told that the repair would be completed at the end of the week, or beginning of the next week. It is now almost a year later, the warranty on the repair is almost up, and not one time out of the LITERALLY 12+ times they have told me it's all done, has it actually been repaired satisfactorily.

To make an extremely long story shorter, they charged me full price to replace all of the timing chains which was over $3000, and then proceeded to only do half of the timing chains and not use the correct tools twice before actually replacing the third like they should have in the first place. This caused damage to the engine to where they had to replace it. They told us they were getting a low mileage engine that had been compression tested to put in it, but after months of asking for the paperwork on the engine they gave us an "invoice" that had the price they paid of zero, no mention of mileage, and no proof of any type of testing.

Within less than 500 miles of them putting this engine in, it reeked of antifreeze anytime it was driven, and then started leaking coolant. After taking it to the Ford dealership they found that the oil was dark and slightly burnt smelling, and that the water pump needed changed, along with the cooling system flushed due to a weird oily substance in the reservoir.

After taking it back to AAMCO to have them "fix" the problems the car STILL reeks of antifreeze anytime it is driven, the oil gets more burnt smelling, and the antifreeze reservoir is back to looking like it did. Although Kyle, the owner, has assured me that even when the warranty is up if something went wrong he would still honor it and put that in writing, he has yet to do so. He says that's not how he does business, but after nearly a year of dealing with his business I have been charged full price for a repair that was only half done numerous times, have been given a car back that is not repaired numerous times, and have been promised things that I haven't received... Again numerous times. As I have told Kyle, at this point I do not trust his word, and quite frankly I do not trust his mechanics either after everything we have gone through.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have had my van at AAMCO on Harvard in Tulsa on and off for six weeks and had to rent a truck while it was there. They have not been timely on any of their estimate return dates ever. This most recent time they had it they promised it back in 4 days. On the 5th day they told me they had to pull the transmission again and would do this the next morning Sat. and would have it back to me Tue. I called them on Tue. am to see when it would be ready to pick up and they told me they haven't even removed it yet. No communication from them to let me know it was delayed or why until I called them. They told me they could not fit it in after saying I would have it back on that day. So now I have to rent a vehicle for another week. No apology whatsoever. I recommend never using them to anyone.

Original review: July 4, 2018

First repair was in August 2017. Then in November 2017 and now March 2018. My car was in the shop for 3 months. Had my vehicle for 5 days. My transmission is leaking already. AAMCO did a whack job. Instead of gasket. Silicon was used. Horrible job. My total price was at least. 3,700.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAMCO?

Original review: June 8, 2018

I went to check the transmission of my car. The service provide in this place is unique, reliable, I am so happy that somebody recommended me to go there, I highly recommended this shop. Whatever transmission problem you have, here is the solution.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I went there to AAMCO (Signal Hill) 'cause my car kept dying out at a light. David call me and said they fix it. I start driving the truck. And the engine still keep dying out. I take it back and they keep telling me they found the problem Again and again. I finally gave up on trying to get them to fit it after I paid them about 700 dollars at the beginning.

Original review: April 5, 2018

My shift cable broke while trying to back into a parking space. I was towed to the AAMCO located at 2525 Fowler Street in Ft Myers Florida. **, the tech, started working on it immediately. He found that the cable had broken at the shifter. It was repaired within 30 minutes of arrival and at no charge, since he found the repair part on site left over from a previous job. Considering the way I have been treated in the past, it was nice to find an honest and helpful business. They have my recommendation to anyone with transmission issues.

Original review: March 31, 2018

WARNING BULLY MEN who take advantage of people and SCAM them. They were aware I was a newly single newly disabled mom and they took full advantage of me. This place prided themselves an "all vet" staff, and since my brother and grandfather are decorated military gentlemen, I thought I would be in good hands. Quite the opposite indeed. Since I had multiple problems I will be writing multiple reviews, one for each of the separate problems. I took my car in for an OIL CHANGE. They "broke" the oil canister cap when taking it off the car, and told me this was a common thing to happen. So then they charged me to replace the part they broke (unprofessional in my opinion) making a remark about how Uncle Sam needed to be paid as well.

They also told me the case of synthetic oil I brought in was the wrong type. (My vehicle is only 4 years old and prior to this had only been serviced at the dealer.) 5W-30 has always been used on this vehicle, but they declared I had to have 5W-20. They said they had oil they could sell me and then I could just return the oil I brought in (in hindsight this was the second unnecessary charge, and we are only 5 minutes into my service...).

Shortly after my service, my car began to leak fluid all over my driveway. I asked my neighbor to come help me figure out what is going on. He said it looked like an oil leak, so I took my car back to AAMCO and told them about my driveway being full of oil. They checked the car and said it was fine and there was no oil leak. Perplexed I went back home and this time my neighbor crawled under my car, took pictures for me, and said it is definitely an oil leak. I told him AAMCO said it wasn't and he told me to take it to the dealer, as AAMCO was obviously trying to take advantage of me.

I took my car to the dealer and they said coincidentally they had a rash of vehicles come in for service which were recently serviced at AAMCO and all told the oil canister "broke" when taking it off the car. They also mentioned with the thousands of cars serviced at their dealership, they had never heard of such a thing, nor "broke" oil canisters when taking them off themselves. They then looked at my car and told me it was leaking oil, and the aftermarket oil canister AAMCO put on did not fit properly, so it was leaking oil. They knew I was in distress since I already told them I tried to take it back to AAMCO and they denied there was a problem. The dealer nicely provided me with a oil canister made to fit my vehicle and did not charge me labor, they only charged me for the part (excellent customer service).

I took the receipt and information back to AAMCO and asked that they refund me for the part I just had to purchase, which replaced the non fitting part they put on my car, which replaced the original part of mine they broke. They said no, but they could check with the manager and see what he said. I waited for weeks and never heard back. Yesterday I stopped by AAMCO to see if I could talk directly to the manager. The first thing they said was, "We called you several times and each time your phone was disconnected..." Strange since I have had the same phone number for 25+ years...? Anyway, then they said the manufacturer would reimburse them for the faulty part, so they could provide me a refund for the cost of the part. When I asked them what the cost of the part was they said $22. The part they broke and I had to replace was $70, as I showed them the receipt.

That was when the manager started to yell at me, declaring he was not going to pay for the part I bought at the dealer. I reminded him I first came back to them for a resolve, and they denied there was a problem, leaving me no choice but to go elsewhere. He claimed his guys had years of experience and if they said there was no problem, then there was no problem. Prior I had showed them the pictures, and currently they had the oil covered part in their possession... He continued to argue with me, so I suggested a compromise, maybe we could meet 1/2 way since there was such a price discrepancy. He said no. I said that does not make me feel very good, and his reply was in a yelling voice "I don't care about your feelings".

So I politely decided to end the conversation stating I was very sorry to hear that they run their business this way, and I would be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, as well as taking them to small claims court, and I began to leave. This made him furious and he began yelling at me more, coming out from behind the counter and following me to the door. I told him to be careful what he said as I would also be writing a Yelp review. He followed me outside to the parking lot and threatened me screaming if I try to hurt him, he will hurt me back. I felt very threatened and walked with my cane to my car as quickly as I could. I will be contacting a lawyer Monday.

Original review: March 25, 2018

AAMCO located at 1027 E Gun Hill Rd Bronx NY. I went there in October 2017 because the pressure sensor in my 2016 Nissan Altima went bad in my transmission, The sensor only cost $30 but they insisted that they do not repair transmission only replace or swaps. Ok cool. So they told me it would cost $2700. I didn't have the money up front but they get you by offering their credit program... THE transmission was a used 1 with 5 miles that came from Altima. that was crashed on its way to the dealer so they took the transmission out of that Altima and gave it to me... that's the story THEY gave me. Mind you anyone knows any time a car has a accident their parts can have Internal Damage so I agree to pay the $2700 back in October 2017.

NOW for these five months the transmission was running pretty good. All of a sudden it starts jerking hard and knocking hard. Again remember the transmission came out of a vehicle that had a accident = internal PROBS down the line. So I took my car to ** OWNER OF THE BRONX NY LOCATION ON GUN HILL. TOLD HIM THE ISSUE... NOW THE BS BEGINS. All of a sudden I need my receipt because he barely remembers me and also * his hard drive went down so he can't pull my receipt. Also I misplaced my receipt. I had 2 call corporate for them to locate my receipt # then they called ** and he says, "Ok good news. You're still under warranty." The warranty was 6 months from October 2017 until April I'm guessing.

STRIKE 2 HE TELLS ME, "NO WORRIES. I'LL CALL MY GUY AND ORDER YOU A NEW 1... SO LAST THURSDAY 3-15-18 he says it should be here by Friday-3-16-18 or by Monday 3-17-18. So bring it in on Tuesday will do a 1 day job swipe out. Tuesday I bring it and he says he has 2 move some cars it might be done by early Wednesday... But no worries. WED comes in New York we had a snow storm. All of a sudden he's not there and his assistant says it will be ready at 1030 am. I knew it was shady because a transmission job takes minimum 5 hrs. THEN ALL of a sudden he calls me and says, "The cars still has a jerk but no worries. You might have to go to the dealership and get a transmission reprogram because my software is down."

So I tell him, "How could you have changed my transmission and it still have the same issue?" He made a long lying excuse. So Wed goes and I leave it because it didn't sound right. Now we get to Thursday and he swore up and down that they changed it. The 2nd in command will be back shortly BUT THE owner won't be back till Monday. So Thursday 3-22-18 I pick the car up and I knew just how the car started. THEY never changed the transmission and that he was lying but ok let me be a good customer and go with the flow so I drive it and hear the same jerk. The transmission fluid had a burn smell and the rpm was rubbing high before shifting gears. So I go back and this time I go off on the 2nd in command and informed him.

The assistant manager name is ** by the way. Tall and heavy set guy. The 2nd in charge says, "Give us a second. Let me talk to ** about what's going on." 30 min later they tell me the diagnostic is reading a code. That means it needs a reprogram. I tell him again, "You guys did not swipe my old 1 out

The 2nd in charge name is **. He says, "Yes we did. But you have to go to the dealer and once they reprogram the tranny it will run good." So after a half day wasted I took all the info they gave me to give the dealer. The service dept tells me to reprogram your car = $300 plus tax. I spent $335 total. So I get the car back from the dealer SATURDAY morning 3-24-18. And it ran good for 10 min.

As I was heading home on the highway the Transmission starts going crazy. The Rpm goes almost to 7 and my car starts going a li'l wacko and i just dodged a accident. Lucky I was smart enough to make 5 videos of showing what the car was doing. I CURSED a couple times out of frustration but you guys can see for yourself. Through the grace of God the car drove 5 mph with my foot pushing the gas to the floor and it drove enough to just get me off the highway and 1 block from home where the transmission just blew. No power in drive or reverse and has a burnt smell. I am disgusted as a customer and I pray everyone reads this and reports these crooks because. I'M NOT GONNA let them get away with this. They lied to me and they used me and took advantage of me and I missed 5 days of work plus my Dealership bill was $335 of wasted money with no way to get a refund.

Original review: March 25, 2018 Am disgusted as a customer and I pray everyone reads this and reports these crooks because I'M NOT GONNA let them get away with this. They lied to me

and they used me and took advantage of me and I missed 5 days of work plus my dealership bill was $335 of wasted money with no way to get a refund.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Do not take your car to AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care on 1377 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77054. I took my car in on 12/22 and met with **. He test drove the car with me and heard the noise etc and said yes it a transmission issue and will require a tear down which normally cost $600. If the findings are not replicated after the tear down as from his knowledge the warranty co will not cover this cost if nothing is located, I agreed and said since Christmas is approaching let's wait and I'll bring it back on 12/26.

Because of the Christmas holiday I decided to take my car to his shop on 12/28 and ** said he will process the claim and take of it, I forgot to ask him for the paperwork to sign giving him the approval on the tear down, so I called ** and told her I forgot to sign the tear down paperwork as ** may have forgotten to give it to me and don't want this to hold up the work. The receptionist put me on hold and spoke to ** and came and told me that it's not required and it will be fine, I was a bit surprised as this does not falls in line what we spoke about on the initial convo prior to Christmas on the tear down etc.

Called him on 12/29 and he said they have not done anything but will be getting to it over the weekend, come Jan 2nd I have not heard anything from him so I called him and said they are still figuring it out and have not done anything. Now this is already day 4 with the New Year holiday, ** finally called me on 1/3. 1st call I got from your shop as I had to do all the follow ups, informing me that they are not able to replicate the issue. AAMCO test drove the car on the 22nd and the 29th and heard it several times, so I asked him, "Have you process the tear down." He said no because they don't feel it's required.

Now this is the process. The warranty co ask them to follow and both went against it, come Jan 4th the tech called me and updated that my warranty co is not willing to work with them so I told him let me call them as I've been following up with them daily and they been telling me they are waiting for the findings from the tear down and have not heard from AAMCO yet, so I called my warranty co and she was surprised by what the tech told me so she said, "Let's do a conference call," and now all 3 of us on the phone the tech, CS and I, she confronted the tech and asked him about the statement he told me which I'd told her, he responded, "No I said we were not able to replicate the issue." She asked him why the tear down was not done. He confirmed that he doesn't believe it required as he cannot replicate the issue.

Now the issue is apparent and all he needed to do is his job and per our agreement to process the tear down to identify the main issue on the transmission, so him knowingly that once you start a claim and drove the car it will create an issue in the future as he have dealt with warranty co for years, the CS mentioned if he does not want to process the tear down due to him not feeling it is required then it doesn’t seems we can move forward with this claim and I asked would this be an issue in the future as I found something was not right here, she confirmed, "I cannot answer that questions."

My point here is AAMCO kept my car for 4 days and basically did nothing according to our initial agreement and now the warranty co is not willing to cover the repair now on the transmission which has now gotten worst and I'm now having to pay $ 2,500 which could have been avoided had they done what they had promised upon accepting my care and process the tear down per my and my warranty company. I'm very disappointed by the end result as I'm moved my case to the highest manager with my warranty co and he explained the complete process and his and my findings are fault of AAMCO as they did not follow the simple tear down request. They are always busy and never follow through with the work they promised you as they are taking on way too much work and not giving the customer the quality for what you will be paying them, do not take your car to this shop. Try elsewhere and save yourself the hassle.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Had my transmission rebuilt 11 months ago in Hemet CA. For over $3200.00. Now a AAMCO shop in Wichita KS is charging me $5900.00 for a remanded transmission. So in the last 11 months I’ll be spending over $9,000.00 for a repair that should be under a warranty regardless of miles. It’s less than a year old. After I left CA I had to stop two times to get a leaking pan fixed, ended up going to Dodge to fix the leak. A cork gasket was installed by AAMCO 3 times. Dodge told me a cork gasket was the wrong gasket to use. Why??? Why is it costing me $ 9000.00 and how long will this one last??? At the cost of $3,200.00 a transmission should last more the 11 months. This transmission was also serviced by Ram after the rebuild at 4 months oil, filters and so forth as per AAMCO in CA. So after I do as I was told having to get a leaky oil pan fixed 2 X’s after the rebuild in Ca can AAMCO say that is was a job well done???

Original review: March 12, 2018 Starting 5/17 paid AAMCO $2800 for complete rebuild of 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix transmission. 19,000 miles later the torque converter exploded. Paid $1200 more at a different AAMCO location in Scottsdale, AZ for ANOTHER rebuild. 20,000 miles later, ANOTHER warrantied AAMCO transmission was installed. Today, 22 months after this insane saga began, ANOTHER transmission is needed. The Scottsdale franchisees are: Soscotts Transmissions. 2727 N. Scottsdale Road

Scottsdale, AZ. Jamcon LLC. 8225 E. Butherus Dr. Ste 1 Scottsdale, AZ. They run a criminal enterprise of tremendous cost, ZERO customer service or satisfaction. Substandard parts. Substandard installers. AAMCO transmissions are built to just get them over the line of the warranty period. They last an average of 25,000 miles.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I had a transmission replaced by AAMCO in 2013 and they again replaced it in 2015. Then it started to act up again in 2017 so I brought it back to the shop and they couldn’t duplicate the problem so they extended the warranty so I would definitely be covered. However 5 months later and about 4000 miles it started doing a lot more often and could be duplicated.

So I returned to the shop that to my surprise was no longer there. So I proceeded to try to contact AAMCO who would never return a single phone call at all so I emailed them and their response was since they couldn’t get a hold of the Petaluma shop they couldn’t verify anything and would not honor any warranty. So 50,000 miles and 2 transmissions I’m out of luck for any assistance. DO NOT USE AAMCO TRANSMISSION AT ALL. TAKE IT TO A REPUTABLE SHOP THAT WILL REBUILD IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. They dont stand behind their work and dont do the work right the first time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR HERE!!! They had my car for 2 weeks. The price to have my transmission looked at went from $85 to $380 to $980. Throughout the whole process the communication was horrible. The entire time I only spoke to the receptionist/office manager and when I asked if the technician looking at my car would call me she told me he was too busy. After the first week she told me that they were short on technicians and it would be another week before they could tell me what was wrong. The first week I was told that there was absolutely no water damage to the transmission because "their technicians are extremely thorough and water is the first thing they looked for".

When they asked me to approve the $980 I told them I was not paying $5000 for a rebuild. I was told that it would be nowhere near that and that was closer to the price the dealer would charge me which is the only reason I approved the $980. She also quoted me the price of a transmission from the dealer at $3300 so of course their price would be much lower she assured me. So the second week I receive a call from what I assume is the shop manager. I don't recall his name. I tells me he was gone the previous week and asks me to come down to go over their diagnosis. My boyfriend and I go down there and my transmission is on a cluttered table. At one point the "builder" had to remove parts of another car that were for some reason all mixed up with my transmission parts on the table.

As for water damage proof, all the builder showed me was a disc that, according to him, had damage to the seal. I didn't see it. They also said that the metal had been from my torque converter which was bad.That was it. We asked the "builder" if he would replace the torque converter and speed sensor, which was throwing the error code. He said yes, he would try to do that to save us some money. But the shop manager was not having it.

As soon as we went back into the office, he blurts out it was going to be $5500 for a rebuild and he would not replace just the converter and speed sensor. I never even got a chance to look at the estimate if there was even one prepared. He then said that he called the dealer and a new transmission was $3900. Once again much different than what I was told the previous week. By the end of the 2nd week I had my car towed out of there nothing repaired, with my transmission in a box now in my backseat and out $680. Their shop is a real mess too. Tons of old transmissions and parts are stacked up the walls with clutter everywhere. I have never experienced such dishonesty. Real scam artists. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR HERE!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

My husband and I were traveling to see our son's fiance graduate from her training at Fort Lee, VA. On the way home our Temperature light for the transmission came on. Got off the Interstate and stopped at an Auto Parts Store. Explained our car has a CV transmission and you can't check the fluid. Referred us to an Aamco Station in Fredericksburg just a few miles away. When we arrived we were met by the mechanic. Explained the issue. He stated that it could be as simple as a $250 sensor or the transmission would have to be redone $1495. Said it would take a few days. We had to get back home to Northern PA so we rented a truck (of course that is all they had available) from a rental dealer up the road and headed home. Office manager said they would contact within a day or 2.

Contacted us the next day stating that it was going to cost $2500. Said the transmission looked as though it would have to be rebuilt. Questioned the work and price. Mechanic said he had to look into further. Called back the next day stating it was going to cost $4500. After pure panic struck I thought I should call another Aamco dealer to get another opinion. Spoke with Mike at the West Seneca, NY Aamco station. Explained the entire situation and he agreed with the price and that his station would service the warranty. I asked several times to verify that they would look at it if any problems occurred and he assured me the warranty was good at his station. After a couple of weeks of trying to get the Fredericksburg station to finish the job they finally gave us a day to travel back to pick up our car. We had to rent another vehicle to get there. 7 hour trip one way. Got there and our car was not there.

Office Manager said that it was towed to a dealer to get reprogrammed with the new parts. Waited for 1 1/2 hours. Still no car. Explained we had a 7 hour drive to go back and wanted to get back on the road. He called the person that supposedly had our car and they said they were on their way to the dealer. My question, where was our car for the last 1 1/2 hours???? He told us we could go to the dealer to pick up our car. We had wired the money to them prior to picking it up. Dumb. I know. Gave us directions, drove to dealer. No car. Spoke with the Service Manager stated that our car had just been brought in a few minutes ago and that mechanics were on lunch. Then stated he hoped the programming goes through because if it doesn't there is nothing they can do. At this point I'm about to vomit.

After waiting over an hour they finally brought our car out stating it was reprogrammed. Then handed us a bill for over $100. We stated that we were under the impression that this was part of our $4500 bill we had already paid. Office clerk said she was never explained any different than us paying. After explaining our ordeal she contacted the Aamco Office Manager which then gave her the owner's cell #. After some convincing from her he paid over the phone. Finally on our way. We get 3 hours into the trip the car starts jerking. Would surge. Kept pulling over to put in Neutral, wait, then start again. Would continue to do it. My husband called the Aamco station. Manager says it's the new parts trying to catch up with the old parts. After about 20 miles it just stops surging. Ran fine the rest of the trip.

After 2 weeks it starts bogging down and making clicking noises when I start off and stop. Call to make an appointment with the West Seneca Aamco. Mike has us bring it up. Both of us take a day off of work as we have to leave it there. This is a 1 1/2 hour drive one way for us. Closest Aamco. Had it there for the week. Mike calls states it's not the transmission. Take it to 2 mechanics and a Jeep Dealer (It is a Jeep Patriot). Had the brakes and lines replaced. Had to have 2 new tires and realigned as they were bald due to one of the Aamco stations not realigning it after they were finished doing whatever they did to it, had new spark plugs replaced and a new CV axle put in. All trying to find the issues. After all of that all 3 places stated it is the Transmission. Call Mike in West Seneca, NY back. Tell him what we were told.

Jeep Dealer Service manager even called him and told him after they looked it over twice they to feel it is surely the transmission. Made another appointment. Took it up again. It was there for over a month. Finally told us that they have not even looked at it. Called Corporate and made a Complaint. The woman I have been dealing with has only been giving me lip service. She called and spoke with owner. West Seneca then towed it to the Amherst, NY Aamco station. It was there for 2 more weeks. Dealt with a different manager. Assured all was fixed. Drove it home after making another trip up to get it. Did not even get home. Stopped at a store about an hour away and still making clicking noises. Called Corporate. The woman wants us to take it back again. After arguing and being pretty much told we did not have a choice, but this time he would pay for a rental car for me.

I took another day off of work. As they are closed on Saturdays. Assured by the Aamco Corporate Claim Rep and the Office Manager that the owner would reimburse me for the rental. A rental company is just about 1/2 mile down the road from the station. Was contacted by the Amherst Office Manager that it was finally fixed and they felt very confident that they fixed the problem. Found a crack. Drove up, this time the manager met us on a Saturday. Asked about the rental reimbursement, they will send me a check. I knew where this was going. After a week the problem is still there. Called Corporate Rep. Explained I never was reimbursed and the problem is still there. She called me back said they wanted it back, and my check is in the mail. Called Amherst, NY. Different person as Office Manager is on Medical leave for having surgery.

Said he wanted me to bring it up so he could take a look at it and guide him to what is going on and then I could drive it back so he could order parts then I would have to bring it back. I have 2 jobs. It is extremely difficult for me to get anywhere without a vehicle. We live in a very rural area. 12 miles from 1 job and 25 miles from another. I have an elderly mother that I care for that I have to drive to several appointments. I still owe on my car. Cannot afford to try to trade a crappy running car in for a new car. Especially seeing as we had to take a partial loan out to cover the $4500 initial bill. The expense has been tremendous. The inconvenience has been ridiculous and the lack of responsibility from Aamco in every aspect has been so very disappointing. I would not recommend Aamco to anyone.

They have screwed me. I have never been reimbursed for the rental and the Corporate Rep that told me she would call me every week until this was resolved has not contacted me in almost a month. I do not even know what to do at this point. I refuse to take any more time off of work and I refuse to inconvenience anyone to drive me up there and I certainly refuse to spend any more money on this entire issue. I can't afford it anyway.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017 Went in for a leaking tranny case. High pressure to sell me $4,000 rebuilt. All I needed was a case, they gave me a bill of $2,100.00. I'd only agreed to pay $1,600, that's all they got. 90 days later I had the same leak and they would do NOTHING! The Owner, Craig, HUNG UP ON ME... he knew I was out of state!

Called AAMCO CORPORATE, they were just as worthless! In my Google review the owner responded with a bunch of half truths, calling me a "Poor Boy" job. If they can't soak you for thousands, you're not worth their time. Be forewarned!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Dropped our car off at AAMCO in Brighton Colorado on Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Got a call from Casey advising our transmission was bad and quoted 2,700-3,300. At that time we asked about the 100.00 dollar coupon. He said he would accept at pickup. They advised that our 2011 Equinox would be completed by Friday the same week. Friday comes and no call so we call them to find out the car is not ready due to the wrong seals being ordered. They said it would be ready the following Tuesday's. I called Monday to double check. They said quote was still the same. They would honor original quote and the car would not be ready until Wednesday or Thursday. We get a call Wednesday saying it was ready and would cost 3,427.00. I called them upset that they quoted less and basically raised the cost so the coupon didn't even count.

CASEY THE MANAGER personally told me over the phone he would go in and adjust the invoice and the final cost would be 3,227.00. He asked when we would be there, I advised Friday or Monday at the latest. He said, “Well let's plan on Friday so we can pay for the parts so we'll see you Friday,” basically trying to bully me into when I was able to get car. Didn't matter how long we already had to wait and their mistakes. We went on Monday to pick up. They charged us 3,316.00. When my husband brought up the conversation I had with Casey who he was dealing with Casey blatantly lied to his face and said, “I told your wife 3,400.00”. He had absolutely no integrity and we are so disgusted with this place. I will never recommend anyone to this location.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I had a bad experience with the AAMCO on Pawnee Meridian. I was promised my 95 Ford Mustang would be done in a week prior to when I brought it to their shop. But then on that last day I had to contact them to see how if it was done yet and it wasn’t. So I’m ok with that because I’m thinking they're taking more time on it to make sure everything is put together the right way. But the real ready is they got busy with other cars. So I finally get my car back on November 23 2017 when I took it to the shop on November 11, 2017 and was told by their customers service guy it would be done by Saturday of that week. It’s seem to amaze me that it would’ve been done that fast but I listen to them and trusted him that it had been done by that Saturday.

So I contacted franchise owner because I have had my motor done by his place before by a different mechanic and they did a great job but the guy that did my other car which is 84 K5 Blazer got let go. So then the mechanic calls in on that Saturday and I was promised I would have it by Monday of the next week. I did not get it on that Monday. I got it on the Wednesday after which is on November 23, 2017 and then four days later as I have my car from their shop it catches fire and they try to blame it on a relay from my fan when my car was not overheating at all. I talk to the fire department and they said it was a crossed wire that was wrong. They claim they have nothing to do with electrical issue but I know you have to pull every wire that connects to the motor before you put a new motor in and every wire and component should’ve been checked thoroughly before I got my car.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

AAMCO transmissions was the worst choice my family could have ever made. We paid them 3000 to rebuild our transmission and replace universal joints. 15 min after we were assured it was safe and fixed the driveshaft fell out in the middle of Hwy 29 almost causing a deadly wreck, they sent a rollback to get it, kept car again for weeks then eventually said it was fixed and safe again. 2 weeks later had to take it back again because wouldn't shift correctly, once again after a month and pulling transmission yet again they supposedly fixed it. Only for us to take it back again, yep they pulled the transmission again and assured us it was fixed.

After 2 weeks there was a lot of vibration and rattling around shifter, come to find out all shifter boot screws were missing and shifter bolts were loose, then transmission wouldn't shift correctly so we took it back again only for them to take transmission out for the 3rd time. That was 6 months ago and now they want another 1200$ to fix it! We hired a lawyer because the so called mechanic safety, not returned calls, and called my sister a liar, and this mechanic named Mike ** is now threatening her, told her if she doesn't pay more money he's confiscating her car. He has lied, put people's lives in danger and called her a liar, all to cover his own ** for the sorry job he did on her car.

There has been nothing but problems since he supposedly fixed the car. He talks to and treats women like they're stupid and we are pursuing legal action against him personally and AAMCO. Using AAMCO was the worst decision we ever made, they not only do not stand behind their work, which was terrible, but put my family and other people's lives in danger. The car was better before they worked on it. This is nothing but extorting a woman out of more money. So now we can't get car because they are keeping the transmission out of it until they get thousands more, while Mike ** threatens my family with confiscating the car. She has decided to spend whatever it takes on our lawyer to make sure that Mike ** is exposed for the sexist liar he is. He hides behind corporate like he is not responsible. If Mike ** knew what he was doing why did he have to redo the job 3 times. He is nothing but a sexist liar who has no concern with customer's safety.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

They suck. I had my transmission rebuilt here. When I got the truck back it was shifting hard and I also noticed transmission fluid in my driveway. So I sent it back in and they told me there was nothing wrong with it and that's how it's supposed to be. So I jacked it up and looked myself to notice right away that when they installed the pan they tore the gasket. So after they told me they had 3 mechanics look at it and it took an amateur to figure out was wrong... this place is a joke.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The AAMCO on 322 W Van Buren St, Phoenix, AZ 85003 is the location where I have had at least $6,000 worth of work done in 2 years. Overall, I've had at least $10,000 worth of work done with AAMCO over the past decade. Recently, I had $4,700 worth of work done at this PHX location and had a coupon that they had mailed specifically to me. **, the desk clerk, would not accept the coupon stating that they had included hidden discounts as the work was being done. I've checked around with another center and they said that they noticed no discounts. That the prices were regularly priced. Do not go to this center. Kincaid's on 7th Ave and Adams is an honest business that I have used in the past. The only reason that I started using AAMCO was because I had a line of credit and did not have to pay cash.

I contacted Melanie at the customer support, ext. 671 and left a voicemail. She contacted me and said that she would talk to **, but not to expect anything because each center is privately owned and she couldn't do anything about it. It took 5 days and 3 attempts to reach Melanie before she called me back. Nothing was done and I pay full price. I will never, ever go to AAMCO again and I will make it my life's mission to warn people about using AAMCO. I will pay cash with Kincaids and will be satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have a check light come on. They told me gasket and over 2000.00. It was the catalytic converter. Second truck. Gas cap was not good and tight. They told me again head gasket and over 2000.00. 3rd car vacuum hose had leak which we knew of but was curious what they would say and yet the gasket and would be over 2000.00. I did call Nate on the show and told him what had happened and he said he would talk to them. I choose not to. I just want them to be honest and they are not. All 3 cars and truck cost me 25.00 to fix. After the first time we knew what was wrong with the other 2 and again the head gasket 2000.00. I would not nor could I recommend to anyone. They would have ripped me off 3 times.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Can't speak of first hand experience with these guys as never been there. But this is a review from experience from someone who works there. Having seen an employer openly boasting of ripping customers off and charging way over the earth for a job that should of cost a lot less (see photos) on a certain social media site is just unacceptable and gives all mechanics bad names. It's just not on and reading all these bad reviews about this place I'm wondering how the place is still in business, and if anyone thinks about using these crooks, think again.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I had an issue with my car not accelerating, the RPMs would be at the highest level but the mph would not pass 20 or 30. Had Aamco do the diagnosis on my car which was like an hour, they came back with Catalytic converter, radiator and a belt. Estimated that the whole job would run about $1000.00. This was on 7/3/2017. On 7/5/2017 they called me saying "someone messed up and sent the wrong converter." Now the new piece was another $200.00. So pissed as I was, I agreed for them to change and fix the part. Knowing myself had the money that day so I would not spend it I went to make the payment. When I got there I paid 600.00 in cash, and was going to pay the balance on my card. So the person at the desk told me just pay the rest tomorrow when I was going to pick up my car.

So as to give me a receipt of the cash he printed out a paper, and then as I looked at the bottom it read big as day "paid in full", he kindly ripped that part off. So the next day 7/6/2017, I go to pick up my car, since it was bothering me so much asked about the prior day receipt. Couldn't give me an invoice of the converter that supposedly cost more, but then wouldn't give me copies of the initial estimate, so I took screen shots with my phone. Since then the car started to do the same thing, with the speed. The guy who gave me my estimate is no longer there, but the new guy said he'd take care of me. I was so pissed off I called Corp, not much help they were.

They called the shop, to try to see what was still wrong, Corp asked me to take it back to them. Two days and still no word on anything, my car was just parked in the lot, no one making any move to fix it. Then they say it's a speed sensor, we're only going to charge you the price of the part, no labor. On the third day I call and ask, "what's going on? " At this point the guy was about to tell me that it wasn't the speed sensor, I got so frustrated, I let them know I was coming for my car. Last note of these guys, I pick up my car the guy shows me a speed sensor that's brand new never put on car, that was it for me. I took my car, on the way home I noticed that the check engine light is on, and now it sounds worse than before! So disappointed in the fact that they don't care about how they cheat people. I would never thought such a well known company can conduct business like this.

Original review: July 23, 2017

These people are absolute scammers, the first time I went there I had to pay almost 300 dollars just for new spark plugs, the second time, almost 50 dollars for an oil change, and the third and last time I will ever go there they told me that I had a fuel pump problem but it would cost about 1070 dollars just to fix it. The thing is I just had my fuel pump replaced at Pep Boys a couple of months ago and it was still under warranty, so I had my car towed there (mind you at Pep Boys I only paid 500 something for this service). Not saying that Pep Boys is any better than them because they have zero regard for people's time but at least they didn't try to rob me of a month's paycheck. I'm 19 and in college, I don't have 1000 dollars to blow on a 3000 dollar car. Even the tow man who I rode with to Pep Boys told me that those people are total scammers and try to take advantage of women. Avoid them like the plague.

Original review: July 6, 2017

AAMCO Poughkeepsie, NY - Terrible Experience! They serviced my check engine light and 2 days later the light came back on! When I brought it back, they told me the issue was unrelated and transmission needed to be rebuilt (which is what a majority of the scam complaints for AAMCO say). Mind you I just passed a state inspection with no issues. They scammed me out of $400 and tried to get me to pay $3200 more for my "transmission issue." DO NOT GO HERE. Andy also lied to me and told me he'd contacted my warranty provider when in fact he had not. He also gave me misinformation about what my warranty would cover. I'm contacting the BBB and I hope the future scammed customers do the same.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Took my vehicle in for a transmission leak. The manager say and told me before I had it truck towed to him on Main Street in Woodstock Georgia that it would be a $250 diagnostic. Called me three days later and told me I need a rebuilt transmission for $2,800. When I told him not to do the work I will pick up the truck he told me it will be a $700 diagnostic charge. Two months later I had the truck returned after paying him $700 and paying additional $300 for towing and it does not even drive. The worst experience of my life. Thank you Dan.

Original review: June 27, 2017 This by far the worst customer service experience in whole my life. I had a problem with transfer case on my 2014 BMW X1 so I Google transmission

Shops in our area and found this one. I called and very friendly voice greet me Like it should be. Set an appointment. Next day I arrived at 8:00 AM to get my car fix. Everything fine. Manager took my car and I sat down in waiting room and as soon as manager saw me there whole hell broke loose. He told me to go away. I told him I have nowhere to go and I will hang around and wait for my car. After I said this he start spitting Any imaginable dirty word. I step outside and wait there. Car was ready in three hours.

So ask him for my car and he told me I will get my car at 5PM (car was ready at 11:30PM). I told him that I will call police and that made him crazy. He was running around and swearing non stop but meeting with police wasn't in his plans so he release My car and I was on my way. His name was Rock. He decline to tell me his last name. I call AAMCO but they can't do anything because have no control over franchise operations. So stay away from this shop and this manager-idiot. P.S. Mechanic who worked on my car was great. He did a good job.

AAMCO expert review by Lauren Fix

Anthony A. Martino opened his first auto repair shop, focusing primarily on transmission repair, in 1957 and expanded the Anthony A. Martino Company (AAMCO) in the early 1960s. The franchise now has more than 650 locations in the United States and offers a wide variety automotive services.

• Franchise locations: AAMCO has independently owned and operated franchises, so exact services, prices and discounts vary by location. This fact also means that when customers visit their local AMMCO, they are supporting local business owners.

• iGAAUGE: The AMMCO app serves as a roadside companion. It can tell users how far they are from the nearest AMMCO location, help them remember to keep a regular preventative maintenance schedule, chat with a technician to troubleshoot automotive problems and more. The app can be downloaded on Apple and Android devices.

• Transmission services: AAMCO’s founder originally focused primarily on the new demand (in the 1950s) for servicing automatic transmissions. The company continues to provide a wide variety of transmission services, including the most comprehensive transmission services in the industry the Power Purge® and Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush.

• Warranties: Warranties that come with products consumers purchase at one AAMCO or extended warranties purchased from one location will be honored at all franchise locations.

• Best for: AMMCO offers services to help any consumer who wants their auto serviced and/or repaired by professionals, especially those who are looking for a brand with locations nationally.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAMCO Company Information

www.aamco.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business