Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.76/5

Vanguard Reviews

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I had a problem with my account verification. Nicholas ** was very helpful and patient with me. He went out of his way to provide a step by step walkthrough of how to access my account. Issue was fixed. =)

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I've been with Vanguard for over 25 years, and have been extremely good to me. In questions, recommendations, and lately, a banking issue. I had a few of my accounts linked to my bank and even though it took a while, the resolution center/group added my other accounts to my bank so I could do transactions. My other alternative would have been to get a notarized application for each account and mail it in. Great company.

Get expert buying tips about Automated Investment Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Timeshare Exit. When I was a young man, I went to one of those free lunch deals and got trapped into a timeshare. I gave up trying to get out of it and kept it for many years giving away my timeslot to family and friends. I thought all hope was lost until I talked to John. He assured me every step of the way, until I was finally free. Again, thank you guys so much. Now that I got some extra cash in my pocket, maybe I should buy another timeshare... Just kidding! Haha.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Working for TJX TJMAXX of Port Jefferson. I was automatically enrolled with Vanguard since start date I have created a platform for life benefits. Vanguard website & customer service has been a great experience. I love the options & extensive foundation for future service... Vanguard is definitely the way to go!!! Absolutely love working with them.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I have been a Vanguard customer for many years. In fact I was about to have them manage my retirement for me. Vanguard thinks it's unimportant to help customers; they do not trust that their relationships will produce revenue for them; they act like kids out of college trying to get money for relatives and not a firm once dedicated to the consumer. STAY AWAY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanguard?

Original review: April 1, 2020

I needed help with a very recent investment that had a minimum investment of $3000/- purchased two days ago. On trying to change the investment balance I was informed that it dropped by 6/- dollars below 3000/- dollars and needed to wait till the end of the day as my investment would probably drop more and needed to add more dollars to be able to change the investment mix and received no advice on investment for a beginner. Very disappointing experience. My experience with Ally, Discover and Fidelity was really great especially Ally.

Original review: March 25, 2020

When I left FOX Broadcasting Company twenty-three years ago, I took my IRA and invested it with Vanguard, in Admiral accounts, which included an investment advisor. I repeatedly called for twenty-three years, to speak to an advisor, and was left on hold. Never spoke to anyone. Now at almost sixty-four, I watched $100,000 evaporate from my account. The worst of it was that I wrote two checks to cover my property tax. Then I receive a return check notice from Bank of America-- both checks bounced from my fully funded IRA account.

I called Vanguard 3/20/2020 and spoke to a complete incompetent named 'Emma from PA' who hung up the phone on me because I used the word, '**!' I'd just lost $100k, and Bank of America bounced the useless IRA checks issued to me by Vanguard. Half a million dollars in my IRA and my checks get bounced. Twenty-three years of blind stupid following Vanguard. Have liquidated the funds. I've never felt so misled by a company I trusted with my entire life savings. Twenty-three years. Read the reviews folks.

Original review: March 20, 2020

Started working with Vanguard trying to set up a high wealth account two months ago. Was informed by vanguard that an investment between 1M- 5M qualified me to be part of the flagship group with a team of professionals handling my account and access. After two month dealing and waiting for personal service I receive a message on the site of what my account should look like. Not only did they have all the income sources incorrect but they put in place a cookie cutter plan that you would get in a handbook. Vanguard is great if you desire to purchase your own stocks but they have no concierge service for your wealth planning.

Original review: March 16, 2020

The Vanguard website hides its telephone number in a maze of Q&A topics that drive the consumer to distraction. Its app does not allow for operations without confirmation by phone. If you’re lucky enough to find the phone number, a recording informs that they can not attend to you because of “a high volume of calls”, and summarily hangs up on the caller.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I've tried for over an hour to create open a new Trust account. For details, see below. To summarize, the enrollment forms end up giving errors. It doesn't work. Maybe someday when Vanguard turns into a professional company they'll actually make a functional website. For now, you can plan on wasting your time going through their enrollment process that doesn't work. Don't waste your time here. Go to Fidelity.

What exactly happened? First, I chose "Let's open my account," "Electronic bank transfer" funding, "No, I'm new here" (I don't have an existing account), "No" I'm not registered on Vanguard.com (like I said, I'm new here). It then starts the New Account process. I choose "General savings" investment, "Trust" account type. It says I can complete the application electronically by clicking "Complete Electronically." The next page doesn't have anything that says that (something they need to fix), but they do have a "Complete Online" button. I click "Complete Online" to "Do it now" and it takes me to a "Log on" page saying "You must be logged on to continue."

As I've already told them twice before, I don't have an existing account, so I click "Set up your user name and password." I click "Start" to "Sign up for... account access." I enter all my personal info, including SSN, and I hit a final roadblock error stating, "The information you entered does not match our records. Please verify that the information entered matches exactly with your account registration or contact us for further assistance."

Vanguard expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The Vanguard Group is one of the oldest and most highly regarded mutual fund companies on the market. This company is known for its pioneering creation of low-cost index funds. Their robo-advisor offering is targeting the baby boomers with a combination of automated and human advisor services.

• Financial advisors: The Vanguard Personal Advisor Services begins with a meeting between the client and the advisor in order to map out the user’s goals and to create an investment plan. Vanguard implements the plan and allows the consumer to decide upon their level of input.

• Fees and minimums: The annual management fee is 0.30 percent of AUM with a $50,000 minimum investment account. There are no commission charges for transactions.

• Low cost index mutual funds and ETFs: As is the case with most of the automated advisors, the account is populated with low fee ETFs.

• Other features: Vanguard offers rebalancing as well as consideration for tax consequences. The Vanguard site provides access to valuable educational and investment tools as well.

• Not comprehensive: The Vanguard Personal Advisor Services minimum $50,000 entrance investment rules out lower net worth individuals. The platform is limited to Vanguard funds.

• Best for: Higher net worth investors that prefer contact with a human advisor.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor