3.8/5 (701 ratings)
Find a Robo-Advisors partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Vanguard

Vanguard, founded by Jeff Bogle (who invented index funds), is a long-standing investment company that offers low-cost funds and robo-advising options. Its platform is intended for long-term investors who wish to buy and hold their funds. The company offers mutual funds, stocks, ETFs and options and requires no commissions on certain trades.

Pros

• Robo-advisor option
  • Free educational resources
  • Low-cost funds

Cons

• Lacks features on platform
  • Fund minimums

Bottom Line

Vanguard is one of the largest investment companies in the world and is known for its low-cost funds and robo-advising. It doesn’t have commission fees, but it does require certain fund minimums.

Top Vanguard Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Great variety of good performing mutual funds and ETF - no upfront charges, low fees on both index funds and ETFs - easy to use website, in transferring money from outside account...

Verified

When I had an emergency it was fairly easy to get my money. My portfolio was very diversified and I was able to keep abreast of any changes, trends, losses and gains. All in all V...

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is Vanguard?

Vanguard is a long-standing investment company known for its low-cost index and exchange-traded funds. It’s one of the largest of its kind in the world and has over 30 million investors. It’s not owned by outside stockholders — instead, it's owned by the customers who buy and own its shares, meaning Vanguard can give back its profits to customers through lower costs.

Vanguards offers commission-free ETF, stock and option trades, and the company has over 3,100 mutual funds with no transaction fees. It’s geared toward buy-and-hold investors, especially those looking to build a diversified portfolio from ETFs. Vanguard also has good educational resources for those wanting to learn more about long-term planning.

What is a Vanguard brokerage account?

A Vanguard brokerage account lets you invest in mutual funds or ETFs owned by Vanguard or other companies, as well as other investment products like stocks, CDs and bonds. It’s designed for investors who need more flexibility than Vanguard’s money market settlement fund offers.

How does Vanguard work?

You can start trading Vanguard ETFs, stocks, bonds and more through a money market settlement account. If you want to invest in Vanguard’s mutual funds and ETFs — or those of other companies — you’ll need a Vanguard brokerage account. The easiest way to fund your Vanguard accounts is by linking to your credit union, bank, savings or loan accounts.

When it comes to trading, you’ll have access to a basic trading platform that’s best for placing orders on Vanguard’s website and app. Unfortunately, the mobile view omits data like charting or the day’s change and volume. For certain investment products, like multi-leg options, you’ll have to call in your order with a live broker instead of completing it online.

New investors wanting some help and guidance can take advantage of Vanguard’s Digital Advisory, a service that provides professional money management for $4.50 per year for every $3,000 invested. The service is a robo-advisor that builds a basic index funds portfolio based on your personalized profile. You’ll need a Vanguard brokerage account and an individual taxable account, traditional IRA or Roth IRA to use Digital Advisory.

Vanguard fees

Vanguard charges $0 trading commissions on online trading of stocks, ETFs and Vanguard mutual funds. There also aren’t closing, transfer or inactivity fees. A few mutual funds charge purchase and redemption fees to discourage short-term trading and cover high transaction costs.

The company’s management fees, or expense ratios, are as follows:

• Mutual funds: 0.10%
  • ETFs: 0.06%
  • Target-date retirement funds: 0.10%

Vanguard also charges a $20 annual service fee for brokerage accounts and accounts with only mutual funds. This fee is waived for customers opting to receive statements electronically.

If you want to invest in Vanguard’s mutual funds, a minimum of $3,000 is required to fund your account. Vanguard also requires a minimum investment of $1,000 for any Vanguard Target Retirement Fund or Vanguard STAR fund.

Vanguard FAQ

Is Vanguard good for beginners?

Vanguard may be good for beginners — its library of educational resources can help first-time investors get started, but new investors may find it challenging to meet the fund minimums.

Is Vanguard a good investment?

Whether Vanguard is a good investment depends on your needs. Vanguard is known for its low-cost investing and is ideal for retirement savers and buy-and-hold investors.

Does Vanguard have account minimums?

No, there aren’t any account minimums, but there are fund minimums of $1,000 or $3,000, depending on the account.

What types of funds does Vanguard offer?

Vanguard offers mutual funds, ETFs, options and stocks.

Is Vanguard good?

Yes. Vanguard is a trusted leader in low-cost investing due to low expense ratios on index and exchange-traded funds. Its founder, Jack Bogle, invented index funds. Its services are ideal for buy-and-hold and retirement investors looking to build wealth over the long term.

Those new to investing might also appreciate Vanguard’s free educational resources and explainers on its website, as well as its low-cost Digital Advisor service. Active investors looking for a comprehensive trading platform may be better served elsewhere, as Vanguard’s website and app are pretty basic in terms of features.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanguard?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

We trust Clark ** and he recommended Vanguard for money management. We have a live advisor verses a robo advisor. The management fee is only .03%! After answering his questionnaire he put us in 60/40 stocks/bonds. After one year we are up 15%. However, the market has been going north and to me the true test will be during the downturns. We are in our '70s and feel comfortable having our retirement fund with Vanguard.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I have used Vanguard for my former employer’s 401K and subsequently rolled that 401K into an IRA. They have been easy to work with and the choices for investments have been great. They work with you to create a portfolio tailored to your individual investment goals and stage in life. The funds I have invested in have generally have exceeded my expectations on performance while the fees have been minimal.

Get buying tips about Robo-Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Clear and precise statement. Good customer service. Have always resolved our questions with one phone call. Great dividends on their investment strategies. Several options for investing monies. As mentioned before, great return on investments.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

It helps me manage my investments very easily from any one of my electronic devices. It consolidate accounts into one place and is easy to navigate and understand. It works to help me avoid financial risks.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Vanguard is a trusted leader whom I depended on over five years. The have mutual fund which I invested in was fantastic. Their charges are moderate and have excellent website. They never disappoint. Their slogan is Vanguard is the best.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I have been trying to resolve an issue with Vanguard since June 7th, 2022. Vanguard made a mistake and put my deposit in the wrong account. It was totally a Vanguard error. Subsequently I have made 5 phone calls to speak to a representative to get this Vanguard error corrected. Each time I was told it would be corrected and as of 6/23/2022 the mistake that Vanguard made has not been corrected so in essence I've been lied to. Their representatives at the lower levels are not competent and will throw ** at you to delay resolution. My next step is a complaint to the SEC. As soon as this situation is corrected, I will be searching for a new brokage firm. Sad as I have been with Vanguard for 20 years, but their customer service has become horrible unless you're giving them money. Read reviews on FB to decide for yourself if Vanguard is a company you want to invest with.

Original review: June 22, 2022

Entered a simple market order in the morning at market open. Vanguard did not execute orders by closing bell. Unacceptable. Do yourself a favor, go with a different broker. If you have an IRA, you cannot even execute a trade using their app, you have to use the website. I won't even bother calling customer service as that will be a multi hour ordeal. Will be transferring all accounts to a more responsive broker, even if I have to book a 20& loss.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Scenario: As a customer, I wanted to make a withdrawal:

- When you call 800-523-1188 expect a wait time of 2 hours or MORE!

- Failure to execute a withdrawal properly

- When I made a withdrawal request, a "glitch" in their system occurred as "Termination request initiated", basically they were saying I requested to close my account! I only found out after looking at my customer service portal and saw it there! When I in inquired they said "oops" and then found out they also terminated the initial withdrawal request without telling me!

- Failure to disclose bank information "6 day validation" before funds are sent

- Failure to disclose "checking account cant be used" to receive funds (which was actually a lie it turns out)

- After waiting 2 hours, I was hung up on by "Ricardo" and there was no call back. When I called back the wait time increased to 3 hours!

A simple withdrawal request turned out to be one of the most frustrating and concerning experiences of my life! Will be moving my money very VERY soon!

Original review: May 19, 2022

My company used Vanguard as 401K manager. I have accounts on ETrade, Fidelity, Ameritrade and Schwab. By far Vanguard is the worst of the bunch. Their site is horrible - can't even compare performance of funds - need to select each individually. I dare you to try calling support. Wait time today was 1:50 (yes - one hour and 50 minutes). Then they screwed up and I had to call back - another hour+. They don't have online real person chat, so that's your only option. I transferred it all out and so happy to be done with Vanguard. It was the worse eCom experience ever - and that's saying a lot.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Manages retirement account, slow, not helpful, customer service is a joke, ridiculous wait times, lies to customer, and customer service outsourced out of United States. Do not waste time, find another company.

Vanguard Company Information