2.48/5

173 Vanguard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

We sent our 2018 IRA contribution on April 15 2019. We have proof of the postmark. The mail must have been slow that week, because Vanguard got the check on April 23 (or so they say). They said since the mail was slow, they would not apply our IRA contribution to the prior tax year (?) We spoke to a number of other institutions as well as the IRS, and they all said the contribution should be accepted for the prior tax year. Vanguard thinks they can arbitrarily assign contributions to any tax year they want to, regardless of tax laws and regulations. We are filing complaints against them with both the IRS and the SEC and moving all of our families' funds out of these accounts to a more responsible and less incompetent institution.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Vanguard is the leader in providing low-cost index funds that have revolutionized and simplified investments for average people. However, Vanguard's service is quite poor and service investment advice can be remarkably poor. My impression is that Vanguard is staffed by rather green young professionals who have been taught to provide "The Vanguard Response" that is a curt and seemingly "definitive" advice... but without any understanding for or concern of the clients they are interacting with. And then, if you subscribe to their paid advisory service you get to pay $30,000 or more every year for their advice that does not fit the circumstances of your own unique life. My guess is that they don't have enough life experience to realize how naive and inappropriate they are. I don't think they are purposefully rude: they just don't know.

Get expert buying tips about Automated Investment Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Timeshare Exit. When I was a young man, I went to one of those free lunch deals and got trapped into a timeshare. I gave up trying to get out of it and kept it for many years giving away my timeslot to family and friends. I thought all hope was lost until I talked to John. He assured me every step of the way, until I was finally free. Again, thank you guys so much. Now that I got some extra cash in my pocket, maybe I should buy another timeshare... Just kidding! Haha.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My father passed away and every single one of the three people I spoke to were absolutely horrendous. No sensitivity whatsoever. I can't even believe how rude they were to me. If they could only imagine losing both parents by 28 years old. I don't want to have to deal with this anymore than anyone else. But be sensitive, they essentially even asked me why I was calling, just to inform them that he passed away? Wow. I am so disgusted.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I was enrolled for many years in a retirement plan with Vanguard through my employer. For the most part, I did not reach out to them for assistance with anything and managed my decisions on my own. However, when I left my employer I decided to transfer my retirement funds to a new service provider. That is when I learned just how terrible this company is when it comes to providing customer service.

There is no excuse for bad customer service on a consistent basis from a financial company. I was not expecting that. My first call to them was to ask about initiating a transfer of all my funds to a new service provider. The representative on the phone gave me short answers and repeatedly said all I had to do was tell them where to mail a check. There was no question about why I wanted to do that or any concrete steps provided on how. Needless to say, I ended up making many calls and following up with visits to their website to get all that I needed as well as working with the new company. I did not feel at all comfortable with the manner and the attitude I was getting over and again from Vanguard representatives. I am so glad I moved my funds. If you have a choice do not use this company. You will regret it the minute you need assistance from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanguard?

Original review: April 15, 2019

Working for TJX TJMAXX of Port Jefferson. I was automatically enrolled with Vanguard since start date I have created a platform for life benefits. Vanguard website & customer service has been a great experience. I love the options & extensive foundation for future service... Vanguard is definitely the way to go!!! Absolutely love working with them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I applied for a Hardship Medical Withdrawal on March 26th, 2019. They asked for a detailed bill on letterhead to be included for processing my request. After spending 25.00 dollars to overnight the information, They waited three full days before posting that my request had been denied because now they needed an explanation of benefits to process the request and it would take another three days. It was suggested that I fax the information. I faxed the information as requested and after two days, they claim that they hadn't received the fax. I wasted 11.00 dollars on faxing the information that they claimed they never received, and that faxed went through on April 2nd,2019. After speaking to yet another customer service agent, I was told that it would be better to mail it rather than fax it. So I spent another 25.00 dollars to overnight express the information that was dated and received by Vanguard on 4/9/19.

What should have taken 1-3 business days to process has become a hostage situation with funds that doesn't belong to them. It is currently 4/11/19, and my request is still pending. I called Vanguard at 8:53 am CST ON 4/11/19 to inquire about my status and the female that I spoke with said that my information was being processed and that a decision would be made by 5:30 pm and if approved it would take two to four business days before the funds are sent to the bank. I am writing this complaint at 7:00 pm on 4/11/19, and Vanguard is still processing the information that they received on Tuesday. This company has NO sense of timing and they don't care that what I am asking for is money that rightfully belong to me. What should have only taken a week, has taken nearly 3 weeks and I'm still waiting on them. I have contacted my place of employment to start the process of ending my business with Vanguard.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Very professional and always willing to answer questions about how they invest your money. They give you wise advice on which way to get the most for the money invested. One of the best retirement investors.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have had to push back my closing THREE times because of Vanguard's outdated and unrealistic processing. Firstly, I called every single day to make sure there was nothing else needed after having all my documents mailed overnight. Every employee told me everything was received, I then get an email at 10pm on a Tuesday that they were sure enough missing supporting documentation but didn't say what they were missing. So I did my own digging and sent what I thought they may have been missing. Whenever you send new documentation your processing time starts over another THREE business days, and you better believe they wait til the 3rd business day and hour. These employees don't care about the clients either, Jennifer ** and John **, rude and out of line. Moving my money to another Roth!

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been a flagship client of Vanguard for many years but I am pulling all my money out. I used their filled-in deposit slip to deposit 3 checks in to my Vanguard Prime Money Market account. They "honored" two of the three checks and credited my account. They could not "honor" the third check which was identical to one of the other checks BUT THEY WOULD NOT DISCLOSE WHY. After numerous phone calls talking to numerous different customer service reps, they still could not tell me why they would not honor the check. They also could not tell me why it took over two weeks to return the check to me.

When I informed Vanguard that I intended to move all of my money out of their institution, they did not even ask why or what can we do to make it better? How can an investment institution be so uncaring and so non-customer oriented as Vanguard? I am done - and I have given Vanguard a lot of business over the years. I am completely disappointed with them. If you are smart, you will not deal with them or their bank, Wells Fargo. I will give Fidelity a chance since I understand they are a little more interested in keeping my business.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I was given incorrect information concerning using my IRA to make a service purchase from my state retirement. Vanguard made out the check incorrectly. Now I must pay taxes and an early withdrawal fee or get a new quote from the state which will increase my purchase price $5000 to $7000. Stunning incompetence for a financial company.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I would probably used all the expletives in the dictionary as to how frustrating it is to get them to process a loan following their own timeline. I started this loan request on March 8th, and today is March 20th and the transaction is still pending!! I am at day 12 of a request for a loan, the last piece of information they needed was sent 8 days ago, and they still have not wired the money. It took me 3 days to be on the phone with them constantly because they kept saying they didn't receive the paperwork, even though I submitted it, they kept saying I did not fax it.

After 5 representatives and at least 3 hours on the phone playing hot potato with my complaint, one representative who had the brain to check the files instead of the fax says to me..."I am so sorry, the documents are there, already sitting there on "some file" but no one noticed"... YIKES!!!! Part 2... They told me, "Don't worry. Your funds will be disbursed by Friday, it's all done." Friday gets here and no funds, I call again and again hot potato, and again they started with the "we don't have all the forms from you yet," I screamed, and then they said, "Oh wait, here they are."

I asked to speak to a manager who guaranteed me the funds will be released on Friday and apologized for the delay. I told him that they should realize that some people need their money ASAP and they need to be more serious about their job. Today is Wednesday afternoon, and I have not received the funds, I just called them and got a new puzzle to solve, "Check with your bank. They might be holding onto the wire," I called the bank and they don't see any wire. I really really REALLY dislike their service. They are extremely incompetent.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Despite being a Flagship investor for over 10 years, Vanguard service has been the worst ever in my 30 years dealing with multiple financial institutions. They do not really care at all about personal investors. I am moving all my money elsewhere. Now that most Vanguard funds can be purchased elsewhere, I do not need to put up with their terrible service.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have a Vanguard account through my work and my husband does not have any account. He wanted to do individual investment on opening traditional IRA account with Vanguard and we started the process online but had few questions before we started. With my husband's busy schedule he had asked me to call Vanguard to just get few simple questions answered before we open his account. I called Vanguard when my husband was at work. Customer service agent asked to talk to my husband and I told her he's no available and before even listening to my questions she said she can't answer any of my questions without talking to my husband. I wasn't asking any questions related to his or my account. Questions were just general and she would even listen to my question. They have clearly lost our business.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Some of the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with. Called about withdrawal information on multiple occasions. Got different answers from many different people. All give you the runaround. Finally someone condescendingly gave me the correct info. The ones that originally answer that never know anything anyway or normally friendly. The ones they have to get to actually try to answer you are always unfriendly and talk to you like you are stupid for asking.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

It is pretty sad when you see so many people complain about one of the largest IRA holders in America. Did you know that when the market went down in Oct. 2018, people tried to get a hold of their account with Vanguard, and Vanguard froze all accounts for 3 whole days!! They blamed it on a computer glitch!!! No, it was because people were scared of the market and tried to cash out and Vanguard was blocking people from doing so. That is scary people!!! I have helped thousands of Americans protect their IRA over the last 12 years. My clients didn't lose in 2008 like most did. It is very simple to do. You have to look at all the warning signs right now!! Experts once again are warning us of social unrest and a financial crisis on the horizon. Are we going to ignore the same experts that warned us before the 08' crash again, or are we going to listen this time and protect our hard earned money?!!

Text or call me any time at **. Do your research people!! Look up what all the experts are saying. Back your IRA or 401K up with tangible assets! Get it off paper!! Was your financial advisor answering his phone when the 08' crash happened? I hear it all too often. "I have a financial advisor that is my friend that helps me protect my accounts and investments." Really? Ok. When we go into another financial crisis, let's see how many times he answers his/hers phone when you call and you cannot access your accounts. Even the top quant of the biggest bank in America is warning us, especially retirees because they have less time to re-cooperate their losses when it happens again. People, the CEO of UBS bank, the largest bank and asset holder in the world is warning everyone!! Do you we have to learn a lesson twice? Don't be that person. Bret. ** Leave a message.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Having been a Vanguard fan all these years I decided to open an account there and move some assets in. Long story short: 6 weeks into the process I still don't have my assets in Vanguard, thanks to the ineptitude and bureaucracy of Vanguard. Now for long story: I needed to open a revocable trust account. To open an account I had to establish an online ID, for which I had to call, talk to a rep and got that done. Did that, submitted the docs needed and waited. A couple of weeks later, got notified that account was open.

Now I try to log in and I'm locked out. User id no longer existed. So called back again to be told that my ID had been disabled for some unknown reason and that I needed to establish another ID and had to call someone else to make that happen. Did that, got a new ID and voila my account was finally open. Now for the next step: had to fill out forms to have the assets moved over from another broker. Did that and 2 weeks go by. Then I get a message saying I have to do it all over again as Vanguard requires both trustees (my wife and I) to sign everything even though my trust explicitly states that one trustee's signature is sufficient.

The well-meaning rep who was in touch with me by email was never available by phone whenever I called him. I'd be directed to some other person who was also well meaning but had no idea what to do and would simply send a message to the original rep. Anyway several weeks in at this point and I just resent all the paperwork with my wife's signature. We will see if it gets done. I'd say that Vanguard is sorely lacking in customer service when compared to Fidelity, Ameritrade, and Etrade, at least based on my limited experience.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I recently tired of the stock market up & downs. I decided to transfer my Vanguard fund to TIAA bank money market. I did the transfer paperwork thru TIAA on January 10th to start the process. It's February 12th and I still don't have Vanguard's money yet. They say they still have nothing from TIAA. TIAA says they sent it to Vanguard on February 1st. Who's at fault; I don't know????

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Vanguard failed to execute a stock order. When notified of their error, I was asked to submit proof which was promptly faxed to them. They then refused to rectify the error after several weeks of lengthy calls with often incompetent arrogant reps and "supervisors". This is not the first time I had a problem with timely execution with Vanguard, but it was certainly the most blatant as that same heavily traded stock was filled within that exact time frame at another brokerage house I had placed an order with. My family has been with Vanguard since it first started in the 1970's. I am at the helm now and I have sizable assets with them.

Zero loyalty towards long-time customers-they just don't care. It has certainly gone downhill within the last few years. There is zero chain of command and customer service is terrible. A big caveat if you intend to be an active investor-do NOT use Vanguard. They do have some good funds (although not as competitively good as they used to have), but their brokerage services are not up to par. I had recommended Vanguard for many years to others, but will no longer do so. There are so many more efficient and client friendly brokerage houses elsewhere. Save yourself the hours of frustration I just went through.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I recently scheduled a transaction to move my 401k from another financial institution to Vanguard. First of all the process is frustrating because it has to be done through a paper check in the mail. Really unbelievable in the XXI century. Second - When Vanguard received the check in the mail I was out of the country. Although I had call Vanguard prior to ensure they had all the required information, they were missing some information. They sent me an email asking me to get in touch with them. The only phone number provided was an 800 number I can not dial from abroad.

I responded by email asking for an alternate phone number and to my surprise Vanguard does not have a direct number other than an 800 number. Conclusion - I was not able to talk to them while abroad. When I got back to the US, the check had been returned to me resulting in huge losses. How can a global institution can operate without providing a direct number to call when outside the US?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I'm working with my financial advisor to consolidate my 401k's and contacted Vanguard to have my 401k rolled over to another company. They tell me the company put two security questions on my account that only they have the answer to. How does that keep my money secure if the company is the only one with access? They refuse any other forms of proof of identification. Even after speaking with a supervisor they tell me if I cannot answer the questions I cannot access my 401k. Unbelievable. My financial advisor is as astounded as I am. I'm attempting contact with my former employer, but I may have to hire a lawyer to access my funds.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

For at least five years I have had to write a check and transfer the money by iPhone. I have been sent the wrong forms, given conflicting advice and incurred unnecessary notary and attorney's fees. If they would look at their records, they would see a consistent transfer of the interest on a monthly basis for five years. The latest thing is no one notified me that they were changing checks which rendered a check I wrote to charity invalid. Now I will have lots of fees and stress trying to straighten this out. There is plenty of money to cover the check in the account. Once the craziness of the season is past, I am going to try to transfer to USAA. The attorney and the notary both stated and commented in a negative way about the absurdness of the situation.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

The last 11 months of dealing with #Vanguard have been THE WORST experience I have had with ANY company. I’m not a dramatic person, I’m telling you the truth. We have received no information and then wrong information on numerous occasions, as well as paperwork that has been lost. After continued incompetence by a number of Vanguard reps my brother and I now risk losing 50% of our late father’s IRA. So frustrating and infuriating.

On Vanguard’s website homepage they state, “Unwavering loyalty to our clients.” I can’t question their loyalty to their clients, as I have never been one of their customers (nor will I choose to be). But, I can tell you that they are not helpful to the rightful and legal inheritors of their clients’ accounts. So to any of you that have Vanguard accounts, I would suggest you look at your options for liquidating or transferring your accounts to a different company ASAP. They will not make it easy for your wife, children, etc. if/when you pass away. It has been a nightmare dealing with this company and I cannot wait to be done with them. Please learn from my experience so you and/or your loved ones don’t have to go through the same experience in the future.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I want to advise I find that Vanguard to be the least customer focused investment company you could find. I deal with several and they do not hold a candle to the others. Their staff is not trained at all, takes multiple calls, errors are high and they do not value their client. Ease of doing business is horrible, like dealing with the government. Error after error after error even when you call to confirm it is wrong. Also Vanguard just doesn't care. A horrible company. Use someone else such as Fidelity.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Fellow consumers, do not ever use Vanguard. They made major and highly problematic - unauthorized changes to my account, refused to reinstate the prior account settings, and insist they didn't. Made no meaningful effort to correct their errors. Frequently offered forms of sympathy in response to my protests, took no responsibility.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have been trying to request a loan from my 401k since 11/29/18. It is now 12/11/18 & Vanguard is still dragging their feet with this! There is absolutely no reason why I shouldn't be able to access my money at this time!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I came upon hard times and after using all of my resources I got the bright idea to apply for a hardship loan. On 11-15-18 I applied for the loan. Today is 12-6-18 and I still haven't received it. Upon calling Vanguard after waiting 5 days for a deposit. I was told my bank rejected the deposit. No-one reached out to me to let me know there would be a delay. Guess I can read minds. I was told it would take 3-5 days to process and an additional 7-10 days to receive in the mail. My thing is this. If I am applying for a HARDSHIP LOAN that means times are hard. I literally can't afford to wait all of these extra days.

Wouldn't it be smart to overnight or use 2 day shipment if someone is getting a HARDSHIP loan. I call on 12-3-18 to check the status. For some reason the rep couldn't give me any information. He agreed to give me a call back that same day. No call, they were closed the 5th and I had to call them back. This is ridiculous that you have to wait that long to receive your OWN money in a time of need. The only reason I left 1 star is because that is the only way to leave a review. There should be options of who sponsor your 401k. Vanguard would not be on my list of picks.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Via online, I requested a "sell" and transfer of funds to me via postal service via check. A full 28 days later and check has not arrived. In the meantime, I "connected" my Vanguard account to my bank as I anticipated that they would either have to resend a check else electronically transfer. Their procedure for "connecting" Vanguard to one's bank includes two "microtransactions". After one views the transactions at one's bank, they are to go back online with Vanguard and enter the two transaction amounts. Vanguard then retrieves those two microtransaction deposits. A FULL two days after Vanguard retrieved those deposits, Vanguard STILL does not allow me to transfer funds electronically to my bank. So I merely asked them to send me a replacement check via snail mail. I hope it arrives. Vanguard's customer service is absolutely pathetic. In the New Year, I will be moving my IRA far, far away from Vanguard.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

So my younger sister died from metastatic breast cancer, she had an IRA with Vanguard. Vanguard's last statement to her said it was worth $1785. That's not much, but she paid into it what she could. She suffered for five years with the cancer before she left us. We started the process to close the account and cash it out. They told me that my Durable power of attorney was no good as it pertained to their company, it would hold no water and we'd have to use their paperwork. They sent the wrong paperwork to fill out and return, questioned my sisters state of mind when she signed the power of attorney and questioned the notary that handled the power of attorney. Delaying the process at every step. My sister passes and it goes into a lawyer's hands at this point. They claim the value of the IRA to be $1100 now and after three times before a judge, the final payout was $600.

For a company who's AUM is 5.1 trillion dollars, I'd just like to understand why it happened this way? Did you need the remainder of it that badly that you add more emotional stress and insult to our family? I am so thankful that her life insurance wasn't handled by you also. She left behind four kids and you stole that money from them. I'll never do business with Vanguard and suggest that no one else does either. I had to give a minimum of 1 star so I could post this, but given the choice, I'd deduct 5 stars. More bad reviews for this company than good ones and they mostly say the same things. It's not a coincidence people. I believe Vanguard to be corrupt and crooked as well as greedy with no thought towards the people they "Serve".

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I am writing pertaining to a Hardship Withdrawal I recently made. My request was for $2000.00 to cover my “Hardship” but when all said and done, the amount I received was $1500.00. I understand the $200.00 Federal Withholding amount and the $50.00 fee to process from Vanguard but I don’t understand where the other $250.00 went? I am aware of the so called fluctuation in the market that you listed that could affect the withdrawal but I did not see any proof of this fluctuation listed anywhere. So I am to assume that the “market” just fluctuated as Vanguard stated, so I am out $250.00? When I request a certain amount, that is the amount I need. So I need to request more than the amount I need so I can get the amount I need? No. Also what if the “Market” fluctuates up? Then you are going to give me more than I requested? I think not.

In the end, this is my money, money that I am contributing, money what I am requesting, in a certain amount, and expect to receive minus tangible fees discussed and outlined. And why is not the fluctuation taken out of my balance instead of my requested Hardship Withdrawal amount? The amount I request is the amount I need and expect to receive- out of MY money (balance). Everywhere else fees are applied to balances when withdrawals are made. I request proof and justification of why $250.00 extra has been taken out of my Hardship Withdrawal request. A copy of this letter has been sent to my attorney, a complaint has been submitted to the BBB, Federal Trade Commission, and any other online site I can find that will list complaints again business, i.e. Vanguard.

Unfortunately, this is the company my company has chosen to deal with investment funds and I can not do anything about it. When my parents pass and I inherit their estate, I will definitely not chose Vanguard to invest my retirement in. This is a total scam and I will spend the rest of my life letting everyone know that this is how you gain hidden fees.

Vanguard expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The Vanguard Group is one of the oldest and most highly regarded mutual fund companies on the market. This company is known for its pioneering creation of low-cost index funds. Their robo-advisor offering is targeting the baby boomers with a combination of automated and human advisor services.

• Financial advisors: The Vanguard Personal Advisor Services begins with a meeting between the client and the advisor in order to map out the user’s goals and to create an investment plan. Vanguard implements the plan and allows the consumer to decide upon their level of input.

• Fees and minimums: The annual management fee is 0.30 percent of AUM with a $50,000 minimum investment account. There are no commission charges for transactions.

• Low cost index mutual funds and ETFs: As is the case with most of the automated advisors, the account is populated with low fee ETFs.

• Other features: Vanguard offers rebalancing as well as consideration for tax consequences. The Vanguard site provides access to valuable educational and investment tools as well.

• Not comprehensive: The Vanguard Personal Advisor Services minimum $50,000 entrance investment rules out lower net worth individuals. The platform is limited to Vanguard funds.

• Best for: Higher net worth investors that prefer contact with a human advisor.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg