3.83/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Vanguard

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Vanguard Reviews

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I had a problem with my account verification. Nicholas ** was very helpful and patient with me. He went out of his way to provide a step by step walkthrough of how to access my account. Issue was fixed. =)

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I've been with Vanguard for over 25 years, and have been extremely good to me. In questions, recommendations, and lately, a banking issue. I had a few of my accounts linked to my bank and even though it took a while, the resolution center/group added my other accounts to my bank so I could do transactions. My other alternative would have been to get a notarized application for each account and mail it in. Great company.

Get expert buying tips about Automated Investment Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Timeshare Exit. When I was a young man, I went to one of those free lunch deals and got trapped into a timeshare. I gave up trying to get out of it and kept it for many years giving away my timeslot to family and friends. I thought all hope was lost until I talked to John. He assured me every step of the way, until I was finally free. Again, thank you guys so much. Now that I got some extra cash in my pocket, maybe I should buy another timeshare... Just kidding! Haha.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Working for TJX TJMAXX of Port Jefferson. I was automatically enrolled with Vanguard since start date I have created a platform for life benefits. Vanguard website & customer service has been a great experience. I love the options & extensive foundation for future service... Vanguard is definitely the way to go!!! Absolutely love working with them.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Very professional and always willing to answer questions about how they invest your money. They give you wise advice on which way to get the most for the money invested. One of the best retirement investors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanguard?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Vanguard seems to have reduced the number of index funds and other options. Also, we have been underway on a transaction for my wife for a month without resolutions. They seem to be stepping on their own two feet. Finally, they seem to be pushing more their new “advisory” service more than effectively providing existing services. I plan to abandon ship.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Called Vanguard recently with three simple questions regarding my retirement account. The rep. placed me on hold three separate times for a lengthy delay each time. I was on the phone with them for forty-two minutes and for thirty-eight of them I was on hold. Their reps. are inept and extremely poorly trained. They knew nothing. After all the BS, they still could not answer my questions and advised me that they had to research the questions and send me the answers via snail mail in five days. PATHETIC!!!! In contrast, I called Merrill Lynch regarding a separate retirement account regarding the same three questions and was on the line less than five minutes and never placed on hold. Stay clear of Vanguard!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I'm an American living in Germany, and today I found myself locked out of my account because I no longer have access to my US phone number and therefore Vanguard can't text me a security code. Thinking I could easily get this rectified (PayPal fixed the same issue for me in 3 minutes), I called their help line. The rep told me the ONLY way to remove this added layer of security, and thus to get into my own account, is to fill out a paper form that must be NOTARIZED and then mailed to the US. The kicker is, I can't just use any old German notary. I have to use a US-certified notary, meaning I have to make an appointment at the closest US embassy (4 hours away by train), then pay $50 for the notarization on top of shipping costs.

Best-case scenario, I won't be able to log into my own account for weeks, I'll be out at least $100, and I will have to take a day off work. This is RIDICULOUS. Added security is fine, but locking someone out over a defunct phone number is absurd, and it's atrocious that the representatives cannot and will not do anything about it. I do no recommend this company. Will be transferring my money somewhere else the second I return to the US.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Originally I thought a company like Vanguard should have an easy to navigate website for retirement plan participant to use. However, it took me very looonnng time to find the right link for investment option changes. The company purposely designed the web to make investor confused so finally they have to click the company's "advise service" to choose the funds. By the way, the link I found worked for the first two time, I could not be open for the third time.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I would not recommend Vanguard under any circumstance. July 18, 2019 I tried to transfer $10K of stock in-kind out of Vanguard to a different company. I gave an incorrect acct # causing the receiving firm to immediately send Vanguard a rejection notice--which they claimed over the course of 5 calls with my investment firm to NEVER have received...until we provided them with a tracking number from the receiving firm. So, they were generally lying for convenience. Also, Aug 13 Vanguard called me to say the transaction "settled"--BLATANT lie #1.

Next they gave me a BOGUS confirmation number--BLATANT lie #2, because I called back to confirm and was told no such number exists in their system! Upon researching and finding the rejection notice, they called me again. I asked if the transaction was executed and verified the right acct number, and was told it was--BLATANT lie #3. As of today, Sept 24, the stock has not been received. I'm making my 6th call this morning. Wish me luck!

Vanguard expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The Vanguard Group is one of the oldest and most highly regarded mutual fund companies on the market. This company is known for its pioneering creation of low-cost index funds. Their robo-advisor offering is targeting the baby boomers with a combination of automated and human advisor services.

• Financial advisors: The Vanguard Personal Advisor Services begins with a meeting between the client and the advisor in order to map out the user’s goals and to create an investment plan. Vanguard implements the plan and allows the consumer to decide upon their level of input.

• Fees and minimums: The annual management fee is 0.30 percent of AUM with a $50,000 minimum investment account. There are no commission charges for transactions.

• Low cost index mutual funds and ETFs: As is the case with most of the automated advisors, the account is populated with low fee ETFs.

• Other features: Vanguard offers rebalancing as well as consideration for tax consequences. The Vanguard site provides access to valuable educational and investment tools as well.

• Not comprehensive: The Vanguard Personal Advisor Services minimum $50,000 entrance investment rules out lower net worth individuals. The platform is limited to Vanguard funds.

• Best for: Higher net worth investors that prefer contact with a human advisor.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg