3.56/5

185 Vanguard Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

Fell on hard times after getting out of a 20+ year toxic marriage where his “injury” led to falling behind on our mortgage. Requested a hardship withdrawal with all necessary paperwork included. Initial request was approved but I resubmitted with a revised amount because the previous one had expired. Now for some reason it’s been denied. The lender and attorney for the lender have never seen anything like what Vanguard is asking for in the way they need it. Not to mention the legal document they said I could request to have modified to satisfy them specifically excludes what they are requesting to protect my privacy. They don’t care and they’re rude. They won’t let you speak with anyone else, not even the “reviewer” making the decision! So I may be on the street in just a few weeks because I’m not able to get my own money! With three children as a single mom. There is something seriously wrong with this company.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I had employer sponsored 401K Plan with Vanguard for 5 months and terrible experience, they charged administrative fees $59 per year without any disclosure. I had rollover funds from my previous employer to Vanguard,I contributed 6% in order to get employer matching 3.5%, but they said I cannot get matching benefit because I did not stay with the employer long enough, it was not mentioned in any disclosure. When I changed my new job and requested Rollover Check from Vanguard, my funds were missing. When I call customer service, wasted time for over 30 minutes waiting and they said market dropped, that's why I received less. Please be aware of that, better save in your saving account.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Something I’ve never seen discussed is what I take to be Vanguard’s extreme risk aversion. I’ve had significant retirement assets invested with Vanguard and here are two of my experiences:

[1] I was assigned a Vanguard advisor to help with my investments. He made several errors, including recommending a certain roll-over, which turned out to have tax consequences of over $10,000. I complained about the bad advice and was told that Vanguard did not give tax advice. However they had, and were now just avoiding responsibility. Discussions with advisors are recorded by Vanguard, and I asked for the recording to prove my contention, but they refused to provide it.

[2] I hold Google stock through Vanguard, and wished to present a proposal at the Alphabet Inc stockholder meeting. Alphabet naturally required a letter from Vanguard stating that I actually was a stockholder, and to my surprise, Vanguard refused to provide it, effectively depriving me of my stockholder rights. Several weeks of emails, phone calls, threatened complaints to the SEC, and lawyer letters followed, until Vanguard finally relented and provided the required statement.

Vanguard’s transaction costs may be low, but the hidden costs of trusting one’s investments to them can be high.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I am rolling over my previous employer 401K (Voya) plan to my current employer. Voya sent check to Vanguard a week ago and it was cached by Vanguard couple days ago. Vanguard has no records of my funds whatsoever. Vanguard is refusing to investigate why/how my retirement was lost. All info I gave (check #, tracking #, etc) was not enough for them. They keep telling that they cannot do anything on their end. It is amazing that financial institution like that cannot guarantee a safe fund transfer (paper check, really?)... But refusal to do anything on behalf of Vanguard is simply astonishing.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Vanguard site is frequently excessively slow or unresponsive. This has continued for months without resolution. Further, the site kept on loading a page pushing paperless after every transaction even though our account was already signed up for paperless. This went on for over a year - found out that we were supposed to call them to turn this off!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanguard?

Original review: April 23, 2019

We sent our 2018 IRA contribution on April 15 2019. We have proof of the postmark. The mail must have been slow that week, because Vanguard got the check on April 23 (or so they say). They said since the mail was slow, they would not apply our IRA contribution to the prior tax year (?) We spoke to a number of other institutions as well as the IRS, and they all said the contribution should be accepted for the prior tax year. Vanguard thinks they can arbitrarily assign contributions to any tax year they want to, regardless of tax laws and regulations. We are filing complaints against them with both the IRS and the SEC and moving all of our families' funds out of these accounts to a more responsible and less incompetent institution.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Vanguard is the leader in providing low-cost index funds that have revolutionized and simplified investments for average people. However, Vanguard's service is quite poor and service investment advice can be remarkably poor. My impression is that Vanguard is staffed by rather green young professionals who have been taught to provide "The Vanguard Response" that is a curt and seemingly "definitive" advice... but without any understanding for or concern of the clients they are interacting with. And then, if you subscribe to their paid advisory service you get to pay $30,000 or more every year for their advice that does not fit the circumstances of your own unique life. My guess is that they don't have enough life experience to realize how naive and inappropriate they are. I don't think they are purposefully rude: they just don't know.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My father passed away and every single one of the three people I spoke to were absolutely horrendous. No sensitivity whatsoever. I can't even believe how rude they were to me. If they could only imagine losing both parents by 28 years old. I don't want to have to deal with this anymore than anyone else. But be sensitive, they essentially even asked me why I was calling, just to inform them that he passed away? Wow. I am so disgusted.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I was enrolled for many years in a retirement plan with Vanguard through my employer. For the most part, I did not reach out to them for assistance with anything and managed my decisions on my own. However, when I left my employer I decided to transfer my retirement funds to a new service provider. That is when I learned just how terrible this company is when it comes to providing customer service.

There is no excuse for bad customer service on a consistent basis from a financial company. I was not expecting that. My first call to them was to ask about initiating a transfer of all my funds to a new service provider. The representative on the phone gave me short answers and repeatedly said all I had to do was tell them where to mail a check. There was no question about why I wanted to do that or any concrete steps provided on how. Needless to say, I ended up making many calls and following up with visits to their website to get all that I needed as well as working with the new company. I did not feel at all comfortable with the manner and the attitude I was getting over and again from Vanguard representatives. I am so glad I moved my funds. If you have a choice do not use this company. You will regret it the minute you need assistance from them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I applied for a Hardship Medical Withdrawal on March 26th, 2019. They asked for a detailed bill on letterhead to be included for processing my request. After spending 25.00 dollars to overnight the information, They waited three full days before posting that my request had been denied because now they needed an explanation of benefits to process the request and it would take another three days. It was suggested that I fax the information. I faxed the information as requested and after two days, they claim that they hadn't received the fax. I wasted 11.00 dollars on faxing the information that they claimed they never received, and that faxed went through on April 2nd,2019. After speaking to yet another customer service agent, I was told that it would be better to mail it rather than fax it. So I spent another 25.00 dollars to overnight express the information that was dated and received by Vanguard on 4/9/19.

What should have taken 1-3 business days to process has become a hostage situation with funds that doesn't belong to them. It is currently 4/11/19, and my request is still pending. I called Vanguard at 8:53 am CST ON 4/11/19 to inquire about my status and the female that I spoke with said that my information was being processed and that a decision would be made by 5:30 pm and if approved it would take two to four business days before the funds are sent to the bank. I am writing this complaint at 7:00 pm on 4/11/19, and Vanguard is still processing the information that they received on Tuesday. This company has NO sense of timing and they don't care that what I am asking for is money that rightfully belong to me. What should have only taken a week, has taken nearly 3 weeks and I'm still waiting on them. I have contacted my place of employment to start the process of ending my business with Vanguard.

Vanguard Company Information