Find a Robo-Advisors partner

2. Finance
  3. Robo-Advisors

3.9/5 (556 ratings)
Find a Robo-Advisors partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Vanguard

Vanguard, founded by Jeff Bogle (who invented index funds), is a long-standing investment company that offers low-cost funds and robo-advising options. Its platform is intended for long-term investors who wish to buy and hold their funds. The company offers mutual funds, stocks, ETFs and options and requires no commissions on certain trades.

Pros

• Robo-advisor option
  • Free educational resources
  • Low-cost funds

Cons

• Lacks features on platform
  • Fund minimums

Bottom Line

Vanguard is one of the largest investment companies in the world and is known for its low-cost funds and robo-advising. It doesn’t have commission fees, but it does require certain fund minimums.

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Vanguard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanguard?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanguard?

Original review: July 29, 2021

Vanguard is a trusted leader whom I depended on over five years. The have mutual fund which I invested in was fantastic. Their charges are moderate and have excellent website. They never disappoint. Their slogan is Vanguard is the best.

Original review: July 26, 2021

Vanguard caused me to have a big problem when they told me that "after tax" money is not really "after tax" money in my pension fund. After a withdrawal I got a big hit on my taxes and spent several weeks trying to resolve it. I had to liquidate several Roth IRAs to pay it back. After 2 weeks waiting, they dragged their feet on this, saying that they were "very busy." Fortunately, I called the pension fund administrator; he apparently read the Riot Act to them and they restored the account as it was when all this started several months ago within 2 days.

I have been trying to move the account to another brokerage (for obvious reasons). Several weeks ago my new account advisor and I contacted them and they said that this could only be done if they sent me a snail mail form. I have waited more than two weeks for this, but none has yet arrived. I called them today, and after being cut off from the extensions they directed to me twice, I got a person who said they would send the form within 10-15 days, and it would take 10-15 days to then transfer the account. This is a 6-figure account. I would think that there is a class action suit here somewhere.

Original review: July 10, 2021

We have been trying to withdrawal from my 401k for 32 days for a house down payment with my plan allows for. We have overnighted paperwork to them multiple times. We have spent countless hours on the phone with them. Each time getting told different answers. It feels like they are trying to gate keep the funds until you give up. When asked to put a supervisor on the phone, there are none available. The documentation they send in response to requests are vague and unhelpful form letters. Calls mysteriously hang up when you are talking to them. So because of their inability to provide actual customer support, and their dragging of their feet with my requests, I may lose my first home. Stay away from this company.

Original review: June 19, 2021

I had an account with Vanguard for over 20 years. After adding a large amount to my account received from the sale of my home they triggered a new security requirement without informing me. When I had desired to move the money to avoid a certain stock market conditions, I was not allowed to do so without completing this additional procedure. I lost about $10,000 as a result. I will never forgive this company. I will be moving the money to another brokerage house ASAP.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I been with Vanguard over 10 years. I have have seen my 401k lose 20k at one time and that's the market game but trying calling or discussing your investment or try to move your funds or get fund these are the most incompetent people I have ever encountered. Lost paperwork not notes. Just a bunch of children playing with my investment and can't explain anything. I know that when I retire from this company or leave I am taking every cent to a different company. Don't trust them with your money..

Original review: June 11, 2021

Vanguard is the WORST investment group our employer has ever contracted with. I can't get access to my funds for hardship withdrawal to catch up on bills as a result of the COVID-19 pandemics. Vanguard will easily take your money but is impossible to get it back unless you leave your employer. Absolutely the worst company. Horrible experience!!

Original review: May 17, 2021

I've been working with Vanguard for over a month to resolve an issue and every time I call, I get a different answer on the situation. The issue is still ongoing. First off, every call took forever to get a hold of a representative, there is no point-of-contact to communicate with. They transfer me from one person to another with no one giving me a concrete answer on what's going on. One person told me they will give me a call back to update me but that never happened. I made a mistake on the application because of the way it was structured and contact Vanguard to try and fix the issue, each person assures me the issue would be resolved but I haven't gotten any updates.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Vanguard is well known for their low fees, but should also be known for their atrocious customer service. During the last month, I have contacted their customer service line 6 times attempting to get a simple tax form. They refuse to send this form to my secured Vanguard email box and when I paid to receive it via FedEx overnight, they still haven’t even processed the request 5 days later! I have close to $1 million dollars in Vanguard accounts and plan to take my business elsewhere after my terrible experience.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I transferred my ira over to Vanguard. 3 months later and it’s still pending. Customer service is terrible and long waits and still have no damn clue as to where my $ is. Very bad company to deal with.

Original review: April 13, 2021

I have been a Vanguard client for probably 20 years. They used to be fabulous. If I ever had a question, I could call and reach a representative (of any sort) within a minute or two, no matter when I called. Now, as others have noted, the hold time - no matter what day or what time you call - is AT LEAST 30 minutes, and often much more.

I just got off the phone today after waiting 35 minutes to reach one representative only to be told that I needed to talk to someone in another department, where it turns out the estimated wait time was 75 minutes, and - no - I could not be transferred directly to a person there, despite already waiting 35 minutes....I just got thrown into the queue with all the other plebes. (I should also mention that I knew from the start that I needed this other department, but there wasn't an automated selection to get there, and the system didn't recognize my verbal request.) And did I mention that I had to search like hell to even FIND a customer service number through the web site? Or that I was calling because of transaction errors (2nd time for that)? I've put off moving my accounts for months, but today was the last straw.

Vanguard Company Information