Find the Best Assisted Living in Des Moines, IA
Top 8 Des Moines Assisted Living Facilities
A Place for Mom
|Read 6 Reviews|
Assisted living referral service. Paid for by participating communities and free to use. Provides a local advisor, tour scheduling and move-in support. Caregiving and independent living assistance.
|Calvin Community||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living and memory care in Des Moines. Allows you to adjust services based on your or your loved one’s changing needs. Provides housekeeping and laundry service for all residents.
|Morningstar at Jordan Creek||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living and memory care at its facility in West Des Moines. Plans a calendar of events and activities for residents. Provides help with daily activities and meals.
|Prairie Hills Senior Living||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, memory care and respite care at its facility in Des Moines. Provides dining service, local transportation, housekeeping, laundry service and help with daily activities.
|The Shores at Pleasant Hill||Read Author Review|
Offers independent and assisted living and memory care at its facility in Pleasant Hill. Provides housekeeping, laundry service, on-site dining service, local transportation and on-site activities.
|Valley View Village||Read Author Review|
Offers independent and assisted living, memory care, respite care, rehabilitation and skilled nursing at its facility in Des Moines. Provides a chaplain on-site and an on-call registered nurse.
|WesleyLife||Read Author Review|
Offers independent living, assisted living, short-term rehabilitation, memory care, adult day care and hospice services at its eight locations in Iowa. Provides 24-hour staffing and dining service at its Wesley Acres facility.
|Woodlands Creek Senior Living||Read Author Review|
Offers assisted living, independent living and memory care in Clive. Provides local transportation, housekeeping, laundry, dining and medication management services for all residents.
Benefits of assisted living in Des Moines
All of Iowa’s assisted living facilities are regulated by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals. This department conducts routine inspections to ensure that residents receive proper care consistently, but it can't guarantee that assisted living in Des Moines is right for you or your loved one.
Consider the other benefits of choosing Des Moines for assisted living before you make your decision:
- Des Moines’ medical facilities: Des Moines has quality health care available for both emergencies and routine treatment. MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center is part of the larger MercyOne network and the oldest hospital in the city. Veterans may receive treatment at the VA Iowa Central Health Care System too.
- Des Moines’ weather: Des Moines is a great location for older adults who like variety in their seasons. The city has warm summers, with an average high of 86 degrees, and cold, snowy winters.
- Crime in Des Moines: Des Moines has a crime index of 11, meaning that it is safer than 11% of American cities. This index means Des Moines is relatively safe in comparison to most larger cities, though its crime rates are higher than those in other parts of Iowa.
- Des Moines’ public transit: The Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority provides public transportation in the area. DART vehicles are accessible and compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act. For people whose disabilities prevent them from utilizing fixed-bus routes, DART also provides transport through its DART Paratransit service. Adults over the age of 65 and people with disabilities qualify for its half-fare program. Veterans also pay a reduced fare.
How much does assisted living cost in Des Moines?
On average, the price of assisted living in Des Moines ranges from $3,500 to $4,350 per month. Assisted living costs vary based on the facility's:
- Level of care
- Types of services
- Selection of amenities
Facilities that offer more services and amenities generally cost more, and the size and floor plan of a community’s apartments also influence its prices. Some facilities offer the option of shared or companion living to reduce these costs, though.
When searching for an assisted living facility, gather quotes from multiple communities and talk to representatives at each one about your options. To keep costs low, some facilities may adjust services down to only what you or your loved one needs.
Des Moines assisted living FAQ
- How do I pay for assisted living in Des Moines?
- There are many options for paying for assisted living in Des Moines, including:
- Pulling from savings
- Having long-term care insurance
- Selling a home or other assets
- Taking out a reverse mortgage
- What is the difference between assisted living and senior living in Iowa?
- “Senior living” is often used as a catch-all term for different types of care at retirement communities. “Assisted living” refers to a specific level of care where residents in these communities receive help with daily tasks and occasional medical care.
- What are the requirements to live in assisted living in Iowa?
- To live in an assisted living facility in Iowa, residents must be adults who need limited help with daily living, but they:
- Cannot be bedbound
- Cannot require two-person assistance to stand
- Cannot have unmanageable incontinence
- Cannot need assistance with more than four activities of daily living for more than 21 days
- Cannot require daily skilled nursing services and professional therapies for more than 21 days
- Cannot be in an acute stage of alcoholism, drug addiction or uncontrolled mental illness
- What Des Moines regulations protect older adults in assisted living facilities?
- Older adults in assisted living facilities in Des Moines are protected by regulations from the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, Health Facilities Division. Communities must be licensed as assisted living programs (ALPs), which comes with basic requirements. For instance, ALPs must provide help with activities of daily living, medication assistance, limited health services and meals, including one hot meal per day.
- What organizations support and protect older adults in Des Moines?
- Many organizations support and protect older adults in Des Moines.
- The Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman advocates for adults in all types of long-term care, including assisted living facilities.
- The South Side Senior Center provides classes, health and wellness programs, and recreational activities for older adults in Des Moines.
- Iowa’s LifeLong Links program provides consultations to help older adults determine their needs and goals along then provide information on local resources.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Des Moines assisted living company information
Prairie Hills Senior Living offers assisted living, memory care and respite care. Assisted living care includes laundry service, help with daily living activities, restaurant-style meals, activities and transportation. This is a pet-friendly facility with on-site amenities, like fitness classes, a pool and a spa.
- Located in: Des Moines
- Address: 5815 SE 27th St., Des Moines, IA 50320
- Phone: (515) 256-9143
- Website: prairiehillsdm.com
Woodlands Creek Senior Living offers independent and assisted living and memory care. Assisted living includes housekeeping, laundry service, transportation, activities, restaurant-style meals, medication assistance and help with daily tasks. Amenities include large closets, storage space, Wi-Fi and scheduled events. Dial Senior Living, Woodlands Creek Senior Living’s parent company, operates four other assisted living facilities in Iowa and more in select states.
- Located in: Clive
- Address: 12675 Woodlands Parkway, Clive, IA 50325
- Phone: (515) 223-9755
- Website: dialseniorliving.com
Morningstar at Jordan Creek offers assisted living and memory care. It provides meals, help with daily activities, incontinence care, medication assistance, and speech, occupational and physical therapies. The community also provides enrichment activities, such as outings. MorningStar Senior Living, this community’s parent company, runs assisted living facilities throughout select states.
- Located in: West Des Moines
- Address: 525 S. 60th St., West Des Moines, IA 50266
- Phone: (515) 373-8006
- Website: morningstarseniorliving.com
WesleyLife operates Wesley Acres in Des Moines as well as other locations throughout Iowa. It offers independent and assisted living, helpful living, memory care and rehabilitation. Assisted living includes housekeeping, 24-hour support, meals, assistance with medication and help with daily activities. Amenities include a library, a fitness center, a theater, a salon and a recreation room.
- Located in: Des Moines, Newton, Pella, Indianola and Johnston
- Address: 3520 Grand Ave., Des Moines, IA 50312
- Phone: (515) 271-6500
- Website: wesleylife.org
Valley View Village offers independent and assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing, respite care and rehabilitation. Assisted living includes 24/7 support staff, an on-call registered nurse, housekeeping and linen service. As a Christian facility, it has a chaplain on staff too. Amenities include a barbershop and salon, a library, multiple lounges, and a wellness room. Valley View Village’s parent company, Cassia, also operates a facility in Newton and other locations in select states.
- Located in: Des Moines
- Address: 2571 Guthrie Ave., Des Moines, IA 50317
- Phone: (515) 265-2571
- Website: valleyviewvillage.org
The Shores at Pleasant Hill offers independent and assisted living and memory care. Assisted living comes with housekeeping, restaurant-style meals, transportation and wellness activities. Amenities include nearby fishing, community gardening, underground parking, and a barbershop and salon. This facility is pet friendly as well. Immanuel, the parent company of The Shores at Pleasant Hill, also operates a location in Council Bluffs
- Located in: Pleasant Hill
- Address: 1500 Edgewater Drive, Pleasant Hill, IA 50327
- Phone: (515) 303-3565
- Website: immanuel.com
Calvin Community offers independent and assisted living and memory care. Residents can move between levels of care as their needs change. Assisted living includes housekeeping, laundry service, meals, 24-hour nursing responses, transportation and help with daily tasks. Amenities include exercise classes and activities.
- Located in: Des Moines
- Address: 4210 Hickman Road, Des Moines, IA 50310
- Phone: (515) 277-6141
- Website: calvincommunity.org
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.