2. Elder Care
  3. Assisted Living

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.60/5

Brookdale Senior Living offers multiple care services for seniors in more than 1,100 facilities nationwide. Brookdale emphasizes helping you find the right care plan for yourself or your loved one. With amenities such as gardening, fitness classes and trivia nights, Brookdale caters to a wide range of interests and needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Brookdale Senior Living is a multifaceted senior living facility with more than 1,100 locations in the U.S. Each facility provides several levels of care.

PROS

• 1,100+ facilities nationwide
  • Memory care services
  • Multiple care services
  • Numerous amenities

CONS

• Not available in all states
  • Pricey

Top Brookdale Senior Living Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookdale Senior Living?

They are very flexible and are there because they truly love their jobs. They aren't there just for the paycheck which is noticeable and greatly appreciated. There are great features and amenities on site which is wonderful!! ... never a dull moment… Peace of mind is priceless... in my opinion.

My mother loved this place after her surgery. She was able to pick her arrangements and the staff were very knowledgeable… We wanted something suitable for my mother and they had an array of options to choose from. We loved it. The value was reasonable especially for the amount of care provided.

What is Brookdale Senior Living?

Brookdale Senior Living offers a variety of senior living services and communities around the country. Services include:

• Independent living: Ideal for seniors with an active lifestyle.
    • Assisted living: For seniors who require assistance with daily tasks and activities.
    • Memory care: Provided for those with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
    • Skilled nursing: Short- and long-term nursing care for patients.
    • Continuing care retirement communities: Multiple levels of care available on one Brookdale Senior Living campus.
    • Hospice care: Care for those battling a terminal illness through on-call support and services.
    • Home health: Healthcare and senior care services inside the patient’s home.

Brookdale Senior Living works with each family to identify the right level of care for their loved ones through comprehensive discussions and support. It also helps families understand the financial costs behind senior care by providing resources and financial planning assistance. Veteran benefits are also available.

How much does Brookdale Senior Living cost?

The cost of Brookdale Senior Living is directly associated with the level of care provided.

• Independent living: $870 to $7,545 per month
    • Assisted living: $800 to $7,725 per month
    • Memory care: $2,795 to $10,030 per month

Other fees include a one-time admission and apartment preparation fee that ranges from $385 to more than $6,100, depending on the level of care needed.

Those who need skilled nursing services may be able to pay for care with Medicare or private insurance.

Patients interested in a continuing care retirement community will need to choose between a rental structure or lifetime care. Each requires a monthly fee that varies by location, housing selection and necessary care services. The monthly fees cover expenses such as groceries, utility bills, lawn care, entertainment, laundry and more.

Brookdale Senior Living FAQ

How many Brookdale communities are there?
    Brookdale Senior Living operates more than 1,100 communities across the country. Each community provides varying levels of senior care services.
    Where is Brookdale Senior living located?
    Brookdale locations can be found in the following states:
    • Alabama
    • Washington
    • West Virginia
    • Wisconsin
    • Wyoming
    Does Brookdale accept Medicaid?
    Yes, Brookdale Senior Living accepts Medicaid and other forms of government benefits or private insurance.
    Is Brookdale a skilled nursing facility?
    Yes, Brookdale Senior Living facilities offer skilled nursing services. These services may not be available in every facility, so it is best to inquire in advance.

Is Brookdale Senior Living good?

Brookdale Senior Living facilities are a good option for seniors looking for additional care. With the facilities’ different levels of care and services, there are options for all seniors. While some may find the cost pricey, Brookdale’s team has professionals who can help you review your options, understand financial planning and navigate Medicare/Medicaid benefits.

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookdale Senior Living?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Brookdale Roanoke diagnosed my sister incorrectly for almost a year only to collect funds. They were asked on multiple occasions if she had Dementia and stated yes. She was never seen by a Doctor there. An independent Doctor review resulted in her not having Dementia. After a year of telling the family she had Dementia they agreed and she was released. I reached out to discuss the issue via phone and email they refuse to respond. Do not use this facility!!!!

Brookdale Senior Living response

Johnny, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and are aware you have spoken to a member of our management team previously. We have shared this comment along with your email with them for their further review. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

My father spent two months (2019) in the assisted living building which was okay. He then went to the memory care building due to confusion. While there for two months, he fell several times and the staff were not helpful in coming up with a plan to prevent falls. The nurse was incompetent and did not provide medication ordered by the doctor. We asked for physical therapy for him to build his strength but despite assurances, he never got any. The management increased his fees several times but did not provide the care he needed. I cannot recommend them.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Leslie, the health and well-being of our residents is our top priority and we are sorry to hear you feel this way. We are committed to providing quality services and have shared your feedback with our corporate management team for their further review.

Get buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I could never say enough good things about Brookdale. The employees are the best. The facility is beautiful. There are tons of activities such as games, cards, swimming pool, pool table. The living room is very homey and a wonderful place to come sit. My parents moved there about 7 years ago. Everyone was so nice and treated them so well. They always made sure all their needs were met. When my dad got dementia they went above and beyond in caring for him until he died. My mom is still there and they are so kind to her. With this Covid pandemic they are checking on her several times a day to make sure she has everything she needs. They bring her snacks, puzzles, and other goodies. They visit to make sure she doesn't get lonely. I cannot begin to say how glad we are to have my mom there.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Do not send anyone to the Florham Park, NJ center. This place has denied my Mother’s right to speak to her attorney. I gave my Mother an iPhone 7. She called me every day and the last phone call I received from her was that she wanted out and that she wanted to speak to her attorney. That was on April 4, 2020. She also told me that the people there don’t speak English. There is nothing wrong with that; however when dealing with patients English should always be spoken - or a translator provided. That is the last time my Mother used her phone. Since then I have received 5 pages of 24 x 7 data usage report. I have requested three times for my property to be returned and all times it has been denied.

I have reached out to Superior court of NJ - family division. I am my Mother’s primary contact with the Somerset County Department of Aging and I am reaching out to them to do an emergency inspection and to give my Mother the capability of speaking with her attorney. I plan on suing this place under criminal code 2C for refusal to return and denying me the right to my property. And for Human rights violations. I am waiting for a Captain and the Mayor of Florham Park to take action. I have informed them if nothing is done they will be sued in Federal Court under U.S. 42 Statue 1983. Under 8 counts and violations against the U.S. Constitution. They under the color of law have an obligation to protect people from abuse, protect property, due process and free speech. All of which have been denied to my Mother. Do Not ever send anyone here; unless you hate them.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Annette, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and respect our residents and their POA's wishes and privacy. We encourage you to reach out to the POa to discuss concerns you may have. We are aware the phone has been shipped to you. Thank you.

Original review: March 24, 2020

If your loved ones have anything more than the basic needs, do not send them here. Their medical staff is understaffed. They are disorganized and I had to constantly be an advocate to make sure they were helping my Uncle. We pushed the emergency button and no one came. After 10 minutes I went to the Nurse's station and they said someone would be there as soon as they finished with another person. I said what if he was having a heart attack and they looked at me as if I had two heads. He hadn't had a shower and it turned out he wasn't even on the schedule. One time I arrived and the heat was on so high that he was slumped in his chair. They have no method of organization in the room - like no clip board on his bed for the aides or nurses to fill in when they come in so the staff can track what has been done and when.

My Uncle was only there 2 weeks. He was rushed to the hospital with a urinary tract infection and a viral infection in his lungs. Brookdale didn't call to let us know. We didn't know until the hospital called. The only good things about this place were that some of the staff was very nice - the receptionist, the dining room workers, some of the aides. There wasn't a hand washing protocol. The last time I visited it smelled in his room and the bathroom was a mess - there were no sheets on the bed. He probably got a urinary tract infection because they didn't change his catheter enough. I don't think the medical staff is the problem - they are understaffed and they have too much to do - but they are VERY disorganized.

I don't think the lunch staff received benefits as one woman told me she was on Medicaid. Which of course also means that they were grossly underpaid. I am not sure what 9k a month was paying for. My uncle was quite old. He is dying now. I'm not going to say that he wouldn't be dying if they had taken better care of him but I do think that, perhaps, they sped up the process.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Catherine, we take your comments seriously and encourage you to call our corporate resident and family connection team. We would like the opportunity to learn more and discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: March 21, 2020

My mother was a resident at Brookdale Willowbrook Place in the memory care facility. Along with rude and disrespectful uncaring staff, I had to report this facility to the State for what happened to my mother while in their care. She fell, twice. The second fall went unreported to myself, facility management, and hospice. According to their policy, all three should have been informed and an insistent report should have been filed. The following day, I visited my mother and noticed she was in pain and obviously distressed. I inspected her body and noticed an abrasion to her leg. When I inquired a caregiver about what happened, it was then I was told she was found on the floor in her room screaming. They simply put her back in bed and left her there. After I requested mobile X-rays to be done, the report states she had a fractured hip.

My mother lay there for 17 HOURS, with no help, pain medication or medical attention of any kind. I had to place her on crisis care and she passed away 5 days later. What’s makes this even worse, the same exact thing happened to another resident shortly before this happened to my mother. So this was not an isolated incident. As I said, I reported them to The Department Of Health and Human Services. An investigation followed and my complaint was officially substantiated and they were cited. Please, if you are considering this facility for your loved one, please look elsewhere. You can also look at The Department Of Health and Human Services or D.A.D.S to see the citations this place has received.

Lori,

We take your comments seriously as we do the care and safety of our residents. We have shared this review along with your others with or corporate management team for their further review.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Today we visited a good friend who is a resident at Brookdale Beckett Meadows Senior Home. When we arrived and entered her room she was upset and asked for help. We immediately went to the front desk to request a staff that could help her but could not find ANYONE and we were in the main area of the home. We knocked on the business offices in the facility but no one was there. We also used the call button from our friend's room to get help but also got no response. We then called the facility from our cell phone and we were able to reach someone who said they were all in the cafeteria.

*Note = while we were trying to find help we stopped one of the staff who was walking through the facility and asked her for help and were shocked by her response that she was "clocked out". She did not even ask what the problem was or the severity of it. Is this the type of person that should be working at a Senior Home??

When someone did come to our friend's room she informed us it was her first day. She was very friendly - but not trained. My sister, with the help of the new girl were able to get our friend out of the bed so that she could go to the bathroom (which at this point was too late) so it was just a matter of cleaning her up. Due to the time it took to get someone to help her, she was upset and stressed out. She was also concerned about her oxygen tubes coming loose and said she could not breathe.

During this ordeal we noticed how dirty our friend was. Her skin, her hair, nails etc. It was very alarming and concerning that she is not getting the care and attention we were told she would get if she stayed at Brookdale. What would have happened if we HAD NOT SHOWN UP WHEN WE DID? When would someone at Brookdale answered her bell she rang numerous times BEFORE we walked into her room?? The biggest concern we have -- which we have many - is the lack of compassion and care the staff demonstrated today when we did finally get someone to come to her room.

We were also told, by her son, that no one in management works at the facility on the weekends so basically no one is there to assist when something happens to the residents that are staying there. If you are someone that has loved ones that are needing assisted care, I urge you to do your research and read the reviews on Brookdale Beckett Meadows before making a decision.

Sheree, Jerry and Connie **

Brookdale Senior Living response

Connie, we take this comment seriously and encourage you or your friend to reach out to our corporate management team at 855-717-5638. We would like the opportunity to learn more about your experience and discuss any concerns you all might have. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

It was a terrible experience, they immediately started dad on a laxative without our knowledge, and it was not needed. He got so weak and ended up in the hospital. They denied ever giving it to him, even though we had proof. They added $850 more a month for a two person lift, because he was so weak from their mistake! They would. To communicate with me or answer my phone calls, and were often untruthful. They drugged dad, with extra medications, without our knowledge or consent. When I questioned it, they never responded. Their hospice was a joke. I was never reimbursed for products even though Brookdale kept charging me. Their daily care was very lax and disappointing. We couldn’t get dad out of there quick enough! The new place took him off three medications and reduced the dose of a fourth, and he was so much better. And they are $2000 a month cheaper. Brookdale was a nightmare for dad and our family.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Holly, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. The care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we are aware the family has previously spoken with our regional and district clinical management teams. We have shared your comments with them and our corporate management team for their review. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Please do not consider this facility if your love ones cannot assist in taking care of themselves. If they need assistance in feeding themselves, bathing, putting clothes on or off, we discovered that most of the staff was not caring enough to reassure the family that they could/would keep our Mom safe or comfortable. The night shift was terrible; they were rude, condescending, and dismissive; and they were not held accountable when issues were brought to the attention of the managers. The managers were dismissive when we brought issues to their attention, and did not follow their own directives in notifying the family of falls or other medical issues. Their initial presentation to family to consider their facility was wonderful; but please don't believe that they can deliver. We are devastated that we considered and decided on this facility.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Sharon, we are sorry to hear you have concerns and we take them seriously. We are committed to providing quality care and services to our residents. This review has been shared with our corporate management team for their further review. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

This place is a joke. Don't take anything they say or their website says seriously. My father has lived there since 2015 and his rent has increased by 7% each year but isn't receiving any better care or services. The funny thing is - one person may be paying $3500/mo. while the person next door is paying $2500. It just depends on how much fuss you raise. He went for a year with no internet because they wouldn't put in a range extender. I finally talked them into letting us install our own and having them reimburse us each month. And, then there's the menu.. Not even close to what is described on the website! Five choices??? Try two! And those two are barely even able to be chewed and swallowed by a person with a full set a healthy teeth! Total joke! Most of it I wouldn't even feed my dog.

Then, factor in that everybody seems to have access to his room. He has had money stolen on several different occasions and staff even help themselves to snacks and soda in his refrigerator. He cannot drive so I get groceries for him. When he runs out, he is out until I bring more. These people are capable of driving and getting their own. So disgusting.

Sad thing is - he knows the other residents and likes living in the small town and is afraid to move. Plus the fact that, AFTER he moved in, they informed him there was a $1000 one time non-refundable move-in fee. (We never were told about this when we looked at the establishment.) This is what, I believe, they count on to keep the seniors living there. I don't know how these people can look at themselves in the mirror each morning. Another thing, they give the residents these lovely "life alert" buttons to push to contact the nurses if there's a problem. My dad took a nasty fall a year ago. He pushed and pushed and pushed his button. It took them 30 minutes to respond. Thank God it wasn't a heart attack!

Brookdale Senior Living Company Information