2. Elder Care
  3. Assisted Living

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.59/5

Need a medical alert system?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Today we visited a good friend who is a resident at Brookdale Beckett Meadows Senior Home. When we arrived and entered her room she was upset and asked for help. We immediately went to the front desk to request a staff that could help her but could not find ANYONE and we were in the main area of the home. We knocked on the business offices in the facility but no one was there. We also used the call button from our friend's room to get help but also got no response. We then called the facility from our cell phone and we were able to reach someone who said they were all in the cafeteria.

*Note = while we were trying to find help we stopped one of the staff who was walking through the facility and asked her for help and were shocked by her response that she was "clocked out". She did not even ask what the problem was or the severity of it. Is this the type of person that should be working at a Senior Home??

When someone did come to our friend's room she informed us it was her first day. She was very friendly - but not trained. My sister, with the help of the new girl were able to get our friend out of the bed so that she could go to the bathroom (which at this point was too late) so it was just a matter of cleaning her up. Due to the time it took to get someone to help her, she was upset and stressed out. She was also concerned about her oxygen tubes coming loose and said she could not breathe.

During this ordeal we noticed how dirty our friend was. Her skin, her hair, nails etc. It was very alarming and concerning that she is not getting the care and attention we were told she would get if she stayed at Brookdale. What would have happened if we HAD NOT SHOWN UP WHEN WE DID? When would someone at Brookdale answered her bell she rang numerous times BEFORE we walked into her room?? The biggest concern we have -- which we have many - is the lack of compassion and care the staff demonstrated today when we did finally get someone to come to her room.

We were also told, by her son, that no one in management works at the facility on the weekends so basically no one is there to assist when something happens to the residents that are staying there. If you are someone that has loved ones that are needing assisted care, I urge you to do your research and read the reviews on Brookdale Beckett Meadows before making a decision.

Sheree, Jerry and Connie **

Brookdale Senior Living response

Connie, we take this comment seriously and encourage you or your friend to reach out to our corporate management team at 855-717-5638. We would like the opportunity to learn more about your experience and discuss any concerns you all might have. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

It was a terrible experience, they immediately started dad on a laxative without our knowledge, and it was not needed. He got so weak and ended up in the hospital. They denied ever giving it to him, even though we had proof. They added $850 more a month for a two person lift, because he was so weak from their mistake! They would. To communicate with me or answer my phone calls, and were often untruthful. They drugged dad, with extra medications, without our knowledge or consent. When I questioned it, they never responded. Their hospice was a joke. I was never reimbursed for products even though Brookdale kept charging me. Their daily care was very lax and disappointing. We couldn’t get dad out of there quick enough! The new place took him off three medications and reduced the dose of a fourth, and he was so much better. And they are $2000 a month cheaper. Brookdale was a nightmare for dad and our family.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Holly, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. The care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we are aware the family has previously spoken with our regional and district clinical management teams. We have shared your comments with them and our corporate management team for their review. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Please do not consider this facility if your love ones cannot assist in taking care of themselves. If they need assistance in feeding themselves, bathing, putting clothes on or off, we discovered that most of the staff was not caring enough to reassure the family that they could/would keep our Mom safe or comfortable. The night shift was terrible; they were rude, condescending, and dismissive; and they were not held accountable when issues were brought to the attention of the managers. The managers were dismissive when we brought issues to their attention, and did not follow their own directives in notifying the family of falls or other medical issues. Their initial presentation to family to consider their facility was wonderful; but please don't believe that they can deliver. We are devastated that we considered and decided on this facility.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Sharon, we are sorry to hear you have concerns and we take them seriously. We are committed to providing quality care and services to our residents. This review has been shared with our corporate management team for their further review. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

This place is a joke. Don't take anything they say or their website says seriously. My father has lived there since 2015 and his rent has increased by 7% each year but isn't receiving any better care or services. The funny thing is - one person may be paying $3500/mo. while the person next door is paying $2500. It just depends on how much fuss you raise. He went for a year with no internet because they wouldn't put in a range extender. I finally talked them into letting us install our own and having them reimburse us each month. And, then there's the menu.. Not even close to what is described on the website! Five choices??? Try two! And those two are barely even able to be chewed and swallowed by a person with a full set a healthy teeth! Total joke! Most of it I wouldn't even feed my dog.

Then, factor in that everybody seems to have access to his room. He has had money stolen on several different occasions and staff even help themselves to snacks and soda in his refrigerator. He cannot drive so I get groceries for him. When he runs out, he is out until I bring more. These people are capable of driving and getting their own. So disgusting.

Sad thing is - he knows the other residents and likes living in the small town and is afraid to move. Plus the fact that, AFTER he moved in, they informed him there was a $1000 one time non-refundable move-in fee. (We never were told about this when we looked at the establishment.) This is what, I believe, they count on to keep the seniors living there. I don't know how these people can look at themselves in the mirror each morning. Another thing, they give the residents these lovely "life alert" buttons to push to contact the nurses if there's a problem. My dad took a nasty fall a year ago. He pushed and pushed and pushed his button. It took them 30 minutes to respond. Thank God it wasn't a heart attack!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

4 minutes ago-Edit. Please think twice before sending your loved ones to this facility! In July we went for a tour the staff were wonderful and said everything you wanted to hear. We moved our Father in the middle of July 2019. He is a vet. We were told there would be no issue with taking him for medical appointments. After he moved in we were told he can only go on Wednesday in the am so needless to say he missed many appointments. I waited a few days to visit him so he could orient. I went to see him and he didn't get his showers, moving boxes still all over the floor, trash all over the room and when I told the staff THEY WERE OFFENDED!!!

Our father has severe COPD. I explained that he has to walk a little every day for his lung health. He has a wheelchair that is used for appointments and so on. He was in it the whole time he was there!!! He has gone to the hospital about six times. The night staff told him they were not Doctors so what does he expect them to do for him!! He had to phone 911 himself for help. I guess if you're independent that's ok but if you need a little help WATCH OUT!!!!

After the community fee and the 4,190 a month rent a total of 18,760 and 4 months later he is now deceased due to immobility aggravating a severe lung issue. They forward all his mail to a family member without his knowledge, resulting in him not receiving his debit card. He couldn't order anything or even pay his cell phone. They didn't care about him. People please read all the reviews. This is not a isolated incident. Your loved ones are nothing more than a cash cow to Brookdale - BROOKDALE LIVERPOOL NY. PLEASE SHARE.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Claire, we take your comments seriously. The care and safety of our residents is out top priority and we are aware you have spoken with the management team previously. We have shared your comments with our corporate management team for their review. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookdale Senior Living?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Mother changed room in the end August, I returned all her keys to Pat the manager. She assured me she will get mom a key for her new mailbox. After several reminder still NO key 2 months later!!!! Since management has changed this summer it has taken multiple requests to get anything done!!!!

Brookdale Senior Living response

Henderson, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and take your comments seriously. We have shared this with our management team for their review and can confirm the resident was provided with 2 separate keys for the mailbox. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Please do not ever place your lovedd ones in this place's care. They will not give you anywhere near the service that they tell you when you tour the place. The care is extremely poor. My father-in-law fell and they called to tell me that I need not worry, he is ok and had no problems from the fall. Two weeks later he was rushed to the ER with shortness of breath and chest pain. The hospital found two broken ribs and pneumonia had set in. Never trust this place. He was there for 16 days and it cost us over $5000. Now they are trying to hit me with a $100 late fee. Do not trust anything they tell you.

Brookdale Senior Living response

William, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and take these comments seriously. The care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we take our residents and their responsible parties' wishes into consideration when providing care. We have shared this with our corporate management team for their review, and can confirm there is not a late fee that is due on this account. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

The ED (Cindy) at memory care is a joke. She is not qualified for her position. She is a bully to residents, family, and staff. The environment could be described as hostile. It is a miserable place to work. She does not let anyone do their jobs. She "oversees" everyone. (Mainly to do cover herself.)

Brookdale Senior Living response

Brook, we take these comments seriously and invite you to reach out to us to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: July 4, 2019

My loved one has been in this facility for a few years. I have seen many workers come and go including managers. I just found out they let the HWD go. I am stunned. She was the best thing this place has had for years. She was passionate, caring and treated everyone like they were family. I knew she would ensure my loved one was cared for. The new ED is something. She talks right through you, does not listen. It's easy to see she is about the all mighty dollar. Activities are far and between. With them removing the HWD, I think it's time to go. I have spoke to many families and they all feel the same.

Sussie,

We are sorry to hear you feel this way and would like the opportunity to learn more and discuss your concerns. We hope you will call our corporate office. Thank you.

Original review: May 14, 2019

My father in law moved in Brookdale Senior Living in Ennis Texas back in March of 2018 and was told the he was in a Medicaid room to his lawyer and to his son. He paid a considerable deposit and the fist months bill to move in. He paid about 50,000 out of pocket from March to December. Around Jan 2019 Brookdale raised his bill and never sent my husband a 30 day notice that they were changing his diet which would raise his rent over $200.

Around Feb 2019 we get a call from medicaid saying that they were going to start processing his medicaid so my husband went to talk to the new director Amanda and all the sudden hes not in a medicaid room and she says that they can't take care of him anymore and that he really needs to go into a nursing home. So that flip flops the whole process with the lawyer and we start searching for a nursing home. So we find a nursing home to take him and we moved him out before the first of May. Now we get a bill today for the first 10 days of May for over a $1000 dollars. How can a company charge someone for time they aren't even there. And supposedly the $2000 deposit doesn't go towards anything and we will still get a bill for the carpet. They Rob the elderly. Stay far away from this company. They are crooks.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Crystal, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. Brookdale has been in communication with the resident and their POA to discuss any concerns. We encourage you to reach out to the resident's responsible party to follow up on concerns you may have. Thank you.

Not sure about Brookdale Senior Living?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Assisted Living for you.

Brookdale Senior Living expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brookdale Senior Living Solutions is a publically traded company that operates more than 1,100 communities in 46 states. The company operates independent and assisted living communities, memory care facilities and skilled nursing facilities.

• Pricing options: Potential residents of Brookfield’s retirement communities can choose either a monthly rental plan, which requires no entry fee, or a LifeCare plan, which has both an entrance fee and a monthly fee and includes many health care costs.

• Optimum Life: Brookdale publishes Optimum Life, a magazine that features stories about Brookdale residents. The magazine is available for free on the company’s website.

• Wish of a Lifetime: Brookdale has partnered with Wish of a Lifetime, an organization that helps make seniors’ wishes and dreams come true. Through the partnership, more than 600 residents have had their wishes granted.

• Cost information: Interested consumers can visit Brookdale’s website for information about the cost of living in one of the company’s communities. The website provides clear cost information.

• CCRCs: The company has many Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC), which have multiple types of care options at a single location. When residents’ needs change, they can move between areas in the CCRC while remaining connected to the friends they’ve made there.

• Best for: Brookdale Senior Living Solutions has communities to accommodate the needs of most potential residents, including seniors, retirees and those needing long-term care.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team