Need a medical alert system?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.66/5

59 Brookdale Senior Living Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

The ED (Cindy) at memory care is a joke. She is not qualified for her position. She is a bully to residents, family, and staff. The environment could be described as hostile. It is a miserable place to work. She does not let anyone do their jobs. She "oversees" everyone. (Mainly to do cover herself.)

Brookdale Senior Living response

Brook, we take these comments seriously and invite you to reach out to us to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: July 4, 2019

My loved one has been in this facility for a few years. I have seen many workers come and go including managers. I just found out they let the HWD go. I am stunned. She was the best thing this place has had for years. She was passionate, caring and treated everyone like they were family. I knew she would ensure my loved one was cared for. The new ED is something. She talks right through you, does not listen. It's easy to see she is about the all mighty dollar. Activities are far and between. With them removing the HWD, I think it's time to go. I have spoke to many families and they all feel the same.

Sussie,

We are sorry to hear you feel this way and would like the opportunity to learn more and discuss your concerns. We hope you will call our corporate office. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2019

My father in law moved in Brookdale Senior Living in Ennis Texas back in March of 2018 and was told the he was in a Medicaid room to his lawyer and to his son. He paid a considerable deposit and the fist months bill to move in. He paid about 50,000 out of pocket from March to December. Around Jan 2019 Brookdale raised his bill and never sent my husband a 30 day notice that they were changing his diet which would raise his rent over $200.

Around Feb 2019 we get a call from medicaid saying that they were going to start processing his medicaid so my husband went to talk to the new director Amanda and all the sudden hes not in a medicaid room and she says that they can't take care of him anymore and that he really needs to go into a nursing home. So that flip flops the whole process with the lawyer and we start searching for a nursing home. So we find a nursing home to take him and we moved him out before the first of May. Now we get a bill today for the first 10 days of May for over a $1000 dollars. How can a company charge someone for time they aren't even there. And supposedly the $2000 deposit doesn't go towards anything and we will still get a bill for the carpet. They Rob the elderly. Stay far away from this company. They are crooks.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Crystal, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. Brookdale has been in communication with the resident and their POA to discuss any concerns. We encourage you to reach out to the resident's responsible party to follow up on concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My mother-in-law was a resident in Idaho. We thought the place was clean and welcoming and didn't have one bit of trouble until she entered the hospital for the last time in February. She was hospitalized or in a nursing home until she passed on 4/7/2019. During her stay in the nursing home she ran out of money and my husband signed her up for Medicaid. It wasn't until he notified Brookdale that she would be going on Medicaid that we had any trouble at all.

Apparently, Medicaid can only pay one place at a time. My husband went through a lawyer so that everything would be legal and the lawyer gave him paperwork to take to Brookdale so they would be sure to get paid but they refused it and said they don't do that. In March Brookdale told us to get her things out of her apartment because she wasn't able to pay her bill. My husband was her attorney in fact and tried to explain she ran out of money but they didn't care. Now, Brookdale says that he signed the paperwork so he is responsible for the bill and have turned us over to collection! We have obtained an attorney to try to straighten this mess out but overall I would avoid this place like the plague.

Marcy,

We are sorry to hear you feel this way and take your comments seriously. Unfortunately, this account is no longer with us and we encourage you to reach out to State Collection Agency to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Stay away from this place! This Assisted Living deserves a zero rating. Uncaring, unskilled staff. Where to begin, they will rob you of every dime possible and keep looking for reasons to jack up your bill. Then the so-called on-call nurse never comes into the facility in the evening, The ambulance is there numerous times per week. Gloves are not always worn, blood pressure is not monitored correctly and you will not find that out to your family member is in the ER.

My family member also contracted c-diff infection among other issues. Unsanitary. They do not offer special diets to Residents and they will not tell you that. If your family member is hospitalized they will not reimburse you for the fees they charge you for care that was never received. You will never get a straight answer from the staff and they change their stories and can't even get on the same page. If you don't have time to call five or six times per day and be there regularly you will never know what is going on.

I feel sorry for the residents who live there that don't have family members doing this. This is a horrible excuse of an assisted living facility. My family member had to pay extra for standby shower assistance yet when I called the apartment the aide who was supposed to be standing by and assisting answered the phone and she was left in the shower alone. Activities are minimal nothing of what they describe. Residents look miserable there. This is why the tours are scheduled. It's all a front. My family member was talked to and reprimanded like a child in her own apartment. Do your research. Also check the BBB website and numerous lawsuits.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Elaine, the care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we encourage you to reach out to our corporate team. We would like the opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookdale Senior Living?

Original review: April 20, 2019

In December dad was in rehab at another facility. I had to find another living facility for him as he had advanced Alzheimer’s. Brookdale assured me they could care for him. As POA I signed the paperwork on December 10th with the intention of moving in around the 15th. On Dec 12 my dad was found unresponsive and sent to the hospital where he spent a week in ICU before being transferred to an LTACH for two and a half weeks. When he was dismissed he was sent to a nursing home under hospice care. He passed 1 week after entering hospice care. Now Brookdale has turned me over to a debt collector in spite of many meetings and attempts to reason with these people. My dad never was a resident of the facility, never had any possessions moved into the facility and I was never even given a key. They were informed of the situation immediately.

Ann,

We are committed to providing quality care and services. We are sorry to hear you feel this way and have shared your comments with our corporate management team for their review. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My loved one lived at Brookdale for 4 years and during that time there were many problems from poor staffing, falls, bed sores and trips to the hospital. I saw employees walk right past a resident who is struggling in a hallway and not offer assistance. Employees are "assigned" to a unit and pay no attention to the other residents if not on their "assigned list". (WHERE IS THE CARE IN CARE-GIVING?)

When I would call the Director, she never returned my phone calls. I always had to call a second or third time. Besides the "base rate", The director has the authority to decide what to bill for personal care, so be very careful of their billing process. More than once I was able to review the care plan and have the bill reduced or a credit issued. The living expense at this facility for 2018 was $60,000! Room sizes are small and barely navigable for handicap equipment and wheelchairs. And if you want a room with any kind of a view...you'll pay for it. We lost our loved one in January 2019. Not one of the staff attended the funeral, sent a card, or made a donation to the Alzheimer's Association as they said they would. Their main goal is to fill every room and make a PROFIT!

Christine,

We take these comments seriously and have shared them with our corporate management team for their review. A member of our management team has attempted to reach out to you to discuss your concerns, and has left voicemails. We encourage you to reach out to them at the number provided on the voicemail to further discuss your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have lived in this roach infested dump for 2 years. I am leaving in 2 weeks. Management is nonexistent. The resident assistants are rude and hateful and do NOT like being bothered to help. This place needs to be closed permanently.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Sheryl, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. The care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we have shared your new comments with our corporate management team for their continued review. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This institution attempted to bill us an additional seven days after the belongings and remains of our mother were removed within 2 hours of her passing. Our mother was admitted on January 3, 2019 after 4:30 pm and passed away on January 6 about 11:20 am. There were no items that needed to be removed and the business office manager stated, "You did not remove items until Monday," which was not true. Our mother passed on January 6, 2019 and the logged was signed that we had vacated the premises at 1:30 pm on January 6, 2019.

Then I was informed that the state of Colorado allows one to two months for the refund. Also, that the 7 days where standard. How can you bill someone for 7 days when they are not in the facility and no items are left in the facility? We told that 7 days would be allowed to remove items and that the days would be prorated. On January 14, 2019 Angela the regional director stated we bill like the hospital and I informed her the hospital does not count the day of discharge. Why are seniors being financially exploited by these for-profit corporations?

Angela stated, "We treat you like everyone else," and I informed her that is not my agenda and that I do not care how others are treated that I am only concerned with this situation. We submitted a check for 6,788.00 and were initially told they would bill us for 11 days. Now they are charging us for 4 days instead of 3 days. Why do they take your money and you have to fight to receive a refund? They immediately cash the check but you are at their mercy for the refund.

Hi Doris,

We are sorry to hear you have some concerns and have shared your comments with our corporate management team. We are aware that you have spoken with our District Director of Operations and encourage you to continue to work with them to address your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We thought we had found the great place for our 96-year-old mother, but she didn't like the place and her emotions were tanking. The actual care is not that bad, but when we decided to take her out we ran into the fact they are very dishonest. We gave the required 30 day notice for leaving on the 3rd of September and she actually left on the 21st of the same month. However, at the beginning of October we were notified that she owed the full amount for that month as well - because the 30 day notice we gave ran 3 days past the first of the month. When we complained, they agreed to overlook it, but we were eventually charged a "late fee" of over $800 for the month - even though she didn't stay there one single day. We highly recommend that you stay away from this company because their number one goal is to take your money by whatever means they can! They are very dishonest!

Brookdale Senior Living response

John, we encourage you to call our corporate office at 877-400-5296. We would like the opportunity to learn more information and discuss these concerns with you. Thank you.

Brookdale Senior Living expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brookdale Senior Living Solutions is a publically traded company that operates more than 1,100 communities in 46 states. The company operates independent and assisted living communities, memory care facilities and skilled nursing facilities.

• Pricing options: Potential residents of Brookfield’s retirement communities can choose either a monthly rental plan, which requires no entry fee, or a LifeCare plan, which has both an entrance fee and a monthly fee and includes many health care costs.

• Optimum Life: Brookdale publishes Optimum Life, a magazine that features stories about Brookdale residents. The magazine is available for free on the company’s website.

• Wish of a Lifetime: Brookdale has partnered with Wish of a Lifetime, an organization that helps make seniors’ wishes and dreams come true. Through the partnership, more than 600 residents have had their wishes granted.

• Cost information: Interested consumers can visit Brookdale’s website for information about the cost of living in one of the company’s communities. The website provides clear cost information.

• CCRCs: The company has many Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC), which have multiple types of care options at a single location. When residents’ needs change, they can move between areas in the CCRC while remaining connected to the friends they’ve made there.

• Best for: Brookdale Senior Living Solutions has communities to accommodate the needs of most potential residents, including seniors, retirees and those needing long-term care.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs