2.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 14, 2018

30 Brookdale Senior Living Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 14, 2018

My wife was at Brookdale Memory Care in Central Oregon for 3 months. It was not a positive experience. Activities were minimal and poorly directed. The food was disgusting. I was told company policy was to offer two entree choices at meals. This never happened. I was told the Refresher program to supply warm washcloths at meals was policy. This never happened. I did not see that her sheets were ever changed by staff. (I pulled them myself, and made staff wash them). Common area bathroom was filthy for days. Complaints to admin were met with excuses and unkept promises. Reports of concerning behaviour were not credible or documented, or ever seen by me. (I visited her almost every day). I want to explore the possibility of expanding the class action lawsuit to my state including breach of contract. A bad choice on my part.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My husband's Mother had dementia and was in need of assisted living. We looked into Brookdale Senior Living of Davison, Michigan. It seemed clean, nice, professional, close to siblings so we put her in there. She was doing fine, we live 3 hours north so we visit her every 2-3 weeks. We received a call the Saturday after Thanksgiving that she had fallen and was found outside somewhere on the sidewalk. We asked if she was ok, they said she was fine, the staff doctor was in and checked on her and all was fine. We took their word for it and went down to check on her 2 weeks later and her face was black and her hand was black. We had been noticing that every time we went there, there were fewer and fewer staff members and residents. I asked Shirley (my Mother in law) about it, she said a new place had opened up in town and they were going there. Also, there never seemed to be any staff there.

After we got home, I called there to see if I could talk to the staff regarding her because she didn't seem to be all there. I was told that the Executive Director was no longer there and the RN was working from home. WHAT? How can a nurse of an assisted living facility work from home? I asked whom I was speaking to and he said he was a salesman? The RN called me the following day and said the man I talked to was wrong and or I had misunderstood him. Okay. We received a call saying that Shirley wasn't herself so they were sending her to the ER. I called my brother and he went to the hospital to check on her. She seemed pretty good, just more demented than usual, he left after. They said they had more tests to run and when they checked back the next day they said she was fine and they sent her home.

No, what they did was dropped her off at the nursing home unable to mobilize herself, in the middle of the night, without speaking to any staff at the assisted living facility, because there was none there. Brookdale called me the next day and said since Shirley was no longer able to be continent it would be another $1000.00 a month for her care. Well, we knew it would be more but knew something was up. The following Friday during a blizzard we drove down to Brookdale without a heads up and walked in on Shirley laying in her bed, feces all over the bathroom, her dirty pants on the floor, the room wreaked of urine and feces and dirty dishes sitting on her bed stand. They had told us that she was not mobile so we thought we could set her up in a wheelchair but there was not one to be found. When we realized that she did not know who we were, we called the ambulance.

I went into the office and there sat the RN and I said, "What about Shirley?" and she said, "Oh we were just getting ready to give her a bath." Really? The ambulance people got there and said what meds is she on and the RN blurted out, "Morphine." Really? For what? My Mother couldn't even lift her head, couldn't lift her arms or legs. The RN said she hadn't drank anything for 3 days and the same for food. The dirty dishes were because they were trying to get her to eat or drink. We took her to the hospital, they said she hasn't had a stroke like the in home doctor had previously said, she had blunt force trauma to the head causing a brain bleed, there was new and old blood on the brain and it was still bleeding, she also had a UTI and AFIB.

They couldn't get her to take the meds and she wouldn't let them put in an IV so they had to send her to ICU to calm down and when she did, they sent her to another Nursing home and soon to follow Hospice because she was dying. This was all within a week. She passed the following Friday. When we returned to Brookdale to get her items, the RN told us that they had a new Executive Director and we said, "So we get a refund for this month right? Knowing the condition we found her in", the RN said yes. During the cleaning of her room we found a Morphine pill in the candy dish. The nurse was like, "Why would that be?" "How would I know, You work here!" A few days after the funeral, we received a phone call from this so called new Executive Director and the RN on speaker phone and when asked about the refund, the RN said "I didn't say that, I didn't have the authorization to say that". "Really? Well that's what you told us."

Then I requested records from the assisted living facility and got an email from the ED stating they needed proof that I was the guardian. I sent it back stating you already have a copy of that. She said that it was from 2 years prior. I sent them proof of court and my mother appointed guardian, conservator and fiduciary and said, "Please send the records." She said she needed all that to make sure I was in charge of the estate and that I wasn't opening up a new estate??? I don't know what on earth that means but I was in charge of my mother and am now in charge of her affairs and they won't give us our money back and they neglected and as far as I'm concerned killed my mother!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 7, 2018

I worked at the Westlake Ohio office as a Clinical Manager. Absolutely the worst experience of my career. Unorganized understaffed, insane workload, unethical and unsafe practice directly causing neglect to patients. Patient admits were delayed for weeks due to staffing problems. I am so relieved to be out of this work environment. Until upper management and leaders like the CEO realize how terrible it is then I can see the company going under. They lost millions of dollars last year. Many unhappy employees left our office due to unsafe expectations. Nothing changed!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My dad has lived at Brookdale for at least 2 years. In the beginning I thought it was OK but after 1 year I decided that I wanted to get a detail breakdown of the personal service rate. I found out that my dad was getting charge for services that he did not need. I was surprised and upset. Also on top of all the food, activities, outings, and many other items was diminish to the minimum. On the other hand Brookdale has raised the price two times. The security on after hours is terrible. I would visit my dad after 8:00pm and no one was around or it was very hard to find someone. When I did find someone; I would ask “Who is in charge”. The response was “Well I guess I can handle it.” This was not answering my question. My dad is paying a lot of money and he is getting in return very little. Very Bad.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Brookdale is only concerned with money and not care of your loved one. My mother's room was rarely cleaned because they fired the housekeeping staff for budget reasons. The staff was cut and had a lot of turnover as well as lack of training to handle her dementia issues. Poorly managed. Did wellness assessments and then kept increasing the price per month but did not have the staff to provide the services they were charging us for. If you are going there, cross out the "arbitration" section so you can be part of the Class Action Lawsuit against Brookdale in Florida and California.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookdale Senior Living?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My mom lived at Brookdale for one year after coming out of rehab for breaking both hips. She was 92 yrs old at that time. She was so traumatized from the breaks that she was afraid to walk, so she stayed in her wheelchair. She also has mild dementia and is a proud woman having raised three girls by herself. Not a shrinking violet! Brookdale broke her! She was paying over $2000 a month for extra care with bathing, dressing, toileting and so forth. I found out that with the constant change in staff these services were not getting done.

She went from 124 to 92 pounds in one year. The place was not being cleaned with food all over the dining room floor and staircases that were never cleaned. Had to get mom out fast in order for her to survive. No caring about having to move her, had to pay for a month of no extra care and for a month of rent for an empty room. She is doing much better now, but I spoke with a few of the residents and heard the same complaints. Look for another place for your loved ones as Brookdale does no updates for resident safety, they just look at the bottom line, money.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I placed my mom in Brookdale after breaking her back. She had been in a skilled nursing facility before coming there. I unfortunately wasn't there when she was brought over, and she called me crying because no one would answer her call light. I was out of town and had to call the nursing supervisor to get someone to help her. This wouldn't be the first time. They also failed to clean her apartment on multiple occasions but still charged for it. The billing department is a nightmare. I wouldn't put my worst enemy in this place.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My Mother went to Brookdale Lohmans Crossing in Lakeway Tx. Not one person greeted her, although they were aware she was coming, a stranger showed her to her room. After pushing the call button several times and no one coming/responding, she made it on her own (there to recover from major stomach surgery). To the restroom. She had to pull the EMERGENCY cord and still not one person ever came! She was never given any type of bath whatsoever and her sheets/bedding was NEVER changed in 7 days/6 nights!!! Many types of infection could have occurred. Of course hard to walk and in pain, she eventually made it back to her bed alone. There were never bed rails on her bed as needed; although 3 different people told her 3 different times they'd bring them. She didn't receive any Medicine nor dinner that evening and never saw anyone until the following morning.

There are many complaints about all of the Brookdale facilities across the country online. I have sent a letter to Andrew Smith, CEO/President, and 52 copies to various people, government agencies and organizations, including Adult Protective Services and HHSC. I'm more than happy to send a copy to anyone requesting one, just let me know. This company Apparently is most concerned with money, not health care. They had a 4.6 billion revenue in 2016. Andrew Smith had a salary (according to salary.com) of $6,608,594 in total compensation. I am praying, for the sake of all PEOPLE in these establishments, someone puts a stop to their neglect and/or abuse of our elders. This treatment can lead to post-traumatic stress disorder and, even worse, early death from neglect of medications, uncleanliness, among other scenarios.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Do not put your family member in this facility. I have a long list of reasons why. Here goes, your family member will be neglected, I have the director on tape saying they are understaffed, and the staff is not properly trained to deal with memory issues. They have no accountability. No one knows if your loved one has eaten or showered. I have heard one care worker snapping at a resident for not remembering to stay out of the refrigerator as they were told to do the day before. These poor people cannot remember anything.

We have been called away from work on a daily basis to watch our family member. Told they had no staff to cover his care and we needed to get family and friends to cover shifts or because he was on Medicaid he would be forced to leave. This is a billion dollar company for a reason, they do bare minimum for high dollars and spend lots on great attorneys so they can get away with murder. Even if you get everything in writing they won't follow thru and it will cost you tons but it will be too late, so if you want your family member to be dirty, hungry, not get their required meds, and if you want to be lied to, and constantly get calls and threats choose this one.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have been living at Brookdale for about two years. In the beginning Brookdale was OK when I moved in. The two people that help me did just everything they can for me. Down the road things started to change. The first year was ok. I did almost all the activities. After one and a half it started to diminished. The food declined, doctor appointments was cut down from two days to one day for the transportation to doctors. Bingo who won prizes was cut down to candy. Activities, bus outing, family nights and other events was all cut.

The only thing that was not cut was getting new residents. New residents was Brookdale first priority. Management would promise just about anything. They would not say no. They would roll the red carpet. Unfortunately after a week management would change the priority from 1st to 3rd. The children or other people would be 2nd priority. Currently the food has diminish, meds are miss, and care overall has gone down. Very sad unfortunately what I said is true.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I am living in a Brookdale Facility in Oregon, and have been here almost 3 yrs. Gregg of AZ is correct when saying that Brookdale does not put anything in writing, therefore it never happened. There has been a class action suit filed in CA, in July of this year. We went for 5 weeks with NO housekeeping services in Apr/May this year. I have been told by our ED and his regional supervisor that there will be NO refund of money paid for NO service. Corporate headquarters totally ignored my 8 page letter and accompanying documents (61 pages).

Food here is terrible, and most of the time we don't get what was on the weekly menu. The menu on the table at each meal doesn't list what was on the menu, and what you get isn't either one of those. They stopped putting out a weekly menu, so I can't compare it to what we get. They do post a weekly list of food items, with no way of telling which meal they are for. It is printed so small, most people here can't see it. At one time I did receive an email from someone at headquarters. The email requested that I call them and "let's talk", no proof of conversation. It was 9 months after we moved in before we got a correct invoice, in spite of repeated input by the ED.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Terrible Service in Gilbert, AZ - My mother was there for six weeks while I had to advocate for her basic needs from the beginning. She was neglected and incurred severe bed sores from being left to sit alone in her room all day and not receiving any assistance to change her depends. I was lied to upon admitting her and lied to every time I had to ask for them to do their job. This place is terribly disorganized and most of the staff do not care. Items were stolen from my mother's room by a staff worker just before leaving and the new director didn't even follow up on it to get her items returned. This facility has a bad reputation in the area for mistreating their residents and neglecting their care.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Warning! Warning! Warning! Get everything in writing. The corporate culture at Brookdale seems to be lie and deceive at every opportunity. Tell people what they want to hear when questioned about inaccuracies, lie and deceive as much as you can but never put anything in writing. Handle all complaints over the phone so there is no paper trail. When people demand documentation, stop all communications.

This is what our family is being faced with today. My sister-in-law suffers from Alzheimer's, she lived in Texas and we decided that she would be better off if she lived closer to us here in the Tucson AZ area. We scheduled a number of appointments with local Alzheimer's facilities. We found a Brookdale facility in a very nice area. We met with the Executive Director and were given a price sheet so we would be able to compare them to other locations. The cost was in range we were looking for so we decided to go to the next step which was to have her evaluated by a Brookdale representative in the San Antonio, TX area. They agreed that the Alzheimer's/dementia facility we were interested in would be a good match. Within a month we had moved her into her new home or so we thought.

She was in that location less than 2 weeks before we were told that she would need more care than anticipated, but not to worry they had a Memory Care Facility less than 10 miles from where she was. The catch was that her new care was going to cost almost $1,800 per month more. This new cost was beyond the cost of care she could afford. We were told that Brookdale would honor the original costs for 12 months. We went back to the original contract costs and found that they had a higher amount than what we were prepared to pay and what we were quoted. Their explanation was that corporate had raised the rates but didn't provide their locations with the new pricing. After paying the deposit and rent for the first month we were billed in excess of $13,000 for her next month rent at her new place.

We were also told that there would be a personal care plan and were given a range of what that might entail. From that moment forward we never received a correct bill for her care. The Executive Director at the first location was fired or at least that what we were led to believe, based on their corporate culture she may very well been given a promotion and a raise for successfully doing what she was trained to do. Lie, lie and if questioned lie some more. After being lied to so often my wife started keeping meticulous records, keeping every e-mail about the cost and care for her sister.

This just became too much to handle and we decided that it was time to find another Alzheimer's care facility and move her out. We gave the appropriate notice and moved her to a brand new care facility in Casa Grande, AZ. Again, every bill we got from them was wrong and had my wife spending hours on end trying to clear it all up. We knew we didn't owe any money and hoped that moving her out was going to be the last time we would ever have to deal with them again. Well nice thought but far from the reality we faced.

For months we were getting past due billing notices, this caused my wife to spend even more time trying to settle up her account. When going over what we were charged she found that she was being charged the highest rate in the range for her personal care with absolutely no explanation. Our concerns were sent to the highest levels in their corporate structure that we could. We got a letter stating we had a credit, then sent check with no explanation, and shortly after another past due notice for the same amount of our credit and the check they sent us. We questioned this and were told over and over again that everything had been taken care of.

After everything my wife had to do and all of the time she spent trying to take care of this that just didn't seem like enough to me. During her sister's stay hundreds of dollars in clothes went missing, never to be returned even after she had labeled every single thing as per their requirements. The billing issues from the beginning turned out to be a daily issue my wife had to contend with and it eventually took its toll on her health. That's when I became involved, she just couldn't take it anymore. They are now ignoring my numerous calls asking for an e-mail address so all correspondence can be tracked and that a paper trail has been established. I have even asked to exercise my legal recourse of taking our case to arbitration.

It is not about the money, it is now about protecting others that may become victims. It is about reaching out to others who have gone through similar or worse treatment. I believe that there are many and want to expose them as the predatory thieves they are. If my elderly Mother had my Father in one of their facilities she would have just paid the bills because she could afford to do so. My question is how many like my Mother are out there, those who trust people to be honest and would never imagine that things like what we have gone through could happen to them.

I would love to see a Class Action Law Suit brought against Brookdale for their corrupt billing practices. They have more than 1,100 Senior Living Facilities across the country and bring in over a $1,000,000,000 in revenue, yes that's a BILLION. If they cheat just 3 people per month at each of their facilities for let's say $4,000 per month that comes out to over $13,000,000 per month times 12 months equals $158,400,000 per year. Nothing would make me happier than to see an ad on TV asking have you or a loved one been a victim of Brookdale Senior Living Solutions fraudulent billing practices.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

My wife was in Brookdale Mentor, Ohio for about 5 months. There were many problems that were unresolved. Sent to hospital 3 times in first three weeks because of medication issues. Patient not getting medication at the times it was suppose to be given. Patient getting out of facility and being found approximately 1/4-1/2 Mile away. Patient being scratched by caregiver twice (which I feel is lack of training). Putting caregivers in unit on weekends who do not even know the names of the patients. No activities on weekends. Patients are just set in front of TV. I have moved my wife to another facility where we have had no problems for about a month (the new place knows how to treat people with dementia). I would not recommend this place for someone you love and care about.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

The food was a determining factor when we decided to move her to Brookdale as she was thin and needed to eat more. We tried the food and were told that the variety would be there and the chefs were the best. The food wound up to be less than standard. ie. slice of pizza or egg salad sandwich and chicken and more chicken. She wound up losing weight and we had to supply decent food. Also the rent went up 1100.00 in one year. They took the community fee whatever that was and they sent us a bill for 500 for three days that it took us to move her out when she went into the hospital. Two days after I received that bill and two days after she died I was sent another bill with a 250 dollar late fee. They waive it after I called and told them to sue me but I was not paying a late fee. Not a good experience.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have been in the one in Panama City, Fl and listened to the administrators talk to the residents with such disrespect. April and Beth need to go. April took one resident's cats and Beth told patient, me and police officer April would get in touch with me to get. She never did. Then said she took to pound. Checked all pounds. Not there. Now says she gave to some man she didn't know. I would advise anyone not to put their loved one there. They make sure halls are cleaned but not residents' rooms. This resident was so upset she knocked over a whatnot cat and they called police on her. Can you believe that a frail woman? There is no compassion and empathy for the residents. I watched two men fight in the hall and they didn't call the police. Florida has little regulation on assisted living so they can pretty much get by with doing wherever they want. The people of Florida need to make them abide by same rules of nursing homes.

Original review: June 12, 2017

The most critical informational value is the quality of care and the quality of staff: there are outstanding staff with hearts that make it home to the other end of the spectrum where they put in their hours, who are bossy, bullies, crass, rude, spending most of their time talking it up with other staff and little or no time building relationships with residents, showboating when administrators, resident family and friends are around. I live in a place where I've been yelled at, cruel jokes played on me, and two faced staff. It's a real blessing when an authentic resident assistant has a true loving, compassionate and tender heart. I have constant anxiety, wondering who will be on duty. I pray our new administrator, who has heart and true compassion is successful in shepherding a transformation that matches and accedes their idyllic or writer's descriptions.

On a personal note, I am 70, IQ 145, post masters education, have several successful businesses, my own successful Radio show, appeared on many national network TV and radio shows, combat medic specialized in psychiatry, had many class AAA clients that I ghost wrote for, raising millions of dollars, and I get marginalized, treated as dumb and I live in one of the largest most "successful" assisted living organization facility.

Original review: May 20, 2017

My 90 year old ma has lived in a Brookdale Senior Living for 20 years. Her air conditioning broke this afternoon. They are telling me they "can't pay overtime for a tech to fix it." She pays a thousand bucks a month to them to take care of her and her home as in the contract. Just another company ripping off old folks. Yea, I'm pissed. What if it was your ma?

Original review: April 28, 2017

My now 94 year old mom has been in this facility since last two days of Sept. 2016. She only has one ear drum since losing her other at the age of 11 due to a tumor. At her home she put prescribed drops in each night, same for her glaucoma drops. Found out after taking her to get ENT Physician, not only were they never putting the drops in after they were given a illustration on how to administer, but she developed rocks in her ear that had to be removed weekly. Also infection so had to start taking the antibiotic, **. The eye drops were at times given but not on a set routine. All this being said, I'm asking for the funds we paid this joke of a facility and waive the 30 day notice, and get her out and to a facility here by my home and start over!

Original review: April 17, 2017

My dad stayed at Brookdale almost a year and was constantly bored. I visited at least once a week and talked to him daily on the phone. The food served was awful according to my dad. I ate there three times and I agree. They couldn't keep a cook. Other staff took over. Staff was overworked and seemed to change often. The bills were very confusing and overly high. Just for an example they charged extra to give my dad $900/month extra to bring his meds to him. If they did anything for him at all it was extra. I got bills from doctors every month, usually 3 or 4, that didn't say what the visit was for. I specifically told them if he needed a doctor I would take him to his doctor in his insurance plan. The only time I saw residents out of their rooms was at meal time. There was no game room or activities room. It was all for show. Brookdale is all about profit and no care. Looked nice at first but it was just a facade.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

After being acquired by Brookdale, the service at the Rohnert Park facility continues to decline. Those in assisted living are left in unclean surroundings; medicine not always delivered; very long time to respond to requests for aid.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

My mother has been living at Brookdale in Willoughby for the past 3 years and it has been a nightmare! First problem was with the staff not wanting to walk her and now it is with Management who says it is not safe to walk her even with another aid and the gait belt so I am VERY dissatisfied!!! I have been walking my mother with the aids for 3 years and a new Manager comes in and says it is not safe... They want to keep their residents from progressing and keep them helpless so they can increase the level of care!!! How horrible! They also tolerate insane residents abusing other residents and their family members. The service for the price is horrible and the stress is not worth it! I regret the day I placed my precious mother at Brookdale!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

It was pretty typical day in and day out. There was not much variety, so things got to be tedious some days depending on the activities. While they were the same activities daily, what was offered was good. There was a wide selection available. Needs some variety. I liked the value except it was on the pricier side of what I would have preferred. But you get what you pay for.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

I think with assisted living, one cannot expect the characteristic of variety to be objective. How much variety constitutes overall satisfaction truly depends on individual or familial expectations. For me, for us, it was enough. I think Brookdale assisted living facility had more than enough features to constitute a well managed, organized, well rounded and well accessible place for assisted living. I and my family were very well satisfied on a daily and continual basis. At Brookdale, I believe the insurance coverage acceptance policies were fair, broad and accommodating. I think it is a facility that caters to individuals of varying socio-economic status but more so it is an all encompassing facility that accepts any type of insurance.

Value like the characteristics of variety and the rate of satisfaction with an assisted living facility is extremely subjective. Therefore in my opinion, Brookdale met my and my family's expectations of what a quality assisted living facility should entail, encompass or deliver on a daily and continual basis for the amount of money being paid.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

My mother loved this place after her surgery. She was able to pick her arrangements and the staff were very knowledgeable. I'm so halt she experience such a great place. The place is very nice. The fitness rooms were amazing and the therapy routines were very prepared. The hot tub room was my mother's favorite. The insurance offers were reasonable. We wanted something suitable for my mother and they had an array of options to choose from. We loved it. The value was reasonable especially for the amount of care provided. My mother was quite happy with her casette there and that made us happy.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

The variety of care was outstanding. They had adaptability to meet all sorts of senior living needs from memory card, assisted living, and nice rooms as well. They had a lot of awesome features. The room were big and nicely decorated. The showers were handicap assembled. The bathrooms were large and manageable. They had nice insurance offers to choose from. I had a lot of options to choose from so I could get the kind of insurance features that I needed. The value of this solenoid living place was great. They are inexpensive and a great value for the price. This place is very affordable and I like it a lot.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I was offered an exceptional variety of residential options. From single living to living with a buddy. I needed assistance and they gave it to me. There were shower chairs, walkers, assistance with eating and bathing, excellent cooks and aides. It was amazing the features offered along with all of the help. The insurance package they helped me with included meals, assistance with daily living, and help to get to doctors appointments along with help remembering my medications. I feel so much better about myself with their daily encouragement and help. They strive to make residents have better self confidence. They have definitely added value to my life.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

There are a few options available to choose from. They are very flexible and are there because they truly love their jobs. They aren't there just for the paycheck which is noticeable and greatly appreciated. There are great features and amenities on site which is wonderful!! 24 hour security, beauty shop, pool, arts and crafts studio are just a few of my favorite features offered. There is so much to do there and never a dull moment. I don't know much about the insurance offerings because it wasn't something we needed so we opted out listening to the options. With that being said, I'm sure there are insurance offerings to suit everyone's needs. It is reasonably expensive but it is immaculate there. The friendly staff, clean and security make it worth every penny. Peace of mind is priceless... in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

They have many activities for a person to do. They have morning paper reads and physical activity every day. Great nursing staff that stays on top of it. I feel comfortable and secure using these services. They have days where they travel and days where they do aerobics, pool... they have tv nights and are very open to new activities. They treat us like family. They offer affordable insurance that does not break the bank... easy, flexible option to pay and covers anything necessary. Definitely leaders in that area. Compared to some of the other ones out there they are extremely affordable and worth the extra buck. This is a mandatory service for our family and I feel confident being in that facility.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

The variety of residential options gave us a lot of thought in what is the best option to choose. We weren't relegated to just one option. By having more options we were able to weigh the pros and cons in a more thoughtful manner. The extra features allowed a variety of ways we could be comfortable with the service. It allowed better benefits in everyday living and made it easier for everyone involved on a daily basis. The multiple insurance offerings allowed us to choose the best one in our current situation. By having a variety of options we were able to thoroughly discuss which worked and which didn't work for us. I can honestly say that value was very important and we were very satisfied with what was offered. Even in the chance we would be in any financial problems, the service allowed enough flexibility to be affordable while maintaining the same top quality.

Brookdale Senior Living expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brookdale Senior Living Solutions is a publically traded company that operates more than 1,100 communities in 46 states. The company operates independent and assisted living communities, memory care facilities and skilled nursing facilities.

• Pricing options: Potential residents of Brookfield’s retirement communities can choose either a monthly rental plan, which requires no entry fee, or a LifeCare plan, which has both an entrance fee and a monthly fee and includes many health care costs.

• Optimum Life: Brookdale publishes Optimum Life, a magazine that features stories about Brookdale residents. The magazine is available for free on the company’s website.

• Wish of a Lifetime: Brookdale has partnered with Wish of a Lifetime, an organization that helps make seniors’ wishes and dreams come true. Through the partnership, more than 600 residents have had their wishes granted.

• Cost information: Interested consumers can visit Brookdale’s website for information about the cost of living in one of the company’s communities. The website provides clear cost information.

• CCRCs: The company has many Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC), which have multiple types of care options at a single location. When residents’ needs change, they can move between areas in the CCRC while remaining connected to the friends they’ve made there.

• Best for: Brookdale Senior Living Solutions has communities to accommodate the needs of most potential residents, including seniors, retirees and those needing long-term care.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs