1.68/5

57 Brookdale Senior Living Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

My father in law moved in Brookdale Senior Living in Ennis Texas back in March of 2018 and was told the he was in a Medicaid room to his lawyer and to his son. He paid a considerable deposit and the fist months bill to move in. He paid about 50,000 out of pocket from March to December. Around Jan 2019 Brookdale raised his bill and never sent my husband a 30 day notice that they were changing his diet which would raise his rent over $200.

Around Feb 2019 we get a call from medicaid saying that they were going to start processing his medicaid so my husband went to talk to the new director Amanda and all the sudden hes not in a medicaid room and she says that they can't take care of him anymore and that he really needs to go into a nursing home. So that flip flops the whole process with the lawyer and we start searching for a nursing home. So we find a nursing home to take him and we moved him out before the first of May. Now we get a bill today for the first 10 days of May for over a $1000 dollars. How can a company charge someone for time they aren't even there. And supposedly the $2000 deposit doesn't go towards anything and we will still get a bill for the carpet. They Rob the elderly. Stay far away from this company. They are crooks.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Crystal, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. Brookdale has been in communication with the resident and their POA to discuss any concerns. We encourage you to reach out to the resident's responsible party to follow up on concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My mother-in-law was a resident in Idaho. We thought the place was clean and welcoming and didn't have one bit of trouble until she entered the hospital for the last time in February. She was hospitalized or in a nursing home until she passed on 4/7/2019. During her stay in the nursing home she ran out of money and my husband signed her up for Medicaid. It wasn't until he notified Brookdale that she would be going on Medicaid that we had any trouble at all.

Apparently, Medicaid can only pay one place at a time. My husband went through a lawyer so that everything would be legal and the lawyer gave him paperwork to take to Brookdale so they would be sure to get paid but they refused it and said they don't do that. In March Brookdale told us to get her things out of her apartment because she wasn't able to pay her bill. My husband was her attorney in fact and tried to explain she ran out of money but they didn't care. Now, Brookdale says that he signed the paperwork so he is responsible for the bill and have turned us over to collection! We have obtained an attorney to try to straighten this mess out but overall I would avoid this place like the plague.

Marcy,

We are sorry to hear you feel this way and take your comments seriously. Unfortunately, this account is no longer with us and we encourage you to reach out to State Collection Agency to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Stay away from this place! This Assisted Living deserves a zero rating. Uncaring, unskilled staff. Where to begin, they will rob you of every dime possible and keep looking for reasons to jack up your bill. Then the so-called on-call nurse never comes into the facility in the evening, The ambulance is there numerous times per week. Gloves are not always worn, blood pressure is not monitored correctly and you will not find that out to your family member is in the ER.

My family member also contracted c-diff infection among other issues. Unsanitary. They do not offer special diets to Residents and they will not tell you that. If your family member is hospitalized they will not reimburse you for the fees they charge you for care that was never received. You will never get a straight answer from the staff and they change their stories and can't even get on the same page. If you don't have time to call five or six times per day and be there regularly you will never know what is going on.

I feel sorry for the residents who live there that don't have family members doing this. This is a horrible excuse of an assisted living facility. My family member had to pay extra for standby shower assistance yet when I called the apartment the aide who was supposed to be standing by and assisting answered the phone and she was left in the shower alone. Activities are minimal nothing of what they describe. Residents look miserable there. This is why the tours are scheduled. It's all a front. My family member was talked to and reprimanded like a child in her own apartment. Do your research. Also check the BBB website and numerous lawsuits.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Elaine, the care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we encourage you to reach out to our corporate team. We would like the opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: April 20, 2019

In December dad was in rehab at another facility. I had to find another living facility for him as he had advanced Alzheimer’s. Brookdale assured me they could care for him. As POA I signed the paperwork on December 10th with the intention of moving in around the 15th. On Dec 12 my dad was found unresponsive and sent to the hospital where he spent a week in ICU before being transferred to an LTACH for two and a half weeks. When he was dismissed he was sent to a nursing home under hospice care. He passed 1 week after entering hospice care. Now Brookdale has turned me over to a debt collector in spite of many meetings and attempts to reason with these people. My dad never was a resident of the facility, never had any possessions moved into the facility and I was never even given a key. They were informed of the situation immediately.

Ann,

We are committed to providing quality care and services. We are sorry to hear you feel this way and have shared your comments with our corporate management team for their review. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My loved one lived at Brookdale for 4 years and during that time there were many problems from poor staffing, falls, bed sores and trips to the hospital. I saw employees walk right past a resident who is struggling in a hallway and not offer assistance. Employees are "assigned" to a unit and pay no attention to the other residents if not on their "assigned list". (WHERE IS THE CARE IN CARE-GIVING?)

When I would call the Director, she never returned my phone calls. I always had to call a second or third time. Besides the "base rate", The director has the authority to decide what to bill for personal care, so be very careful of their billing process. More than once I was able to review the care plan and have the bill reduced or a credit issued. The living expense at this facility for 2018 was $60,000! Room sizes are small and barely navigable for handicap equipment and wheelchairs. And if you want a room with any kind of a view...you'll pay for it. We lost our loved one in January 2019. Not one of the staff attended the funeral, sent a card, or made a donation to the Alzheimer's Association as they said they would. Their main goal is to fill every room and make a PROFIT!

Christine,

We take these comments seriously and have shared them with our corporate management team for their review. A member of our management team has attempted to reach out to you to discuss your concerns, and has left voicemails. We encourage you to reach out to them at the number provided on the voicemail to further discuss your concerns. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookdale Senior Living?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have lived in this roach infested dump for 2 years. I am leaving in 2 weeks. Management is nonexistent. The resident assistants are rude and hateful and do NOT like being bothered to help. This place needs to be closed permanently.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Sheryl, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. The care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we have shared your new comments with our corporate management team for their continued review. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

This institution attempted to bill us an additional seven days after the belongings and remains of our mother were removed within 2 hours of her passing. Our mother was admitted on January 3, 2019 after 4:30 pm and passed away on January 6 about 11:20 am. There were no items that needed to be removed and the business office manager stated, "You did not remove items until Monday," which was not true. Our mother passed on January 6, 2019 and the logged was signed that we had vacated the premises at 1:30 pm on January 6, 2019.

Then I was informed that the state of Colorado allows one to two months for the refund. Also, that the 7 days where standard. How can you bill someone for 7 days when they are not in the facility and no items are left in the facility? We told that 7 days would be allowed to remove items and that the days would be prorated. On January 14, 2019 Angela the regional director stated we bill like the hospital and I informed her the hospital does not count the day of discharge. Why are seniors being financially exploited by these for-profit corporations?

Angela stated, "We treat you like everyone else," and I informed her that is not my agenda and that I do not care how others are treated that I am only concerned with this situation. We submitted a check for 6,788.00 and were initially told they would bill us for 11 days. Now they are charging us for 4 days instead of 3 days. Why do they take your money and you have to fight to receive a refund? They immediately cash the check but you are at their mercy for the refund.

Hi Doris,

We are sorry to hear you have some concerns and have shared your comments with our corporate management team. We are aware that you have spoken with our District Director of Operations and encourage you to continue to work with them to address your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We thought we had found the great place for our 96-year-old mother, but she didn't like the place and her emotions were tanking. The actual care is not that bad, but when we decided to take her out we ran into the fact they are very dishonest. We gave the required 30 day notice for leaving on the 3rd of September and she actually left on the 21st of the same month. However, at the beginning of October we were notified that she owed the full amount for that month as well - because the 30 day notice we gave ran 3 days past the first of the month. When we complained, they agreed to overlook it, but we were eventually charged a "late fee" of over $800 for the month - even though she didn't stay there one single day. We highly recommend that you stay away from this company because their number one goal is to take your money by whatever means they can! They are very dishonest!

Brookdale Senior Living response

John, we encourage you to call our corporate office at 877-400-5296. We would like the opportunity to learn more information and discuss these concerns with you. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Turnover is very high. They NEVER take residents out (like I was told on move in). Turnover is extremely high. They never take ownership of any problem. Rather they attempt to blame it on the family. The response they put on this comments is corporate rhetoric. They appear to have a script which they simply cut and paste. Please DO NOT respond to this post with your condescending rhetoric. Do NOT insult my intelligence.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Staff turnover is a problem. Nice people, but they cut their hours and overwork them. My mother can’t consistently get bathed and is charged for services not received. She’s been waiting for credit back for three months. They also ‘sold her’ on receiving VA benefits from my deceased father. They have a connection with a high-priced attorney who hasn’t delivered on the promise. Advice: don’t allow them to auto deduct the rent. You’ll never get paid back for over-charges and services not rendered.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Donna, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and take your comments seriously. Please reach out to our Resident and Family Connection team at 877-400-5296 to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My mother is 82 with moderate to severe dementia. She also has lymphedema from a prior cervical cancer surgery she had in her 60’s. It is a permanent condition that just needs maintenance to keep it in check. When I called Brookdale, they assured me they could take care of this and would be glad for me to show them my method. The staff RN even came out to our home to assess her and had me remove the compression wraps so she could see the condition of Mom’s lower leg. At no point was I told, “We don’t do this, you would need to bring in a professional for this, etc.” UNTIL I actually moved her in. Then the games began. “No, we don’t do THAT because it’s MEDICAL." What?!?!?! Yes, they refused to compression wrap her even though I have been doing it for years and I am not a certified professional, I was taught by one! It is NOT rocket science.

So, after losing my mind trying to find these unicorns that know and treat this condition, (I have to pay more $$ out of pocket now for this) Brookdale is telling me now they don’t want to do the simple velcro wraps that I use between having her in compression which allows her to take a shower, keep an eye on skin condition, etc. This takes no more than a 20 to 25 minutes at best and no more than 8 days max in a month, and they are whining about that now!

I spoke about my frustrations with the administrator and he insinuated I imagined the sales gal telling me they agreed to help care for her leg if I showed them. That infuriated me! I would have never even shown up if they said they would not help with this chronic condition of hers! I finally got him to agree to do the velcro wraps if I got someone to do the compression. Now they are trying to rescind that! They don’t want to do anything more than they absolutely have to and just babysit these mentally compromised adults.

Mom is able to walk on her own, shower herself, dress herself, feed herself, and 3 months later I am still getting calls from them that they don’t want to do this as it takes more time than THEY want to spend on her. I say bull excrement! I WAS a certified caregiver and bathed, dressed, transferred, fed elderly folks and it all took a heck of a lot longer than a half an hour! So, you are to pay thousands a month, (for a shared room mind you) and the care is minimal at best.

I feel like a sucker that was drawn in by all their courting and family like atmosphere, now to have them turn on me when I have the audacity to get upset and call them out on their lies. If you do bring your parent here, get EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING in writing regarding their care. Do NOT sign the waiver saying you will work with them first on any issues instead of your attorney, I tried that and was treated like I was inconveniencing HIM and my complaint was a falsehood in my imagination. Downright insulting!

It is very traumatic moving a parent with dementia and now she is finally adjusting and I feel like they are trying to drive her out of there by refusing the care they initially agreed to. This has been an absolute stressful nightmare. I DREAD going to see her now. I DREAD when I see they are calling me, the thought is... “Oh God, now what?? ?” This is just not right. After 5 long years being the sole caregiver for my Mom, burnt out beyond belief and they have turned this into an unnecessary, ongoing nightmare.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Rainey, the care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we encourage you to call our corporate Resident and Family Connection team at 877-400-5296 to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Updated on 04/08/2019: Update to my post about Brookdale Towson. My father continues to remain on Hospice for over 16 months here, and has no idea why. He broke a hip 2 Christmases ago and has been bedridden with no attempts to get him in a chair or range of motion. He is in a memory care lockdown unit, but his memory is intact and quite good for a man of 87. I am a registered nurse and evaluating orientation is part of my job. Somehow he keeps getting certified by the doctor to be on hospice and in memory care. On my last visit when I asked how my family can be in contact with him, I was told to talk to the POA, who doesn’t talk to us (see below). I also asked about the reason for Hospice. Same answer.

The charge RN demanded I speak to her in the hall. I said she could speak to me in my dad’s room (I wasn’t going to be lectured in the hallway like a child and told to talk to the POA again). She said if I didn’t leave she would call the police. I live over 200 miles away. I said, "Go ahead and call the police." My thought what a waste of police resources in the City of Baltimore. My two young adult children who were home on winter break said, "We better leave mom and grandpa is looking upset." So the police came as we were leaving.

So today, on the way home from a funeral in Virginia I thought I would drive 1.5 hours out of my way to see dad. My daughter was with me. It was Sunday afternoon. They refused to allow us see my father who is still in a lockdown unit. They said the police were involved last time, so I could only see him weekdays (they wanted the police involved so they would be able to refer to it later I guess). I said that wouldn’t work for me and I was here now. They said I was sent a letter about this, and I have received no such letter.

They said I would have to talk to the POA (they always fall back to this) and I said ok, call him, because we aren’t able to travel here that often. They said no, they had already talked to the manager and she said no. I asked if my 20 year old daughter could at least go see him and say hi. They said no. I said at least can you tell my dad we were here. Which I doubt they did. He would have loved to have seen his granddaughter. What a shame.

They keep this POA excuse up and I agree with another poster that are happy to collect the money and throw the problem on the family. And they make rules up as they go along. I know I have challenged Brookdale on their mismanagement of my parents' healthcare and they have a bone to pick with me, but they didn’t say they sent my daughter a letter and she was never told she couldn’t see her grandfather. Since when does an elderly man who is alert and oriented and able to visit with his grandchildren, have no say in even this aspect of his lonely life in lockdown. She even said the POA's two daughters are allowed to visit and she’s not. These people are the worst.

Original Review: Update on my parents at Brookdale Towson. My mother passed in late June from “pneumonia”, never having left her bed and no attempts to get her upright in a Gerry chair in 7 months. I imagine if she didn't feel like getting up, no attempts were made. They told me she developed low blood pressure and they wouldn't get her up and even that they didn't have a gerrychair. That's what happens when you lay in bed all day! She was not treated for it. Of course she would die from pneumonia or delirium. My family and I were not told she was dying or dead until I received a text that she was dead from the POA.

My dad is likewise in a bed at Brookdale for 10 months, where no attempts at range of motion or sitting him in a Gerry chair have ever been made. He is on a pureed diet and when I visited tells me immediately to throw it in the trash. He will he will eat with no problem food I bring from a nearby grocery store. They tell me pureed are doctors orders and refuse my request to have him reevaluted. He's gone from a 200 lb man to about 80 lbs while living at Brookdale. He mostly just has Ensure. I live 250 miles away. To maintain communication with my dad, including his grown grandchildren, one of my tech savvy kids set up an Amazon Echo show to talk to him as the POA did not provide him with a phone and the staff does not let help him and said they do not have a phone for him to use.

For 5 weeks we could check in and have short conversations and it reassured us about his condition and alleviated his long lonely days of lying and bed with only the company of CNN. He appeared delighted and when he saw me, immediately would say “hey Cathy” and we would talk a few minutes. He also enjoyed playing Elvis, Johnny Cash and listening to jokes. Then one day it went dark. I then received an e-mail stating they had removed the device from his room and I had to fill out an form I would never sue Brookdale and they would refer it to corporate and if approved I could leave video on but no audio. My brother, the recent POA (after he changed it from me), said I put the device in the room knowing it was illegal. The POA has failed to maintain contact with anyone in my family and is the only person my dad has contact with as he lives 2 miles from Brookdale.

I never ran across any information that Alexa’s were illegal and in fact read some PCH were piloting them for the exact reasons I mentioned. The policy of forbidding them is clearly a Brookdale made up policy. I called a number of state agencies which were useless, including the Ombudsman who won’t do anything unless the resident is actively complaining, and obviously they are not going to in their deconditioned and dependent state. I would like to find out about any advocacy groups or media or anyone that can help me shine a light on the ridiculous policy of Brookdale’s. Isolating seniors should not be their mission. Shameful. Everyone I talk to says can’t you do something about it, and I am trying to, but government agencies are not helpful and uninformed.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Cathy, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. Brookdale is committed to providing quality care and services to our residents and work closely with them and their Responsible Parties/POA's to achieve this. We encourage you to continue to work with the POA to discuss your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

All of the negative reviews are spot on. Brookdale cares only about profit and little about residents. My mother was in their memory care facility and got assaulted by another resident multiple times. They tried to kick my mom out. We couldn't move her right away because we didn't have other good options. We tried talking to the ED, the corporate office and nothing. They wouldn't make commonsensical changes to keep her safe. They are terrible!

Brookdale Senior Living response

A.K. The care and safety of our residents is our top priority. We are sorry to hear you feel this way and have shared these comments with our corporate management team for their review. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I've had extensive experience with this facility. They offer Assisted Living, two levels of Dementia Care and skilled nursing (including short term rehab care) and NOW they say they are a CRCC (which I dispute). My aunt lived here from 2013 to 2015, in Assisted Living and it was a weekly nightmare of problems culminating in a massive building-wide BEDBUG INFESTATION towards the end...which the facility denied, even to staff and families (presumably to keep people from moving out or suing!). Finally when I reported this to state authorities...they were forced to fumigate the whole building at what I assume was a great cost.

Unfortunately...my aunt had to live through 6 months of unsanitary conditions and toxic spraying for bedbugs (ineffective!) plus being uprooted from her room for weeks during fumigation (finally!)...only for her to fall ill and die before she could return to the cleaned facility. Sadly...there is no record of this but word of mouth. No way to look this up! Most of the staff has turned over since 2015 and the upper management has all fled for greener pastures. I may be the only person left, who is not compromised by memory or old age who has experienced this and has full knowledge of what they did! Since then, I have returned on a regular basis to visit some of my aunt's friends -- only one is still alive and she is 95 with dementia. She was moved to the dementia unit this year (Clare Bridge Crossings) this past spring (2018) from Assisted Living.

Frankly, I am shocked at how this facility has gone downhill just in 3 years time! Or just how bad, how inhumane the dementia care is. I regularly see violations of just basic human decency -- sanitation, cleanliness, access to things like health care or housekeeping or even a PHONE. Residents are virtual prisoners, locked-in (even with no history of wandering away). The food is so bad, I would not feed it to my dog.

While residents who are mentally OK in Assisted Living can and do complain...dementia patients, even early stage, have no ability to do so. And not all families can or will do anything. Some are secretly glad to be able to "granny dump". Some are just helpless to assist -- and terrified if they complain...the facility will "get even" with them or the resident. Some residents HAVE no family, or only relatives as old and helpless as they are!

I was threatened back in 2014, that if I kept complaining (about bad food, neglect, etc.)...they would evict my aunt, and then "I would have to care for her in my own home!" In trying, politely, to bring attention to the poor conditions of my 95 yr old friend in the Dementia unit...it's been broadly hinted they will ban me from visiting her there. BANNING VISITORS! Space here is not remotely enough to address every issue, but things I warn others contemplating Brookdale to watch out for:

1. The pricing is deceptive -- they lard on extras. One is "medication management". This can add $900 a month to the "rent". They won't let even AL residents with no dementia take so much as a vitamin on their own. 2. They restrict residents from activities such as leaving the buildings, trips, etc -- they are forbidden even to go to walks around the immediate area or shopping! and I mean regular residents with no mental problems. Many such folks have NO IDEA they have signed themselves into such a restrictive environment.

3. Brookdale lies (and lies and lies) about things like activities...bus trips...entertainment. They put things on the website or sign-up sheets, but half or more of the so-called activities never occur. When my aunt was there...the ONE MINI-BUS (for over 100 residents) was broken almost the whole time. Even access to transport to one's doctor visits is very restricted. 4. Staff is extremely rude and evasive, so even reporting problems is useless. I reported burned out light bulbs, and it took FIVE WEEKS for a maintenance man to appear to replace them. 5. Housekeeping (general cleaning) was OK in 2015 (except for a massive bedbug infestation!!! which they hid from staff and families!) but at least in the Clare Bridge Crossings unit is today sadly lacking. It is not clean, and laundry, bed changing, room odors are not addressed regularly. At times, it stinks so bad I felt like fainting.

6. They are badly understaffed and it is often hard to find staff. It is typical to find a living room lounge filled with residents staring at TV set -- sometimes not even a program, just to one of those "upcoming features" channels. The TV set in Clare Bridge Crossings is very small and hard to see for me -- and I have 20/20 vision. 7. I see residents all the time in dirty clothing, even soiled with feces...or the same clothing day after day. I've monitors the bed linens in my friend's suite, and noticed they were not changed once over a 6 week period -- and the sheets themselves were ragged and had holes in them. Some residents actually smell bad, a sign they are not being showered regularly.

8. The food is horrible here -- inexcusably so. Despite resident's complaints in Assisted Living (again, residents with good mental faculties still)...nothing was ever changed nor improved. Food is low quality, tough meats and gloppy noodles and canned veggies. It is impossible, for example, to get a snack or even cup of coffee at resident's request. There are menus, but I have visited at meal times only to hear the aides tell residents "we are out of everything but one entree and hot dogs". (HOT DOGS!) Desserts are typically dry pound cake from a package. The worst: if you order a "fruit plate"...even in summer!...you get a mass of cottage cheese swimming in canned fruit cocktail. Gross. As a result, most residents eat poorly and many plates go back to the kitchen uneaten. I can't believe this is not monitored! I have also witnessed residents seated at meals and FORGOTTEN, getting no food.

And this was in Assisted Living. It is much worse in the dementia unit, as the residents have no ability to speak up or complain, or actively source food of their own. PLEASE do not put your family member or god forbid, yourself into this facility! Read the comments! Most are one-star reviews and say "we wish we could rate this negative 5 stars!"

Brookdale Senior Living response

Lola, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and take your comments seriously. We encourage you to reach out to our corporate Resident and Family Connection team at 877-400-5296 to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

If you do not want your loved one's condition to worsen or to die do not place them in this facility! I placed my father in law who has Alzheimer's in this facility for a two-week respite care so that my wife and I who have been taking care of him for the past 12 years could have a little break. However during the first 7 days of his stay there we found him several times sitting in his own BM, filthy clothes, once with no undergarment under his clothes. Finally on the 7th day we discovered that he had developed 2 bedsores on his buttocks due to sitting for hours in his own BM.

He had never had any bedsores or any skin problems previously. After several times of notifying management about our concerns we only received one phone call as follow-up and that was to falsely tell us that he had been cleaned when he had not been as evidenced that he was in the same clothing we admitted him with and all his other clothes were untouched in the closet that I put them in.

To demonstrate that my father in law's horrible and careless treatment was not an isolated incident, one day we observed a pile of feces in one of the hallways with only a yellow "caution" sign near it instead of cleaning it up immediately, we observed a patient who had fallen on the floor and no staff was around to help her up or prevent the fall as the entire staff was in a meeting leaving the residents alone to fend for themselves, also at one point when ringing the call button or phone to enter the place a dementia resident kept answering the call button for several minutes. When a staffer finally came to the door she admitted they were all in a meeting and a resident was answering the call button.

Finally, as we knew if we kept him in that place my father in law would deteriorate even more than he already had in those 7 days and we took him out of there. We immediately took him to a dr. who diagnosed that he had indeed developed state 2 pressure ulcers and referred us to a wound care clinic as the sores were that severe.

Instead of providing us with a relief or respite from caring for our loved one Brookdale Meridian staff have caused him harm and increased the stress and care in providing care for my father in law. DO NOT PLACE ANYONE YOU LOVE IN THIS PLACE IF YOU CARE ABOUT THEIR WELL BEING! My family wishes we had never placed my father in law in this facility due to the incompetent, negligent, and careless treatment he received. This all occurred from Sept. 17, 2018 to Sept. 25, 2018.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Joseph, the care and safety of our residents is our top priority and we take your comments seriously. We would like the opportunity to speak with you and discuss any concerns you may have. We hope you will call us at 877-400-5296. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had to quickly my mother due to mental illness... Brookdale said I had to give 60 days notice. Obviously they have never dealt with an 82 year old with mental illness. They have now sent debt collectors after my mom for 2 month's rent. Guess they want to drag an 82 year old in front of a judge. How sad...

Brookdale Senior Living response

Diane, we are committed to providing quality care and services to our residents. We encourage you to reach out to our corporate Resident and Family Connection team at 877-400-5296 to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

5 stars to the facility my mother was in, yet 3 stars for the company itself. Payment is expected on the first of the month, with a $250 late fee, and here comes the "yet", a 60-90 day wait to receive any money THEY owe YOU. And I seriously doubt that there will be a bonus. If I could, I'd give the particular facility I worked with higher than just 5 stars.

Brookdale Senior Living response

James, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and encourage you to reach out to our corporate Resident and Family Connection Team at 877-400-5296 so that we may learn more and discuss your concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I had my mom at Brookdale for 10 yrs, experiencing change in names and staff. On the 2nd and 3rd turnover of mgmt. staff the inexperience and unprofessionable became seriously noticeable. Weekly several valuable items were missing and was reported to mgmt. staff with no resolution. I had my mom in hospice thru JourneyCare (they were exceptional). She had passed away and I was called by a Brookdale staffing nurse to tell me my mom was resting comfortably when she had already passed away. In other words they never went to check on her when they knew she was sick and only had a short time to live. When the site director came to me to express her condolences, it took every bit of energy I had left not to lunge at her about my serious concerns I had expressed thru the years. DO NOT PUT YOUR LOVED ONES AT BROOKDALE.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Linda, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. The care and safety of our residents is our top priority. We have shared your comments with our management team for their review, and encourage you to reach out to our corporate team at 877-400-5296 to discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had been trying to get my aunt here so would be close to me because she is heavy. I was told they can't accept her. This is discrimination because she has a weight issue. I will be contacting the city and federal government for this violation of her rights!!!

Brookdale Senior Living response

Michele, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and take your comments seriously. We have shared your comments with our management team for their review. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Horrible place! Look anywhere else! Don’t let them fool you. Food makes many people sick. The worst was today when a staff member when asked to get help for an elderly sick patient, who was saying that he needed an aspirin for pain in his neck, refused to get a nurse. She said that wasn’t what he needed. He just needed to stay upstairs like she had been telling him and stay up there until he felt better. By the way this man has congestive heart failure and is also being cared for by hospice. She argued at me in front of other elderly tenants... Very angry, unprofessional. Who says she treats all of her elderly tenants like this. That means she is making medical sections for others. She is considered a “resident's assistant”. One who is supposed to push a resident in a wheelchair, give baths and change clothes. I wonder how many elderly tenants who become ill die in this place due to someone like Regina.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Jean, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and take your comments seriously. We would like the opportunity to learn more and discuss your concerns. We encourage you to call us at 877-400-5296. Thank you.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The staff at this Brookdale Northdale facility is constantly changing. The staff that is there is very quick to send residents to the hospital claiming resident did fall but nobody saw it. Each hospital visit is expensive and despite insurance there are copays. Wish I could give this place -5 stars!

B.J.

We take your comments seriously and would like the opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have. We hope you will reach out to us at 877-400-5296. Thank you.

Original review: June 2, 2018

We selected Freedom Village in Bradenton FL after visiting 5 other retirement communities in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. We have been here now for 10 months and are totally satisfied with our choice. It is one of the few communities offering a free standing Villa, which is what we desired. Making a move to a retirement community is a difficult decision. It is of great comfort that this is a CCRC with all levels of care and also offers the Life Care Guarantee... something no other community offered. One of the best parts is that the decision has now been made and trying to decide is behind us. We love our villa, our community, the wide selection of dining facilities, the new friends we have made, the wide choice of amenities and the attentive staff. Life is good!

Original review: May 26, 2018

We placed my mom into Brookdale Assisted Living (Portage MI) after going thru meetings with different employees, and receiving glowing recommendations from “A PLACE FOR MOM”. Actually all the reviews and descriptions from personnel and A PLACE FOR MOM were downright lies and broken promises. First the cost - Everything is an additional cost. Laying out clothes, extra, helping get them dressed, an additional cost, laying out shower supplies, extra, helping with shower, yes, extra. Meals are included, they seem to rotate every two weeks, and if someone is under the weather, they charge extra to bring a meal to their room. All in all, the fees drove the cost from 3500 a month to 6000 a month, in a 3 month period.

We needed our mom to be escorted to the dining hall... While being escorted she fell twice, requiring 2 emergency hospital visits (Of course the escort service was an extra charge). On the second trip to the emergency room they sent her without shoes, or winter coat (it was twenty degrees and snowing outside) and the medical information they sent with her was old and never updated. Despite paying extra to have someone get clothes out of the closet for her, they never noticed she would go days without changing clothes and taking a shower. We were spending all that money, yet I had no choice but to go there at least 3 times a week to ensure she was being taken care of. The lights in her bathroom stopped working and despite multiple calls to have them fixed, they didn’t get someone until late the next day to fix it. Thank goodness she did not fall while utilizing the bathroom in the darkness at night.

AND the worst part was that “A PLACE FOR MOM”, a organization that touts help for those people put in similar situations, recommends this place... Oh yeah, it could be because they get paid from Brookdale for recommendations that work into sales!!! We pulled my mom out after 3 and a half months and placed her into a wonderful place that DOES NOT use “A PLACE FOR MOM”. Yes, there are some places out there that really take pride in the quality of care they provide. The residents are treated like family, with kindness and patience. So, look a little harder, and dig a little deeper, when looking for an Assisted Living Facility, and don’t settle for Brookdale. Whether it’s for yourself or a loved one, you/they deserve better. This place is horrible.

Resolution response: June 13, 2018

My contract was written by the community for the wrong dates. They knowingly wrote it early and billed my long term care insurance company for dates I was not there. My long term care company refused payment on these dates as I was under home health care on those days. This makes my contract null and void as Brookdale management acknowledged to me. When I left the community, I was told I could leave and not have to give a 30 day notice. I was also told by the executive manager that I could leave early before the end of May, 2018. I left on the 26th of May and I was told I wouldn't be charged any days afterward if I could empty my room quickly. I was moved out May 31. Now the bill from corporate and the Bill from the community reflect charges for those days (of course, as usual the charges are different). I propose, I pay the amount paid to me by LTC insurance company and we call it a zero balance for many reasons. With my illness and it's complexity, I have been sick while living in the community for six to seven weeks. I've suffered two seizures caused by the employees there. My physician has put me on a new seizure medication, Primodone, since then. I want a zero balance on my bill once I pay for May. I talked with Steve (David ** this morning and he said he would give me credit for the days charged in May. Hopefully, we can do this and close this matter once and for all. Nancy **

Original review: May 24, 2018

I am currently in a Brookdale "Assisted Living" in Tennessee. They brought me in on a "special rate" they run periodically when there's low occupancy. What they do, however, is rush you in with little or no information. Just a handful of papers to hurriedly sign and even grab you later in the hallway or dining hall to sign. When you come to assisted living, you're not exactly able to make clear decisions and need help which isn't given then they backtrack on promises or lie. They don't give you assistance in any way. You're a cash cow!

Right now, ones who are brought in as assisted living but who can function independently to a great degree, get nothing unless we pay extra. I'm here on long term insurance and medical assistance has to come out of my pocket. Many or most figure that into the cost of room and board so nothing comes out of your pocket. The nationwide lawsuits are justified. We don't get help that is promised. I'm here because I had a stroke and I have Parkinson's. I also have seizures. When I have a seizure, because I didn't sign up and pay for their extra medical charges, I'm on my own. No compassion, no help, no RN on duty half the day, served canned food, spiders, stressful.

Updated on 06/12/2018: Thank God I got out May 31, 2018. This place was a nightmare from the start. I was solicited since 2015 to move in. When my doctor and I decided assisted living would be good for my health, I decided to take advantage of a discounted rate at Brookdale, Oak Ridge. I had been getting home health services. Thinking the discounted rate would stretch my long term care insurance benefits longer, I decided to move in. I took possession of the room, which was assigned to me and it was tiny! I was promised that I could have a larger room. The papers were pushed under my nose with no explanation of anything. I signed papers listening to various people. Later, papers were brought to me to sign in my room, the hallway, the dining room and I finally told them, I would no longer sign anything without looking it over.

The only R.N on sta came to my room telling me that they would be giving me my meds. I said, NO! My physician marked on my papers that I was capable of doing that myself. A rough begun with management over this. The costs ($600) would come out of my pocket. We began from there a fight between management and me. The stress and anxiety never stopped. The nurse actually brought new papers for me to sign about using their pharmacy. I thought I would change pharmacies from Cigna Home delivery and get a better price, or so I was told. At the end of the month, my medication came from their pharmacy. EVERYTHING! I told them this was an error, I had all my meds from Cigna and that I would switch when I ran out. A few weeks later, they deliver all my meds again.

Of course, there were hefty bills. Again, I told them to stop. I had no intention of switching now with this mess. I received meds three times which I properly returned. It ended up, today I got a final bill from their pharmacy for $16.60. For what, I don't know. I use an incontinence pad as my Parkinson's affects all my body systems and triggers them. I received a bill from them that they had made an emergency order of pads for me. I had simply said I would buy their pads but I had my supply coming in. The price was ok but I cringe appreciate getting $30 price added as an emergency supply. All in all, $90 was taken off my bill from orders I supposedly ordered.

I was told when I moved in that, “If you are sick and can't get to the dining room, you wouldn't be charged the $5.00 for delivery to your room.” In the end, by the time I got out of there, there were over $140 I was asked to pay. Why? Not the room and board gives us these me is a day, why are we doubled billed? The constant miscommunication there creates tremendous stress and the managers of the place were so rude. The cook assigns seats in the dining room as if we were children and she had stiff rules that had nothing to do with OSHA reg. She was a tyrant. One day, she got angry at me and slammed her hand on my table rattling the dinnerware and it caused me to have a seizure. I was taken to my room and I was comatose and out of for one and a half days. I told my doctor and she said, my seizures would do that.

The food was HORRIBLE. I studied nutrition and biochemistry and I've always been careful of my diet. We were served beans and legumes three times a day, with tons of starchy vegetables, and mac and cheese that had been frozen. Our food came out of cans, almost nothing fresh. I complained that we weren't getting anything fresh, on frozen or canned and fried meat. Very fattening plus bread. I asked for whole wheat toast instead of white and the cook informed me that it all was used the same in our body and is converted into sugar. As a diabetic, I knew that the whole wheat grain has the husk on it so it not only converts slowly not sparking sugar levels, plus the roughage keeps the sugar levels down also. The plastic glasses drank from often had lipstick on them. And complained because several of us had stomachaches and diarrhea.

Mine lasted for six to seven weeks. My tablemate ended up going to his doctor and began taking antibiotics. One waitress said she had it but they went ahead and served without wearing gloves. After I moved in, my house flooded costing me a great deal of money. My insurance company took over and brought in a home renovation company. I told Brookdale immediately that my extra funds were take but my bill had ballooned up with extra charges and I could never get a straight answer of how much I owed. The bill from the in-house business office and the bill from home office were sometimes two thousand different. The accounting system is a nightmare. They actually billed me for four extra days saying that I came in on the 15th of March when I didn't move in until the 19th. My long term care insurance company caught the error because they had paid home health services for my care at home. Stress!

When I moved out, the regional manager removed the charges. I came to Brookdale for rest after a stroke and my Parkinson's. More to come. I wrote this as a response to the company who asked what they could do. The building is old having been an assisted living under four companies. In 2012, the building was investigated by Don Dare a consumer advocate on local television because of water leaks and mold. While I was there, the ceiling ballooned out and water covered the halls and the place was draped with hallways of plastic blocking us from moving around the building. Huge machines were placed around to suck out the water from the carpets and dry them. The smell was bad. They began massive painting and the week after I left, the kitchen ceiling fell through so McDonald's was brought in. Also while I was there, the dishwasher stopped working.

There were few people to help us. There was one maintenance man, one maid to clean all the rooms and few servers in the kitchen. One man took it upon himself to walk on the greasy floor in front of the kitchen and fell and broke his hips. Needless to say, he will probably stay in a nursing home. I spent so much time trying to help some of the old people many in their 90s get around. Some lost and couldn't remember their rooms and shuffling around tired and confused. There weren't enough staff to monitor. One of my blind friends there didn't know to wear her pendant (Many didn't know) so she slipped and fell at night and laid on the floor from 2:00 a.m. till 8:00, said she was freezing. She's blind and 94. Another laid in the shower floor waiting for help (93 year old) and no-one answered her pendant call.

Another resident heard her and got an R.A. to help her. She's now gone to memory care. One resident slumped over in the dining room and I went over to help. She said she was having a heart attack. I called for help and the R.A.s said to forget it that she acted up wanting attention. I was shocked! My room had spiders and whether poisonous or not, I was unhappy to see them crawl up my comforter in bed. I planted a lot of flowers as part of the garden club. If the residents don't bring them or do the work planting and repairing the gardens, it doesn't get done. The above ground closer beds were repaired by the families. I spent some time off and on picking up trash outside also.

This month, the business office billed my LTC insurance incorrectly. It's always something. The corporate office should contact me and let's get this mess straightened out. I'm in home health care right now and will think long and hard before going into assisted living again. Brookdale misrepresented themselves and it's not a place I would wish on anyone. It's sad to see that many residents in their 90s that can't have advocates.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Nancy, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and would like the opportunity to discuss your feedback and any additional concerns you may have. We hope you will reach out to our Resident and Family Connection Team at 877-400-5296. Thank you.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I visited Brookdale Kettering (Ohio) twice in 4 years. The first time, didn't result in residence there for my mom but the second time did. Each visit was a pleasant, positive experience. Staff super friendly, caring, considerate. The facility in Kettering is old and dated but very homey and comfortable. When it was time to move my mom there, again, super friendly, helpful and pleasant, communicative staff. My mom lived there 2 weeks when she had a fall and fractured her femur in her room. She was wearing the emergency necklace and was attended to nearly immediately. She went to hospital for surgery and is now in rehab for an undetermined time (at this time).

Soon after her fall, I got a call asking when she'd be back, and if I wasn't sure to remove her belongings. No one asked about her condition, how she was doing or showed any compassion. I can't tell you the disappointment I felt with the staff as we moved her belongings back out to her (still owned) condo. They were most concerned with getting all their keys, tv remote and emergency necklace back. They never once asked how she was. It was so obvious that all they cared about was filling the rooms and getting their monthly check. So very disappointed with Brookdale.

Original review: May 1, 2018

My 97-year-old Aunt was forced to move because of roach infestation. She was an “Ambassador” for over 2 years. She is a delightful lady, she lights up a room. She greeted prospective residents, she would lunch and attend “Happy Hour” with prospective residents. She was a great spokeswoman and promoter of Brookdale. Working in Brookdale’s Ambassador program, she received an invitation for an Ambassador's luncheon. She was thrilled to receive the invitation and felt appreciated (after all she had been through with the bugs and rude employees). She wanted to say her final goodbyes to her friends. Upon sitting at the luncheon table, the activities director yelled at her to get out! She said, my aunt was not invited and no longer welcomed. She sadly went back to her apartment feeling unappreciated and defeated. She cried, while telling me what happened.

I have enclosed the business card Brookdale Pinecrest gave her as “Ambassador” and the invitation to the luncheon. This was strictly a volunteer job, she was never compensated for her closing skills. She thoroughly enjoyed promoting Brookdale Pinecrest. This is the same activities director whom I witnessed, give a man beads during a party, then later, physically take them off of his neck. When he asked why he could not keep the beads, she responded that she ran out and other residents needed the beads. He was so sad, I hurt for him. I almost went home and grabbed a bag of beads to give to him.

These are incidents of mental and emotional abuse of Senior Citizens. Some of which are Veterans and all people deserve better treatment. Where is the compassion, Brookdale? I told her not to ride on the bus anymore to Publix. I saw the bus in traffic one day. The driver did not obey traffic laws and drove questionable. I feared for her safety. I made weekly visits to take her to the store, even though she paid for the service.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My mother was at Brookdale for almost 2-1/2 years. The Villas assisted living side was everything I had hoped for. When mom was moved to Sterling House (memory care), disgusting, does not begin to describe the level of care, food or response of management to any questions or concerns raised. Medications were not properly dispensed even with clear Dr.’s instructions. My mother would gag to the point of being unable to eat breakfast. We paid extra for "personal care" including scheduled bathroom help but her "diaper" was so saturated in the morning, it fell to floor when she got out of bed. I purchased a new bed & mattress with rubber covers (3) to protect the mattress, but still, the mattress was heavily soiled after three only 3 months. I took pictures of feces on her bathroom stool after an aid got her dressed and took her to breakfast. I sent the pictures and a list of concerns to management (Executive Director) and never got a reply.

She avoided me like I was the plague when she knew I wanted to talk to her. Almost $2000 per month extra for personal service and manage her medications which they did very, very poorly or not at all. The food was horrible burned, cold or so tough she couldn’t chew it. Food was never what they have listed on the menu either. After supper they wheel them to their rooms and that's the end of any care for the day until they ready them for bed. No functions unless it's from "volunteers" from the community or friend/relative of a resident. I don't know how these people can sleep at night or live with themselves at all. All for the almighty buck. Lots of omissions and lipstick on the pig when they are "recruiting". You will learn the rest of the "story" when your loved one runs out of money and may need Medicare/Medicaid to take over but only after 2 years of self-pay.

Brookdale has the whole psychology part of this down pat and plays it to the nth degree. I would like to see the management training manual that teaches how to suck the life out of people for the most money while giving the least amount of care in return. I feel the utmost sympathy for those poor people who have no one left in the world to advocate for their care and well being. Do NOT put the care of a loved one in the hands of these people.

Original review: April 14, 2018

My wife was at Brookdale Memory Care in Central Oregon for 3 months. It was not a positive experience. Activities were minimal and poorly directed. The food was disgusting. I was told company policy was to offer two entree choices at meals. This never happened. I was told the Refresher program to supply warm washcloths at meals was policy. This never happened. I did not see that her sheets were ever changed by staff. (I pulled them myself, and made staff wash them). Common area bathroom was filthy for days. Complaints to admin were met with excuses and unkept promises. Reports of concerning behaviour were not credible or documented, or ever seen by me. (I visited her almost every day). I want to explore the possibility of expanding the class action lawsuit to my state including breach of contract. A bad choice on my part.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My husband's Mother had dementia and was in need of assisted living. We looked into Brookdale Senior Living of Davison, Michigan. It seemed clean, nice, professional, close to siblings so we put her in there. She was doing fine, we live 3 hours north so we visit her every 2-3 weeks. We received a call the Saturday after Thanksgiving that she had fallen and was found outside somewhere on the sidewalk. We asked if she was ok, they said she was fine, the staff doctor was in and checked on her and all was fine. We took their word for it and went down to check on her 2 weeks later and her face was black and her hand was black. We had been noticing that every time we went there, there were fewer and fewer staff members and residents. I asked Shirley (my Mother in law) about it, she said a new place had opened up in town and they were going there. Also, there never seemed to be any staff there.

After we got home, I called there to see if I could talk to the staff regarding her because she didn't seem to be all there. I was told that the Executive Director was no longer there and the RN was working from home. WHAT? How can a nurse of an assisted living facility work from home? I asked whom I was speaking to and he said he was a salesman? The RN called me the following day and said the man I talked to was wrong and or I had misunderstood him. Okay. We received a call saying that Shirley wasn't herself so they were sending her to the ER. I called my brother and he went to the hospital to check on her. She seemed pretty good, just more demented than usual, he left after. They said they had more tests to run and when they checked back the next day they said she was fine and they sent her home.

No, what they did was dropped her off at the nursing home unable to mobilize herself, in the middle of the night, without speaking to any staff at the assisted living facility, because there was none there. Brookdale called me the next day and said since Shirley was no longer able to be continent it would be another $1000.00 a month for her care. Well, we knew it would be more but knew something was up. The following Friday during a blizzard we drove down to Brookdale without a heads up and walked in on Shirley laying in her bed, feces all over the bathroom, her dirty pants on the floor, the room wreaked of urine and feces and dirty dishes sitting on her bed stand. They had told us that she was not mobile so we thought we could set her up in a wheelchair but there was not one to be found. When we realized that she did not know who we were, we called the ambulance.

I went into the office and there sat the RN and I said, "What about Shirley?" and she said, "Oh we were just getting ready to give her a bath." Really? The ambulance people got there and said what meds is she on and the RN blurted out, "Morphine." Really? For what? My Mother couldn't even lift her head, couldn't lift her arms or legs. The RN said she hadn't drank anything for 3 days and the same for food. The dirty dishes were because they were trying to get her to eat or drink. We took her to the hospital, they said she hasn't had a stroke like the in home doctor had previously said, she had blunt force trauma to the head causing a brain bleed, there was new and old blood on the brain and it was still bleeding, she also had a UTI and AFIB.

They couldn't get her to take the meds and she wouldn't let them put in an IV so they had to send her to ICU to calm down and when she did, they sent her to another Nursing home and soon to follow Hospice because she was dying. This was all within a week. She passed the following Friday. When we returned to Brookdale to get her items, the RN told us that they had a new Executive Director and we said, "So we get a refund for this month right? Knowing the condition we found her in", the RN said yes. During the cleaning of her room we found a Morphine pill in the candy dish. The nurse was like, "Why would that be?" "How would I know, You work here!" A few days after the funeral, we received a phone call from this so called new Executive Director and the RN on speaker phone and when asked about the refund, the RN said "I didn't say that, I didn't have the authorization to say that". "Really? Well that's what you told us."

Then I requested records from the assisted living facility and got an email from the ED stating they needed proof that I was the guardian. I sent it back stating you already have a copy of that. She said that it was from 2 years prior. I sent them proof of court and my mother appointed guardian, conservator and fiduciary and said, "Please send the records." She said she needed all that to make sure I was in charge of the estate and that I wasn't opening up a new estate??? I don't know what on earth that means but I was in charge of my mother and am now in charge of her affairs and they won't give us our money back and they neglected and as far as I'm concerned killed my mother!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I worked at the Westlake Ohio office as a Clinical Manager. Absolutely the worst experience of my career. Unorganized understaffed, insane workload, unethical and unsafe practice directly causing neglect to patients. Patient admits were delayed for weeks due to staffing problems. I am so relieved to be out of this work environment. Until upper management and leaders like the CEO realize how terrible it is then I can see the company going under. They lost millions of dollars last year. Many unhappy employees left our office due to unsafe expectations. Nothing changed!!

Brookdale Senior Living expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brookdale Senior Living Solutions is a publically traded company that operates more than 1,100 communities in 46 states. The company operates independent and assisted living communities, memory care facilities and skilled nursing facilities.

• Pricing options: Potential residents of Brookfield’s retirement communities can choose either a monthly rental plan, which requires no entry fee, or a LifeCare plan, which has both an entrance fee and a monthly fee and includes many health care costs.

• Optimum Life: Brookdale publishes Optimum Life, a magazine that features stories about Brookdale residents. The magazine is available for free on the company’s website.

• Wish of a Lifetime: Brookdale has partnered with Wish of a Lifetime, an organization that helps make seniors’ wishes and dreams come true. Through the partnership, more than 600 residents have had their wishes granted.

• Cost information: Interested consumers can visit Brookdale’s website for information about the cost of living in one of the company’s communities. The website provides clear cost information.

• CCRCs: The company has many Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC), which have multiple types of care options at a single location. When residents’ needs change, they can move between areas in the CCRC while remaining connected to the friends they’ve made there.

• Best for: Brookdale Senior Living Solutions has communities to accommodate the needs of most potential residents, including seniors, retirees and those needing long-term care.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs