Find an Assisted Living partner

3. Assisted Living

3.6/5 (90 ratings)
Find an Assisted Living partner
Banner image

Find assisted living near you.

Start your senior living search with A Place for Mom

Talk to an Advisor

About Brookdale Senior Living

Brookdale Senior Living offers multiple care services for seniors in more than 1,100 facilities nationwide. Brookdale emphasizes helping you find the right care plan for yourself or your loved one. With amenities such as gardening, fitness classes and trivia nights, Brookdale caters to a wide range of interests and needs.

Pros

• 1,100+ facilities nationwide
  • Memory care services
  • Multiple care services
  • Numerous amenities

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Pricey

Bottom Line

Brookdale Senior Living is a multifaceted senior living facility with more than 1,100 locations in the U.S. Each facility provides several levels of care.

Top Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They are very flexible and are there because they truly love their jobs. They aren't there just for the paycheck which is noticeable and greatly appreciated. There are great featu...

Verified

My mother loved this place after her surgery. She was able to pick her arrangements and the staff were very knowledgeable… We wanted something suitable for my mother and they had ...

Banner image

Find assisted living near you.

Start your senior living search with A Place for Mom

Talk to an Advisor

What is Brookdale Senior Living?

Brookdale Senior Living offers a variety of senior living services and communities around the country. Services include:

• Independent living: Ideal for seniors with an active lifestyle.
  • Assisted living: For seniors who require assistance with daily tasks and activities.
  • Memory care: Provided for those with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
  • Skilled nursing: Short- and long-term nursing care for patients.
  • Continuing care retirement communities: Multiple levels of care available on one Brookdale Senior Living campus.
  • Hospice care: Care for those battling a terminal illness through on-call support and services.
  • Home health: Healthcare and senior care services inside the patient’s home.

Brookdale Senior Living works with each family to identify the right level of care for their loved ones through comprehensive discussions and support. It also helps families understand the financial costs behind senior care by providing resources and financial planning assistance. Veteran benefits are also available.

How much does Brookdale Senior Living cost?

The cost of Brookdale Senior Living is directly associated with the level of care provided.

• Independent living: $870 to $7,545 per month
  • Assisted living: $800 to $7,725 per month
  • Memory care: $2,795 to $10,030 per month

Other fees include a one-time admission and apartment preparation fee that ranges from $385 to more than $6,100, depending on the level of care needed.

Those who need skilled nursing services may be able to pay for care with Medicare or private insurance.

Patients interested in a continuing care retirement community will need to choose between a rental structure or lifetime care. Each requires a monthly fee that varies by location, housing selection and necessary care services. The monthly fees cover expenses such as groceries, utility bills, lawn care, entertainment, laundry and more.

Brookdale Senior Living FAQ

How many Brookdale communities are there?
Brookdale Senior Living operates more than 1,100 communities across the country. Each community provides varying levels of senior care services.
Where is Brookdale Senior living located?
Brookdale locations can be found in the following states:
  • Alabama
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
Does Brookdale accept Medicaid?
Yes, Brookdale Senior Living accepts Medicaid and other forms of government benefits or private insurance.
Is Brookdale a skilled nursing facility?
Yes, Brookdale Senior Living facilities offer skilled nursing services. These services may not be available in every facility, so it is best to inquire in advance.

Is Brookdale Senior Living good?

Brookdale Senior Living facilities are a good option for seniors looking for additional care. With the facilities’ different levels of care and services, there are options for all seniors. While some may find the cost pricey, Brookdale’s team has professionals who can help you review your options, understand financial planning and navigate Medicare/Medicaid benefits.

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brookdale Senior Living?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

While the facility is very nice, my father lasted 5 days before we felt like they forced us to remove him. My father is a fall risk that they were aware of, and instead of working with us to find a solution, the care team demanded we bring someone else in to watch him or they would do so and then bill us for the care. They were calling every day, demanding meetings and “health plan updates”. When it was discussed that the fees for the companion were unaffordable, they still demanded someone be with him 24/7 until he was acclimated. “Could be a few days or a few weeks.” What’s the point in him being there, then, if they can’t provide the care?

When we asked about other options for care, none were provided. When I explained that it felt like they were forcing us to move my father, I was rudely told “well he COULD stay if you got a companion.” They had been told countless times before this wasn’t an option not that family members could stay with him 24/7. When I asked about a refund for the remaining time he would not be in the facility, I was informed “this isn’t us not providing care” when it very much is them not providing any other options. Again, my father was there for what will total 6 days and they were not willing to ACTUALLY do the work to help him acclimate or refund the amount for the other 3 weeks. I have already reached out to corporate regarding the request but who knows how long that will take.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Sabrina, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and have shared your comments with our corporate management team. We are aware that you have spoken with the District Director of Operations, Alyssa, regarding this and we recommend reaching back out to her with any concerns you may have. Thank you!

Original review: May 1, 2021

Two relatives have been in a Brookdale facility. In both cases the initial entrance was good, but once they had the patient lodged in their facility it was one price increase after another for services that were demanded by the facility or risk expulsion. Services expected with the base fee. And staff complained about performing the services. With both experiences it became obvious that their corporate business model is up sale as much as possible. If you do pay for additional services they are not adequately staffed to perform the service as needed on a regular or frequent basis. They know once a patient is lodged in their facility it is difficult and disruptive to relocate. I recommend looking into alternative facilities, preferably locally owned.

Get buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2021

We were looking for a place for my mom. She is 91 with early onset dementia. From the very first visit, the sales staff started with high pressure sales talking about how we could get a 15% discount for life, but we had to sign within the next several days. This went on through every discussion and the 2 visits we had to the facility. Every time there was pressure to sign contracts immediately. We had discussed with the sales staff that 1) mom had dementia and therefore cannot sign anything or agree to anything, and 2) do NOT show her a room with a stove (she has issues leaving the stove on).

Mom went to visit the location with one of her friends and they showed her a room with a full kitchen and stove. She got excited, they baited her with the discount speech and got her to write them a $4400 check. Then I started getting the calls, texts and emails to sign the contracts. Everything is through Docusign and must be done online - mom doesn't have a computer or email - so they emailed the contract to me with instructions to "just sign your mom's name." They were extremely persistent, even when I told them I wasn't signing. They kept up about the discount and how we would lose it. Even when I said stop making this about the money and that we wanted the place that would give the best care they still pushed about sign now or lose the discount. I told them IN WRITING that we were not proceeding and to destroy the check that mom had written.

I got an email from docusign saying the contract had been voided. Next thing we hear is that the contract is signed and they are expecting mom to move in immediately and they cashed the check. Wait, who signed the contract? There were no copies given to my mom. I called the sales rep and asked for copies of the contract and she refused to comply, saying that mom was her customer and that I was not part of this. We had discussions with mom about the situation and told her we were going to void the contract. We then overheard a call from the sales rep to my mom telling mom to "just pack up and get out of that house as fast as you can." Rep said things such as this is your life, you make your own choices, your family can't tell you what to do. And we recorded it.

This was around 9pm. I heard that and immediately called the rep and left her a voice mail message and told her that call was extremely inappropriate and again that we were cancelling the contract. I followed up with a text telling her that the real word I should have used was unethical, and that we did record the call. Next day we called the rep (Renee) and the site director (Ralph) to cancel everything and be done with it all. Ralph finally called back and said they would cancel and issue a refund for the check. I went to the site to obtain copies of anything that had been signed and Ralph refused to deal with me.

I happened to bring my POA paperwork and he refused to acknowledge it and said the only way he would give me anything was if I brought a signed note from my mom (note they had no knowledge of the POA when they were asking me to sign my mom's name on the contract) and that they only honored POAs when the person was incapacitated. I go back home, write a note and have mom sign, then go back to the site only to be told that Ralph had just left and would not be back until the following week and NO ONE else on the staff could get the paperwork because it was only on his computer.

Finally had the assistant director come our (she was the only decent person that I dealt with) and she said Ralph would be emailing the docs that evening. I did receive the contract and the discounts they had promised were not included - the room and board was being charged at full price. The sheet that outlined the level of care and the cost for the level of care was missing. Pricing for services listed in the contract were outrageously different than what the sales rep had told us. The contract was nothing like what had been discussed - it is no wonder that they were refusing to give me a copy. They still refused to tell me who actually signed it - my mom didn't sign, yet there is an electronic version of her signature where someone had signed the contracts through Docusign. Dirty, dishonest, unethical and rude is how I would describe them.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Mark, we take these comments seriously and are sorry to hear you feel this way. We are aware your sister was the resident's guarantor and responsible party. We have shared your comments with our corporate management team for their further review and also encourage you to follow up with your sister regarding concerns you may still have. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

This facility is more interested in collecting their money than the care of the residents. My mother passed away on December 29th 2020, on January 5th. They dented her account, after assuring me it would be taken care of. The result was the funeral home could not be paid. Rather than returning the money to the account, I have to wait on a paper check by snail mail. When you call the facility to speak to the administration or the business office, they are rarely at the facility. You must then leave a message, they don't return calls in a timely manner. I would not recommend this facility to other families. I will be contacting the appropriate governing entities about this facility.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Patricia, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and have shared your comments with our management team. We are aware a rush refund was sent out on January 7th. We encourage you to reach out to the community and ask to speak to a member of our management team to discuss any further concerns you may have. Thank you.

Resolution response: Jan. 13, 2021

This is an update to my original complaint about Brookdale and I will note that after conversations with the facility director, they have now stopped the wrongful collection actions. I strongly suggest that everyone considering senior care be very diligent in selection of facilities especially during this unprecedented pandemic. Get actual photos of the facility and apartment you are considering. Know your rights and the documents you may have to sign.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

My father needed memory care as his condition worsened. I was not able to personally visit the facility due to COVID lockdown. The sales person showed a video of a representative apartment. Obviously, this was a recipe for disaster. When I moved my parent's belongings into the facility I was heartbroken. The apartment was dark, low celing, disgusting kitchen, smelled foul, there were no updates, and the view to the outdoors featured the huge industrial generator. That was it. The next day I moved their things out. They never stayed at this place.

Brookdale refused to refund the $3500 facility fee paid upfront and now they have the nerve to try to charge an additional $490 for what, I don’t know. Even better, they never sent a bill, they just sent it to collections. I don’t even know what the charges were for! How predatory how and disgusting. Plus, dad passed away 5 days later. Please think twice about trusting this organization. I even spoke with the director there, and she told me she would put in a request to stop the collection of these bogus charges but to this day I am still getting collection notice. She did nothing.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Evangeline, we take your comments seriously and encourage you to call our corporate team at 855-717-5638. We would like the opportunity to learn more and discuss any concerns you have. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Brookdale Roanoke diagnosed my sister incorrectly for almost a year only to collect funds. They were asked on multiple occasions if she had Dementia and stated yes. She was never seen by a Doctor there. An independent Doctor review resulted in her not having Dementia. After a year of telling the family she had Dementia they agreed and she was released. I reached out to discuss the issue via phone and email they refuse to respond. Do not use this facility!!!!

Brookdale Senior Living response

Johnny, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and are aware you have spoken to a member of our management team previously. We have shared this comment along with your email with them for their further review. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

My father spent two months (2019) in the assisted living building which was okay. He then went to the memory care building due to confusion. While there for two months, he fell several times and the staff were not helpful in coming up with a plan to prevent falls. The nurse was incompetent and did not provide medication ordered by the doctor. We asked for physical therapy for him to build his strength but despite assurances, he never got any. The management increased his fees several times but did not provide the care he needed. I cannot recommend them.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Leslie, the health and well-being of our residents is our top priority and we are sorry to hear you feel this way. We are committed to providing quality services and have shared your feedback with our corporate management team for their further review.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I could never say enough good things about Brookdale. The employees are the best. The facility is beautiful. There are tons of activities such as games, cards, swimming pool, pool table. The living room is very homey and a wonderful place to come sit. My parents moved there about 7 years ago. Everyone was so nice and treated them so well. They always made sure all their needs were met. When my dad got dementia they went above and beyond in caring for him until he died. My mom is still there and they are so kind to her. With this Covid pandemic they are checking on her several times a day to make sure she has everything she needs. They bring her snacks, puzzles, and other goodies. They visit to make sure she doesn't get lonely. I cannot begin to say how glad we are to have my mom there.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Do not send anyone to the Florham Park, NJ center. This place has denied my Mother’s right to speak to her attorney. I gave my Mother an iPhone 7. She called me every day and the last phone call I received from her was that she wanted out and that she wanted to speak to her attorney. That was on April 4, 2020. She also told me that the people there don’t speak English. There is nothing wrong with that; however when dealing with patients English should always be spoken - or a translator provided. That is the last time my Mother used her phone. Since then I have received 5 pages of 24 x 7 data usage report. I have requested three times for my property to be returned and all times it has been denied.

I have reached out to Superior court of NJ - family division. I am my Mother’s primary contact with the Somerset County Department of Aging and I am reaching out to them to do an emergency inspection and to give my Mother the capability of speaking with her attorney. I plan on suing this place under criminal code 2C for refusal to return and denying me the right to my property. And for Human rights violations. I am waiting for a Captain and the Mayor of Florham Park to take action. I have informed them if nothing is done they will be sued in Federal Court under U.S. 42 Statue 1983. Under 8 counts and violations against the U.S. Constitution. They under the color of law have an obligation to protect people from abuse, protect property, due process and free speech. All of which have been denied to my Mother. Do Not ever send anyone here; unless you hate them.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Annette, we are sorry to hear you feel this way and respect our residents and their POA's wishes and privacy. We encourage you to reach out to the POa to discuss concerns you may have. We are aware the phone has been shipped to you. Thank you.

Original review: March 24, 2020

If your loved ones have anything more than the basic needs, do not send them here. Their medical staff is understaffed. They are disorganized and I had to constantly be an advocate to make sure they were helping my Uncle. We pushed the emergency button and no one came. After 10 minutes I went to the Nurse's station and they said someone would be there as soon as they finished with another person. I said what if he was having a heart attack and they looked at me as if I had two heads. He hadn't had a shower and it turned out he wasn't even on the schedule. One time I arrived and the heat was on so high that he was slumped in his chair. They have no method of organization in the room - like no clip board on his bed for the aides or nurses to fill in when they come in so the staff can track what has been done and when.

My Uncle was only there 2 weeks. He was rushed to the hospital with a urinary tract infection and a viral infection in his lungs. Brookdale didn't call to let us know. We didn't know until the hospital called. The only good things about this place were that some of the staff was very nice - the receptionist, the dining room workers, some of the aides. There wasn't a hand washing protocol. The last time I visited it smelled in his room and the bathroom was a mess - there were no sheets on the bed. He probably got a urinary tract infection because they didn't change his catheter enough. I don't think the medical staff is the problem - they are understaffed and they have too much to do - but they are VERY disorganized.

I don't think the lunch staff received benefits as one woman told me she was on Medicaid. Which of course also means that they were grossly underpaid. I am not sure what 9k a month was paying for. My uncle was quite old. He is dying now. I'm not going to say that he wouldn't be dying if they had taken better care of him but I do think that, perhaps, they sped up the process.

Brookdale Senior Living response

Catherine, we take your comments seriously and encourage you to call our corporate resident and family connection team. We would like the opportunity to learn more and discuss any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Brookdale Senior Living Company Information