2. Elder Care
  3. Assisted Living

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.64/5

Sunrise Senior Living is an assisted living facility that provides individualized service and personalized care for older residents. Sunrise has multiple specialized services and is a viable option for anyone considering relocating to a senior living facility.

BOTTOM LINE

Sunrise Senior Living is a good option for older individuals because of its wide range of care services. However, the cost may be a little pricey for some people because of the level of care and quality of amenities and living areas.

PROS

• Personalized living space
  • Can bring personal pets
  • Varying levels of senior care

CONS

• Not available in all 50 states
  • Expensive

Top Sunrise Senior Living Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrise Senior Living?

A variety of options as far as level of care needed. Daily care, overnight care, 24 hour rotations… Good value for the very reliable service, caring and reliable workers, the various options to choose from to meet individual needs. Value for the quality of care, medical, help needs.

When they helped my grandmother, they offered her so much. She got to participate in so many activities as well of having her independence. Round the clock care, always there for any needs, or reasons… My grandmother was always so happy. … They were wonderful.

What is Sunrise Senior Living?

Sunrise Senior Living is a resident-centered environment for older individuals who require care. Its facilities provide residents with:

• Independent living
    • Skilled nursing and rehabilitative care
    • Alzheimer’s disease and memory care
    • Assisted living and personal care
    • Short-term stays and respite care

Sunrise Senior Living’s facilities use CareConnect electronic health technology to track residents’ health records, preferences and needs. It also sends approved patient updates to selected family members and loved ones.

How does Sunrise Senior Living work?

To begin, you must determine if it is time for you or your loved one to enter a senior living environment. Sunrise Senior Living offers an informative online questionnaire designed to help guide your decision. From there, you can take another questionnaire to determine the level of care needed.

If you decide that a Sunrise Senior Living facility is right for you or a family member, contact the location nearest you to determine availability. There may be a waiting list if its facilities are full.

Sunrise Senior Living cost

The cost of Sunrise Senior Living varies based on the level of care. More frequent and/or complex care will result in a higher rate.

All residents pay a monthly fee that covers:

• Rent
    • Caregiving fees
    • Home maintenance
    • Property tax and insurance
    • Utility payments

You should also expect to pay for various medical needs and services as they arise.

Sunrise Senior Living offers veterans benefits of up to $2,000 per month for eligible residents. The IRS also provides tax deductions on specific costs associated with senior living and care. Consult with your tax advisor to determine which deductions you and your loved one may be eligible for.

Sunrise Senior Living FAQ

Who owns Sunrise Senior Living?
    Sunrise Senior Living was founded by Paul and Terry Klaassen in 1981. Today the company owns and manages 329 communities across the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada.
    Where is Sunrise Senior Living?
    Sunrise Senior Living has communities in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. You can find facilities in the following states:
    • Arizona
    • New Jersey
    • Utah
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    Is Sunrise Senior Living a nonprofit?
    No, Sunrise Senior Living is not a nonprofit. It is a private company.
    Does Sunrise Senior Living accept Medicaid?
    Yes, Sunrise Senior Living accepts Medicaid. However, it recommends supplementing Medicaid with another form of insurance or payment for those able to do so, as Medicaid does not cover the full cost of housing, treatment and more.

Is Sunrise Senior Living safe?

Sunrise Senior Living operates safe facilities that provide all levels of senior care, including home care, respite care and skilled nursing. The facilities offer a wealth of amenities unavailable at many other senior living facilities, including creative activities, the ability to bring a pet and the option to customize the living area.

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrise Senior Living?

Original review: April 18, 2020

My dad had a Horrible experience at this facility. I warn all prospective families to avoid placing their family member here. Poor staff training doesn't even cover issues we experienced causing my dad 2 fractured femurs and life-threatening health issues. Constant Bed Sores, and UTI'S too! He was wheel chaired bound to begin with, couldn't even sit on the edge of his bed by himself but yet they managed to Drop him numerous times from his lift due to not using Mandated Safety Straps and NOT following basic plan care for him. Tragic outcome resulting from trusting them to care for our loved one. Stay Away! Be sure to check out their licensing violations with Dept of Social Services.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Look for recent reviews--The Colonnades has more problems every day. Routine loss of electricity, heat and hot water. A plumbing disaster closed their kitchen. Food comes from a temporary kitchen. No table service in the dining room--buffet line only. Worst of all--they are chronically understaffed. Despite job fairs they are unable to hire and keep staff, from service staff to nurses to administrators. Those who remain are unpleasant to deal with. Currently spending on a big dining room addition while rooms sit empty. There are newer, better options in Charlottesville. Look around!

Get buying tips about Assisted Living delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

My mother passed away on May 15 of this year. We ended up with a credit of over $500. Every month we get a credit statement showing how much credit we have. But as of December 2 we still have not received the money that they owe us. I tried calling the accounting office at the facility where my mother lived. They have no accounting office there, only a business office. I left messages but they never called back. Finally, I reached someone. She was very nice and polite and said she would take care of it and get back to me. Neither has it been taken care of nor has she gotten back to me.

I tried to find the corporate accounting office and though I did find information about an accounting scandal that nearly drove them into bankruptcy and forced the sale of the company, I could not find a phone number for an accounting office. Beyond this, our experience at Sunrise was so-so. They had some good employees when my mother moved there--an especially good activities director. They cut him back to part-time and he had to find work elsewhere. Other good employees were constantly leaving because of overwork and low wage. Basically we had to have our own "private" with my mother during all waking hours. The place looked nice and was kept relatively clean.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

At first glance Sunrise of Golden Valley appears to be a wonderful caring facility, but our experience indicates that they have some serious issues with ethics, integrity and honesty. Two days prior to my mother being scheduled to transition from a rehab facility into Sunrise of Golden Valley, they pulled the rug out from under us without warning and with minimal explanation (causing great hardship for my mother and our family).

Turns out I was blatantly and repeatedly lied to throughout the entire sales process regarding Sunrise's capability, experience and willingness to care for my mother. My mother suffers from Lewy Body Dementia (the second most common form of dementia). The sales director told me that Sunrise of Golden Valley had extensive experience caring for numerous residents who suffered from Lewy Body and they were very well equipped to deal with its challenges.

After extensive discussions regarding my mother's needs, I was assured that Sunrise was a great fit for her. There was never any mention of the possibility of my her being rejected because she suffered from Lewy Body. Immediately after Sunrise completed their routine assessment of my mother I was told that she had done great, there were no red flags and they would be recommending a placement in the less care intensive assisted living quarters with Sunrise. They had her room all picked out, we had the movers booked and I even had a new lift assist recliner being shipped to their facility.

Two days before my mother was scheduled to move into Sunrise, the sales director called me and told me that they "Can't help us." My inquiries as to why were met with vague and evasive responses. This totally unexpected, last minute, incredibly disruptive, rejection caused my mother tremendous physical, emotional and financial hardship (as her insurance coverage had expired at the rehab facility and we had no backup plan as we had been assured that we wouldn't need one).

Two months later (after scrambling to get my mother placed in a competitor's facility), Sunrise's Regional Operations Director admitted to me that Sunrise is not equipped to handle Lewy Body patients, that my mother was rejected for that reason and that I had been blatantly and repeated lied to throughout the entire sales and assessment process.

I have trouble wrapping my head around how a facility that shows such apparent care and sensitivity to their residents could treat an incredibly vulnerable wonderful elderly woman so callously. But clearly...in at least this instance...they did not hesitate to repeatedly and blatantly lie when they thought it might be in their financial interest do so. Do you really want to entrust the care of your highly vulnerable elderly loved one to these people?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I have had many poor experiences at Sunrise in Palos Park. My brother, who has dementia, lived there for a short 9 months and I am glad he is not going back. When I was packing up my brothers things to move him out I realized that a of lot of clothes in his closet were not his. There were four shoes and none of them matched and not his. I have noticed that his clothes were missing before and when I complained to the staff they put anybody’s clothes in the closet to fill it. I believe that Sunrise was increasing the living costs for my brother without merit, acting managing directer was exaggerating things about my brother that just were not true, so much so, another nurse apologized for her actions and behavior because she could see how much Diane bothered me.

Dementia patients at Sunrise Palos Park reside in a secure, locked environment where there is one door that cannot be opened without a code you input in on the keypad located on the wall by the door. TWICE by brother made his way out of this area. Keep in mind, he does not move very fast and was not being secretive but yet he still was found outside the locked area for dementia patients. The first time, he got out I was told it was because a gentleman that lives in assisted living, on the other side of the locked door, this gentleman was given the door code so he could come and go freely to visit his wife.

The second time, he got out because he followed a cleaning lady who opened the security door and allowed him to follow her out without checking the door behind her. Sunrise notified me 5 days after this incident because they were calling the wrong phone number to get in touch with me. This occurred in mid Feb. 2019 which was the coldest month of the year in the history of Chicago weather, and he also walked through the basic assisted living area un-noticed and went out the door in the cold without a coat. The time he was outdoors was never provided to us.

So, when they finally inform me of the situation they presented it as though he had escaped and/or broke out. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS. I inquired if this incident was reported to the proper government agency, which I believe is mandatory for this type of facilities. I requested a copy of the report they filed,but they were unwilling to provide. I'm assuming this is how they maintain their higher ratings at there assisted living facility.

The last draw for me is when Sunrise called and told me that my brother was dehydrated and he was not swallowing the water they gave him, they sent him to the hospital and we went to the hospital to find out he had a brain bleed in addition to the dehydration. The first thing the doctor at the hospital questioned me about were all the bruises all over his body. The doctor questioned where he was living and how many times they called to tell me he fell.

I told him just once, that he had slipped off a chair. Also, I would warn you that signing for outings they offer from time to time and dinners purchased at outside restaurants which are added to your bill,without applying credits for the dinners that were skipped. We received additional charges on the invoice for sandwiches,etc. But one really stands out : $ 36.85 for lunch from the Cheese Cake Factory. (a bit extreme) I advise you not to use Sunrise if you can avoid it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My father was a resident there for 15 months. Staff were friendly and mostly met his needs. He had his favorites and was called "Mr Coffee" due to love of coffee. My dad was in hospice for his last 2 months. After he passed, there was no contact from facility administration, or other staff. It was like he had never been there. No condolences, no notes, no letters, no nothing. I understand that this is not a requirement, but wouldn't it be an appreciated courtesy to recognize a resident's family at this time?

Original review: March 3, 2019

The staff in East Meadow is fabulous. Yes it's definitely a revolving door in all departments but no complaints as the problem employees never last more than a week or two. My father has lived there many years, from the kindness of everyone to the Chef, no complaints worthwhile typing. But... CORPORATE. Don't be fooled this is a profit bearing Corporation who will bankrupt the family, seems ok when you first get there but as soon as your loved one is settled and happy, BAM all the charges change and out the door your loved one goes with or without your permission.

I've seen this happen, even the staff admits its disgusting and it breaks their hearts every time they have to pack a resident up to be shipped off to government nursing home. Beware this place was sold to corporate a few years ago and nothing is the same. I've known the staff for years, would never use names but they wouldn't allow their loved ones to live there based on Corporate $$$. Your family member is merely buying a new house, car, yacht or college tuition for the Board's family. Trying to reason with the District Director, your issues are not their problem as I have been told personally.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My mom started out in the Independent Living of the Quadrangle location. The grounds are lovely, the buildings lovely; the Clinic was great, many individuals were great, and the food was great. But everything changed when she went to Assisted Living. Since she moved in a few years back, there have been 5 directors. One didn’t last even a week. There have been 4 head nurses (or what they call “Wellness”) and the most recent one lasted just one month. (The actual nurses are just great and the physical therapists whom they contract with are also wonderful.) There is such staff turnover but you’ll never get any revised contact lists, not even by email, when the whole world communicates important and timely notices by email. They have had my address wrong for over a year and don’t correct it, and I’m the primary person of responsibility.

It’s easy to see that the “hook” is the Independent Living and the Assisted Living gets what’s left over. I fault Sunrise with not providing proper funding and/or training and oversight and problem-solving mechanisms in the Assisted Living facility. The head chef, who has been there a while now, is great; he’s added very healthy food to the menu and is wonderful with communicating and understanding residents’ needs. There was a great Activities director but she left. Why are all these good people going? When somebody leaves or quits, you don’t get an “out of office reply” or response on the phone such as “please contact (new name).” You don’t get an administrative email to please contact so and so. You call again and again and leave messages again and again until finally you ask.

Residents and their families are given poor to no written “instructions” as to how the Assisted Living works. You just have to suffer and learn the ropes. I tried but Sunrise just didn’t want to spend the money on either an improved written booklet or an online resource for families that could be updated regularly. The day concierge is kind of nasty too. The evening concierges are great and will always help you. I love calling after 5 pm.

Don’t get me wrong. There are many people who work here who are GREAT. Many wonderful Care Managers who will come in and take care of you or your elderly parents; as I said the chef, activities directors, the nurses, the PT team. I’ve loved the last two heads of “wellness” but they’ve left. The people who administer the meds (the “med room managers”) are great; they’re professional and kind and communicate well. But the administrative communication is awful and there doesn’t seem to be any mechanism for solving problems and the staff director will rarely take your suggestions seriously, seemingly more interested in defending staff than improving service. I would say that if you’re coming from the Quadrangle Independent Living, so be it. And be prepared. But if you're looking for an Assisted Living place from the outside coming in, find a better place. There are probably plenty of them to choose from.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

The initial experience was okay but the overall was unbelievably brutal to say the least. The lack of care, the neglect - unbelievable. I would not advise or recommend that facility to anyone. My father was in this facility. It was brutally harassed and bullied. There was nothing done to protect him or others from harm. It's all about money and that is basically the bottom line. The owners and or administrators will not dare put their loved ones.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have just left Sunrise of Decatur GA and I am so happy to leave. It is not the place for someone who has their wits about them. The staff, from the executive director on down are condescending and rude. They put on a great show for visiting families but show their true colors when alone with the residents. Major areas of concern: Religions. Sunrise purports to be open to all, but I am not Christian and was harassed by the staff. One of whom told my girlfriend that I was in league with Satan, and by the Activity Coordinator who insisted on leading a prayer before she would drive the bus to take us on a luncheon. This woman also assaulted me the very same trip. Another issue is medication, I often saw meds dispensed four to five hours late and often just left in the rooms, which is illegal. There is a major issue with the staff. It is a terrible job and they are paid minimum wage with almost no training. Don’t want your loved one at their mercy!

Sunrise Senior Living Company Information