4.5/5 (317 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: June 26, 2021

My Philips Lifeline does provide another layer of security knowing that if something was to occur, I could just push a button. When I have accidentally pushed a button, someone was immediately there on the line, which is really good. When you’re home by yourself, you know that you can reach out to someone, and they can talk with you and get help to you right away. That's the main security that I love about the system. I did have one situation where I did not even touch the button, and I heard someone else's conversation. I don’t know how that happened, and that may be something that they could look into because that was someone else's private matter. I know I didn't hit my button.

I just keep my device near me. I don’t like things on my neck. I don’t even wear jewelry around my neck. So, I just have it with me while I’m at home. When I go to my bedroom, it’s the same where I have it right there near me. The only thing is if you lose power at your home, especially with storms, then that's not going to work. It will be affected if I was to lose power because that's plugged in. Thank God, I’m in an area where there’s not a lot of power shortages. If they can make a product that one can take outside of the home, I'll be glad to be in on the details of it. It would be wonders. What I have is an in-home model. Overall, Philips Lifeline is an awesome service for those of us that’s disabled, and even for the families taking care of someone that's disabled. It provides comfort and peace to the person that's needing it and to the family member that's taking care of the person that needs it. It’s working both ways.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I usually have the medical alert device with me by my bed as well as when I sit next to my chair. I test it every month to make sure it's working okay. You press a button and then, the red light comes on. It tells you that you are being recognized that you're on the line. Then, somebody gets on the line and wants to know if you're okay. And you say that this is just a test. They ask if everything’s okay and I say yes. Philips Lifeline is a good company.

Lifeline response

Julie, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear you are satisfied with our service. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 25, 2021

My mother's Philips Lifeline does what it has to do. I make sure that she updates it monthly. She doesn't wear it every day. She does not like it on her wrist. She says it pinches. I also have the wrist one and the neck one. And I guess due to her age, she just doesn't wanna wear that. The agents from Philips Lifeline are absolutely wonderful. Mommy doesn't speak that much English, and they always send me somebody when she updates the device monthly. Somebody on the other line says, “Hi, Luisa. Do you need help?” in Spanish.

Lifeline response

Marla, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that you and your mom are happy with our service. If you ever have any questions about the equipment or need to change anything please call us at 1-800-635-6156 and we are always happy to assist. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: June 24, 2021

The reps were polite, helpful and nice. I got the device from Philips Lifeline where I got a push button, little thing you hang around your neck, and a machine that sits on the counter. I haven’t had to use it but it’s great. When I tested it, I hit the button and told Philips that I hit it. They said there was no problem. I'm doing good with the device and hopefully, I'll be able to use it in the future. If not, at least I know it's there and that'll give me some kind of security.

Lifeline response

Teresa, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to hear this brings you security and please know we are always here for you if you ever need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 24, 2021

The little button that flashes when you're supposed to move has never quit but I've accidentally called Philips Lifeline about four times. Every time, they answer, so I let it flash. The last time, I picked my dog up to give him a hug and he stepped on the button. I accidentally mashed it. I had never had to mash it on purpose but every time, they could hear me and it works. But I bet I moved it 100 times before I decided just to let it quit. In some ways, the medical alert device makes me feel safer. I also keep my phone with me at all times so I can call 911 if necessary. But if something happened to my phone, the device will detect it. But if it doesn’t, I can yell or mash my little button.

One day, I had a nosebleed and I didn't even know I had blood on the little string. But one day, I got to looking at it and it looked strange. So, I took it off. Just washing it wouldn’t help though. I knew you could take a bath with it but I didn't know it might hurt it if you soaked it in Clorox. I let the little button hang out and put the string down in the water. But other than that, I hadn't had any trouble with it. I keep it pulled short. I would recommend Philips Lifeline if somebody needs the device because it has never failed.

Lifeline response

Dorothy, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that you are happy with our service. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 23, 2021

The Philips Lifeline device is nice to have and it makes me feel safer. It's handy and it's not so cumbersome to run. I like it. Philips is a good service.

Lifeline response

Everett, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that our service makes you feel safer. Please know we are always here for you if you ever need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 23, 2021

My father is 85 and he’s got an enlarged prostrate which blocked him from peeing so he had to have the catheter put in. It kept getting crimped and needed to be cleaned. We had all kinds of problems and the next thing you know, he was in the emergency room twice. Once was to get the catheter put in. The second time, he got sepsis from the urinary tract infection and he we didn’t realize how sick he was because he had a catheter in. So, we had to take him to the emergency room. I pressed the life alert and the paramedics were here within 10 minutes. My father is better now. The Philips Lifeline medical alert device has been good. It's been helping him a lot and it is a lifesaver. If I need to call Philips, all I do is press a button and I talk to somebody. Or he presses this little thing around his neck and Philips will come and help him. They'd be here within 10 minutes and the cavalry would come. They are great.

Lifeline response

Robert, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your feedback with us. We are happy to hear that we were able to assist your father when he needed us. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Have not had to use it yet, but set up was very easy and feel confident that will be good service when and if that time comes. It has a clear voice and am sure I will be ready to respond if or when it is needed.

Lifeline response

Jeanette, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to hear that the set up was easy and you feel confident when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I'm disabled and sometimes alone, so Philips Lifeline was more for peace of mind of my family. I've had some issues with it going off when I didn't press it. There's nothing like being awakened at 3:30 in the morning with the firemen standing by your bedside. They said, "Well, we knew it was either going to be a false alarm or maybe you couldn't breathe or something." But I said, "No. I'm fine." In fact, they've come twice. They came another time, came running through my door, and I was sitting here looking at them, and they were looking at me. "Nice for you to come visit." So I've had some false calls.

I have fallen twice, and the second time, I didn't use it. My nephew was here and he just handed me the phone to call 911. It's a relay, so it's a bit quicker. But if you can't get to the phone, it's a good deal. The first time, I couldn't get to the phone, so that was helpful. It has to tie into a landline. Everybody is so hep on getting rid of their landlines and just having cell phones. And at least what I have, you have to have a landline. I've had friends say, "Well, my mom, I might just get her a cell phone and get rid of the landline." I go, "Not if you want them to have a helpline. They have to tie into your landline so they know where you're at. Cell phone doesn't necessarily do that."

Lifeline response

Kay, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to know that our service brings you and your family peace of mind. We are sorry to hear you had a couple of false alarms and can understand that can be frustrating. If you are able to reach out to our customer service team at 1-800-635-6156 they will be able to assist you with any questions that you may have and can share with you some helpful tips to minimize the false alarms. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Philips Lifeline constantly informs us that the battery's going to be worn out and they send a new one. We take care of it, so the device is always working. My mother wears it around her neck and it doesn't interfere with much. A few times, she accidentally hit it on the floor and then the number was called and there was no emergency. However, the three times that my mother fell, the thing did not go off and that's my disappointment. It's supposed to go off. That's the whole purpose of having it. The price was very expensive too. In the AARP newsletter, it said that if you have AARP, you can get a reduction. I went to them and the price went way down, so I'm glad I did that.

Lifeline response
Leslie, Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that your mother's button did not go off when she needed us.
We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you and ensure that you are completely satisfied with our service. If you are able to please call our customer service department directly at 1-800-635-6156.

Please request to speak to a supervisor so they can address all of your concerns. If any replacement is needed we are happy to get this taken care of as well. Please be well, and take care.

Original review: June 20, 2021

My doctor suggested Philips Lifeline and it's been good. A couple of times though, it went off when I was in bed. I must have touched it somehow.

Original review: June 19, 2021

I feel comfortable with Philips Lifeline. It's good to know that I have someone to help me in case something goes wrong.

Lifeline response

Carrie, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to know that you feel comfortable with our service. Please know we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I like knowing that if something went wrong, somebody would know about it. I forget about my device though. One time, I didn't realize it fell off my neck and into the washing machine. When I took my clothes out, I found my device and then Philips Lifeline called me.

Lifeline response

Carol, We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please know we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I have the device that goes around my neck, but I would rather prefer to have the watch on. Also, setting up the device is easy, but when they call me to have me check it, I noticed that it takes them so long to come on. It takes five minutes and I could be dead then. Still, I feel better that I have service.

Lifeline response

Ellen, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to discuss with you other options that we have for your button. If you are able to reach out to our customer service team at 1-800-635-6156 they will be able to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I love my Philips Lifeline. I still got it because I'm still falling. It has helped but I fell outside. It was in the summer, about 100 degrees. I mashed the button, but I was outside and the reps couldn't hear me. So, they called mother. She was on the list and she lives next door. She came out the back door hollering and I told her, "Call an ambulance. Bring me something." And she came out with an umbrella. I would have died of heatstroke if she didn't do that. The reps are very nice. I mashed the device a couple of times, not meaning to. My cat stepped on it. She likes to walk across me. They ask and I tell them, "I'm sorry. It was an accident." And they said, "Don't worry about it. We're gonna reset this," and, "Glad you used it."

My mother got sick so she had to move in with me. I talked to somebody about bringing her machine over here and he said, "That would be fine." He said it could be hooked up on the same phone. But we had to have a splitter to plug it in, and I can't find a splitter. When I leave the house, most of the time, I put my button on her so she can call if she were to fall. We still just got the one but we both use it if we need to.

Lifeline response
Judy, We are delighted to hear that you've had such a positive experience with our service.
Although your fall in the 100 degree heat sounds frightening, we are glad to have been there for you.
If you’re able to, please continue to press your button any time you need help, and for all the accidental times in-between, we're still happy to hear from you.

Thank you for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 15, 2021

Philips Lifeline called the ambulance twice for me. One time, I was really sick and the other time, I fell. When I go down and hit the floor, the device goes off. Some lady comes on the phone and asks me if I'm okay. She talks really good. Pretty clear in my bedroom. The fire department comes first. That takes five minutes. And then the ambulance comes 5 or 10 minutes later. However, the device is only good for inside the house. If I put it on my porch, it’s no good. But I’ve been in the shower and it would go off accidentally, and they would come on. My husband feels better. That's the best part of it. I can walk out there by myself, but my husband is scared to death. The's why we got it. And if I fall, it’s good to have somebody on the other end who will help. I don't have to lay on the floor for hours. I’m happy with it.

Lifeline response

Sharon, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to know that our service is working well for you and please know we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 14, 2021

My experience with Philips Lifeline has been really good. It's been a blessing to have. I'm handicapped and I use a walker to get around but I don't get around real well. I haven’t fallen in years, but that risk is always there. I know, if I fall, that I can get help. I'm not gonna lay on the floor for days. I had some problems with the little necklace going off when it shouldn't have, but they replaced the necklace and I haven't had any problems since. We also test it occasionally. They'll generally call me and ask me to push the button to make sure it's working properly.

Lifeline response

Linda, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to hear you have not fallen for a while. Please know that we are always here for you if you ever need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 13, 2021

The Philips Lifeline has worked for me a couple of times. They call every week and ask if any new occurrences are happening. Fortunately, I haven't had any new experiences, so they always seem to be glad to hear that. They're always very polite and nice. They never put you up against the wall.

Lifeline response

Gene, We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to know that our service worked well for you when you needed us. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 12, 2021

I feel safer having the medical alert device. It has gone out a few times and Philips Lifeline has been nice.

Original review: June 11, 2021

Like I said the unit sits next to my desk. Seldom use it. Not sure if I need it since I use gps and email for needs. I live with my wife so this unit seems useless. Will probably will return it soon. My car has Onstar so if I am away from home I am secure! Fred **.

Original review: June 11, 2021

The Philips Lifeline device is a nice deal to have around. The reps helped me get it all set up and they're on it. I’ve never had to use the device but they get it in case I fall down. I got a necklace that I wear but I like to have a wrist band because I was sleeping one night and I got that button mashed somehow or another. I like having the device around here because when I accidentally pushed that button in my sleep, they had to go down here checking on me to make sure I was all right. They knocked on the door because I had just woken up.

Lifeline response

James, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to discuss with you other options that we have in regards to a different button. If you are able to reach out to our customer service team at 1-800-635-6156 they will be able to assist you. We are happy to hear you were ok when they checked on you when you accidentally pressed your button. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 10, 2021

The Philips Lifeline device worked really well when my husband used it. It was really handy when he had to have it on. We would definitely recommend it.

Lifeline response

Edith, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to know that our service worked well for your husband. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I got the button with the machine in the kitchen. It's a plug-in. It's fine dealing with the Philips Lifeline reps. They would call me and tell me that they’re gonna test. Then, they would call back and ask me if I need anything and I would tell them no. Then, over the machine, I would tell them no. Then, they would say that it was just a test. I could use the medical alert device every day if I had to.

Original review: June 8, 2021

I've had very good service from Philips Lifeline. I've got the device that I wear around my neck and it's comfortable. But sometimes it could get a little longer and when I'd be standing at the sink, it'd accidentally go off. It would be my fault though because I should have shortened the cord a little bit. Other than that, it works just fine and I always have it on. Last Friday, I wanted to mail a card, so I walked to the front of the building and I locked my door. When I came back, my neighbor was here and she was about to open up the door to see if I was laying on the floor. Apparently, my device went off and she had gotten a call from Philips Lifeline. So, I pressed the button after I got back into my apartment and told them what happened. They were really nice about it and their rep said he'd reset my thing. Then, I sat down on the chair and all of a sudden, there was a knock on the door and here were the two guys with the gurney.

Lifeline response

Mary, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear we could be there for you when you needed us. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 8, 2021

It's a good little device. I feel a little bit more safe with it. When I have it around my neck, I could press it, call out, and know somebody will hear me. The response time depends on the day in the week and the time of the day. At max, it's between 5 and 10 minutes but it’s usually within 3 minutes. Without it, I wouldn't have anybody around to help me out until somebody came in and found me.

Lifeline response

John, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our goal is to answer all calls right away so that we can provide assistance when needed. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 7, 2021

The customer service of Philips Lifeline is very good. They always do what I asked. I have positive feelings about the head office that calls me if there is a call needed.

Lifeline response

Mrs. M., Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear we could be there for you when you needed us. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 6, 2021

I pressed the button of my Philips Lifeline last week and somebody answered. I told them I needed the ambulance, and 10 minutes later, there was one here. This is a good service.

Lifeline response

Cindy, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear we could be there for you when you needed us. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I feel a little more secure since I've got Philips Lifeline. It's also comfortable.

Lifeline response

Dorothea, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your feedback with us. We are glad to know that you feel secure with our service and our equipment is comfortable. We are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 4, 2021

My Philips Lifeline always worked when I needed it. I felt good and reassured when everything was shut down during the pandemic, I got a call saying that they were still going to be available if I needed help.

Lifeline response

Opal, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad to hear that you are happy with our service. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 3, 2021

Philips Lifeline makes me feel safe. I know that if something happens to me, I can push that. It works perfectly. It is sitting out there where I always see if all the buttons are on and the light is on. The reps always are super.

Lifeline response

Nancy, Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we are happy to hear that you feel safer with our service. We are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009