4.1/5 (193 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: June 6, 2022

I have fallen months back, and the paramedics came in the house and got me off the floor. A friend of mine was concerned that I would fall again and ordered a Lifeline device for me. I've made monthly payments on it since it was installed, but so far, I have never had to push the button. I got a thing in my wrist that has an elastic band and I push it if I fall. I wear it when I'm here at home and it's comfortable. If I'm gonna be going for a long time out somewhere though, I take it off and leave it. It's no use going out with this because it doesn’t do any good. If I fall out there in the grocery store or somewhere else, this button is not gonna help me.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Having a help button is helpful, but I haven't needed it. However, I have touched my button accidentally a few times, and Lifeline responded right away and made sure I was okay. Even when I said I was okay, they said, "Are you sure you didn't fall?" I said, "Yes, I am. It was just a mistake." I feel secure in here.

Lifeline response

Mary, We are glad that you were ok and did not need any help. We are also happy to hear that our service operated as it should have. We appreciate the feedback and for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 4, 2022

My next door neighbor has Parkinson's that makes her shake and she has no teeth. Communication is very difficult for her and she falls frequently, so she asked me for help. I went to her apartment and got on the phone while she was there and ordered the equipment almost 3 weeks ago and was told it would arrive within 3 to 5 days, but every time I called to check up on WHERE it was, each person told me some wildly different story. I have been scandalized, in particular, by a Lifeline agent I spoke to three or four times who wouldn't even look up her account even though she told them I have permission to do this. He was sarcastic, flippant, and mean.

After weeks of multiple phone calls and total chaos, it turns out that Lifeline did not put the apartment number on the parcel, then the FedEx driver just DUMPED IT somewhere else instead of checking with his dispatcher to find out the apartment number. TWO OF US were in the room at the time I gave Lifeline the original information so Lifeline cannot claim that we did not give them the right information. I cannot stress how upset I am at the way we have been treated by these people. I have SEVERAL times asked to speak to a supervisor and that man at Lifeline told me that a supervisor would call me but no one ever did. It was obvious that he did not notify his supervisor, since I asked for a callback THREE TIMES and I never received one.

That agent sounded like he was laughing at me during the conversations, as if he was having a good time making us upset. How can we trust these people to take care of this vulnerable woman in her time of need when they behave like this? What happens when she falls and needs them to send the paramedics? Are they going to send the paramedics to the apartment complex and tell them to GUESS where she lives? I myself am disabled, and I have a different provider that gives good service. I am going to see if I can get my neighbor's insurance to pay for THAT service instead of Lifeline because Lifeline has proven that they are not competent and at least one of their agents seems to be actively working against the best interests of the client.

Silver,

We are very sorry to hear about your negative experience with us and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback. This is not the customer service we strive for and we will send you a private message to be sure all of your concerns are addressed appropriately.

Original review: June 4, 2022

We had a medical alert service through the hospital in Hebron, Nebraska and it was junk. I like Lifeline better. We've used it a couple times, and the siren part is louder. The response comes from different call centers from all over, and once in a while, it'll take longer. Still, my mother's experience has been pretty good. One time, in the middle of the night, my mother had the necklace off and she had it in her hand. She was messing with it when she was sleeping. The device went off and it started ringing and buzzing. I took off in the bedroom then they asked me, "Marlene, are you okay?" I said, "She was just playing with her necklace." "Do you need help?" I said, "No. I have it under control."

Lifeline response

Robin, Thank you for providing this feedback and for the kind review. We are glad to hear you are happy with everything. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 3, 2022

My husband and I feel better knowing that he has the Lifeline device. He has the one that kind of looks like a watch and he's dealt with it very well. But the velcro on the wristband is getting a little bit questionable. John, the rep we had spoken with about this, said that this could be an issue going forward and if that was the case, to let him know and he would be glad to drop off another one or get it installed for my husband. John has been very pleasant to deal with on our initial contacts with him. He's been very accommodating. The price is also a major plus because Lifeline is less expensive than a lot of the other ones. We've got the monthly fee set up now on an auto pay so that's very convenient. We don't have to think about sending a check every month.

Lifeline response

Carolyn, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us should you need anything we are here to help. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Customer Service is slow, and the website needs work. I spoke to 2 people who did not seem to know the answers to my questions, and there is not tech support for the website. The On the go device however, seems to be working well.

Lifeline response

Venetta, thank you for providing this valuable feedback, and I am sorry to hear the representatives were not able to answer your questions appropriately. If it is okay with you, I would be happy to have a representative call you and answer any questions you may have. Please let me know if it is okay to have someone reach out to you. We would like to be sure that you are completely satisfied.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I have the go-to one now. It takes some getting used to. I accidentally hit it two to three times a day. I am well bent over. So, if I wear it outside of my T-shirt, it swings freely eight inches from my chest. When it does that, it can get bumped into anything, or anything can bump into it. I do wear it inside of my T-shirt. Because otherwise, I can’t put up with it. My Lifeline beeps and it says something like, “I’m initiating an emergency call” or “I detected a fall. And if you want to cancel it, hold the button down for two seconds.” So, I usually do that and it says, “I’m cancelling your call.” Other than that, it does what it’s supposed to do.

Original review: May 31, 2022

Lifeline's reps are helpful. I'm more secured wearing the device.

Original review: May 27, 2022

May 10, 2022 my mom fell. I got her Philips Lifeline just for this. But it did not work. The pendant been not working lately due to low battery level'. The date mark on pendant 2020 two-year-old they were suppose to sent a replacement for a while but it never came. It did not work after she had a fall my sister goes to her house every day and found her dead. She has acid reflux. They way she fell she suffocated in her vomit. A slow death. This company failed my mom. They had a part in her death. This company when I called were more interested in getting their equipment back and did not care about my mom. I got no calls from them to say how sorry they were. They don't care. They just want your money for bad service where your love one can fall and this thing won't work. Avoid this. Find another alert device that works that might save your love one's life.

Mr. Mike,

We are very sorry for your loss and would like to extend our condolences to you and your family. I have sent you a private message that will be e-mailed to you and we can discuss with you further.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I call Lifeline my panic button. You know there's help if you need it and all you got to do is mash the button. You ain't gotta pick up the phone and dial 911. You just hit the button and it's there. The watch is so comfortable that you actually forget that you have it on. I'm glad I have it. Lifeline responds immediately. My device came unplugged one day and I didn't realize it, but they called me and told me that it was unplugged and that I need to plug it back in. I'm telling everyone I know to get Lifeline, especially my elderly friends that live alone and even the ones that don't live alone.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Try to get a watch or necklace! When I fell no button. It has been 3 months without button just have a box with a red light. Had my hip replaced. My girl called me. The box went off but no one said anything. I just want my button. Lifeline if you read this Get it together. Bill **. Watertown, Ct.

Lifeline response

William, We are sorry to hear about your negative experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. We would like to apologize for our shipping delay you experienced. I would to reassure you your button has been ordered and working to expedite this order to you as soon as possible. Once your receive the button please call us with the phone number included in the package and we can help activate this for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to call our customer service team at 1-800-865-7494 and we will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I was very disappointed because my impression was that this was created for seniors living on Social Security. When I applied I was told I made too much money. How can someone living on SS make too much money? My income falls into the average SS check. I feel that the announcement rolling this out was misleading and my joy at potentially getting some financial relief was destroyed.

Lifeline response

Fran, Thank you for sharing this valuable feedback with us, and apologize if this is what you were told. We do work with many different insurance agencies that offer various discounts. If you are interested in finding out if this would be a benefit for you, please reach out to our sales department at 1-800-543-3546. Hopefully, they can find the best option for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 20, 2022

It's reassuring that my Lifeline is there.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I called several companies and I liked the way Lifeline spoke to me. Their customer service is good compared to all the other customer service I've talked to. I always get a person. I always get an answer and a call back.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Their customer service is very good. But the device is a little bulky. It's hard to wear all the time.

Lifeline response

Helen, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. I can suggest our wristband instead of the bulkiness of the watch, however, if you would like to switch you would lose the fall detection feature. If the watch is something you think you may want please give our customer service department a call,1-800-635-6156. Please know we are here to support you in anyway. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 13, 2022

This company is the most incompetent customer service I've ever dealt with. I was sent the wrong equipment for my phone service, I was told that the correct equipment was shipped and on its way only to sit here weeks later and still no equipment and then another phone call. After speaking to 9 different people that my account had been cancelled, asking me why I cancelled, I didn't and telling them that I have no idea where they got that information from, it wasn't me. I have shipped back the wrong equipment per their request on May 5, 2022 by FedEx and as of May 12, 2022 I'm getting another phone call inquiring about has the equipment been shipped back.

This company's customer service has been a most horrible experience, nothing but a stressful situation created for a senior citizen with medical issues and my Medicare Advantage Plan contracting with this company and getting paid for this kind of ordeal. Maybe they've worked for other people but that certainly wasn't my experience unfortunately.

Lifeline response

Janet, We are sorry to hear about your negative experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. I will send you a private message with a solution and hope to hear back from you soon.

Original review: May 7, 2022

They dropped the ball a couple of times getting the Philips Lifeline. I got the pamphlet and started putting it all together but the button didn’t work. I had to wait for another one of them and do it all over again. Then, the rep had to talk me through it because it still didn’t work when we tried it. He had to change something. Also, since having the device, I keep getting calls from them saying that I pressed a button. Sometimes, I could just be sitting here and it would go off. They alert me if it has been tripped and it takes about a minute or two for somebody to come on the line.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I’ve used Lifeline accidentally a couple of times and they responded within five minutes. They were very courteous and helpful. It's working pretty good for me.

Lifeline response

Dennis, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 5, 2022

We've used it once already and everything went well. They responded right away. But I don't like to wear the device. I wear it on my walker. But so far, it works for me. My experience has been great.

Lifeline response

Joyce, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know that we are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 4, 2022

My wife fell on a Saturday morning and Lifeline worked. It's nice to know that it works. I would recommend it. There's a main unit which you have to have plugged into a landline, but it would be nice to have a remote device that would work with the main unit. If she's down in her bedroom and falls and they call, I don't know that they could hear her because she's away from the main unit.

Lifeline response

Jerry, I'm sorry that your wife fell, but very happy to hear that the lifeline worked as it should. For this particular model we do have an extension device that can be used in a separate room. I do want to reassure you that our protocol is to make one attempt to call the home phone and cell phone if listed before we dispatch help. If you are interested in this device please reach out to our customer service department at 1.800.635.6156. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Yesterday, we tried it out for testing and they were nice and professional. They were right there asking, "What's going on?"

Lifeline response

Robert, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know that we are here whenever you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I’ve never had to use my emergency call machine, but it's available and right where it's close. It gets in the way once in a while, with the little string, and gets to the side though. When my daughter went to California for a gospel singing group, they were gone for four nights. I lived alone and felt totally safe. I also live just around the corner from the hospital, but between the two, I was fine. I had someone just call me to make sure that I was up and going as well. So, I was covered by all sources.

Lifeline response

Clara, We appreciate this valuable feedback and we are happy to hear that we are able to provide a service that allows you to feel secure while your family is out of town. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I fell down in my bedroom, so I got a medical alert device and I'm happy. If I fall down in here, I can push the button and I know that if it falls down 'cause I dropped it once, it goes off that way.

Lifeline response

Gerald, We appreciate this valuable feedback. Please know that we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I'm very happy with Philips Lifeline. They are very quick to respond. I used it when I was sick. I went to the bathroom and didn't have my phone with me. I didn't know if I could get back to bed or not ‘cause I was so weak. I pushed the button and my daughter came over really quick.

Lifeline response

Patricia, We appreciate you sharing your valuable feedback with us and happy to hear about your positive experience. Please know that we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I was asked to write a review for a product I ordered in early March. In all fairness they did say it would take a few weeks before I received it. It is now the very end of April and I am still waiting on my Lifeline. It's a good thing I haven't fallen in the last 6 weeks. It also makes it very difficult to review a product you haven't received.

Lifeline response

Angela, We are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. I will send you a private message with what are going to do to get this resolved for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 29, 2022

The Lifeline is real new to me. My daughter is in the healthcare field and she got that for me three months ago. It makes me feel much more secure, but it's gone off twice. When it went off the first time, I was carrying some books in from the garage and I had them against my chest. The books pushed against the button and it went off. The other time, I was dressing and the necklace just fell off of my neck to the floor and it went off.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I live alone, I'm 85 and have all kinds of medical conditions, so having a medical alert device makes me feel safer. I was using Life Alert, and they sent me a new piece of equipment. They wanted the old one back and I had to ship it back. I said, "I'm not shipping it back." I just canceled their service and took on this Philips Lifeline that I had been using for my ex-wife for over a year. We have five kids that were worried about them finding her dead on the floor. Philips Lifeline is so much quicker than Life Alert and I've had absolutely no problems with them. I've never had to use my device, but I test it occasionally. Somebody answers and asks if I'm okay then I tell them it's a test and ask them to reset it.

Lifeline response

Russell, We appreciate this valuable feedback and we are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know we are always here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 27, 2022

My father, who is 99 years old and lives alone, relies on his Lifeline devices to keep him safe at night. The device started to fail on April 6. Called Lifeline and was told replacement would be sent. But would take 2 days to leave warehouse and then sent FedEx Ground. Meaning Dad wouldn't receive it for close to a WEEK. The device is crucial to his safety and this was the best the company could do? We called back several times and case was allegedly "escalated." Ha! Finally found a rep who would help us by reprogramming the device. He also said we would get a replacement since the device was obviously faulty. That was on April 7. He said he would call us back with a tracking number so we would know when it would arrive. He never did. Because Dad did not have this VITAL SAFETY DEVICE AT NIGHT we had to hire caregivers to be with him at night.

The device continued to flash yellow and then red, signaling it was close to failing. Now, three weeks later we still have not received the device and no one from Lifeline ever called us, even though we had lodged a complaint and asked to be contacted. Unbelievably horrible customer care from a company allegedly dedicated to keeping people safe. Needless to say, we now have found a new company, which will send us their device overnight. This terrible episode put our family through weeks of huge worry and large extra expense for Dad's care. We can only conclude Lifeline does not care.

Lifeline response

Lisa, We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with us and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We apologize we did not get this equipment out to you as promised. I know you are with another company, but wanted to acknowledge your review and let you know we will take appropriate action on our end and review this with the appropriate representatives.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I have a bracelet and I'm wearing that. It was aggravating at first, but I've gotten used to it, like a watch. My Velcro is starting to wear out, but it's still hanging on on the band. I haven’t had to use the, but I feel a lot better about having something to keep me secure and safe. I can be out in the yard and use it, too, and that's a big plus. I have told several of people in the family already that if they were looking for something that was affordable that they should get one like I have, and that I like my Lifeline.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I like Lifeline. I've had it for a couple of months and it's okay. I live alone and I get help if I need it. I've bumped it twice and they responded within a couple of minutes.

Lifeline response

Robert, We appreciate this valuable feedback. We are glad that we were able to provide help when you need us. Please know that we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009