4.0/5 (214 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: May 5, 2022

We've used it once already and everything went well. They responded right away. But I don't like to wear the device. I wear it on my walker. But so far, it works for me. My experience has been great.

Lifeline response

Joyce, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know that we are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 4, 2022

My wife fell on a Saturday morning and Lifeline worked. It's nice to know that it works. I would recommend it. There's a main unit which you have to have plugged into a landline, but it would be nice to have a remote device that would work with the main unit. If she's down in her bedroom and falls and they call, I don't know that they could hear her because she's away from the main unit.

Lifeline response

Jerry, I'm sorry that your wife fell, but very happy to hear that the lifeline worked as it should. For this particular model we do have an extension device that can be used in a separate room. I do want to reassure you that our protocol is to make one attempt to call the home phone and cell phone if listed before we dispatch help. If you are interested in this device please reach out to our customer service department at 1.800.635.6156. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Yesterday, we tried it out for testing and they were nice and professional. They were right there asking, "What's going on?"

Lifeline response

Robert, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know that we are here whenever you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I’ve never had to use my emergency call machine, but it's available and right where it's close. It gets in the way once in a while, with the little string, and gets to the side though. When my daughter went to California for a gospel singing group, they were gone for four nights. I lived alone and felt totally safe. I also live just around the corner from the hospital, but between the two, I was fine. I had someone just call me to make sure that I was up and going as well. So, I was covered by all sources.

Lifeline response

Clara, We appreciate this valuable feedback and we are happy to hear that we are able to provide a service that allows you to feel secure while your family is out of town. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I fell down in my bedroom, so I got a medical alert device and I'm happy. If I fall down in here, I can push the button and I know that if it falls down 'cause I dropped it once, it goes off that way.

Lifeline response

Gerald, We appreciate this valuable feedback. Please know that we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I'm very happy with Philips Lifeline. They are very quick to respond. I used it when I was sick. I went to the bathroom and didn't have my phone with me. I didn't know if I could get back to bed or not ‘cause I was so weak. I pushed the button and my daughter came over really quick.

Lifeline response

Patricia, We appreciate you sharing your valuable feedback with us and happy to hear about your positive experience. Please know that we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 29, 2022

I was asked to write a review for a product I ordered in early March. In all fairness they did say it would take a few weeks before I received it. It is now the very end of April and I am still waiting on my Lifeline. It's a good thing I haven't fallen in the last 6 weeks. It also makes it very difficult to review a product you haven't received.

Lifeline response

Angela, We are sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you providing this valuable feedback to us. I will send you a private message with what are going to do to get this resolved for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 29, 2022

The Lifeline is real new to me. My daughter is in the healthcare field and she got that for me three months ago. It makes me feel much more secure, but it's gone off twice. When it went off the first time, I was carrying some books in from the garage and I had them against my chest. The books pushed against the button and it went off. The other time, I was dressing and the necklace just fell off of my neck to the floor and it went off.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I live alone, I'm 85 and have all kinds of medical conditions, so having a medical alert device makes me feel safer. I was using Life Alert, and they sent me a new piece of equipment. They wanted the old one back and I had to ship it back. I said, "I'm not shipping it back." I just canceled their service and took on this Philips Lifeline that I had been using for my ex-wife for over a year. We have five kids that were worried about them finding her dead on the floor. Philips Lifeline is so much quicker than Life Alert and I've had absolutely no problems with them. I've never had to use my device, but I test it occasionally. Somebody answers and asks if I'm okay then I tell them it's a test and ask them to reset it.

Lifeline response

Russell, We appreciate this valuable feedback and we are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know we are always here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 27, 2022

My father, who is 99 years old and lives alone, relies on his Lifeline devices to keep him safe at night. The device started to fail on April 6. Called Lifeline and was told replacement would be sent. But would take 2 days to leave warehouse and then sent FedEx Ground. Meaning Dad wouldn't receive it for close to a WEEK. The device is crucial to his safety and this was the best the company could do? We called back several times and case was allegedly "escalated." Ha! Finally found a rep who would help us by reprogramming the device. He also said we would get a replacement since the device was obviously faulty. That was on April 7. He said he would call us back with a tracking number so we would know when it would arrive. He never did. Because Dad did not have this VITAL SAFETY DEVICE AT NIGHT we had to hire caregivers to be with him at night.

The device continued to flash yellow and then red, signaling it was close to failing. Now, three weeks later we still have not received the device and no one from Lifeline ever called us, even though we had lodged a complaint and asked to be contacted. Unbelievably horrible customer care from a company allegedly dedicated to keeping people safe. Needless to say, we now have found a new company, which will send us their device overnight. This terrible episode put our family through weeks of huge worry and large extra expense for Dad's care. We can only conclude Lifeline does not care.

Lifeline response

Lisa, We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with us and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We apologize we did not get this equipment out to you as promised. I know you are with another company, but wanted to acknowledge your review and let you know we will take appropriate action on our end and review this with the appropriate representatives.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I have a bracelet and I'm wearing that. It was aggravating at first, but I've gotten used to it, like a watch. My Velcro is starting to wear out, but it's still hanging on on the band. I haven’t had to use the, but I feel a lot better about having something to keep me secure and safe. I can be out in the yard and use it, too, and that's a big plus. I have told several of people in the family already that if they were looking for something that was affordable that they should get one like I have, and that I like my Lifeline.

Original review: April 26, 2022

The responses that I've gotten from Lifeline whenever I've happened to activate the device by mistake have been excellent. The quality of the device is excellent, too. But I am very dissatisfied with the lanyard because it doesn't stay attached. There's a good chance that it'll just slip down inside my clothing when I'm out walking and be lost. This particular lanyard came with a new and improved device in December. The old lanyard was just fine. I wish that I detached it when I returned the initial device that I was sent because then I would not be having any problems. I had no idea that they were gonna be sending out such poor-quality equipment.

I don't wanna lose the device. I have to jigger it so that it gets up that short. In order to take it off, I have to release it to take it over my head. Because when it's shortened, it won't go over my head. It's difficult to find to close it, although it's very easy to get it open. I've had three different occasions and been told that I would be sent a new lanyard. But that has never happened. They're not doing what they said they would.

Not only that, I had an occasion when it came off while I was sleeping at night. I must have been lying on top of it because, somehow, they were alerted. But I did not hear any voice message coming over the device. While an ambulance was standing at the ready, the person who was in charge of doing all this did not just dispatch the ambulance but called my son who lives 30 miles away and also called the director of the retirement community where I live and tried to get me on the cell phone. Since sometimes I get prank calls on the cell phone in the middle of the night, I didn't bother to get up and answer them. But when the landline started to ring, I got up and answered the phone. The ambulance never came. But I didn’t want this thing to happen again.

The other day, I went for a long walk, and I put the device in my jacket pocket. When I took my jacket off, when I stopped at the library, the pocket hit the chair that I was meaning to sit on and that alerted the device. I got a message. “Are you all right?” So it's been a real nuisance. I can't believe I'm paying more than $50 for this lack of service every month. But the device itself is what I need. My son wanted to have the comfort of knowing that I was equipped in this way.

Lifeline response

Sara, thank you for providing this valuable feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you have had nice interactions when reaching out to us. If you would like a replacement sent please call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 and they will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I like Lifeline. I've had it for a couple of months and it's okay. I live alone and I get help if I need it. I've bumped it twice and they responded within a couple of minutes.

Lifeline response

Robert, We appreciate this valuable feedback. We are glad that we were able to provide help when you need us. Please know that we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 24, 2022

I ordered my Phillips Lifeline in February 3,2022. As of April 23, 2022 I still have not received my product. When I call the company they tell me that it will be arriving soon. Still have not received it.

Lifeline response

Deedie, We apologize for your negative experience and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We would like to apologize for the shipping delay you experienced. I was able to locate your account and see your account is active. Please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-635-6156 if you have any questions and we will be happy to assist you.

Original review: April 24, 2022

When we first got the device, we set it up, went to various places in the house and it worked. We've never had to use it, but it's doing what we're paying it to do and customer service responds very well.

Lifeline response

M, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 23, 2022

I was out with my great-granddaughters over the weekend playing outside and a lemon fell out of the tree. I tripped over that lemon and fell. My Philips Lifeline worked and everything happened like it's supposed to. The deputy sheriff came out. Also, I got a niece that lives right up the street and she’s a registered nurse. A notification came up on her telephone. Everybody needs to be protected in some way.

Lifeline response

Virgil, I’m sorry that you fell. We appreciate your valuable feedback and glad to know that you received the help you needed. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 22, 2022

The device hangs around my neck and it doesn't bother me. Customer service has been professional too. Overall, Philips Lifeline is good. Elderly people might want to get one because if they fall down and can't get up, they may need help.

Lifeline response

Legrand, We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I've had my Lifeline for a couple of years and I was satisfied. It gave me more sense of security. I don't have it now since I moved to a nursing home.

Lifeline response

Audrey, Thank you for your valuable feedback and glad we were able to assist you when you needed us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Lifeline has made a big difference. It's given me much more sense of freedom and safety. Both times I've fallen, I've not been able to get on the phone. I had to press the button and have the EMTs come out and get me up again.

Lifeline response

Betsy, We appreciate this valuable feedback. We are glad that we were able to provide help when you need us. Please know that we are always here for you when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I was putting on my alert button and putting it over my head. It came unsnapped and fell on the floor. I picked it up and thought nothing of it and I heard them call me on the button and I couldn’t imagine what I had done but they kept asking if I was okay. Finally I realized what I had done and I reassured them I was fine. Then they called me and again I told them I was negligent in how I put it over my head and again reassured them I was alright. I did thank them very much for being aware of my forgetting that they would call but I appreciate that in an emergency they would respond quite quickly. Thanks.

Lifeline response

Sandra, Thank you for sharing this valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear that the response was quick and please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 19, 2022

The reps were nice. The Lifeline is a piece of equipment that saves lives and so far, I've been lucky I haven't had a need for it.

Lifeline response

Ronald, We appreciate you sharing your valuable feedback. We are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 16, 2022

I ordered my Philips Lifeline emergency response unit in January. They don't have any units of any kind in stock and no idea when they will get some in. So, it's now mid-April. I have received no unit nor any correspondence from this company regarding any ETA of shipment. If you need a unit sometime this year, I'd recommend another company since Philips is taking orders to put on their waiting list only.

Original review: April 15, 2022

The watch-type thing on the arm I have is fairly comfortable. But it doesn't want to stay clasped. It keeps coming loose. Other than that, their response time is really good. They always answer in just a few minutes.

Lifeline response

Alberta, thank you for providing this valuable feedback. We are glad to hear you are happy with our response time. If you would like a replacement button we are happy to send one out at no charge to you. Please call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 and they will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 14, 2022

We've got a package that we've been waiting for a long time for a return label. One of those locks you put on the door doesn't work. We've asked them two times and their response is slow. But we’re glad to have our Philips Lifeline and the kids are happy. So far, so good.

Lifeline response

Dick, thank you for providing this valuable feedback. We are sorry for the delay in getting a shipping label out to you. If you need a replacement lock box sent out to you please call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 and they will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 13, 2022

One time, my Lifeline went off on its own when I fell. I was laying on the floor, thinking I gotta press this button because I couldn't read anything that would help me to get up. The next thing I knew, somebody was talking to me. They were very good. Asked me who they wanted me to call and went through everything. It worked out okay. However, it's not comfortable. It's bulky where it sticks out from my clothes. You got to figure out how you want to wear it, like put it in your bra, because that's the best place to keep it if you don't want it sticking out.

Lifeline response

Alice, Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback including your suggestion and glad you received the help you needed. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My experience with Lifeline has been positive. I wear it all the time. I've also used it a couple of times. I have very weak limbs and I couldn't get up. I fell and pushed the button, and they responded. The fire department came out. I'm really pleased with it.

Lifeline response

Carol, Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are glad your experience has been positive and happy to hear you received the help you needed. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: April 11, 2022

We've used Philips Lifeline several times and the experience with them has been very good. Every time we've called, they've called the ambulance immediately. However, the box is in a different area from where the user is. When he's got his necklace with the Lifeline, he just presses it, but I don't think he's able to talk to any of the reps at Lifeline. If the box were in a closer room, they could hear him. But it's in a different room because of the wiring.

Lifeline response

Joel, Thank you for your valuable feedback and glad to hear that you are happy with our service. For this particular model, we do have an extension device that can be used in a separate room. I do want to reassure you that our protocol is to make one attempt to call the home phone and cell phone if listed before we dispatch help. If you are interested in this device please reach out to our customer service department at 1.800.635.6156. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: April 10, 2022

I have used Lifeline several times and the response team is good. The experience has been very satisfactory. It's very expensive though. There are several out there that’s $29 a month instead of 58. But it's fine.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I wanted the Philips Lifeline alert for protection in case I fall. I’ve had it for a few months and I feel a little more secure.

Lifeline response

Rosemary, We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. Please know we are always here for you when, and if you need us. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I was out to eat lunch with the girls, and I had my Lifeline button in my purse, instead of on me. I must have pushed it accidentally and they called my kids. Everybody in the ambulance came out. I wasn’t home. They couldn’t find me. I was in a restaurant that had TVs going, and noise music too. So it could have rang and I didn’t hear it. I didn’t like that the ambulance came out, and I wasn’t home. I would rather not have it. I don't like the cord. It's ugly to wear and it gets dirty.

Lifeline response

Maelene, We apologize for your experience and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If we do not hear a response, we treat this signal as a help needed and follow appropriate protocol so that you know in the event of an emergency you would receive the help that was needed. At this time we only have this style available for the fall detection button. If you are able to you can clean the button and cord with a mild detergent or we are happy to replace the button for you free of charge. Please call us at 1-800-635-6156.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009