4.0/5 (186 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
    • Multiple location technologies
    • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
    • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

I’ve used the device several times and one time, I was having a heart attack and I passed out. Before I hit the floor, I pushed the button and I woke up in the hospital. The last experience that I had with Lifeline wasn’t a good one but it worked out alright. I pushed the button and the woman kept asking me if I needed help. I told her that I needed help but she kept asking and I kept saying yes. My friend who was here called the ambulance and they got the ambulance here before the woman finally got it through. So, she didn't help me much on that one. The device makes me feel more secure. I wish it worked more than just in my apartment.

Lifeline response

Thank you for your feedback, I apologize for the last experience. I would also like for you to know that we do have options to wear outside of the home that has GPS. Please call our customer service number at 1-800-635-6156, to consider our other options.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

My father-in-law is 80 years old and one time he had a seizure. So, we make sure that if we go out or whenever we travel, he has the Lifeline medical alert on. A couple years ago, his back was hurting so he called Lifeline and the hospital came and got him. His only complaint happened one time with the battery. We told him before that he can’t keep overcharging the device. He gotta make sure to make the battery last as long as he can and then charge it when it gets lowered to a certain point. Other than that, we've been good. If it's bad, Lifeline sends us a new one and we send the old one back. So we don't have any problems. His sense of security is better now, knowing that if something happens and we’re not here, he can call us for help and Lifeline helps assist.

Lifeline response

Calvin, thank you for sharing your review, please know we are here should your father-in-law need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

I had trouble with the body part of the device. It wasn't coming through right, and Lifeline sent me another machine, and I couldn't get the darn thing to work. Then, I had about three different people try it. Finally, my son-in-law called and found out that you have to put in the serial numbers for the thing around your neck. That wasn't in the instructions anywhere. So, if you put the instructions together again, the number is in plain letters, but we just didn't know it. We tried everything under the sun, and finally, it worked. When you get your equipment, the complete directions should be there. Other than that, Lifeline is great.

Lifeline response

Thank you for the feedback, I apologize that the instruction's for set up were not clear. I will pass this information along to the appropriate department that handles the instructions and set up and let them know the complications you were having with the instructions when setting up your Lifeline equipment.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

It's nice to have Lifeline in case of an emergency. I've done a couple of tests on it to make sure it still works since I haven't really had to use it and they answer really quick. It's a good service.

Lifeline response

Lisa, Thank you for sharing your review. Please know we are here when you need us.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

I'm on 24-hour oxygen and when I run into situations where I can't breathe, I go to the hospital. But first I press my Lifeline button. So far, I’ve had 14 hospital admissions in a period of about four years and every time, Lifeline would get everybody for me. I wouldn't be without it and I would tell others that they should have it.

Lifeline response

Jean, We are happy to hear that our service is working well for you. Thank you for your kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

They answer quickly and help me out with what I need. I use it frequently. I need somebody to help me get up. Sometimes the fire department has to come. Sometimes they have to take me to the ER if I need stitches. They're very good. I like that the device gives me a feeling of safety.

Lifeline response

Norma, We are happy to hear that our service is working well for you and happy to hear that the responses have been instant. Thank you for your kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Their response time was very good.

Lifeline response

Thank you for your response, please know we are here whenever you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

I've occasionally accidentally set off the alert and the response has been almost immediate. The people from Lifeline who responded were concerned and happy that it was accidental that I called. The experience has been very satisfactory. The device that I have is only good in the house or 15 feet and I usually take it off when I go out. But it's comfortable. My only problem with it is that I am short and sometimes, I lean against the counter when I'm reaching for something.

Resolution response: Nov. 7, 2022

Phillips Lifeline responded to my complaint posted in ConsumerAffairs and sent an upgraded, better-performing system to my mother-in-law, reduced the upgrade charge, and refunded 3 months of charges for the time the system wasn't working. We really appreciate the company's effort to make up for the problem!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

My mother-in-law has used this Phillips Lifeline emergency system (landline version) without a problem. However, since July (3 months ago) there has been a "low battery" warning for the emergency alert pendant. Calling the company, they "promised" a new pendant by July 12. Repeated calls -- response was "shipping problems" have delayed replacement. Here it is 3 months later, and when my mother-in-law really needed it (at night, in her bed), it didn't work. Took her many hours to be able to reach the phone to call someone for help. I called the company today, October 14. Same explanation. And, I am not allowed to open the pendant and attempt battery replacement myself, because that would result in extra charges.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

When we set the device off accidentally, someone calls us. We have a sprawling two-story house and I'm wondering if it goes far into my husband's room. I would like for someone to check that.

Lifeline response

Gary, thank you for your feedback. For questions regarding the device range you can call the customer service department and have them do a range test in your home. Please call customer service at 800-635-6156

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I had made contact per number provided for Philips Lifeline 6 wks ago. Per recording, I received a message stating there was high call volume and I was to leave a return number. After waiting 4 days I contacted a hospital that still provides lifeline for their patients and was told that she would reach out to her contact. I received a call back with 2 working days and life line was ordered. At that time I was told 2-4 wks delivery, most likely sooner. I just contacted Philips today, after 5-1/2 wks and was told, that it still had not been shipped. No information concerning when to expect it but only a lot of excuses. “Backlogged since the end of June”. “Will be caught up by Oct”. “Personnel problems”, “manufacturing issues”, “warehouse changes”. I wish I would have known this 6 wks ago. I would have researched other options. I feel that waiting for a piece of equipment that literally could be a matter of life or death, for this long is not acceptable.

Lifeline response

Cindy, thank you for your feedback. Please allow me to research your information and have someone reach out to you. I am sorry for all the delays you have experienced, I will work my best to get this expedited for you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I don’t wear the device because I can't stand things hanging around my neck. I had one before that you wear on your wrist, and I wore it. I haven't had to use the Lifeline device. It's just been sitting here plugged in but I've called whoever makes this a couple of times. I just want to check to make sure it's working.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Once in a while, the Lifeline device would be hit by something, especially in my kitchen and the very nice man and I got to the point where he would ask if I was in the kitchen again. I'm over 90 so I don't drive a car anymore and I don't do too much by myself. I was 80 when I started with it. I like having it in the shower and I feel very safe. I always carry my cellphone but I could push a button too. The device is convenient but I hated having it around my neck. I quite often put it in my pocket. I would recommend Lifeline for anyone but I never had to use the device and I gave it up.

Lifeline response

Thank you so much for your positive review. Please know that if you consider the Lifeline device again, we will be here when you need us.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I ordered Lifeline service on 8/29/22 and was told it would ship in 4 weeks. It is now 7 weeks later and I am told it has still not shipped and they don't seem to be able to give me any info on when it may be shipped.

Lifeline response

Joann, thank you for sharing your experience. I am looking into your equipment and why it has been delayed. I will work with a supervisor to get this expedited for you. I am sorry for the delay you have experienced.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

I'm glad I have Lifeline. If I fall, I got something on me to call in. I'll push that button and I'll be safe. I'm so used to it now that I don't even think about it. However, I don't like the chain. I wish it had a prettier chain. The device doesn't go very far too. I can go to my mailbox and back or to my garden and back. But it doesn't do anything for me if I'm gonna go downtown.

Lifeline response

Lotte, thank you for your review. If you are looking for device options that allow you to go anywhere, may I suggest the On-the-Go button. This button will allow you to travel outside of your home and has GPS options that if you are ever in need of assistance, we are able to locate you and get you the help that you need. This button may be more expensive than your current option. Please give our customer service line a call for assistance with your options. The number is 1-800-635-6156. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

Every now and then, I give my device a test. They answer promptly. I'm very much in favor of people who live alone having a device like this. It's a reassuring thing to have in the house and wearing the little signal button is no problem. It can blend in your clothes.

Lifeline response

Julia, thank you for your kind review. We appreciate and value your thoughts. Please know we are here when you need us.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

I canceled my Lifeline device several months ago because I'm not satisfied with the way the reorganized company has been administering it. The device had a strange lanyard compared to before. The one that Philips was using was quite simple. You put it around your neck and there's no problem. The one that the new organization gave had to be adjusted every time you put it on and off. That was quite annoying. And the device was much too sensitive, originally. I was getting too many false alarms.

All the people were pleasant but right now, I'm not happy with the service, because I'm being billed. I spoke last week with one of Lifeline’s reps about reversing an error charging my account, and I have not seen the credit yet. Another reason why I left was because I was furious when Lifeline increased the monthly rates without prior notice. That was such an unreasonable practice by the new company. It shows that they're not sophisticated enough to know that you would advise customers beforehand. You just don't increase their monthly charge.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I have called but have not received the alert system. I am in need because my husband has passed away, 8 months later my son passed away, then 2 years later my only other son passed away. There is no one to help me so I thought this would help me if I fall because I am by myself. I called and was told it was ready for shipment.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Mother recently discharged from hospital. Suffered a major stroke - paralysis & aphasia. That same night she fell out of her hospital bed. NO CALL was made to Lifeline. Luckily I had installed a camera and when I checked in I could see she was on the floor. When I called Lifeline, they said that it only detects falls from a STANDING position and a minimum of 4 feet height. NO ONE told me this when I signed up and there is NO reference to this on their website. Not all falls happen in a standing position. Scenarios like trying to get out of bed for the toilet in the middle of the night, or getting some water or food or just rolling off. Even getting up from a chair reaching for a walker will NOT trigger a call. Calls will NOT be made in these scenarios.

Luckily I had the foresight to set up a camera and at bedtime I checked in and found her out of bed and on the floor with her arms flailing around. I had to call 911. Sorry, but I got this for peace of mind and for fall alerts - of which none of these I got. I live almost 3 hours away and although she should be in a LTC facility, she demands to be home. So this was to help me, being a distance and her most of all. Very very disappointing. Depending on your situation, please consider the height and bed scenario - else it's a useless tool.

When I first got the device, I gave specific instructions that my mother suffered from aphasia. Yet when she got Covid the next day, and was sent back to hospital, she kept pressing the button (confused due to some meds), and Lifeline called me saying they can't understand what she's saying. I told them to LOOK at the INSTRUCTIONS/her profile and her inability to speak (aphasia) vs. complaining they can't understand her.

Sorry, I don't like to give bad reviews, but when I really needed this to detect a fall and call on my behalf, they failed. I shouldn't have had to rely on my camera. I guess it was good that I had a backup system, but I shouldn't have had to in the first place. So you're either sitting, lying down or standing. Lifeline will only work in one of these 3 scenarios. Please consider this before proceeding. Cameras is not the best solution, but an add-on for peace of mind. God bless - I hope you don't ever need such a device.

Lifeline response

Jacqueline, Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. I am sorry for your mother's experience with the Lifeline unit. I have sent your concern to a supervisor and someone will be in touch with you to discuss.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I tried to get the device connected again, but it's not connected.

Lifeline response

Ellen, Thank you for providing this feedback. I apologize for you experiencing a delay in receiving your equipment. I will have a supervisor reach out and speak with you regarding your delay in receiving equipment. Also, I will work on getting this expedited for you as well.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I have not used the Lifeline device but the quality and the comfort are good so far. Somebody recommended to me, which was why I got it. So, she was very pleased and I'm okay also.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Last month, I lost my bill so, I sent a check to Lifeline for the amount. I didn't have any receipt and I hope they got it. I applied twice for it to be automatically drawn out of my checking account but Lifeline has never done a thing about it. I've had it now for a year. Still, my experience with them has been good. I feel more reassured that if something would happen, I could get ahold of somebody. I haven’t fallen since I got it. But I got it and I’m happy with it.

Lifeline response

Marie, thank you for providing your valuable feedback. I will have someone call you to confirm that the payment was received in addition to they can help set you up with autopay. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I have the neck chain and if I happen to hit that right and it calls it, then it will respond to me. It's always answered whenever I happened to hit it. I used to try to call in every month and make sure it was working, and it would always connect me. The device is right here in the house. It would be heard in here if I was outside. It doesn't go that far though. My lot is 175 feet x 275 feet. If I was at the end of my property, it wouldn't hear me. The other side of the coin is, if I was that far away, I don't know if I would even hear it because I'm 86 years old and my hearing is not what it used to be. Also, I thought we were supposed to check once a month, but I haven't done that and they haven't called and told me it was time to check my Lifeline either.

Lifeline response

Phyllis, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with us. Please know that you can always feel free to test your button any time you would like. When testing the equipment you can let the person know that you are just checking the equipment for the month. We are happy to hear that our service brings you confidence and your experience has been very good. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Philips Lifeline made a change to their device and every time I moved on the bed, it would go off. I would not wear it because of that. It went off many times for no reason and I had to call the neighbors and stop them from coming. I had to stop the ambulance too. Now, Philips put a different one in and this one hardly ever goes off. I could fall or almost fall and it doesn't make any difference. It doesn't always go off when it should. That aside, the device doesn't bother me when I wear it. When I pushed the button, it worked. But I'm not really satisfied with the way it works. My experience has not been very good on the whole.

Lifeline response

Maurice, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us regarding your button. I would like to have a supervisor reach out and speak with you and see if we can provide some assistance with the unit you have in your home.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

There was a time when the phone would be off the hook and Lifeline said a line was removed. It was alerting us that something was wrong with that. So, it's pretty good. Adele has it around her neck 24/7. The only time she takes it off is when she's going into the shower and I come with her. I'm with her 24/7. During the outage, Lifeline works too. I'm happy about that. The device on the chain works good for her. I'm happy. I love it.

Lifeline response

Fatu, hank you for being part of our family and glad that you feel confident with our service. Please know we are always here when you need us. We appreciate the feedback and for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

My cleaning lady accidentally set the button off and they responded very quickly. Lifeline makes me so comfortable.

Lifeline response

Danice, We are glad that you were ok and did not need any help. We are also happy to hear that our service operated as it should have. We appreciate the feedback and for this kind review. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I've only tried to use it one time, and I didn't get results. I had a fall last Tuesday night and when my neighbor called, she didn’t get a satisfactory report. One time, the device fell on the floor, and they called and asked for the information. But this time, they only asked my neighbor if I was okay.

Lifeline response

Mary, thank you for providing this feedback and I would like to apologize to you for what you experienced. I would like to have a member of our customer service team reach out to you to speak with you regarding your experience.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Answered the call and had no idea that my Medicare Advantage Plan would be responsible for the fees. Was very happy to hear that. The customer service man was very kind, and patient, and answered my questions. The entire sign up was quick, fast, and the device was here in about 3 days. Love that I can use it in all the 50 states and works well.

Lifeline response

Nellie, We appreciate you taking the time to provide this valuable feedback. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I wear Lifeline everywhere I go. I feel very secure with it. I like it fine.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I like it. I wear it all the time. I accidentally set it off and it works.

Lifeline response

Nettie, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please know we are here when you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
    AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
    iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
     World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009